Speaker 1: Forties are the new twenties. I think so too.
Speaker 2: My forties are way better than my twenties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I remember way.
Speaker 3: I remember being so excited to get out of my twenties, like when I turned thirty, Like I was so and I think my parents used to tell me that the twenties are the best, your twenties are. And I remember being in my twenties being so miserable the whole time, like so much pressure and feeling incapable of doing the things that I wanted to do. Like it was like I wanted to be achieving all the things that I felt like I should be.
Speaker 1: Able to, but I wasn't, and so I was just miserable.
Speaker 3: And everybody feels that way, right, Like I mean we had an extreme example. I mean we were extreme because we had, like, you know, a limp metal syndrome right where we're like, as teens, we'd already won the Olympics and now we're screwed.
Speaker 1: But I think most people in your twenties are like, why am I not doing all the things that I was supposed to do in ice school.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like the equivalent of what it is to be a toddler where you're like, right, I have mobility. I feel like I can't express myself, but I have all these thoughts in my head. I don't know the.
Speaker 3: Right look like a grown up. I sound like a grown up. Everyone should be treating me like.
Speaker 1: A grown up, but I don't.
Speaker 4: Grown ups seem way more grown up, But like I am a grown up? What is happening?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I was just in one long panic attack from twenty four to thirty five. Was just anxiety for me. So it was like I erased that part of my life.
Speaker 3: Frankly, but I think that that makes sense, Like that's yeah, because that's what I was, you know. I it wasn't a panic attack for me, but I felt like I was having this conversation with a friend, like a couple months ago, they were talking about that period of my life.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I remember we used to go hang out at your house and I was like, I was so miserable.
Speaker 3: I was like really, like yeah, I think he's like we were always hanging out and I was like yeah, and I was miserable.
Speaker 2: I think our parents generation though their twenties were our thirties, so for them for their twenties, they were like you know my dad was. My parents weren't. My mom had a baby, she was married at twenty four. My parents are both lawyers. They were, they were, like my dad was twenty seven.
Speaker 3: But so what advice would you give to like if you had your own kids, Like, how would you tell them to approach their twenties?
Speaker 1: Because I don't know how to I don't know how to avoid this, Like.
Speaker 2: How do you approach your twenties?
Speaker 3: Like what do I tell Indy, Like, here's what your twenties are all about? Yeah, because I'd feel like I was told your twenties are all about living your life and having the best time, and I was, twenties are.
Speaker 2: Really about five. I think you're finding about finding yourself and finding out what you want to do with your life. And totally that's okay. Where it's like you can be twenty six and still have no idea what you're saying.
Speaker 4: You should spend all ten years trying and failing until you find something that you don't want to fail at and that you're not going to fail at. Yes, but because that's not what I mean. We've set it up so that's what people feel like they have to do in high school. Oh, you're supposed to figuring out what you want to do. No, you are not right.
Speaker 1: No, So really high school should go all the way till twenty six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, should go until twenty six. Like if high school went to twenty two or twenty and then there was a mandatory one or two year break and then it was college to figure it all out.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, also, no, certain certain things that last forever you can maybe try to find in your twenties, but stuff like the career you're supposed to be in for the rest of your life, the relationship you're supposed to be in for the rest of your life. No, don't you don't commit to that until your he's thirty, right, I mean exactly, It's okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I were King of America, I would say I would say you finish high school at eighteen, right, which is just like basically just high.
Speaker 1: School doesn't need to be as hard as it is right now, I feel like high school high schools so advanced. Yeah, it's so hard and there's so much pressure.
Speaker 3: So the idea should be like high school should just be basic, like life skills like how do you balance and checkbook?
Speaker 2: We don't do that.
Speaker 3: Your basic stuff and like not you know, theoretical physics and all the stuff that it is. Right now, okay, so high school should be more basic. You finish at eighteen and then you have to go into service for two years. You have to either go in the military or just teach other kids. Teach children, so sort of.
Speaker 4: Where it doesn't have to be about you know.
Speaker 1: It's just and you have to travel.
Speaker 3: You have to leave wherever you are and go somewhere else for two years and dedicate your time.
Speaker 1: And that's just giving back to America, to the country. And then call.
Speaker 3: It starts and like twenty if you want it, if you want it, you.
Speaker 4: Can want it while you can go to focus or you want to start a business.
Speaker 3: There's no pressure until twenty and then it's like okay, now you can figure out what you want to if you want to do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah yet, oh.
Speaker 4: All right, well glad we have a plan for our children to figured it out.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 4: We've solved all of the world's problems and this is what we do here.
Speaker 1: We're only in pre show jazz.
Speaker 4: Great, we've been talking for only a few minutes and we've.
Speaker 2: Already the world's problems.
Speaker 4: God, welcome to pond Meats World. I'm Daniel Fischl, I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfordell. So welcome to today's episode recap, which is season six, episode fourteen, Getting Hitched. It originally aired January twenty ninth, nineteen ninety nine. The synopsis Sean and Jack go through CHETZ trailer and Tapega think she and Corey should live together. It was directed by Jeff McCracken. It was written by Jeff Manel and guest starring. We only have one, so I'll say our guest star before we jump into our overall thoughts. Jeremy seely as student. Only two credits for Jeremy this one and as I had a job as trombonist number one on Hang Time Now is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was a good one. So trombonus number one. I auditioned for that three times.
Speaker 4: Really didn't get it. No, you know what, you couldn't cry on Q That's what it was.
Speaker 2: I just like, can you cry while play the trombone. I'm like no, We'll just try to sell it.
Speaker 4: Try to sell it. And you did it three times.
Speaker 2: That was ambition as a trombone joke. By the way, I even got a trombone joke in my repertoire.
Speaker 4: People, I hope three of you enjoy that. Ex any overall thoughts before we jump into our recap, I mean.
Speaker 3: We're in a weird space, like I'm kind of now I'm coming around on season six. You just kind of like, you know, I kind of do like this is just a soap opera. Like when when we hit the recap, where we hit the recap and I was like, wow, I'm like, oh, okay, you know what, the show has just become something else and it's exactly things and I kind of am like, do your thing, man, like you know, like you turned me off for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Boy meets World kind of kind of.
Speaker 1: It's like it's earning. It's it's arguing its case now.
Speaker 3: Like I'm like, you know what, Sean has been on Whiny this entire season, but now I'm kind of like, yeah, well it's coming around.
Speaker 1: It's away right, Well, it's becoming the.
Speaker 3: Thing, and I'm like, okay, I don't know, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of winning it back in it's awful way.
Speaker 2: I agree one hundred percent everything Rider just said. I was sitting there going it's a completely different television program. Yeah, now I'm now I'm liking this version of the television program. Eric is a completely different person from from episode to episode. Matt Lawrence is becoming the best I've ever seen in my and.
Speaker 3: Like his character is such depth, and like when they kissed, I was like, what, like real kind of romance and.
Speaker 2: Like, yep, had me you had to be a hello boy mes world. Yeah, so I don't know what the hell happened, but I agree with Ryder. I liked it, and I don't know why.
Speaker 4: That's my you you know what, I agree with you guys. Here's what I'll say. My only real complaint is that I guess it's just never going to be on the table that Topega and Corey should just break up to Pega is never ever going to see that Corey does not care about her. He just wants to sleep with her and is willing to marry her to do it. That's it. The fact that they that they don't know each other, that he does not know her at all, and she goes, you know what this means, don't you we gotta live together? I'm like, oh my gosh, but okay, you know what you We've we've fully laid the foundation that that's not possible.
Speaker 2: If Topanga put out once, she'd never have to see this man again. Correct, and that happens, she and she could go.
Speaker 1: Off and be with Lauren and everybody.
Speaker 2: Take one for the team. I also love how live together in this world means spend one night together in separate beds, because that's literally what it is. Because they've said at the beginning they're not allowed to live together at the school unless they're married, so they can't live together. So Sean, I didn't understand.
Speaker 1: We're shot, Like they just pushed their beds together.
Speaker 2: And then separated them again because Tapanga is like, why are the beds together? We can't even sleep next to each other until we're married to parents and so that and then that's it.
Speaker 1: Bubble.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so again this as the Boy meets World turns is becoming one of my new favorite shoes that I've ever seen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, general, boy meets.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay, So jumping into our recap, we get an another previously on Boy meets World. Why are we Why do you think we're doing these now?
Speaker 3: Because we needed to serialize it, like it didn't make sense. But that's the thing like our show was serializing at a time when that wasn't a thing, and it's crazy, like it's such a big swing.
Speaker 1: It's such a big swing.
Speaker 3: We killed my dad and like this is this is the follow up episode to my dad dying like a comedic, like basically a joke of a character is like, I mean, it's it's so cool, like this is why, this is why, this is why people still talk to us about it, and it's like but at the time we were like, Okay, this is what But in retrospect, that is crazy, yes, and.
Speaker 1: We have to do a recap?
Speaker 2: Do do soap opera start with recaps every week? Is it like what you saw yesterday on Days of our Lives?
Speaker 4: Is that a thing I don't remember, but I feel like it has to And that's what I think the vibe there you get two days of a soap opera.
Speaker 1: Ghost We both went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: So in this recap, we see Chet re entering the boy's life, Sean relaying realizing he's just like his dad, and Corey relaying the news that Chet had a heart attack. Then at the hospital, Sean and his dad have a tearful heart to heart but soon after Chet has another heart attack and passes away, and now we're caught up. We're at the student union. The brew Lagoon mug has returned. As Corey takes a sip of coffee to Panka sneaks behind him and covers his eyes. Corey smirks, Oh, i'd know those hands anywhere Sean to pek. A smile fades. Corey realizes his mistake and tries to move on. How you doing, honey, Sorry, I was just hoping it'd be Sean.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sorry. I thought we were opening with the joke. Yeah, but then they played it to where he really thought it was Sean's hands.
Speaker 4: And he really wanted it to be Sean. I want and it's like, I know it should have I know it should have been.
Speaker 2: Like that's the joke, like I don't know those hands anywhere Sean, like of course, But I was like, wait, they're playing it to where he really thought it was.
Speaker 4: He really thought it was Sean, and Sean whose dad just died, decided to play peekaboo with it.
Speaker 2: With a very small, dainty girl's hands. That's the way.
Speaker 3: That's the way you react when friends your dad, your dad died, come here.
Speaker 4: Let's play pekaboo.
Speaker 2: Who'sat here? When I when I take my hands away? Your dad?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's still gone.
Speaker 4: Wasn't a bad dream? Wasn't a nightmare? So Topanga understands she knows Corey's worried about him. Corey admits, Yeah, it's his dad's funeral and I can't reach him. I don't know what to do. Topeka reveals I have something that will cheer you up. Corey jumps up out of his seat. Is it, Sean, it's not. Topanga pull out a box the Fiance game and like, I really t Manga. Yeah, okay, I have something that'll cheer you up.
Speaker 2: Do you remember shooting this No? I remember. This is the only part I remember was the four of us shooting this game and then Bill coming in.
Speaker 4: Oh really it's.
Speaker 1: A lovely see. I mean it's actually very funny. It's just funny. Yeah. How do you get into this right?
Speaker 3: Like, how do you rationalize a Fiance game to establish all the things that it needs. It's really poorly written to get into it, like this opening it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the Phoenie turned Why does PHOENI agree to do this?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 3: Literally, no rationale is given. He just goes, Oh, the Fiance game I'm in, but like, what play? There's there's a million things about Fioenie that could entice him, like I don't know, like Feenie loves to teach, and like there's something about this game that is like, oh, the person who narrates it or hosts it, I don't know, But there's no reason.
Speaker 1: Is just as like, oh, I'm not going to play. I'm with you guys. Oh it's the Fiance game.
Speaker 2: I'm in? What Yeah, and then gets angry at one point just grabs Eric. I mean, it's it's kind of out of character for Feenie a little bit.
Speaker 4: But I do wish Feenie was the one who if Feenie was the one very excited about it and it was like we were kind of like, oh do you do you want to moderate it? Then I guess like then it then he could have just had a holidays are over and one of my jobs was taking care of the decorations. But now what do I do?
Speaker 2: Right Exactly, he's teaching it. I'm teaching it for my comparative literature class, like something random where it's.
Speaker 4: No reason for him to be or or tie it into his wife. Lillian and I knew each other like the back of our hands. If you two are getting married, this is a great way to see how well you know each other.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, something like that. He hands you a cup of coffee and it's like where's the sugar, you take sugar, and so something like that. Anything, yes, yep, but no they don't do any of that.
Speaker 4: Well, Corey is excited. He was going to get this for her as a gift to Benga says it's supposed to tell if you're ready to get married. Corey insists, trust me, I'm ready. She says they could play right now if they had another couple, and I'm cue Eric and Rachel walk up.
Speaker 2: Hey, totally different. Eric walks in, I love it. What do you mean because at this point now I'm so just every line is said with a weird little Every line is a joke. It's now even pushed more than it was. We were going this direction, but this episode was like, oh okay, now we're officially at insanely crazy.
Speaker 4: Eric like this, Oh yeah, this, you're very losey goosey.
Speaker 2: Yes, very lucy goosey. The whole this whole way. But you were having fun doing that, right, I mean the last it was great.
Speaker 1: Oh, you just got to come in, make the make the last, I mean, get the laughs. I mean you were just you're having fun. Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I talked to you with some some fans at conventions, and it's true people early Eric. Some people were like, do you kind of wish later Eric was more like early Eric? And I wish early Eric was more like later Eric. If I could have played it differently, I would have had Eric more like this essentially the entire series. But it's such a change from where he was. I mean even I was thinking about how cool I was playing it with, like there's nothing better than naked ladies. Like even that line I would have been done totally differently a season later as this Eric, where everything is just wacky craziness. So but they do.
Speaker 1: Give you like you're hurt by the fact that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think Tommy is going to be stuff. Sorry, the Tommy stuff is going to be a completely like a dramatic arc, and I had my god, alog, I mean, there's stuff there. But Eric is definitely Lucy Goosey.
Speaker 4: Now, what do you remember about shooting this scene?
Speaker 2: The thing I remember most was that when we flip over the sign, it said Penguin. For the first two takes it was spelled correctly, and I went to Glazer and I was like, why, it's got to be spelled wrong. He goes, what And I grabbed the thing and I go and I spelled it with the w's, like yeah, you're right. And then we fipped it over, and I think the writers even knew that it was spelled and we had misspelled it on the on the card. So I remember stuff like that. Uh, and then it was just the four of us laughing because it was And I think episodes like this the thing I remember the most about the funny either b or a story, whichever it was. When the other story was really dramatic, usually the cast that was in the funny story was going nuts that week. Yeah, making each other laugh, like yeah.
Speaker 3: I miserable this week, Like I have a distinct memory of breaking really, yes, I have a distinct memory of breaking down this week.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that, but yeah. No, that's just what I remember is just us shooting it and having a blast and flipping the card over, and the Phoene call was changing every every take, and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: It was nice to have it back. Is this the first Phoenie call we've had season six?
Speaker 4: It's been a while, Yes, it's been a while. I don't know that it's U season smitted. It has been a while, and it's it's a callback to the one we were like, okay, this is the one that everyone thinks of.
Speaker 2: Oh no, the one the classroom, the big the big one was the season.
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, it was that was Yeah, we can't remember it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty than seventy'll find out.
Speaker 4: So Corey invites his brother to play a game and Eric responds, what you got per quacky to Panga reveals the box and Rachel's interest is piqued. You know, I was almost engaged once we planned our whole future together. I hope he dies. Eric asks, we don't have to be engaged to play the game, do we, because that'd be okay with me. But Rachel isn't done. Not just dies burns. I want to step on his face with a golf shoes given, I know, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was like boyfriend coming through was like, ye, this is funny, Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: Eric is unfazed. That's very hostile. Will you marry me. Rachel shrugs, why not? We already lived together, right, Eric agrees that's right, we've been living together ever since she moved in. He goes on to tell the actual engaged couple their toast to Peng reminds him she and Corey have been together for seventeen years. So I guess we're now nineteen years old, right? I mean, I know, so we've been together since we were two, which we said that in like the last episode, So I guess we're sticking at least with that. So I guess now we're nineteen. I don't know, but the game is set now. All they need is someone to read the questions, and Eric knows the perfect person. He spots Phoenie nearby, and we get the most exaggerated Phoene call yet. Eric assures everyone this is gonna be great. This dude can totally read. Phoene aggressively grabs Eric's shirt. I've told you a thousand times, leave me alone, I.
Speaker 2: Know, out of what's yeah.
Speaker 4: Eric simply giggles, and Phoenie smiles at everyone else. How can I help? Tapeka explains they need him as the game's moderator, and Phoenie's aghast, you interrupted my quiet cup of coffee for Then he spots the box and gasps, ooh, the fiance game. I'm brought in, telling the couples to take their seats and t Penga and Corey are excited.
Speaker 3: Idea, rewrite, guys, just this is such first draft stuff, like, just rewrite this.
Speaker 2: It's all turned the hot take. I am a hot take, which is all of the conversations we've been having the whole time about how Sean is such a different character, how Eric is such a different character. I think the character that maybe has changed the most over the last two seasons is Phoenie.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean he's completely because they don't know how to use him anymore. He's not in front of the classroom much. Yeah, it seems like he's changed more than kind of anybody. Yeah, and it's it's slid under the radar. He was supposed to go off to Jackson Hole Jackson Hole, got dragged back by Corey from Jackson How.
Speaker 1: He's from Jackson Hole. So now he's stuck. He has to teach college as opposed to fifth graders.
Speaker 4: He had that new kind of bumbling idiot thing because he was attracted to the Dean, which was really cute, but like, we don't get Dean Bolander every week, so I don't get to see him in that situation.
Speaker 2: He's grabbing Eric by the shoulder of the collar a lot, and like, this is why I can't sell my house. He's getting angry at certain times, he's they're like throwing him into things. It's he's changed, I think, almost more than anybody else on the showy Weird.
Speaker 4: Well, then we're inside Corey and Sean's dorm and Sean is inside stacking cans of soda into a pyramid, as grieving people do. And then there's a knock at the door. It's Jack, who is concerned what people do.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the original GPS. It's grieving pyramid stacking, so.
Speaker 1: People. I mean, it is the implication that like Sean's drinking, like I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: Soda too much, all right, But it would make sense if it was beers, right, Like it would actually be totally.
Speaker 4: I did a guy with a beer can pyramid? Did you really a big, big, big beer can?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, were you in like in your twenties, I hope early twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I was in twenties or thirties, they really ble together. I had a long twenties. No, it was it actually was twenties. You're right, it was.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's kind of okay.
Speaker 3: He was from a while okay, and could have guessed that.
Speaker 4: So Sean doesn't even turn around because I don't want to. Jack says, they need to go down to their dad's trailer to go through his staff sewn shrugs. You do it, throw everything out. He grabs an empty soda can from his brother's hand and sets it on this sad boy pyramid. Jack asks, you grew up there, all right? You know what everything means? I wish I did, but I don't. Sean says he can tell him what everything means right there in the dorm. I had a lousy relationship with my father that I don't want to relive, so I ain't going. He falls onto his bed. Ain't I know?
Speaker 2: That's how we know Traylor.
Speaker 4: Park, so we know all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Did you are? Is? Everybody?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: And my I don't want to keep harping on this, but are you now? Everyone's spotting the lobster everywhere? No, no, serious, I'm not even noticed doesn't see you on the pyramid. So the pyramid thing is here, it's right next to you on the desk. Then it's hanging on the fridge in the boys apartment. It's literally magnet on the thing. Single scene they put the lobster in, and it's like, as much as I thought it was like, Oh, it's tucked away, hidden somewhere, it's not. It's just like lobster, lobster, lobster everywhere.
Speaker 4: I know when we first started talking about it, I was like, ooohs eagle eyed. I wonder if you're going to be able to spot it now will literally only see the lobster bigger than Feenie. It's so funny. He falls onto his bed, the one that has a framed picture of a bus above it. Jack persists, we need to go down. We owe it to Chet. Sean protests, we don't need to do anything. So Jack's confused, so Sewn elaborates it means that Chet was the only real link between us, so now that he's gone, I don't think you owe anybody anything. Jack breaks the tension. I'll go do it myself. There's a knock at the door and it's a student who is not Kenny from last week. He tells Sean and his brother called a half hour ago. Jack responds, yeah, he got the message and angrily.
Speaker 2: Walks out good bee.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I liked again how non reactionary Jack is because they paid off.
Speaker 2: They actually got off at the end, which is great.
Speaker 4: I know he's so for two episodes now understanding upset, but non reactionary.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Then we're in the student union. Rachel and Eric are hysterically laughing, while their opponents, to Panga and Corey, look very concerned. Phoene reminds Corey they're waiting on his answer. He shifts in his seat and guesses tuna fish. Tapanga holds up her board and it says salmon, not tuna fish salmon. Do you know you haven't got one question right? Corey tries to laugh it off. It's just a game, honey, but Tapeka insists it's not just a game, it's our future, which I was like, No, the problem is it's all the past, not about the future. It's about You've had seventeen years to pay attention to any aspect of who I am or what I like.
Speaker 3: A perfect reflection of what we've seen on this show, which is that Corey doesn't care.
Speaker 4: Not taking in anything.
Speaker 1: She is not a real person. She He just wishes it was Sean.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he can pay. Yeah, right, that's.
Speaker 1: It, just with Sean. Sean should just take one for the team, have sex with.
Speaker 3: Corey and then he could and everybody's happy and could actually respect his partner.
Speaker 2: Pega would be in Paris with it.
Speaker 1: Beret.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Corey scoffs, I hardly think this game is an indicator of our future. To Pega reminds him, not tuna fish. Corey understands now, yes, ma'am. Phoeney moves things right along and asking Rachel what is Eric's favorite fish. Rachel gasps she knows this one, penguin. Phoeney thinks she misunderstood, but Eric quickly holds up his board. Bam, he also wrote penguin. Rachel exclaims, I know, my man, and Eric grins. It's like we have one brain. Feoene mumbles to himself, Yes, well that's too easy, that's so good. T Vegas still can't fathom that Corey hasn't gotten one question right. Corey calls the questions ridiculous, but Tapeka reminds him, you didn't know I was right handed.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it's a good joke, but it's also tragic. Yeah, tragic but accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly anything about that.
Speaker 1: He's annoyed by her more than anything.
Speaker 2: Yes, but this is his wife and has been his whole life.
Speaker 4: And there's no other way around it. Corey admits that was bad, and to Panga size, we don't know each other at all. Phoene notices the fighting couple and declares, I think we have run out of time. Good night everyone, and he leaves. Rachel exclaims we won, and Eric admits you know each other pretty darn well, don't we. Rachel nods, yeah, but how did you know when I shower? Eric cuts her off and says, oh, that's not important.
Speaker 2: We won.
Speaker 4: In fact, they're so in sync it's scary, and this game really revealed something about them. Rachel admits they're great together, but frames it in a more just friend's way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got that vibe too, bro NICs.
Speaker 4: She tells Eric she'll see him at home, and Eric watches her leave, longing a calling out to her honey. He eventually exits, leaving Corey and Topanga alone Topega is furious Eric and Rachel know more about each other than we do. Corey writes it off, it's a stupid game. Tapega explains, you know what this means we need to do, don't you. Corey starts to panic it was a stupid, lousy, rotten game. Topanga interrupts him live together. Corey's frown turns upside down. He grabs her and shouts, this game's a genius. We're in Chet's trailer. Jack walks around the cluttered living room and wonders aloud, where do I begin? Just then Sean walks in through the door. Jack asks if he's changed his mind, and Sean explains, I didn't mean we're not brothers. I just meant that with all the stuff that's going on between me and Angela, Corey and Tapanga together all the time, and now dad dying, I don't really feel connected to anything.
Speaker 2: I really like, I want to say, I really liked this moment because it's the first time in a while that Sean is taking some accountability for U his quote unquote noess where he's realized what he said and he walked in. He's like, all right, that's not what I meant yeah, and I liked that it was it was some kind of you know, at least some sort of self Realiesty pulled.
Speaker 4: Himself out of his self wallowing for long enough to realize he owed his brother in apologies.
Speaker 3: Another person's correct recognize Yes, yeah, and it's it's it's cool too, because like what the episode is actually doing is acknowledging Jack's experience correct same way that Sean needs to acknowledge Jack. It's awesome, like it's because yeah, Matt, Matt's character given nothing, you know, like real like and.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 2: This is a great way around about Jack episode. It's totally a Jack episode is which is great. Which and Matt does a great job.
Speaker 3: He's so understated, he's so and it's it's it's actually and it's also very accurate. I mean, now that I've had so many friends lose their parents, like I feel like among siblings, this is what happens. One person makes it all about themselves and falls apart, and the other person manages and like it cleans up the and takes care of the house and the death warrant and all this, you know, like all this stuff, and it's like and and so it's a very accurate depiction. You know that Jack would do this like that's where all his emotion would go. It's like, well, I'm just gonna deal with it, and Sean would just be like, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Great, it's absolutely Jack pulls him in for a hug and says he's here for him. Sean thanks him, then gets ready to work. He makes his way over to the kitchen table and grabs a lighter. He flicks it open and smiles before stuffing it in his pocket and writer.
Speaker 1: What I remember the one?
Speaker 4: You don't? Yes, you were all the time, all the time. Also, the minute I watched you do it, I smelled.
Speaker 2: It me do I just remember you doing the flip and you.
Speaker 4: Yes, you sure did.
Speaker 1: I never smoked. What are you?
Speaker 3: That's so nerd? I know I know how to do a zippo, But did I carry a lighter?
Speaker 2: Like? Will?
Speaker 4: Did you have one?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yes, he would, you would. We will exactly.
Speaker 2: Do the first you do the pinch on the both of it where it pops open, then you do the clip to snap it over that all the time.
Speaker 1: I have those tricks. But that's so funny. Yeah, I just like that.
Speaker 3: This was an unspoken sort of character beat where it's like you see Chet, you know, like Sean's connection with Chet without having to like verbalize it, which is always the World characters do. Is like the thing about the lighter and my dad is, you know, like it's just done. It's just behavior and it tells the who speaks volumes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I wonder if that's something you and Jeff did on your.
Speaker 2: Own worked out. Maybe I bet.
Speaker 4: I bet you and Jeff.
Speaker 1: It seems very unlike. I mean, given the way Boy Meets World has written, it.
Speaker 4: Was not he does he finds moments that they'll go unspoken. No, yes, that feels like something you and Jeff came.
Speaker 2: Up with crazy zippo story very quickly to show you why I had a zippo. I still had that zippo. Eighth grade Christmas, my friend Pat Starr and I, for all of our friends bought two cartons of Marlboro lights, like ten or twelve big lighters, and then five zippos for the closest friends. Eighth grade so we're twelve, So everybody got a pack of smokes and a lighter, but the five closest friends you all got zippos. And I had it all through boy me throw that was my twelve year old smoking lighter, got.
Speaker 1: Tricks with you?
Speaker 4: Hold on, question, did you and your eighth grade buddies have to spend your own money on this? Your parents? How did it?
Speaker 1: Money? Right right to the Gurtons of Marlboroughs.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I where did you get money to buy? And where were you buying them?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, there was no place that that carded us in town, no place whatsoever ever crazed at twelve, Yeah, we'd already been smoking for several years by that point, for years. Yeah, so that was.
Speaker 1: Our friends, my.
Speaker 4: Gosh, Okay. Then he notices Chet's financial portfolio sitting on top of the fridge. It's just a bunch of documents stuffed into a coffee can. He pulls something out and laughs, do you know what? This is? His unemployment stub number one. Dad always considered this his first honest money. So funny. He dumps out the rest of the contents and Jack rifles through the papers past due, final notice, pay up, We're not kidding this time. Jack wonders why he why he'd save them, and Sean explains Dad was a sentimental guy. Then Sean finds a paper and shows it to Jack. It's a letter to Chet from your stepdad. Jack tells him it's nothing and tries to take it before Sean can read it, but is unsuccessful, so Sean reads it aloud, don't worry about paying me back, Chet. Sean is Jack's brother, so he's practically family. We're happy to help out. Jack says once again that it's nothing, and he tries to snatch it, but Sean doesn't believe him. Pay him back for what Jack jokes for your shirt. Sean presses him again, and after a big sigh, Jack comes clean. For your tuition, Sean questions for college, and Jack admits Chet just couldn't afford it, but Sean interrupts him. You and your stepdad decided to make us the charity case of the year. Jack tells him the truth. Your dad wanted you to go to college so bad that he came to my stepfather for help. Can you imagine how hard that was for him. Sean can't believe this.
Speaker 3: It is really intense, I know, Like yeah, I mean, first of all, like the part that I have a hard time with is Sean really believed Chet was helping. So that's what Sean think, but he was hoping, I guess.
Speaker 4: But here's what I'll say. The only thing that I could then point back to is just last week when he showed up at the school. He was hustling kids out of money at pool, and he was doing such a good job at it. He had a big water cash and the only reason he had to give that up is because Sean took it from him. So it's possible that it's not actually that Sean's dad never has any money. He does he can, it's just not honest, it's not reliable.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. He's probably one of those guys who either had a pocket full of cash thousands or not.
Speaker 1: But I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess for me, Shawn's emotional story is that his dad is never there for him. If his dad was actually paying for his college in Shawn's story, so I believe that the denial is possible.
Speaker 1: But that's actually like his dad was.
Speaker 3: Taking care of him then in Shawn's mind, right, And that seems like a bigger point, like that Sean did think his dad was paying for college is huge deal, like and and and that kind of just gets glossed over into this like, oh, he wasn't actually paying, but it's like, but actually, I don't know, that's more interesting to me. And then of course, yeah, it is crazy that a stepfather would pay for a kid.
Speaker 2: Who's not Yeah yeah, well, I mean he set it up with this guy.
Speaker 1: He's just so rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I did it for his son, like Jack's like, come on, Sean wants to you know, we were to go to college together. I also liked the thing I really loved about this episode though, and it's something that I forgot this storyline entirely, is that even five or six episodes ago, the second Sean found out that Jack's parents were paying for the tuition, he would have bailed from the trailer park, like he would have turned and walked out. And the fact that they played the scene out and and Sean didn't leave, and you stayed there and had the conversation, I thought was just such a better way to go about it than Sean just leaving. Again. It was great, like, oh, yes, he was gonna leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I am going to leave, right, I mean, that's what happens next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, we're getting there, but we delay it.
Speaker 3: So this is where I had my breakdown, Like I just remember during rehearsal for this scene, because this is where I take my shirt off, and.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I was really I was really bored by my character. I feel like, what's funny is like.
Speaker 3: In retrospect, this is actually a well written episode for Sean and this is actually a great He's finally expressing something. But I remember just being like during rehearsal, like I just lost it. I was like, I feel like I'm saying the same thing every week.
Speaker 1: I'm over and over again. I'm like, what is you know?
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because now I look at it and I'm like, actually, my character is finally expressing himself.
Speaker 1: This is good. But for I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe I was just tired of being on the show and I was like, why are they keep throwing drama at me? And now looking at it, right, this is on the heels of an episode where they killed my father and really put a lot of pressure on us as actors, you know, pressure on Blake and Matt and me. And so I think what I was really reacting to was not like the given like a problem with the way this scene was written or whatever, but just feeling all this pressure to like suddenly have.
Speaker 1: To do all this drama. Yeah, I think I was, like, you know, wishing I could be like more in the B Story where it was just fun.
Speaker 2: I have about to say, this just shows how self absorbed we kind of were as people and as actors, because I would sit there and watch you and go like, why don't they give me any of that? Why didn't I ever get a chance to do any of that? Where actually, when we're going back and watching the show, they gave me a lot of that. Yeah, I had, I had quite a bit of the dramatic stuff, but in my head, oh, I'll just be in the goofball again and they're gonna Rider's gonna go off and win an Emmy, and hey, let's cut to Will as he dances. Where there was actually a decent balance.
Speaker 3: Absolutely man like, and I think that that's that speaks to the bubble that we were in. Yeah, and also the environment on set, like there was an understanding on set right about like our talents and about our abilities, and like we were kind of played against each other, you know what I mean, Like, I mean, you and I always had like a lot of mutual respect and we were but but there was this sense of like what are they getting over there? And like why you know, like Will is the real comedy actor, and like I felt like I wasn't allowed to have fun.
Speaker 2: Like I was. I felt exactly. I was like, well, Writerer's the actor, right, and I'm the guy. They're just going to tap dance so they can laugh and then let's cut to Rider being the actual actor on the show, right, And didn't you feel.
Speaker 3: Like Danielle was lucky to be there? Which is awful but true, that was the feeling. I'm like, I look at it now and I'm like, Danielle was amazing obviously, but.
Speaker 1: Like and of course the actual but like, at.
Speaker 3: In the environment of our set, wasn't it sort of a given that, like Danielle is just kind of there to be pretty and like not really and like that's the way the character's written. It sucks man like.
Speaker 2: That of the show. Yes, it was like he was the one in charge, right, you were the dream I was the funny guy.
Speaker 4: Well, and we've learned how how the girls were positioned against each other. Apparently Trina and Maitland were both led to believe I was going to be very jealous of that.
Speaker 2: Where you have told us that You're like you'd wake up every morning going like, I wonder if this is the week I'm going to get fired. I'm done on the show.
Speaker 4: And on top of that, by the time we get to season six, when when Maitland's even arrived, I am like so sick of feeling like I'm lucky to be there, and I'm like, please get me the f out of here. I'll go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'll go back to.
Speaker 4: High school, which is like I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was this done on purpose?
Speaker 4: Do you think I think it's all I think powerplay stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, you have to, Like, I mean, we're we might get canceled at any moment, right, It's an ongoing tightrope walk that our show was doing. So but it just sucks in retrospect, like that I that we couldn't just enjoy being there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think like, as a.
Speaker 3: Grown up being on a sitcom, it would been it would have been so nice to just like hang with you guys and not have that sense. But like I felt a lot of pressure and I felt a lot like, I don't know, it's a weird Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was a strange. Yet it was a very strange dynamic all the way through, And it's strange to watch it back now because what I see and what I remember are two completely different things.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's the thing where it's like there was a very good balance for Eric of Drop, but that's not how I saw it in my head. I was on a whole different show where I was just the wacky, goofy guy and that was it. So yeah, man, it's god so strange.
Speaker 4: Well, Sean can't believe this. What else did you get me? Jack? He assures him that was it, but Sean won't let it go. Did you buy my books? Jack admits maybe some books. Sean questions, my shirt? Really? Jack tries to joke again, I would never pay for that shirt. Sean doesn't even crack a smile. Jack tries to explain, I'm just trying to help out. That's what families do. We help each other out. Sean wonders, well, how have I helped you out? Which I loved?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: Like, you're right right? This is so well written for him.
Speaker 1: It is no, this is like the best Sean and jacksone ever. Yeah, it's so nice.
Speaker 3: It's wonderfully played by Matt wonderfully written for both of our characters. It's true, it feels honest. Nobody's like a bad person. It's just the conflict feels totally real.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's really it's.
Speaker 4: Really well done. Yeah, and he begins to unbutton his shirt. We're family, right, tell me one thing I've done to help you out. He shoves his flannel in Jack's chest and forces him to take it. It doesn't belong to me, nothing belongs to me.
Speaker 1: I actually remembered being topless in this scene, so I wonder if.
Speaker 3: That was also part of why I freaked out, because they were making me take my shirt off, and originally I was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be topless and I was like, why am I?
Speaker 3: And the reason I remember that is because Matt Lawrence is just the nicest, the nicest guy. I remember him being.
Speaker 1: Like, you look good, dude, you look No, you're like you.
Speaker 2: Know I was.
Speaker 3: I never worked out, like I was never cared about it, but like I remember, he was totally like, no, you're looking good man. He was supportive of the fact that I remember him telling me that.
Speaker 1: To just be like it's it's good man.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I promise you're not gonna you're not gonna watch this and be uncomfortable exactly.
Speaker 1: He was such a just such a men like best Yeah, other.
Speaker 2: Than one director, I don't remember him having a single problem with anybody on the set ever. No, never, No, he was just that guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the nicest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really was.
Speaker 4: He's still the nicest. He's still you don't like him?
Speaker 2: I hate that guy. No, yeah, he's the nicest person ever.
Speaker 4: Eric knocks on Corey's door, first, checking the hallway payphone for change. That's obviously just you, right.
Speaker 2: It was you. He still did every day, I know, just over.
Speaker 4: It's like when the Minute Writer did that with the zippo. I was like, oh my god, that's so teenage writer. In the minute you did that, I was like, that's so will walking basket Payphone's just so cute. Well, so Corey tells him it's open. Eric jumps when he enters, seeing Corey posing on his bed in red silk pajamas on top of a matching silk blanket. You weren't expecting me, were you? Half? Corey frantically jumps up, What is it to? Pang is coming over? Eric takes a seat at his desk. You saw how in sink Rachel and I were. It's obvious to me that we were meant to be together. By the way, Will talking about the balance, I love how real you play, this real feeling you have for Rachel instead of all the bs we saw in those first couple of episodes of like.
Speaker 2: Hey, I get away from Marc.
Speaker 4: He's fine, Like right, that over the top exaggeratedness has gone completely away, and now it's a real honest I think there could be something here with this this girl. Yeah, I think I actually like her, and it's so well done. So you guys both excuse and they.
Speaker 2: Still ever explain why all of a sudden you're allowed to live together in the dorms when you originally weren't allowed. That was the whole point.
Speaker 4: By the way, we never got that official word. It was the parents said they don't let you live together unless you're married, right, Like wasn't it wasn't it amy and.
Speaker 2: Allan official Okay?
Speaker 4: I think it was just that you in college, can.
Speaker 2: You can you live with a girlfriend in your dorm? And yes, if you're a.
Speaker 1: Free teen, who cares? I mean if it's a co ed.
Speaker 2: I mean some.
Speaker 3: Dorms are right, right, right, separated by gender. But if it's not.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, okay, you saw how in sank Rachel and I were. It's obvious to me that we were meant to be together. Corey simply responds, congratulations and get out, but Eric doesn't budge that's not the problem. But Corey tells him to get out again, but Eric elaborates the problem is Jack. Ever since Rachel moved in, there's been an unspoken competition between the two of them six episodes.
Speaker 2: If it's done in pantomime, I do my my little nod to Robin Williams in this scene too, if anybody else. So, you notice how I sit on the chair like I sit backwards on the chair. I put I sit my butt on it, but then I put my legs over the top of the chair.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the the audition for uh, Mork and Mindy, they he walked in. There's a famous sitcom story where he walked in and I think it's Gary Marshall said to him, so you're from another planet. Uh, how would you sit in a chair? Just this is your audition, sit in a chair like you're from another planet? And he walked over and he sat. He put his head on the chair and he sat upside down with this like did like a headstand on the chair with his legs going. So whenever I had a chance to like sit in a chair completely different way than anybody else, I was like, I got a morek and mindy it I got him MOREK and mindiate.
Speaker 4: That's so cute.
Speaker 1: Your brand was working in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Just sitcum. It's like all sitcum.
Speaker 4: Then Eric gets dark and very dramatic. Eerie music plays in the background sometimes at night. I imagine he gets killed, but then he quickly snaps out of it. He says that Jack is his best friend, so if this thing works out with Rachel, he has to be okay with it. Corey insists that if he and Rachel really care about each other, Jack is bound to understand. Eric asks, you really think so, and Corey admits I couldn't care less. Now get out. On his way out, Eric tells him he's a good brother. Justice to Panga arrives. Eric notices her duffel bag. Would you bring toys, which I think is supposed to be like a kid.
Speaker 2: Kid to I don't think you don't have read toys?
Speaker 4: It read a sex toys and yeah, because he's dressed like Hugh Hefner and he's in the set, and and then and you know we're spending the night together, and so toys just I don't know.
Speaker 3: Your whole sex toys even like a phrase back then, though, I feel like that's a more contemporary thing.
Speaker 2: Really you think them? Yeah, sex toys is a thing? Yeah, come on, writer, Okay, the first vibrator is gas powered.
Speaker 3: I understand that sex toys existed, But did you call them sex toys?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 4: I think so? Yeah, what else would you have called them? Love making tools?
Speaker 2: Oh? I like that love making?
Speaker 1: This is serious work, This has grown up stuff.
Speaker 2: This her tools here in the party is we use love making tools? Wow? Look at her excitement.
Speaker 1: I'm genuinely curious about this.
Speaker 3: Like it feels more like an early ought teens thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yes, okay, please let us know what you call. She gives him a weird look before walking in. Corey asks her, what do you think of my silk pajamas? They cost me two thousand dollars to Panga admits they're nice, then wonders why are the beds pushed together? Corey sits on the now large bed. Well, we are going to be living together, so I just assumed that, Tapanga interrupts. Corey, you and I are living together to get closer as a couple. This needs to be an ordinary night where we behave just as ourselves, nothing special. Sex is the last thing we should be doing. Corey's disappointment is palpable. He sticks his finger into Panga's face. And you are wrong, You just are Oh god, oh no, what did.
Speaker 1: You If you google sex toys, it's a whole other thing.
Speaker 2: Did you know that sex toys date back over twenty eight thousand years ancient fallacies were made from stone, bronze. But that's hamshit, dung oh and bread. Yes you heard me, bread.
Speaker 4: Yes, you heard me.
Speaker 2: Bread. I know the camel. And then there's a picture of the world's oldest dildo.
Speaker 4: Wow, looks like bread.
Speaker 1: That's not the question you're asking. You're asking did sex toys exist?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, I just asked when did the term sex toys originate? And this is what came out of the bread of the bread se the the sex toys, And yeah it doesn't hmmm, marital aids is what they were?
Speaker 4: Really aids?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Alternative terms for sex toy included adult toy and the dated euphemism adult toys.
Speaker 4: Is is that what I said? Adult toy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, adult toy.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, God, I guess adult toys makes sense.
Speaker 2: It does marital aid makes sense. I mean, there's I can't I can't believe we're having this conversation and that bone. Ivory Tall Oh jeez, yeah, there's a lot. Yeah. And the first vibrator was made in the eighteen eighties. Imagine trying that out for the first time.
Speaker 4: Wow. Okay, well, well to Penga ignores the dramatics. I'm looking very forward to spending all the next few days together getting to know you better than I ever have before. Cory Scoff's Well, if I would have known we were just going to do that, I would have bought the flannel pajamas with the feet. He angrily blows out a candle before continuing in his fit of rage instead of the silk pajamas and the silk blankets and these silk sheets. He jumps onto the bed quite forcefully and slides right off, sending him to the other end, knocking over Sean's sad tower of soda it's.
Speaker 2: Crazing cann Yeah, he slams into that wall. My question is, does does Corey at this point not know that they're not having sex until marriage? I mean, it's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: I also, I mean, I think it's kind of funny. I think it's a good bit, Like it's just as much drying. I think it's funny, Like, I mean totally.
Speaker 3: The fact the bummer is that it reduces Topanga to a joke, right. The bummer is that it reduces to or makes to Panga as a character, just the like shrill you know withholding woman. That's a bummer. But take it as like a bit like the idea that like Corey is just trying is really funny. I think it begs for good frustration. It's like, can me think about the poem episode when he's like, that's funny, Like I like Corey being neurotic and crazy about the I don't know, it's it's yeah, it's just the other side is not good.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, both if we got both that very clearly loved and adored her and knew her and worshiped her.
Speaker 3: Or just imagine if we had an episode where Tapega wanted to also have sex, but you know, but had reasons like I don't know, I guess religious reasons to not lose her virginitator. Like it would be funny if she also had desires, right, Like, wouldn't.
Speaker 4: They She used to remember, we used to say she would when he would want to do when they'd plan their nights away, and she didn't. You it's my I don't trust myself. I also want to do this, yeah, and like, but yet it's important to me, for whatever reason, it's important to me that we wait, and and yet I want to. So it was played that way before and now it's played. And Topanga also somehow finds this cute because in the episode a couple of weeks ago, when she said to Angela, isn't my patient little Corey.
Speaker 2: C Yeah, it's really not.
Speaker 4: It's not cute. But that's the dynamic that they've set up, is that Topanga is with and and thinks it's cute that she's toying with him.
Speaker 2: The tiniest little switch for this episode, the tiniest little change that could have made the difference, is that Corey actually gets everything right in the game about Topanga, and it's Topanga that gets the things wrong about Corey so that she wants to mass so then she's like, we need to spend the night, we need to move in together, where he's like, no, of course, I know your left head.
Speaker 3: Like if everything about her, he keeps obsessed with her, and she's all these years.
Speaker 4: Well even if she didn't take it for granted, even if it's more she actually has, She's like, no, it is tune. No, remember that night we went to such and such and it was tune And he was like, that was just that place that one time, but overall my favorite fish of salmon. Like if she thought she really knew him and had reasons to think she was getting the answers right, only then to find out, oh my gosh, yeah I don't know you. I don't know you want like that well because that because you could save them both that way, he's completely obsessed with her. She thought she was right, had a great answer for it, but no, you didn't pay enough attention. You weren't looking looking close enough.
Speaker 2: If he was the one, it was like, you didn't even know I was right handed. She's like, yeah, that was bad, that was Yeah, it changed everything.
Speaker 4: Then we're in Chet's trailer. Sean has now taken his jeans off and thrown them in Jack's face. He points to his boxers and asks, are you sure you didn't buy these two? Jack begs him, don't take those off. Sean continues, I don't want to spend my life being a handout case. Jack tries to tell him he understands, but Sean shouts, no, you don't, you don't. Jack's Jack's eye and Sean quickly cools down. I don't expect you to. It's not your fault. I appreciate what you and your stepdad did for me. What a beautiful scene. You guys are having two multiple scenes. It's just so great. Jack wonders, then why can't you just accept it and move on? And Sean responds, move on from what? Nothing is? What I thought it was. I don't know what I am anymore. Jack assures him, you're my brother in his underwear, Sean cracks a smile. Jack begs him to please get dressed and throws his clothes back at him. Sean promises, I'm gonna pay you back for everything. Jack lets him know you want to pay me back. Let me know who my father was. Ah ah it's great, beautiful.
Speaker 2: Also, minus the father stuff, this would have been at Corey Shaan seen three seasons. Yes, yeah, right, so yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: Sean doesn't understand, so Jack explains, why do you think I wanted to come down here so badly? I wanted to find out just a little something about him. Sean's convinced Jack knows more about him than he does, but Jack wants to know the important stuff. At least Sean has memories with him. Jack was gone before he could have any. Jack was gone, or Chet was gone. Chet Chet was gone before he could have any, and now that he's gone, he'll never have any. Sean thinks that might be a good thing, because Jack's okay, he's the lucky one. There's no need for him to go through this kind of pain.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. That line right there is just it says everything for the episode. It's like, there's no you didn't know him, so you're not going through anything, and it's just it's there's no reason for you to go through what I'm going. I'm glad you're not feeling anything right now, you're feelings because you know that that Jack's going through stuff too, and his feelings are just being diminished just regard. Oh it's great, it's really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like like low key one of the most like erman like well plotted character arcs drama wise in an episode because we don't like it because because it's.
Speaker 1: A Jack episode.
Speaker 3: You're right, and it just takes it's a time bomb and it just takes its time to get there and it never is like spelled out in any Really it's it's really really well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very well done. It's very layered. So yeah, it's a sleeper hit. It is.
Speaker 4: Back in Cory and t Banga's dorm. To Penga is in a robe, laying on her bed, covering her face with the book she's reading. Corey walks in from the co ed bathroom, toothbrush in his mouth, around his neck, humming to himself. To Panga moves the book, revealing a bright green face mask. Corey screams in fear and to Panga gives him a sad look. He quickly corrects himself, I do remember.
Speaker 2: This mask too. I remember this whole scene with you, and it's onion dip.
Speaker 4: It was it's onions. Well yeah, well it's food coloring, so I think it's yogurt with an onion dip mix so that you get the onion like little chinks. Yeah uh, he quickly corrects himself. I mean you look nice. Topanga explains, it's face cream. It keeps keeps her skin soft. Corey pleads, take it off. It scares me. Corey sits on his bed and removes his slippers to begin a toenail clipping routine, so something he does every night or no, because.
Speaker 2: He said he hadn't cut it into year.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 4: While the nail flies directly onto Tapanga's face toenail clipping.
Speaker 1: God also have done something else. We could figure it out another so gross, let's just come up with another bit.
Speaker 4: I just like, I still don't understand why Corey had in his mind a big sexy night, even though now is he trying to punish her?
Speaker 2: Like? Is he? Is he?
Speaker 4: Because otherwise why I'll be like, I'm not going to cut my toenails tonight to PEG's here, like I don't want to turn her off. I don't know. It just feels like you also got.
Speaker 2: Your toenails before sex night. That's the whole point prepared for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, come on.
Speaker 4: She yelps in pain. Get it off of me, Get it off of me. Corey calls her a baby because it's just a toenail. Tepegan winds which toe and Corey grin's the big Daddy.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't. Did you notice he cut one of the small little ones? Did he? But he said it was the big He said it was the big Daddy.
Speaker 4: Tapega asks when he last clipped it, and Corey guesses, I don't know a year ago. Tapanga demands him to get it off of her. It's stuck on her face somewhere. Corey groans, gosh, take it easy, you baby, it's just hygiene. He starts searching her face for the toenail, and that's when Eric barges in, you know something, I was so in my own thing. I forgot to give you a little brotherly advice on this whole living together situation. Then he sees to pang his green face. First thing you're gonna have to do is get rid of the alien, call Mulder and Scully. They don't know what to do. Yeah, I love it, my favorite show at the time, Tapeka tells Eric it's her. Eric lights up. Pangy dang girl, you look bad. He points out, Oh, you got a toenail right here. Look at that. He holds it in his finger and wonders ground rule. Double Corey nods, yeah, off the green monster. Eric grabs the clippers. He's up. He begins to take off his shoe, but Topanga isn't having it. Get out. That's fine with Eric. He has his little kum quat at home, but there is one thing he wants to do before he leaves. He grabs Topanga's face and starts squeezing it, leaving his fingers covered in green stuff. He eventually finishes, peace, I'm out of here as he.
Speaker 1: Leaves eats it.
Speaker 2: I remember that the third take of doing it too, because you can hear the audience go like, yes, I hadn't done it before. Yeah, this first time I licked my fingers. Yeah. I just remember I was just trying to make you laugh, because the whole time I was just like shaking your face I Will, like just trying to see if I could get you to break, and you didn't.
Speaker 3: This is a truly bizarre scene like one going on.
Speaker 1: It's just silliness. It's just like, let's get Will in there and do some silliness. It's yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: And then as he leaves, he sticks a finger of the green stuff into his mouth, and the inmates find this disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: Now alone again, to Pega looks at Corey with utter disappointment. Even that knows you better than I do. Corey tells her to relax. It's only because he and Eric have lived together. To Pega size, maybe this wasn't such a good idea, but Corey assures her it is. Anytime you and I are together, it is always a good idea. To Peka tells Corey she's going to wash up now with noticeably less green on her face than the prior shot, and then they can go to sleep. She leaves, and Corey straightens up his sheets and then shakes his pillow ten times. Topanga watches from the door in utter shock, and then decides to just leave. Corey continues his nighttime routine, which includes winding up his alarm clock, straightening the sheets on the other end, and saying a prayer aloud. As an acoustic guitar begins to play. He asks God to bless his mother and father and asks that the new baby be blessed and live a good life and be a good person. He asks that Eric, Morgan, Jack and Sean be blessed as well, and asks that they please get through this tough time. He also asks that Chet be taken care of and that Sean not go too crazy. Then Topanga walks in undetected. He asks that Angela be blessed and that she and Sean always be together. Not that he's pushing one way or another. He just wants everyone to be happy. And lastly, he asks that Topanga be blessed. She's now staring at him and smiling just five feet away. He has no idea she's there. No, he thanks God, she's not care big deal. Everyone has a.
Speaker 2: Catolog Yeah, and he's doing it right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's doing his right now. He thanks God for bringing her to him and asks that they always be together no matter what happens, even if they're not completely compatible, let them learn to be completely compatible to Pega then takes a seat next to him and starts her own prayer. She asks that Corey be blessed. He's the greatest guy she's ever known and someone she can't wait to spend the rest of her life with. Then she turns to face Corey. You want to know why, because I want to change everything about you. The audience laughs as Corey lovingly takes her hand. The sweet ending so see, and a funny joke for Pegga. And then we're in the apartment. Jack's at the kitchen table looking through Chet's financial portfolio. When Rachel enters. She wants to know how it went at the trailer park, and Jack says Sean came down. She asks if he's doing okay, and Jack shrugs, I don't know, I hope. So Rachel inquires, well, how about you. Jack insists, oh, I'm fine, Yeah, I'm good. See I'm the lucky one because I don't have to go through any of that pain. Clearly sad, he takes a deep breath. I just didn't even know him. Rachel quickly comes to a side to comfort him. Jack's now on the verge of tears. It's just that I'm trying not to get in the way of his grief. But I'll just never get to know my real dad. Rachel explains, I know, but you can't keep this inside. You just can't. Jack insists that he can, and then he leans into Rachel for a hug. She holds him and strokes his hair, telling him it's going to be okay. He pulls away, but she continues to hold him. They stare into each other's eyes and then they kiss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Rachel is a great moment Like this the kiss felt real, it was like it was earned.
Speaker 1: Their performances were just great.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is one of the best kisses on Boy Meets World, Like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, because we have lots of kisses on the show that are just.
Speaker 3: Like like just a kiss, but this was like actually a character beat.
Speaker 1: Like you watch them change, It's like, this is a kiss you you you have on a show?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really? And they kiss it all together. It looks good, Like like, I agree with you. It was intriguing, it was characters earned, it was passionate. It was great, a very good kiss.
Speaker 4: I also think they set it up perfectly where it really came out. You were not expecting that this episode was going with that. You just did not You did not see it coming. They start to fully make out and that's when onque Eric walks in. He hangs his head in sadness and walks.
Speaker 1: And they don't notice because.
Speaker 2: Nobody don't you tongue deep in each other?
Speaker 4: So at this point, yeah, they're about to bring out the marital aids. And then we're back in Jet's trailer. Sean's rifling through some more of his dad's things when Corey walks in. Sean's happy to see him, and Corey thanks his best friend for letting him have the room last night. Sean wonders how things went, and Corey tells him, so.
Speaker 1: Do you know they're moving in together by having one night?
Speaker 4: Yes, we were spending a couple of days together, which is what she said. Yeah, she said where we should live together. But living together is like when you move somewhere for a couple of weeks and you say I lived in Seattle once, and really you just meant you spent some time there.
Speaker 2: So true.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know what the best part about being a virgin is? Sean doesn't get it. What, but Corey clarifies, no, I'm asking.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: Corey changes the subject, asking Sean how he's doing. Sean admits, I've been so angry. I haven't been able to see straight. But now that Angela is not in my life anymore, and my dad's gone, I figure it's a good chance for me to get out of here. Corey agrees, yeah, you don't want to be hanging around in this trailer. He suggests Sean come back to the dorm so they can talk. Sean wonders, so you into Pank aren't living together anymore? Corey says, yeah, but only during the day. At night, she's scary, but I love her and we have our whole lives to live together and get to know each other. Sean earnestly is happy for him. Then he reveals he wants to break away for a while, clear his head and find out who he is. Corey reminds me him, you just lost your father. Sean points out he left me this trailer. It's all he had. Eventually, I'm going to have to sell it off and start paying back some debts. But in the meantime, I'm going to hitch it up and hit the open road. Thought maybe you'd come with me for the weekend. Cory's in. You know, we're young, we're wild. He asks Sean if he can drive, and Sean quickly says no. Corey calls shotgun instead and hops out of the trailer. Sean hangs back for a second, kisses his hand and touches the horseshoe above the door before heading out.
Speaker 3: What is the value system of Corey and to Pangan not just like wrapping my head around, like what is going on? Because the idea is like we love each other, We're meant to be together, so we matter what, no matter what. Okay, So they're not getting married because they want to have a good wedding ceremony with all their family.
Speaker 1: That was the decision based on the first two up.
Speaker 4: Right, So I'm assuming that means they feel the need to save up for it or to do something, but they definitely want to have a big wedding, big wedding.
Speaker 2: Right, And the secret they don't have to run away to do it like they're doing.
Speaker 3: They're not sleeping with each other or living with each other because of religion, right, I mean its.
Speaker 4: Never like Corey's mentioned God more than to Beanga has right.
Speaker 3: He's praying right, Yeah, Yeah, It's it's so interesting, Like it's like I feel like nowadays you would have to explain that a little bit more because it's like back then, it does feel like it was just kind of a given, like, oh, you're not married, you don't live together, you don't sleep together, and waiting till marriage to have sex is like understandable.
Speaker 1: But I feel like nowadays you'd.
Speaker 3: Be like, wait, if we're supposed to believe that these people have known each other forever, they're totally in love, they're committed to one another together.
Speaker 2: To Panga was raised by a very open hippie family and they're very much known to not have sex at all, and in organized.
Speaker 4: Religion, anybody Woodstock.
Speaker 2: Is all our organized religion and abstinence.
Speaker 3: It actually would have been a great because it it kind of does make sense because the truth is a lot of people that grow up in those situations the other way, right, So the idea that Tapango would be more conservative and like grieve structure and like rules makes perfect sense. And I wish we kind of explored that and like spelled that out a little bit because it would it would.
Speaker 4: Would have been a nice touch for that would have required episodes about to Panga.
Speaker 1: I think we do get there, because we do have your parents come back.
Speaker 4: They have and I think it comes. I think I think unfortunately what we have though is not good. I think it's very like, yeah, I don't think it's good, but I don't, it's probably probably or you know what, It's all about my father, It's about their marriage. It's not about me. It's about them and and and it's like, not about them, not about me.
Speaker 1: Or woman or sexy.
Speaker 4: The best women are men. And then we're in the tag when Corey and Shan's dorm in the hallway, Corey is following Sean, who looks very focused. Corey doesn't understand why it was so important they come here, and Sean explains, I want to say goodbye. It's Panga. Corey reminds him we're going away for the weekend. I'm not even saying goodbye tor. Sean points out they're already here, so why not now At the door, Corey suggests not to go in, but Sean says he's only going to say goodbye. He opens the door to see Tapanga and her pajamas back with the green face cream on, but this time she's clipping her toenails and broadcasting her own basketball game with Cheryl Swoops. Topega yells, she shoots, then she clips a toail, landing it directly onto Sean's face. She victoriously shouts scores Whoao. Sean grabs his eye in pain. What the heck was that? Corey pats him on the shoulder. She's beautiful, isn't she? Sean whispers, she looks like the swamp thing. Corey laughs, I know, let's go. Corey leaves without saying a word to her, but Sean again lingers by the door. He gives her a very serious goodbye, and Topanga waves without a second thought, going right back to her toenails. There we go, There we go episode.
Speaker 2: This could be one of those ones where we're we're trying to do the season six draft. This could be one that we're all trying to grab them. There one of the higher episodes. I may expected, unexpected.
Speaker 1: Really good. Yeah, yep. Probably the best kiss on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: I think. I think you're right. I think if we're giving out awards, it's the best.
Speaker 2: Think this best kiss, most important kiss is to Panga pushing that, but that's almost important, best kiss, most earned kissed, every this is.
Speaker 1: This has got to be up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails. Pod Meets World show at gmail dot com and We've got merch.
Speaker 2: The Greeks were also one of the first groups to use the term toy in reference to a merch.
Speaker 4: Thought Meansworldshow dot com. Join us for our next episode recap, which will be season six, episode fifteen, road Trip, which originally aired February fifth, nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they're going to stumble onto an all girl band. Oh you want you like your weird?
Speaker 4: Well, send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmeats World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com.