Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my ball in a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Friday Friday Friday Bride egg, Lie.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to run off of the course. Welcome back to the Friday Golf Podcast. I am your host, Andy Johnason. Today I am joined by a couple of my colleagues at Friday Golf. Excited to chat with Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Lamannia as we do every month.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Today we are going to be talking about what I think will be the hot topic in golf in the coming weeks. The schedule moving forward. I think there have been a lot of rumors about what it might be, and you know, kind of the big through line of all the rumors, it's gonna be a lot smaller. It's gonna be a condensed schedule. There are a lot of rumors about when it might start. It seems like we're speeding towards a February to August PGA Tour schedule. Fewer events, more selective, you know, fewer players exempt into these fields. So I'm going to talk with Kevin and Joseph about this and kind of what we would like to see from the PGA Tour schedule. Before we get to Kevin Joseph, today's podcast is brought to you by our friends over at Golf Galaxy. Are you ready to upgrade your game? There's no better time to get dialed in for the latest clubs up and down the bag at Golf Galaxy. It's easy and convenient with in app booking or stop by your local store to schedule. Bring in your full bag of gamer clubs and our team will of thoroughly trained fitters will optimize every club in your bag to get you playing your best golf. I think this is a great way to do it. Bring your bag in. You can figure out like one of the great things that you can compare, like do I need a new driver? Do I not need a new driver? The best and easiest way to do this is to download the Golf Galaxy mobile app. I think you can schedule booking right in there for a fitting. You can schedule a fitting right there in your local Golf Galaxy. Golf Galaxies are just great places go, good places go kill time, go places go. You know if you go kill time, You'll probably end up buying some clubs. You try out the new Spider putters that are just you know, dominating the tour on their putting greens. My childhood is just filled with with hours and hours at golf galaxies. So visit Golf Galaxy, go to your local store, check out the mobile app, and start playing your best golf with fitted clubs. All right, let's get to Kevin and Joseph. All right, I'm joined by Kevin van Valkenberg and Joseph Lamania from Friday Golf, our monthly catch up.
Speaker 3: Boys, how are we any fantastic?
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I actually love this topic. So it feels like a huge news coming over the next couple of weeks. It feels timely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is I think this is a little precursor. I think next week we get the players next week or two next week, and it will be I think dominated by Brian Rollapse kind of press conference. He'll be his first one as a commissioner. And from you know, intel that I've gathered over the last few weeks from numerous people, I think a seismic schedule change is coming. I don't think this is any groundbreaking news to golf fans. I do think there are some some details in here that I'm just kinda gonna, you know, lay down what I've heard from a variety of sources of where this thing's going. And I think it's interesting. Everybody's been kind of battened around the scarcity schedule. I think there's going to be a, yes, a scarcity schedule, but it's also going to be a golf calendar that looks and feels similar to what it looks and feels like now. I don't think there's a huge seismic change coming when you see it in practice, we're i think speeding towards a tour that's like one hundred to one hundred and twenty players exempt. There will be you know, roughly twenty to twenty five events a year that PGA Tour runs on this top tier schedule. The way it would fill in outside of that would look a lot like Fall Series events, So that would be the type of event I think, like currently there's a misconception that it would like all the players that don't qualify for this upper tier tour will just go into Corn Fairy Tour and they'll be playing for Corn fairy tour purses. I don't think that's true at all. I think it'll be more in the four to six million dollar person, which I think is plenty of money to live for these guys. I think, you know, the big thing will be that they're I think that the attempt right now and we'll see where it gets to, is like a no exemption tour. You're you're either up or you're down, and that should be I think personally, if you if you want golf to be a meritocracy, as the tour often likes to puff his chests out that they're this great meritocracy, the truth is they aren't really a true meritocracy. But if they went this direction, it would be a meritocracy. So there'd be you know, roughly like twenty to thirty players churned up and down per year, and that's the way it would work. It would be like a single churn year. I think the one of the big emphasises of this schedule will be market media markets. I don't think this is a surprise with with the with Brian roll app and coming from the NFL, I think he understands that you need to play your sport in the in the biggest media markets possible. So you know, I think for this exercise, what we're going to kind of kick around is events that we like to see make this schedule. But let's start with the idea of obviously we're going to have the players in this schedule. The players is going to exist. The other thing that's going to happen is they are going there are going to be events in in the likes of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles. Those are definite cities that will have events. So I'm just going to take riv off the table. But then I'm going to also say that New York and Chicago will have events. There's likely going to be like a Boston event, uh maybe splits between two cities at one point, so you know that will be another event. But these these starved media markets, massive media markets that for incomprehensible reasons for the last ten years, haven't had regular events, whether it's Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, d C. They they are coming. Those are going to be events. And I think that like when you do the math on that, all of a sudden you're set with like probably five to six events that are going to be of these twenty and I think it's fascinating to talk about where the things go. I was speaking with a gentleman this week, this past week in Florida, who who who had looked into a tour sponsorship, and he was telling me, listen, like, the thing about it, you know, is you don't you don't even get a certainty at this point that your your event is going to stay in the market that you sign up for. So what that told me is the tour is ready to really change this to extreme measures where you know, a tour sponsor could sign up for an event, have it be their home base or whatever it may be, and then have that event change markets one year into the contract. Right, So I do think this is this is the direction it's heading. I think, you know, obviously some stuff that's been floated around various reporting. I know Amon Lynch has reported on this. The tour is looking at a schedule start around around February. But I wanted to get your guys as insight. Kind of the directive I gave you guys has come with the three events that you are going to stand on the table and bang your fists against the desk saying these must be a part of the schedule and we could kind of just jump off from there.
Speaker 3: All right, Joseph, I have got one that I'm ready to fire up, that I'm ready to kick off.
Speaker 2: If you're going to be upset if you take mine, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay. There's a lot of talk about that this tour should start at the WM in Phoenix. I disagree with this. I want us to go back to Hawaii and back to the Plantation Course. But here's my catch. I want a thirty six person field. I want two days of stroke play and then match play that goes down from a field of sixteen. All right, the winner of the FedEx Cup, the winner of the Players, and the winner of the four Majors are given an auto spot into match play, so the other ten guys are playing for seeds. This way, we still get to start the tour in Hawaii. We only have thirty six guys there, so you can basically take winners from last year. You can sort of fit in that, and we get an element of match play. It's a little bit easier sort of begin to the grinding season. We don't have to worry about shooting thirty under at the Plantation Course. Anymore. We still get an iconic course that is part of the tour's recent history, but we get to have match play, and the likelihood of Scotty, of Rory or whoever making it to the finals is increased by the fact that they're basically getting a bid into already through the stroke play. I feel like this is a great way to look at this. The real season probably hasn't truly started yet, but it's still more of a relaxed atmosphere. You're not playing a full eighteen every day. I feel like this is a great way to hold on to a piece of the tour's history and maintain some element of match play before your actual stroke play season begins.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not a post to what I was going to lead with, so I guess we're just gonna start with the argument here. Please, you've already alluded to it. I think waste management has never made more sense to kick off the season, and I think they have done everything well save for the event getting a little out of hand a couple of years ago. But how well the waste management works with a strong field the party element, I think it works incredibly well in its current date of the Super Bowl, a star studded field with every top player on the PGA Tour at Waste Management, I think would be one of the biggest spectacles in sport, and to me feels like the clear starting point for the year. I don't reject entirely your idea, Kevin, like I think there are people who have valid critiques of match play from the owgr standpoint, from how compelling is Sunday, from all of the how do you assign FedEx's cut points, and that stuff shouldn't get in the way of putting on a great event. So I'm with you to an extent, but I would if I were a commissioner of the PGA Tour Waste Management Phoenix Open is starting the season, I think it would be truly one of the coolest events in all of golf.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with that. I also just think that Hawaii could be kind of like a silly season kickoff. Have a skills challenge on Tuesday. There's only thirty six guys there, make it sort of light and fun. Everybody has to kind of participate in the media elements of it make there be like a you know, a fun kind of you know kind of what they did with this skills challenge of the Trump Course recently. Whatever the optim the Golf Games whatever, do that on like a Monday Tuesday. Then go into that and honestly, if you don't want to, like make it what the hero should be, which is like no OGBR points should be awarded. This is just a kind of a casual, fun kickoff to the tour's season.
Speaker 1: K I throw another idea out there with yours. I do like this event construct. I think it's really cool. It reminds me a little bit of they used to do the golf I think it was called the Grand Slam at the end of the year or it was like and it would be all the major winners would play effectively, Like I think that format was skins game or something like that. At course, I feel like it was in Hawaii at one point. I'm trying to recall childhood memories of watching that. What if this event occurred after the playoffs, like at the end of the year where it's the top thirty or whatever it's that, and what if that was like actually the closing event of the PGA Tour calendar where you get invited into this and there's a big Kittie. There's a skills competition and it's a coronation that being the closing event in August in Hawaii where you're then playing. You're able to set this TV this TV calendar, like you think about making a spectacle from television. You get your probably most most desirable television locale in terms of the setting, with like the greatest TV window. You could have this thing rocking and roll until eleven o'clock Eastern with no daylight concerns. And that's the way you set it up. You set it up at the back. Then you get this ability to start the season where you want to start it with with with with Scottsdale. I want to point out one thing I forgot to mention here with the schedule is like the way it would work from what I gather potentially is every event's worth the same. And if you're on this tour, you can set your schedule however you want. But if you skip, you get no points and there's no exemptions and there's no golden parachute. You know, it's set your schedule as you wish, but just know there's no coming back if you don't make it.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't hate that at all. I think that's why you have to choose. You know, you have to sort of strategize what you want, and sometimes guys are I mean, that's like the NFL playoffs. Every freaking game matters, doesn't matter if you get up for some games and down for others, Like it's it's a week to week. You gotta win all the things. So I like that idea. Make them make some of the stars go to courses where they think, you know, they could pick up points. Make some guys go to John Deere or whatever. If that's still gonna exist.
Speaker 1: I'm going to uh, I'm I didn't think I was going to do this. A week ago, I would have said, dissolved this event. I do think that the Honda Classic WOW should exist. I think South Florida. Yeah, and you can rotate it between a variety of courses. But if you're talking about starting the season in February, you're and they're talking about ending the season in August, you need a lot of venues that could host events in February, March, April, and that that limits where you can host. And as we've laid out, you know, with New York Chicago likely getting likely gang event, and there is it seems like desire to move Pebble and Riviera to a date that's better for the you know, the golf courses and when you're showing them, you need a South Florida event. You know, maybe it's not the Miami Championship or whatever they're calling the one that's going to trump derail, but like one South Florida event I think played in February. February slash early March. That is an awesome event because you get to see these guys go down and play in tough conditions. You know, Scott steals a dome if you kept am a Palm Desert on the schedule, which you might have to to accommodate this structure that they're looking to do. That's mostly a dome. I think guys playing, especially with the modern equipment setup, guys playing in really harsh environments and in South Florida is delightful that time of year. But it's just that win can be just a beast and there's something about that wind. It's it's similar to when you play in in the UK. It's just a wind that's heavy. It impacts the ball more often and I didn't. I didn't know I was gonna get to here. But watching Shane Lowry just completely self destruct down the stretch of the bear Trap a moniker, I dislike a golf course I would never want to go play myself. There's something about water, litter, lited, littered golf courses with heavy winds that I've found myself fond of. That there's there's fear, and that that felt like for me the first time these guys have been really tested, uh in a while. In a while on the PGH tour schedules.
Speaker 2: One thing you're kind of hitting on that I'm fascinated by that is the least of the tours. There's no chance Brian roll out. This is a priority for him. But as the schedule changes, like are the players who succeed on the PGA Tour going to change? Like for example, And I don't know that they're actually moving the West Coast to the playoffs, as that's sort of been rumored, Like I don't know how realistic it is to move Riviera Toy, but let's just say the West Coast swing kind of got moved towards the playoffs or later in the season. Only the top players ended up making it there, Like would you remove some of those guys who rely on the West coast, like the really good POA hutters. They're sort of fringe PGA Tour players, but that's where they get their points. Like, more broadly, to your point, I think the schedule should reflect a diversity of skill set and if you're gonna play in a dome in Phoenix, having a water littered test in South Florida also makes some sense. And then balance it out. You're gonna have other big tournaments. I'm sure we'll get to some of them, but it should be a variety of golf courses. And if they just go with their premier events and sacrifice a little bit of variety, it could have a small impact on which players maintain their status on the PGA Tour. I don't want to overstate it huge impact, but it's just an interesting thing to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Listen, I think you're you're hitting off something. The margins in golf are so so slim you're talking about, you know, especially especially for the fringe players. You know, your your Rory's, your Scottie's, your standards. They're gonna you tee it up at any golf course they're going to get through. But I do think you're you're spot on with like certain golf courses, like this is a good you know, the week of this podcast is bay Hill. Bay Hill, you hit like six or seven two hundred plus yard approach shots. It's the most heavy long iron course and on the PGA Tour calendar, and thus this week illuminates a skill that's not often illuminated at most PGA Tour courses. That's good. I would think about this, you know, in terms of golf courses, and I don't, you know, personally, and this is, you know, very much a personal opinion. I don't. I don't think the PGA Tour has people that really understand golf courses at a deep level. I think there are a lot of people that have worked their way up corporate ranks, and you know, I think the the overall golf IQ and the people that make the decisions about golf at the PGA Tour HQ is is very low and frighteningly low. But something they should be contemplating is how does our venue selection impact what skills thrive and what players thrive. And I think there's some courses everybody always points to Harbortown as a course that's you know, atypical than the PGA Tour set up. But they should be building a calendar and they should be branding courses with like I mean, there should be such a more robust discussion on the on the front end of events about how they are setting up the golf course, how the golf course sets up for different types of players and thinking about it. I think that like F one is a good example of you know, there's a lot of discussion about what the track will do and what type of drivers and skills are rewarded. And I think it exists in the gambling community with golf. But the PGA Tour should you set up as this huge thing and you know right now you know the I think the PGA Tour setup can be characterized as they want every every event to feel like a Marriott. And what I mean by that is when you check in at a Marriott, you know exactly what you're getting and it's like a comfy place for the players because they know, Hey, I just left Phoenix, I'm going to Pebble. You know, I know what I'm gonna For the most part, expect this week the green speeds are going to be X. The type of sand at the golf course is this is the same. You know, the te locations. They aren't going to move these te's around very much throughout the event. Where they put them, that's where they're going to be all week. Course set up, the ideology behind course setup should be so much more because at the end of the day, course setup is the defense. That is the defense, that is the foil to great play. And right now it's not even a part of the storylines of a PGA Tour event. In fact, the ideology at the PGA Tours that course setup should never be a discussion point an event. They've failed a course setup. If the course ever becomes a storyline at a PGA Tour event, and that, I mean, that is just flat out like ass backwards.
Speaker 3: So I think that gets into one of my next points is I think that they should stop putting the bad not the bad tournaments, the lesser tournaments in front of majors. You don't control the majors. That's an understandable part of the PGA Tour. But like for example, I think heritage should be in front of the masters instead of behind it, like heritage is one of your I don't care about, like it doesn't suit it. The same thing, Oh you can't hit drivers there or whatever, tough shit like part of Like that's a good course that tests people. You should want to like build interests and so it's peaking into majors. That's only going to benefit your product even more if people come out of your event being excited. So I think like, if you're gonna keep like the truest around, I would bump the players back to May and I would put like Quile Hollow right in front of that. That's gonna be one of your signature things. Have that lead into the players. I would put like, you know, a good Canadian Open course, like have that build into the US Open in June. We all know the Genesis like builds into the Open Championship. And then I think, like in going, if you're gonna put you know, tournaments for the this is like my my big galaxy brain take.
Speaker 1: We got to do away with.
Speaker 3: East Lakes, like the stop of the Church Championship.
Speaker 1: We have to rotate this, this is coming to an end.
Speaker 3: We have to rotate that into better courses, and they should be priority wise. Big city courses. I think like we just have the have there be like several crescendos throughout the season, and be trying to build to those each each time we're getting there.
Speaker 1: I think you hit on something super important here, and maybe I'll reveal my next course, my next idea thing I must have here. I do operate a golf website in various golf podcasts where we're able to track numbers, and as you hit on golf, interest is very high the week before a major and much smaller the Thursday through Sunday the week after a major. This is air, but unless unless our company is a comp outlier of every other golf So, I think you have hit on an important pack point here. And you know I had different events written down as my mustabs here, but you've swayed me my number two must have event. I want Atlanta, I want east Lake, but I want it the week before the Masters. Silently, yeah, you play Atlanta. You play That's a big golf course. It's you know, you can hit a lot of different shots, like there's not it's not impeding you from playing the way you'd like to play. They could set up the they could get that, you know, it's in a part of the country where you could go to the Overseed to mimic the conditions allah the Houston Open years ago. Massive media market obviously, and then you're making it really easy for your players. It's like, Okay, you're done Sunday. You got just a drive over, drive over to Augusta and and you start your you start your Master's week that way. I think that's a slam. Atlanta in August makes no sense, none whatsoever, other than for the corporate reasons that you have wound yourself into. I think the event east Like will play a lot better in April, and the event will be much better received. There won't be this angst about it being the season ending event in August in Atlanta. It'll be a god. I can't wait for the for the Masters, and it's so cool that they're just you know, they go from Atlanta to Augusta. So I did not expect myself to have this, but I'm starting to slaugh our schedule by the way I've got east Lake here and ahead of the ahead of the Masters.
Speaker 2: I think you guys are hitting on I don't believe there's a right answer to what kind of course you should play the week before a major. But so if you were gonna go through from FEBUS through the end of August, I believe that it's thirty weeks ish. We're talking about like a twenty two event schedule, so you're gonna have eight off weeks where they decide to slot those is probably the most interesting element to me. Like, I don't know that I agree that you should have a super difficult test leading right into a difficult major. Like Scotty has talked about Memorial taking a lot out of him. Was that two years ago and that that kind of impacted him in the short run after that tournament. So I think there is a place on the schedule for some of these lower tiered events like a John Deere that has been important to the history of the PGA Tour, and if some guys just choose that they don't want to play it, they're not skipping out on one of your most iconic venues. Like I actually think there's a case to be made for sort of a soft event the week before a major, but you would be sacrificing some of the entertainment value. That said, one of my tournaments that I think has to stay not maybe does not gonna be a huge shocked, but I think Memorial Tournament has to be a waiting for that.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It needs to be a part of the PGA Tour schedule, not only because it's one of the best tests that they play all year, but I think keeping the legacy of some of their best players of all time, whether it's through the Arnold Palmer Invitational, which I would imagine we'll find a place on the schedule, through Jack's event, Tiger taking the Genesis under his wing, Like I'm curious to see if Rory will end up with an event when all is said and done. Like, I think it's really important to stay anchored to your legends of the game. So as far as I'm concerned, Memorial absolutely belongs on the schedule. And maybe that's like two weeks before the US Open, you go, like Memorial John Deere into the US Open, some kind of cadence like that, but that event needs to be on the schedule.
Speaker 3: I had Memorial Canadian Open then US Open just so, but I think that's sort of I think it's important to sort of throw Canada bone continue to have that be a part of there's a lot of golfers in Canada, like I would love to play it at better courses. I had said, like Toronto is obviously the biggest media mark it there. You know, you could play it at the you know, the Toronto Golf Club, which is a Harry Cult design. You know, if they tear it up, so be it. Like that's a different conversation than like, you know, whether or not certain cities or certain courses should host things. But I will say the only thing I'll push back on is I acknowledge that golf is different than other sports, and so like Scotti, Scheffer's preference might be to have a you know, a nicer, easier test and the leading up into a major, But that is so like anti ethical to like how other sports work. Like Lebron would not be like, well, I just wish, like we could get an easy playoff series before, like we go and play the Eastern Conference final, Western Conference finals. You were like, well, he might say that, but like that doesn't really I mean the NFL, like would you know, would Patrick Mahomes be like, wow, we just need an easy you know, first round game before, Like that's that's not you have to fight for your life. That is not in the PGA tours like interest to make the US open easier for Scottie Scheffler, Like they should be like, yeah, well, I see the Memorial is like a little bit of a different things. Memorial is tough as hell, but like any of the other ones, like I would, I would have no issue like plotting those in front of majors like it. In some ways, that's that is the PGA tour'st job is to like test people the best they can and build the interest the best they can. I don't think they should be making it easier. They're basically saying, like, well, our product is inferior to those majors, so we'll just kind of, you know, throw them a bone and let them kind of do it as they like.
Speaker 1: I think this is a huge challenge for the tour, right, you know it. It is like a great point of Hey, listen, we we cannot be we cannot just be this like effectively like feeder tour for the majors in a way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They everybody's you know, everybody hates the demise of the European Tour into the fact that the European Tour is now a feeder tour for the PGA Tour. But in a way, the PGA Tour right now, in Golf's construct, is a means the PGA Tour success is a means to qualifying for the majors and qualifying for the Ryder Cup, qualifying for the Olympics. All these events are bigger than any of the PGA Tour owned properties, which is a huge problem for the PGA Tour. And I do think like this, this bending a knee. If I was running the PGA Tour, I do think the attitude of we have to always bend the knee to the majors is one that I would push against. Like I'm not saying we need to like seismically change things, but we need to do the things that are in our best interest to build these tournaments, each of these tournaments into valuable properties that get close to what the players has become. For the PGA Tour, you know, that's what they need. They need more events that reach that level. And I think, Joseph, you hit a really great point, and I think we could just automatically put these into the into the event Jack and Arnold. Arnold's events are not going anywhere. Those are auto ads. On top of the big markets on the PGA Tour, and I just want to point out that the schedule is a large at large. If I get my South Florida event that I think should happen, it's a nice little swing of API the way they have it now where you go South Florida API players, that's a great little swing. And you have twenty two events in thirty weeks. As you illustrate it that you need to cram in here. That's a really nice three straight week of cadence. And then you take a week off, right.
Speaker 2: It is impossible to figure out if you want to do the heard event the week before. I think that is the one of the key conflicts the tour has Andy, like do you been the knee or do you set these guys up for success at a major? Because to your point, Kevin, though, like if Scotty decides the best prep is to gep the event leading up to a major like that, that's also a problem. And I know people are probably I think these guys are pampered, but it is physically exhausting to play four days of a very difficult golf course, turn around, fly to a major and get prepped like I actually do think that's asking a lot of some of these guys, so I would push back a little bit. But that's where I'm kind of like, there's not a perfect answer. It is a series of trade offs, and in this case, I honestly would probably air on the side of giving them a little bit of a softer test leading to a major.
Speaker 3: So here's what I would say. Here's a little bit of a split in the two things. In solution. I think that the PGA Championship should move back to August, right. I think we're all kind of in agreement with that. More venues, whatever have it.
Speaker 1: On my mock schedule that I'm creating from this discussion in August, I think that is something that is going to happen once this calendar comes out.
Speaker 3: So let's obviously Open Championship's not gonna move, It's going to stay where it is. So it's late July. Say that it's like the twenty second through the twenty you know, fifth or whatever Open Championship. Throw by week in after the Open Championship, and then we're going to have before a tournament that is near the PGA Championship somewhere. So Dallas National in twenty seven it's before it's Frisco, so similar area. We'll play Pebble before Olympic in twenty eight, We'll play Liberty National before Baltstrawl in twenty nine, We'll play Caves Valley before Congressional in twenty thirty. Not only I'm sorry, but like that's just it's a big market. Like it's I've been on the tour schedule or whatever. If you want to have somewhere else you want to play Ironomic or you want to play somewhere else, you know whatever club Okay, Philly Cricket Club before Congressional in twenty thirty, But build some excitement in that market. So you've you've given them, you know, a play the Open Championship. Now you've got a week to kind of travel to rest to whatever. Reset. But now we're going to ramp back up as we get to either if you wanted to move the you know, the players later in the year or to the PGA Championshi Like we're crescendoing and they're making the players be like, oh, you know, I'm already in this area, so I'm going to play this. I don't think Scotty's gonna like not play you know, Pebble before Olympic in twenty eight or Liberty National before Baltis role like he's going to be like, I got to be there anyway, so I might as well play in that tournament. I think that's a good enticement. And not only that, but like you drive more people to go to a major, you're sort of building on this just sort of popularity of golf in general in those major metro areas.
Speaker 2: Fair enough one one that I would like to draft, since we're putting so much of this schedule, we're pushing, we're moving the PGA back like Andy to your point, finding venues early in the year is not easy. I did not expect to take this pick. It was way down my list, But I think Tory Pines should be on the schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what this does. Does. Everybody has these pie in the sky aspirations like it, and I had written down like international opens as, like the things I've banging my fists. But then you start the practice, the actual practice of making the schedule is extremely hard, and you end up with like, oh, actually, this isn't that bad.
Speaker 2: I think Tory Pines definitively belongs on the PGA Tour schedule. It does not only have the history, but it is a poa test. It is long irons and you are playing at the beginning of the years. Like the little schedule I had drafted up would start like Phoenix, Riviera Tory Pines and give you a week off, And I think that would be an unbelievably cool way to start the season that you are playing into the variety, keeping the Tours legacy alive. Tiger obviously so much history at Tory Pines. I think it belongs the golf course. The quality of the golf course is a completely different conversation. I share the sentiment it's poor design, but I think it'd be a shame to do away with Tory Pines. So despite it being like fifteenth on my list, I think he finds needs to get drafted.
Speaker 1: What's interesting about the discourse of kind of Riviera and how the course doesn't play the way it should that Kakuya just gets stickier in the summer, and then the greens get really firm, and it's becomes this course that like you can't run it up, but then the greens that you can't hold and it becomes a really kind of tricky tricky golf course.
Speaker 2: I also plays way shorter Andy, and that is something that needs to get discussed about. If we play Riviera in warmer months, you're gonna see exactly how out of scale that golf course is.
Speaker 1: So I don't mind. And I think, like, what the way Riviera is so good so often in that time slot. What you're talking about is like it's almost like a sixty forty good to back ratio. And I think that's okay. You know, golf's an outdoor sport. The elements are part of it. I'm okay keeping Riviera early in the year and we and I do agree with Tory. I think that's like a nice swing. Uh, it's a nice It is a hard golf course. I think it also allows you to move pebble somewhere to the to where you want it again, you getting like when you do this exercise.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: The tricky spots I've found with the schedule are like where do you go in like April and May, and where do you go early in the year because you have a lot of places you want to get in the summer, you know, with these big markets Scotland, if you wanted to add Ireland to the schedule. You know, if you those those exist only in a certain like there's there's less weeks than places you'd want to go at that time of year. And to me that that makes total It makes total sense to keep some of the California because there's only so many golf courses in the world, and Texas is unavailable at that time of year that you can play that time of year. So I agree with that. You know, I don't want to say this, but we got a schedule shaping up here, KVV. What was what was the second non negotiable event for you?
Speaker 3: Uh? You know, Andy, I'll tell you one better. I think there should be a whole I'm keeping the Florida Swing.
Speaker 1: I think it should go. We have the Florida Swing in locked in here.
Speaker 3: Cognizant Armor Palmer valspar is what I had. No. I think valspar is a good test. I think it's like it makes them hit unique interesting shots like you had Victor and Justin Thomas like having a pretty good showdown. It's hard to make pars if you miss fairways there. You have to work the ball both directions. I think those are good things I had. I brought this up earlier. But you guys are gonna hate this, hate this when I say this, But I think the Tour Championship should be at Shadow Creek.
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 3: It could be your most consistent, like five year spot, but it rotates so that, like I would love it if the playoffs. You know, this is a little bit different than what you guys are saying, but the playoffs went in August Pebble Genesis Tour Championship. It's you're in that side of the country, then you're on the West coast. You could then basically you could say the Tour Championship. You know, you only got thirty guys, so you could bring more sort of courses into play, but you should always play it in a major market. It could be in Chambers Bay one year. You could literally take it to Cherry Hills. You could go to Dallas National, you could go to you could even say, I don't care what these guys are gonna shoot, I want to have this one year at National Golf Links or Chicago Golf Club or somewhere where it basically is like a new interesting thing that builds like energy or whatever. But I think that that Shadow Creek look is not my favorite golf course. It is in kind of a major market. It is going to be like good weather. It is a time of year when you if you're building towards something, it tests pros in a way. We've had professional golf courses, professional matches there before, We've had women's matches there before. I think this would be a good solution to if you are having some of these, Like if Genesis really does move to be one of the playoff events, we are already on the West coast. Like it's a good it's better than East Lake. It's a way to sort of culminate towards it.
Speaker 1: All Right, So now we were torn here is Genesis a fall event or or a later season event or an early season event? You know, how do we think.
Speaker 3: Pebble is relevant too to this discussion?
Speaker 1: I think Pebble is more likely to go later than Genesis.
Speaker 3: The weather keeps affecting Pebble in a way that's frustrating, and it has started to happen to Genesis too. What if those were August events? And then that's why I ended up sort of I was like, where on the West coast could I have a tour championship and shadow Creek popped up, was like, you know what, Like that would be a natural kind of evolution if if we went Pebble Genesis Shadow Creek the way you had.
Speaker 2: It laid out, which I don't know. I like it personally, would be to have Waste Management, Riviera Tory start the year and keep RIV where it is. There's some issues with moving RIV to August, like do you have the Olympics coming. I don't know that it's a guarantee that we would get RIV late in the year and then do the for the playoffs, potentially something like Chicago, New York, Pebble.
Speaker 1: That's the way I had it laid out.
Speaker 2: I think Pebble would be a really cool place to end the season, or Kapalua since we had thrown that out earlier. But I don't know. I think ending the year on the eighteenth at Pebble Beach makes a lot of sense to me. So I don't love Shadow Creek, and to Andy's point, it would be pretty hot, but they are worse. I'd be fine with it. The Tour Championship's not going to.
Speaker 1: Be that good no matter what, so Shadow Creek would be an intro what you know, I don't know enough about Vegas. Could Shadow Creek slide in to like February good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just think with Vegas you get like the spectacle, right, you get the sort of you know, goof we know it photographs like relatively well, you know, it fits in with some of the things that the tour values, like a big sponsorship partners, you know, gambling partners like all that stuff. I feel like you could you could basically, you know, have the players kind of do other events or other sort of social things in Vegas that would be kind of compelling. I don't. Look, I don't love the golf course, but I do think that there is some value in it if you're on the way, if you need a West Coast event. Especially part of what it is is like too. I don't know would Shadow Creek Coast one hundred and fifty guys know, but like thirty guys like they probably would be on board with that kind of field.
Speaker 2: Look from a content standpoint, I think I'm in on thirty of the best golfers in the world spending a weekend in Las Vegas, So it's starting to make a little more sense to me.
Speaker 1: Kevin, I'll go with my decks has to happen the Scottish Open. Scottish Open has to be on this schedule. I think it's in a great spot the week before the Open. I think there's literally nothing they have to change. This is a layup. This as easy as it gets. I also want to appease our international audience that is probably screaming at the top of their lungs at minute of forty two of reshaping this calendar and not one mention of an international event. So I am playing to a portion of our audience here. But I think this is delightful viewing. I actually think, you know, underrated in terms of TV. Maybe the numbers don't bear this out perfectly, maybe the numbers are down. But for busy individuals and your core like livelihood golf fan, it feels like to me in July, it's easier for me to watch golf early in the morning than it is for me to watch golf at three pm in the afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday. This is just anecdotal of my life. I'm sure other people share this sentiment, where if I watch a golf from the hours of you know, if I'm in Central or East Coast time. If I watch a golf from the hours of like seven am till ten am, I'm probably gonna much be able to watch that more often than three to five pm. You know, that is a primetime golf viewing hour for you know, I think golf does so much to appeal They attempt to appeal to the mass audience so often, but the reality is is that what it always needs to do is appeal to the core audience who evangelize the sport to others. Golf is going to attract and has been attracting so many people in the recent years, and it's not because of any of the BS Grow the Game initiatives. It's because people are realizing it's a freaking awesome sport to play. So show the best versions of golf in the in the truest form Scottish Open before the Open Championship, and if I was going to say, you know, I think they should just tack on the Irish right after that and that should be a three event swinging there, everybody, pack your bags. It's European vacation time for for the PGA Tour and we go to we go spend spend some time in Ireland and the British Isles. You're going after after the Open before after so.
Speaker 3: Irish Open is usually in September, right, it's like beyond, it's after the sense of the tour season. Isn't that where they had it slotted in the schedule? Yeah, I wonder. I worry that some people might skip the Irish Open after the Open Championship.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing with where you slot it at the end of the year. People near the top of the standings skiff, but if you're anywhere near relegation, you know what you're not doing. You're not skipping. That's the beauty of the end of the season. And the cutthroat aspect of this is that your end of the season events become musty TV because of potential relegation, but also there must attend events For anybody that's like fifty plus on the stand they're like, oh, I can't miss this. I cannot risk losing this gig and going down. You know, this is the beauty of removing exemptions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ay, I listen. You threw a sort of a shout out to our international listeners. There there's a scenario of this where I was grinding over this last night, I wanted to start the season in Australia, and basically like Australia is the Australian Open is the start of the PGA Tour season. You don't you skip it. Whatever you're you're way behind in points, it counts just as much. And I also was like looking at, oh, you know what, maybe like the national opens here, if we're really going to have, you know, an agreement where the PGA Tour and the Deep the World Tour or have this kind of you know, symbiotic relationship, then the French Open, the Dutch Open, the Spanish Open, those should be on the calendar. Now. I don't know that a lot of players, I think there would be a mutiny if they tried to sort of go with that. So I don't know if you can get more than like the Scottish and the Irish involved in that. But I one hundred percent agree, like it's the Professional Golfers Association Tour, it's not just like the American Golf Association Tour. I would love to force them to haul down to Australia and throw Australia bone of the way that the PGA Tour kind of basically ruined golf in Australia for a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think, what's a fascinating exercise here is you know, and we're not going to do this on this pod, but if you started, if you're operating from the vein of the tour beneath this is four to seven million dollar purses and these are going to be what feeds into the best tour in the world. I think in a way that those players are going to have way, way less power, which is one of the big reasons why I think a world Tour calendar or calendar isn't going to happen. Is like players don't want to be away from home. But guess what if you're relegated down, you become, you know, much less powerful and maybe that's where you also want to grow your international audience. You you know, these are things that you know that Brian Rolapp would like to do if he's following any of the NFL playbook and their expansion. So we want to go there. We want to cultivate the best the best international fields we can get in terms of like are the tour should be a representation of the best of golf. Maybe that is the place where you get your French, your Dutch opens, your French opens, your Spanish opens, your you know you, you go to the South African Open, maybe there's you know and players of those countries can go play there that even if they're in the top top end of the tour.
Speaker 2: I have come to the realization that the PGA Tour should not have the Australian Open and some of these other opens. To Andy's point, go lay this out on paper and look at where the Australian Open could potentially slot in. It is very difficult. And beyond that, I actually don't want the PGA Tour taking the Australian Open. That we would be doing, we'd be playing preferred Lives at Royal Melbourne. I think the best thing the PGA Tour can do is condense the schedule to February to August and then get out of the way and let other events succeed and the Australian Open could be built up because it's in December, Rory's going there, whoever else is going there. Just stay out of the way of the rest of the golf schedule. I think that would be my vision for the PGA Tour. But again, slot it down like thirty thirty weeks, twenty two events. If you can figure out a place where the Australian Open makes sense and it is feasible with travel, more power to you, because I'm I don't see it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. So if you want it, if you said, hey, Joseph, I hear you, let's start there in February. You start there and then you have an immediate week off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't do it.
Speaker 1: Somebody's prove us wrong. They're going to come at us.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: Just let it be in December.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing it's an amazing event in December.
Speaker 3: I yeah, you know golf.
Speaker 1: You know the thing is it could be just golf nerds little sanctuary in December. Yeah, without PGA Tour rule to soften greens. And it's great for lives.
Speaker 3: Think about how many times in our life we're going to see Scotty play Roe Melbourne maybe once, Like there's just no other real like I want to somehow force the best player of this generation to go down there and play that kind of golf. And obviously, like inconvenience is a lot of other people, but like as people who value the history of the game, it just it feels like Scotty playing roll Melbourne in some scenario is a thing that I really want to see and I don't know how to make it happen, but I sure would like to figure out a way to do it.
Speaker 2: I think there's an argument Kevin that the prestige of the event should be what attracts him, and maybe, like Rory going, Scotty realizes like this is a really cool event to win. I'm going to go play in December, even though I'm not forced to like that. I think that is the answer, and forcing him to go, he might still not show up.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's take a quick break to talk about our friends over at golf Shot. Golf Shot is golf's most powerful and trusted on course GPS scoring stats and auto shot tracking app with more than five million active users. It's designed for Apple and Android devices and has a stellar four point eight rating. It's been featured by Apple as the best app for golfers. It it's real time GPS distances for more than forty seven thousand courses and attracts accurate distances per club. Provides automated stats unless you review your track shots post round to see your strokes gained analysis. Check out the free edition of the app in Apple's Store or Google Play and upgrade for all the unique and powerful features of golf Shot Pro. Thanks to golf Shot And let's get back to Kevin and Joseph.
Speaker 3: All right, what are we missing?
Speaker 1: Well? Who has any does anybody have any events that they must have?
Speaker 3: I think the BMW has consistently been like the one good playoff event, like over and over the last ten years.
Speaker 1: And I would we're going to call that the Western Open presented by BMW. I just had typed that onto my schedule. It needs to needs to relinquish to day and go back to its history. Personally, I do not think it should be a shrunk field. Okay, I think it's I don't know, in this current setup, if the playoffs should exist, interesting, it should just be like, okay, it's relegation and there's bonuses paid to the top ten.
Speaker 3: So it's like a Premier league setup where there's no playoffs. You just got to position yourself all throughout the season.
Speaker 1: Like a farcical you know, utopia that the tour created of thinking that they're going to create something out of thin air that has no soul and no history that's going to contend with the majors. The majors are the playoffs of golf.
Speaker 3: That's true, people, No matter how much the players like, it's the winner of the regular season, who really feels like they're the FedEx Cup champion anyway? So why like, why muck it up with adding a playoff into it? I could get on board with that.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be a favor of a tour championship, but no playoffs. Like I could see a limited field some potentially match, but I know that always gets thrown around. I'm supportive of that idea, but like something at Pebble that's thirty six golfers or you know, the top thirty or Kevin your your Cappalou idea, Like, I think I'd be in favor of that. But the idea of this down to seventy, down to fifty, down to thirty playoff, I think it's tried and proven that it does not work.
Speaker 3: I have an interesting thought here. It kind of flips the question on it's here, what is something that does not survive the cut? What is something that is just you do not see a room for it or you have no like emotional attachment to it. What gets left behind in this schedule, the good good Championship.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think Harbortown. I think Harbortown can get left behind. That's probably the most high profile one that I'd be completely fine just saying goodbye to Wow.
Speaker 1: I'm all, you know, I think the Travelers at TPC River Highlands has to be Sunset y see you and Valhalla.
Speaker 2: I think Colonial can be Sunset. I even like Colonial, but I think.
Speaker 3: I think Colonel I would as much as like, you know, history might declare that to be such a spitting in the face of history of the game. It's just not that interesting to me. It's not a you know, I'm sorry, there'd be a weepy thing where Scotti talked about how you know he'd always grown up going to that event and whatnot. But I just not h I'm not going to stick my neck out to save it in Jude TPC, what about the children, Joseph.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to uh, I'm going to just lay out something we had, Kevin. We have sokatratictory statements from you that I have a trouble flushing out where Chicago THEW is a playoff event, but then you have the Shadow Creek and all of that. Yes, so the playoffs is like six events.
Speaker 3: What you asked me to put together some thoughts, and that I put it together with the idea there would be playoffs. But then we're like reversing it, saying no playoffs. I'm just trying to get us into big markets. As you can see, like I can see why Tiger can't be the Ryder Cup captain because this is just a Jenga piece here that he can't pull one thing out without the whole thing collapsing.
Speaker 1: I need somebody to be the counter of this, and I'm just gonna lay this out. Okay, Phoenix, Riviera, Tory Pines, South Florida event that could bounce between Palm Beach and Miami. Just right there, Arnold Palmer, which is locked in players. Then we have Eastlake Masters, the Giant Hole after the Masters, Valera, Well, we're going to get into the hole. We're gonna run through the hole.
Speaker 3: More keeping you're keeping the players in March in this center as of now.
Speaker 1: Okay, unless I hear any advice, you know, we could you know, valspar Is in the mix here. So there was one vote for vals bar I also the only.
Speaker 3: One who brought up Quail Hollow, like brought up the truest.
Speaker 1: I think the truest could go into the after the Masters. That will do Quail Hollow after after the Mass, after the Masters. That makes sense, it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be the Rory McElroy Invitational in twenty five years.
Speaker 1: I think that. I think it like falls around his birthday every year too, which is actually like additively hilarious that like it is his birthday and he wins all the time at this venue. It does feel like it's just that would be perfect, not the Irish Open. Yeah, I can see a.
Speaker 3: Sixty eight year old Rory like shooting his age, you know, Laura palmer Zilia, I'd ever do it on the right at seventy two and so I can see like an old Rory coming out there and scraping together. At sixty nine it's bunkers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody else can fly. So we got kuil Alo Memorial. Is somebody counting this sort of I think you're at eleven Quail Hollow Memorial US open another hole here, Scottish Open Open Championship, Irish Open.
Speaker 3: I'm trying so hard to keep the Canadians off our back. I've brought up the Canadian Open three times. Sorry, guys, just keep running right past it.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's put the Canadian Open after the US Open.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: I agree, that has to be.
Speaker 3: Big of you.
Speaker 1: Scottish Open, Open Championship, Irish Open.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then I've got Western Open presented by BMW. You. We've got the Private Equity and Banking Championship in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Liberty National, maybe.
Speaker 1: Pebble Beach, Hey, Hawaii PGA Championship, that'ship.
Speaker 3: PG Championship closes the whole season.
Speaker 1: Then it would be cool. I think it would give them actually, like some good exposure. I don't know how many events that is. It was close, it was close twenty. I mean we're at twenty events, so there's like so that that just gets you an idea. We have no Texas events, so I think like you could just slide in a Dallas event, in a Houston event in some pockets and they fit perfectly in the pockets that we need. Right, that gets you to twenty two. We haven't touched like DC, Philadelphia or Boston. I mean that's basically how you get to twenty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we're John Deere gets got in this Puerto Rico obviously gets got. Travelers got got.
Speaker 1: I think the framing shouldn't be who gets God okay, because the the tour below is not. It's not like that's basically what we watched at the Cognizant last week. I just hope there.
Speaker 2: I do think it's important that there's golf every week and that guys have the option to play so andy, I'm fine with that. If it's a blend, I would hope that Shane Lowry's of the world still are playing that, either to get reps or there's some reason they need to play. But I think there should be golf every week.
Speaker 3: Even if it's like a tour. I mean yeah, I mean that's you know, look, Premier League soccer teams play like meaningless games against like smaller division things all the time. Like I think there's there's a really compelling argument to being like, if you want, if you're a true golf sicco go play in like this. You know, smaller event guys used to do it all the time back in you know, Jack Nichols playing in the Portland Open, you know where he's like the only person in the field who's any good. Like there used to some of the stars used to travel around and be like, yeah, of course I'm gonna play in this. I want to get my golf in.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing that they should explore, but they probably wouldn't, is the idea of rotating events that like some events that you you know, I think like you should look at the likes of, Okay, if you want to have a Chicago mainstay event, that doesn't mean that you can't have an event that that is on this calendar that alternates between Indianapolis, Detroit, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee, and that's like this this other Midwest event, right, you have Ohio covered. I think you could do like an event that alternates between Washington, DC and Philadelphia, an event that alternates between I don't know, maybe it's Boston in another city or maybe you know one of those cities where an alternates between there. You could have an event in Texas that alternates between San Antonio and Austin and accomplish that. Like, I think that there has to be some events that kind of float around. In some years they're elevated, some years they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just would like to say, I think the Pacific Northwest gets constantly screwed in this.
Speaker 1: Well, we've screwed them again, we did.
Speaker 3: I feel like Seattle, you know, it's so the fifteenth biggest market I think in the country, or the free biggest metro city. Like it just seems it's frustrating to me as someone who grew up, you know, kind of in the Northwest, at least in western Montana that was always like Seattle. Portland area was like the area where I wanted to live and make my life. And there's just golf has been totally abandoned there by tours and majors and everything.
Speaker 1: I think the spot for us at the end of the year, but then goes to what are you moving out? Where? Where? How are you moving?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: This is that again? As Joseph said, I urge you to try and put this down on paper. It's really hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I might drop my thing as a as a written piece here and just let people rip it apart, because I'm sure there are massive contradictions throughout it. But at least it would be as a fun exercise. I mean, I have more events than we discussed here, but I think it would be fun kind of way to be like why not, What's what's so bad about this?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: The other thing about the Pacific Northwest one of the hard things for the PGA tours venues m I would I would guess that if the tour went to Chambers Bay, who's just been completely left in the dust by the USGA, you know, just completely.
Speaker 3: They screwed Chambers Bay by cutting it down so badly and then the basic abandoned it. Then what a what a raw deal for chambers.
Speaker 1: They could go, I bet go to Chambers Bay. And if they said, hey, we want to have the best players in the world come here every August. The weather it's going to be perfect, the course is going to be perfect, it's going to be incredible scenery. Will you host every year? I think they would say yes.
Speaker 3: And it's like a.
Speaker 1: Venue that it would be in that immediately in the top tier of PGA tour venues, because that is like another aspect of this discussion is like where are they hosting some of these things, like who's saying yes to the song and dance all all the time? Because you know, if you said, Okay, we want to do Chicago, You're going to have to rotate between Medina Olympia Fields and Conway Farms, and there's there's not really other venues that can host. And at that point, if one of them says no thanks, because the PGA moves back to August, and all of a sudden, you know, when you move the PGA back to August, guess what happens for the tour? All lot harder to get the venues you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's one thing I was thinking last night. It was mowing this over.
Speaker 1: Do we live in a.
Speaker 3: World now where the PGA Tour should if it really wants to have a certain course, basically throw out the idea of like the fan on site experience. Be like, this is a digital product. This is something so like could we take thirty guys to Pacific Dunes? I know, like obviously it's not super long, but could we take thirty guys to Prairie dunes to sand hills and basically just present it just as a TV product so we don't have to worry about ticket sales, we don't have to worry about setup, we don't have to worry about you know, can this site host all the sort of tour trucks and all that stuff, I think there is a world in which we showcase like a really great course and when we don't, like Cyper's point, probably don't want to have twenty five thousand fans. I'm sure they don't. Pine Valley certainly doesn't want that, but they might say, yeah, give me your best thirty guys and we'll play like an event here that's just a TV broadcast. I think that would be a really cool way to sort of open up some different cool places that don't want to have every you know, riff raft coming through their doors, but would be fine with the top bros doing it.
Speaker 2: I think it sounds interesting to watch. I don't know how that fits into the schedule and the points and status and all that.
Speaker 1: Plus I think.
Speaker 3: Beyond off season event likeeeding, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think even beyond that, if you want to have some of the it's not just fan infrastructure that those places don't have, Like it's driving range length and maybe you don't care about that. Guys can only hit irons to get ready. But I think there are a lot of logistical complications and trying to get that many people to the golf course, even if you're not worried about fans airports, lodging.
Speaker 1: I don't think airports are actually important for I think, like listen, tgl's chartering players back to West Palm Beach to to play in their you know, made for TV matches. The reality is like the money on this tour is not going down, and the top there's more a larger subset of the tour is flying private than ever before, and that number is not going down. So I actually think airports if you if you throw out the fan need is less.
Speaker 2: I just think cameras and shot if you want to have shot link towers, which I think people do. Like, there's a lot involved in bringing a tour event to a golf course, and I would be pretty skeptical. Yeah, I'd be skeptical that.
Speaker 3: I mean, they host the us AM though at Bandon, like they they've hosted the USAM at or you know, the various Curtis Cup at National Golf Links, Like it's not like there hasn't been high level golf events at some of these courses where we're just like, oh no, there's no chance. You know, the Usam's people hit it pretty freaking far.
Speaker 2: But who's playing in these events if it's not part of the PGA tour schedule. It's the fall you're trying to how you get You're just doing like a WGC type one off with the top thirty players in September, Like, I don't know the guys are going to I don't know how compelling that would be.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the other aspect of this is like the tour if I you know, this is another thing I'd do if I was running this tour. You see the popularity of YouTube golf. They've tried just kind of the foray into YouTube golf with an ill thought out creator classic like Okay, we're going to bring a live golf to YouTube, unproduced. I think the reality of like how you do this is you do post produced golf that is ala YouTube and you do that and it's like a whole new line of business for the tour, whole new type of golf that builds interest in your core product. That would make a lot of sense to me. Again, you know, giant corporations are are usually not the places for you know.
Speaker 3: Fresh ideas that that.
Speaker 1: Come out like with like great ideas that they aren't on entrepreneurial hotbeds, So you know what they'll end up doing is like larding it up with commercials and production and then say, our gambling partners say this cannot be post produced, so you can't do that, and that's why you get stuck where you are.
Speaker 3: I would just say that Netflix and Amazon are so interested in getting more involved in the live sports game, and so I feel like you could carve out something that's separate from the PGA Tour and basically be like, yeah, this is like we got ten guys here at sand Hills, and Netflix is like, you know, showing this you know event in December and you know or wherever the time that would fit for the weather wise, Like, I think it could be a cool opportunity to have something different to showcase like some of America's best courses that for the most part, like the average PGA tour pen probably doesn't even like think about ever roll up.
Speaker 2: I think relap's going to shoot that down though for the scarce issue, which I honestly I would understand, Like now, if we're not doing these one off events haven't worked, We're not doing stuff in the fall, people need a miss golf, and then we're coming back in February. I think there is some wisdom in that.
Speaker 3: I'll be really interested to see what Rollap says next week because I think a lot of people have myself included, have interpreted what we think his beliefs are on a lot of this stuff. Yes, he's talked to some people, whispered some things here and there, but you know, a lot of it is just like, oh, he wants to follow the NFL model, and you know that's probably mostly true, but I don't know that it is entirely like I just think there's been a lot of like assuming what he believes based on where he came from. And I hope that he will expound up on that a little bit, and you know, scarcely I think it is going to be part of them all he did, I think mentioned some of that and in come of his talks, But I don't know that it's quite going to be like as brutal as the NFL. He's going to have to listen and respect to some of this stuff about you know, he's not gonna just like throw Ryan Moore over the edge of the boat and be like sorry, dude, like it's it's over you. It's going to be a transition into because if you looked at it like from a purely ruthless business standpoint, like you wouldn't keep the Champions Tour around. And I don't think that's going away.
Speaker 1: Tigers.
Speaker 3: Wait, Tiger's sitting Tiger's going to protect that. Tiger wants a place for himself to play. And so even if you're like roll up and you're like this is a dumb thing, you're not literally sitting in the room negotiating with the biggest you know, Champions Tour asset of all time and being like sorry, man, like it's going away. He's going to say no, freaking way are we signing on board with this? You know, we still have some of the power in this discussion as well.
Speaker 1: All right, lost lost of mall and I think we'll probably have a lot more answers. But I thought this was really fun to start to kind of sketch this out with with kind of where the direction of this is going. I'm curious. I think, like the reality is we just laid out the the ideal, and what ends up happening is is some of the some of the bigger partners on the tour their thumb on the scale and we we get TPC River Highlands on the schedule.
Speaker 3: I los I ride for I'm sorry, I ride for the Travelers.
Speaker 1: It was Joseph. It was Joseph's schedule. Just be TPC San Antonio, followed by Memorial.
Speaker 3: Every other week they play the Travelers with Hickory's you know something that makes it compelling interesting? I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks guys, everybody get get at us with your with your schedule. The parameters are you know, twenty to twenty five events ish and in February to August. All right, big thanks for listening to another episode. We'll be back next week with a player's preview. I will be joined by the PGA Tours Ace editorial man of frequent guest on this podcast through the year, Sean Martin. I'm excited to chat with Sean. It's been been a minute since we talked. We'll talk all things players for next week. Big thanks to PJ as always for editing and producing this podcast.