Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia.
Speaker 2: Judice, Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Fessler.
Speaker 3: This is a very special episode of Dirty Rush. We are on a top secret sorority girl and one fraternity boy retreat. I will not even say where we are, but what we want you all to know is that it's work week and a lot of people are probably saying to themselves, the hell is work week? A sorority girl, especially this younger era of sorority girls, really knows what work week is. I think in I am fifty, so in my era, I don't know that we actually called it work week, but we called it pre rush. So we want to let everybody listening in on the secrets of work week. So we begin with Catherine, who is a current Kapa Kapa gamma at a school we will not name.
Speaker 4: Uh, Catherine, what year are you?
Speaker 5: I'm going to be a senior, So let me ask you this first.
Speaker 3: Do seniors get to do less work during rush than sophomores and juniors?
Speaker 5: We do less during work week?
Speaker 6: We do the same amount as Rush just because we've already done it in the past.
Speaker 5: We've learned everything. We kind of the gist.
Speaker 6: We'll go into work week the last day just to like get our groove.
Speaker 5: With the younger people.
Speaker 6: Make sure that like we can like memory, like re memorize everything, because it's like it's like riding a bike, like you learn the songs once, like you get it again after doing it with the group.
Speaker 5: But Rush you are there for the entire part of it.
Speaker 3: So for people listening, work week is happening right now all over the country, and at some schools work week is actually two weeks. I was astounded to learn that at your school, is it work week?
Speaker 4: Is it how long? It's taking a.
Speaker 6: Week and half like counting weekends and like a couple like two days before rush as well, So it's probably it's around like nine days for us.
Speaker 3: So can you give us an overview of for you, what work week is? What is happening during work week?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we A lot of it revolves around learning bump groups. Bump groups change each round of Rush. It can change depending on how many people are in each party. I mean some days you're having twelve parties in just sisterhood day, and there's a certain amount of number of girls, and like you're figuring that out day of five minutes before you're opening those doors and having these p and ms come in. So a lot of it is you're matching girls in your bump group.
Speaker 3: You're literally like you don't start to interrupting, but you don't do the same bump group for the whole week. No, what is the strategy behind changing the bump group?
Speaker 5: We our first two days we do randoms.
Speaker 6: So when we have the p and ms in front of the door, you grab the first girl that you see, Like we teach everyone, like the first person you lock guys with, you were grabbing them and you were walking with them.
Speaker 4: Are you also.
Speaker 3: Taught that that girl is the shiniest star you've ever met in your life?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Absolutely, you are. You better know their name.
Speaker 6: And you better know where they're from, their hometown, asking them questions because those things also then you need to remember it going to vote for them right after, because you're gonna talk to like three girls in one party, and if you don't remember their name, you don't remember like the facts about them, You're gonna go after they leave and have to go vote on them and be like, oh my god, like who was this girl? I'm trying to remember her. I'm trying to remember her face. It's like you need to like lock those things then for sure as a.
Speaker 3: Bump group whole. Or do you vote individually and do you vote on an app?
Speaker 5: We vote on an app.
Speaker 6: We you go into a private room with your bump group. Our bump groups are normally around three girls. Max, You're really not supposed to talk to your people about it if you need to ask a question of like, hey, like, I'm really feeling kind of conflicted right now because like I liked this girl, but like I don't know like how well she would fit in the or like I don't know if she seems like she really cares or like values like our chapter, et cetera. So like you can ask for like advice, like you really should not like be trying to And.
Speaker 3: Two quick questions, can somebody that knows that girl previously vote on her?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: And also do you have I don't know what we call them, maybe roamers, Like they're not in a bump group, but they're roaming and they can go up and talk to anyone they want during a party and then go vote on that girl.
Speaker 6: No, we cannot do that. You like absolutely. The only time that you can do that is PREF. And what we do is if you know the girl as like you went to high school with her or you were I don't know, some type of like hometown person to her, you can go into their like the room that she's talking to someone in and like walk in and be like hi, Like we do this thing where for PREF we read like letters, like we read like letters from like your like their parents, and like we surprise them with them. So like sometimes like we'll have like the person that they know like homeship come in and be like hey, like I wanted to come in and like like read these letters to you.
Speaker 5: And then's supposed to do this like whole floaterer buying.
Speaker 3: So a floater could go during the party and talk to anyone they want and then go vote on the person.
Speaker 6: If a floater for us, you can only vote on them if you had a conversation with them. If you did not have a conversation with them, you cannot vote on them.
Speaker 3: Interesting, all right, So for everybody again, sum up what is happening during work week? What is possibly being done twenty four hours a day for more than a week to prepare.
Speaker 6: For Rush overall grand things, your songs, memorizing them, doing them with one hundred and twenty girls.
Speaker 4: You sing a little of one of your songs. Yeah, I could let.
Speaker 6: Me think Kaya Pfea take it twice an Ada Ga Mma Kapa Kappa Gamma. Yeah, and we do that. That's like our day one song. And you do that for maybe ten minutes while all the girls are coming into the house.
Speaker 5: And then once everyone's say.
Speaker 4: Open while you're singing or do you have to wait till it's closed.
Speaker 5: Once the door closes, that's when we stop singing.
Speaker 4: That's like that you're now allowed to sing when they come in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they'll be coming in, everyone's singing, and then once that door closes, that's like the queue for everyone to stop singing. It has to like travel down throughout the house for everyone to know like done.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we'll get I mean, obviously, welcome to season two of Dirty Rush. This is you know, great stuff. We're going to bring this all to you live from all over the country at Sorority Rush everywhere. But right now we're focusing on work week. So again, tell me the most probably the top five things other than a bump group that happened, So bump group song. Give me three more things.
Speaker 6: The things that you need to ask them and how to respond to questions of like day for example, they prepare you of like you might have a girl that's going to come in and say, like I want to be in a sorority, to go to frat day parties and meet a frat guy and have him be my boyfriend, which is exactly.
Speaker 4: What ninety nine percent of every girl wants.
Speaker 6: And so we'll do like practice conversations, like literally like our like president and vice president will walk around and make sure that we're like actually practicing this, and like we'll like literally practice I use this question.
Speaker 3: Say if someone says I want to be in this house because you party with the cutest fraternity boys.
Speaker 6: You have to just really divert and be like, well, so being in Greek life obviously, like we have a lot of great fraternities. They're very very You have to be so careful about not saying rats.
Speaker 5: You cannot say frat names.
Speaker 6: It has to be a fraternity or a sorority or just overall cross life.
Speaker 4: Okay, we are.
Speaker 5: Greek life is a community.
Speaker 6: You're gonna get to know so many other people, and it's really a school inside of a school, and luckily, like we're able to do so many fun events with and it can all be real.
Speaker 3: So there's one, two, three, four, five, six, seven of us here, all in a sorority and one fraternity.
Speaker 5: Do you ever.
Speaker 3: Feel like and again we're gonna get back to work week, that you're lying during rush? I mean yeah, like that just seems like a lie. Like if somebody actually said to me, Hey, I want to be in this sorority because you hang out with really fun boys and I hope one of them is gonna be my boyfriend and just make my college experience great.
Speaker 4: That is actually true.
Speaker 6: We have this thing, and it's like a very like common known thing I think amongst people who've done rush. Now to where the very every single day until pref PREF is the day to where you can like let loose and like you actually talk about.
Speaker 5: Like drinking and dating and partying.
Speaker 4: So we lie to you. We lied to you.
Speaker 6: We lie to you, like that's like the rules of like you don't talk about like the.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're handing them my phone to M. We're gonna call her M who we love, hold on who went to a different school, and what sorority were you at this unnamed school?
Speaker 7: I was in Alpha Fie Alpha Fee.
Speaker 4: Okay, these are top houses these girls are in.
Speaker 7: Okay to you and then you get haste.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, well let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we're getting distracted here at our sorority retreat.
Speaker 4: We're on, but we're gonna go back to work week.
Speaker 3: But give the microphone to em for a second there, so EM, do you hayes because I was in a.
Speaker 4: Sorority and we do not hayes.
Speaker 3: We hayze interesting And would you say, uh, that's at your school, this particular unnamed school, Alpha Fee or do you feel that that could be the case.
Speaker 4: Of Alpha FI in general?
Speaker 7: I feel like it's definitely a mix of both.
Speaker 8: I feel like a lot of schools try to make it like an undercover thing, but they must definitely do it. And the girls depending who you get preffed by, and the girls who's like gonna be your big or like you connected with during work week and rush they you got with them, at least we did. We went out with them on the first night after you got your bid, and they would.
Speaker 5: We'd go out and do whatever and.
Speaker 9: Go to frash.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, this is gonna be a whole other episode because right now we're gonna focus back on work week. But this sorority retre we're on is gonna bring you a lot of top secret information. And the reason we don't use real names, and the reason we don't say schools is because we want to be able to bring you the real truth. So back to work week. So bump groups, songs, how to answer really lie? How lie when someone asked you a question?
Speaker 4: Got it? And what are two more things that happened during work week?
Speaker 5: Your social videos? Okay, with all the other houses too.
Speaker 4: From my era?
Speaker 3: Also, I can unequivocally say there was no hazing at all zero in my era. But we'll go that'll be a different episode. So these social videos, So what is the point of them? What do you feel as the point of these?
Speaker 6: I think the main point is honestly for the p and ms to see the like overall the vibes of the houses, but then also be able to tell like this looks like it would be the top house, Like this looks stizing advertising is like the this is like all the really pretty girls with really cute style and like they look fun and like energetic and like they like I think it's like a way for you to like be able to try to compete with all the other houses of like we're the coolest house, Like we're the best house, and like so the p and ms know when they're going in, like we want them to be like out in front of our door being like oh my god, I'm at Kappa right now, like like nervous, but like a good nervous, like I want this house.
Speaker 3: It is the social media that does that or reputation through the years.
Speaker 6: I think mainly social media, because unless they know someone that goes to that school, they're not really gonna have a full answer as to like what the top houses are at least I know, like when I was coming into my school, like I was able to solidly like look at each school's Instagram and kind of be like I see this vibe, like I see this house, like I see that house, and like you can kind of see like where you would want to probably fit in and yeah, So.
Speaker 3: How much time is put into all that hoopla that is happening in those videos which I also just realized it's really only the front girls actually doing the dances. I didn't realize that until I really zoomed in. I thought the whole house was doing these dances, and then I realized, like the majority of the girls are just doing waving in the background, and then this handful of like eight ten girls is actually performing.
Speaker 4: How much time do those things take?
Speaker 6: It takes a few tries, Like it definitely like you're out there for probably like an hour, like in the sun, like in your guys's costumes, and when doing these dances, cracking those things.
Speaker 4: I'm coming over.
Speaker 3: We got people we at this retreat we're at. There's a lot of sority girls and they are ready to raise their hands.
Speaker 4: We're coming in to you.
Speaker 6: But a lot of them for us, we choose all the girls who are on the dance team have been on the dance team, and like our social media chair, like she will have the tiktoks that we're gonna do the night before, She'll send them to the girls who are like our dance girls, Hey, learn this choreo tonight and like Uriah, yeah, all the linga, this is how it's gonna be, and have it ready to go by them.
Speaker 3: All that would be the social media chair as opposed to the rush chair. Does the rush chair have any say approval over it?
Speaker 6: Honestly no, I think they're so word with so much other stuff that they're like I don't care about, like the social media crop.
Speaker 4: And is rush chair what do you guys call that? We call it rush chair? Okay?
Speaker 5: Is that recruitment chair?
Speaker 3: Recruitment chair? Is that a coveted office? What did you do you guys we called office? What do you guys call it leaders leadership?
Speaker 5: We call it leadership?
Speaker 3: Is that something that is a coveted position? Or is that known as like that job as hell?
Speaker 5: It's kind of known as like that job as hell?
Speaker 6: And like you are gonna it's like you're committing your whole summer to it, pretty much like you're once you're done after mid day, like your job is pretty much done, but like your summer is literally dedicated to planning.
Speaker 4: So does the rush chair prepare that plan the outfits?
Speaker 6: They plan the outfits, they plan the hours like they're the ones to like do the timing for everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And is that are these outfits?
Speaker 3: So do you get like a note during summer like please bring one black, this one white, this one pink this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's very like your first two days, everyone's handed shirts. Then we have to do floral, and then the next floral we do floral dresses.
Speaker 5: Everyone.
Speaker 6: Everyone has to wear a certain type of floral dress. The next day we have to wear a specific blue shade dress for philanthropy.
Speaker 3: Okay, quick question, now, is it like if you don't have love shack fancy poo poo on you, or is it like hey, got this at home goods.
Speaker 4: I mean not home goods, sorry, TJ Max, I'm good.
Speaker 6: It's more so just like don't be wearing a kind of more like skimpy dress, like okay, look like like they're more so like we want to look classy.
Speaker 4: Like we're not here to like find you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like yes, like we want to look like we're speaking ell again, got it?
Speaker 4: Got it? Got it? Great?
Speaker 3: So nobody's too brand name me labely conscious. It's just like fit the theme.
Speaker 6: It's fit the theme and like look like you know, you could go to like lunch with your grandma on this dress. Like we don't want to be looking like we're gonna go out to the.
Speaker 3: It's the in your opinion sort of thought process behind that that it's just classier for the rushies.
Speaker 6: I think, like at least with my house, like we've definitely there's definitely stereotypes and like negative things that go around top houses when you go through recruitment of like they like our house is very much like they only take in blondes or like all their girls are just like dumb and like partiers or whatever. So it's like you more so like want to like go into rush of Like no, like we have our shit together, like I promise, like we're not like a mess or anything like that. So it's more just to like keep a good reputation going because like if you're a top house like on like your yik yak and whatever, like you're gonna get like slander and hate for a lot of things.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, so I yik yak I've heard of that was not around in my day. Let's pass the microphone to M. Now, M, you went to.
Speaker 4: A school.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I'll say on the West coast. You're not a Southern school, You're not a Texas school. So what does work week mean to you? And how long was work week?
Speaker 7: Work week was kind of like a dedicated week.
Speaker 8: It was a week for us just one week, and it was dedicated for us where we could not go out, could not drink.
Speaker 7: It was like super locked in.
Speaker 3: So does that mean like you have every meal in the house, like can you walk down to yogurt park or so for.
Speaker 8: Us we could only eat in on Mondays on Monday night dinner after a chapter house. Yes, so you're allowed to leave the house. And I didn't ever live in the Chopter house.
Speaker 9: So during week.
Speaker 8: Work week, and our houses are so small they couldn't even house all of us.
Speaker 3: So is are you going over to the sorority to practice? Is it similar to what Catherine was talking about at all with all all her priorities.
Speaker 7: No kind of yes and no, oh wait, give them mic back.
Speaker 6: Work week is like your week to go out and like party. It's like, oh that's not dry. Rush is dry. But so like since rush is dry, they're very much like, so this is your time to go out and have fun.
Speaker 3: When when work day is done, then it's at nine o'clock or whatever it is, then it's on and you're heading down the hill.
Speaker 6: Literally, girls are like looking at it like to the hour of like once twelve o'clock hits, like you're dry and then the moment after mid day immediately go out.
Speaker 3: Okay, now back to you, M what would happen if somebody did not show up for work week.
Speaker 8: I did not show up for work week and I did not get punished.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, and why did you not show up?
Speaker 8: I just knew how horrible it was my big how horrible was but my first year, I was actually out of town did not go to work week, and then after that I was like, Okay, I heard all this horrible things after my bid group like went and my piano like year went, and they're like, it's so horrible to not go. So I was on vacation actually the last week.
Speaker 3: Question not sorry to do so when they describe it as horrible, why why do you think work week has this reputation of being horrible.
Speaker 8: It's kind of just like a dedicated week where you put in like so much effort and so much time for p and ms. Yes, and like the outcome as you can find like a great little but at the same time it's like cool, like we're just dying to go out.
Speaker 4: WHOA, Okay, I didn't follow any of that. I'm not gonna lie. I just totally did not follow that give it to me again. So is it the work of work week?
Speaker 8: Or yeah, see the dresses you have to buy, the punishments that you get if you don't show up.
Speaker 4: If you can't go back, get a punishment.
Speaker 8: Well like once you're in it, Like I mean, all right, and it's just like a lot of work, Like people dread having to buy the dresses, going standing in the sun, learning the dances, posting on social media, having alpha fy.
Speaker 7: In your bio, not talking to the p and ms like it was.
Speaker 4: Just I have to laugh because honestly, it doesn't sound hard at all. It really doesn't. So all you.
Speaker 3: Delicate flowers out there when you actually have to go to work are gonna be.
Speaker 6: In nice hour days of like not our days longer and longer like guys the real world days sometimes.
Speaker 3: But give it back to m m uh. Did you participate in rush? And I guess my question is if you don't participate in work week, are you like totally not aware of how to do rush?
Speaker 4: Are you screwed? Essentially? If you don't do work week and then you show up for Rush.
Speaker 7: I didn't show up for Rush either, I just like didn't do the whole thing.
Speaker 9: I never had a little.
Speaker 4: You seem like not a great sorority member.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I think we're gonna take the mic from m and pass that along.
Speaker 3: Actually, before we go to the girls, let's go to our one fraternity boy. Man who's here, he's a man boy. Hello Michael, nice to see you. So, Michael, we will not name your school, but what is your fraternity?
Speaker 7: I'm in Sigma Kay.
Speaker 3: Great so well known fraternity across the country. Hearing the girls here, women ladies talk about work week? Is there anything that a fraternity does similar to this at all?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing is just meeting the guys. So the rush chair has kind of go through the same thing, making a list of all the new guys Instagrams, social medias and trying to meet them. I know people do some our meetups in certain towns, like there was a Chicago one I knew some kids at. There was a lot of people from Seattle at my school that all met up before.
Speaker 3: It does seem like there's way less rules, way less restrictions total, and you kind of meet each other in the summer and have an idea of the guys you want to have probably become pledges, yeah, and are you okay?
Speaker 4: So for guys, there is there a work week at all.
Speaker 3: No, So they're literally like rush starts this day, see you the night before.
Speaker 2: Actually, technically we do have a work week, it's mainly it's like rush week.
Speaker 4: Oh, it would be the same pil.
Speaker 2: Like I think the last two nights were up to like four am talking about the guys okay, deciding who you want to get, going through all them voting, But the first two nights are kind of just getting down getting some stories. I know it's different for every frattorney, but we had to get like seven stories for like each one's like ones and if their social ones like man of good character, man like it's stuff like that.
Speaker 4: You have to get some similarity, you have to get. Most attorneys are not like that, are not like that.
Speaker 2: We have to ask questions during rush week about filling these I guess like I don't know, yeah, yeah exactly, but I wouldn't you say over there, yes, But it's not really a work week.
Speaker 3: So I would think again, the work week for the boys men would be cleaning the house. Is that part of it? Like trying to make the house look a little less yucky?
Speaker 2: No, they don't care about don't care. I mean it looks clean it before a party.
Speaker 4: Oh but not before rush?
Speaker 7: But before rush?
Speaker 2: I mean no, now is.
Speaker 4: There can you show Okay?
Speaker 3: So if you are a guy going through rush, can you just show up at a house or no? Do you have to be invited to come in? Is there any like open day? Like any dude can come in?
Speaker 4: There are open days? I know it's different.
Speaker 2: I've been I've done Rush at two different schools transferred, but there's usually one or two days that are open and like the next day will be like.
Speaker 4: A to have a text or something.
Speaker 2: But oh wow, Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: That panelmic is so strict with women and just lets these men go hogwild. Really kind of uh, I don't know what to say about that. Maybe we'll dig into that as season two of Dirty Rush goes on, because that really Panelmic is very strict with these rush rules for women, and yet it does seem like guys and I guess it's you know, over the you know, years and years and years. That's the way it goes Like, is there any there doesn't seem to be the same rules, like can you.
Speaker 4: Guys go out during Rush week?
Speaker 7: Totally.
Speaker 4: And can you.
Speaker 3: Talk to a dude and say, hey, we're probably gonna give you a bid. There any rules about.
Speaker 2: That where you have to be Attorney's different in the promising bid things. We don't promise that at all. Okay, there's a lot of frattorneys that will promise you a bid and it gets a kid all excited because he's like a freshman in college.
Speaker 4: He gets super stoked.
Speaker 9: But we don't promise that.
Speaker 4: Interesting, all right, thank you for contributing, Michael, great work.
Speaker 3: We're gonna now go to zoom where we have a top secret person joining who wasn't even able to come to this retreat we're on. We're we gathered this group together and we're in a secret location so that we can really find out, like really really, what is happening at work weeks all over the country. This is an interesting sorority member who has to participate in work week. But then we'll become what the older generation would call a roki. I think people call it a rogue, gam a rush counselor et cetera. So let's talk to our secret, secret secret person right now to get some information on what happens when you are a Rush counselor hello, secret person who is We are not going to give a name or a location for you, but we have some quest es. So, uh, we know that you will be not participating in sorority Rush because you will be a roki rush counselor what do they call it at your school?
Speaker 10: My school, we call it a recruitment counselor or an RC for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, So do you have to participate in work week even though you are not able to participate in Rush because you disaffiliate?
Speaker 4: Is that the right word?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I become a disaffiliated member. So that pretty much means I have to remove myself with all affiliation for my sorority. I delete everything for my Instagram, I take it off my LinkedIn. My chapter deletes me from their Instagram, and I become pretty much like an anonymous member.
Speaker 4: What is the reason for that?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Why does it have to be so top secret for the roki because they really don't want these new rushies as we would call them PA and.
Speaker 10: M cnm's yeah, potential new member.
Speaker 3: Why do they want so much for them to not know the house that the Roqui is a part of.
Speaker 10: You're RC, like the only contact you really have throughout rush week, and oftentimes p and MS become very close with rcs, and we would never want PNM to choose a chapter solely based on if there r C is in it or not. We want P and MS to focus on what happens during rounds when they talk to houses, not what happens outside of rounds. So by eliminating the bias of the chapter of the RC, we help P and MS make a values based recruitment decision instead of choosing chapter based on more typical stereotypes.
Speaker 3: Now, what made you want to become RC as opposed to participating in rush with your sorority.
Speaker 10: When I went through primary recruitment as a P and M, I was very close with my RC and she helped me a lot during recruitment, and I thought it would be interesting to not only see what the other side of recruitment was like, but also help other girls who are going through something similar and help them choose a chapter where they see themselves being most successful.
Speaker 3: So I guess my question is how, how and why do you participate in work week when you then have to disaffiliate. What will you do during work week with your chapter and is there a reason they want, you know, roquis rcs to stay and still participate in work week.
Speaker 10: There are so many things that we need to learn as rcs, and like special ways we talk about things. Certain chapters at my campus are unhoused. One could say, but technically we're supposed to use the term flexible housing.
Speaker 4: What does that mean in real terms? What does that mean?
Speaker 10: In real terms? It means one sorority at our school lost their house because they couldn't have enough members joining the sorority. So during recruitment, they're the only chapter who recruits from a recruitment facility instead of their chapter house. So we have to speak very loosely when we talk about chapter houses as to.
Speaker 4: Not hurt ex.
Speaker 10: Yes, as to not exclude anyone from the primary recruitment process.
Speaker 5: There's also.
Speaker 10: Primary recruitment can be really hard for p and ms, so finding ways to help them and like we have a lot of training on John Gille conversations.
Speaker 3: My apologies for interrupting during work week? Do you get trained how to be a rokui as opposed to do a bump group or learn the songs or all the things that other people are doing during Russia are you getting your training to be an RC?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 10: Instead of spending my day doing a bump group or talking to members, I'm like sitting in presentations and learning about what it means to be an RC and kind of what my responsibilities might be.
Speaker 4: Do you have to get picked to be an RC? Do you volunteer? How does that work to be a ROCI at my school?
Speaker 10: Least, it's a pretty extensive application process. A lot of people want to be an RC just because they are tired of recruiting, and it's kind of easier some people think. But we have to apply, submit essays, and then we are called in for an interview, and after your interview you hear back via email. But each chapter does have to have five people apply to the positions, so they want the number of our ces to be balanced throughout the chapters.
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 3: Got it so that not one house has all the roquies exactly, don't have representation exactly.
Speaker 4: It's almost like a therapist these the rush.
Speaker 10: Yes. Yeah, we've had some crazy stories from recruitment, as in our sea my friend had a P and M who like locked themselves in the bathroom and refused to leave until they got the house back that they wanted, and obviously there's nothing that anybody can do after a round has been decided.
Speaker 4: So oh wow, it's story dramatic.
Speaker 3: That's the word I was going to use as well. Well, thank you so much. I appreciate it. Welcome back to Dirty Rush. So basically what is happening is we are doing our own version of a work week where we gathered many sorority members in one fraternity member.
Speaker 4: Somehow we got like we had one guy here.
Speaker 3: But to really be able to bring you everything that's happening at Rush around the country work week, we have people live at Rush throughout the country to really peel back the curtain and let you guys know what really goes on behind these Greek lettered closed doors. So Lee, first of all, does work week seem a little bit crazy?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: Is it a little bit? How do I ask? This?
Speaker 3: A lot of work for something that maybe could be easier.
Speaker 1: I would say, so, I feel like it's kind of especially nowadays with social media, I would say it's extra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like it seems like we're putting in maybe twice as much time to some of these things as maybe as necessary.
Speaker 4: But I get it.
Speaker 3: I remember doing it So at your school, which we won't name, your sorty with theta, what does work week mean to you?
Speaker 4: From your school?
Speaker 5: Work week?
Speaker 1: It's hard to encapsulate it into word one word. It's just intense and kind of to your point for no reason, Like it's a really big everybody's just so intense about.
Speaker 4: I was getting fights and screaming matches and drama.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a lot of drama.
Speaker 1: Emotions are high, people are overtired, people feel like they're overwork.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and dancing is hard.
Speaker 9: I mean it's so hard out in the Texas Sea.
Speaker 3: But also is it fun at all? I have many memories of its sort of being fun. Would anyone call it fun?
Speaker 1: I think so, Yeah, I think some people would. It's just not everybody's cup of tea. But it kind of just comes with the gig. So some people love it, some people hate it. But what's interesting, at least about where I went to school is how kind of, like I was saying, intense, it's gone and we're like, now you need to submit your outfits weeks before and they can.
Speaker 4: Do that with a photo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you need to have it all map sounds different than Catherine's school, so you commit a photo, and again, is a brand name label more is a brand name label.
Speaker 4: Easier to get approved.
Speaker 3: Than TJ Max or you know, Problem Macs Amazon.
Speaker 9: But it kind of depends.
Speaker 1: Because work week itself, there's two things you need to get approved, and it's your work week outfits and.
Speaker 9: It's Rush week outfits.
Speaker 4: A prison every day is themed of work week? Yes, why because of social media?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of social media and they use it to market the whole thing.
Speaker 4: And so if it's would you say you have to have for all of this all.
Speaker 1: In Well, there's five weekdays of work week, which are like the five days you're posting about it and doing social along with preparing for Rush. So those five outfits need to match the theme and you need to submit them and get them approved.
Speaker 3: And then for Rush person has to go through all these photos approving the Rush chair terrible, like they don't already have.
Speaker 4: Enough things on there.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, but yeah, then for Rush Week, I mean, you get two T shirts for the first two rounds because it's two days of I don't even remember what it's called the first round, but everybody coming through and you just wear a T shirt that says cap alphatata on it, and then after that you need to wear dresses and those need to get a purch.
Speaker 4: You have a floral day like Catherine over there.
Speaker 9: I don't think we had a floral day. All of ours were colored like we did because those are our colors, as colors.
Speaker 4: Are black and gold.
Speaker 9: And then there was one other day that was like runch.
Speaker 3: You could wear and were you allowed to drink during work week? No, you have to be completely dry, and I feel like to leave the house, you're allowed to. But you what's interesting is you have to wear a pin. So every sorority like you have this big pin that you have to have.
Speaker 9: On your shirt. So you'll see the girls who are p.
Speaker 1: And ms at the gym and you're wearing this pin so they know they can't talk to.
Speaker 3: You, or you'll all right moving in around. So that the town just says like I'm in a sorority. It doesn't say it says your sorority. So what if some rushie is there early and then they start figuring out who's in what house.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter because they'll they'll okay, yeah, correct. And then if you're a rogramma, you get I think you get like a rogamma pin, so.
Speaker 3: They know that you're okay. So you go to the gym, and who's not allowed to talk to you? Anyone going through rush?
Speaker 9: Anyone going through rush?
Speaker 4: Now can you talk to other sororities if you want to?
Speaker 1: You can, but you shouldn't, like technically you shouldn't, but some kind of a tie fire or dj oh, girls and other sororities. You mean, yeah, you can talk to girls and other sorties. I thought you meant the p and ms you shouldn't talk to the p and ms. But some girls kind of instigate and they test the waters and see how others.
Speaker 4: And would that be classified as dirty rush? Or okay?
Speaker 3: Now what if, like you have a friend from hometown going through rush, and are they technically not supposed to talk to you?
Speaker 1: Technically not, but you can give a hug and be like, hey, how are you welcome?
Speaker 9: We're so excited that you're made it to X y Z school.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, But it just shouldn't be any conversation shrouding rush.
Speaker 9: So it looks suspended.
Speaker 3: Do you feel also that during work week your coach to give the proper answer as opposed to maybe what's the most truthful answer. I'd say in analyzing all this, the one flag I have is like, why we're all putting on airs is what I would call it, as opposed to just being like, here's what college is really like.
Speaker 4: Enjoy I know, do you know what I'm saying, because.
Speaker 3: I know two days later after Rush you're just suddenly real I'm like, that's probably maybe something we.
Speaker 4: Should dig into this season on Yeah, Rush.
Speaker 3: So would you say work week is valuable in some regards?
Speaker 1: Yes, because I mean you would be amazed at the way that college girls can pull together an event like this and have it so organized. It It honestly is very very impressive what gets pulled off and work week and it's it's like a little business and you're marketing yourself, you're doing the social media whatever.
Speaker 4: But I like what I would consider a semi Broadway production. I guess I would want to it the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty intense, and it really does amaze me how many things actually do get done.
Speaker 3: I guess the question I have is do twenty percent of the girls do ninety percent of the work? I would say so, And would you say that that's the case for your schools we're not even gonna ask m because she didn't even participate.
Speaker 4: So the answer is yes, Catherine.
Speaker 3: Would you say a small number of girls are doing way more than their share of work during work week?
Speaker 5: Hundred percent? I think it depends.
Speaker 6: So for us, we put the younger girls because those are the girls who are going to be getting littles.
Speaker 5: We have them do majority of the work.
Speaker 6: Of you're talking to multiple girls in one round, you're the one that's kind of your both talking, you're singing, you're it's like a whole mix of things to compare to some girls where it's like we're gonna have you kind of just float around and maybe like walk a girl off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and does anyone like come in the house, gets their name checked off, like they're here, and then they go hide in a room and like play on their phone or whatever.
Speaker 6: Like I mean, like the seniors when it comes to work week, it's like they're planning their Vegas trips for that week.
Speaker 3: And then I don't know how memories of yeah, work week be rash as a senior. All right, So to wrap it up, first of all, it's an interesting concept work week. I do think in some ways it makes sense right, You have to prepare to put on events. Like Lee was saying over here that it's like you can't just open the door for a party without planning the party. What's also interesting is, like a party, you prepare for the party, and then the party.
Speaker 4: Last twenty minutes. Do you know what I mean? Like when you're throwing a dinner party.
Speaker 3: You prepare, prepare, prepare, buy all the things, decorate the house, clean the house, do all these things, and then your dinner.
Speaker 4: Last two hours.
Speaker 3: The work is much more than the actual event. I guess My thing I want to know as we wrap up here is one word to describe work week? Did you actually love it or hate it? And is it effective for each of you? One word to describe work week.
Speaker 5: I liked the word intense, but I'll also say dramatic.
Speaker 4: Great, And do you think it's worth it? Ultimately?
Speaker 5: I think it's worth it.
Speaker 6: I think depending on your school obviously and how you guys orchestrate it. But it's all rehearsed. It's more so what yeah, it's work weeks about like rehearsing for the.
Speaker 4: Day of Would you use the word fake or not quite?
Speaker 5: No, I would use the word fake Okay, great.
Speaker 3: Good to know and I forgot my last question menopause, but I think it was.
Speaker 4: Is it worth it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean you want to, like, you want to show up day of have these p and m's come in, and like you want to know what you're doing. You don't want to feel lost, and you don't want them to know that you are lost either. And like if they pick up on any little queue that you guys have, that you guys are practicing, like, they'll immediately know that that's all say.
Speaker 3: The hammock of messing up a bump group is like actual full fear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's full body fear.
Speaker 5: There are so many little things that we I.
Speaker 3: Don't know where I'm going, I don't know what I'm doing, and my whole body has gone limp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, m over to you. Can you even describe work week? Since you seem like the very bad sorority member.
Speaker 7: I would say it's very overhyped.
Speaker 3: Okay, and uh worth it now because you didn't even do it exactly?
Speaker 4: What was my other question?
Speaker 5: Did you like?
Speaker 11: Who cares? Who cares? Did you love it or hate it? She doesn't hate it, she didn't do it? Okay, Lee, work week, I literally menopause. I forgot my questions worth.
Speaker 1: It in one word, I would keep giving, give another word, give another word, like.
Speaker 4: Hell or fun like hell. But to me, overhyped was a good word.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think overhyped is a good word to me. I just didn't like how calculated it felt.
Speaker 4: Calculated.
Speaker 1: Okay, how calculated and you're just like planning your every move and what you were saying earlier.
Speaker 9: It's kind of fake.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like you can't talk about these things that immediately the second reends, you're gonna talk about and you're gonna bond over and that's the whole reason you're gonna be friends, because you're in college and you're going out and you're kissing wooz and you're having it misleading.
Speaker 3: I don't know if the word is misleading, but you are misleading these rushies, as you you know, as.
Speaker 4: Me said a little bit.
Speaker 1: But I do feel like most of them are cuted into like what happened gets after they get the vibe.
Speaker 4: They get worse. It is all that work worth it, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, Like to me, no, but I think it also depends on your experience and your sority. I was like kind of met about some people love their sorority.
Speaker 4: Minute of it. I'd go back today. I'd like to live there.
Speaker 3: Literally, we're like planning a reunion right now, and there's like every day I add a new member to the text chat for our reunion and I get so happy. I loved every second of it. I hope when we're eighty that we all just moved back into the house together.
Speaker 4: Work week was like rough. It just was a lot. That's I guess that was what I would say, It's just a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 3: But I also know that, like I said, messing up is worse. Honestly, Yeah, it's real stressful.
Speaker 4: It would be.
Speaker 5: It would be.
Speaker 4: So look, you're you're you.
Speaker 3: Want to put on a good front to these people coming in who it does impact their college experience completely, So you don't want to just.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent lazy about it.
Speaker 1: Yet you want to choose a great pledge cost because you want to continue your legacy and remain a house that is top and whatever that regardless for you. Like for my sorority grades, we were always hopping grades for the past like ten years.
Speaker 9: Once I had got there. I don't know how I know.
Speaker 1: That's a different story. But they were so serious about grades, and so they really wanted to choose girls who were fun and nice but also academic and whatever. So whatever your values are, you really want to right, we hold the line.
Speaker 3: I think that wraps up sort of our inside look at work week. We're going to continue it. And thanks for listening to Dirty Rush.
Speaker 4: Let's get dirty.
Speaker 1: Thanks