Speaker 1: Okay, we don't know when this is gonna air, but I'm just going to talk about New York in this moment because something has happened in the city of New York that has been life changing, game changing everything. All Right, So if you're a Knicks fan or if you're not a Knicks fan, it doesn't really matter, because everywhere in the city there's been this crazy electricity, this crazy connectivity. You see a Wall Street guy in a Patagonia vest high fiving a guy who's working on a truck, like, everybody is together in this moment. And I realized one of the feelings I love most of all in the entire world is when a group gets together and feels a collective sense of awe, a collective sense of wonder, a collective sense of oh my gosh, I can't believe we did this. So whether you're in the West Village or in the Bronx, or whether you were up in Westchester County or it didn't matter in Harlem, it didn't matter where you were, we all felt the same feeling. And I realized that's what is missing in life. People didn't watch the game in their homes. They ran down on the street to watch the game on a projector on the side of a building because they wanted to be in community. So I want to capture that again. I want to keep that flow going, keep that thing going. Part of the thing that we do at Joey one h one my company, is we want to bring people together. We want people to look each other in the eye and hold hands and have a feeling. And the other thing that struck me about what is going on in New York is think about this. New York is a one mile island, and on that island are people from every country, every religion. They speak all the languages, and somehow we're all squeezed in on this island. And I always thought, if New York City can work, then the world can work. If everybody can live on top of each other and work, then the world should be able to work. It's just another beautiful thing about New York City, a place that I love, a place that has come alive, a place that feels kind of reborn. It's a beautiful time to be alive in New York City. Which brings me to my next guest. Because when I think about collective AWE, I think of music. I think of think about your favorite concert. Think about how you felt when you're in the audience and you're sweating because it's outdoor and everyone is swaying together, and sometimes you feel like the singer makes eye contact with you. There's nothing better than that feeling. It's like, oh my god, she saw me, he saw me. One of the greatest singers on earth is a Grammy winner multiple times over. Her name is Pat Bennett. She and her husband Neil created magic for all of us for so many years. Pat is one of those people that if you've ever seen her in concert or even heard her song on anywhere, Spotify, the radio, it doesn't matter. You just feel uplifted. She defines collective awe. She and her husband combined have done things that no other musical artists have ever done. Well. Now Pat and her husband are not only parents, their grandparents, and they are living this beautiful life and they are continuing to sing. So I would like you to welcome to my podcast, Pat Benattar and her husband Neil. I'm so excited to talk with you. I mean, I was just talking at the top of this about like what it's like to be in like collective awe and we're talking about how the Knicks won the title and how was that crazy? I mean, and I saw so many parallels. I was so happy we were interviewing you today because when I saw the crowds on the street and everybody and everybody feeling the vibe, I mean to I was imagining your life what it must feel like to not like that, but it's that feeling. It's like, like I get that feeling from this morning event concerts when it's like a collective wow. So when you guys, when you guys are on stage and you see what you've been able to witness, only a few people get that perspective describe what it's like to be on stage in a moment like that.
Speaker 2: Pat, It's just I mean, it's great because we're together. That's great. And it's this is our forty seventh anniversary this year.
Speaker 1: Wait, you said forty seven.
Speaker 2: Forty seventh musical anniversary. So we've been performing together since we were basically children, and you know, and yeah, so it's great. I mean, he's great. He's like crank, you know, he's having the best time. He loves to be out there being nuts.
Speaker 3: You know, listen, it's it's chemical you know, it's you get in doorphins they start coming out and you look at the crowd and just playing music and trying to be inside a song and seeing how the people react and smile. They all smile together at the same time, they all put their eyebrows down at the same time. It's like a yeah, it's an event. It's like a basketball game with more three three pointers.
Speaker 2: And it's you know, for us, it's history. We've been together for so long and all those things are you know, going through your head really quickly as you're performing now, all the times that you've been there together, and it's it's just an amazing, great feeling.
Speaker 1: And Pat, I loved hearing. I mean, I love hearing about your life, but I love the fact that the time that you knew that you could sing, you were I think you described it being in fourth grade and you were finally in chorus and you belted something out and what did what happened in that moment that made you realize, Wow, I might have something special here with these pipes.
Speaker 2: Because they made me go to the principal's office and I thought I was in trouble, So I was like something something's happening here. My parents had a They call my parents and they came in after work and I was just sitting on the seat outside the principal's office. I just terrified that I did something really bad, and you know, and yeah, so it was it was just a moment. I mean we all have that, you know, it's all everybody gets, that moment when you kind of know that this might be something happening here.
Speaker 1: So they they knew that you could sing. Did you just love singing or was it just something you were good at at that time?
Speaker 2: I just sang all the time and too much to everyone, sugar and and saying with Spider. Spider was an Italian family Sicilian family play? And what time when do you start?
Speaker 3: Six?
Speaker 2: Guitar? Six six xtus Because his father wanted Neil and his sister to play Italian songs after church. So you know, you just do this from little and it's all you know, and it's all you want to do, and you just think it's so normal. None of it's weird. You know, she's part of like breathing.
Speaker 1: So that's so funny. So Neil, so six years old, you get handed a guitar and what happens. Did you just start playing it? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well not at first. I mean it was difficult at six years old trying to play against steal and wood. You know, your fingers aren't ready for that or anything. But yeah, my father, my parents wanted me to do these Italian songs, which are phenomenal. It was a lot of fun doing. My sister played accordion, and it was just something that felt like Patricia. When she started singing, it felt so right to her right. And since I wasn't very good at school, in school and at the first grade when I was five years old, which was a total mistake disaster, and when the guitar was in my hands, it felt perfectly normal. I mean I felt it really solved all the neurosis and problems I had emotionally at that time. It just went, hey, here you are.
Speaker 2: You know, I got It kind of finds you, you know, it does. It finds you. You're just walking around in the universe and music and art find you.
Speaker 1: They do well. You know, when I was reading pat about your life and how you had this boyfriend when you were just a kid, and you went and got married and decided that music wasn't going to be your thing, even though you got into Juilliard.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't get in.
Speaker 1: I didn't go.
Speaker 2: I didn't even audition because I didn't do it because I decided to get married at nineteen like an idiot.
Speaker 1: But so, so tell me about that decision. Why did you decide to do that?
Speaker 2: Decided did not go to Juilliard?
Speaker 1: No, decide to get married at that at that age? Why was that?
Speaker 2: Because we were young? We were in high school sweethearts and he was going to get drafted, and I thought he was going to die in Vietnam, but he didn't and I got married. But I needed a better last name. My last name was Polish and really long. And then I had a practice being married so that when I met that guy that I would know how to behave.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, how cute are you two? Where are you? How come you're not in the same house or are you upstairs and downstairs?
Speaker 2: We're in our separate offices.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, you're in the same house.
Speaker 2: We always do it like because I like my better lighting and I don't like his lighting.
Speaker 1: We just know, you know, most people who've been married for this long work together, live together, do interviews together. Do everything together. Get I don't know how can can can keep this up? Most most married couples can't put together a piece of Ikea furniture before they're like, get away from me, I need my space.
Speaker 2: What's the mad days to? Mostly poor him? You know, I'm pretty bossy, but he's real nice, and I don't know, we just like each other. We still really like each other, I.
Speaker 1: Think by the way you can tell, by the way you can feel it. Okay, So, so pat, after you've had this, this marriage and this and this bank teller business, you decided to go down the music road, just tell me that story.
Speaker 2: You know. We were stationed at Fort Lee. So I was I just I was working in a bank and going to school part time for singing. But you know, I had no intentions of really doing anything professionally. I'd just given it up by that point. And I don't know, I just got I just got sick of me and having a regular life. And I just looked in the paper and they had kind of like their their version of the Village Voice, and it had like, you know, ads about like singer wanted, you know, all this kind stuff. So there was an ad for some band that was looking for a singer, and I just I said okay, fine, and I went and I did it, and that was it. And I just, you know, I did that for a few years, and then I moved back to New York in seventy five, which was maybe the last time the Nicks had got glad when I got full circle.
Speaker 3: Full circle, probably so.
Speaker 1: But breaking in a New York ain't easy. It's not easy for anyone, and it wasn't easy for women in rock and roll during that time. So how did you crack that nut?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, it was just I was hell bent on doing it, and I just, I mean, I had no idea what the plan with Spider was. You know, we call him Spider, so that's me. But Spider was Spider was already playing with Rick Darringer when I.
Speaker 3: Met about you talk about you, Patricia.
Speaker 2: But wait, I want to get the time frame, so we when he and I met, I was I had already signed a record deal. I mean, I worked for a long time. I worked from seventy five to seventy eight, and I worked with the songwriters. As soon as I started working with songwriters, I wasn't writing songs yet, but I started my voice, my own voice started to emerge, because before that I was singing songs that were by other people, and you know, you always have that tendency to kind of emulate a little bit. So the minute I started working on original songs with others, my voice started to emerge. But it wasn't really there yet, but the idea was there, and I had the idea. And then when he and I met, it was great because he was ahead of me because he had been playing with Dereger. They were playing stadiums. I was just beginning, and the two of us together, it was just a perfect match, you know. And you know we basically we basically put that band together and learned everything, you know, just the two of us, and that's how it started.
Speaker 1: So so Neil, I mean, you know, when when you think of a lot of these duos, there are usually two dudes. When you walked in and saw pat and thought to yourself, am I going to be teamed up with her? What were your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Well, I make a joke out of this, and Patrician knows it already. Is that when I received the call because I just finished making this record with Rick Drenger. So I got this call to meet this singer that wanted to put a band together, and then I didn't. I says, maybe I've heard of him before, and the person said, well, it's not a him, it's her. And the first thing I said was she is she good looking? And I'm just kidding around. I'm just being likety.
Speaker 2: You're only twenty three. What were you going to say?
Speaker 3: I'm just moofi like that, honestly, though, honestly, you know, it was a dream come true on so many levels, right artistically. First level is that all I wanted was to work with a great singer, and Patricia just excelled at that. I even told them when we met, I says, I hope you don't blame me, and I'm the guy, not the guy responsible for destroying your voice, because there is what we're gonna do here is gonna be a whole lot different than what you've been doing. So, you know, I grew up in a household where you always respect women. It was very important my sister. They used to make fun of my sister and when I'd go to school at the bus station, I would go there like four years, three years younger than her. I'd go if somebody had gotten like made fun of her, I'd stand up for her. I'd fight him. I didn't care how big they were. So it was really important that the respect for women. So I really didn't honestly, god, I didn't care. All I wanted was a great singer. Patricia was like absolutely perfect and she still is. Look at her, She's perfect.
Speaker 1: My god.
Speaker 2: I mean, but it was it was kismet. I mean when we met each other, we I mean it was instantaneous. We knew on so many levels. I mean musically it was, you know, I mean just insane. He just played one court and I knew. I mean, I had been you know, I've been working, like I said, for three years. And everybody was patting me on the head. I was saying, you know, I want to do this. I want to be like you know, Robert Plant. And they were saying, well, why don't you, why don't you be like live good darling friend of ours, and she's having great success, and I'm like, no, no, no, that's not what I mean. I want to I want to be like Keith and Mick and Robert Plant and Jimmy Page. I wanted to like that partnership. And they were all patting me on the head, going yes, but nobody really got it. And then but my chapman got it. He knew and he had known, he knew Spider because he had done the record with Rick Nsure and and he said to me in one of the meetings we had when I was, you know, ripping my hair out about what I was trying to do, and he said, I got your guy. That's what he said. And he called the record company called him, and then he came, you know, to the down to New York. Were you in Bearsville? Where were you? I was in Woodstock, Woodstock, and he came down. He came down to New York to meet We were just going to meet each other to see if we got on. And well the rest is history.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's so put you said, Patty on the head, you know, someone said that. And look in my career over many years, there have been many many of those where people like, yes, we I'll get right back. No, he's going to do that, You're going to do this. Just that feeling and you're a fighter avi from the beginning. Uh, pat But how did you like hold on to what you wanted to do when I'm sure everybody said, oh, you know, Linda Romstad, go down this aisle, go down this road, go down that road. How did you fight that? While it How did you fight it?
Speaker 2: It wasn't I mean, it wasn't hard to do because I was so convicted and committed. I mean, I just I had an idea and I was absolutely positive it could work. It was difficult in the fact that every single day somebody was trying to stop you from doing that or like, you know, just like I said, they were just you know, condescending and you know, misogynistic, and everybody was just like, yeah, okay, whatever, you know that kind of thing. And so that part was a pain in the butt. Yeah, that was just annoying as hell. But you know, when we got together and we just, you know, we were formidable together, you know, we because I mean, you know, the way he played and everything, and the balance of how I was singing, how he was approaching the song and how he was playing, it was undeniable that we had something happening, you know. So I think that it was really I think we would have done well on our own, each of us, but together it was something entirely different, you know.
Speaker 1: Neil, did you see any of the second of stuff toward pat Did you witness it?
Speaker 3: I mean, it wasn't. I was used to it because of my sister, you know, people making fun of her just being you know, looking at her as is whatever, looking down. I didn't like that I said something, I did things. I mean, I wasn't happy about it, and I just tried the channel and keep ourselves so tight, Patricia and I and the band keep it so tight together that anything, you would't let anything, and you don't infiltrate that.
Speaker 2: He knew, he knew I was going to go in there with guns blazing. He knew that, he knew me. He knew what was going to happen when they did it. I mean, I would going to the radio station. You've probably heard the story. I would going to the radio station. You know that we'd only have one token female on the playlist for the day or the week, whatever you just won, you know, And I would go in there. And before I would go in, our record the record company rep or the manager would say to me, don't don't give him the finger, and I go okay. I would come out and I would be smiling because the the uh well, I guess I can't swear, but the a hole of music directors said, why don't you just sit down right here and we'll see we can get that record played. And so of course I was like, yeah, right, you know, like that's it. So I came out and they would go, you didn't didn't your idea? Yes? I did so. I mean, Spider knew I was not going to take any crap from anybody.
Speaker 1: So what was the moment when people took you seriously? I know that your music was great, you had I mean everyone knows you, Pat, because when in fact, I was at the gym this morning, Oh I'm interviewing Pat Benatar, and guys who were in their thirties and guys who were in their sixties were all like Pat Benaitar like something. There was a moment where everything crystallized for everybody. How it affected all these generations.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it was we were chasing it. Don't you think, Spy that we were chasing it? I mean we were. It was. It happened really quickly that when Heartbreaker was released, you know, we knew we had it. I think that that when we recorded the song, the minute we were the minute we had that were rehearsing it, and then when we did the first take, we knew we had it. And I just think that we were chasing it. After that, we were running behind it. It had a life of its own. It took off and you know, it went from clubs sold out and people out in the street to you know, the next thing was arenas and the next thing, you know, it just kept going. So we were chasing it. I mean, it happened really quickly, and you know that that pretty much convinced everyone you have.
Speaker 3: To go behind a curtain which you which you don't know a lot of people don't know, is that when we started working together, we worked really hard, Patricia and I and I would tell her all the time about you know, because what I do is I don't look as I don't think of myself as a guitar player. I think of myself as we usician and a songwriter, producer, and I only use it as a tool. I started playing piano when I was eleven. I started playing drums when I was thirteen. So when we met, I basically was telling Patricia, don't you want to write your own song? Let's write our own stuff. And let's build this thing out. And she listened, and she and that's the whole beauty of this. She was such a great early on. You got to understand a great student in that because what she was doing prior was a lot different than when we got together, when we joined rite ourselves together. And I had total respect for her at all times. And when I heard her sing, I knew that we can do anything. We could do absolutely anything we wanted, which was perfect for me because I want to explore all these genres. So when it started happening, people took it for serious, because you know what, we were damn serious, and people they were going to mess with us. And that's the way it is. You know, people say stupid stuff, and they did and at radio stations and things like that. But that that stopped, stopped right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, success works, Pat would you have Do you think you would have made it without Neil?
Speaker 2: It would have been different, for sure. I mean because we started that first record. We started in the heat of the night, and we had recorded six songs that that that did go on the record that you all know. But what what happened, I mean we recorded it with some of the top musicians in New York studio session people and great, great players, I mean amazing, and I just remember standing there just like thinking to myself, Oh God, this is not it. This isn't it. And I remember that Terry Ellis, who was the president of the record company, when we had done the six songs, and I knew, I knew it was wrong. I knew it. And he said to me, you know, it's the first I don't want you to expect too much. And I said, what, I expect everything.
Speaker 3: He already knew though, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he knew too, and we scrapped it and that's when my chapman called him. We recorded them again, the one with the ones that we kept, and it was a whole other thing, and that was it. And once we once we played together, that was it was exactly what I'd been hearing in my head. So I knew we had it. He knew we had it. I mean, we were just I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a thing that was, you know, and at the peak of all of this stuff, you find out at one point path that you're pregnant. And I found it so interesting that the record label was like cool, glad you're pregnant anyway, No, that's not cool. They were like the opposite of this is what you're doing anyway? Tell me about what that was like.
Speaker 2: It was ignorant, It was ridiculous. I mean, we had been you know, we've been together, We were together since nineteen seventy nine, and we have been trying to you know, we got married, which they hated, you know, I mean they tried to they at the minute they realized that this was going to this was going to be an unholy alliance. They loved it until they realized that we were so tight that this was going to be a problem from now on. And they tried to destroy our relationship right from the beginning. I mean they what do you mean, because they didn't want They thought that if they could, if he was not there, they would be able to control me better, which was a mistake, I mean, because that wasn't going to be true anyway. But the fact is they were so dumb. I mean, they were so happy that we had done all this great work, but then they realized that they had no more control when we got married. They were furious that we got married, but you know, what were they going to do? But They were really furious when I got pregnant. That is insane, but they were so ignorant and they I remember the manager calling me up and saying, why would you do something like this?
Speaker 3: And I was like, what.
Speaker 2: Are you guys? You got to remember the time of the world. Yeah, I mean the only other person I knew that was doing what we were doing was Chrissy Hein And I saw her backstage when she had Natalie, and you know, it was it was me and her and she I said, you know, how are you doing this? She goes, I'm not. I mean it was just there was no handbook for this, you know, one of usually one of you stayed home with the baby, you know whatever, and now both of us were there. We never tore once we had Hailey, our first child off her daughter. We never toured without our kids. We toured with our kids only.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So it was nuts, But I mean you had it just we were winging it and we had no idea what we're doing.
Speaker 3: We had fun, though, Yeah, you know, the manager being mad. I you know, you could see that side of where they were at. Because think about two things, money and control, which was more important. So what they decided, what they decided was the decided was control was more important. But then when they realized that, wait a minute, if we get control, we don't get creative, because if I can't do what I do best by trying to make those songs that we write whatever and make them hits, they looked and went after So after we after we got married and everything, it's it changed and things definitely changed when they realized we still can make a lot of money from them. You know, it just control and money.
Speaker 2: And they were never going to win. We were relentless and that was it. I mean they just you know, it was a fight. They were never going to win, so but they tried.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 1: Just the spirit girl is so intoxicating, like you're you know what, it's so clear to you. You're like, no, I was not quitting period, full stop. Were there ever any moments where the sexism, the manager, anything got to you to a point where you were saying, pat, you know what, like this is too much?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 2: Never, because it made me so I mean I was so feisy anyway, and I just got crazier and it just made me crazier. I mean I was don't forget I sang classical music and musical theater for most of my life before this, and I was a nice girl from Lindenhurst, Long Island. We sang and had a great time in love theater and all that. And then you know, I wanted because inside was always this, you know. And so once I, once I drug it out one spider drug it out, I knew that was it for me. I was so happy to be there and I was like, bring it on.
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 2: What else you got?
Speaker 1: What else you got? So what's what was harder? Motherhood or being a music star? Oh?
Speaker 2: God? Motherhood?
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: Motherhood's like the peace cort. Do you remember the old slogan the hardest job you'll ever love?
Speaker 3: This is it?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not for the thing hearted. We've got two monster daughters who are are just you know, they're coming from here, you know what I'm saying. And they were just raised right they're crazy, and you know, it was it's nuts. And he's the greatest. He's so good. He's such a great girl.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 2: He's like amazing. He did great. It was like a nightmare. I mean, how did you do it? Fabulous? They're fabulous. I mean they're such great women. They're just great. I mean they're so centered and solid and just you know, just feisty. It's sweet, and I mean I couldn't asked for better.
Speaker 1: How did you guys do it? I mean, how did your parent on the road? How did you do it with this wild lifestyle? How did it work?
Speaker 2: I wish I could say a lot of alcohol, but no, no, I don't know. It was we were together. I mean, listen, we could not have done this, I swear. I mean, like I said, most people. One of you was staying home, you know what I mean. One of you was in the band.
Speaker 1: The other one was not.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: We were in the band.
Speaker 2: I mean it was insane. We had the best one of the best things that ever happened. I mean we were dragging, you know. We had road cases that were built for their toy boxes so we could bring their favorite toys. I was I have OCD so arm like a lunatic, so I wasn't putting them in cribs in the four seasons I was getting, you know, I was having road cases built for my cribs that I was bringing, you know, So we were dragging all this crap with us all the time. And it was insane, but you know, they learned how to Haley learned how to walk. In Minneapolis, Hanna was roller skating in the forum, you know, out inside the I mean they were riding their bikes inside you know, Madison Square Garden. They were riding their bikes, you know, doing all kinds of crazy stuff like that. And so they had a great time. They learned how to swim. We were in swimming pools everywhere across America. You know, they were having the best time ever. And they loved their bunks. They would get in the bus and they would decorate their bunks.
Speaker 1: Okay, how did they go to school? How did all that work?
Speaker 2: We only we only toured in the summer once we had children and they were old enough to be in school. We only toured in the summer because I wasn't we did.
Speaker 3: We did do it for one short period of time, and that was a disaster. Yeah, disasters when they were little. Yeah, well, when our oldest was little, the first one. So we realized that that's not going to work.
Speaker 2: So we went in the summer. But the bet one of the best days I ever had because knowing and you know, you were just kind of on your own, and you know, there's not a lot of you're not even though you have a lot of I mean, you know people, you know people in the music business, but you're really not really hanging out that much because you're working. So were they. One day we pull up to a hotel and I see this this bus and I see these people unloading baby walkers and all kinds of stuff, and I'm thinking, who is that because I you know, our kids were bigger now, and I was thinking, Oh God, I'm so glad that's not us anymore. It was Bruce.
Speaker 1: Were dragged all these.
Speaker 2: Like high five and we're done.
Speaker 3: All right, good time with that. We were laughing, Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did Haley and how to think of mom and dad? Like when you were on stage, do you have any memories of them watching or when they were little.
Speaker 2: They loved it because they could play and they could go everywhere and do stuff. But you know, the minute they like turn like twelve thirteen, when they start being embarrassed that you were like breathing. You know, this was worse. This was the worst. I mean, this was like just until Hailey was really the worst. Hana was a little bit easier because she was the baby and it was later but Hailey, Hailey hated it until she found out we could get her into sea and sink backstage.
Speaker 1: By the way, that's so brilliant.
Speaker 3: And I did.
Speaker 2: I did end sync, yeah, and you know that I had to do handsome please.
Speaker 3: I know the great The great n sync story is I took him to see and sink, our oldest And when I got there, a lot of the crew people knew me from being an under road Hey, how you doing nice to see everything, a sound man, all the technical So next thing happens is she's got great seats in the front. She looks over she can see me on the side of the stage, and she's going, well, they just put me on the side of the stage. She was so mad. I love it.
Speaker 1: By the way, every time you say Haley, my heart skips because I happen to have a nine year old named Hailey. Oh no, I adopted my two kids. I have a seven year old named Hope and a nine year old named Hailey. And every time you say Haley, like, I get the warm fuzzies. Why did you pick that name? By the way, was it just just because that.
Speaker 3: Was Patricia picked that I picked her middle name. I don't even call her Hailey. I call her Gina.
Speaker 2: Her middle name is Gina. We call her Gina. But but people will say, oh, you have three daughters, Haley Gina and Haley is Gina. That's like crazy. But no, I was, I don't know, you know, it wasn't Hayley Mills, who I love, But it wasn't that. I just I don't know. It just came and I picked it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, the same same I had the same thing. So I read your very cute book about being grandparents. So I thought that was the first of all the cutest concept in the world. You've got three grandkids, is that right?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 1: I mean, so they what do they think that all grandparents were rock stars? Is that kind of what they thought?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Our oldest, our oldest Stevie, who's now eight, when we started the you know, it takes a long time to get the book published and all this up, but she was four when we started. And when we were just talking one day and she was asking, you know, does Evelyn, our's grand grandma go on stage? And I said no, I don't think so, you know, and she said, what about her papa? Does he play guitar and I'm like, you like and so then we realized that she that their scope of they thought everybody's grandparents did what we did. So we started having the conversation that oh, no, no, no, people do different things and they don't look like us. You know, Papa's got tattoos everywhere and people don't have that all the time, and you know, all these kinds of things. So that's how the book was. The concept for the book was born, but that was because of the conversation with her. She does She's like, that's steviee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Stevie.
Speaker 2: It was really fun to do.
Speaker 1: What is the best part of being grandparents? What do you love about that?
Speaker 3: Well, what's not the love.
Speaker 2: Everything? I mean, you have kids, so your kids a little and you see how fast it goes Okay, yeah, it's over in a blink. It's it's just I mean, it's it's a terrible cruel joke. You know that you have them little for soul, little time, yes, and then what happens is and you love your kids and everything you do and everything, and then when you have grandchildren. No, this is illness. This is this borders on illness. Okay, you are so mad for them, crazy because everyone you're getting a second chance, okay, and you can't believe you have little babies and little children in your life again. And it's not somebody else's kids. They're yours, you know what I mean. It's not somebody's kid in the park. And you're like, oh, I'm holding a bit. No, they're your baby. This is your baby.
Speaker 3: Here's a different here's a difference too. Though. The difference is really important to know, is that. And it's simple and it's obvious that you know, when you're a parent, you're around your children all the time, day and night. Right, the grandparents aren't there. So when you do come, which were there a lot, we're there a lot there. And my my favorite one, when we finally got the boy, the grandson, so cash, I call him Cashish. So when we when we get to the house and I opened the door and he goes bob by go Cashi, and Patricia's in front of me with this big hug and since he's the boy, I could give him like that real kind of strong you know.
Speaker 1: It's so fantastic, by the way, that is so awesome. That is awesome, pat I'm just thinking about how many people. You know, I was reading the story about you when you were young and you went to a stadium and saw lies and Ellie saying and it kind of lit you up. You were like, man, I could do that. Is that kind of how that went down?
Speaker 2: Yes? I mean I was with my with my fabulous gay friends, of course, and they said you want to go, and I said, sure, let's go.
Speaker 1: So we went.
Speaker 2: And the thing that happened, I you know, I love her, She's great. That was, But that wasn't it. The thing that happened is we were inside the Colisseum, and the Colosseum was empty, and I was in all those seats, and I was looking around thinking to myself, huh, I can sing at least as good as her, you know what I mean, Like, wait a minute, wait a minute, I can do this. So that's what it was. I mean, it wasn't that we It would have it could have been anybody. I mean, I'm happy it was arcas She's at all, But I mean it was it had nothing to do with that music. It wasn't about musically. It was about that I could see. I had the presence of mine to think like wait, a minute, I can I can do this, I could, you know, and you could do it. And that just started the whole thing. And I had no plan, no plan. I just you know, had a lot of you know, just hood spot. And I don't know how many people have.
Speaker 1: Come up to you. I can only imagine and said, oh my gosh, Pat, because of you, I did this, or because of you, I did that.
Speaker 2: Women all the time, yeah, when spiders dies, because they're always like I call my girls my girls all the time.
Speaker 3: Everywhere we go.
Speaker 2: He goes crazy and goes here the oh god, you know, like so cute. I mean they're just darling and yeah, I mean it's really it's amazing and I and I would I would love to take credit, but it was you know, it was a whole movement. It was the time of the world. I mean, it was where America was going. Everybody was in the same mindset, so just right a place at the right time, and there were lots of us going at the same time. So it was great. It's great to be part of it.
Speaker 1: This this this podcast is called joy one oh one. It's something about I mean to me, like, there's a lot of things that can bring happiness, and those are all external you know, you can and they come and go. It's like that I'm happy and now I'm back to me. And joy to me is something when you sort of just like open your eyes in the morning and you look around and nothing's happened, but you feel full.
Speaker 2: You feel like it's gratitude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell me what it means to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean right, you thinks by gratitude, I mean just absolutely be grateful. I mean, you know, for me, it's always like my whole thing is like if you get to wake up the next day and breathe, that's good. Let's start with that. You know what I'm saying. Every day I'm seventy three years old and like every day is a good day.
Speaker 1: You know that kind of thing. So yeah, yeah, second chances, it's important, second chances.
Speaker 3: The second chance? Is this the second chance? What I mean by this is that a lot of people live inside their head most of the time. They're not living in the present, in the moment, and a lot of things spin in their head, goes over and over again. So if you could erase those, that's the way you can have joy every day and movie every day and be humble and grateful. Those are the things that are important as far as you take your breath. When you wake up like that, it's it should feel special and real to you. But a lot of people struggle, you know, because they keep that internal loop going and it's not a good one. Sometimes it's it's a lot of spirituality you kind of need to address. And that's that's the that's where your joy comes. True spirituality. You could work on yourself and try to be true.
Speaker 2: You know, stuff happens. I mean, it's not like we had perfect lives. We had we had lots of stuff, you know, lots of career wise, lots of of personal family, all this kind of stuff, and things happen. It's not going to be perfect. It isn't. But you know, if you can just get through it, if you can get through and get on the other side, you get another chance.
Speaker 1: Are you optimistic? Pat by nature?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I'm so full all the time.
Speaker 1: So tell me, give me a give me how you start your day and how you end your day.
Speaker 2: Wild Spider gets up three hours ahead.
Speaker 3: She's asking you the question you you talk to you.
Speaker 2: I know, but I'm I have to always make the timeline like I don't sleep. I don't sleep at night. I'm a lunatic. So I go to bed really late, so I get up at like seven or seven thirty. He gets up really early, so he gets his day going. And you know, I stay up all night because that's when I do my think, in my writing, my all. That's we're in opposite schedules. But you know, it's just you know, you just wake up and you just start your day, and it's always it's always chaos, it's nuts, it's crazy, but it's good.
Speaker 1: Neil, do you have a rhythm, What do you do? What's your morning routine?
Speaker 3: I do. I wake up because I want to be awake. That's the real difficult time me because everybody's sleeping, and it gives me. Here's the philosophy behind it. If if you wake up and it's dark, and you go to sleep when it's dark, you get two nights in every day. So if you think about that, right, So what my routine is very simple is I wake up because I want to be awake, and I start writing right away. I start writing. I drink green tea first day in the morning. I since I found out I had silent reflux because I'm drinking too much caffeine. I used to drink like fifteen twenty company. Yeah, yeah, a lot of green tea, and I drank too much of it. So I don't do that anymore. But that's the routine. I do that, and then a couple hours later, I wake Patricia up, and by then I'm ready to go to the gym. I hit the gym, and I eat three breakfasts, and I'm ready to.
Speaker 1: Eat the three breakfasts.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 2: He's Sicilian, he's starving.
Speaker 1: All eat Yeah. And lastly, tell me about the joy and relationship. I mean, you guys put it on display. I mean quite frankly, I want anyone who's looking at this knows, But what is it about? Because because you have to have that in between, it's not what you are Pat and what you are Neil, It's what I'm seeing between you two. So how do you preserve that over all those years? Let me start with Pat?
Speaker 3: What did you just learn, Patricia from your the psychic friend? What did you find out that would be helpful?
Speaker 2: You can that we are we are contracted together.
Speaker 3: Who's the what? Who's the protector?
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 2: Ahead so as fierce and crazy as I am the one thing I I that we just had. We had a good friend who issch So we just do it. It's like your greeting was really fun. And she just said that because I don't, because I'm so worried about taking care of everybody else, that the person I take care of the leases myself. And that's pretty much true. So she said that he is the one, that he is the sole person whose job is to protect me. So because I don't, I don't spend any time protecting myself. I'm protecting everybody else. So it's just a perfect match. And it's not hode I sort of God, it's so easy. It's not hard at all, and I you know, and I'm we are so grateful for that. I mean, it's so it just rolls, you know. It's not like I'd love to take credit, he'd love to take credit. Where it's not like we have to have some kind of insight or some brilliance about how to do this.
Speaker 1: We just do it.
Speaker 3: And I can add to this, I can add to this, and that is I used to believe that one person had to be passive the other one assertive, but that was wrong. I realized that was wrong. It took me a long time to realize because I'm seventy years old and I figured it out years ago. Right, So yeah, you know, so so passive and assertive. And in the family life, I'm very passive. That doesn't mean I'm not assertive in taking, but just passive.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't go ahead have a great life. I don't interfere. I don't want to. I just want to be that guy and I want to be I want to have a good time past. But as soon as you open that studio door, assertive happens. And She'll tell you. I guarantee when you walk through my door and you come in, this is my world, this is my this is where I live, and I'm on the cross everybody. I put myself there too. So very assertive. But I've learned that you you need to have balance, except in the studio. I'm keeping that at the other part. The other part you have to be. You have to little, you have to have a balance to it.
Speaker 2: But again, we have fun, you know, I always still like each other.
Speaker 3: It comes down to confrontation, you know. I I don't want to raise my voice. I'll direct the issue. I will talk about it. But I'm not a I'm not an instigator. I don't want confrontation. I just don't want it.
Speaker 1: I don't have time for When did you said, Pat, you're the one. Pat's mouth things, she's the one. Uh huh.
Speaker 3: He's insane.
Speaker 1: This was a delightful conversation. I want to say thank you. I love you guys. You guys are going on tour, so you're gonna be We're going to post where that is and all of those details. So thank you again, so much. Man, I imagine so much about you.
Speaker 2: It's so fabulous.
Speaker 1: I like, thank you. Neil, have a good one. Guys, you too, thank you. Wow, that was an awesome conversation with Pat Benattar and her husband Neil. You know, it's so funny. You know, I know her as a singer, I knew him as her husband and fellow musician, but I so much more about them. I think what was their relationship is kind of what cracked open to me, and how after she's seventy three and he's seventy and they've been together for decades, just how they keep it alive and how they keep it fresh and how they keep it interesting. I mean, and I like how they find joy. They are just I mean, you know when you look at someone and you're like, I want what they're having, Like, that's sort of what I feel like when I'm listening to them speak. Both of them. I always admired Pat Benatara. Now I admire her husband equally. So, Wow, what an awesome conversation. I hope there was a lot you took away. There's a ton I took away from them, and just how they find joy, how they find joy in the every day, which is amazing. Okay, you know I like to end with a poem, and I love me some Mary Oliver, so I'm going to do a little Mary Oliver. This one is called don't hesitate. If you suddenly and unexpectedly feel joy, don't hesitate, give in to it. There are plenty of lives and whole towns destroyed or about to be. We are not wise and not very often kind, and much can never be redeemed. Still life has some possibility left. Perhaps this is its way of fighting back. That sometimes something happens better than all the riches or power in the world. It could be anything, but very likely you notice it the instant when love begins. Anyway, that's often the case. Anyway, whatever it is, don't be afraid of its plenty. Joy is not made to be a crumb. That is a poem by Mary Oliver. I want to thank you guys for listening to this podcast. We'll have many more good ones ahead.