Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Friday Podcast in part two of the Bill Coore interview. If you missed Part one, check it out on our website, iTunes or Stitcher.
Speaker 2: Thank you to all the listeners who submitted questions.
Speaker 1: While I couldn't get through all of them, I tried to touch on them a vast majority throughout the conversation. If you're new to the podcast, be sure to subscribe to our channel on iTunes and Stitcher. Now here's part two of our conversation with Bill Coore.
Speaker 2: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 3: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 4: In a Frida Egg Friday egg, the dreaded Friday Friday, Friday Frida Friday Bride egg.
Speaker 3: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course game.
Speaker 5: And uh so to switch gears another side of yours when and this is a question from one of our listeners, cars on the course or for of course he wanted.
Speaker 2: To asked when he originally finished Warren a Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: Of course there was no.
Speaker 2: Part of the scorecards, and what was the thinking behind that?
Speaker 3: Well, any that that truly is like you know it just that came about out of sort of a humorous comment that I made. We were just finishing the course, and of that there Brian Godfrey, who at the time and for quite a number of years after the course opened, was the golfer afterview, and Brian need to comment that the then golf coach another day questioned how the second home could be a part four and the tenth hole could be a part five when the second home was longer than the tenth in terms of actual yard. Each other score right down if you'd played there, you know, the second hold flat. He goes out there and it was built to be a long for big opening in front. Tenth home goes kind of cascaded down that hills, got the creek that winds in front of it. There much more spear green. So anyway, but Brian was saying, this is you know, they said, this has come up more than just from the golf coach and we're getting ready to open, we're going to apprentice score cards and we're good all this stuff. He said, what do you say to that? And I went through and why the second home and then I saw a flu bumpily just said, I said well, brun and does it really matter. I mean, it basically is, you're going to play the whole regardless of what the par is, and you're gonna put down a number after you played it, you know, So what difference is it? I said, for that matter, you just put no par on the scorecard and no one will ever know Ryan he laughed. And the next thing I know, they decide, well, let's try this. We'll put it in no par on the scorecard. We'll needless to say. You can imagine uproar that creating, so that all came out of it. Just I wasn't really being serious about don't put any par on the score card. But I've seen scorecards, you know, and no parum So that's what.
Speaker 5: My whole things. Power doesn't matter. Yeah, yeah, it's just a Marde guy. So it's a stake a life for fast.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like when we did all that work at Planners Number two a few years ago, when Mike Davis at USGA. You know, Mike summed it up perfectly because there was this discussion going on about changing you know, prior to the twenty fourteen opens there, the fourth hole had been a part five and the fifth hole was a part four, probably the hardest part four in the world. And Mike davis idea was, let's make the fourth home a really long four because the entrance to the green is such so much more receptive from real all four, and the green on number five is so severe. Let's build a new t for five way back and play five as a part five. Well, of course this went against things that had happened there in previous US Opens. It was quite an internal controversy, but Mike sended up perfectly, he said, he said, I promise you, he said, all the players in the Chims you'd look at this at nine. Yes, these two holes together, four or five. It didn't matters five, four, four or five in their county. If they walk off here with nine on their scorecard for the two holes, they're happy. They're going on. He said, So, however you want to think of it, it's note and he was absolutely right.
Speaker 5: And one two Riviera fourteen fifteen at sand Hill, I mean, they're all yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know if you look back, people say, well they work that way for the you know, the previous opens they're number two. Well, they when Ross completely redid the course for the thirty six PGA Championship. They were both par fives. So you know, it's against it all relative according to time and place.
Speaker 5: So outside of this old town of timers that you've gotten.
Speaker 6: To do restorations of what site or what of course that you've restored has been in that course that like, the longer you spend, the greater appreciation you have for it.
Speaker 3: M hmm. I don't think there is work, Mandy, you know. I mean, it's not only have we been extremely fortunate with regard to sites to work with for new courses, We've we've been very fortunate to work in some really neat old courses. And I'm not going to sit here and start to give you a rundown out of those courses I think of it sounds horribly so serving. But we've worked as a truly truly special golf courses in this country. And it's much like earlier conversation when you go to one of them, Wow, this is unbelievable, it's fantastic, and you and then you go to another one you oh, wow, that's equally of it. And so what you try to do, or at least I think what we try to do, is appreciate each one for what it is and try to understand each one for what it is and what it was meant to be.
Speaker 4: So is that how you approached the restoration work? Is is you know, not just putting everything back, but discovering the attention.
Speaker 3: Of Absolutely you're trying to take yourself out of the picture, and you're trying to do the work in such a way that if the person who are people who did it in the beginning came back, you know, they might just not in approval. I mean when we worked at number two, of course in Pinners, there was a huge change, huge change both visually, you know, the course played and the whole band I could do Toobe Carb all of us who were working out there with this kid, we just hope that mister Ross, if he came back, you know, not that he's gonna plaud, but at least he would be in approval that this is this is as close as we know how to get to what our sense is he must have intended, and you know the same thing in other places then we worked. You don't go there to leave your signature. You go there to try to recapture something that was as.
Speaker 2: The restoration. I'm excited to see more and more.
Speaker 5: Come is because there's so many places that if you could get back to that original field, you know, from where it's gone, it would it make golf a lot better a lot of places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it can be extremely difficult, it can be extremely political. It's you know, yeah, I mean just since we're talking about Pioneers, but you think about wouldn't he Benda first went there, Don Pageant, who's the president of Pioneers, and Bob Dedman, the owner. They just said, we would like you to restore this golf course. And I remember the first question when you had to restore to what this thing is changing its characters so much through all these decades. Well, restored to what which partners number two do you don't want to go back to? And in the case of Pioneers, if it was possible to do to restore to the most perceived to be pioneers number two, and it's very vast, there are some places you simply could not do that anymore. And not not just because maybe they've been now there are thousands of one thousands of trees, but sometimes there are houses there. They're different, there's a different infrastructure, there's different things that have changed. You know that it's just simply not possible to put it back.
Speaker 5: We talked to earlier a little bit about the pro game and how gets very you know, hit it straight, hit it close and narrow. And this year they'll have the Buyer and Nelson, the trinity for us.
Speaker 2: What do you I mean, what are you expecting from from the tournament? I mean it's going to be a lot different than the typical tour.
Speaker 3: Of course for the most part.
Speaker 5: But you know, do you think do you think the feedback from players can be positive?
Speaker 3: I think it will be extremely mixed. I think it's going to be all the way across the spectacum. I think there will be some players who will very quickly appreciate it and like it. I think there will be some who very quickly will very much not like it. And it's just different, and it's different. It's different for Texas, it's different for the tour. It's a different presentation. And anything anytime something is different, there's you know, it's certainly open to a vast array of interpretation. Is whether that difference is good or not not good. So all we can say is we've done our best to present it in a way that we think would be interesting, you know, for those players, the world's best players, as well as the members and the people who play there. We try to create a golf course. It gives a lot of options for them to make their own decisions of what's going to happen. There's trendy forrest me. I think the very longest players on tour can go there. It's not like we've said you can't hit your driver as far as you will, you know, by the same token, I think we believe that given the firm conditions that we hope will appear to the term with the turf, that not that there are any short players on a tour anymore, but it could be a situation very likely that the longest player in the field could go there and think I can go in here, and the shortest player in the field could go I can win here and everything cleaned. So it's going to allow a lot of choices to be made by players as to how they want to play, how far down the fairways, and the fairways are wide by the tour standards are extremely wide, and they can choose to play it. I really wish. I don't think you will hear sometimes you hear comments like well, it's whoever puts bass that week, you know where it's a hunter's golf course. I don't think you'll hear that. I think it's uh, it's going to be more a matter of that there are times there that to be successful you may have to play a different approach to the greens than they might normally play. It's not it's not a point A to B. The c god really interesting.
Speaker 5: So many people aren't based around statistics now, I'm sure, and the Strokes game method is like, oh, if you're in Pharaoh this far away, you know you've gained this man if I think playing very good architectural, of course, is anywhere any good architecture.
Speaker 2: You can be in the middles fairly and be one of the.
Speaker 5: Worst places, and that to me is going to be the really riveting things.
Speaker 2: That the right play might be.
Speaker 5: To hit it way right with an iron off the tee versus hitting a driver up to forty yards, and that from forty yards you.
Speaker 2: Might have the worst spot. Evolve them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it will be very interesting to see Andy and Casey Cook the superintendent there, who's got the terf the old one thats Oyser, which is the closest thing to the ziser in terms of the cancil, I mean closest thing to fescue in terms of playing characteristics, how the ball chases once it's on the ground, and your ability to put from both the greens. This this is always is the closest thing to fisk you I have seen and Casey's got it really keen. And if it's if the weather is good, wind blows a little, hopefully not too much because it's totally exposed, but wind blows a little and and it's dry, and again that's a very big hit because May in Dallas, Texas is historically I think the web just a horrible amount of for weather. So we'll see, guys.
Speaker 7: But it's like I think there was a couple of years ago and they taped like the whole course of flood.
Speaker 2: So they've heard it at four and a three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's it's a tough time the year there so but it's the weather's cooperative and uh, I think it will be. It'll be very interesting to see, but it's it's you're gonna get a lot of mixed reviews. We by no means say everybody's gonna go to, oh, this is fabulous, you love this. You know it's it's gonna take some time. I mean it's it's the fifth hole. There to a little short part for it goes slightly uphill. There's a big bunker out there on the right short of the green, probably twenty five yards so short of the green, and then the green is tiny, tiny, little little so the old steep green sitting there, no bunkers around it, but it's just persed way up, crowned off severely like a pineherds green, shortcut grass in front of it, right of it, behind it, left of it. And you know, I'm sure people would go, look, it was gonna be a piece of cake for these guys because they could drive the screen. It may be three hundred and five yards maybe, And but the keyt that hole is big bunker is hopefully positioned just properly to the point that all the players on tour I think can hit over the thing is hitting over it is not the primary objective for those guys. It's hitting over it, but not going over the green. So to get a ball for them to just weigh over one over there over the bunker easy. Now they're going to go over the green. And if you go over the green, I don't care who you are, Houdini is going to have a hard time getting up and down and maybe getting up and down. And you know in three from back over the green, it's just all mode, fairways tight. But now you're trying to get the ball up on this tiny little hubcap thing up there, and if you're not careful, you'll have a John Day experience are up there and back up there and back and exactly. And so the key process would be how do I get over the bunker barrely just barely over. So I hit that ground, it's just over. It carries me up onto the green, not over. And so that's the type stuff. And we'll see that kind of different presentation, not just that, but presentations throughout the course that those are the kind of decisions they'll have to make. And I think I think some will embrace that, and some perhaps want me though I was. I was there actually just passed Tuesday through Golf Rider outing, one of the Texas golf writers was told me about he had spoken to Jordan Smith not long ago and said, Jordan, you know, Jordan Blaze out there is basicallycomes home course and his teacher, Cameron Korbick his teachers out there, so you might want to battle Jordan's you know, he knows of course better than anybody. But fast thing Jordan was was talking to him and saying, you know, the course just gives you a lot offs. You just have to make a lot of decisions. A lot of times those decisions go really well, and sometimes they don't. And according to the golf writer, Speed told him, he said, I've played at you. I've shot six under bar on this course. He said, I've also shot six over you know, So to us, see, that's interesting golf when one of the world's best players says, I have to think about where I'm you know, maybe I'm a hen driver on all them. Maybe I'm a hen driver on some, maybe not. It's a process of them learning how they want to go about the negotiating of course. And then of course, if you have different wind.
Speaker 8: Conditions, hold different right, right, So that's in the game, don't I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: It'll it'll be.
Speaker 5: It's I'm saying, it's dark my super Bowl. It's gonna be the most excited about twenty eighteen. Let's get to this that a bunch of listener questions and we'll get a couple of you on and take up too much of your time. Jason Wade wants to know what do you wish to average golfer understood better about architecture.
Speaker 3: Probably how the ground influences play and how the the the detail work that goes into the creation of the golf courses is there to help you in many ways as opposed now it's you know, the perception is there architects go way out course and they create all these hazards to try to to challenge you. Well, that's true an extent, because without challenge God is interesting. Much like you said earlier, boy playing tennis straight down the middle of the court. But really interesting courses allow you to succeed. They give you a challenge and they present a situation, but they allow you to succeed. And oftentimes it's the way the tilt of the ground is, or the way the green sits against a certain slope, or his angles. It's often the small things. It's we all want to notice the giant features, the big magnificent earthworks and that sort of thing, But the detail is the things I think we notice so much, and it is so important. It's you know, a contour that's six eight inches high in a green, in a spine that runs down the green can dictate like all the way back to the team, if the whole presents itself in a certain way, allowing you to play to the right of the fairway, left of the fairway, or whatever. If you can tell where the pen is though it's on the right of end of the spine, it's on the left, and or man, I've got to play over here over there, And those are the type things we find so interesting.
Speaker 5: I think spines are so cool too, because good players miss right and left, they don't miss numbers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: So a spine all of a sudden to the right and left of the pen, that you could hit a shot to fifteen feet and.
Speaker 3: Had a really topple upun there are so many holes around the world that you look at that the play is dictated by a single feature. Generally, most are so often at a green, fourth greene that the old course has sat in a little knob, a little man that sits up short the fourth green, that particularly for good players, it's just simply hit a teacher and we'll have to deal with that thing, you know, and it's just those it's that type of thing, you know. And I think the better the player is the more they're influenced by small things rather than largely because it can be the biggest bunker in the world. Most good players don't worry about hit over, you know, or if there's enough room to decide, they can avoid it. But it's it's just smaller things. It's one of the one of the things I've learned so much from Ben through all the years is how little things do affect the best players in the world. You know, a certain tilt of the ground in combination with a certain wind angle can make things easier or more complicated, more difficult for a good player. So it's it's often the little things that is important as the big and I think I think so often people look at golf courses and focus on the big picture and sometimes miss the detail.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so's the little things that it's a It's like what we talked about before about.
Speaker 2: You know, the difference between that, you know, the what people were trying to.
Speaker 5: Men have died with, but they missed a little details inside of it.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Pete was a master at making small elements work and influence play, and sometimes those will get lost I think in the picture that was presumed.
Speaker 5: So we'll go to Joe Estes with a little bit of history. Is a w song has great grandson. He h, you wanted to ask, you've.
Speaker 2: Built so many great courses, what are you still learning at your most recent projects?
Speaker 3: And that you didn't know for you know? So it's first of all, do I'd have to say my partner, Ben Crenshaw is such a huge fan to your great grandfather. If you has been, you know what his favorite architects are. I mean, Perry Maxim is going to be up there because Ben grew up on Perry Maxwell golf course too. So he and I are both going to be an agree with that. But he will almost immediately a day of Ittilian and so and which is from my perspective, completely understandable and probably from a perspective of building golf courses that can strategically and interestingly challenge the very best players in the world even today, hey of courses that were built many decades ago, I would have to think he would be at the absolute top. Is of course direct school. Oh, it's incredible, It's just it's just incredible. But I guess to your question, you know, it just seemed like there was a cliche or something once said that when you when you quit learning your dad or something to that effect. I don't know, but yeah, I think each one of our each one of our projects, I think we learned from what we've done, and and then observing what we've done, we obviously learned from what other people have done. There's no question you have to do that. But even in our small little realm, we we observe what we've done. We observe when it worked, when things worked, when they didn't, and how do we try to get interesting presentations of interesting sites, but do in such a way we minimize the things that don't work and maximize the things that we learned that do. So I don't know that I can give you an absolute example of that other and it becomes cumulative, and the whole thing becomes cumulative in the sense that so many decisions when you're creating a golf course, so many decisions become pure judgment calls. You can try to base the most statistics, and you can try to do this and that and the other, but the difference in the very best architecture and some of the very worst. It's not that far removed, and you want to walk down the line and you want to make it as interesting as it can be and at the same time not cross over the line, and somehow you just fall into goofiness. And that may sound weird, but it's it can be a pretty fine line to walk if you look at the you look at the greens at Wingfo But yeah, and you go, mister Tilling has a pretty damn good idea. What was going to work? And what was it? And yet it's on the line. Man, he's walking on that line. And see you go if you you know, we often look at stuff, whether it's like there or an oak munt, and going could we ever build these greens? First of all, I don't think I think Ben would agree with me. I don't think either of us think that we're so proud of the guys that we work with. We're prejudiced. We happen to think they're the best. But at the same time, when you see things like the Conjours or the greens at Oakmont, or you go to wing Foot and you just you just see things summer set hills, you go to look at the greens Summerset Hills and you go, are you kidding me? Who thought of this? How did he think of this?
Speaker 2: And it works?
Speaker 3: And yet you could easily try to mimic some of that those conjours within green within putting services and fail miserably and then be tearing them all up and redoing them within a year. So it's those judgment calls. How do you how do you make them? And how do you approximate the best that's ever been done in terms of creativity and still making it work.
Speaker 5: It is a fine line. Jerry Flyon, who used to work at Sandle, had a question along the same line that kind of love, we've certainly end it.
Speaker 2: If you could redo.
Speaker 5: Any hole or strangles at your courses, would you do it? And if you would, where would it be?
Speaker 3: Well we have done it, I mean we have done it. Good to hear from you, Jared to no balls and well have we talked to you in a while? So like Jared a lot, it's very talent, very talent.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 3: You know, again, we do the best we know how to do it with each given site, each given opportunity to build a course. That doesn't mean we get it right. We try, but we're very much aware, and particularly on some sites that are pretty severe, that you think something's you know, you put the first presentation out there, I think this is the best we know how to do on this, and then you watch it, and you watch people play it over a period of time, and then if if you believe, you sincerely believe you can refine something or make something better, make it more playable, or make it more interesting for more than just one classic offer. You don't just look at it. How do we make this tougher for the college players or the tour players or something. How could we do something? Could we do something here that would influence make this more interesting for the members, for the resort players, or the guests or the best players in the world. That's whatever we can we do this? Can we accomplish that and make it more interesting. That's when you make a move, and or when something just simply you know, just think, well, we did the best we could at the time, and now, hindsight being pro bbial twenty twenty, we probably should have done something a little different. We've been fortunate in not having a huge number of those situations. But it was just daylight some and I we're just at Eastampton Golf Club just a month ago. And the little drop shot Part three holder of the seventeenth it was number eight when we were did the switch the lines which a little downhill, just pitch a little pitch down the hill to a plateau green. Part three. The green was that we built simply too severe for the green speeds and maintained and two and for you know, it just didn't it just didn't work. Well. Did it work? Yes, it worked. The members and seemed to have embraced it for years. For years now I've been I've been talking to the folks at East Tampa about could we just go soften those countries. We can maintain the relationships. So it's not like the the Green can look dramatically different or anything. It just can we we can just make it a little more payable and playable and just a little more fun. And uh, the kid that the guys folks at East Hampton and they were they were very happy with it to where it was. But this year enough sand and built up from the bunker, you know, coming out of the bunkers around the rim of the green, and it had started to really constricting things they said we we should probably fit for. At the same time, we sawt in the contract a little bit. And then they just reseeded the green away as well. They won't they won't see it till next season. But yeah, yeah, it's still got you know, it's got a little upper left shelf in a little kind of middle upper thing in the back center and the little dippy thing in the front pen.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 3: But we, yes, we study these things that we're we by no means believe that our first attempt at anything is going to be the way it should absolutely be.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to look at everything in life.
Speaker 3: I think, and in the thing for us is we love to maintain connection with the courses that we've done and then watch how to progress. And sometimes, you know, there can be some outcry against some element of the golf course, and we resist saying, okay, let's go change that. Let's see how it goes for a while, because sometimes something particularly it's something different, may not be the most positively received, but over period of time it becomes appreciated, and so we like to give it time. And then if we maintain the you know, the connection with the course and we all we get together with the owners and the members in order of the bodies may be that you know that take care of the on the course, take care of the course, and we say, okay, could we do something here that might make it a little more interesting, a little more playable, or whatever the case may be. So the courses we like, and you're the ones that we do the best we know how to do, and yet we're probably aware that they haven't reached their potential because that potential needs to be gained through stewardship and management over a period of time and seeing how they play and then seeing things that they need some alterations big or small to get closer and closer to their potential. So we we like seeing the courses that progress, maybe not dramatically, but quietly not working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so many courses go the wrong way over time. Really great to see and go the right way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got this question from a couple of youngsters and.
Speaker 5: Various ages, But advice for younger people who want to become architects who have studied the kind of concepts, But you know, what would be your advice for a nineteen or seventeen year old and you know, at this point in their life wants to become a golf course architect.
Speaker 3: Well, my first advice is have plan me, a serious plan me. I guess it's easy for me sitting here at this point in my life. But I remember Pete dialand was years ago when we mentioned earlier about him lying on the path watching the Dophins game, and I said about I'd like to you know, I'd kind of like said this had done, I might want to be a golf course. I remember he was flippantly pat you know, said it's only becoming a golf course already, talking about same as being struck by lightning. You know it just knew he's right back to TV. And that's not the most encouraging advice. But it's not that far off. I mean really in particularly in today's economic world, and it's it's not that it can't happen. If you have a dream to do that would I would say, choose every possible avenue to pursue that dream, and yet make sure there is a serious plan be back up. I would say that to people are who are looking at golf architecture. I would absolutely say it to people who think they're going to play golfs for a living. There are a lot of gary players out there. You better have plan B. And so. Now having said that, I would study golf courses as much as I possibly could, see as many different ones as they could, I would not necessarily just fall in line and say, oh, this is here's so and so's ranking of courses. This has got to be really good, it's in the top. Whatever. Go make your own judgments. See enough different things to decide yourself do I like this? And if you do, why do I not like this? Why don't make those judgments on how you played that day? If you play, make them upon why didn't you like it? Or why do you like it? Have to have to put up a reasonable defense of your position, and by you know, you may see a golf course it's not on anyone's ranking of anything and think it's better than maybe the one that's the highest rank of any ranking you see. That's okay, that has merit that idea of thinking, I appreciate this course more. Just get to the point you understand why you appreciate it. And then if you if you got put in a position to defend it, how would you defend it? So beyond that. I would also say if you're able to do it, if you're financial situation as such, or if you can survive when extorted in minimal finances and that sort of thing, you don't have a family you're responsible for, then go get engaged in the business of building these things. Start at the ground. Starting at the ground is not fun, but start if you have to, as a labor with a maintenance crew on a golf course, then a construction crew. Find out how these things get built, and then interact, if possible, with the people who are making the decisions as to how they're being built, and then if possible, with people that are making decisions how they're being designed, and just get engaged in the process. I mean, if you can learn how to do that and get a sense of what actually occurs. Because we all have the thief, we can all study the books and we can all come up with the talking point. But when the push comes to shadow, as they say, how do you get it done? And you can talk about risk and reward, and you can talk about all the strategy you can talk you can talk about all these things. All you want to do, you make the most beautiful sketches with how do you get it done on the ground. That's a whole another thing. And I remember Pete telling me in years ago too, is it one thing you'd have to learn. You've got to understand how to talk to the guide on the machine. That's another cutting through to the most simplestic way. I'm staying communicating, you've got to understand if you're expecting something to happen in terms of contour, how do you get that message through? And if you know how to do it yourself, if you're physically capable of running a piece of equipment and creating something yourself, it's a huge advantage because even if you're struggling to communicate somebody else, you can show an example. This is what we're talking about. This is this is how, and you start to build those relationships with the people who are making it happen. And it works the other way because when they realize you, first of all, have been willing to do that and secondly understand a bit of what they're going to that respect and appreciation is going to increase dramatically, and then communication is going to be much much better. So I've said that our guys, you know, we've got guys that have worked with us for years ago off and do their own designs and they're just doing some absolutely beautiful stuff. But they're able to do it because they're also not only that they can think about the design, the theory, the strategy and risk award, they're able to get it done on the ground. So particularly some of these lower budget golf course which they're all they're gonna be more one of those as time goes by. But when that those courses, if you have the ability to literally create your ideas yourself on the ground, you had a huge edge start because then the lower budget situations, well, I get this guy, he designed it, but he can also make it happen and work with the guys now. Years ago that was very difficult to do because you're either the designer or you were a constructor or a builder or something. So the design build thing back many years ago was you know, I'll say it wasn't looked upon so favorably, but it's absolutely the way of the future.
Speaker 2: He said that all the time.
Speaker 5: You find these younger like especially any Ali that's looking to do anything should and you don't have a budgets that get somebody that's a uper talented, but he can do all the work.
Speaker 3: And that's absolutely right. And I mean, you know, two of the guys who worked with us, Keith Repp and Riley Jones, what they did at Winter Park, the little nine whole course down there far Egypt. They did the most beautiful job. And it was a situation there simply it was not a budget if they had hired a quote name designer or something there with their whole budget, or if they you know, if they if they didn't they have a you know, a contractor actor Willison. I'm believe me, I'm very great admiration for golf course builders and they do fabulous work. But there's sometimes you just got to have a little bit of both and and to make it happen. And there's a prime example, and uh Dave Oxen and Dan Prompter who worked with us. They went out there to Wildhorse Gothenburg, Nebraska, in the tiny little town in the you know, the edges of the sand hills there in Nebraska, and they built us this eighteen year old golf course. It must have been fifteen years ago or so. It's still considered one of the best public golf courses in America. Yes, and I think, I think it may be considered the best, very low priced point golf course in America. And it's because they worked with a contractor and they worked with construction people do it, but they designed it and helped build it themselves with the with you know, the assistance of the golf course contractor.
Speaker 5: Do you think about the logic pres you hire an art intact who hires the contractor, two businesses are making a profit off of it. If you hire an architect that builds one business like, you know, like everybodyho's making them profit, you know, like you wouldn't be in business like but you're taking one.
Speaker 2: And then also that communication. The the whole idea is there's one last person and you know how much he hears it for you to make a decision, and it is for you and you're allowed to make it.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 3: The simple. Unfortunately, we're pretty good about that. It's not that big a difference. But yeah, I understand completing what you're saying. Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 2: So we do this overrated underrated. Second, so I give you this is the last thing we're doing. I give you a topic and you have to overrate or underrated. There's no properly rated. So we're going to start with Ben crenshops hunting.
Speaker 3: I would say it's underrating. I mean, I've watched Ben now for he and I've been business partnership. It's going to be thirty two years next month. It's just incredible, hard to believe, but you know, I've watched Ben from the town. He was absolutely one of the very best players in the world and probably recognizes the best putter in the world. And to today where he buys own admission with not calling himself one of the better players in Austin probably versus and that's left in the world. So and and and yet even to this day, his ability to roll the golf ball on putting service is just the thing to behold. He just is. He does it time after times, just the ability to visualize a line and get the proper speed and then to get the vault and just roll over and over towards the hole and almost invariably will end up either touching the hole or being extremely close to it. And you see it so often you just take it for granted, and it just you know, we were talking some earlier about people who are truly extraordinary. They're what they do make it look so easy even you believe you can do it. And so I've looked at this for years and ago I can do that. Well, it doesn't quite work out that way, you know, And so I don't know the be in an agreement of this, but three years men has extraordinary I say, even to this day, and I truly believe that that is a part of his heat. Can see the movement of grass and things on cutting surfaces in a way that I've never seen anyone else. And you know, I truly believe that's part of it. And of course he's incredible touch his build to just roll a poll from the proper line at proper speed, and it's so as as much as he's been touted as being one of the worlds, is not the world's best putters. I think his reputation is under state.
Speaker 2: I bet I bet that putters that can see a few matches over the year.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Ben I don't play for anything that, so yeah, I can't. We just start off. It's a given who's going to win, So it's the we go.
Speaker 7: From there, playing against a guy who, when it's anywhere with the twenty five feet year just utterly terrified that.
Speaker 3: The ball's going to go. Yeah, it's it looks like almost everyone's going to go on with it.
Speaker 2: Overrated, underrated, blind approp.
Speaker 3: Shots overrated meaning they're they're perceived as as bad in just in just in general. You know, they I just go the.
Speaker 2: Public perception is your basis.
Speaker 3: Well, the public perception I think would be that that's a that's a negative. You know, blind appro shots. I personally believe nothing Ben agrees to this. That in there in certain situations, you can't have anything more fascinating that a blind approach over the hill and get the top of the hill and look down there and see where did it go. And if the if the contours allow you to play certain shots and legally you get the ball, you know, perhaps you're the whole even on a blind shot. I think it's I think those are extremely interesting situations. Now you don't want to just overdo it. You know, it's bright. So if you from our perspective, if we're laying out a hole and the second shot is over the hill to a green, you don't see it. We will very very seldom lock down the hill where you can see it.
Speaker 2: Two hundred yard and longer part threes over eater under.
Speaker 3: I think there was there was a time iny that forgetting a little struggling and overrated and rated but either be more. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? It's we've built a lot along par threes, I guess partly because Ben I both grew up on courses that had them, you know, usually one really long part three. There was there was a belief you read the old golf architecture books, there was a belief that that that was a part of the game. Your ability to play a wooden shot into a part three in order to exhibit that skill, the accuracy as well as the distance into you know, into a part three was a significant part of the game. I think it's harder to do these days because the distance the ball goes and everything. You know, it used to be a two hundred and fifteen or twenty yard hole. It's just extraordinarily long. And it was it was a wood shot, yeah, you know, and now it's a same yeah. And so we go, really, so we're gonna build two hundred and eighty yard part three, We're gonna build three hundred yard Part three. That's when I think it starts to get I start to question. So I think that the change in the distance the ball goes has changed that equation dramatically.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was reading Donald when I goes Downal Ross's book.
Speaker 5: And yeah, there's a quote that was like the skill the truest test of skill is the long iron game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's so sad that now there.
Speaker 2: Drying to watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've said Dustin Johnson along he had one iron shot into the park four.
Speaker 2: Longer than seven iron last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the whole year. That's incredible. Yeah, I'm not I'm actually not surprised him.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: You know, you were talking about the Warren Course in under Dame. I was up there about three weeks ago, I guess, and we were doing a few little bunkers tweets and things for the Senior Open, and they were playing a collegiate tournament there that day, and there were some good, good teams there, but it wasn't like the best college teams in America. And yet I was just fascinating watching some of these young guys. I mean you just one after another after another after another, they were hitting the ball. I happened to know how far they were hitting because we've been measuring to some of these buckers and you'd have to stand there and wait from the hit. We were working that particular day, but had to wait for them as I just measured everything. They hit the ball two ninety five to three zho five in the air, in the air and you go, and then some of them beyond. But it was like, really, really, that's so when you do that, how long do you have to make the whole to not have a sevener?
Speaker 5: It's unsustainable. And then the problem is is that the distance advantage has gotten so high for the great players and it hasn't really gotten that, you know that it hasn't equally moved for.
Speaker 2: The regular player. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: One of the golf writers called me late last year by Trendy Forrest and he said, they so they're going to play the by announcer there next year, I mean in the eighteen And he said, so, what have you and Ben done to come back the huge advantages of the players have today in the distance. And I know the man thought I was just being Maybe he thought I was being disrespectful. I thought I wasn't. But I just will in generally made the course shorter and wider, and there's just this pause on his What I said, I said, don't mean that the sound probably is probably the way it probably came across, I said, But it's true, I said. We haven't worried about land We haven't tried to make the holes. I said, First of all, it's on one hundred and forty acres training for Here's it's on the landfill. You can't drop off the side of the land fell. You just you come find you can't make their holes. You just can't make me longer. So we weren't out there trying to. So how do we make this longer and longer and longer. We're gonna make fairways wide enough to have to choose a line, choose the wrong line. The longest players better choose a proper line or they will go through the fairway into something they maybe I like. So they have to choose the lines. And then that's what we're adding with. And then even a little bit short because generally speaking, the guys, the guys seem to struggle the most with distance control. It's not can you hit it far enough over something everybody can do that. Can you hit it precisely enough someplace and with the contours of the greens, being such that you need to land your ball properly, either short of a contour or over a contour or that sort of thing with if the if the turf is firm, then we feel like that's that's that's what we're doing. It also provides interest for the members and your guests. But you know we're we're not up. First of all, we don't really do tournament courses, but we do courses that sometimes they play tournaments on, and so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Reminds me that Aholt Sandhills.
Speaker 5: I think the pin was right about the Bombers Alliance not free for those the short part four and I hit a drive the first time around of the day right down the middle, smoked.
Speaker 2: I had like thirty yards in it and I stood there and I was like, I'm in the very worst spot. Yeah, absolutely, thirty yards right down the middle. And that's the last time around. I made sure to hit it as far left or I went left as far left as I could with the driver so I could have an angle in. And that's gonna be the fascinating thing about watching it.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be a completely different style off. So last overrated under ade.
Speaker 2: Get hit out of here. I gotta get home tonight. Pedal Beach, I.
Speaker 3: Don't. I don't know, Andy, how a huge amn Pedal Steach, I don't do. I think it's the best golf course I've ever seen in the world. No. Is it extremely interesting? Yes? Is it extremely inspiring? Yes?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: I guess in that case, I would almost have to look at an individual ranking. That's I think it's o rat or underrated to see, but just to just pick it in general out there, I don't know. Yeah, yeah, so I would, I would see generally it's probably underrated. That's a lie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. I think you see the whole photos in that place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's you know, I mean, am I partial discipherus point? Yes, you know it's But that doesn't mean that I don't think Pebble Beach is not extraordinary. What about positive? I've never seen positive. Yeah, I've never seen it, so I had no No, I've seen photographs of it, you know, early on and then later after Jim or being in tom Dog and work there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was there last week. It's the latest corpse. That's you know, just stuck in my head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what. Yeah, it's real. I can't imagine. It's not really good since Mackenzie lived there.
Speaker 5: It's it's the bad eyes something else. And you know, you look at that and it's they afforded one thousand rounds a year. So there's certain things there that And I think this is always something that gets lost, is that certain places can't.
Speaker 3: Be what other places are.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't mean that they're worse. That just means that this is a issue. But if you took that club, that course and with a ten.
Speaker 5: Thousand round exclusive club and you could, I mean, it would be out of this world.
Speaker 3: But it is so good everybody.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love the model that they had.
Speaker 3: There too in terms of blood.
Speaker 2: But yeah, enough, you gotta go.
Speaker 3: Yeah at some point, got some point.
Speaker 2: But thanks so much for the fact this was You're welcome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. Yeah, thanks for enduring the brutal cold today.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 3: And for walking around the park three cards. That was fun.
Speaker 2: That was enduring cold. That was fun.
Speaker 3: So thanks again, Okay, very well until next time.
Speaker 1: The Company of extat the Colts