Speaker 1: If there's one shared truth in the world of soccer and sports as a whole, really is that there's nothing quite as invigorating as playing a game on your home turf. This is your field, your town, your city. Most of the people in the stadium are there for you, and all that heckling and booing that's all directed towards your rivals. I feel like maybe the closest thing to that would be performing as a rock star in front of tens of thousands of adoring fans, belting out your greatest hits. Everyone is there just because they love you. It must feel freaking amazing, And teams research has shown do seem to win more when they're playing a home game. Maybe it's the good vibes or the more forgiving calls by the rests. The cause is are still hotly debated. Still, there don't seem to be many downsides. That is, unless you're the US men's team playing soccer against Mexico, Because even if you're playing in your own country, pretty much everything I just described doesn't really apply here because that stadium where the US men's team is playing Mexico is most likely going to be a sea of green jerseys. Not red, white, and blue. The loudest national anthem will probably be in Spanish. It will look, sound and feel like you're playing an away game. This is one of the many hallmarks in an international rivalry that spans decades between two countries that share much more than a border. From Futuro Studios, I'm Fernande Chavarri. This is American Football show about soccer culture in the US and it's under dog roots. We're going to delve into the history of the rivalry between the US and Mexico, including an infamous World Cup that traumatized generations of Mexicans and that solidified the US as a worthy rival. And we're going to look at why the Mexican team and the Mexican League are so popular on this side of the border. It turns out, for Mexican Americans, this is about so much more than just soccer. It's about culture, it's about belonging, it's about identity. So for all of that, I'm going to bring my colleague Rebecca Berra, senior editor for the show.
Speaker 2: I want to start this story not in the world of sports, but in the world of culture and politics. In the nineties and the.
Speaker 1: Early two th that's what I love most.
Speaker 2: So, Fernanda, you and I have a few things in common. We are both born and raised in Mexico, and we are both millennials. I would say elder millennials, but I know that you have a problem with that word.
Speaker 1: I don't like the world elder for anything.
Speaker 2: So I'll just say that we're millennials of a certain age, which means that we grew up in a time in Mexico when the pop culture influence of the US on the country was just really strong.
Speaker 1: Totally, totally and in a different way. Because it wasn't coming through Instagram or the Internet connecting us all instantly. It felt very organic, but very crescent like. It had to travel a long way to get there, and it made its mark.
Speaker 2: A lot of it got there through TV through radio like Obviously, I would assume that you, like me, grew up watching telenoelas and eating spicy candy. But if you were a teenager like me living in the outskirts of Mexico City, you were also probably watching Beverly Hills nine O two one zero or The Fresh Prince of val Air, which I knew as.
Speaker 1: A which is the Prince of Rap.
Speaker 2: And on top of that, US culture was cool, kind of aspirational totally. But in the United States Mexican influence was lived and perceived differently. And the reason for that is because the US wasn't just dealing with Mexican culture. It was dealing with Mexican people, because millions of Mexicans, both with and without papers, were coming to the United States during those decades. If you look at a graph of the number of Mexican immigrants in the US, wholds steady in the hundreds of thousands for most of last century, and then in the eighties and nineties and two thousands, it just like shoots up and it's two million, four million, ten million.
Speaker 3: All Americans, not only in the States most heavily affected, but in every place in this country are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they home might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants, the public service they use impose burdens on our tax players.
Speaker 2: It's a small example of the dynamic between these two countries. The US seeing Mexico and Mexicans as this country and these people that they need for trade and for labor and stuff like that, but they're also kind of this inconvenience right, and in Mexico you're under this incessant cultural and political influence of the US. But they're also this kind of popular school bully and they're like good at everything, including the sports. And yet yes, this is a soccer podcast, so we are going to talk about sports.
Speaker 1: We're getting to the sports. We're getting there.
Speaker 2: The one thing that Mexicans do not have a complicated relationship with is soccer, or they're standing in soccer when it comes to the United States. Like if you were in Mexico, you know that the United States has the good economy, they have Hollywood, they have Doctor Pepper, But we have soccer. Our local teams are better than the US local teams, and our national team is better than the US national team that we knew. But then in the mid nineties towards the early two thousands, that all changes, and that power dynamic changes as well, And that is where we get to the beginning of this rivalry. In terms of soccer.
Speaker 4: It becomes a rivalry when the other team wins. Also, not when just one team is winning.
Speaker 2: This is Edward Kawich. He is a sports reporter for the La Times, where he's covered boxing and soccer for fifteen years, and he says both teams have played each other at different points in history, like starting in the nineteen thirties, and for most of that history, Mexico was the dominant team.
Speaker 4: If you look at the stats, Mexico has more wins than the US.
Speaker 2: But that started changing.
Speaker 4: The key component here is that the US started winning and started winning in finals.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what changes what happens in the US or with the US team or with players coaches.
Speaker 2: I mean the big change we've already covered in several episodes of this podcast, which is the US actually starts taking soccer seriously at the beginning of the nineties, towards that nineteen ninety four World Cup in the US and then past that. They start getting better players, they start recruiting coaches, including coaches from Mexico, right, and they just start playing better and they start being good kind of early on. Again, they're not winning decisively, but in the very first CONCAKV Gold Cup in nineteen ninety one, the US knocks out Mexico four to zero, unbelievable at the Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And the US goes on to win that tournament Hollywood style, ending the very first Gold Cup.
Speaker 5: The United States in penalties secure their first major trophy.
Speaker 2: And you know what that kind of starts getting to the Mexicans.
Speaker 4: They have that mentality of yeah, you're better than us in many things, but not in soccer. So for Mexicans, they feel more when they lose to the US. Their pride gets damaged also, but even more than US soccer fans.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, this was the one thing that Mexico was better.
Speaker 2: At exactly, And granted, Edward says that Mexico is still the better team early on.
Speaker 4: But that change in the nineteen nineties, late nineteen nineties especially, and I think the climax of that rivalry came in two thousand and two when the US face Mexico in the knockout phase in the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Oh that game.
Speaker 2: That's how it's known officially as that game.
Speaker 1: After the break, those I said, oh, you knew that was coming. We're going to revisit a collective Mexican trauma and talk about that game. It's American football and Fernanda Charai. Before or the break, our senior editor Rebecca Ebra was telling me about how the rivalry between Mexico and the United States didn't become real until the US started winning in the nineties, and the climax of it all came in two thousand and two during the World Cup.
Speaker 2: For Nanda, What do you know about the game between the US and Mexico in the two thousand and two Korea Japan World Cup.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, I'm not going to give you a stats. I'm going to give you the feeling. And the feeling was a holy shit.
Speaker 2: So what you need to know is that this game happened in the knockout phase, which is also known as around to sixteen I call it. Oh that was a final, yeah, and if you win this game, you make it to the quarterfinals. And again, the US was doing good, but Mexico was still mostly winning. So the US team is solidly the underdog going into this game. They had big players, Don't get me wrong. They had Landon Donovan, who is probably one of the best players the US has ever known, but they were still a rookie team from a rookie soccer country. Meanwhile, you have Mexico and they were the favorite, and they had some amazing players right in their prime. They had quote Demo Blanco, they had Luis Hernandez, they had Rafa Marquez, and all these players were pretty cocky going into this. So the website MLS Soccer did an oral history of the game and they interviewed a bunch of the players at the time. For example, Mexico goalkeeper Osualdo Sanchez said, quote, we had all the intentions to win, and we expected to win. MLST also interviewed this midfielder called Pablo Mastroeni from the US and he said, quote, once we got to the location, we got a call from President Bush and he told us that he had a bet with Mexican President visent the folks on the game. It just kind of put things in perspective. Whatever happened prior to that point was irrelevant.
Speaker 6: Ooh, that ship, this reserve their sporting rivalry on the global stage.
Speaker 2: So you guys to that game. It is in Junju, June seventeen, two thousand.
Speaker 6: And two, eight quarter final place against Germany at this fee for World Cup. Is the prize for Mexico or the United States in Junju.
Speaker 2: And to set a little bit more of a scene, there was a US military base in South Korea, so there were actually a lot of US fans in the stadium, and that kind of sets the tone for things. This is also I mean and aside, but it's less than a year from the September eleventh attack, so like there's the sense of American pride and that is felt immediately because only eight minutes in, the US scores a goal and.
Speaker 6: The finish it's for Bride McBride the fire of the United States into an early Lander.
Speaker 2: And then the US scores another goal.
Speaker 6: London don't have center middle to score the second goal for the USA and double that lead with twin even it to the second.
Speaker 2: Half, play huge golf, and what basically happens is that Mexico loses her mind.
Speaker 6: Tensions rising here was beginning to boil.
Speaker 2: You have yellow cards flying everywhere. According to Landon Donovan, Luisa Nandez goes to him at one point and he tells him in Spanish vo contre to, I'm gonna find your mom and I'm gonna kill her now. Luis Hernandez has denied that, but it kind of gives you an idea of the stakes in the game. At one point, Rafa Marquez headbuts will be Jones super hard and Rafa gets expelled, Marcus.
Speaker 6: Leading with his head and losing his head and a painful imminence. Exit for Mexico is soured further.
Speaker 2: They were just losing their minds and the end result is that Mexico is eliminated from the World Cup by the US.
Speaker 6: It's the United States through to the quarter finals to face the free time champions Germany.
Speaker 2: And this is still the only game that the US has won in the knock of the World Cup ever ever, and it is the only time that the US and Mexico have faced each other in a World Cup. Just to kind of give you an example of the told this had on the Mexican psyche Fernanda. In doing research for this episode, I did what all professional journalists do. I asked my dad about, of course the game. Of course I message him on WhatsApp. He's in Mexico, and what he told me is that he remembers that game clearly, even twenty four years later.
Speaker 7: When it happened, I would try to tell myself, well, you know, it's just a game. It doesn't matter what you know. The next few days, the next few nights, I mean I would be waking over like a two or three in the morning thinking about the game, and it just bothered me for like a week, and then for the next couple of months it would just bother me to think about that stupid game.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love hearing this because this is this is a regular person. Because is your dad like a sports commented? Does he make money out of soccer? Like he's just a regular guy?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, But to be feeling this, it speaks to how it felt for the people.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that dosa became a meme. It was everywhere and the US fans were chanted at games.
Speaker 1: Even non Spanish speakers can be like dosa sero and it stings.
Speaker 2: It also just really solidified this as a true rivalry, and it also meant that Mexico could no longer claim authority over soccer. It wasn't just our sport anymore, which was set But Fernanda, I'm gonna make you feel a little.
Speaker 1: Bit better, please do.
Speaker 2: There was one place where Mexico remained victorious and one place where Mexico continues to dominate. Do you have an idea where that may be?
Speaker 1: It's got to be the that pride that people have. The love I don't is it the fans.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's the fan base. And that fan base exists not only with people like my dad back in Mexico, it is also dominant in the United States. I'm going to play you a clip from the three part documentary Good Arrivals. It's on Prime. This is soccer player Alexi Lawless. He played for the US in the nineties and early two thousands.
Speaker 3: For me and my.
Speaker 5: Generation playing against Mexico, it didn't matter whether we were in Mexico City or Guadalajara, or in Los Angeles or Foxboro, Massachusetts. It was an away game and we came to grips with that very early. You recognize that when you are playing against Mexico, at the very least it's going to be fifty to fifty, but more often than not, it is going to be an away game.
Speaker 2: And you know who is feeling those stands in Los Angeles and in Texas and in Illinois. It's those Mexican immigrants that are moving to the United States in the millions, the ones Bill Clinton was so stressed about and everyone has been so stressed about, and they are proclaiming and celebrating their Mexican pride, and on top of that their US born children are also rooting for the Mexican team. I'm going to bring back Edward ka, which he is the sports reporter for the La Times, and.
Speaker 4: Why do they root for Mexico Like an American will ask if you were born here. It doesn't have to do with the Mexican national team being good. It doesn't have to be at all. That's what people don't get it. It has to do with identity.
Speaker 2: It's about the culture.
Speaker 4: When you attenn a soccer game is a festival. It's not just a game. You go there because you tailgate. Were your buddies where you're at the Mexico game.
Speaker 6: We're just showing you how.
Speaker 3: The same.
Speaker 6: Let's go take a look.
Speaker 4: You listen to the Santa Fernandez because it reminds you of your dad, your grandpa, your music, your food, your karasaya, your cook before the game, and.
Speaker 2: Edward says, this isn't just for the Mexican national team. The same goes for the local teams in the Mexican league La Liga Emegis.
Speaker 4: I've seen games here when Chivas is playing and they're playing with their backup team and the Rose Bowl Stadium gets filled with ninety thousand people, and that's a very clear picture why Mexican fans go to stadiums, because they go for their identity.
Speaker 1: After the break. What it means as a fan when you're not just picking a team, but you're picking an identity and call a Mexican American superstar safe soccer, We'll be right back. It's American football and Fernande Chavarri back with Rebecca talking about how soccer keeps many Mexican Americans in touch with their roots.
Speaker 2: I spoke to a few people who are Mexican American. One of them is Cesa Ernandez. Cessad was born and raised in Los Angeles, but his parents are from Mexico, and he says soccer has been key in his life to keeping that connection to the home of his ancestors.
Speaker 8: And it's something that I'm a little self conscious about sometimes. But if you're to strip away soccer from me, I think my personal would be quite frankly, I guess it would be very Americanized in comparison to my family and my theos Anthias, my mom and my grandparents. But like, by bringing that soccer element into me, that's kind of what makes me feel. I don't know, incredibly proud of my Mexican heritage.
Speaker 1: It goes back to what we were talking about in the beginning of our conversation, because outside of soccer, the radio station he listens to, his Spotify playlist, his watch list on Netflix is probably very sort of American culture, as he's saying. So it's the sport that keeps that connection and that sort of Mexican ness alive.
Speaker 2: For him exactly, and Sasad has made that sport a really huge part.
Speaker 7: Of his life.
Speaker 8: I'm a soccer writer for ESPN. I cover Mexican soccer, American soccer, and.
Speaker 2: It's a constant presence in his life.
Speaker 8: It's never not been there in the background to this day. I mean, I'm not paying attention to it. There's a soccer game in the background, like down.
Speaker 4: The wall right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I'm not watching it. I promise you. I promise you. I'm not watching it. I promise you, I'm not watching it.
Speaker 6: I love this.
Speaker 2: Isn't it your dream as a journalist to be interviewing someone and them having a soccer game in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure. I'm sure It's not distracting at all.
Speaker 2: But a perfect example of Cisad's cultural connection to soccer is the very first professional soccer game he ever attended in nineteen ninety six in Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: It was the first year for the La Galaxy, the first year for MLS Back in nineteen ninety six, the.
Speaker 9: MLS Galaxy prosus the New York metron Stars, and the reason why my dad and tens of thousands of us were there were to see Mexican goalkeeping legend hord Ca Campos Campos.
Speaker 2: This is the first ever game for the La Galaxy, which is an American team, and Sasad is there to see a Mexican player. Do we need to explain who Horte compos is now right?
Speaker 1: I would love to say no, but maybe we should. And my explainer of Horte Campos is, let me try and do it in a few words. Goalie Mexico nineties tiny, incredibly talented neon outfits.
Speaker 2: The La Galaxy knew that the fandom, many of them Mexican and Mexican Americans, would show up, and they continue to show up, not just for the Mexican national team, but as I mentioned before, they show up for teams that play in the Mexican soccer league, which is called La Liga Emeki's, and a lot of those fans born in the US follow those local teams for the same reason that they might follow the national team, which is tradition.
Speaker 8: And Major League Soccer doesn't really have that. I think there is a recognition from MLS teams and owners that they have yet to really win over a number of Liga Mechi's fans, and I think that when we're talking about connections that Latinos have and Mexican Americans have to those teams back home, that's just something that MLS doesn't have just yet and doesn't have that kind of generational support.
Speaker 2: Even though LaLiga Mecke's hasn't done much to cater to those Mexican American fans other than just exist.
Speaker 8: They don't have to.
Speaker 2: They don't have to, but a lot of those Mexican American fans speak English as their first language, and for the past couple of decades, those fans have taken it upon themselves to cover the league in English, whether through podcasts.
Speaker 1: Borrow hard things than Chivas playing through a third of the Liga mex season, or social media.
Speaker 4: LFC is going to be playing today against Micrusasul and yes, my Makina needs to do a big rebonda because they're down three.
Speaker 2: Zero or through groups on discord, I spoke to one fan who used to translate all the tweets from Nashchiva's that's fascinating and for example, the work that saysaut does, he does it all in English for.
Speaker 8: ESPN, because when we talk about Legua mech Use, this is not only the most popular soccer league in Mexico, line surprisingly, but also in the United States. So there's a huge, huge appetite for that and that kind of permeates into obviously the Mexican national team. I would make the argument that the most popular national team in the United States is the Mexican national team.
Speaker 1: The most popular national team in the United States is the Mexican national team.
Speaker 2: And that's born out by the numbers. Like I was looking at attendance numbers, average attendance numbers going back to twenty twelve, and the average match attendance for a Mexico game was consistently around like forty five to fifty five thousand a game, and the average attendance for the US was around in twenty twenty five twenty eight thousand game, and that has been the case since I saw the numbers in twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: That's a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Now, for the sake of fact checking for Nan that LaLiga MkIS nowadays in the United States is trailing behind the Premier League.
Speaker 1: Okay, so people in the US are a little more interested in watching European teams than they are Mexican local teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least when you're talking like in TV or streaming. But LaLiga IMECKE still beats Major League Soccer MLS. And here is where we arrive to the final evolution of this rivalry. This is gonna be our final act. So the soccer leagues in Mexico and the US aren't just competing for fans and viewership anymore. They're also battling for players. I'm going to bring back Edward Kavic of the La Times.
Speaker 4: I think in the future we're gonna see more and more Mexican Americans playing for the US and more Mexican Americans playing for Mexico. And that's the next level.
Speaker 2: So Mexico and the local teams in Mexico have like been famously strict about letting in foreign national players, but Mexican Americans in the US get dual nationality. So that means that Mexican teams are now competing for those Mexican Americans in the United States. And a lot of those Mexican Americans are good, and.
Speaker 1: The US is saying no, no, no, you were born here, Miko. Well maybe the US doesn't say, Miko, sunny boy sonny boy, dude, buddy, you were born here, buddy, so you got to play for US? Is that's essentially what he's saying, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when you watch interviews on the news or in social media with these Mexican American players that are being recruited by US teams or Mexican teams, you hear them wrestling with what country to pick.
Speaker 5: You have a chance to play for both national teams.
Speaker 4: Walk me through what you're feeling in that moment.
Speaker 7: It was hard.
Speaker 9: It was very hard both choices in my hand, Mexico or the US.
Speaker 8: And it was hard for me because I don't want to let down my mom or my dad.
Speaker 2: They're not just picking a team, they're picking an identity and whatever choice they make. Edward is certain about this one thing.
Speaker 4: I think there's gonna be a London Donovan type of player who's gonna change the game, and it's gonna be a Mexican American and whoever ends up losing that player, if it's the US or Mexico, they're gonna be regreading that for a long time.
Speaker 1: Does he know something we don't know? Has he been in the stands scouting the like next Mexican American superstar.
Speaker 2: He convinced me, though, Son, We're gonna have to check back in a few years down the line and just see if this prediction turns out to be true.
Speaker 1: I'll did ten bucks.
Speaker 2: It does deal.
Speaker 1: American Football is produced by Futbura Studios in collaboration with Iheart's Mike Kultura podcast network. I'm Your host Fernande Chavarri. This episode was produced by Reba Barra and Levi Sharp. It was edited by Marlon Bishop, sac checking by Roxanna Guire, mixing by Brandon Krugel at Multitude Productions. Victoria Strada is our production manager. Legal review by Jonathan Fisher at Fisher Legal Arts. Our executive producers are Marlon Bishop and Maria Garcia at Futuro Studios. Executive producers at iHeart are Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana Futuro Media was founded by Marie no Josa. You can listen to more episodes on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your shows. And if you like this one, why don't you rate it, review it and share it with your friends. Thanks for listening, bye e