Speaker 1: Who do you who?
Speaker 2: This is George. I'm gonna cut right to the chase, folks. As of right now, Sam Taggart is halfway through his stand up tour and I, George Severes, am about to start my stand up tour.
Speaker 1: So if you.
Speaker 2: Want to see Sam on tour, he has a few dates left d C, Philly, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Boston. You can go to linktree dot com slash Sam Taggart. And if you want to see me on tour starting later this month in La Easthampton, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Sacramento, San Francisco, Seattle, Toronto, and a few more dates that I'm adding soon, you can go to linktree dot com slash George Severes. That is l I n K t R e E dot com slash either Sam Taggart or George severies depending on which one of us you want to see, and I'm gonna be honest, some of these dates are selling out, so I would act fast. We cannot wait to see you on the road. We are having so much fun touring and that's pretty much it. Enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: Who doy Who? Glamour Girls you're listening to Stradio Lab rewind.
Speaker 2: Once a month, we will be re releasing an old classic Stradio Lab episode to refamiliarize new listeners with the lore that built the podcast. The government cannot shut down.
Speaker 1: Because we recorded some of these long long ago. The audio quality may be mixed, but trust the ideas are eternal and dangerous.
Speaker 2: So take out your notebook and open to page one, because it's time to start taking notes about the things we've said.
Speaker 1: Okay, enjoy the past. Bye. Podcast starts now. Wow, I haven't gathered my thoughts yet. Well what thought? I don't know. There was something. It all happens.
Speaker 2: So you were like, okay, let's start. Podcast starts now, and I'm I find myself in that place between backstage and on stage, and I'm telling myself go go. The crowd is waiting go. But then I'm being like, oh, sorry, just one more sip of water yea. And meanwhile the executive from the big network has already left.
Speaker 1: He's like this is not He's like this is unprofessional?
Speaker 2: Is unprofessional? What is he wearing his food in his teeth? Looks disgusting? Disgusting.
Speaker 1: Gig eye alert.
Speaker 2: We do not we have filled or disgusting gig a quota for the month. We don't need any more with this little bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that can be so hard. So that's where I am. How about you me? I feel like I'm in a similar space, but I'm my My imagery is more that I'm walking from the back of the venue, and it's sort of like I'm sort of I should have come from, you know, the stage door, but I'm making a show of it, and I'm being like, Okay, it's taking me forever to get there, like yeah, you know, way, that's kind of fun. And everyone's like, oh wow, he's playing with the forum like I didn't know someone could come from the back. Are you doing the thing?
Speaker 2: Are you saying hi to people as you're walking, but with no expectation that they'll say high back?
Speaker 1: Yes, just sort of like waves waves here to be in a room where all eyes are on you, can I tell you please? I'm We're recording this live from New York City, of course, and you know I've been out of town, one could argue, and I went.
Speaker 2: To, do you think living somewhere different permanently counts as being out of town?
Speaker 1: Well, it's certainly not in town. I can say that much, and I was. I went to the actually last night, and I actually went with some one of my coworkers at the job who was in New York as well, and he got to watch as people everyone comes up and says, Hi, oh my god, you've been out of town. How has it been? Multiple pole homecoming? It was a homecoming?
Speaker 3: Wait where do you live? Oh? Yeah, I'm sorry, I'm keeping saying. I feel like I'm I'm like eating alone, like you're and you're like at a table.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're like tweeting you're first stay next to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We put our guests through this ringer of like, rather than welcoming them, we make them do the most awkward thing possible, which is just sit there and make facial expressions at us and just not be able to speak and just have to be.
Speaker 3: Like it's working. I feel I feel excluded. Oh oh, but in like.
Speaker 1: A in a way that makes you want to perform even better? Is it like revenue up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little. I'm like, what am I going to? How am I going to get in there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Am I gonna?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well there's a tension building.
Speaker 3: What do you order? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that looks good. Oh, I would love to try that.
Speaker 2: This is actually something we can talk about, is the dynamics of talking to a neighboring table at a restaurant.
Speaker 1: I think we should bring in our guest. Okay, let's bring our guests. Okay, we'll not further do please welcome the multi hyphen it and recent star of Fantasmas Martine. Hello, Martin, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Was I supposed to say?
Speaker 1: You don't have to?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm glad you recognized me because it's it's like a fifty to fifty these days.
Speaker 1: So how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I was resistant. I don't want to overshare. It seems to be like a thing.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to come in a podcast answer to the question how are you to be? I don't want to overshare.
Speaker 3: I don't I prefer I'd prefer to. Well, sometimes I just get too genuine and I kind of the other person is kind of they don't know what they're in for. They're like, I wanted to just go.
Speaker 1: I just want it to be we don't mind being challenge all.
Speaker 2: You find that you get to that genuine place too fast?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I kind of like sit on the edge kind of intimacy. If it was a ledge, I'm like dangling my little bitsy heels.
Speaker 1: Off the edge, some of the tiniest heels I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, like you're lying.
Speaker 1: Wait and I so it's like a cliff, the waves crashing on the rocks, and I'm scared. I'm like, is she gonna get that intimate?
Speaker 2: And then if it's yeah, that's that. And so then every time someone starts a conversation with you, it's a little tap on your shoulder. But if it's if it's too much, you're oh.
Speaker 3: Wait, it's like a real it's like a push.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Well that must be really hard.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna what did I say?
Speaker 1: Good? You said you were good.
Speaker 3: I think that's true.
Speaker 2: See, now you're hanging off the ledge. The word good brought you from sitting on the edge to hang off, hanging by one hand.
Speaker 3: There's like a yeah, there's like an old you know, twisted tree I'm holding Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so dangerous.
Speaker 2: And it's got a chill. Yeah, and the fog you actually can't see the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of No, you can hear.
Speaker 1: You can hear. Oh in the salt, the salt in the air.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, gorgeous. I mean that's why I look like that. I mean, it does.
Speaker 1: Really, it was amazing.
Speaker 2: It's a double edge story because on the one hand, you you might die, but on the other hand you look snatched as hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah you, I mean as you. How else would you want to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, Martine. Can I ask a personal question?
Speaker 3: I've never seen this show? How personal? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to know what in your life changed when you messaged me I'm ready to do a podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because we actually have been trying to get you on for approximately five years.
Speaker 1: And then one day I got this beauty message said I'm ready to do a podcast. Yeah, And I said this something has changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it did changed it. I don't I don't enjoy this, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 1: Well it's a curse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't enjoy inhabiting this body and being on earth. But I I have made the best of it. Sure, and I think and I I was on Julio's show again, and but this time everyone, you know, everyone gagged, Well they gagged, they gagged and I and I and I was told I have to do more press.
Speaker 1: I was told there by Julio.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: But you don't deny it.
Speaker 3: I he didn't specifically say that. It was it was made clear to me that I can't just be this kind of anonymous figure.
Speaker 1: So you're breaking your silence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you have asked, and I was like, oh, I won't. It won't be like totally foreign for me to Yeah, it's gonna it's like me stepping into the.
Speaker 1: This is your big debut, yeah, oppress, Yes, because you have like a lot of listeners.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, well, maybe I'm here because I'm here for that. I'm here for two. I kind of feel like I have nothing to promote though.
Speaker 1: That's okay. Most of our guests don't.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to recap, you don't enjoy this. You are doing it because we have a lot of listeners and you have nothing to promote.
Speaker 1: But you are here to promote fantastics. Do you feel uncomfortable with the question? How are you?
Speaker 3: I don't feel uncomfortable. I just I didn't want to. I didn't want to make you listen to something that that I might regret saying, of.
Speaker 2: Course, I get the sense that I'm getting is that there is a big secret, don't you don't you feel there's a big secret and you're afraid that if you speak, you'll spill it. You have, you have a big secret, don't deny it.
Speaker 3: I have a big secret. So it's true. I didn't I didn't want to say it. But it might even be two secrets. Oh yeah, somehow less dramatic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like secrets. Yeah, we all have.
Speaker 3: Secret seven secrets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's really interesting. The number of secrets that have is one.
Speaker 3: It's only one one secret.
Speaker 2: Also, I would say two is literally the worst number because at least if you have a hundred secrets, then okay, you're like you like wear a robe and you like But if you if you have two, it's like, okay, so you're like a politician and your two secrets are like you had an affair and you're like a bad dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like that's actually not and you took money from oil. There we go, that's a better secret. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're paying you're paying for nice hotels, yes, exactly, you're paying for beautiful dinners.
Speaker 1: Yeah so everyone. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So actually, if you have one big secret, a way to make that better for yourself is to have another secret, and then it will make the first secret less but to.
Speaker 1: Be better than that's sort of how you know, almost addiction starts. So you're like, well, it's like this is how credit card debt works, where you're like, well, I already have a little Maybe I'll just paid off another credit card. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: What if someone was addicted to secrets, collecting them or just having them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to talk about it anymore about your secret.
Speaker 1: Your two secrets. You don't want to talk about.
Speaker 3: Your secrets, That's what I said.
Speaker 1: But you do want people to know you have them?
Speaker 3: No what Oh so we'll cut that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is live, Yeah, this is live.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, okay, well, coming at you live from Time Square. Honestly, this building gives Times Square Hall the way that played different Hits as you walk through the tunnel of Hits. Yeah, that's why I was late.
Speaker 1: Oh you got lost in the tunnel of Hits.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just would go forward and go back, and go forward and go back. And I got on my phone and I took some content and then I was like, I can't post this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: But can we go back there?
Speaker 4: Like the three of us, we definitely are going to We're going to go back and we're going to get some picks and we're not going to lose ourselves in it.
Speaker 3: And that's what you want.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, do you want to lose yourself in the Tunnel of Hits?
Speaker 3: I feel like I can't. I mean it was I was like.
Speaker 1: Half what you were half an hour late because you were in the tunnel of five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like thirty five minutes.
Speaker 1: I want to say something about being thirty five minutes late. Yeah, where there was thirty five minutes late is actually so significantly late that you get scared and you're like, oh, she's not going to show up. That when you do show up, it's actually a treat. Like when you got here, I was like, oh, like there was nothing but like joy. Yeah, okay, because it was like it could have been so much worse, Whereas if you were twenty minutes late, we would have been mad.
Speaker 3: We were like, hell and fifteen, It's almost.
Speaker 1: Like fifteen doesn't even count. We were fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh you were fifteen.
Speaker 1: Well I was actually twenty. Let's just say we were mad. They were mad at me.
Speaker 2: We did another recording before this, and I was twenty minutes late because of a combination of subway issues and my own timing, and I coul feel that they were mad. Yeah, and I had to overperform. And I actually think I knocked it out of the park because I think that pressure is what I needed to.
Speaker 1: Stick the landing, stick the land. Yes, like a gymnast, Like, what's a gymnast? So you would love them? Yeah, you would love gymnastics. Yeah, A short little girls, yeah, oh yeah, I yes. And they can do anything flip, twirl, spin, balance, very.
Speaker 2: Strong, strong and elegant and graceful.
Speaker 1: Yes. And they represent our country oh and.
Speaker 2: Yeahs yes, like in the United Nations and Angelina Jolie figures if you will. And they work in teams and also individually, so they celebrate both the communal aspect of American culture and the rigid, individualistic, capitalist nature of American culture.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful combination, but it comes at a cost because they can only stay so beautiful and strong for sol long. Yes, So they die out very very young.
Speaker 2: And as soon as they are twenty one years old, they're too old, and people are throwing tomatoes at them, saying, old bitch, get off this stage.
Speaker 1: I don't want you representing my nation. Anymore. So it's unethical in that regard, but it's still inspiring. Nonetheless, Yeah, if you don't look into it, you would really like it.
Speaker 3: You both know so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the sticking the landing is when a gymnast does a bunch of flips, you know, it doesn't count it. She then like falls flat on her ass. She has to stick the land and she has to land on both her feet and then do this.
Speaker 1: Hands up to show them, to show that she's not a threat, right, she actually she has to land and then do this.
Speaker 3: I think I have seen this. Yeah, I think I've seen this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you like the Olympics?
Speaker 3: I've never been Mmm.
Speaker 1: Maybe on TV.
Speaker 3: I I didn't watch. I didn't watch this year either, but I had friends that were there in Paris and they were telling me how it sucks. They were like, oh my god, this like it got hand out and it was like allegedly that Gaga performance was like pre taped, so while it was happening, she wasn't even on the stage.
Speaker 1: Not like us that we're alive like this, not like this.
Speaker 3: I'm here, I reached through my face. No, apparently it was just like such a bust with the weather, and I can't believe they made people swim in the sun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. Those people are all going to grow like an extra limb.
Speaker 3: Someone got sick. Couldn't even like compete because of the like pollution, pollution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do you say poop? It is a poop. It's a poopoo.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to say pooh in frene. Oh yeah that's yeah. Yeah, that's my mom swear when she gets really mad.
Speaker 1: Quietly, I really like when you erase the eye.
Speaker 3: Ye, you're like, oh god, she's really it's like, oh it's bad.
Speaker 1: It's like the key.
Speaker 3: It's like she doesn't have our keys. We're like locked out or ship.
Speaker 1: Ship you know, one of those people that when she's angry rather than louder.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, she's not a yeller. That's why I'm like this, mm do you ever raise your voice?
Speaker 1: Would you like to yell at us? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would love. I would love to yell at both of you.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we're open to it now, sure.
Speaker 2: Or if you want to surprise us during the episode, Oh, that could be fun. Whenever you feel like yelling at.
Speaker 1: Us when we say the magic word, what do you want the magic word is poop in the sin, But there's no way we're going to get back to poop in the sun.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we have to think of a word that we might say.
Speaker 3: Are they like kids?
Speaker 1: They you're really small children? Yeah? Yeah, yeah. You know. Also when you said.
Speaker 2: We're an educational show, it feels like small children.
Speaker 3: It feels like you're teaching me a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's our first segment is called the Letter B, and in this segment we say words with the letter B for all our kids listeners. That's right, that's right. Yeah, sorry, I forgot.
Speaker 2: I forgot for a second that first segment box very ball, ballpark, balloon.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have any B words?
Speaker 3: Boobs?
Speaker 1: You have to cut that show?
Speaker 3: Bress breast how's an every child already seen one? Both of them? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That one to two for years? True?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess if they've breast yeah, but not for years. You were not breast fed?
Speaker 1: Okay, judgment. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just figure, you know, all American Midwest like that's screams breastfeeding.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe I don't know.
Speaker 2: You you don't know if you were breast fed sorry, I know, I'm I know I'm attacking you right now.
Speaker 1: But is it?
Speaker 3: How's your immune system?
Speaker 1: Amazing?
Speaker 3: Okay? Then probably have you.
Speaker 1: Never asked George how his immune system is terrible? And yet I was breast fed?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Were you breast fed? And how's your immune system?
Speaker 3: Mine's okay? And I was breastfed. What were you drinking?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow, corn so corn milk, corn milk so shocking. No, I don't know. I think the real answers.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't know, Rain. I think before I was like probably not, but then I'm like, well, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you. Why was your assumption no?
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't sound right.
Speaker 2: Because you're like, that's my mom. Why would why would she be feeding me her breath?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would have been when you were a baby. No, I get that, but I think no, but I don't know, do you? Okay? Sorry, I can stop pushing this. No, I don't.
Speaker 2: I should call her and she'll it's funny, like, how do I know? I just know I was told. I was definitely I was told. And I feel like there are like photos and like she also photos?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the internet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you post them.
Speaker 2: Well, that was my one secret that I was trying to keep. It's that I was breastfed as a child. Well what's great is that then it was leaked. It was leaked, and now you have another And now I have a new secret that I'll never tell.
Speaker 1: Martin.
Speaker 3: I like talking about both of you more.
Speaker 1: Do you do you want to ask us? Do you want to interview us? Oh?
Speaker 2: I would actually love that because you know we were saying this before. You look like an interviewer with the gorgeous hair, the mic and the clock behind you.
Speaker 3: And no it's not in the frame.
Speaker 1: Okay, well the listeners will just happen.
Speaker 3: How much is in the frame?
Speaker 1: Just your eyes, your mouth? Like the two.
Speaker 2: I would love to be interviewed by Martin. Should we just like do our first segment and then how low is it going?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I shall be more aware of my posture. I thought it was just my mouth. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think Martine should ask each of us one interview question and then we should do our first segment. Okay, Martine, ask each of us one interview question.
Speaker 3: I know we're I'm hungry to it and that's why I was late.
Speaker 1: Can I say.
Speaker 2: Something I know it's usually you usually don't comment if you hear someone's stomach growing.
Speaker 1: But I actually really appreciate that you did. She's like, I think it was a pretty demure ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's cute. I I didn't prepare for task out of your questions.
Speaker 1: No, that's true.
Speaker 3: I did. I did do I did the homework.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, I did the homework straight things. Yeah, that's different. We'll get to that. Yeah that's different. That's not that's not the we're This is sort of the preamble. Okay, okay, anything goes.
Speaker 3: What were kind of icons growing up that you I can't help it that you it's funny still look up to.
Speaker 1: Oh icon's growing up that we still look up to.
Speaker 3: Like as child, you love them.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting because I have one that I don't. That's funny, Okay, what is it? I remember being like reading a book on Lancet arm Strong when I was like in middle school and being like, damn, this guy is really a good guy.
Speaker 3: The bicycle cyclist cyclist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who it turns out is bad? And then yeah it was he was like doping and stuff, and he cheated on schol Crow and he cheated on Scherl Crow.
Speaker 3: I didn't know he dated hill Crow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even makes you have Do you think that songs about him? It's about cycling.
Speaker 1: I think it's about it's about him cycling.
Speaker 3: It can't be that.
Speaker 1: He's like, that's what.
Speaker 2: Inspired him to start doping? Is he heard the song by Schroyl Crow if it makes you happy?
Speaker 1: Because winning really made him happy.
Speaker 2: Actually it's about doping if it makes you happy.
Speaker 1: I can't be that bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like, oh you're right girl. Yeah, and then he just like kept on dope. It's like time to live my life. Time to live strong enough judgment.
Speaker 2: Okay, no one's going to comment on time to live U strong? No, that was good, Okay, thanks Jesus Christ. So I guess icons that I liked growing up. I do find it interesting that you said that you still look up to, implying that an icon is someone you look up to, because I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's an and has bad tastes and icons Because if.
Speaker 2: My icon was Madonna, does that mean I look up to her? Or I don't want to be like Madonna, but she is an icon to me?
Speaker 3: You don't, I don't think so. At the time, did you though, you mean like.
Speaker 1: You were inspired by her energy? I was inspired which album? I would say?
Speaker 2: I mean she was an icon before this, but I do think American Life was really big.
Speaker 3: For so underrated.
Speaker 2: Yes, Underrated was really big for me. It was when I realized that she had an old sensibility, that she wasn't just a girl next dooor pop star. It also liked, you know, putting a whole bottle of water in her mouth. She did that in the sex documentary.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when she could show you. Is that why you wanted to be?
Speaker 1: Like maybe I want You're like, yes, that's me.
Speaker 2: As a child child being like, wait that my icon is Madonna in Truth or Dare do it?
Speaker 1: Simulating a blow job on a water bottle?
Speaker 3: You understood that that was fashion.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, and then American Life solidified it.
Speaker 1: And then now like she's still my icon? Sure, but do I want to be like her?
Speaker 3: Well, most icons they're like ideologies, right. That means that they're on a pedestal or there's there's some kind of.
Speaker 1: What is the Madonna ideology? This is it's like it's like live out loud, like you are the most important person on earth.
Speaker 3: Rebel heart Heart. Yeah, push back.
Speaker 1: When someone says run, you walk, when someone says walk, you run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can do you can do everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want. And if you're bad at something, that's actually good.
Speaker 3: Or that doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that doesn't matter because you did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you did it, rebel you did the thing. Rebel Heart, rebel Heart. Rebel Heart is actually like kind of a huge idea. Yeah, and I carry I carry that with rebel Heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah in the postal bag. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually no, I'm not gonna shoot. I have to get something digitized. Let's not talk about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that there's so much we're not talking about today.
Speaker 3: I know I have control issues. It's something that I'm working on. It's why I was like, I'm gonna ask you questions, and it's why it doesn't make me a great actor or as who.
Speaker 1: You're an incredible actor as well, you're a damn star, but say more about your country.
Speaker 3: I mean, I came here for that.
Speaker 1: I remember when you gagged audience globe, audience around the globe.
Speaker 3: See, it's more like, I don't know if that's true. Just because it's available. I don't think that means you are.
Speaker 1: But everyone's telling you we're gagging.
Speaker 3: Well, my friends are, and that's that's really what matters. I'm like, you watched it. Watches I'm like, oh, you watched it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, here's a question for you. Who is an icon you still look up to?
Speaker 3: This wasn't part of an agreement. This wasn't part of you. We should have said that when we started this, that you also would ask me my question.
Speaker 2: I'm sensing a pattern here, Yes, I'm something a very really easily readable pattern.
Speaker 1: You're very thrown off by surprises? Am I correct in that?
Speaker 3: Wow? I mean as a maybe maybe maybe I have some trauma that night. Ooh, it's like being.
Speaker 1: Traumatized.
Speaker 2: Yes, And now we have a flashback and it's a surprise birthday party.
Speaker 1: Walked in the room. Surprise. She's like tears instantly.
Speaker 3: No, honestly, my my, oh my god. What is it when you're legally all had to drink in the States? One I turned to my twenty first birthday in college. I I was so excited to drink right and I and no one was around, Like I texted everyone like let's go, like I can buy us alcohol, and no one messaged back. Everyone was unavailable, busy or nothing, And so I went to the liquor store and I like a handle of gin alone because I knew how to make a gin and tonic because that's what my grandmother drinks and so i'd make those for her. And then I got wasted alone and then got one text from my roommate who brought me to like I don't know, above the library, and then all my friends were there with the cake and they're like, surprise, we didn't forget. But by that point I was so like devastated by everyone kind of like being unavailable and then drunk it kind of it kind of brought me to like a happy medium opposed to like the escalation of Like, so.
Speaker 2: There literally was a trauma, a surprise birthday trauma, and that's why you're traumatized by surprises. But you're saying it wasn't a trauma because it brought.
Speaker 3: You to a happy Yeah, I feel like that's not that's such like an American trauma, Like that's so like you forgot my brit Yeah. Yeah, not, it's so not a it's actually not drama at all.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. What if the trauma is that you succumbed to an American trauma. Wait, that's genius. You should write that down because you were like, I love this.
Speaker 2: I'm not like these stupid Americans, but oh my god, I feel trauma because of my surprise. Already I thought I was American college, but I'm as American as apple pie.
Speaker 3: Do you think I'm like a you think I give apple pie?
Speaker 1: No? But in that moment, in that moment, I would never ever say you give apple what dessert? Would you say, Martine gives? Oh this is interesting? Okay?
Speaker 3: Oh I think I know you know, well what desert?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think I think you will give like a sorbet that is a like a.
Speaker 1: Or like a minty flavor. You know what I'm getting? Anything? You know in like like in a chocolate commercial, the way they show chocolate like like doing this. Oh, that's sort of what I think of you as.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, see to me, it's like it's what it's minimalist one chocolate commercial.
Speaker 1: You're like the chocolate and a chocolate commercial that's being like still liquid yeah yeah, yeah, it's being shaped.
Speaker 2: You're mid shaped confection chocolate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're going opposite directions. You're going in a more.
Speaker 2: Like maximalist chocolate waves, whereas I'm thinking you are giant plate, a single scoop of mint, Sorbet get ready, leaf of mint leaf on the Wow.
Speaker 3: I do love mint. I do love chocolate, kind of chocolate.
Speaker 1: Dark dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but I'm seeing like a spoon. Like for you, I'm really seeing a spoon. Whatever it is has to be eaten with. You give spoon. You're giving spoon and we're gagging on your spoon you're giving. This is interesting.
Speaker 2: You're giving little spoon with big spoon energy.
Speaker 1: So you're the little spoon.
Speaker 2: That's a tom Oh my god, that's real. You're little spooning. You're You're a power little spoon. Okay, so maybe now I want Sorbet.
Speaker 1: I know I'm right here. You should have a new drag character named Sorbet.
Speaker 3: Sorbet with the T I say the T though.
Speaker 1: Oh actually I like Sorbette with like T T at the end. No, that's very high.
Speaker 3: I'm Sorbette, Martine Sorbett. I do need a new last name.
Speaker 1: You think you're going to get a new last name.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to get married.
Speaker 1: Well to say so, then you don't have to worry about what the last name is. It's going to be your. Do you not want to take your You don't want to take it? You just want to make up a new one.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It would have to be really good.
Speaker 1: I have to what's an what's an example of a good last name? Not necessarily one for you, but for anyone? Yeah, what makes the last name shine?
Speaker 3: I love alliteration? Oh, better and short like what like? Honestly like one to two syllables?
Speaker 1: Mint? Oh, Martin Mint.
Speaker 3: Martin Mint is successful, Yeah and beloved. Fresh.
Speaker 1: She's fresh, She's fresh. You love her breath before you see her. When you hear that Martin Mint is coming to town, you're like, oh my god, that's amazing. I haven't seen her.
Speaker 3: I would go to Spain. Yeah, I would go to Spain.
Speaker 1: Well that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, Martin Mint has a place in Spain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Should we do that for a segments? Sure, Martin, I'm.
Speaker 3: I'll make you nervous. Well, yes, is this in the shot?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is a video, This is a this is a piece. And if you think we're uncomfortable with silence, you're dead wrong. We actually love the stuff.
Speaker 3: That's my stomach.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, this is George. I'm in the process of editing the episode, and at this stage I feel the need to provide some context for those listening audio only and not getting the full video content. So basically, what just happened is Martin very slowly and intentionally picked up a glass of water and took a sip of water. And this is our reaction to that. That was a beautiful piece.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that, Martine.
Speaker 2: I'm working the moment Martin Mint's famous piece.
Speaker 3: Sip, Sip, sip.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well, sip changed the game. I remember where I was when I first.
Speaker 1: Sat Well, that's because we were both across from Martine.
Speaker 3: Actually, yes, yeah, there's like pre impost zip politically. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: She premiered it in Copenhagen, but in an empty room so no one saw it. One witnessed it. It was just you in an empty room.
Speaker 3: And not being seen. It's about a feeling. Yeah, sipping, Yeah, it's about sipping.
Speaker 2: People always ask Martin you know what is sip about, and she's always been very adamant about this. It's about sipping, and people say, no, it's about globalization, it's.
Speaker 1: About it's about commercialism. It's about global flow.
Speaker 2: Of capital, neoliberal systems of waste management. Yes, and but but you've you have a very rigorously formalist approach. You say it is quite simply about the sip.
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't spoken about it really. Oh ever, I've never really would you like to speak on it now? No, that's not really what the work is about. It's about your what you bring to it, your perception.
Speaker 1: Wow, I guess it's each each person has a different ladership to sipping. That's true for me. It's about childhood innocence, of course, and the loss of it. Needles to say, because when you were a child, you sip with a straw.
Speaker 2: You know, when you were a child, you don't know if you were a breastfit And so I think maybe what it's bringing up for you is that you know you were sipping something I want you to remember, but you don't know from what or how, And you're afraid to know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm afraid to send a text to my mom, And says was, I I can text her, text her do you want to give meat?
Speaker 3: So I am like, oh my god, I'm always texting people that I shouldn't be like people. But help on projects that it's like, how do you even have her number? Like, if there was someone who's supposed to get me here today and I had their number, I would be texting when I leave, like hey, this is Martine from from the radio, and they'd probably be like yeah, or they usually they don't respond.
Speaker 1: How does that make you feel?
Speaker 3: Makes me feel like I tried?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the person in charge makes me feel like doesn't respond a misunderstood rebel heart.
Speaker 3: It's like production, especially if they're cute. I'm always blurring the lines.
Speaker 1: When someone's holding a boom mic. It's really hard for me not to find them really hot.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, is it because like it's a posture thing or.
Speaker 1: It's a posture it's a type the type of man that would hold a boom mic like for a really long time. Yeah, I'm like so strong, resilient, so resilient, so supportive, and plus sometimes the shirt goes up.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I gonna say, there's usually ass or it's like crack or belly, but it's one of the other.
Speaker 1: I'll take both, okay, But I never crossed the line, not yet. That's what everyone says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, TikTok, TikTok. I think tomorrow. I think tomorrow is going to be the day.
Speaker 1: What's tomorrow? I don't know, but Martine has a feeling.
Speaker 3: I mean, are you doing that big boom project tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing my my show Night of one Thousand Booms. Oh my god. Yeah, I'm auditioning. I'm I'm sort of trying to make boom mic holders get a chance in the spotlight. So I booked the Bell House and we're having uh, you know, eight minutes sads people to come out hold the boom mic. It's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Interestingly, the people holding the actual boom mics necessary for the event are all weak gay guys. So it's to sort of flip the to flip the script. We have these you know, strong burly men on stage. They're holding fake boom mics, and then little twinkie gay guys are like holding the boom mics.
Speaker 3: That's kind of my time. Oh my god, I love I love twinks really really?
Speaker 1: Do you feel great? Question? Or just as pets.
Speaker 3: Just to have the furniture cars? Yeah, plants, No, I like them as as as objects well, of course I like to objectify them.
Speaker 1: Wow. They make it easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like asking they're just begging for it. Yeah, this is the This is like the little little power spoon energy.
Speaker 2: You're doing no little spoon, little top power little spoon, little spoon.
Speaker 3: Is that does that make it? What is a twink in that?
Speaker 2: If you're doming a twink, they're like a butter knife. Yes, yeah, don't think too hard about it.
Speaker 1: It's like sip there's a salad fork. Oh, there's a salad fork. Yeah, okay, Martine, truth or dare.
Speaker 3: Oh you know it's gonna be there. Okay, I can't tell you anything.
Speaker 1: I dare you lick your notebook.
Speaker 3: This was on the This was on the train. That's right, everyone's watching. Just everyone knows it at home, everyone and everyone's watching. I don't want to do.
Speaker 1: It, okay, okay, and yet she's still holding Oh oh my god, you're bad.
Speaker 3: You That was nasty, but it was very rebel heart.
Speaker 1: That was very rebel heart.
Speaker 3: No, she wouldn't have done it. She would have.
Speaker 1: Pushed back Madonna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one can tell her what to do.
Speaker 1: Well doesn't famously she hate to fact check.
Speaker 2: But of course the scene is that somebody doesn't do it and she does it.
Speaker 3: You're right, ask your.
Speaker 2: Question of the two works you have shown Sip and Licking the notebook, which was Sip and licks Sip and lick. Do you think sip or lick more kind of like encapsulated who you are as an artist. If you were to pick one work to put in the big ba, in the big Bianal, in the big Biale, would you do yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I I've been trying to get out of this box ever since I was born. So I would say nothing. Nothing can encapsulate.
Speaker 2: Whah oh, So you wouldn't pick either. You would say, I'm not going to participate in the big banal. A.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not gonna go.
Speaker 1: To be asked to participate in the in the of course we would all say no to the small bil of.
Speaker 2: Course, well, yes, I can't be contained in that box. But the bigger box sure, very reputable. That's sort of my approach to my career is I'm not going to be put in a little box slightly bigger one, of.
Speaker 1: Course, put me in. When's the movement date? Let me coach? Wow, should we do our first segment? Okay?
Speaker 2: So Martine our first and then after that we'll get into the straight topic. So your homework is going to pay off.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm just aching.
Speaker 2: I really can't believe that Sip and Lick are both not going to be in the Big Banale.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's what makes Martine such an interesting artist.
Speaker 2: You are one of the most, if not the most interesting artists I've ever met in my life.
Speaker 1: The first segment is called straight Shooters.
Speaker 2: In this segment, we test your familiarity with in complicity and straight culture by.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 3: I see texting someone, I'm looking up.
Speaker 2: We're finding our list. So here's the thing, Martine. We're going to ask you a series of rapid fire questions. You have to choose this thing or this other thing. Don't think about it hard at all, just whatever your mind gravitated towards and then and that's it. And the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions about how the game.
Speaker 1: Works, or we'll get really really Martine.
Speaker 3: I want to see upset whatever.
Speaker 1: Mumblecore or Dumbledore. Dumbledore Okay, democracy is under attack or damn Stacy, your mom's a snack.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I already I'm not doing it right. I'm thinking too much. It's okay to think democracy is under.
Speaker 1: Attack, I got the job or a fuck ass Bob.
Speaker 3: I really want to Bob?
Speaker 1: Okay looking expensive or smelling reprehensive, looking expensive object permanence, abject carelessness or Ultrecht in the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: That on. That one's a doocing. Yeah, I heard oliplexll.
Speaker 1: A plex final answer. Next question, Okay, Choo Choo train or Doo doo stain.
Speaker 3: Oh this is a good show. What was the first one? Train?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to repeat the second one? Okay? Girls? So confusing remix featuring Lord or Burr. It's so freezing it's gonna break the record. I like Lord period period. Okay, do re mi faso latito? Or did you watch I saw the TV glow? Mm hmmm do.
Speaker 3: Ray from doray mi faso latito?
Speaker 1: Love it beautiful? Not well?
Speaker 3: I try?
Speaker 1: I no, no, no, that sounds like someone who can sing. I think you can. When someone's like no, no, yeah, that's so singer.
Speaker 2: Your thought is like you want to say yes because you know you can, but then you're like, well they're going to ask me to.
Speaker 3: Say it's so embarrassing. It's like maybe one of the most embarrassing things you can.
Speaker 1: Should we all do it. Do you secretly think you should have been a pop star? Yes, well not so secret?
Speaker 2: Is that the big secret? Oh my god, secrets reveal about this? Oh okay, sorry, sorry, I know the one.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm familiar with Martin's whole ouvra. Yeah, of course we all are. I mean I've seen the music videos. I have not seen the music videos.
Speaker 3: I took them down. I tried to take them down. At least there's some I can't take down.
Speaker 1: But and what you're lucky.
Speaker 3: I's gonna have to wait until it comes out of the vault.
Speaker 1: Oh see Martine Vault the retrospective.
Speaker 2: What about that is the last name Martine Vault.
Speaker 3: Martine Vault.
Speaker 1: Wow, that sounds really wealthy. Yeah, I love Martine Vault. Martine Vault is much more seriou is the Martin mint.
Speaker 2: Martin introduces herself Martin Vault doesn't even you know when she walks in, and you know that that's Madam Bolts.
Speaker 3: Madam Vault is locked in the vault. There's Swiss citizenship involved.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well, it's involves beautiful imagery because of how much is locked away, how many secrets are hidden in there.
Speaker 3: That is gorgeous.
Speaker 2: She has not spoken once until she writes her big memoir at the age of eighty seven called Unlocking the Vault.
Speaker 3: Dissolving, dissolving, dissolving, dissolving vault.
Speaker 2: Wow, to mix metaphors like that is so Martine vault can never have to have the metaphor locked and ready, locked, locked and loaded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, But then instead of just saying like unlocking, opening to go, dissolving, revolving, is that is the Martine Martin Vault.
Speaker 1: And that is I would say even more, even more subversive than sip or lick is naming the book dissolving the You said you're uncomfortable. You're uncomfortable. Yeah, same more, let's explore that.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think I'm used to people like talking about me this much in front of me.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, we do that.
Speaker 2: And yet you know what I mean, you're gaining power as we're talking about and I can sense it.
Speaker 1: I think what you should do with the power is, you know, just wielded as ethically as you can. Right, Yeah, maybe open up a school.
Speaker 3: The Vault school, the Vaults for girls, for dolls, for dolls, the Vault School dolls.
Speaker 1: It does sound like you're locking them away unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's we have to keep you. You have to keep the dolls safe, lock them away.
Speaker 1: We're doing this for your own good.
Speaker 3: Before the government artin.
Speaker 2: Vault has not spoken once in her life, but then suddenly she opens them Vault School for Dolls and publishes her memoir, dissolving the vault, and then she's disappeared again forever. Okay, Martine, I do I know you have your homework prepared, and I know we've edged you now for forty five minutes, so I think it's time. We want to know what straight topic have you brought and what makes it straight?
Speaker 1: Okay, and it's yeah, and before you almost said something like straight topics. So if there's that's fine, It's totally fine. It's so up to you. Yeah, we don't really have rules here, fun.
Speaker 3: I mean, it felt it felt like you had rules when I when I came in, Oh oh, like what take your shoes off, wash your hand? You made me change my pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't up to code.
Speaker 3: They weren't small enough.
Speaker 1: They didn't have enough reflective tape.
Speaker 3: You wanted velcro.
Speaker 1: You have to be able to see you at all times, require all our guests to be an head to toe. Yeah, you're stuck to that chair until until someone unpeels you. Anyway, the show's over. Let's come down. Unpeel the gus, unhook her, unhook her.
Speaker 3: I am, I feel like I got the assignment wrong.
Speaker 1: That's okay. How did you get it wrong?
Speaker 3: Like straight things and rulers perfect? Okay, grids perfect? So you mean like straight lines, column stripes, knives, knives have curved nails.
Speaker 1: Human nails or a nail that you hit.
Speaker 3: Rapt paper, all straight lines. Let's winning. M m oh, but you men sexuality wise like homosexual, heterosexual like colloquial is also known as straight. Why would you expect me to know anything about that?
Speaker 1: Sam Well through your years of study? Of course?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I did hear his fascinating wanting a husband to take his last name? That seems very straight.
Speaker 3: I said married. I would get married.
Speaker 2: Oh but it could be a man or a woman or anyone.
Speaker 1: It could be who what it.
Speaker 3: Could be who? What? Where? When?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: It could be they?
Speaker 1: It could be them.
Speaker 3: Sure, it could be whoa.
Speaker 1: Barton? Now an interest? See she's relationship.
Speaker 3: I'm open to phrase, I'm open to I'm just kind of open totally.
Speaker 1: Did I assume husband without it ever being mentioned? Yes? Yeah, wow, talk about straight?
Speaker 3: I know? Are you both straight? No, we're LGBTQ plus LGBTQ plus. Do you know about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, you have some friends.
Speaker 3: My mom's lgbt plus.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm half that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it only counts if it's your mom's side.
Speaker 3: It only counts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It gets transferred through the mom through the breast milk, through the breast milk. But if you weren't breastfed, then I guess you don't know, you're probably heterosexual.
Speaker 1: Well maybe some of the breast milk like leaked into the water supply. Oh how would that happen through through sewer systems? All right, so, Martine, you've brought fourth rulers, rulers, grids, stripes, knives. Now a knife is interesting, quite explore that. What about knife red as physically straight to you? Yeah? Because to me, because there is a straight side, but there's also the curved side.
Speaker 3: Why don't really think of many knives being like curved?
Speaker 1: Well that seems like erace. Youre on your you think knives are just one straight line.
Speaker 3: If you think about a knife, you think he was skewer.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe yeah, and no one perhaps a spear a spear.
Speaker 2: Arrow narrow, And I would say a sword is more straight, yeah, because both sides.
Speaker 1: Are you know. Well, but not all swords, of course. Well, of course many swords have a curve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right. I was saying, like a switch blade, and it's like, oh, I.
Speaker 1: See, not like an eating blade, not like a steak knife.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about the knives I haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, switch blades, Yeah, all.
Speaker 3: The switch blades I have around the house.
Speaker 1: I remember when you had you had us all over for steak one night, and and when you brought out the steak knives, they were just switch blades. I thought that was really cool. It was so so New York house.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go. No, no, I'm sorry, No.
Speaker 1: I don't apologize. Are there you? I'm seen more? Are there?
Speaker 3: They're wrong? I crossed the out poles, I crossed out polls. I crossed out runways.
Speaker 1: Runways are very well.
Speaker 2: Not, I know, because runways can be can huh huh drants.
Speaker 1: Dang.
Speaker 3: I I have I have dated men straight men.
Speaker 1: Do you like it? Yeah? Do you like it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just it's just different.
Speaker 1: Sure, than women.
Speaker 3: Than women, and and twins and ferries.
Speaker 1: Have you dated a free Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How was that.
Speaker 3: Really fun? Really sweet? It was hard. They didn't want to leave the house.
Speaker 1: Were they outdoor trained? No?
Speaker 3: They it's like at home, it was it was like a double life. It was like living with a spy or something. It's like at home they could be themselves and you know, covered in fur. And then it just I don't know, they're worried about the being judged or something.
Speaker 1: How would you rank from gata, straight men, women, twinks, furrees?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't. I just wouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: That's fair.
Speaker 3: But it's all that's measuring. Oh did I say ruler?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm feeling traumatized, like surprise birthday style.
Speaker 3: Because you're you're reflecting on yourself, Like.
Speaker 1: Can I ask your person? Are we how do you think we've been as hosts during this episode?
Speaker 3: Another measurement?
Speaker 1: Do you think we're obsessed with measuring?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, I guess it's true we are. But I don't consider it measuring. Consider it reflection.
Speaker 3: Reflection, Oh, reflection.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not looking for a number. I'm a looking between one and ten. I'm looking for a feeling.
Speaker 2: You're turned off by our lack of self possession. We are like that furry that's not able to go to the grocery store. You think we don't have rebel heart, and we don't think we don't have rebel hearts. You think we don't have ruble hearts. We know we have rebel hearts. Did you hear how comfortable we were with the silence? So rebel heart, I see what's going on here. You can walk in here our podcast and you're thinking, oh god, these guys, these.
Speaker 1: Guys are heart basic. They don't even have rebel hearts. They don't even know what it means. Oh, they were like, oh, they're doing a podcast on straight culture. They don't have reubele heart, they don't have rible hearts. I'll show them. I'll show them.
Speaker 2: I'll bring in avant garde topics that are straight literally instead of straight figuratively, and they won't even know what to do.
Speaker 1: I don't have to eat their hats.
Speaker 2: I'll do sip and I'll do lick and they'll have some stupid bullshit to say about it because I don't even get the point of my art. And now here they are asking me how they did you want to know how you did you did poorly. I'm Martine Vault and this has been.
Speaker 1: You want to say, you.
Speaker 3: Want to say, I'm really stressful When you say like that, this could be an amazing opportunity actually to do that yell?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, do you want to yell at us?
Speaker 3: No? I don't.
Speaker 1: What can we do to make you yellowt us? It's even more rude to not do it at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, usually people pay me to yellow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I like a sex way.
Speaker 3: This is just just an exchanging of hands. Oh, it doesn't have to be money. Could be diamonds. I have a granola bar in diamonds. What kind of watches that.
Speaker 1: I knew? Not to wear any jewels?
Speaker 2: Martine Vault only gets paid in diamonds.
Speaker 3: Yes, some kind of conflict diamond.
Speaker 1: Do you have any conflict diamonds?
Speaker 3: No? I don't usually wear jewelry.
Speaker 1: I have noticed. Is that true? Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Is it because you just want to let.
Speaker 3: You have the metal detector? When I came in and they made me take everything off in the hallway.
Speaker 1: In the in the tunnel of Hits.
Speaker 3: In the Tunnel of Hits, there's a big one.
Speaker 1: To the style of ripping. No, we didn't do you know, we didn't.
Speaker 2: Do you find that jewelry like would take attention?
Speaker 1: You do? Great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we take attention away from from the work. Innate from the work.
Speaker 3: From the work, Yeah, from.
Speaker 2: Sip and from safe and lick.
Speaker 3: It's like, let's focus on the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the work. Yeah. Yeah, that's powerful because a lot of these artists to say, they come.
Speaker 2: No, they're going to the big, the big, They're going to the big banale. Literally bracelets head to toe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're wearing bracelets, just bracelets, various sizes everywhere, everywhere. God, but I do love a bracelet dress, of course I love Yes, No, I love a bracelet dress. And we're back. So this has been George. This has been This has been George. This has been George. And how are you feeling. I am feeling actually so relaxed. Yea.
Speaker 2: And when I realized that I was being power little spooned, I said, finally I can relax because I no longer have to carry I no longer have to lead this conversation. I can just observe a master, a mistress at work. And as a long time fan, you know, people often ask me what icons do I still look up to and to me. I think it goes back to Martine Vault.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think her early work was instrumental in my coming out and in my wanting to pursue the arts. And then I think her thirty year absence was when I grew as an artist. And now that she's back with the memoir and of course the Vault School for dolls it, I think it has empowered me to be more of a rebel heart too.
Speaker 1: Wow. How about you?
Speaker 3: Hmmm?
Speaker 1: I wish I had such clarity. You know. You know a lot of people do, but a few of us do.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the vault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm feeling like I'm in the vault, but it's not like a sort of fancy vault. I'm in a vault that's like cobwebs and old books. You think so, And I'm a little like, get me out of here?
Speaker 3: Wow? Long does this go? We could we could go anywhere.
Speaker 1: We're in New York, the biggest vault of all. Well, I think we should step out in Times Square and take time.
Speaker 3: And get lunch and get lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm hungry, No, same, Yeah, well it is lunchtime, that's true. They don't tell you that at the Vault.
Speaker 3: I have something to tell you.
Speaker 1: Can you say it now?
Speaker 3: No? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, before we go to lunch, should we do our final segment at the Vault, Yes, Martine Madam Vault. Our final segment is called shout outs.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Now. In this segment, we pay homage to the great straight tradition of the radio shout out.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: So think about like shouting out to your squad back home. You're on the radio. You're giving a shout out to something you like.
Speaker 3: My town doesn't have any radios.
Speaker 1: Your town, New York? The Vault.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mild down, New York, mizzled down.
Speaker 1: I uh, that's g I'm joker. That's old.
Speaker 3: Did you see that?
Speaker 1: But we can still infer, did you?
Speaker 3: I did. I have a lot of opinions about it.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about them at lunch lunch, God forbid we share it.
Speaker 3: Now, come to lunch for the other for the other show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lunch lab, lunchio lab where we talk all things lunch.
Speaker 3: We got our lunch on I I.
Speaker 1: We'll do our shoutouts first so you can see. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, am I afraid to get it wrong?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: What? Am I?
Speaker 1: Like? I could not see that being at all possible to think so.
Speaker 3: Oka good.
Speaker 2: No, you just have to channel your channel, your inner vault and channel channer channer your in.
Speaker 1: It's like a goosebumps.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well before I don't have radio in your town. Okay, Sam, do you have one? I can do one. Yeah, you go for it, Okay, I might.
Speaker 2: I might lean into the vault of it all more vault heavy shout out, good evening Vault residents.
Speaker 1: I want to give a shout out to Siggy's Yogurt. You know, for the longest time, I have been a fai ye Greek yogurt girl. I have said I'm going to support my culture, Greek culture, and support a Greek owned company. But recently I rediscovered Siggi's Icelandic yogurt and specifically the Asie and berry flavor. We're talking fifteen grams of protein, workup mama, and I am having one every day before I leave the house. It is delicious, it is custardy, it is the exact great texture and consistency, and I am absolutely living for it every day of my young life. Thank you. I would like to give a shout out to Martine. Yes, I have known you for a while, and you have always surprised me and in so many different ways, and in a way I love you, know, following your journey and saying oh wow, oh wow, oh wow. And it's always brought me great joy to observe, to watch and to run into you even at a party and say, oh my gosh, and Martin was there. God, I say that all the time. I say, and Martin was there. And you know, I'm addicted to it, and I want to say that the way that you I've known you for a long time, and yet you are a mystery. And this podcast I was like, the mystery will be solved. And of course, what a fool I was and am. The mystery will never be solved. And I should stop trying to open the vault and just embrace the vault is locked.
Speaker 3: I'm so I couldn't pay attention because you were texting during.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: I was distracted.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm sorry. I was opening my own personal vaults.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful yoga.
Speaker 1: The yogurt yoga is so beautiful. Yeah, well, you weren't paying attention to Sam's but the yogurt was really Congrats on the yogurt. Yeah, and I'm sorry. I was I'm sorry I was texting apologized to me and my defense it was really important.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I bet.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now if you have.
Speaker 2: I won't text during yours and I'm going to make direct eye contact the entire time for me as well.
Speaker 3: I'm so tired.
Speaker 1: Of the drama of fakes and the Yeah, just like every day totally, I'm just the bullshit of the industry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like this town getting through this town falls town. God, I want to shout out my locksmith, yeah for showing me how to break into my apartment using your credit card because now I don't have to pay to hire him back. In a way, it was so generous because it like dissolved his his job.
Speaker 1: Like like filmmakers getting really into AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like artists just it's really musing AI all the time. Yeah, it's the same. It's exactly the same. If we were to.
Speaker 1: Measure the two, I would you're catching on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm learning how to do this. You're teaching me.
Speaker 1: You're don't us. We know what you're we know what.
Speaker 3: I would love to shout out Brooklyn Ball Factory.
Speaker 1: What did they make there?
Speaker 3: They make balls? They make rice balls. Ony giddy, so good, Oh my god, the spicy salmon. Honestly, the on all of them, all of them.
Speaker 1: Well, did they have a Times Square location?
Speaker 3: They just opened up a new spots. There's the og which is in Williamsburg, and I think they just opened up a new location and somewhere in the city, but I haven't been there yet. But they're so cute. Everyone that works there is so cute. And I sometimes when I miss home, I go there.
Speaker 1: Will Martine, this has been a really interesting episode. Oh no, do you think you'll submit this episode for the Big B and aal as you're trying to reinvent yourself and trying to move past sip and lick. No podcast ends now. Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players and iHeartRadio podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by Sam Taggart and George Savers.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Becca Ramos, produced by Casey Donahue, edited a mixed by Lawrence Dumped.
Speaker 2: Social video done by Hot Dog Sandwich