Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, we begin with an important development in the Middle East this morning. Iran says it has reached an agreement with Oman on a proposed shipping route through the Strait of Horror Moves. Both countries have been in talks on this for several days, though an Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman has not mentioned any role for the US in the discussions. We get the latest from Bloomberg Middle East correspondent to Birabu Omar in Dubai.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of details to be armned out here about just how exactly ships that are outbound and inbound would make their way through the Strait of Removes. We'll await more details once that draft is publicized. But what we know from the Iranian side, and you mentioned the spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry.
Speaker 5: Smid Bahai, that said.
Speaker 4: That negotiations are forward moving and the deal would be struck if certain third parties not obstruct the process. Obviously they're referring to the United States, perhaps Israel as well.
Speaker 5: Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Sabirobo Omar reports this latest announcement follows months of deadlock between the US and Iran and how to end their war. President Trump has claimed breakthroughs repeatedly before, but a lasting agreement has remained elusive.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Nathan, President Trump is denying that the US is running low on munitions. That's after The Washington Post reported he clashed with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth at Camp David last week about shortages of long range guided missiles and air defense interceptors. In a truth social post, the President said the US has massive amounts of munitions and the quote leakers of these trees in his statements are being hunted down the Karin.
Speaker 3: President Trump's also speaking out after progressive Democrat Abdul l Sayed's victory in the Michigan Senate primary.
Speaker 5: Abdullah say lovely, gentlemen. It's a man of hate. And now he's going around saying, no, I love everybody.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 5: He does love everybody. Put him in office.
Speaker 6: You're gonna find out what he loved.
Speaker 3: The President called Abdullahsaiat a communist who hates Jews and Israel at an event in Las Vegas, aim at touting his economic agenda.
Speaker 5: Elsayad responded on CNN, look at.
Speaker 7: The background, it says no tax on tips. The man can't stay on focus. That's like the one thing that he did to offer any economic relief, but instead of that, he's more focused on me.
Speaker 3: Abdulah Saiad says he is a capitalist who condemns anti Semitism, though he has accused Israel of genocide and it's Warren Gaza. Elsaiad defeated Establishment back to Congressman Haley Stevens in the primary and will now face Republican Mike Rodgers in a high profile general election race that could determine control of the Senate.
Speaker 5: Well Nathan.
Speaker 2: President Trump has reportedly spoken repeatedly with Kevin Worsh since he became chairman of the Federal Reserve. The Wall Street Journal reports the President has sought Worsh's council on a range of matters, including how the war in Iran and the rapid rise of artificial intelligence are affecting the economy. The paper says it isn't clear if Trump and Worsh have discussed monetary policy over their communications, sparks concerns about the independence of the FED.
Speaker 3: Well Karen, FED Governor Lisa Cook says she's ready to raise interest rates if inflation doesn't slow.
Speaker 5: She spoke at an event in Alaska.
Speaker 8: If I do not see signs of continued disinflation soon, I am.
Speaker 5: Prepared to act.
Speaker 8: With five years of above target inflation, the risk grows that higher inflation may become entrenched and priced and wage setting behavior, leading to persistence that would be much harder for us to attack. The longer inflation is above target, the more likely this scenario becomes.
Speaker 3: And FED Governor Lisa Cook went on to say her priority remains getting inflation back to the Fed's two percent target. She says she is firmly committed to restoring price stability.
Speaker 2: Well Nathany now turn it to the markets. Global stocks are retreating from record highs on weakness in chip stocks. Memory maker sand Disk down more than nine percent in early trading, while rival Western Digital is lower by almost fifteen percent. After book companies reported earnings.
Speaker 3: In Asia care in a second flash crash in sk Heinez shares has raised fresh questions about South Korea's new alternative stock exchange. The chip maker briefly fell thirty percent in pre market trading on next trade before ending the fifty minute session down about two percent. Sk Heinex then dropped another six and a half percent in regular trading on South Korea's mainstock exchange as the company tracked a broader chip sell off Nathan.
Speaker 2: Today could be another critical day for SpaceX. We get details with Bloomberg's Charlie Billett.
Speaker 9: Just over one hundred billion dollars worth of SpaceX shares become available for trading. Insiders, should they choose, can start unloading shares when a lock up agreement ends. Stephen Wesley is a former board member at Tesla. He's now the co founder of the Wesley Group.
Speaker 10: This is a bit of a different IPO where shareholders can sell twenty percent of their holdings within ninety days, and so one of the questions out here is going to be how many people are going to hit the access early.
Speaker 9: The traditional one hundred and eighty day lock up for other shares ends December eighth. Elon Musk's shares remain locked until June of next year.
Speaker 5: In New York.
Speaker 9: Charlie Pellock Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Charlie.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg News has learned hackers have launched a major cyber campaign against some of Wall Street's biggest money managers. Sources say the attacks featured voice fishing in an effort to trick employees into revealing sensitive information or grant access to internal systems. Hamma Palmer is one of the Bloomberg reporters who broke this story.
Speaker 12: We're seeing some of the world's biggest hedge funds attacked in this attempt to end We're talking Citadel, Millennium, Point seventy two, two Sigma, and you know these firms collectively manage hundreds of billions of dollars. We do know that Point seventy two sent a letter to investors telling them that initial indicators aware that there were no client information stolen, and then to Sigma also said in a statement that they have no indication of any impact to its systems.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Sema Parmer says Wall Street's financial regulator Finra has in touch with member firms following the attempted breaches.
Speaker 2: NIG and open AI is asking a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by Apple accusing the artificial intelligence company of stealing trade secrets that chat GPT makers as the iPhone maker's allegations are meritless. The filing came a day after Apple asked the judge to order open Ai to stop using what it calls stolen trade secrets and to force the company to return any confidential information.
Speaker 5: To Apple and Karin.
Speaker 3: Amazon founder Jeff Bezos unloaded almost three hundred and fifty million dollars in company stock as it hit a record on Monday. The transaction was disclosed after yesterday's market close. It represents only a fraction of the up to fifteen million shares worth more than four billion dollars that Bezos said he'd proposed to sell in a separate filing release two days earlier. Bezos's wealth has climbed almost thirty nine billion dollars this year to two hundred and ninety two billion. That's according to the Bloomberg Billionaire's Index, and Amazon recently became the fifth firm to surpass three trillion dollars in market value.
Speaker 2: And we do have a program note here, Nathan Bloomberg Radio is introducing a new feature exclusively for Bloomberg dot Com subscribers and terminal clients.
Speaker 5: You can help.
Speaker 2: Shape our conversations by submitting questions for our analysts and experts to answer live on air. Subscribers can go to Bloomberg dot com slash Ask Radio to send in questions, and you may just hear the mast on the air. That's Bloomberg dot Com slash Ask Radio. Time now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. And for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, Good morning, Good morning Karen.
Speaker 11: Several New York City families are homeless this morning after a big explosion and fire at an apartment building in the Bronx. One person was found dead and at least fifteen people were heard after Wednesday's fire reached five alarms in the Bronx Norwood section. The FDN Y says six firefighters were among the injured. Several residents had to be rescued. Fire Chief johns Posito says the cause of the blast is under investigation.
Speaker 13: As the commissioners said, there was some sort of explosion. It blew out window frames, It blew some of them across the street, and when our members got up to the second floor, some of the apartment doors had been blown off. The hinges as well.
Speaker 11: Fire chief John Sposito says that allowed the fire to spread down the hallways and into stairwells. In battle, Republican Congressman Max Miller doubles down, saying he will not get out of his re election race. Miller continues to deny domestic abuse allegations brought against him by his ex wife, the daughter of a fellow Ohio lawmaker, Senator Bernie Marino. The House Ethics Committee announced they have opened an investigation in the Miller Former House Ethics Committee Chairman Charlie Dent says he expects Miller is facing pressure from major party leaders like Speaker Mike Johnson behind closed doors.
Speaker 14: I suspect, behind the scenes and behind closed doors, I would expect that the Speaker would likely be putting pressure on Congress and Miller rese's not only to get out of the race, but to resign.
Speaker 11: Former Congressman Dent spoke to ABC. Speaker Johnson publicly said earlier to let the investigation into Miller run its course. A Senate committee is set to vote today on whether to hold doctor Anthony Fauci in the contempt of Congress for refusing to answer questions at a hearing Fauci invoked his Fifth Amendment right against self incrimination more than one hundred times. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now Michael Barr and this is Bloomberg Heron.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael all the time. Now for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for that we bring in John stash Hour.
Speaker 6: Thanks hearing the Red Sox on June twenty fourth at a record of thirty two and forty six. Since then they are thirty and seven. They shut out the White Sox for nothing at Fenway's Sunny Gray, improving to fourteen to two on the season. At Wrigley, the Cubs top the Dodgers seven to six, la sixth loss in a row. He Crow Armstrong howert twice in the win, Showy O Tommy Homer twice in the loss. The Washington Commanders have signed veteran free agent wide receiver Stefan Diges.
Speaker 5: That's a Bloomberg Sports update. Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More from Bloomberg Day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg business Appum. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 5: Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: The wait continues into this morning for a deal between Iran and Olman that could partially reopen the Strait of Horror Moves. That's after the Islamic Republic set an agreement on propost shipping lanes was in its final stages. Joining us this morning is Mark Champion, who covers the Middle East for Bloomberg Opinion. Mark, it's great to speak with you again this morning. Of course, we know that Iran and Oman have been discussing this for several weeks. If a deal is announced, what would it entail.
Speaker 15: Good morning, Good morning, So to the best of our knowledge, in other words, this mainly comes from the Iranians. But to the best of our knowledge, it will identify a temporary channel for a period perhaps forty days, in which shipping traffic will be able to go back and forth through Homers and you know, sort of more or less opening up the straight and there'll be an agreement in principle on the collection of fees and on control where the Iranians would control traffic going into the strait close to their shores. The omanis on the other side would control traffic going out. That seems to be the kind of framework for the for the a deal from the reporting or the sort of news comments and leaks that there have been on the Iranian side. The American officials off the record have been saying that, you know, that's not accurate.
Speaker 5: There won't be any fees.
Speaker 15: We'll see, but the Americans seem to be at one removed from these.
Speaker 3: Talks now to that point, I mean, President Trump has said that Iran wants to talk, is begging to talk, in his words, and Iran has been denying that where is the US and all this and if it's being left out of the talks, where does that leave things when it comes to the broader issues that the US says it wants to get resolved in this war, but particularly the nuclear program.
Speaker 15: Right absolutely, so, you know, the Iranians have also said, look, if we get to this deal with Oman, that doesn't mean that the strait opens. Whether it opens and we have free flowing traffic, that will depend on the US and changes in its behavior. You know, it's not really clear exactly what they mean by that, but you know, almost certainly it's about you know, the unblocking of Iranian ports. So the Iranians, you know, quite clearly don't want to open up the straight and if it means that they still can't benefit from that fully. So you know, the Americans will have to decide, you know, whether they are willing to accept this, which will be somewhat humiliating.
Speaker 5: It will not be a victory.
Speaker 15: It will be, you know, something that Iran has power over that it did not have before the war. And it does not include any of the issues that the US went and Israel went to war to resolve. Those will all have to come later. But it does seem that Donald Trump is very keen to get the straits open. He's got midterm elections coming up. He does want, you know, some kind of stability in the ore markets, and so you know, he's created a space for these talks to happen. Whether he can swallow the outcome, that's a different matter.
Speaker 3: Just thirty seconds left here, Mark, But the President is denying this report in the Washington Post that he confronted Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth about being misled about US munition stockpiles.
Speaker 5: Where does munitions play into all this?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, again, to the best of our knowledge, it does look as though in the course of this war, since February, American stocks of critical weapons, both Patriot anti ballistic missile defense interceptors and then the offense long range precision strike offense offensive weapons.
Speaker 5: These are kind of land based.
Speaker 15: They're called attack ems or sea launched tomahawks, and they're very, very much reduced at this point.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, or manywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleventh three in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app Now with Apple CarPlay and Android Atto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg and News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now and your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long.
Speaker 5: I'm Karen Moscow and I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Da Bray