Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star Infrasco.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome on into Draft one oh one, brought to you by Miller Lte.
Speaker 2: We are one, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: One week away from right now, Round one of the NFL Draft will be open. Of course, Cowboys have the twenty fourth overall selection. I'm Zach Wolchuk of the g Bag Nation on one O five through the Fan, also of the Draft Show. We've got the great Super Bowl winning scout Brian brought us the Draft show legend.
Speaker 2: Of course, my partner one O five through the Fan with.
Speaker 3: The g bagnation, Nick Harris Dallascowboys dot Com, his first year with us and is doing a bang up job.
Speaker 2: Let's give a round of applase for Nick.
Speaker 3: Please there, Bobby Belt are Cowboys insider Sean and arj as well one O five through the Fan, and of course Kyle Yemen's another new dad like myself over here Dallas Cowboys dot Com, Kyle, long time North Texas me and to Rain buddy mine.
Speaker 4: As well, no doubt about it. And hey, let's give it up for Zach Wolcheck here too. He's not gonna get a round of applause, so I wanted to make sure that he's good too.
Speaker 3: Well, this is pretty awesome that we're sitting in here in the Cowboys meeting room. I think this is the first time in draft one on one history that that has happened. And thank you so much to all that are in attendance. You guys sold this thing out. I think it was what within three hours that we had tickets go up and available. Pretty incredible, and thank you all to your draft passion, for you watching us on the Draft show, all the interaction we get on social media and on the fan. We love doing what we do, but I think it's time we talked some drafts. Will be taking questions from you throughout the entire time that we're here, So if you have any questions, we can figure out a way to get you on Mike and we'll set you up right over there. You can come over ask us a question and we're happy to talk some draft with you.
Speaker 2: But team.
Speaker 3: I mean, as we're a week out pick twenty four, if we got to kick it around the horn, what's the dream pick right now?
Speaker 2: Today? I think you guys know who mine is. Who is it? Graham Barton? That's fine, Gram Barton? Is it yours? Yeah, let's go, let's go after It's the Grand Barton fan club right here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Graham Barton. I mean it is a projection. And we've talked about him a lot. Played left tackle most recently. You go back to res freshman year, you can watch him play some center, But I think it's the attitude in which Graham Barton plays, with the nastiness. He wants to finish you every single snap. I think if you haven't seen him the tape, the one on ones against your Adverse from Florida State sit out to me, it's exactly the reasons I don't want him necessarily as a starter at left tackle, because you see some of the limitations again against an athletic disrupt edge like Verse, but you also see a time where Verse will stunt inside and you get a little taste of what it'll be like for Graham Barton in a phone booth there and he just puts Je Verse on his ass, and I'm like, that's my dude, right there.
Speaker 4: He's done that a couple of times. He's so smart with the way that he plays the game. That's the thing is, he's got a high intelligence in the way that he attacks defenders, and he does so against guys like Verse, and he does so against anybody else. But it's the versatility for me. With the way that Tyler Smith is handled right now, left tackle the left guard to left tackle the left guard, you don't necessarily know exactly what you're doing. I think Graham Barton gives you a for sure answer. You've got your left tackle of the future. His name's Tyler Smith and he's already in the building.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 5: We've talked a lot about Graham Barton being able to come in and play center immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well let's say he gets picked. Sure, what is the potential he comes in. Hey, that's a really good left guard you got right there, TJ. Basstbrock Hoffman. Those are options you can still throw in at center left guard. Graham Barton, I mean, with the trace that he has and being able to play up against interior guys. You say that he can handle, or those athletic guys, so let's put them up against three texts, maybe even a five tech that's trying to come inside. I think there's also an option for grand Barton to play left guard. I think for me that's probably why he would be My dream pick is versatil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, versatility.
Speaker 6: The pan over here, Grand Barton, guys on the bus with us with.
Speaker 2: Twenty four.
Speaker 3: You want to welcome in Isisa Morrison of course, Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Thank you as well to those of us streaming on twitch and on YouTube on the one oh five three of the fans YouTube and twitch sites.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, We love you.
Speaker 3: Aisha twenty four, Graham Barton or do you have somebody else that's your dream pick?
Speaker 7: No, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 8: I think that somebody made a good point earlier today on the show that even if he does come in, if you were to bring in Graham Barton, is that going to take away from how good he is with communication as a center. And I think that you made that point earlier, Nick, so that would be the only thing. But we know what he's capable of. And then when you look at the Cowboys, so many of the offensive lines that they're playing a lot of the defensive lines that they're playing are strong.
Speaker 7: On the interior.
Speaker 8: So to get a guy in, I'm not afraid to rustle, would be nice to pair, you know, right there next to the whatever whatever center they decide to bring in.
Speaker 3: So, okay, Bobby, I want to get your thoughts here in just a second. But Brian, this is way too comfortable. We're all agreeing.
Speaker 7: It's weird.
Speaker 2: Why why should GRANM Barton not be the pick of twenty four because Jackson powers Johnson should be the pick.
Speaker 7: He's he always got to make a scene, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know the thing, and I have nothing against Graham Barton at all, And I think the thing that when you look at the Dallas Cowboy was especially with some of the issues that they dealt with in the running game, I think point of attack blocking at tight end was poor. I don't think Luke Schoonmaker did enough for you there. I don't think the tight ends as a hold it enough and your center was not good enough at reaching wide techniques or getting second level blocks. Graham Barton can do those kinds of things. But I think when you start to talk about power and what you're playing with within this division. When the NFC East, we're starting to see these larger, bigger, more athletic tackles, and so I think you have to be able to combat that. And you know, Graham Barton, I think can rustle with anybody like we're talking about. I think that just powers. Johnson has just a little bit more power to him. Is the three hundred and twenty eight pound guy. But you watch him, You watch him reach wide techniques, you watch him play second level, you watch him pull, you watch him like get two blocks on one play. He'll take a down guy, bounce that guy and then bounce to another guy. Yeah. I like the kid from Duke. But to me, if you want to give me the most powerful player at that position, I'm taking Powers Johnson from Oregon.
Speaker 9: Okay, Bobby, Yeah. I mean look, it's funny. The four names I think you see most consistently around the Cowboys, just through mock drafts and everything else right now are Jackson, Powers Johnson, Graham Barton, the two guys we talk about here, and then Amarius Mems and Tyler Geyton. Amarusmims with the tackle at Georgia, Guidon the tackle at Oklahoma. And this is the function of picking at twenty four, is that you're talking about there's a projection, there's a question, there's something about all of them, no matter how much you like them.
Speaker 10: If you like Memes, you like Geiton.
Speaker 9: You're talking about projecting somebody to left tackle that's been primarily a right tackle. If you like Jackson powers Johnson, you're gonna have to probably get comfortable with some things about his health. If you're talking about Graham Barton, you're talking about kicking him inside to a completely different position than he's played since you know, his freshman year. And so I lean towards when I say, what are the Cowboys doing right now?
Speaker 10: Where are they at?
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 9: You know, they are teams that are rebuilding. There are other teams in the middle of contention. There are other teams trying to, you know, get in while the window is still open. And I think that the Cowboys being in sort of a win now mode right now, it's just what center are you most comfortable with, because I think center minimizes the most risk of all of the picks that they're potentially looking at at the offensive line, because you do have Tyler Smith who can play tackle.
Speaker 10: You do have TJ. Bass who can play guard.
Speaker 9: If you commit to Tyler Smith at left guard, you know, are you talking about potentially a center and a left tackle that you got to go find.
Speaker 10: How comfortable are you with bra Kaufman. I think that TJ.
Speaker 9: Bass is probably more ready to go right now than I would say Hoffman.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, we've also gone to see him a little bit more.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and so because of that, just where that function is, then I think you got to say, Okay, the win now move right now. That is for the betterment of your team. Would be to me, whichever center you have great at hire right now? I would probably lean Graham Barton.
Speaker 2: Does anybody are you scared about? And maybe the apprehension I would have about Memes. I think Mems is a hell of a player. And I always get these guys laugh at me because I'm the old guy when we start to talk about ceilings and floors and all that. I never talked about that in a war room, but they talk about it today. But I was just wondering with Memes and the lack of games that he's played. You know, you could watch the Ohio State playoff game and you get an idea of like, Okay, this guy can block NFL type players, but is there any apprehension about him playing a different position though, But with the minimal number of games that he's played.
Speaker 6: You ever been to a wedding, you know you got the loaf.
Speaker 2: I've been in a couple of them myself.
Speaker 3: You see these ceilings that are all the subject nick, Yeah, I lost I lost my I lost in a wedding.
Speaker 11: I lost my first one because of the NFL. Okay, okay, just what exact You walk into the venue. You see these high, high ceilings with the chandelier, and you look, You've tried to do this with me before.
Speaker 5: I would love to touch that chandelier, but yeah, I'm gonna have to get there. That's that's chandelier all the way up there. But also you are looking at your feet and you realize how tall that shandel I've been laying on the ground before weddings. Yeah, I understand that too.
Speaker 6: You got to.
Speaker 5: Understand how far you got to get to get there. And I think that that is what Amarus Mims is. Yes, he has this crazy high ceiling, but also at the same time, you don't really know completely the product that you're getting for me whenever I'm looking at guys that you don't have a lot of experience with and a Marius Mims case only eight starts at Georgia. Yes, his first start came in a game against Ohio State and the playoffs in my finals back in twenty twenty three, and I really loved what he did in that game. I think that was his best product that he put forth. What I like to see whenever I'm looking at guys that don't have a lot of experience is okay, what did they show that they can that I know that they can improve on at the next level. What have they shown in that eight games that they've been able to develop? Because you can at least get a trajectory from that line, right, you look at game one, you look at game eight. Okay, I didn't like what he did here as far as his hand fighting was against Ohio State in certain areas. Okay, here in game eight, I see that kind of improving. Yes, there is still ways for him to go, but I know that trajectory is actually going. So with the Marius Mims, I love the frame, I love the size. I think with a guy like that, you bring him in the building, you start to ask, Okay, what do you know from an intelligent standpoint? What do you know from a blocking scheme standpoint? Can you get to the second level? What does your mobility look like? And I think you kind of round that all up in your report, But I think that's when the in house stuff becomes so important, because you want to know the type of person you're getting to if it means that you have to really develop that guy.
Speaker 2: This is where if I was in the war room with Jerry Jones, being an older guy, I would try and sell Flozel Adams here because the thing I always learned about working with Jerry, you have to tell him this player reminds me of this guy and you could paint that picture for him. If you could do that, then he'll have a better understanding of what he's potentially dealing with. So if I was one of the older scouts like Chris Hall guys that been with him, I would say, hey, potentially this is your flos Oh Adams. At six eight, three hundred and forty pounds. He has a history and understanding of what flows Oh Adams was like as a tackle for him in the nineties. How do you feel about Amarus mems Asia.
Speaker 8: I mean, I kind of agree with Brian on this and this, and I think it goes back to what Bobby said about this being a year where you're looking for this team to take a step forward, and you're relying on the idea that this gentleman is going to come in and be that starter that you're looking for. With some of the development stuff and some of the timing in which he's had experience or the lack of experience, that would give me pause just because you really ain't got time for your quarterback to be getting hit this year, especially with the loss of Tyring. So for me, I'm on the fence about it, but I do see the potential there. It's just like, baby, I don't know if we got time for potential right now.
Speaker 4: Well, and not to completely like turn the conversation back to Graham Barton again, but that's please.
Speaker 2: I know I would love for that.
Speaker 4: But the the the whole point about this tackle class is that there's a lot of question marks outside of those first couple names. Joe Walt no to Dame check, Olufashan open State check, Tali essay Uaga from Oregon State.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you sean thing you gotta s Yeah, I'm who didn't like Patrick tir Tan coming out always Tave's boring.
Speaker 2: You're that kind of game year.
Speaker 6: We'll circle back there.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, whenever you're talking.
Speaker 4: About these top tackle prospects, outside of those top three or four names, you've got question marks around almost every other tackle prospect.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're either moving positions.
Speaker 4: I know there's a move of a position for Graham Barton, maybe not so much for Jackson Powers Johnson as well, but it's a translatable thing to the NFL. That's different than sticking a guy at left tackle in Like Aysha's pointing out, you got to play immediately and you've got to be good immediately to protect that quarterback.
Speaker 3: So we do we get we got a lot of guys that we've seen most recently play on the rights, and you might be projecting them over to the left. Bobby out of the most realistic options, and I guess we learned with Ceedee lambfalling to seventeen, maybe everything's a realistic option. You don't know what's going to happen in the draft, But who do you think are the short list of Tackles that you would think the Cowboys would go for there at twenty four.
Speaker 9: I and you mentioning the Lamb scenario there, So we're just talking about who we think can like outside of a Lamb scenario.
Speaker 3: Outside of a Lamb scenario, and then maybe the one guy, because I certainly have one that if we did get a dream Lamb scenario, that I think would be a home run selection.
Speaker 10: I think Tackles.
Speaker 9: It's names we've kicked around a lot recently on the Draft show, Mems, Geiten, those two stand out right there, and then to me, I think the other one that we should be talking more about, and I think that there's a building awareness of him among Cowboys fans within the draft Muti is Kingsley Suamataiya from BYU.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm glad that you brought him up. Was a visit yesterday here, posted about it at the Star. I think he's better than the other two guys, Geidon and Mims. Would you agree or disagree?
Speaker 4: Felt ready better? Right, He's He's higher on my stack than both of those guys. Yeah, I could see it with Geiton, I don't know if I'm there with Mims. Mims has more.
Speaker 3: Again, I should say potential right upside ceiling.
Speaker 2: Is that chandelier right up there? But there's so many question marks.
Speaker 3: I think I know what I'm getting in Kingsley Suamati three hundred and ninety one pass naps and allow a single sack last year. You have seen him at both and I think at first I was a little critical. Does he open up his chest? Is he letting lineman get inside of him there? When it comes to the footwork, the athleticism, could he translate? Went back watching him a little bit more because he is a name that I think is starting to Hey, we need to know him here, Bobby. I think the guy can do it, and I think he's steady, and you know what he's getting. There's less of a projection to your point, Yeah, And.
Speaker 9: I mean, look, you you kind of referenced it there for all of the projection that we're talking about. Look, Kingsley Suwamatia is still is a raw football player in a lot of ways. But I think that, like you mentioned, we have seen a full season of right tackle snaps. We've seen most recently full season of left tackle snaps. You know that he adjusted well to those sort of things and this is look, this is where this this Cowboys scouting staff is so critical and they do such a good job.
Speaker 10: There was.
Speaker 9: So much hand ringing and disappointment and freaking out the night they picked Tyler Smith for a lot of people, and this was a staff that said, look, we've done the investigative work to understand who this player is and why he has the ability to progress forward and reach this despite all these flaws that you may see, we're comfortable with them doing this. So to me, I think that Kingsley Suamati is some of those same sort of issues that you see. It's a similar question with Tyler Smith, where if they're comfortable with what kind of a worker he is, how he takes the coaching things like that, I think he'd be a great pick because I think the upside really is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Well, in a shout out to the Cowboy Scouts, I mean, if they draft Alignment in the first round, they know what they're doing, so I'm not I mean, even if they were to take a guy in at Oklahoma who I'm not in love with and I think certainly has to bet on like which one of those guys, I don't think translates the best. I think Geiden's got a little bit more work to be done, but you see some traits there that you really like that I could see an offensive line coach say, Okay, bring him in. I can bold him and make him something good. What was the offensive tackle that would slide to you that would get you most excited.
Speaker 9: Bobby, I'm the guy that I would love to fall down to them. That the guy that would be my dream, and I just I don't see him getting own. There's just Troy Fatano from Washington. That's a guy to me that I think, no matter where you want to play him, however you want to use Tyler Smith, I think Troy Fatano can step in and be a above average NFL tackle or guard right away. And I think he's somebody who can be a Pro Bowl guard tackle in very short order. And so whichever direction you want to play him, if you can get him to slide down the border a little bit too, if you get some of these teams that like Fuagamore and fashion new guys like that, then and you can push him down. It's not as unrealistic to me heading into draft day as it felt like Ceedee Lamb was and that happened.
Speaker 3: Brian more realistic guy to slide. Is it Fuaga from Oregon State or is it Fatana? You think from Washington Patano? I think Fuaga. They've done a lot of a lot of leg work on too.
Speaker 2: To me, he was putting one of those guys that have kind of viewed as a possible trade up, you know, I know there was all the early mock drafts had him basically with the Jets at ten before you know, they made the deal with for Tyron Smith. I don't think that's going to keep the Jets from doing anything like that. But to me, Fuaga is the one. I mean, I got him second a second offensive tackle. On my board, Alt would be number one. But you know, I think it's really really interesting, uh when you when you start to talk about uh uh Fatano and what he could do and like, to me, there's a lot of just wow blocks with him. There are you know when you watch him, the power, the upper body strength. He had a little trouble in the USC game, and you always kind of look for the good competition with guys. You know, they got a little bit maybe a little bit better edge rushers and stuff like that was a little bit of a battle for him. The waste spending stuff was getting a little bit of a problem for him. But for a man that size, when you talk about six four, three hundred and seventeen pounds, the athletic ability has man. If he could somehow get to you, boy, that would be a big get for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do a little top three, because you guys know I love my top ten lists, so I want to go ahead and name I'll name my top three three round selections. If the Cowboys came away with this, I'm having a party on draft night.
Speaker 2: You guys can give me yours.
Speaker 3: If you like anything that I've done here, go ahead and share that with me, and then we can go ahead, maybe take some questions for those of you that want to ask us anything here on draft one on one.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you being here.
Speaker 3: I think you guys know obviously Graham Barton duke center twenty four, I'd be thrilled with. I am willing to take the risk at fifty six. Now I don't have the medical report, right, I think, talk to me, Peyton Wilson's the best linebacker in this draft.
Speaker 4: And instead of this in the wolf Pack or instead of that in the Texas Longhorns.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going Jonathan Brooks. No, no, I'm not going Jonathan Brooks. And the reason is is I think that there's a running back in the third round that I could get that I like quite a bit as well. And I think this one it's not that one because I think Trayvinsky's going to be off the board, but that's my RB one is Trey Benson. But I think Peyton Wilson. I think linebacker is more likely. Maybe a spot you've got to address in the second round, because I think running back.
Speaker 2: Stretches a little bit more to me in the third.
Speaker 3: Now, I could see the Cowboys one hundred percent going ahead and taking Jonathan Brooks out of Texas be a good pick. He's my running back too. I wouldn't be upset with it. But you need a linebacker. Peyton Wilson the tape when you turn it on, he's faring away the best in the draft. I don't think there's any question mark when it comes to rushing the passer, tackling in space, coverage ability. The questions are all the medical history. And in the second round, I mean we are in a building where they've taken some guys a medical history because the talent's just too darn good to pass up. This guy, though, has played two years of clean football, and I'm hoping that maybe that's behind him.
Speaker 2: I just him.
Speaker 3: I'd go ahead and say talent's too good to pass up. Edgerrian Cooper would be my other name out of A and M the linebacker there. I'd take them both ahead of Junior Golson out of Michigan. But at three, it's Jalen Wright, running back at A Tennessee. I love Jalen Wright, the explosiveness. I think he's gonna be a three down back. To me, he's fantastic, and I think he's probably one of the more underrated running backs in the drafts. Listen to Draft show, Bucky Irving, I know his Nicks guy. You know I love Jalen Wright. Brian, I know you're a fan as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah I am too. You know, if I had to look at my perfect draft, I think Powers Johnson, the center from Oregon, would be the guy that would take. I really do like Wilson a lot from and I've even I'm old enough to have scouted Luke Keigley when he played when he came out of Boston College. I think this kid has those kinds of traits. His ability to play down hill, the ability to cover, the ability to play sideline to sideline. The only thing holding him back is this injury history, you know, and again that's something, but I would absolutely love the opportunity to have him. What you did with the I like what you did with the running back though in the third round. Me personally like Lloyd the running back from USC a little bit better than right Alan Irbing. I think that there's going to be some value there with those guys. So to me, if you could, if you give me that that that killer at the at the center, a linebacker that will make every single tackle, and then a running back with some elusiveness, ability to catch the football, make people miss, kind of help your offensive line. So you think you're doing yourself some good work there.
Speaker 5: We're going dream scenario here, dreams, Okay, dreams, sell me on dreams. Well, my first round pick would be Troy Fatanu. Then that that would be I think see Lamb situation and here we go at twenty four. Yeah, it's it's unlikely, but that would be the dream scenario. Second round, I'm still going Jonathan Brooks. I I love what he did in his one season. I love what he'd do with his one season as a star with the Long Horns. I mean, you talk about contact balance, you talk about being able to fight through guys. He's still is elusive out of the backfield as well as a receiving option.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: They understand the medical reports in this building with the Cowboys team doctor performing the surgery on that ACL and like you said, there is no hesitance in this building when it comes to injury guys. So second round Jonathan Brooks, and then third round you would have to address that defensive tackle or linebacker position. For me, I'm going defensive tackle, and I would like to go McKinley Jackson there in the third round out of Texas A and m just a wide body that you can put at one tech and be able to fill those running lanes. Look, Mazzie Smith coming back next year. I don't think anyone really understands what's going to happen there. He lost a lot of weight towards the back end of the season last year. He's dealing with a shoulder injury going into the year. And as of right now, that's your only one tech. I feel like that has to be addressed in the first two days. Go ahead and get McKinley Jackson there in the third and hope that he can come in and at least provide a wide body. If Mazzi is not able to come onto the field or if he's not what they expected.
Speaker 2: When did you go Jackson in the third? Because you know that the one technique defensive tackles it's not deep at all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not deep at all.
Speaker 5: And I feel like I can get a linebacker there on day three where you can still have some really good value. We talk about guys like Jordan McGee out of Temple. That's an option that you could you could possibly throw out at linebacker. I'm trying to think of guys right off the top of my head. At Afonola Fohio out of Washington. I think he's another guy that you could you could get there on day three. So I think there's a little bit wall out of Kentucky. Yeah, I think he goes into the third, and I think that's probably the discussion you have.
Speaker 6: Do you want to go ahead and jump on tray Love.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan. I mean, if you don't take linebacker on the second, I'm iin Wallas in the third.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he brings a lot to the table.
Speaker 5: And you have to also understand, if you're picking there at eighty seven and there's no trades involved, you're not picking again until one seventy four late in the fifth round, So you're you'all can sleep in on day three. There's there's not gonna be a whole lot going on until that pick one seventy four if there's not a trade mate. So I want to make sure and I get a position where I know there's a bigger need, and for me, that's defensive tackle over line.
Speaker 2: Okay, if there's no trades. Though, to me, where I think Jackson from Texas A and M fits for you is if you do back up, if you get that extra Yeah, because you get that at high frigg. And I know if you watched the draft show that we did this morning, we went, we traded back and then we traded back up. So if you want to go back and kind of get an idea how the landscape might be for that, we did that this morning. But Yeah, to me, I think that Jackson is if you pick up that extra pick, you know, but man, he is a really good player for texting three hundred and twenty six pound guy that plays on the other side of the line of scrimmag.
Speaker 3: Yeah to me, I mean it's funny because you're talking about him as a one tech and that's the guy typically you think, like.
Speaker 2: What you drafted Mazie, Right, that's what kicking me in the butt, right, But what excites me the most.
Speaker 3: About McKinley Jackson is actually his disruptiveness up the field, right, Yeah, I mean he's got.
Speaker 2: Some pass rush ability for a one tech, Right, what about you, Bobby?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think Fittano is the dream at twenty four for me. I don't know how tainable it is, but look, I think that when you look at what was most wrong with this football team at the end of the year, like I think we would say that it was the running game on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 10: Who was stopping the run? It was being able to generate the running game.
Speaker 9: And then you know, you've got some peripheral traits that you would maybe talk about, like you want the glass eaters, you want the toughness, you want the guys with the edge on them, and so to me, I think Fatanu fits that on the offensive line. It's it's gonna be tough figuring out center. But I mean at that point the value would just be too high for me, So Fatanu there. And then in the second round it's Eddrian Cooper because I I do think that that's somebody who's a chance to be really special.
Speaker 10: And look, I know you've got a pass to.
Speaker 9: Absolutely and that's somebody who like a lot of times we see, you know, these hair on fire type of linebackers that have come out in recent years where we but we start watching them at times and it shows up in there a lot Brian and your reports too. A lot of times we end up describing these guys like, well they're guess or so like when when they gets the right, when they guess right, they hit it and it's impressive and when it gets wrong it's ugly. And I think that with Cooper, to me, I see a lot of natural instincts that the longer that he's in place, it doesn't mean that he's always in his run fits the right way, He misses, he over pursues at times, but I think the instincts overall are really good. And and you know, with Eric Kendricks being here for probrobably just a year, I think that overshown and Cooper is a dou It would be great. And then in the third round you're looking at a running back. I mean, I could say dream and say pray everybody is scared away by Jonathan Brooks's knee, but I'm not gonna cheat. So instead I'll say oddric Estime from Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: I Guestime.
Speaker 3: That's another name that we haven't talked about a ton and he's a good player.
Speaker 10: And that's it.
Speaker 9: I mean, for those of you that aren't familiar with adrog Estimate from Notre Dame, this is not going to be a Tony Pollard replacement.
Speaker 3: No, that's a downhill between the tackles I'm gonna run you over.
Speaker 9: But I mean that's something that they could use. Is they could use physicality, they could use toughness, they could use that edge in the running game. And so to me, you remember a couple of years ago in the Tyler Smith draft that seemed to be a big folks for them to like, let's identify toughness as a trait and include that in our prioritization, and I think that they're kind of back to that spot again. I think if you get those three, you're getting three really tough players who really help set the tone in the run game on both sides.
Speaker 4: You could look at these first three picks and there's a lot of names that have been circling that have those medical red flags. I know Peyton Wilson we talked about extensively, Jackson Powers, Johnson has some medical concerns. Jonathan Brooks. In my dream, there's no hurt guys, none of that. I don't want any medical red flags in my first three picks. So I'm gonna go with Graham Barton early. I think Graham Barton is shoulder training camp, it's been passed, we're fine, everything's good. But yes, I'm gonna have Graham Barton as ze first pick. Overall, the dream continues with Edgrin Cooper and for the same thing there, I'm dreaming of the world where Demarvin Overshown and Edgering Cooper on the field together and interchangeable back and forth, tons of link, tons of athleticism, pass rush ability, and really that sideline, the sideline that you've been missing, and a physicality you've been missing at the second level, and a guy that hasn't had the same injury history as a guy like a Peyton Wilson.
Speaker 2: As fun as Wilson's tape is.
Speaker 4: To watch to watch, I'm still worried overall about what he can bring speed the third one.
Speaker 2: My dream is still alive, though.
Speaker 3: I think Trey Benson does fall a little bit further with early, and I've got Benson higher than right. I'd love it if you were there, I'd take Benson over.
Speaker 4: And here's here's the reason why this is not one of those running back classes with b John Robinson. This isn't a running back class with Jimi or Gibbs. This isn't that same level of class. We're talking about Jonathan Brooks, who barely has an a c L that's up front early, and you're still trying to talk about him being the pick at fifty six.
Speaker 3: I should thought that you thought I had ride it too no one way down to the I was afraid Benson's my one, Brooks is my two.
Speaker 7: Do you think he's gonna fall all the way down to No?
Speaker 2: I don't. In kyle'sa it is a dream scenario.
Speaker 4: I think it's possible the running back position isn't valued as much as he used to.
Speaker 2: Be, and I think there's an opportunity for these guys to fall. I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't know that he falls all the way down to them in the third round. I would be very surprised at this point if Trey Benson went in the first two.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, But with that being said, if I don't, I can be optimistic about this.
Speaker 9: I mean, I like Trey Benson. I have him in the second, but I do I would be surprised if he in the first two round.
Speaker 4: You've got Braylan Allen sitting there too, and you talk about a physical runner and a guy that could be that back and forth, that downhill between the facles. I like Allan out of Wisconsin as my backup scenario. If Benson isn't there and I still need to take a running back in the third, okay, I would probably just go with Ray Davis so the Kentucky and talked them down.
Speaker 2: What do you got an issue?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 8: So are we agreeing that if Talise Fuaga fall to fail to you, you're just gonna move him to the other side to left?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 12: Oh, Okay, so we're dreaming. So yeah, we're dreaming as far as I mean. I've also heard there's some guard love. There's tell you there's some guard love from scouts. Don't stress me out, just say it.
Speaker 10: Just want to go out.
Speaker 8: Just let me go.
Speaker 6: Get a little bit more complex.
Speaker 2: But only we're playing Madden. That's what we're doing now.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: First round pick, I think Talis.
Speaker 8: He just comes in and his temperament is just he's a tone setter, and I think that's something that you're looking for on your offensive line. It wasn't that many times I saw a bat snaps from him, I don't know about, y'all. And just how quickly he can get to the second second level, to the second level, like we talked about, is important to me as well. So I would go with him for my first round pick. For my second round pick, I decided, y'all that if if they not going to address DT, then they just need to score a whole bunch of points.
Speaker 2: So for me, I I would like Ricky PIERSO, look at you, Okay, look at you. I was going to ask the question, nobody picked a wide receiver. Everybody.
Speaker 4: Nobody thought about a receiver in the first two. I'm so proud of you right now.
Speaker 7: I'm only doing it.
Speaker 8: I'm only doing it because I I just think that he could be a really good addition to this, uh, this offense. Do some things underneath? Is the route running is there from him? He's really smooth in and out of his brakes. But then also too, you look at Brandon Cooks. Yeah, he's here for another year, but you you need to be trying to plan for the future a little bit. That wide receiver corps after Brandon Cooks. I mean there's there's still Jayling tober, but we're still seeing wait for him to take a step up as well.
Speaker 7: So for my third round pick'm uh uh, Brian already said it.
Speaker 8: I think Marshawn Lloyd out of USC will be a fantastic addition to this backfield runs with some toughness. I like his vision and how he's able to slash and things like that. So at this point, if you're not going to touch DT early, then let's just score a whole bunch of points in offense.
Speaker 6: Offense.
Speaker 4: Offense absolutely sit the return of team forty Burger or is that what we're doing?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, somebody who something the draft.
Speaker 2: To fans out there know that they got that, and I'm heavy on DT.
Speaker 8: I think, like I know, Bobby feels very strongly about the fact that, hey, you already you did.
Speaker 2: That last year, but you want to take a DT.
Speaker 7: Bobby, he doesn't want to take one early early.
Speaker 2: Like I understand that.
Speaker 9: Look, you you you gave up a fourth round pick. You have not really done anything in free agency. You've signed two outside free agents, right, Royce Freeman the running back, and then you went and got Eric Hendricks. You've lost four defensive linemen. So I understand, like you do need defensive line help everything else. But when you're talking about what can you afford to do right now, what is not only within your budget like financially, but what's within your budget in terms of capital. To me, last year they had a very passionate argument. We all saw the miked up segment and like we've heard the discussion about it, there was a very passionate argument about Matthew Berger on the offensive lineman or Mazzie Smith the defensive tackle. And they made their commitment twelve months ago. We were twelve months removed from them saying this is a first round player. This is somebody we're willing to take over a premium position an offensive line.
Speaker 10: This is what we're going to do.
Speaker 9: So with so many legitimate holes until you figure out where Tyler Smith is playing, until you settle on that, you currently have three holes in terms of starting positions on your offensive line. You've got holes in the linebackers, you know, the edge rusher's got a lot of holes with depth. To me, one of the areas where you can't sacrifice right now is say, we've got to be able to trust that OsO Degeizua is going to continue to be a great three technique and the guy we graded as a top fifteen player or whatever it was a year ago. We need to bank on that evaluation, trust the evaluation, and we need to trust this new coaching staff that we brought in to bring that out of him, because that at least you have something to bank on right now with offensive line and other positions on the field, it's like, well, you don't even have anything to hope for because there's not a player there right now.
Speaker 10: It's empty.
Speaker 9: And so I just want I understand if it was a if you had six picks in the first three rounds, you had this wealth of draft capital, I'd be all four.
Speaker 10: Taking a defensive tackle as well.
Speaker 9: It's just with the limited resources, is that the most efficient use for a team that needs to win right now?
Speaker 3: What about you bring a wide receiver maybe sneaky need. I think I could make the same argument for corner. What do you have right now behind Digs and Bland and Lewis sure that you feel good about But Eric Scott Junior, they did move up and draft. Now you got a different defensive coaching staff in there. I mean you have and you're banking on Digs coming back from an injury, and we've seen sometimes that doesn't always go as you had hoped. Uh, there's some good corners that you could take from rounds two through four. Maybe it's a TJ. Tampa at Iowa State. Maybe it's Kyrie Jackson out of Oregon. You know, maybe there's a slot guy that you like, Jerry and Jones out of Florida State you could take early day three.
Speaker 2: I mean, would would corner come into your mind at all?
Speaker 13: Here?
Speaker 2: Brian? It's such a deep position right now. It's kind of like the wide receiver thing. You know, you mentioned Jackson, and I know that my colleague here. We our young man out of Oregon. We kind of thought about it and he's an alpha. We kind of thought about him as maybe a third round guy. Now he's at the bottom of the first You know, there's this you know, a guy with length, sticky ability. That's what Mike Zimmer. Mike and I go way way back. I've worked with Mike. I know what Mike wants in a corner. He wants a guy that's got some length to him. He wants guys that are five to eleven or better. He's wants guys that are sticky, kind of man cover type ability, uh to that, you know, interchangeable safeties. There's a lot of things that Mike really really desires. But that corner back, the position of it is so deep, but there's so many different body types there. So to me, again, I like what I U should do with the wide receiver because it's a little bit different. It's a little bit out outside the box. And I love Ricky Piersaw by the way, that's one of my favorite players. But to me, though, I think I could wait a little bit on the corner, you know, if I had to, Because when I'm stacking my board. I'm down. I've got two hundred and fifteen players. I'm at player one forty two. I can't tell you how many how hard it's been for me to kind of put these corners in spots because you want to give them their due, you know, you want to say, Okay, this guy's got this, this guy, and then you kind of clump them together. You're like, man, does that seem right? And you're going, yeah, that's so. I kind of feel like though, that in this draft, they're going to look at some other positions. Maybe the receivers are the same way, but the cornerback is something I feel like that they could look at through the whole draft and probably grab somebody they're really really happy with. That might be the ext ron Bland.
Speaker 9: I'm curious when you look at the fact that they don't have a fourth round pick right now. Let's say they stand in pick in the first three rounds and so they don't pick again until the fifth round. Receiver corner, that's where everybody feels most comfortable that.
Speaker 10: You've got it.
Speaker 2: That maybe edge in the baby edge.
Speaker 9: So in the fifth round you say edge receiver corner, that that's a position you think you might be able to still have a fourth round graded player there when you pick in the fifth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, receiver, receiver, I think corner, yeah yeah, receiver, corner edge might be one of those guys that were one of those positions where you say, okay, if you had a fourth round pick and you're sleeping on your board going into day three, you might even have a third round grade on some of those guys.
Speaker 2: But when you get into that that that fifth round pick was at one seventy one, there might be a fourth round player still on your board.
Speaker 3: All right, do we have questions here for draft one on one? We'll open it up to questions. We have the mic right over here. If you want to go, step up, go ahead to introduce yourself, tell us your name, where you're from, and uh, we're here to answer whatever you got.
Speaker 10: Hello. My name's Aaron Thacker.
Speaker 6: I'm from Sherman, Texas.
Speaker 14: And my question would be, if you have like later round picks, like your fifth and sixth, would you possibly And again I don't know enough about like the compensation thing, so that's why I'm asking this, would you be able to use that to trade up to get that fourth round pick that you're missing, so that way you could do that, or would you have to like get give up next year's capital as well to do that.
Speaker 10: That's my question, thank y'all.
Speaker 2: What do you, Bobby, what do do you know, like trade char wise or pile? Do you have that up? Yeah, I've got the trade jar right here.
Speaker 4: So pick one seventy four is worth twenty two points ultimately to try and move up. And you've got a couple picks after one seventy four, but that's the highest value pick outside of the top one hundred. The most you could move up from pick one seventy four, and it's still be able if even if you package the rest of your draft, the earliest you would even get close to is.
Speaker 2: About pick one twenty. That's about all you've got, So it.
Speaker 4: Would most likely to your point, if you're going to move up at some point and try and finagle that fourth round pick back into your possession, you're gonna do it using next year's draft capital, either a third or a fourth try and package maybe with one seventy four one of those other later picks in.
Speaker 2: Order to move up and try and get back in that fourth round.
Speaker 5: And I think there's an interesting point to make there as far as next year's draft capital is concerned, just because the one benefit to losing a million free agents, it says you might get a million compicks, so you might be able to package a couple of those next year with the.
Speaker 2: Expectations that Day three is going to be a blast.
Speaker 6: Now yeah here, oh man, Day three, we're gonna we're ten picks.
Speaker 10: It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: When you when you look at the trading up and trading backs, the pick the picks from, Like if you go back to Tampa at twenty six, you would pick up their one twenty five, which is a fourth round pick, such a two spot move for four if you did a trade with the Arizona at twenty seven. So I'm just going down what we did this morning. You pick up pick one thirty eight and pick one sixty two from Arizona. Those are two fives. What we did this morning is we took those two fives and we tried to go up back up into the into the into the draft and then and had some options there we went to let's see where we went to there. We went from the after the Arizona trade, when we pick up the two fives, we took pick one thirty eight, one sixty two, one seventy four, which was our own all fifth round picks, and we tried to take that thing all the way to the chargers at one oh five. The chargers got two picks in the fourth So what you could do is you could take if you made a deal with Arizona, if you made it do with Arizona, you could you can move those two fifth round picks with your own fifth round pick and move that thing all the way up to try and get into the the one oh five to one to ten range. So that's how you would get your four uh, if you wanted to do that, But it's gonna cost you your the the two picks you got, the two fifth round picks, push your own fifth round pick.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that that's when you're talking about trying to get into the fourth round. If you want to go get into the fourth round. I don't know how much you are. Teams aren't going to let you in there all the time. Yeah, And I don't know how much you want to sacrifice to move up, Like I think it is gonna have to be an instance where you move back, because I mean, we're sitting here lamenting the loss of a fourth round pick and that could be a real value to them, and talking about giving up extra capital. I understand it's later day through, but you're talking about giving up extra capital or future capital. And at that point you're kind of chasing your tail trying to catch those picks back a little bit. And so to me, I think that if you're gonna get up into the fourth round, it's gotta be you're moving back somehow in the first or second and finding somebody who will give you that extra pick.
Speaker 4: BUTTERI you want to trade with this Kansas City. Kansas City and Buffalo are the two that I think are the most likely. Well, if they need a wide receiver, both teams need to go up and get a guy.
Speaker 2: It's funny because if you look at and the way in the NFL what we do is each each selection has a value of points, and when you start to trade with the teams behind you, if you make trades would say Tampa Bay there, your total points would be four oh two. That's the highest you could get by just moving back two spots and picking up that fourth your point total goes to four oh two. Arizona's trade would be the next highest at four hundred. Buffalo's at four hundred, the Baltimore trade is at three ninety seven. San Francisco's trade is at three ninety and then but Kansas City's at four oh one. So if you were willing to go from twenty four to thirty two, you would get the best value for your trade is if you went all the way back to Kansas City and picked up there and picked up there there, because what they're offering you is offering you pick ninety five, which is a third round pick and pick one thirty three, which is a fourth So now you're doing some good right there. That would give you pick thirty two, pick fifty six, pick eighty seven, pick ninety five, pick one thirty one, pick one seventy four, pick two sixteen, pick two thirty three, pick two forty four. Now we're doing some damage here, you know. Now we're now we're making our team a little bit better. But do you have the stomach to go from twenty four to thirty two? That's what you have to That's what they're going to have to determine in this room, you know, and you don't want to trade. We we gave scenarios of guys that we would take at twenty four, and I think we're all committed to those guys. Yeah so or yeah, I think you're more open to that. That's what I'm saying. How committed are you when somebody like Kansas City calls you and offers you a third and a fourth to come down to their spot. You know that's that's that that tests your metal in that room, whether you're willing to trade away from a guy you really like to pick up a couple extra picks.
Speaker 5: Martin Fatanu Fluaga. All those guys are off the board. You're sitting there at twenty four. Mems are still on the board, Latham is still on the board. You're getting on the phone and going to thirty two. Yeah, I'd probably be open to moving back. Probably what did you think there?
Speaker 9: I was just say, and I mean thirty two. If that's a drop, you're gonna have trouble stomaching, Brian. You really don't want to drop to thirty six?
Speaker 10: I guess no.
Speaker 9: Nick was trying to talk me in today. But with that Commanders, it's it's an exact trade value chart match. If you go back to thirty six, you can get seventy eight from them, which they've got three picks in the third round. Yeah, I mean that's an exact point. Can match up if you want to. If you want to get let me tell you what I did. Let me tell you what we did today on the show. We took the Kansas City trade ninety five and one thirty one, and we shoved that thing up to the Vegas Raiders.
Speaker 2: Nick got seventy seven.
Speaker 7: Nick convinced us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so see, you could take you could take the third round pick, that fourth round pick you get, and if you want to go to the Vegas Raiders at seventy seven and get back into this thing, or you want to take it to Washington at seventy eight, So you could do some things. You could get creative. You could even take trade you made with Baltimore and San Francisco and go into the second round if you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if that's the scenario, we can draft Ricky Piersoll, We can draft a wide receiver, if.
Speaker 2: We can get some pace here and make it work. Yeah, you got to not get the anytime.
Speaker 6: We sneak Mickinley Jackson in there too, that's too much.
Speaker 2: You're asking too much here. It's a lot. Now you enjoyed the thunder all right? On next draft question, it's Chris from Wiley. I'm gonna go first direction here.
Speaker 13: Let's just say, you know, the Cowboys have been very quiet this offseason. Let's just say they decide they want to get a little aggressive. And let's say all six quarterbacks that you know everybody's talking about. Let's say there's a run of quarterbacks in the first before the Cowboys draft. What player would you guys be We all know the Cowboys need as many draft picks as they can, but what player would you guys be comfortable for them to move up?
Speaker 5: Ms Fogga, Falton.
Speaker 2: Either one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think those would be the two names. Now it depends on I mean, you might need to move up and go get Barton if he's your guy. With with how this thing's looking, you guys, that wouldn't cost you nearly as much.
Speaker 4: You'd have to get up into the late teens as opposed to maybe top fifteen.
Speaker 2: But you're really going you never know.
Speaker 3: In Philadelphia has a contingency plan in place to play a center with Kelsey retiring, but you also have seen a history of your division rival with Dallas Goddard where Philadelphia'll say, yeah, we like this guy and we're gonna take him, just to stick it to the Cowboys. If the Eagles took Barton at twenty two, I might throw up, what about Steelers at twenty or another team? Right the Dolphins at nineteen?
Speaker 4: I will say, Graham Barton just sounds like a Pittsburgh Steelers name, Like I just it does sound like that. So he would look good in the yellow and black. He'd look better in blue and silver wood. But I agree with you. I think if you're going to go up and get a guy, it's gonna cost you a lot to go get the fuagas, to go get the fatanus. And as much as that sounds fun, if they're sliding in the late teens, let's let's play around with the idea. But go get a guy if you feel like it, and if you're wanting to be aggressive, go get them if if you have the capital to do so.
Speaker 2: I just don't necessarily think they have the capital to do so. I'll be.
Speaker 10: Like, I'm just I'm reverse to moving up.
Speaker 3: Well, But so the Cowboys, though, seem to be too. They haven't moved up since Moke label.
Speaker 9: That's why to me, like you're gonna have to get some I mean, you're gonna have to get a a Laramie tunsil problem or something and push like Joe Alt down the board like before I'm gonna go up.
Speaker 2: He's got the guess I want to say, you think it's.
Speaker 9: Something like like I mean Latham maybe, like I mean, I really there's I like, even these guys that I like Latham and Alton, stuff like tackle like likely will stretch quality down to you at twenty four?
Speaker 10: Is it enough that I want to go up and get it?
Speaker 2: But that's the thing that the guys around the league are talking about right now, is that all the offense when you're sitting there at twenty four, and we again talked about this on the Draft Show today, you're sitting at twenty four and all these offensive players are going off the board, where's the offensive player for me at twenty four? I mean, Dallas best player on the board might be a defensive player at twenty four or no, and not to say they would take him, but if you look at all these quarterbacks going, all these offensive tackles going, some of these wide receivers going, the best player on the board might be a defensive player for this team. Now will they take him? I'm not saying they will, but yeah, well there you go back. But there you go. I've been in a draft room with these guys and the phone hasn't run. Trust me.
Speaker 4: I dropped on my knees one time praying that the phone would ring. Please, yeah, please ring? This their video of this?
Speaker 2: What's that? Their video of that? I wish there was. But seriously, you the room, the room gets like deathly quiet and like you you're just you're praying. And because you've laid the groundwork with all these guys, I mean, you've talked all these teams and told them, hey, listen, we're open. Come on, come up to us. We'll trade you. Come. But you know, you look what happened in the in the draft with with with the Travis Frederick. They blew the hatch and bailed with eighteen picks down or eighteen thirty one. Yeah, and you know, sometimes you don't get the value on that. Should you've got a second round on that when second round, well they took a third. Sometimes when you blow the hatches like that, you don't get the value of your pick.
Speaker 4: How late would you be willing to go down what's the last the last pick you'd be willing to ditch out of the first thirty eight?
Speaker 6: Thirty eight is where thirty.
Speaker 3: Eight I was gonna say, Bobby. Scenario with thirty six is that the commanders. It is the commanders, Yes, Dan Quinn, and that would make me. That would make me nervous as well. But I think you can maybe cross your fingers and hope. Like Zach Fery, do you feel like you could get the BYU tackle at thirty six?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, I think so too. I think so thank you'll be I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think if they're a run on tackles like you're talking about, I don't think Kingsley, Sua Matias last until thirty six.
Speaker 5: I think one of these three guys would be available, Sue Matia, Jordan Morgan, Tyler Guiden three would be available there.
Speaker 2: It depends on what they think Jordan Morgan is. Do they think is he a guard?
Speaker 3: And if so, if Tyler Smith playing tackle right, then Tyler plays tackle. And you feel good about Morgan at guard, you'll let bas and Hoffman I or maybe you take it center later.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's hund Nordals. I don't know if they take Morgan.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we're talking enough about him, because if he is viewed as a guard, it's the same scenario as an interior offensive lineman like Barton and Jackson and.
Speaker 2: The JC Latham conversation I had, I had, I had a scout in the league, not a cowboy scout, a scout in the league. I asked him about Latham. I said, do you think he could play left tackle? And he says, no, I don't. I think he's a right tackle. But I think he's an All Pro guard. He's made. That's That's what I mean. That guy, this this guy that scouts the Southwest area for a team, and he says, I don't think he could play left tackle, but I bet she's an All Pro guard.
Speaker 8: I do want to ask, I mean, what do you want to come on? Okay, yeah, I do want to ask. You mentioned that we haven't mentioned Jordan Morgan that much. I feel like at the start of the draft he was everybody was talking about him.
Speaker 7: What was the What shifted? Was it the combine?
Speaker 5: I think for a lot of people length, the length is a little concerning to a lot of people. That's probably where you start to slot him in at guard instead. But for me, durable tons of experience forty plus games, yes, didn't allow a lot of sacks, really good and pass pro really good to run blocking. Does he do anything exceptional? Probably not, But I think he does everything pretty damn well. I think he's an all round type player that can play guard at the next level and be good at doing it. Look, I am team Tyler Tyler Smith at left guard, but if they were to draft Jordan Morgan, I think he'd be great at left guard and Tyler Smith left.
Speaker 10: And I would say this, I don't.
Speaker 9: I think most of the time, whenever there's a discussion of when we're trying to figure out, you know, what changed or other things like that, I think a lot of the times it's we catch up to where media scout teams are. I don't think teams have cooled on Jordan Morgan. I think teams have if he like I mean, if he goes to the second round. I think tams Alway viewed him in the second round, and there there was probably discussion that was putting him more up in the first that teams were like, no, we don't necessarily agree with that. So I think very rarely is there like a strong push for a guy like that or or a big change of opinion. I think a lot of times it's just we're catching up to where teams are aut with.
Speaker 4: I watched him block a lot two from UCLA, made him go to the other side, his adjustments, like, I've had enough of this guy killing me all day. I think I'm gonna go to the other side.
Speaker 2: He'll find a way to beat our guy standing on one foot.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's his balance is let me go to you with the freshman from Scottsdale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, I'm gonna switch sides, all right, Yes, sir, what do you have for us?
Speaker 15: Hey, Allen from Joshua, Texas. I'm just saying I'm tired of our defense, the ball getting ran down their throat and the biggest games. I don't know if it's fixable in one draft, but or Zimmer is going to change things.
Speaker 10: But that's me, man.
Speaker 15: I know we need offensive tackle, but the defense and the run game, you know, the run defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, we get it. We're here for you.
Speaker 3: I know you've Brian, You've made this assessment where I think we think a lot of the time stopping the run is okay. I need to get big bodies in the middle, and they do. They need to add size, and they thought they were doing so with Mosley safeties at Linebacker's tough, right, And I'm still hopeful that Mozzy ends up being a good player. You can't give up on a guy based on one year, don't It's just you took it out in the first round for a reason, right, So it.
Speaker 2: Didn't go well.
Speaker 3: You hope you're too He develops and he's got a guy in Mike Zimmer who certainly has done a great job developing defensive tackles throughout his career. But do you think that more of the issue? And Brian and then I want to get your thoughts Bobby, and we can kick it around. Is it that they are really that weak at defensive tackle? Is it more so the undersized linebackers or is it the constant issue they seem to always have as well with being able to set the edge consistently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think setting the edge is a big issue. I know we focus a lot on inside and what you know, Hankins and those guys were, but you know, Golston, I mean when I saw and I was working on the draft with Golston coming out of Iowa. I thought he was a Tank Lawrence type player when he would be able with the pass rush and then the ability to play the run. There were times in those Big Ten games you couldn't see the ball go outside of him. I feel sorry for the guy. They play him at tackle, they play him in, they play him and tackled in. It reminds me of Tyron Crawford. They can't find a spot for the guy, and all of a sudden, now you you know he's he's gone by the wayside, and you maybe waste a little bit of a guy there. But I think when you start to talk about the edge, you know they missed the guys like with the Layton vander Esher's and the Shawn Leaves, the guys that can run downhill, the guys that could fill the safeties that could fill they kind of figured out a little bit with digs. You know that you could run the ball on the outside there with digs, and with digs come up and play you and force the corner. You know, you need alley players, you need forced players, you need edge players.
Speaker 3: They were a little bit weak in all those areas, Bobby, one area that you fought for is safety. Do you think some of this can be remedied bot at Washington State kid? Yeah, Hicks Jayden Hicks Absolutely. I mean he's seeking Mitchell out there. Do you think some of this could be remedied more so since you're not into tackle when it comes to the second and third level, taking a linebacker, taking a safety.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So, I mean, I guess it comes down to when you see the Cowboys struggle and run defense, why, like, like, when you look at it, what is the issue? Like in years past, their issue was you know, during the christ of Charter, they were always coached like how fast they needed to play and a lot of times they got caught and over pursuit they would leave these massive angles where guys could cut back. That that was a problem that they were into at different times. Is this a talent problem? Is it a problem with you know guys in terms of their ability to read and react. Is it like you know, a size issue, like there there are these different things that you have to says, I don't think that when you look at how the Cowboys have addressed defensive tackle in recent years. Jonathan Hankins, Neville Gallimore, Quintin Bohanna, like, just different guys like this. That size hasn't always been the problem, like I mean, it's there are other problems with run fits and reeds and keys and everything else like that.
Speaker 10: So to me, I look at it and say, you need to get better.
Speaker 9: Obviously along the defensive line, linebackers, safeties like that, that's all stuff that that has to happen. To me, they are before they worry about depth or anything else, they have to figure out who is starting. So I'd love a safety that can, you know, like Jane Nicks, who can do what he does. I love Eddrian Cooper. I'd love to have him in here. Love to have a defensive tackle like McKinley Jackson if you have the capital to spend on that.
Speaker 2: What Yeah.
Speaker 10: And to me though, it's that the reason why I saw it the other way.
Speaker 2: If he just three hundred and sixty pounds not getting blocked and there's daring atch the four look at it, I'll look the other way. Just okay, just keep keep playing in there.
Speaker 9: Steven Stephen Jones said, you know, this week, maybe in last week, I can't remember, but Stephen Jones said that they are going to play Mazzie Smith more like what he was used to doing at Michigan. Yeah, and and so that right there, if you're gonna peck that out, you've already made the analysis of what type of a player he can be. You've got coaches that you believe in, and you want to have, you know, bring that out of him. And so to me, I think that if you're gonna set him somewhere, he's more comfortable and he gets here too, and the conditioning is better and everything else, I think that that's something that you have to be able to bank on, like of all the things they can't bank on, Like, I don't know why it would be a prioritization to say, well, I can't bank on my first rounder, but I can bank on the undrafted free agent center.
Speaker 2: No, you have to you have to bank on Mazie.
Speaker 9: And to me, that so for me, I recognize fixing the run defense in a lot of ways will have to come from fixing depth at all three levels. To me, the most immediate need to fix your run defense in terms of talent that you've assessed, you need a linebacker. Is there a linebacker that I would take in the first round. No, And so to me, it's the defensive side of the ball. Is not even really a question for me in the first round.
Speaker 4: To that or I think he said it perfectly because you hear about this all the time. Whenever it comes to building your offensive line, you build it from the inside out. You build it from center, and you go out to tackle, and you work that way from a roster building standpoint. Nate Newton says that all the time whenever we're talking about adding some roster stuff on the opposite side. You build from the front to the back. You build from your defensive line, you win in the trenches, then you add to the second level and you go to the backside. I don't think the Cowboys are horrific at safety. Now, is there room to improve? Absolutely, you can improve anywhere on that defense, especially against the run, like this gentleman was talking about a moment ago. If you're able to give some help to those linebackers at the second level, that's when I start building confidence in stopping the run. So I think a big defensive tackle can help. I think banking on Mazie and seeing him go back to what he did best at Michigan which was stop the run, clog up the middle, and not try this pass rush stuff that obviously didn't work as a rookie. I think Bobby's onto something here of building your team from the forward part to to the secondary and making it work from there strong up the middle.
Speaker 5: Let me ask really quick, if Mazie Smith is not ready for the start of the season, or he gets hurt at some point in the season, who's your one tech. Carl Davis Carl Davis practice squad for most of the year last year.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've moved Chauncey back and forth of one hundred times. You just throw him inside and see what happened.
Speaker 8: I would hope not they would put so he's put him back at his home edge rusher edge. I wanted to add really quickly. I wanted to add about you know, being able to set the edge. I do think it's going to be important for them to find an edge that is opposite of tank, that's disciplined, because we've just seen teams attack you there and have a lot of success there, and a lot of time when they when teams were running the ball on the Cowboys, it was bouncing to the outside. It wasn't just running up the interior, and with how teams are trying to attack those angles, it's going to become more of an issue. I've even talked about this draft is and the DM position as a whole is like it's really this or that with a lot of these guys. If you find an edge in the draft that's willing to rush the passer but also can stop the run at a high clip and really stay square and do it, then it's a luxury at this point. So edge is in need as well, A serious wonder that we probably should talk about a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more.
Speaker 7: Chop Robinson.
Speaker 2: To get off right. He does not want to shop Robinson.
Speaker 3: Shop Robinson will blow up the play and then he will not make the tackle or he will not finish the sack. But goodness gracious, the way he gets off the snap is insane.
Speaker 4: I think I'm done limiting Penn State linebackers or edge rushers coming out of college.
Speaker 2: I think I'm done waiting on that one. You know, this Michigan thing, we got a line developing here.
Speaker 3: I like this where we're going, all right, Zach Waldough, Oh it's up man, I'm glad you came.
Speaker 16: I appreciate it. Man, I'm bringing up a talk. We talked a lot about it in private.
Speaker 2: You know, I hate.
Speaker 16: Limiting Jordan Morgan to the interior. I was like, I've seen this guy with people that these other tackles haven't been able to whoop. I was like, I've seen Tyler guiding not being able to finish in the run game, consistently not playing.
Speaker 2: With leverage, even though I know he's a big dude.
Speaker 16: Sure, I was like, but you know, I've been against really tall tackles for a variety of reasons. That's one of the big reasons. I was like, this guy is the perfect size for the for the position. If a guy knows how to play with his hands, play with leverage, play with k me band, has the foot quickness, this guy could play tackle. But I go back to this team's done a lot of work with Jordan Morgan. I mean, we talked about it. I remember I brought it up to you in January. Sure, they asked him, was like, who's the team that you talked to the most throughout the bar says He named four teams, Arizona remember Arizona being one of them, but the Cowboys were one of them. He's like, they talked to me. We've talked a lot throughout the present.
Speaker 2: This was January. We go to the combine.
Speaker 16: Nick you had asked him about the Cowboys and he brought up the versatility of left tackle and right tackle, not necessarily guard.
Speaker 2: So I was like, we keep trying to limit him to the guard.
Speaker 16: And then they went to his pro day him Baltimore and the Jets spent a lot of time with him before all the work out. They have to stop the workout just because how much time they were spending with them pre pre all the other positional drills. That's just like for me, it was like I'm just banging that. This is me banging the table for sure, staying on the table. This guy can come in. He's gonna be a lot better than a lot of the guys are going to be drafted ahead of them, and I just have a sick fill and we're gonna pass on them, and he's gonna end up in Washington, who's doing.
Speaker 2: Their own homework on them, or San Francisco or San Francisco, and we're gonna watch him be a stud over there. That's my only thought there.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate it. Well, but Brian, did he sell you anymore on Jordan Morgan? I know you were a fan of him early on as well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate him, by the way, I got lunch for you for that that speech you just made, right, Walda puts in the bark. Yeah, I do, I owe you for that one. No, I think I issue was right. We talked about this when the Draft show was rolling very early. Uh, this was a guy that Jordan Morgan was, you know, a guy that we watched very early. And I think you're right. There's a lot of qualities about but there's probably some things that you know, with Mike Salari the line coach, it's different with every line coach. You know, he has a certain type of way that he wants to play hands feet length. All these things are things that these offensive line coaches they go around, they kind of get their guys, and you know, Jordan Morgan might not fit exactly what they're looking for right now once they get them all together. I think he's a hell of a player and I think he made a great passionate speech. If we were in a war room, I would say you did your job today. He really did. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think Jordan Morgan is in play in a trade back scenario, and that would be a Tyler Smith that tackle Morgan at guard, and then you still got to figure out center. But I mean, Nick, you were boots on the ground there at the combine. Did you get a vibe from Jordan Morgan a little twinkle in his eye when the Cowboys came up?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's like most teams, it's kind of tough to tell at the combine because they're doing thirty two job interviews and some guys can't even decipher one from the other. But I think with Jordan Morgan, not only did they do homework on him at the Combine, they did it at the Senior Bowl, so they understand this guy. They understand what he can bring to the table. I think it's uh. I think it's an expectation of you know what you're getting whenever he arrives in the building, And that is different than if you get an Amarusmims or if you get a Tyler Guidon. You don't quite know exactly what you're getting from those guys. But also at the same on the same token, you asked yourself, Okay, what does this player look like? In four years from now when I'm thinking about this fifth year option, is a Tyler Guiden or a Marius Smims going to develop at a trajectory that puts them way above Jordan Morgan by that time. You also have to be able to be comfortable not only your scouting but your development in that same sense.
Speaker 9: I also, and look, I think Jordan Morgan's a good player. I think that, you know, I think he can absolutely play tackle. But I think the idea of saying that if teams were to say he's primarily a guard, I don't think, especially in today's NFL, where so much of it is get the ball out quickly and a gap pressure is such a big deal. I don't know that talking about somebody's at their guard that that teams would think of that as limiting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's a negative anything.
Speaker 9: I think that teams view that as that's a valuable part of the offensive line and it's part of an entire unit that they're trying to build. I also think that it's important to when we hear the discussions that the Cowboys have when it's like, hey, they talked to him here, they talk to him here, they talk to him here. Yes, a lot of times that can indicate they really like him. Also at other times it can indicate we have to figure him out because we're not comfortable with things. Sure, And so I think that whenever you see that, it can mean one or the other. It doesn't have to mean that they're not comfortable things. It doesn't have to mean that they're in love with them. But I think that when you see a lot of attention paid to a player a lot of different meetings, I think a lot of times they're saying to themselves, we need to get answers here that maybe we're not comfortable with yet.
Speaker 4: And I mean you can even look whenever we put together this Dallas Cowboys Draft guide, which is beautiful and you should all get it, we tend to put guys on the front that we have a feeling that could be the pick or just has name value.
Speaker 2: He's on the front because he fits the mold.
Speaker 4: He's on the front of the magazine because he has an opportunity to go to the next level and have some success. And that was about a month and a half prior to where we sit now, a week ahead from the draft.
Speaker 2: So there's been thought about Jordan Morgan, and if.
Speaker 4: They do pass on him, to Bobby's point, it's because they have a reason, They have something that popped up through the process, or they just have another prospect that they had higher on their board and they didn't window dress it. He could fit you a need the same way that Graham Barton could, the same way that a J. C. Latham could or some of these other guys. It fills a need, but it depends on where the value is with the players around him and who's on the board at that time.
Speaker 3: No question, I usul, do you do you want to bounce for your guy Jordan Morgan? Or or do you kind of agree with where we're going?
Speaker 2: You guys, have you sailed it?
Speaker 7: He don't care about nothing you talking about.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 7: He's gonna feel a.
Speaker 6: Way that's good team trade back as well. I would assume Jordan, let's go.
Speaker 2: I know you do all right?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, all right, Ron, you need to keep this kosher, bro Honey to make sure no f bombs here their children at home.
Speaker 9: I was gonna say, broad Us is probably worried about what's about to come out.
Speaker 2: I'm out, we all are. But I have a filter. Everybody's got a notes app. This is impressive. Do you think this.
Speaker 9: Year's draft could be more about next year's draft after McCarthy and maybe Dak are both gone?
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's real talk.
Speaker 16: What if Jerry goes with Dion and his son next year, or if you can draft up and take Pendix.
Speaker 2: Junior this year?
Speaker 13: What do you do?
Speaker 9: And remember if you're not hanging out with JORDI ran drinking Jim Bean on one A five three of the fan?
Speaker 2: Where are you at? S A guy?
Speaker 3: We love you, Ron, thank you so much. Yes, run of a plus a run he nails it every every Friday at five twenty?
Speaker 2: What' you're drinking?
Speaker 3: What you're thinking? Aisha? How do we feel about Ron's question? I mean you immediately went and buried your head behind you and notebook.
Speaker 7: No, I don't have a I don't have a lot to say about.
Speaker 2: I will say, I'll say this, I'll say I'll speak up, I'll speak up here.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is a This is unusual in a lot of different ways for scouts and for coaches, because you do have coaches that are on one year deals, and you have a head coach that's on a one year deal or he's so. Now you're in a situation where, uh, you're you're wondering as a as a player personnel department, we just we got to put this board together for who we think the best players are. Whether you know, the coaches have input. I worked here for a long time. Coach has always had input here, always maybe at times too much. You know, I never called a third down defense, you know, but they would come into my area and tell me why this guy could play or this guy couldn't play. So I think they're in a very very unusual situation. I think will Jerry Steven have to manage this in a way that their board is put together the truest board that they could put together for how this team is going to be this season and the into the future. Yes, you could think about you know that you could ask the coaches, hey, what would you how would you like us to draft this board? You know, if you have a little bit of more stability to that, if you've had some continuity. They had a lot of continuity with Jason Garrett for ten years. Scouts knew exactly what they were doing when they were looking for players for that staff. So to me, it is a little bit of a tightrope that you walk, but you also have to say you know and I know again Mike Zimmer. My relationship with Mike Mike is a hey, I like this kind of a player, but bring me whoever you want to bring me. And I think that's the attitude that you have to have going into this as a personnel department. You got to put the board to put the board together the best you can and play it in a way that is best for today and then for tomorrow, regardless of who's coaching this football team.
Speaker 3: I think some thought to what you were asking there, Ron and Bobby, I wonder your thoughts on this with the fact that yes, it is kind of Hey, you don't have a lot of future right now locked up with your staff. What do we talk about trading up or your players? We talk about moving picks for next year? Are you more open to do that because I might not be here next year? What do I care about those picks for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, I mean I think that the front office ain't going anywhere, the front office, but the coach.
Speaker 3: But but Mike McCarthy might be like, hey, no, no, but I want this guy. No, No, don't sell me on next year's raft. You know, I don't know that I got a job.
Speaker 2: If I was Mike McCarthy, I would have been to Will mcclay's office every single day going what are we doing in free agency? Why can't we go get what are we doing? Explain to me what's going on here? You know, Mike McCarthy took the approach I believe of Okay, I trust you, guys, Mike McCarthy. You got to remember I came from the same program he did in Green Bay. Mike McCarthy did not He just by way of it, head coach coaches don't have it, didn't have a whole lot to say the player. The players were drafted by the front office. The coaches at a hell of a job at coaching. You know, there was some interaction stuff like that. Mike is getting the first opportunity. I mean, this is what it's fifth draft now, fourth draft that we've had here with him. This is the first rule opportunity he's ever had of going in and Jerry Jones, Stephen Jones looking at him and going what do you think here? And then he have an opinion Because in Green Bay Ted Thompson would draft the players, So you know, that's that's really different for him. But to me, I still think that they're going to have a say, but you have to be mindful of that, you know, you have to be mindful is this guy the best player for what we're trying to do right now? You know, And that's and that's how you have to approach it.
Speaker 8: I think the defensive coach might. I think Zimmer is gonna have some input, but maybe not as much as dan Quinn.
Speaker 2: Dan Quinn had a ton of it, because lots of it.
Speaker 8: There were plenty of times we would just be like, oh, that's a dan Quinn guy. Sure, definitely a dan Quinn guy. David Eddie is too, So I wonder if that comes in play as well, with Mike McCarthy having a little bit more say with that gentleman out of the building now and over.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't I disagree.
Speaker 9: I think dan Quinn and Mike Zimmer and the way the Cowboys have generally built their personnel staff and the way that their personnel staff interacts with their coaching staff, and the way that they gather information and you know, have open lines of communications.
Speaker 10: Say what do you like?
Speaker 9: You know, what are the kind of things that you look for in players. All Right, now we know what you like, we're gonna go find it for you. Now we're gonna make the evaluation. But you tell them what you like, I'm gonna go out there and find it. And in terms of looking ahead to next year, the Cowboys have had uncertainty with their coaching staff just about every single year. It's just with different reasons. You gotta remember, they've spent three straight drafts with Dan Quinn thinking this could be dan Quinn's last year here. This could be Dirty's last year here, this could be Joe Witt, Al Harris, whoever else like these could all be their last year here. And yet they still routinely go back and go, so, okay, dan Quinn, you might be gone next year, but you really like Eric Scott, and Eric Scott really fixed a lot of what you want.
Speaker 10: Let's go get him, you know.
Speaker 9: They they had a decent sense that they thought, you know, Rod Marrionelli twenty nineteen, this might be the end for you, and yet they still you like Tristan Hill, that's the type.
Speaker 10: Of player you like.
Speaker 9: So routinely they have shown a history of we are focused on what we know right now we cannot get. You know, it's control what you can control, which is a you know, mantra that's talked about in NFL rooms everywhere outside of Dallas, like Dallas and everywhere else talks about that. And what they can control is their lines of information, their lines of communication with their coaching staff, and that coaching staff they have now they can't project out and say, well, let me guess who is the next defensive coordinator and what they're gonna think or whatever else. And so I think Zimmer, even here, you know, just year one and everything else, I think one hundred percent equally will have the same voice that Quinn does.
Speaker 4: See, I'm right there with you because whenever you look at the way that this contract is one year deal left, it's easy to look at him and say, Mike McCarthy's going to be here down the road, or he's not going to be here down the road, depending on what happens in twenty twenty four. It's a year to year league anyways, that's the NFL. We've seen coaches fired after sixteen games. We've seen coaches fired after sixteen years. I mean, look at Bell Belichick. No longer the coach with the New England. That's because he couldn't draft at the end, which is fair, but that's part of it. He's one of the greatest coaches of all times. Tom Landry has had the same problem here. He's won six Super Bowls. It's a year to year league in the NFL. If you is a what have you done for me lately? And that's the thing is if they go into it. I think the only time that this possibly plays a factor is if it's one player versus the other who's going to play more now as opposed to down the road.
Speaker 2: I think it might come into those conversations.
Speaker 4: But whatever it comes to the building the board and putting these names on top of another, I don't think a lot changes depending on the coaching stat.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what, if they draft anything other than offensive line, and with that first pick they are drafting for the future, they are not drafting for this season.
Speaker 2: That's not happened Spicy form, Nick Harris.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, though, I mean, I like what you're saying there, Bobby, and I do think that that might be one of the things the Cowboys do best with Will McLay and his scouts going to position coaches, going to the coordinators and saying, hey, give me a description.
Speaker 2: What are you looking for? What do you like? And they come back and they're able to build their board that way. Just real quick. I'm sorry, I'll get Yeah, you brought up about Michael Pennix. Nobody benefited more from a falling quarterback in the first round than Mike McCarthy with Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers, nobody benefited more. Now I'm saying that Salmon Green, Hey, that's drafted quarterback. Teddy Thompson had no intention of taking a quarterback when he took Aaron Rodgers. He was taking a defensive lineman. And that just shows you Sometimes it's like, you know, you step up and you say, we can't pass on this guy. There's a lot of things going on. There's a lot of balls in the air in this organization about your quarterback.
Speaker 3: If Michael Pennix Junior is there at twenty four of hands, who's considering drafting him?
Speaker 7: Can you hold him?
Speaker 5: You already took your quarterback in this draft with Trey Lance. Did you horth round pick? Cause Penix you have to be.
Speaker 6: Quarterback.
Speaker 3: He's got that special about him. Now, and I'm not saying that Dak Prescott. Maybe he is the quarterback of the future here and they're sold on him, and I all right, that's fine. So I don't think that they'd really consider that, because I do think that's how they feel.
Speaker 2: If they had not traded for Trey Lance. I would go with you on this one. I'm with you, and I like Trey. I mean, I'm longing to see what you have with they had they had a second round, a high second round grade on Trey Lance. That's on their board. There's probably twenty I have twenty two names. He may be his player twenty who's better for you? Between Penix or Lance? I had Lance higher. He had Lance higher. So you're absolutely not considering that. Then, well no, I'm not. But I mean, like to me, but if you're looking at the situation and you're in your quarterback's not signed, I think you absolutely have to look at a court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you've got to have that conversation. Yeah, I think guys, you guys want to know something. I'd literally just looked this up. I was curious.
Speaker 2: Trey Lance is one younger than Michael Pennock.
Speaker 7: You're going to jail Yeah, you have to tell was born older.
Speaker 4: Quarterback Trey Lance was born on May ninth, two thousand and Michael Pennox Junior was May eighth of two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Bobby, you don't have to raise your hand. I know how you feel about that.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: But that's a trade back scenario of Pennix is there? I think that might be a great scenario for the Cowboys. I don't think it's a scenario at all. Sorry, No, to trade back for another team wanting to move up? Get a phone right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you said trade back to draft Michael. It's great if the Cowboys. Yeah, is on the board. Do you get a call from a team?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And I would say, just to Brian's point talking about the the Aaron Rodgers fault, which Stint Rodgers went twenty four, didn't he Yeah, So, I mean it's the same spot the the the comp to that for me.
Speaker 10: Would be Drake May falls to twenty four.
Speaker 9: You're talking about a guy who, like Rogers Smith, they were like right there as number one pick. Pennix is already a guy who you're talking about might be in that range is where he's supposed to go.
Speaker 10: And you know, he's He's very impressive. I love him. He's my third rank quarterback.
Speaker 9: There's still the question that you have to ask about his medicals as well, because I mean, the guy has has had a lot of knee issue.
Speaker 2: He has throughout his career. Yeah he has. What do we got next?
Speaker 3: Up?
Speaker 2: What's up? What's that?
Speaker 17: Jacob from Killer?
Speaker 2: What's up? Jacob? Okay? So Cooper the.
Speaker 17: Best Iowa prospect draft since Kaitlyn Clark, or like Newton, well done, thank you, thank you? Or Newton is on the board and that gets Washington to call, or Thomas is there the wide receiver that gets Carolina to call. I think that's a team that we haven't talked about yet to draft up.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 17: I wouldn't trust Deontay Johnson to leave my wide receiver room in Adam Thielen.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So, uh they're there.
Speaker 17: Would you take the defensive tackle, take an offensive lineman, or would you try and trade back with one of those teams that's calling you?
Speaker 5: Depends on what offensive linemen are on the board. But let's assume Barton and Fatanu they're off the board. I'm engaging in that call for sure. I think, especially with the it's Caroline and Washington you did. I think, especially with the receiver conversation, there's a lot of receiver needy teams from about twenty.
Speaker 6: Eight to thirty eight, and you can get a team to overpay.
Speaker 5: I think you can get a team to overpay and jump up to twenty four to go ahead and grab a Brian Thomas junor or an Xavier Worthy or something something to that sense.
Speaker 3: Any of those players that you would, uh. I mean, if Barton's not there, I'm certainly open to moving back.
Speaker 2: I like Newton. I don't think we've talked a lot about Newton.
Speaker 3: I think Newton you probably don't take considering to your point with Mazzi, but Aisha, I mean, tell us a little bit about Newton from Illinois.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 8: That's what I was about to say, though, is like the reason why he's not getting no love like that is because Byron Murphy has just taking all of it consistently. But if you look at just how disruptive he is off the line of scrimmage. I noticed him last year when we were looking at the draft. Who's the guy that got picked up from Illinois last year? Brown Yeah, it was actually quite a and I noticed him last year and he just flies off.
Speaker 7: He just flies up field, strong, heavy hands.
Speaker 8: The thing about it is, like we've talked about it on the show, is like, yeah, but he's a three tech technically, you know, or he's one of those guys and the nose tackle position is something that is I don't know, it's just hard to come across. So it's like I wouldn't take him just because he's a three tech, like we talked about. I have seen Byron Murphy do some one tech things. I haven't seen Newton have to do that as much, So that would make me a little bit more hesitant. But him as a pass rusher is he's he's going to cause some problems.
Speaker 2: This guy's a load to deal with.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a problem.
Speaker 2: He has a problem because you see him split double teams. Yeah, you know, you see a guy play with power for his size, his movements. He's a little bit of a shorter guy, but he's explosive and they try and double team him. The next thing, you know, it's a tackle for the loss. He we we we really haven't given him the do that he deserves. There. I think there is some verse statility this guy, you know, because they, like I said, they trying to get him in the running game. He's able to beat blocks at the point of attack, when he's past Russ stuff, He's able to get up the field. He could be disruptive in the pocket. So yeah, Johnny Newton, Illinois, That's that's a guy someone we're gonna be talking about it on the one of the nights and when of the afternoons in the draft, and like he gets picked and we're gonna go, that's a Dan Webber takes and that's a good patch.
Speaker 7: Murphy are closer than what peeped up.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't think some people might have Newton ahead. I agree, I agree, Yes, sir, Hello Sean former U and t Eagle. Oh there we go CA last year down to South Texas. This year, drove up from Portlanwaka to see you guys.
Speaker 6: Oh, let's so much Calhoun uh San Crab Oh okay, okay, yeah, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 2: What's okay?
Speaker 18: The first round tackle conversation all had earlier with a mimes gotten and a subemtia. What is a conversation in the room with these guys if they don't feel comfortable out of camp. If Mims are gotten can start week one. Uh at Sumatilla has guardflex being six or five as opposed to six to eight. For the two guys who may like some leverage on the inside, you could let the winner take all at left tackle and the other guy kicks into left guards.
Speaker 10: Bobby, Yeah, I mean I think that if.
Speaker 9: I think that if they were to take one of those guys, they're doing it with the idea that we're gonna be ready to go. We're gonna have these guys ready to roll with us at the start of the season. So I don't think necessarily they'd be picking based on, well, what if they're not ready, Like, I don't think it would be with that in mind. Uh And I though if they were to take mems Geiton Suamatia, if they were to take one of those guys, I think that if they didn't end up playing right away, it would be because they had already determined when they picked them what they were gonna do with their offensive line, and that they determined it would be Tyler Smith, TJ. Bass, Brock, Kauffman, and that that was the plan they were gonna have. You got I remember there was there was a lot of discussion in training camp before Tyron Smith got hurt. There's a lot of people wondering, Tyler Smith is still not getting first team reps as a rookie. He was not He wasn't getting the reps at guard. Yeah, Tyron Smith was getting attack. It was only after Tyron Smith got hurt that they went ahead and put Tyler Smith in there regularly. So they had drafted Tyler Smith seemingly comfortable with the idea that he may not even start this year. So I think that if they were to make that decision of you're not starting right away, I don't know that they necessarily think about it from the angle of well, what can we get out of him right now?
Speaker 10: What can we do right now?
Speaker 9: And so I think that either they're drafting somebody for what they can be in the future and looking ahead to their depth and potential holes into the future, or you know, they're drafting them with a specific idea of mind if you're playing right now and you're playing here and yeah, look suamatya, I mean they I think the fact that he's shown he.
Speaker 10: Can play left and right.
Speaker 9: Zach Martin talked about this with Tyler Smith that if you can flip sides, that's a much more differ transition then bumping inside because a lot of the footwork on the run blocking is exactly the same, So that doesn't really have anything that you got to change up, and so it kind of cuts in half what you have to learn. So I mean, if they believe that Suamatia could do that, then I think they would well.
Speaker 4: And it depends on what you have with Matt will Let's Go and Awesome Richards as well. These are two drafted players in the past that you have to see something out of if you want to see him at that point. Now, do you expect Awesome Richards and Matt will Let's Go to magically be healthy and magically be ready to start going into the year?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: And I think if you're drafting an offensive lineman in the first round, you expect him to be over those two guys.
Speaker 2: But who knows, if they.
Speaker 4: Come back and they're healthy and you're able to roll in the right direction, I think there's a way that you could see some back and forth.
Speaker 3: Initially, Yeah, I think in Brian, I know we've talked about this on the fan because early on I was arguing with Gavin about this where they that we were talking about, Okay, if Tyre and we're here right, well, Tyrone's not, he's a New York Jet. But when you're drafting in the first round, you're drafting a player that you hope is a five year member of your team and that you get a second contract on, you're not necessarily saying, yeah, I've got a massive need right here, so I need to pull the trigger on the X player because he fills a need and can plug and play. Now, you're drafting the best player that's gonna be the best fit for your team over the course of those five years, and I do think that Sue Mattia would probably be a great option because of the position flexibility. To that point, even if it got it's frustrating to the fan base. You want to see your first round pick play immediately. If he's not ready, they're not going to put him out there, and they've got some other options, but it doesn't change the fact that most likely that guy's playing and giving you snaps. Because we've seen how difficult it is to make it seventeen games with a healthy offensive line throughout the entire season. You need that depth. So eventually that guy will be a starter, hopefully is day one. If he's not, he's going to give you playing time. And it doesn't mean that it's a bad for Trump pick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, cheu media DOGA or a first round pick there I think.
Speaker 5: I think I think with with the first round pick, you have to have the expectation that he's coming in to give snaps. You have to have that expectation that there's there's nothing else about it.
Speaker 6: And then that's why.
Speaker 2: I can't stand you sometimes.
Speaker 5: That's why I have a little bit of pause when it comes to the Tyler guidance of the Amarus mems. But I will keep that to yourself next time.
Speaker 7: I just you're gonna blame me too, because I feel the same way.
Speaker 6: I don't think I'm going come on, come on, bandwagon, join the bandwagon.
Speaker 8: Got blame you think you have that luxury with where you are contractually with your quarterback and all this other stuff going on. And then also to you just this team's aerial attack was its strength last year and I just think that if you were talking about left tackle, I don't want to play around with that at all.
Speaker 7: And also too. I just think you need contributors right away.
Speaker 8: With how last year's draft went, I don't think I think you need to count on those first three guys giving you something.
Speaker 2: Do you if they if they were to take Kingsley so much? Do you not think he plays, Oh, I'm gonna be happy time.
Speaker 7: I think he earns that.
Speaker 2: But is it a disappointment if he's not ready to go day one? Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, okay, especially hey listen, I would I don't know about other humans. I don't know about other teams, but this team has people outside. Like we talk about how much offensive line is just a continued developmental thing. They have a guy that comes around here often called Duke, and he gets a lot of these guys. He's a luxury go as opposed to some of these other offensive linemens, so he'll get the work he needs. I just you can't you need You need stability there right away to me, real quickly, just.
Speaker 2: To see how consistent.
Speaker 4: Would you categorize Mazzie Smith as a disappointment this past year.
Speaker 3: Because you didn't play right away? Correct, That's not the reason he's not a disappointment, but his play on the field was disappointing.
Speaker 4: But if you draft a guy in the first round, you draft an offensive lineman, you expect him to play initially, and when he plays well and gives you taped thing what Mazzie showed me, it's not a disappointment because he didn't start Week one because you had a guy ready to rock in Jonathan Hankins.
Speaker 3: But were you not excited about the possibility of Mozzie Smith? Did you think Mazzie Smith was going to start? Because yeah, Jonathan Hankins, I agree with you.
Speaker 5: I agree with you there, but that's when you factor in that offensive tackle was so much more valuable than defensive tackle.
Speaker 6: Whereas he when he would needed to be called upon.
Speaker 5: Whenever Jonathan Hankins went down, he wasn't ready to fill that role, right and whereas.
Speaker 3: Now if this scenario happened, he wasn't ready to fill that role, then I'd be upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, But I think the differences last year you weren't necessarily drafting for need. This time you are a lot more so. And I think whenever you're drafted for that need at there at twenty four, you got to get an offensive lineman that can come in.
Speaker 3: I know, we got to get to this question. I think they did draft Mazzie for need. I think we heard yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that there was a need obviously, but it's not as big of a need as you're looking at right now at twenty four because you look, you look at all the free agents that have left this offseason.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, last offseason, they have to nail the draft.
Speaker 5: We were talking about either defensive tackle or offensive line at twenty four right up until the end, whereas this time around, we've been talking about offensive line since the season ended against Green Bay's like, well, you gotta go get an offensive linean at twenty four and like the Audish and Tyrone Smith weren't even out the build yet.
Speaker 3: I hear what you say, if, but to me, it doesn't matter what position you take. If it doesn't start day one, I don't think it's a It means it's a bust of a pick. I just want to be able to contribute at some point and eventually be a starter.
Speaker 4: We're not talking about a bust of a pick here, though, We're talking about a disappointment, disappointment regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the difference.
Speaker 4: I haven't given up on Mazie either, but disappointing give day yes or year one yes?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: I don't think it was usually didn't start week one for me? God, what I would say question Eric from Fort Worth.
Speaker 19: I know that over the cop overthcap dot Com has us for three fifth rounders a sixth rounder for next year for the comp picks.
Speaker 2: One of those I know is Tyron Smith based on his playing incentives?
Speaker 19: Can that move from a fifth to a four to a third based on you know, if he's hitting those game incentives? And then with that, because we have four comp picks for twenty twenty five, do you'll see us maybe using potential picks twenty twenty five to hit positions of need middle rounds because we have so many holes.
Speaker 2: You can actually trade those two, which is cool. Yeah. Yeah, it opens up a lot of options for you. Yeah, it opens with a lot of options. The part about the guy at the playtime turns into where he's a starter and all that stuff like that? Does that I don't know how that works on that well.
Speaker 9: I mean a lot of it's hard to understand because it's a it's not a public FRA secret. It's it's not a public formula. I mean, there are parameters that are issued in the CBA that you can read, you can see generally how they factor it in, but they don't give you specific formula of how they come up with it. That's why teams sometimes maybe expecting, oh, we're going to get a fourth throw on comp for that guy, and then they find out it's a fifth and so it's not anything that they would that specifically wouldn't be like that sort of a specific isn't something that would be public. I remember reading though, right after that the assumption was based on history of the way you see another deals play out, that they don't hit the incent like it's it's got to be whatever the straight read of the contract is initially rather than potent sentence. But again, that's very murky and there's not a lot of great understanding on that.
Speaker 4: And they've done that before where they've moved picks. I mean, Eric Scott Junior is a great example from this past year. They knew they were going to get a fifth or a sixth compick at some point in this upcoming draft, so they moved to pick along to go and get a guy to go and get Eric Scott Junior. And that's possible. It goes back to the initial question that I think we had right at the beginning, where it's depending on the value. Next year's picks are not value very high on the trade chart per se. But if you can package a couple of them together, then maybe you're able to make some moves and go up and get somebody that you really think is not going to be there whenever your selection rules around.
Speaker 3: Awesome questions. I mean, we could talk draft all night long. This has been an absolute last year for Draft one oh one. Shout out to Miller White as well for sponsoring this. Appreciate everybody who's watched on the Twitch and the YouTube on a one oh five to three the fan, We love you. Thank you to everybody that came out here, whether you asked the questioning, Thank you you're all. Dallascoveries dot Com too big. Thank you to Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Shout out to Derek Eagleton of course, Gavin Spittle as well, and of course the Jones family letting us be in this beautiful facility.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely outstanding.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Aisha Morrison, Kyle Yeomans, Bobby Belts of course, Nick Harris, Bryan Brodess. I'm Zach Walchuk, Will be back Monday with the next edition of the Draft Show. Will be with you all week next week leading into it. We look forward to spending all three days of the draft with you. Thank you so much, and hugs and hampounds everybody, We love you.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.