Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am like Spafford, joined as always by my trusted colleague West and had Kowitz. We're coming to you once again from disparate locations at lambeau Field because Wes, apparently Cincinnati sirens and raindrops were not enough to convince the powers that be that we really need to be back in the studio together to shoot this show the old fashioned way. So we're still going with this way for a little while longer.
Speaker 2: I did, of course, but I actually thought this was I thought this was your doing. I thought you didn't like the joke I made about you running from the law, and we're like, okay, I tried it being next to them again, I want no part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, we've all jokes aside. We have a lot of ground to cover on this show, West, because a lot has happened since we did speak last From the Queen City as they call it, and the Packers played their preseason opener on Friday night in Cincinnati, and the starter's got a little bit of action. We saw quarterback Jordan Love miss a third down pass on the opening series then directed a touchdown drive, finishing it with a scoring pass to Romeo Dobbs on the second series. If you have any thoughts on that, I will take them. But also there's a lot to talk about in terms of the rookies that shined in this preseason game, whether you're talking Sean Clifford, Emmanuel Wilson, Carrington Valentine. I'll turn it over to you, wide open for it. You can start wherever you want.
Speaker 3: I like how you said that too, Like if you have any thoughts, I'll take them, Like it's the village of Swamaco like town, like the meeting here, if you have any issues with your sewer and waterbell.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Hey, the thing I liked about it, and a lot of people in inbox have said it this week, Mike.
Speaker 4: It was probably it felt more like.
Speaker 2: A regular season game than a preseason game, and it's been a long time since it's felt like that the exhibition season now. I think a big part of that is the fact you actually did see some of the starters in the first two series, specifically on offense, Jordan Love getting to go down the field leads that touchdown producing drive. I thought Romeo Dobbs looked really sharp. You saw the beauty of Dobbs and Christian Watson together, the amount of attention that Watson draws on his man beater, and then you have Romeo Dobbs coming free, and Love just puts a nice, beautiful touch pass on Dobbs for the touchdown.
Speaker 4: So that was such a good start.
Speaker 2: I felt like a good continuation of some of those two minute drives that we've seen with the Packers offense, and all in all, I think it was really positive. But what really surprised me the most about this game, in particular, is the fact that you saw so many young guys on both sides of the ball, and even on special teams with Samory two Ray's big return guys just stepping up and making the most of their moment. You obviously had to edit inbox when I wrote this, but the Packers scored thirty six points in the preseason. That was more than any other team in the first week. But I also drew that twenty thirteen preseason where the Packers scored thirty seven points total in four games. It's not always again it's preseason, it's it's everybody you know, Vanilla defenses and all that but it's not like everybody just puts up a ton of points and a ton of productions. It can be really hard for offenses to move the ball when their first team starters are not in there. But Sean Clifford battled. You saw Emmanuel Wilson in an inspirational, emotional night for him, having one hundred and eleven yards two touchdowns on just six carries. A number of guys stepped up in this game, and to me that was the most encouraging thing of all is that these the young players that the Green Bay Packers have invested into, I thought they got off to a really strong start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought so too.
Speaker 1: I mean, and we're seeing potentially some you know, as we see in any training camp, we see some shifting going on.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Emmanuel Wilson.
Speaker 1: It was the fourteenth anniversary of his father's death at a young age, emotional night for him and his family. And you know, he rips off the one touchdown run in the red zone, looked really good, hit the hole sharp well. Then later on he takes one eighty yards to the house, gets a couple of nice blocks, and off he goes, showing off a little bit of speed that we hadn't necessarily seen on the practice field at this point. And you know, while be honest, Wes, I wrote a story a couple of weeks ago about the battle for the number three running back position. I really didn't think Emmanuel Wilson was necessarily up there with those other guys. And I'm talking about Patrick Taylor and Tyler Goodson and then the draft pick Lou Nichols. But Nichols has been injured, Tyler Goodson injured his shoulder in the Cincinnati game, and then Emmanuel Wilson goes off and has this tremendous performance. Now he still has a lot to learn in terms of the pass protection and those things. That's always the toughest thing for a rookie running back to learn and to get up to speed. But he threw himself right into the middle of that competition for the running back when it kind of felt like he was maybe on the outside looking in before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, and that is where you always see these young guys that you have to make a big impression, You have to have that breakthrough moment before you could start building on everything else. Because goodness knows, I mean, Emmanuel Wilson could be completely refined as a pass protector. He could make some nice plays with catching the ball, but if you don't run and you don't have those big moments, it's gonna be hard to get noticed.
Speaker 4: This young man got himself noticed and such.
Speaker 2: An interesting story he has obviously, as you mentioned, losing his father fourteen years ago. But he goes to a Division two school, Division two school at Fort Valley State, and this is one of these situations where he goes out for the draft, doesn't get picked. Was incredibly productive in college, but it's hard to get noticed. Sometimes he has a cup of coffee with Denver, then he ends up in Green Bay. Is sort of that, Okay, we need an extra back in this equation, right, Well, a couple injuries happen, and you see how quickly that injury can lead to opportunity. I don't have all the statistics in front of me. It's very hard to find preseason stats pre two thousand, at least over the last twenty three years. That is the longest rushing touchdown, longest run at all the Packers have had in a preseason game in twenty three years. The next closest was Whisper Goodman and it was not even sixty it was fifty six yards. It just shows you how incredible it was both the block that Rashid Walker threw on that play in the ability of Emmanuel Wilson to really go and capture that moment afterwards and take it to the house. As he said, he was even saying the coaches, they're not going to let me live that down. If I let the defensive back catch me there. I had to get to the end zone. He did it on that play. He's going to have to build on it. But the kid has the right mentality. The first thing that he said right after the game was I got to come back on Sunday and I gotta do these type of things again. And every moment that he's had so far, I think the young man has taking advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, the other big rookie standout on offensives was, of course, the fifth round draft pick at quarterback, Sean Clifford. And I tell you, Wes, I couldn't have been I couldn't have been more excited, interested, intrigued by just watching how this young man played because I've been doing this a long time. I know you've been doing this a long time.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 1: We have seen countless times rookie quarterbacks getting into their first preseason action and the immediately morph into checkdown. Charlie, right, every single every pass play is okay, nothing's there, and you know it's either take off and run or find the outlet. You know, find the checkdown, and you know, just try not to have a negative play. That's not how Sean Clifford went about this. Now, he did throw two interceptions. One of them was a pick six that was very avoidable. The other one was he kind of actually threw a fifty to fifty ball over the middle that he was hoping Tucker Craft would be able to fight for and maybe pull in for a reception. The defender was able to get it away. Those are mistakes that he'll certainly learn from. But he did not hold back whatsoever. I absolutely loved watching this young man. Absolutely let it rip out there. He played with no fear. He practically played with no conscience, almost.
Speaker 5: With the But that's what you love to see.
Speaker 1: I mean, how is how is the young quarterback going to learn if he doesn't just let the offense work for him, try to find the windows that are there, try to fit the ball in the windows and see what happens. And you know, whether you're talking about the slant pass to uh Dontavian Wicks that was late late in the first half that got him down there with a chance to score in the two minute drove before halftime, or when he scrambled out to the left and you know, didn't just dump the ball off but threw a twenty five yard pass downfield right on a dime to Samari Toure over by the boundary to create a big gain out of an extended play. You have to like what you saw from Sean Clifford in this game, and he gave himself off of just one preseason game. He gave himself so much to build on as he now gets more action in these next two preseason games, getting ready to be Jordan Loves backup for the regular season.
Speaker 2: Sean has not been perfect and he was even saying afterwards, He's like, I've made a mistake before. I've made several mistakes before. I'm not afraid to make another mistake. But I love that mentality, man, because you know, I understand there were some people that were questioning, okay, when the Packers trade, you know, draft him in the fifth round.
Speaker 4: You know, is this guy fifth round pick? Is he a priority free agent?
Speaker 2: All these questions, But it's taken us, what Mike, less than four months to understand why Penn State loved this kid so much. Why James Franklin and the coaches there like this kid because he competes, and he's not afraid of the moment, and he's willing to do whatever it takes to win a football game. When you were talking about the resiliency piece, right, the guy led four scoring drives, he led them down, was passing the ball really well, starts very fast, then he does get was going to be a sack. He ends up throwing the pick six, and he comes back and has another interception. He could have let all those moments bury him. Instead, he leads a two minute drive after I believe that was Carrington's interception.
Speaker 4: Correct. I don't have the game, but yeah, Valentine.
Speaker 1: Valentine got the interception off the deflected pass, and then and right that gave Clifford one more shot before halftime to erase what had happened earlier, and he went out and took advantage of it.
Speaker 2: In the one thing I think has been the biggest strength of Sean Clifford in the practices I've watched, going back to the offseason program, the guy has been exceptional in the two minute now. He doesn't win every single time he's going up against the defense, but he moves a football man, and I felt like that was another exemplary example of that, being able to actually lead them down the stretch. And then he plays at a third quarter, which kind of surprised me a little bit. But twenty six passes, twenty completions, I believe it was two hundred and eight yards, two hundred and four yards. And then having that, Mike, you and I, as you said, it's not just agreement with Packers. All these preseason games we've covered over the years. Doesn't even matter if you're a rookie. Sometimes it's QB two three, four, could be a couple of years in the league. Guys don't want to make mistakes in the preseason. They want to be they want to be perfect, right, and that leads to just playing very generic bland football. Sean Clifford was not doing that, And why does that matter, Mike, because he was giving his receivers a chance to make plays. He was given Dontavian Wicks to show, hey, if the quarterback threads the needle to me and I got the safety bearing down on me, and I have a guy that's gonna be on me on the slant, I'm still going to catch that ball and I'm going to turn up field and take it for forty two yards or forty seven yards whatever it was. Jaden Reid. How much did the Green Bay Packers learn about Jayden Reid in this game? From being able to take some snaps with both Jordan Love and Sean Clifford. These young receivers, and there's been a multitude of them. Mike Malik Heath had his head a reception. I think on his first play that he played in that game. You need a quarterback to give his receivers that opportunity. Shan Clifford did that. I felt like when the Green Bay Packers left Cincinnati, when you talk about teaching tape, when you talk about the film room, this young man gave the Green Bay Packers coaches a lot to work off of as they prepare now for these joint practices with the New England Patriots.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, a couple other guys who carried over what we've seen as some very productive play on the press practice field, and they took it into the preseason game. We already mentioned Carrington Valentine, We've already talked about him a lot rookie, seventh round pick out of Kentucky, showing that he belongs. He's already been you know. He he basically is playing as a starting cornerback when Jay R Alexander is not in the lineup and he gets an interception in the Bengals game, he breaks up a couple other passes. He had a very acrobatic type of tackle on an outside running play. Just showed that that he's everywhere. He's got a nose for the ball, and much like Clifford, he's just a competitor down in and down out. And another guy too, and you already brought him up. Malie Heath, he undrafted player out of Old Miss, wide receiver. Got He's got nice, nice size to him and everything, and he's out here trying to prove like, hey, I should have been drafted just like you know. How However, many dozens of receivers were taken in that April draft. He makes I believe it was either two had either.
Speaker 4: Two or three.
Speaker 1: I think it was three receptions thirty six yards maybe in the game. One of those was really nice where he essentially ran a comeback route and he came strong back to the ball to h to provide the target and get separation from the defender. And then of course we also saw him in the blocking part of things. Just take take a Cincinnati cornerback and as as one inbox reader said, pulled to Michael Orr and you know, Shove took him to the bus like you know, outside of the field. He took him into the kicking net over there on on the Packers' sideline. But and hey, Matt Lafleur has brought it up that that, yeah, there needs to be another receiver who takes on that sort of goon roll and does all that dirty work that Alan Lazard used to do in the receiving corps. And Malik Heath is like, hey, if that, if that can be me, I'm all for it, sign me up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's actually funny too, because he when I was talking with him in locker room, he mentioned, I mean that was kind of his game at Old Miss too. I mean, he did that type of stuff in college. It's not like he was just a moment where he's like, Okay, I feel like I got to step up and I got to block this guy and show really good for the coaches. No that he feels like that's a natural, organic part of his game and he wants to show that. And obviously Sean Clifford, other than the I think maybe the linebacker that was coming near him at the end of the play, nobody was near him.
Speaker 4: I mean, it wasn't that leak. He just blocked his guy.
Speaker 2: He cleared out the only potential guy that could have converged on him within maybe two or three yards of the line of scrimmage. And again, as you said, as he said, he was able to take him over to the cooler, you know, on that play.
Speaker 5: And Andy drew an unnecessary roughness penalty because the guy got so mad about Kim blocked, you know, so far out of bounds that he you know, he struck back at heath and then the referee through the flag and the Packers got some extra yardage out of it to boot.
Speaker 2: And somebody said an inbox like, oh, they gotta be careful with that that you know, that could be an offset.
Speaker 4: No, man, that's an extension.
Speaker 2: This isn't about a guy going out of bounds and then coming back inbounds on a punk coverage to tackle the guy. If you wipe your guy out to the sideline, that's an extension of the play. You don't stop blocking him because you blocked him out of bounds. It's just it's that's where you put the guy. So it just so happens that the play lasted long enough that he kept bringing him and bringing them and bringing them. But here's the thing, Malie Heath doesn't have Allen Lazard size, But when I look at the overall things that made Lazard successful as an undrafted free Asian, as a guy that actually was going to succeed in the NFL, he has a lot of those qualifiers to him. And that's what I like about this entire room. Samori to Ray I thought had a really good, strong game. Again, he muffed a punt or a muff to kickoff early on, but then came back and had that big kickoff return for the offense to get them at midfield. But the thing about it is, I feel like all these guys, when you talk about Carrington Valentine too, they are making other people they've they're rising the game of those around them. I thought Shamar John Charles has had some really strong practices. Corey Ballantine was contributing, you know, before his stinger injury. That's the key in the preseason is when you have young guys or maybe an undrafted for agent that kind of balls out a little bit, that makes everybody else in the room kind of take notice a little bit that hey, I got to raise my level to these guys as well. When it comes down to it, Mike I said this about the Packers' defensive line too. I mean, injuries can happen. We're still two weeks away from when the Packers have to start even thinking about their fifty three man roster.
Speaker 4: But the agreement Packers have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of tough decisions looming because I think the amount of people that have stepped up throughout the course of the offseason program and many of whom have now carried it into training camp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and tough decisions is what they want. If the roster cut down to fifty three is easy, then you probably don't have as deep and talented team as you would like to have. One last note on the game, the Packers don't make it a practice, not a regular practice of giving out game balls during preseason games, but Matt Lafleur took the time to recognize especially Kenneth odam Meguu, the Nigerian player of Nigerian descent. He's the Packers International Pathway Program player who literally on Friday night in Cincinnati, when he stepped on the field, was playing a football game for the first time. All he had done was practice and learn and sit in a classroom and do drills. And you know, he had not played actually in an actual game, a competitive game of football until that preseason opener on Friday night. The Packers honored otomegu with a game ball, and it sounded like it was a It was a pretty raucous celebration in the locker room for the young man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you heard what Batt Lafleur said at his press conference on Monday, just saying, I mean, he's top tier when it comes to a person and an individual and somebody that is appreciative of the opportunity.
Speaker 4: You know, we talked a lot.
Speaker 2: I even wrote this past week about the team bonding that came out of Cincinnati. But I think there's a certain team bonding element too that comes out of having a Kenneth otamegu on your fifty three or not your fifty three, but your ninety man offseason roster, because I think it is a good It goes back to I think something that Jason Rebovich even said about how having someone like him actually makes some better coach because it reminds him about the things you can't take for granted when you're working with athletes and when you're working with people at these positions, because he brings you back to the basics, right And Kenneth I think has had the right mentality since day one, just an incredible joy for life and understanding the journey that he's on. And I don't know everything that was like for him, you know, back in Nigeria. I remember talking with Andy Malumba when he was here. Andy moved to Canada, you know, and I think he was five or six. He was pretty young at that point. But you know, people's lived experiences are what make this game great. And when you have somebody like Kenneth who has been in a different country, you know, even the basketball background, just being introduced to different sports and then watching these things on YouTube and almost kind of getting his first introduction to American football through videos. I mean, it reminds you of just how incredible it is that he's even in a position like this now. To be in a preseason game, he had to cross Mike. We talked about it in May. But you know, he had to get through the training camps out there. I mean when you talk about OCU Manua's you know camp in London, and all these different levels that Kenneth had to get to just to get to Florida, just to be in a position that one NFL team would he'd get a sign to go play with him. It wasn't that you just get to Florida and then you're guaranteed to be with an NFL club. That was just getting your foot in the door to potentially getting this opportunity.
Speaker 4: We talked to him back in May.
Speaker 2: He had a smile on his face the entire time you talked to him in the locker room this week, again just incredibly appreciate the opportunity in front of him, and I have to imagine for him personally what a gratifying moment that was. And lastly, I will leave you with this the interview that Larry McCarey did. Larry Mccaerron did with him that ran in the pregame preseason show him saying that, you know, my goal is, I don't want to be the ipp player. I don't want to be a guy that's just I'm here because I'm an exemption. He's like, by the end of this season, I want people to look at me like I'm helping this football team win.
Speaker 4: And I think when you look at you.
Speaker 2: Know, a player, the first time Packers have ever been a part of this during my time on the beat, just that the perfect guy I felt like for this locker room and for this football team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved what he said when I had a chance to talk to him in the locker room on Sunday, I believe it was after practice and along those same lines, talking about, you know, what his goals are, and he says, my goal is after this season for then people to look at me on the football field and ask what college did you go to? You know, to basically sort of show that he belongs. That nobody's going to be able to tell that he got here in any different way than anybody else in America who goes and plays college football and then tries to make his way into the NFL. I absolutely love that line. I want people to ask me what college I went to? You know that? And and he says everything as you noted Wes with with a smile on his face.
Speaker 2: So watch the kid walk past the kid like we have in the locker room. I mean, if you see him out there for any of these preseason games at lambeau Field, he looks like an NFL outside linebacker.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 2: He just needs to catch up on the rest of it now, which is what he's trying to do with Jason Rebervich in the rest of that room. Lastly, very quick thing. You're not on Instagram. That's a pity too. I think you'd be really good on that type of social media. But we posted Packers. They posted that video of Kenneth in his interview with Larry and all the players that like that video, Pressed Smith, Kenny Clark, Rashaan Gary, all those teammates. I mean, they're in this journey with them, and I think that's the coolest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's really cool the way these guys, the way these guys have rallied around a newcomer, not just to their team, but a newcomer to the sport in their locker room has been has been pretty cool to see. I want to get to some other things that have happened since we got back from Cincinnati West, but I'll do some sponsor business here for serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and ed Cousin Subs. We have something for everyone, like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin Subs fifty years of.
Speaker 4: Better I got. I just gotta follow from Cousins on Twitter too. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and if if you want to, if you want to hear something rather humorous, go check out the clip of Kevin Harlan on the Packers preseason television broadcast reading the reading the Cousin subs ad Read. And I've been around Kevin long enough that that man has an appetite. So when he says when he's in the middle and he's in the middle of the ad read and says to John Coon boy, I'm hungry like it absolutely did not supprise, So.
Speaker 2: We need to have you and Kevin have like an ad read off when it comes to these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's what we Maybe that's what we have to do. Well. Since we returned from Cincinnati, West a few things that have gone on here that I want to touch on. One you are you brought up. One of the big blocks on Emmanuel Wilson's eighty yard touchdown run in Cincinnati was thrown by Rashid Walker, and in the practices since returning, Rashid Walker has begun to I guess I would say share the left tackle spot with the number one offense when David Baktiari is not taking snaps. Rashid Walker has moved up to where he's sharing that number one left tackle spot with yosh Nimen and the Packers are taking a much longer, harder, closer look at last year's seventh round pick from Penn State.
Speaker 2: Before I say a single word, if you're watching this video, if you're listening to it on you know one of your mini podcast options, stop what we're doing right now, timestamp this. Go and watch Larry Mccaerron's rock report on Walker because the game that he had Mike basically every single major play that Green Bay had in the second half, at least or after the second quarter, it all basically tied back to blocks that Rashid Walker was making, either on the left side the line or the right side of the line. The thing I love about this kid is the fact that, dude, if you remember this, go back and look at some of those like two thousand and twenty one, like right after the draft, like people projecting what the twenty two draft is going to look like, there were people that were saying Rashid Walker was going to be a first round pick. Now, that was very premature. It was before any games were played the falling college season. But that's the kind of high regard that he was held into. As you talked about with him, some injuries happened. He wasn't really even be able to be a full go until the last season started and he virtually had to red shirt that whole entire year. And when the Packers have fourteen fifteen twenty seven different offensive li i'eman returning this year, he kind of gets lost in the laundry a little bit that, Hey, you have this guy that was a multi year starter at Penn State for Sean Clifford, mind you. Yeah, and he's on your roster and he's competing for a spot again this year, and it kind of gets forgotten about. You have Caleb Jones, massive human being, another big ten guy, you had Yosh Niman coming back, you have I mean, Kadeem Telford is six foot seven too. I mean, these monsters at this position. And then here comes quietly Rashid Walker back into the conversation. Doing it on both sides of the offensive line. Again wasn't perfect. There were teachable moments, but I thought he got back to showing what he can do, and that is athletic feet in a really strong punch and being able to knock off edge rushers and get them off balance. That actually plays in pretty well into being a pass protector in this league. And I felt like for him, what an incredible performance to build on, and especially after not playing really all of last season. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, he as you said, he kind of took a took a red shirt year because all through the pre draft process he was rehabbing from a surgery from the end of his college season. He didn't, you know, didn't really get to get up to speed during the spring to get ready for his rookie training camp. So then his rookie training camp last year was always kind of behind. And uh, you know, and he's he's been coached pretty hard by Luke, but gis the Packers offensive line coach and uh and he was even asked about that in the locker room, you know all the times that that, you know, but Gus has kind of uh you know, yelled at him and let him have it. He says, Hey, I'm used to getting coached hard. That's okay, It's all love. These guys just want me to get These guys want me to get better. They see what they see what potential I have and they're trying to get it out of me. And and I think we're starting to uh, we're starting to see that with Rashid Walker.
Speaker 5: Practice. On Monday.
Speaker 1: Was I guess the the the Great Visit of the Dignitaries because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell had stopped in in Green Bay. There was a kind of a media event discussing the Packers or should say city of Green Bay, being selected to host the twenty twenty five NFL draft. Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers was here, and you got a chance to check that out. Wesson and Roger Goodell even came and watched practice a little bit and reunited with a guy that he shook hands with five years ago on the stage of the first round of the NFL Draft, in jay R Alexander. Those two were chatting it up before practice started on Monday inside the Hudson Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very cool moment, and Evan Siegel got a great photo. We saw the backside of the whole conversation. Evan got a great photo of them together from the front angle.
Speaker 4: And one of those things.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it happens on a daily basis around the NFL, but I haven't really seen a lot of that where it's like, you know, you see that original you know, DAP and everything that they.
Speaker 4: Do on Draft night and everyone's really excited.
Speaker 2: But here we are five years later when JayR Alexander's become a legitimate superstar in this league and being able to come back. Also, by the way, I don't know who the Packers NFLPA rep is this year. It was Mason Crosby, but JayR has been an associate rep, so he also has some you know, things to do with the PA side of things. So just an incredible kind of thing to see a guy that went from just a super excited young kid out of Louisville and then now here he has a two time All Pro that's a team leader and former team captain for the Packers and he's being able to see Roger Godell again. Unfortunately I didn't get to have my like reuniting with Roger Godell at all, seeing if he remembered in twenty twelve when he came to practice the last time in training camp and I badgered him about replacement referees and if that was a concern at all.
Speaker 4: One month later, I guess it was.
Speaker 1: Maybe you need to bring him, Maybe you need to bring him a cousin sub the next time he comes to Green Bay brings some lunch for him.
Speaker 2: But a cool deal though before that, because even before practice I went down for his that ceremony. Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers also there, Toy Troy Streckenbach, the Brown County Representative, and Mark Murphy. All We're supposed to be part of an outdoor event, you know, tied around the Packers and the bike riding thing. Because of the rain, practice got moved indoors. We weren't able to do that, but still hearing Gadell talk about the excitement about the Packers getting the NFL Draft, green Bay getting the NFL Draft in twenty twenty five, in all the work that Mark Murphy put into that, from the very day that the NFL announced that they were going to start moving the draft round, Mark was one of the first people to contact and reach out to Sir Roger and say, hey, Green Bay wants this, We're ready for it. We're never going to get a Super Bowl here, we get that, but I mean this is the type of event that we can host. Eight years later, everything comes full circle and Goodell very complimentary of the job that, as he said, Murph. We call him Mark. He called him Murph. I occasionally call him sir. He doesn't like that, but I still do it. But very casual with Roger Goodell calling him Murph and just saying that nobody has been a bigger supporter of this community than Mark Murphy. And again, when you're looking three years down the road, as Mark starts to enter this final stretch of his time as the Packers President CEO, an incredible, lasting achievement in addition to the many other things.
Speaker 4: That Mark has done here over the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no question about it. Well, I said we had a lot of ground to cover. There's a couple other things I want to touch on here before we go. I know we're going maybe a little bit long today.
Speaker 4: That's mostly my fault. No, that's noting a lot.
Speaker 1: No, it's not your fault. But a couple other players to mention here. One rookie, seventh round pick at wide receiver, Grant Dubo's he has gotten back into practice. He missed all of the OTAs in mini camp and the first stretch of training camp due to a back injury.
Speaker 5: He is back on the.
Speaker 1: Practice field and as we talk about what's going on at the wide receiver position, we're seeing things from you know, Malie Heath and Samari Toure and Dontavian Wicks and all these young guys that are fighting for a roster spot. Grant Dubos went out at practice on Monday, Wes and he hauled in I believe it was or maybe five receptions in eleven on eleven Suddenly number eighty six is shown up. And with this week coming up with the joint practices with the Patriots, and then and then the preseason game. The fact that he's cleared now to play to take reps in eleven on eleven. He's another young guy to watch here in a competition for those last few roster spots that is far from decided.
Speaker 2: And I would think he's actually gonna play in this Patriots game because he was working his way back. Didn't play against Cincinnati. But my goodness, Mike, with him getting into reintroduced, actually introduced, he never was introduced in the first place. With him being introduced now to these team periods, granted, Boas has just completely I think, just jumped right out and started making plays right from the get go. He's he's a guy that when you look at his career at Charlotte, those two seasons that he was there, he was just a magnet to the football. And I don't know if it's just his ability to gain separation. I really don't know a lot about his game at this point, but he's constantly around the football. Again, it goes back to what I was saying earlier in the show, where we focus so much on the top three.
Speaker 4: If you want to throw his Samori in their top four.
Speaker 2: Receivers, but the Packers have had years where guys come in, they'll they'll draft guys and they just don't really make plays and it doesn't really work out for him and you got to move on. But I think for the Packers double dipping again and going and getting three receivers again for the second straight year, in addition to having Malie Heath come in, in addition to bringing back Bo Melton who's made some plays and had some nice blocks.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Packers competition has just been revving up over and over again. And when you're talking about a guy like Sean Clifford and Alex Magoo, who I'll imagine will get more snaps, if not against the Patriots, definitely against the Seahawks. Those guys are going out there to throw the football and they have some really talented receivers to work with, and Dubo's is added to that. Now I'm very interested to watch and see where he goes from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dubo's has such an interesting story because just a couple of years ago he almost gave up football completely. He was playing at Division two Miles College, a small school in his home state of Alabama. They they canceled their season entirely in twenty twenty due to COVID, But instead of completely walking away from the game, he decides to transfer to Charlotte and then you know, balls out there in North Carolina and ends up being a seventh round draft pick of the Packers. And now he's he's thrust himself into an opportunity for a roster spot. So the other thing to touch on too is what's going on at the tight end position with the Packers. A good start preseason wise, I thought for Luke Musgrave and Tucker Craft, the two rookie draft picks, but the bad news Tyler Davis went down with a knee injury in the game in Cincinnati. Matt Lafleur basically all but confirmed that his season is over. The injury is quite significant and and I wrote a story on Packers dot Com that is on the website now as we're talking that. You know, the value of a veteran tight end like Josiah Deguara has has gone up considerably now with with the loss of Tyler Davis. Into Gua is just getting himself back from a calf injury. He didn't play in the preseason game in Cincinnati, but he's back into the eleven on eleven now he's taking reps with the first team offense. Sometimes he's out there with Musgrave or with Craft in a two tight end set. Josiah Deguara, I think is a guy to keep an eye on for more on him. Be sure to check out the story on the website.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely do that, and the thing about it too. You know, Joe, people forget about this. You know he originally tore his ACL on a special teams play. I mean he was contributing not only is that Swiss Army knife on offense, but also gave them some flexibility on special teams right off the bat as well. And he's kind of had to catch up a little bit last year getting back into a rhythm again. Certainly the offense mostly ran through Mercedes Lewis and Robert Tunyan at that position. But that job for him is only going to.
Speaker 4: Grow on value now. I like where Green Bay sits right now.
Speaker 2: When you look at what I mean, Luke Musgrave looks like a guy that's going to be able to play right off the jump. They have those those twenty one packages per or twelve personnel packages where you have you know Musker and Dguara. You have Muskrave and Kraft when they want to use them both inline. I think both of those guys have actually impressed me out of the gate in terms of their blocking craft. Is just a gritty guy that I think is going to get after it. I think Musgrave has proved he's good enough, you know, early on here to build upon that. But that you know, how this game goes, Mike, you need other guys to step up too. Austin Allen six foot eight, two hundred and fifty three pounds out of Nebraska. This is a huge opportunity for him to show what he can do. And I've really liked Henry Pearson too, the kid from app State who is a tight ended app State. The Packers are labeling him as a fullback six foot two, two hundred and forty nine pounds, but he was the guy that sort of stepped up when Josiah was out in that h back role. All those guys are going to have to find ways to contribute, and especially those those last two. That's going to be who's going to be carrying a bulk of the Packers snaps here in these preseason games. Moving forward. I think Dre Miller also was repping with the tight ends at practice on Monday. I don't know if that's the long term plan or if that was just, hey, we need another guy with those guys to get through this practice. But certainly the Green Bay Packers losing a guy like Tyler Davis, who gives you so much on special teams in addition to the fact that I thought he was putting together a good camp on offense, had the touchdown right before one quarter earlier from Sean Clifford at the end of the two minute. You hate to see that. Davis as a kid that has done all the right things, set all the right things, had a tough preseason last year offensively, but bounce back to lead the Packers and special team snaps. Sucks for him that a golden opportunity is presented, and unfortunately, we know how the sport is, and we know how the preseason is. ACL injuries, you know, significant knee injuries, they do happen, and unfortunately collected Davis.
Speaker 4: What a tough kid.
Speaker 2: That dude is, though, right, I mean the fact that he was able to get up and jog off the field very labored, but still jogged off the field. I think that really speaks to the type of character he has and the way he approaches this game. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and with that we will call it a rap on this edition of Packers Unscript.
Speaker 4: You'd be sure to.
Speaker 1: Follow all of our coverage of the team. We have the joint practices this week with the new England pots. We will have all of it for you on Packers dot com. So for Wes, I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody, and we will see you next time.
Speaker 4: Hm.