Speaker 1: When I mentioned the name Roll Dall, do you what do you think of?
Speaker 2: Definitely you need the BFG. That was a classic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. And I think there was a series of the glass gray Glass elevator. Love those.
Speaker 1: When you picture Doll in your mind, what does he look like?
Speaker 2: Well, he's definitely older, gentleman, I would say, seventy ish, kind of big guy. Not fat, certainly not fat. He doesn't like fat people. But like you know, a tall man, bin cardigan sweater, a beard, sitting in a big kind of comfy reading chair, kind of like masterpiece theater style.
Speaker 1: When I mentioned the name Roll Dahl, what do you think of?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: I think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda James and the Giant Peach, and that he was I think an anti Stlite.
Speaker 1: Dad. What do you know about Roll Dahl? Almost nothing.
Speaker 5: I think I Knowd's name, but if you ask me what he did, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think I could tell you anything about it. Did you know the doll was a spy for British Intelligence?
Speaker 2: No worry, I did not know that.
Speaker 1: That's wild. He worked for my sex.
Speaker 2: Very surprising. I'm very curious.
Speaker 1: Was this before he wrote his stories. It must have been during the war. Roll Doll was a spy for British intelligence. What his job was literally to seduce the wives of powerful Americans and he was really good at it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't think that's true.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I was a spy. I talked to a lot of people about rolldal and none of them knew even a fraction of his full story. And the full story is bananas. Forget the Roll Doll in your head, the one who's the most successful children's author of all time. Forget the image you have of him, which, if it's like mine, is a disheveled BFG look like grandfather figure and a worn out cardigan and shaped like a spoon. Because the Roll Doll I'm about to introduce you to operated in the shadows of World War II as a dashing British spy. Honestly, we could do a whole ten part series just about the spy unit Doll was recruited into during the war, a group of secret British agents in America that called themselves the Irregulars, a name they took from the informal network of child spies and Sharlock Holmes, which also tells you how they see themselves, young men operating in the shadows where traditional agents can't go. So. Picture a handsome, twenty five year old Doll, four thousand miles from home, thrust into this world without a single day of espionage training. Imagine how intimidated he feels walking into a room with this collection of remarkably almost suspiciously handsome and charming men who seemed born for this work. Doll, on the other hand, feels like an imposter in way over his head. Let's hear from the man himself, Roll Dall, describing his unlikely employment goals.
Speaker 5: My job was to try to help WinCE Churchill to get on with FDR and hell Winston. What was in the old boy's mind in America?
Speaker 1: I mean, how cool is he playing it there as if he's just setting a lunch with some old pals and not orchestrating an alliance between the two most powerful leaders in the free world. As you'll hear, Doll's whole life is one surprise after another. It defies all expectations. We would never expect a writer like say Stephen King to secretly conduct espionage, or Jason Bourne to retire from his spy work to pen forty nine beloved books that change children's literature forever. The combination simply should not exist in one human being. But then, how do you explain Roll Dall impossibly implausibly real. Welcome to his deeply bizarre universe. I promise it'll only get stranger from here. For my hard podcasts, Imagine Entertainment and Parallax. This is the secret world of Role Dall. I'm your host, Aaron Tracy. I also teach in the English department at Yale, So books have always been a huge part of my life, and dolls were the foundation, the first ones I ever cracked open and read on my own. Doll's stories are would turn me onto reading. But that's only part of why I've spent decades obsessed with Roll Doll. I'm even more fascinated by what an enigma he is. He tries on all these different masks, kind of like Bob Dylan. He's impossible to nail down. The man is a total cipher, which is maddening when you think about the fact that we offer him up to our most impressionable population. I have two young kids. They're going to grow up reading Doll like millions of others. Now, when my wife and I hire a babysitter, you better believe we do a little digging into who she is first. But we just happily bring Doll into our children's rooms, and not to get too precious about it, but into their hearts and minds, letting him worm directly into their ears night after night. Shouldn't we have some idea of who this guy is? Well, I promise you you don't, but you're about to. Another reason I'm really obsessed with Doll is because he lives the noisiest, craziest, most adventurous life you've ever heard. As a writer, I'm a writer. Literally, no one would describe me as adventurous. I write a ton of TV and audio dramas. But at eleven am as I record this and I'm still in my bathroom. The most adventurous I ever am is changing up my smoothie recipe by adding peppermint. That's what being a writer is. But no one told Roald Dahl. You may only know Dahl for his books, but when we're done with this series, you're gonna feel like his writing is about the nineteenth most interesting thing about him, which is especially bananas. When you'll get the numbers. The man has sold over three hundred million books. He's been translated into sixty three languages. And we put that three hundred million copies sold into context. Herman Melville, Henry James, Virginia Woolf, Tony Morrison, Philip Roth, fellow children's author Shel Silverstein. Add up all of their sales of all of their books, and it equals about twenty five percent of Dolls. That's a nutting number. Here's another one. In twenty eighteen, the Hollywood Reporter wrote that Netflix spent around one billion dollars for the rights to Dolls works. But of course his impact is so much bigger than the stats. The man has permeated our collective consciousness. I have never in my life unwrapped a candy bar without part of me wondering, even for just a millisecond, if there might be a golden ticket in there, Which is meant to say, I don't have my issues with the man. He could be difficult, sometimes incredibly nasty to those he's closest to, kind of like some of his characters, it's easy to forget how he actually treats the kids in his books, especially the ones who aren't the heroes.
Speaker 6: Take missus glup straight to the fudge room, but look sharp, or her little boys are able to get poured into the boiler.
Speaker 3: You bot him up. I know it.
Speaker 5: Goodbye Missus gloup adiu Alvider's Yep.
Speaker 1: All those children on the chocolateur A get tortured in gruesome ways. Same in the Witches, same in Matilda. There's so much nastiness there, leaks off the page, staining your fingers. When he died in nineteen ninety, the Washington Post, my hometown newspaper, did not mince words. Quote. No children's author of the past thirty years has regularly sparked more controversy than Roald Dahl. On the one hand, kids consistently name him their favorite writer. On the other, our best critics maintained that his books are larded with gratuitous violence, bigotry, sexism, vulgarity, greed, and all manner of foulness. And that's not some hit piece or social media takedown, it's his obituary. Dahl's nastiness and his controversies have sucked up a lot of oxygen in the past few years. I now look at the spines of his books on my shelf, not that differently than I look at JK. Rowlings, which is to say, kind of queasily. We'll definitely get into all that. It's fascinating, sometimes ugly stuff from a guy who helped shape generations, but for now, I'll just say it's a strange, super complicated thing to admire so much about Doll with the knowledge that he wouldn't have come to my Hanaka party. My friend, the writer Ben Dolnik, captures the dilemma perfectly in a short essay he wrote. He writes about watching his daughter fall heglong quote into that extraordinary, silent, inexpensive schedule, disrupting passion of reading. Ben wrestles with watching her cherish books written by a man who may have been repelled by her very existence. I wanted to start the show off by talking to friends about their perceptions of Doll, because the weirdness that people see in him is really telling. Here's the opening of a BBC profile from nineteen eighty two. This is how a venerable, respected network introduces one of the world's most famous authors. The man who lives in this house makes very good orange marmalade. He also reads orchids. He has never eaten a dish of tripe in his life, and he wishes that his dog could speak to him. He's Roald dal who else in the world will be introduced like that? He makes very good or marmalade and has never eaten s tripe. But that's how people talk about Doll. He's a curiosity, a character, not a man. Honestly, I think it's at least partly due to his appearance a real life giant at six foot six plus. He's got that name that's so unusual for most people, and his creativity is just so off the charts. So with all that, he can't possibly be like you and me, right, he must be some fantastical creature that just wandered into our world. People are desperate for him to be a real life BFG or a Mistrench bol or Willy Wonka, which fine is not that unfair or unusual. We definitely imagine Hemingway was as haunted as his characters. We'd feel cheated if Phoebe waller Bridge wasn't as raw or hilarious as hers. But here's the crucial difference. Those other writers' characters operate within the boundaries of recognizable human behavior. Doll's creations exist in a universe where children turn into blueberries and giants roam the countryside collecting dreams. So was Doll really is? Mischievous and outlandish? Whimsical and grow Tescus his characters sort of? Now, I'm incredibly excited to tell you about Doll's very strange life as a very real secret agent. Picture Doll in his early twenties, that critical moment when most of us are fumbling to find our path. Not long before, he'd been soaring through the skies as a fighter pilot for the Royal Air Force, but a series of catastrophic crashes have left him broken, his flying career abruptly terminated. So now he's at a crossroads. The war continues to rage, but his part in it has been stripped away, and he's looking for what to do with his life. Doll finds himself at a cocktail party in London that a date has tried him to. He towers awkwardly above the crowd, nursing a drink, contemplating an early exit. It's an elite crowd, but it's a lot of rehearsed anecdotes and performative laughter. Then something catches his eye, a solitary figure standing apart. Not a film star or socialite, but someone far more intriguing to a political obsessive like dahl Major Harold Balfour, a member of Churchill's war cabinet, one of the men literally deciding the fate of Britain. As German bombs fall in London. Dahl Sen says this could be his chance. Impressing the Major might lead to something, though he has no idea that this conversation will alter the trajectory of his entire life. Let me pause here for a quick sec to set the scene for what's going on in the world, because it's crucial to what Doll is about to become part of. The late nineteen thirties and early forties are one of those rare times that it's not an exaggeration to say the fate of the world is at stake. Hitler isn't just winning battles. He's winning the war, mostly because the US is sitting on the sidelines. The British ambassador warns his government that nine out of ten Americans are determined to stay out of the war, in other words, to not help Britain. The most famous of these is Charles Lenburg.
Speaker 6: It is not that England is losing war, and I have been forced to the conclusion that we cannot win this war for England, regardless of how much assistance we sin. That is why the America First Committee has been formed.
Speaker 1: And this is while Germany is sweeping through Europe. The Nazis take Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg and France, and America we're just watching an unfold Many, if not most, Americans are still traumatized from the first time we joined at a World War twenty years earlier. The memory of American boys coming home in coffins We're not coming home at all, remains raw. The thinking is simply that Hitler is not our problem. The public isn't yet aware of what's going on with the Jews of Europe. The reports of them being rounded up and sent to concentration camps is just too impossible to believe, so we choose not to. Britain, of course, is on the brink. You know this, You've seen the movies, read the books, listen to the podcasts, Think Churchill Pacing War Rooms by Lamplight, Britain's darkest hour. If FDR doesn't send help and fast, England is done. So put yourself in Winston Churchill's position. Your island nation stands as one of the last flickering lights of democracy in Europe. Your cities are being bombed into rubble. Your people are sleeping in subway tunnels, and across the Atlantics, it's America, powerful, untouched and stubbornly unwilling to join the fight. What wouldn't you do to change their minds? At that point? Is anything off the table? This is where espionage becomes not just an option but a necessity. Okay, So back to our cocktail party. Dollspot's Major Balfour, a man who's signature on documents can move troops and redirect warplanes. Doll takes a deep breath, and, with that peculiar confidence that will define him throughout his life, he crosses the room, introduces himself in some begins to chat. Doll gives great chat. His conversation has all the hallmarks of his later fiction. Wickedly funny, wildly creative, a little dirty, totally compelling, Doll is one of those people who just instinctively knows how to captivate. I'm always so jealous of those people, the ones who have small crowds gathered around them at parties, funny and magnetic without being at all self conscious. The Major, like everyone else who meets Dall in this period, is taken with him. And then it happens. The Major tells Doll that he's looking for smart, well educated young men to go to America to join the British embassy. This conversation has changed everything, but not how Doll thinks it has. Doll thinks he's being recruited for a diplomatic post. What the Major leaves out is what he really has in mind for Doll. Military intelligence. The head of the Irregulars has tasked the Major with finding brilliant, articulate, charming, morally flexible young men with military backgrounds to join his outfit. The Major seems to have found such a man. The very next week, Dolls out a plane to Washington. When Dohl first arrives in DC, he's entranced. It's this big cauldron of power ego mixed with ambition, mixed with secks, mixed again with power, Yet it all feels as intimate as a college campus. Everybody knows everybody. I grew up in DC and then the Northwest part of it. Walk into any restaurant, linger in any bookstore, sit at any coffee shop counter, and people are talking politics. It's in the water supply, just like the entertainment industry in LA. So every room Doll enters is an opportunity. Doll's trickiest endeavor when he first arrives is finding decent housing in the notoriously overcrowded city. He opens the newspaper and looks through the classifieds. He finds a surprisingly nice place that he can actually afford. The reason he can afford it is because there was a bloody murder suicide in it last week. Victim Rosemary Sigley, was a beautiful young researcher for the agency that becomes the CIA. She was also a wealthy heiress. Her murder was a giant scandal, and two days after there was a line of people outside waiting to see if the scene of the crime would be rented at a discount. You gotta love the real estate market. But what's important for us is that Doll is the first man in that line, which tells you so much about who he is. The future author of tales filled with darkly comic violence, isn't remotely bothered by the apartment's bloody history. If anything, there's a flicker of fascination as he signs the lease. The apartment's gruesome backstory isn't a deterrent, It's almost an attraction. The man loves gruesome. Here's one of his most beloved books, with a little girl torturing her.
Speaker 7: Nemesis, when if you tried to poison me, Oh, Matilda.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 1: So Much of Doll's fiction pulls the reader towards scenes of fear and dread. There's a ton of children in peril and adults with real bad intentions, danger lurking, and what we thought were safe spaces. He's able to conjure these scenes so well because they're part of his fabric. Dahl SE's darkness everywhere, which means he barely notices it anymore. When Dall moves into Rosemary's place, it takes him two nights before he spots the rusty bloodstains still in the carpet and the single bullet hole in the ceiling. Lots of people me very much included, would immediately move out. Doll simply makes a mental note of it, another detail and the strange tapestry of his life, and goes to sleep under the same roof where a bullet ended someone else's now. Dall is ostensibly in DC to work for the British Embassy, so that's what he does for a while. He pushes diplomatic papers, attends formal functions, fills out reports, and he's suffocating. Each morning he sits before stacks of documents, watching the clock move with excruciating slowness. Dahl wants something bigger for his life. He's searching for something with meaning. But what Dall doesn't realize is that someone is watching his every move. The big legendary figure you need to know about right now is William Stephenson code name Intrepid. Stevenson is Winston Churchill's head of espionage in America. He's one of the key inspirations for James Bond, who was created by one of his agents. This gives you a sense of what Stephenson looks like, impeccably dressed, handsome features and penetrating eyes that catalog everything. His clean cut compose and emanates the confidence of a man who can have you vanished with a single phone call. This is the man whose attention now turns to Roll Dall to accomplish Britain's mission during this really scary time. Stevenson is the one who assembles that elite, spiring the Irregulars. Writer and historian Jeanette Conan calls their operation one of the most controversial and almost certainly one of the most successful covert action campaigns in the Annals of Espionage. Stevenson's eye for talent is wild. Just for starters. There's Rolldall, of course, and Ian Fleming, who later creates James Bond, essentially immortalizing his own experiences here, and David Ogilvy, who goes on to invent modern advertising. Three world class creators of fantasy. So picture Roll Doll, James Bond, and Don Draper all hanging out, drinking and seducing their way through a foreign capital during wartime, and you start to have a sense of what it's like. The whole thing feels like the premise of a prestige TV series. Beautiful Rakish young men recruited into a shadow organization far from home because of their smarts, persuasiveness, and talent for deception, tasked with doing whatever they have to to save the free world from fascism. The mission of the Irregulars is broad gathering intelligence, sabotaging enemies, and creating propaganda that shifts public opinion. Their official history describes them as howard with the vague task of doing all that was not being done and could not be done by other means, Which, come on is a license to operate in the gray areas if I've ever heard one. Doll can't believe he's been recruited into this group. A month ago, he was languishing in the English countryside, desperate to figure out his life, hungry for purpose. Now he's found a role filled with subterfuge, deceit, storytelling, and role play. In other words, all of his natural skills with the highest stakes imaginable. The personal stakes for Doll are huge too. He can't go home to Buckingham Sure after this and tend to the sheep. This job is about to become his whole identity. You can tell how formative it all is for Doll by the fact that it echoes through his later fiction like a recurring dream. Willy Wonka with an air of mystery beneath a playful exterior, constantly testing those who enter his orbit. He's definitely inspired by Stevenson and others Doll works for in the Spy Game, also the Secret Society and the Witches that performs covert missions. All of these stories that are going to captivate millions of children are born in the shadows of wartime espionage. So far, though the Irregulars are failing at their task of winning America to their side, they're forced to get creative. One of my favorite tactics of theirs is when they hire a Hungarian astrologer, Louis de Wall. The assignment they give him to publicly predict Hitler's demise based on the positions of the stars and therefore make Germany seem less scary to Americans. It's like a pr smear campaign on the fascist dictator. Can't you just picture these younger regulars around a table at two am at some smoky Georgetown bar, whiskey flowing. One says, what if we just told Americans they have nothing to lose because the stars have already decided the Third Reich is done for and instead of laughing it off. There's a long silence. They look at each other intensely and say that is brilliant. They're so tickled with their idea they send Louis on a national tour. Stevenson's main tactics, however, involved targeting the upper echelons of the US government, and this is both to bring the US into the war, and once that's accomplished, to make sure London maintains significant influence. If Britain can get someone close to the American president, that would be huge. Enter young Roll Doll. It turns out one of Doll's skills in particular makes him especially effective with the irregulars. It's the same skill he'll later become legendary for his storytelling. Doll has recently begun writing short stories. It's not yet the all consuming passion it will become. Like many young writers, Doll is trying to find his voice by writing mostly autobiographically. Specifically, he's churning out brief fiction pieces inspired by his childhood and his time in the Royal Air Force. The stories are clever and dark, a little scary, and totally original. One story in particular centers on these grotesque little creatures he calls Gremlins whose sabotage aircraft a fun Gothic story, which doubles is a fable for American and British cooperation. One reason to Work continues to be read and seen and performed over a century after his birth is that Lake Greek myths, his narratives tapp directly into our primal fears and desires. They speak to universal human concerns, wrapped in the irresistible package of the bizarre and scary and funny. The Gremlins has all of this. And in case you're wondering, as I was, this Gremlins has nothing to do with the Stephen Spielberg produced classic. Dall mails the story out to every magazine accepting unsolicited submissions, and one bites the Gremlins gets published in a local journal, and the story connects with readers. Those who dig it pass it around to their pals. Of course, in these days that means literally handing your copy of the physical magazine to someone. Eventually, because this is just how Doll's luck works, his story gets passed to a certain very important person.
Speaker 5: You may have heard of, Eleanor Roosevelt, ready to her grandchildren. And I loved this book.
Speaker 1: Here's Dahl years later on a chat show on BBC one speaking to host Terry Wogan about his stroke of incredible fortune.
Speaker 5: And so I got invited to the White House and we got to know each other a bit, you know, and I would go for weekends. FDR had his country place is called Hyde Park at Fast Place, and used to go there to know him. I was only a young chap of twenty six in an RAF uniform, and I had no business around there.
Speaker 1: Really, are you kidding me? First, by just befriending a staffer or an intern in the Roosevelt administration would be giant. Doll, in his mid twenties, becomes pals with the First Family and how he do it through his skill he hasn't yet realized will be his superpower. Making up a clever story. Dall spends his time at Hyde Park, swimming, bird watching, barbecuing and drinking with the President and First Lady. He's making mental notes on everything, desperate to report it all back to Stevenson and prove himself in the job. According to Dol, he even managers to spend time alone with FDR, mixing Martiniz before lunch while the tipsy President says things like I just received an interesting cable from mister Churchill, and then proceeds to tell Doll what Churchill wrote. Surprise, surprise, FDR clearly takes a liking to Doll. Two. He even drives Doll around the property and especially made car. It all feels pretty surreal for a young man not many years out of high school who's been tapped as a spy and is now casually hanging out with the most powerful couple on the planet. At the end of his first weekend with the First Family in all those lavish surroundings, Doll goes back to his tiny apartment with the bloodstained carpet and writes up an incredibly thorough twelve page report with journalistic precision quote visit to Hyde Park July second to fourth, Yeah, he got invited there for July fourth. Doll's report includes everything FDR said about Churchill, his impressions about whether FDR will run for another term, and everything else he thinks could even possibly be relevant. Whether Doll's report was read by Churchill himself, but it's clear his work helps the British government gain insight into where America stands. There's even a suggestion that Roosevelt may have used Doll to convey information to the British that was impossible for FDR to stay outright for diplomatic reasons. For Doll, it is such a head trip. Writer Matthew Denison points out Rold's life have become a double life. He was still ostensibly working for the British embassy at the same time he was a gather and conduit of information in Britain's best interests. Needless to say, Doll's handlers are more than a little shocked and beyond thrilled with this kid, and Dall's early success only makes him more confident. The young man who felt rudderless just months earlier now moves through Washington with the assurance of someone who believes he can't fail. One of Dall's more salacious tasks for the Irregulars is seducing powerful women in order to enlist their help. This is a task the young Doll is very excited about. He's also built for it, and he uses this trait for his most important seduction with a woman with the very whimsical very dolli in name Claire Booth. Loose Dolls first sent to Claire because of who she's married to. Claire is one half of one of the most influential power couples of the century. Her husband is Henry Loose, who builds a media empire that quite literally shapes what millions of Americans think. He's the founder of Ready for It, Time Magazine, Fortune Magazine, Life Magazine, and Sports Illustrated. When these publications begin running pieces with distinctly anti British undertones, British intelligence is not happy for a nation fighting for its survival. This isn't just bad press, it's an existential threat. If American public opinion turns against Britain, vital Aid could evaporate overnight. The irregulars have to find a way to change the tenor of Henry's magazines. They're not sure how to reach Henry, who's notoriously stubborn, but maybe they can get to his wife. After all, it's an open secret that the Loose marriage is unconventional. For its final twenty eight years, Henry apparently refuses to sleep with Claire. He says he's in such profound awe of her that he can't get aroused, a truly tragic condition that vanishes whenever he's around almost literally any other woman. Dahl first meets Claire at the New York premiere of a propaganda film, Eagle Squadron. It's about US airman who volunteered to fly with the Royal Air Force. The lobby outside the screening room is packed with DC power players. Cigar smoke hangs in lazy clouds beneath crystal chandeliers. The murmur of hush conversations about policy and the war intermingles with the clink of cocktail glasses. Dahl's date, Nancy Carroll, is a celebrity once nominated for Best Actress, which tells you everything about Doll's social currency. There whispers about the impropriety of Nancy's obvious infatuation with Dol, who's twelve years younger than her, but Nancy doesn't seem to care, and neither does All. He already draws attention with his height and good looks. He enjoys the gaze of the room, but doesn't seek it, and his focus is now pulled elsewhere. Claire Loose is not in a spotlight, but in a pocket of conversation where men lean down to hear her. Doll doesn't approach, not yet. He observes how Claire holds court teasing some young congressman who said the wrong thing. The house lights begin to flicker. Dahl leads Nancy into the theater, but as they settle in, his eyes remain Unclare Claire spots his stare, this impossibly handsome, impossibly composed British diplomat. She gets a chill when she realizes he's not looking away. He's telling her this look is not a passing glance, not an accident. Doll has already been briefed on Claire by the irregulars. For Claire's part, there's no flustered, bashful reaction. Dall does not return home that night. Later in the week, when Dall dutifully writes a letter to his mother, he tells her everything, and I mean everything, even about his awkward exchange with his landlady. After getting home from Claire's. He writes, quote, I got home at nine am the next morning. I had to do a lot of talking to re establish my reputation. Doll's job, of course, isn't just to have one night stance. If he's going to change Claire's opinion of the Brits and try to get her to influence her husband's magazines. It needs to be a more involved affair. Dall soon realizes focusing only on the effect Claire might have on time and life is shortsighted. Changing Claire's mind about the Brits will also be hugely helpful, because what I haven't mentioned yet is that Claire is incredibly influential in her own right. Claire lives a giant life, almost as noisy as Dolls Blake Doll. Claire finds incredible success in a number of completely different fields. She starts out as a short story writer. The New York Times finds her first published volume superficial, but praises its quote lovely festoons of epigrams, and writes, what malice there may be in these pages has a falinity that is the purest angoring. I have absolutely no idea what that means either, but I guess it's not good because it pushes Claire to pivot away from short stories and to try playwriting. Turns out she's pretty good at it. In nineteen thirty six, Claire writes The Women, which runs over six hundred performances on Broadway. It's a commentary on the pamper lives of wealthy Manhattan socialites, which Claire is about to become. The play is adapted twice for the movies, later with a Net Betting and Meg Ryan, but first with Joan Crawford.
Speaker 5: Well, girl, looks like it's back to the perfume grounded for me.
Speaker 6: And by the way, there's a name for you, ladies, but it is used in high society outside of.
Speaker 1: A kennel Lake Dahl, Claire bores easily. After her success with the Women, Claire decides to move into journalism. She works at Vogue Vanity Fair, then decides to try war correspondent for Life magazine. Growing restless yet again, Claire takes her varied experiences in creative writing, journalism, and in the war and decides to run for Congress. Accomplished, beautiful and wealthy, Claire wins her election, and she's seated on the powerful House Military Affairs Committee. Here she is years later on the cartoonishly conservative William F. Buckley Show, speaking about the subject of men versus women.
Speaker 3: Man's ruth strength. We're stronger than a woman's strength. It's that simple. After which, in order to get out from anger, she developed a thing called guile. Gile was weaponed against tyranny.
Speaker 1: With Claire's seat in Congress, her powerful committee assignment, and her unique ability to captivate audiences with her writing, plus her husband's little publishing empire, you could argue Claire's about as influential as it gets, which is bad for the Brits, because she also gives a blistering forty minute speech on the House floor arguing passionately against cooperation with England. If Doll can help sway her, he'll be a hero to the irregulars. Claire is in a very different social stratosphere than twenty something Dull, living off cheese sandwiches in his tiny walk up apartment. But even though Claire is already incredibly successful, anne married, and at thirty nine, thirteen years older than Dahl, she falls for him. Here's a tall, handsome ex pilot who can talk literature and theater with her in a way most DC boys cannot. The relationship is electric, and Doll is soon complaining to his superiors about Claire's appetite. According to a lawyer who serves an FDR's administration, again with a name that may as well be out of a Doll story, Creak more Fath Doll confides in him that he just can't take another night with Claire. She's completely worn him out over three NonStop evenings. He doesn't have anything left. I went to the ambassador this morning, Doll says, and I said, you know, it's a great assignment, but I just can't go on. And according to Dol, the Ambassador replied, Rold, did you ever see the Charles Lotton movie Henry the Eighth Do you remember the scene of Henry going to the bedroom with Anne of Cleaves and he turns and says, the things I've done for England, Well, that's what you've got to do. Many years later, Doll will put the things I've done for England line into Sean Connery's mouth as James Bond. I don't really believe the British Ambassador said all that to Doll. To me, this feels less like a real complaint and more like a humble brag. Dolls trying to figure out what it means to be a man in this uncertain period. Should he be a macho playboy or a more sensitive man of letters. He's twenty six. This is when you figure out who you are, which isn't easy when you're lying about your identity. It's almost everyone you meet. The overall effect of Doll's relationship with Claire is pretty profound. He reports back on all his intimate, candid conversations with her. He's able to tell his superiors about internal debates regarding the British that are happening in Congress and behind closed doors in influential media circles. He's offering unparalleled insight into American political dynamics, and he helps the British craft proactive ways to engage the Americans for help. And pretty soon, wouldn't you know it, Life Maga is running some pro British stories framing Britain as America's most essential ally. But even more importantly, dall is in weekending with the President, carrying on an affair with the congresswoman and mingling with some of the most powerful figures in the country. In espionage accesses everything, and Doll has it, But he's still far from achieving all his goals. He still has a lot of work left to do, and he's going to have to do it with a ton of obstacles in his way. While I've mentioned that pretty much everybody who meets Stall loves him. The truth is that when anyone is as successful as Dollars, there are going to be those who don't appreciate it. A charming, arrogant, handsome, twenty six year old foreigner actively practicing espionage on behalf of six in the US and conducting affairs with some of the most powerful women in the nation. Yeah, that's going to engender some enemies for one, the FBI. The Secret World of Roll Dall is produced by Imagine Audio and Parallax Studios for iHeart Podcasts. Created and written by me Aaron Tracy, produced by Matt Schrader, post production by wind Hill Studios, with editing, scoring, and sound design by Mark Henry Phillips. Editing by Ryan Seton, music by a PM. Executive producers Nathan Cloke, Karl Welker, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, and Aaron Tracy. Additional voice performances and recreation by Mark Henry Phillips and Eleven Laps. If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to rate and review The Secret World of Roll Dall on Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. Copyright twenty twenty six Imagine Entertainment, iHeartMedia and parallax