Speaker 1: Ravvy.
Speaker 2: Good to see again, buddy.
Speaker 3: You two buddy you ready, how you feeling good?
Speaker 2: Feeling great? Man, We're off to a great start. I'm excited to talk to coach Slosnagel to night and fired up to go through a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff on his plate right now too, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: So, Coach Losgel, I mean this time of the year, as you know justin this is all about this is all about college baseball. I mean, that's kind of the lane we're in here. We're about to start regionals. The conference tournaments are over, the regular season is over, and now we're going to get into the regionals. You got sixteen different regions, each with four teams. This is our bracket of sixty four. You got the top ranked team that's been the top ranked team all year long, and UCLA, and then you got the others that follow You have Georgia who I just saw at who for Alabama. It was an amazing experience and a real credit to the way that they were able to play. You've got coach los Nagels Longhorns that are amongst the favorites, not the favorite, to get to Omah this year and play in the College World Series. So it's a really exciting time. He's very familiar with getting to Omaha. He did a whole bunch with TCU. I think it's seven times that he's been to Omaha. Of course was there last year with Texas A and M. But for baseball fans, there's two things going on right now, the Women's College World Series and again fundamentally, it's like watching the women's college basketball teams. You can learn a ton regardless if you're playing baseball or softball, from the way that the women play softball the way that the women play basketball. So there's two really good things that are happening right now. It's the Women's College World Series and of course the Regionals, then the Super Regionals and then the men's College World Series. But I think it's great, and you know, I understand that it's an opportunity for us to coach to talk to coach loss and it's an opportunity for our teammates to get the questions in as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you're if you're watching, feel free to throw questions in the chat tonight on YouTube. You may need to, or you do need to sign up free account if you don't have one. Uh, it's very quick. Just take five, five ten seconds to do that. Ask your questions and you get a shot to ask anything you want. And that's that's what's amazing about you know, the experience up to to this point, and the unique part of UH from the dugout right rabbi and and a lot to talk about with the regionals. Man, this is UH, this is this is one of my favorite weeks of the year. Man, it's it's such a fun week. If you have never experienced a regional, it's one of the it's one of the best experiences as a sports fan, let alone a baseball fan that you can It's it's intense. Every game matters, every pitch seems to matter. The the intensity and and as you kind of start talking to coaches, which is which is something I do all the time. Uh, it is so hard to get out of a regional because you have to be the best of four and when you get to super that's really hard to which I'm excited to talk to coach tonight about.
Speaker 1: But it's really hard as well.
Speaker 2: But you just have to beat one team twice and so sometimes getting through that regional can be extremely difficult or you know, you get a team that's been seated a little lower than you know, you maybe think they should have, and they're coming in with forty three wins and as a as a four seat, you know, and so it's just not easy. And at this point, everybody's got a great arm. Usually there's there's good pens involved or great offenses. So it's just a fun time of year, Rabby, It's one of my favorite weekends of the year is the NCAA Baseball Regionals.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the other thing that happens is and I'll share some stories from Hoover, Alabama, which I honestly I'd never been there. This was the first year they got a chance to go to the SEC tournament. It is a special place, and I'm in Alabama a lot during the winter. I drive from Atlanta or Birmingham to touch GALOOSU to call Alabama basketball games for the SEC and other areas around there. Hoover, Alabama is a really unique place. I mean, there's a part of it that almost looks like it's a Disney World. Every home is gorgeous, the facility the baseball field is incredible. Short of the weather being a little bit unpredictable, and it was again this week. It's as neat and as nice and as inviting as you can find for a college basketball baseball facility. The games were competitive, Georgia ended up winning this thing. And to your point, every team's got good arms, every team has superstars, and every team's going to need one or two guys to step up and maybe, you know, OutKick themselves a little bit or play over their skis a little bit. And this weekend it wasn't Daniel Jones who was the MVP. It was Kenny Ishikawa who impressed the heck out of me with his back to ball skills. He was in the middle of everything, and on a team that's loaded with superstar players. He's a really real, really good player. But you would circle other people. And if you're gonna go through the regionals, through the Supers and through Omaha, you're gonna need you're gonna need the sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth guys to contribute as well. And nobody knows that better than our guest coach, Jim Schlosnaga. You want to welcome in the coach there. He is man coach loss. Thanks so much for joining us here on dirt from the dugout. We appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, honored to be here. Thanks for having me on. Been following what you guys have been doing and putting out great podcast content and everything. So looking forward to hanging with you guys tonight.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that. So was that a fact? I mean, you're gonna you're gonna need everybody, right, I mean this is not just Dylan Valantis and where we're good or Mendoza. We're gonna need and every team through the course of these rounds. You're gonna need some some guys to step up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think, uh, in any tournament format, especially the regional, it's a it's a four team to ornament. You can win in three games. You can lose it too, or I've been a part of them where you lose the first game and have to win four or five games. So the depth of your pitching certainly gets tested. But you need your best players to play well, and then you need those supporting cast players to execute when they're asked to. And you know, the super Regional, if you're able to make that, it's it's the best two out of three, So you don't go as deep into your pitching normally, but then when you get to Omaha, especially now since it's a condensed schedule over about ten days versus about used to be two weeks, your pitching depth can get tested a lot there too, So it takes the entire team.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a great night. Get your questions in and you're looking at the head coach of the University of Texas. That's Jim Schlosnegel. He's had an incredible resume, he's had an incredible run. He's on his way to the Hall of Fame for sure, at least in my opinion, between when it get at Texas A and M when he did at TCU. But let's just roll the tape back a little bit. Coach here for people who are watching, and our live show is really designed for parents of players, young players, high schoolers, college players. You know you got into this game, but it was other sports that you were playing, and finally you focused in on baseball in a short way. If you can't, how did we get from where you were as a ten year old to where you are now.
Speaker 1: Well, I grew up in western Maryland and in those days you played football in the fall, basketball in the winter baseball in the spring and some legion baseball in the summer, and then started it all over again with summer basketball and football camp. And so I did that all the way through high school. Baseball was not my favorite sport. I was actually a bigger college basketball fan than anything, but baseball was the thing I had a chance to play at least a little bit. In college. I went to Elon, a little school in North Carolina and it's in AI school. When I was there, it's now Division I school. And in my sophomore year, college coach called me in and I was a journalism major. I was actually hoping to become like Carl Ravich and be a journalist of some kind. And my college coach said, hey, I think you'd make a good coach. You need to think about changing your major, and long story short, I did and got super fortunate. I was a student assistant coach my last couple of years of college, and then got super lucky in nineteen the summer of nineteen ninety two and got a job at Clemson University as a volunteer coach at twenty two and that got my college career started. But it just tells you about the impact of a coach, right, And I looked up to my college coach so much that he taught you know, he saw something in me that made me change a career path and it turned out pretty good.
Speaker 3: All right, So justin I know you want to get in here, just let me follow up on that. I think it's a really interesting point for parents and for coaches. Is you had a coach who was willing to have a hard conversation with you, who put it out there and said it may be time to think about something else. You then learn from that you certainly had to have hard conversations. Is there some kind of guideline that you can give to either parents or coaches who have to deliver the tough message and on the other side, how you learn to deal with receiving a tough message.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think one of the greatest traits I think a person can have, and I always tell our players one of the greatest one of the common traits of all the great players that I've coached is awareness. Like they're self aware. They have a good combination of confidence, but they're also they have humility. They're humble enough to be coached. They're humble enough to be told you know, what they need to do to get better or where they stand. And even at that age, I was I mean, all I had to do was look around and see my talent level as a player compared to you know, an NAI World Series team, which is what I was a part of, and and it was pretty aware. I was pretty self aware that I wasn't going to be playing in the major leagues and maybe get to play a little bit in college. But my college coach called me in and said, you can keep doing this or you can really get a jump start on the rest of your life, which is which was going to be coaching. And so I learned a lot from that. And certainly as a leader in anything you have to have, you want to tell people the truth. Certainly you want them to you want to do it in the right way, and you want them to know that you care. So that way, when they received that message, even though it might be tough for them to hear in the short term, they know that you have their best interest at heart. And so it's definitely a moment that I remember, and I remember where I was standing when he told me that, and I try to keep that in mind. You know when I have to deliver. I don't know if it's tough news, but just reality. You know, have real conversations with a player, and I think if you're not telling them the truth, then you're leading them down a path it's not reality. And I think young people can handle it, you know, I truly believe that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it's awesome, awesome feedback there, Jim. And one thing I want to kind of get into is you've been able to sustain the success, which I think has been one of the most challenging things, as you know better than anyone for any coach, right and all the coaches that I talked to, there's so much change that's happened in the NCAA in the last let's just say, ten years. But you've been able to adapt to that. And if we're being honest, there are some coaches that have struggled to adapt to that. You know, historically great coaches that have really struggled in that transition. What have you done to win throughout all the years and all the change that we've seen, and it just seems like you just don't skip a beat man, Well.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you saying that. I mean I've obviously I've had been fortunate enough to work at great places with athletic directors that at they reward success. So as we've gotten better as a program, whether it be U NLV or TCU or A and M, and certainly now Texas, you know, you're you're able to work with people that wanting, that want that want to keep moving forward. I would say, for me, I'm a pretty boring guy. I don't play golf, you know, I like to fish every now and then, might be two or three times a year. Baseball is I mean, this is a lifestyle for me. This is not a profession. This is a lifestyle. And so, uh, you know, college baseball and baseball in general, and youth baseball, I'm a big fan of it. So and I'm also you know, I'm on the board of our American Baseball Coaches Association, so I get to be a part of some really cool conversations about moving our game forward. And I mean adapt or die, right, I mean, you better if you don't like it, then you better choose something else. And so you know, I don't have to always agree with the way things have changed in college baseball, but if you want to keep coaching, especially in the Southeastern Conference, then you better be adapting. And what is it? You know, don't hate the player, hate the game and against some of the parts of college athletics we can't control right now, but you just have to deal with it. And I do think at the end of the day, this is still about character and leadership development through the sport of baseball. That's really what I see my job as. Yes, we have to win, but if I can get super talented young people to all move in the right direction and become a great teammate and be supportive and play for the team even though there's all kinds of outside distractions, then we're going to have success. And that's really what my focus is is keeping the whole battleship moving forward.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the whole, that's the pat riley. You know, it's definitely not about me. It's about we and the disease of me and all the those things. It's that's a very very important point here. Uh, we have questions here that we're going to get to. But three things that you said that triggered the thought and memory of mine. A and news director in Binghamton, New York told me that I was not going to be the weekday sports guy. So rather than just quitting or changing my major, I sort of took a screw that mentality and and plowed ahead. That was one thing I had a father who told me, Yeah, since you didn't get that job, maybe you want to try something else. I wasn't quite ready to do that, but you did say. And this is a question we got from somebody here. He said, what did you change your major?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 3: You know, you you you, you decided to get out of it. What did you change it to?
Speaker 1: I changed it to education because I was completely planning on being a high school coach, you know, I I you know, so I need to get my teaching certification. So I actually did my in the spring of my senior year. I did my student teaching six weeks in kindergarten. Uh yeah, Utah kindergarten. What's that? Utah kindergarten, kindergarten, physical education, kindergarten. Pe I did for six weeks. And what are we doing a high school? High school teacher or kindergarten? I take kindergarten every day. Really, high school was a lot more challenging, but and I was playing on I was headed back to I graduated. I was going to go back to Elon and do my grad school, but I got super lucky working a camp at Clemson in the summer of ninety two and a bunch of inc double A rules changed and they created this thing called a volunteer coach, and so I was a volunteer coach in the very first year of volunteer coaches, which, as you know, RAVI, they had that in college basketball too. You had restricted earnings coaches and you had volunteer coaches. So that's how I got started.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no earnings. Well, I just I'm curious. Kindergarten, what are we teaching the kids? Are we doing summersaults? Are we doing push ups? What are running around? What are we doing?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what a curriculum was back then, but yeah, I mean you're you're getting kids moving like they playing kickball and uh you know, yeah, gymnastics I don't remember, but.
Speaker 3: Game of tag whatever, it is, just just burn energy, just get it, get it moving around.
Speaker 1: Even active. I mean, do they even still have physical education in in uh middle school and high school? Now?
Speaker 3: Can I just presidential with the Presidential Physical Fitness Award? Did you do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: That I remember. I don't know. I don't know that happens.
Speaker 2: I could never get said in each man sad and reach killed me on that.
Speaker 3: Climb the road right, no chance. I never got the leg thing correct. I couldn't wrap the legs around. Look, we digress. Uh, here's a good question for you. And this this applies to every level. It comes from Mark. He says, what's the most underrated trait in a player that he never shows up on a stat sheet? Good question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, you know, their ability to handle adversity. You know, I mean just, I mean without question. You know when you Rabi, you've seen. We have a kid on our team named Anthony Pack who was the you know, he's the SEC freshman of the year. He'll be in the conversation for the National Freshman of the Year. And he's just And it comes from, I guess, the way most kids are raised. And he has two great parents. The way Anthony walks in the building, the way he walked in the building the first day he was able to take coaching, he had a ton of failure until you know, Troy Tilwhiskey, our hitting coach, really found a good you know, kind of hitting move for him to be able to execute to have more success, and then his ability to navigate through the Southeastern Conference and the expectations and playing at Texas, which is a lot for these kids. I would say, I would say that, you know, that's that's really going to define any baseball player, you know, especially a hitter, is your ability to move on to the next day, whether you've had a good day or a bad day. And I think that's you know, for for parents out there, it's okay for them to have a bad game, like, uh, you know, it's okay for them to go over four. You know, maybe they went over four because they hammered the ball four times and went at somebody. But I think letting not it's not it's allowing them to process the failure or the adversity, uh, and see the opportunity in the in the adversity is such a great parenting skill. We all don't hate to see our children hurt. I have a son and a daughter. But at the same time, we all know, no matter what they choose to get into, whether it's sports or whatever other business, the most successful people are the ones that fight through the failure. I mean, I've screwed up so much as a college coach. I mean I've had success because I've screw and learned prof you know, and I think that's the case for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, what do you do to I mean, obviously the SEC is it's you know, kind of its own level now right, It's just so challenging. What do you do to get your guys ready mentally? You know, physically obviously we can kind of talk about that all day long too, but you just kind of hit on it. Just the mental challenges that that comes with, right of coming in and performing in that those environments, and when you start to struggle, you know, there's a lot of chatter now right. You have social media. There's more coverage in college baseball than ever, so they hear it now right. There's there's just a lot of stuff coming at them. What do you do away from the field, away from the games, I should say, to mentally prepare your guys for the big moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is this is certainly a topic that I love. I really think it's a secret to the success of our program. Since two thousand and six, I've worked with a guy named Brian Kane, who's now blown up and works with about twenty five or thirty major league players. He studied under Ken Ravisa, kind of one of the godfathers of the mental game of baseball. And it's really at the at the foundation of our program and from the from the very first day our kids get on campus. We talk about routines, both your daily routine and then also your you know, your your routine during you're at bat and you can't control where you know, you can't control once you've hit the ball, you can't control where it goes. There's so much luck involved in baseball, but you can control yourself, right. So the basic premise of what we talk about is you cannot be in control of your performance until you're in control of yourself. And so how do you do that? Well, you have a consistent routine that involves a big breath, right and what we call focal point. We don't need to go too far down that, but we practice and we do that all the time so that when you get in these moments, whether it be a regional this weekend, the SEC tournament, or Omaha, it's still the same game. It's the environment that's changed. So in your ability to catch your breath and keep your heart rate under control is gonna give you the best chance for success. We've all seen players that are awesome during batting practice, but when the game starts, like man, the game really speeds up on them. And then you see other players that man, they just seemed to like Anthony Pack, they just always seem to be in control and the game never gets away from them. Well, that's a skill that is actually a skill you can practice, and we practice it all the time. And so when we get to those moments there is we don't use the word step up in our program. You revert to your training. And so if you've done the same thing all the time, when you get in these moments, what do you do? You just do what you've always done. Right, Maybe that breath is a little bigger, Maybe you take a little extra second to try to get your you know, to slow the game down and get your heart rate under control. But but you have to practice that all year, and we do that from the very very first day of fall practice hopefully all the way through Omaha.
Speaker 3: So people that are going to watch the Longhorns play and they're going to see them when they get two strikes they tap their chest, so to me, that indicates they recognize they're in this moment. They look back to the bench. What will the people who watch the Longhorns play during the regionals then Supers and hopefully at Omaha. What what is it? What is that doing? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, first of all, you know, we want to have we don't want to have a Bush League dug out, but we want to have a dugout with some energy. We want to have a dugout. We call it dugout intent. Right, So you're if you're on the if you're on the bench, or you're up on the top you're up on the top rail and what we call it is spotting. So if you're if I'm trying to bench, you know, if my max bench is two hundred and fifty pounds, which is not, but if it was, you know, if I'm trying to get two fifty off the bar and I'm lifting by myself, that's gonna be really tough. But if I have my whole team around me, if I have the whole team cheering me on and I can feel that energy, then I have a better chance to move that weight. Well, that's really what you see. And we aren't the only team that does that. I don't know why the other teams do it. But it's also just representing, hey, I'm in a two strike count. I'm going to go win this pitch and you guys with are you guys with me? Yeah, we're with you. And so it's really team based and we just actually start. We didn't do it last year, but one of our goals off of our team last year was to try and one of two Low's goals for our hitters was to cut our strikeouts down by one hundred, which sounds like a lot to start the season, but it's actually when you play fifty plus games, it's only two a game, and I think we're close to doing that. And that was just kind of a physical act that we wanted to put in the program that that would bring awareness to the situation that hey, I'm going to be really fighting here with two strikes and I need you guys behind me.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's really cool. You know that's that's spoken like a football guy right there. I mean I wanted to That made me want to put pads on and go play for everybody else, I'm curious with your experience in playing the other sports. I don't know if you've coached any of them at any level, but there are there are similarities, and there probably are subtle, if not significant, differences between coaching a basketball player, a football player, and a baseball player. How do you get the most out of for the purposes of our dirt from the Dugout Live show here, the most out of a baseball player at any age? How do you get the most out of them?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean baseball. Well, first of all, I'm a fan of playing all the sports. I mean, play all the sports for as long as you can play them. I think it's there's a noticeable difference. I love coaching kids that played high school football, basketball too, but specifically football because there's so many practices and so few games. And in youth baseball today, there's so many games and so few practices. You know, a kid may take a lesson, but they don't have they don't they don't practice baseball that much. They they may take batting practice, but in terms of actually playing, practicing the actual game game, situational baseball, what we would call winning baseball. You know what, what what I would do? Your your question was about developing a baseball player. It's it's teaching them more than just the skill of the game. It's how is the game played? How can you best help your team win? Which isn't always going to be hitting a home run right, It may be moving a runner is throwing the ball to the right base. And I think young young players today, I think the players today, they're the most talented players that we've ever seen. It's you know, and that's all the way to the SEC especially with a shrunken draft. This is the golden age of college baseball. I think it's the golden age of youth baseball in terms of the talent of the player. But the skill like talent is something that you have and you're blessed with the skill of the players are is very much behind where it used to be. And I don't want to sound like the old guy that's you know, you know, moaning in the corner, but it's just learned. When our players come to the to Texas and let's say it's Anthony packin left field and there's a ground ball hit the left a single hit the left field, there's a runner at second base, Well, you don't always throw it home, like you know, so many things have to be in order for you to throw the ball to the lead base. Most of the time the best thing to do is throw at to second base to keep the batter runner off second base. So just little things like that that really help that we kind of pride our program in is playing good, sound, clean, fundamental baseball, or at least trying to. That's where coaches today could really help young players develop just the skills to help win the game.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Jim, when we're talking about that, you're talking about player development, right I mean, there's player development, and we you know that's kind of a hot term right now. Is everybody's talking about player development, and you know, we can talk about that and its own subject sometime. But you know, when you talk about individual development, Adam has a great question here. So as a coach, how do you balance individual player development with making decisions that are best for the team to win.
Speaker 1: Well, you're constantly doing both. You know. One a phrase we use in our program is we call it you got star in your role man, Like you have to work while you wait everybody's And that's one thing I love about all the other playing and all the other sports is I think it's valuable. Let's say you're the best baseball player on your fourteen and under team, Well, it's okay for you not to not be the best basketball player on your basketball team, because then you learn how to be a good teammate. You're not the best player, maybe even you're maybe even you're coming off the bench, will you learn you learn how to do that because you're probably not always going to be the best baseball player on your team. So the first thing you got to do is teach. You know, guys have to learn to star in their role until it's their time and you still have value. You still bring value to the team. But depending on what level of baseball you're at. You know, I do think winning is important and teaching young players how to win a game and how to learn from a loss. You know, it doesn't have it's not necessarily a failure. It's it's a learning opportunity. And so for us, you know, the freshman on our team who may have ten at bats, I mean, we still we're coaching the heck out of him every day. And let's say he's a catcher. And when we have a catcher that could go maybe in the first couple of rounds Carson Tinny. When Carson Tinny leaves, then there's going to be a void there and the opportunity for somebody to step in and play. And if he goes down, we certainly need somebody ready to play, you know, right now. So you have to do both. But the kids have to feel that if if the coach is only working with the best players, then the guys not going to the other players aren't going to feel the value. So you know, the coach has to be all in on coaching everybody. But you still got to win the games, and you win, you get to you earn your right to play. I mean, one thing we prout, we pride ourselves on is I don't care what your scholarship is. I don't care what your nil deal is. None of that stuff means anything when I write a lineup, you know, I have to write a lineup that gives Texas Longhorns the best chance to win on that particular day. And we've had guys on big scholarships not play and watch guys who were walk on all the way to Omaha.
Speaker 3: So valuable. So you brought up this question about a wonderful to hear that you believe we're in the golden age of college baseball and youth baseball. Thank you very much for saying that. But as far as development goes, what what would you tell the coaches of the youth baseball players are the most important things they can do to get them to be ready to play junior high, high school, college. Because it's a it's we see it every night, Jim he used to drive us crazy on Baseball Tonight and every other show I saw Aaron Judge do it tonight. Why the trail runner thinks it's okay to get thrown out when he's not inducing a throw to a base We are literally giving up outs. I have a hard time with that. When we could extend this inning, I'll get off the you know, the pedestal here and allow you to answer the question.
Speaker 1: No, that's That's exactly what I'm talking about. And I think I never spent a day in Pro Bowl, certainly not the Major League, so I can't speak to that as much. I can only speak from my perspective is young players need practice. That's what I'm talking about. For a for you know, how often does Aaron Judge work on base running since spring training? I mean, I mean, I'm not calling out Aaron Judge, but you know, young players in college players, they need practice. And when you're practicing, it can't just be batting practice, right, I'm just envisioning being a thirteen U coach or whatever. Every kid on my team is probably going somewhere to get lessons, right, They're probably have their own hitting coach. So when they come to you, guess what, they don't need to practice. They don't need to practice city, they don't. They don't need to You don't need to take batting practice. What you need to do is situational baseball. You know, put a runner at second base with the fung go and hit the ball left field and teach them, hey, where where does the ball go and why, like and if and if the guy If the guy does airon mall at the home plate, well then yeah, the batter runner can get the second base. But if it was a three to two count and two outs and the ball trickled through the sixth hole, well that guy's going to walk home. You don't need to try to draw a throw at a second base because he's going to be able to score easily because the count and the outs and how hard the ball is hit matters. So just that's what now to do that you really got to study baseball. Let me preface all this by saying the most important job of a youth coach is to make sure the kids enjoy baseball and enjoy they have to learn what helps a team win, because if they put all of their value in hitting and you if they you know, no disrespect to soccer, but when the soccer game's over, when a kid gets in the car, what do they say, I kicked it four times? I mean, that's it, you know. I mean in baseball, you have to deal with an zero for four, You have to deal with striking out, you have to deal with making a really good pitch and the ball falls in for a hit. So I think a youth coach needs to a make sure kids have fun and understand what winning baseball is, and then teach them good situational baseball.
Speaker 3: Right. I love that, I really do, and I think it's so important. Your buddy, my friend show Walter all what he does all the time. One of the things he does a million but one of the things he does is he watches the off ball activity of all the players I know that the left fielder is throwing it to second base. I want to see where the right fielder is, what my catcher's doing, where the first basement is going. It's just a valuable lesson, I think, and I know you know that that a guy like Show Walter can give about teaching the game, not just the play, but the game. And you know you've brought up so many great points. I'm delighted to know that you're a fan of other sports. I know that you are. You know you're a diehard Texas football guy. You've got a huge season coming up, which brings us to this concept about going to see events. This is the regionals, they're great, supers are great. Playoffs are going on. Jimmy and I just wanted to share with everybody a video seat Geek. Shout out to those folks that have over thirty five million downloads. It's the number one rated ticketing app out there. Ty thousand events are listed on seat Geek. You can watch concerts, you could watch baseball, you could watch basketball, you could watch hockey. To me, Victim Webinanna is about to become what Larry Bird and Magic and Michael and Lebron were. He'll own the sport of the NBA for a long time, and what do we have for you here? You can use the code Territory ten and get ten percent off your next set of tickets at seat Geek. Ten percent off any tickets with the promo code Terrytory ten. Show the app on your phone you're scrolling through it. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later. It is all about seat geek and use that code Territory ten for ten percent off tickets on seak g. That is our code. Ten percent off your next seat Geek order slas. If you were to watch one sporting event or go and attend one sporting event that you haven't done yet, what would it be.
Speaker 1: Ooh that I haven't done yet? Oh man, you had? I was all teed up for the great college football games I get to see. Uh yeah, I mean I haven't been. I haven't been to an NBA final. I haven't been to a Final four because it's you know, it's always during it's always during college baseball season. Final four. Yeah, final four. I've never been to a final four.
Speaker 3: I can feel that I've been. I've been a few. It's it's pretty special. Although it's remarkable what TV has done. TV has rendered being in person in many I'd say, with the exception of hockey, I think hockey in person is the greatest sport that there is out there. But yeah, final fours are really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm a huge college basketball fan. I grew up. I'm a big NBA fan, but I haven't carried that on the rest of my life. But college college football getting the coach at TC, TCU and A and M and now Texas, like, that's I don't we don't ever practice on Saturdays, uh in the fall, and it's mainly because I'm not missing any college.
Speaker 2: From exactly good for good Yeah yeah, yeah, that's great, man, that's great. And so I guess as we kind of like dive into some more of these questions here, Jim, there's just been some really good questions here from some of the some of the people watching. Melanie asks when the cameras are off, as we kind of shift back to baseball and the coaching side of it, when the cameras are off and nobody's watching, what behaviors tell you a player is built differently.
Speaker 1: Question know, just how yeah, just how they go about their business on a daily basis, right, You know, true test of a man's character is how he conducts himself when he believe no one's watching, right, And so you get to see these kids every day and how much you know their attention to detail on time is late, right, they're they're they're prompt or else we'll you know, we'll handle that as a program. But uh, the guys that are just so consistent with their teams and that everything matters to them, you know. And when I said that this is the Golden ass of college baseball, that's what I meant. The flip side of that is, the margin between being either a good team or a bad team is thin. Being a good player or a guy that plays or doesn't player is super thin. And so what most baseball players and athletes in general, but especially baseball players are looking for is consistency on the field. Well, you're never going to find consistency on the field if you're inconsistent away from the field, especially when the talent level becomes super equal, which it is in the SEC. And so that's really what my job is is if I can get the very most talented players in the country that we are so fortunate to get to recruit and coach at a place like Texas, it's like your parents being a parent. If I can just get them to make the right choices right away from the field, what they're doing at night, what they're doing in the morning. Are they staying on top of their hydration and recovery and nutrition and academics. Well, then if they do all that stuff, we're going to be fine on the baseball field, right. I mean, the baseball gods may get us one year or one game or one bounce, but it's really just the consistency and their life skills away from the field.
Speaker 3: Coach, I've been to some amazing college environments. I'm lucky enough to go to Omaha every year, and we know what that's like. Hoover was a phenomenal environment. It hadn't been how important We got a question from somebody else, how important is it given these home field advantages? How important was it to be in a position to host a regional this postseason? What comes with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's huge. I mean, you know, just the opportunity to sleep in your own bed, to be on your own field, to be in your own dugout, just going back to routine everything. The more you can make it consistent like it has been over the course of the season in our park obviously our own fans, that's huge, you know, it's it's definitely an advantage, There's no doubt about it. That's why, I mean, I don't know what the what the stats are now, but it used to be close to three quarters of the host schools would you know, would be advancing to Omaha. So now it's also if you're the better if you get to host because you're one of the better teams, so you have a good team as well. But as we saw last year. Last year we were a national seat and we got beaten our own regional UTSA Texas San Antonio. They won our regional and went to UCLA for the super regional. So it doesn't guarantee anything, but it's certainly it's nice to be at home. You don't have to travel, you can just stay in your own routine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you brought up the name Troy Tchulwiski justin let me just get data, and that you got you had you surround yourself with great coaches, Tulowitzki, Max Wiener, Nolan Kine. Uh, you know you're talking to now parents, coaches, little league, junior, high school, whatever they may be. How do you balance the the idea of being the man in charge with delegating responsibilities to people you know are qualified to do their jobs as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, once you hire someone who's super talented at what they do, then my job is it's just it's the same thing for as I do for a player. Is if I hire Troy Tulowitzki and we deem that obviously he was a great player, but he's a great coach. It's the fact that he was a great player is helpful, But at the end of the day, you still have to be a good coach. Players will see right through that if it's just because you were a great player. And so my job is to support too low and give him a platform that allows him to be successful as a coach. And I don't I have zero ego in this thing. I could care less who gets credit. Max Winger is awesome at coaching pitchers, and Nolan Kane's a great catching catching coach and an incredible third base coach and one of the best recruiters in the country, and so my job is to give those guys the space to be successful. And then for me, you know, whatever my role is, which you know, I run the offense. So I'm going to be given the signs from the dugout and you know, I'm going to make the ultimate decision on pitching changes and stuff like that. And of course my job is to oversee and run the entire entirety of the program at the University of Texas, which is a big, massive battleship. That's a big program.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, but you know, I've always had great coaching staff's at TCU, great staff at A and M. And you know, luckily, you know, I've build enough of a career to where I've gotten to places and worked with administrations that allow allow us to a hire the best people and be keep them and uh and if a guy moves on to be a head coach, that's great. We don't we celebrate that and then we'll just go hire the next great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Jim, you brought up Nolah Kane, And I think anytime you talk about a program and a success and the sustainability of winning, you always you always have to go down to recruiting a little bit, right, I mean, that's a big part of it. Nolan's a good friend of mine and obviously one of your key hires of yours, And I just want I'd like you to talk a little bit about building through recruiting and how important that is, how important that role is to nail on the right players, but the right people for the culture. I'd love you to just share a little bit more and give a little bit more insight to the to the people listening on all of that and how you know what what that entails of building that through who you're bringing in every year with this transactional baseball that we're basically in in college baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a huge question with a lot of a lot of answers. First of all, First of all, you have to be good enough, right, there's a base level of skill and talent, you know, to be a great NAI player, you have to be a certain level to play in the SEC. You have to first be good enough. So you have to have a guy like Nolan Kane who can identify talent and he's been doing that for SEC schools at LSU, Texas A and m and now Texas. He's been doing that for a really long time and he played at LSU won a national title in two thousand and nine, so he knows what they look like. That's the first thing. And then the second thing, you know is once you identify, okay, we know who the top eight shortstops in the country are, or the guys that you know we have a chance to get. Then you're you're talking to people that you've had, especially a guy like Nolan has had relationships with summer coaches or high school coaches or scouts or maybe an agent or someone that's connected to the family and the player that can tell us, you know, who is this person? You know what what are they like on their worst day, what are they like on their best day, what kind of how do they handle failure? What kind of teammate? Are they? Right? And we try to get out and see as much as we can, but as you said, all of this stuff happens really fast. And just because a guy comes on an official is it which we can learn some things there, but you know, the official visit is kind of like the first date, Like you're you're putting on your best shirt, You're going to act the best in front of your mom, right, And so you never really know until you coach somebody, which is why we try to talk to as many people surrounding the player as we possibly can. Some and I would tell the players out there or the parents, like even the people that you don't think are resources for us to evaluate your son or I guess for a female coach a daughter, we're gonna call them to you know, maybe an opposing coach and how did he act? You know that that kind of thing. We you know, we can't miss on these things because you know, there's a lot of money at the end of it in terms of at the University of Texas, we have to win. So and how do you win when you win with good, good people who also happen to be super talented. So you got to be a good guy first, and then we'll figure out the baseball leader.
Speaker 3: What what drives Jim Schlosnagel. You know, you you mentioned comfort. You could have stayed at TCU. Heck, you could have stayed at UNLV. It's sensily warm out there, and you like being in a Like what what drives you?
Speaker 1: Well? Uh, I'm I'm a very competitive guy and I love by time at TCU, went to Omaha five times, five times and ten years, including four in a row. But I you know, when you're watching college baseball and you're watching the the SEC is the best conference. It just is, and it's the biggest environments. And I have a saying that I use in my life that if you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room. And so I really just at fifty years old, I wanted to challenge myself. And I love TCU certainly, and TAC you can win a national championship at any time, at any year, But what drives me is just the I want to challenge myself against the best in whatever that I'm trying to do. And uh, from a from a coaching staff, I mean, obviously I want to win and all that kind of stuff, but I really enjoy being a part of a team, right And if when you hear coaches retire or players retire, that's what you hear from them is they miss being around the guys. And I mean, I'm at a donor's house right now doing this with you guys, and we just had the team over here to be around this pool and eat some barbecue and just kind of take catch a breath for a second before we play this regional. And that's really you know, the games are going to come and go. You'll I'll remember some of the big games and stuff like that, but you're really just going to remember, you know, the relationships with the players. So I love winning, I love competing, and I love being part of a team.
Speaker 3: All right, did you hear that? Justin? Do you hear that if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up.
Speaker 1: Room too much?
Speaker 2: Roo Hey, you could be hanging on at the pool and you're on here with us. Man, we really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody wants to see me around the pool and my swimsuit. But I think the guys have all gone home, they've they've moved on to other things. So yeah, yeah, that's that's too much on the edge the pool edge.
Speaker 3: There you go. Hey, I got a good one for you here. So if Arch Manning decides, you know what, I want to play both sports. I want to play baseball. Where are you playing Arch Manning? What position?
Speaker 1: Well? Arch is a first of all, Arch is a great dude. Uh And I was actually when I was at TWU Lane. You know, the Mannings lived right off campus in New Orleans and they went to Newman High School, which is like two blocks away from church and stadium the ballpark. I don't think it's churching anymore, but from the ballpark at TWU Lane and Peyton and Eli used to come to baseball camp when they were little guys. And you know Archie Archie Manning was a shortstop at Old Miss as well as the quarterback at Ole Miss, and so they love baseball. Arches around all the time. He's arch is like six' four about two forty uh and he can. Run so arch probably profiles as a power hitting, outfielder like a right fielder with a cannon. Arm that would be where he.
Speaker 3: Falls Dave, Winfield.
Speaker 1: Yeah Dave, winfield Some Dwight, evans very.
Speaker 3: Little Evans, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: YEAH i think arch runs better Than Dwight. Evans But evans had that rocket arm right.
Speaker 3: Hey every every show ON dr from The, dugout we asked the, guest did we've we Had clemens, on we had Theo epstein, On we're gonna Have Dustin pedroia, on we Had mark De rosa. On we asked who THE mvp is in your, life and it's not the most valuable. Player it means who's been the most valuable person in your life really on your baseball. Journey who is that.
Speaker 1: On my baseball? Journey would have to be my college, Coach Rick, jones BECAUSE i wouldn't even be in this, profession and THEN i had a chance to work for him for eight years At tulane and really see how to build a, program not just the baseball, stuff but just really how to build a. Program so he would be the one in my professional life and my personal. Life it would be my parents and my, children you, know my Son, jackson my Daughter, katie who've been like so supportive of this lifestyle as a coach from the time that you know they were born In tulane and all the way through UNLV Tcu Aggie land and now In. Austin So i've been very.
Speaker 3: Blessed, yeah that's, neat AND i get the sense you really wanted to share that one last one for me before we wrap it. Up you mentioned your. Kids what is being a? Parent how does being a parent help you as a head?
Speaker 1: Coach teaches you how to have empathy for the. Players you, know it's real, easy especially in this competitive environment to WHAT i would call AND i HAD i failed at, this especially younger in my younger coaching, days is you personalize the performance of the, player. Right in other, words Little johnny strikes, out and how can you strike?
Speaker 2: Out?
Speaker 1: Right, like, well he's not trying to strike. Out and if you can always kind of put it in perspective that that's somebody's. Child and then the other PERSPECTIVE i can give is my WHEN i was doing that student teaching in the spring of nineteen ninety two In North, CAROLINA i worked for an old football coach At Western Alamance High school and his name Was Mickey, brown And i'll never forget he pulled me in one day and he, said, BOY i want To i'm going to tell you something that you need to remember the rest of your. Life you can take the most, intelligent, sane level headed human being when it comes to their, child they're the most, insane out of touch of, reality crazy human they could possibly. Be give them some, grace. Right and so we've all seen the horror stories of parents going crazy at sporting, Events but in, general did you get back to your, question this is somebody's, child, Man and at the, end of the. Day my job is to help them, become you, know the best version of themselves as a in terms of their character and their leadership and and as a teammate and, uh you, KNOW i try to try to keep that in mind because that's HOW i would want my child to be. Treated.
Speaker 3: Right that's, Great that's so.
Speaker 2: Good, Hey, jim we thank you so much for joining us on from the dugout. Man good luck this. Weekend obviously a fun. Weekend you have a lot going on this, week so we appreciate you taking the.
Speaker 1: Time. Man, YEAH i appreciate you having make sure you Tell pedroya THAT i did two home busits with that guy to try to get him to go To. Tulane so little ped you, know he owes. Me but, no thanks for having me. ON a big fan of what you guys are. Doing glad you had the rocket. On we've got a Little longhorn. Connection he'll but all continue to. Go, well hook, Him.
Speaker 3: I'll GET i will, yeah hook, Him i'll. Give i'll give pedroy all the grief in the. World, slash thanks so. Much hope to see you At, omaha my. Friends thank.
Speaker 1: YOU i hope so.
Speaker 3: Too take Care the coach, Him Slas ageles of, course The Texas. Longhorns there's. Again we are striking gold with the guests that we've. Had the one Thing i've HEARD i think all four of them, say, though is make sure that the game stays. FUN i think they've all said that at some point during the course of our, shows AND i think again it's if all four of them are saying. It AND i can't wait for next week When Dusty baker is going to join. Us, Right dusty's our guest next, week, right? Correct, yep. Yep dusty's got millions and billions of stories and. Connections we're not going to prompt, him But i'll be interesting to be interesting to see if somehow he brings up most important, thing, man is to make sure that the players are having fun playing the.
Speaker 2: Game, yeah And, rebby you, know in working with The brewers organization and having a lot of conversations With Craig counsel and how he did it and how he managed and how he still does. It but even at that, level, MAN i don't think people realize the games that are. Involved so even in the day to, day the pregame stuff bp the things that they're doing they often accounts does, this AND i know a lot of other coaches that are managers that do this even at the big league. Level but they incorporate, games, Man they have systematic stuff that there's points for certain, things just to create an energy and a fun aspect of. It and all of that comes back to just having.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 2: Right they're trying to make it fun in the day to. Day so if they're doing that at the highest, levels we should certainly be having fun at the youth.
Speaker 1: Levels.
Speaker 2: Right so, yeah, man they ALL i, MEAN i think we hear that over and over, again but it's just such an important note and such an important, lesson.
Speaker 3: Man all, right just a great show, Again and want to remind everybody the platform is the parent. Dugout that's where you have to go the parent. Dugout become a teammate gets you live access from this, program dirt from the. Dugout you get to ask the. Questions we had some really good ones tonight recruiting confidentials on the. Lineup you can ask me or justin anything you. Want the clubhouse conversations allow you to engage with other baseball parents on their. Journey you can learn from the community and what they are dealing, with as well, videos written content from the best in. Baseball please join us at The Parent dugout and get a chance to listen To dirt from The dugout as well As baseball Recruiting. Confidential justin look forward to next week we'll Have Dusty baker. On great, Show, Buddy Thanks.
Speaker 2: Buddy