Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Bart.
Speaker 2: And Lazarre.
Speaker 1: Hello, everybody nailed it, Joined.
Speaker 3: Us always by our bark. Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Bars. I'm gonna ask you two questions about this. Yeah, but one question and then one SERI in question is Ted McMillan slow. Yes, I disagree. I just don't think he's fast. Oh yeah, Guyang.
Speaker 1: That was a classic semantics argument, and I think today is gonna be an even classicer semantics? Is classicer a word?
Speaker 3: I'm going I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Classicer semantics argument?
Speaker 3: Uh what a day?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is gonna this is shaping up to be a heck of a news day. Here on March twenty sixth, the off season podcast, Evan Lazar, Alex Bar Patriots Catch twenty two with you for the next couple of hours here. I'm sure we'll have plenty of calls, plenty of emails. There's a lot to discuss. It's exciting. Some exciting news for the Patriots last night. Reportedly exciting news for the Patriots last night. So we'll get to Stefan Diggs here at the top of the show. We'll get to the arm length measurement hurdle around the world at LSU down in Baton Rouge apparently this morning, and we'll get to all of it here with you guys for the next two hours, which is gonna be fun. So hey, Patriots fans, you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy a Toyota dot com. It is Toyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle of the New England Patriots. Toyota let's go places and easy to drink, easy to enjoy, but like the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. All right, I want to start with Stefan Diggs. That's the tangible news that we have today is that the Patriots reportedly the tangible reported news that we have today is that last night the Patriots have agreed to terms reportedly with free agent wide receiver Stevon Diggs. It is a three year deal worth reportedly a sixty nine million dollars in maximum value, about twenty six million dollars guaranteed of the numbers that Adam Schefter has reported as of right now, so there's a lot to unpack with this DIGS news. As always with this show, there's a draft angle to everything, so we'll get to that. But I think, just off the top, the overall reaction for me to the DIGS news is a couple things. One, I just like the fact that they're taking a little bit of risk on with the player. I think sometimes they tend to steer more towards deals where they won the deal. You know that it's a smart deal for the team, and it's a deal that doesn't come with as many potential issues or risks. And I'm not talking about his character, his locker room makeup. I'm not worried about that kind of stuff. But the knee injuries, the knee injury, and I don't want to keep on bringing it up over and over again. So we can just right off the top here say with this caveat, he is coming off of torn acl. He suffered a torn acl last October, in late October of twenty twenty four. And the reports are optimistic. I think Schefter reported last night that he's trending or on track to play Week one. That seems very optimistic.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: That would be great news, but we'll see. But in general. It got to the point in free agency for the Patriots Alex where it just felt like they had to do something like this, a wide receiver. They had to take a chance on a Stefan Diggs and Amari Cooper, a Keenan Allen, one of these receivers that's on the wrong side of thirty that might have some flags to him, he might have some issues with him, but the ceiling of the player is so high and what he could bring to your room is just so positive that as a team like the Patriots that needs talent on the offensive side of the ball, needs play making on the offensive side of the ball, it was time to take a risk like this. It was time to take us away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we had talked about this even when uh Geez signed with the Seahawks Cooper Cup was still available. Yeah, I'm so engross and armlean so much arm length. I know, even when Cooper Cup was available, we talked about this, like they needed to take a chance. And this isn't a great signing in the sense that you know, you go back to the beginning of the off season and Stefan Diggs was this big prize right there was t Higgins, DK Metcalf, et cetera, et cetera. But for where things got once those guys came off the board, like you said, they needed to take a shot. If you're taking a shot, I'm all for upside at this point, and whether it be Cup, whether it be Amari Cooper, whether it be you know, some of these other guys that have moved. I think Devanta Adams is maybe the one other guy you argue just because he's healthy, But Diggs has as much, if not more upside than anybody. Yeah, and that was available, so we'll see whees at with the knee. The health is the biggest concern for me, not the off field stuff. I think that's very overblown. But they needed to take a swing, and they took a swing, and if it works out, you have a number one wide receiver. Diggs has been one of the most underappreciated players in the league for the last five years, and I think he'd really have an opportunity to shine here if he's healthy. If it doesn't work out, you talked about the winning the deal thing. It's a little pricey, but like, don't look at that sixty nine million dollar number. That's not the number that matters. If he gets near that number, it's worth it, like, because so much of that is incentive based. If he's actually putting up the numbers to earn that great awesome, nobody's gonna think twice about it. The real number is the twenty six million, that's over three years. My guess we haven't seen the details yet. My guess is that twenty six million is really confined to the first two years, so they'll take a little bit of a hit, but nothing crippling if Digsny doesn't hold up.
Speaker 1: I'm a little surprised I added the third year, But my take on this last week, I wanted them to add the second year. Yeah, because if it works out and then you have another year removed from the ACL in twenty twenty six, it could you could really have two very very good years of Stefan Diggs. I really tell we always hear you bounce back the second year a little bit better off the ACL. So if he comes in this year, has a nice season with Drake May, then in twenty twenty six you might even get an even better version of Stefan Diggs. So I like the fact that they have some team control on the player for a couple of years. A one year deal made a lot of sense for Diggs. You know, come in, get a one year deal, reset your market, show that you can still play. That made a lot of sense for Diggs. But I thought that it was it was better for the team, for the Patriots to get some term on the player so that you have him.
Speaker 3: If it does hit, well, it's doesn't work out. And look, if Diggs goes absolutely nuts, right, if he comes back and he's the best receiver in football for the last however many weeks the season he plays, yeah, he can always ask for a new contract, right, that's on the table. And again, if you're the Patriots, if that's what happens, great, you've got unbelievable wide receiver play. So I just don't I guess I don't think the downside is there in signing him. There is a downside in it in that he's not healthy, So that is a worry, and within that, he's not gonna be on the field with Drake May in the spring, in the summer, and they're gonna have to really play catchup to get on the same page. It might take them a couple of weeks to get into it. But that's not a massive risk for the team. If anything, you can look at the other side of that and say, well, now there's more reps for the young guys in camp, and you have the first four or five weeks like there was last year with Kendrick Bourne, to continue battling it out and figuring out who's gonna win those spots. So I just look, it would have been better if they could have added a guy that had a bit higher of a floor or a higher floor wasn't hurt. Obviously, this isn't the best case scenario for the terms of the offseason, but we've seen We kind of saw this last year when they missed out on the initial wave. There was just nothing. Yeah, and this is Mike Vrabel talked about them. You know, on a plan A, you gotta go to Plan B, you gotta go to Plan C. You got to adjust. You can't just miss out on what you want and walk home with your head down, right. You still have to be able to adjust and find ways to work, And that's what they did here. I don't think Diggs was probably at the top of their list coming into the off season, but I think he was on their list. Their priorities were were elsewhere. Right. We know they were in on Chris Godwin and you know from there it was just focus on defense and Milton Williams gets a lot of money and all that. But they were able to adjust and come back and they got a guy that can be an answer at that position in the short term. I still think we're doing wide receivers in the first round in the draft next year. Diggs isn't a long term answer, but you get Drake May somebody for this year that's certainly not nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last a big picture thought. Then I want to get into some of the minutia about his role and fit with McDaniels and all that stuff. The proof of concept thing sticks out to me as well. In a couple of different angles. You have, like you just said, a proven commodity at receiver that elevates the talent level of the offense to the point where Drake May is in swimming upstream as much. Right, he's got some help now, he's got a guy that he can rely on, a guy that has a proven resume in the NFL, that is a very good route runner, that's a very good possession receiver, that's caught one hundred passes? Was it six straight years one thousand yard receiver? And I think was four with one hundred catch or something like that. And so you have a lot of that and I think that that's going to help down the line. Like let's say this does work out with Stefan Diggs, and now in twenty twenty six, the Patriots are a little bit more desirable. They're a little bit more desirable. They have a one B or a very good two in Stefan Diggs. You know, Now, do they land that big big fish? You know, do they land a t Higgins level talent right at that position? So you have be a true number one elite receiver? Do they somebody? And now all of a sudden at the combine, Elliott Wolf mentioned that they thought they put too much on Jalen Polk's plate. That they they thought they he kind of had the pressure of being the savior, right, And I think right now, if you draft somebody, whether it's first round, second round, third round, whenever, when you add that rookie in, that rookie is not expected to come in and save the day, right, He's expected to be a running mate with Stefan Dicks not the savior of the offense. I think there's something to be said for that that it takes some of the pressure off of some of the younger receivers to come in here and all of a sudden be these bona fide stars, uh to be that guy for the Patriots, to be that true number one guy for New England. The other angle of it to me, as well, you know, along with all these other things, is just when I look at their offense right now and I look at their depth chart offensively, I'm starting I'm starting to feel pretty good about the ingredients that are giving Josh McDaniels. Now, we're gonna talk about arm lengths at nauseum here in a minute, yes, and we're gonna talk about left tackles here in a minute. And to me, when I look at their depth chart, they're a left tackle away from being operational on offense. I'm not saying they're gonna be top five on offense. I'm not gonna say they're gonna be top ten.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna put those qualifiers in there, but representative, they are gonna be up and running on that side of the ball. They're gonna have a playmaker and digs that they can move around, that they can use in different ways, that they can get open, that they can feed the rock to in a high volume role.
Speaker 3: They have a young.
Speaker 1: Quarterback that we all feel pretty good about. If they just have a representable offensive line with a left tackle that can just play the position at an NFL level, you start to feel good about a really good offensive coordinator in Josh McDaniels making that thing hump, like, making all those pieces work. So it's all positive right now. I believe with with Steffan Diggs and this move, I don't really see a ton of downside to the to the point of risk for the team. Like, yes, there's downside that he doesn't bounce back from the injury and he's not the same player. That downside obviously exists. But the risk in terms of long term effect on the cap or on the cash or any of those different things, I just don't think that it's a that it's really gonna come back to bite them if he's not if he's not the old Steffan Diggs. You know, if he's not the old Steffan Diggs, you move on, you know, you rip up the last two years and you move on.
Speaker 3: It's it's a very manageable cap hit in twenty twenty six. I would bet there's no dead money in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, So just to get into some more of the me new share about this with Diggs. The other thing that I find interesting is how exactly he is going to be deployed in Josh mcdaniels's offense. So Diggs has always been a very versatile receiver. Can play inside, can play outside, can play the X, can play the Z, can play the slot. You can move him around all over the place. In Houston, his usage changed slightly and that obviously stems from Nico Collins being really their outside guy with the Texans and being their X receiver, So he played a lot more in the slot. He played a lot more in the Z or away from press coverage, and really I think the more important thing is that he was more of a chain mover in that offense. He was not a big play guy for that offense. He was the guy that on third and six was getting them seven yards. His career low and average air yards per target was last season. He only averaged eight point three yards per target through the air, it was two yards less than his last season in Buffalo, So that's a pretty big difference. That's a really really big difference. So what he went from in Buffalo was obviously the guy, but also a guy that was running by people and making big plays all over the field with Josh Allen. What he went to in Houston was much more of a chain mover, possession receiver or whatever you want to call it. And when I look at McDaniels and his history, especially with those inside receivers, you know, not all inside receivers are slots, you know, all of them are created equal, but guys that are play inside the formation for the most part, that's the high volume role in Josh mcdaniels's offense. The high volume role is the Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Troy Brown, Deon Brand's role.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm expecting them to put Stefan Diggs in that role and it might not look exactly like it did with Julian Edelman, Like you might not be running you know, juke routs and you know, quick hitters and quick changes of directions and things like that. It might be its own iteration of that, but moving digs around, hunting matchups for digs, getting him into the middle of the formation where he can go up against some linebacker and safeties on occasion, using him in motion, using him out of stacks, you know, two receiver stacks, three receiver bunch alignments, everything that you can do, all those bells and whistles that McDaniels uses to get receivers open and get them favorable opportunities down the field to get open. That to me is gonna be Stefan Diggs. So I'm sure he'll play some on the outside, no doubt about that. Maybe there are opportunities where they like him in certain matchups at the X, you know, playing on the back side of the coverage one on one. But I really look at him as an engine of the offense type player within this offense, and if you're you're gonna get the most out of him. I think he plays in that high volume inside receiver role that we've seen McDaniels have everywhere he goes. You know, it was Jacobe Myers at the end here edel Min obviously passed the torch to Myers. Now I believe it's gonna be Steffan Diggs. I think that's good. That being said, if I just had to say, you know, the one not flaw, but the one thing that I would look at with that, they're still kind of missing that prototypical X in my mind, you know, the true yeah, guy that can play on the outside consistently, beat backside coverage, beat one on one coverage consistently, and ideally someone that has some size and some speed, Like they don't really have a ton of that right now. You know, if you figure that, it's gonna be Digs Pop Douglas and then a competition probably ad X between MATC Collins, Kishan Boodie, maybe Javon Baker gets in there, Rookie Hunter Henry, Like, that's gonna be sort of your core group. You could use some speed down the field, and you could use some size. But I'm really intrigued by the idea of Diggs playing a little bit more as like a movable chess piece in this McDaniels offense, like he's used those receivers I've mentioned in the past, versus this guy's just gonna play outside. He's gonna play X, you know, seventy times a game and go one on one all game long. I just like the idea of him moving around a little bit more.
Speaker 3: No, there's definitely versatility there. I wonder if they try to reroute some of the traditional inside ste off to an outside position where Diggs is kind of running some of those slot assignments, but he's doing so from an outside alignment. Yeah, and now we're really.
Speaker 1: Well they could do that from like a condensed formation, especially, so that's what they did a lot in Houston. So you run condensed splits, which means that your receivers, your outside receiver are actually inside the numbers, yeah, versus your outside receiver being on the numbers or even in a really exaggerated wide split outside the numbers. So a lot of these new offenses, especially you know the McVeigh Shanahan tree, a lot of those offenses run in condensed formations, and that allows you to have the freedom to all the space right to run into it too the sideline, versus being you know, pinned up against the sideline.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I wonder if there's a way to do some of that. But I think that the downfield threat the speed is obviously gonna be the question coming off the ACL, Like you talked about how helpfully can be there. But he's one of these guys that as he's gotten older, he's got a lot craft here, right. He has a better understanding of the game, what's going on, things like that, and he can kind of mentally get himself open even if he's not the most explosive player anymore. So I'm looking forward to see how McDaniels uses him. I don't know if you want to get into what this means for the draft as kind of a transition, because to me, this doesn't change anything for them at the top of the draft now if it changes anything draft approach wise, for me, it's like taking that guy between forty in a hut, like between call it fifty and one hundred and fifty, who's just gonna kind of be in that middle mix with Booty and Polk and Baker and burn. I'm good there. I know you said you'd like to kind of bring as many guys into camp as possible, but let the guys you have compete. You have equal players. Riz you know, at sixty nine, at seventy seven, you can get maybe a starting guard, or you can get a good running back, or you can get a safety, or you can get a guy that you know is going to make an impact right away versus well, you know, we don't even sure because you look at this draft it's similar player to Jalen Polk, right. So where I was at with quarterbacks last year is kind of where I'm at with receivers. Now. Take either guy you know is gonna be one two on the depth chart or a true project round six or seven. I don't really have any need for the guys in the middle. But it doesn't change anything at the top because I think Digs one. Digs is a bridge two. Even in the shorter term. I think Digs and Hunter, and I'm still drafting Hunter as a receiver. Yeah, Digs and Hunter can probably play off each other well. And if you're coming out in eleven with Digs, Hunter, and Pop, yeah, that's a real group. That's a real legit group. So I like that's where I'm kind of not just Digs in his own because we're doing this exercise last night, and this is in the wake right of the Giant signing Russell Wilson, which feels like it happened ten years ago. Yeah, and that got everybody all hot and bothered about Travis Hunter. So I'm looking through it in the lens last night. I wasn't even doing just the dig stuff. Really, it was all right, So you're gonna have digs as kind of like a small shiftier X. You're gonna have Hunter in the Z probably doing stuff over the middle, and you're gonna have Pops stretching the field vertically from the slot or something like that. Like that's how I was looking at because if you put those three together, I think McDaniel's he's gonna get in the lab. He's gonna have a lot of fun if you give them those three, and then it's you know, Booty or Polk or Born kind of rounding out the depth chart as your fourth and fifth guy at mac Collins as your your depth receivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. It doesn't change anything at the top of the draft in terms of who you're targeting, Like if Travis Hunter is there, you're still taking Travis Hunter. I think the biggest thing though, to me again is I don't want to get too caught up on the speed thing. I know I tend to do that, and I also just don't want to if you think of another if you think Ted McMillan's a better football player than you should draft Ted McMillan. You shouldn't go ahead and draft I can't, you know, Matthew Golden just because he's fast.
Speaker 3: And I even say, like, does this make McMillan more of a fit, because now you have that right and now digs is your Z or popsters, he digs your slot whatever you want to up. But like X Y Z that that's the ABCD, that's a lot more tradition, Like that would be the traditional right if you add Teed McMillan to it.
Speaker 1: So my fear with with that though, and again I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Harp to that being receiver. For that being McMillan specific.
Speaker 1: McMillan specifically, I think you're really slow. I think you're slow in terms of being able to stretch the field vertically. I don't know if Diggs is that guy anymore now. Maybe maybe they just used him differently in Houston and he's going to go back to being more of a vertical threat like he was in Buffalo. But in Houston, like I mentioned, you know, the air arts per target, the role of the slot usage, all that increase, and he really turned into a first and second level receiver. He was a short and intermediate guy. And I want to put that out there because I want to make sure that that the listeners and everybody like you understand who they're getting. They're not getting a burner over that's gonna make that's going to separate over the top. What about his game?
Speaker 3: What about Pop? Is the field stretcher from the inside. Pop's fast like Pop hass speed?
Speaker 1: Pop has speed? You know you always worry about guys with Pop in terms of stretching the field vertically is like catch radius and ability to win at the catch point when it is contested.
Speaker 3: I contested catch maybe not. He's got pretty good ball skills though he's made some great catches like fall into the ground, Yes, turning his shoulders so you're not throwing him jump balls, but isn't if you're worried about jump balls. You're going size over speed anyway. The idea is he's running past people. Yeah, and that's how he's stretching the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, there's a possibility there, Travis Hunter, to me and Stefan Diggs together, it starts to get it's like getting me a little hot in here right like that? That right there is as good as it could get. In terms of the Patriots, those two guys are interchangeable. You can play them both at the X, you can play them both inside. You talk about play speed, you know, obviously Travis Hunter has plenty of that, plenty of downfield ball skills, plenty of play speed to stretch the field vertically. That would be a really tough group to cover. That'd be a truly tough group to cover with both. All three of those guys are separators, now different styles.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Hunter is a separator because he's a great athlete. Diggs is a great route runner and a savvy, crafty route runner. That's how he separates. And then Pop is like the bursty, you know, jitterbug. But they all separate at a high level, all three of them. Ted McMillan, I've had my reservations about his speed to begin with. Again, if they really feel like he's the best player at that position and they're going receiver at the top of the draft, I'm not gonna sit here and say draft a guy you have a lesser grade on just because he ran a four two nine aka Matthew Golden Right, gonna harp on it. But I do think that you are still lacking in terms of down the field speed, especially from the outside like tech and stretch the field. In the middle, he runs the scene, runs a deep post from the slot, whatever. But when he plays on the outside, he has trouble pulling away from guys on the outside. And I don't know if Diggs is that guy anymore to do that. Pop's certainly not that guy to play outside and pull away from people. But it's an exciting combination regardless with all these options. Now, if we're talking draft though, and obviously the Will Campbell stuff is out there, but when I look at this offense right now, I really feel as though left tackle is like the one albatross in the room, right that's like the one glaring hole that's staring at you. I still think they need more talent receiver. I still think they need a younger receiver than Stefan Diggs. That has some ceiling and some upside, certainly, But when I look at this offense right now for twenty twenty five, if you get them a viable starting left tackle and you give that to McDaniel's on top of what they already have on paper offensively, maybe you sprinkle in some spice running back in the middle rounds something like that, to add a little bit more juice to the offense in a different area of the field. Maybe it's a tight end something like that. I think you're really cooking with gas. So I think you're really cooking with gas if you have a viable left side.
Speaker 3: Of the audics. The problem is there's not many viable left tackles available. Sure, Tyron Williams, Tyron Smith, sorry's the one in freegency. And that's even a maybe like would he come here? Diggs signing probably helps. I wanted one more thing on Diggs. And when it comes to rookie receivers, especially with the guy like Travis Hunter, how much do you put on Digs being like a mentor for some of the younger guys, And doesn't he kind of feel like a more favorable mentor for a guy like Travis Hunter because those two at least prime Digs. He's not that player anymore, but prime Digs played similarly to I think the way you're gonna want Travis Hunter.
Speaker 1: To play absolutely, I mean I love that, you know, I love the fact that he can come in here, even mentor although some of us, not me but you know, some people have given up on Jalen Polk and Javon Baker, But bringing in a guy like Stefan Diggs to mentor even those guys, I think is important and it could be valuable. So I look at across the board, just having somebody that you can look at and say, yeah, this guy's done in this at an extremely high level. This is how he goes about his business. And I think when we talk about a lot of this mentor stuff, we're talking about really you know, like Monday through Saturday, right, Like, how does this guy go about his business? How does he train, how does he practice, how does he prepare, how does he watch tape? You know, all these different types of things that go into being a professional receiver. When you have a guy like Diggs who has a routine that obviously works at a very very high level, it's extremely beneficial to young players.
Speaker 3: So I only have one real question about the Stefan Digg signing them. Worried about what numbers are gonna wear?
Speaker 1: That's fair question.
Speaker 3: So Splaine was Splain has fourteen, which he wore in Minnesota and Buffalo. Yeah, he did wear one in Houston. E Wharton College so you talk about mentoring Jalen Pole gives him one right start off on, I'm gonna give you one, and in exchange, you're gonna teach me everything you know, teach me your ways Yoda, right exactly, Like that should be the trade off. And then polk Get's like sixteen or something.
Speaker 1: So I like that, that's not bad. A couple other things about the draft before we get into Will Campbell of at all, Yeah, just talking about Day two receivers that would fit now at this offense. I'm gonna go to the speed guys a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, like you know what I'm gonna ask you when you name them, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: But I still feel I still like Jayden Higgins as a player. But I still feel the same way that I kind of feel about Tech McMillan. It just feels like you have a lot of guys that are gonna try to win on slants and digs, right, Like, you can't have a whole offensive slants and digs. You have to have somebody else that can do something down the field at the third level. I don't think he's necessarily that guy either. I think he's more of what we talk about with Tep McMillan like a souped up possession receiver. When I say souped up, I mean just a large possession receiver with Jaden Higgins. So you start to get into you know, Royals, right, I think is a good field stretcher. I don't know how you feel. We haven't really talked too much about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm okay on him. At that point, you're probably gonna get him, you know, back end of the third Can you wait till the top of the force and take Kaile Williams at that point? Sure?
Speaker 1: So Jalen Royals from Utah State is who we're talking about. Who's a real a true burner, you know, he is a true vertical threat. Doesn't necessarily have great size, but as great speed and has big plays all over his film at Utah State. But against good opponents as well. It's not all just against.
Speaker 3: What was that the Mac or whatever mountain state in West the Mac is like.
Speaker 1: So that they don't know it's not all against you know, bad competition. Uh, he's a good player. I think he's got some speed, he's got some juice. You know, I'm gonna I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Bring up isaiabah All right fast. And you know, I'm gonna bring up a fast and.
Speaker 1: But if you're looking at the way that this offense is built, like they kind of just need fast, but they.
Speaker 3: Go sign, Go find whoever this year's demere bird is in free agency and sign that guy. You don't need to use a top one hundred pick on that guy. If you're just looking for guys you like to say, who's gonna run wind sprints back and forth to make sure the other team keeps too safeties back, you don't need to use a top one hundred pick on that guy.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough. I don't know if this is if he's truly an outside guy. With Kyle Williams, I know he's picking up a lot of a lot of steam. You know he's a popular guy right now, Yeah, in the draft community. But Kyle Williams to me still feels undersized.
Speaker 3: You just want a guy to run up and down.
Speaker 1: But he's in the he's in, he's on the list.
Speaker 3: You know who is still a free agent? You want somebody in that role? Who's that? Could we call it the what do you want to call this role? The I feel like the mere bird's an under cell. Who else had it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Philip Dorsett. I guess who else That's all I got right now?
Speaker 3: Nelson Nelson still a free agent.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I don't think Nelson Aguilar has got the got the juice like he once did.
Speaker 3: Philip Dorsettroll is probably better way to put it.
Speaker 1: Uh, how do you feel about Saveon Williams?
Speaker 3: Oh? I was gonna ask you about that.
Speaker 1: Because it kind of makes sense now at this group it does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's not He's.
Speaker 1: A he's got a little bit more receivers, like he gets all the Quardill Patterson comps for obvious reasons. But he's got a little bit more receiver's skill, I would say, especially uh, contested catch and like leaping about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I worry about the hands. I guess you're not gonna have. You're not gonna have running a diverse route tree, so the route running doesn't matter as much.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's gonna run, go ball, Go ball.
Speaker 3: I really like I was working on this take this week. You remember my take about Joe Milton last year, like the not the thing about eighty yards that Joe Milton was the most interesting player in the draft, Yeah, it was the most entertaining player in the draft. I think Savian Williams has that title this year. I think Savian Williams's most entertaining player in this draft. But I just with there and I know it's new staff there, history of developing my receivers and all that. From where he's gon go for where he's gonna go, I think his success is as a gadget player at that. If you're just looking for big and fast and I'm doing Taekwon again, do you just go Dante Thornton.
Speaker 1: So he's gonna I was gonna get to him, But Savion Williams really quickly. I just the one thing that stood out to me when I watched him is that he's a little bit more refined at the catch point than I was expecting, right, Like I was really expecting Cordell Patterson, who is really not a receiver. He's probably better as a running back, honestly, Yeah, Patterson. When you watch Savian Williams, you mentioned the drops. He has some really bad focus drops where like he's just open, the ball hits him on the hands and when forever reason he drops it, he's like he's he's like Marcus Smart. He makes the most ridiculous shots you've ever seen, and then when he has a freaking layup, he blows the bunny right Like that's Savian Williams. He is a really good down the field, high point, go get the ball type of receiver.
Speaker 3: He's also really good with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then when you throw him a slant and there's nobody within five yards of him, he'll just drop it and you're you are left scratch.
Speaker 3: I just I worry about that guy here, especially with a young quarterback. I just don't know that that's I really like him. I'm perfectly content watching him succeed somewhere else if they if they pass on him and he goes somewhere else and he has success, I'm not gonna fault them for it. That's a tough projection, all right. I'd be more like, you know, I'm more in a group of like I don't want to take away too much for me. It's like Dante Thornton, I was ty Felton on there ye Mary d k from Florida Deep getting a little deep. That's kind of where I'm taking a receiver.
Speaker 1: Though, So Dante Thornton's interesting. Yeah, Now if they draft Dante Thornton, who ran like a four to three and his last name is Thornton, you don't even if you know that, you know what everybody's gonna say. Right, it's and I mean it's gonna be automatic.
Speaker 3: Five eight two o five four three flat.
Speaker 4: Fur.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize he was only five eight sorry, six six five. I don't know what I was looking at a five five eight. The hand size says five eighths. It's right below it six six five two five four three. Yeah, we're doing we're doing Thornton again. No, we're not doing Thornton again. No, because he's he's bigger. He's he's bigger. He's built bigger than taekwan Thorn by a lot. What do you mean by a ton two? He doesn't look though, Okay, but if he's if he's one hundred and ninety, he's still.
Speaker 3: That's okay, that's fair.
Speaker 1: He's still he's got more mass than Taekwon uh Thortondo.
Speaker 3: But he also played at Oregon before he played at Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he but he plays fast like it's it's not just a forty time when you turn on the tape with him, he runs well, you know, he is a true take the top off the defense kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I just those are some of the names that I had on my list. If you're you're really looking for a specific type of receiver. Again, if you're going in the first round, you're just taking the best receiver available, Like if it's TEP McMillan, it's Tech McMillan. Uh, you're just going with the best guy. But when you start to get down the board a little bit, if you want to be a bit more picky about the skill set and making sure that it fits with what you have. Uh, Dante Thornton, like early on day three, maybe you.
Speaker 3: Know like a couple yea years ago, sell me on that a couple.
Speaker 1: Of years ago they would have reached on him and taken him in the second round, right, But.
Speaker 3: I I I don't need a wide receiver at like sixty nine or seventy seven or even one oh six. After that it makes more sense. So again, Felton Thornton, you're you're sleeping on tre mariy dk.
Speaker 1: Okay from Flora.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've watched him at all now six one, six, four, three, four. Uh, he's really good at beating press, getting down the fields, getting open contested catches. That's kind of it. You're not gonna run him underneath. He's not gonna give you a lot after the catch. His hands aren't He's not quite as bad as save on Wims, but his hands aren't great. But he's gonna go down the fields and run fast and make plays on the football. So if you're just looking for somebody to do that and you can get him, probably you might be able get him in two seventeen. Honestly, Yeah, they have a gap between one forty four and two seventeen. My guess is he'll go somewhere in there. But I also think they'll close that gap somehow.
Speaker 1: I need somebody that can run a go I need somebody that can run a post, and I need them to be able to do it very well. I need two routes.
Speaker 3: I think that's pretty much all he can do.
Speaker 1: But you gotta do it at a high level, like I you know, I'm not talking in no shade meant, but like you know, I don't think Kishan Boody and Javon Baker have proven that they can do that at a truly high level. Maybe Booty. Booty had a nice season last year. I don't meet the crap on Boody. I know there's a lot of Booty fans out there, and he had a nice season last year, So maybe he's the answer. Like, maybe he's the guy that ends up, you know, being that true outside guy that can win a deep on a deep route.
Speaker 3: Maybe he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to get somebody else in here to at least compete for that.
Speaker 3: Do you want the Lancer line on DK, because I think this is exactly what you're describing. Niche receiver with average hands but good early speed to bypass mad coverage, gives life to the vertical game. Second and third level receiver whose routes have the energy of a youngster on a playground with all gas and no breaks. He's more of a field stretcher than a volume option, but his talent for opening deep windows could appeal the teams in need of speed. So you put him, That's like exactly the guy you're talking about. You can get him so much later you put him or Dante Thornton.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a competition with Kaishawn Booty and Javon Baker. Yeah, to be that developmental X right to be that high upside developmental X. I don't hate it. I don't hate it.
Speaker 3: I just I don't want them taking that guy in the top one hundred where they can address other needs.
Speaker 1: Agree, because frankly, the guys that are best in the top one hundred or not that guy, right, it's Jalen Dowell, it's you know guy guys.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a couple you know. I don't Sadian Williams would be in there. Yep, Isaiah Bond, Tory Horton.
Speaker 1: Are those guys going top one hundred?
Speaker 3: Tory Horton's fringe, Isaiah Bond will Yeah, an if you really go up there, I.
Speaker 1: Think even that starts outside the top seventy five. Like I still think we're thinking late day two for Isaiah Bond.
Speaker 3: That's still too high for me. Yeah, day three pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Should we get to the Will Campbell?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, so you have to do any reads first?
Speaker 1: Nope, We're gonna get right into it. We'll do the reads here in a second. The this is truly getting bizarre.
Speaker 3: I've been telling you people this for weeks.
Speaker 1: By the way, this no, no, no, no, no no, this is this goes beyond just the combine crap. Okay, this is We've been doing this really full time since what eighteen seven, twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: So the first draft we worked together was the eighteen draft. It was the Isaiah win In Sony Michelle Draft.
Speaker 1: This is the most bizarre situation I've ever encountered in my time covering the draft.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think.
Speaker 1: We we now have three different arm length measurements for the same human being. Like we third the one from last spring that Jim Nagy reported and then Greg Badard confirmed, Yeah, which was thirty two and seven eights, so a year ago last spring. I believe it was at one of those like camp or something like that, or they, you know, the NFL Future NFL camp thing. He was thirty two and seven a's yep, Will Campbell. Then he goes to the combine, Yeah, and he measures in at thirty two and five eights. I have takes on the combine.
Speaker 3: We'll get to those.
Speaker 1: And then we get to his pro day and he's thirty three flat.
Speaker 3: So I'll say this on the the thirty two and seven as and thirty three Yeah, twenty one years old. Yeah, it's a growing boy. It's no, I'm serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you're right?
Speaker 3: Is it that unrealistic? A twenty one year old grow a little bit in a year. So I count the thirty two and seven a's and the thirty three as one measurement. Those two, to me are the same. Like if you're off by that margin, who knows what happened, maybe his fingernails out or something.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: The five as is completely different.
Speaker 1: So here here's where I stand on all of this, because I admit, fully I have been all over the map on how to feel about this, right, like originally all in on the player back in January, based off the film the com Hits. I'm out on the player because I think he's a gar with his length. I'm panicked, Right, what do we do? I overreact to the combine. It happens a month later after the combine, we get another measurement. Now I feel like I'm getting pulled back in. My gravity's pulling me back in. Now I've been all over the map on the player, I fully admit that. But what I come back to at times like this, because again, this is the most bizarre situation I've ever encountered covering the draft. I have never I never remember there, and I know you're gonna get to your your study here in a second.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: It's not just Will Campbell. The arm lanes are screwed up all over the attack.
Speaker 3: It's not just the arm length, it's other things too. But I just did a young le Jalen Milro's hands grew exponentially.
Speaker 1: Right we are, We are really all over the place now. If you're an NFL team, if you're Elliott Wolf, Mike Rabel and Bryan Towden, my guess is that you're gonna have Will Campbell in for a visit. At some point. You're gonna take out your own tape measure and you're gonna measure the freaking arms. Yeah right, that's what you're gonna do. But above all else, I think we're at the point now where you got to trust your instincts based off the tape, and you either like the player or you don't. You're either in you're out based off the film, like let's not get bogged down or caught up eighths of an inch of arms or wingspans or whatever the case may be. If you're out on Will Campbell at left tackle or for the Patriots at four Overall, you're out that that's your prerogative.
Speaker 3: You can be out.
Speaker 1: Well, you're in. You're in like that, don't come out on the measurements. I don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: Because I think people forget this. You're allowed to change your mind. You should change your mind when presented with new information. You are absolutely allowed to change your opinion and or just your opinion and change your mind. It's healthy you, nobody's good. Nobody should chastise you. Oh you should this last week, blah blah bit No, like as you I've done it, you've done it, we all do it. Like as you get new information during this process. Absolutely just you're allowed to do that. If you're somebody who's been out on Will Campbell because of his arm length, and you see this number and you think maybe you believe it, and I'll give you a minute and a reason why you should believe it, nobody's gonna be mad at you for saying, oh, you know, well, I think his arms are actually longer, So I'm in on Campbell now. You're absolutely allowed to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think really my message would just be at this point ya, just trust your eyes, Like if you think the player is a good player, yeah, and you feel comfortable with the player off the tape, the tape doesn't change. The arm lights have changed every single way. The tape is consistent. The tape is the tape.
Speaker 3: So here's where the arm like measurement is consistent. You're ready, You're ready to exercise?
Speaker 1: No, let me say one more thing, because I know this is going to take a second, so I'll keep on reiterating the same thing too. About where it shows up on his film, I think he has a really really good anchor and he's really strong, great course straight, So I don't see it show up a ton on bull rushes. I just don't, you know. I think when he went up against Shamar Stewart, who's a really powerful long bull rush. Sure he won some and he lost the rights. That's offensive line play, but he held his own like. It wasn't like Shamar Stewart was getting into his chest and ragged alling him out of the way consistently. I don't see that on his film. What I see with Will Campbell is that he sets out too far. He overseets because he's trying to get out to those high side rushers to try to keep them off the outside right to get his hands on those guys. And because he doesn't have the length to reach out and extend with good leverage, he gets a little bit over zealous and he jumps out too far. So when he drifts out, it inherently will open the inside. So what you see a lot of Scorrton got him on it. I think Canard got him on it once. You see a lot of inside moves like spins crosses over his face right into the inside gap. So those rushers, he has a tough time with that type of guy, Like a guy that's really twitched up, that can fake like he's gonna go outside, Get him to commit to go outside and then swim inside of him or rip inside of him or spin inside of him like those guys are gonna give him a little bit of trouble. Now, can you coach that out of him? Is there improvements that you can make? I'm sure, like you know, we'd have to get you know, Dante Scarnecki on the line and ask him right, but I'm sure there are. Okay, But that's where it comes out to me on the film with him at tackle is that he has to be a little bit more aggressive in his past sets because of the length, and then sometimes the really well skilled and explosive rushers can make him pay for it. But at the end of the day, we're talking about one or two reps a game where it burns him. So he has sixty eight great blocks and then they'll have one or two where it comes out and burns him. Now that's offensive line play, right.
Speaker 3: So he talked about this, He gave that quote about you know, you make one mistake and certainly people want you to work in an Amazon warehouse. Yeah, how many such plays would you for obviously for different reasons, guys get beat? How many such plays would you say per game a guy like Josh Kahn has on tape that get beat.
Speaker 1: Uh, I would say Ursery is more so in past protection that he'll get beat. I don't know, maybe three to five times a game. We're talking about college, right, So that's the other thing I have to remember, Like they're already man amongst boys in a lot of matchups. So you know these guys, don't you know? Armand Membu gave up eight pressures the entire year last year at Missouri. Eight was on the right side the entire season, so we're not talking about a ton and and I would also mention, you know, with Campbell that has to be mentioned, he played in a true pro style.
Speaker 3: Drop back offense with the quarterback that had zero pockets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody loves the quarterback for good, good arm, but you know, can throw.
Speaker 3: He needs map quest to get out of the pocket.
Speaker 1: So he didn't play in a r P O offense. He didn't play in a run heavy offense like Membo did. Uh, he didn't play in an r PO scheme. He didn't play in a college offense. They had true traditional dropbacks at LSU last year where he's blocking, true pass sets, no play action, no bells, and whistles a lot more than the other guys. So his flaws as a result, especially down in the SEC where he's facing you know, like I just mentioned a bunch of top one hundred pass rushers almost on a weekly basis, there's a lot more volume to like true pass blocking reps for Will Campbell than these other guys. I would say that on the whole. You know, he's the best pass protector in the class.
Speaker 3: Campbell Campbell, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Now there's the member of it all. We'll get to that, but get to your numbers.
Speaker 3: All right. So this is just again because I was saying after the combine the numbers didn't add up, and it was like me not being ready to quit Will Campbell or anything. So just just for context. And by the way, the LSC measurement at Cornet Field Yates was taken by an NFL stafford, not somebody from LSU who's gonna try to pump camp Just.
Speaker 1: To add to that, there's a Patriots staffer on his name. I'll look it up when you start talking. Who runs all of the New England area pro days. Yeah, so he ran the BC Pro Day, he runs the UMass Pro Day. He does not work for Boston College. He works for the Patriots. So that that's what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: You say that, So okay. So I went through and I did some research. It's guards and tat there's a few. It's tackles with a few guards mixed in and I think one center just to kind of there weren't a ton of Shrine Bowl guys who went to the combine, so I just to increase the sample size. So Will Campbell from the combine to his showcase. So showcase is pro DA Senior Bowl Shrine Bowl. Right, he lost three eighths of an inch in our measurement. All right, that's a big difference. Maybe they're trying to hang on. Josh Connery and we're doing the Senior Bowl now, from the Senior Bowl to the Combine lost half an inch. Arianta Ursery seven eighths of an inch, Wow, Wyatt Milam four eighths, Gray's Abel two eighths, Ozi Trapillo four eighths. And I know that's a half, but it's just so it's all scaled clay web five eighths. So those are just a handful of guys. I picked out that one outlier. Somehow, armand Membo gained like half an inch, so something different happened with him. So you're saying, okay, So well, either the Senior Bowl was off or the Combine was off. Who do we believe? Well, the Shrine Bowl was off by almost the same amount, So shrine ball. Holland Pierce lost five eights of an inch, Drew Kendall lost five eighths of an inch. Brandon Crenshaw Dixon lost four eighths of an inch. Joshua Gray five eighths, Xavier Trust three eighths, John Williams seven eighths, Joe Huber three eighths. So either the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Bowl were both somehow off by the same approximate amount individually, or the combine was wrong, which one's more likely.
Speaker 1: So, Paul Perrill, do I have to give credit? We'll tell you that who has more skin in the game for them to measure longer? The college All Star games or the combine. The answers to college all Star games like the Senior Bowl in the Shrine Bowl, which I love both events, by the way, Yeah, have all the reason to fliff up.
Speaker 3: But then why hasn't it been done in the past That numbers generally line up in the past.
Speaker 1: So the only question is that I you know, that's a great question. You think maybe it's because it's a short arm class.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll say this. You think that the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Bowl. What's the word I'm looking for colluded on this? No, because they didn't seem too happy with each other this year, definitely to get together on a project. So if that's the case, the Senior Bowl and the Shrine Bowl, and I maybe I should run the hula bowl too. I don't know if they had any guys at the combine, Yeah, they would have had to come together and say, Okay, we both need to overmeasure, but we have to overmeasure between like a quarter and seven a seven inch, and we got to get everybody within that range in order to pump these guys up. And then we have to hope that people believe that we didn't clude or like you get what I'm saying. So much that would have to happen to be the case a conspiracy. We need Michael Hurley for this. We're turning into the conspiracy. Well, but like, look, if the NFL screwed up, they could have cost these kids some money. So I don't know. I'd like to know what happened there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would do. I mean, this is this is crazy, This is absolutely banana.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put all the numbers up. I'm gonna I'm gonna write something on this. I'll have all the numbers up later if you want. But again, outside, I don't know what happened with armand Membu. He's sort of a weird outlier in this. And I didn't include Calvin Banks in. Who's the other top tackle, Josh Simmons. Yeah, because I don't have a second measurement for them. I couldn't find the measurements from Texas's Pro day. Ohio States Proday is going on right now. Neither one of them participating in the Senior bowls, so we don't have or Shrine Bowl or anything. So that's why those guys got left off. But my guess is what I think Banks was thirty three flat at the combine or like just over thirty three at half an inch to it. Simmons whatever he measured at the combine at half an inch to it, I think we're gonna use the combine numbers for arm length. We got to understand that's probably the lower end. So maybe LSU gave Campbell a little bit of help this independent staffer. But to go from the five eighths to the seventies, even if that's the gap, that would be on the low end of the misses. Again, most of these guys are off by half an inch, if not more. Arianta URSII, John Williams, we even talked about he's a Day three pick from Cincinnati. They lost like a full inch on their measurement. That's very different. Also, ers might have thirty five inch arms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big guy. There's no doubt, like that's not a doubt like he's a big Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's just I'm just saying. You know, I'm generally anti math, but in this case, follow the numbers. At this point, put this away. I got what I need is.
Speaker 1: Trust the film. Just trust the film. If you don't like the player, you don't like the player. I'm not gonna sit here and argue. We've argued about these players at nauseum for months. I like the player. If you don't like the player, don't get caught up.
Speaker 3: In the arm light. Jesus, you know what I brought.
Speaker 1: He thinks he's hilarious right now that the tay measured.
Speaker 3: I mean we're talking about that's not the point and you know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or if you want to get caught up in it again, I would just say that I think every single team that it's going to be interested in Bill Campbell is now going to have to get their own independent arm length measurement because they can't trust the combine.
Speaker 3: Right, And I guess my point is I don't think that independent measurement is going to come in at five eighths thirty two and five as I think it's gonna be longer than that.
Speaker 1: Thirty two and seventy eight.
Speaker 3: Thirty two and seven sounds right, thirty two and seven eight well, but again, even that that would put him on the low end of miss.
Speaker 1: Thirty two and seven A sounds consistent and right to me, just based off what we know about his arm being a little bit shorter, and if you can give him that extra eighth of an inch to get him to the threshold, then things like the pro at the p then you fluff it up.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 3: I also think it's possible that a twenty one year old grew a little bit in the course of a year, because that that thirty two and seven A numbers from a year ago.
Speaker 1: So let me like put you in in other terms, like if you run a forty at your pro day, yeah, and you're four or five flat, doesn't it sound a little bit.
Speaker 3: Better if it's four four and yeah? Yeah, I get you're saying right.
Speaker 1: So, like I could see that being the case. But at the end of the day, if it's thirty two and seven a's we're right there. We're right there.
Speaker 3: But all right, So let's do this again. We did this exercise last week and I don't think you loved it, but you actually two different answers for we're going again because you put me on the spot, Hunter and Carter off the board.
Speaker 1: Well, Campbell, the phone's not written yet. So last week pounding the table. Okay, So here's here's what I wanted to like point out.
Speaker 3: Last week. It was very and I understand why I'm not faulting you for it. There was some hemming and hawing in a thought process. Now you're coming back, we do that exercise again.
Speaker 1: Gotta trust my instincts on this.
Speaker 3: But now you're pounding the table. So you feel better about it now than you did a week.
Speaker 1: I feel better about it. I feel better and I'm pounding the table for it. But I think it comes back to the take that I've had about this entire draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I keep on.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm taking crazy bills because no one will listen to me when I say this. You know I'm not saying you, but just in general, this is not a blue chip draft.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 1: So if we get to four on half night and Abdul, Carter, and Travis Hunter are not there you are picking between flawed options, right, everybody has an issue at that point. Yeah, Will Campbell hast long enough armand Membu played the wrong side of the offensive line. He's a right tackle And I have a take on that in a second week and get to after we get to some of these calls. Yep, Ted McMillan slow, yeah, or he's not fast as you not fast?
Speaker 3: That is correct, right? Uh, Genty, Genty's a running back. I actually have real quick aside if we're gonna positional value thing aside, like actual makeup of the player, there actually is a red flag for Genty. I was doing some work on it. Yeah, he has seven hundred and fifty touches in the last three years. That would be fifth in the NFL during that span. That he's a young guy. That's a lot of mileage for running down. That's a if they were gonna take Genty and we were, you know, to come in here the next day and talk about it after you're you know, done, just getting in your feels, that would be my bigger concern than the positional value. Is this is a guy that has a lot Yeah, like you better maximize him early because that's third contract, probably not second contract.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know the number off the top of my head. Yeah, gent D feels very Zeke Elliott to me, Wait many carries seek Elliot might not have gotten as many because Ohio State has so many players that they can turn.
Speaker 3: They leaned on him, but I remember.
Speaker 1: Them leaning on him. Dallas leaned on him early in his career with the Cowboys. He had five really really like all pro caliber years with Dallas and then it dropped off a cliff.
Speaker 3: So he had six hundred fifty. So we had one hundred less touches than gent D in that three year span. But I would say six hundred and fifty touches in the Big ten a lot probably equates to seven fifty in the Mountain West.
Speaker 1: Last couple Tyler Warren, tight end Older, late breakout, late breakout, Yeah right, you know all those types of things. The Georgia guys, you know, Jalen Walker's an undersized linebacker. He's a two hundred and forty pound edge rusher, slash hybrid linebacker. MIKEL Williams doesn't have the NFL the college production.
Speaker 3: He's a project.
Speaker 1: He's a project. Shamar Stewart definitely a project.
Speaker 3: I don't even put him in that tier because there's so many other ed rushers ahead him. Calvin Banks.
Speaker 1: Calvin Banks guard, you think so? I think some people think he's a guard.
Speaker 3: No, you you you're in the room.
Speaker 1: Body control, balance, you know, being able to mirror on an island, pass protection. Basically, that was a fancy way of saying pass protection. You know, like those types of all these guys, is my point. All these guys have warts. They all have warts. And so what it comes back down to with this draft is that, in my opinion, this is a fits draft. This is a a needs draft. You want to call it that, It's a fits draft.
Speaker 3: Best player for the football team.
Speaker 1: This is the player that we need. This is the player that we have a vision for. You know, this is the player that fills a hole, that fills it, that has an immediate pathway to high volume of snaps. I don't think that there's going to be any separation between that group in terms of grade on the player. So when I continue to hear best player available, what happens when you know some teams they all use different grading skills. Let's just go one to one hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it makes it easy.
Speaker 1: What happens when you have six guys that have a eighty five all of them are be players. They all graded out as eighty five. Right, what is going to be the deal breakers? Where should positional position, positional value, how they interviewed, What do you like?
Speaker 3: The kid? Do you like?
Speaker 1: So these are the things that are going to matter in a draft like this. I wish it was different if they had a Joalt level prospect, if there was a Molik Neighbors level prospect. You're not asking these questions, right, You're not getting into this minutia. That's not the year we're in. It's not the draft we're in.
Speaker 3: Well, we kind of did this last year with Harrison and Alt when we because we had the obligatory, like if they don't go quarterback conversations, Alton Harrison were tied and we went to positional value and things like that. So it's the same thing, just with lesser caliber players. But they're all the same within the draft, they're all the same caliber.
Speaker 1: Can't sleep until football season starts. Let's let Bob's discount furniture help. Not only do Bob's mattresses have next level sleep tech like breatheable anti anti microbial covers come on a lumber, supporting individually wrapped coil system and signature bob Opedic gel memory foam. The Copper Radiance and Treasure were recently named Consumer Reports recommended mattresses. So if you want to score the ultimate sleep touchdown, make your way to Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furniture store of the New England Patriots. Marine Anti Microbial Yes in a read we can do Better. Patriots Catch point two is sponsored by Massachusetts two fifty campaign, commemorating a history of possibility. Plan your revolutionary weekend at Massachusetts two fifty dotal. All right, I know you guys have been waiting on the line for a while. I appreciate it. We're gonna get to your phones right now now. Mark is in Connecticut.
Speaker 3: What's up? Mark?
Speaker 7: Hey, guys, thanks for taking my call. As always, I had a couple of things for you guys. Yay, yay, we got thirty three inch arm yay. The big thing is Alex, I talked to you one ninety five the sports up on Sunday morning.
Speaker 8: I was right.
Speaker 7: Two year deal is what this essentially looks like with a third year option. Great deal, I think for the value on it. So I'm very happy about that. Travis Hunter, if we get him, I really think, like Evan was saying earlier, this is a legit offense and I believe a playoff contender. Now, if you're talking that, the last take is we need a guy I don't know. I'm sure you guys remember him, but this guy was awesome. Josh Gordon. I know we had problems off the field, but when he was on the field in twenty eighteen, he was a baller. I am thinking that's the type of player Evan that you're trying to talk about.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 7: Am I correct on.
Speaker 6: That, Evan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Pretty close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think a little more speed.
Speaker 1: Gordon was more at that stage of his career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that stage of his career. But yeah, no player like that that would be would be great. And I think with Hunter, like it just all comes down to if you draft Hunter, yeat to move back up and get that tackle. Like, if it's Hunter and then you move back up and you get a left tackle, you're in great shape.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Love you guys, Thanks, Mark, appreciate it. A little bit of more Will Campbell news from LSU's Pro Day. This is from Jordan Reed to ESPN. Great great draft. Follow if you don't already follow Jordan. Will Campbell has already visited the Patriots, so he's already had his thirty visit with New England and apparently he also has one on the books with the Las Vegas Raiders. Here, I'll just read the tweet. LSU aligned Will Campbell conferred to us on SEC network that he will not participate in the pro day today and stand on his numbers from the scouting combine. He has already visited the Patriots and will visit the Raiders later this week. So Will Campbell, according to Will Campbell, already pretty good source, already been in New England already on a thirty visit with the Patriots, so that is extremely notable. Randall is in Texas.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 1: Randall? Randall you there?
Speaker 3: What's up? All Right?
Speaker 1: Call back and we'll get you on. DC is in New Hampshire. What's up, DC?
Speaker 4: I was hoping you could help illuminate something for me, which is how much impact a draft grading system actually has on a team's draft board in their grades. Because when I heard like Craft and Vrabel allude to how Elliott Woof didn't get to implement his system to.
Speaker 6: Like a layman, like an idiot like me. I'm thinking, like, so, what what difference does he make?
Speaker 9: It was he was still the guy.
Speaker 2: Making the decision.
Speaker 4: So I'm really wondering what would.
Speaker 6: Last draft, How would it have impacted last draft? How it would have been different if he had this grading system? Then what might we expect to change for this upcome draft? Any any clarity for an idiot like me?
Speaker 1: Much appreciated, thanks DC, And you're not You're not an idiot. It's a good question. So I talked to Elliott Wolf at the Senior Bowl about this a little bit, and uh, he did mention that he wouldn't necessarily put a ton of stock into the changing of the grading scale, But the idea of the change of the grading scale was more to just grade the player on the best player available, versus being the Belichick scale, which was very role oriented. Right like, we view this running back in an early down roll, or we review this running back in the third down back role, you know, allah James White, Right like, they had early down linebackers, they had pass game linebackers, they had base ends and they had pass rushing ends like all the way down the board. It was a very specific role, you know, slot receiver, inside receiver, outside receiver, and it had a vision of how does this fit into the new England Patriots system schnatically and so at times that would lead to certain players being higher on the Patriots boards that might have been lower on let's say, at consensus NFL board. And the idea for Elliott Wolfe and I believe this is how they do it in Green Bay as well, was to just grade the player in a vacuum like do we think Will Campbell is better or armand Membu? Nor what role is he going to play? You know, none of this other minutia. When we're stacking the board, you know what determines that. Now, at the end of the day, like I said, I don't think it was a huge impact on last year's draft. I don't think they necessarily would have changed a ton about what they did and last year's draft. But that's the idea of it. And just the last thing. The reason why they couldn't fully change it from the Belichick system to this new system is because all the in person scouting Hay was already in the barn when they made the coaching change. So a lot of the evaluation process is done in person, boots on the ground at LSU at Ohio State and physically watching these players up close at games, and so all those grades were already in the books, so you can't redo the grades right like the grade's already done. So they didn't really implement it fully last season because of that. So this is truly the first cycle in the draft where they've used entirely this new system of grading. So I hope that that helps clarify some of that.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it will have a major impact. I don't want to over analyze it.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, it's sold just everybody's evaluating the same players. I don't think it makes that big of a difference.
Speaker 1: Yep, I agree, all right, Sean is in Vancouver. What's up, Sean?
Speaker 10: Hey guys, I'm just wondering what the injury status will be for Diggs. Do you think he'll be ready by Game one?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 10: When is he going to be fully dressed? I'm playing for the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for the question. So Adam Schefter last night, yep, straight from Stefanzik's agent, I assume, yeah, said that he will be ready for a week one of the regular.
Speaker 3: That he will be, but that like he could be. He's tracking, tracking, find the.
Speaker 1: Exactly week one. That seems lofty. That seems like a high benchmark. Yeah, for what it's worth, and I'm not a doctor, don't pretend to be one, but for what it's worth, he's posted some things on social media that he's already running at full speed, which the Twitter doctors tell me that is ahead of schedule. Right, for him to be running at full speed five months removed from surgery, that's a good sign.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Kendrick Bourne is the one we always kind of go back to with this. He tore his ACL in twenty twenty three late October, around exactly the same time of twenty twenty three, and it took him almost a full year.
Speaker 3: To get back eleven months, right, he came back at the end of the beginning of October.
Speaker 1: Right, So I think realistically, twelve ish games of Stefan Diggs in twenty twenty five is probably the realistic.
Speaker 3: So the record if you want to call it that for the ACLS. Famously, Adrian Peterson, who tours ACL on Christmas was back for Week one and then won the MVP because the guy was just we don't talk enough about it. How impressive that was. Frankly, I knew he had an eight month ACL recovery. I knew he had an MVP. I forgot that were the same year. What a just amazing player. But you know, is it week one? Ready for week one? What does that mean? Maybe he's ready to begin football activities week one? Remember last year Kendrick Bourne talked about how he maybe could have played at the start of the season, but having those four weeks to ramp up football wise made a big difference. So maybe week one he's like technically ready, but they give him that ramp up. I wonder if there's a thing because you have that ability now. And I was actually just looking. The NFL just sent out like the updated rule change proposals and they are formalizing that thing that they added last year where you can choose two players who don't make the initial fifty three and designate them to return. So I forget exactly what the rules are about how involved those players can be in camp? Yeah, but is it something where they maybe they.
Speaker 1: Can't be if they can't. Okay, so well, actually, no, I take that back. You can't be on pup in practice right once you practice, you you're ineligible for pup injured reserve. You could technically practice and then go on.
Speaker 3: So I wonder if it's a thing where maybe, and maybe I'm wrong on this, I have to really go and look at the rule. Yeah, I was gonna do that this morning, and then the little stuff happened. Do they get Digs back maybe in August around when the preseason starts, just to get him on the field with Drake, may get the early steps in. He then goes on that ir designated return. He continues his ramp up for four weeks, and then boom, he hits the ground running week five. That might be like a best case scenario kind of thing. Yeah, I'm assuming I gotta look up that rule.
Speaker 1: I'm expecting to see him in October at some point I think is realistic. If it's week one, great, but I'm not expecting week one. I'm hoping week one, expecting October. Either way, though, he should be healthy to play the majority of the season, Like this isn't a situation where he's going to be back in December. Right, it should be, and I.
Speaker 3: Will say it what I think helps. I haven't seen the medicals. I'm not a doctor. I don't know, but from everything I've read, sometimes when guys tear their acls like this is this is the case for you? Right? It was ACL MCL and I think he did something else too, Right, we're PCL or whatever. Other meniscus blah blah blah, this and that. As far I can tell, with Diggs, it's just the ACL.
Speaker 1: They didn't non contact aco, they.
Speaker 3: Didn't have to fully rebuild his knee or anything like that. It was the one ligament. So that has to help, right, Yep. I'm trying to find the we take this next comment? All right, Randall's back in Texas?
Speaker 9: Was that?
Speaker 1: Randall?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 11: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Evan?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 11: Yeah, listen to for a year now. I just want to give you all a shout out, man, because I've started listening to podcast recently, and I've been listening y'all since we started the draft and when y'all we got Drake May last year.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So I have a couple of questions actually. First off, now that we have Steffan Diggs, do you think it's kind of redundant to drafts Ed mc miller at umber four? And also let's say we do document number four, do you feel like who do you feel like would be I guess the roster cut after if you weren't a draftman, for example, because we would have like what seven may receivers after that on the team now from tennim milling, who do you think would be like cut candidates that were to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Randall, that's a really good question. I thought about this too, and I know that it's kind of crazy to think about because the Patriots we've been starving for talent at that position, and you're not going to turn away talent at the receiver position. But numbers are numbers, Like there's only so many roster spots, and if you draft another receiver with a high draft pick, that's a guaranteed roster Locke, He's right, you're talking about having I believe eight receivers on the roster that I'll have a chance to make the team. It would be the rookie Diggs, MATC Collins, Pop Douglas, Kaishawan Boody, Jalen Polk, Javon Baker, Kendrick Bourne. That's a big group, that's it. Yeah, it's a big group.
Speaker 3: But you are going to have an extra roster spot at the beginning, probably for Diggs.
Speaker 1: But still it's a why would you have an extra rosspot because he's like on I R.
Speaker 3: Potentially I'm talking about once you get in the regulars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's eight guys. You want to call it seven because of Digs a situation that it might be seven, you could keep six and you could do it that way. My guess is is that whoever is the odd man out is they do try to look for a trade. Yeah, and I love Kendrick Bourne, but it's possible that he could be involved in a trade as a veteran receiver with some some cachet, with a resume of success in the league. I think you get to the point there where you you might have to offload one of those guys, whether it's releasing one of the young players that that just isn't gonna cut it, or it's trading a guy like Kendrick Bourne for whatever you can get for him just to make room on the roster. But it's a fair question. Even though again I'm not saying don't draft Travis Hunter or Tech McMillan because you have too many receivers. Nobody's saying that, but it would cause a crunch a little bit at that position. You'd have a lot of players there.
Speaker 3: And I just the first part of question, I don't think McMillan's were done. And by the way, I found the rule, and I should have known this from last year because Christian Barmore technically practice, yep, and they designated him return. So you could absolutely if Diggs is ready to practice in mid to late Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, the question is, yeah, if he practices, he can place him on injured reserve. There's no problem right now. Technically he's supposed to have an injury, and I know he does, but like it's he's supposed to have an injury that happened, right, like I guess, yeah, yeah, But you could always just say that the knee's not ready, right.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a big difference between being clean. It'd be I think that would pass. I don't know. You don't want to lose a draft pick over it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm not like going there. I'm just saying, like, technically, injured reserve is because somebody got hurt and how they're going on injured reserves. But Isahle's out there suffers a concussion and he's on injured reserve.
Speaker 3: What I'm describing though, is like he'd probably be out there in a red non contact jersey, is probably only doing one on like one on ones if dad, he's not doing team drills like a guy that's clearly not ready for the season. Yep, I would say Counts is injured. I think that that's totally fair. Being able to practice and being able to play or two completely different things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he takes him off the pup possibility, right, but it definitely puts.
Speaker 3: Him on ir possibility. Like, look, if he's playing in preseason games, I see why that would be weird. But I don't think he's playing a preseason game. Yep.
Speaker 1: All right, Patty is an Agua on what's up.
Speaker 3: Patty Cup guys, Good afternoon, Good afternoon.
Speaker 9: So I had a couple of questions. The first one I'll take on there if that's okay. The second one I'll take off there. So just what it's scenario? They Carter and Hunter, I got it for. We take Will Campbell and the brain Trust to stand, we're going to take a receiver at pick thirty eight with our or with our second pick, whether they trade up thirty eight trades and whatever. Now, we know historically from Wolf's days in Green Bay that he favored taller, rengier receivers, and we know that historically with Josh McDaniels, they like kind of the smaller, shiftier slot guys. Now, let's say the choice comes down between the two Iowa State guys. Could you see like that getting contentious with Wolfe or do you think like he would just defer to his coaching staff and say, you know, all right, if you guys wanting to well, do you think he's a better fit for the system we're gonna run, We'll go with them.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think that they would defer to the coaches. Thanks for the call, And I don't think that's something that happened on draft night. Those are conversations that are happening. Yeah, no, And everything that he said, Elliot Wolfe has said since the combine really is that he wants to pick players if the coaches want to coach, like, he wants to get guys to coaches like. I don't think he's going to force. I think the exact line he gave was that I'm not going to force players on the coaching staff, and I don't think that he's in the business of doing that. So if they truly feel h strongly as a staff, as a coaching staff, that Jalen Noel is a better player than Jayden Higgins for them, then they'll take Noel.
Speaker 3: It was the second question. I think that was the only question he said he had.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to get into this question though from Floyd.
Speaker 3: The second question is always like really nerdy ones.
Speaker 1: He can email it in her callback, Patty before we get to the rest of these phones. I do want to answer this question because I think it's a it's the next on my dock and we kind of got lost.
Speaker 3: Is this your take? No, But okay, guys, I want to get to that.
Speaker 1: But this is I go ahead, lost in the sauce of the Campbell arm length conversation a little bit. But uh, this is from Floyd and Michigan, not emailing it about Mason Graham for once, which is nice.
Speaker 3: And Floyd says, could you please.
Speaker 1: Discuss the signing of Russell Wilson and Jameis Winston and the impact on the draft for the Giants. So last night on Twitter, Alex I got finger wagged. I got finger wagged big time. How dare you on Twitter for suggesting that maybe the Giants having two veteran quarterbacks under contract could take them out of the quarterback sweepstakes? And how could I?
Speaker 3: Like? How could I? Because I've gotten fingerwack for that too. Let me just point this out. Yeah, the Giants being out of the quarterback conversation at three and the Giants being out of the quarterback conversation period or two different things. Right. Maybe it's you know, Brian day Ball is coaching for his job. Joe Shane is building this team for his job right now. And you could look at it one of two ways. You could look at it and say, they want as many options as possible to make sure they're good, or maybe they want a young quarterback so that ownership has to keep more undeveloped that guy. But if they feel like Russell Wilson with Jamis Winston is like a floor, they may look at it and say, well, let's get these guys on the weapon. We don't necessarily believe in these quarterbacks as much. And then you know, how big is the gap between to them? So this is the one thing I don't think the Giants are abdol Carter doesn't make sense for them. The one thing they have is edge. So if you get Carter and Hunter on the board for them, it's quarterbacks one two. If they're just not going quarterback, right, let's say armand Membu go second. I've seen that in a couple of mont drafts. Yeah, I think it's Hunter not Carter, and then Carter falls to the Patriots. But do they look at it and say, well, all right, what's the gap between Hunter and say who's a Oman or I guess would be the guy right or Luther Burton? Even what's the gap between Hunter and Luther Burden versus the gap between Shader Sanders and Jackson Dart If he falls, maybe they trade back up, or Jackson Dart and Will Howard or Jackson Dart or sorry, Shoulder Sanders and Jalen Miller, Shadeur Sanders and Will Howard or something like that. Do they look at it and say, well, let's just we have Russell Wilson, who we know can handle himself, got a team in the playoffs last year, kind of let's just get him another weapon and then we'll you know, we'll develop Millrow, or we'll develop Dart, or will develop Howard or something like that. I could see that being there. That makes as much sense to me is them going quarterback at three.
Speaker 1: Makes more sense to me.
Speaker 3: So a couple of things, well, all depends how they feel about you shed there, But.
Speaker 1: A couple of things. One, I agree with your line of thinking completely. To me, if you wanted to take a quarterback at the top of the day and you're gonna target Shadoor Sanders at the top of the draft, there's no reason to sign two bridge quarterbacks, right, There's no reason for it. You would sign your Jacoby Brissett, who probably would have been Jameis Winston, right, and you would have drafted Shador and you would have done exactly what the Patriots did last season with Drake May and Jacoby Brissett. You would have had the exact same setup. Yeah, for a regime, and Brian Dable and Joe Shane, who are coaching and GMing for their jobs right now, who are on the hottest of hot seats, like I think they might have the hottest seat in the NFL.
Speaker 3: They yeah, probably they are on.
Speaker 1: The hottest of hot seats. Drafting Shador Sanders to sit him behind Russell Wilson does not help them keep their jobs at all.
Speaker 3: No, at all.
Speaker 1: And I understand everybody brings up the Michael Pennock situation in Atlanta. It was a first year coach in Atlanta. They had some leeway, they had some rope, And I would also add, well, they also probably thought that Michael Penix was a really damn good quarterback. I don't think Shador has thought of in that way. And the last thing.
Speaker 3: I'll do, we don't think Pennix was thought of in that way last year. But I'll just honest I had a credit Fred Toucher for this because I was talking to him about this yesterday. Do you think that there's any chance that Shown or Shane and Dave Ball look at it as we all right, we're gonna go to ownership. Hey, we just drafted this kid. You got to keep us here to develop him because if you fire us, the next guys might not want him. And now you blew this pick. Do you think that there's any chance that they see drafting him as kind of giving themselves a lifeline a life jacket, if anything.
Speaker 1: Drafting him would give them a lifeline by playing him and saying we got to work out the rookie quarterback quirks well.
Speaker 3: But like either way, I'm saying, like there's an argument you made that drafting him one way, like you have to play him. Maybe they don't plan on play. Maybe they think Russell Wilson is like a high level bridge.
Speaker 1: So Russell Wilson is getting paid ten million dollars of guaranteed money that for next year.
Speaker 3: That's the last year.
Speaker 1: Eight Yeah, but not ten and no it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I think it was eight total. I think it was eight total.
Speaker 1: Anyways, my point is this with the Giants, you can look at it one of two ways. If you're a Patriots fan that's hoping that that they're gonna have Abdul Carter or Travis Hunter fall in their laps at four, the class half full is is that the New York Giants either I guess there's three ways they do it anyway, right, and they draft shed Door at three overall and have three quarterbacks in the room. They the Browns take Shador, which would obviously help if it's one two cam Ward Shadoor Sanders. My fear and my fear all along with this quarterback class is that I don't think the league is as high on Shadoor Sanders as the outside noises. I just I think that's been the reporting, and that's been the sense, that's been the feel going all the way back to January. And what happens is is we get thrust into the draft and all, and we go months and months and months, and we turn and turn and turn, and usually by the time that April twenty fifth rolls around her twenty fourth or whatever it is, we're back to square one, which is this is the board that was set in January, based off the scouts and the tape back in the football season.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So the whole take that I have right now is Shador is that I think it's just as likely that we're gonna see a Shador Sanders slide as it is that we're going to see him go in the top three. Like I think that there's a chance that nobody wants you to door in the top three. And the last thing that I you know, reason why I feel that way it feels to me is everybody's looking for a lifeboat to escape drafting Shador Sanders High. Like everybody's looking for their Russell Wilson, their t Smith, their Aaron Rodgers, potentially Kirk Cousins in Cleveland. There's a lot of smoke there.
Speaker 3: Somebody's gonna get left on the outside though. There's not a game of musical chairs. There's not enough seats, and maybe that is the.
Speaker 1: But it could be in the New Orleans Saints, or it could be the Pittsburgh Steel or you know, it's not going to necessarily be one of those times three teams real quick.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Brissett got seven million guaranteed here last year. Okay, so Wilson attends it's a little gap, but the cap went up, but as a definitive backup this year, definitive backup. You know which Kobe re Set got for guaranteed money? What eight million? Wow? I don't think ten million dollars guaranteed is like a locked in starting quarterback contract.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's I just don't think that signing. I think signing both those quarterbacks doesn't smell quarterback at three. Like if they had just signed Jamis or if they had just signed Russell Wilson, absolutely then quarterback at three is much really in play. Bringing all three of those quarterbacks, it just doesn't make anything.
Speaker 3: I just check out. I default two teams get weird and stupid at the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: So maybe the rule the stupid team is Cleveland, in which case that's but but I would just say if it's Cleveland, I don't think that's the best case scenario for the Patriots either, because I think the Giants go Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I well, some people would argue Abdul Carter is a better outcome than try was Hunter because he's a better player, but I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: But I'm not saying that it's because he's not a better player.
Speaker 3: I have him as a better because you want offense. I want to and that's fair. That's a fair argument. Multiple teams can get done at quarterback, and I would say you are. It's already a position where teams are willing to really over extend themselves and get desperate. You bring up the Michael Pennox move, which I'm on the record is liking. That's a desperate move. It worked out, but that's a desperate, Hail Mary kind of move. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's not a desperate move to me, that was trusting your scouting, like they thought that Michael Pennix was a franchise I could get back, and he fell into their laps there and they couldn't pass on the franchise quarterback. I just don't think that they don't think the scouts like the other players there too. I just don't think that the league views should here that way.
Speaker 3: So okay, but but here's my point, like teams will we already know teams will get desperate in a little out of pocket with the quarterback situation to begin with. You compound that with you have both the head coach and the GM having the hottest seat in the league at their respective positions. The Giants are in perfect position to do something totally crazy, whether it works or not, whether it's the right decision or not. I don't think you could take anything off the table, whether it's taking a quarterback at three, whether it's passing on three and going to thirty eight, whether it's taking quarterbacks at three and thirty eight, whether it's not taking a quarterback at all. I don't think there's anything the New York Giants can do at this point. There's one thing that would surprise me, Frankly, and it's if they take Abdul Carter anything else. You tell me they take Will Campbell, You tell me they take Ted McMillan again, multiple quarterbacks, no quarterbacks. I don't think there's anything the Giants can do at this point that would surprise me. To me, it's all on the table with them.
Speaker 1: I just look at the Giants right now, and you mentioned it. They need to win point blank right in twenty twenty five. Yes, they need to win in twenty twenty five, and you know, maybe Fred Toucher and you will be right about it, buying them some leash if they had to develop this young quarterback like Shador Sanders. I don't look at it that way. I think that this is the Maras are gonna look at this as a results based season. Are you do you get to our floor wind.
Speaker 3: Total or not?
Speaker 1: Like if let's say they said it at six seven games, do you win seven games or do you not? If you do well, you get another year. If you don't, you're out. Like it's I really think it's gonna be that cut and dry. What helps the Giants win seven plus games next year? The most sitting, drafting and sitting Shadoor Sanders for a portion or all of the season, or drafting Travis Hunters.
Speaker 3: So that's a very logical way to look at it. But are they sitting there and saying, we need to make sure we have a viable quarterback this year? Jamis Winston's erratic, Russell Wilson is old, do we want to make sure we have a third option? So even if we get here's the thing, Wilson and Winston both have their questions, your your jobs on the line. Would you spend like you're gonna go to Tommy DeVito. I guess it's it's not necessarily a logical way of looking at it, But I'm saying you have to.
Speaker 1: Question it doesn't that's not how teams typically operate.
Speaker 3: Let me put it. It's not it's not how teams typically Well again, I go back to the Penix thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the Penix thing was different.
Speaker 3: But it's not. It's teams getting weird about the quarterback coaching.
Speaker 1: Staff in the in the general manager in Atlanta or in a much different place. That has to be said, like they're in a much different right.
Speaker 3: They had less incentive to do something like that. The Giants are more incentivized to grasp.
Speaker 1: But straws they had more incentive though, to take some on a on a weird pick. I guess you can't if you're the Giants. You cannot draft a player at three overall that doesn't play as a rookie. You can't do that as a as an organ, as a regime.
Speaker 3: Unless they think, unless they think less of Russ than we're maybe projecting something because they're really nervous about quarterback and they it's that.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: Is it possible. I'm not saying it makes sense, but teams have done it. It's kind of like, as I'm speaking through it now, are they taking the Are they gonna take the same approach a quarterback that the Patriots took at the offensive line last year? Well, let's just get bodies, Let's just get as many bodies. And so this is what I'm saying. So maybe it's not at three, but I'm not rolling out. And by the way, within all of this, and yes day Ball and Shane hot seat, shouldn't Kevin Stefanski's seat be just as hot? The Browns haven't made the playoffs in five years.
Speaker 1: I'm not rolling out to Brown's taking Sha Door.
Speaker 3: I'm like the Browns. We could have the same conversation about are you betting your job? Like I feel better betting my job on Russell Wilson than I do on Kenny Pickett. And I don't feel great about Russell Wilson, but I feel better about Russell Wilson than Kenny Pickett.
Speaker 1: I am not taking anything off the table for anybody. But if I had to guess, the Giants know one of two things. Chador stinks, nobody wants you Door yep, which I think is a possibility.
Speaker 3: What if this all just is them getting turn the second round.
Speaker 1: That's I'm not totally ruling that out, or like late first round trade up situation. Chador stinks and nobody wants him because in my mind, everybody's running for an escape route from drafting Shador standers. The Saints brought back Derek Carr for God only knows what reason. Right The Raiders traded for Gino Smith. The Giants signed multiple bridge quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: The Seahawks paid Sam Donald one hundred million.
Speaker 1: The Seahawks paid Sam Darnald. The Steelers are gonna potentially sign Aaron Rodgers. They all are getting.
Speaker 3: Quarterbacks pay justin fields.
Speaker 1: Sure, they all are getting quarterbacks to avoid having to reach on a quarterback in the draft, and I think a lot of them probably would feel like Shador in the top five is a reach. Now the glass half full again, is that maybe the quarterbacks are going one to two and the Giants know it, so they know they're not gonna get one, unlike the Patriots last year who had three with three quarterbacks, right, and so they had to go other, go elsewhere with the quarterback. Now it's that's still okay for the Patriots, it's not My ideal is still Travis Hunter. So I don't think that's ideal. But you're still getting ad to a carter, which is.
Speaker 3: Great, or maybe a haul in a trade down. Yeah. I know that's sensitive subject.
Speaker 1: But another one I got fingered right, yeah, the same person. Anyways, let's get into armand Membu here a little bit and then well we'll wrap up some of these calls.
Speaker 3: Uh wait, same person. What Oh, I know what you're talking about now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Uh with armand Membu, so we're getting a lot of calls, getting a lot of emails about him at four. Overall, my feeling on armand Membu and I did some digging on this, and I asked around about this to a couple of people that would know My feeling on armand membu is that there's almost I would say there is just as small as a sample size of career college right tackles flipping sides to left tackle and being good successfully successfully. Yeah, you're really looking at one guy and then like one and a half. Okay, Tristan Wharf's is the is the one right if you want to point to somebody, just like we point to some of the shorter tackles with Will Campbell and say that the guy that the Shawn Slater is the guy for Will Campbell in terms of shorter arm tackles that made it in the NFL. If you're looking for that guy, then Tristan WARF's is the guy. He was a college right tackle. He actually played his first season at right tackle in Tampa Bay. I forget who it was.
Speaker 3: Who do they haven't left Donald Penn?
Speaker 1: They had somebody at left tackle, might have been Donald Penn for Brady's Super Bowl year, Tristan Worf's played right tackle.
Speaker 3: Oh it was Donovd Smith, right, Donovan Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those guys that guy moved on, retired, whatever, and Tristan Worfs has since flipped and is an All Pro. He's fantastic, He's one of the best. Him and Penny Soel are the two best tackles in football in Trent Williams. So that's your guy if you want that to happen.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was Donald Smith, the other guy, the.
Speaker 1: Half guy like Jedrick Wills did it. I don't know if we count Jedrick Wills as like a great player.
Speaker 3: If they take Jedrick Will it four overall, I'm with you, yeah, yeah, so do that later in the draft.
Speaker 1: Jedrick Wills did it, and then the other couple are attempting to do it. Tyler goeighton Talisa Fugala, who I don't know is gonna continue to do that. Jac Latham and Tennessee did it his rookie season, and then they signed Dan Moore Junior to the worst contract in free agency to move jac Latham back to right tackle. Right So Tyler Goetton like was on and off the bench all year long in Dallas trying to play left tackle as a college right tackle, and jac Latham played it in Tennessee for one of the worst teams in football, and then was immediately moved not one of the worst team in football, and then was asked to move back to right tackle, and they signed Dan Moore Junior. So, if we're gonna sit here and we're gonna say that there's a tiny sample size of short arm left tackles that have made it in the NFL a llah Will Campbell. There's similarly a tiny sample size of right tackles that have flip sides to left tackles and have worked out a la armand Membu. In terms of Membo the town, I think there's a lot of talent there. He's better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. He's a very very good run blocker, especially on zone schemes. On the front side of zone schemes. He can hook the end and get you out on the edge in a hurry, and he's very very good at that. He's very good at climbing to the second level of the defense. He is a great run blocker, really good run blocker. Based off of his measureables, he can play tackle. He's got the athleticism, he's got the length. His body type is a little bit of guard he's a thicker body, shorter, thicker, shorter, stouter body type. But he's he's gonna, I think, with the length and with the athleticism, is going to check out as a tackle for most teams.
Speaker 3: So he was was he was a guard. He did start playing football TI late till I think like tenth grade, and he was recruited to Missouri as a guard. Yeah, and then kicked out to tackle once he got there.
Speaker 1: So I think we're in the same spot that we are with Will Campbell. If you like Armand Membu's tape better than Will Campbell's, then you could say that he can flip sides just like Will Campbell can make it work with shorter arms. I think it's a risk just the same. So if you're if you're out on Will Campbell was short because of short arms, I can't really see how you're in on flipping Armond Membou right, Like, I feel like both those things are equal in terms of the risk with the or the risk reward with the player.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think it's a risk either way with you. And then I also just you can't draft a guy there with Morgan Moses at right tackle and plan on sitting him like he's.
Speaker 3: Got the fourth overall pick, has to play right now. Some people might say, try him at left tackle for the year, then move him back over when Morgan moses or tires.
Speaker 1: But could do it, or just.
Speaker 3: Take a left tackle and then take a right tackle next year in a better class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could do it now. The emailer that kind of sparked U, you know seguitoes into this, said that you know that that exact plan, right, why don't you play him at left tackle as a rookie kind of like guard as a fallback for Will Campbell. The fallback for Armond Membu is that we're just gonna flip him back to.
Speaker 3: His naturals because and it's the same risk with Campbell because if he can't do it, now, what are you doing at left tackle? And if you're gonna say go get a bridge, I would say, then just get a bridge and draft the tackle next year. Yeah, it's interesting. I thought.
Speaker 1: It's hard to project his tape. I would say as a pass blocker I mentioned earlier, you know these RPO college offenses run heavy offenses. I would describe Miszoo as run heavy. You know, they ran the ball.
Speaker 3: They were this year if you go back and watch twenty three, you'll get some more because they just they had to get away from Brady Cook. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They also he played on the right side. He did not face the same level of rushers that Will Campbell did, And I would also just mention that he got some help on that right side. They tended to help their tackles, like quite a bit at Missouri, chipping moving the pocket.
Speaker 3: Because they good luck because they had Javon Foster last year if you any player before that time.
Speaker 1: So they didn't have as many. He doesn't have as many true dropbacks on his tape as Will Campbell does. I think he's a decent pass protector, but I think he's a better run blocker that to me screams right tackle. That's typically a right tackle in the NFL, high level run blocker, solid pass protector. You keep him on the right side so he's not on the blind side of the quarterback. That's typically the thought process there. But we'll see a couple of other things on tackles. One draft guy that I want to get to here in a second, that that I have watched recently, but this is from Phil in Toronto. He asks about Tyron Smith and signing him as a potential stop gap. I've started to come around on Tyron Smith already, but just reading the tea leaves of what they've done so far, doesn't it make a lot of sense that they would do something like that to go into the draft and take best player available and not be hamstrung by need and all that kind of stuff. They've done that at every single other position on the roster now, especially with Diggs right with the signing out wide receiver, they have found a serviceable answer for twenty twenty five for the short term at every every other position on the roster edge rusher with Harold Landry and Chase on right tackle, with Morgan Moses wide receiver, with Stefon Diggs and Matt Collins. The only spot that they haven't done that yet with his left tackle, which makes me feel like, is there a Tyron Smith offer out there? There could be. He was a I would say NFL average left tackle for the Jets last year, just like Morgan Moses was an NFL average right tackle. So you're gonna get Tyron Smith. He's gonna be a respectable NFL caliber left tackle. Pair him with a high draft pick, even if he doesn't play the whole season because the injuries, which has been a problem for him, you have Josh Connerley, Arion Rasrie, whoever waiting in the wings. I don't rule it out because that's what they've done everywhere else on the roster.
Speaker 3: If they were to do that, how would you feel about drafting I guess you could do this with Membu or Campbell at four, playing that guy at left guard this year, and then moving that guy out to there, which tackle position next year.
Speaker 1: I'll love it because I just I don't want to do the mic on one. No right where like he's playing inside, playing outside, is playing left, he's playing right, like I guess I would like I would prefer to have him entrenched. The only say that with a Day two pick that you're not quite as invested in, And that's different like if they drafted, uh just throwing a name out there. If they drafted like Anthony Belton, Yeah, and they played him at left guard and then maybe they they projected him as left tackle long term. I wouldn't hate that upside play there, maybe not at four them.
Speaker 3: The only reason I say that is because all right, if they answer it at left tackle, it truly is best player available. Can't you make a really strong case that Campbell's still the best player available.
Speaker 1: If those two guys are off the board.
Speaker 3: Sure, and now you really don't need to chase a need the I mean the alternative would be, does Aston Genty become more realistic if they signed Tyron Smith?
Speaker 1: That's what the emailer. That was the case the emailer. Okay, yeah, take ash gent.
Speaker 3: I mean there's an argument there.
Speaker 1: There's an argument. I just look at the you know, before we even get to the repercussions on the draft. Yeah, I just look at what they've done so far in free agency, and that's the one spot where they don't have an answers.
Speaker 3: But does he want to come here? That's that's why they haven't gotten any left tackle? Yes, not guys that want to come here. If it's Hunter, Carter gone, phone not ringing for Tyron Smith is here? Who's your pick?
Speaker 1: Hard Carter? Hunter gone? And Tyron Smith is here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Still Will Campbell and you're playing him at left guard? Is it tat McMillan to add to the receiver room? Is it member with guard and moving the right tackle next year? Is genty Moore in play now, is Tyler Warren Moore in play Now? I'm on Jalen Walker.
Speaker 1: I would steer towards Campbell still, I think that they might go for one of those Georgia guys, and they might go for defense to really put the cherry on top of the defense right and really completed, at least in their eyes, right with a Jalen Walker or something.
Speaker 3: So you would take Campbell and playment left guard, yeah, because if you're taking him there, you're playing him and then the is he's kicking out next year? Yep. At that point, I don't know if i'd do it. I have a long look at Ashton gent Man at that point. I think, honestly, I think I might go McMillan in that situation because now you're like really putting that wide receiver room together. You're giving Drake may at target he can grow within the long term, and maybe McMillan doesn't have quite the ceiling of a guy usually take up there. But I guess you're still gonna have to go left tackle next year in the draft. But like, if you take McMillan there and he becomes your T Higgins and next year you draft the Jamar Chase. You're really like you're in great shape. That's a tough one. Yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm still not taking genty, but I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I said i'd have a long look. I didn't say I take him, but I'd have a long That's a nice cop out, all right, Roger just said I might take me.
Speaker 1: Robin mccatskills has a question about Charles Grant from William and Mary, who I watched recently. He's kind of the the middle round, like, you know, a high upside tackle prospect right like raw, really toolsy. You can see the athleticism, you can see the movement skills and the range at the position right when you turn on the tape. He's one of those guys played at a lower level at William and Mary. With all those guys, I always say the same thing when you turn on the tape, do you know who you're watching?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you are?
Speaker 1: You automatically like, that's the guy that's gonna be an NFL player because he's obviously not playing with other NFL players on the field. So there's one guy that belongs in the league. And if he doesn't move like that, and he doesn't displace defenders in terms of blocking. You know, if he doesn't have the play strength and the athleticism that just are separating him from the rest of the guys on the field, and then he's not the guy I did think. I saw that with Charles Grant. Now at that being said, his past sets need to be completely reworked from the ground up. He is a total project. In pass protection, he's a kind of like a segmented just like clunky mover and pass protection. But he also is you know, baited easily out of his leverage, you know, with fakes and stutters and things like that, as hand placement issues, footwork issues.
Speaker 3: He's got a.
Speaker 1: Long way to go as a pass protector. He's a true project. That's you're taking this guy to develop him over a two or three year period. Not an answer right away at left tackle. But that being said, when you get past that Connery Simmons ursery tier, if you want to throw Covin Banks in there, when you get past that tier, you're really you're at like Anthony Belton in Charles in Charles Brant, like that's like the next tier of true left tackles, probably in the third or fourth round. So I see some upside there. I see some potential there, but certainly not a long term answer at that position, or not a day one answer, I should say, at that position. So let's get back to the phones and we'll wrap it up here. A few more thoughts on some pro day stuff, but let's let's get back to the phones. Craig is in South Carolina. What's up, Craig?
Speaker 12: Hello, here you go.
Speaker 1: You're on the air. What's up?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You can?
Speaker 12: I mean, okay, cool, let me turn up my sound here. Sorry. Anyways, God, I am just so excited about getting to Pond Diggs.
Speaker 3: And if you.
Speaker 12: Actually, for one, I agree with what you said Evan on he he elevates the receiving room immensely. And if you've seen his workouts, I mean, how much weight he's actually putting on that knee. I just blew my mind. I'm like, man, this guy's gonna be ready to go. So I know you guys are hypothetical and whether he'll be ready to go, but I think I think, man, it's going to be something amazing to watch and totally change the teams. But you know, I coached football for five years So this is how I fulfill my need now that I'm not coaching. Listening to Evan and his breakdown has been amazing. But one thing about Bill Belichick is whenever he couldn't defend someone and he would out, he would, you know, make a big effort, go out and get him. Like Milton Williams. There's a guy that pretty much really hard to defend. Thinking with Diggs, but I liked your take on the Tyrone Smith. I think we need to go grab him right away.
Speaker 9: That's all I got.
Speaker 1: Thanks Greg, Thanks for the call. It's exciting and I was texting you about this before the show. I don't know if he'll be healthy for training camp, yeah, but if he is, I'm just really looking forward to seeing him practice because we cover camps and I'm not trying to throw shade at the receivers that we've covered. But it's not exactly been Steffan Diggs right, like, we haven't really seen that. The one time I saw it was DeVante Adams in Vegas right when we had the joint practices, AJ Brown last year when he came for the joint practices with Philadelphia. But to see a guy of that caliber practice day in and day out. I think would be a great just for entertainment purposes, but also great just for understanding what it looks like like in a practice of Like, this is what an elite receiver looks like on the practice field. I hope that we get to see that at least a little bit, maybe towards the end of training camp. All right, this is a this is.
Speaker 3: A big one. We gotta we gotta go to big ee Eldred.
Speaker 1: You got a receiver?
Speaker 3: Man? Do you like it? What do you think.
Speaker 11: There?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 2: Fello's how y'all do it? Hey? Yeah? I like Diggs. I wanted Diggs when he tried to leave Minnesota and Brady get the Kicks or whatever and billow Chick wouldn't take him eighteen Buffalo got him after that and who I ask every every year? So I wanted him back then. But question something my hurt on the radio, Evan and uh, let's say Travis Hunter is right there, poor you right there, dollas come up to you, say they give you they number one they won this year, one next year, a two this year and a three to four next year to get Travis Herner? Would you do it?
Speaker 1: It's a good question, alidra Dot thanks for the call, and I'm glad we finally got a receive for Aldred has been calling in.
Speaker 3: There's some extra in net in that in at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since I got here, and I'm sure even before that, I know it's big DK guy. So that's all the way back to nineteen. I would not do that for Travis Hunter, I don't think, just because to me, it just it marries up way too well with need and player and talent and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: You're getting a future first. I'd see if I could switch those secondary picks, get a future second and a third. This year you get two extra I don't think Cowboy's gonna be very good this year. You get two extra top fifty picks. Next year, in a much better draft, You're still gonna be able to get a solid player at twelve. Like if you can get Matthew Golden at twelve and then you have two first round picks next year, that's tantalizing.
Speaker 1: Man, it's exciting. It's it's intriguing. I should say, so is pairing Travis Hunter and Drake May for the next decade.
Speaker 3: That's true, right, but what if it's uh, the Kendrick law next year. I'm just pulling names. I really haven't done that much info on these guys, but like Carnell Tait next year from Ohio State, and it's that guy, and.
Speaker 1: I just I would do it for abdul Carter. They have enough on defense. Yes, abdul Carter would be the finishing piece, and that would be you have.
Speaker 3: To get a haul to trade abdol Carter. But like if someone think give you a hall, you get.
Speaker 1: A haul if if they if it's abdul Carter at four and I said this over the weekend, it's the other thing that got me chirped on the internet. If it's abdul Carter at four and somebody offers you that that's the will Anderson trade package, which I think was my take. By the way, So will Anderson trade package to move down to let's say to ten to twelve range and you get all the stuff that that Eldred said. I think the Patriots have too seriously consider doing that because I think they could play a game tomorrow with Mike Brabel coaching them up and have a pretty good defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, abdul Carter would maybe take it from good to great. I don't allow for that, but I think that you would have invested heavily now Digs. It doesn't change it, but it kind of changes the tap a little bit. But you've invested so heavily on the defensive side of the ball all off season that I think that you have enough on that side of the ball to be competitive if you traded down and you got the Hall, which is the big part of it, right, and then you were able to still take a tackle or receiver at let's say ten with the Chicago Bears or twelve with the Dallas Cowboys, or whatever the case may be. I would strongly consider that one Travis Hunters makes it a little bit harder just because of the position. But I think you have to consider it as a team like the Patriots that have a lot of holes still.
Speaker 3: And again, there's future drafts, right, you have a future pick next year. You can still get back in the top five without having to actually have a record indicative of a top five pick. Right, you have all the same unition to move up and move around in a better draft. Like don't lose sight of that. There's more rounds beyond the first round this year, and there's more drafts beyond this draft two first round. I don't remember when was the last time the Patriots had two first round I guess would have been eighteen. That kind of blew that one. But before that, Chandler Jones, Dante high Tower, right, or you can move up and really shoot up the board there, maybe you push your chips a little more down the road. And now, dare I say we're talking about Jeremiah Smith, like, having two first round picks can be incredibly, incredibly valuable. Do not sleep on what that does for the long term outlook of the franchise. This is what we were talking about back before that Buffalo game, right, this is what I said about falling from one to four. I don't think it really impacts their offseason this year because if they're gonna take Carter at four, or they're gonna take Hunter at four, Like, if they're gonna take Carter Hunter at one, they still very well might have a shot to take that guy at four. The difference is you could say, well, if we move back to three, we'll still get one of those guys and we'll get a future first for next year. That's where winning that game against Buffalo changes things, is you lose that ability to pick up the future first. You still can maybe do that, but if you do it, you're punting on on Hunter Carter. So the other the Hunter and Carter.
Speaker 1: I should say really quickly about the draft capital that comes from that trade down. Don't sleep on the fact that you can trade those picks for a player that too. Right, Like, so let's say next offseason you can swing that big receiver trade with the.
Speaker 3: Extra draft cap and you still a first round picking.
Speaker 1: Right, So like that, I I look at it and not necessarily about being able to move the or on the board. I look at it as being able to move that pick for a veteran player.
Speaker 3: Flexibility. Yeah, it's all about flexibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I think you do have to think about it. Jeff is in Virginia, what's up?
Speaker 3: But it has to be a haul. You're not just trading Abdol Carter to move back to your spots and pick up a second Sorry first time, Jeff.
Speaker 13: You guys just talked about trading for players, and we keep talking about a stop gap at left tackle. Their chargers haven't extended later yet and they just drafted Joe All. Why are we not offering them a crap ton of picks for him. They moved all to left tackle, they draft a right tackle. We got our left tackle for the next five years, making my highest state guy. Do you guys think that would be a good option to just solve our left tackle issue? And what would you be willing to trade?
Speaker 5: Is it four?
Speaker 13: Is it thirty eight plus the future first?
Speaker 7: Is it the.
Speaker 13: Hugsl trade plus thum? Anyway, I'll take it off there, I.
Speaker 3: Think, thanks Jeff.
Speaker 1: Look, I would take Rashaan Slater in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. I don't think that's happened. No, They're they're gonna pay him. There's teams aren't like we just went through this right, and they might take it down to the wire like the Ravens did with Stanley team, especially a team like the Chargers that wants to play, that wants to win at the line of scrimmage above all else. They're not letting Rashaun Slater go. They're gonna pay him hypothetically, you know, can you fly, can you switch? Can you flip four for him? I'd probably do that outright. You know, would you trade your second, third and fourth round pick for him? I might do that. Hesitant I'd probably give a few future first. I'm kind of hesitant to trade future picks in this draft. I don't think you're gonna see a lot of future picks move because teams aren't gonna borrow from the future for weaker draft. But I just the Chargers are nuts if they trade later. Even getting a right tackle is hard enough. So even if you're gonna move alt Over, that still creates a major hole in a position that's tough to fill. You pay tackles, it's what you do. They took all those receivers off the books. They took a couple of their big paid defensive players off the books in Bosa and in mac Derwin. James is getting up there. They're gonna get out of that contract soon. A lot of their team's gonna be on rookie deals. Besides Herbert. They can pay, and they should pay Rashawn Slater.
Speaker 1: I don't see Jim Harbuch giving up his trenches. No, I don't see that. I don't necessarily think it would take four to get Rishawn Slater, just because we've seen a time and time again when a player needs to get paid, there's a tax in the trade for that. In the NFL, where you know, if the team that's acquiring that player that also needs to give him megan extension. We just saw this happen with DK Metcalf. I think you get a little bit less than what you would get normally if the player was under under contract for you know, a longer period of term. So I don't know if it would take four. I think the Larmie Tunnel trade is probably a framework of where play. Teams would probably start with Rashaun Slater, but I would love the player. I don't see the Chargers doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's happening.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's take this last call and then I want to get to one last thing here before we rap it. But Rio is in Texas?
Speaker 3: What's up? Ryo?
Speaker 8: Hey you guys, thanks taking my call. Uh So, I want to bring up a point and then ask the question. The point I want to bring up is as far as the two teams drafting head of the Patriots that potentially be looking at a quarterback, Arch Manning has to come into the conversation right as far as why they're not going to look at Jadar Standers because.
Speaker 3: Yes and no, it can be the prize yeah, I think another question.
Speaker 1: Oh do you have another question?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Okay, And my question is, as far as this draft goes, who's the prospect? Because I don't like the top of this drafts. I said that last week. I've kind of dubbed it like the Island of Misfit Toys. All these guys have problems. So who's the guy in later rounds of the draft, you know, after the first day you think has potentialed the the best player at his position in say three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good question to the first point. Thanks for the call, Reo. I don't know if we've seen enough of arch Manning for me to sit here in say.
Speaker 3: Arch Manning's Texas going with Quinn eyrs No, who's the elik uh? When he got hurt last year two years ago and they were making a playoff push when yours got hurt, they could have gone to Manning, and they went to some Malik Murphy instead, who was also a true freshman sore a freshman, so it was an experienced thing. Like they told you, they didn't think arch Manning was ready. That was two years ago. But I'm not as gaga over arch Manning as everybody else. It's also if we talked about this earlier, the Giants coaches, Brown's coaches that are betting on their jobs. It's tough to go to the owner and say, sorry, we went three and thirteen again, but arch Manning will be the ant, Like you can't.
Speaker 1: I just thought, an, I don't think we have enough film on arch Manning yet to say that he is. This is not underclassman Trevor Lawrence, underclassman Andrew Luck Like, this isn't one of those guys where you have a full season of tape out on him already, where we're sitting here and saying, you know, underclassman Caleb Williams, right, it wins the Heisman Trophy as a as a true sophomore, Like, we're not there yet. I don't think with arch Manning to his second question kind of segues into my last thing here that.
Speaker 3: I say, do you running backs count here? Because obviously they just don't go in first.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna segue into it, don't worry. So Alexander emailed it and he said that he loves the show, thank you, and loves the draft coverage, thank you. But the one thing that he says that he is missing is we haven't done recency.
Speaker 3: Bias in a while. We haven't.
Speaker 1: I know, we've had a lot of news and stuff like that to talk about, so we haven't done it. We only have seven minutes, but I wanted to do a little bit of recency bias. I have recently gone through the top fifteen running backs in this draft. I want to say consensus right. You know, I always put the consensus board up and go right down the consensus board, so I have a pretty good feel at least the of the of the top in the middle of this running back class. If I had the guest to answer Rio's question, who would be the best player available to on Day two or who could be the eventual best player, I think it will be a running back.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And there's a couple of guys that I particularly enjoyed watching that we can get to here in terms of recency bias. But would you would you agree with that it's either going to be a pass rusher it's going to be a running back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's the two best positions in this in this draft. Maybe a safety like if mccouba falls, maybe safety.
Speaker 1: But all right, so let's get to some of the running backs here. For the last seven minutes a little bit of recency bias. So I'll just read off my top five that I have this pretty pretty locked in now if good about it. I went pretty consensus at the top Ashton denty one, Lamar and Hampton too. But I didn't Hampton's interesting though, like he's I think Hampton teams are gonna love him because he's just well rounded and he projects to have a high volume role. I didn't think that he was super dynamic like in the open field, like he's more of like a power back, you know, between the tackles. But there's such a nice role projection for him, of of a floor of what he could be. So gent Hampton one two. I had Trayvon Henderson at three and Quinn Shawn Jenkins at four. I know you, I.
Speaker 3: Believe at least. Yeah, like it close.
Speaker 1: You flipped those two. A lot of people flip those two.
Speaker 3: It's it's a flavor thing. Like I think Judkins is more of like a home run hitter. Henderson's more of like a well rounded You're gonna give him more of a volume role, I.
Speaker 1: Think, so Judkins, Uh, I think he runs angrier like he runs.
Speaker 3: So it was bigger.
Speaker 1: He runs with a little bit more power and a little bit more finish to his game. But the reason why I like Henderson a little bit better is a little looser. He moves a little bit smoother. He's a little bit more explosive. If you ask me, I got a little bit more top end speed. I don't think that he's as good. He's probably like you know, we always talk about tears like day one version, Day two version, Trayvon Henderson reminds me a little bit of Jamier Gibbs, like I would say Day two Jamier Gibbs. Okay, not quite as good as Gibbs, but in terms of the big playability and the explosiveness both as a pass catcher and a running back, you know, as a ballcarrier. That's how he reminds me. I think Judkins is more linear, like he's a little bit more of a stiffer athlete that's going to get downhill and run people over with speed to power, whereas I think Henderson's loose, like Henderson's a I think.
Speaker 3: You're rating underrating judkins agility a little bit. But yeah, Henderson's better in that regard, So.
Speaker 1: Gent Hampton Henderson, Judkins so I think that's the clear top four in some order for pretty much everybody.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think some Pece people have Caleb Johnson up there. There's some people that really like Caleb Johnson.
Speaker 1: So I had Dylan Samson from Tennessee next. I love Dylan Samson. I think that guy's a baller. Uh Again, I think you can tell I kind of have a type as in the same with receivers he.
Speaker 3: Met with Patriots.
Speaker 1: By the way, I like explosive guys. I like guys that can cut and go. I like guys that I can hit big plays. The difference that I saw was Samson and Johnson. I thought Samson was much better between the tackles in terms of, you know, vision and in elusiveness and jump cut ability between the tackles. He's one of those guys that can snake through the line of scrimmage and then the hit the ground running once he gets to.
Speaker 3: Day also running into a lot of like five six man boxes with Tennessee's offense.
Speaker 1: That's fair, but I just saw a little bit more of that efficiency. You know, let's get on a track, let's jump cut out of attack.
Speaker 3: He's definitely looser.
Speaker 1: With Caleb Johnson, Caleb Johnson, DeMarco Murray two point zero right, like he's he's one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Marco Murray is.
Speaker 1: Off tackle, toss, stretch, runs really high, runs too high probably, but like it makes it work. And when you get him out into runways and into space, he's he's off to the races, right like that's that's his game. He's a zone runner. He's very good at it. But to me, what I saw with Caleb Johnson was a lot of runs in space, you know, like you're just tossing it out to him or you're getting him off out on the edge. Those guys worry me a little bit just projecting to the NFL, because you don't there's a lot more condensed space once you get to the league than when there is.
Speaker 3: You can't run to the wide hash and get you know, outside right.
Speaker 1: Whereas with Samson, I saw a little bit more of that make miss talent in trash like in the middle of the field, which I liked a little bit better. But I think Caleb Johnson is a good player too. I think I texted, so did you have him five? Or had I had him six? So I have genty Hampton Henderson, Judkins, Samson, in Johnson, lots of names, and then I have Devin Neil from Wow. Okay, I'll get to Scattabo in a second. I know we gotta go quickly here though.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really just like Devin Neil's game for the NFL again, same kind of thing. Great contact balance, great power behind his pads. Great he's gonna be able to handle a high volume between the tackles. He's going to be an early down work course for a team in the NFL. I just think that he really translates nicely to a high volume role. Cam Skataboo. My concern with Cam He's next Cam Skataboo. My concern with him is kind of couple together playing style of shelf life, right, Like is he going to be a bowling ball like that at the NFL level and be breaking tackles like he was doing at the college level. And if he does wear contact and have to break tackles like that at the NFL level, Like, how long is that gonna last?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, he can't play like that forever.
Speaker 3: I think he can. I mean, I think he can be a contributor. I just don't know, like contact decide he's kind of maxed out physically. Yeah, because he's an older prospect, he's a spellback. I keep going back, like, isn't he kind of just a more physical Rex ber Khead Because he can catch. That's the most underrated part of his game. Like, he can play in the passing game, so he's gonna be able to split between that early down and passing down role. But he brings an edge. I know it's a lazy comp but I think he's like a more physical I've compared a bunch of backs in this draft to Rex per Kid, So I just look very very there's a lot of backs in this draft that are well rounded, that do everything well.
Speaker 1: If you put Skataboo in a vacuum and you just say grade this player based off the tape, he would be much higher than this on my list. He'd probably be, uh, you know, RB five on this list. I just look at it though when you project it into the NFL, Like, what how much shelf life and longevity is he going to have playing like that? Is his top end speed and all that stuff going to be a factor, Like he doesn't really get away from anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a spellback that's not a guy that you're I just I worry for big explosive runs really quickly.
Speaker 1: Really liked RJ. Harvey from UCF as well. Another one kind of similar to Samson, Like you're kind of a mid late day two, mid day three Sampson, Right, you know, a guy that can really scoot and really make guys miss.
Speaker 3: Good class.
Speaker 1: I had thirteen guys in this class with a higher grade than anybody last year. My highest graded running back last year is Blake Krum. I have thirteen guys and a good draft, so very good class at running back. So that's a little recency buyas for you on the running backs doing tight ends today as well, right now, finishing those guys up. I did like Harold Fan in a lot.
Speaker 3: I did like, I don't know how I feel about Harrold Fan.
Speaker 1: Is a weird, weird player, Like he's got you know, six three two forty obviously played at Bowling Green. That's Mac.
Speaker 3: That is the Mac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he did he had great tape against Penn State, so it's not like he just did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as he reminds me a lot of Johnny Smith. Yeah, and I just it's we saw what Johnny Smith did in Josh McDaniel's.
Speaker 1: Offense, it's important to have when you're on the road with Bridgestone tires on your car, truck, suv, or minigan. You are riding on your tires you can trust. Bridgetone tires are engineered to give you peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the journey. So whether you're on your morning commute, across country road trip, or a relaxing Sunday drive, Bridgetone Tires will be with you wherever life's roads may lead. Bridgetone sol Listens for your journey. Available now. It's all of and tire. That was a fun one. We appreciate everybody calling and email and emailing in tons of calls and emails. We tried to get to as many as we could. Stefon Diggs is reportedly a Patriot. That was an exciting show. We'll be back next week and I'm sure we'll talk a lot more about the draft and Pro days as we You're up here inside of a month until the draft, so thanks so much for watching and listening. For Alex Barth, I'm Evan Lazar. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 5: Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast right so new listeners can find us. Be sure to Checkpatriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.