Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. We did it, We did it. We made it to the final hour of the program. Limping towards the finish line, Todd, how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: I feel good.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: It ain't nothing going to break my stride. Wasn't that a song?
Speaker 4: I get poked and prodded it And sometimes I'm wrong and I'm not paying attention and I'm wandering while I'm doing other things. But you know, I'm not the first and last person to be defensive on the staff about comments that are made.
Speaker 2: So I'm good.
Speaker 3: That's gonna make it all better.
Speaker 5: If you've never felt defensive or upset with a comment that was talking about you, done, it's just a say any hands, it's a Friday, it's the final hour.
Speaker 4: It seemed like a minor thing. I'm getting tweets saying I thought the same thing I thought. Polly looked it up and gave you the answer. So there's other people not paying attention.
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 3: It's okay. It's likely for them they don't work here. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: If there's a punishment for me, I'm paying attention.
Speaker 3: No you would question, he answered it. Why are you looking at me?
Speaker 2: What did I say it that it was meant to be an?
Speaker 4: I guess a history of years and years of little pokes a pride, so everyone has their line that you go to do on the Eventually something's gonna be like, you know what, This time, I'm gonna be like, no, this is bull I'm gonna say something to back.
Speaker 3: Okay, anything else you want to say, that's it.
Speaker 4: I was being honest in the moment I was paying attention. There have been times where you called me and I set eleven and you're asking for the name of a person who was the last person that did that.
Speaker 2: I would have to be eleven, would have been the guy that did that.
Speaker 3: But you don't admit when you're wrong, when you've doubled down.
Speaker 2: I told you this a long time ago.
Speaker 4: If you don't say how wonderful great I am anything other than that, I'm tuning everyone out. I just need to hear how great. That's just babyish quality in me.
Speaker 7: Yes, Set, Just for the record, that you didn't say it with that kind of attitude. That's just the joke that I'm making, Okay, And the more that I make the joke, the worse it's gonna get about like your attitude about how you screamed it.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I don't hear myself and I'm like, if I came across like that, that's I didn't mean to sound rude and like I was, we were.
Speaker 3: Just having fun. Why why is it that you're supposed to be mister funny, mister humor, but you don't have one? I sense of humor.
Speaker 2: I think some of the funniest people or that think they're funny, I should.
Speaker 3: Say you're not one of the funniest.
Speaker 4: I think that they're funny and think that they make people laugh, are the most sensitive.
Speaker 2: Okay, probably in.
Speaker 7: The look on Twitter are comparing this to the scene with Joe pesci and Spider and Good fellas he goes to get the drink. They're like, there's really no reason for it to escalate like this, but it has, and some Spider doesn't end well for him. Spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite that violent, but I get annoyed in the moment every one in a while.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's a meat Friday. We have reverse seared reb what.
Speaker 2: Paul just gave you the answer? Why A we're going around the room.
Speaker 7: I'll just give you the answer.
Speaker 3: How often do I say or phrase it this way? When's the last time the blank made? The playoffs?
Speaker 2: And Paulie usually takes it upon himself as as a lead producer.
Speaker 4: I want to get Dan that answer as quickly as ponsible, and he would look it up and give it to you.
Speaker 2: I know it became a game show.
Speaker 3: If I went to Marvin instead of Paulie, would you then have offered up an answer?
Speaker 4: Probably not, I would think Martin would say, ask Paulie. He's the one that always gives you that like ask of it.
Speaker 7: That's what he would have said.
Speaker 3: Why are you asking me?
Speaker 2: Well, he's very good and very fast of finding information.
Speaker 3: To Todd, we do this all the time where I throw it to everybody around the room.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll say, I guess his guests.
Speaker 4: Was so sounded so confident that it sounds like the actual answer when I say that, as opposed to me not paying attention altogether, which has happened. But in that case, what Paulie said to you sound like he knew the answer and that was the answer that he was given to you after researching it.
Speaker 3: But why would I go to you if Paulie gave me the answer.
Speaker 2: It didn't make sense.
Speaker 4: I thought that was just you were having like a senior moment, and like, why are we're going around the room.
Speaker 2: Paul he just gave it. I don't I didn't understand. It didn't make sense.
Speaker 3: See now you tripled down. Now you've tripled.
Speaker 4: He's asking me if Pauli just gave him the answer, and he wants me to just to reiterate.
Speaker 7: Pa problem Dan here is you're old. I know not that Todd wasn't paying attention.
Speaker 2: See if everybody thinks.
Speaker 4: What Paulie said is the right answer that he just gave you, let's say they will just say the same number.
Speaker 3: Damn you, It is deep, deep, deep rooted.
Speaker 2: I got to go talk to somebody.
Speaker 3: Your mom, your mommy. You need to talk to your mommy.
Speaker 8: No less time talking tobut more time talking to a professional.
Speaker 2: I could use a little time on the couch.
Speaker 3: Holy smoker. Alrighty, damn oh.
Speaker 2: I just told you what the answer was. What's your deal?
Speaker 3: Okay? Todd point made We got it? Thank you? Yeah? Uh you know what, I'm gonna take away meat Friday. You know, the hell with you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, punish everybody, do it.
Speaker 3: I want them to hate you Todd for this. Yeah, you know, just throw it all in the trashy. No, I'm going next door giveing to them. I'm going to the fire department. Give it to true heroes.
Speaker 4: How much for the New Year's resolution being nice to Todd. It's like people that joined the gym January first and or January fifth, they're not going anywhere to get the chetohs are coming back out.
Speaker 3: Yeah those people. Okay, once again, we have Carolina Gold Oysters dug in North Carolina kind enough to send those to us yesterday, reverse seared rib crabcakes and that's you, Todd. Crabcake and a bacon wrapped scoumps. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 9: A lot.
Speaker 3: Sunday night wild card matchup? You know who's playing Todd.
Speaker 2: The Sunday and I matchup involved the Commanders in the Bucks.
Speaker 3: You know the last time the Commanders made the postseason.
Speaker 2: I think Paul has the answer for you.
Speaker 3: Nineteen years ago when they won a playoff game.
Speaker 2: Harvin, how many years ago?
Speaker 3: Was Sunday seven thirty Eastern on NBC and Pete he just said nineteen.
Speaker 7: Dan just said nineteen big win for Notre Dame last night by big, big win for Notre Dame. He can't script this, just said nineteen years. The true Marvin how many years? He just said nineteen So.
Speaker 3: Notre Dame comes back to be Penn State twenty seven to twenty four.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go with nineteen.
Speaker 3: Tonight, Ohio State versus Texas. Ohio State is favored by six. We had Chris Fowler on first hour, Chris will call the game with Herbie tonight on the mother Ship and I said, are we underestimating Texas? And he said no, I think it's the opposite. We're waiting for Texas to put together a great game that they haven't put together a great game. And He's right, you're kind of waiting for Texas, I don't know, to prove that they are as talented as anybody in the country. And Arizona State had them. But you know, a fourth and thirteen call by a Quinn Hugh, you know that changed the game. But I think you know you're looking at Texas. The defensive line is great. Offensive line protecting Quinn Hewers. Can you run the football is really I think the key to Texas can they run the football in Ohio State, trying to limit them, you know, the big plays that you can get. I mean, good luck with that. But that's probably the philosophy going into this. You have NFL openings. We still have the Bears, Jags, Jets, Patriots, Raiders, and the Saints. The Raiders also open for business for a GM as well. Tom Telesco, who was with the Chargers, went to the Raiders and lasted a year. The Vikings and the Rams wisely moving to Arizona. That makes sense for everybody involved. And I know it can be inconvenience for Viking fans coming in obviously Rams fans, but understanding what is going on in the city of Los Angeles. You can't take away police first responders. You can't take them away from what they're doing with their jobs. And you're still seeing I mean, these firefighters are out there and all night. That's what always whenever you see the video and it's at night, like how scary it is. Anyway, if you've ever been involved in a natural disaster, whether it's a hurricane, a tornado, I was involved in a tornado growing up, and it was at night and yet just you know it adds more to the scariness of it. You can't see, you know, homes are being destroyed right in front of you. And here you have these fires and you just see this, you know, bright red blaze, and then these people trying to figure out where to go is I told you a friend of mine who lost his house. I found that out. He lives in Pacific Poli Stage. He said that he took his wife and two daughters outside and the winds were blowing so hard he didn't know which direction to go in. You know, there's no GPS to get away from a fire. And he said, you're making a decision that can cost you and your family their lives. So and he said, it happened so quickly. It's not like you say, oh the fire is coming, it's hours away. He said, it just happened. And next thing you know, you're saying, grab your computers, grab your phones, and you know, whatever else you have that you grab, let's go. And he said he got outside, and he's supposed to be the one who's making this decision. And he said to me later, broke my heart. He said, I'm such a coward. He goes, I was so afraid, I said, you're not a coward. I said, you just have to be strong for your daughters. And he said, I don't know if I was. Now they since got to a hotel, but and he said, I think my house is destroyed. I don't know, but he said, that's the least my worries. He said, but I had to make a decision in the moment. Do I go left, do I go right? Do I go north? Do I go south? They said, their life does not you know, prepare you for something like that. So a long winded way of saying, you know, the people in Los Angeles, certainly the firefighters, first responders, breaks my heart to see it. And you know what, we haven't even got through all of this. I know the winds are dying down. But hopefully, hopefully there's some positives somewhere in all of this. Eight seven seven three DP show email address Tpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show. Get a couple of phone calls in here Doug in North Carolina, Hi, Dug.
Speaker 1: Hey Dan, how are you today?
Speaker 3: I'm great, thanks to the oysters that you sent.
Speaker 9: Well, you're welcome, but actually I wanted to thank you today. If you can give me thirty seconds to go on and about what the show has meant to me about several years ago, I quit my job in the local TV industry to start a ministry and it was very slow going, very slow going, And right around that time I discovered your show. And what really endured me to you guys were the rare occasions when you would talk about the slow start to the Dan Patrick Radio Show. And I told you a year ago you need to write a book that starts with that story of you drinking beer at a pizza parlor. But what a stayed with me about that story, specifically was the ending where Polly gives you a pep talk and walks into his room, calls his wife and says, I think I made the worst mistake of my life. And that's been inspiring to me because I knew how it ended up for you guys. And this nonprofit that we started is had a great year. We've helped pay five hundred thousand dollars in rental support. I think we're making a difference. But I sincerely mean I would have quit a long time ago. Pardon me if I didn't discover your show. You guys kept me going by talking about your humble days and it's meant a great deal to me, and so thank you. I mean, I hope this little token shows my appreciation.
Speaker 2: Doug.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Thank you for being a loyal listener and always look forward to your phone calls and just give me the cliff notes version. We were just starting the show and we were in Los we were in Burbank, and we just we were doing the first week of shows and I had not done mornings before. I'm in Los Angeles. I'm so proud to be morning drive radio in Los Angeles. And we got done with the show. I didn't think it was a good show. I don't think management thought it was very good. And Paulie took both barrels from management. I mean, he took it. And I'm watching this happen at the end of the show, the last ten minutes, and he's getting dressed down, he's getting berated, and I walked out to him and I said, what he goes now, don't worry about, don't worry about, just finish up the show. We got done. I said, what the bleep happened? And then he told me, And I was just so disappointed that we tried. We were trying we're figuring, trying to figure this out. And I remember walking from the radio station and I was going back to my hotel and I it's nine fifteen in the morning, and I go buy this pitzeria and you know, the guy's in there mopping. They're not opening up for a couple of hours. I'm banging on the door, banging, and the guy goes.
Speaker 10: No, not open.
Speaker 3: I said, I just can I get a Can I get a picture of beer? And he's like, yeah, come on in. So I think he realized I needed a beer, like a movie. Maybe not a picture a beer, but I just I thought, oh my god, I never should have left ESPN. And but you know, Paulie, you know, told me it'll be better, whether you believed it or not. But it's probably the best moment, most valuable moment Paulie ever had. Was I don't know if he knew we were going to be successful, and I didn't feel that way. And I called my wife and went back to the hotel. I stayed at the restaurant for two hours and had a picture of beer and then waited for them to make a pizza. And then I think I left him one hundred dollars tip. I'm like, you don't know what you just did for me. I go back to the hotel. I call my wife. I said, hun, I think I just made the biggest decision of my worst decision of my life. And she said, no, you didn't, No, you didn't. And I remember I had to get together with Paulie. I'm like, god, dang, talk me down off the ledge. And I remember I said, all right, damn it. So you know, you go to bed at seven in the morning to wake up at four point thirty. And I just said, all right, we're going to take bullets here. We just have to survive because if we're if we're successful Morning Drive in LA, we'll be picked. And at the time, I think we had eighteen radio states, like I couldn't get anybody to take the show, and we were doing the show in my attic for three years. But you know what, it all came together. It just for some reason. And you know, give credit to the dan Nets because they picked up my spirits the whole time, because I'd be like MOPy Dick coming in. I'd be like, oh my god, yeah pulling.
Speaker 6: I gotta tell you it's funny because I remember that day.
Speaker 8: In those next couple of days, I was much less worried because I always trust.
Speaker 6: Talent and skill and ability. You're talented.
Speaker 8: Seaton was great at what he did, even things he didn't know he had to do when he joined us. He's back home patching stuff. He's not an engineer, he was engineering. I knew Fritzi was going to book the hell out of the show. I'm confident myself and the four of us are good at what we do, and I was like, it's going to shake out. It's like you ever watched the first few episodes of Seinfeld. They're horrible, the first few episodes of the Sopranos, they're horrible because they haven't found their way yet. And three days after this show you just talked about, we had David Comes first American interview, right, we had Phil Jackson the next day. Fritzy crushed it, and then it just started taking on a life of itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was management had an idea of how they wanted this show done.
Speaker 6: And he didn't listen.
Speaker 3: We did not Nope. Yeah, I said, look I'm going down. If I'm going down, I'm going down, and flames my way because this is why part of the reason why I left ESPN is I wanted to do it my way and we outlasted everybody. But it's a testament to everybody involved in this because man I lacked a whole I lacked confidence, that's for sure. But that beer. I've never had a better tasting beer than that beer. That morning at about nine to twenty five in Burbank to go buy that pizzeria, see if they're open for business.
Speaker 8: I was at the breakfast bar at the hotel eating leftover omelets or something for the morning crew.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Any who, we're all together here and that's all that matters. Time many years later, yeah, eleven later? Yeah, how many years later? Eleven nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 2: I were just poking. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, we went from you complaining to me talking about this is a feel good moment. You know, we've helped lives, We've helped people.
Speaker 2: That's what you do.
Speaker 4: You turn things around, You get things back on track. Just one it looks like it's totally off the rails. You bring it back with your professionalism.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tom, thank you. Yeah, what were we talking about it exactly? Bill Kawer is set to join us coming up next. We hope you'll stay with us as well after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 3: Hall of Fame head coach Bill Kauer and was so part of NFL Today on CBS studio. Am oh, look who showed up early? I coach?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I found Waldough.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh. I told you I was going to put it, put it up there, and we made you there you go.
Speaker 13: I appreciate that. I said's stage right, it's good.
Speaker 3: Does it look like you are you? Did you have to approve it?
Speaker 13: I have I have multiple babble heads. I had one with a gold jacket on, another one with a headset. I think this one with a headset. I had to get the one that's just the coach. You just hall of fame, doesn't it doesn't deserve to be on that desk. I'm a regular guy, like the policeman, like everybody else. I'm not. I'm not just in the old football coach right next to the San Antonio traffic police guy.
Speaker 3: Are you did you grow up hating Penn State?
Speaker 13: Go out? When I didn't offer me a scholarship. So but my brother went there.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, because I'm watching the game last night, I'm like, I think your dad was at Ducuane, like you feel like you were a pit guy.
Speaker 13: Oh. I was on the recruiting trip up there, and they never offered me a scholarship. And ironically enough, my freshman year at NC State, I played as a freshman against them, and before the game, I pulled out the leather that says they didn't think I was big enough to play college Division one football. I said, well, we'll find out today, won't we.
Speaker 3: Uh, did you model your game after anybody?
Speaker 13: No? You know, I grew up. I grew up watching Jack Lambert. I mean I just I loved him. I didn't do it, but I loved Hacksaw Reynolds when he used to chop his steet in place before the ball was snapped. Just guys, I mean just people had their own personalities, right, and that's that's I just I like Jack was my guy, Dick Buckis was my guy, and Ray Nitchkey were my guys. Those were the three guys I looked at.
Speaker 3: We talk about the Lions and Dan Campbell and creating culture and it's a weird word. When you create cult? Do you know how to create culture?
Speaker 13: You know? I think culture is something that is manifested. I think it takes time. It's creating a building where you'd like to think that you walk in there, there's a selflessness about it. There's also a sense of purpose about it. There's a trust that exists, and you're able to kind of give ownership to the players to oversee the locker room. And I think that's when you know you've gotten to that level. But the culture is about being real, being transparent, about holding people accountable, and you're in there for one purpose. When you walk in, their leader, you go at the door, and we're all in this thing together.
Speaker 3: When did the hatred for the Ravens start? Or well both ways here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean I when they moved from Cleveland to Baltimore, I just call them the Browns. I mean, they can call themselves the Ravens, but I call them the Browns and are the same thing that we're up the turnpick. It's going to go We're going to go east instead of going north. But there's still the same team. We don't like, there's still the same team. We take very personal with and so, and then it probably happened right around that two thousand era when ray Lewis came in and start doing the dance they had to and then we were going back and forth with the division at that time. And I think that's the real robberies are kind of bridge you know what, Dan, It's like when you have when you are both fighting for that division and you find yourselves on top. And then we were both kind of identically built. It was about kind of a run in the football, play defense, impose yourself on the other team, and we kind of all took we took pride in that physicality part of the game. And I think the early two thousands that was absolutely identified and that's what that game was all about.
Speaker 3: You don't strike me as a coach who would allow as players to be dancing like ray Lewis did to open up a game.
Speaker 13: Well, we didn't dance, but we talked a lot. I think we had a lot of guys that like to get the last word in. Joey Porter was never never was lost for words on the field.
Speaker 3: But you were okay with that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I wanted edgy players. I didn't mind having edgy players I know. I always said, my job as a coach is for you to walk that line of being that almost arrogant, almost like supreme. I feel you're the best person on that field, and when you cross the line, my job is to pull you back. Where do you cross the line when you disrespect the game, You disrespect the opponent, or you disrespect a teammate, and that's dancing or doing something that's in someone's face. So I said, just as long as you respect the game, walk that line. And sometimes I felt a guy, we're almost too safe, too cautious, didn't want to make a mistake, And I said, if if I can't, if I don't pull you back periodically, you're not walking the line close enough. So I kind of encourage them to get to be a little bit of a swagger when we walked on that field.
Speaker 3: Hall of Famer Bill Kauer, of course, NFL Today, CBS Studio analyst, Did you ever come close to wanting to go after another coach? Punch a coach, not.
Speaker 13: Punch of coach. But I think there's obviously the clip of me with Chris Hudson when he picked up the block field goal of dont Jacksonville walking down the sideline and I kind of just was gonna do one of those. But I blame I. But then I blame that on the ghost of Woody Hayes. It was actually the very same sideline, the very same part in the field where he punched Charlie Bowman from Clemson. So I think I think that was just that was the Woody Hayes that came out of. It was the same field, same part of the field. It's it's ironic if you go back and someone pulling that out to me and I said, well, that answers that couldn't have been me doing that. But no, I'm you know, I never know. You know. I respected the game and I love to compete. I didn't like losing, but never really took it that personally. If that took a personally, I took it upon myself that we didn't do enough to win the game.
Speaker 3: If I gave you the lines or the field in the NFC, who would you take.
Speaker 13: Well, right now, I would say the Lions. And I say that for this reason. They are so battle tested right now. They are such a reflection of Dan Campbell. Everyone keeps talking about what they don't have, and he just keeps using that for fuel to fuel this team. Aaron Glenn has done a vantais two job. Ben Johnson I think is one of the best offensive coordinators in the league. And they're getting a little bit healthy right now. So they get a bye week and get healthy. You're playing at home in Detroit. They got to win two games. I just don't know for as a team there. You saw what they did against Minnesota. They and it's probably the biggest robbery if you think about that team. The only team I think that really can go in there are the Philadelphi Eagles. I think the Philadelphi Eagles has what it takes because they can run the football, they can play defense right now, and they got a really good offensive line. And if you again, Jalen Hurts comes back, he's supposed to come back this week. I think that's the one team to me that I think can battle them.
Speaker 3: If I gave you the Chiefs of the field in the AFC, well we've.
Speaker 13: Been picking against the Chiefs all season long. We keep waiting for the left to put the shoe to drop on that team. But you know, again, they're playing at home, they're getting healthy. I still look at Baltimore and Buffalo as two teams, then they're gonna meet probably in the divisional round to go there. I think both those teams kind of like the Thorn, and both of those teams has been the Kansas City Chiefs, So I think either one of those two teams are gonna have a chance to go into the Kansas City with a little bit of a chip on their shoulders. So I you know, again it's hard to pick against them, but I think there's a little bit. There's a few more teams in the AFC I think that can challenge the Chiefs, and there are in the NFC that can challenge the Lions.
Speaker 3: What's it like to be a head coach when you want your assistance, your offensive or defensive coordinators to be able to interview for a head coaching job. And I know this probably didn't go on when you were coaching, but now, I mean, imagine you're Dan Campbell and you're probably losing both of your coordinators, but he's still there as the head coach while they're interviewing for other jobs.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think the first week is not a problem. I think we have the week off. I think it's not a problem with that, And I think number one, I always looked at as a fender of my cap. You know, I had eight guys that went on to become head coaches from from my staff, and I always looked at that as you know, I was proud of that, a very very project that they were able to move on from us and be able to go to the next level. So I don't think I think it's a problem is when they're interviewing during the course of the game they're having that week. I don't think I would allow that because to me, the attention should be on that game, because that game is also going to be a reflection on your record and on our record, and it's an opportunity. In the playoffs, it's single elimination. This is not best of three, so it's single elimination. And to me, when you have the week of the game, that focus is on the week of the game, but the bye week, I get it. I understand it because people like to move fast in our league. And I think the bottom line and I said this, I told this to dan Is. I said, the one thing you have success And I learned this very early. Did you better have a backup plan, a backup plan to the're having. Your coordinators are going to get plucked to go to become a head coaches, which is a feather in your cap. It's nothing to look negatively about. But now be able to maybe work with in house and be able to promote in house if you can do it. And that's the ideal that atmosphere. You talk about culture, how about a great culture where you know if you stay right there and that you may have a chance to advance in your own field of employee and actually made a chance to become a head coach. So I think he has a backup plan to both those things, and I think most coaches do, but I always encourage them. Then when you have success, the first thing you better do is have a backup plan for your assistant coaches.
Speaker 3: You got a story about Rothlessburger frustrating you. Well, did he always listen to you when you called in plays?
Speaker 13: Well, he would do one of these things like he said no, no, that.
Speaker 2: He would say.
Speaker 13: It's not working. I said, well, there are communications I work and they go I think it is. I go, well, let's check his home. When he gets out, we grab that to just grab his helmet. One time we grabbed his homet they go coaches working, fine, he goes. It just came back off.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 13: That's not I go, that is not a true statement. Then I know it. It's not. You can't I can't hear it. You're calling plays. So then interesting question. Now I'm going to sit down. I always wonder about this, and I wanted to stalk to Sean McDermott and I'm going to ask him. I sit down with him later on today. Matter of fact, And when Josh Allen breaks the pocket, it was almost like when Ben used to break the pocket. It was like, oh no, here we go again. It's street ball. I don't know what's going to happen. It's kind of buckle your seatbelt and it's just like, oh my god, here he goes again. Just don't be careless, don't be reckless, and big players will happen. And Troy Paulamalou, he's supposed to playing half the field. I see him start to creep up to the wine of the screamers. I'm going, is he going to drop or not? I don't even know. So I so you wonder what goes through your stomach. But I always always say great players Troy Paula, Marlou Ben Roethlisberger. You can't harness greatness, and sometimes you want that to become an unbridled being that they have on that field where they can take over a game, and most of the times they do. Now, sometimes you're going to live with the mistakes that they have and the choices that they make. But man, you want these guys on your team, and you know through the course of time that their decision making is going to be the right thing. But you know what, in the meantime, though, you sit there, your stomach's turned. You're like a fan, like, oh boy, here we go again. I don't know it's going to happen, Like that was a great play, Yeah, sure was. So you just go do you turn into a fan watching this, go, oh, this will be interesting to see what happens here. He's running to the right, throwing it back to the left, and you know, it's just okay, you know. And sometimes those are the plays that you know that win championships and win games, and sometimes it's they're not the things they make up and it's the players that you entrust with the system that they kind of take it to another level.
Speaker 3: Safe travels. Thanks for the bibblehead. We appreciate it. Yes, thank you, coach.
Speaker 13: Thanks Dan. Always pleasure to be on.
Speaker 3: That's the Hall of Fame. Coach Bill Kellerson in the bibblehead wanted to make sure I displayed it here on the desk. He's fun. I didn't really know him when he was coaching, but he has, you know, subsequently been on quite a few times. I think enjoys coming on and I just love the stories. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 7: He has like a much better personality then you think he would based on his demeanor as a coach or something.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like Randy Johnson. Yeah, cause Randy Johnson you don't approach, especially on game day, and but then he's got he comes on with us, He's got all these stories. I'm like, who is this guy? Where was this guy? We were talking about the game with the Ravens and the Steelers. I have some prop bets here. Over under is forty three and a half. Steelers are getting nine and a half. It just seems so much in a rivalry game. Lamar Jackson over under two hundred and sixteen and a half passing yards, surprising Russell Wilson Junior the third over under yards, let's go around the room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean corporate.
Speaker 4: It's all God one hundred and thirty three.
Speaker 7: Yards right, seating two hundred and thirty four yards, Marvin one dollar, two hundred and twelve yards, Paul two hundred nineteen yards two o seven and a half.
Speaker 3: How about over under rushing yards. Let's go around the room. Take you to that Todd.
Speaker 2: One hundred and thirteen and a half.
Speaker 3: Did I say I.
Speaker 2: Know what you did there?
Speaker 3: Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's gonna have seventy nine and.
Speaker 7: A half seating eighty yards, Marvin eleven seventy one and a half, forty eight and a half.
Speaker 2: Tobally gonna run for more yards and there.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look like he's gonna have a lot of numbers there. Yeah, doesn't look like he's Thank you, ton h. You can win cash on pick six. Download the DraftKings Pick six app use code Patrick. So man, I'm limping towards the finish line.
Speaker 2: Here, ayrighty fright.
Speaker 3: Weeken we agnu. You can pay five dollars, get fifty and pick six Credit's only on DraftKings Pick six. The crown is yours. Let's take a break. I'm going to Pritzy's gonna have an oyster. We're gonna go out to the grilling area. It's a meat Friday, but we have some oysters. Dug at North Carolina sent him the Carolina Gold Oysters. We'll do the most must win game of the weekend, and we'll write tomorrow's headline today for tonight's game. Back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio apps se FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 14: In the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something right.
Speaker 10: So check us out.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up as they say.
Speaker 12: I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 10: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 12: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 3: What a great week, What a great week, most must win game of the weekend. And we also have to write tomorrow's headline today for tonight's game.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul or MMW, gotw we're thinking about taking Lamar Jackson off the board and the Ravens off the board because it's too obvious your thoughts, Seaton, Well.
Speaker 7: Aren't all of the playoff games must win? Therefore us then too obvious?
Speaker 16: Easy with the logic, Yeah, easy therefore us then well, I don't know, if like there's if I said the Texans don't win a home game, is there going to be fallout from that probably not.
Speaker 3: If the Commanders don't beat the Buccaneers, probably not fall out. If Lamar loses a home playoff game and might be the MVP, there's perception fallout with that. If Mike Tomlin loses a first round game, maybe fall out. Russell will Junior the third fallout from the loss.
Speaker 7: Yes, now that was my must win game last week was Russell Wilson had to beat the Angels.
Speaker 3: He kind of has to.
Speaker 7: Beat the Ravens then, huh so he has to has to be now he really has to must must win.
Speaker 3: Okay, most must win game of the weekend. We've taken Lamar Jackson off the board. Todd, Let's go around the room.
Speaker 4: Oh, since we're going around the room, I'm gonna say that a home game for the possible MVP Josh Allen of the Bills. If they fall to Rookie Bownicks and the Broncos, a team that just barely made it into the playoffs, that would be a disaster.
Speaker 2: If the Bills get bounced at home by Denvi.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think that's a good call, Seaton, Most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe I stick with Russell Wilson, although I don't. If he beats the Ravens, you gotta give him another run there, right, heels like I think, Marvin.
Speaker 14: We're gonna go with the Minnesota Vikings fourteen wins this year and they're playing a neutral sight game, but they're favored. They still have to win. Okay, they do, Okay, Paully m m W go ot w. What you say, Ryan Day and Ohio State tonight? Oh, clean up on Aisle five after the Michigan game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you snuck one in on.
Speaker 8: All goodwill. Now you're expected to win the national title. If I said six weeks ago they would be expected in national No chance there.
Speaker 3: It's a weird position he's in, my mm W go ot w. Just to offer up something different. The Eagles at home against the Packers stunt done.
Speaker 16: So.
Speaker 3: The Chargers favored by three, Steelers getting nine and a half, Broncos getting eight and a half. As who would have thought the Broncos in Buffalo are less of an underdog than the Steelers in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: That's kind of insulting, Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 3: The Commanders are getting three, Packers are getting four and a half. The Vikings are giving two and a half to the Rams. How about we write tomorrow's headline today. I told you this last hour. You're not surprised by this. I'm gonna let you go last. So tomorrow's headline today for tonight's game, todd uh.
Speaker 2: If you'll humor me everyone for both outcomes?
Speaker 3: Yeah sure.
Speaker 4: If Texas wins, all right, all right, all right, mcconnaugh, Hey, nice job Texas, okay. And if Ohio State wins, sark attack yours poor play bites horns?
Speaker 13: Okay?
Speaker 14: Marvin will Smith slaps the long horns, Will Howard Jeremiah Smith.
Speaker 2: Will's oh oh all right? All right?
Speaker 14: Maybe I should have said Will Smith yeah, slaps a long okay, because we'll Mt. Sladdon couldn't okay, keep.
Speaker 2: Texas out your mouth.
Speaker 6: Paul Archie beats Juughhead. Manning takes down Ryan Day.
Speaker 3: Wow arch Manning, and you called Ryan Day jughead?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It fit for the bit, all right?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 13: Right?
Speaker 3: Who was it Archie Juughhead? Veronica?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And who is the other Betty? Betty?
Speaker 6: And Reggie was a bad guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like Veronica.
Speaker 2: How could you not?
Speaker 3: Uh? Seaton?
Speaker 15: Uh longhorns? More like long gone saddle up Texas. Time to ride off into the sudden set Buckeyes heard the long one?
Speaker 7: Okay, Like, how is the headline? Here's the article. Yeah, you said I wasn't prepared. I was why saddle up Texas? Time to ride off into the sunset? After you've been heard it, longhorns have been herded by the buck eyes.
Speaker 2: There's a smaller fund size. It will fit in the back Ron.
Speaker 3: You gave a phony back row laugh.
Speaker 2: I think that I like what it does.
Speaker 3: That was phony and you know that.
Speaker 2: It'll fit small font size fit.
Speaker 3: Dave and san Antonio. Hi, Dave, what do you have for me?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 13: What's up? Guys?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 17: Happy Friday? Wanted to call in. It's been a long time wondering if Dan and and Marvin you guys are ready for the pie in the face because the Cavs are going to the finals. Also have a quick question, Dan, I know that I haven't had that many years in the game. As far as some of the other callers, what is the criteria to get most valuable caller? Is there also? Uh, maybe rookie caller of the year, you know coller.
Speaker 3: And be a newcomer of the year. Yeah, newcomer of the year. But thank you Dave, thank you yes time.
Speaker 2: What do you got to do is understand the clock, and we're wrapping it in so long winded like that, you're never gonna get pick.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 8: This day in sports history Todd, lecturing people on being long winded. This dance sports history. The Chicago Cubs in nineteen sixty three hired an athletic director to work out and use weights, first baseball team ever to do so.
Speaker 6: And that's it not so good.
Speaker 3: Nineteen eighty two The Catch Joe Montana Dwight Clark. Also nineteen eighty two, the Freezer Bowl. I was there, Bengals Chargers. It was a wind show factor of fifty nine degrees, almost as cold as the shoulder. I give Fritzy when this show is over. Facts Todd, what did you learn? Let's go around the room?
Speaker 2: Okay, now we can all we could each. Bill Cower says.
Speaker 4: The rivalry between his Steels and the Ravens probably ramped up in the early two thousands when Ray Lewis started doing.
Speaker 3: That dance Seaton nineteen is the new eleven eleven? Marvin?
Speaker 2: Why are you asking me?
Speaker 6: Paul Id just had his first oyster.
Speaker 3: Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP show national LTE coverage, no subscriptions. Rapid rate dot Com for sixty percent off free shipping. Have a great weekend, everybody. We'll talk to you on Monday eleven,