Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nukeleman. This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f h F Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore.
Speaker 2: Brent, I appreciate that you got your hunter orange wedding ring on today.
Speaker 3: I am don't get shot walking through the woods.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the bear Grease Render. This is a this is this is our Christmas episode. Oh did you guys know it?
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 1: This is this is the Christmas episode. It's great to have everybody got a great group of people today. We're actually going to have there is one very special guest, surprise guest, surprise Christmas guest that's going to be coming in here in just a minute. But oh and here she comes. Now come.
Speaker 2: Is this making an official tradition since the second.
Speaker 1: Year your headset. This is my mother Juju Newkeom. She just has a small Christmas message for all of us. She's brought what have you brought us?
Speaker 3: Judu?
Speaker 4: The Christmas cookies? I bring every here. Okay, I do have to admit I have a little help this year.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: My sister Cindy told me how good the Sam's decorated Christmas cookies. And I had a busy, busy week, but I didn't want to forget that It's Christmas and we've got to celebrate.
Speaker 2: A little bit with cookies.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: The next best thing was nothing.
Speaker 1: So okay, So we have a beautiful plate, Brett, why don't you describe these cookies.
Speaker 5: We got white and green trees shaped cookies that are decorated with icing and little sprinkles.
Speaker 1: I liked how my mom brought those in a plastic box, took them in my house and then put them on a Christmas plate and put cellophane over it looks it looks okay, Juju your Christmas message? What would you like to say to the bear Grease people?
Speaker 4: I just want to say that I can't believe it's been a year. I remember last year Bailey was with us, gave such a sweet little message. I was hoping she'd be here today. I just want to wish everybody merry Christmas. And just I love reading y'all's comments to Clay.
Speaker 1: She is very protective of.
Speaker 4: Specially love is when you mentioned your kids and how you're happy that that that Clay can do a podcast that the kids can listen to, and I just think that is souper. So get Merry Christmas. I hope y'all have a great Christmas, celebrate with your families.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Juju, Thank you excellent.
Speaker 3: She reminded me of this is a review that I saw.
Speaker 1: Today We solve iTunes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we need to pray for this guy because apparently he died in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: It says both shows are great.
Speaker 5: I hope Country Life sticks around, but he gave us five stars before.
Speaker 1: You all right, well, thanks Ju, thank you, Jujuy, passed those around, pass the cookies around green Okay, So we have Brent Reeves here from this Country Life podcast. Brent, I'm going to come back to you and I want to talk about the Meteor Live shows that you were just on cool here, you were a big hit. We have a very special guest. He's been on here a couple of times. Bear John, the greatest Hunter.
Speaker 5: I know, yeah, me too, my favorite new come a hunter right here.
Speaker 1: You know, I described when I'm trying to tell people about Bear I'm like, if you turn me and Barry loose in the same woods with a bow, and said, you know, the guy who kills the deer first wins.
Speaker 3: A car, right, Like, you're walking home.
Speaker 1: I mean I'd probably be walking home. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was at school the other day talking to Bear and he was he was like.
Speaker 1: Did you hold on? Did you hear that beep? People have accused me of that being a microwave going on he's heating up. No, it's not a microwave for some reason. My uh my, my computer beeps. So carry on.
Speaker 2: Though, Joshua day and and he's got one tag left right Bear, yep, one do tag?
Speaker 3: One do tag?
Speaker 2: And he said, I'm gonna take it with a traditional.
Speaker 1: Bo mm hmm self bow.
Speaker 2: And he found a good spot. But he concocted this scenario that I thought, that will never work. You know, I try to be supportive, but that'll never work. He comes back to the next day.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why he's here. Later, he's gonna tell us what happened.
Speaker 2: So what what's the title of this of this method the scent pouch sent bundle.
Speaker 1: Since sim Fondle Bear has a news strategy, we're going to talk about fabulous. Yeah, so Bear John's here to Bear Johns left, Colby Morehead, Bear Honey Magazine, the man.
Speaker 6: Yep, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Welcome to me.
Speaker 1: You've been on You've been on here several times. Yep, so Colby, uh So. For eight years before I worked for Meat Eater, I owned and operated Bear Honting Magazine, the world's only print Bear Honey Magazine been in print for over twenty three years. Colby worked with me for several years and pretty much was running the magazine for me. And then when I went to Meet Eater, Colby now owns just miraculously, just like I am. We don't even know how it happened. Now owns and operates Bear Honey Magazine is sir, which which we gave a little plug last week for full cry. Oh yeah, so now this week it's Bear Honey Magazines. I like it and you need to subscribe to Bear Honey Magazine. It's just got all types of bear hunting across the country, outfitters, all kinds of stuff. It's great, good stuff. Good to be here, yep. To Kolby's left, Josh Lambridge Spilmmaker. Great to see everyone. Josh is the fashion, the fashion eiast of the Bear Grease podcast. I wish it was me. I mean, you're wearing a like a howl or shirt with a little got some embroidery on the shoulder. Yeah, embroidery. I mean you just always look cool. Well, I mean you are wearing muck boots.
Speaker 3: Boots covered in deer brains.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well you look good, Josh, You're looking good. To Josh's left, Gary Believer Nukem, which it's very important that's usually here, but it's very important that he's here today because on this episode of The Render, which if you're new to this, you know, The Render is when we talk about the podcast that just came out, and we did something this week that we have never done in the history of Bear Grease as.
Speaker 3: We Yeah, you basically took a vacation.
Speaker 1: We re ran a classic, Josh, That's what it's called to re ran a class last So we're going to talk about the the ripples, the ripples in the in the world that happened when episode one of Bear Grease hit the hit, the hit the planet. So, Brent, you went to the live show.
Speaker 5: Kansas City, How was it the green room? There a lot better than this one. Wow, this got Christmas cookies. When they said, uh, you will go back here. I was talking with Chester and Chesters like Chester Floyd's Chester's like come back here, man, at the green rooms. Back here, we're going to chill back here before the show and everything. And there's coffee, tea, cookies, an assortment of nuts. What's on of them? What's that crazy tray name that's got board? Yeah, I'm scared to say that anyway, that thing's on there. Okay, you come up here to the World Headquarters. If you're thirsty, you better have brought some water with you or Misty will make coffee.
Speaker 1: How did this turn into it?
Speaker 3: Coffee?
Speaker 1: Backhand?
Speaker 3: The coffee pot is what we need out here?
Speaker 5: Is its?
Speaker 3: Three years?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Well, let me give you some advice.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is the first time anybody's ever even suggested it. Have you not seen the suggestion box?
Speaker 3: No? I haven't. Okay, but that that's it.
Speaker 1: Other than all the negative things that are happening here. How was the live show?
Speaker 5: Oh, the last show was great. It was wonderful. I'm still in the green room. It was good man. It was so much fun, you know, and we get to talk to people occasionally you know through social media that that listened to the show, but to be able to look at him in the eyeballs and and talk to him, it was just it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: How many people you think were there?
Speaker 5: I was over two thousand, Oh wow, huge auditorum, Yes, big, it was. I want to think the seating capacity was like twenty three hundred and when I wouldn't it wasn't one hundred percent set out, but it was like individual chair, individual seats here and scattered out. It was wow, maybe ten seats left out of that thing. Wow, it was. It was really it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: And they had you tell the story. Yeah, Brent told me. He was like right before the show. Renella was like, hey, Brent, why don't you tell that story about that that crackhead that was painting the red car in his garage. It was like, what I mean, like if everything that Steve has ever heard come out of Brent's mouth or heard about Brent, or I don't even know if he heard you tell that story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I told I think I told up to him on the first time I was on the on his podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, and yeah, and Britt was like, Okay.
Speaker 3: That's the story that you want to hear.
Speaker 1: Why don't you tell that one to us?
Speaker 5: He digs it. That was, Uh, give me tell you. Here's a condensed version of us. Marshalls had a warrant for a guy and a big myth and fed of Me distributor and they had tracked him down to a rural farmhouse in Bradley County and they contacted us.
Speaker 3: Our team goes down there.
Speaker 5: We split up, hit the house and it's like, I can't remember, it's like one or two o'clock in the morning, and we split up to two teams. One hits the house, one hits a garage that there was a light on, and that was.
Speaker 3: One that I went on.
Speaker 5: And we went in and we opened the door expecting the guy to be in there cooking meth, you know. So we're all masked up and got all the safety equipment on and we hit the door and opened it up. And that guys sitting there on a on a bucket with a paint bro a phone paint bro painting his car's.
Speaker 1: At two am in the morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got paint all over him and he's been painting this one fender like I mean, and I told him there it was like had forty coach, like more coats of paint on it than the Batmobile. And he's just back and forth, just empty cans of paint all around him. And he had been up for like nine days straight. Oh my cuss, so.
Speaker 3: Painting that fender. He's doing a heck of a job.
Speaker 5: Wow, but rational thing anyway, that's something you generally do after being awake from her. That's the story that he wanted to hear. And I told one about a canned ham that everyone everybody really enjoyed.
Speaker 1: Tell us that one.
Speaker 5: My mother in law, after my third or fourth episode came out, she sent me a text. My mother in law is the absolute She is like Juju part two. I mean, she is just the sweetest thing ever. But she has no clue about hunting, fishing, anything outdoors.
Speaker 3: But she loves that. I love it.
Speaker 5: And she she said this met text message and said, Brin, I love to listen to your episode.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 5: She's I can just see all the things and hear about the stuff that my dad used to talk about when when he was doing all the stuff that you're doing. She said, I just got a question about one of the commercials. She said, where can we get some of those hams? And I thought, hams. We don't advertise hams. And I sent her a text back. I said, I don't know what you're talking about, Mama. This is my mother in law, but we all call her mama. And she said, oh yeah, your boss, your boss, Steve never goes hunting unless he's taking those canned hams with.
Speaker 1: A trainer.
Speaker 6: I want to get some of them, get on top of them in glasses.
Speaker 5: So I did a screenshot of a can am and sent to us, said this is what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: Mama.
Speaker 5: She's like, oh, well, I was just wanting to support your coming. Those canned hams are great.
Speaker 1: That's funny. That's funny. Well I think that, uh, since this is a podcast about mountain lions and uh, Kobe, you you brought up an interesting point. I did would tell me.
Speaker 6: You know, I was just excited to come to this one because it's almost like the first render. This this episode never had a render.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah, this this episode. So when it was this is kind of a time when we're like opening up the back pages of the Bears podcast when we started Bear grease. We didn't have a render. It just came out every two weeks. If you remember the first like six or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how many episodes was it.
Speaker 6: I think episode seven was the first render.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So so for like fourteen weeks, it was just an episode every two weeks and then yeah, yeah, and then we had we had the first render, which was kind of an experiment because I had like it was like, I don't know if these guys are entertaining or not. I invited some of you here to come to it.
Speaker 3: Who was on the first render?
Speaker 5: I don't even remember me.
Speaker 1: Shoot, I don't I know. Malachi Nichols was on there, that's right. I think Dan Rupe was on there. Doctor Daniel was on there for I think the first one. Maybe not, maybe he was later. But anyway, we the renders become an important part. So Kolbe said, a lot of this podcast has been living rent free in his head.
Speaker 3: It's true, and he's.
Speaker 1: Got a lot he wants to say.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 1: But I thought this would be a great time for Barr to tell his his story. So Josh Bear, because bear story involves a cat, yes, a feline, a wild a wild cat. So so what what did Bear tell you at school the other day.
Speaker 2: Well, I asked him. I said, you got one tag left? Yeah, you're gonna take it with a with a trad boat. Yeah, And he said, I found a great spot, but the wind keeps the way the wind comes down this creek. He's like, I get winded, and he's like, I've got this idea, and he lays the this idea out to me, and I'm thinking, has anyone ever thought of doing this? But I mean, like I felt like I was talking to a Native American.
Speaker 5: Who was like, what's he doingange smoke signals? Can we get more stereotypical here?
Speaker 2: But I was like, I was like, I mean, it's definitely not something you've ever seen on any Hunting Channels show or you know, something that people talk about.
Speaker 1: So so what what did you do? Bear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to story because he went through it real quick and I was going through it in my head. But I want him to relay the details.
Speaker 1: Okay, pretty much, I'm sitting out a spot where there's a riverbed right behind me, and it's it's just a riverbed that meets up to the main river. Main River's flowing real fast sucks all the wind south, and including in this little riverbed that's right behind me, all the wind there gets sucked south. So even if it's north wind, the wind's gonna go south right here. And I know where three deer are bedded because I watched him do it.
Speaker 5: I told me.
Speaker 1: He said, Dad, I walked almost twenty miles yesterday, I only found three deer. And I was like, it was just kind of a weird statement. And he's like, I literally know where these three deer sleep. He's like, I bumped him out of the same spot how many times?
Speaker 3: Three times?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like when he said I know where three deer are, He's like, no, no, no, I literally know where three deers sleep. They still brought by that rock every day. They go really hard to find. But so yeah, pretty much. I watched him bed down one time and they winded me. Came in another time. Now are you are you hunting out of a stand? Yeah, I was hanging a stand and I watched them go in there and bed down, and then they winded me. And I went in there two more times at like midday or like early morning, and they'd win me. So they were bedding in the same spot, which usually they don't, and they every time they'd come out of their bed, they want to go north, but they smell me because the creeks carrying your sent down even if the prevailing wind is yep, favorable, yep. And so pretty much my idea was to get like a bundle of like clothes, boots, make it, you know, stuff that smells like me, go stick it where my stand is, and they come around the backside and hunt in that riverbed. Because every time they'd spook, they'd go to the same they'd run and they cross the river in the same spot. And uh so pretty much that's so, so how did you execute that? Okay, so there's a there's a like a trail that goes this is before school, Like this isn't like something he was doing, Like he did this before he came to school, right, So there's like a trail that kind of goes around like the backside of where these does bed. And so pretty much I woke up real early across the river, go around the trail, and I just creep in this river bed right to my stand and I just lay all my clothes there. You're assuming the three does that, you know, that you have named are not in there right now. They're out well doing what they're doing well. I mean that's kind of the idea. I think they're in there, But why wouldn't they They couldn't there, they would have winded. They don't win me until they get out in the river bed the first so they bed a little ways into the woods and the wind isn't hitting them right there, and so pretty much I came in on this trail, set my wood put out there. I put a did you put some of my stuff? There's all my stuff. Dad used to Dad used to get bad at me for like abusing his gear, like just using it like it was my own. YouTube Josh, And I'm wondering what bear left out in the woods. He's probably like, yeah, I took your good first light. Uh you know, your first light, puffy and your good boots. Now I put my muck boots, pair of socks used. Yeah, just one of my big first light jackets corners orange that was covered in deer blood. Okay, you know it smelled like me and I crept around the backside. While I was creeping around the backside, I spook probably fifteen turkeys up above me. And they all spook towards the way that I was going. So I get back around. I get in the main river, creep up and still dark. Yeah, still dark. And I get to a spot where, basically like the envision, just like a river bed, and it drops where the water usually flows and there's about a three foot drop and then there's some weeds growing there. And pretty much that's the only place I can hunt where I can shoot where the deer is going to be because they, you know, the river bed's like thirty yards wide, I can only shoot like. It's pretty much wrny.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bone dry and remind me of bone dry riverbed. Okay, carry on, and the you know, the main river's sixty yards behind me, and pretty much I sneak in there and I'm about like ninety yards from where these deer would usually pop out. And I get there and I'm just sitting on my knees. It's real cold, and I sit there for probably thirty minutes and I look up and there's a bobcat with a squirrel in its mouth. At first, I couldn't really tell what it was. I thought it was a because I was in there a couple of days before and saw a coyote tried to shoot it in that same riverbed.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 1: And so at first I kind of thought I was a coyote saw how to squirrel in its mouth. But it got closer at guy the more I realized it was a bobcat, And so I knew I couldn't really move because it was like thirty yards facing me. I'm on the ground and you've yet to say that you're you're shooting an O sage self bow made by David Albright, one of our David's really we consider him family. It's my brother's father in law, David Albright. And a self boat is the most primitive of archery gear. I mean it's essentially a bow carved out of one piece of wood. Most modern boat, most modern even traditional bows are laminates. They're recurves long bows that are made from laminated wood and different synthetics sometimes that make them make them more durable. A self boat is the most primitive style. So it's a slow it shoots slow. They're they're a little harder to aim because the shelf of the bow is kind of out further. There's just a self bow is like hyper primitive difficult. Yep, on the ground in the creek with yourself bow. Yeah, and so I already had my bow up. Here comes a bobcat with a squirrel in his mouth, yep. And he just comes straight towards me.
Speaker 2: Slightly to my just like trotting along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, c is he walking slow or trotting? Trotting? What was the squirrel's tail doing? No idea of squirrel's dead, So it looked like that squirrel, Yeah it was. And he comes and he gets about five yards from me, and at that point he's between me and the weeds, and I was able to move a little bit, and uh, so I moved my bow to where he's gonna be. And he comes down and he's standing right on this slope right you know, where the drop is, and he's probably three yards from me. I mean he's probably from me to that computer behind you, and there's some weeds between me and him. And at this point I I'd already drawn back. And he looked at me once he got there, and I was just like.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, he got a mouthful of squirrel.
Speaker 1: He thought he'd beat the day man. And I just knew that was I knew that was the only shot I was going to get, and so I shoot, and I either shot high or hit the weeds, and it just skipped right over his back and he pitched the squirrel and ran like ten yards behind me and just stopped there, looking at me broadside. And I guess he just didn't want to leave his squirrel, or he was curious or something. And so I just stood there, and I have a back quiver on and I just reached back and pull out my other arrow and just draw back and I shoot, and it kind of ducks and turns, and I just hit it right in the back of the head and it just drops right there. And so I go, get the cat, get the squirrel. And no more than seven or eight minutes later, I just hear some cracking coming from out in front of me, and so I and I'm not in my last arrow, and and I see a I see a dough coming down and it is a it's been scared by some dirty socks. I mean, it was moving. It's moving. If you were writing this, you would say the dough moved at the pace as if she'd been sent by a pair of Well, all I can say is that I saw them go north three times in the morning, and this time they were going south, So I mean, I don't know, they weren't like really spooning, they were running. No, No, they were pretty calm. So I don't know. But I actually really appreciate that you're not giving full credit because I think that, especially when it comes to scent, hunters completely make like real significant judgments of what an animal does, like real definitive judgments like the animals smelled me and did this, or they didn't smell me and they did that, when it's really kind of are you sure that's the way it happened. So I appreciate that because when Bear told me, he was like, I'm not sure that my scent bundle pushed him this way.
Speaker 3: But that's just because he didn't want to get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, so but they came, So here comes these DearS. Your going too, So you kept hunting. You gathered up the bobcat and the squirrel just like had him sitting right beside you.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, whenever I was lewer my mow, my bow got stuck on the arrow that was into bobcats. And so you're you're going to continue to hunt.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, and pretty much the big dough walks out eighteen yards and I have a short, wide broadhead on that's real light. It's so when you're shooting the traditional bow usually have a specialized heavy head, especially a self bow that's not shooting as hard. We didn't really have much time to get him ready for this, and so he just had like standard looking broad Yeah, and the first two broadheads, both the ones that I shot the bobcat would have been perfect that it was just kind of my backup broadhead, but I didn't think very much of it. And pretty much the doe walked out at eighteen yards, I shot and just hit her right behind the shoulder and my arrow bounced off literally made a d get any penetration, no, And I mean like it had like hair on it, but it just I mean it was just laying right there. And they all just ran back into the world and ran across the river. And those are the only three der I could find, So I pretty much figured my humble was over. Wow, Bunt, what do you think of that? Man's awesome? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Uh, Bear called me on man. He said it had a pretty cool hunt. I thought i'd better tell you and I thought, I, Oh, we care that little sucker.
Speaker 6: It's just crazy what he did that morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found bobcats. Bobcats were highly elusive to me as a bow hunter for years. I didn't kill until I was an adult. I missed five bobcats before ever killed. I think I've killed two now with a bow. They're hard to kill and to kill one on the ground at like point well to get a shot off, even at like point blank range.
Speaker 3: Two shots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's pretty that's pretty cool, pretty cool. Uh No, I was gonna say, remind me of the Dry Creek bed.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, when you sent me the picture, I was in Alaska, No, no, where was a Yeah, I was in Alaska and uh And he said I killed bobcat. I shot it had a squirrel in its mouth, and I was just like, oh cool. And I see the picture. And I looked at that picture for two days while I was in Alaska before I finally zoomed in and I was like, oh, there's a squirrel.
Speaker 5: I didn't see the squirrel either. Oh really, the squirrel looked just like a immediate it to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. So he took the picture with the squirrel laid there. But somebody, you know, I put that on my Instagram and you know, like ninety nine percent of the people were just like, Wow, that's cool. And somebody was like, if he shot the squirrel crossing the creek, or if he shot that bobcat crossing the creek, why aren't the bobcat's feet wet?
Speaker 3: He was like.
Speaker 1: Thought, like like we were trying to pull one over on the world. And I almost responded back to him, but I didn't. And I was going to say, my brother, have you ever seen a bobcat cross the ozark extreme They don't get their feet wet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, rock to rock.
Speaker 1: I mean, anyway, good hunt, good hunt, good hunt. For sure.
Speaker 7: I asked Bear, kind of the city boy that I am at heart, what are you going to do with that squirrel? I mean, it's killed by a bobcat, its teeth is penetrated to meat, and you know, I'm he said, well, I guess I'll take it home, put it in a freezer, no question.
Speaker 2: What did you do with it?
Speaker 6: Bear?
Speaker 1: Well? I ended up I cut a backstrap out of the bobcat and cut you know, the legs off the squirrel and ate them for dinner. You ate the Bobcat piece of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was it good.
Speaker 1: It was actually pretty good. I mean it wasn't anything special, but like it smelled terrible when I skinned it, so I really thought it would be nasty, but it just tasted like meat, Like cat meat is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Some of the best meat I've ever had was Mountain Lion that you.
Speaker 1: Gave Mountain Line. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, for sure. The here's something that the bear grease world can can do for for me? For meat Eater, for Steve Vanella, welcome, miss Newcomb. Have a seat, doctor. Mister Newcomb has just joined us. Let's giver it a round.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Here's something that the bear grease world could do for me. On January the ninth, the audio original The Long Hunters, How are you, doctor Newcomb? Good to be here, great bear just told this. Let me tell you. Juju came in and gave a Christmas message to a.
Speaker 3: Bear.
Speaker 1: Just told us about his Bobcat squirrel deer hunt was really great.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Brent told us about how he had a great time in Kansas City, probably even better than coming here. He had a better time. He had a better time there than with us as people. Wow, it hurts so and now we're talking about Now we're talking about the Long uh January ninth, Meat Eater, Meat Eater, American History. The Long Hunters seventeen sixty one to seventeen seventy five Audio original Me and Steve Vanella. You can pre order it now. But here's the deal. We have pretty big plans to make more of these, and if we sell, if we sell a bunch of these, we're gonna be they're gonna want us to do more. And so you can pre order this and it's you listened to it like an audiobook. It's gonna be five to six hours. And I'm telling you, there has never this data has never been gathered and put in one place. It was. There was a lot of questions the way Steve described it as the historical authors that wrote about the time periods with the Long Hunters, and even modern historical authors are often not hunters, and they don't focus on the things that hunters and really people that are living close to the land are interested in. And he had all kind of questions about a lot of different stuff. And Randall Williams thieve and I we we developed this book. Brandon Williams did a lot of the research, and it's I just can't imagine someone that likes any kind of American history and deer hunting to not for this not to be like essential reading. Well, I would say reading material. But it's an audio original listening material. So go and you can pre order it.
Speaker 2: Now, where do you go to pre order It's.
Speaker 1: It's easy to find. It's on the Penguin Random House Audible. It's audible. Yeah. So anyway, do that be doing a favor favorite to the Bear Grease world?
Speaker 3: So do that?
Speaker 2: Are there options to like boot leg it? So I have to pay for it, I mean, get credit.
Speaker 1: For it if you bootlegged it. I just let somebody know, you know, just like a penguin me, just so they can like put a little tally mark on it. Yeah, tally marks. That makes me think of something that I learned just this week that the Native Americans used a bear femur to keep track of different things in the archaeological record. They would take a big bear and make tally marks on bear. Yeah, yeah, making notches for stuff, tally marks. Okay, that was just a little aside. Episode one of Bear Grease. I noted a few things about it Brent Reeves was actually the first voice ever heard on the Bear Grease podcast.
Speaker 5: That's not true. It was second to yours.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you were? You not the Cold Open? Oh but I said the Cold Open episode one first interview, Well it was the cold Open though, Yeah. And then it was Brent Reeves, and then I did my little I did my little open burritos ready, and then it was Dad talking about how he had just bought bought the property. It wasn't how many mountain lions have you seen?
Speaker 3: Does it matter?
Speaker 5: Oh? It matters, of course it matters.
Speaker 1: Well, if you've seen a mountain lion, it was in a mountain lion episode that you'd seen a mountain lion.
Speaker 8: Could It's kind of died out a little bit, but there used to be a lot of animosity coming from a whole land Bridge over there about not being interview that everybody had been interviewed except for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's because I'm not a subject matter expert on anything.
Speaker 3: Just a dude.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how I got this job.
Speaker 1: It's just a dude. You were cheap, Yeah, yeah, yeah, call anything stand out to you in the episode.
Speaker 6: You know, one of the things that has lived in my brain pretty rent free has been Scott Brown's story about being at Walmart sewing that license. Like I think about that regularly, like like I'll see something on my trail him and I'm like, man, I think that might be Man, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're like, I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 3: I just wondered.
Speaker 5: And I listened to it again on the way up here, and I was thinking when I was thinking, well, maybe Scott don't know what amount.
Speaker 3: Maybe those other guys did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were casting casting.
Speaker 3: Well, I was just saying there was five witnesses.
Speaker 1: Again. Man, when I heard so, I hadn't listened to this episode in a long time, And when I heard Scott's story, it almost made my blood boil just a little bit to think about. I mean, if I had been in that little covey of guys back there, you know Scott, I mean, Scott kind of fed the monster a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, he's also working, he's in a business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his job. His job isn't to debate because people, oh my gosh, you you will offend somebody if you correct them when it comes to something they think they've seen. But I think I would have just been like, Oh, that's not a mountain lion, that's a bobcat. We all know it. See all later, Scott.
Speaker 7: If you knew.
Speaker 3: Scotty my audible book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check out the Long Owners and Britos already.
Speaker 7: If you knew Scott Brown, I mean this guy, he's a real deal. Outdoorsman deluxe. His dad outdoorsman deluxe. And I think Andy's dad was. I mean, he goes back, way back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 7: Hey, he's a he's a killing dude. He knows the outdoors. I trust him anywhere. He knows what a mountain lion looks like. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah for sure, maybe just by photo, but he you know, he's a he's a he's a real deal.
Speaker 1: So this episode, though, I remember when we first did it. I told I told you in the in the little preamble that I was commissioned to make three episodes. In the first two the first two that I made, one was with James Lawrence and the other one was about dogs, and then the third one was the mountain Lion episode. And uh, and we ended up but the mountainline episode was the third one. And I remember thinking when we had those three and we had to start that we were it was like a gamble to put that one first because we'd probably never make another one that was anywhere close to that good. Like I thought the Barger's podcast was gonna be like, man, they had one good episode, yeah, I mean for real. And I remember telling my boss at the time, who was Ben O'Brien, and I said, man, I think we got a swing for the fence because we thought about putting it later, like starting a little bit lower. And and to me, the James Lawrence episode ended up being as good as any we've ever done. Like I revamped it. I did those two. We all listened to it. It was like a four out of ten. And then I went back and rebuilt the whole James Lawrence episode and like put in it just and so to me that one was like redeemed. But I remember just thinking.
Speaker 5: Just basing off the critical review of the of the mountain Land.
Speaker 1: One, well, just I just didn't think there was that many and intriguing stories like that that would draw people in. And and I think we've learned that that's wrong. I mean there's you know, I mean just with all the topics, like you think about all the topics we've covered in the last almost three years. I mean, from these historical figures to some of these living guys to I hear a lot of people talk about the tax jurmmy road show and Brent and I drove around remember that, Brent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I still get missed that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was so it's interesting to go back. But I truly get more interaction around that than anything of to this day. People sent I mean for real, I'm not joking. Look at this. I'm pulling up my.
Speaker 5: Telling know about the flood now because here's the ones that I get that have a black panther in them.
Speaker 3: Is like, well you show this to Kalay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Since since this podcast started, somebody sent me a black panther image. I'm serious. We took the time on that. That came, that came just today.
Speaker 5: Well let me tell you we that very photograph right there, Steve and Joannis and I talked about that on a podcast we did in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: That picture, right, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Been around a long time.
Speaker 1: Well and this guy says it's from Georgia, yep. And he his line here would fall into category number one of my automated response sir, you you were looking at an animal that's not from North America. I mean, that's a real black panther, but that is not from North America. A wild North American sins you. Well, uh wait a minute, did I just totally interrupt you while you were going to talk about what stood out to you?
Speaker 6: You know, I thought it went a really good direction.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 6: I will say the most surprising thing when listening to it again was I was surprised that you knew a quote from Dumb and Dumber. I was like, Clay's never watched that movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know many pop culture pop culture.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure that we're going to call a movie that's twenty something years old pop culture.
Speaker 1: But that's what all the kids are watching, Misty.
Speaker 6: Well the old kid, yeah, the kids your age.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 8: You actually got the quote a little bit out of context. It was like, well, I'm not sure that Clay has watched Them and Dumber?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Dad?
Speaker 1: Do you what so that that podcast w you is the believer black panther Believer? What what stood out to you when if you heard it again? I mean, like, I don't know, after after three years of being the believer. Yeah, where do you stand? Well, I tell you, I hate to say this.
Speaker 7: I mean, you talked to us some pretty credible people, but they're they're full of hogwash.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's garbage.
Speaker 7: I don't know where these guys went to school, the game, and I love, uh, you know, the guys working there. I mean, they know what they're doing, but they got the black panther all monked up. So I keep the same stance, you know, I know, I don't believe it.
Speaker 1: I know it.
Speaker 7: I mean it's for real, Okay, and Oli, what's the name of her town?
Speaker 3: Bucks?
Speaker 1: Snore down in Bucks? Yeah, I mean you could hear them at night without a doubt. Yeah, and you can tell the difference between the black one and the regular colored ones. Spylar sound y'all remember the early podcast. There's no question so anyway, no why.
Speaker 3: It was very good.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it, probably more this time than first. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I found it shocking that they would get only one verification on one hundred, one hundred and fifty reported. Yeah, sightings, it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Yeah, Well, Josh, what do you think, not necessarily about the podcast, but just about going back and listening to the first episode of Race.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a big fan of erens.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to watch things and listen to things over again because I feel like my attention span is a little weak sometimes, and so going back, I pick up on things that I missed before. I all credit due to Myron Means. Brilliant guy. He's been on here. Fantastic guy. There's got to be more mountain lions out there than we're seeing. I just have I just believe it.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, I've known Brent to lie all the time. So he says he's seen two. I believe he's seen at least at least one.
Speaker 5: Okay, so yeah, I've seen two with witnesses, but times mm hmm. They had four witnesses. The first three other witnesses besides myself.
Speaker 3: The first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were vaccinated.
Speaker 5: The second one. The second one was a coon hunter. The first time was broad daylight with three other guys in the cab of the truck.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. And it was.
Speaker 2: It was where did you see Ashley County?
Speaker 5: Ashley County outside between Hamburg and Fountain Hill.
Speaker 3: That narrows it down.
Speaker 1: Oh bear, you ever seen the mountainin Bears lost his headset, never saw the mountain long.
Speaker 8: I think that that I would believe it if Bear had seen it. Yeah, because I think anyone that's out in the woods as much as Barry is, Bear sees the craziest stuff, like constantly seeing crazy stuff, constantly bringing home videos of like what are you saying, I'm just I'm just I'm just saying. I'm just saying I would only believe it if Bear saw it.
Speaker 1: M hm, you would believe it if Bear saw Oh here we go. What's what's your buttle?
Speaker 3: Bear?
Speaker 1: Well, I was talking with a little my buddies the other day, and you know, like like sometimes whenever I hunt on like a TV trails, you know, if like ATV is coming down and I don't want them to see my spot, Like if I'm like all my way into a spot, I hit the side of the road and hide behind a tree, and they have no clue that there was a dude within ten feet of them. Yeah, And so I feel like I've probably I feel like a lot of people have probably walked right under one. Mm m. I mean we got a believer on our hands. I mean, what about the fact, how do you what about the fact that there's not any here? How would you have me into your argument. There's just we've got plenty of very credible yeah, witness incredible ish incredible credible ish. I mean, yeah, you would think you'd see like a track or something though in a puddle, But man, I find that, uh, this is this, This statistic can be verified and is one hundred percent accurate. Ninety eight percent of American hunting license holders, America's hunters cannot tell the difference between a canine and a feline track.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking the same thing. I don't know if I saw it in the woods, if I would be able to differentiate.
Speaker 1: I've gotten so many pictures of big old track tracks, canine track, you know, somebody else send it to me, be like, is this is this a mountain line? And I mean it's a it's a canine track, and it's uh and it's kind of hard to tell. And I I've actually had to study it quite a bit. The people, the two percent of people that do know I was, y'all just took me at my word, at the solidity and certainty of my statistics. I appreciate that. I just kind of made that up is the is the hunters that are that are pursuing lions, like they can tell. They can tell driving down the road at thirty miles per hour a track in the snow that it's a cat or if it's a bear, if it's a dog.
Speaker 2: You know, is there a distinguishing feature that.
Speaker 1: Well, the the a cat track is much more oval, and you can it's almost like you could place this isn't the best description, but you could like place a stick in between the pad and the toes and it would be like more of a straight line. A canine has four toes that are going to be on this pad and they're gonna be the way there. There's like yeah, there's kind of like too low and then too high and then and then uh. A cat pad has the three lobes on the on the on the pad of the foot. Is that would you say? It's about right brown? And a canine always is going to have claws. A cat cat is never basically ever gonna see a claw mark in the track. And the other thing that I think would surprise most people is that a pretty durn good sized mountain lion track is small. I mean, and I'm not an experienced mountainline hunter, but I have line hunted a couple of times. And that cat hanging on the wall right there was a male weighed one hundred and twelve pounds, was killed in Panhandle of Idaho when it was two degrees killed. A traditional boat shot it out of tree. And when I saw that track in the snow with my friend Leon Brown in Idaho, it was heck, it was pretty small, I thought, And I mean, that's not a big cat. I mean a big one weighs one hundred and forty pounds. I mean that's a monster. So but that that was an adult male cat, younger side of adult. But and I mean that track wasn't as big as a coke can I bet really yeah, I mean so I think a mountain lion track as much smaller than what you would think. Okay, so that's just my that's just my input. I've never seen a mountain lion. I can't wait till the day in Arkansas. In Arkansas, yeah, excuse me, in Arkansas.
Speaker 2: How many cats have you seen with.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I've seen that one. And one time in British Columbia, a cat jumped out in the road while we were driving down the road bear hunting and just loped down the road in front of us for about thirty yards and then Brent, Yeah, exact same scenario as Brent. What are you pointing out, Brent?
Speaker 3: The squirrel and waiting on the bob kit.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think I've only seen those are the only two I can remember. Yeah, and that's a lot of beating around out west too.
Speaker 3: So one was an idahole, one was in one was British.
Speaker 1: Columbia, and the one's Idaho. That's right, yep, yep. I've now seen some wolves up close. I just back from Alaska. Uh, there's gonna be some more on this coming out. We filmed. We filmed our Alaskan trip, and so there's sometime in the next year on the media or YouTube channel, there's gonna be uh us trapping wolves in Alaska.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: It was an incredible trip. I hadn't told that about it. It was that part of Alaska was in southeast Alaska. It was the most spectacular natural beauty of any place I've ever been. We were on the ocean, so we were at sea level, down low, but they're big snowcapped mountains. Basically in every direction, but there was a lot of glacier activity where we were at I was reading today about about the idea of wilderness, and there's a term that's called sublime, which has been watered down by modern culture to kind of take away its meaning. But the word the old nature writers, the original nature writers that kind of forged and articulated the ideas around American wilderness, used the word sublime to describe interactions with raw pieces of nature, and sublime it almost has the feeling of like a supernatural experiment, experience like an I can think like euphoric, euphoric, like a like an. The way they described it was like an overlap of the natural and spiritual world coming together. When Josh, when I was in Alaska there we went to a glacier that met the ocean, which is pretty cool. Some glaciers, don't. This glacier. I mean, you could rowed a boat right up to it, and we did. When I saw it, we were I believe we're two miles away. We kind of came around this bend and we had been seeing like when you get like four miles from this glacier, you're just out in the ocean and you start seeing chunks of ice. You know, if you didn't know any better, you'd just be like, what is that. You drive over there and there'd be a chunk of ice about as big as an ice chest floating, just clear chunk of ice.
Speaker 5: You'd be like, Wow, that's wild.
Speaker 1: You go another quarter mile and there's a chunk of ice as big as a big as a black bear floating. Oh wow, look at that. You go another three hundred yards around the bend and there's the ice chest as big as ice, piece of ice as big as a volkswagon floating. You go around the corner again and there's two hundred blocks of ice that are big chunks like a drafte Yeah. Yeah, And then and then you know, basically there's like chunks of this glacier falling into the ocean then melting as they move out. The closer you get to the glacier, the bigger the icebergs get. When you got two miles away, you could see this glacier. It glowed blue, and dad, I have never had an experience like this before. It was not concocted. I wasn't expecting it, but I like the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I saw that glacier, And I mean, for real, this is not a figure of speech, like you know people say my mouth dropped open. Yeah, like I kind of came to awareness after a few minutes of looking at this glacier from two miles away, and my mouth was open. I was just like holy, and it was a sublime experience. And as soon as you round the corner and you can see the glacier, the air temperature dropped, you know, probably seven or eight degrees started getting cold. And then you come up on a glacier that's like as big as your house. And we floated around it, and the deep the ice that was the densest was was blue. It glowed blue like a like a stained glass window. And when we when we got up to it, I mean, it's hard to describe it. Almost it felt to me like a portal to another realm, because you it just world.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was just like and and when we got when we got within sight of it, I asked David Bennett's who was the guy I was trapping with, This incredible guy sty king God service, he I asked him. I said, well, we see this thing, calve, you know, that's what they call when chunks of ice fall off of the glacier into the ocean. And he was like, oh yeah. I mean I didn't know if it was something that happened like once every two weeks or if it happened like all the time. And we're withinside the glacier, I say, well it cave and he goes, oh yeah. I turn around and we're now over a mile away from it, and I hear what sounds like thunder. I mean I actually looked up because it was puzzling to me the sound I heard. I thought it was thunder. And all of a sudden, I see, like in slow motion, this huge chunk of ice fall off, and it just looks like slow motion and it was a chunk of ice about as big as my house.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I saw it hit the water and just now, that wasn't the thunder. The thunder was it cracking off the noise it made when it cracked and fell, and then it hit the water and you see the ocean just explode. And then like three minutes later, the boat goes, you know, like the wave comes out, and I was like, holy cow, we are gonna see this same calve and on the way to it, I saw three huge chunks of ice fall off, and so I thought, man, we're just gonna get like right up on this glacier and just watch a show. And we got there, and by the time you get up to it, there's so much ice. You're just breaking ice. Basically, you're like parting. It's like a slushie, you know, on the top of the ground, with big chunks of ice, small chunks, chunks as big as your house chunk is. And we stayed in front of that glacier for probably forty minutes, just kind of floating around within like two three hundred yards of it, like as close as you wanted to get, and I never saw another big piece fall off.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just like totally erratic.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 5: That blue was the most is the bluest thing I've ever seen. Mister sent me the picture. It was absolutely incredible. Yeah, did you and I forgot to ask you, did y'all get into that ice and melt it and drink it?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, we talked about it. Dave Bennett's told me that there was a time period maybe in the eighties when they were selling glacier ice. Yeah, to rich folks. To putting their because it it didn't melt as quick because it was denser, and those icebergs had rocks in the ice. It'd be like clear ice, like as big as your house. You could you couldn't see all the way through it, just because it was like, yeah, well there was the like glacier move, it would be like rocks inside the ice.
Speaker 5: I just wonder what it tasted like.
Speaker 1: I did suck on one piece. Did it taste like water, tastes like regular water, like regular water.
Speaker 2: Did it taste like an extinct disease or distinct part?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well you gonna say, Missy nothing.
Speaker 2: Did you hear about that? It just reminded me of that chunk of that glacier that broke off in Greenland?
Speaker 3: Do you hear about that.
Speaker 2: There's a chunk of a glacier that broke off of a fjord in Greenland that is fifty miles long and twelve miles wide. It's adrift. Now they say that it melting will literally cause the ocean level to rose just from that one glaciers.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's incredible. The glaciers are the glaciers are melting, I asked David that's a that's an interesting statement. And if you say that and want to sound intelligent, you have to put a little context around it. The glaciers have been melting for ten thousand years. I mean, that's the way, you know, so the glat You can't just say the glaciers are melting and it be like some statement of alarm, like the glaciers have been melting for ten thousand years. That is fact. What they're you know, what they're saying is that the glaciers are melting faster than we've ever seen them in recorded history, you know, which I don't know if that's true or not. I assume it is. David Bennett's told me that he has seen that glacier retreat about half a mile in his lifetime.
Speaker 2: Wow, it feels like a lot.
Speaker 1: It fells out, it does. But when you consider that, like twenty miles away where he lived, well wherever, however many miles away he lives, there was a time when there was like a mile and a half of ice pack over the place he lives that was connected to this glacier. Do you see what I'm saying. I mean, it's like a trem like an unfathomable amount of ice has melted in the last ten thousand years. But yeah, I agree. So it's just interesting. A lot of people have asked me, were they melting. I was like, yeah, so, I with Mona's even took part in it. By I did take a chunk of ice at a different glacier bent we saw too, had a little chunk of ice put in my mouth. What kind of load were you in? Well, we stayed on a forty two foot fishing boat called the Sandpiper, which was his crabbing boat. David is a commercial crabber and has been has been involved in commercial they call it commercial fishing, but commercial crabbing since he was twelve years old. We stayed on that boat. The inside that boat, there's a it's kind of like a camper. It would be almost identical to a camper. There's a kitchen, there's a bathroom, there's a kitchen table, there's bunk beds. But we had a skiff, which was a heavy duty aluminum boat made of quarter inch aluminum with a two hundred inch two hundred inch two hundred two hundred horse motor on the back of it that we used to scoot around so we we Our base camp was the Sandpiper. We stayed on there. It was incredible, six days on the ocean up there. It really was incredible. It truly was.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I knew David from Bear Hunting magazine. Yeah, David is a longtime bear hunting magazine outfitter and he sells spring bear hunts and some of that real good hunting up there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, solid guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a great guy.
Speaker 3: So how many wolves did you get?
Speaker 1: We tried four wolves. It was it was very very unique.
Speaker 8: If you look at Clay's Instagram, he's holding one of them up and he says, this is a ninety pound wolf.
Speaker 2: And it looks enormous.
Speaker 8: It looks enormous. It looks like it's I mean, like if that wolf is ninety pounds, he's about ninety five.
Speaker 1: Photographs are always acceptive because scale means everything will spring. This back to the Mountain lions. Like if you have a tan cat, a tan house cat, Nana's tan cat house cat, like five feet from your trail camera, he's gonna look big. I got post to Nana's cat, I got feet away.
Speaker 3: I got the cure for all of that.
Speaker 5: We talked about that Stephen and Joannis and Spencer and everybody on the podcast. We talked about this the other day after it was over with. I had this idea. It's like you get in an argument with somebody and you're leaving and drive it down the road, and like, got I should have told him this.
Speaker 3: This would have really got its goat. But I saw a thing.
Speaker 5: I was watching something on National's Geographic and there was a guy in in this shark tank, in his shark cage, and they're trying to figure out how big these sharks are swimming out in front of him, because there's nothing nothing there to judge, you know, the shark against So he had a laser made underwater and it shoots out a beam of light or you know, two dots that are one foot apart or a meter I think is what they used. But a meter apart.
Speaker 1: I don't even know how far that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we fought a water keeping doing that.
Speaker 5: So anyway, you get you get he shining out there and taking photographs of these sharks with that those two points on there. Then they could take the photograph and say, okay, that shark is however many long? He's fifteen feet long. So game camera. We need those two little lights on there. Okay, it shoots a beam out at a predetermin and distance apart, and if that regardless of where that animally is.
Speaker 3: When it hits him, you'll be able to measure that.
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that if the lasers were exactly aligned, the distance wouldn't like get wider, get.
Speaker 2: Narrow, or with perfectly parallel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'd have to be perfectly parallel. That's what it was, and that's what the stress is. That's a good idea, bro. That's going to be on I'm glad he brought that up. That's going to be on the our new trail came.
Speaker 3: The Bear Grease trail camera in first light spect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I was just saying, the scale means a lot with those wolves. I agreed with you. And that's the reason I put that they weighed ninety pounds because somebody would be like, somebody would have thought that's one hundred and pounds. That's one hundred and thirty pounds wolf. If you'd have seen them in person, you would have been like, yeah, that's probably about a ninety pound wolf. But when you're holding it up, I can assure you I would not have hold it up. That wolf is like closer to the camera than you, and they just look bigger than they were.
Speaker 2: I wish you would have held it more like like a baby.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, no, it was interesting putting the wolf up.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It did not escape me that a wolf is a controversial animal to kill, like, not at all.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 1: Inside the film that we make when we actually show people how we were trapping these wolves, we're gonna we're gonna handle it really with a lot of humility and uh, really tell the story. But man, here's the deal. People that live in wolf country that care anything about wildlife, vast majority of them are like all four. They don't necessarily hate wolves. They're all four managing wolves. People that have little functional connection to wolves, like me, love the idea of wolves. Are typically want to want to ceremonialize them, you know, want to and want to protected. Man, the people that love wildlife usually usually want them managed, and I think they should be managed just like any other game animals. I want wolves on the landscape in Alaska, and of all people, David Bennett says too. David David Wolf traps in the areas that he moose and deer hunts, and like he, like I said on my post, it's not I mean, like we know, we didn't try to paint the picture like that we're changing the world by trapping a few wolves. But David says that he can, on a micro scale, positively impact deer and moose numbers in the places he hunts by trapping. Yeah, I mean with coons, and it's And I had somebody on on the gram be like proved me that taking those wolves out is helping deer numbers. And I didn't want to embarrass the guy.
Speaker 3: I'm nice.
Speaker 1: I'm a nice man. I like to show people some dignity, so I didn't even respond.
Speaker 3: Wolves.
Speaker 1: The statistic if you looked it up, it will say that a wolf eats seven pounds of meat per day. Now that granted that's an average that they probably don't eat that every day, but when you average it out, like they're eating a lot of meat, that's a lot of meat. Let's do the mathroll, Let's do the mathrooll quick. How many deer we literally.
Speaker 3: Let's do that.
Speaker 5: Let's do that wolf. What was the estimated age on that wolf?
Speaker 1: It was an adult male so it's like if it was like a dog, I would say it was at least a three or four year old. It may have been an eight year old. Let's just say three So three years, well, we would we would be we would be doing math on the years that he was going to continue to live. Let's say he lived another three years.
Speaker 5: This you're already you're already to my answer, how many is he going to eat next year?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Well, that's what I'm saying. So three years times three sixty five that's one thousand, ninety five days. Let's just say times five pounds of meat per day, that's fifty four hundred pounds of meat.
Speaker 2: Okay, do it for one year, do it for one year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so three sixty five times, and I'm just gonna say five pounds of meat per day times five that's eighteen hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: So that that wolf is going to eat several a big game speak big game animals himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean so like if you take a wolf off the landscape, I mean, I don't see you know a lot of times solutions like that. It's the narrative and the talking points for predator hunters that want or any kind of person that's wanting to justify something they want to do, Like sometimes.
Speaker 2: The Caribou, somebody plays Sarah McLaughlin like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to simp. I don't want to simplify the narrative because it's easy to be like, oh, you know, save deer, kill a wolf, like it's it's really probably not quite that simple, but it is like wolves don't have any other option. They gotta eat meat and and they have the right to and we love wolves on the landscape. But as David says, you just got to manage him. David David, David said, I like corn, but I want to eat it and harvest it too. It was funny when he said it. I thought it would punch a little harder. I started telling it that. I was like, this isn't gonna be that funny, and so I just suit your to that.
Speaker 8: I needed more time to process bambo.
Speaker 1: Now the So, yeah, I wanted to talk just a little bit about Alaska. So people will be able to see that, and uh, that'll be after they buy The Long Hunter's Audio Original.
Speaker 6: Book, So that'll be great January.
Speaker 1: Well, they can order it now, Kolby, and they could you could order it as a Christmas gift and then.
Speaker 3: Do a little I owe you Those are the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little slip of paper that says I've ordered you American meters, American History, Long Hunters seventeen sixty one, seventeen seventy five.
Speaker 2: Works for magazine eight track.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can magazine, Bear Hunting Magazine. Christmas gift. Yeah, get the package, deliver three year subscription and a half. Anybody else have any Just like, uh, what would be a really just a significant analysis of the replay of this beargerase classic.
Speaker 5: Doctor Black, doctor back. Didn't believe me and he's still wrong.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 8: Next, I think you should have played back to back with this replay when James, Lawrence and Gerald just kind of spontaneously started talking about and they were, yeah, we were at bear Camp and then y'all did that podcast and they just I mean, they had clearly not heard the podcast and they just started talking.
Speaker 1: About I think James and Gerald listen to any podcasts feeling.
Speaker 8: Well anyway, it was pretty awesome because like they just walked right into the story telling these stories about I mean, and they had tales and the colors and I mean and they and it was really funny. And you're just sitting there having to be quiet, and I thought that was and you, like Scott Brown, I wish you would have played.
Speaker 1: That's right, that was good. I forgot about that comments. Just give him your headset.
Speaker 6: I want to hear my uh my mom swears up and down she saw a black panther in New Boston by the prison, really and then uh She's always talked about it, and then it came up again after this podcast, and I just couldn't break her heart.
Speaker 1: You just let it go.
Speaker 3: I just let it go.
Speaker 1: What what is it? Let it go. The other day with a guy that I was talking to and he wasn't informed of the podcast, he hadn't listened anything, and he said, Clay, I want to show you this picture. Look at this, and he thought it was a black panther. I mean, and he's like straight up, and I just I didn't have time. I didn't have time. I was just like, I'll be darn, you think that's a black panther.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just kind of I just didn't have time, you know what I mean. It was like listen, here, come here. He was an older, older gentleman to be like, have a seat. I got someone I want to talk to you about, and they're not real Tell your mom as far.
Speaker 6: As as far as the Beargers Hall of Fame, as far as episodes, I think that's the first one.
Speaker 1: Really you're saying you liked it the best.
Speaker 6: I just think that all the ripples that worked its way, it was really like identifying like the trajectory of it.
Speaker 1: There was some things I would have done different in the sequence of storytelling. That's what I heard. When I heard it. I was delightfully. I'm really nervous about going back and listening to old stuff, even like from three weeks ago for real, because I hear stuff and I wish I did it different. The podcast is good. I should have told Scott's stuff way up closer to the front. And now I don't have as long of interview like I talked to Myron for like thirty minutes, kind of like NonStop, almost like we pretty much don't do that anymore.
Speaker 6: I feel like you don't talk as much, like inside of the interviews, you give the soundbites to the people.
Speaker 3: I quit more.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know you're right.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I try to I ask people a question but then I trim out my question, and it's all about an efficient listen. Yeah, because I mean I think you cover two hours worth of content and one hour's worth of media when you listen to a good Bear Grease and it's and that's one way I've made it more efficient.
Speaker 6: Is that all context with the Yeah, so a good point.
Speaker 1: Good point, Josh.
Speaker 2: The older I get, the more I believe what I think I believe, so I'm all for confirmation bias. Yeah, I'm confirmation bias.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to believe what I want to be.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: So my dad I grew up with the dad who believed in black panthers. You grew up with the d that didn't. Well, I'll be honest. I think before the first time I actually listened to the podcast, I thought that, like, you could see a black panther. Oh you did. Yeah. I think it's because I spent too much time around too much time around the believer.
Speaker 6: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Well, any other comment's misty, Gary, just I enjoyed it more the second time. I think there's a lot of mountain lions around, we just don't see them. But it was I was surprised when he said they're not as secrety as we h.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a very good point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I couldn't believe that because I hunted a remote area for a long time and I used to envision mountain lions up in trees. I don't know if i'd read a book or what, but I thought, you know, back.
Speaker 1: As far back as I am, I.
Speaker 7: Could be lunch for one of these guys. You know, you know, I thought about it so much. It's almost like I saw a mountain lion, but I didn't, you know. I mean, it's like I was aware that there were mountain lions in that area, or at least I thought, yeah, yeah, I thought they were anyway.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I just I agree with Josh. I'm just thinking about what he said. I don't feel like I have a strong enough opinion about mountain lion specifically, but yeah, I'm for confirmation bias.
Speaker 1: Life with confirmation bias is just a little more fun than reality.
Speaker 8: Well, I think I think that, No, that's not what I'm saying. I just think that some of what it's kind of taken any what. But Bear John said too. You know there's times where he's if you were to say, was bear in the woods by you or you know, was he hiding in the woods. No, bear was talking about like there are people that have walked right by on them.
Speaker 1: He's right there.
Speaker 8: And if you ask those people, they would say absolutely not, and they would be wrong.
Speaker 1: They would be wrong to the point.
Speaker 8: And I'm just saying, thinking, if you could say it more efficiently than me, I'm gonna I can a little bit.
Speaker 3: But no, that's that's it.
Speaker 5: And I'm not saying I've never said there's a breeding population of mountain lions in Arkansas. I happen to be at a place, two different places as a crow flies eighty miles apart, where I saw with my own eyeballs two mountain lions.
Speaker 3: Neither one were black. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 8: But eventually there will be a breeding population, I mean, even just with h And you've got to be open to that. All these skeptics have to be open to I mean, someone is gonna say one day I saw this, and you're gonna have to believe them.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be true.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And if you can be just as blind by your skepticism as you can by your.
Speaker 1: Belief, Boom, there it is. That was good. You can be just as blind by your skepticism as those who are blinded by their own confirmation bias living outside of reality. Yeah, no, I'm all for it, man. I want I want there to be a breeding population of mountain lions in Arkansas, and I think there will be as long as deer populations remain stable. I mean, I think you know there was you talked to so many guys that were like man, when I was a kid, there were no deer here. There were no turkeys here. In today there's a ton of deer, a ton of turkeys. There were no elk. Now there's elk. I mean in our lifetime there could be. There could be mountain lions all over the east. Well, thank you guys so much. Merry Christmas. I wish you could have some of these cookies that Juju bought at Sam's Good that you put on a plate.
Speaker 2: And put them on a plate and covered in the place.
Speaker 1: That was the first That was the first thing she told us. It was like too much information, Juju. You know, I don't care.
Speaker 3: God bless well.
Speaker 1: All right, have a merry Christmas, everybody.
Speaker 3: M