Speaker 1: The biggest conversations in my life, the scariest ones won't even lead to like devastation.
Speaker 2: It just could potentially lead to.
Speaker 1: Like a moment of discompany, discomfort, of cringe or whatever.
Speaker 2: And it's worth it.
Speaker 3: That's something authoring post the number one healthy well in his podcast Purpose with Jay Shetty. Hey, everyone, welcome back to on Purpose, the number one health podcast in the world. Thanks to each and every one of you that come back every week to listen, learn and grow. It means the world to me that we have this amazing community and I've just been seeing the engagement, the connection that you're all having recently, all the Instagram posts, the TikTok post, the post on Twitter like it's it's unbelievable. Thank you so much for all the love. I really mean that. And a guest comes along in a while which I actually hear about from friends, and friends get fascinated and I go, oh, I need to interview this person. And that's how I discovered today's guest. So I was sitting with a good friend of mine, Ellen DeGeneres, and she said to me that she just watched a special by Gerard Carmichael, and she said this special was so special to not be cliche. This special was so incredible that she was so moved by it, and she was like, you have to want to have him on your show. You have to sit down with him, you have to talk to him. And I was just like okay. So I went and watched it, went and checked him out. I was like, oh, this is incredible. This is really different than anything we've also done on the show. As you all know, we've only had a few stand up comics and comedians on the show so far, you know, so it's really new for us as well. But in the two minutes that I've spent with this gentleman backstage before we go live, I'm already addicted to his personality, which is always which is always a good sign. So please welcome to the show, Emmy nominated comedian Gerard Carmack or Jared, So good to see you. Thank you for doing this. Literally was Ellen. I was sitting in Ellen's house and she and I know she listens to the podcast, so Ellen, thank you for listening to the podcast. But when she listens to this, she was just like, you have to and I think you went on the show too with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like yeah, last season, right, it was nice.
Speaker 2: I've done it for but it was nice to like go back.
Speaker 1: And yeah, she's a huge fan, she's I'm a fan of hers, Like I told her that, Like obviously, like a comedian that comes out and is incredibly brave, you know, it's rare. And she was at a time where it was really hard where you you really really got canceled for real, you know what I mean, like actually like the show could get canceled, you know, like, and she was so brave and also incredibly good at her job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. And and and that's yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it. Well, it brought us together, so that's what I mean. A few seconds ago, you were saying that you've been watching my stuff on Instagram. But when I look at you, you're very private on social media and you don't post a lot. I wanted to understand, was that intentional?
Speaker 1: Is that I got my little private I have my private ig that is so weird and someone called me out on it is like you're private and verified, and like it's it's it's still it's really like my publicists like set it up with the intention of like posting about shows and the like. And I'm someone who doesn't want attention unless like I asked for it. I'm probably the worst celebrity whatever ever because I never really chase it. I really just like to work and then present that and that's pretty much it. And like something like Instagram is really it is me. I wouldn't want to present like a false version of myself, so I wouldn't want to be presentational, So I kind of close it off to just like as of right now. Maybe, but I don't know if I'll ever do it. I'll probably delete it before I open it. But I can be like more honest than like a control like I can just post things that I would actually I would actually text these things to everyone, And so I can remain truthful on Instagram and non perform. I'm a performer who's trying to remain nonperformance.
Speaker 3: How's that going?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's okay, Yeah, yeah, no, it's a it's I've become funnier, I think, like on stage and stuff by not performing, like by being truthful, like yeah, yeah, I think it's a better version of myself.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's hard. It's hard to in life, it's hard to do.
Speaker 3: That well, that must feel very comforting, I can imagine, because I feel like for so many performers, there's someone on stage because that's their job, and then there's someone at home because that's who they are, and so there's always this conflict inside and outside. What for you has been like the biggest impact on who you are today? Like if you had to say, this is a recipe of how I was created, what would you add to that recipe to say, like Gerard is a little bit of this and.
Speaker 1: A little bit of that, like sugar and spice. Yeah, it's a big question.
Speaker 3: It's a big question, huge question.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'll be able to fully answer it because like, you know, I'm influenced by you know, the time I'm in, the who I am being American, all of those things that we're all influenced by as a performer, influenced by you know, everyone from Cosby to you know, Jack Benny to you know to Rock and Chappelle and really good people like people who are really good at their job. But lately I've been really influenced by just this this drive to not lie, you know, like like to not lie, and like it's made me a storyteller because then like just trying to you know, tell things about me or things in my life that like.
Speaker 2: Are scary is funnier.
Speaker 1: I found for the work and being around people that I don't have to try and protect my words with is more confident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when when when you were growing up? Like what was the environment for you growing up? We just talked about North Carolina, which is where you were born and raised, right, So like what was the environment like when you were growing up and what you know?
Speaker 2: For you?
Speaker 3: How early was it that you discovered that this was going to be a path in life, because I think for me, I'm always intrigued to figure out how people discover things they're passionate about and things that they love, because that's so rare. How early was it for you and what was the environment that you grew up in?
Speaker 2: It was pretty early.
Speaker 1: Like I was a kid that performed a lot, Like I asked for a microphone every year at Christmas. That was like my accountant. I was like obsessed with microphones as a kid. I sing on the choir even when I was like a like three. My mom was an usher and she would after church like I would cry, and so she helped me up to the mic so I could. I just like I like it. I really respect it. It's powerful, it amplifies your voice. People listen to it like so intimately in a performance setting even now, like people are listening to this through headphones. You know, it's like so personal and so like my whole life. I've kind of always felt that way. I've always filmed things, I've always written, I've always I've always performed. And then I fought against it. I think for a period I was really encouraged by a friend to make the leap and move to LA and do that. I lived here for like ten years, and I thought it was like arrogant, because I do think asking for people's attention is precious. Like I try not to be like super precious in my work, but like asking for their time, like.
Speaker 2: Doing a show.
Speaker 1: If I'm doing a show and I put up tickets and people spend money for tickets and then they drive out to the venue and they sit there and they wait for you and then they listen to you, Like that's that's asking a lot. And so especially recently, like just like respect that more, you know, like like I think I have the respect that has been growing in me since childhood. For the nudging of a frame got me out to LA. But it was, uh yeah, yeah, I love performance.
Speaker 3: I love hearing that because I feel the same way that you know. Some some people listen to this podcast every day, so they listen to the two new episodes and then they'll listen to old episodes. And I'm thinking, sometimes I'm in people's ears every week, five to seven hours a week, and I'm thinking, that is so I'm so fortunate, right, Like there's so much gratitude around that that someone allows you into there, whether you're walking the dog right now, whether you're cooking, whether you're editing, whether you're cleaning, whatever you're doing at home right now. And you said that you've always had that kind of like that belief that having someone's ears or eyes or money them turning up is is precious. Tell me about then, your how does that lead into your creative process because I feel like, for me knowing that I just finished writing my second book, it took me two years to write it, and I put a lot of effort into it, and I know that when I've written a book, it's taken two years in my life to write it, I'm putting it out. I have to. The creative effort is so high because a the book pages don't change. You can't edit those pages once they're out, and someone's going to take their time. It takes like.
Speaker 2: Potentially like written words word is.
Speaker 1: So I always thought it was crazy that Twitter uses the word published, right, because like it's like it induces in me such anxiety just thinking about the how permanent it is in placing things out there that you can't get back. And like that's why, like, if I'm going to perform, I think it's like I don't do social media because I would like to put all of that energy and I don't even say I don't do social media. Even that in itself could be a grand performance. I mean, look like Kanye is an incredible well perform like you know, like it is very warhol Ish in that, like it's spectacle to use an important peel word. But uh, you know that's its own art form. It can be its own art form. But but like I put all of my energy into like I'm a comedian and I make specials and I make television programming or whatever programs. I make movies occasionally, uh and and whenever I'm doing that, I would only like for all of my energy and all of my thoughts to go to that, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then present that. And I'm kind of repeating myself.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, deeper into it, yeah, deeper into it. And what's your creative process? Like you're saying you put all of your energy, but like when you're building a special or one of those TV shows, like how do you even start? Like where, where's the process? What's the starting point? Like how do you get inspired at the beginning of it?
Speaker 1: I mean it's a spark of something, you know, something. A lot of times it's like anger. I think that's started this, just like a little angry. Then just started performing, doing clubs and then solo shows and then uh, you know, preparing to do it for television and like like I do stand up for specials. I think at my core that's like like I think my attention reads better in that medium, and working backward from what that is, then you know, take the writing and like form a show and like it just kind of happened. That's it happened my last special, It happened really fast. Just frustrations with secrets and feeling too old, to keep them and too, you know, like I didn't feel like an adult. I didn't feel like I had control of my own life, and so that, you know, created a lot of urgency to find a way to resolve that.
Speaker 2: In art.
Speaker 1: It's just that attempt like making a special and that's like my attemp. I'm sorry, I'm probably not.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a great answer to hear the that honestly, that's that's not I'm speaking.
Speaker 2: I'm trying not to be like evasive about it.
Speaker 1: It really is just like it's I've been writing for years, like like, and I'm always writing. Sometimes that becomes a show, sometimes it becomes something that like it's mostly like most of creating is just a bunch of like trying and failing that no one sees, you know, and like, uh, you know, failing in my own writing, failing in my own head over and over and over and over again, and like trying to make something, write a show, you know, structure a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But I love what you said that anger or frustration with your own identity and your secrets. I mean that that whole concept is so real. I think for so many of us, whatever that secret may be, whatever that identity may be personally.
Speaker 1: I say to like, you know, my friends, like I really think, like everybody's in the closet about something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, there's a thing.
Speaker 1: Shame is such a powerful emotion of strong I mean, plenty of books about just how it can dictate the course of your life and your actions and your behavior, and so much is driven by shame, and so much of who we are is just our attempts to hide that little piece of ourselves that can never be seen. At least It's been a common experience amongst people I've talked to in friends. I'm sure you get a high volume moved of it. And so yeah, it was exciting and really scary to try and make something that dealt with that head on. And that's how I've been feeling in my personal life, just even though it's kind of a blurb between my work and my personal life now, but I've been trying to have conversations that I've never had and trying to deal with shame and trying to restructure my relationship with God. You know, like, am I the funniest comedian you've had on the show?
Speaker 2: I'm the funniest.
Speaker 3: That's a scary question, but the shame parts. I love that you went in that direction because I think that naturally, shame is one of those topics that isn't talked about a lot publicly, So to even bring it up in a podcast is great because we can actually talk about it. But I find like we also live in a culture where shaming has become more normal. Right, So we're talking about a time when we realize how powerful shame is as an emotion and how much it limits us from truly being ourselves. At the same time, shaming or cancel culture is is growing. At the same time, I feel like today we point more fingers at others because we know more of what others are doing. We're more likely to tear someone down because we can, whereas in the past you wouldn't have access to do that. You might do it in your dining table, or you might do it on your couch at home, but you didn't have the ability to go on social media and leave hate comments or whatever. So it's interesting that you're saying that at the same time as you're saying that, hey, we need you know shame is holding people back from being themselves, we're also shaming others more. I guess, well, we have more opportunity to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we have an opportunity to speak a lot. It's it's it's so much of that, so much of that, and to speak constantly and emotionally, you know, it's it's hard to like have intention in every tweet, in every post and every.
Speaker 3: Should we is the question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well it's it's even more powerful than the words spoken in a private setting, you know, because it's something that is even if you have one follower, you know, it has the potential of being seen and expressed amongst others. So like, you know, your intention reads and and yeah, and and I question that a lot. I mean, I mean we could go down and on for hours and hours about like its effect on us, and like, you know, even just thinking about even myself when I'm on like Instagram on my little private ig, right, I you know, I have a decent group of friends that I follow, and it's just it's so abnormal to catch up or have the illusion of catching up with all of them, you know, like constantly on like on loop. There are people sometimes that I see that I feel like I've seen, but I haven't actually had that experience with them. I've only had like this experience with the representative that's you know, uh, you know, like like on close friends or whatever, you know, and and and yeah, it's just not.
Speaker 2: Like expressing that much.
Speaker 1: Like I have this theory that we all are kind of becoming our own news channel, Like we're all the news and we have to we're all CNN or Fox or whatever, and we all have to fill the time, like we have to fill the space. Like and the more you do it, the more inclinent you are to do it. And again, it's just hard to keep that marriat to intention, you know, like the sheer volume if you just speak. If I wake up in the morning, I just speak all day and I never pause. It would be difficult to promise that everything I say would have as much intention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the sheer volume.
Speaker 3: Yep. I like that theory. I like that theory a lot. That's cool because I went to someone's house once and it's, without doubt the coolest house I've ever been to.
Speaker 1: This is a very cool house. So you're saying that from a very cool.
Speaker 3: House, No, but this was like this is like and I'm saying it's a cool house, not because of the bil not because of the grandeur. Not same with this. I don't think that's why I think I like my own house, was because of what he had in it. So he had a whole war, and he called it the fake news war because it was every piece of news that was published before they knew the time. So back in the day, if a newspaper was being printed, if a game wasn't over, they'd have to print the news with who was winning at the time. In hope that right, Well, all of this, whether it was people winning games, whether it's votes, whether whatever it was, it was like articles that have been printed before the fact. So he had all of it in America, like all these big and I was thinking, this is fascinating. And what you're saying right now is that without intention, a lot of what we create is fake news in our own little news channels.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, because things change.
Speaker 1: You know, your your my opinion on an album, for instance, even just something as trivial as like you know, my my feelings toward a song or an album or whatever, like it changes. It changes over the course of a week. It changes through how I've listened to it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I imagine if I were just talking publicly about Kendrick's last album, which I went from not understanding to not liking to only liking the interludes to then listening to it while I was getting a Mandy petty and I turned the volume halfway down so I could like actually like hear the words. I had to focus on the word something about like the lower volume, Yeah, made me pay attention more and like hearing what he was saying and then being in love with the album and those tweets would have been a roller coaster, Like it's just like of emotion if I just like if I put that out like constantly, because your thoughts towards something should like change and evolve and like sometimes may take a little while to reach stable ground on.
Speaker 3: And some people would argue that the journey is authenticity, Yes, but what is what is authenticity to you as a comedian, as someone who's like the theories that you just said, Like, how do you how do you define what is authentic and real and what isn't for you?
Speaker 1: I try, And a lot of things are true, right like you can go I could. I was presenting a lot of true things right, like things that I thought were hard facts or perspective that people wouldn't want.
Speaker 2: To say out loud or be able to tolerate.
Speaker 1: And you know, I did believe it and it was true, but it wasn't like in my eyes, the most compelling version of the truth I've found like now, like when working, I run towards things I'm afraid of and that that have personal consequence in my life. So talking about me, because I never really talked about myself before, never considered myself a storyteller, and this is something I'm in many ways making art while learning and real time. But but it is and has become with my live show, just like this kind of personal exploration, not just that things that bring me shame, things that bring like and again it's hard to talk about the show, yeah, only because I'm sure I'm making it, so I must give the the caveat that it's actually funnier than I've been. But I try and keep it compelling, you know, like I trying to keep stakes in the act and like tension there, like that's my new focus is you know, both says I like give the audience a lot, like I'm more like more giving and I have more need of for them now more than ever, and I like that experience, so yeah, yeah, yeah, it's really personal now, like it's it's the things that are dangerous to me, like the evil canievral things are like my feelings toward you know, myself, or my feelings toward you know, relationships that I have.
Speaker 3: What was what was the first thing you think you ever combated through that art exploration internally as a fear Like I love that idea that your storytelling now or your special is there a exploration of something you're scared of? What was the first ever thing? Do you remember that you were scared of?
Speaker 1: No, that's I kind of baby stepped into my last project. So I was like, I made these documentaries for HBO or I went home and I was confronting like my father's adultery and my mother's forgiveness of him. And I tried to come out to my mom, but I did it in a very it was fearful, so like I was like I hooked up with dudes before, like just like kind of waiting for a reaction, you know, and it wasn't full truth. And then you know, some time later I came out to my family and it had still resonating consequences to that. It affected our relationship in a real way. There's a lot of anxiety and not speaking of kind of separating myself from my family a lot recently. I only share because I'm still in that part of the process. I want to be honest about it. I don't know, you know what, like, and I pray that it gets better and we should talk later about what prayer.
Speaker 2: Means to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's you know it great again, like kind of personal consequence. And so my last Special Rothaniel was me, Yeah, you know, really kind of drawn a line in the sand with my family coming out publicly, contending with my father's adultery, its effect on me, the kind of generational trauma.
Speaker 2: Calls by adultery, calls by having other.
Speaker 1: Kids outside the marriage that were kept secrets, and how just gears of secrets like kind of repressed us and repressed me into a liar, you know, not unable a liar and unable to tell my own truth. And so I look at the special as being the synopsis could read like on HBO, like man afraid of heights jumps out of an airplane for the first time. Yeah, like that was my last Special, Like that was the the intention was doing the scariest thing I could imagine. I never thought I would ever come out. I was afraid of the public's reaction. I was mostly afraid of my mother's That was the feet walking on to the stage and doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean that even just hearing you say that, I man, that is so inspiring as a creative person like to hear that your creative impetus or intentional process is to confront a fear, a shame, something that difficult. You're doing it through comedy, which is even harder in one sense because you're making these extremely deep traumatic events, you know, lighthearted to some degree where people are able to be entertained.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, what I found with audiences is that when I go, when I share things that are personal to me, no matter what the danger, and i'veset things that are I mean, this has happened in real time, and like it's like tweets, like art is capturing a moment in time. That's why I try and focus all the energy on one thing, like my my special is just one ig live, you know what I mean. It's like it's like the one thing that I focused on. I found that when I when it's personal, it's not the same audiences like you can't like I'm talking about how I feel, I'm talking about me. I'm talking about things I went through and how that developed this perspective, right, that's all truthful. Is different than if I'm just like talking about what you you can't do.
Speaker 2: I'm all for.
Speaker 1: Whether you like it or not, kind of comedy, free speech. You have every right to do that, like in comedians do that, and I did that, I mean most of my career, but still up until recently was a lot of that trying to say the thing I like to think of mine was more intellectual. But that's my own egotistical argument for it. But you know, but now I'm talking about me, and when I'm talking about me, like audiences react with empathy or compassion even when I say sometimes I say, like some wild things, you know, but it's mine as personal, like that's that's definite. You have ownership over how you feel, you know, And that's what I want my art to be, just like how I feel right now, just like an emotion, like a pure intention bottled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love Yeah, I get that. You've said. It's interesting though, your language is like full of like intention truth, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost hate that.
Speaker 1: I almost hate it because it's like these are powerful words that obviously get overused, and I'm sure I'm overusing I.
Speaker 2: Don't think you are the word platform, like I hate the word.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're overusing them. I feel like I don't think you're overusing them from at least what I'm I'm generating from this conversation, Like I guess, I guess what I'm fascinated by is like what you said, you said you were I think you used the word and I could have got the word room where you said you were reconstructing a relationship with God or reframing that. And then you said, let me define what prayer is to me, Yes, do both those things what you said, I pray.
Speaker 1: It's in many ways one and the same because I think my entire life, I've kind of believed this but didn't have the language to articulate how I felt. And that is truly taking the Christianity that I was taught growing up my whole life to church every Sunday, even when my mama worked, I went with my grandma sang on the choir. Uh Sunday school class into regular service. Stayed after talking to the parking lot full church boy and learning about God, the man in the sky who at you know, your requests can show you benevolence and at as consequence for your sins punish you, right, And I was. I was taught about this man and internalized this man, and he dictated my actions and my words and my fear. And then I read this book by Eric Butterworth called Discover the Power Within You, and it helped me articulate how how I felt, which is if you take Christ's words as philosophy, right, like just like take away this human needs to worship the light and just listen and accepting your own divinity. And by divinity, I don't want to be confused because I think lose sometimes non religious people. I mean your you know, potential for to function fully. That's all something that Christ has said that you have. You have at birth. It is your right and you are essentially God manifesting himself as Jay as Gerard, you know, like it's I accept that I accept my own potential. I realized that prayers are just affirmations that you are asking for what you already have. I think it's why, like good advice feels familiar something you're like, yes, oh, yes.
Speaker 2: I knew that. Yeah, you know, that's why you connect.
Speaker 1: With it, and it's it is there, you know, and it's divinity that that we all have access to. But it's always like the you know practice that's rough, right, because it's easier. It was easier for me, I want to speak personally. It was easier for me to just accept a guy that I can send and then ask for forgiveness, and you know, a Bible that I didn't fully understand and and just kind of accept that there's this external force dictating and you know that kind of the devil relinquished me of responsibility for my own actions. I was able to kind of back away from things that wasn't me, that was the devil, you know. And now by internalizing though that philosophy and seeing it as philosophy, I had to remove the magic from the Bible. Right, And this is what works for me. And I'm saying it cautiously because I know, like I can still see the ears of my mother perking up, so like I'm saying that this is what has helped me.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Just like realizing that God is me functioning as I can you know, and things function as they can access to good, like we all have access to good, even through tragedy, even through pain. You know, those words of the Bible become different, they hit a little different when you accept yourself as innately divine right. You know, all things work for good, for through God who strengthens me, you know, like Philippians, is.
Speaker 2: Is something that you know, you, Oh, I can use all of this. We're good.
Speaker 1: I can take what you know, I can take the rubble or things from the ashes and make something new out of this and continue forward, like with a sense of purpose, with a sense of duty, I can form that, you know, taking tragedy. And we see it all the time, like you know parents, some children who've gone through tragedies, or you know people just with loved ones who've experienced something and then they take what's been destroyed and they make something new, you know. And that is the Bible. That's using your own innate power to move forward. And that's the line between me and my mother. That's been the line between me and the Church my entire life. I've always wanted to believe that, and it wasn't until I came out or even accept it. Let's just say accept it who I was that I was forced to then say, okay, well God has taught to me is not accepting of me, and I had to re examine in order to not destroy myself.
Speaker 3: I love hearing your thought process because it's so real, Like you're so in it. And as someone who's created did a piece of art based on a fear, you've had to live through that fear again and again and again in the creation process. How did it feel. Did you feel that making a piece of art on that relinquished a fear and now you can move on to another shame or another guilt or another fear or what was the what was it like? Yeah? Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And speaking of that fear, like I was, like I did a few shows on the role in preparation for the special, and like I was like coming out to audience members that knew me like every night, like like it was like a new It was like jumping off a cliff.
Speaker 3: Like that's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And it was a lot, but it is how I knew it's the direction I needed to go in because it did scare me and you know, I've learned to trust that feeling isn't always that I'm going in the wrong direction, but in fact that I'm going there's like.
Speaker 2: A lot of fertile ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the fear. It just stays.
Speaker 1: It just stays the whole time, the whole time until it's released, and then you kind of release the fear.
Speaker 3: Did you feel you released the fear when that happened or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in many ways, Well, in many ways because I feel more truthful publicly now, which feels great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that feels really really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I don't have the fear of being found out in that way. But they're still I'm definitely still fighting through shame and how it's manifested itself in my life through you know, things really like that I could call hypochondria or OCD or whatever, but really like anxieties rooted in shame that I'm working through and that I'm trying to understand better myself, and I feel it like my job to explore that. You know, so I kind of chase that feeling. I don't recommend it.
Speaker 3: I was just about to say, I was like, how do you recommend people do this? Because I think that whether you're a performer or not, we all have to go through this process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do recommend for whatever it's worth me saying like that, you run toward all of the things that you're afraid of in a truthful way, contend with it with an open mind.
Speaker 2: I think that's very very important.
Speaker 3: How did you do it in a way that didn't break you or hurt you or because I think that's where people are scared of shame and guilt because it feels like a broken piece of glass, and so when you pick up a broken piece of glass, you could get caught. So people like, oh, it's just better to just shove it away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, and I'm still like, you know, I feel like I'm still picking it up. But good friends very very important in my case. And you know, people that remind me where the ground is, you know, just get caught up in all of it, all of it. Anxiety is real. I'm recently admitting that I experience anxiety. I ran away from admitting that much of my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can relate to that. I remember a few years ago, my mum would always tell me, I think you're stressed, and I'd be like, I'm not stressed, I'm fine. And I didn't even want to admit it to myself. So it's not that I was lying to her. I was lying to myself. I didn't even want to because I was scared that if I let that in then that would change me somehow. That blocked me stop. Yeah. Yeah, And I didn't realize that, and that you're weak totally.
Speaker 1: The thought that you're weak weak there, Oh you're being consumed by these oh this small little thing is eating you up, and it's just like yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, yeah, and it is yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I had a friend that I remember was going through depression very early on, and like this when we were much younger, and I didn't I was like, how can you be depressed? You've got nothing to be you know, that kind of mindset, and then you go for something yourself and you go, oh God. I experienced depression and I was scared of accepting it, and it took me. It was the same for me. It was the weak aspect. It was the aspect of no, no, no, some people have it much worse, Like what am I complaining about? It was it was the shame that came with oh no, but I'm you know, I if a mom thinks I'm stressed, and she'll get stressed, and the guilt, all of that.
Speaker 2: And any excuse not to correct confront it right.
Speaker 3: Confront it, and I feel like you just keep putting it off. And now I've realized that I need to talk to that feeling or emotion when it arises, because me putting it away just makes it get bigger and darker and deeper. And that's what I find so interesting doing it through art, because when you're putting it out in front of other people again, now it's their mind. Their impression gets involved too, Like what they're going to think of it? What is it right now? If you said that there's a fear right now or a shame or guilt right now that you're trying to unpack next, Like is there something that not that you're working on specifically for a new project, but even just in your own life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, probably emotional blocks that like stopped me from being in like a healthy relationship with with someone you know, and and as someone who came out publicly later, I realized that there are phases and things that I go through and that it's normal to go through.
Speaker 2: But but just understanding those.
Speaker 1: Blocks has been interesting to me as a late and dealing with the the things that don't sound cool. Give me an example, Yeah, well, well only because not that I not not even that I don't want to, but but I'm only respecting that on stage is a different place. Yes, that that allows me to say things. I get that that like that, Like I may say something that I'm like, well, now we need another hour, you know, I'm like, well can we can I explain everything that led to that? You know, like I don't know, I love that. Yeah, yeah, nothing, I mean, you know, just things that are personally scary to me. You know, like you know, there are no bodies or anything, but like but you know there are like you know, things that have like emotional consequences that.
Speaker 2: You know, run from.
Speaker 3: I like, how simple you went back to. It's just like good friends, like you know friends. It just it sounds like such a basic thing. And I was. We had some friends over that hadn't seen for years this weekend and we were all just appreciating that as well in terms of I remember, I've been coaching people for a long time and that was really what my work was before I did any of what I do today, and all I ever met was people who were lonely at the top. Like that was considered with my experience, and so I would often say to myself that while I'm building my life, I don't want I want to make sure that I build relationships at the same time as build things. And I don't just mean like love and romantic I mean like friendships, as you're saying. And I've realized just how much time that takes, how much energy that takes, how much effort that takes, but how fulfilling it is. And it sounds so simple and it's so basic.
Speaker 1: Oh it's difficult, and it's almost yeah, and it's almost a lot of the things that drive you to be successful are isolating. Like there is a lot of accepted selfishness, even amongst frank like I at times have been a horrible friend, like a very selfish friend. Like I mean just like get on the phone, talk about me for an hour, all right, bye, you know, just like a one sided friend, a a friend who's used money to supplement connection, a friend who's like kept friends at arms distance so I could work or focus.
Speaker 2: Or however I justified it, and I still do that.
Speaker 1: I still do that like that, Like I can relate like like in I and I and I value my work and so specifically in art, like it's like license to sometimes indulge in like behavior or in emotions that are harmful to relationships. And I can't tell if that's Look, it's not okay because it's like but it's like an occupation hazard.
Speaker 3: Occupational has it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's an occupational hazard. It's like you're I don't know, I have to go there, like I have to go into this cave.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the part I find fascinating about it is the awareness of it, right, I think the lack of awareness. A lot of people may be doing that but they don't even know why. Yeah, Whereas and I can relate to a lot of that, like I've I've definitely been very clear with friends, family, things like that about what I can and can't do based on what I'm working on. But it's different when it's carved out, when it's communica. Yeah, when it's yeah, right, it helps exactly helps.
Speaker 2: It definitely helps me.
Speaker 1: Like, and that's a part of honesty and not lying to yourself about what you're doing. Yeah, being able to say Okay, like I used to be so late to work, you know, just because like I'm just in my head and like I know how long it takes me to like shift gears, and like I would lie to him about I didn't realize I was lying, but I would be like with starting at three, you know, and then like five thirty, I'm like, okay, I'm ready, you know, and he's and I'm wasting his time being a horrible It's not even productive for me because like now I'm trying to like work closely with someone who's like like justifiably frustrated with me, you know, and so like just like learning to communicate even like, oh, look this is how I'm feeling right now.
Speaker 2: That's how I'm feeling today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So working on like I don't even know if we're going to get to it, and he's like, look, then i'll make it as a loose plan exactly, and I'll either see you at three or in two weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, you know, that's what we're so scared of communicating. And that's what I feel the same way I was talking about in relationships, So with my wife, for a long time, i'd always be like three nights three nights this week, I just need to spend time alone. You can say that, or you can say, hey, these three nights I'm working on this thing, which means I need some time and space. That's totally different to a these three nights, I'm just going to be And it takes a little bit more time and energy and effort. And this isn't about advice. It's just about the idea of what you're saying that you're actually creating more issues for yourself by not communicating, and the courage that it takes has it just pays off. Like you just said, your friends, oh I'm clear now.
Speaker 2: But saying the thing.
Speaker 1: Saying the thing scared potentially awkward and it's not even that A lot of times, like the big conversations in my life, the scariest ones are that won't even lead to like devastation, It just could potentially lead to like a moment of.
Speaker 2: Discomfort, discomfort of cringe or whatever. And it's worth it. It's worth it.
Speaker 1: My friends and I'm closest with have caught essentially have caught me out on a lie, which is a difficult thing to do, and we survived it and we're closer because of it.
Speaker 3: That's impressive. Yeah, that's impressive. Most people can't take that. But that's why it comes back to awareness. Like even earlier you mentioned ego and it was like even the ability to see your own ego is a healthy sense of awareness. I mean, we're in this attention economy right now, where, like you said, we talked about this. We started with this, the idea that everyone's trying to grapple for people's attention. People will even invent things in their life to get attention because it's so hard to get attention when you're trying to not even get able.
Speaker 1: To raising their children and on the internet, like people are like camera like the children are like sleeping.
Speaker 3: But with that, like the attention part, like how is it that then in a world where then you're trying you're saying that you're still you still have to compete for attention, but you're trying to do it for fear and exploration and art like.
Speaker 1: Well, because to me, that's like interesting to me, it's interesting because it's scary and it's like yeah, emotion too for me, and like not only respecting people's time, but realizing, you know, just how hard it is to get anyone's attention for a moment and to make people feel anything, you know, because that's also if you're inundated with bad nabs even like you you know, people a either seek good news through their art or be like you know, only a really authentic version of something can even resonate or have the potential to resonate with a viewer or listener. And and so you know, I respect it, and I know it's hard. So like that's why I like save it for when it's ready, you know, even if it's a daily show. If I were doing a daily show, still, I would just save it all for that night, you know, like like just like but that's just how again I say that with the disclaimer, with the non judgmental disclaimer of you know of someone who follows accounts on Instagram that I find funny or in some ways inspirational or whatever. But it's always like there's always like the truth that like really gets me.
Speaker 2: It's why I love sports. Sports is true.
Speaker 1: I watch I don't even watch sports, but I watch ESPN all day every day.
Speaker 2: Sports Center around the Horn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, PTI like just like like facts, facts, facts, truth, truth, truth, opinions, like plenty of opinions. It's funny. It's just an honest what's your favorite book whatever? Oh right, I also like straight things for gay reasons. So like, I'm like really obsessed with the lighting of basketball. You know, this stadium is like, you know, this arena is gorgeous, you know, like you know, the golden light of the garden or whatever. Like I'm but but I'm obsessed with the production of it. I'm obsessed with like you.
Speaker 3: Know that you never heard that sports is true, it's.
Speaker 1: A TV show like my you know friends who really truly loves sports. But I'm like, yeah, the NBA is just like a long running television program. Yeah, you know, like Michael Jordan was one of my favorite stars of that program. He got me to watch it on TV. You know, like it's you know, a tour. It's a televised tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, that's that's yeah, that's an interesting way to see. I mean I'm obsessed with soccer football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the rules of performance when I go to games, you know, it's like it's a full show. They're also trying to keep the audience attention the whole time.
Speaker 3: America, it's a show in England. Yeah, in England it's not like that. Oh no, on sports in England there is no entertainment, but the.
Speaker 2: Space that's nice.
Speaker 1: Even advertising in England seems so like when you're going down like in London, if you're walking down the strand. Part of what makes it gorgeous is that it's just like these really like these giant brick buildings that reflect lightwell and and have No, it's not a lot of ads.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's just like clean.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And sports is like that. You won't you see sponsors on shirts obviously, and sponsors around the pitch, but it's it's different. Like I realized that when I came to the US. I was like, oh wow, everything's entertainment everything, you know, just a spool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you guys do do the giant soccer I don't like. I mean some of the jerseys are cool.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. On the NBA jerseys, it's like not worth.
Speaker 1: The yeah, quick and loans right here, like give a kid a clean like jersey.
Speaker 2: I love God.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, it's like, I mean, America has done it in a way that's just so it's so part of the culture.
Speaker 2: It's like even like movies.
Speaker 1: You know, I fought really hard in my movie to even keep just like coke bottles or something, because that is like to me, that looks American looking at a photo photograph of New York or LA, like I could in many places recognize it, but the advertisements and the pure ubiquity of it totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's your take on I guess as looking at I love how you have theories and insights and all different industries, looking at the advertising industry or looking at product placement, looking at that, like, is there do you have any interesting theories about how ads have changed? Because obviously now we're going from targeted ads ads everywhere. I mean, you're you're off social media, but like, I'm just fascinated to hear your thoughts on advertising and attention, like and why we fall for every time, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm susceptible to me too, I loved to have an iPhone. iPhones aren't even the best phones, but I bought one, Like I see pixels and stuff, I'm like, that is amazing. Well, I mean, no, what I'm gonna like text my friends from like a green bubble, but like it's because of the like it really sold like Apple sold me on a dream and I'm a sucker who bought it, and like and it's sleeking.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're obviously great qualities to whatever, but like, like I'm very susceptible to things. I'm susceptible to words and images just like you know, and so that's part of the reason it's hard for me to see things because I know, like it's a lot for me. That's why I have to like do the YouTube no ads. Yeah, I mean, now it's an interesting thing. Like you know, it's a lot of brands that are like afraid of its customer like and really like a lot of corporations that are very timidly putting friendly, diverse commercials for that, you know, and they always wanted to appease everyone. But like now I think there's a lot of timidity to it. Some of them are still creative.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Obviously Geico changed the world. Yeah, definitely there it should be some type of award just like yeah, like that Gecko should win like thing of the year, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time Gecko.
Speaker 1: Of the Year because it's like like I mean it did like it made everything not about the product, just like removed from it.
Speaker 3: I think that's my opinion. My I probably have an interesting view on this. I love good advertising. Yeah, I respect it, Yeah, because I'm like, if that's if it's true. Obviously it's true. That's that's a big part of it. But I love it when someone has thought about the aesthetics, someone has thought about the presentation. I can respect that that required a lot of brain power, right, It required that in any potent, it requires some inner potential. It didn't they didn't just go oh yeah, I just turned up.
Speaker 1: I mean, bro, it's like good advertising, Like, oh well it's I also respect the Edward Burnet's you know, manipulation of it all, just like, man, you really got me, you really get just.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but there's something there is fascinating to see. Who had the ability to shift human behavior that is fascinating to observe. And I think if we observed that more, I think we wouldn't get as sucked in by it, right, Like, because what we're saying is we like good advertising, but we know when it's advertising. Yeah, And so I'm not saying I can I'm not susceptible to it, but I'm saying that being able to see what's working on me.
Speaker 2: Well, it's helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just that exactly that that what you're being presented. Okay, this is a this is probably a lot. So the two parts. One, I'm perpetually trying to change my mother and test their capacity for change and her ability to question the source. Hey, is religion, as you've learned it something that may have been manipulated over time? And like, are all of these things like the divine word of a divine being or are they influenced by kings and politicians alike over the course of the two thousand years since? Right, So there's always that, And so like I'm probably to a degree that is unhealthy cynical and skeptical and definitely believe conspiracy a lot. But I also think that the belief of conspiracy is dangerous, right, Like, so it's like trying to find middle ground.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's just like because like the belief of conspiracy is like why we know anti vaxxers, right, Like, it's just like every everyone's like but Tuskegee experiment. But I'm like one that doesn't really make sense because to me, of the government's intention was to control the population. Then when they put the thing in the vaccine that actually saves you and kill everybody else.
Speaker 2: That's a conspiracy.
Speaker 1: You know. That's a wild thing to say too, but like but like, but like it's just a rabbit hole of never ending things. So it's and I get that it's difficult to know truth in news source now, but like it's trying to find middle ground between like having a respectable I don't know, your own internal checks and balances for where you get your information and where you get the information that dictates your life.
Speaker 3: And it's hard. It's it's just plain Yes, it's hard because it's like it's exhausting. Its exhausting. Where do it go? And I don't And I want to be honest and said, there isn't a place to say, hey, go to this website that gives you the best news, because there isn't, like you know, and so you're always going to have that, And I I wonder how.
Speaker 1: You'll definitely be less happy, Yeah, like that that's a thing, Like with information, you'll be less out. But I think we're all less happy anyway because we're receiving so much information anyway, so you might as well, like receive information that forces you to self examine correct self explorer.
Speaker 2: So it's like we're inundated with in any.
Speaker 3: Way, Yeah, if you can make time for.
Speaker 2: But we make.
Speaker 1: Time, you know what I mean, Like we do make time like the busiest person, like like you know, all my front and I know that I have like the luxury of not having a day job. It's half a luxury because I do need to be busy to not drive myself crazy. But like you know, those I know that are like working like twelve hour fourteen hour shifts still find time to like be inundated with information, you know what I mean, Like a lot of it's numbing, and again it is exhausting, but it does lead to I think a healthier life, you know, like self awareness and being able to increase My mother is fearful of the ground that she's been walking on being moved, and I get that, but you know not, I just wish it wasn't at the sacrifice of self exploration.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that you just hit on something really powerful. Like for a long time, I believe that what people most needed was care and love, and I started to realize that for most people, they weren't searching for that. They're searching for safety. Safety, and an ideology. Safety in a relationship, safety and security and stability is what people are looking for. And so the challenge with confidently exploring an emotion or an ideology feels unsafe, yes, because it makes you question what you're standing.
Speaker 2: On everything, everything.
Speaker 3: But that requires you to recognize that it's more unsafe to not examine.
Speaker 2: Yes, what you think, Yeah, that's what. That's a giant leap.
Speaker 3: That's a giant lead.
Speaker 2: It's a very very giant leap.
Speaker 1: And it's like it's easier to live under the law of platitudes, you know, and not explore.
Speaker 3: How do you find as a as obviously, like as a comedian then as an actor, right, and like you're directing, you're you're creating, Like how does that help you explore the truth differently? Or what is that doing that's different for you personally because obviously now we just we've literally just been extraveling how you do this as a comedian and how you do this in your work, But then acting and directing and creating is totally different, right, Yeah, yeah, Well, I mean you've been playing your parts of yourself.
Speaker 1: I've been doing that, and I'm trying to do less of that. I don't want to be a multi hyphen. I'm not necessarily chasing that. I do think that I have a skill in multiple things, but I would like to create focused work and and and so even like acting in directing, my my last movie is something that I would never do again, and I'm very thankful. I believe we pulled it off and made something that can resonate with people. That I would rather focus on one thing. I think that it's important, you know, even like the idea of like egot is cool, I would rather be the best at one of those things, you know what I mean, Like, but they do all have one thing in common, and that it's like finding truth. And as an actor, I do believe the more I've explored my emotion and walls, I started doing psychoanalysis a couple of years ago, and it's been very helpful, letting me find the thought underneath the thought and actively get in touch with intention, right, and acting is believing, And it's easier to get in touch with intention when I've explored them, you know.
Speaker 2: And I have more access to.
Speaker 1: Different intention now, uh, and so I am excited to act more Now. I feel like my whole career is you know, just been me learning and building up until even it will continue to be that. But recently I feel like I've had more access to the truth and made like a conscious decision to do that going forward, or at least to try so.
Speaker 2: So I think that would make whatever I'm doing better. But yeah, sure, that's like the common threat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt that because even the idea in the movie of like two men making a suicide pack, like that concept.
Speaker 1: Only works if you play it truthfully. People were afraid of that movie. On the counter three was very hard to get financed. Nobody wanted to do it, you know, very luckily found Two.
Speaker 3: What was the reason that people don't like making movies?
Speaker 1: Well, well, one because what comedy it's with the assumption that it isn't truthful and that it will be made fun of and just dismissed and made light of. Right, And I like my show, and like I've always believe that you can find like a lot of humor while taking things seriously, you know, like and to me, that's the best humor. Like my favorite movies, even the movies I think are the funniest, you know, like you know, watching a Coen Brothers movie or Safty brothers movie, or even directors who don't have a brother they're funny because it's so real. It's hype of real. That's my taste in my sense of humor. To me, Counter three is like, because of the stakes of it being your last stay on Earth, it's actually aspirational in a way. You know that allows itself to be very very very very funny, because it's like, you know, it's sincere.
Speaker 2: They really think this is the end.
Speaker 1: These two, these two characters and Avou really believe that, and we take seriously the reasons they're there, and it just makes a product that keeps my attention. I think people have respected it and respect the film more because it takes depression seriously. It takes treatment of it seriously, and it takes seeing suicide as a resolution seriously. And we weren't afraid to treat the audience like the You know, if you've experienced this, if you've had these thoughts like one, you know, I do believe that it can be triggering, so it is important to know yourself when going into it. But I do think people who have and I've now been able to talk to people and read things that people have written about going through depression, having suicidal ideations and even attempts, and connecting with the film in a way that they didn't expect because it was truthful, you know, and that was important, and laughing at it because it was truthful. And so you know, that's always the gamble. I'm willing to take that, like being truthful, treating my audience as adults will pay off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it was hard.
Speaker 1: It was really hard, know one, Like it cost me a lot of my own money, like went broke making the movie, you know what I mean, Like like it was it was really really hard, but really worth it, really worth even just as an artistic statement of fearlessness to explore it was worth it.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, just I'd seen your work and I think when you sit down with someone and this is why do the podcast, it's like to really hear about why they do it, and then you get a deeper appreciation of what someone does when you know why they do it and how they think about it and how far they go off the edge to do it. And I just find you really inspiring on in a different way than than i'd usually imagine with comedy, because it's not just enterainment, it's not just galvanizing a crowd. It's not holding attention. It's it's like the ability to encourage us all to move in the direction of our fears. Yeah, yeah, and you're doing that, whether you're saying that or yeah or not, that's what I feel encouraged to do through your work.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you saying that. My friend Bowl always says that, like more the access to fearlessness, right, and like, I'm trying to make things that report on these moments where I gain access to like it's yeah, it's almost like journalism.
Speaker 3: It's really it's really powerful. It's super powerful I mean I feel moved by it personally because it helps me think about how if that's your intention behind the work you're doing, that's the same as any other And if someone is in tension of improving people's lives, that's exactly what that's doing simply by that shift. Because yeah, whatever we're scared of is holding us back in so many ways, and and you know, that's the basic thing we all know, but it's very rarely exploreding content as the soul intention, like it's you know, yeah, yeah, people think, how do we make this make money? Or how do we make this make people laugh? How do we make that? And those are all like beginnings and ends, they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's the it's the thing that most has.
Speaker 1: My attention right, Like it's like it's like, all right, there's a monster under the bed. Okay, well I could sit here, I could eat popcorn, I can watch TV, I can think about anything else. Everything in my life is about this monster, like until I look, and I want to make art about looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love that. I love that. Jared, It's been so awsome talking to you.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 3: We taking the time, this is I mean, I'm I'm genuinely like, this has been one of the most fun conversations I've had in a long time. And it's because the reason why I do this for myself is I love sitting down with people where I don't know where things are going, Like I don't know where the conversation is going to go. Yeah, yeah, it's fun, and that's what I enjoy so much because I was like, I just want to get to know this fascinating human like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it feels free, associative and therapeutic. So I really appreciate you and you have beautiful lives.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's what, that's what.
Speaker 1: It's almost too powerful. I had to look away a couple of times.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love the sound of your voice. I can listen to your voice, so we've got equal appreciated. I was like, his voice is just so nice.
Speaker 2: We're going to collab on an ASMR channel.
Speaker 3: I'm in, except my eyes don't help them much.
Speaker 2: People gaze and I'll read.
Speaker 3: I'm in. You let me know, but Jered, we end every episode with the final five. This is the fast five, so the questions have to be answered in one word or one sentence maximum wowe word to one sentence? All right. The first question is what is the best advice you've ever received?
Speaker 2: Don't take advice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is the worst advice you've ever received?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 3: I love it? Question number three, I think we already answered this through the podcast, but I always like that, how would you describe your current purpose with what you're doing?
Speaker 2: Find truth? Love? That?
Speaker 3: Question number four is what is something that you used to value that you don't value anymore?
Speaker 2: Privacy?
Speaker 3: Mm? Why did they? I'm going to go off piece first. That's a really interesting answer. You didn't used to value privacy before what made you start to value it?
Speaker 1: I realized that a lot of the things that I wanted to be private were because I was ashamed of them. So I realized that a lot of like people will share anything and quickly I'll tell yeah, please, I want to know sorry about Like my father that kind of represents this thought. Like my father, uh called me and asked me one day, like if I was doing stand up again, and it's like, so, you're gonna make another special And I was like, yeah, why he was like, he was like, you're gonna talk about me in it. I was like why, why why? And he said because you mean and it hurts my feelings. And I was like why, Like how am I mean? And he was like, you know, you put our business out there like you talk about family business.
Speaker 2: I talk about like his you know, the kids.
Speaker 1: That he's had that were a secret for many years, and my sexuality and and like and I'm like, one, you had all these kids, like you you made it public, like you had children, like you made a public you call it that, you call it put in our business out there because you're ashamed of it. My father, this is a man who will talk to any stranger who will listen in an I hoop lobby about like his open heart surgery and like any private personal like talk about his medical history. What anybody will tell everyone his son has a television show and his home address, Like, but this is private. It's like, no, this is shameful, Like this is something you haven't contended with, Like just thinking about what privacy means, right, What.
Speaker 3: I f I'm fascinating about that is how does your I'm going to tell this is not our fast five now and we get to the fifth to one last, But how do you find that, as someone who's had to go through their shame, go through that, uncover it, how do you extend that same process to your father and mother and other people you meet, because now you know how hard it is to do that, and when you see their resistance and reluctance to do it, how does that change how you feel about them?
Speaker 2: With their shame, It's hard to be around. It's hard to be around.
Speaker 1: And I realized that in some ways extreme and in some ways it's a luxury to be able to like not talk to certain people in my life, because there are kids who feel that way around their parents, and I wouldn't suggest.
Speaker 2: That they run away from home, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like but like, so there are people who have jobs and reasons that it is they can't be fully truthful and I and I do respect that, but I it's hard for me again the monster in the bed. If there's one thing that it's hard to talk about, then it's hard for me to talk about anything. And so right now is my family, my mother and my father come to terms with me being gay. It's difficult to talk to them because we can talk about everything else. You know, they watch My Special and like to me like the most like the part that aches is the part of like me talking about coming out and my struggles to be with them, and that was the part on the first phone call. And even still like they didn't even acknowledge they they went like, oh, I know, I know you went through a lot carrying your father's secrets and that type of thing. But they didn't talk talk about that because they don't want to, and we can and I could have a very pleasant relationship with them, and that would just feel excruciating to me right now, right now, and maybe I'll I don't know if I'll become numb or become calloused, and I always pray that I don't become better. Yeah, you know, but it's hard. It's hard to extend because you can't extend. You can't make everyone truthful or say the things that you want them to say. Of course, but I am, you know, trying to control the relationships I have based on my ability to be truthful with you.
Speaker 3: And I love that you're giving yourself the permission to do that because I think that is this step process towards whatever evolution it goes on. It's like when we don't give ourselves permission to be in the uncomfortable of like, well, I can't talk about this, so I can't talk about anything else. We're like, no, no, I don't want to be that because that makes me a bad person, right, A lot to be a shame around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, No, Permission is a good it's a great word.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Otherwise you just live in the cycle. It's crazy easy repeat the past to stay in that jail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you feel a bitterness internally, yes, because you never freed yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, you stayed.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right. Fifth and final question of the whole interview is if you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow. What would it be.
Speaker 1: I do believe that do unto others stands, you know, I think that's probably the it's the golden rule and whatever. But like if that were somehow law, do unto others as you would have done unto you, from seeing the divinity in people to being truthful with people, like the things that you want, you know, I think you would give more at least.
Speaker 3: You know, Gerard Comic or everyone. I hope just the first and many times we get to hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah more, I feel like I feel like there's still like packets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the first to many, this is the first and man more pockets. And it's always nice get into lay the land of someone's foundational thinking and then get to learn more. But thank you so much for doing this. Any last messages, anything you want to everyone who's been listening, watching back at home or whether you're in the car or whether you're at work, wherever you are, make sure you share what you learned, what you took away, any insights that resonated with you. I think for me, I'm being called to think about how I can be pulled to release any shame I have. How I can have more open conversations with my friends about any guilt that I'm holding on to. How I can use art to move towards my fears as opposed to away from them. I think a lot of us think of art as an escape from our fears, when actually they can be an exploration, as Gerard said today. So I thank Gerard for joining us to thank you all. I hope you share this episode with someone who needs it, but thank you for listening. Thank you so much, thank you, thank you. If you love this episode, you're going to love my conversation with Matthew Hussey on how to get over your ex and find true love in your relationships. People should be compassionate to themselves that extend that compassion to your future self, because truly extending your compassion to your future self is doing something that gives him or her a shot at a happy and a peaceful life.