Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Christy Scales, Aisha Morrison, Nicole Hutchison, and Jess Navarrees.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our Tuesday edition of Girls Talk Boys Talk here.
Speaker 2: At the beautiful SWBC podcast Judy at the Star Fresco. We are brought to you by Jigsaw Dating. By the way, Jess Navar Is, Ashmorris.
Speaker 3: Nicole Hutchinson and Christy Scales here with us to date.
Speaker 2: Ladies, how are we feeling now that it's been forty eight hours to officially absorb everything San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Just breathe on it. We're getting ready to turn the page. Here on the podcast will be the last day we really talk about it in depth.
Speaker 2: I know Ayisha is screaming to be done with this conversation. She's blinking, blink twice. If you need help, there we go, Oh there, there it is.
Speaker 3: She's played three times.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So we're gonna we're gonna get more into that discussion today. I usuall went back and watch some film. The ladies here got to talk to some of the rookie class today. I'll let you guys talk about that event as well, and we'll just get into more discussion that we didn't get into today. Let's start with the event that happened today and the importance of that.
Speaker 3: Ladies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, World Mental Health Day couldn't have come at a better time after this San Francisco game. But it's awesome because the Rookie Club, presented by Blockchain, they do so many events throughout the year, and this year's rookie class and Nicole, you got to see him in action today just so outstanding. And so we had an event here at the Star where Bessie Coleman Middle School drove up from Cedar Hill, which is just south of Dallas, and we were on the out to our practice field and Trisha from Cowboys Fit, one of our yoga instructors at Cowboys Fit, led a thirty minute yoga session for all the kids and the Rookie Club was out there taking part in that. And then a character playbook, which is something that our community relations for the Cowboys in the NFL have focused on for many years. Our friends at EverFi help with that. And so to see those cowboys rookies that the kids were broken up into groups of four, and so we had four cowboys rookies with each of those groups, and they talked about some really important topics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, of course the topic of the day mental health awareness. And like I mentioned in my story, that'll be airing on Specialization this week.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, may shu tun.
Speaker 7: But no, it's just Dak Prescott really started.
Speaker 5: To lead the way with this whole mental health awareness around the NFL, kind of leading the charge a couple of years ago. And so just to see so many guys really taking thinking about that just.
Speaker 6: Being sold important and you see.
Speaker 5: A lot of professional athletes really taking care of their mental health. I talked to Deuce today, talk to Luke and just ask them, you know, like what are why is it so important to take care of your mental health? And they're like, man, we do so much, you know, like it's just good to just you know, take a deep breath. Do said that, you know, for him to kind of like ease up and like kind of take a break from football. Sometimes he likes to read books, and then Luke said he likes to you know, his religion is really important to him. He also kind of mentioned to me that music is a thing as well for him to kind of give him a peace of mind.
Speaker 6: So just love.
Speaker 5: I love how like a lot of athletes use different avenues to kind of take care of their mental health.
Speaker 4: So that was that was It was a really cool eff Yeah, and the kids got to take the yoga mats home with them and and for a lot of them it's the first time they'd had, you know, real yoga instructor instruction from a real professional instructor. And then Raising Kanes provided lunch and Darry Max the smoothies, and so yeah, yeah, it was really an awesome day.
Speaker 6: And it's it's so nice of that Rookie.
Speaker 4: Club Tuesdays are the players stay off, and yet they're here on a Tuesday morning spending time with those middle school kids who just had a wonderful, wonderful day.
Speaker 6: So it was it was a day well spent for sure. Yeah, we got to see some of the girls like stroll too, some of the yea, we had the dance the dance group and the cheer team. Yeah cool.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, I mean in regard to the mental health side of things, definitely, I can say as as a veteran, I've even had to up my just my responsibility to myself to check in and to make sure I'm taking care of myself. So even though we're talking about the players, everyone out there, you know, this day is for you too. Know that you're you're needed, that people love you, that you're cared about, and just keep that in mind, and it's okay to ask for help. Absolutely, And that's that's Dak's slogan obviously as well. So that's something that I carry and I take very seriously as well.
Speaker 4: And I'm glad you mentioned military background. Another event this afternoon, the Langford family, James Langford and his wife Maya and their two young boys came up and it was an event for Sleep Number and so they knew that they were coming for a VIP tour of the Star. So I'm taking them on a tour of the Star, but they don't know that Tony Pollard is waiting for him, and that's why say this is yeah so Tony, yeah, Tony. So then we kind of finished the tour and then they win some tickets to a game, our salute to service game from Sleep Number and lots of goodies and jerseys and stuff. And so their little boys are out there running around on the field with Tony handing them the.
Speaker 6: Ball and stuff like that. So just a wonderful day.
Speaker 4: And so the Cowboys and Sleep Number and Tony Pollard with our own early salute to service with the Langford family that came up from Houston.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: And I feel like for those guys, especially after the heaviness from this weekend, it's a good way to start to turn the page.
Speaker 3: He can probably refresh and just remind themselves, you know, their why you know.
Speaker 2: And I know a lot of the guys you talked to in the locker room talk about when you start getting into conversation with them about how they take their at very serious. And uh, someone that I talked to a lot about this is Michael Gallup and saying I want to be an example for young kids that look up at me at the stadium and say, hey, I want to do that. One day, he said, if I can do that for one kid in that entire stadium, I did something right in my job that day. So for the rookies to get a taste of your fishy Dallas Cowboy, this is the weight that you hold, and especially after that loss, I think it's a really good weight for them to turn the page. And then it explains. I walked in Tony Pollard's and in the lobby, I was like, what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing out here?
Speaker 6: His crocks?
Speaker 2: He was sporting those crocks in sport mode and he should have seen James's face.
Speaker 6: It was so cool. It was a great surprise.
Speaker 3: So that is awesome. What just glaze over that?
Speaker 8: Sorry, no shade.
Speaker 3: I love crocs. I've never had a pair of crocs.
Speaker 2: Guys, we're going to change that.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna buy you your first hair cross.
Speaker 6: I've just never thought I was wearing crocs.
Speaker 3: All right, I just got to chang.
Speaker 7: They're convenient and comfortable. I don't got one on.
Speaker 3: Crocks right now.
Speaker 2: Tony Pollards wearing crocs upstairs. Anyways, before we get too off topic, let's transition from there. Let's use Tony Pollard is a good starting point with the Dallas Cowboys offense. Let's get back into some conversation post game post loss to the San Francisco forty nine ers. Let's talk about it. The run game in in this game obviously not as much of a factor as they would have liked it to be.
Speaker 3: Fifty seven total yards.
Speaker 2: Tony Pollard had eight touches on the ball for twenty nine yards. He averaged three point six yards per carry. Ric o'dowdell he had five attempts for fifteen yards, averaging three yards per carry. There his longest run was eight yards.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about why this run game wasn't established.
Speaker 2: Let's start there and then we'll work our way around us show when you went back, if you watched this game four times, ladies and gents, that's how dedicated she is to this podcast, four times four.
Speaker 3: I couldn't even watch it once. What did you notice about the lack of run game?
Speaker 2: Why was it not able to get established early on and going forward?
Speaker 3: How can they fix that to get that rhythm going a little bit quicker?
Speaker 7: Well, a couple of things.
Speaker 8: When they when the offense deferred, when they deferred and they allowed, you know, they decided to go out there and let the defense play first. I really thought that the offense expected things to kind of go in their favor with the defense being out there and everything from there. I think Brian Scheinenharmer mentioned that there they never found a rhythm yep. And but part of the reason why they never found a rhythm is because they went I felt like they went away from the run extremely quickly. And I also to you know, just looking at TP and looking at Rico, I personally thought that Rico was really when you play a defense that's that physical and it's that downhill, you got to counter that. And I felt as though Rigo could have countered some of that a little bit more also too. I mean, some of the things we talked about on this show that we felt like could work up against this forty nine Ers team motion screens we only saw one in that game and it was successful. That type of stuff we didn't really see in this game, and so it was just to me it was very discombobulated from the start offensively, and going away from the run game as early as they did.
Speaker 7: I don't think it played.
Speaker 8: It played into the forty nine Ers hands with how they liked to play defense. Would have really liked to see Totly, Pollard and Rico get more involved and maybe not just running up the middle, maybe not just doing those things, but doing some things, attacking the edges and taking it to those guys. I was disappointed in it. If I'm not mistaken. They ran the ball like two three times in the first half alone, Holy heck.
Speaker 7: And we looked at.
Speaker 8: The time of possession and also too, Schottenheimer mentioned that's the reason why, you know, usage was kind of scattered. But even so, you run the ball to sustain, sustain drives and to play off the play action, and there was just none of that yesterday, well Sunday at this point. So that's to me what I saw in the run game.
Speaker 5: I would agree with that. I mean, I feel like they just didn't trust it either. You know, I guess when it you're getting punched in the mouth like that early on, and then you kind of you have to still trust the game plan. You've got to still try to establish that run. And I feel like that's where the success came from in the first half of the season, the first couple of games.
Speaker 7: And yeah, I'm just going with you.
Speaker 5: I think I would have liked them to get you know, a lot of those guys involved, like Rico and Tony, maybe a little bit of Deuce and Hunter maybe kind of rotate them in you know, yeah, I mean, you can't go away from the game plan that early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but then in the second half when the score starting to get away from you, then you know you're gonna have to air it out some more so so falling behind the way they did early, but especially in the second half when the game was starting to really get away from them, and as just says, you got to go for the past. One thing that Mike said Monday afternoon that kind of pricked my ears up a little bit was he was saying, because you know, he was asked about, hey, you had your starting five offensive lineman back, and you're still not really able to run. And he didn't use this phrase, but time on task. It is important for these guys to work together, and so he said that moving forward that he expects Tyron and Tyler on the left side of the offensive line being together as left tackle and left guard, to have those combo blocks working better together. Right, But again, that's kind of a time on task thing, and they had really only had a couple of practices together. So that's something that we can look forward to moving on. But you're right, you know, would have loved to see more screen passers. We saw some great screen passes, but unfortunately it was mostly McCaffrey and the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, And I think as far as not using dues or Hunter, that might be some things that they're trying to use more in the red zone. The Cowboys didn't make it to the red zone to be able to show that off right, And we've talked about before this game how Mike McCarthy hasn't had to show his full hand yet at his play calling.
Speaker 3: You haven't really seen.
Speaker 2: What those special packages can be for Deuce or Hunter really yet, because one, they're still trying to establish what's going on in the red zone, who the red zone guy is.
Speaker 3: They don't have that rushing threat in the red zone like they used to with Zeke, so establishing.
Speaker 2: That is still something that's in the works. But yeah, overall, CHRISTI to your point about the offensive line. I wanted to mention this tweet that John Owning tweeted earlier about Tyler Smith, and I think it's very important to note Tyler Smith is currently PFF's highest graded run blocker among inside O linemen ninety one point nine. He is also the only player to have grades above eighty for both zone and gap runs.
Speaker 3: So kudos to Tyler Smith there.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it is all about that, but I think that's a second year jump that we don't talk enough about just anywhere. I think the amount of work that Tyler Smith has done in the year that he has been here, you know, his rookie year to now that second your jump is important and he's a leaping He's not just jumping, he is a leaping.
Speaker 4: Well, remember he got thrown in at left tackle his rookie year. He goes through all the off season at guard, and then Tyron Smith gets hurt right at the end of training camp and hey, you're in the starting lineup as we expected. Oh but you're on the blind side at left tackle instead of left guard. So man, just but now to just leave him at left guard and just.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: It's what Schottenheimer, I think was actually the previous week, said he's just going to be a stud in this league for years to come.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And to kind of piggyback off the fact that, like how good Tyler is playing, there were times in this game where there were lanes open that you know, TP took a different angle or he took a different lane and so also to those those are things that you look at on tape and you say, Okay, how do we improve from there?
Speaker 7: How can we go forward from there?
Speaker 8: Because you, I mean, this offensive line to your point, is still trying to, you know, find some cohesiveness. Really looking for them to continue to improve in the passing game as well, because there were plenty of times sometimes that DAK was under fire, some pressure coming from the edges.
Speaker 7: Really need those guys to pick up some of those blitzes and be physical as well.
Speaker 8: So movement, but the run the run scheme, I think there were opportunities there this game and they didn't take them. But I also would have liked for them to take other avenues to run the ball if running the way they were running wasn't working.
Speaker 2: And that's a perfect transition to the passing game. Ladies, Let's open up that conversation for a little bit, because again, the passing game was kind of forced at that point, Christie, like you had mentioned, after the run was not established in receiving yard. Let's see, there was one hundred and sixty one total CD Lamb had five targets. He got the ball four times their forty nine yards averaging twelve point three yards per carry. And then Tony Pollard actually ranked second in receiving for the Cowboys in this game, same amount of targets and receptions as CD for thirty five yards. They are Jake Ferguson three receptions twenty eight yards.
Speaker 3: Overall, Let's get into the Ceedee.
Speaker 2: Lamb conversation because I feel like that's a big topic of conversation right now, of.
Speaker 3: Not getting him the ball enough. Nicole.
Speaker 2: When we were in the press conference yesterday with Mike McCarthy, he was asked about this, and he said, nobody wants to have Nobody wants CD.
Speaker 3: To have the ball more than me. How do you get him the ball more in these games?
Speaker 2: Because when you look at the totals right now, you look at the receiving totals so far in the last five games, CD's in the lead. He has the most targets, the most receptions. He has three hundred and fifty eight yards, but thirteen of those thirty five or excuse me, thirteen of those receptions.
Speaker 3: Came in Week two. So it's just not being distributed enough throughout games. How do you fix that?
Speaker 6: It's easy.
Speaker 5: You simply get that run game going to open up that passing game. I mean, there's no reason why. And his exact words were, if he doesn't pitched off about not getting the ball, you know, I'm pissed off that he's not pissed off about getting you know, us not getting him the ball.
Speaker 7: And so I think they.
Speaker 5: Want to try to find more ways to get him the ball. But now it's like you have to just establish that run game in order to create opportunities in the passing game.
Speaker 6: It's it's just as simple as.
Speaker 4: I was really struck by what seems like the most basic question yesterday. I think it was Todd Archer of ESPN dot com that asked it of Mike McCarthy, what is your offensive identity? And Mike talked about and who do you want to be, you know, on offense, and Mike talked about knowing you know, he said, this team is about defense. So we played to our defense. It's the strength of our team. So we can't give the ball away, you know, we want to We want to possess the ball and have long drives and limit the amount of time that our defense has to be on the field. And it's something that you know, I mean Jason Garret wanted to do the same thing. All teams want to do that. Forty nine Ers did it against the Cowboys with those long drives and things like that.
Speaker 6: But just thought it was really.
Speaker 4: Interesting where the offensive coach and the offensive play caller groos also the head coach comes out and says, we're gonna play to our defense.
Speaker 6: So yeah, you don't like that.
Speaker 8: I mean, I like it, but at the same time, you got to have a counter for if your defense ain't got it that day.
Speaker 7: Ye fair, which is what happened very.
Speaker 8: Exactly in that game, is where they went down and scored and then what is your plan after that? And for me, in regard to the CD Lamb thing, it's just like number one, the guys on the offensive side of the ball, they have to finish. And it's not just finishing, you know, finishing the play. It's finishing the route, rubbing when you're supposed to complete in the play. And I also felt like there's a lot of space and.
Speaker 7: Stuff going on.
Speaker 8: It was a lot of two receivers in one space and stuff like that where it's like, hey, we got to figure out they gotta get on the same page offensively, because it does look like there's some confusion going on there as well.
Speaker 7: And you mentioned the run game opening up the pass.
Speaker 8: Heck, yeah, it will open up the pass, especially when you're not passing out a shotgun all the time. I mean, do some things under center, do some of the play action things. I personally felt like there was not enough schematic stuff to get your guys open. I think Shoddy and Muccarthy they mentioned that the Niners played more man than what they normally do.
Speaker 7: They did.
Speaker 8: They are typically a zone team. They'll sprinkle in some men, but they're typically a zone team.
Speaker 7: They played the Cowboys straight up yesterday, pressed.
Speaker 8: Them at the line of scrimmage, and there wasn't a counter. That's the problem, Like that was my problem, is that there wasn't a consistent counter to what this defense came out and did to you that was different than what you planned on. But then also too, these receivers have to play through that contact. They have to figure out how to fight through that adversity when things don't go their way, And so it's a mixed Sure, there's there's conversation we had all across the line with the receiving game, but I mean it's that was one of the biggest things is fighting through the contact, have an a counter and figure it out other ways to get you know, to get your guys open when they need to be.
Speaker 5: But then when they are open, you have Dak that's throwing into double coverage.
Speaker 7: Like you have to make better decisions as a quarterback.
Speaker 5: And that's no shade to Dak, but like you have to make better decisions if you have CD, Like CD was wide open on maybe there were times, yeah, absolutely, and so it's like at that point, you just have to make better decisions.
Speaker 2: So let's get into that conversation after this next break. Let's talk about Dak Prescott, maybe the play calling, if what the issues are that we can pick out of the game. We'll get into some special teams. I know Nicole got to talk to Brian Ingery yesterday, so we'll get into that, and then of course we're going to talk defense.
Speaker 3: Stick with us. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigseel and we'll be right back.
Speaker 9: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 7: Pepsi baby, the.
Speaker 9: Yin to this Burger's Yang, Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettus, every sesame seed on the butt, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold Coola a journey to foutopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 10: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We're gonna talk more Jack Prescott discussion as well as play calling. But first, the most action packed motorsports experience in the world returns to Arlington Head to A T and D Stadium this Saturday, October fourteenth for Monster Jam. Tickets are available now at seageek dot com. A, the official ticketing.
Speaker 3: Provider of AT and T Stadium. Well, I've never been a monster jam, but it sounds.
Speaker 7: It's really cool.
Speaker 6: It's really cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a big monster, giant hare, giant engines.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of families got that scared me. Oh my gosh, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, someone's fired up over here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the coffee my bag. Y'all take this.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's continue our conversation.
Speaker 2: The coot brought up Jack Prescott not making the best decisions during this game. I see you were talking about Hayde and see the field very well. Christy, you were on the sidelines of the game. What did you think of Dax's play? What did you notice maybe a difference from the first half to the second quarterly?
Speaker 3: I mean, what did you notice from how he was.
Speaker 4: Playing during the well, you know, when the game was getting away in the second half and then kind of having to force it in there.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: So that's not an excuse, it's just a you know, facts or facts. Yeah, Uh, that's.
Speaker 6: How it is.
Speaker 4: I would say that in not getting the ball to CD or some of the other guys, only I say, only twenty six pass attempts. You would think that it would be higher, especially when you're falling behind and you know, needing to play catch up. And so CD was tied with Michael Gallup in terms of the most targets in this game with five. Tony Pollard was also targeted with five and so.
Speaker 6: And then Cooper.
Speaker 4: Rush had a couple of attempts there late in the fourth quarter. But uh, and then you look at brought perty stat line and he only had twenty four attempts and like a one forty four rating. But what did they connect on that? The Cowboys didn't the big plays right, those catalytic, those long plays. And so we talked yesterday about how there were some shots down the field in this game, particularly early couple that didn't connect with Michael Gallup or a couple to Brandon Cooks, one of them that was the interception later, so they were they were trying to get it, but San Francisco connected on theirs and Dak and the Cowboys didn't on their own goal.
Speaker 3: And how how do you fix that? What's the solution for this?
Speaker 2: Because here's the thing we just talked about, how CD's not getting the ball enough. We've been talking about how Brandon Cooks isn't getting the ball enough. Earlier a few weeks ago, we're talking about how Michael Gallup's not getting the ball enough. So it seems like a ball distribution issue game to game, and given that could change with the game plan, right, you're going to see games where some guys get the ball more than others.
Speaker 3: But what is your playmaker? You're starting receiver in Ceedee Lamb, how do you get him more open? What did you notice from the film?
Speaker 7: I mean, as far as getting them more open?
Speaker 8: I think I meant it when I said work sometimes, Yeah, he was open sometimes. We going back to when Nicole said earlier about you know the quarterback. Quarterback got to see the feel better also too, he gotta be patient. I felt like to your point, Christy, they did take some shots, but with what purpose? You know what that you're you're this defense is not stupid, you know what I'm saying? Like, are you are you setting something up? But with the lack of run game, it's hard to set up anything deep downfield. And then also to if you're passing deep, you're passing out a shotgun every single time you're playing. You take when you do that when you do so many plays out of shotgun, you take away the ambiguity of what you're gonna do if you are going to pass the ball off or hand the ball off. There they were so much more successful handing off the ball out of center and stuff in this game. I would like to see some more of that. But as far as getting him open, hey man, listen, some days.
Speaker 7: Your guy ain't got it.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 8: I was surprised how tight Oliver played CD Lamb because he's he's been had in previous games. But they came up, they played pressman and they were winning at the line of scrimmage their secondary. So an OC got to say, all right, man, they ain't got it. Let me figure that out. So I was looking for again the counter, but also to your quarterback. Did miss opportunities on this field when these guys were open, and it just felt like from there it just it kind of shrunk like when you miss those, especially against the defense like this, if that might slip and fall, you better take it to the house. You better take advantage of that because they tackle well and they have opportunity. They don't have a lot of opportunities. Also, would have liked to see more Jay Ferguson, because when you go look back at that tape, he was winning that matchup with Frevy Water often and that is very difficult to do.
Speaker 7: And so when you talk about ball distribution.
Speaker 8: It's not even just about the wide receivers, it's about the titands as well. And Dak missed Schoonmaker earlier in that game. Begin that game, you overshot them. You mentioned Nicole, you gotta be on the money.
Speaker 7: That could have changed things as well.
Speaker 8: So it's it's the QBC in the field, but also being able to say, hey, we ain't got it today. Let me do things to scheme my guys open, so they're not just looking like they're stuck in mud at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 4: Just four targets to tight ends this weekend that it hurts.
Speaker 7: It hurts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm glad you mentioned Oliver, who's their nickelback for San Francisco.
Speaker 6: I thought he was one of the unsung heroes of that game.
Speaker 3: And sure's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think when you're talking about the Cowboys transforming to a more West Coast system, you're not gonna see as much tight end usage in the past game as much.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't mean you don't see it at all.
Speaker 7: You still you should.
Speaker 2: But in the red zone, we haven't had the opportunity to see it, and that's where it's the most needed right now. You don't even have the chance to see what the red zone plan was for the Cowboys this week. Let's be honest, because I think if you're gonna get them involved, you need.
Speaker 3: A guy to fill the Dulton Shultz shoes in the red zone. You need a guy to feel dizzy shoes. But yeah, you have a group.
Speaker 2: Of very capable tight ends in this game. Jake Ferguson can get you that yakyard jack yardage that you need in the red zone that you need to get downfielding.
Speaker 3: Games like this, but just wasn't utilized.
Speaker 2: And so for targets two tight ends overall, who was Jake Ferguson, Sean McEwan because he was elevated from the practice squad, and then Luke scoon Maker.
Speaker 3: It's not acceptable as the play calling.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a lot of blame that you can give offensively here that needs to get better. And like Christy mentioned yesterday, Mike McCarthy said that today is another day to go over everything, get the emotions out of the game, and then they're going to turn the page starting tomorrow. So excited to turn the page. Let's turn the page two Special Teams for a second.
Speaker 3: I want to go transition one. Oh nothing, I'm just listening. I'm just see she's looking at me.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, No, I was listening now she was, really I was are.
Speaker 2: We Bey's the only one here, just like staring at me like normal? Na, okay, well I love you, okay, Oh, Jazz is staring at me. Great, Okay, Let's transition to Special teams. Because here's the thing. Special teams often overlooked as a unit that does so much, but it's just so underappreciated. Uh and we talk about it all the time here on this podcast, but let's talk about it because losing CJ. Goodwin potentially for an extended period of time, it's and and Cavante Turp and potentially we don't know exactly what those injury extends are right now, we don't know yet, but let's let's say that both of them are out for extended periods of time.
Speaker 3: It's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not good for your Special Teams unit. And it's just it makes everybody work a little bit harder and in ways that they were already kind of struggling before.
Speaker 3: Nicole.
Speaker 2: You got to sit down with Brian Anger yesterday, an unspoken hero of this team, just a veteran leader who's such a quiet leader, but such a vital part of this special teams unit. I know he's been vital in helping Brandon Aubrey ads and he's just a great locker room guy overall. We talked about it, Christy and I do all the time. What did you get to learn from Brian yesterday after the game and some key points that you got from him from Cowboys Hour yesterday.
Speaker 5: Well, one funny thing he likes to fish, that's funny.
Speaker 7: But no, he talked about CJ.
Speaker 5: Goodwin and how that loss is going to be really huge for them, and I know Brad actually mentioned him that someone's gonna his quote was about CJ. That someone's gonna realize one day that he could probably be an All Pro player, you know, just based off how good he is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and so, but no, talking.
Speaker 5: With Brian, he basically had said that you know, this guy went from playing basketball at like Bethany College. I believe it was a smaller school and then he just all of a sudden picked up football, you know, ran a four, two nine and a forty. He's like, I mean, you have to miss a guy like that, especially who's produced so much for us on special teams.
Speaker 7: But hey, we've got Jalen.
Speaker 6: Tolbert, you know.
Speaker 7: So I think that he can step up.
Speaker 5: He hash shown that he can step up, like in the Patriots game, you know, penning them inside the ten. So I mean they have full faith in Fossil of course as special teams coordinator, and they got faith in Jalen Tolbert.
Speaker 7: So I know they're gonna I know c J.
Speaker 6: Goodwin's gonna be missed.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Chris, Yeah, So the way that they addressed it in the game on Sunday because CJ got hurt early in the in the first quarter, went back out there for one more play and then basically missed the rest of the game. So Tolbert was it one gunner, and then they inserted Noah Igbinoghany as the other gunner in place of CJ. And I think that Jalen Tolbert, to your point, Nicole, has proven himself just in the first month of the seasons as a really good force in coverage at gunner, and so you know, maybe the special teams coordinators for the other team shift a little more focus to Jalen moving forward, because CJ is the guy that you really kind of have to plan for. So he's not just not just the leader, the veteran guy and the veteran presence, but really your most productive special teams guy. But the other thing is with Cavante Turpin not having him, what they did Sunday for the remainder of the second quarter and then for the second half, Ducevaughn took over on punt returns and Ricodoutle on kickoff returns. Well, here's the thing. Those guys are normally blocking for Cavante, So when they are taking over as the returners, then not only have you had to replace CJ, but you've had to replace Cavante and CJ with blocking. So you've had to make two moves there. And so you know, the special teams guys are mainly backups anyway, you have a few starters in there, like Jake Ferguson is a key guy. For example, when it's field goals and extra points, certainly you're starting offensive linemen or.
Speaker 6: Out there to help block.
Speaker 4: But it is a real domino effect, and so they were really, especially the second half of that game, working on the fly. It was almost like a preseason game in terms of all hands on deck and trying to make all of these personnel changes as the game moved along. But yeah, just from a personal standpoint and having a good relationship with CJ for the past several years, you know, my heart hurts for him because he really is a key guy. And Brad's right, he should have been in the Pro Bowl at least twice really over the past four or five years that he's past four or five seasons. But the Turpin thing, I know that Mike McCarthy said he's hopeful that he might be able to practice and maybe even play on Monday.
Speaker 6: We really won't know until.
Speaker 4: They have their first full practice this week, which will be on Thursday, extra day going into the Monday game.
Speaker 6: But man, I don't know. I don't know the way I don't I'm.
Speaker 4: Hopeful that Turpin will be able to play, but man, that the dominoes are really going to fall if he's not able to.
Speaker 2: I also think it's interesting too to see how they place him in the game. So you have Deuce Vaughan and then you have ric o'dowdell who were both kind of taking.
Speaker 4: Reps, yeah, but also at wide receiver for Turpin and with that package.
Speaker 6: So would Jalen Brooks be your fifth receiver?
Speaker 7: Probably?
Speaker 4: Probably probably Brooks as your fifth receiver. Brooks was active when Brandon Cooks was not available for Game two or Game three within the knee injury, and so Brooks would probably be active. And he you know, he can obviously if you're the fifth or sixth wide receiver, you're playing special teams, right, so he could help be another person out there and help on coverage and blocking and things like that. But you know, I guess the positive was the Brandon Aubrey with his fifty yard kick that was still solid.
Speaker 2: So I love that we have Brandon Aubrey's fifty yard kicks on this podcast and.
Speaker 3: All over, Kevin, let's take our next break.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're going to continue the special teams conversation just a little bit, a couple more points there as well as the Cowboys defense. When I just saw on film what we heard from Dan Quinn yesterday and a couple of little nuggets that we can throw out. And we have a question to answer from someone on Twitter that I want to end the conversation with, so we'll get to all of.
Speaker 3: That after this break. This is girls Talk, Boys Talk. Stick with us and we will be right back.
Speaker 10: At Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: You know that sound anywhere, the crisp crunch that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 6: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 9: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool pepsi finish nachos better with PEPSI that's what I like.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to our final segment of Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We're getting into a little more postgame discussion, but first, the Pro Shop at the Northeast Small and Arlington, Texas on Saturday, October fifteenth between eleven am and four pm for Cowboys collections on tour, see rare team archives, customize headwear, grab a gift with purchase, and enter a chance to win to give away.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned for more.
Speaker 2: Tour stops coming throughout the season. Sorry, guys, I had to sneeze. I'm holding in to sneeze here. Anyways, Let's get into a little bit more of special teams, because here's the thing I think.
Speaker 3: When it comes to we're just talking about Brandon Aubrey.
Speaker 2: He is your top scorer on this team right now.
Speaker 4: And that's not necessarily a good thing. It's not a good thing because you don't want to settle for threes. You want your kickers to have a lot of ones for extra points, not a bunch of threes for field goals. Because you've been stalin in the red zone.
Speaker 3: Let's go through this.
Speaker 2: He has fourteen field goals and then ten extra point kicks. There, fifty two points for the season so far, and that's a lot of points for your kicks.
Speaker 3: In only five games. I would just like to point that out.
Speaker 2: It's only been five games and those are his stats. We praise Brandon Aubrey's leg so much, but it's gonna need a break at some point.
Speaker 6: Give me mistick to extra points, points.
Speaker 2: And you know, just give the man a break. It's a long season ahead. But I love Brandon Aubrey's story and I love what you've been able to see because the conversation, if you go back to week one a little bit, the conversation was not Brandon Aubrey is going to be carrying this team on his back to score points during games.
Speaker 3: It was is he even the kicker? Is Hee the certain kicker?
Speaker 2: Remember preseason, everyone was questioning, see the guy? Do you go and get another kicker? And I'm so proud of what he's been able to do during his time here, and a large part of that he credits to guys like Brian Anger, Trent Seg your long snapper there as well. So we're going back to you know, the the ripple effect of CJ. Goodwe here, there are veterans within this unit, but when you lose a guy like CJ. Goodwin, who, by the way, when you saw that blocked kick a couple weeks ago, kind.
Speaker 3: Of spearheaded that during the game, made the call to.
Speaker 2: Say, hey, we got this look at practice the morning before in the ballroom at the hotel. The guys were practicing the same thing, and then it transpired into the game because CJ. Goodwin was the one running that operation behind bones fossil. So again, it may not be a ripple effect that you see automatically from special teams, but it could be a ripple.
Speaker 3: Effect of what you don't see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's not necessarily good because blocked kicks, muffed punts that they return, things of that nature, right, things that you don't see that could add more of a threat to.
Speaker 3: This Cowboys team overall. So wanted to throw that out there.
Speaker 2: All right, defense ladies, let's get to our last segment. Here, Aisha, I see you doodle in over there. Oh yeah, I see you doodle in. She's underlining the important thing she wants to talk about, the thing about Ayisha's notes is. It's funny because I've known her for a year and now we've been doing this podcast.
Speaker 3: I know what that says.
Speaker 2: I think if anybody just looks at it, nobody would know what it says.
Speaker 7: It's chaotic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so fun to watch.
Speaker 2: But what does what do your notes say about what you saw from the Cowboys defense and what you saw specifically in the second half of the game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, go there.
Speaker 8: I mean you mentioned number one. I wanted to just pick it back really quickly off of what you said about the blocked kicks. Yanye was close a couple of times.
Speaker 7: He's gonna get another one.
Speaker 8: His speed off the off the line is just is different. I'll say that he's really twitchy, and so I wanted to highlight that that I do think that he's gonna get another.
Speaker 6: You're making the call. You're making the call.
Speaker 7: Hoping that he gets another one.
Speaker 8: Now from this defense, the forty nine ers play a lot of quick game. So we talked about it yesterday where I was like, I was surprised at the lack of pressure that they got that plays into it, as well as the fact that the forty nine.
Speaker 7: Ers get the ball out a lot. I believe that my not Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 8: Dan quinn said, you know that they wanted to create longer third downs. He was hoping that they created more longer third downs. They had fourteen third downs total, sounds like, and they had seven under four yards where they had five wins and two losses, and then they had seven four yards and more and they had five.
Speaker 7: Losses and two wins.
Speaker 8: So you kind of see the balance there, and they were hoping to get them into more third and short situations. With that being said, one of the biggest problems that I well, one of the biggest issues was there was.
Speaker 7: A lot of leaky yardage.
Speaker 8: Well we talked about on this We talked about on this podcast that these guys needed to tackle and be sure tacklers, but the Niners just fought for just a couple more yards here and there, or a couple more yards after contact here and there.
Speaker 7: Really was also surprised.
Speaker 8: That the Cowboys didn't disguise more in the secondary. They ended up playing. This is that Cowboys are heavy man team. They ended up playing a lot more zone and I thought that they would be.
Speaker 7: A good mix of that, but that's not happened.
Speaker 8: And so really For me, it was just the fact they could not get them off the field on third down, whether it was for leaky yardage a couple of yards a couple of downs before, or the penalties on the key third down situations where they had gotten them off the field.
Speaker 7: And I mean just san Fran also too.
Speaker 8: They just I mean, they just do such a good job causing conflict, getting your guys to run into each other, rubs, stuff like that. And I think not disguising as much as the Cowboys could have done, really put them in a play. They played them straight up almost. They were just like, yeah, can you beat it? And I'm like, no, brock Perdy has had another year of being a quarter another he's had more time at being a quarterback. You've got to show him some different looks. Get your past rush from time, make him come off that first read. And I wasn't sure we saw that consistently. There were a few highlighted guys, but other.
Speaker 7: Than that, yeah, it just wasn't a good day in the office.
Speaker 8: LV sad he got hurt because he was very sound against the runs here early in that game. So yeah, just those to me, that was the big takeaway. I took from it, and I was glad that Dan Quinn mentioned creating the shorter, I mean, the longer third downs because that's where that defense thrives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pin your ears back, yes, third and long. And then Dan also mentioned that the one time they got him in a third and fifteen and they give up an explosive play, you know, so you do that, Yeah, you can't do that because because the defense has been good at taking advantage of that, you know, three of the previous four games. But you're right about the leaky yards when instead of holding him to a two yard run, when that becomes a four to five yard run, and like, yeah, and it's a shorter second down, shorter third down. But the way Dan put it was he says, it's like paper cuts, you know, just get again, get death by.
Speaker 6: A thousand paper cuts. It's basically what it was.
Speaker 3: It's a great Tailor Swift song.
Speaker 6: Oh does that you got?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 6: Jesse? Get ready? We had a Tailor.
Speaker 3: Swift to be fair, that's what Dan said. Saxcuse me, Mike said death by thousand cus that's an in the prescot.
Speaker 6: I was like, but it's a Taylor Swift reference.
Speaker 3: But I thought, wait, I had in my head. I thought that's a Taylor Swift song when he said it, but I didn't say.
Speaker 6: That quarter is from from Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Wait, so when do we put because I'm just quoting what michaemccarthy said, so it does not count.
Speaker 5: Wait, so since when do we put coins in the jar for Taylor Swift?
Speaker 7: You haven't gotten you care say this point.
Speaker 2: We actually I got a tweet about you. What yours is going to be? Yeah, we got a tweet when we put a quarter in for you, and we'll talk about it after the show.
Speaker 3: Sty we got a tweet about it. Everybody, we have a we have our own things that we have to put in there.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying, yep, I don't know what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Ain't that the same?
Speaker 3: Yeah, anytime you say you know what I'm saying, you have.
Speaker 8: To say I say that a lot, not a lot, but you say it.
Speaker 4: But it's all either for a Christmas fund or for charity. So well we'll decide later.
Speaker 8: Asking his birthday birthday, Yeah, we're gonna be broke it all right, you know what coming along, You're gonna be broke from the puns.
Speaker 6: So sorry, Yeah, but we got questions, we got question.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Twitter, let's end this episode with a good question that we got here on Twitter. I tweeted to send us your questions. I'm sorry we didn't get to all of them. We will save them throughout the week, though Jamie wants to know.
Speaker 3: He said, good evening from the UK.
Speaker 2: Does it, James last week's sho where the Cowboys really are or aren't likely to challenge the likes of the Eagles and forty nine ers in the NFC? Or do you think it was just a bad day in the office and we don't see that kind of performance again this season? Honest opinions here based on that question.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, are you going first, Nicole?
Speaker 6: Who's going first?
Speaker 10: First?
Speaker 2: Come?
Speaker 5: Well, let me say I hope it doesn't happen again. I hope that it was a bad day in the office and it was just kind of like, okay, like the Cardinals game, like let's just throw it away.
Speaker 7: Let's just hope that was that.
Speaker 5: But I think that now you've gotten exposed as an offense. You've been relying and playing behind your defense all season long.
Speaker 7: Now I feel like.
Speaker 5: You got to step up, and I'm hoping that like I said, that was just a bad day in the office. Now this team has had time, You've got extra days. Now you've got to step up because again, like I said yesterday, your schedule is not getting easier. So I mean, no, I hope. I'm not going to say that it might not happen, but I definitely hope, certainly hope it does not happen.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 4: I'll go to what Bill Parcells used to say, you are what your record says you are. This is a three and two team, and there's no shame in losing to a forty nine ers team which proved itself on game Day Sunday to be the superior team. But the fact that the defense, who by Mike McCarthy's admission, is the strength of the team, win two out of three games, and they're coming saying that's not us, that's not good. This team is not good enough if they do not play com implementary football. This team is not good enough for one phase to carry all three to this point, to this point, Can that change, Jamie moving forward? We hope, So I really don't. We still haven't seen this offense. It's at full strength or at you know, full throttle and it's been five games, Okay, there's no more excuses moving forward. You've got your five offensive linemen. You can't use that as an excuse anymore. We're not at full strength along the offensive line.
Speaker 6: Dak needs to play better.
Speaker 4: He's the first to say that we need to get the ball to CD more. Yeah, but we also need to get it to Brandon Cooks and Michael Gallop and to the tight ends and Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershott needs to get back and healthy and get involved. So ball distribution is going to be the thing, and it's all about matchup.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 4: Don't get worried that CD was targeted eight times this time and Michael only twice. It's going to depend week to week, okay, So don't get caught up in the numbers. Week you know, week to week that's gonna vary. But you are what your record says you are, and right now they're not equal to the forty nine ers, and hopefully we get a chance to play them again in January.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna answer the question guys saying that if I think both sides of the ball got to look themselves in the mirror and ask themselves what they want to be. And that's like to me, guest coaches included, just because it's it's not working, it's a players and it's.
Speaker 7: It's all the way around.
Speaker 8: So to me, if they don't make changes internally within themselves, their decision making, some of their however they decide to do things, then yeah, this is this is what they're gonna be. But you've seen in this last few games, like there has to be changes made. I with your ideals and how you decide to go about, you know, continue to push this team because clearly the offensive side of the ball they're struggling with some certain things, but defensively as well, what is your your bread and butter? Like, how are you guys gonna go forward? And if your bread and butter's not working anymore, what changes can you make to go ahead and evolve Because it might just be time for that, Like, it might just be time to evolve in different ways. So if they stay like this and they don't change anything, yeah, but they got to make some decisions amongst each other to give.
Speaker 4: Hiad yea And by the way, Lighton vander ash is going to miss some time. Yeah, you know which several weeks at least, Yeah, handful of games, so at least hopefully he'll be back, but we don't know how long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know, and we can get in this discussion tomorrow. But if you remember how the run defense looked last season and when the conversation came up, it's when he had that next stinger, and so we'll get into that.
Speaker 3: Here's what I think about that question.
Speaker 2: I think that when you lose to a forty nine Ers team, who is arguably the best in the NFL right now, doesn't necessarily define you. What defines you is how you bounce back from this, because, like you said, Christy, there's nothing left that you can say is getting in your way anymore. Can't be emotional for this next game, you can't overhype it, you can't get to in your head about it.
Speaker 3: It's either you do it or you don't. You execute or you don't. You have a game plan it's not working, you adjust it or you don't. And that's what's going to define the team. You're only five weeks in. Your team is three and two. Other three and.
Speaker 2: Two teams include the Bills, the Steelers, the Ravens, the Jags, the Colts can keep going down this list, and the Saints.
Speaker 3: Three and two is not a horrible record.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, you're still vying for a playoff run. At this point, you're still talking about the playoffs in this conversation because.
Speaker 3: You have the talent on this team. But how you decide to execute going forward that defines this football team. It's not what happened on Sunday night, and it's not anything that's happened these last five weeks. It's what you learn from it, what you take away from it, and what you decide to execute on going forward.
Speaker 7: So you better pivot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, Well, ladies, our time has come to an end. We went a little bit over today, but all in good, good stuff. Here Tomorrow we're gonna turn page officially. We're gonna start talking all things Chargers for your Monday night football game. So you get a Sunday to kind of rest and get ready for Monday night.
Speaker 3: But we're gonna give you all the previews like we normally do in a normal week Wednesday and Thursday as well. So with that being said, we'll be back here tomorrow. Please take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: It is world mental health day, so please make sure to take care of yourself, ask for help if you need it. You are important, you are very loved, and I'm so glad that we can do this podcast to remind you of that every day.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your day. For Christine, a Cool, Aisha and Jess, we appreciate the heck out of you. Go be amazing. This has been Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw and We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.