Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three one four, Episode three of Daily Zai I Stay production of iHeartRadio Yop. Yeah, Sure, sure is. This is a podcast where we take a deep avenue American share consciousness. And it is Wednesday, November twenty second, twenty twenty three. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Coming Hop on our pod. Coming Hop on our Pod. We've been waiting for you. We've been waiting for you. Where that takes are all hot and fresh and new Daily's I guess for you. That is courtesy of Eleas with the Hot Takes, who says, because the threes Company team has been stuck in my head for days, she's gonna spread that mind virus to the rest of us. Anyways, thank you at least trade AKA, and I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat by one of the very faces on Mount Zitemore, a hilarious and brilliant producer and TV writer. You know him from the US this racist podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Andrew Too and AKA Andrew T. Thousand is the album New Blue Sun. I'm in Atlanta right now, so.
Speaker 1: On my mind thousand.
Speaker 2: It doesn't kind of doesn't make sense, but it not really makes a little sense.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love it. Have you been listening?
Speaker 2: I did the other night actually, but it.
Speaker 1: Was love it.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a very passive listen.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's meant to be listened to passively.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just did my second listen today and really loved it. I was like, oh, these are like getting like.
Speaker 2: So here's here's the thing with me, is that like I put it on when I was I had some folks over for dinner a couple of days ago, and I put it on. But I I like, you know, and when Spotify got to the end, it just continues playing other flute you know, like like similar music.
Speaker 1: Yeaeah.
Speaker 2: So I just didn't realize when it started and when it beges. So I could not tell you if I like it or I liked.
Speaker 1: Some oh yeah, or you liked some other thing like a middle school flute recital.
Speaker 2: I liked what the algorithm generated off of it, Like the whole experience over a few hours was very good. So I assume I like it.
Speaker 1: There you go, well grammatic like, yes, we are thrilled to be joined in our third and fourth see what Yes, it's one of those studios cramped the studio is crammed, it's sweaty. We're all just elbow to elbow in here. They're the hosts of the podcast Celebrity Book Club. There are times when I'm doing research for the guest and I start listening to their podcast or their stand up special and I can't stop. And that's what happened to me this morning. So good news, bad news, good news, great guests, bad news. My takes in the news section are going to be really half baked because I spent the morning listening to their Britney Spears episode. Please welcome Stephen Phillips, Horst and Lily Morano. Hello, what's up, guys?
Speaker 3: Wow you flatter?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you really do good. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm a listener now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, join the club. Join the hundreds of people who listen to our podcast every week.
Speaker 1: It's so fun. I learned so much about Brittany. Yeah, it was just you guys are really fun to listen to talk about Brittany. And I feel like there's always people who read celebrity books and like celebrity autobiographies, like always come away with great stories. So I'm looking forward to kind of digging in.
Speaker 3: These are the stories we need to tell our grandchildren.
Speaker 5: That's why we do it, just to you knowing.
Speaker 4: You know, little giant is gonna be on my knees. We say, Daddy, I guess Granddaddy, tell me more about that best from twenty twenty three, you're like, well, gather around shelter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not always like the big Zeitgeist like your Your most recent episode, I guess is the Nancy Kerrigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: We like to switch it up, you know, when everyone zigs. We liked to zag, but sometimes you have to zig when everyone else is ziggy, and otherwise, you know, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: She she used to be cut a Zeitgeist person. But yeah, I'd like to, you know, bring former zeite Geist people back.
Speaker 4: Into the for a second. Yeah, regeist them, regeist.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the good news is this week the media tries to make it so that no news happens on purpose this week. I guess they really like clear the decks so that people at TMZ can be home with their families or whatever. I do. I do still remember Tiger Woods getting like didn't he have a thing over Thanksgiving holiday where he like got caught drunk driving or like bagged that.
Speaker 3: The big the Big Tiger.
Speaker 1: It was like the first that. Yeah, it was the first one where it was like, oh, Tiger Woods gets drunk and he was like blacked out and the like I don't know, there was something with a car and him like passing out and getting hit in the head with something. You know.
Speaker 5: I think his wife hit him with the car club with the golf club, with.
Speaker 3: The golf club because she found out he cheated.
Speaker 2: And what's lying around the house, like what are you going to.
Speaker 1: That's just that's what they were eating their Thanksgiving dinner with was just various golf clubs. That's what they use at the table. And then of course the JFK assassination, which was the Tiger Woods getting hit with a golf club of a previous generation. You know, everybody remembers where they were. But all right, well we're going to get to know you guys a little bit better.
Speaker 3: You guys.
Speaker 4: You know, I will say, my mom's obsessed Tellian this story about how she remembers where she was when JFK was assassinating she always says, And the nuns wheeled in the televisions, and you know, they all watched Walter concorde or whatever. But that would sort of suggest that they weren't all gathered around the turkey table.
Speaker 1: It was a week so it was the Thursday before Thanksgiving. But the anniversary is tomorrow, so I guess this is a very early thing.
Speaker 3: What is time?
Speaker 1: What is time? Really, Dan? And but yeah, it was so Thanksgiving that year was the twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a late ass thanks Giving.
Speaker 4: A late giving.
Speaker 1: You see what happens when you have a late Thanksgiving like that? People get cranky, die, people die people getting cranky, and presidents get milk. So anyways, we're going to talk about that because it is the anniverse of the JFK assassination, and you know, I love talking JFK assassination. We're gonna we're gonna take a look at the strange world of JFK assassination tourism. We might talk about X suing media matters for doing a story on them, just like doing reporting the facts about how many Nazis there are all of that, plenty more. But before we get to any of it, we do like to ask our guests, Steven Lily, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's okay, okay, deep.
Speaker 3: Take me out to dinner first.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't know if this that counts as search history, but I went down a Wikipedia hole last night while I was trying to fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll allow it.
Speaker 4: I don't know how this happened, but it was like three am and my boyfriend, Yeah, that's right. My boyfriend was a sleep next to me, and you know, he's snoring away and I was playing Solitaire. It wasn't really working, and I was like, what's gonna What's gonna calm down this crazy brain of mine? You know what's gonna tonight? I ended up on the Wikipedia page for K two, the second highest mountain in the world. I don't know if y'all are familiar.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think there's a movie called K two, right.
Speaker 4: That's I mean, there's a ski brand called K two, So why wouldn't there be a movie. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I hadn't no, I just thought it was a ski brand. I had no idea it was a mountain.
Speaker 1: Wake Up. My favorite movie Burton. I love that movie.
Speaker 3: Give my movie a favorite movie, Volcom Burton and Vams.
Speaker 4: If there was an Oakley movie, I would watch.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, wrapper around shades the film franchise based around the wrapper round.
Speaker 3: Oscar winner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not pure Oscar bait.
Speaker 4: They could have that scene, do you remember, Lily So not to sort of like plug our podcasts, but when we read Andre Agassi's book, he has a little anecdote shirts where at one point Oakley was one of his sponsors and just as a congrats for him winning some tournament, they drove a truck, arrives at his huge house and unloads off the truck as a Dodge Viper, brand new Dodge Viper.
Speaker 2: They were just like the Oakley of cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trually, like I think it's wearing.
Speaker 4: It's a wrap around car. It's very horizontal and like Kurby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they were like designed by the same person. By the way, there is a film nineteen ninety one's K two The Ultimate High. Oh that's what it says underneath it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, it's the Ultimate High because it's quite dangerous. Yeah, and you know, you know everyone and their mom summit's ever it's like every day, you know, there's probably once you get to the top, there's like a line to take yourselfie and then you're on your way back down. But K two, it's insanely dangerous. Only a hundred people have done it, like a couple hundred in the history of you know time. And there was this one, you know, horrible disaster in two thousand and eight where guess eleven people died of the course of two days. And I was just reading this harrowing story in Wikipedia. Sometimes the reportage on Wikipedia is really quite breathtaking, like it's you know, it's written like a really exciting novel or something.
Speaker 2: Well, it's written by the most pas shit hobbyist on earth always right, yeah, you go.
Speaker 4: If you're editing a Wikipedia page, you care, you give a shit? Yeah, And so you're seeing that that sort of like beautiful nerdy dedication to a subject.
Speaker 1: But it was just.
Speaker 4: Really harrowing and it and you know, there's all these like avalanches and ice falling and and people like tripping over wires and finding each other's bodies and then slipping and then dying and and then it's you know, zero degrees and everyone's freezing to death. And it just really made me not want to climb.
Speaker 5: I also make you fall asleep. This would make me like stay up fearing.
Speaker 1: And here's what was weird?
Speaker 4: It was just so calming, and maybe it was reading about cold, you know that kind of just lowers the heart rate. B yeah, but I think for some reason I found it calming, and I wonder if it's reading about cold you know kind of lowers well, well warmon bed kind of like lowers you eternal temperature and like slows down you know.
Speaker 1: Your whole system. That's great.
Speaker 4: There might be a psychosomatic connection there. And that's my hot or should I say cold? Take damn yes, burn Lily?
Speaker 1: What is it? What is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: So you know, I saw the email and I said, let's take a look, And I think this truly does reveal my personality. It was just so many searches on a guy my friend went on two dates with where I'm just like looking at his Twitter feed, like looking at random photos, like an interview with him from like two thousand and three.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think I spent two So this is like an old guy.
Speaker 5: A little bit maybe oh three is a little farther. I'm actually do changing dates because I love privacy. Middle I want to give the gossip, but I don't want to give this man's full age.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'll go deep.
Speaker 5: On a roundom man, I don't know, tell me you're gonna go on one date with him?
Speaker 1: And did your friend know that you're doing the deep dive? Is this like something you'll report back? Yeah?
Speaker 5: She was like, this is his full name, so you know, she was giving me the deets.
Speaker 2: So and I was like the last last four digits of his social about the whole.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so now I have, you know, cut to me, like, I'm on ancestry dot com.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out if I'm related to him.
Speaker 1: Right, there's his PlayStation user name and this is I believe a burner account, so you search.
Speaker 5: That, Oh I think, yeah, he posted this on Reddit on his burner account.
Speaker 1: Interesting. What is something that you guys think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Underrated?
Speaker 4: Underrated? That's rare? What is underrated? I mean I just started watching Willing Gray again from like season one, but I don't feel like it's underrated. I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: It was like, yeah, you can start with overrated if that, if that's if we want to work up to the underrated.
Speaker 3: Okay, well I have one for its kind of I guess this is underrated and kind of a mix. I do think my underrated, even though it's a really popular fast food chain of Popeyes. But I do think what's overrated is really like different expensive types of fried chicken, where I'm just like, I don't know how much better you can get for you know this thirty four dollars out of fancy restaurant. Is it going to be better than Popeyes?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of nailed it, haven't they?
Speaker 2: And the whole point of fried chicken is that it's like supposed to be the cheap. It's cheap. It's like, why make it nicer than it is?
Speaker 4: I do think, Okay, I like I like the Popeyes and thinks so buttery, and there's a flakiness the skin in that's really exciting. When I get start getting into the bone territory and of Popeyes, I do, I feel like I start to see the quality deteriorate. And those bones do make me a little uncomfortable. And I think they can be they can be brittle, they can be colors that don't feel super health forward. And when I'm looking at an amoral.
Speaker 3: Song of the bones are good, right, So you're saying the bones.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that the bones aren't so good, and it's kind of like it's one of those things where you know how you can feed like raw chick into a dog and it can eat it bones and all. Like I don't know if the rock chicken they're using a Popeyes is even is totally like dogga ball. I worry about those bones breaking and hurting my dog's trak. Ye, not that I would ever own a dog. That's what's overrated in my opinions.
Speaker 2: Dogs.
Speaker 1: You got there, dog owner?
Speaker 2: Shake you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that was the journey. So you I'm just having Do you want a sturdy bone in your bread chicken?
Speaker 4: Or are you saying when I get to the bone, I want like a porcelain un.
Speaker 1: Dirt there, like you want gorgeous, gleaming yeah, kind of yes, bone colored bone.
Speaker 4: I want a bone colored bone, some some sort of alabaster sculpture that I could knock on the wall.
Speaker 2: Right, You want like a cartoon bone like that and it's like a perfect skeleton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it does have to be like such a massive femur, but.
Speaker 1: It sounds of his mouth with two hands. How clean are your bones when you're done with fried chicken?
Speaker 5: By the way, I would say, with wings I'm cleaning them hard.
Speaker 1: I take great, great pride in the cleanliness of my bones that it's just just bone, no grizzle. Hell yeah, after a lifetime growing up as a white American where I'm eating so much grizzle on the bone. And then my wife was like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: This is all right here, this is this is this is amazing.
Speaker 1: She was like, this is and I can't let you continue on like this. And now we have clean bones, and I take.
Speaker 6: Great pride and does yeah, that's right, makes you a better person.
Speaker 5: Because it also feels like a dating like you know, twenty signs, like you know a guy, it's gonna be good in bed.
Speaker 3: They're like go up her wings.
Speaker 5: Like if he eats the whole wing, like you know, like he knows how to go down.
Speaker 7: Yes, ladies, my friend married a white guy and she was sending us pictures of his plates from their honeymoon, complaining about how he didn't clean various would not.
Speaker 2: Have been a worst sign I've never seen from the honey literally from Hawaii.
Speaker 4: Sounds like he wasn't eating the chicken or her Are they still I know, I assume they're divorced.
Speaker 8: They're together for now, but okay, we're keeping our eye on them. Yeah, I'm just gonna post a picture from the honeymoon when it all goes bad and just say we all knew this was right.
Speaker 2: We could tell from the jump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure she'll appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they use it like in divorce court.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, Yeah, she gets he's getting everything, Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: I would say I'm probably definitely more in the white stereotype of not getting all to the gristle.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I feel like I get I get the I get the good parts, but then I also might like, you know, hand the rest of it to a friend, you know, to a hungry Friend's.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm around clean. I had a I went to a one of those Japanese joints where they give you the whole shrimp and and the shrimp heads were like grilled hard enough, and they brought a bowl for the shrimp heads, and I was like, no, no, no, we don't need that chip. We're eating the heads. We're all Asian people here, and all of my friends sold me out. They're like, actually I don't really, So I had to eat like nine shrimp heads. I thought I was going to have like anaphylactic shock. It was not good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You were like yeah, literally, like we are not pussies, like we can do this. And they're like, oh, I would take the bowl and you're like, okay.
Speaker 4: That's crazy. I love shrimp heads. I love eating hat on shrimp, even when you're like, not supposed to. I'll eat the whole damn head. Yes, with all the little and the eyes and everything. They're so smarter.
Speaker 2: Yes, as smart as a shrimp. That's what we say. Just trying to be as smart as any given shrimp.
Speaker 4: You need their brain food.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's take a quick break. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for for with me during some audio.
Speaker 2: Some glits don't tell them they don't know.
Speaker 1: They don't know. It's just in case, just in case, people can consense the strain in my voice. It's not your fault, and I swear this never happens anyways. All right, X is suing Media Matters for pointing out their obvious Nazi problem. So you know, Media Matters did an analysis that showed how ads from big, big brands were popping up next to pro Nazi posts, and it's like, not they're not subtle. The pro Nazi posts have gotten very unsubtle. Have you guys noticed that? They're like what enlightenment looks like? What people think spiritual awakening is? Like first, what it's actually like? And it's like somebody doing yoga versus just like a picture of Hitler and like Hitler guys like and like brown shirts. They're like, that's that's your real spiritual enlightenment. It's but anyways, that is right next to an Apple, right next to an Apple ad, which I feel like Apple can't be can't be thrilled about. So you know, Media Matters reported they'd found at least five major brands with ads next to posts that taut Taut Hitler and his Nazi party on X, we're touting the Hitler. But Apple and IBM paused their ad spending on X, as did companies like Disney, Paramount, Warner Brothers, Discovery, probably not just because of the Media Matters article, and probably also because Elon Musk's most recent posts have accused Jewish communities of pushing hatred against whites, So, you know, just reminding everyone what really anti semitism looks like. He's gone hard on that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's really like, how I mean, I just assumed Twitter used to be like the worst people on earth, and it is actually truly amazing to see what actually the worst people can be. Yeah, it's coming strong.
Speaker 1: We thought it was like the worst it could be, and there it turns out there was like a thousand people behind the scenes, just like working day and night to get to keep it as good as it was, and they just fired all those people. So yeah, this is now just a slurry, a flood of garbage juice that you know they were fighting their hardest to keep to hold back.
Speaker 4: I'm curious as to who is ever clicked on an ad on Twitter? Ever, I'm a little like, has that ever proved useful for any company to advertise on Twitter? Have you ever purchased something from an ad you saw on Twitter at any point in Twitter's history.
Speaker 1: I That's the only way I guess at anything. Is I just clicking through Twitter AEDs and banner ads is how I find out about all my stuff and all the free.
Speaker 3: I am the spambot.
Speaker 5: That's like accidentally being like, actually, yeah, I will click on this pizza hut that stuff.
Speaker 3: Crust and then like instantly I'm brought a message from Twitter from look, this is there.
Speaker 5: Was one time. This is just it only happened once. I was intrigued what they were selling with their de quote unquote and this is an overrated Detroit style pizza and I was just curious what they were talking about.
Speaker 3: And yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I clicked okay to buy the pizza.
Speaker 3: No, I learn about it.
Speaker 4: So the conversion rate on that is zero. Still love anecdotally right now.
Speaker 2: It's still though, like learning about new fast food has to be one of Twitter's remaining uses. Is like, oh, fuck, they're putting you know, they're making hamburgers at Del Taco for some reason. Yeah, I guess I'm compelled to try it.
Speaker 4: But then aren't you seeing that, Like isn't that like just some sort of viral video that you're seeing that's like a screen grab or something that someone else is posting you're seeing it on Twitter versus like you're seeing a sponsor post for it, because yeah, like that kind of advertising, you know, it's like, you know, we I learn about a lot of television shows and movies that people are talking about because people talking about on Twitter that you know, that's advertising for Netflix or whatever. It is like that's not going to go away, and and I think that's still probably what these companies find most valuable at Twitter versus you know this ad for T mobile that no one's clicking on. Well maybe people are, and I'm not clicking and I'm just being you know, I've got my head in the sand. And it action is like a real grandpa.
Speaker 2: Everyone's buying cell phone service via a sponsored link.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the bigg like propaganda I've seen recently, as I was watching a new Lifetime lesbian thriller starring Krashelle of selling Sunset and there was like crazy like like Israeli army propaganda that was also that. Then right after that played a Bounty paper towel ad and I was like, this is kind of what I was not expecting from the ads of a Lante time fan.
Speaker 4: And not only that, but it worked.
Speaker 2: Joined amazing bounty paper towel, perfect for wiping up.
Speaker 5: Just anything, anything cleanups, you know, doesn't matter where they came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, I've not heard I've not even heard of people really successfully like buying, you know, a product being advertised on Twitter and converting into a sale. And yet apples add money alone totaled approximately one hundred million dollars in twenty twenty two. Yeah, which, wow, so that's a lot to be paused to put on pause.
Speaker 4: They couldn't spend that on like making the phones work better, or.
Speaker 5: They don't want to make the phones work better. They want us to just keep on buying bad Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, but that's the kind of advertising, right, That's like, it's not like you're supposed to like see the ad and buy it. You're just supposed to like have this pervasive sense that everyone's using an iPhone.
Speaker 4: You're just supposed to know that Apple it controls your life. And yeah, they're unavoidable. It's just this, Yeah, you know, I left my overlord.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess it makes me think how Steven's mother bought an electric Mustang because she hates Elon so much.
Speaker 4: Oh right, she didn't want to buy a Tesla.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean once you know, he's losing the boomer liberals, he's losing Apples, He's gonna lose it all. I mean, I will say, I don't think Elon ever purchased Twitter as like a financial It was always supposed to be like financially unfootable, right, and Twitter has always been like not profitable, right, I mean, I just like the whole point of Twitter is it's like, you know, it's a public forum, it's chalk. It's like it's never ever gonna really make anyone a lot of money. And he bought it as a vanity project, and you know, it remains it remains that way, you know, and it.
Speaker 1: With ridentity project has like turned his brand and all of like so much of his wealth was based on his brand and he's just like fucking turned. It's so toxic and just shit all over it.
Speaker 5: Right, It's only helped him make him look like a nineteen eighties movie creepy computer villain, which is like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was vibe, yeah, but like not that smart. Usually they those people were like magic and like smart and could solve everything with computers, and like he seems kind of like a fuck up at this point. Yeah, did you guys even think about covering like, is that this sort of celebrity, Like does he count as a celebrity? Would you cover the Walter Isaacson elon Musk book.
Speaker 4: Wow, we only we we were a literary criticism pod, so we and we use books as a way to talk about the author. So if we did that book, we would if we did an episode on Walter Isaacson, we might do that book, but we wouldn't do but it would have to be we don't do it. Yeah, So maybe we could maybe do a whole book on, you know, an episode on an Elon tweet or something, or an Elon tweet thread that could be interesting, that could count.
Speaker 2: As a book.
Speaker 3: We could do his deposition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait because eventually he's gonna have an autobiography ghost written and it is going to be the most insane thing, so epic.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sorry, what is there a book that you guys reviewed where you were like, holy shit, Like Nancy Kerrigan is the great like literary voice of our time and we just didn't know we didn't realize it. Or is there somebody who like was just unexpectedly a great writer or like just had like really poignant moments.
Speaker 4: Definitely wasn't Nancy carragrim.
Speaker 1: I would not have expected that book.
Speaker 5: I will say, you know, you know, underrated actress but a vulnerable great comedian is the actress of Despert Housewives, Terry Hatcher. Her book was so fun so funny, so real, so vulnerable in a way that you know, some celebrities aren't ready to write about themselves in that way. So wow, Yeah, I'm going to give it up to Terry Hatcher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Terry Hatters was super revealing. I mean, I do tend to think some of the better books are just good because they have good ghost writers. Yeah, you know, Andre, like Andre Agassi's book and Prince Harry's book are both goes written by this guy Moranger who's a great writer, and it's like Prince Harry is a complete unsympathetic character, but the writing.
Speaker 2: Is it's it's occasionally.
Speaker 1: Quite gripping, you know, really well done. Yeah. Yeah, did you read the New Yorker article by him about writing the Prince Harry book.
Speaker 4: I want to say I did. And then.
Speaker 2: Well wait at this point, does that mean y'all have like a like a list of your favorite ghost writers?
Speaker 3: I mean kind of, I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean the ghostwriter is not that prominent. I mean, you know, the whole you know Emphysis on ghost.
Speaker 3: Well, because there's like two schools.
Speaker 5: There's the memoir that will be like, you know, someone with like Louisa farren Son and you're like, Okay, they're putting the ghost writer out there, or it will just be like Demi Moore.
Speaker 3: But it turns out that Demi Moore book was by I'm blanking on her.
Speaker 1: Name, Ariel Levy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ari, and that book was like so well written.
Speaker 5: My favorite ghostwriter was we did Demi Levado's mother's memoir and hers was ghost written by this woman. And I went to her website and like all of her other credits were just from like a local interior design magazine in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Fuck, yes, yeah that's the gig.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she shot for the moon on that one.
Speaker 3: Never stopped trying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she was really good.
Speaker 3: She was no but I just loved her.
Speaker 1: It's just her friend from the street who was like yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean that book was insane because the whole time you're reading it, you're just like, this is Demi Levado's mom and it's like every page you're like, okay, so you really thought, like like we needed to know this, like what it was like raising the others, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, focuses mainly on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a there's a whole handful, but.
Speaker 1: Overall, do you guys have your do you have your favorite just book in general, like the one that you recommend to people when they're like, okay, you're this is what your podcast is about, Like, what's the one that I should read that? Like nobody?
Speaker 4: Well, ideally you would listen to the podcast and then you wouldn't have to read anything.
Speaker 1: Right there?
Speaker 4: You go, hold ong h. You know that's that's what we really try to impart to our listeners. Stop spending money at Barnes and Noble. Cut up your Barnes and Noble card. Okay you about to do with interest?
Speaker 3: Barnes and Noble credit cards are crazy.
Speaker 4: It's insane. It's like thirty percent. They're Nickel and Diamonio over them. Barnes and Noble for like Nickel and Dime. It's awful. But I would say I I my favorite books are. I tend to like either of the ones that are super sassy and have a ton of like tea and dirt in them. So I always say Janis Dickinson is a real fun one for that you know there's just tons of drugs and sex and celebrity, and you know she's stealing a car from the pope and then like fucking Antonio and or like Liam Neeson on a beach and she is telling you how big his dick is, like that pretty billy run.
Speaker 1: Oh. She describes it.
Speaker 4: As an evy on bottle. Wow, which is something I will never stop thinking about.
Speaker 2: Like the tear drop one like it maybe it oh wow, No.
Speaker 1: It's very weird weirdly shaped. Also yeah yeah huge yeah.
Speaker 4: And then also in that category put Mike Lindell, the My Pillow guy who has a self published memoir which is just incredible, and it's just again, it's just he's always like blowing in a ball of coke while he's being chased by the cops, and then like almost getting murdered in Mexico before he's down forty thousand dollars in Vegas, and then like like doing crap for a week and after leaving a house, like it's really insane, And that.
Speaker 5: One feels very un I feel like my favorites are the ones that really both those like don't feel ghost written.
Speaker 3: It feels like.
Speaker 5: My favorite scene from a film is the nineteen fifty six film on Team Maine with Roslin Russell, and it's like about this fabulous woman and she finally like her son like hires like a secretary to write her memoirs, and it's just her walking around her huge apartment as like a nerdy woman types and like that is how I feel like my favorite books get written person walking around talking someone.
Speaker 1: Just like scribbling it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. Like the best celebrity memoirs are essentially like the ghostwriters, more of a copy editor slash slight organizer of whatever is coming out of their mouth.
Speaker 1: Who's afraid for their life of the entire time. It's like there's some some severe sunset boulevard vibes. Yes, they're like this person might kill me at the end of this, and that's how you know it's a good celebrity memoir. Amazing.
Speaker 4: There's also the ones I'll say where just the person it's themselves is a writer, and so then those are good, like Nora Fron or like Tina Brown, where it's just like, oh, they're just like a fabulous New York lady who has like who just has an arch turn of phrase and they're.
Speaker 1: Right, just been saving up these burns for like forty years, exactly, amazing them at cocktail parties. Yeah, now they're.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, Tina Brown will just be like Kissinger.
Speaker 1: Look terrible.
Speaker 5: She wrote that on a napkin, like you know that she found in like an old desk, and she's like, exactly right, I forgot about this.
Speaker 3: Kissinger looked terrible.
Speaker 1: Kissinger looked terrible. Amazing. Can picture Kissinger in the mirror before he leaves, Yeah, before he leaves, just being like, I look like shit, damn it.
Speaker 2: Have to go bomb the country now.
Speaker 4: They didn't moisturize back then. I don't know real.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about JFK. Oh great, Okay, we'll be right back, and we're back, and today is, of course, the sixtieth anniversary of the JFK assassination. I'm sure you guys knew that you've been preparing, and you have your little party schedule.
Speaker 2: I have that you shoot. Actually, I don't know what you guys do.
Speaker 5: I'm renting a Cadillac tonight to do a drive throughout my neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Steven's gonna shoot.
Speaker 4: Me, I'm gonna shoot you. I'm making my famous pillbox hot pie for Thanksgiving, a.
Speaker 1: Little pink Yeah, I love it. I just sit in the upper window and throw firecrackers out of it. So that. You know, people get scared.
Speaker 5: Thank abertime out JFK just as a masshole. You know, I could just talk about.
Speaker 3: Love JFKH on President President.
Speaker 1: That's right. So I hear it's not safe in Dallas for Catholics according to that old Steady lyric. But yeah, so there's a lot of events going on in Dallas to commemorate it, and they're kind of like, there's so the movie theater where Lee Harvey Oswald was captured will be playing the actual double feature that was playing when he snuck into the theater.
Speaker 3: Whoa. I'm like literally booking tickets. That sounds so fun.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, I've been to that theater before. I really was like visiting a friend in Dallas and like we're like, fuck it, let's go see a movie. And then she was like we like get in. She's like, you know, this is where Lee Harvey Oswald hung out and we watched Paris Dispatch and it was only okay.
Speaker 1: Paris Dispatch. I don't even know that one.
Speaker 2: Or is that the the Wes Anderson was it not? What's it called?
Speaker 1: Oh the French Dispatch?
Speaker 5: French Dispatch, Yes, yeah, specific and that's actually Wes Anderson films were playing when JFK died.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people don't know that. Yeah, but it's I don't know, have you guys ever been to Dallas? Like have you ever been to Daily Plaza or no?
Speaker 5: I feel like it's like I have not, yeah, been to Dallas, But I feel like get growing up in mass Like you can't you know, turn right left without some JFK niss you know, thrift stores or you know people time when he died, or like plates with his face on it, like it's aft store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a JFK is deep and the culture.
Speaker 5: But I mean he's one of my style, like cons and I feel like I've always been like obsessed with like you know him and Sinatra and Marilyn Monroe and how like but cool guys they all were.
Speaker 1: But what about the death Lily?
Speaker 4: Did that fascinates you in the same way? Fast?
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's you asked me that, Jack Ruby.
Speaker 4: You know, it was quite a tumultuous time for America in the sixties.
Speaker 5: I wanted to This is very me. I was like, as a kid, like a kind of thirteen year old, I was like, I want to get into conspiracy JFK stuff and that that was on my list of to dos as a teen, but I've never fully kind of went there, but I was like, this is something I could have fun with.
Speaker 1: Never too late, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think that is more of an older activity.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's yes. And I guess this is like if you're going to get into conspiracies, now, this is like quaint at this point, right, it's.
Speaker 3: Such a retro like, oh, what a cute conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, There's so many more places you could go.
Speaker 1: Like Dallas has a weird, weird relationship to it. Like I don't know when when Kennedy was like travel to Dallas, people were like this is dangerous. People in Dallas fucking hate this guy, Like it's he better be careful. Like before it was like it was not seen as like a safe move. And then like the museum, the person who owned the book depository like took the window that Lee Harvey Oswald shot him from out of the side of repository and put it in his house. Yeah, and put it in his house as like a trophy like.
Speaker 5: For you know, he didn't install like yeah, just like on a table window.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you older, like how he how he had it, but yeah, it was like a thing that he was like, yeah, we did it, guys, And I don't know. There's a good book about the Bush family that talks about how like George H. W. Bush was in Dallas at the time. It was like one of the first people the CIA called, like after he was assassinated, but he was not like actually a CIA agent. He was not like nominally a CIA agent at that time. That's the only CIA connection that George H. W. Bush had before they made him the head of the CIA. Like, so it's like very people were like, wait, why is he becoming the head of the CIA? Has nothing to do with the CIA? And they're like, nothing that you know of to do with the CIA. But he was literally the first person we called when Kennedy was assassinated, and there's just like all you know, and that's that's Bush country down there in Texas.
Speaker 4: And so what the theory is that's weird is that they did that. They called him and they were like we did it, honey, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like and said way to go, Yeah, nice shot, nice shot, nice shot.
Speaker 2: Age Like the twentieth century is just some hatfield and McCoy's ship. And when you go to this level, it's just like a family feuds.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: It's like we don't have no one gets like, you know, classically assassinated anymore like they used to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know. People always say we live in a crazy time, when it's like, honey, let me tell you about a little decade called the sixties. Okay, political leaders are getting assassinated left and right, and and we miss that, like we missed kidnapping.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kidnapping. It's you know, everyone's you. It's when men wore hats to assassinate you know, thank you dressed up.
Speaker 4: It wasn't And Jack Ruby wore a hat when he Shortley Hovels, Well, wasn't it. And now I'm just making this is a powerphle, but it could be true if he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Wearing a hat when he assassinated him. He had just taken it.
Speaker 3: Off because a woman was there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was just like, please.
Speaker 3: Good day to you.
Speaker 2: And then under the hat is a little is a little gun. Maybe that would be nice.
Speaker 4: Hello, I do think that, you know, I guess I mean the hot shakers. People love celebrity and that's a famous thing that happens, so they'll be obsessed with it forever. I mean, how many times was there like a huge prominent assassination like at a at a public place that we can all go to, and like like there's that great Eric Abadoo music video where she's walking naked through Dallas and she's taking off all her clothes window seats is the song, and then she gets right to the point where JFK is assassinated, and she is now completely nude and her back is facing the camera the whole time. It's like all one shot. But it's yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It is art.
Speaker 4: It's art. It just it literally is art.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The pictures that the families take in a like replica, Like there's there's an activity, a family activity you can do where you drive around in a linking convertible and recreate the final moments of Kennedy's life. And there's like all these pictures of like families just like what cheesing, like looking back behind like where towards where the shots came from, like smiling. There's like one was like a five year old girl like sitting in the Kennedy spot.
Speaker 6: It's like that I mean, listen, I don't think anyone should kill any members of their family, but if you're gonna, this would be one of the funnier ways to have it hilarious.
Speaker 4: You assassinate grandma while she's riding in the back of this JFK experience, it would be so.
Speaker 2: Weird, it'd be so hard to explain to people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh goody.
Speaker 5: It does feel what you were saying, though, very like Dallas, where I feel like it's much more like a Dallas to recreate like, yeah, like kind of this crazy cowboy shoot him up scenario. Where's Massachusetts is just like, let's praise think of him on a boat. Yeah, No, one's driving around in that clause.
Speaker 4: He wasn't assassinated in Massachusetts.
Speaker 5: No, but I'm saying, no one's wanting to kind of even really at a museum have that experience go on.
Speaker 4: No, it does imply us somewhat of a disrespect for the dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which we do not do in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I have been.
Speaker 4: Do you think in fifty years we'll be doing like nine to eleven experiences where you can get in a plane that just does a flyby of ground zero.
Speaker 1: They have an X on the ground where he was when he was shot, and tourists like run out to the X and like give a little thumbs up while like standing next to the X and holding up traffic. Presumably Oh my god. So that's cool, wow and classy A good way to classy stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dallas is a weird, weird city. I will I will just say the like food was not kind of as like Texas amazing as I'd hope shot I fired.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was really hoping for some you know, big I don't know, brisket where they're supposed to do down there. It was fine, but.
Speaker 3: You were un impressed by the VBQ.
Speaker 2: I was more impressed by water burger, which admittedly is amazing and will fucking kill you so fast. But it was very good.
Speaker 4: Why is that one of those where it's like a smash burger where it's like flash or is it like really large?
Speaker 2: It was kind of normal, but it was just like so they must put butter on it or something. It's it's like, you know, just fast food burger. I got I ate one in a rental car like one second out of the airport, and it was so good.
Speaker 5: That's such a beautiful experience. Rental car, Yeah, regional fast food.
Speaker 1: Directly, they're all over the.
Speaker 2: Fucking like steering wheel.
Speaker 3: It's not my car, not your car.
Speaker 2: I just for the record, I would also do that in my car.
Speaker 5: But right you're like, oh, no, my car is a sanctuary.
Speaker 4: Your your Olantra is just a greased up hog.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's what I call it.
Speaker 5: Well, I wasn't planning a trip to Dallas, but this honestly sounds kind of insane, so I might now you.
Speaker 4: Need to assassination experience.
Speaker 1: There's like a little cottage industry of like little conspiracy theorists like that. There there are people who want to talk to you about the JFK assassination, just like kind of roaming the streets around where it happened. The museum runs a gallery and event space on the seventh floor, but they like try and keep it classy. They're like not available for weddings or bar and bought mitzvah celebrations, and a way not to bring food or drinks downstairs to the assassination exhibition. Sorry.
Speaker 4: So there's there's like in the sixth floor of the book Depository.
Speaker 1: Yes, where os Well allegedly shot.
Speaker 4: From you know, every everybody has a price. I bet for a few mail you could get a wedding in there.
Speaker 2: I mean, like all things, the keys just don't tell them you're having a wedding. Just to do it.
Speaker 4: Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
Speaker 3: I'm having.
Speaker 5: They didn't say retirement party. I'm having a retirement party for JFK was assassinated.
Speaker 3: I'm already wanting the merch.
Speaker 5: I rode the car that JFK was assassinated and all was hurt.
Speaker 1: Like banquet, is it appropriate to be like this is where the shot is asked from? Like I guess like a Republican convention of republican.
Speaker 2: Thing is probably pretty good down there. I'm surprised they don't have a thing where you can like like target shoot down to the X from the book depository.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh like see if you can get the shot, that.
Speaker 2: Would be the most Texas thing possible. It's just like here's your gun, here's one bullet. I guess three bullets. I don't remember how many bullets was And it's carnival.
Speaker 5: They're like three shots for five dollars, three shots for five dollars.
Speaker 4: JFK like stuff animal.
Speaker 2: It's it's like it's like a normal if you if you get the shot, you get the like head blown off one and if.
Speaker 1: You don't, you just get like kind of holding his neck.
Speaker 2: Like a New World Order pin. I don't remember what they thought was happening. I need to be educated by these people.
Speaker 4: Years ago, I read the book called Reclaiming History by Vincent Bugliosi, who also wrote Helter Skelter about the Manson murders. But it's it's a door stoppa. It's an extremely thick tome, but he basically debunks every possible conspiracy theory about the JFK assassination. And it did kind of convince me, and I was kind of like, Okay, well he spent on you spent a long time researching this.
Speaker 2: I guess it was.
Speaker 4: It was just lee.
Speaker 2: It would be so boring to write that book if it weren't true, Like imagine making a boring thing that was fake.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a book called Mortal Error, The Shot that Killed JFK by Bonner Manager that I highly recommend. It's the it's the one that I find. It's the conspiracy theory I find most convincing, and it's the one where the first shot came from Oswald and then the second shot came from a Secret Service agent freaking out, and like.
Speaker 5: That's the one in my early research I believed in, Yeah, because because you're just like, yeah, I don't know, I mean, Secret Services being shocked up.
Speaker 4: To human era and incompetence. You know, so many world events are just incompetence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they basically stop. Yeah, it was a big it was a big time whoopsie. But that's why the shots like looked different. The first one just like passed through them cleanly because it came from Oswald's gun, and then the second one came from like one of these like CIA, you know, Secret Service rather like M four teens that have like the rounds they're spinning so fast they just like destroy whatever they hit so that we play Fortnite.
Speaker 2: We know, we all what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of duty.
Speaker 3: Do you guys think you have what it takes to be a Secret Service agent?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I get so distracted by boredom, Like I would need to be able to be listening to podcasts, which I don't think you're allowed to do.
Speaker 3: Your pieces always, So I'm sure they would be.
Speaker 1: So mad if they found out I was listening to your podcast well protecting the President, and I would like laugh and they'd be like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Biden said something hilarious.
Speaker 4: And they're just like, I don't know if I buy that, babe.
Speaker 3: Because I think so much of it is waiting around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in that the main job, according to popular media is getting shot. I guess I could do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think you take a bullet like a you're in for that.
Speaker 2: I'm not like enthusiastic about it, but I could do it.
Speaker 4: Something I've never understood about the whole, like, you know, hypothetical of taking a bullet for the principle, for the for the person your guardian as I'm kind of like, if you have time to jump in front of.
Speaker 1: The bullet, just push him out of the way.
Speaker 4: Do we not have time for yeah, to push him out of the way. It just seems like what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like they want you to take the bullet more than like actually doing your job.
Speaker 1: It's a power trip. The president just wants to, like, yeah, just to know that somebody is willing to do that for him. The presidents are needy, you guys. Yeah, one thing that we've all learned. How about you guys, you think you'd be able to do it?
Speaker 4: Oh God, now.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm not saying i'd be good at it, but honestly, like I think I could just like walk around and like wear a suit and then like run slowly like they're always like not keeping up and everything, and like that.
Speaker 4: Part you would nail that, like that kind of jog in a suit and then just stopping, I think, and then.
Speaker 3: Like talking to her pairs.
Speaker 5: I'm being like, Okay, duke is one of our codes, will be like duke to the left.
Speaker 4: That would be fun, Like it was fun when people are entering and exiting buildings. That it part is great, but all the rest of it is just like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Wait, and you're talking about like hearing outside the building, like stick your head out here both ways and then report clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, who's this guy? Who's this guy left? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the duke is entering olive garden? You know, Like that's fun.
Speaker 2: I think, not that I could do it well, but I could do any job that requires carrying a gun as well as most people who do that job because they mostly do it incredibly bad.
Speaker 1: I could definitely do that, Yeah, yeah, because I just wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Use the gun. So that's I don't agree. But yeah, all cops are. They're bad up and like they're all like lazy and weird. And I feel like I was at the arcade recently and I I got the top score on a shooting game in the whole fuck yeah on the machine, like on the machine, And I was like, oh, actually, I mean I've been sanely accurate.
Speaker 2: Yes, shooting touches.
Speaker 5: Them, like getting prospective CIA members from arcades, they tap you. I could also, you could wear those sunglasses they'd sell a party stores that have mirrors on the side.
Speaker 1: Not the wrap around. Yeah, no, of sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Wrap around Oakley's mirrored Oakley's though, So it's like a three sixty behind your.
Speaker 1: Head, directly behind you.
Speaker 4: It's like an ima screen.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, Steven and Lily, it's been such a pleasure having you guys on the Daily Geist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: Oh god, it's been a pleasure to beyond here talking about JFK, my favorite subject.
Speaker 3: Well, you can follow our podcast and listen to it. On Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Celebrity book Club Stephen and Lily and we're on Instagram at.
Speaker 4: Where you got your podcast?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had with you guys.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and when you Google, just make sure you look for Celebrity book Club with Stephen and Lily. That's crucial.
Speaker 1: There are other celebrity book clubs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are the bad ones.
Speaker 3: And follow us on x Twitter.
Speaker 2: If you're a Nazi, follow follow them on re access.
Speaker 1: Please? Is there a work of media that you guys have been enjoying besides your own podcast?
Speaker 5: I just started this probably doesn't need any more advertisement, but I just started the Nathan Fielder and the Stone Show.
Speaker 4: I started that. I just I'm obsessed with it. It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good. It's they play like haunted HGTV hosts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you guys watching that? Are you like Paramount Plus?
Speaker 5: Is that? My girlfriend subscribes to Showtime Social Okay, Nixium doc and now you know Classic You never run subscribe to stuff.
Speaker 3: So now I'm benefiting by watching this.
Speaker 4: I'm watching it on Hulu. My boyfriend's friends Hulu, and I guess they have the Showtime kind of add on. I don't know who paid for it or when, but I'm making use of it.
Speaker 2: Presumably somewhat has that's why the TV industry is doing fine.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, just one person with a subscription to every service. Amazing, Andrew, where can people find you? What's the workmedia you've been enjoying? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Just yo? Is this racist? Is my podcast? My normal podcast? And I also recently, I guess there'll be this episode will be the final episode of my friend Cody's and I did a mini series for Earwolf Presents called they Shouldn't Let Us Name it the name of this but it is called do You Understand the Words that Are coming out of Our Mouths? A series where we watch the rush Hour movies and it was they shouldn't let us, they shouldn't let us do that? And in piece of media, this is going to be a movie that a friend of mine made that is going to be out in I believe release State Side. Oh, I want to say in December ish at Alamo Draft Houses, I believe, called Raging Grace. It won south by Southwest recently and it's really good. It's like a kind of a thriller about an undocumented Filipina lady in London. That is. You know it's an indie, but it is fucking harrowing and pretty brad nice.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien uh tweet I've been enjoying. Carter Hampley tweeted, I hate how quietly iPhones die at five percent. It should start verbally begging for its life. I think that's a good idea. You can find us on Twitter at daily zeit Guys. We're at the Daily Zeit guyst on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page, on a website daily zeikeis dot com, or post our episodes and our footnotes where we look off the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song we think you might enjoy. Super producer Justin is there a song that you think people should go check out? Yeah.
Speaker 10: If you want to feel like you're drifting away next to an African waterfall while you're cooking your entrees or whipping up them. Size of this holiday season, throw on this track called Blue Nile by Mulatu A stot K, the legendary Ethiopian composer, jazz musician, multi instrumentalist. This also features the Heliocentrics and it's just a really nice, mellow, trippy, fun psychedelic vibe. So yeah, this is Blue Nile by Mulatu A. Stot K and the Heliocentrics. And you can find that song in the footnotes.
Speaker 1: Good Notes the Daily Zeikeister production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio ap Apple podcast or wherever you listen your favorite shows. That is gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending. We will talk to you all then bite