Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to the It Girl podcast. I am here with Ava.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming your first podcast. Yes, we are so honored to be your first.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me diving right in. You've grown up online in a very visible way. Do you feel like people know you or online versions of you?
Speaker 2: Oh, this is a good question.
Speaker 1: And what's your relationship like with your audience?
Speaker 2: That is really a good question. I do think that doing YouTube and starting on YouTube, I was able to develop such a strong relationship with my audience, and I feel like I'm very much myself on YouTube and like more unfiltered, and I love the platform because you really do have the space to be yourself and to share all sorts of parts of your life and of yourself. But of course, like it's mediated because it's edited, and like online isn't real life. So I do feel that I have a really strong relationship with my online community. But yeah, I don't know. I think about this a lot, like do people really know you as a person if they've never met you and aren't close to you. I don't think so, but I think it's still like a comforting kind of relationship. Do you How do you say.
Speaker 1: Parasocial on some level, like on a level they don't really know you, but you feel like your YouTube is an honest representation of you and who you are.
Speaker 2: I think so. But I also think I've always been very good at keeping good, strict boundaries with my private life because I recognize that not everyone that's in my life wants to be online and wants their stuff to be shared. So that was one thing I strug struggled is maybe a bit of a big word, but that was harder when I started YouTube because it took off really quickly, and I was so young and didn't really understand, like I wasn't able to conceptualize numbers, and even to this day, I don't think I really do in the sense of, like this many people are watching and have insight into your life, and so I would, you know, be vlogging in my house during COVID with my family and putting my sister and my parents online and I don't know. I think at that time I didn't really understand that I was giving everyone a glimpse into my private life. So I think with time I've really learned to be more like conscious of that.
Speaker 1: I've heard that from every YouTuber Girly that we've had on We've had so many great YouTube a girls and girls that started seventeen eighteen, nineteen years old, and everyone has said, I didn't realize how much I was putting out there, and I didn't realize what those numbers meant of how many people were really and not everybody has your best interest at heart, So I feel like you kind of have to be careful. It's not even so much like wanting to hide a version of yourself. It's more so like protecting yourself from the people that maybe don't wish you as well or for.
Speaker 2: Sure, and I think too, It's just I'm a very private person even in real life, Like I have a very small circle of really close friends, and I don't know, I think I'm a bit protective of that. And yeah, I don't know. I've always kind of been that way, so which is kind of weird when you think about it, because I share so much of my life online, but very yeah, I am very particular about like what I share. Although I do feel like if you watch my videos, you know my vibe and like you know a lot about me. I wouldn't say I think that it's possible to like know me personally through online, but I don't think anyone can really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I completely I very much understand that, very very much understand that your content has always had a distinct visual language. Where do you think your taste comes from and what do you do to hone your taste?
Speaker 2: Well, I grew up with a mom who is also like a very like a creative, a creative person. She has ceramics, Our house has always been full of colorful shapes and stuff that like. Growing up sometimes I was like what is this? But I think that it really influenced me. Like my bathroom is pink, and you walk into my house, yeah, and the entry is pink and we have like these bunk, funky sculptures all over the place. So that I think growing up around my mom, who's always been very eccentric and very herself as very much influenced to me, and then my sister too. She's always had an eye. We've always like when we've traveled as a family, she's always been the one to be taking photos and stuff like that, and I think I learned a lot from her honing my own taste. I think with YouTube exploring the more video format really helped me kind of yeah, hone, my taste and like visual I don't know if that really makes sense, but learning how to see the world in like my own way and looking through a camera. Now I feel like sometimes I'm walking in the street and it's like sometimes I'm like thinking through that lens a little bit, if that makes sense, like capturing random stuff that I think is pretty, but that other people might be like, what is the purpose of this, Like a random rapper in the street, you know what I mean. So yeah, I think through YouTube that's really helped me, and then I guess more on a style front. In high school, I had a like aur group of friends. We would be thrifting like almost weekly, going to Value Village and like.
Speaker 1: Oh, shut out, Value Village, Yeah the best.
Speaker 2: I haven't been there too long.
Speaker 1: I don't think they have it here you No, I don't think they have it in New York.
Speaker 2: No. I mean they have others, I'm sure, but we'd go to this one like near our high school anyways, and literally weekly, like shopping all the time was like back when it was like three dollars for something, you know. I think that really helped me discover my own style because I would buy stuff not really knowing if I liked it that much, but I would like cut stuff up and play around with that. So that really I think shaped my style and even to this day, it's my favorite way to shop vintage secondhand anything.
Speaker 1: Are you a big Pinterest girl?
Speaker 2: Not for what you would think, okay, like not really for style or clothing, but very much so for like home design.
Speaker 1: I was going, they're just like food, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm more of like the pretty stuff I don't know, like my Instagram for example, the type of carousels I create, I think or like a mix, a very lifestyle mix, and I think that's where I get in spo on Pinterest is like how people capture their everyday things in their everyday life, and like nails and makeup stuff that I'm really not that good at. So maybe, yeah, I don't know colors, I do love Pinterest.
Speaker 1: What is your biggest source of style inspiration?
Speaker 2: Honestly, my friends. One of my best friends is like the best thrifter I've ever met, and she'll always pull out these pieces and I'm like, where did you find that? And I honestly I'm always borrowing from her and like for my birthday. She curated this little thrift package.
Speaker 1: That's such a sweet I guess.
Speaker 2: So so sweet. And I wore one of the pieces to like an event in New York back in during fashion week, and I swear everyone at the event was like, is that door? I was like wearing a random thing that she had thrifted from me anyways, and I was like, yeah, she's she's talented. So friends. Also, one of my best friends is like a Danish stylist and she always has the coolest stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm gonna need to follow her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she's so cool.
Speaker 1: They're the coolest girls.
Speaker 2: They are, And I think, honestly, I really found my style when I was studying abroad in Copenagen three years ago. Before that, like yeah, I was a little bit Pinterest inspired, like I don't know, and then I went to Denmark, where everyone has such insane, insane style. People really play around, have fun, and I just had like kind of a style awakening.
Speaker 1: It's my next life goal is to do I've done Paris Fashion Week, New York Fashion Week, and I want to do Copenhagen Fashion Week. Those girls just have it. Yeah, they are just like queen'sick girl. In every way.
Speaker 2: Everyone is so nice too, which I think is a big part of being an IT girl. I think so too like it for me if you have cool style and you're nice and cool to be around, Like yeah, that's the best. And everyone I think in Copenhagen is like incredibly nice and awesome.
Speaker 1: If we had a slogan, it would be it girls are nice girls. Like I say that all all the time. It's the number one rule. If people aren't nice, I don't post their episodes, I don't like release their street interviews, whatever it is. Because IT girls are nice girls. They need to be nice to other women. So I'm excited. That makes me want to go there even more.
Speaker 2: I love that it's very like inclusive, like everyone's welcome and I love it.
Speaker 1: And they play with fashion in like just a way that's so chic and elegant, Like they just do it in a way that's just not tacky in any capacity. They just know how to blend and mix and.
Speaker 2: Colorful and like yeah, old, yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: Love those girls. Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I could see your Copenhagen fashion inspiration.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: What's inspiring you right now. That has nothing to do with social media.
Speaker 2: Ooh, book art, Yeah, yeah, I read a lot. I'm reading this book that my dad got me for Christmas. It's called Lao je Metie. It's by Caroline Dawson. She's like a Quebec quebecer and it's about it's like anecdotal about her immigration from Chile to Montreal when she was a child. Anyways, it's really really good inspiration. Yeah, all the books I read. I feel like books are like kind of my main accessory, so like when I'm whatever I'm reading kind of like determines my vibe for the week or something. Honestly, substock has been so inspiring for me lately. I just got on it a couple months ago. If I could kind of late to the game a little bit, but oh my gosh, my substack is my passion. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: I'm like struggling to write because I want everything to be so good and I have like such a love for it, and I appreciate it so much, and I appreciate the community so much because the women are so nice and they're so supportive. They will read paragraph after paragraph that you write. They will respond like it's such a beautiful place for people to like. I just think it's a great community.
Speaker 2: I agree, And it feels like people are having conversations. It's not just like comments, if that makes sense. So it's like more yeah, back and forth. And I'm also like trying to get more into writing again since I graduated, so I've been enjoying that and like the personal essays on substock unbelievable, unbelievable, so many incredible writers with incredible takes, Like I read this article a couple of weeks ago called everyone wants to be a DJ, but no one wants to dance, And I literally think about it all the time. But it's about like art and how such a big part of art is the audience and it just got me thinking so much about like what we do too, and how like a huge part of creating is I guess, reception, and like creating spaces that feel fun to consume media and if that makes sense, and like social media sometimes can be so exhausting to consume. So yeah, anyways, that's something that really inspired me.
Speaker 1: I think I love Substack. I feel like it is the most it is like the elegant, curated side of the internet. It is like there is no negativity, and if there is, it's an It's productive and it's commentary as opposed to like just nasty comment Like it doesn't force you to read anything, like you're choosing to read things. A lot of it's paid, so you have to like really be interested. I am a substack advocate. I love it, and I love that it gives women a place to write.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it very intentional, yes, extremely and ever just like support it literally, like I said, it's like the elegant part of the Internet. It's nothing like the kind of comments you read on like a TikTok. I feel like YouTube two people are really because it's such a lot like if I'm going to watch thirty six minutes of your week, I care you know. I'm not gonna hate watch thirty six minutes. No, somebody will hate watch the forty five seconds. So I'll tell you, Yeah, for sure, bag has been online made you more confident or more self aware?
Speaker 2: Oh? Great question. I think a little bit of both. I think I think I've always been quite self aware, like socially anxious and that kind of thing, but being online has exacerbated that for sure, where it's just I think of my last years of college, especially when most of my cohort graduated. I did college in four years instead of three, and I couldn't go to campus because I felt so self aware and so anxious about that, and so that definitely played with confidence, where I just felt like too self aware, like it just wasn't good for me. And then but that led me to have lots of reflections, and I think now I see it as having built my confidence in a lot of ways, maybe through that actually, And I think being in the industry and having the opportunity to like go to events and stuff on my own has really helped with my confidence, especially in the past year. Showing up places on your own is terrifying, and now I feel like very good doing it. So I think that's through doing that, like exiting my comfort zone, which this job has forced me to do a lot, I've built my confidence up.
Speaker 1: Event alone is truly my worst nightmare.
Speaker 2: It used to be mine too, but now it's like you're going to know someone there, people are nice, like, don't fret.
Speaker 1: Do you think confidence can exist when you're constantly being perceived or you think you have to kind of remove yourself from it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's like related really to others think and being perceived. I think confidence is kind of not necessarily innate, but like it shouldn't be influenced by what other people think. That's kind of the point, right, Ooh, I love that, I think, no, because that's definitely something I've struggled with, is like caring so much what people think, or like what boys think and stuff like that that will like completely affect my confidence and it's like male validation or like things like that. And then it's realizing actually that should and even be a factor, like confidence should come within with knowing that you're doing something cool and you're kind to people, and you have something to say and something to contribute to conversations, and that you show up like with a good attitude.
Speaker 1: That for me makes me fabulous advice. Yeah, fabulous advice. Oh my gosh, that is great advice. It's incredibly true, and that's great advice. And I'm much older than you and I still struggle with it. So I think that's I think everyone we all need to hear that.
Speaker 2: We all have our moments. But like that's I try to remind myself of that as often as I can.
Speaker 1: I love it. What has surprised you most about being in your twenties.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think when you're younger, you think your twenties you're going to have it all figured out. I think a lot of people say that and think that. So what's surprised me, but kind of in a good way, I think is realizing that kind of none of us have figured out. It feels kind of comforting to see my twenties more as like a trial and air time of my life and a moment to try things and like work hard, put yourself out there. But yeah, I don't know. I always thought that when I was be like twenty five, I'd have my whole life figured out, But like, I don't think that that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: You also have it more together in a career than I think most do at twenty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I still feel I still struggle a lot with feeling like what I'm doing is legitimate enough and always wanting to like add on to my resume in a sense I think to like, yeah, there's a lot of pressure from people in my life, like not in a bad way necessarily, but to have a plan or like, I find it so hard when adults ask me what I do, and like often when I answer, it's followed by it but like, what about after? Yeah, what's that? Like it's just a stepping stone, which it probably is in some ways, but yeah, the future is scary to think about.
Speaker 1: I think marketing has changed all around, and I think no matter what I know, everyone loves the conversation of what about when social media goes away?
Speaker 2: Away?
Speaker 1: It's not going away. No, it's not going to go away. It's not even if it went away in the sense of what we have it as now, it's not gonna We're always gonna We know how to communicate online now, we know how to express ourselves online. We know how to express ourselves to millions of people and communicate with millions of people. We're not going to go from that level of communication to completely It's never gonna be. Oh, it's just us communicating with the local people in our town again, it's not going to go back to that. We have yea, we have cell phones, we have the Internet, Like the Pindor's box has been opened. So even if it's not Instagram or TikTok or whatever. There is always going to be a level of social media.
Speaker 2: The thing is, like social media is a medium. Yeah, so it's not the end all be all. Yeah, and you're right that like apps and platforms will probably cycle, but it is. It's rat like it's like the same as writing, Like writing's not going away tomorrow, you know exactly. So yeah, it's really about what you do with it and what you build on there that matters more so than like the platforms.
Speaker 1: I don't like when people try to squash influencers and they say, especially girls, when they say, like what's coming after, Well, social media won't be around forever. It's like, I know she has something that's hers, that she's successful a lot, that she's turned into a business. Let her have that. What Like, don't if somebody writes a book, you don't go, well, what about after? What about when this book goes away? You're just going to do nothing. It's like, let me enjoy what I've built for myself. And I feel like it's also a space where women really thrive and women make the most money. So that's why it bothers me because I feel like it's just an excuse to discount that what is something that matters way less in your twenties than you thought it would.
Speaker 2: I think I've been maybe this is like where I'm at in my life right now, but like your love life, m M, I think I always. I don't know, I always. You know, you think of like your twenties as your time to like your twenties your time to date around and like have fun and stuff. Yeah, I think there's like a lot of emphasis on that, and sometimes or you feel like a pressure, like oh, I should have had a boyfriend by now, or I should have all these experiences under my belt.
Speaker 1: I thought i'd be engaged when I left college.
Speaker 2: But okay, I thought I would have met like the love of my life by now or all these things. So I think that's something I'm kind of realizing right now that it.
Speaker 1: Would be the worst thing that ever happened to you. I promise you you don't want to be even close to that.
Speaker 2: At this age exactly. So that's maybe like something that I think is a bit surprising, because like graduating high school, for example, I was away like way in my twenties, like I'll have a nice boyfriend and like all that. But yeah, I think changing kind of my my view on that where I'm seeing my twenties more so is a time to really like develop strong female friendships and friendship period, travel, experience things on my own and not like in this, not in a relationship where you like have to be compromising and stuff, which like I'll get there one day obviously, But yeah, I think that's been my biggest surprise, and it's like a good one. I'm in a moment right now of really enjoying that, like enjoying not having it be such a also focus something that I'm thinking about all the time, or like working towards Oh my gosh, it's really liberating.
Speaker 1: I deeply regret having a boyfriend for so much of my twenties. I was in a really long relationship six years, and it was such a mistake. No offense to him, he's so sweet, but no, I know it was such a huge mistake. There was I could have been figuring out my career. I could have been figuring, I could have been moving, I could have been traveling, I could have been doing so so, so so many things, and instead.
Speaker 2: I was like sitting on the couch watching TV with him and liked, the thing is like, you don't even realize it, but so much of your energy goes into that, so much of your energy, and it's a lot of like mental they take up so much mental space. And at this stage and you're like in your twenties, I think you should be reserving that for your own projects and like figuring out who you are on your own.
Speaker 1: I gained like fifty pounds in that relationship. I was one hundred and seventy five pounds, and it was because I was so it was the biggest I've ever been in my entire life. It wasn't even natural to like my body, like I could eat the same way now and I wouldn't look like that because I was. And I did not enjoy it, and I was so anxious, and I felt like what am I doing with my life? I don't think I want to marry this person. I don't know what I want to do with my career. Like I'm spending so much time with him, like all we do is just like hang out, and we just sit around and hang out and hang out, and the hangouts and never end. And I just was like, what is the point of this? And now looking back, I still am filled with the same feeling of just like, why did I waste all of those years? I just thought I had to have a boyfriend because I was twenty four. I just thought you had to.
Speaker 2: But you definitely learned a lot about yourself through that. Yeah, that's like the silver lining. Yeah, I think I'm such an intense person and so in relationships, like for me, it's.
Speaker 1: Just all consuming. It's really the exact same way.
Speaker 2: I'm the exact same way, and I just don't feel like that's a priority for me right now.
Speaker 1: And good for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's taken me a minute to get here, but.
Speaker 1: I advocate for that so much and I feel like it's the cheesiest thing in the world. But now that I'm older, I've realized that the more you know yourself and the more you know what you struggle with, what you're good at, all of those things, you're a.
Speaker 2: Way better partner, way way way Wait, I mean, how can you be like an incredible partner when you don't know yourself? Yeah, then you end up like molding into what that person needs. So yeah, that's probably my biggest surprise in my twenties that I'm actually like wanting to be writing solo.
Speaker 1: Love that freely is there anything that matters more than you expected.
Speaker 2: I am very family oriented, but I obviously travel so much and don't spend that much time at home anymore. But I'm like, it surprised me how much I'm like, wait, actually I need to make this a priority and like missing my parents all the time and stuff like that. And I don't know, I always imagine, like you hit your twenties and like you're ready to leave the home and be away. Maybe that's like been a bit surprising, not because I obviously love my parents, my sister and everything, but how much harder it is than in theory to like leave the home even though it's what I want to be doing. Maybe that's like something a bit surprising.
Speaker 1: That's sweet, and I feel like that's an important priority.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took me a long time to realize. It's like, oh, your parents aren't around.
Speaker 2: Forever truly, And actually, I think one of my biggest realizations last year. And I was talking about this with my mom because I was reading Rachel Cusk's A Second Place and she writes a lot about like motherhood and relationships with like mother daughter relationships and stuff like that. And in the book, it's fictional, but they talk about how when your children become adults, it's no longer like a mother daughter relationship in the same way. You're more like equals and you have to reade find the relationship everything. And my mom and I went on a trip this summer where we were talking a lot about how we're like getting to know each other all over again, because I'm not just like a little kay. Yeah, So I think that's what I'm finding cool about my twenties right now, is getting to know my parents in a different way. And of course they're always going to be my parents, but I don't know, it's nice to be able to talk about things I would never have thought I would ever talk about with my mom. When I was in high school. I was always such a reserved kid, like, didn't really share much with my parents about anything, And now like my mom is who I call like after anything happens. So that's a really really lovely surprise. Actually, oh my god, that's so cute. I love that and very true.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I feel like that relationship with your mom is like, is very important and very important as you get older the most.
Speaker 2: And I've always was kind of scared because I would see. Some of my friends have amazing relationships with their mom, like starting very young, sharing everything, and I was always like, I just found it so hard to do that.
Speaker 1: And I feel like there's always a chance, Like there's always an opportunity, Like you said, as I'm older, it's a completely different thing. So maybe it wasn't the best when you were five, Maybe it wasn't the best when you were ten, Maybe it wasn't the best when you were fifteen. That doesn't mean it can't be the best when you're.
Speaker 2: Twenty five, exactly.
Speaker 1: There's like a time for it, you know. Yeah, and it changes and.
Speaker 2: Evolves you grow up and then you realize, wait, actually this is a really spy.
Speaker 1: There were so many things that were like hills I was willing to die on, and things with my parents that I was willing to fight over or stand by or whatever. Now that I'm older, I'm like, it's not important. It's really not important.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just changes. That's really good. That's great advice for younger girls, especially anybody listening, like maybe that's a teenager or and they're very very early twenties, is that there's still time and that that relationship changes.
Speaker 2: It's always changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is something you would say to someone in their twenties who feels like everyone has it figured out except for them?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I have this conversation all the time with my sister. She's twenty one turning twenty two, okay, and there's just so much pressure. And I think too, with social media, you always feel like you're seeing LinkedIn. LinkedIn is like the devil for like young people. I think, oh, I'm not the devil, sorry, but like it's just it's so anxiety and TikTok.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wait, this girl's twenty four and she owns her own apartment. How does she own her apartment. I'm in my thirties, I've own an apartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like social media has just I think exacerbated that anxiety related to having to be successful like so young is know what you want so young and expecting everything to happen so quickly, which is just not the case for like the majority of people. But it's hard to when you go online and that's all you see. So I think I always tell my sister, like, remember the people who are around you and like what they're doing and get excited about the fact that there are so many possibilities, Like the opportunities and the possibilities are endless. You're so young, you still have time to try so many things. My biggest thing, too, is pick up a hobby, and I think that's something that a lot of people struggle to find or to do because you get home from school or from work and all you want to do is just lay in bed on your phone because it's like easy and it feels good for a little bit, you know. Yeah. I just feel like people don't have as many hobbies anymore, and that I include myself in that. Like a big goal for me this year is to pick up hobbies. So I'm like taking piano lessons, and even then I'm like I don't. Sometimes I wake up and I'm like I don't want to go to a piano But I'm like, no, Like I have to be doing this, And I think through that you'll you'll figure out what you like. You'll figure out.
Speaker 1: I have a pottery class, like a four week pottery class starting in a couple of weeks at my friend, one of my best friends, like pushed me to do because I was saying the same thing. I was like, I need a hobby. I don't play sports, I don't like I go to the gym or and I do yoga, and I consider yoga to be one of my hobbies. I love it and it fulfills me. But I'm like, it's only an hour, and then I just like, I don't necessarily feel like I'm learning anything at this point. I'm kind of just like stretching and thinking about the same thoughts that I'm always thinking. I'm like, I need something new, and so We're going to do pottery, and I'm so excited about it, and I'm like, what happened when people used to do things?
Speaker 2: Honestly?
Speaker 1: When did that end?
Speaker 2: I just because I don't know. I hang out with my sister and then I have like her friend group, and I'm around like younger people a lot, and I hear it all the time. It's like I don't know what I like and I don't know what I feel the same, and it's like, but you're not trying anything, yeah, and yeah, of course there's some people that they try something and it works right away, but most people actually don't. Like I think of our parents too. My dad had like a bunch of jobs, quit a bunch of stuff before he found what he likes to do. You know, so you can't get defeated too easily. But it's better to be doing something than.
Speaker 1: And I think everybody needs to be writing. I used to write so much when I was younger and now because nobody me sound old. But then with the Internet, I'm like, I don't physically write down anything. I'll start writing a couple paragraphs and get a handcramp. But I'm like, I used to write pages and pages and pages. I can't even write a few paragraphs now, and it's because you're just not People don't physically write anything anymore. And so I'm like journaling just like writing things. I'm like, just physically write stuff to just like a get it out of your head and be turn that into a hobby. Turn just writing things down into a hobby, even if it's like writing what you see, because I'm like, you need to physically be writing things.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. I'm like such a what is it proponent for writing? For journaling? Honestly, I feel like the most introspection I've done, the most growth I've done has been through writing in my journal and like facing my thoughts and stuff I completely completely agree. I'm like, no, and I think in my friend group for gifting people journals.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a really sweet gift. That's when my best friend got me for my birthday and I chaerishit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everyone should have one, and I completely agree that that will help you figure out what you like and get to know yourself better.
Speaker 1: Or like too attached to other people. It's freaking me out. It's just freaking me out. It's really like a weight in my life right now, is God. It's just like I don't even know how to think for myself and everyone no one's thinking for themselves. What has mattered for you more career wise consistency, instinct or your creativity?
Speaker 2: Definitely my creativity. Wait, what do you mean by instinct.
Speaker 1: Like just following what you think is right, following your gut or just going for it and just being consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely like instinct in creativity. I think starting on YouTube too, I've always been more of a like how do you say slow media long form girl, which consistency wise makes it a little bit harder because it takes more time. But I've always I always prioritize putting out things. I feel proud of and happy about over consistency.
Speaker 1: And I know that's good advice because I don't think that's necessarily what a lot of people do, especially these days it's more more and more and more and more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I do feel bad sometimes when I'm not consistent, though it's kind of part of the game. It's like, you know, yeah, But honestly, I just it's like against everything I stand for to put something out that I don't feel like I've done right. And I am. I am a perfectionist. I'm trying to be less of one because I do think it stands in my own way, but especially with my videos, because I edit and it's like my style of editing and everything. It takes time and for me, yeah, it's like a little short, little movie vibe. I don't know. I want to feel really good about it when I put it out. Yeah, No, always quality over quantity.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like being creative for a living and turning it into a job has made you more or less connected to your creativity?
Speaker 2: It actually took me so long to monetize my platforms, partially because I was in school and so it wasn't a priority, and for me, it was like kind of a fun side hustle. Even the past couple of years where like I got an agent and started doing more paid stuff. I've been in school, so it's always I've always viewed it as like something fun, kind of my hobby. Only recently I see it really as a career because it's like taking up more of my time. Wait, what was the question?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like being creative for a living has made you more or less connected to your creativity?
Speaker 2: I think I lead my creativity even when we work with brands and briefs and stuff. It's so important that I'm able to keep my creative freedom and like my being able to have a concept that aligns with I don't know my aesthetic and my what people will what I know people will enjoy. Yeah, I think my goal going into any paid thing is hopefully it's not it's something that if you're watching you're like, oh, yeah, this makes sense, Like I would watch this even if it wasn't or I would make this even if it wasn't sponsored kind of thing.
Speaker 1: What's something creatively you haven't done yet that you're craving to do.
Speaker 2: I feel like this year I'm working on quite a few things that are like new and exciting. For example, I'm designing my first collab collection that's incredible, super fun, and that's such a dream come true.
Speaker 1: It really loves that.
Speaker 2: Really is yeah, and it's coming out.
Speaker 1: I say, if I know your dreams, but it's like it's very influencer's dream come true is to like get to actually create something and not just constantly be pushing someone else's stuff exactly put yourself into.
Speaker 2: It, and also just to explore that side of the or of the fashion industry and kind of see how it works. Is it's been so fun and being able to design pieces and oh, I can't wait to see it. Yeah, it's super fun and colorful and bury me. So that's been such so incredible. And then thinking of things I haven't done yet, I think leaning more into writing and like substock personal essays, which I've never written before, but I think I'm like that's the next step for me to kind of play around with that.
Speaker 1: It's really fun. It's really really fun. It's it can be daunting, but it's it's really fun and I feel like it. Like I said, the people are just so receptive to it that I don't think you could have like a more beautiful place to do it. Like people are just so positive on there. I really love it. Yeah, what advice would you give to girls who feel creative but don't know where to start exploring their creativity. I'm one of those people. I'm so not a creative and it is like the biggest hindrance in my life is that I'm just not creative. My mom is the most creative creative, not at all. My mom is the most creative human I've ever met. My sister, Like, you could hand them anything and they would turn it into like a beautiful project. I would like stack it straight up into a line and be like it's a perfectly straight line. Look at this. That's how my brain is.
Speaker 2: But I actually see creativity kind of differently. I think where I think everyone's creative and that creating isn't necessarily like being good at drawing, Like being creative isn't necessarily being good in the arts. It's like you could be super smart in maths and like coming up with formulas, and that's being creative, you know, because you're creating something. So I think a lot of people convince themselves that they're not creative and that stands in their way because it's like, oh, but I'm not built for this. And I think growing up I did that a lot where I was like, I'm good at science and i'm good at math, but I'm not good at drawing. I'm not good at painting, so I'm not creative. Like that's just not for me. The arts aren't for me. And then I went to school and I studied environmental science, which I really did.
Speaker 1: Enjoy, but it was so my sister studied really.
Speaker 2: Yeah awesome, like it's a great, great program, but I wasn't passionate. And then I took one English course where we had to write, and my teacher was like, you should pursue this more and I was like, Okay, that's the push I needed to then eventually study English in college. And all to say that, I think there is this like conception of creativity that you know, associates it with a very specific type type of creation. Yeah, yeah, I think all of us are creative in our own ways. And again it goes back to just trying stuff, like you know, maybe it's picking up an instrument, or maybe it is drawing, or it's writing or even like event planning. I don't know, like it can be anything anything, and maybe you're really good with like organization and logistics and that kind of thing, well, then lean into it. When I say event planning, that's kind of what comes to mind, like more logistical, that's still creative. Yeah, So like don't limit yourself and also do it for yourself. I think there's a lot of like feeling like you have to create stuff and then share it with the world. But I think when you're not really sure what you like doing, like, don't put that pressure on yourself. I think a lot of the creating I did, like before being on social media and stuff, was like in my room, in my journal, ugly stuff. I would I've created a lot of bad stuff before I could create things that I liked. You know.
Speaker 1: I like that advice because I do feel like everything we do feels like it's supposed to be consumed and it's supposed to be shared, and like nothing I feel like nothing I do is private. Nothing I do do I keep to myself. So that's really good advice of just like create something. Maybe it'll bring the fund back into creativity. I see being creative as like a stressor the idea of going to an art class and like to stress me even my pottery class. I'm like, what am I gonna make? Oh my god, Oh my god. It's like stressing me out because I'm like, I'm gonna make a mug and then I'm gonna go back the next week. I'm gonna make another mug. But I don't know I know how to make a mug or bowl. And it's like the idea of being creative stresses me out. So I guess like it doesn't have to be for anybody but yourself is very good advice, and maybe don't go into it to give it to somebody else to consume. Yeah, has your relationship with fashion changes you've gotten older and grown more into yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, definitely. I mean I definitely had a moment. I think, especially with the rise of TikTok, like trends became so much more or intense. I don't know, it was like fast, how do you say? There was a trend one week and then the next it was oh yeah, like turnover, fast turnover. So I definitely bought into that for a bit and then realized, Okay, this is like really not for me.
Speaker 1: It's like a giant manipulation. Now they're just like manipulating us into buying stuff by like making malgorithm push more clothes, and it's like they're tricking us.
Speaker 2: No. I like, look back at photos from that period of my life, I'm like, that was just not me at all. But so I've definitely had phases like that, and I think post Exchange, post living in Denmark, I learned a lot about the concept of personal style and what it means to just like dress for yourself. Now I'm going to get a place where I like a mix of comfort, like classic with a little pop. I'd say, like that's my style, like a little pop of color or like a fun accessory. But I really dress for myself and I just wear what I feel confident in, like to if I have a shirt or something that doesn't fit in a way that I like, it's gone. I don't try to make anything work that doesn't feel good on my body. I think that's the.
Speaker 1: Main Another piece of great advice. Wow, you're the advice queen. You're just killing that is another great piece of advice. Don't try to force it, just get rid of it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I for I'm kind of a hoarder, Like I'm very attached to things that I like, but like things that are so random, Like I have literally three but this is a good thing, But I have like three boxes in my closet of cards.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm a card sall sentimental.
Speaker 2: But as we should. Yeah, but yeah, I find it really hard to like go of clothing. And my mom too, is like, don't get rid of anything because like, you never know, in ten years you might love it again. But for me, especially with like trying to fit into clothing that I used to wear, that was like, yeah, very triggering. So I'm like, if it doesn't fit, it's gone. It's gone.
Speaker 1: I've been doing that. Any jeans, I'm like, I don't even care if they're three hundred and fifty oarsar jeanes. I'm like, you know what, if you don't fit me, you're gone, because all I'm gonna do is obsessed about the fact that I can't button these anymore. And you've gotta go, Yeah, gotta go. Exactly what did the next five years look like for you creatively and for your career?
Speaker 2: This is actually such a hard question.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to hear. I'm curious what you want the next five years.
Speaker 2: Real quick, I think, being I still consider myself in my post grad era, even though I graduated almost a year ago.
Speaker 1: Now I'm in my thirties on post grad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm no literally. So the next step for me is leaving my home town. I still live at home with my family, so it's like I do feel a little bit stagnant in that way because I go home and I just feel like I'm at the same place I was five years ago.
Speaker 1: That's my biggest Any friends that I have that still live in our hometown, I'm like, are you need to go? We are too old for this, Like you need to get out, You're at the perfect age, Like this is the time to go.
Speaker 2: It's how I feel, and I think most of my friends feel the same way. So we're all like leaving. So when I go home, it does feel a little bit empty anyways. But in order for me to even imagine what five years or what my life will look like in five years, I feel like I just need to be living somewhere else. So that's the first step.
Speaker 1: I'm do you know where you want to go?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I'm moving to London.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh, that's going to be so amazing. That's a yeah. God, that's so brave. That is brave. Yeah, I in the best way.
Speaker 2: I've lived in Copenagen a couple of times throughout the years and loved it. I really like being in Europe where it's like you're close to everything, and I like, I don't know, I feel like people are just cool and so many internationals stuff like that. I did consider in New York for a second too. I don't know, I just felt called to the city and I haven't spent that much time there, but I think I will really enjoy it. And there's such a huge creative yes space, so much.
Speaker 1: Great culture and music and oh my gosh, that's going to be fantastic fashion. Yeah, I am so jealous.
Speaker 2: So I'm hoping that, Like I've always.
Speaker 1: Wanted to do it, but I haven't had the balls you should always wanted to. And then I'm like, but the idea of just like being in a different country than my parents freaks.
Speaker 2: Me out, or like my family freaks me out. You know, yeah, you know, you just try. Yeah. I think everyone needs to do that at least once, like live quite far from home.
Speaker 1: I love London and I love punk rock music, so I really sold that as like a dream of mine. I'm very glad that you're doing that. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I also think that in London, like, I'm very into the editorial world. I love magazines obviously, love of books, and like writing and I'm really I think that being in that environment and around all of these publications and stuff, hopefully getting my foot in the door somewhere will help me figure out what I want to do. But I wouldn't be surprised if five years on the road I'm working in that industry.
Speaker 1: Oh you have such an editorial vibe. I could see it. Yes, you're so chic.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And I feel like the things you were saying, like you're very reserved, you're very private, you're very calm, you're very well rounded, you're very self assured. These are important things in editorial. Okay, I think I would be a nightmare and editorial I just like am loud and yappy, and I talk so much. I wouldn't thrive. I feel like you are concise and reserved and intelligent, and I feel like those you would really thrive in that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's the world I see it for you. Okay, I love this. So in five years you'll be living in London working at a magazine, British Folk. You'll be working at British Folgue. I love this for you. Love What kind of projects are you trying to attract next?
Speaker 2: Definitely in line with what we just spoke about, more writing opportunities, whether that's like contributing to a magazine or even just starting out with writing my own personal essays and stuff like that, like learning how to write more editorial style because I'm used to more academic papers and like, yeah, it's a very vulnerable thing to write in that way. But yeah, any type of writing project I think is like my ultimate dream for to do a book. I would. I would, Yeah, I would. I could see that like fiction. Oh I wouldn't write it about myself. I don't think, like not like a memoial, you know, that's I'm like, I'm twenty three, you know, let's chill. But yeah, I would, just I think it would be really fun. I think my dream too would be to like write come up with like a really cool story. Definitely something coming of age related or like coming of self as they say, because I'm so into that genre and then and you.
Speaker 1: Have such great advice, Like I feel like it would be great, Like you have such a You're only twenty three, but I feel like the way you look at it is so reflective that I feel like even now, like you could write something about that and girls would learn something from it and take.
Speaker 2: Something to thank you. Yeah, Like it would be so cool to write a cool story and then also think about adapting it to into a screenplay or something, or for a film. That is, if I'm thinking like ten year plan, you know.
Speaker 1: Would you write it under your name or would you want it to be people not know this? That's actually a great Oh, that's actually I have always wanted to write a series of fiction books and not put my name on it Lemony Snaket style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I haven't thought about that.
Speaker 1: I there's pros and cons that.
Speaker 2: I know there are. I'm not I wouldn't be opposed to it, honestly, because then I feel like you can really write whatever, not really think too deeply. I think too, if you write under your own name, people sometimes assume that you're talking about people. That is my one thing, Yeah, wanting to protect people from that. But I don't know. I also think it's like good to own it, own what you're doing, not try to like especially for me, who I Yeah, I'm more shy in some ways when it comes to that stuff, and like I said, a bit reserved with my personal life. But I think it's a good exercise maybe to be like, actually I wrote this, and like be proud of it.
Speaker 1: I just want to like shock people. I want to be like, there's books that you love. This dumb girl that you hated on the internet wrote these books. That's like my dream. What is the best career advice you have lived? Not just heard?
Speaker 2: Relationships are really the most important thing in any industry whatever you do, which we obviously know, but you could be like the best at your job, but if you don't have good relationships, I don't know if that's like I think longevity comes from, like really agree completely, yeah, having good relationships with the people you work with and treating everyone obviously with respect and stuff. So that's been something I've really observed, especially in this industry, where like, yeah, I feel very lucky for like the relationships I have and grateful and that's something that will never take for granted.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have There have been many instances where I have accomplished something or gotten something, and it's because other people have taken for granted how important strong relationships are, and they're like naive about relationships, and they're naive about even just events. I'm like, this isn't really something for you to have fun, have fun, but this is networking. Like, these relationships matter, and I feel like a lot of people can be very naive as to how important the relationships are. And then that person. You just never know where somebody's going to go. You never know where somebody's going to end up, You never know when somebody may think of you, when you might be top of mind. It really is important, and I feel like that's really great advice, especially for girlies that are listening, is like, take these relationships very seriously. Yeah, And if you want to be in social media, build your relationships. Build your network. That will do more for you than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And even outside of social media, when I think of like, I don't know, if you struggle at school a little bit, like grades are something that you that are hard. Relationships, I trust me relationships will make up for that. If you're personable and you're someone that people enjoy having around, like, don't underestimate that it is like such a superpower.
Speaker 1: I think I agree. I love that advice. Okay, if you could leave girls in their twenties with one mind set shift, what would it be? You can wave a magic wand and everyone, all the girlies listening to young girls can have a shift in their mindset. What would you want them to shift it to?
Speaker 2: What comes to my mind is something that I feel like I struggle with a lot, and that's like spending so much time looking at myself in the mirror and wishing things were different, things looked different. I think that's something I struggle with a lot, and especially with social media, where it's like everything's always captured. There's always a photo of where I've been and what I've been doing, and that's ghost I think for honestly everyone, because even my friends who aren't like influencers or whatever, it's the same. And yes, we spend just so much time looking at ourselves, so much more than I mean, our parents did. So I think if I could have, like everyone, like a huge mindset shift, it would be to spend less time looking at ourselves and more time just like enjoying our healthy young bodies. It's like something my mom would say, but actually, like, yeah, just doing less of that, being less focused on appearance, I guess, which is really hard.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, we'd all be so much happier.
Speaker 1: Twelve out of ten Advice I love that. Okay, I make everybody speak something into existence. Speak something into existence. It can be career, it can be life. It could even be that you have a great time in London. Whatever you want, just speak something into existence here on the podcast. You will this.
Speaker 2: I will be present throughout the rest of the year and like make sure to spend Yeah, to just wake up and focus on today is something I'm really working hard on doing and not anticipating things all the time. So yeah, I'm going to be better at being present. Maybe that's speaking to existence. That's a good one.
Speaker 1: No, that's a great one. And I'm speaking into existence that you are going to thrive in London and you are not going to be homesick even once, and you are just going to kill it and you're going to explore and see the world. Which this is going to happen. This isn't even like I have, but I am excited for you, and I love seeing people like go out into the world and travel and leave their hometowns and all that. I think that's so beautiful. So I'm so excited for you. Okay, last question, who do you think is the ultimate Girl? And why does she Inspare you.
Speaker 2: Actually I have? You know? Yeah? Tell me? Yeah, ultimate a girl like north Star cool, cool, cool, She's just so smart, honestly the coolest. She's writing a memoir right now. She's I don't know, she lives in London or Paris. I'm not really sure, but she's just she's probably back and forth, yeah, back and forth, like she always has something to say and is like something good to say, you know, she adds to so many conversations. And yeah, she's just the coolest, the coolest, and she's incredible style. Yeah that's my ultimate A girl.
Speaker 1: Fabulous answer. I love that answer. Do you want to shout out your socials real quick? Where can we find you everywhere?
Speaker 2: I'm Ava medus Eva with any.
Speaker 1: God, I'm so jealous you have the same thing everywhere. I didn't get my user names. Oh no, I've to hit my stupid middle initial. I'm at Bailey t Taylor and we are at It Girl the series. Thank you so much for joining us. This was so great. You have such great advice. You are so well rounded and well spoken. I loved having you and stay tuned next week for another It Girl Girl