Speaker 1: Everybody's still courting with an army and normal folks. Welcome into the shop for shop talk, Alex, how are you? I'm doing well? Bill?
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Normally we just kind of play with the avid seeing you like I haven't seen you in five or six days? How you do that?
Speaker 3: That's also pathetic, and it's usually when people say that, it's like you haven't seen you in a month or in three months, like I haven't seen you for five or six days.
Speaker 1: Well I haven't. And you normally are in the shop every day looking at our Sundrys. It's nice not to drive three hours around trip. That's true. That's good. Gosh, it's true. How are you seriously good? Good?
Speaker 3: Actually going with the kids all next week and we're going to Chicago. We're really doing a bunch of fun stuff all there. And I still have a ton of family there.
Speaker 1: So I was going to say, I know your family moved to Florida, but you.
Speaker 3: Used to have lots of up Thereably got the fifteen people there.
Speaker 1: Are all Bears fans. Yeah, okay, all right, everyby this shop talk number one fourteen. What forty million tax returns reveal about America? Actually, I know a little bit about this because we've talked about it in the past. I think you guys are going to really dive into it and like it. Hold on, we have first there you go. But first, in honor of shop talk, wasn't fourteen and our lovely history lessons? We like to play with Alex what happened one hundred and fourteen years ago today? Well? First, Bill, what year was one hundred and fourteen years ago? Well that would have been nineteen eighteen, ninety nineteen twelve. Do this right, Yeah, you're own a business whatever. I've been here such for this woman, So kissed my butt. The Titanic sank really April fifteenth, nineteen twelve. Well, in that hilarious. We shouldna be laughing about people dying. You just did it this way the Titanic sake. That's great.
Speaker 2: It's not great though, that's said so funny. Okay, let's we're both going word dog, But it is it like one hundred and fourteen years ago the Titanic said.
Speaker 1: That's that's yod I may I mentioned this before.
Speaker 3: That was my dad's birthday, also the day Lincoln was assassinated, and also Tax Day.
Speaker 1: It's quite a day in American history. Incredable. All right. The other thing, the modern oreo cookie was introduced. Really yes, Oh that's that's a huge thing. Anybody liked a national biscuit company.
Speaker 3: I don't know that was the original name of Nobisco, nobisca national biscuit company.
Speaker 1: Do you uh? Lisa introduced me this. She she makes homemade chocolate chip cookies and she does it with the oreos and she puts them in the freezer so they're really cold and hard. But and then she puts a glass of milk in the freezer for like fifteen minutes and then gives me the glass of milk with a hard frozen cookies. Man, I never thought, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: It's Grace saying the world. So the oreo thing is important. Have you ever had My mom taught us.
Speaker 1: We do it.
Speaker 3: The kids like white chocolate covered oreos and then you put it in the freezer. They are ridiculous. I don't know if you've ever seen the movie parent Trap. Yeah, the Lindsay Lohan versions, the more modern one where do you know what she does with the oreo? She dips it in peanut butter.
Speaker 1: No need, have you had it? No? You got to do that? So good but you got to have milk for something like that. You don't have to be you have to. It's a moral imperative as an American to have very cold milk when you eat stuff like that. All right, let's get rolling, Okay, Coming up on shop Talk number one fourteen, where oreos were invented the same year that the Titanic sank, which is interesting in and of itself. What forty million tax returns reveal about America? Coming up right after these brief messages from our genter sponsors, everybody, welcome back to the shop shop Talk number one fourteen, where Alex and I try to be exceedingly interesting. What forty million tax returns revealed about America? A few years ago, a group of researchers asked a question that gets argued about all the time. Does the American dream still exist? Oh? My gosh, how many times have we heard that the last decade? Does the American dream still exist? Before I even read this, I believe the American dream not only exists, but is more readily available today than it has been in the history of our country. The problem is social media, and all of it we've got has created all kinds of longing for what some might say is pretty unreachable for the vast majority of us. And then when we do reach what the quote American dream is, we're unsatisfied because we don't have the yacht. Okay, I'm just going to tell you. I think that's going on a lot in our culture today. But a few years ago, a group of researchers asked a question that gets argued about all the time. Does the American dream still exist? Not on social media, not on cable news, in real life. The lead researcher was Raj Chetty, then an economist at Harvard University, along with Nathaniel Hendron and a team of researchers. They did not conduct a survey. They didn't interview a few hundred people. They analyzed the tax records of almost forty million American children and their parents forty million. I would say this carries weight from a standpoint of the study. It's one of the largest studies ever conducted on economic mobility in human history. Their goal was simple, if you're born poor in the US, what are your chances of climbing the latter. What they found was both encouraging and alarming. The American dream, Oh they're saying, what I think, The American dream is still alive, but where you grow up dramatically affects your obs of reaching it. For example, they found a child born to parents and the bottom twenty five percent of income earners had about an eleven percent chance of reaching the top twenty percent of earners if they grew up in Salt Lake City. Holy moly, let me read that again. They found that a child born to parents and the bottom twenty five percent of income earners had about an eleven percent chance of reaching the top twenty percent if they grew up in Salt Lake City and Charlotte, that same child had a four point four percent chance, same country, same economy, same generation, but more than twice the odds of reaching the top simply because of where the child grew up. That's interesting. Now, that really is interesting, So you got to keep going. It raises an obvious question, what is Salt Lake City doing that? Charlotte isn't where the kids smarter, No, with the parents trying harder. Now does one city have better slogans? I mean, it could be argued, but not really. So the research dug deeper and they found four things that consistently produced whether children would flourish. The first was family, not perfect families, not wealthy families, stable families. Places with higher percentages of children growing up in stable homes, regardless of income, had dramatically higher rates of upward mobility. The second was community. The researchers called it social capital. I might call it knowing your neighbors, churches, coaches, mentors, volunteer organizations, people who know your name, people who notice when you're struggling, people who simply show up. Communities with stronger social connections consistently produced better outcomes for children. The third factor my big one. Education, not spending, not pretty buildings. Could kids read, could they do math? Could they graduate? Were they being prepared for opportunity? The fourth was the neighborhood environment, crime rates, trust, role models, the presence of working adults. So there's another big one, meaning to children, see people getting up and going to work every day, the presence of working adults. The researchers found that children surrounded by more employed adults were significantly more likely to become employed themselves. Really, kids become what they see. Now here's the statistic that absolutely floors me. Study Chetty and his team looked at families who moved. This is going to speak to the thing we learned from the guy in Charlotte. They found that children who moved from a high poverty neighborhood to a higher opportunity neighborhood before age thirteen earned approximately thirty one percent more money as adults. That is incredible. I'm gonna say it again. They found that children who moved from a high poverty neighborhood to a higher opportunity neighborhood before age thirteen earned approximately thirty one percent more money as adults. Thirty one percent not because they suddenly became smarter. They didn't work harder, They didn't, you know, show up. Somebody started handing out money because their environment changed. The people around them changed, the expectations around them changed, the examples they saw every day changed. And it even gets crazier. The recent found that every additional year of exposure to a better neighborhood before age thirteen increase future earnings by about one percent. One year, one percent, one more percent, another percent. I mean, think about that. If you earn thirty one percent more by age thirteen, if you move at three now, you're going to earn forty one percent more one year, one percent one more per year, the effects compounding. Those children were also more likely to attend college, less likely to become single parents, less likely to experience incarceration, and more likely to build stable adult lives. That's not economics, that's flourishing. Three of our four biggest predictors weren't programs. They were relationships, family, community, neighborhood, the things we often overlook because they seem ordinary. And who builds those things? Who creates families? Who mentors kids, who coaches Little League, who teaches Sunday School? Who starts businesses, who engages in their community? Who hires somebody trying to rebuild their life, who fosters children, who adopts them, Who checks on the widow next door, Who notices a struggling teenager, who organizes the block party or the potlock alex, who starts the service club, Who becomes the trusted neighbor. It doesn't happen at Harvard, It doesn't happen in DC. It doesn't happen in Manhattan. It's not the billionaires the people that do all that, normal folks. The research didn't set out to prove the philosophy and army and normal folks. But after studying forty million Americans, they accidentally proved the philosophy of an army of normal folks, because what they found is the American dream grows best in healthy soil, and that soil is made up of family, community, neighborhood, education, the very things ordinary people help build every single day. So maybe the lesson isn't that we need bigger systems. Maybe the lesson is we need stronger communities. Maybe the lesson is not that every one of us have more influence than we think. You may not be able to solve poverty. You certainly may not be able to fix Washington. You may not be able to reform the education. But you can mentor a kid, you can coach them. You can foster a child, you can adopt one. You can help somebody who has adopted a child. You can help a family who is fostering a kid. You can help a neighbor, you can strengthen a family, you can build community, And, according to one of the largest studies ever conducted, those things matter more than most of us even realize. The American dream doesn't just happen, but it is alive. It's cultivated, one family, one neighborhood, one community a time. See, that's what we mean when we say do what you can. That's a stark.
Speaker 3: My friend, so Joe Woodward on a recent episode, talked about this a little bit. I thought we might as well dive deeper into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, honestly, when you hear it laid out, it makes so much sense, and when we say it all the time, it makes so much sense. It's very nice to have the largest study ever conducted by Harvard with forty million tax receipts to look at and evaluate it across the spectrum of our unit in the United States to prove what we're saying and armunermal folks is the answer, community involvement, all of it. So when we say do what you can, we're actually saying, when you do what you can, you change lives. That's it. That's it. I mean, I guess I'll share one thought.
Speaker 3: It's been on my mind lately and trying to figure out what our service clubs too, just the whole idea of like doing life with people. I heard somebody riff on this too, like, Hey, if you're going to go to the Old Miss Baseball game, bringing.
Speaker 1: With you, you know, or if you're have.
Speaker 3: Dinner at your house, bringing with you, like you don't need to be like doing some big, grand like crazy things. Just include people who are less fortunate and all your activities that you would have done anyway, right, you could have exposed a kid to DC obviously exposing kids their football team all the time, but you know those kind of things, right, or bring them to the Grizzlies game, or you know, bring them out to dinner with you or hang out with you.
Speaker 1: I often this is not to talk about myself, which I almost never, never, never do like this, but I've often wondered what effect coaching football really has, you know. But then I think about, you know, we raise money to get our kids on charter buses, and we take them to eat at decent places when we're out, and by being good, we get to travel to other places. And a lot of kids that we've coached had never been out of Memphis, and so they're exposed to stuff, you know. And when young men who are thirty or thirty five or forty come back and say, coach, I remember when you said this, you know, it made me look at this differently, you know, It does make a difference. Just engaging in community, just engaging and someone that may not be as fortune as you, just getting to see a different look at stuff. It just matters. It's just an army and normal folks. It's just being a normal person and engaging where you might not otherwise, engage outside of your you know, your your vacuum of people and family, and it does change lives. It does make a difference.
Speaker 3: I always think of the story of Jeffrey Kanna is the founder of the Harlem Children's Zone. Like this great charter school network in New York, that's the Harlem Children's Zone Zone. Yeah, that's amazing. But one of his board members has been stand drunken. Miller is one of the most successful investors ever. But they would always bring the kids to his you know, like Penthouse, you know, part of it and New York kind of thing, but to see it and obviously spend time with you know him too, and I think you know, Stan probably gave them hundreds of millions of dollars, like just an incredible flathrobust to them. But they talked about this line, like anything in life, you need to have a taste of it, whether it's success, or it's drugs, or it's alcohol. You have to get a taste of it somewhere, right, So if these kids.
Speaker 1: That's interesting kid, never an alcoholic. If you don't first taste alcohol, you'll never have success if you first don't taste it.
Speaker 3: See what no one exposes you to it, or or what a stable family you know looks like?
Speaker 1: Right, that is such a good point. Yeah, so just the taste, just the exposure can light a flame that you know your life. You're riff at the beginning too.
Speaker 3: Talking about income and people's expectations, Daniel Kahneman and this other guy and Malcolm Gladwell have always talked about this that really happiness plateaus after one hundred thousand dollars worth of.
Speaker 1: Income, Is that right?
Speaker 3: So you actually do see happiness increase to one hundred thousand, and then there's.
Speaker 1: No money came by happiness to two.
Speaker 3: Hundred thousand, and Malcolm's original book with seventy five thousand, and then there's been you know, inflation since. So yeah, the number now is supposed one hundred thousand. You get no gains after that, no happiness, no happiness gains after that, You just buy more stuff Yeah, it's interesting and obviously it can create other problems too.
Speaker 1: No, that's also true. Yeah, okay, your body. What forty million tax returns were billed about America? The American dreams alive. People just need access, they need community, they need family, they need coaches. You better close this the right way, and they need you a taste, and then they need you. That's true. They do, They do need you. So that chap Talk one fourteen. I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, share friends of the social subscribe to the podcast, rate it, review it. Join the army at normal folks dot us, Join us Risk Club, buy some merch until next week. Do what you can, baby, Do what you can.