Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, basically One Wall Street. At the moment, might Wilson of More Good Stand be taken a very constructive view on things, writing the rates of changes turned for the better on most fronts. This keeps us positive on us sequities on a twelve month basis, we expect pullbacks to be shallow and unsatisfying to those looking for a fatter pitch. Mike joined us now for more Mike, good morning, Good morning John. I love the reason no don't find SI. So let's talk about don't find one? What elements of the market move shouldn't we fight?
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of what we're just talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, the headlines remained very noisy and uncertain, and I think you know this has been the case for the whole year. Our view, as you know, has been a bit different. We came in thinking the first half would be tougher and the rate of change and a lot of things like earnings, re visions and some of the headline would be negative. And in fact that what we think happens. That all got priced in the week after Liberation Day, right, it was violent, it was a de leveraging and so now as we look at the data itself, it's all inflected higher and so, you know, don't everything, but ignoring the headlines is probably a good strategy and just focus on the data has turned up for the most part. And I think, you know, I don't know where the trade negotiations are going. Nobody does, but I think it's very unlikely we're going to go back to where we were, you know, a month and a half ago, like we bottomed in terms of the pain of that initial you know, announcement and how bad those tariffs were. So unless it really re escalates in a negative fashion, I don't think the trade issues is even going to be enough to kind of take the momentum out.
Speaker 2: Of this market right now.
Speaker 1: You know what the bad view sounds like. They would say that maybe some of the data, some of the earnings we've seen have been flattened by pull forward and we'll get the bill for that later this summer. Do you think we're priced for that kind of slowed down, that weakness we could see in a summer months.
Speaker 2: That's probably right.
Speaker 3: And when we had that view too, there was a pull forward and Q one Q we're not being better than they feared because you know, the numbers came down a bunch.
Speaker 2: I think the second.
Speaker 3: Quarter, though, is expected now to be weaker, so that's going to be the key. I think the biggest risk for the market's going to probably be either rates as we've talked about in the past, you know, north of four and a half percent.
Speaker 2: Or we do go an earning season.
Speaker 3: It's not as you know, people were hoping for, and we have maybe a five to seven percent correction, but that's not what people kind of want. People want a ten you know, another ten to fifteen percent draw down to get better, to get more exposure, and I just don't think you're going to get that. I mean, I've seen this a million times. You want it, but you're just going to have to have a shorter trigger finger.
Speaker 4: Well, you had seen retail largely buying the dip that that's who participated when you got those ruptures in April. If we're not going to get dips like that anymore, what is the willingness of institutions to continue to put money to work right now, especially they didn't even buy the pass dips we saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think institutions have re risk, but there's still more to go. The one the area that I think that that you have to watch is the is the systematic strategies the CTAs that price willmentum money. We saw almost five hundred million dollars of de leveraging in that period of early March through mid April, and they've re risked maybe thirty forty percent of that. So that's another bid that's sort of it's not fundamentally driven, it's just price momentum.
Speaker 2: So that's that's going to be kind of underlying bid.
Speaker 3: And then I think, you know, most institutions have re risk but one thing I haven't talked about yet is it's people are still making the quality bet and we agree with that, meaning this isn't the beginning of a news cycle. It's once again an extension of the existing cycle. And the Fed's probably going to be cutting at some point later this year early next year, and that really behooves the large cap quality equities.
Speaker 4: Does it behoove companies specifically who can also weigh out some of the tariff uncertainty because this has been a big part of the narrative. Right no one's making decisions. Cap X is largely stalled unless your tech is there an element where even though we don't have terarras resolved that you get companies who just get on with it and start to put capital to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got to run a business.
Speaker 3: And that's another reason why large cap quality businesses can do this. They can mitigate some of these risks, whether it's terriffs, whether it's you know, maybe a government cutting back on certain types of spending. And one of the things that is getting through this tax build that I think is still underappreciated is the tax incentives for.
Speaker 2: Cap X and R and D spending.
Speaker 3: We think that could add three to five percent to earnings growth or cash earnings for these large multinationals. That's a big tail in addition to the weaker dollars. So there's just a lot of tailwinds I see from an earning standpoint.
Speaker 2: And this is almost a perfect.
Speaker 3: Environment to climb the wall of worry because the economic data, the political geopolitical data is messy, it's noisy, it's scary sometimes, but as long as the revision factors for earnings are heading north, it's just hard for stacks to go down.
Speaker 1: When you say capecks, I just think of a handful of tech companies. Do you think it goes beyond just tank leadership.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely. I think this is about capital goods. I think this is not just about AI capbacks. Also, one thing to just keep in mind, the IT cappacks that's been good the last several years has really been concentrated just in AI. Okay, the traditional kind of upgrades you see in the enterprise and in the household have not been happening because there was a giant pull forward, remember in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one for work from home. So if you actually look at the IT capback cycle from twenty two to twenty four, it was kind of a software session. And that's another part of our thea We've been going through these rolling recessions and look, to me, the big, the big catalyst to keep in mind for broadening out is going to be when the Fed starts to signal they're more dubbish. I don't know when that's going to be, but my guess is sometime in the third Court they're going to start to signal that, and that's when they're going to get more broadening out to the lower quality parts.
Speaker 1: Is the why matter? Do we need it because inflation is coming in? Or is it going to be because the labor market is cracking.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, look at last fall, it was both right, the labor market was cracking last summer. As soon as they signaled they were ready to step in, the market went up anyway. So that's why I mean, I actually think of recession if we finally get the you know, broad recession labor cycle, I don't think the equity markets are going anywhere near the April lows because the FED will be able to act quickly, and we're like Pavlovian, right, And if retail is buying when the FED wasn't even.
Speaker 2: Cutting, if they are cutting, there's going to.
Speaker 3: Be a big bid there. So look, there's always risks in the market. There's always something to be worried about. There's always things to bearishan and there seems to be bullish on and.
Speaker 2: That's our job.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, this year we've navigated that pretty well, being in the right place. And I think we're going to continue to have to shift what we want to own, not so much how much you want to own.
Speaker 1: You've acknowledged the one thing that could be a handwind for equities as interest rates. He wrote about it over the weekend. What is it about four fifty that's challenging to this equity market because based on the running we've seen over the past few weeks, we don't see much of a challenge.
Speaker 2: Well, it's stabilized at four fifty.
Speaker 3: So we've identified this level like almost two years ago, and it's been like a charm. I mean, as soon as you cross four to fifty in the upside, the correlation between stocks and rates goes negative and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Now, I do think that we kind of went.
Speaker 3: To four seventy in the April period and then they calm down again.
Speaker 2: I think the market is getting comfortable that they have enough tools.
Speaker 3: Because you know, the Treasury Secretary has talked about that to keep it four to fifty or below if they need to, And I think we talked about this last time I was here. Four to seventy five is like the worst place because that's where markets get really nervous. Five percent I actually get bullish because then I know that they're going to come and intervene with either liquidity injections or they're going to use these other tools that the Treasure secretaries talked about. So we're you know, we're we're optimistic that that could be managed and in other words, that risk could be a risk for five or seven percent, but ultimately that risk will get managed to do you.
Speaker 1: Get clients, hosk, can you now about the dead oceans? Asking the equities trying to just about the dead oceans that take place in the week.
Speaker 3: Well, I really ask the equity folks. But I mean people do ask about it, for sure. I mean, and once again we have seen many auctions, soft auctions for the last two or three years, we've seen this occur and then they get control of it.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I don't want to dismiss the risk from the back end of the market that is still to me. The risk, I mean is the risk not only for markets. It's the risk for the US, Like we have too much debt and this is a focus. And if we don't I mean, ultimately, if we don't you know, cut the budget over time, like and maybe the market is now giving them a lead like okay, we'll give you twelve months, you know, but if we don't get serious about you know, budget reconciliation and actually reducing the size of the budget over time, this is an issue that's going to stay with us.
Speaker 1: Mike Wilson more than Stantley. Three words over the weekend. Don't fight it. Don't fight this market, Mike, Thank you, sir. I appreciate it.