Speaker 1: Hey guys, So I've always wanted to do some sort of like top Episodes of the Year rundown thingy. This year, I had a little extra time before taking off for the holiday, and so kind of threw something together just based on what the episodes were that you listened to the most. In future years, I'd like to open it up for voting get your input. But for this year, we're just gonna be rerunning each of the top five episodes while we're on holiday break. And yeah, here is the number four most listened to episode of the year. It's one of our new format episodes where we started interviewing expert guests and ask them about things we weren't smart enough to speculate on.
Speaker 2: So here it is.
Speaker 1: Hope you enjoy Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh one, episode one of Ally's I Guys Say production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness. And it is Tuesday, August twenty second, twenty twenty three. You've been waiting for us to get to this day, so the week can tell you that, it is, of course.
Speaker 2: National pecan Tourt Day.
Speaker 1: There's so many days for peacans Man. The con farmers have gotten to the National Day industrial Complex.
Speaker 2: We'll go alright while you're, you know, enjoying all those sweet sweets. Don't forget It's also National Tooth Fairy Day. Shout out the Tooth Fairy Union. National Surgical on College this Day, Fuck cancer, shout out to the surgeons, though that'd be trying to battle it. National Bow Day, International Day of commemorating the victims of Acts of Boyah, my god, it's so long acts of violence based off religion or beliefs. That's a tall one. And what's one more, just to make it super fun? The last one is National be An Angel Day, just being a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, every days National be An Angel Day for you sweethearts.
Speaker 2: Thanks Hey.
Speaker 1: My name is Jack O'Brien aka. Don't go chase sin Zazz love Ball. Just stay on the picket line until that asshole pay is you. I know that you're gunna have to compete with AI yall, but I think that strokes are so bad. That is courtesy a Fighter of the nightman Underscore AAA on the discord, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host mister Miles.
Speaker 3: Gra miles bray Aka, and I've trible ten thousand miles and I'll travel ten thousand more to be the world's.
Speaker 2: Most renowned auctioneer. I will tribal ten thousand miles or more. Shout out to no clue when I catch up on the discord for combining. You know that Proclaimers track with that State Center is Colton Moore, who basically wrote his entire Wikipedia article and had to shout out the fact that he's traveled seventy five thousand miles doing auction Oh yeah, that's right. Yeah, while also trying to cover for Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It counts every mile that he travels.
Speaker 2: I respect that. Actually that you.
Speaker 1: Just never get over it, Like, look how far we're going.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you really want to stunt, like you know, we could we could pull the passports out, young man.
Speaker 1: You know, businessmen do love to do that ship too.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. The status dude. The fucking airport any fucking like airport bar, you'll see two dicks in suits being like, yeah, like you know, I just got I just got my million miler status, so you know I'm back status dude. Yeah, taking my family down to Bali next week. So yeah, gotta get the stripped miles.
Speaker 1: You're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a brilliantly talented filmmaker writer. She was one of the head writers for the Problem with John Stewart and wrote on Girls five, Have a Blessed This Mess, The Opposition with Jordan Klepper, among many others. She wrote, directed, and starred in the acclaimed short film Basic Hosts the podcast Celebrity book Club. It's Chelsea Davanta.
Speaker 4: Oh hi, b intro like shouting my name into a cave, you know, seeing what echoes.
Speaker 1: Back to a cave full of the entire Internet. So that's right, the whole damn Internet is here to welcome you on.
Speaker 4: The I'm feeling very blessed to be back here and continue some very important discussions.
Speaker 1: Yes always yeah, So this is this is our Tuesday episode where we kind of take a look at one specific topic that we think kind of undergirds the whole zeitgeist. There's important to understanding the zeitgeist.
Speaker 5: Y undergirds are what I use instead of spanks, so.
Speaker 2: Very they were the yeah, free date spanks. That's right, what's my undergirds? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, so we wanted to have you on. You had one of our favorite observations in the history of the show when you you basically said that you knew Trump was going to win the twenty sixteen election based off of watching The Bachelor, and then you explained why, and it made perfect sense and looking at pop culture tea leaves and like reading what it acted, like what is actually being said about what's happening to people on the inside. What has gone on with our shared dreams is one of my favorite subjects. You are really good at it. We love to do it on the zeitgeist, and so we wanted to have you on to do just that, and we'll get into what specifically we're talking. Actually we can do that now. I mean we throughout stan culture being the new religion. We've talked about that before. But this one subject keeps popping up on social media. Popped up over the weekend after we had selected this subject, and that is kind of like the desexualization of pop culture. Movie movie sex scenes in particular see to be like a particular thing that is that people are objecting to lately and are like, why do these exist? When I watch an eighties movie? Why does Dan Aykroyd get a blood job from a ghost, for instance, And that one's actually a really good question. But anyways, there's all sorts of things we've talked about before. The idea that like de sexualized beautiful bodies is like actually a feature of fascist art, and so we've puzzled over whether that's what we're seeing here. But there's lots of As this has become more and more of a mainstream thing that we're seeing on social media, there's lots of explanations, and we thought you were the best person to have to have on the show to talk about this.
Speaker 4: I'm thrilled to be here to talk about like very hot sexy bodies not having sex. No, but I was so fascinated you guys chose this because it's also something I've been thinking about a lot. Also just as like a side topic and where I'm coming from. I was, you know, the writers are on strike right now, but before we were on strike, I was pitching a show and one of the demographics it was going out to it was gonna be like part for millennials, part for gen Z sort of this basically like late twenties, early thirties audience that people seem to think millennials and gen.
Speaker 5: Z are just like so so so different.
Speaker 4: So when you're pitching for like that late twenties early thirties, executives start referencing studies like the ones we're going to talk about, like gen Z actually isn't having in sex anymore, so like like can one of these characters just like not have a partner of any kind and they just like live in a hole and they stare at a wall because that's.
Speaker 5: What we assume gen Z is doing.
Speaker 4: And it was so frustrating because every time I looked around, be it from people in my real life, the youth of the real life, TikTok, social media, really anything, I just kept feeling.
Speaker 5: Like that is not true at all.
Speaker 4: Even in gen Z reality shows, like they are getting engaged, they are getting married, they're talking about dating kind of like the same way. You've always had this feeling of like, you know, I want to be having good sex, but I'm not.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's something particular to me.
Speaker 4: And my friends, but like I remember in my early twenties, it was like, yeah, we would like to be having sex, but no one's having sex, Like sex in the city like that just feels like the twenties thing, unless, of course, you know, I'm sure some people work. But anyways, all to say that, like I really think about these studies that are being referenced, like gen Z is like this, and dah da da is like this, and all I keep thinking about is like who's doing these studies?
Speaker 5: And maybe gen Z is just not participating?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, don't you know what?
Speaker 4: We're actually not going to answer the polls about like what we've been fucking lately.
Speaker 5: We're just not because I just don't think they're correct. But I would love to hear what you guys think.
Speaker 1: It's like the political polls that are like, man, these elderly people certainly over in they seem like they're doing great, and it's like, well, how did you conduct this? Calling land lines exactly exactly?
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, I guess we didn't predict the election correctly off of the one hundred landlines. And then the I mean, how weird do you have to be to pick up the phone these days? Who is answering the phone? We're trusting them with our polling data. The people who answer an unknown number, I don't trust them.
Speaker 1: We actually asked a bunch of gen Z people's grandparents about their sexual behavior. And this is what they told me.
Speaker 5: This is what they told us. Yeah, I just I think so anyways, I do.
Speaker 4: But what I do think is a really interesting discussion with this fascism thing is. And the thing that I've been feeling is is that I'll say, as a millennial to the gen Z's is perhaps lacking nuance discourse nuance, which I don't know how. I mean, how close do you think lack of nuance and understanding nuance is to turning fascist right, you know, on the nuanced to fascist spectrum. I do think we're somewhat close, but I don't think it's fascism. I think it's nuanced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's probably true. And we we have talked before speaking of David Zaslave that he's a real gen Zer because when he saw flea Bag, he paused it and told everyone that we're if we're either going to turn this trash off for the sex scenes or we're just gonna watch it and nobody's allowed to look at me while we watch it. So he was very scandalized by a second.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he.
Speaker 4: Didn't want people to look at him as he was just coming egregiously back.
Speaker 2: Eyes off. Yeah, hands free, watch hands free, hands up, hands up? How well.
Speaker 4: I think that's also another good point though, of like people like Zaslov and them are at the top of our TV pop culture right now is plugged in.
Speaker 1: I can just finish your sentence.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that's exactly.
Speaker 5: What I was gonna say. God, he wants to look cool so bad.
Speaker 4: I saw him wearing three popped collared shirts the other day. Three So that's a jacket, that's a shirt, and then there was another shirt underneath three, and all of them popped collars, and then the little pockets on the jacket popped.
Speaker 5: I said, come on, my dog.
Speaker 4: But anyways, all to say that, like normally I think we look at pop culture and it can really reflect what you were saying, reflect back on to like culture culture. But right now I'm feeling that actually only reality TV and social media can accurately do that, because people like Zaslov have been making television decisions for a good five years and they're not accurately reflecting culture anymore.
Speaker 1: Interesting, all right, well we are. That's what we're going to be talking about in the second and third act. First, we were there first. That's what's something from your We need to get to know you better? Oh my god, get to know you.
Speaker 5: We we do like.
Speaker 1: To ask our guess, what's something from your search history that's revealing about who you are? Sir?
Speaker 5: You know what? I'll do it live? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll go in lie.
Speaker 4: Oh well, we're gonna get to it. But Chloe Bailey, patiently responding to swarm sex scene backlash, I was an article I'd read a while ago, but cueued it up for our conversation.
Speaker 2: Got it, got it? Got it?
Speaker 1: What is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Stay with me on this.
Speaker 5: So I was getting very nostalgic for magazines.
Speaker 4: US Weeklies, people holding it in your hands, someone basically curating your feed for you and telling you this is what people are paying attention to. So my husband got me a subscription to US Weekly, and I was like, yes, back in the saddle, here we go. And I know it's like, Okay, print media is dying, blah blah blah, but wow, oh my god, has this magazine taken such a turn to the point where even if we don't rate us Weekly highly anymore.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is is still too high.
Speaker 4: Like in the magazine they are now printing celebrities own Instagram photos. Wow, okay, so it Instagram, yes, paper Instagram, but like sometimes like out of date. So it's like, over the course of six months, Selena Gomez posted a photo with a fish, and then someone else did, and now there's just a page in US Weekly being like, look, sometimes celebrities fish and it's like I already saw that on Instagram and you just like put it through your printer, Like, what's happening?
Speaker 5: Do we not pay paparazzis anymore? Do they do not have the money for that?
Speaker 4: Like, are we not curating like thoughts throughout the fish photos?
Speaker 5: It's just And then I started going through all of it and like the just they're just like us, that's it's just just printing Instagram. Still, I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: I remember it used to be like the paparazzi things like you go to sprouts whatever.
Speaker 4: Now they're like, oh, look, Chrissy Cheeking dances in her living room. It's like yeah, because she's holding the camera herself, what.
Speaker 1: Are you doing?
Speaker 2: Oh wow?
Speaker 5: As soon as I just.
Speaker 4: Couldn't believe it was still a magazine, and then they're like atoning for their crimes, Like do you guys remember when two celebrities would be caught wearing the same dress and they'd be like who wore it better? And they it'd be like one percent for me and a suvari, like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, everyone thinks you look like shit.
Speaker 5: You look like shit in this dress.
Speaker 4: And so now they're sort of like they've learned like, oh, we're not you know, we're not supposed to like pen women against each other.
Speaker 5: And so now they just put a little thing that says twining.
Speaker 2: Oh but.
Speaker 4: Boo boo, tell me a story, do something interesting, Like I get that. I like, yeah, like, don't put them against each other? But like that was it twiny? And they just they just past photos of them in dresses going twining, and then the silent part is who were it better?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, which twin do you prefer?
Speaker 4: Yeah? And the comedians used to make fun of fashion in the back, like the back page se sad pathetic comedians like myself being like tent dress, I'd go camping in that, you know, something like that. And now it's people being like mules are very in pink is in color?
Speaker 5: Is a color that's in this season?
Speaker 2: Bright green? Are you missing out on the Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wonder like, do we think this happened because budget cuts at US Weekly or because there's only one magazine now and so they like don't have to compete with anybody, so they're just like, I don't fucking care. Let's pretend green is a new thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I you know, I was thinking about it and I was like, Okay, are they just sort of getting like is this a thing where most of Americans aren't on social media?
Speaker 5: So this magazine is like still helping people, but like.
Speaker 4: No, like six, six out of ten Americans are on Instagram, you know what I mean? And I think the four that aren't don't subscribe to US Weekly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Like the people I know who aren't on social media, they damn sure don't give a fun about celebrity culture. Eve. Yeah, they're like on their own shit. They're like, I know, I'm I operate on a completely different system than other people exactly.
Speaker 4: And this is where it's like, oh, print media is going out of business. Well, it's like I think they've been told time of death is in four years, and they're just trying to like in their lives early, Like I don't know, I Like, it's as if they're like, no one's like.
Speaker 2: That, right, They're like, I'm not gonna bust my ass as the factory burns down. I'm gonna fucking just kick it and just you know, just like it get singed in the corner. Yeah, exactly. We used to every week. I mean we used to buy all the tabloid shout out boyd Watch where we would buy like every tabloid like National Inquirer, Globe, all that shit, and then all the gossip mags like people in Touch. And I'm curious now to see, Like, I wonder how much the pandemic has changed that coverage, because even then it was still doing like who wore it better? Yeah, and other things and just being like they're just like us. But it was like the old you know, the paparazzi shots out in Malibu where somebody wearing big glasses with the Starbucks trained to cup or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she kind of looks sad. I bet she's divorced.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, was like, oh dude, this child paradise.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a subtext of every photograph, wasn't there. One was like Brad Pitt touched raped Jennifer Aniston's stomach. They're fucking pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly one miles. That was an entire that was in every magazine for ten and a half years.
Speaker 5: Every day she's pregnant, she's pregnant.
Speaker 2: Why would you touch your stomach right after eating if she wasn't.
Speaker 1: They hadn't seen each other for fifteen years, and they're like shocking new photos suggest that they're back together.
Speaker 4: It's like Angelina Jolie says, he's pretty abusive on a plane.
Speaker 5: Jennifer Aniston pregnant with twins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cut to Jennifer Aniston missed me with that gossip.
Speaker 1: But US Weekly was purchased by American Media, Inc. Which is the owner of Lake Choir, National Choir and all that. Like the actual blows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean then it should get juicier.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 4: I have to say, Like I listen, I subscribed to some GUS newsletters and they're so funny. They're so fun The ones include pictures fucking ty. If you printed that out, I would buy it for three ninety nine. I just like it's as if like they brought in they brought in a bunch of granddads to run this weekly in there, like I think my wife said there was uh recipes.
Speaker 1: They almost definitely did, because like what that was One thing that we noticed about National Inquiry and like the actual supermarket tabloids was that they seemed to be made by and for people who were in their eighties. Like truly, it was just all about like this elderly celebrity might be dying last days for Dolly like that that was Every other issue was about how Dolly Parton was dying. But for the most part it was just old old people news.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I guess that's really just the demographic. It's them and me with a.
Speaker 1: Subscription, right, I'll read what is what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm doing a little like you know, my mine go together like they match?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Reddit.
Speaker 4: Now again you'll be like, yes, Reddit's really popular. Schelse like what are you talking about? But again, I feel like a bunch of communitians myself included, have always used Reddit as a punchline as like oh, the like the trolls, the sub humans, you know what I mean, Like, who cares what's like happening on Reddit? And I have some Google search terms up for my podcast and I did this Carolyn Callaway Natalie Beach episode and somehow, you know, one of my Google alerts brought me to a Reddit thread. Before clicking it, I thought like, you're not supposed to do this, Chelsea, Like this is not.
Speaker 5: Whatever happens from here is like not gonna go well.
Speaker 4: And when I got there, I was like, holy shit, this is some good discourse. This is some really smart, high level discourse. And I think there's been a shift. Granted I've not been real checked in to Reddit, but like on TikTok comments and Instagram comments and Twitter, they all kind of like derail the discourse and it always goes into like your you're ugly that and should die, Like somehow that always gets there, like within the first three minutes.
Speaker 5: Reddit is for the people who are.
Speaker 4: Like we we we want seven hundred characters, we have something to say, we need a real forum. And I just I found some really elevated topics in there, and I was like, I cannot believe I haven't been living here the whole time.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's definitely all about like what subreddits you go on, Definitely what the energy is of people because yeah, some places are just total toxic meltdowns constantly. Like it's funny even how like sports teams will have different subreddits where like some people are like, na, that other subreddit is for like the fucking wishy washy daydreamers who don't actually know ball we know shit on this subreddit, and like you'll even see like people with the same interest like no, you guys over there, serious shit over here, or like if you want a ship post, do that there. But yeah, there really is.
Speaker 5: But that's so it's like they're.
Speaker 4: Yeah, creating internal guidelines, they're kicking people out to the other threads. I saw this thing where it's like, yeah, we don't like I saw this battle of like, don't call this girl pick me.
Speaker 5: Don't use pick me energy. It's a sexist term.
Speaker 4: But I was in a thread for people to shit talk other probably women. I was in the thread where you're like, isn't this woman so fucking stupid? And someone was like, you are misusing pick me right right? That is toxic, And I was like.
Speaker 2: Where am I hello, professor?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just really yeah, I really liked it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a really good point. I think that's a really good underrated because Reddit does like it is still used as shorthand for like dumb Internet like trolls and in cells, and like that's definitely not exclusively the case or even like largely the case. I feel like there's usually like if you want to find a way to like use the Internet that doesn't make it feel like it's completely broken and your every page that you go to is taken over by ads. Just like put a Reddit filter on all your searches. Just do like whatever you're looking for and then Reddit, and you're going to have a better time on the Internet.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See how like on Google when people have like questions about like day to day things, the like when it auto fills, Reddit will be like one of them. They're like how to change car battery? Reddit? You know, then like YouTube because like it's really interesting. I mean I'm I'm on Reddit a lot. I you know, obviously, like you go, like the shit I'm interested in, I go I check those subreddits out and it's fantastic. There's other ones I just like to watch, Like there's one about economics where like a bunch of economists choke. It's like you'll never get consensus with like with two economists in the same room and then like they just like laugh, like all high minded economy economic shit, and I'm like, what the fuck. I'm like, this is kind of interesting, But yeah, there's it's there's truly something for everybody there. Like I was on a subreddit where people just be like I just found this thing? What is this? And then people come in They're like, oh, I've been a plumber for thirty years. This tools actually used to like stop a drain or blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: People like whoa, Yes, it was a plunger.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 2: It's like like goes down a drain and like inflates. It's like when there is and when there isn't a stopper. It it's like some very specific plumbing tool. But it just looks like a lightsaber. So people were like, I don't know, I.
Speaker 1: Just found this ship encrusted lightsaber.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 4: I think the mob mentality of Reddit is very It has a higher IQ and EQ than TikTok mob intelity. I think if you went on TikTok you're like yo with this plunger.
Speaker 5: People like you idiot, you didn't know what this is. And you'ld go on Reddit and they'd be like, we don't talk like that in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well yeah, there's there's like some people on subred it's called like no dumb questions, like where people go and there's not like people were like, I'm sorry, what is Selena Gomez? And like a kidney thing I keep reading about.
Speaker 4: Please, Okay, this sounds like I should go there because I've got answers for that one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's another one. Yeah, out of the loop. You'd probably like because that's another one where people come in with like pop culture questions and they're like, I'm sorry, who is D four four VB the artist?
Speaker 5: I love this?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel sad for myself that I missed out on Reddit for so many years because I just assumed it was like you know what I mean, it's a lazy punchline of like these losers. So it's like, hmmm, they're pretty smart. They want to type out paragraphs like that takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty smart.
Speaker 2: Just don't venture anywhere where like you may be the topic of conversation that's subreddit specific.
Speaker 1: To Miles's point, not great place to find out about Donald Trump. If you're just reading from a Donald Trump reddit subreddit not a great place to see crime solved in real time, but then in absolutely nowhere is good at crowdsourcing crime solution.
Speaker 4: Good point, but listen, specific genre of books, that's where I'm at. Get to the book places, influencer snark threads, you know.
Speaker 2: There there there's like foam Wah, which is like a Dumois kind of I don't know, have you seen foam wak? Yeah?
Speaker 4: But you know what, I am so so out on Dumois and foam wa because it's like they have made every single person into a paparazzi.
Speaker 5: And I don't trust half of these paparazzis, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean like every time they're like, hey, guess what you know Toby Maguire is suing his wife a non please, It's like that could be that honestly, could.
Speaker 5: Be my grandma.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Have you read Last Weekly ten years ago and it's like, guess what I heard?
Speaker 4: Like it's like, you know, we have to I want to read the Juice and know it's real, and now it's not because it's just some girl being like SoC Crystalia without his mask in a coffee.
Speaker 2: Shop, right, right, right, bo. Also, yeah, Victor in the chap brings up going a shower or you know about shower oranges. No, please, this where motherfuckers they go into a hot shower and just just just cave man bite into an orange.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, it's just they're just saying that you should eat an orange and in a shower because of the accommodation of hot shower and cold orange.
Speaker 2: Like it was caping for shower oranges right now.
Speaker 5: It was very sexy and was very like just.
Speaker 2: Because the posts I read on shower oranges, I'm more in, like, I'm more interested by the ones where people like, guys, I did it. I just I just let my animal instincts overcome me. I just bugged it out with this orange and the shower and it was beautiful, and they see people like, would tangerines work?
Speaker 1: I mean, one of the things I like about the concept of shower oranges that you can just peel it and drop it wherever you want, because you know, shower peels are pretty much waterproof, but.
Speaker 4: Then you're leaving them there, okay, but then it was just the joy of dropping it just great up later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I gotch I think, yeah, I think it appeals to like really messy people because it seems like the appeal is get all messy.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I'm not I'm not some you know, very put together person like that, but I guess it doesn't appeal to me, like, yeah, get all gross, but the water just watches it away. You know the thing you hate about the way you want to eat in real life, which is let the food get all over.
Speaker 7: You, like I don't know, maybe all right, so everybody just wants to just bite into a watermelon from the outside in, stick your head through it, and then just like throw the rind everywhere.
Speaker 1: Right, No, yeah, that's just all right, moving on pool watermelons. I'm just saying, all right, let's take a quick break, and when we come back, we will talk about the de sexualization of pop culture. Is it a thing? What does it mean? We'll be right back and we're back, so just a couple things to kick us off. More and more we're seeing like these reactions go viral. There was one over the weekend where a woman describes the movie Oppenheimer and like that her and her husband wanted to see Oppenheimer, but they had heard there was a sex scene you know. They she looks to be in her i'd say like late twenties, early thirties, and it's it's.
Speaker 2: Just a it's wild.
Speaker 1: The way she's talking about the sex scene as if it's like a thing we can all agree is like traumatic and not something that like anybody wants to watch, and like they talk about like how they got through it. They did their research, they like looked when it was going to happen, and then they like close their eyes during it, and this comes. I don't know what her deal is, what her husband's deal is, if like, you know, this is part of a long running social media presence where people know like that they have some past trauma as a couple or something like that. So I don't want to like dive too much in and be like, what a weirdo. She also has like a Jesus fish on her wrist, like tattooed on her wrist, so it could just be like religious stuff, but like this does seem to be. I think the reason it's getting so much traction is people are seeing this as a take more and more where people are like, finally someone says it, like sex scenes are weird. They make me feel gross. I don't want to see them, and it came out a lot with Oppenheimer in particular. But Chelsea, I just want to open the floor to you on this subject of like a step back from horniness as media consumers.
Speaker 4: Well, first I have to say I haven't been totally drawn to see Oppenheimer, but after that video, now I really want to go, Like I found myself being like I have to know what this sex scene is, so I don't, you know, I don't know where that puts me perspective, But now I want to see the movie.
Speaker 5: Have you guys seen it? Is it a graphic sex scene?
Speaker 1: I'd have to know it's not graphic.
Speaker 2: It's actually like really so if you only have missionary sex, yeah, it's straight like the woman. Yeah, that was the most risk thing.
Speaker 5: And it's it's like nudity, yeah, there's.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, there's there's some nudity. But I actually think, like it feels very strange, Like Christopher Nolan has traditionally been described as like being somewhat of a sexless filmmaker, like he made a movie about people's like going inside people's dreams, and no one, no one sucks at all, Like nobody like sex doesn't even exist inside these people's dreams. Sex doesn't really exist inside most of his movies, I would say, other than like the Joker character is kind of the most fuckingest character that like he has, and like any of his movies in the sense that like he is like this kind of creep but like, at least there is a sexual energy with the Joker. But anyways, this seemed like he was responding to that and being like, oh, yeah, I can't do a sex scene, and it just feels it is a weird sex scene. The first one is really like it feels almost like self parody to me. I don't know if I went in with a if I went in being like, I'm going to hate this Christopher Nolan sex scene. But I think he's trying to fight against the idea that his movies are dead sexually and he failed.
Speaker 5: It sounds like he failed.
Speaker 2: I think he did.
Speaker 1: But I also I think he's popular, at least partially because his movies take place in a sexless universe, and I think people want that from their movies, like from Blockbuster movies.
Speaker 4: Well, it's yeah, there's so many one after that description, no two after that description.
Speaker 5: I want to see it even more.
Speaker 4: I just have to know, I have to know it's the only thing that has brought me to this movie. But yeah, there's so many threads to connect on this, but kind of the number one thought that comes to my mind is something I talked about with my one of my best friends, Ashley, who's also a television writer, which is that prior to this moment in culture, sex scenes have somewhat always They've always been bad story wise, so there's never there's almost I'm gonna say Deadpool is maybe the one exception where like a sex scene actually had to be there to move the story forward. But usually sex scenes are like a brief intermission where like, you know what I mean, because the moment they've gotten to like kissing, we know, okay, so we're there story wise, So if you're gonna show the full sex like you just kind of sit in it, and so then it really is to be a very it's just exists to be a sexy sex scene, which was way more needed in previous generations where like that was the only time you were going to see a sex scene.
Speaker 5: Sexy sex scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wearing like the trench coat and times square. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Thinking that like some examples of sex scenes that needed to exist and that I think should inspire people to like think more creatively about sex scenes. Is like Parasite has a really interesting sex scene. Not an American film, but it like shows this like really wealthy couple like kind of having this weird sexual encounter on the couch where they're like fantasizing that they are like part of this lower class that they looked down on and suppress. And like I thought that was like a good that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's another going when we were like, oh, there's like meaning and.
Speaker 4: Purpose for yes, But I feel like, yeah, sort of traditionally and for the most part, sex scenes exist simply to be sexy and they don't move anything forward, and almost all of them have been written and directed by you know, white cis men for a hundred years and so, which and which I'm bringing up to say, like, I think if our previous cannon of sex scenes like had had any sort of other like sexual lens on them, that could turn a different portion of people on. I wonder if we'd be having this conversation. But because of that, people are sort of looking at this as like Oh, like you can go back and look at what was I just watching. It was a it was it was a movie where you're like, oh, it has a lot of sex scenes and you rewatch them and you're like, oh, all of them rape scenes, like and you just don't It was a it was a movie that had let me look hold on it was Sharon Sharon Stone.
Speaker 2: Basic.
Speaker 5: I think it was basic instinct.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like blinded by the most famous part of that movie and too, but I think it is basic instinct.
Speaker 5: But there are other sex scenes in that movie and they're.
Speaker 4: Just all rapes and and but they but they're films like sex scenes, and so I think this sort of like pushback to stuff like that is is built on one hundred years of only one version of sex theme shown on screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think like just the other thing. As we were like thinking about the Nolan and like, is he popular because he's like a particular like sex doesn't exist in his cinematic universe, and like his sex scene in Appenheimer seems like it was directed by somebody who's never had sex. Like I was also thinking about Tom Cruise, who, like the whole kind of argument against him has always been. This guy has like no sexual charisma, like he just like you can't really picture him having sex. Really, he's like kind of this beautiful creature who doesn't have any like you can't really picture him. And like the other sex scene that made me identify other than the Appenheimer one, the one that made me identify with all the people who are like, please stop, was the fucking Top Gun too sex scene where it's like, uhh yeah, it's just so weird. Like all of a sudden, the movie starts to feel like it's an ad for a retirement home. Like not that they're like that old, but the vibe of it is just like this, like it like feels like a like Viagra commercial, like.
Speaker 5: Totally because also it's just like dead.
Speaker 1: And remote and like takes place in heaven or something.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 4: And the the you know, the first hop Gun, the most sexual scene in that movie is a abs at the beach playing volleyball and they crush it.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, you're was like.
Speaker 4: And then in the second movie they did it again and I don't know if you noticed, but they had to shoot Tom Cruise like profile and silhouette shirtless like it was a very like long lens technically shirtless on the beach, but we're really going to focus on on miles, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: Games they're super high for no reason. This is just how people wear their jeans now yea yeah, But.
Speaker 4: But they crushed it in that beach scene too, and where it's like no one's no one is I don't feel like, yeah, I feel like on the most part, it's like we can take sexy abs at the beach, but like actual sexual intercourse, like I don't even know, like don't film it. It does feel like very uncomfortable, which yeah, I have to say that when you brought up this topic because personally, I feel like this is when it goes into gen Z. I'm sort of out on all the like gen Z is not having sex. It's like they were in a pandemic during the years when you learn how to put your mouth on someone else's face, so you know what I mean, So like you where there's gonna be a lag and like I you know, I'm not believing all of these the so called data of like they don't believe in sexy or I don't think that's it. But what I do think is true is that there's been a lot of sexual education, but not that second step into the nuance of sexual education. So like things feel very cut and dry, to the point that in the television show Swarm, which Chloe Bailey was in, I don't know if you guys saw that, but it has a very very graphic sex scene in the pilot, and a bunch of people online truly believed they were having sex. So they wrote into the television show accounts and on TikTok to be like, why did they make Chloe Bailey have sex and seem to have no understanding of.
Speaker 1: The art of television.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pantomime, Yes, like pantomime set you guys, they're not it's not happening. There's like, you know, protect sheer protection cups over their parts. But that's where I'm like, this is a nuanced understanding, mental alacrity, how to live in the real world issue and less of like what is like we don't like sex anymore issue.
Speaker 2: Because there's like a few ways to look because I think of like erotic thrillers, right, And it was like the eighties, we were you know, the conservatives. Conservatism of the eighties sort of like helped build up the pressure for like in the mid eighties for these films to start propping up, like you know, coming up and people like, oh, actually fuck with this. By the nineties were so horny and dumb. Yeah, these are our greatest to movies. And I think like there's an uptake for like a few reasons after, Like it's just kind of as we were talking about this and just like researching the topic and everything is like one really interesting thing is you point out is like a lot of those erotic thrillers have like sex can be dangerous, but also these women are crazy and will kill you. Yeah, And I think part of that is like the AIDS epidemic was already making people question the quote unquote dangers of sex or how sex could lead to like your eventual death right. And then there's also like this sort of evolution of sexual agency where like, again to your point about these like male writers and directors, like it almost feels like for them, they're getting out their anxieties over like an evolving new form of sexual politics coming out, and like what does that mean for dudes? Like are they just gonna fucking kill us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, what what sexually turns them on, you know what I mean. It's like it's like one dude's fantasy, Like she says, no, what she means, yes, I said one to I meant hundreds of millions stitutes, but who made all the art? But it's like, had had there been like to take this to the to the porn conversation, like like it is so hard to find porn that that that I personally like, I know this is TMI, but it's more of like a female thing like and I'm talking about like I don't like when the house is dirty.
Speaker 5: And I'm not talking about like I like it clean.
Speaker 4: It's just like if there's like a super dirty mattress, it's just so distracting it like or like put a sheet.
Speaker 5: On it, you guys, like what is it?
Speaker 4: And it's just like the actual ambiance and the actual atmosphere.
Speaker 5: And it's like stuff like that isn't thought through.
Speaker 4: And I feel like if our history of sex on TV and film had included other people perspectives of point of views of what turned them.
Speaker 5: On, yeah, yeah, there wasn't such a backlash.
Speaker 2: Right now, I.
Speaker 1: Don't mind a backlash against sex scenes that aren't doing anything interesting or like same, yeah, like like the Oppenheimer's sex scene, like the or uh not mission, the Top Gun two sex scene, Like I'm fine with people lashing back against that because it's not doing anything. I just don't want people to not feel like they can express that part of the human experience because like there's something bad about inherently bad about sex scenes as opposed to like there being something that is inherently bad about how sex scenes and sexual like energy was expressed in film up to this point.
Speaker 5: That's really well said.
Speaker 2: Yeah there's I mean like there's other dimensions too, like when you look at it, like I'm also like where does capitalism factor into this too? Because you know, like there was an analysis of like from just like around two thousand, like post nine, like right after nine to eleven to like two thousand and six, like all these films and like seeing that sex or nudity like was not like a like a revenue booster for films at all, Like it really did nothing, like didn't move the needle at all. And then you think about like you know, I guess eyes, why shut It's just like our sort of lasser prestige eerotic thriller. And that's two thousand and there are a couple you know, trickling out after that, but then you have like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter come out, and then the studios are saying like, oh man, these like broad fucking movies, like we can just start like these are just money printing things, and like maybe we just need to go all in on this shit too. So I know there's like a dimension of that. But then I also think of like the taboo element too, which is like to your point, even Chelsea, of like you know, in the eighties and nineties, like this was like a date night thing where like you go.
Speaker 8: Like, I don't know, like there's some sexy shit going on up there, and we don't have to feel bad, yeah, because there's no online porn where we can just kind of like blow the doors open on everything we desire, So it fills that sort of need.
Speaker 2: But then there's also like the taboo where, like I remember, as like a ten year old middle schooler, you would talk about these movies, not even because they were worked, like it's like a good movie. You'd be like did you see it? Did your parents let you?
Speaker 5: Minute and thirty seconds in on the VHF exactly.
Speaker 2: And become a man. Yeah, you will. You will know what it looks like if you go to that scene, like what. And so I feel like for my generation too, like we were like somewhat educating ourselves in this really bizarre way with these films. But then also I think we, like the nineties were so hyper sexual, Like I feel like it also burned us out to the point where now you're looking for something a little more nuanced rather than like, well, when's the part where they're going to show a topless woman in the movie.
Speaker 4: Totally And also I think it's sort of that thing we're talking about, which is like it's just a call for better art. And also I think there is a call for better porn, like consensual porn, porn being but like I think there's just a call for like being better because we did get educated and now with the Internet, this generation is like the most educated. I mean, I was just thinking about how Harvey Weinstein, you know, maker of many many Mirramax films made free to Callow, which was this you know, supposed supposed to be prestige filmed with Ama And there's this famous story where he's like, you need to do a full frontal naked a lesbian scene in the Free to Colo movie or I'm not gonna make it, and Salma thinks to herself, like, I really think the story about this woman is important, So I guess I'm gonna do this sort of softcore porn scene that makes absolutely no fucking sense again because people like Harvey Weinstein were in charge, and I feel like it's more of a pushback to that, or even going to Swarm, where they think, like, you know, this sex scene is kind of really glorifying the male character, and Chloe Bailey's character isn't It's a very like male sex scene again, and they're sort of like, what about her consent?
Speaker 5: Why does she have to be used like this?
Speaker 4: Granted I don't think they're understanding it's fake, but that sort of nuance of like this.
Speaker 5: Is so silly.
Speaker 4: But it's like they've been taught about consent and me too and assault and being better, but also not how to still be sexy or how to still like go forward with it, and so it probably does feel like a very like just don't do that type of situation.
Speaker 1: Or that it could be a statement. I actually haven't seen Swarm, but like swarm, but like it could be a statement about like, you know, every film character is not meant to be a model of virtue, right, Like sometimes you're showing bad people doing bad things or like and the like that. I feel like that becomes a problem when you're not allowed to do that without being seen as like approving of the behavior that you're depicting in the movie.
Speaker 2: Right yeah.
Speaker 4: And I feel like I've seen that a lot too, which kind of goes again to like the nuance and art and how like that has sort of that conversation I feel like has gotten so stilted in places like TikTok, whereas in other forums.
Speaker 5: It's still alive. R.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a quick break, real quick, and we'll come back and keep talking about this.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back, and Miles, I think you're about to ask school.
Speaker 2: Oh just yeah. I mean, like, you know, the other thing is like we just kind of the evolution. I just think of like where I got my sexy imagery as someone born in the eighties, like through you know, like coming of age and then like late nineties ats and things like that, and it feels like at a certain point like it was like, oh, a Van Damn movie is gonna have movies in it, Like that was a shorthand in my mind, like you you were like conditioned to know like certain directors, actors, whatever, like there would be that sort of thing and then you But but then like a lot of the sex or sexual content just really kind of shifted to like our popular culture, like it didn't have to live in these sort of movies like basic what about basic instinct kind of thing. It's like, it's in my music videos, it's in the advertisements, it's on cable TV at night. So it's almost like I don't know if it's like also, again, this sort of diversification of where that sort of content lived to the points at it totally omni sexual, like everywhere was sex. So that also feels like another point where that I guess the appeal of it only getting it directly from film begins to wane a bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And also like if you're like, Okay, check out this Van dam sexy scene, or I can go to my OnlyFans of a real person who is alive who's doing my niche fetish and will look into the eyes of the camera and say my name right, Yeah, what you know what I mean, So when you go back to a VANDAM movie, you're like.
Speaker 5: Boring, sid move it along.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, I was just thinking of remember when Seth MacFarlane did that Oscar song called boobs and yeah the movies you can see boobs in And that was twenty thirteen and the response.
Speaker 5: Was like yawn like on like yeah, that's.
Speaker 4: All you're in it for, and it's like shitty to treat women that way. And it's like I'm still I'm still here for a song, Like I still need to get to a place where like Seth McFarland can sing a song about full frontal dick and he's got thirty movies to reference, Like I think I've got one, you know, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: There, Harvey Kaitel, Yeah, yeah, I mean so I do still think it's interesting. So like the Weles you were talking about, like they made it, did an analysis in the early two thousands and found that, like nudity was not something that drove money making, And I think rather than just that being always true, I think that's probably an indicator of like changing tastes in like filmgoers, and like the whole thesis that I have about movies is like, yes, they're like commercial ventures, but they people pay money to go see them because they are getting to see something that is happening that they can't really access inside them up on the screen, right, And so like that's why I think it's interesting that like early two thousands, like as the country was becoming like explicitly fascist in the like War on Terror, and you know that that was a time when suddenly people were like, yeah, yeah, we don't, we don't want to see this shit. And I agree, like it definitely has to do with like that there became there like suddenly there were better places to get that. But I also I don't know, like there it does feel like they're one of these articles from I think slash Film was saying that it it's there's been like sort of an internalization of the PG thirteen rating when it comes to like our movies, where that's just kind of what people expect from movies. And I do think that there's like I think that happened because corporations came through and like overtook everything, you know, like that the big example that this blood Knife article uses the bloo Knife article that we'll link off to on the footnotes is called Everyone's beautiful and Nobody's horny or something to that effect. And it's about like superhero movies where everybody you know is just trained within just like an inch of like perfection, just like and that does that goes forward the superhero. It also goes for like the FBI agent and the background character and you know, like that that's just how everybody is supposed to look perfect. But then our favorite filmmakers, this guy whose movies take place in a world where like dreams don't have sex in them. And I think that there is something to the idea that like so fascist art, like when you look at like what was popular in Nazi Germany, like the films of Lenny reechinstall with like these documentaries where they would like glorify the human body and particularly the male body and like its strength and muscles. But like completely it was all about power dynamics, right, it was nothing about sex, and in fact, like sex was like to be completely removed from the equation. And I feel like there is like we obviously those movies also had like Hitler and it was like and all of the sexual energy is to be like sublimated to your religious fealty to the furor and like that horny for Hitler only, horny for Hitler only. And now it feels like it is done to sublimate to like the broader just kind of ideals of capitalism, and like the the fact that there's like an internal understanding of like, yeah, why would they put like Iron Man fucking in this movie? Like it wouldn't make as much money. And I root for this movie because like that's that's my team is Marvel and so like, and Marvel is winning against DC, and so I don't know, I think it's interesting. I don't think it is like I don't think it's a telltale symptom that like America is headed towards some sort of fascism with like a central fascist leader. But I do think it says something interesting about our relationship to this all consuming like capitalistic ideal where it's like, yeah, no, we just take the sex out of everything, because like that is not actually making money for the thing that we want to see make money. And we're all on board with that, not just David Zaslov, like we're all on board with that, because it doesn't like you can just get my sexual content elsewhere.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna push back on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, having written in late night comedy for I can't now I'm trying to do the math. I don't know, but I feel like the like, are we turning fascist think pieces like make the Rounds every three years?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And it's like are we are?
Speaker 4: We? Are we to the point where like it's not even gonna matter because the term fascist now I mean something different to everyone. It's lost all meaning like we're never gonna know you know what I mean, It's gonna be here and no one will have any understanding on it. But taking this back to where we started, the Bachelor, I will bring us into my main basis for this argument, which is that The Bachelor is dying a slow death.
Speaker 5: It's definitely slow, but it's just every season it's dying. It's dining simeon.
Speaker 4: And this last year we got reality shows about dating like Love is Blind, like The Ultimatum, Queer Love, which is Milf Manner one of the best shows I've ever watched, would you.
Speaker 2: Say, Miles, I said, Milf Manner.
Speaker 5: Milf Manner. I did watch every episode, Yes I did.
Speaker 4: And that's actually a great one to reference because in the ultimatum Queer Love, they've got cameras on and you, I mean, you're watching porn for a second, and you're watching porn if someone you've intimately gotten to know like all their relationship issues. And that show was wildly popular, and on TikTok the discourse about queer love stories and like there was an entire storyline of like, you fingered the woman I'm in love with and where's your fingers go? When did they start? And how did it happen? Is that considered sex? And then there's a conversation of like, everyone, you know what I mean? Is that penetrative sex or not? Do we count that as sex? What is the consent needed for finger sex versus other sex? And you're life and TikTok is like going nuts and loving this conversation. And everyone is loving that show. And I think it's because it was It was showing sex in the way that we understand and want to see it now, which is like real authentic. It's not through this like very singular patriarchal lens. Even on like Love Islands, they live in bikinis. They live in bikinis and they switch partners every other day for fifty episodes every season, and it's crushing it. Like love is blind, you know, they talk about are they having sex?
Speaker 5: Are they not?
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, the Bachelor, which is a very sterile show, which would fit this sort of like fascist thing where it's like overnight sweet, like the door closes and like who knows is dying a death.
Speaker 5: And popularity and so interesting.
Speaker 4: If we look to reality TV, I would say we are still very much here for sex, but we're no longer here for it in the ways that are harmful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like it's it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 4: And then if sex scene is to like make you feel sexy, you don't want to feel bad while you're watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeaheah.
Speaker 1: So maybe my ultimate plea is like that movies do something interesting with their sex scenes because that's what people want. And it's not that people are necessarily fascist, yo, that they just want something interesting and not like the traditional eighties movie sexy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To Chelsea's point, like again, I was raised on the Buck Wild movie sex scenes, you know what I mean. And then then you know, the Internet kind of was like I was like, Okay, I think I know what I like and to the point to Nuance Like, now I'm like, how come they not kissing in this porno? I'm like, nah, now I'm off this, Like y'all need to be making out as shit, like I need to, like I want to see y'all be passionate, right or y'all like in Bridgerton. I just started watching The Second Sea. There's like one moment where this one character she just says she said, mister Bridgerton, and they just have like a look at each other, and I was like, oh shit, like and then you say shit, except like there was just a very tense moment and the release was just saying it and they shared a look and I was even like, damn, that was all right, Like yeah.
Speaker 4: We're like you're just like doing it well, you know, like that was hot and I didn't need to just see you coldly simulate motions.
Speaker 2: Right right exactly like making the back of the beast with two backs as it were. And I think, yeah, we're I think because we've moved on from just being like will they show sex?
Speaker 6: They do yes, And then once everyone now this is I do want to say this is a direct attack on me, because that is a direct quote from something I said earlier before we started rowling.
Speaker 2: So I didn't do the fist pump though, like I didn't do the double fist pump, yes, but like yeah that now we're so like, you know, it's like when you like you're you get introduced to a new cuisine in the beginning, anything will do, and then as you formulate tastes, you're like, no, actually, I'm like, it's not just about having you know, steak or whatever or whatever. You know, you just you begin to actually understand what it is that is appealing to you. And I think, ye, yeah, I think it's like it's just sort of simultaneous cultural evolution along with the amount of things we've been exposed to that kind of puts us in this different place.
Speaker 4: And I think it's the problem with art meeting capitalism right now, especially like we're in the writer strike and the whole like you Go Woke, you Go Broke movement, which is that like people come in and try and quantify it and do the data and the statistics and what's selling when what's not selling and actually this is in and that is en blah bah blah.
Speaker 5: But like the thesis is good.
Speaker 4: We would love a good movie we would love a good movie, and the moment we get a good movie, they go, oh, do that again?
Speaker 1: Do that again?
Speaker 4: Or like, you know, network television was dead, then abbot element comes up?
Speaker 1: Right, it was?
Speaker 5: It was good, right, Everyone goes.
Speaker 4: Workplace comedies, right, workplace comedies, and you're like, oh, okay, so that's nuts.
Speaker 5: That was not the only thing that made that show good, you know.
Speaker 4: And I just feel like people want really great art and every time it shows up, they're gonna love it, and every time it's shitty, they're gonna hate it.
Speaker 5: And then people are gonna drain it down into headline.
Speaker 4: Pieces of what could sell more or less, and they're gonna miss the point, which is that if it's good, it sells, and if it's bad, it does not.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, Chelsea, such a pleasure having you.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I knew I would learn a lot. I did learn a lot.
Speaker 4: Were you guys horny the whole episode? I just need to know, like, you know, was it a horny episode for you guys?
Speaker 1: I was quaking. I mean you could see that I was quaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel that for Justin, he's gonna have to cut out all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was an edge lord the whole time, So.
Speaker 2: Shout out the goon everybody gooning out there. Yeah, it was all I was all sax music in the background, playing.
Speaker 1: Where can people find You?
Speaker 2: Follow you?
Speaker 1: All that good stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Please come listen to my podcast.
Speaker 4: It's called Celebrity Book Club with Chelsea Davantes, but it's so much more you guys. We discuss female celebrity memoirs. We also do some pop culture stuff. I inspired by you guys. I did an entire Bachelor episode talking about politics and where we're at now, and someone pointed out to me that in our Republican years is when we had our worst bachelors too.
Speaker 5: It's, you know, the method. Still I am.
Speaker 4: I am our data scientists on elections and so anyway, come listen there. And I'm on Instagram at Chelsea Devantes, and I do like I post things from books and stuff and have conversations over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Is it Wait, so that the thesis is that when the bachelor is bad, we elect Republicans.
Speaker 4: No, No, it's when we have Republicans in office. It's also cultural times where we are enjoying shittier bachelors who break the rules and are only out for themselves and ourselves. Okay, shit, but they're so entertaining. So like Pete's the pilots, you know, like if you just look at our Trump Bachelor's, they're the worst of all time and they're very selfish dudes.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, So maybe that's due to casting on the part of the producers of The Bachelor.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and I think thinking of like like where we're at, Like Ari, You guys remember Ari as a bachelor. They brought him back and he like does the old switcher roo at the end. You guys are nodding, but you have no idea what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Before I remember because Anna no, Anna would regularly play because what's Ari's last name? It's like Louis. It's like a, oh is that one.
Speaker 5: Ari gray hair? Race car drivers?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, the race car driver guy. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yes, I'm savvy. I'm savvy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Colton, who was like in the Closet, did an entire season as a fully gay man, choosing one woman.
Speaker 5: He then stalks her.
Speaker 4: She has to take out her string order on him, and then he's like I've been gay the whole time, Like wow, this is where we were at in the Trump years?
Speaker 2: Right, amazing, Hey do we get our first black bachelor and the Trump play heard it too?
Speaker 5: Right, Yes we did.
Speaker 4: And that's also when we got our racial Reckoning season where they brought in one black guy to host the reunion and then guess what he left never has never been heard from again. They brought him in for the Racial Reckoning then sent them away. Anyways, what was I saying?
Speaker 1: Follow me on Instagram actually get more takes like that? Is there a work of media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh so much.
Speaker 4: You know what, let's just give a shout out to milf manor it is not what you think it is. What it is because it starts and they're like, you're gonna be dating young men, and they're like, that's tight. And then the gate opens and it's all of their sons. Yeah, okay, so it's all of their sons. And then they're like, and you're going to share a room with your son, but you're gonna date the other sons of these other ladies here, and you're like, this is maniacal. And by the end of the episode, they've all like they're all just kind of like teaching their sons about like how to put a condom on a banana.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. It's also one of the worst made reality shows I've ever seen, Like there's no host, Like it feels like Lord of the Flies with like weird incestuous prompts that they have to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they send them a text message like read this laud.
Speaker 4: They're like, all right, I guess we're gonna go to commercial break now and then we come back. We're gonna put on Blindfeld's. We're gonna feel up our sons. We're trying to choose which one is my son?
Speaker 2: Oh, this is definitely him.
Speaker 5: Oh this is my son. This is my boy.
Speaker 2: There's some moments where I'm like, they've destroyed my mind completely, like in ways that I did not I did not expect. And I think I'm know because the depravity or whoever was behind anyway, it's out there.
Speaker 1: This this episode has been the greatest add for trash reality television maybe ever goods I'm about. I guess we should ask the question like if Germany had access to trash television, like is the whole Third Reich avoided?
Speaker 2: Maybe, well, we'll trash television save us or bring us our next president.
Speaker 1: That's right, Miles, where can people find you as their working media?
Speaker 2: You've been enjoying at Miles of Gray, where they got at symbols. Find Jack and Iron a basketball podcast Miles and Jack got mad boosties. If you like trash realities, guess what. Check Sophia Alexander out on four to twenty Day Fiance where we talk about ninety day fiance, which is also pretty garbage. And then if you like some true crime, you can still catch me on The Good Thief talking about the Greek robin hood and all that. I don't have a piece of media, but I've been watching the newest season of how To with John Wilson, and there was a couple of moments where I've been like wow, wow, wow wow wow. Anyway, it's it's always an interesting show. So maybe check that out, all right.
Speaker 1: Tweet I've been enjoying is actually Ben Rosen at Ben Underscore. Roseen tweeted John Wilson narrating the Zapruder film. So you decide to go for a drive, but not everyone thinks that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Wow, dude, the delivery.
Speaker 1: On that, and Pat Tobin retweeted an image so I don't know who made this, but I think about it a lot, and it's a side by side the sky and scenic locations. It's just a blue sky the sky at grocery stores and it's like this gorgeous, dramatic cloud sunset which just resident like totally rang true to me. I've seen some of the greatest skies of my life doing the most boring, like mundane shit in my life and then you like go on vacation to someplace and it's just blue skies. So anyway, fuck blue skys, is what I'm saying. Wow, the shout out to grocery stores. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrien. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist, where at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram, we have a Facebook fan page and a website daily zekeeist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnote we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy, Miles LIS's song do you think people might just.
Speaker 2: You know, something nice get us into the week. This is George ben j O R G E D E N. And this track is called Dominga's It's so dope. George Benn is one of my favorite Brazilian artists. I'll never I'll keep saying that every time someone asks me that, and his singing's fantastic, Like the beginning has like a really dope you know, like I feel like if I was sampling, i'd sample that first maybe twenty seconds. But anyway, Dominga's by George Benn.
Speaker 1: All right, we will look off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Guess is the production of by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to y'all that bite, say horny