Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Meet Friday Dan and the Danet's Dan Patrick Show, we'll head to Memphis, sort out what's going on with the Grizzlies as they get ready for the postseason, and will they have John Moran for the rest of the regular season. It's a Meat Friday, Burgers, buffalo wings, and smoke potato salad.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. We got basketball coming up tonight. It's the Women's Final four Texas and South Carolina, Connecticut and UCLA. Gino Smith got locked up with the Raiders. When this happened, I was told that, hey boy, they got Gino on the cheap. And I was told he's going to renegotiate his contract. Well he did and he got paid. And really, this to me is I think it's something to remember when it comes to these quarters this year because a lot of times what happens we get caught up in forty yard dash times and mechanics and wonder Lick test scores and hand size. Gino Smith was written off after failed stints with the Jets and the Giants, reinvented himself in Seattle. Now he gets a new deal and he's been a Pro Bowl quarterback. Sam Darnol supposed to be the savior of the Jets, then discarded in Carolina, buried behind brock perty and then he becomes a one hundred million dollar man in Seattle after lighting it up with the Vikings.
Speaker 3: So we want instant results, certainly at that position.
Speaker 2: So with cam Ward and Jackson Dart and Shador Sanders, keep it in perspective. I know it's hard to do this. Not every quarterback's a bust. It just sometimes they take a little bit more time. But Pete Carroll's seventy three. He wants his quarterback to be ready to go. He's familiar with Geno. I think they take Ashton Gent because at first I thought that maybe whoever was going to be coaching the Raiders, they would take Shaudoor Sanders, and it felt like that would be a great place for him, and I think Dion even felt that way. Now you have Geno Smith, they're probably not taking a quarterback. You take your running back. Pete Carroll loves to run the football, be a little more conservative with his quarterback and hopefully play good defense. That's the blueprint he wants to win now he's seventy three years of age.
Speaker 4: Yes, and yeah, it sounds a little weird. I think sometimes they hear like, oh, they extended Gino Smith, and you're like, well, why, But you're not really paying him a ton of money. Even with the extension, he's still well out of the top ten in terms of quarterbacks. I think he's something like sixteenth in the league. Yeah, he's coming off of three or four pretty great seasons for him. He's one of the most accurate passers in the league over that stamp, that time frame. It's a pretty great deal.
Speaker 2: But that's why we're going to look for cam Ward to be great right away, Jackson Dart right away, Shadoor Sanders right away, and they won't be great right away, not even cam Ward because he's going to a bad team. Should do or Sanders? Maybe if you go to the Saints, maybe you're better earlier than cam Ward is, or Jackson Dart if he would go to the Steelers at twenty one. Just say, but I think we get caught up in the immediacy of this and there are so many reclamation projects that happen all the time in the NFL, but we just don't have the patients, and teams don't have the patients, they move on. We spend a lot of time, too much time talking about, well, we should have been talking about the game winning shot by John Moran against the heat, but he had another gun gesture. And this is back to back games that he's done this after being called onto the carpet by the NBA commissioner and then you have this. Now, what's the commissioner do? Do you say anything? Do you do anything? Playoffs right around the corner, and you got Memphis fighting for survival there and you just had your coach fired. Demichael Cole covers the Grizzlies for the Memphis Commercial Appeal. Michael, thanks for joining us. John Morant sounds like he's a victim here that he doesn't care about the criticism. Feels like, you know, maybe he's being targeted here. Help us understand the local feel of John Morant and what he's done the last two games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dan, the number one thing when kind of peeling the curtain back.
Speaker 6: Here is this isn't anything new.
Speaker 5: Actually, this is a celebration that Jahn Morant and several of his teammates have done over the course of the season. So when you talk about John Morant feels, you know, John Morant being the victim here. I think that's the feeling internally, especially specifically. You know with him, you know, this is a celebration. I've seen him. I mean, I could at least go back to the beginning of the year him doing this celebration, and he does it pretty much after every May three pointer. Now, you know Johns and Steph Curry. He's not making four or five three pointers a game, but you know he's made a decent amount of three pointers.
Speaker 6: And we've seen celebration time and time again.
Speaker 5: I think what stood out in this particular situation going back to that Golden State game. It's number one, it's Grizzlies Golden State. Over the last two to three years, that game has always had increased significance. And then number two, it happened and it caused a technical foul. So in the past we see it and in this game, you know, the recent game that was on you know, national TV against the Miami Heat. It's harmless, it's coming after you know, made three point baskets, and he's doing it towards the Grizzlies bench, he's doing it towards the opposed event, he's going it towards the players.
Speaker 6: He's just doing it in the general direction.
Speaker 5: And in the case with the Golden State game, it was him and Buddy Hill, you know, gesturing towards one another, which led to the official stepping end and calling the technical foul. So I think that's kind of what's brought this increased attention onto it. But locally, I think that's the main point here is this is something that he's been doing for months.
Speaker 2: What do you think the commissioner does this time around.
Speaker 5: I don't think the commission does anything until it's something that leads to you know, a greater you know, type of I guess altercation or something, if that makes sense. So in this case, let's say, you know, if John Morant gestures towards an opposing bench and a guy gets up and walks in his direction, then I feel like that's when you know they'll have to step in. But if you go around the league, this is not just a celebration John Morant's doing. This isn't just a celebration. That the Grizzlies players is doing. It's one that's leak watt sort of in a way. And even Lebron James, you know, he did kind of a little bit of a different version of it yesterday against the Warriors, but he made a shot in the corner, the corner three pointer that he made, and he turns towards the crowd and does kind of a similar celebration. But again, you know, you have to understand, we understand why with John Moran there is.
Speaker 6: Increased intention on what he doesn't.
Speaker 5: You know, that has happened because of how the last two years have have kind of played out here. But in this case, I don't think the commissioner will really step in and, you know, do anything of significance unless it leads to something greater, because you really, what we're saying is there's a May three, he does the celebration and they go back to playing defense.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But see what I worry about to Michael, is if I'm the commissioner, I want to be proactive. I don't want to be reactive. I don't want to go hey until there's an altercation. We've already seen job and be very immature with an actual gun a couple of times, and he's still doing that. I as the commissioner, it's just it's a bad look for the league and a bad look for him. And now it feels like he's embarrassed the commissioner publicly by you're gonna do it again, and he already had a If the league doesn't have a problem with it, then why did the commissioner talk to John Morand.
Speaker 5: I think I think in this case it was more so because inquireant minds wanted to look into the situation. That's that's what it was in this case, because if the league had seen an issue with the celebration, that's my point, they would have reached out in January, they would reached out in February, they would reached out.
Speaker 6: In previous national televised.
Speaker 5: Games where he's made three pointers and did the same celebration, there would have already been an instance where the league said, John Rethroom, yes, some other guys may be doing this celebration, but you, specifically.
Speaker 6: You probably shouldn't be doing this. But that hasn't been the.
Speaker 5: Case I think in this In this situation, going back to this Golden State game a couple of days ago, I think what happened was when people saw it, when it led to a technical.
Speaker 6: Foul and all of that.
Speaker 5: In Qui Remonts reached out to the league, you know, people like you know, reporters reached out to the league, Hey, is there anything of significance going to be done about this situation?
Speaker 6: The league said, we'll look into it.
Speaker 5: The league looked into it, and I think it was a situation where the league pretty much did their due diligence. I don't think the warning, so to speak, was a big hey, don't you do this again, or we're going to do We're going to do something. I think it was more of a read the room type of situation, if that makes sense. So I do think with the commissioner, he needs to be proactive with this and with some other situations that have been similar with players around the league. But at the same time, he's been sort of reactive all throughout this time with John going back to March of twenty twenty three, and I think that's kind of the case here.
Speaker 2: Most teams don't fire their coach when they're heading into the postseason, So why did the Grizzlies fire their head coach?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: He wasn't connecting with the players the same way anymore.
Speaker 5: And Taylo Jenkins has been here six years, so his voice players, you know, kind.
Speaker 6: Of connected with Taylor Jenkins on a whole other level.
Speaker 5: The big thing we talked about at the beginn of the year with Taylor Jenkins, John Morant, Jaron Jackson, Junior Desmond Bank, the leaders of the team, was he talked about the need to be against brutally honest, you know, with those guys critiquing the players, saying telling John Morant, look, we need you to be better defensively, Desmond Bank, we need you to be better defensively. And they had good, honest conversations and those seemed to be received well. Early on in the season, the Grizzlies were doing well. But what we saw Dan take place was when the Grizzlies schedule got tougher. You turned the count to January, you go to February, when the schedule got tougher, the Grizzlies start to struggle and it was like they're not beating the top two teams. To the point when Taylor Jenkins was fired, the Grizzlies were eleven and twenty against teams with a record above five hundred. So if you look at the record, you know on the shell and he saying, and that's a good team, that just you know, the top five seed the West, six seasons with the team. But the bigger picture is it's pretty simple actually to me, the Grizzlies want to their core is in place. They believe in John Moret, Desmon Band and Jared Jackson Junior. They believe that that trio is enough to take them to championship contention. So they have their core in place. The next thing you have to realize is the financial situation. Jobs on his second contract pretty much max deal. The Desmond Band is just a few million dollars below a Max deal. Jared Jackson Junior is potentially in line to receive a significantly a bigger deal this summer if he makes all NBA. So when you factor in all of that, the financial dollars are about to get tight and they need to win really soon. So I think that's a part of it. It's the urgency of the situation. And then if you factor in the urgency, it's a reality that hey, we're not beating top teams. We're eleven and twenty against the best teams, especially since the All Star break. You haven't beaten a top team in the league all of it, and they lost four out of five, you know before he was fired. So when you factor in all those things, the writing was kind of on the wall that hey, this season isn't going anywhere.
Speaker 6: It's time to make a change.
Speaker 2: Demichael, thank you. I'm sure you got a busy day. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you day. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That was great, great stuff to Michael. Cole covers Grizzlies for the Memphis Commercial Appeal and he brings up great points. And look, do we cherry pick sometimes when we see something and it can be a topic and then we can talk about if he's been doing this. The NBA didn't have a problem with it. Do they have a problem with it because it was on national TV? Do they have a problem that maybe it almost led to an altercation?
Speaker 3: See that.
Speaker 2: I don't buy that when Demichael says, you know, maybe the commissioner is waiting for something to happen. Now, I'd rather be proactive preventive, then let me wait till something happens.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Neemyah in California and neamayah welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Thanks for holding.
Speaker 9: How's it going, Dan DENNITTZ great?
Speaker 3: What do you have?
Speaker 10: I wanted to chime in on the job mor gun gestures. Yeah, if we're going to go so far as suspending John Morant for doing the gun gestures, is this gonna come down to us changing the name.
Speaker 11: Of what we call shooting.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Neanmia. So we won't have a shooting guard. Well, John Moran is a shooting guard at guard. Yes, yeah, Well we don't have shooting guards and point guards anymore. There's no designation like that the way it used to be. Will in Virginia Beach, Hi, Will, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Say Anne?
Speaker 12: Hey, I was just kind of well, the guy right for me kind of stole my thunder a little bit. But I was going to say, these guys are commonly referred to as snipers and assassins and shooters and things like that, and you know, you see the cutting the throat gesture. Sometimes there's a stomping on the body just here. But I mean, I don't have a huge problem with it, but you could maybe fix it by changing the vernacular, maybe calling the basket like a shoot like a lot of shoot and then you could spell it C H U T E R.
Speaker 11: You all be sure or you.
Speaker 2: Know what, Well, thank you for the funk car. How about he just stops doing it. We don't change anything. Just don't do it anymore, that's all. It's really simple. Huh, we're gonna we're gonna change, you know, labeling. You can't take a He's not a sniper anybody. I mean, just stop doing the gesture, that's all.
Speaker 3: Uh boy, Sean and Florida. Hi Sean.
Speaker 2: By the way, John's listed as a point guard, not a shooting guard.
Speaker 13: Oh man, that's hilarious. Good morning Dan and Dan AT's uh six. It's a beautiful day here in Deston, Florida. Some of the best beaches in the world. You guys should come visit, especially if you like fishing. I just wanted to say, go Gators. Jamesville is one of the best college towns.
Speaker 14: That he exists. Also, God man, that was nothing about that story about the shooting yards so much.
Speaker 11: Anyway, go gats, guys.
Speaker 5: A good day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Sean, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh to sum up, Sean, Gainesville is a great college campus and they have nice beaches in Florida. Who knew I had nice beaches in Florida, and Gainesville is a great campus.
Speaker 15: Yes, time, I got the impression he wants Florida to beat Auburn tomorrow night. I think, so win the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go Florida, Go Gators. Yes.
Speaker 16: Remember a bunch of years ago we got to go down to Auburn in Alabama and the football stadium is on the campus, so like people park and tailgate on the campus on a Saturday.
Speaker 3: Very cool place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's when Cam had been suspended and came back for that game. Lucas in Indiana.
Speaker 3: Hi Lucas, Hey.
Speaker 11: Yaan uh six two two five. I'm got sort of a philosophical question about baseball. I wasn't a baseball fan until like five or six years ago, and I just arbitrarily was choosing between the Dodgers and the Giants, and I ended up picking the Dodgers, and I got to watch them immediately win two World Series and set themselves up for like a decade. And don't get me wrong, I'm having a wonderful time, but I almost feel bad about it because they usually root for teams that struggle and don't win things. What do you think?
Speaker 17: Am I a bandwagoner and should I feel bad about this or should I bask any because it's really rules and I'm loving watching baseball, but I feel kind of like I'm betraying my down home, working class, tortured sand mentality because I threw a dart and a map and pick the powerhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, it sounds like younger kids now, where it's really not an allegiance to your hometown. It's you like certain teams for certain reasons. But hey, if it means you're following baseball, great, I mean you might have to apologize a little bit by when somebody says, hey, you're from the Midwest and you're a Dodger fan. Yeah, I just picked them and they won two titles.
Speaker 18: Yes, Marvin, it's like in twenty years where everybody's going to be a Cheese fan, yeah, or a Golden State Warriors fan. Those guys have turned those franchises into national powerhouses far as fan bases.
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. More phone calls coming up. We're back after this Dan Patrick's show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 19: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 19: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 19: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something.
Speaker 8: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls.
Speaker 6: Chop it up.
Speaker 19: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: And of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I caught Todd out there with the wings, sneaking in a buffalo.
Speaker 20: I had a wing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I know we're supposed to wait until I know, but you've it felt like you were sneaking out there to grab buffalo last.
Speaker 15: Permission, and especially since I saw you there hovering over it blocking me from getting over there.
Speaker 20: I was like the security guard.
Speaker 3: You grabbed it and you go, okay, if I get a wing.
Speaker 20: Actually took a bike first, then okay. Then I finished this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline Todd eating a carrot should be the lead of this story.
Speaker 20: Dip it in the dress and there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wanted to dip it in again.
Speaker 2: I go, no, no, double no double dipping. A couple of phone calls in here, John and Ohio, Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hi Dan?
Speaker 9: First time, long time.
Speaker 11: Five eight?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: I had a story about Jim Mance. I heard your interview yesterday and the guys just a superclass act. I was at the ninety two Lexington Regionals and there was a little restaurant across the street from Reporina and we had left and got in there to get some beers, and Jim and Billy Packer walk in and they go up to the desk and the hostess obviously didn't recognize them, and they said, can we get a table? And I didn't hear the conversation, but basically there was a two hour wait and they made no accommodations for him. And he didn't even say I'm Jim Nance. He didn't say anything. Him and Billy Packerd just walked out.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know if it's a great story.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Did Jim go storm out?
Speaker 16: Yes, I thought he's gonna say, Jim Nance didn't big time an aspirates seat or a private table, which will been on brand.
Speaker 2: There's a restaurant in Dayton, Ohio called the Pine Club. I don't care who you are, you do not get preferential treatment. Presidents of the United States have been in Dayton. They have to wait called the Pine Club.
Speaker 3: That's a little crazy, Hey Todd, why are they more special than you.
Speaker 20: The president of the United States? Though you're not gonnake to commentists for the president. So Jim nest and they didn't stay for two hours waiting for the table. It sounds like no, they did not decided to move on.
Speaker 3: It's an incredible story about Jim Nannon's save a child from choking. You're not gonna believe this. That's actually worth it.
Speaker 20: And he told the story so fast.
Speaker 3: What are we doing? Come on?
Speaker 2: It took a little while to have him land the plane. Andy and Virginia. Hi Andy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan?
Speaker 7: Thanks for taking my call. Being a fan for a long time. I just wanted to get your opinion on the Ja Morant situation and what you think the differences between Florida State shooting arrows or the Patriots with their muskets or Tampa Bay shooting cannons or is this just more of an exaggerated thing with shooter McGavin makes a putt Okay.
Speaker 3: But but Andy, and thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: This is about John Morant off the court where he's had an actual gun with him and flaunting it. That's where you draw the line, Okay, that's the difference here, uh, Nick and Irvine? And if I'm John Morant, I don't want to remind people of an embarrassing time in my career. Hi, Nick, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Couple things? Number one best fourth week by far, a thousand years from now, where are they going to be talking about how the Dodgers started their twenty twenty five epic Epics season eight to no no one else has ever done it as a defending champ. A thousand years from now, they're not going to be talking about anything. You know, They're going to be looking back, all right. So I solved the toush push. Hopefully I can get it to be known as the Nick and Irvine rule. I think it will. I think Dan, you know, I think if we with you on board. So here it is the way the Eagles run it. The quarterback his shoulders are low in true football position, he's he's he's getting low, and the guy from behind is pushing the toush. And that's because that's where the leverage is because of the position of the quarterback. Now, there are lots of rules in the NFL that says you can't block under the chin when you're rushing the quarterback. You can't hit the quarterback in the head, you can't block in the knees of the uh of guys in the offensive line when they're in a certain formation. Okay, so what you do is you eliminate where you can push, which is the tush Uh, and you want to try to push them down by below the tush Good, you're gonna be trying to tackle him. You're gonna when he's loaded with shoulders are load to the ground. You're gonna try to push him above the tushy. No, No, you're not gonna be able to. So it's gonna sound something like.
Speaker 3: This, Dan, all right, well, thank you, that's Nick. That's Nick. It's going to be the Nick and Irvine rule. So thank you.
Speaker 2: With the tush push, the commissioner is going to get rid of this rule. Somehow, some way, he'll get rid of this. The Eagles will still be highly highly successful with a quarterback snake?
Speaker 20: Yes, Tom, did Nick and Irvan ever get to his actual point?
Speaker 2: I don't know if he was being serious, but uh, he was telling us where you could actually push the quarterback from behind, but not on the tushy.
Speaker 20: Another quick get to the point story.
Speaker 10: We got here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to land the plane. Okay, come on, better than that?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: Caden in Missouri? Hi, Caden, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 19: Dan?
Speaker 9: First time caller?
Speaker 6: Suck it.
Speaker 21: Fritzier on a Friday, Highburn Tigers who don't really see what people think. It would be a bad thing to have them in the championship the best freshman in the country besides Cooper Flag and they got the best player in the country and Joe and I groom pretty much all I wanted to say, you guys have a good day, all right.
Speaker 3: Good luck?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just talking about you know, as far as the TV audience goes, I couldn't care less who plays for a title. I'm just looking at it. Are people going to watch? Are they going to care if Houston? Houston is not esthetically pleasing. But that's a great coach and he's done wonders there at Houston. But just looking at this as a fan, are you going to tune in for that?
Speaker 3: Is that something you're going to go?
Speaker 2: Musty TV? You got to have Duke in there, then you'll get a big number. If it's Duke in Florida, you'll do a really good number. And Houston's going to give Duke a lot of troubles. I think a lot of problems.
Speaker 3: I believe that. Let me see.
Speaker 2: Oh I saw this story and then Paulie saw it as well, and we thought, you know what, we should talk about this You'd never think that Lamar ja Accent and Dale Earnhardt Junior would be locked in a battle, a perhaps lawsuit battle, a trademark battle over the number eight. Dale Earnard Junior, I believe wants to trademark the number eight, and then Lamar Jackson or his people lawyers filed something. I don't know if an injunction to prevent this, but there have been a lot of number eights. I don't know how Dale Junior can lay claim to the number eight and trademarket.
Speaker 20: Yes, Todd, that sounds kind of ridiculous. It's like, you know, I love them, so.
Speaker 3: I take capital if that is okay, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I want to if numerals letters of the alphabet, we could take any letter or number and we can trademark it anytime.
Speaker 20: Anyone sentenced.
Speaker 3: We know that, we know it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 20: How is that even remotely a thing?
Speaker 3: I know? We know that, Paul. Can you add something to this? I'll try.
Speaker 16: Not as good as that Junior used eight on the side of his car for eight full seasons of NASCAR. Fritzi, you like that, and so he was before Lamar Jackson using number eight he's trying to file a bunch of trademarks, and Lamar Jackson is trying to block him because he's doing some promotional things with the number eight. The other hiccup is Troy Aikman has the number eight on a beer, which has been trademark already. So they're making the case like who was there first a little bit in some of these court cases.
Speaker 3: But how can you trademark a number?
Speaker 16: Usage of a number? I guess, like as a brand of eight.
Speaker 2: Okay, if Junior wants to trademark eight in Nascar, great, but not in other sports? What about Ovechkin, the Grade eight, Steve Young, Kobe? I mean, there's been a lot of Yogi Bearrow, There's been so many eights, Todd are you gonna add something to this?
Speaker 15: John Elway is known as seven, So what we're saying is it would have been financially responsible for him to make billions of dollars up seven. Anytime anyone refers to numeral seven forever, they have to pay John Elway a certain amount of money.
Speaker 3: But if that's that's not what the lawsuits.
Speaker 16: It's about different usages and media and promotions, not usages like you can't use the word say eight, and you get sued for it.
Speaker 3: Not that not that excellent. I shouldn't have brought this up.
Speaker 16: No, it's actually a good topic. Like could you settle it this way? Who has more fans with tattoos of their number referring to them Dale Junior or Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 4: Well, you can definitely settle it that way if you want one side to win over the other. Sure, yeah, if you want Dale Junior to win, Yeah, he's gonna win. I mean Kobe wore eight. Yeah, he's a pretty good one. Caw Ripken Jr.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a pretty good one.
Speaker 2: Dale Junior a Washington Commander's fan, by the way. Okay, so who's the most eight eight of all time? If you had to give the number and the rights to it to any athlete of all time? Who are we picking?
Speaker 3: Ripkin?
Speaker 16: Kobe, Bryant Dale, and our Junior, Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 20: Other?
Speaker 2: Well, Yogi Barrow won more than all of those guys. They played for the Yankees. What did Yogi?
Speaker 3: How many titles did he win?
Speaker 16: Fourteen time All Star, ten time World Series Champion, two time MVP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, he's the most decorated. Kobe's the most famous, but then he changed his number twenty four.
Speaker 3: But I I'm I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of surprised that Junior or his people go, we're going to own the number eight or the usage of eight. What would prevent somebody else from using eight? In like you got Troy Aikman already using this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see right, But if Lamar Jackson wanted to start selling key chains with the number eight on it, well, Dale Earnhard Junior owns that already.
Speaker 3: So you now you can't Well, can we grab a letter?
Speaker 4: How about DP?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or just D? I mean I'll take that. It's all about the D.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, d's let's just start start grabbing letters. Lamar Jackson uses, you're gonna be twenty five letters in the alphabet with kids. There were Hey, we're not using D anymore?
Speaker 3: What were you saying?
Speaker 16: Paul Lamar Jackson uses E R A eight. I don't know why E R A looking at that to sell clothing, Duffel bags. Earnhardt uses his trademark stylized number eight to sell clothing, toys, and NASCAR goods.
Speaker 3: Well, Lamara might be Era, it might be the company Era, not E R A.
Speaker 20: Yes, tod and Aikman's beer spells out it.
Speaker 15: So is there a difference beween using the numeral and spelling up the word of a number.
Speaker 20: Where does that go?
Speaker 2: And he should have changed his name to Troy eight men. I like that, actually, thank you todded it.
Speaker 3: Thank you? Yeah. Yeah, Oh, you're gonna give me a one. You know, I don't give those you you did?
Speaker 2: You did pause, but maybe it's because you had a couple of I don't know, rough rough trying to give you a little Yeah. Then all sudden I got John Elway in this story. I'm like, why is John Elly in this story?
Speaker 20: Because he's seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then if Joe Montana number.
Speaker 15: Three, he was just Joe cool, that's not anything, but always is seven.
Speaker 20: So he has got a buy seven the word and the numeral.
Speaker 3: You get older, but I stay seven.
Speaker 20: That's a good line.
Speaker 22: I like that.
Speaker 4: We should just do the ate and we'll get that part of eight too. Oh you guys take the number, We'll take the eating Ooh.
Speaker 3: I like that all right. Darryl in Texas, Hi, Daryl, Hi, Dann Hi.
Speaker 10: Daryl from Texas six foot Uh good personality.
Speaker 12: Hey, you guys said that crazy bo Jackson stat with Harball.
Speaker 10: Yeah this week, Well, I have a pretty wild one. Jerry Rice has the most receiving guards after the age of forty was twenty five hundred and nine and Tom Brady comes in second with six.
Speaker 2: Yeah out of the day brought to you by Beanedia America. That that's that's very niche niche as they like to say. Uh, Jared and Georgia. I Jared in Georgia.
Speaker 22: A VP kind of switch switching gears here. Watching the Olympics last year when USA, when you had Kadi Lebron and Steph All playing great, yep, it made me kind of think about how I have a comparison with them for TV guys or sports guys, And I would say that would be you, jim Nant and Ernie because of y'all longevity, how successful y'all have been, and y'all how professional y'all are. I kind of compare you three with those three.
Speaker 14: What do you think?
Speaker 22: What's your take on that?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: That would be me agreeing that I'm awesome, and that would be kind of awkward. Your thoughts, Yes, I'll let others decide that. Yes, Marvin and your Steph in that situation, threesome.
Speaker 16: Yes, sEH, yes, yes, yes, Pauline, Well, I think objectively you could compare you three in the fact that you're measured on air, and you're consistent on air for decades, and that your part of your job, you realize, is to make the other talent the star in certain situations. Yes, and I think all three of you guys do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but you know Bob Constace and now my I mean there's so many, there's there's too many. But yeah, thank you to be included in that group. But yeah, if I get to pick who I'm going to be, I want to be Steph Curry. Let me take a break. If you're watching on Peacock, you're going to get to watch Fritzy go out and fill his plate full of wings and carrots probably, yeah, and you'll be able to hear Todd eat his wing.
Speaker 3: It's a wonderful, wonder full sound.
Speaker 20: And the burger potato sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls what we learn, what's in store on Monday, we'll write Monday's headline in any sport, have that for you? Coming up this day in sports history, PGA Tour's Best in San Antonio, the Valero Texas Open and you can see it on Golf Channel, NBC and Peacock. Final results of the poll question Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a couple of them up there. We have Ja Morant needs to be helped or suspended right now? Sixty eight percent have him as suspended. We also have which fan base has no sense of humor about itself?
Speaker 3: Bill's Cowboys are Patriots? Cowboys?
Speaker 4: Running away with that one? Seventy seven percent?
Speaker 3: All right, Cowboys? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are they all in again in the office, Like I'm trying to keep track of all the moves the Cowboys have made here in the off season. You have the Pro Days at Colorado with Shadoor Sanders and Travis Hunter. They probably have a couple other players as well. But now I think Dion called it something different than a pro day. Marvin, did you see was there a different label of what the pro day is for Colorado? It was like celebration day or performance day or but it wasn't pro day, but it was something different for Colorado with Shador and Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Yes, payday. I'm looking. I don't see what he said. Well, Travis Hunter is certainly going to get paid up top I.
Speaker 16: Have it, Okay, DM called it. Coach Prime called it a NFL showcase showcase day.
Speaker 3: Okay, he good.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we're going to solve anything today with Shador Sanders, but he seems to be the topic in this draft. Where's he going? Is he slipping Jackson Dark go in front of him? The Saints take him? The over under is eight and a half of the draft picks and right now, and I'd hate to say over, but you start to look at these teams. If the Browns don't take him, and the Giants don't take him, then who else is going to take him? And the Saints it feels like now unless somebody wants to move up and get him, and that's obviously a possibility here. But then I just wonder, is he trade up worthy? If he falls in your lap, you might go, man, this is great. We're very lucky here, Like the Raiders with Brock Bowers, like he was one of the top top guys coming out, but playing tight end. You know, are you going to take him in the top three or four? That's why it's weird when you go that guy is going to be an All Pro? Do you want to take him?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you he's going to be an All Pro. Nobody is surprised that he's an All Pro. But you could have taken him and you know it's a sure thing, but they still don't do it. Like the best player in the draft, you can take him. I don't know, I don't know. Maybe we should take a chance on this quarterback here?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Monday headline any sport? Todd, I'm gonna start with you. You've had a rough show. Maybe nobody's laughing.
Speaker 3: Tod, I'm the only one laughing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm going with what's net to like? We're down to two flag and broom off the final four games?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right? Seating?
Speaker 4: Oh let's is Monday's headline.
Speaker 3: Monday's headline? How about uh? Crock tease?
Speaker 4: Florida gives glimpse of finals showdown.
Speaker 20: That's pretty hot.
Speaker 3: Dang Crock like a gator? Oh yeah, Crock teas crock tease? Uh Marvin.
Speaker 23: Page Turner, page backers leads Yukon. Come on, please talk about that. On Monday, I went to Yukon and I was in a magazine.
Speaker 2: You were just say, but you weren't on the cover of the Yukon magazine.
Speaker 18: I thought, we're having fun.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 2: When the writer's like, oh, you got to say something nice about Marvin, I go.
Speaker 24: Okay, he's he's he's long time, he he's.
Speaker 3: Do you have another question for me? Paulie Monday headline.
Speaker 16: Makes me want a Duke Blue Devils in the final again, not even anti.
Speaker 2: Duke olayright, I'll take that. The judges will, we will accept that one. We will accept that this day in sports history.
Speaker 16: You'll like this one, Dan, one of your guys. Nineteen seventy four, Hank Aaron tied Bay Bruce Major League record with home run seventy one four. Nineteen eighty six, Wayne Gretzky said the NHL record with point number two hundred.
Speaker 3: And thirteen over raided.
Speaker 16: It is funny calling someone not overrated over.
Speaker 3: It on their state.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty three, Jim Nance cried North Carolina State beat Houston fifty four to fifty two to win the NCAA Championship. Nineteen eighty eight. I was at this when Danny Manning and Kansas win over Oklahoma eighty three seventy nine. Let me see anything else. I think that's it. Jason and Florida joins us Hi. Jason wents on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan, you mentioned earlier about the ash plane in the minor league city MIT Sacramento, and if they made the playoffs, they Major League Baseball wouldn't want them to play there. They may have an alternate. They may be able to play in San Francisco, possibly for playoffs, but more legitimately, what if the Tampa Bay Rays makes the playoffs, They're playing in a minor league parking that's still alternative looking for the Rais to play.
Speaker 2: You're right, I mean this is a mess for Major League Baseball. It is two steps forward, one step back. And you know the A's are going to be there for a few years. Tampa Bay. They keep trying to keep them in Tampa and going to get a new stadium, and then you're not getting a stadium, and then you have the weather damage and.
Speaker 3: But there's some other good.
Speaker 2: Positive things with Major League Baseball. Torpedo bats Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 20: Trying to trademark a numeral could be challenging in the court of law.
Speaker 3: Seatan, what did you learn?
Speaker 4: That's what Madag was not worried about the torpedo bats.
Speaker 3: Marvin, what did you learn?
Speaker 18: We don't know anybody on the seventy six ers.
Speaker 3: We do not Paul, what did you learn? Toddy's carrots? Todd? What did I learn?
Speaker 15: Only the Dan Patrick joke and work in Bill Pullman in his career during the opening minutes of a national sports talk show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the phone calls, emails, the tweets, the all around support. Go to danpatrick dot com to listen to the Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble podcast for Fritzie, Seat and Marv Pauli yours truly have a great weekend.