Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys As now here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Efferson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Well, if it's not one thing, it's another, and this is another edition of mixed Shots. We are right in the middle of Eagles Week and we are the it's the cleanest show possible.
Speaker 2: Let's just.
Speaker 3: Bananata show possible.
Speaker 4: He got done, Lysoled.
Speaker 3: To pull back the curtain. Here Everson minute in fifteen seconds before we get on the air, sneezed.
Speaker 4: And it was a big sneeze.
Speaker 2: It was It was such a sneeze.
Speaker 3: Everybody but I had my headsets on. I felt like my ears got wet, so I was wiping off my ears and so he pulled he reaches down into the cabinet, pulls out glass, pulls out Lysol or something could sprayed me with it before we started the show.
Speaker 4: So we're good to go.
Speaker 3: We are going to go.
Speaker 2: The whole room is ready, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And there is breaking news right off the top as we get started here and Mickey, would you like to break the news to everyone? Yeah, I haven't already heard it.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, pull out the Gilda Radner. It's always something new. And the Cowboys found out, or actually head coach Mike McCarthy found out this morning when he walked into the building it probably around five point thirty six in the morning, that he wasn't feeling well and went to see the Cowboys trainer, Jim Mauer, and they decided that to get to the doctor and they diagnosed him with acute appendicitis.
Speaker 3: And if you've ever had a cute appendicitis, it wasn't that he wasn't feeling well. There was something that was very painful.
Speaker 4: Sounds like Bill's been through this.
Speaker 2: Uh huh you have to Oh yeah, have you no? But I still got mine Sunday night games. My first game with the Giants was against Philadelphia. Oh it's crazy. And Plascelles had surgery.
Speaker 4: That morning and for appendicitis.
Speaker 2: Appendicitis, and he still came and coached. Yeah, he looked like crap, looked like you'll tell he was not the good move at the time.
Speaker 3: You know what happened to me? When I had a pendicided. So I was on the road trip. I was broadcasting Ranger games and it was in Saint Petersburg, Florida.
Speaker 2: I came.
Speaker 3: I came back from a morning jog and happened to see Pud Rodriguez in the elevator and he said to me, you're not looking goods. No, I wasn't feeling bad at that point. And then I got to my room and I started having having severe pain. But it was located up like in my sternham whatever and uh, and it didn't go away, and so I went to the hospital. H and Okay, I thought I was having a heart attack or something. And so I go to the hospital and they did a stressed est, they did all this stuff. It was because I that's what the Rangers trainer said, go to the hospital, tell him you're having chest pains. They'll get you right in.
Speaker 2: So they got me right in.
Speaker 3: It was I think it was. It may have been the next day they finally figured out it's my appendix.
Speaker 2: You were in pain for.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did a stress test with it and my appendix had burst. So I wound up spending a week in the hospital and two weeks before I was able to go back to work and it was bad. So I'm sitting there. Yeah, okay, you if they get it early enough, if you don't go to the hospital and say you got chess pains.
Speaker 2: And you you know, and they get.
Speaker 3: It early enough, you can you can be back at practice tomorrow or or in the case of ourselves have chest pains.
Speaker 2: Then you put you you're directing them in the wrong area though, that's right, and that's what took them so long to find it, right, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but because yours burst, you probably had a little bit longer of a Yes.
Speaker 3: I had infection and then yeah, so it was an infect it was an infection. And then I've spent a week in the hospital and say.
Speaker 4: You you Jimmy Smith. Yeah, Jimmy Smith, Cowboys wh receiver. His bursted and they they were treating him for I don't know what, but his appendix burst and he basically I think the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: So yours burst while they were misdiagnosing.
Speaker 3: Basically, Yes, I don't know when it burst, but it burst.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Well, I found out the uh how they test you for it, because when I had like really bad side pains and I went to the emergency place across the street here and they started checking all this stuff and she's feeling around and and I'm going to this this my appendix because it was kind of on that side, and she pressed really hard where your appendix is? And she goes, no, it's not your appendix, because you would have jumped out of the bed after I pushed that hard. And it ended up being a kidney.
Speaker 2: So well, it's a thing that you don't even really need, right.
Speaker 3: No, parents, that's why is it there?
Speaker 2: Right? That's crazy that and a kid obviously so weird.
Speaker 4: So anyway, Uh, he's slated for surgery McCarthy this afternoon and should be released at the in the evening.
Speaker 3: And which means it's a scope.
Speaker 4: So basically yeah, and uh, you know from all what So Dan Quinn's stepped in for the press conference today and basically said that, you know, McCarthy expects to be good to go for the game. And I'm paraphrasing here, but I think his quote was, do you think this irishman's going to miss this game?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: And so, uh, they'll carry on without him for maybe a day, two days at the most. I bet he's back.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they're not going to let you stay in the hospital on No, they try to get back to the hospital.
Speaker 4: Insurance don't want you to sleep.
Speaker 2: You haven't. Don't rest in the hospital, rest at home.
Speaker 5: So anyway, Quinn even said he'll probably be calm later tonight or watching watching tape or adding into to whatever they're doing today in practice.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's that's one of the significant things about this. This is the install day. I mean when the players get back today. You know, obviously Dak has been at it probably I mean the last couple of days for sure. But for when when you're the offensive coordinator or the play caller in this case, Brian Schottenheim or the offensive coordinator, you're heavily involved in the install today.
Speaker 4: And but everything's been planned out all right, right, so now Brian Schottenheimer just kind of runs the offensive practice. What you worry about is just being ready to call plays on Sunday. And I was getting ready to ask you did you have a coach miss a game or miss a practice?
Speaker 2: So you just told you didn't. He didn't miss anything, Yeah, he didn't.
Speaker 4: What about Tom? Did Tom ever get sick and missing Tom? Break never missed the practice, they were.
Speaker 2: Trying to shoot at him. Tom wasn't. They don't make them like that anymore.
Speaker 4: So anyway, And so this is kind of ironic, but I was going to come in today. I did a little bit of research on the longest active winning streaks in the NFL right now, and it's basically four straight. It's it's the Cowboys, Indianapolis, and San Francisco active, right, And I was thinking, you know, winning streaks in the NFL so many factors, cause whatever, Right, It's like there's always something. It might be playing on the road, it might be weather, it might be injuries I didn't think of. It might be the head coach a pendicitis attack, right, But it seems like always something. The longest one this year winning streak was six games by Kansas City and then Denver, and then there were six teams including Philadelphia twice with five game winning streaks, and now the longest active is the Cowboys with four. And Bill, you know, when we were talking about after the loss to the Eagles the first time, it's like, okay, they got to win four straight. Bill said, well, they got to win five straight, right, So think about it, even if they win five straight They're not out of.
Speaker 2: The woods, right, And I kept following up with Bill saying that it's going to be down the stretch all the way.
Speaker 4: So think about it. What everybody's asking is, Okay, beat the Eagles and then win your next what four games? Nine straight? Twelve straight?
Speaker 7: Tough?
Speaker 2: And you still might have to go on the road if you make the championship game.
Speaker 4: Right, So yeah, it's a tough stretch for them after having won this many games? Can you win another one? Five straight? Right? And then whoa what about the next two that we talked about that or on the road. So yeah, the odds are not with you winning that many straight in this game. And then this happened today, and I'm going maybe I was clairvoyant, you know.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: And one of the reasons I said five straight, besides the fact that Philadelphia happened to be the fifth straight, is I had done this research before. In previous seasons when the Cowboys have won Super Bowls, They've always had a stretch during the season where they've won at least five straight games, it seems like, right, And I'm just now going back through it. The first time they won the Super Bowl in seventy one, it was ten in a row to win the super Bowl and included the Super Bowl game. In seventy seven they started the season with four, five, six, seven. They were what seven or eight in a row to start the season there, ninety two, ninety three, I did say in ninety five, I think it was four games. They had two or three four game win streaks, including but they had a five game win streak which included the Super Bowl that year.
Speaker 4: And even go to ninety one when they finished the season on a five game to get into the playoffs. And I could always remember Tom Landry saying, I want my team streaking into the playoffs. You don't want to go in limping and having losses. And this was before teams qualified, and then the last game of the season they would blow off. I don't think there was any games blown off in the sixties, seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: What would you think? Which team would you think was Jimmy's best team? Ninety two? Did they have a streak going in ninety two?
Speaker 4: Actually it might have been ninety three.
Speaker 3: It probably was ninety three.
Speaker 4: Least they lost the first two, then they won the next seven, and then they lost the two Sunday Thanksgiving, and he basically told them we got to win the last however many games, five games in a row to get home field advantage. And remember they didn't win the last one until overtime against the Giants. Just win the division.
Speaker 3: Here's what happened in ninety three. I spoke to So ninety three was their better team.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't you think? Yes? Seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, they went to zero to two without Emmett and then seven in a row, seven okay. And then Thanksgiving Week they lost that game at Atlanta twenty seven to fourteen, and then the leon Lett game on Thanksgiving Day against Miami in the sixteen to fourteen.
Speaker 2: That's not fair. And then and then that is not cool, you know, just like castling through him under the bus man.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys lost that game and won.
Speaker 2: Was it the catch?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So it was five straight in the regular season. Basically, they ended with an eight game win streak to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: And if he was a jockey, he went to the whip over those last five games. And I remember Darryl Johnson telling me after that whole streak and the Super Bowl, he said, Jimmy Drovis as hard as anybody could imagine and I don't know if he could ever do that again.
Speaker 3: And when he told me.
Speaker 4: That, it was like because he pulled out all the tricks right to drive him and then he stepped away basically right. His five years were up and him and Jerry had the little deal. But again, I think there was some some doubt on he coached us so hard, how's he going to come back and do it again?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, I wondered, do they get too tired winning, you know, trying to win this you keep the streak going the regular season and then once you got left for the playoffs. That's kind of what you worry about a little bit with with any team. And with that team. Did they end up with home field advantage in ninety.
Speaker 4: Three, Yes, but only because they won the division and then it ended up with a twelve and.
Speaker 2: Twelve Well, I guess it was ninety two they went, they went to San fran and one.
Speaker 4: Yes, the NFC title game.
Speaker 3: Which is ninety two is my favorite, and they went thirteen and three in the last season.
Speaker 8: It's hard to say which one is better, right, but they were better than ninety five, yes, those two years, I think, But yeah, so so well, what happened in eighty one.
Speaker 2: Did you guys finds a question with a question?
Speaker 3: A winning streak at the eighty one eighty one It was four straight to start the season, then two losses Saint Louis and San franc Us Go two road losses, and then four straight, then a loss at Detroit four straight, then a lost in the season in overtime at the Giants, and then see that's why you didn't win the Super Bowl had nothing to do with the catch. You didn't have a five game win streak. You only had four game win streaks.
Speaker 2: If San Fran was San Fran able to I mean, well they already they had. That was we have overcome twelve. Okay, so because we we we lost the tipebreaker. Yeah, you didn't, right, I don't think we went again. The Giants game didn't mean anything. The Giants game meant nothing.
Speaker 4: To us, and that was because they already had.
Speaker 2: I think we were mad because we went into overtime, like, come on, make can we get out of here? It's an overtime and it didn't mean anything to it, right, I remember that.
Speaker 3: And then the next week you took on Doug Williams and Tampa Bay and there's thirty eight eleven.
Speaker 2: Dennis Thurman's game. Yeah, pick six.
Speaker 4: How many playoffs games did they have to win to get to the one? Just one?
Speaker 2: And then you're in. Yeah, we couldn't have that last game against the Giants didn't mean anything. Yeah, yeah, so that would have been a five game.
Speaker 3: Just rewrote history.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So that is the news of the day right now. And we've got a football team on a football field that Mickey.
Speaker 2: Has went out their football coach.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, And we'll talk about that when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 9: In a moment, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the press scout who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll run for a perstown.
Speaker 9: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 1: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 2: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader. They've got you covered. What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of fool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at MOH.
Speaker 12: Museum Cowboys, Football, and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff? Tailgate's going way past postgame Sunday Night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lte and the Cook America's team playing America's Greatest School. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three. Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 4: Devict shuts.
Speaker 5: Kpost Roofine and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right here on a Wednesday at the Star News filled Wednesday, and Mickey's got a legal pad filled with items he wants to get to.
Speaker 4: Well, the last one is They've made a little a roster adjustment today. Sean McEwan was placed on injured reserve and Peyton Hendershot was activated off of IR to the fifty three man roster, and Matt will Let's go opened up his twenty one day window to begin practicing. He is on IR return, so they made a little roster adjustment today before the practice.
Speaker 3: And zach Ertz is not signed with Philadelphia. He has he's not.
Speaker 4: Oh he's not.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of speculation.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what the new speculation. The new speculation is the Domakon sue. They're thinking about signing him and he hasn't played all year.
Speaker 3: They don't have enough big defensive tackles on their defense that I haven't drafted well in the first round. Thee out of Georgia. The last couple of weeks were.
Speaker 4: The scores of their last two games, because I thought I read something that they given up like seventy six points.
Speaker 3: Well, they gave up forty two, forty nine ers and they gave up thirty four to the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 4: How much to us is that seventy six?
Speaker 3: That would be seventy six?
Speaker 2: How much to us?
Speaker 4: And I meant the last two games.
Speaker 3: And it was the Cowboy game up there was twenty eight twenty three three.
Speaker 4: So it's almost like they're trying to pick two more touchdowns, yeah, right, or two and a two point one and a two point conversion. Yeah, they're just picking up everybody. But again, somebody said, well, how do they have the cap space? Well, you only got to pay the guy for five games. So you know, when they said they signed Leonard to a one year deal. Well, it's a five good.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this about Shack Leonard because I was doing a podcast with a guy in Philadelphia this morning and we were talking about Shaq Leonard. And I'll tell you how I answered this question after you tell me how you would answer it. Where does Shaq Leonard fit in right now on this Cowboys team? Like their speculation that Okay, in Philadelphia, with what they've had going on at linebacker right now, Nick Morrow and Christian Ellis with their two linebackers in the game against San Francisco last week, we saw how that went, that that he would be able to step on the field and pretty much get snaps immediately. Okay, what do you how do you think if he had signed with Dallas, what do you think the scenario would have been as far as how many snaps he gets on defense this week and in the next couple of weeks after that.
Speaker 4: Well, I was told it would be more of a depth move and that it would be spotted on maybe how the offense, what kind of formation they're in.
Speaker 2: Uh that if he win sub packages.
Speaker 4: Sub packages exactly?
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, And that's how I answered it. I said, you know, they've got the Cowboys have Demone Clark and Marquise Bell, who has been playing as as well as anybody on the defense. It seems like you know all season and it was. And that's basically the way I put it. It's a depth move. It's a move where if you had an injury to at your linebacking corps, Okay, you got Rashaun Evans, who's had a hard time getting on the field. He had three snaps last week. I think he had fourteen, his most number of snaps he's had in a game. That was when Bell was nursing something. But if you lost one of those guys.
Speaker 4: And Micah Parson's a full time linebacker, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but even for but for if Shaq Leonard's on the team, that gives you it fortifies the position, you know, right and there.
Speaker 4: And if you know what, if they were honest, they probably explained it to him that way.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: And so when we're talking about, oh, he picked Philadelphia because he thinks Philadelphia has a better chance to win the Super Bowl, He's got a better chance to get on the now. He may think that. He may think that, but even if if you look at both teams have equal chance to win the Super Bowl. Okay, the better opportunity for him to get snaps appears to be in Philadelphia than here, and he.
Speaker 6: Needs to re establish himself because so something was going on in Indianapolis and from what I heard, he wasn't playing as well as he had been and they had reduced his snaps and he didn't like it, and he was starting to become vocal, and they basically were thinking, Okay, we need to we need to cut this right now, we need to cut ties.
Speaker 4: Probably not going to be here next year because his cap hit was so high, and so they decided, even though they're in the playoff race, that they needed to move forward and not disrupt the locker room.
Speaker 2: He must have really been disruptive because he's accustomed to speaking out. He's one of the leaders of the team, and you would think that he'd get a little bit more expect Let's let's put it.
Speaker 3: This, what if what if Everson Walls? Yeah, okay, what what if it was a situation where Everson Walls at nineteen eighty nine?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think I know where you're going here.
Speaker 3: Okay, now, you you started, you continued to start right, Okay, you didn't.
Speaker 4: Okay, but there weren't there weren't that many games left, was there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we like seven games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was about the same boy.
Speaker 2: Remember I remember saying we're one in eight. Okay, well, worried about people on the field and eight right, you had you had, We're not going to the playoffs one one. And that's the line that he never can't forget. He could never forget that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Everson was vocal about that, exactly.
Speaker 4: One and eight at the same time, six games, we were one in eight.
Speaker 2: They are not there in the hut.
Speaker 4: We were not actually know what I was going to ask, because he showed up for the next game at the stadium. He was sitting in a suite and the character for the Colts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after he was released, and.
Speaker 4: The cameras caught him and he got a standing ovation. So I was going to ask, do you think you showed up you would have got a standing innovation at Texas Stadium?
Speaker 2: I would have gotten booed. So it just occurred to me, why weren't you released? Why?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 3: Why weren't you released after they when? Why didn't they do to you what Indianapolis did?
Speaker 2: Nobody wanted anyone from a one in eighteen Just that simple. No one wanted anyone and they weren't really dealing players that freely back then in nineteen.
Speaker 3: Eight for releasing players, yeah, that wasn't it's not a trade. You're past the trade dead and so they would be releasing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, but but ye And at the same time, he probably felt that he might still need us to finish out the season. They didn't have that many plays. How about this? How about this?
Speaker 3: What if you got on with a team and won the Super Bowl that year?
Speaker 2: That year? Uh huh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's let him sit here.
Speaker 2: I don't well that that did work out well for me because it gave me a chance to really look around to see where I.
Speaker 4: Wanted to go. So did you use those you have guaranteed money? Well, what about your annuity.
Speaker 2: After the after the it was like this, after eight games, you know, they don't have to pay you a damn thing. So that's why all the moves were always made at mid season, because they were gonna they would get rid of you if they were gonna cut you before those last eight games, because then they don't have to pay you for the last eight games.
Speaker 3: So but but after you were benched, you bit your time special teams, but you know you were not And as far as being a locker room guy, you were silence. You kept your mouth.
Speaker 2: I was silenced. Well, nobody wanted you know, all those guys were young, and they were like, hey, man, be quiet, man, because you're getting all of us in trouble, right, And that's basically what it was all about. So you got you know, why just blow up the spot, right. I wasn't going to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but see, I think that's where they made Like in Indianapolis with Shaq Leonard, they may have been thinking, well he starts, you don't want malcontents in your life, and.
Speaker 2: Well they showed his arrogance. I guess they saw his arrogance, the fact that he showed up at the game and.
Speaker 5: He gets the stand and then would it have been a problem if he were to be here And there's the rotations with who we already have, and it's that that's necessity.
Speaker 3: Cowboys have a really good chemistry in that locker room right now, and so that's what as you're making a decision on someone like that, you have to factor that in Okay, if this guy who we don't really know, really know what he's all about on a team in a locker room and he's not getting the snaps.
Speaker 2: That I know, the Posssels asked a lot of questions from a lot of people before he decided to sign me. Yeah, and even when I was I was on the team, he still was asking questions on you know, do they think how well do they think I would fit in during the season? And I didn't know that until after I retired years later.
Speaker 3: They are much like what the Cowboys I'm sure did with like t Y Hilton last year. They wanted to make sure that he's a uh and he has had a great reputation and professional guy and whatever. If but if you're not getting your snaps that you feel like you should be getting, then.
Speaker 2: Well you got to take a chance sometimes though, bit right, I mean a guy like Shaq Leonard Uh, he wouldn't act the same You would think that he wouldn't act the same way and here as he acted and ending like with me, I didn't act the same way in New York that I did in Dallas because the locker room was totally different that it wasn't fractured at all.
Speaker 3: See having said all that about Shack Leonard in this defense, the way dan Quinn employees uh with the hybrid players and stuff, they would have figured out a way to get him on I think he would have been a great I think he would have made I agree, But it's not like he You wouldn't have to he wouldn't have to have forty five or fifty snaps even to make an impact in twenty snaps. You can figure out in some packages how to get him on the field in the best way possible.
Speaker 2: Nate Newton says, you knew this before you brought him in. Why would you bring him in? Nate and Frisco, He writes this, don't take the chance. Don't even upset your locker room by bringing in a guy if you know this. So he's saying, if you know that this guy has issues, don't bring don't even bring him in. Don't mess up what you got going on.
Speaker 5: And he has the ties to Sirianni, so he he's already well versed.
Speaker 7: In the coaching there. He has that connection with them. I don't know what more.
Speaker 2: Than he's showing it in and he.
Speaker 7: Knows who here on the Cowboys who he used to well.
Speaker 4: Hooker, and I think Sirianni might have brought an Assistan or two with him.
Speaker 3: From the christ I have at their coaching I think probably.
Speaker 4: To me it is like this.
Speaker 2: You know, he wouldn't, like you said, I don't think we could really find the place for him right now quickly. I mean it may end up helping us maybe in the future, but I think these last two or three, these next two or three games, I don't know if he would really find a spot. I mean he would replace Evans, he would have to replace Evans. He's not going to replace Bell, right And like you said, if they come out with three tight ends, then we'll put him in there and see what he.
Speaker 4: Can do that get Micaeh off the line of scrimmage and put him at line back because three tight ends, they're gonna double team him. He's gonna be ineffective. But at linebacker at least he can run to the ball, which I still think they need to do more of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been pushing that for a while. Nobody listening.
Speaker 4: I can't understand.
Speaker 3: You had an opportunity. You had, Dan Quinn in the press conference, this is your chance, right you.
Speaker 2: Have the defensive court.
Speaker 4: I had them afterwards. I just said, oh, it sounds like you've done this before. Okay, Mickey, when we come back, you've got something for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear what it is next year.
Speaker 2: On mix shots.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can tracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Cook, the America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Milier Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they Schnapper.
Speaker 4: The fresh guy who looks white. It's not there. He escaped flat. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 9: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com. You know that sounds anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 7: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 10: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping a cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Shots.
Speaker 5: Get a frameworthy family holiday photo is Santa at the Star presented by Monument Realty. Santa Claus will be at his Cowboys themed cottage in the Star District through December twenty fourth. Book your visit before December ninth and save five dollars with code Star five. Visit the Star District dot com slash Sanna for more info.
Speaker 2: She's a machine that's exactly right. OK.
Speaker 3: Mickey is something he sperately wants to get to in this segment.
Speaker 4: So Dan Quinn pointed this out. They were asking him about comparing, you know, what Philadelphia did then and what you got to be careful of now, and he basically said, one of the things that Philadelphia does well is third down. And he was pointing out that most teams, if they're third and four, third and five, it's an automatic pass. But they'll run the ball, they'll call a run, or they'll do RPOs. And he said that when they went into that game, Philadelphia was converting fifty percent of their third downs and guess what they did against the Cowboys converted seven of fourteen fifty percent of their third downs and now throw in two of two on fourth downs, so that seven of six or nine of sixteen on third and fourth down that they converted. And he was saying, that's one of the things that we've got to be prepared for and do a better job of getting them off the field and not leaving them in fourth and one.
Speaker 2: Well, that's whether the tush push comes in. I'm sure that back to then too, not of course the fourth downs, right, several.
Speaker 4: Both for downs, yeah, and I think there was one, maybe one or two third downs that they converted like that. So I thought that was interesting that that that was one of the things that he was concentrating on on how it's more difficult to defend them on third down because he said most teams will pass past pass, right, he says, but they don't, and that makes it more difficult when you come in with your chances.
Speaker 5: To add on to that, he said, the Eagles are the best when it comes to the quarterback sneak, and that's because you have a running quarterback and a huge offensive line.
Speaker 4: Right office, Yes, I don't do it.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's the first down that makes a difference, right, first down, let them get seven, let them get it, don't let them get in that position that's a comfort zone for them. So first down is probably be extremely important.
Speaker 3: Did you see the tush push when they had the backup quarterback in at Philadelphia? Didn't quite get as much push there.
Speaker 2: So the QB makes when he went out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Hurts went out of the game, and.
Speaker 7: So when Marcus Mariota went in and tried, yep.
Speaker 2: And he's not bad.
Speaker 3: It's for the runner, right right, It's that leg strength that Hurts has is a big part of it too.
Speaker 4: And I'll bring it up again. The San Francisco, I think it was the safety did what I said they should do on that fourth or a third and one horse caller horse calling him from behind. He just didn't get.
Speaker 3: Legal legal within the tackles, right, He's got to get back there.
Speaker 4: And because he yanked them, he pulled them back.
Speaker 2: So now, but you know they've seen that, so I'm sure they're flanked. They're going to have him flanked, ready for something over the top. No, they're looking for him to come around the side.
Speaker 4: Well, has anybody just like sold out with seven or eight defensive linemen and force them to throw the ball.
Speaker 2: No, I mean they would. They can't just throw the ball after I.
Speaker 3: Mean, that's like tug of war.
Speaker 4: You didn't put the little guys on the on the road.
Speaker 2: I mean they have to you know, he had to make the audible.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. But that didn't make them do something different.
Speaker 3: Well, if they don't substitute prior to the play, and they can basically get up their hurry up, and you don't, you don't have time.
Speaker 4: We talked about that because I remember, you know, when the Cowboys that they had basically on those third and ones or fourth and ones or whatever, they had five to six DB's in there, and it's like, maybe I should call time out and get all the Jonathan Hankins I got on the team.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're going to spend a time outright, What.
Speaker 2: He's going down the hole?
Speaker 4: Confidence depends how depends how important that play is. Yeah, really down the stretch.
Speaker 2: The goal line is obviously more important than a third of That's what I meant.
Speaker 4: On the goal line. Yeah, and you probably don't have time to get him in there, because.
Speaker 2: If you get too many big guys in there, then they're just gonna audible and spread the dB. You got too skilled guys in the backfield, so they were just audible and they'll put him up. Why I put him there, putting both on one side audible and throw some crap over there. And you got d lineman trying to cover a J. Brown.
Speaker 4: So what happens if he throws a bad pass? Because that this is working one hundred people, but bad.
Speaker 2: Pass all he ones. You're still going against the defensive line.
Speaker 4: I don't even worry about that he might fumble the snap because.
Speaker 3: You're hoping now because I have seen I have seen this. I think Kansas City did. It might have been Chris Jones are one of their other defensive linemen. They just hauled off and the heck out of one of those offensive lines.
Speaker 4: They didn't care it was a false starter.
Speaker 3: They just say, Okay, you're you're going to do this to us, You're going to take a beating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's legal in that regard. Yeah, you can't do it.
Speaker 13: Who ever was just just hold off and just drove them back into the back. You can't hit the center and this one you can. Yeah, And Kelsey is gonna be waiting knocked the hell.
Speaker 3: Out of those offensive linemen where they don't.
Speaker 2: Want to do it anymore.
Speaker 4: I want some guys in there.
Speaker 2: You gotta hit Kelsey first. Yeah, you gotta hit Kelsey first. So you let me know how that turns out. Yeah. Well, he's so lowly and he's the man.
Speaker 4: And he's like to render in fifty pounds.
Speaker 2: He's smart, he's not No, he's not that big. He's not big.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: In fact, that's how he moves so well, he's you know, he's.
Speaker 4: Oh, you're right, Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's out in that open field, and that's what a lot of what they're doing in the run game is. They pull the center and he gets out in front of them.
Speaker 2: He's so fun to watch. Didn't Gino? Didn't Gino? He went? He didn't. He chose not to Was it Geno or was it browning? Was it browning? He chose not to go up? They went outside. I saw one quarterback.
Speaker 4: I think it was Browning.
Speaker 2: He chose not to go in. He went this way. It was that was a it was a black guy.
Speaker 4: Think or you can throw a quick pitch to somebody, right, Yeah, you can write next to Philly ran sweep the swift for a touchdown off that play, right, so he he he, he lines up just so is right when he snaps the ball, he kind of just hands it to him. Yeah, he goes through your back door. And that's what they They ran for a touchdown the week before they play that.
Speaker 3: So ever's lining up on the edge. They got to respect the edge.
Speaker 4: You know, you gotta so what you can't stop this us make him do something else. Yeah, it was like ten yards out, so they ran for a touchdown. Yeah, okay, but on the goal line, say yeah, I'd make him who knows he might get in a hurry and fumble the snap or hand.
Speaker 2: It is important right down if you have to worry about all that others.
Speaker 3: You can't let him get into a third and two or fourth and one.
Speaker 4: But they seem to always do. How does that happen?
Speaker 2: By design? That's why when you have a running quarterback, that's easy to do because that's all he does. When a quarterback draw and he gets your seven yards easily.
Speaker 5: Well, all I know is today before the show, Mickey and I were listening to Nick Sirianni's press conference A little bit, and he said at the very end, they asked him about the defense and how they played with San Francisco, and he said, going into this Sunday's matchup, he's having the defense watch all of the tape, and he's watching the offensive tape. He said, I want to give them the offensive point of view. So he's going into it trying to pump up their defense as far as what they do offensively.
Speaker 2: No, the defense can't stop us. I know that much. Well.
Speaker 4: Right now, they have converted forty seven point nine percent of their third downs and seventy three point seven percent of their fourth downs fourteen of nineteen. So it doesn't say how many of those are like one yard runs.
Speaker 2: How do we count that with our offense? Right?
Speaker 4: Score points?
Speaker 2: Score points, got to score and so they nearly they have a show that they can stop out off and.
Speaker 4: They nearly scored thirty two points in that game. So I you know, to me, we should have got a pool.
Speaker 2: We should, we should, we should that we gotta get out fast, Yes, we gotta get out fast and stay stay in.
Speaker 4: Front, because if you look at what San Francisco did, they held hurts to like twenty yards rushing. I want to say seven carries.
Speaker 2: It was seven yep, So they kind of and they left their secondary exposed and they said, look, you guys are going to have to handle their wide receivers and they did pretty well. Yeah, I think he had closer three hundred rus.
Speaker 4: Passing, but to ninety eight.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as effective as like, say, that's to ninety eight, right, because that was all coming while they were trying to catch up.
Speaker 4: I mean held them to nineteen points. Well you think that was the fewest they scored all.
Speaker 2: Year, and I believe it was. And the Eagles a secondary in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: But the Eagles offense has not been clicking like it did last year. Even though Herts is in the MVP conversation so forth, it has not been clicking at the same rate as what it was last year. And a lot of that probably has to do with the injury that Hurts is dealing with, so that he's not running the ball as much.
Speaker 4: That Mighty Jets defense held him to fourteen points and then they scored thirty one, thirty eight, twenty one. The Chiefs held him to twenty one, thirty seven and then just nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they were able to pull out a lot of those games. They were able to They were able to win those games even though the offense wasn't that effected, right, And that's why Hot is in the MVP category is because he's able to win those games. Not by himself, but he was definitely the catalyst.
Speaker 3: He's in the MVP conversation because of the tush Bush. He's got twelve rushing touchdowns. I think he's got nineteen touchdown passing touchdowns. He's got twelve rushing touchdowns. He gets him up to thirty one.
Speaker 2: It's not just the.
Speaker 4: You know, the amazing thing is is in both games against the Commanders, Washington scored thirty one points in each game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they say Philadelphia always has a hard time with Washington.
Speaker 2: They got that whole time with us. Well, they can't cover By. You expect him to have a hard time. They can't cover anyone's wide receivers. That's why they brought them by it and he still had Roby too. Yeah, it hadn't improved much for them.
Speaker 4: No, I've seen him get beat Yeah, yeah, so what you what you have?
Speaker 2: Our formula is we need to keep rolling offensively and the defense they just have to play off of us just hanging there. I'm not happy with it, but they have to play off of our offense.
Speaker 3: So Savannah and Mickey, they did their pre show prep listening to Sirianni the coach and invited, Yeah, I do my pre show prep.
Speaker 7: You guys, Mike McCarthy news right, So true.
Speaker 3: That's how I found out.
Speaker 2: I passed it out to my family. I passed it on the family. What's that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Here we go?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 3: Ye? But I do my pre show prep listening to the whip in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Was it entertaining?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say it was entertaining, but to get a feel for what's what's wrong with the Eagles and they are not happy with what's going on with Darius Slay and James Bradberry in their secondary.
Speaker 4: Not happy. Oh how they're playing?
Speaker 2: Now they're playing Debo called them out and then came in and did what he said he was going to do. Well.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys didn't have any problems thrown against.
Speaker 2: Them, right, not at all.
Speaker 5: And we'll obviously watch out for the injury report later to come to see what Philly is going to do since they have.
Speaker 7: Zach Cunningham out as.
Speaker 3: Well linebacker linebacker who has been playing.
Speaker 7: Well, they're tight end Dallas Goddard.
Speaker 2: Goddard's been out for a while.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 3: Which game was it? Where he was?
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: Cowboy game.
Speaker 4: They're thinking maybe he might you back. I mean he's eligible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was obvious when he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Was it Bell that made the tackle?
Speaker 4: I believe so.
Speaker 2: I think it was, yeah, and he stiff arm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just on a stiff arm.
Speaker 4: And uh so let's remember the first time around, Dack threw for three hundred and thirty three yards against them, and he completed twenty nine of forty four passes. So they threw on him.
Speaker 2: The problem was a place.
Speaker 4: The fourth down play got stopped six inches, they said, and then the two point conversion.
Speaker 2: With the foot with the foot, well, I got a sneeze. So that's about time.
Speaker 7: Grab it.
Speaker 3: All right, We will shout at you again tomorrow here on mix Shots, Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.