Speaker 1: Hello everyone, Welcome back to the Hammer Territory podcast. This is episode four to eight and it is Brad Rowland and I'm showing I Thursday evening, late into the night after a rain delay. We'll be good, friend, Scott Coleman, Scott, the Brave's never losing anymore, how are you?
Speaker 2: Hello, Brad? There's the kiss of death, So the next loss, everybody can tweet at bt Roland and say thanks a lot, you big jerk. You just curse the Braves. But in all seriousness, eight wins in a row for the Braves. They are now the second fastest team in the Majors to reach seventy wins this year, trailing only the Brewers. The Braves have actually surpassed the Dodgers in the National League standings, which is really impressive. Second sweep in a row for the Braves. They had a perfect seven and no homestand and I mean, man, they just buried the Marlins and the Nationals this week. Both teams are kind of hanging around in the wild card picture, and I mean both teams are basically dead now. So credit to the Braves taking advantage against two divisional foes and really just keep on rolling. And hopefully they can keep this all the way going through the second half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously the way you want to be playing, and it became it helps. Look, we last time you and I talked, we talked a lot about the trended line and what didn't happen and that stuff. I know, I know, I met what I said, I know you what you said, and it still is out there. But it really helps to win a bunch of games both before and after it to you know, maybe cause some interesting conversations to happen, but also just winning games is what we wanted the whole time, Like it's what you want.
Speaker 2: So well, look that we will not talk anymore about the deadline. We did a show I thought Steven and Sean had some really good insights as well on the previous show on the feet if folks missed it, But you know, our frustrations with the deadline are about October. I am highly confident based on one hundred and twenty some odd games of sample, this is a very good regular season team. They're eight and a half nine games up in the division. This is a really well the team built really well for one hundred and sixty two. Our concerns are in October, and we will cross that bridge whenever we get there in October. Hopefully we look back on it and laugh and go, yeah, they were just fine. They won the World Series, and we can look back and say, Wow, what a funny episode that ended up being. But until October we will reserve judgment on whether or not the deadline was a good decision from Alex and Thopoulos.
Speaker 1: That's right, hey, just keep winning every night and everyone will be in a good mood every time we do a podcast from now until the end of time. All right, Scott, play discuss about tonight's game and some news everything else in between. But first, what's mix it up? Engineered by our friends at Fasten All Before we get to the game tonight, you have a note here but actually, you know, we haven't thought about this that much, Like there's really a race now that we might actually follow over the next six seven weeks between the Braves, Dodgers and Brewers for like avoiding the wild card. Like that's not a huge like revelation, but this way Street put the Braves right back in the mix. At one point they were like four and a half games back of the Brewers and Dodgers. And now it's like, hey, they're right there, So I don't know how much you care about that right now in August sixth, But that is one sidebar of this, especially because the American League is brutal. So like the best three teams right now in the major leagues are all in the National League. Just an odd and now I guess more fun circumstances with the Braves because every game matter is just that much more. If it means that you don't have to play that first series, it'd be nice to have that.
Speaker 2: It really would. And it's funny when I find myself scoreboard watching most nights, I check the Phillies because the Phillies are really the last threat standing to the Braves in the division. But I'm also checking the Brewers and the Dodgers scores just about every night, and the way it shakes out just as a quick refresher, because it's been a couple of years since the Braves were in this position. The top two seeds in the National League, the top two division winners get that first round. By the third division winner has to play a best of three, and depending on how the nationally shakes out, that best of three could be against the Phillies and they're very good top of the rotation. It could be against the Diamondbacks, who I think the Braves have done a pretty good job with again over the years, but the Diamondbacks are pesky, They've got some talent. It could be against the San Diego Padres, who nearly gave all of us a heart attack a couple of weeks ago at Truest Park. And thankfully it would be a home series. The Braves would not have to travel out to San Diego if they had to play in that first round game, and we know how bad Petco Park has been, but it is absolutely going to be a thing. And not only do you want that top two seed because then you don't have to play a best of three where anything can happen, but if you can get the one seed, you're basically guaranteed to not have to play both the Brewers and the Dodgers on your way to the World Series should you get there. That's obviously Kart before the horse long time from now, but it's shaping out where the number one overall seed in the National League is going to have a real advantage to it for multiple reasons.
Speaker 1: For sure, as we're talking right now. Is a two game deficit for the Braves behind the Brews. But that's very manageable over six seven weeks. So keep winning and it will work itself out. I think obviously everybody knows this, but being top two is the biggest thing. Being one seed is even better. Obviously, but avoiding that first round first round series at all would be very nice because I don't want to ever want any part of a best of three. Even if the Brais were playing the worst team in the league, I wouldn't want that. Yeah, it's just anything can go wrong in two days in baseball. You don't want that. So anyway, more of that much later on. As for today and this week's results, the Braves win going away tonight on Thursday, evening eleven to three final. It was kind of a laugher for the last I don't know, four innings or so of this game saw. The Braves have scored more than eight runs since July seventeenth, which is three weeks ago or so. That was the first came after the break. They've been winning a lot since then, but haven't been like scoring necessarily in bunches. A lot of good pitching over the last week that includes most of tonight, but other than the rain delay which did slow us down and slow things down in general on this Thursday evening, the biggest thing is that the Braves scored a bunch of runs and it was basically like across the board, a lot of guys had good nights. Maurico Devon, Matt Olsen, Michael Harris, Ronald You and Junior like just a nice, you know, explosive offensive night for the Hawks, for the Hawks, for the Braves. I'm gonna say, I'm sorry, I'm sleep It's fine approaching midnight for on the East coast, for Brad after that rain delay. Yes, two homers tonight for Akunya. Great to see, including one that's gonna be on Blooper reels for the next five years. Okay, we got we got immediate calls for us to do like ten minutes on this. We're not gonna do that. But we have to talk about the home run because it was you have to number one, you have to watch it. If anybody haven't seen the ronicon Junior home run from tonight, it's a mussy did you have an opinion? Like it was just kind of hilarious. More than anything else. I'm not sure what else to say about it. It was very funny.
Speaker 2: You could see it coming. You saw those two outfielders they clearly weren't you know, they were in a foreign ballpark to them, and they were just slowly kind of converging, and then it was the perfect bounce over the wall. So yeah, that was It was quite the moment for Ronald. I'm glad it bounced over the fence because he hit the ball really well. He deserves some good fortune. And then he also hit another homer in the eighth inning down the right field line, kind of a ball that just kept cutting and hit the top of that solid wall in front of the chop house. So yeah, good for Acunya. He's hit the ball really hard since coming back, has not had crazy results to show for it. But you hit the baseball hard, eventually the results are gonna come. And good signs tonight from Ronald to be sure, Yeah, I don't know about you. I never worried about him. The underlying stuff looks good. Like he looks like himself. He does look like he's heard. There's been times where it's like, is he healthy?
Speaker 1: That's not what I'm thinking right now and if he's if he's healthy, I always feel good about Ronald and perhaps today unlocks a hot streak from him. Matt Olsen is someone we talk about, but also like Medilson, right, it's but again today he homer's again. There's like Ben, I know, Bowman's been leading the charge on this. There's a ward of which he has fifty home runs. I don't think it's likely, but like he's like that's now in like the view that could happen given how good he has been lately. And he's now I mean, I think he's he's been doing for a while now. But even with this recent stretch, he's still number one among all major league first basemen in Fangrafts war Like he has been the birth the best first baseman in all of baseball this season, and he just keeps doing it over and over again. Like born old. Medilson plays every day, by the way, he passed him usual on the on the game on the consecutive games played list the eighth Now like just every day he's every day is there he goes to five for the homer. It's like, hey, Medlelson, cool.
Speaker 2: He's so good. I mean just so good, so consistent, up to a one hundred and forty two WRC plus now on the season, has been one of the ten or so most valuable players in baseball, and Olson's OPS is up to eight ninety nine now. So he's just I mean, he's gonna get MVP votes. He's obviously not gonna win MVP. Shohel Tani Peekraw Armstrong, a couple other guys are having great years, but Matt is absolutely deserving. I think he'll probably finish I don't know, fourth or fifth on the MVP ballance when it's all said and done. Just such a good player and the fact that he is now eighth all time in the consecutive games played list, such an incredible run, so durable. He's going to play his nine hundredth consecutive game over the weekend at Yankee Stadium. Just, I mean, he's the man. Matt Elson five years in has been a grand slam of an addition, and just so happy for Matt. He deserves all the national accolades that he's going to get in the months to come.
Speaker 1: That he absolutely does. And I know I mentioned in the name of Mauritia Debon a moment ago but he started today at second base, which is very notable because Ozzie always has played every game until today, first time he's sat this season. He's not hurt, it's just a day off. In fact, Walt was making fun of it before the game about how he I guess Ozzi had talked himself into playing a few times already this season. We don't know when that happened, but some bride snicker vibes there where guys are just not ticking out a lot of Ever, Walt probably had to just make sit, which he finally did today. That's what you want. But Dubon steps in there and immediately goes for four hits. And Dubond's only been okay for a long No one's saying he's this great bat, but like, it's always ice to have a guy take a day off and have his replacement go four for four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so valuable to have Mauricio Dubon able to do that, Like confidently you can sit Ozzie for a few innings and have Dubond go out there. And you mentioned it. Dubon a little bit of a slump, slow start in the second half, but got on base all five times hit the ball. Well, just really valuable. And you know, we'll see how long the Jim Jarvis train goes. Jarvis has slowed down a little bit. I think the glove continues to be solid, but offensively, he cooled as I think we all expected Jarvis to cool. But the fact that you have Dubon available to play shortstop whenever you need him to is incredibly valuable. On nice he's not playing shortstop, you can basically play him anywhere on the diamond. Who knows if we'll ever get hass On Kim into a game, but you also have Kim available to play up the middle if you need to. Maybe we'll talk about that in a little bit. But yeah, just good for Dubon. Hopefully gets him going such a valuable player to this team, that super utility man, and he certainly picked him up. And hopefully Ozzie able to sit. I mean, he ended up coming in as a pinch hitter, so he didn't really get a full night off, but hopefully just a nice opportunity to get Ozzie off his feet for a little bit and catch a bit of a breather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a pitch hit dh Roll is about as soft as it gets for a day off, but he was able to get in there get will play appearance the last thing on the offensive side. We can talk about these guys all day long and drain ball has been great for example, but Laide Thomas is now on the board as a member of the Braves. When this game was still competitive, he had an RBI double to make it for nothing and that was his first big knock for the Braves. So welcome Blaine Thomas. We all know that's he's in the building. Now there's the platoon is on. There was talk people he was already asked about the fact that he's not going to plubby play very much. I guess right handed pitching. He seemed to be really cool of it. It's probably easier for that to happen when you're going to a winning team from a losing team. I think he's probably willing to buy it on that. But uh hey, he comes in today pinch hitting and has a big double in the role that he's exactly going to be it. He pitched it for you as I guess the lefty that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and with you know a Kunya is back and you get Lane Thomas in the mix, and you get Sean Murphy back, you know, all of a sudden, the Braves have added some right handed thump to their lineup, because we know earlier in the year they were just getting leftied to death. Teams were lining up their lefties starting pitchers to face the Braves. They were bringing in all their lefties out of the bullpen. And at least now with Lane Thomas and even Sean Murphy off the bench, obviously Acunie is going to be in there every night. You've given other teams at least something to think about. And it was good to see Lane. He drilled that pitch off a lefty reliever down the left field line, and he's going to play a real role for this team. And if he can give him something offensively from the right side, it's only going to LinkedIn and just kind of extend out this lineup, which is good. But I think we're hoping it can be great down the stretch for sure.
Speaker 1: I think I said this on the show that is more focused on for our negativity the other day, but I liked Lane Thomas. Lane Thomas is a very helpful baseball player. He is good I think he will help the team quite a bit. Saw that a little bit today, so we just want to shot that out one more time on a more positive episode of the podcast. All right, Scott in a second, we'll talk about the pitching stuff from tonight, including a lengthy bullpen performance given the rain, plus the latest news and more, with first some shot our friends at fasten all fast and All industrial supplies and a bit of solutions. If you want to learn more, visit fastenal dot com.
Speaker 3: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea Geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to c can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: I have a very im portant question for you, Scott. We dismissed maybe I did. I don't know if you did. We dismissed the Martin Perez lynstanity run a couple of times. Is it back? Are we back on Martin Perez insanity run? Is it back? Three innings tonight? Look great again? Only three innings. It wasn't his fault. The rain came. Look, you pitched really well. I'm I'm kind of kidding, but he's been better recently. Love to see it.
Speaker 2: I do wonder if Martin got a nap in this afternoon, just you know, keep the He almost threw the no hitter last week when they woke him up from a nap. Maybe try to get a little nap in. I don't know, but yeah, you know what, Martin was good and the fact that the rain came after three innings on getaway day bullpen had to cover six. You know, it's just all those things like, man, you really don't want to do that, especially heading into Yankee Stadium and obviously that that's a small ballpark where things can go sideways. But nice performance from Martin Perez. He's kind of right of the ship after a pretty rough goal of it, both before and immediately after the injury. But yeah, you know, he's he's given him a chance for the most part when he's gone out there, and you know, we'll see how long he the train keeps going and hopefully it goes all the way to the end of September and gives him something to think about in October. But yeah, nice, nice job tonight, at least before the rain came from Martin.
Speaker 1: Martin Perez as an era of three point one four, I don't know if that's real at all, but it has happened. I'm more of a fifth guy, but hey, era is what actually happened, so there you go. More seriously, the Brace had to cover six innings with a bullpen on this night, which made it much more It made it even more important that the Braves scored a bunch of runs, because like, you're going to Yecky Stadium multiple previo that series at the end of this podcast, but you're going to Eyckkee Stadium this weekend. You didn't want to have a gassed bullpen when you got there. And it was a night game. It was a rain delayed night game. It could have been an afternoon game. I'm not sure why it wasn't an afternoon game on getaway Day, but regardless, being able to go to the non high leverage bullpen arms other than a brief devil Lee appearance was what you wanted to do at the best case scenario. After the way that Prez had to leave the game, it was like, oh, man, if we're gonna have to use everybody, and he didn't, so that was actually very nice.
Speaker 2: A couple of bullpen thoughts. You should probably have everybody available other than Victim Maderos who threw two innings tonight and then Brent Sooner covered two innings tonight, So those two guys are probably gonna be down tomorrow against the Yankees, but I would assume most everybody else will be available. The big takeaway, I would wonder if Danny Young's time with the Big League Braves might be up. They will probably want a fresh bullpen arm for the road trip. I don't really know what the Braves have seen in Danny Young. You know, he was with the team a few years ago. He left, they brought him back. He has been very good this year and they have kept him on the roster. And it if you listen like the beat guys, it's not like his roster spot has really been in jeopardy a whole lot. So I'm guessing if I had to bet a dollar on it, I would imagine Danny Young gets dfaed on Friday for a fresh arm because he Other than Danny Young, everyone was pretty good. But the fact that Danny Young could not cover a six nothing lead against them More Orleans and you had to bring in Dylan Lee to get out of a basis loaded jam. I promise you that was not something the front officeer Walt Weiss wanted to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think people maybe don't follow it too closely, may not realize Dandy Young's thirty two years old, Like this isn't some young guy who has options. He's thirty two years old.
Speaker 2: Guy. There you go, Brad, it's very late.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm just saying that was that was an accidental one. But it's uh, he doesn't. He's not someone you need to worry about cutting dies with that much. I'm not I'm not trying to dispirits the man, but like, if you got to move on, you got to move on. He hasn't shown to be. And and also bringing in Suitor, we talked about on the day on the day of the of the deadline, like that was probably gonna be replaced for Danny Young. We said that literally on the show, like Suitor probably just takes the Danny Young role. And Danny Young kept staying on the roster for the last few days, but that may end after He was not particularly good tonight. He was probably the one, uh shaky part of the pitching staff until we see very very end of the game you mentioned, but Daro's pitched well. Suitor did make his debut, was not particularly good late in the game, but a nice pick off. Though enjoyed that he.
Speaker 2: Brent souter pitches at an incredible pace. I mean that ball is in his glove and he steps on the.
Speaker 1: I mean I loved it. I loved it. As we were trying to we're trying to we're trying to do a podcast here. I was like, all right, Brent Seria is gonna come in. He throws. Everyone knows this now. I think it's washed him. But he throws very softly. But he also throws very very quickly. To your point the extension, he's just a he's a very weird pitcher, and he's He did an interview that people lapped up. It was really entertaining. He's got some local ties. Like I think he's gonna be a fan favorite as long as he's not terrible. So that I hope he's not terrible for multiple reasons. But I think people are gonna like him in the clubhouse too, like I got I got him. Matt Olson have a relationship of some degree. I think Matt played with his brother. Is that what I saw or something like that. I don't know. It's one of those things. There's a brotherly connection. Bread Suoter just be good man. We're fine. But he is a fun He's a fun, crafty kind of throwback in a lot of different ways. He's also old, so that's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was gonna say Brent Suter is the new unk in the clubhouse, and he kind of has like fun uncle vibes. You know, I saw a video I think last year whenever his team clenched, he's, you know, dancing shirtless in the clubhouse very much. Thirty seven year old white guy dance moves. I mean, I look the same at weddings when I go, you know, hit the dance floor. Yeah, I'm sure you do too, Bradley, So yeah, I mean, look, it was not a great performance tonight from Brent Suoter, but it was also the game was well in hand. He works fast, he's a veteran, He's had a long track record to being pretty good from the left side, so hopefully he's able to whenever he comes into a game inevitably that's a little bit closer than this. The performance is a little better. But yeah, if he's your third bullpen lefty, I think you can live with that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would agree, all right. Some news to get to Newsy stuff. There's been a lot to talk about Sean Murphy, who only played once in the last three games coming off the IL. There's been talk about the best way to use him. I am high on Sean Murphy compertic consensus. I haven't been too bothered by it so far, but I do understand that, like, maybe you want to play Sean Murphy more than Dominic Smith in a vacuum. That's kind of the decision you're making day to day, And today it was dom again. Do you have a thought on that? Does it matter to you at all? I think we're gonna see Murphy tomorrow. Almost certainly they're facing Max Freed, so I think it's gonna be Murphy. But like, moving forward, what would you want to do? You do you want Murphy to play more than he has so far?
Speaker 2: Yes, I would like Sean Murphy to play pretty regularly. I don't need him to be out there every single day, but I think because he's missed so much time, I would like Murph to play more times than not, certainly against lefties, And you know, maybe you pick your spots against. If you're facing a really good rity, then maybe you do prefer dom Smith or somebody else to be kind of in that dh roll and then Baldwin catches. The good news is they have multiple ops to kind of fill out the bottom half of the lineup. But I really do hope that Murph gets a longer runway, gets plenty of opportunities to get going, because I do feel like that maybe the very best version of the Braves one is assuming that Sean Murphy is at least hitting a little bit, but two. While Drake Baldwin is totally fine behind the plate defensively, Sean Murphy is elite defensively. He calls such a good game. I thought he did a fantastic job with Bryce Elder and Diddy or Fuentes on Thursday or Wednesday night rather so, Yeah, like, I want to see Murph out there. Hopefully he's able to give this team something down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we agree. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me, because you know, I am probably too partial Sewan Murphy, It's okay. Another deployment question. Hawson Kim hasn't played yet, and I I think our podcast has discussed this multiple times. But once he didn't play again today, I'm like, all right, what is the point of having him on the roster if he's not gonna play? Like Hassan kid doesn't do anything for you as like a specialist, like he used to be an elite defender. But he's not anymore, So like, what is the what is the role he's supposed to play if he's not going to start?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the right. And he didn't even get into an eleven to three game at the end. You know, they didn't even bring him in to play shortstop for two winnings when it was a blowout and get one at bad end. So that's I don't know. We have made the argument that if Kim is not going to play, if they're not going to at least try him at shortstop for a few games. I'm not saying you give him a month and a half, no questions asked, but if you let him go out there for a week and truthfully a week a series against the Marlins was the time to play Kim, I probably don't want the guy going out there in Yankee Stadium this weekend against a good Yankees team. But he's not a great hitter. He's fine for a shortstop at least he used to be a fine hitter. But you know, he's not remarkably fast. He's not a utility guy who can play five positions on the diamond. So what is Hassan Kim's role? I mean, I I don't know. It was shocking they didn't at least playing a little bit tonight. I mean, if it was up to me, I probably would have kept Eli White around because Eli White is at least ninety nine percentile sprint speed and can run into a left handed fastball and hit it over the fence. If you're just gonna have Kim sit there, then then what's the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I it would be one thing if Jim Jarvis had been scalding hot, but it's been the exact opposite. Jim Jarvis has been like very bad for a couple of weeks now, which is fine. Everyone likes him Jarvis, But like at the plate, it's not like he's doing anything. He now he's down down to like a ops in like the mid six hundreds, and all of the good stuff was early. I just looked it up the last fifteen days coordinatibe dot com. His ops is like something like three I just lost it, three eighty two ops. So it's not like you're afraid to take him out of the lineup. And I know Walt said it the day of so it's not like he hit the ball. He said. Jarvis is the short stop I just the combination of like, what are we doing here with Kim and Jarvis in a slump? Is like today would have been such an obvious day to play haws on Kim, and I don't know why they didn't do it, but alas, I mean, maybe maybe there is some I'm not trying to sow discord, but like maybe there's some like front Office versus Walt thing on this, because like if if the for office knew he wasn't gonna ever play, you probably would would just be afaid him, right, Like I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get it, So I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's just odd. We'll find out.
Speaker 2: But and to be clear, we all know how terrible has on Kim was the month.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not arguing that he's been awesome. Yeah, I'm with you. It wasn't like we're not saying he should be given a month, like you already said this, but I a one hundred percent agree with you give him a week, give him a series, like give him something to give him like one more chance. But if you if you keep him on the roster and never give him another chance, that's what doesn't make any sense to anyone. And I'm not. I'm not crying a river for Orion Matteo. That was fine with me. You're right, Eli White at least had a role, I mean, and at least they traded him. They didn't, they didn't just DFA him. But yeah, curious. You can probably find a specialist on the free agent market right now that would be more useful than hasign Kim if he's not gonna start right, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Both Marcelo Zuna and Jegees Solaire just got.
Speaker 1: The jokes have been made, but it's I mean, yeah, I'm kind of surprised Alex has inside one of those guys already. To be honest with you, maybe they're not willing to come for whatever minor league deal has been offered to them. But McCutcheon opted out. He was the other old guy that came through, showed some signs and then opted out because he wanted to hit the market again, which I understand. Steven had an amazing odyssey uh meme usage I'm not sure you saw this or college. David had a great odyssey meme about Ozun and Celaire. The people should check out on Twitter. But yeah, we'll find out if Kim's ever gonna play It's only been five days, I get it, but like at some point you gotta play him. Maybe it'd be a maybe it's maybe it's Yeke Stadium tomorrow. I guess, I guess Max Free. That'd be very funny if that was what I decided to you South like Kim, but maybe it might happen, just.
Speaker 2: Saying it might they want to if. I mean, they haven't really seen any lefties, so maybe they're saving Hasan Kim for Yankee Stadium against Max Fried. Maybe, but uh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean they did say when Jarvis first came up that they wanted to not have him face a ton of like good lefties, So maybe that's literally what's going to happen. Maybe it's Kim tomorrow against Freed. So just speculating two pitching things real quick. Haysu's cano of the athletics books Ernald Lopez today apparently in Spanish from what Haysu's passed along, but Reronaldo talked about how it was a he's kind of begun a light throwing program and he's expecting it to be a short stud on the IL. If you need a reminder, he's on the IL for a knee issue, not an arm issue, which is notable. But the hope was from Walt when it happened that it might be a minimum or a least short stay on the IL, And this is another stuff in that direction. So Ronaldo could be useful have him around, but you wanted to be healthy. He'll be in that morass of every one that the Braves have behind Chrisale. But uh, having him healthy is better than not having him healthy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, see, yeah, And whenever Ronaldo does come back, we'll see what role the Braves ultimately have with him. They could put him in the rotation and maybe move Grant Holmes to the bullpen or no, we'll see. But good to hear that that Ronaldo is doing okay all things considered. And then the other just little nugget. You know, it's been a while, Brad since we have seen Robert Swarez in the bullpen, and I'm getting a little nervous. I mean, it's been almost two months since he has last appeared in a game. And I mean, obviously for this year, the Braves need Robert Swarez, but he's also signed for the next two seasons and I believe sixteen million dollars a year is how they structured it. I think they frontloaded his deal just a smidge. So, yeah, we want to get Robert Swarez back. It sounds like he's feeling a little bit of discomfort whenever. He's still throwing, but seems to be making progress. But yeah, we need let's get Robert Swarez on a mount sooner rather than later, because we were really gonna need this guy if they're going to go deep into October.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Walt gave a long, longish quote yesterday about how they want him to be one hundred percent pain free before he raps up again. He did say that he's feeling very little pain, but there's always something in there still that they're not comfortable with to have him ramp up. That's not what you want to hear after six weeks or whatever it's been. I'm okay with him taking it slow, like you don't want to push him too fast at that age. And he missed the contract. Also, he was just completely lights out incredible before before he went down, So that's a loss for obvious reasons. But yeah, I mean it stuck up on me how long it had been. I knew it had been longer than I wanted it to be, but he went on the il. It was like, maybe he's back in two weeks, and that was seven weeks ago or whatever it was six weeks ago. So and if he hasn't started wrapping up yet, it takes a couple of weeks when you do that, even for a reliever. So it might be September first. We're all guessing, but not ideal for him to be out still at this point in time. And the bullpen's still fine, but the best version of the bullpen. Alex made this argument already. I know that people including me, roll their eyes about. But if you want to make the argument that the Braves need to have their best foot forward in the playoffs and didn't ad a starter, it requires them to have the best bullpen you can possibly have, and Roberts, forrez, is extremely, extremely important to that goal when they get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I'm eagerly awaiting updates on Robert Swarrez at this point. I am pretty I'm decently concerned. I know that you know, they can say all the things they want to say, but yeah, he is a prized arm and even if it's minimal discomfort in your elbow after two months of basically being away, that's that's a concern. So we'll keep an eye on Robert. Hopefully he begins. He's going to need a pretty lengthy rehab assignment too, he's a veteran. But I'm guessing whenever he does come back, it's probably gonna be two or three appearances at minimum in Triple A that he'll need to throw. So it'd be nice to see Robert get back out on a mound and really ram things up in the next few weeks.
Speaker 1: Your rights be concerned. And one more piece of that Wall quote that I should have said earlier, I'm quoting here. At this point of the season, we can't afford a setback. If you were to have a setback, his season is probably over. And that's not him saying it's gonna happen, but that's the reality of why they have done this so far, is that, like, you're right, if you're how you set back in August, any point, you're probably done. And that's a little scarier than we want it to be. So I'm not trying to worry anybody, but I'm a little worried. That sounds like you are as well, and we'll find out what he is going to come back hopefully soon, all right, Scott. In a second, let us preview the weekend showdown with the Yankees up in New York. First though, or from my partners on today's podcast.
Speaker 3: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, there's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father, take it away.
Speaker 5: Hey, if you're a busy family, K twelve is where it's that. I've had a couple of my children who've been home schooled. K twelve has every opportunity to make your child better and smarter as they move forward in their academic career.
Speaker 3: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve pirate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 1: Scott. The Braves are I think probably what we're talking right now, either head to the airports or on a plane or somewhere in routes to New York. And given the age that I am, and you're younger than me, but you're still in this in this window, I don't like the New York Yankees. The Braves had some very bad moments at the heads of New York Yankees when I was when I was a young person, And it's always the headline grabbing thing. Like two of the bigger fan bases in MI Mejor League Baseball, Yankees are the Yankees. Everyone understands what it is, but I always feel a little bit more juice. I gotta be honest with you about a series against the Yankees than I do about just about anything. Like in the record season. Obviously you see the Mets a lot, you see the Phillies a lot. You don't see the Yankees all that often. And I hate the Yankee Scott So I'm just saying that right now on the podcast. This weekend is going to be interesting for that through that reason.
Speaker 2: I mean, might I say it could could be a World Series preview if if the stars aligned. Very possible. Yes, you know the Yankees, their pitching is elite. I think they're second in war in pitching as a team. The rotation is very, very good, and they've dealt with injuries as well. The bullpen is good. You know, the offense has been abysmal for the Yankees, and a lot of that is because of injuries. Aaron Judge is hurt, Cody Bellinger is hurt. John Carlos Stanton, who is always hurt, is hurt. So the offense has been downright bad. I think over the last thirty days they're bottom eight in the league in offense. I think over the last fourteen days they're even worse. I think they're like twenty sixth or twenty seventh in offense. There's still some talent, and you know, the Yankees are I think behind the scenes, the Yankees are a really well run ball club. They're very analytically driven. We saw these guys in previous years. They put up really good at bats. They're always well prepared, but maybe we are getting the Yankees at the right time offensively. Even if the three starting pitchers they're going to throw out, they're all very very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with all that. The pitching numbers are ridiculous for the Yankees this season. I think they're second in the American League runs allowed and first in the RA something like that. They're very good ren prevention wise. I looked this up though, like the Yekas, it's funny. I kind of made quick fun of the American League earlier on the podcast today, but it's not good in the American League. I will say that the Yankees are second best team in the American League right now. They haven't played very well for a little while because of the injuries. I think Aaron Judge is someone that nobody can be kind of afford to be without. He's that good, so it makes sense that they'd be worse about him. But since I looked this up today, like since like early May, like three months now, they've been a five hundred team and that doesn't mean that they're actually that, but that's a pretty good samples other than not being very good. At the same time you go up they go up there and you face their top three starters, so it's a line in a not ideal way for the Braves. They do have Chris Sail pitching, which does help a little bit, but he only pitches one out of the three times and the other the other two games are not favorite pitching matchups. It is Max Freed, Garrett Cole, and Kim Schlitzler who might be the side young winner in the American League. That is, Garrett Cole was not quite what Garrett Cole used to be. He hasn't been so far when he was like a topic guy in the league. But Max Fried's still awesome case Brayce fans forgot, and Cam Schlitzler is the underrated guy. That guy and he's been incredible this season. So there are no days office weekend for the Braves offense. They're gonna have to step up in a big way.
Speaker 2: They are and you know Friday night it'll be Tyler Malley's debut with the Braves, So new friend against old friend with Max Breed. Max has been fantastic with the Yankees. He did miss some time earlier this season, but he's been good since he's come back. You mentioned it, Saturday's probably the best chance the Braves have, at least just on paper, Chris Sale, But the way the team is playing right now against Garrett Cole, I'll take the Braves on Saturday. And then you mentioned Sunday who let's hope they went on Friday and Saturday Grant Holmes, who is coming off a good start, and maybe he'll be able to fool the Yankee hitters who have been struggling. But you know, you mentioned Cam Schlider. I think is like one A one B right now with Dylan Cees to win American League. Cy Young, he's been very very good, burst onto the scene a year ago and has been superb this season. Has a claim to being one of the three or four best starters in all of baseball. So should be a fun series. You know, we don't get to get up to Yankee Stadium a whole lot, but Braves are playing really well. The Yankees are trying to get back on track. They just called up George Lombard, who's a really promising young prospect, homeward in his first game. So there's a lot of good things with this Yankees team. A lot of good things as we know with this Braves team, So it should be a fun series and you would really love to take two out of three and just kind of keep things going.
Speaker 1: Oh man, the name George Lumbard just deraels me. Uh, former Braves top prospect his father, which is quite something to remember from my youth as well. Yeah. Also, this is a very very rare in my memory. Maybe I'm wrong about this, Scott, maybe you can correct me. When's the last time I made Braves Yankees weekend series had zero national TV games? I always always a Fox game somewhere at least a TVs game or something like. No national games for Braves Yankees over the weekend? Yeah, football? Like what?
Speaker 2: No Sunday Night Baseball either? Yeah? Nothing. I mean I'll take it. I mean, I love Braves.
Speaker 1: I don't mind it. I'm just saying, it's just it's weird to not see that. I checked the schedule thinking today, I was like, oh, I need to mention where the games are. I just assume they'd be somewhere else. Yeah, and it's just bras vision all weekend, so hey, easy to find it. But I was surprised to see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I was thinking about our podcast schedule for the weekend. I figured we'd be recording late on Sunday night after Sunday Night Baseball, But maybe the Yankees are like maxed out on primetime games or something, and the Braves have been on primetime quite a bit too. But we'll take it two afternoon games in New York and then Friday night will be a good one under the bright lights. So yeah, big opportunity. We mentioned, of course, eight straight wins, second fastest to seventy wins. You know, the Braves gonna take two out of three in New York against the Yankees. I think that would be even more of just a national statement. And as we're going to talk about off the top, obviously, you want to win every single game you can because it kind of feels like this race in the National League is going to come down to a game or maybe two between Atlanta, LA and Milwaukee, and every time you can notch another win in the column is only going to help your chances for sure.
Speaker 1: And we'll be down in all weekend long on the pod. If and then huge happens will break in thing else, we'll be back again on Sunday. As we always are in our warm blanket of a Sunday afternoon slash evening time slot. Scott, anythingless you want to add before you out of here on Thursday nights, We're trying to have our first sub fifty minute show in a week on this podcast because you and I went long inside Seawan Steven's and it was worthy of that given the all what happened, but a slightly more bite sized show tonight. It' still probably not like super short, but here we are.
Speaker 2: Here, we are, Yes, let's get the boy. I mean, it's going to be a late night. I'm guessing the Braves are going to get to their hotel at three am probably, so hopefully they get their rest. They have Max Freed awaiting them. But you know what, man, I'm imagining Yankee Stadium probably gets the juice is flowing a little bit. You step onto that park. If that doesn't get everything your heart pumping a little bit more, I don't know what will, but yeah, good'll it will be good to see Max Freed. And then of course Tyler Mallley making his debut. All lies on that. If he can throw five or six good innings, I think everybody would sleep a little better knowing that maybe they've added some help to the middle of this rotation. But yeah, should be a fun in New York.
Speaker 1: And if Tommy Moley struggles, the takes will be flying.
Speaker 2: So I might have to lug off.
Speaker 1: If he has a bad first Danning, I'm might have to disclose the close the old laptop for the evening. Just go ahead and close it and we'll see you guys on Saturday. Okay, anyway, I'm not trying to give him an any bad foodo at this point in time. I'm a Tyler May believer. This is a pro teller my podcast, at least what I'm on it. So all right, Scott, thank you for being here with me as always my friend. Everybody else, please stay tuned, Please subscribe to him a territory anywhere you find your podcasts, Apple, Spotify, We're on YouTube, so like the video if you're watching there now, and importantly as well, tell your friends about the podcast. We greatly appreciate it as always, and again we'll be here at the very latest again on Sunday. Stay tune everybody. We'll see you all next time.