Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that. It's time for the Break on.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, April ninth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, episode number five. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're life and that's of UBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by LGLG is the world's number one O led TV brand for eleven years in counting cyd at, LG dot com, Fort slash O, led Evo. And speaking of LG, we got some surprises that are be coming up here in the next few weeks.
Speaker 5: Maybe uh it's one of LB not being able to get my chair up there.
Speaker 2: We go, all right, sorry, go ahead, Well LG does not make the chair.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying we've gotta have some surprises for our listeners, so you've got to stay tuned for that.
Speaker 2: LG is is they're thinking about stepping up in a big way.
Speaker 6: We're gonna have some trait it out.
Speaker 2: I will not tell you because it isn't finalized. We're working on some stuff.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna say on here there, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can always use on one, O, five, do three the thing right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I said, don't be giving fake promises on here. Okay.
Speaker 2: When do I get fake promises, I will.
Speaker 6: We'll see ask again next week. Don't worry, guys. I will keep on top of this. I will keep him to what he just said, stay.
Speaker 4: On top of it, all right. Appreciate you guys joining us today. We got a few things we're going to talk about. We're going to continue our series on positions today. We're going to talk about the wide receiver position. If we have time, we'll get into the tight end position as well. Before we do that, though, I did want to catch up on a trade that was made after our show last week. Cowboys get a quarterback in Joe Milton. They gave up a compensatory one of their compensatory fifth round picks, the one under and seventy first pick overall. They received back a seventh round pick, two hundred and seventeenth overall. And obviously got Joe Milton added to their roster. Let's start, Brian, give me a give me a scatter report. If you were just looking at this guy and giving a scattering report, what would you say are his greatest strengths greatest weaknesses.
Speaker 7: This guy's got an incredibly strong arm. And in this draft Nick Harrison and I will tell you about the when Jalen Milroe and the guy like that that has mobility, maybe not the mobility of Milroe, but when you start to talk about the arm talent, the arm strength, there has always been some kind of some questions, you know, where does he throw the ball too hard? Does he have touch? Because he able to do all those things. You know, you watch him on tape. You watch him the last game that he you know, he got to play against the Buffalo Bills where he was he was brought into the game. He played exceptionally well. The pocket, mobility, the awareness. You watch him some in the preseason, and you know, you see these things. Joe Milton is a very very talented player. When I look at you know, my board. If you're talking about fifth round guys, you know, I don't know. I mean, that's that's the thing I look at, I go, I don't know if Riley Leonard can play. I don't know this, you know. I mean there's things that you can you can kind of take from, you know, watching the college tape and then watching also what Joe Milton and watching what they gave up. Here's my hope if you're a Dallas Cowboys fan, that Ken Dorsey at one time who's on staff now, you know, worked with Josh Allen who had some issues strong arm, maybe some maybe some accurate issues, accuracy issues. That's my hope right there for if you're a Cowboy fan, is that in fact that Ken Dorsey can come in. This guy, he's I think the mechanics need to be kind of worked with a little bit. He really strides into his throats and I think that's why he has the the arm talent that he does the ball sometimes behind guys a little bit needs to put it out in front. But but Ken Dorsey did did wonderful things the first couple of years, uh, you know, with Josh Allen, and hopefully that he could potentially do the same thing with Joe Milton. And I think that if they if they can kind of correct some of those things, the mechanical things with this throwing motion that I think you might hit on a guy here for a very minimal pick.
Speaker 4: When you look at at what he is and the fact that he hasn't played a lot of football in the NFL. Do you think right now, based on where he is, that he's the guy that Cowboys are bringing in for developmental purposes or do you think he's actually the guy that's going to be lined up to jump in if Dak should be out for any amount of time next season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it could be a little bit of both, right.
Speaker 3: I think On one hand, the Cowboys and Brian Schottenheimer, they did say throughout the offseason that they want to get younger behind Dak Prescott. They want to have a young developmental guy. That was kind of the idea in bringing in Trey Lance didn't quite pan out. He's now with the Chargers, signed last week, but you know they're looking onto their next guy and trying to find another developmental guy that they could potentially usher in if and when Dak eventually does call it quits. And so you know you have a guy in Joe Milton that is still a project in a lot of different ways. Yes, you see that game that he had against Buffalo in the season finale last year, and he looked great. He flashed, he showed a arm strength, he showed a lucidness from the pocket. That's one of my most favorite traits of Joe Milton, his ability to escape pressure and throw on the run. But he was playing against Bill's backups. You probably saw Kyrie Elam on the field. I mean there was some other sorry, there was some other Bills players on the field that hadn't been getting much playing time throughout the season. So you know, you take that for what it is, but you also factor in, Hey, he's gonna have a full preseason, he's gonna have a full training camp of work. I just I worry in one instance, if say this team is ten and three, Dak goes down and they need Joe Milton to finish the season. I don't know if that's something that would make you feel warm and fuzzy. Now, granted, you wouldn't feel warm and fuzzy if it was Cooper Rush, but I think you would still feel better if it was a guy like Cooper Rush. But I understand the thought process behind getting a young quarterback in the building because let's say that happens in twenty twenty six, then Joe Milton might be in a better spot at that point than Cooper Rush maybe ever would have been. So I understand the thought process behind the Cowboys. You know, signing Joe Milton. You don't plan, you don't hope for a Dak Prescott injury, but you have to plan for it. In the same instance, I think there's a little bit of hope that they at least get one full year of Dak before they will need Joe Milton's spot start a game or two throughout a regular season.
Speaker 6: Well, you still have Will Greer on the team. I mean, I know not many people get excited about that, but I was pretty excited on that last game he had here in that preseason game when Dak was the one coach in him. So I think there's some more stuff that he can show the Cowboys. But at the same time, with a guy like Milton, he even though he likes the experience, what you've seen from him, especially in that game, it gives you some hope. It gives you like something that you can work with and develop. I think it's a good I thought it was a good trade for the Cowboys, and I think he can bring a lot of stuff new here, but also his his personality. When you look at a guy like him and you see him talk, he has just this freshness to him. He's ready to come in here and work and just has a different aura that you know, you're you want to now. I'm excited to see him and what he can bring. And he says all the right the right things, so we'll see what he does.
Speaker 7: To quote a guy a longtime NFL coach Tom Moore, when asked about what do they do if Peyton Manning goes down, they say, we don't work on F You know, that's Tom Moore's quote. I would like to use the word that Tom Moore us, but I can't do it on But Tom Moore said, we don't work on FT and so I understand where Nick's coming from, though I'm just having some fun with him right now. But yeah, your hope is that that Joe Milton can come in and and work. And I totally understand Nick's concerned if the guy's you know, if you're ten and three, you know, can Joe Milton find a way to win you a couple of games? If not then you know what, then they'll have to rethink the quarterbacks said situation going forward in the future.
Speaker 3: And I'm glad you mentioned Will Greer and bar I think there's going to be four quarterbacks that camp. I think you'll see an undrafted quarterback too. I think they want to increase the competition at that position behind Dak Prescott as much as possible. And you're right, Joe Milton is not the assumed backup. You know, he's going to have to earn that role. He's going to have to beat out Will Greer. I think he will, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an undrafted guy that gets thrown in the mix.
Speaker 4: Too well playing against the Bill's backups and what he did there. If he does at this preseason, and my guess is he's probably going to be the guy that they tab as the backup, but it will be it will remain to be seen whether if Dak goes down, he's capable of being able to handle that, because that is a big responsibility when you're talking about starting quarterback in the NFL during the regular season.
Speaker 2: So we'll see how that all plays out.
Speaker 4: One other thing that just popped up about Dak talking about the quarterback position. I saw a video that Jacob Ferguson put up and he said, I think he said it tongue in cheek, Dak is down fifty pounds. I don't think that.
Speaker 2: There's no way because I think he's twenty.
Speaker 4: A's where he's listed on the on the two thirty eight, maybe something like that. Something in the two twenties, I would guess.
Speaker 2: I would guess twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but if he's down fifty pounds, that would be really really small. He's not that, But the fact is he is looking a little lighter. My question for you guys, and I think this is one of the things I'm trying to figure out how.
Speaker 6: I think good or right?
Speaker 2: Is it good?
Speaker 4: A fact? Because when you start thinking about it, it's like, if you're lighter, are you more mobile?
Speaker 2: Are you that's flexible? If you're heavier, can you absorb more hits? Which one's better?
Speaker 7: Dak was always a guy that I believed in when he first started that he had the body armor to take the wear and tear, and we always One of my lines about him was when Dak is bloodied and muddy, that's when he's playing at his absolute best. We're getting to a point now where Dak doesn't need to be bloodied and muddied anymore. But the questions are about his mobility. And these were questions that were even brought up when Mike McCarthy, you know, was still the head coach and he and Jerry Jones and the conversations that they had along the way. You know, are we dealing with a quarterback that has lost some of his mobility because of some of the horrific injuries that he's had, you know, to his lower body. And with that being said, the best way to be more mobile and I even you know, and Nick and I maybe will disagree on this on when we talk about the draft is Shador Sanders. If you watch Shador Sanders at Jackson State, he looks like a lighter player, Yes, Jackson State competing against Wax schools, but still the mobility you could see him moving around better him Now, you know, in the Big twelve, he looks like a bigger body guy and there's going to be a point in time where he's probably going to someone's going to tell him, hey, you slim the scene down. Your mobility will approve I think Dak's doing the same things. He realizes that he doesn't have the flexibility and the mobility that he once had. How do you try and combat that? Weight loss seems to be the best way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also weight loss can be a little deceiving at times too. Is does he look slimmer, Absolutely, yeah, but he also a little bit stockier, so that that weight could have just been reapplied with muscles. There's a whole science behind it. But I more so saw about ten pounds off of Dak. And if that's the case, he's listed at two thirty eight, so you know, if he's down ten pounds, he's around two twenty five. That's pretty average for NFL quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: Also, when you make that much money and when you work around here working for them and for an NFL team, you have to trust that they know what they're doing. I mean, all the people that he has around him in coaching and directing him and training him the right way. Again, he's recovering from that injury, so that has been a process as well. He hasn't initially remembering be able to work out the way that he used to as he was recovering from that. So I think we'll see, and I just I trust the process. I don't know how mobile he will be when once the season gets here. I mean, if last season was any indicative of how that could be in the future. I don't have many hopes in that regards when he comes to his mobility and ability to run anymore. But hopefully whatever weight he has is for the best.
Speaker 3: On the DAK Mobility conversation, his most mobile season, quote unquote was twenty eighteen by far. It was pre injuries. It was pre leg injury. He was the third year in the league, so he's feeling comfortable whenever he had that post leg injury. And still in the Kellimore offense, they dialed it back big time, and I think there was still a level to Dax game that he felt like he could tap into from that mobility standpoint. So when Mike McCarthy took over the offense, they kind of blended ideas. It's like, hey, let me take this to myself at times, and you know, they pushed the limit.
Speaker 5: They pushed the limit.
Speaker 3: They maybe saw where that limit was with Atlanta, and now it's like trying to figure out the body, Okay, what can the body withstand within this same exact offensive philosophy, because I expect the mobility to still carry over into twenty twenty five, which is a little bit more caution, how does that look that looks and maybe reforming the body in certain instances. And you know, he was on pace to have his second highest rushing total of his career last season before the injury, so you know there's certainly an intention behind getting him more mobile.
Speaker 5: We like him when he's more mobile from an.
Speaker 3: Evaluation standpoint, when he's moving outside the pocket, I feel like it, and working off script, especially with the CD Lamb, it makes this offense much more dangerous. So I think you can still expect that in twenty twenty five. I think there's gonna be a lot of intention putting into the offense about what that looks like.
Speaker 4: I even wonder to some degree with the new offensive coordinator. I look at what the kinds of things they did in Arizona. I wonder if they want Dak to be a little more involved in the running game for some called runs, and maybe this is a part of that. I'm not quite sure, but I do believe Dak is at his best when he's moving around a little more than we've seen him do over the last couple years. All Right, we're gonna take our first break. When we come back, we'll talk about the wide receiver position. We'll dive into some conversations there. I want to find out about some of those guys that are not Cede Lamb and where they are in their development and what the Cowboys should be expecting from them in this upcoming twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 8: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savanna. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable.
Speaker 9: Secure five G requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you footy dials.
Speaker 10: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 10: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboy VIP.
Speaker 11: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 5: Dallas.
Speaker 11: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out.
Speaker 2: Of your car.
Speaker 11: You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 12: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey Store at the Starn Frisco or online at Lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Chair.
Speaker 2: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store? Letter Rip Troy?
Speaker 13: All right, folk, let's get started with the Yeddy, French Press and Joke col This Day's Hot for hours and French Press thirty four. As for U six four with the cruise yetty French Press. What mix waterproof bags? Bags of waterproofs and where's w waterproof? Devil's waterprove bag bags for as most of the water sho you get a waterprove Yetti bag. Don't smell something cooking pot new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback commerce pop pine and ptatoes. Next over with three sizes of the yetty cast iron.
Speaker 2: Skillets, gear gifts and product experts.
Speaker 4: Visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 6: LG old Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See you for yourself at LG dot com. Slash old Evil Welcome Back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of the break life in that WBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com. Let's talk wide Receiver. I want to start with Jalen Tolbert. After watching him for the first few years of his career, give me an assessment of where you think he is from a standpoint of how he's developed from year to year and where he is right now in that development process.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last offseason we talked about a lot how Jalen Tolbert was Dak's guy during the off season, right and we had talked about that the year prior with Ceedee Lamb, you know, being the guy that you know Dak took to the Dak yard they had many throwing sessions throughout the off season. This that and the third well, if you remember Ceedee Lamb was holding out. Yes he was still working with Dak, but it wasn't as frequent as it was the previous offseason, and so Jalen Tolbert took advantage of those opportunities and he was there to you know, fill in. Brandon Cooks was there as a strong mentor for him, and he took that into year three and had a good year. I mean forty nine receptions, six and ten yards, seven touchdowns. I think if you told any of us at the start of the season, hey, this is what Jayalen Tolbert is going to produced.
Speaker 5: You'd be happy with that.
Speaker 3: The question is, how is this his ceiling or does he have a little bit more to push through for this is the last year of his rookie contract, so in my opinion, he would either need a repeat performance of twenty twenty four or probably a little bit more to ensure that he has a shot at being a wide receiver three down the line. But I think there are things to like. He improved his route tree, he showed that he can do multiple things. Last season, he improved in the contested catch department last season, which they tested him on multiple times, especially with Cooper Rush, which I found interesting. They put trust in his hands, and I think about the Pittsburgh Steelers game, right, I put a lot of trust in his hands on that fourth down to be able to win the game for him, and certainly he was able to do so. He played in all seventeen games. He hasn't had injury issues in his last two years. He's a reliable guy. But you wonder how close is he to his ceiling. I don't think I have the answer to that. I think that's gonna have to be something that Jalen Toldward answers in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Nick's got him right. The thing about it that I was just hoping for more consistency. I'd see the Pittsburgh game and you saw the ability to make some big plays. It just feels like with this player that you see one really outstanding game and then you wait for him for two three other games to kind of do things. And you know, consistency sounds like it just a cop out word. In this case, it probably is, and I feel terrible about it, but it really is true. With this player. I mean, you do you see flashes of absolute brilliance as a player, and then that just tends to kind of fade away, and you know, you don't, you know, get it back for maybe a couple of weeks. Like I said, So, you know, if if you could find a way to make that work, then I think that it will all be very very happy. But you know, we I think the bar for me was set very high. I mean, he was a really good player coming out of South Alabama. I don't think I've seen the same player at times. I have, but I just haven't seen that consistency. And I hate to not have a better word for you or a better description, but that's really where I look at the player I look at. Someone says, tell me about Joanato, I say, just a lack of consistency. That's I think the biggest problem with him right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at this point in his career, you would be expecting a little more. And I hate to keep repeating the word, but I agree with you guys on the word consistency. Year one, you could cut him some slack on how he reacted to that, and he came back year two, got better in the when you compare to his first year coming here to Dallas. But his game just exactly what Brian said. You said, you see those plays that you know he can do it, he's got it, but then it disappears and then you don't see it again. So you just get a very small flash of excitement. But then again, with the way that the play calling was happening last year, I think there's some sense there that I had that with Mike McCarthy and what he was doing with the offense, I don't think it necessarily benefited his game in a way that he could find better success there. But at the same time, when he did get those chances, I don't think he was able to fully capitalize on them.
Speaker 4: When you look at at Jalen Tolbert, obviously this year he was the guy that was kind of the guy right behind Ceedee Lamb that because because Cooks was out for a significant amount of time. When you look at someone like Jonathan Mingo and the Cowboys trading for him, or do you think he fits What are the things you saw from him this last year that make you say maybe he has a shot at being in the mix this year, or I just don't see it. What are the things you're seeing right now from Jonathan Mingo?
Speaker 3: Kind of felt like a red shirt year for him. And the staff will tell you the same thing. I mean, you ask Jerry Jones, Steven Jones, Brian Schottenheimer about Jonathan Mingo this offseason, it's always like, yeah, we got him in late, We're gonna give him full off season and see what he can provide this year.
Speaker 5: We're excited about it.
Speaker 3: And so it's like, yeah, disregard everything that happened, even though he played half a season, and you know they'll they'll try to find a role for him moving forward. I mean, he played in eight games, he only had five receptions for forty six yards, and he's still searching for his first NFL touchdown. I mean, regardless, he has not been the second round pick that Carolina selected a couple.
Speaker 5: Of years ago.
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 3: I Mingo is a guy that you don't plan to step into a feature role. But if he does, great, But if he doesn't, you still go get a receiver early in this draft to accompany that, because you're you're not betting on that. He hasn't been the guy that he was at Ole Miss. As far as like the big play machine, you know, having those big yards per reception, having the contested catch situations. He just hasn't been putting those positions. You know, maybe that's what Dallas would like to seek from him. This preseason and preseason will be huge for him. But I think this is more so like, hey, we got this year. If it doesn't work out, oh well, if it does, then you know, will look great. But I'm not banking, honestly on Jonathan Mingo being a future role in this offense.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think what's gonna happen is we're gonna get into these pre draft meetings, you know, the media availability for pre draft, and Nick is going to ask a really good question about the wide receivers, and the first person they're going to talk about is Mingo. That's going too. You know, there there's a there is a there's a group in that room that really do believe in him. They had him as a high second round grade on their board. They you know, if you watch him play, there's been some problems of getting him the football. You know, that's that's been a big, big issue, and there's been times where you know, he has not had the opportunities and when he's had the opportunities, he just the quarterbacks just have not done a very good job of getting him the ball. But they're going to tell you that, hey, we love his size, we love his athletic ability, We thought himenough of him as a college player to make a trade for him. We feel like this will be a good year for him. They're going to sell him, you know, and we're we're going to stand there and we're all going to nod our head and say okay, And you know, it'll be another one of those things like Tolbert and some of the others that they've said before. You know, this doesn't keep me from drafting somebody in this draft at twelve. They could play wider because that person, whoever they pick, will immediately go to the head of the class. And we can all talk about the Jonathan Mingoes, and we could talk about the Tollbird and Adams and Florinay and all those guys. They know they need to go get a legitimate guy, and that's why I think they're in the situation they are with Mingo. They'll tell us about him, but it's one of those things that they know they have to get better.
Speaker 5: If the season started today.
Speaker 3: With the receiving core that they have, I'd be putting Mingo at wide receiver five. I'd be putting him behind Tolbert Turpin and Jalen Brooks. As far as what I would expect from production out of him.
Speaker 6: Dang well, I see it differently. I'm actually very intrigued to see Mingo a lot more of him because I thought that on the little amount of opportunities he got last year, they weren't getting him the ball. One thing that excited me during that time of the season was when you watch his game, he will be where he needs to be. He would find a way get open and get there, but then they couldn't throw him the ball ride or there were a couple of instances that it was on him to be fair. But at the same time, I thought that if you get him a better quarterback with more accuracy happening there in, a better play caller and all of that into the mix, I think he can be a lot better and be actually productive a lot more than wide receiver number five. I think he could be thrown in there, not to be the mega superstar or anything, but to be someone that you can rely on throughout the game.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think it actually became a bit of a joke. I know, me and Amber and Nick sit by each other during Nikki, and it became a bit of a joke at one point where we were saying, like, are they ever going to throw him a ball he actually has a chance of catching because there were so many times he was open, ball went behind him, ball was over his head.
Speaker 2: It was just it was.
Speaker 7: Happening free happening at Carolina too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it happened so frequently, And that was also part of the part of the I guess is like, can this guy in the NFL, can he get a quarterback that actually will throw him the ball because there were opportunities when he was open and he just wasn't getting a fair chance to make a play on the ball. And I think I agree with that from you, Amber, I don't know that I think he's he's ready to assume. Nor should the Cowboys go into this year expecting him to be their number two receiver or number three receiver. I think they should see what he can do in training camp. But my expectation is that given an opportunity with a more accurate quarterback, I think he can be better than what he's been to this point in his career.
Speaker 2: I'm interested to see if that can help.
Speaker 4: And I will say this too, I like what he does from a blocking standpoint. If you're going to be a team that's gonna run the ball as much as they say they're going to run the ball, you're gonna need that on the perimeter. I think he'll be a valueblastt from that standpoint.
Speaker 7: We could put Zach Martin's number on him and he could.
Speaker 2: Get a little tackle.
Speaker 4: There you go, there you go, hey real quick though, And this is this is more on the on the draft side. There are two names at receiver that that I keep hearing as first round possible guys that the Cowboys could take. Tech McMillan and Matthew Golden. You guys have a preference between those two or if you have another receiver outside of Travis Hunter, obviously that's a first round type guy that you think the Cowboys should really be looking at if they're on the board at that first pick at number twelve.
Speaker 3: My preference is Tech McMillan. He's the only true receiver that I have with the first round grade. I see this guy as a Michael Thomas type of weapon here at the NFL level, elite possession skills, long, big frame. I do wonder how he would stack up in the twenty three guys, just because the twenty three receiver class was so loaded, But I still think he would end up being a top fifteen pick in that class, and I think he lands in the same range this time around. He was a guy that was the number one volleyball player in the country coming out of high school because of his vertical ability at Yan him being Hawaii, and he definitely has the volleyball in his blood. But I covered him at Anaheim Servid High School when he was when he was coming to high school. Yeah, this is the perfect class. The next year of even more perfect. I'm just lucky, and to be honest, but he has had the same quarterback since early high school, which I think is fascinating. I think that might be one period of you know, transition that he'll have here at the NFL level. But everything I know about this kid is that he's intentional. He's at the facility, first one in, last one out. He's one of the guys you want to have in a locker room and you pair that with his skill. I think he has shown that he has long speed based on what he did at his own individual pro day. He had a couple of games this year where he was able to get vertical and beat some faster corners over the top and create some explosion plays.
Speaker 5: I'm a tech McMillan guy.
Speaker 3: He makes fifty to fifty balls eighty twenty, he does, and he hasn't made. The Cowboys have not had a true possession receiver like this since Des Bryant, and I think this would be a perfect pick at twelve.
Speaker 6: If he's got Chris Beam with the b roll.
Speaker 7: No, he's got them all for sure, you know, since he focused. I do love McMillan. I agree with that. I'll tell you about Golden then Golden was to transfer from Houston. This guy is explosive, He's dynamic, can play all the receiver positions. He does a really nice job separating through coverage with his ability to accelerate out of his breaks. He does a fine job of selling routes. There's some questions about him as a route runner. You could see the fear of God in cornerbacks when they play this guy, especially off and he's closing cushion and then he sells that route. He can go up the field, he can come back for the ball, he can drive the defenders off. He's played outside, he plays you see right here, he's played in the slot. It's you know, he's It's just allowed him to become a small, skilled receiver. He could shift gears quickly in space. He can click off really nice gains. You watch him in the playoff games down the stretch, and he was a big factor in why Texas was able to advance as far as they did. You know, quinn Ewers is a guy that sometimes can get you the ball and sometimes he can't get you the ball. But this guy was would do a great job of going up and getting it. You talk about McMillan is one of the best receivers in the country on those Knick's right, eighty twenty is exactly right because he's gonna go get it. But this guy is right up there with with Millan McMillan when it comes to going up and getting the football at its highest point.
Speaker 5: Fourth and thirteen, baby, yep, fourth and thirteen, go back to.
Speaker 7: This guy's a big time player. You know, the Texas people will tell you and Derek will tell you too that everybody was talking about Bond, Bond, Bond, but then you watch the tape and you're like, well, who's this number two?
Speaker 4: And early in the season, Bond was the guy. As the season war on, right, Golden became the man.
Speaker 7: Golden became much more of a a more of a guy for them. But yeah, he will go up. He tracks the ball. Well, you know, he is a he's a big time player. And you know, if you follow the list of thirty visit stuff. So I know, we don't really get into that much, you know, on this show, but you know they're bringing in all these guys, these wide receivers, so they're clearly hunting the guy.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gona take our final break. When we come back, we'll dive a little bit into the tight end position. Let's talk about Jake Ferguson and kind of what we think of where he is in his development. I know we've had a little bit of conversation on that, but I want to talk about specific is he in danger at this point of maybe not being the starting guy?
Speaker 2: Has Schoonmaker developed? Does he continue to develop?
Speaker 4: I think those are all conversations worth having We'll have when we come back at Stallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 14: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 14: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 5: No one comes close.
Speaker 14: Lgo led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 1: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicle, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Aggon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even tastier. It's a Pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 2: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash aericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Air Responses digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the elish language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored forquality assurance, message, data, raise and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew AT and T five G Fast, reliable.
Speaker 9: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. SEEATD dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 6: Back to the Break, AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: We're in the final segment of the Break live from the SWBC Mortgage studios.
Speaker 2: At the Star.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the tight end position. I know we had the conversation. I think it was last week or week before. I think it was a question that you posed Danber of what we thought of Jake Ferguson and whether we thought he had a down year. I think everybody across the table pretty much agreed that they didn't think he had his best year. That being concerned, how concerned are you with the overall help of the tight end position at this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an interesting position group because I think you could look at it on one hand and say, hey, it doesn't need addressing. You have Jake Ferguson, He's going to be fully healthy going into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: He has depth. You finally have blockers in that room too. It could work out.
Speaker 3: Then, on the other hand, you could see how there's a potential for that room to get really thin, really quick by just one guy getting injured during the season. So I don't know, this is not a position I would foresee, you know, spending a draft pick on maybe late in the draft. I could see it late Day three, like, hey, you have one of these six seventh round compensatory picks, but Jake Ferguson is still your tight end one. I don't think he's done anything to relinquish that role, but you do you would like to see him either return to his twenty twenty three production or uptick that into twenty twenty five, and a fully healthy dok Prescott will help. But you know, when you take into context Jake Ferguson, you have to take into context the Week one injury he suffered the knees brain against Cleveland kept him out a couple of weeks, and then the concussion that he suffered in the middle of the season that was tough on him. So he just battled various things throughout the year, and you know, as more tight ends got involved in the in the offense, and you know what was Schoonmaker's role. One week's Schoonmaker's not playing any snaps. The next week he's starting and looks good, and so he's out of the doghouse. I think just consistency for Luke Schoonmaker will be big too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it really for Ferguson, here's the word consistency again. But you look at what happening against me. He comes back in week three against the Ravens, and you know, he put up big numbers, six catches for ninety five yards. A couple of weeks later they're playing Pittsburgh, he has six catches for seventy yards. And then from that point on it really really was a struggle. Yes, the targets were not as much as we've seen in the past. You know, for him, he went from a guy that was kind of a double digit target guy. Guy maybe got seven eight targets, and then it became more like three and two and four. You know, it was just not as many and and uh, you know, the level of play just kind of just kind of faded off. And then while he was out, you know, Luke Schoonmaker was able. That I think was the positive thing that Luke Schoonmaker did show, like that he was able to handle the role when when given that opportunity, Is Luke Schoonmaker going to replace Jake Ferguson. I think that's probably not the case right now, but you know, yeah, they they they need to figure out what happened to Jake Ferguson, and like, let's say the stuff the time that he missed, you know, was was key. He was banged up, but they need to get his targets back up because the player that the player that we saw against the Ravens, even though that was you know, a game that was very close at the end, you know, you know, it could have you know, I could say the Cowboys could have found a way there. But he had a really good game against a very very good defense, and I think that's the kind of player Pittsburgh the same way, good defense, and he had a very good game, so very very capable that they need to kind of unlock why we didn't see more of those.
Speaker 6: I think Jake will have a better season than what it was last year. I mean, you talk about him and you mentioned that video. You see him working out and then he's recovering and all of that. So I expect him to be in full health once the season starts and him to be able to contribute a lot more and get back to that football shape that he was the year prior, where you saw a guy that was super utilized on the offense. And it was odd to me that last year, Mike McCarthy, he wasn't really getting much help from the tight ends, like really utilizing that to their advantage. In years that you see in like Dak Prescott when he was in there, he always finds some comfort in tight ends. I don't know, I do expect him to be better. And also with Luke, what is this year three that he's going into third season? I thought he improved last year from what he was his rookie season, and I know he dealt with some injuries that the first year, So I think that he's continuously what's the word. Yeah, I guess I was looking for a more fancier, like a fancier word. But he's consistently getting better, which you love to see. But now he needs to take a bigger step and make that jump. But I think he can still contribute. I agree with Nick and like, you need somebody else to come in here, because if you say Jake is out for the season or whatever reason, then you start, hey, you start really getting worried there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you hope you get a full season of John Stevens and I coming off of back to back ACLS, you can really only expect so much. And he's been a camp he roll these last two years and that's but that's basically been it.
Speaker 5: But you hope you can see him on the field a little bit.
Speaker 3: What can he bring from a receiving standpoint, because you have your two blocking tight ends and Luke Schoonmaker and Brevin span Ford. You know what can John Stevens bring you in the receiving department? You'd hope you have that at least to fall back on if there was a Jake Ferguson injury.
Speaker 4: What what is it that Schoonmaker needs to do or could do that would elevate him beyond where he is right now.
Speaker 2: I know last year run after catch that were good, but at that catch.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the guy if you if you look at his numbers, he's generally a two for two, four for four, six for six. He's six for six for fifty six yards. You know, the thing that makes Jake Ferguson so inviting is a run after catch like is he's bouncing off guys, jumping over guys, spinning off guys.
Speaker 2: Really is taken by the down by the first guy there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I'm saying with Luke schoon Maker. You do get receptions, you do you know the hands, you know, early in his career he there's probably some pro albums there. There was a couple of seam passes that went off his hands, and Dak is one of the better seam throwers.
Speaker 5: In the league.
Speaker 7: But I think that Luke Schoonmaker has shown that he's capable now of catching the football. But the thing that's different between him and Jake Ferguson is run after catch, So when you get the opportunity if you get six targets to make six catches have more than fifty six yards, you know. I think that's the biggest difference. That's the thing he can improve on. Can he can he improve on his quickness, his agility and his ability to break tackles.
Speaker 4: This team's going to be a good heavy run team, as we suspect they will be. How capable is this tight end group of providing what they need as blockers? We've talked a lot about what they can do as pass catchers, but as blockers, are they capable of being what this team will need?
Speaker 5: I think they're capable.
Speaker 3: And this is probably where the Mike McCarthy influence kind of still has residual effect, just because he was very emphatic on having these tight ends on the field all the time and especially in run blocking situations. They have the reps to be a young room. They do have the reps in the run blocking category. Jake Ferguson has gotten better as a run blocker and he's three seasons. Luke Schoonmaker brought in to do that and he's done well with that. There's at times he's been you know, off his assignment, but you look at the back half of twenty twenty four and what he was able to do in that department was great. Brevin span Ford, he earned a roster spot because of that. They even throw a hunterd lip in situations where he can be a tight end run blocker in some areas too. I don't I don't have concerns about this this room right now as far as being able to run block, whereas a year ago I would have said, yeah, I'm a little I'm a little worried about it. And that's a credit to Lunda Wells, and that's a credit to Mike McCarthy at the end of the day too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I totally agree with it because if you're looking for that run blocking tight end, and I guarantee you Nick's looked at a thousand players, so he's probably got a run blocking tight end in his arsenal there.
Speaker 5: But enough for you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the majority of these guys, like you say, there's another Ferguson in this draft at Oregon. I mean they've got Arroyo from Miami, They've got guys Fanning Helm from Texas. You know, these are guys that are more conducive to catching the ball than they are blocking. So you know, the development of a blocking group is going to have to come. I think within this, within these.
Speaker 6: Walls, and I think it will. I mean, I thought I the whole blocking I did think it improved since the year prior. And when you look at you mentioned Lunda, who was it? I mentioned Lunda? You mentioned Lunda Nick and he's what the only guy that remained here from the prior regime other than Scottenheimer getting promoted to head coach. So that tells you something. I thought that a lot of these younger guys, even though it's not at the level where we all really feel super confident, it's still you saw a lot of improvement. And we got to keep in mind these guys are still really young, like they're still in their first second heading into their third year in the NFL. This this is the year where they need to all take that for the next step. But again, I'm putting youth into account. I'm putting into Okay, last year, I did see some development. I didn't see regression from anybody other than Jake Ferguson due to injury, and we talked about that already, So I think that this year this group should look a lot better.
Speaker 7: Scheme will help. If they're going to pin and pull and stuff and angle block and things like that, and they don't have to fight guys one on one, they'll be better at run blocking as a group.
Speaker 3: I got one for you, Jackson Hawes out of Georgia Tech. Now's there's your run block.
Speaker 7: I knew, I knew you had a guy.
Speaker 2: What round?
Speaker 3: I think you get up seventh, potentially undrafted, but I think he's the best run blocking guy in the draft as far as tight ends go.
Speaker 16: And if you gets HWS literally all he does h A W E S yes, yeah six. I will say this based on what we've seen two thousand dollars for him, I would expect that this tight end group is probably one of the groups the Cowboys least worried about.
Speaker 4: When you just talk about personnel and bodies that they have. I think they feel pretty good. They should feel pretty good about the tight end position.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 2: All in all, all right, appreciate you guys.
Speaker 7: Jones.
Speaker 4: We're back next Wednesday. We're heading it into the draft. We got two weeks before.
Speaker 13: UH.
Speaker 4: The draft will begin on Thursday night. UH so next week we'll do a little bit of time. We'll spend a little time talking about draft and here, well you guys ready for that and until the end for Harris and brought us Ambergracia, Derek Eiglton. This has been the Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.