Speaker 1: A quick warning. This story contains adult themes and strong language. Summer nineteen ninety seven. Somewhere in the Alps. It's a beautiful day and a young man is sitting in a white van. He's expecting a call any second from his boss. Once he gets the call, the operation is on, but timing is everything. Until he gets the call, he has to sit tight. He looks out the window. The view is stunning. Majestic peaks rise up on either side of a vast glacial lake. Beyond that the border, but he's not here for the view. He checks his map yet again. It'll take around twenty minutes to drive to the border crossing. He turns to check the back of the van. The bags are there, bags big enough to carry a lot of.
Speaker 2: Cash, millions for hundreds of thousands of certain currencies.
Speaker 1: And the man in the van, Yes, it's Lars, Lilah and Evelyn's trusty butler. And it's the first time he's told this story on the record.
Speaker 2: I remember distinctly finding out the specific weight and volume of dollars uros pounds.
Speaker 1: Lars lets out a long breath and glances at his phone. Nothing. Everything is going to be okay, he tells himself. It's simple. All he has to do is drive over the border, pick up the cash, and sneak back. You were being asked to smuggle. Yes, the most important thing is this. He can only make the crossing at a very specific time.
Speaker 2: When a customs official who had been bribed and prepared would let us through both ways without checking the vehicle.
Speaker 1: Lars waits and waits. There's a problem, something has gone wrong. The mission is aborted. Lars has to get out of there fast, but Lilah and Evelyn's butler is rather enjoying the thrill of it all. In fact, this is exactly the sort of adventure he's always dreamed of. Did you realize what you were doing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I did it with my eyes open, knowing that this is not good.
Speaker 1: It was illegal.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now we haven't found anyone who can corroborate all this, but if it's true, it makes me wonder. Was there far more to Evelyn's swindling operation than meets the eye? Was it far larger than anyone new from usg Audio Blanchard House and exactly right, media, this is royal swindle. I'm Becky Milligan. Episode five, starting over six months later spring nineteen ninety eight, the Hague Holland Evelyn, Lilah, and their loyal butler Lars, are on the run. They know that back in the UK, Detective Jim Frost is well and truly onto them. The the trio are having breakfast in a rather modest hotel. It's not smart or exclusive, and the service is far from impeccable. In fact, it's rather run down. This is not what Lilah has become accustomed to, and it's not the life Evelyn has always promised.
Speaker 3: Her miserable little hotel.
Speaker 1: Was, But the couple don't have much choice because their pot of cash has almost run dry.
Speaker 3: Horrible place.
Speaker 1: Just a few more days, Evelyn reassures Lilah. Normally, of course they'd be staying in a five star hotel and just not paying the bill. But after Sopwell House, Evelyn isn't taking the risk anyway. She's expecting funds to be wired from America any day now, a windfall.
Speaker 3: There was a huge amount of money coming in, and Evelyn said, we are going to be fine, don't worry. Organized more money and we will be all to survive for a long time.
Speaker 1: And it really is a huge amount. Now, it's not entirely clear where this cash is coming from. But on that cassette which Evelyn recorded for her never published memoir, she says an American associate owed her fifty million US dollars. If she's about to call in that debt, it will set the couple up for life, a life of real luxury. Lila will want for nothing. Evelyn will deliver on her wedding day promise. So despite the horrid hotel and Lilah sulking, everything is looking pretty peachy. Except a whole week goes by and there's no sign of any money in Evelyn's account. Probably wise not to stay in one place for too long, Evelyn thinks. So it's back in the car lars at the wheel.
Speaker 2: We continued from there to Amsterdam, stayed for one week at the Tulip Hotel.
Speaker 1: Another city, another cheap hotel. Evelyn keeps reassuring Lilah. But another week goes by, still no sign of the money. Evelyn is chasing her American contact, Come on, where's the cash. Then at last the money lands in Evelyn's account. But there's a problem the money. It's not millions, far from it. Actually, it's little more than a few grand that's it. Evelyn has no idea what has gone wrong, but she doesn't have to to find out. The longer they stay put, the greater the risk of being tracked down by Jim Frost in the UK. They have to get going. But where they need a place which is far away, a safe haven where no one will know who they are. Evelyn and Lilah discuss where on earth that could be?
Speaker 3: Where do you want to go? As I don't know, Jen, and we haven't been near to Auckland, why don't we try there? That might be really nice?
Speaker 1: And I suppose it was a place where you the police went after you yet.
Speaker 3: Well, au Gusto.
Speaker 1: So that's decided New Zealand it is.
Speaker 3: We paid our hotel bill. What's far as I knowing you? M you ever thought about that?
Speaker 1: Very funny, Lilah. Lilah and Evelyn are packing up, ready to leave, but there is one thing they have to do. It's Lars, with his sweet smile and blonde hair. He's not going with them. It's time to bid farewell to their loyal butler, their confidante. Lars holds his arms up to the two women.
Speaker 3: I gave him a hag, sort of a hag. Well, I don't quite know what Lar's called tugs, but sideways hag, you know, the sort of thing I said. You know, this brings to an endo lovely relationship.
Speaker 1: Lars has been with them for over a year. The bonds are deep.
Speaker 3: It was horrible, was absolutely horrible. It was like saying goodbye to a really really, really really really best friend person, not a battle. He was too sweet, just too lovely, and we didn't want to see the last of him.
Speaker 1: So not just a butler and also not just a friend. Lars has become an accomplice. Don't forget this guy was willing to smuggle money across borders for our duo. The two women tell him to return to Sweden and lie low for Lars. It's the end of the adventure.
Speaker 2: Time to ride into the sunset and disappear.
Speaker 1: So as Lars boards his playing to Sweden, Evelyn and Lilah are boarding their plane to New Zealand, a brand new place and a fresh start. It's just what they do over and over again. They want to get as far away from Detective Jim Frost as possible.
Speaker 3: Goodbye crowl Goodbye England, Goodbye what is that?
Speaker 1: And Hello New Zealand. Lilah is impressed. She loves their new home.
Speaker 3: Look at this place. They messed sweep all the roads every day. It was gorgeous.
Speaker 1: And so their new life begins. But it's not so easy. Remember, they've hardly got any cash. Their money just about stretches to a small motel. Lilah has to wash their clothes in a communal laundry, and there's certainly no room service. This is not a suite at the Berkley. They've really come down in the world, and it's tough for the couple, not only because they're running out of money, but also because Evelyn, the confident, funny chatterbox. Evelyn, well, she's not quite herself.
Speaker 3: Everyone wants to get some things sorted out in her head. She said, I haven't got anyone here. I need to talk to someone about what's going on in my life.
Speaker 1: But that someone isn't Lilah.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you all right yet, I'm fine, you sure talk to me. I don't need to talk to you. I'll talk to someone else.
Speaker 1: Lilah's hurt. Those intimate chats they used to have in bed late at night, those haven't happened for a while. They've been together for years and it's never been like this before. They've always been so in love, Evelyn's always been so doting. Now it feels like they're drifting further and further apart. Then Lilah has an idea, an idea which will get Evelyn out of the house, meet people, take her out of herself. They could join a local lesbian so social.
Speaker 3: Group, and I said, we really should. In that way, we'll get fringed, we'll be able to talk our own language. It should be quite fun. Would you like to do it? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So that's what they do, and it is fun. But then something happens, something unexpected. Evelyn meets someone, a woman from the lesbian group. They start spending time together, and at first it's fine, they're just friends. Lila doesn't mind.
Speaker 3: But then I said, I've got to go out with them more often, and I thought, Hello, something's going on here. And I think that they've been sleeping together. Whatever they were doing.
Speaker 1: Now, we have no idea whether that's true or not, but in any case, Lila doesn't feel good about it.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I think I felt jealous. I would have felt jealous because it wasn't nice.
Speaker 1: Lilah realizes something.
Speaker 3: I said to him, I'm unneasing you anti dalling.
Speaker 1: But on the other hand, now Evelyn is feeling a bit better. Magically, their cash flow improves as well. And if the money's coming in, that always makes Lila feel a bit better too. Do you start going shopping again and having a bit of cash? Of course, of course on clothes, furniture, fancy food and all the lovely things that Lilah loves. Not only that, they move to a new part of town, one of the most desirable suburbs in New Zealand, with friendly neighbors and most importantly, very rich friendly neighbors. There's just one thing, a question which it seems Lila never stops to ask, where is all the money coming from? Meanwhile, back in England, Detective Constable Jim Frost has no idea that Evelyn and Lilah have fled to New Zealand. He's still busy gathering evidence about their antics with the Horsey set, and he's made another breakthrough. He's obtained Evelyn's bank statements and their dynamite.
Speaker 4: We can see money is coming in from investors, and we can see Evelyn and Lilah having a whale of a time on this one particular shopping spry eight thousand pounds in a day at John Lewis.
Speaker 1: John Lewis is like the British version of Macy's.
Speaker 4: Buying curtains and bits and bobs and furniture. God knows what they were doing it they didn't have a house.
Speaker 1: This is real evidence, in black and white, in print, there for everyone to see. Jim can categorically show that.
Speaker 4: None of the money was invested, not one dime, not one penny he was invested. No, No, they just spent it on having a good time.
Speaker 1: And in a court case before a judge and jury, he calculates.
Speaker 4: That's cast iron evidence, which is so compelling. You know you're you're onto a winner.
Speaker 1: Really, he thinks he's got everything he needs to put our duo behind bars. But of course, when he goes back to Evelyn and Lilah's last known address.
Speaker 4: We found out that they disappeared, vanished.
Speaker 1: Jim kicks himself. He realizes that decision to call Evelyn in question her, well, it's backfired big time, and now he knows it.
Speaker 4: I was pissed off. We were all pissed off.
Speaker 1: And that's putting it mildly. He's been working on this case for months.
Speaker 4: I know that I've got the evidence to convict them, and I don't want to lose that.
Speaker 1: But Jim's dogged. Remember he's a thief taker. He isn't about to throw in the towel. Far from it.
Speaker 4: That was just not gonna happen because I wasn't gonna let them go.
Speaker 1: But for now, Detective Jim Frost has no idea whatsoever where his thieves are hiding away, no clues, in fact, no leads at all. Auckland, New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Marine Prague was a very old and established street in a very old established suburb in.
Speaker 1: Bay Lilah and Evelyn's new neighborhood, A perfect place to hide a bungalow in the back of beyond deep in suburbia where nothing ever happens. Meet the couple's new neighbors, Katherine and Greg Buckley.
Speaker 5: We were number forty and ours was a little nineteen sixties brick and tile place, quite low to the ground. They were number forty two, so slightly uphill of us. There was a big hedge between us and these was one of the slightly grander bungalows.
Speaker 1: A few days after Evelyn and Lila move in, Katherine and Greg pop round to welcome them.
Speaker 5: We're not muffin bakers, Greg and I. But if you were a muff and baker, you would have arrived with your box of muffins.
Speaker 1: But we didn't.
Speaker 5: We just arrived and said hi.
Speaker 1: They meet Lila first.
Speaker 5: Well, she's just this beamy, smiley little woman.
Speaker 1: Little does she know who she's really dealing with, though she does sense Lila's concealing something.
Speaker 5: I'm a natural red head, and I think I can spotted not natural red head.
Speaker 1: But of course Lilah's concealing much more than that. Lilah tells them that Evelyn is a financial advisor. Right, okay, pretty well to do, thanks Catherine. But then she notices the decor inside the house. Now she doesn't want to come across as a snob, but when she pokes her head in the door, she thinks.
Speaker 5: You know that weird, like not stylish, not classy at all. And the most outstanding thing for me was that there were just like little China ornaments everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was quite old Lady Nana style. Now Lilah would certainly take issue with that description. She loves her new house and she's got it just how she wants it.
Speaker 3: Gorgeous, a gay guar's house, what can I say?
Speaker 1: Of course, Greg and Catherine don't let on. They find it all rather chintzy. And more importantly, their kids love Evelyn and Lila's dogs.
Speaker 5: They had the fattest little pug one or two two two.
Speaker 1: They could barely move they were.
Speaker 5: So fed, probably overfeed clearly, you know, the apples of their eye.
Speaker 1: But the kids don't care how fat the pugs are. They just love playing with them and taking them for walks.
Speaker 5: But you couldn't walk them very fat because to drag them the poor little things hit you know, leagues about three inches long.
Speaker 4: They just love the dogs and this quaint old lady in the house.
Speaker 1: Quaint old lady. That's Lilah they're talking about. But Lila is happy. She's loving life in the suburbs. Cash is abundant and they're a long long way from the clutches of Detective Jim Frost in England. All that business with the Horsey set feels like another lifetime, all in the past. Their new neighborhood in Marine Parade is the perfect place to keep their heads down and their mouths shut. And as far as all their neighbors are concerned, Evelyn and Lilah are just a couple of sweet old ladies from Australia with a pair of pugs. Until it's a regular day in marine parade in Auckland. Katherine is out front when she bumps into Evelyn and Lilah's landlord, Kevin, who she knows well.
Speaker 5: And he said, oh, I've just got something to let you know. And he came either and he didn't stand on the street and chat.
Speaker 1: He insists they go inside, which is very unusual. He says, it's about your new neighbors.
Speaker 5: How much of you had to do with Evelyn and Layla.
Speaker 1: Catherine looks at him perplexed.
Speaker 5: And I said, oh, you know, not match the dogs and waving over the fence and what have you.
Speaker 1: And he said, well, don't now she's listening like coul carry on, fill me in, don't what. As Kevin speaks, Catherine's eyes widen. She can't believe it. Evelyn and Lilah, he says, are known fraudsters. Kevin warns her.
Speaker 5: Do not let them talk you into doing anything with money. Don't let them borrow money from you, don't suggest that you know you can invest with them, just have nothing to do with them.
Speaker 1: Then Kevin says, one last thing. They have to keep this information to themselves. They cannot they must not talk about it.
Speaker 5: We weren't supposed to go Blair Blair Blair because Auckland's a small town.
Speaker 1: And that's it. Kevin says goodbye and shuts the front door behind him. Catherine stunned, she replays the conversation in her head. Known fraudsters, the question is known by whom who knows where they are? Well, I can tell you one thing. It's not Detective Jim Frost in the UK. He still has no idea where they're hiding out. For Evelyn and Lilah, life carries on as normal. There's no sign at all that trouble might be brewing. Catherine and Gregg prove to be rather good at keeping secrets. No in Marine Parade, everything's as it always has been. Evelyn and Lilah have plenty of money coming in, so Evelyn decides to treat herself. One morning, she turns to Lilah.
Speaker 3: She said, look, I want a flet tummy. I think I need to go and have a flet tummy.
Speaker 1: Evelyn has always been generous with her money, well not her money exactly, but for once she actually wants to do something for herself. Evelyn decides to have liposuction. It's a cosmetic procedure, kind of like vacuuming fat from her belly and then followed up with a tummy tuck. She books herself into a private hospital. On the day of the procedure, all seems to be going well. The doctor says they'll be in touch once Evelyn is out of the operating room, so Lila goes home and takes a nap. Lila wakes up. She expects the voice on the other end of the call to be the doctor at Evelyn's private hospital, but it isn't. It's from a public hospital and it's an emergency.
Speaker 3: We've got evil unburdening here. Do you know who? And I said, yes, I do. Why Oh, They've just brought her in in an ambulance.
Speaker 1: Lilah rushes to the public hospital. She finds Evelyn in her room in terrible pain. Something has gone wrong with the operation, very wrong.
Speaker 3: She was looking really bad and she was just everything about it was just awful.
Speaker 1: Evelyn is not okay.
Speaker 3: Larly, I feel terrible. I feel terrible. I'm dying. I'm dying. I'm dying. I know I'm dying.
Speaker 1: Were you scared?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, because she was dying.
Speaker 1: I swear the wound from the stomach procedure has opened and become very seriously infected. And then even worse, they discover Evelyn's had a stroke in her apartment. Lila shows me a photo of the wound taken at the time. It's really shocking to see a huge wound gaping open, red and raw and weeping. The way Lilah tells it, Evelyn was discharged in a pretty dire state.
Speaker 3: So that was the wound, right, That is shocking. I actually dicked that up for her.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you did that, because that looks right.
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know. I just do things. You just do it anyway. I was able to put two fists in who bury.
Speaker 1: Into the wound in Oh. Evelyn eventually comes home, but she's a shell of the woman she used to be. She needs a lot of care and tension, and Lilah spends all her time looking after her.
Speaker 3: I would wait night and day looking after her, feeding her, cleaning her up, doing her wounds.
Speaker 1: Slowly, very slowly. Evelyn begins to improve, but there's no money coming in. They're falling on hard times. Unless Lila can earn they'll be thrown out of the bungalow. So Lilah does what she knows best.
Speaker 3: I opened another little B and D place within the house that when we're living.
Speaker 1: Of course, yes, Lilah brings bondage and discipline to Marine Parade. Did you get some customers?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, right, and what was your name there?
Speaker 3: Madame's Via.
Speaker 1: So you return to the old job, hehew, Madame zav The era is back in business.
Speaker 3: And I was doing maybe an hour, hour and a half a work a day, and that was bringing in maybe three hundred dollars a day from one client. And our great clients, they really were, they were excellent.
Speaker 1: Now, Catherine and Greg might know that they're living next door to known fraudsters, and of course Evelyn and Lilah have no idea. Katherine and Greg know that, but Catherine and Greg have absolutely no idea. Lila is running a B and D business right next door to them. So things are starting to get very interesting in Marine Parade. More interesting than they've been in a very, very long time, and things are about to get even more interesting. So Evelyn's recovering and Lilah's working because the cash run dry, and Lilah hopes that as soon as Evelyn is back on her feet, things will all go back to normal. But they never will. Their world in their leafy suburb in Marine Parade is about to implode. Nothing will ever be the same again, because where did all that cash come from? Well? Remember that woman who Lilah was jealous of, the one Evelyn had been spending all that time with. Well, she's Evelyn's latest victim, who Evelyn swindled tens of thousands of dollars out of. It's the usual m O. Evelyn promises miracle returns on a modest upfront investment, an upfront investment that goes straight into Evelyn's pocket, and as usual, Lilah pleads ignorance.
Speaker 3: I don't know, so.
Speaker 1: You didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the transaction at all.
Speaker 1: So yes, they rent on their lovely new home in Marine Parade, all the Chinsea China ornaments, the two overweight pugs, even the botched tummy tuck It's all paid for unknowingly by Evelyn's friend. But guess what that friend She's just called the cops. You've been listening to Royal Swindle at Blanchard House, production for USG Audio in partnership with Exactly Right Media, hosted by me Becky Milligan. It's written in used by me Becky Milligan and Sarah Jones. Original music is by Daniel Lloyd Evans, Louis Langmannell and Toby Mattimon. Sound design and mixed engineering is by Vulcan Kisseltok, Toby Mattimoon and Daniel Lloyd Evans. Story development by Duncan Barber. The managing producer is Amka Schortino Nolan. Production support from Josh la Longi at USG Audio. The creative director at Blanchard House is Rosy Pye. The executive producer and head of Content at Blanchard House is Lawrence Grisell. Our executive producer from USG Audio is Josh Block