Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with breaking news overnight. Donald Trump now faces a new set of criminal charges. For the fourth time, a prosecutor has issued an indictment against the former president, this time in Fulton County, Georgia, over efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election. Eighteen co defendants are also facing charges, including former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows. Fulton County District Attorney Fanny Willis says she is charging all nineteen defendants under the state's racketeering law.
Speaker 4: The indictment alleges that, rather than abide by Georgia's legal process for election challenges, the defendants engaged in a criminal racketeering enterprise to overturn Georgia's presidential election result.
Speaker 3: Fulton County DA Fanny will says she has authorized arrest warrants for the former president and his eighteen co defendants. They have until August twenty fifth to surrender.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan. Reaction is pouring into this latest indictment. Genie Shehanzeno is a political contributor for Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: This is a screaming indictment. It is long and it is detailed. But she said in her comments, you have a right to challenge the election in court, but you cannot engage in a criminal racketeering activity to overturn the results. And that's what all of these nineteen individuals, including the former president and Rudolph Giuliani, Mark Meadows, and others are charged with.
Speaker 2: Genie Shanzeno notes the charges include one hundred and sixty one specific acts of racketeering by the former president. Bloomberg Law host Jun Garosso says some are questioning the timing of the late night indictment.
Speaker 6: I am really surprised as to why she decided that she had to do a press conference at eleven forty five at night, when you know most people are not going to be watching people who were interested in this. And also it seems into the Trump theory or the Trump allegations that this is happening also fast, and she's wrapping it up, and it's just an indication that she's not taking the time, even though we know that she took two and a half years.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Law host Jan Grasso says the charges carry a minimum sentence of five years in prison and a maximum of twenty Karen.
Speaker 3: Jeff Duncan is among those who testified before the Fulton County grand Jury. He is a Republican and the former lieutenant governor of Georgia. Duncan spoke to the Atlanta Journal Constitution outside the courthouse.
Speaker 7: Does a pivot point for this country to do something more than just stew on the twenty twenty election cycle. Right where either going to as Republicans take our medicine and realize the election wasn't rigged. Donald Trump was the worst candidate ever in the history of the party, even worse than Herschel Walker.
Speaker 3: Former Georgia Lieutenant Governor Jeff Duncan testified before the Fulton County Grand Jury after receiving a subpoena earlier this month.
Speaker 8: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager, and once again, former President Donald Trump faces criminal charges over efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election. This latest indictment comes from Fulton County, Georgia, and it includes eighteen co defendants. District Attorney Fanny Willis is accusing all of them of violating state racketeering law to accomplish.
Speaker 4: The illegal goal of allowing Donald J. Trump to seize the presidential term of office beginning on January twentieth, twenty one.
Speaker 3: DA Fanny Willis announced the indictment late last night. She says she hopes to try the former president and the eighteen others within six months, and she's giving them ten days to surrender for more. We're joined now by Greg Valier, chief USB policy strategist at AGF Investments. Your reaction, Greg, to the indictment and the timing, well.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Nathan. I would say that the biggest problem of all is that they cannot get this done in six months or less. Despite what she said, I think that if once you factor in appeals next year, it could be election day November fifth of next year before there's any resolution. With this many cases, this many indictments, a decent percentage will drag into late twenty twenty four. You could have a president or president elect who's been found guilty.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this indictment specifically, we have eighteen co defendants along with the former president. They're facing forty one counts accused of one hundred and sixty one specific acts in furtherance of a conspiracy to overturn the twenty twenty election. It sounds a lot more sweeping than even what we heard from the special counsel Jack Smith in a similar case.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it really does. And I think that in all of these cases there's a common theme, and that is that the prosecutors want to get some plea bargains. Of the eighteen people who were charged yesterday in Atlanta, I think there's a decent chance that two or three or four will cut a deal and make things even more difficult for Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Does that add to the difficulty that you're implying here in terms of the timing, If we do start to see some of these code defendants potentially make a deal and potentially line themselves up as witnesses against the former president.
Speaker 9: It's entirely possible. I think that the prosecutors know that a lot of these potential slippers, as you might say, don't want to spend their late seventies in jail, and that's entirely possible for somebody like Rudy Julie. So yeah, I think there's a high likelihood that at least some of them will slip.
Speaker 3: What do you make of the scope of the investigation here? It took two and a half years for Fanny Willis to bring these charges that were highly anticipated, and it looks from the indictment that it goes well beyond that infamous find me the vote's phone call that the former president had with Georgea's secretary of State.
Speaker 9: Yeah. I think they have a lot of evidence that's not been released yet in terms of harassment of voting officials, in terms of trying to get these charges changed. So my sense is that there's still a lot more in these cases still to be brought out.
Speaker 3: Do you get the sense that this is a stronger case than some of the others. Does it stack up that way for you?
Speaker 9: You know, I thought all along, Nathan, that the strongest one could be the documents in Florida. That's a pretty straightforward case. It's a felony. You can't take documents out of the White House and bring them to your home. All four of these are pretty strong, and I have a hunch that the document case could be the first one resolved.
Speaker 3: Does it complicate that case to have this one brought now? I mean we've talked before about how the schedule is going to get. I mean, it is a lot more complicated heading into a twenty twenty four presidential race, and now you have all these overlapping cases potentially running up against each other.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I mean you're going to have a president someone a candidate for the presidency actually having to campaign on weekends, on holidays. He's not going to be able to campaign probably full time because of all these charges. And we shouldn't overlook the fact that Joe and Hunter Biden are part of this narrative also. I think they will be dragged into this. But what has been alleged in terms of Trump far exceed in my opinion, what the Bibles have done.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five Am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak