Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Scott Patterson Pop Culture season five, episode twelve, Come Home, and this is iHeartRadio in conjunction with One eleven Productions. I'm joined by my intrepid crew, Tarasood, Danielle Romo, Amy Sugarman, who needs a quick trip to the water closet if I keeping her here because we value her opinion so much. Laurel ized trying to go to bed early like Luke does, and is wondering why he doesn't have a TV in his bedroom. Luke watching TV in beds screws up your rem sleep, Lareal. I but Charlie Rose On Stewart, Pink Lady, and Jeff. Charlie Rose worked on CBS News from nineteen eighty four to nineteen ninety is the anchor of the CBS News Night Watch, the network's first late night news broadcast. John Stewart hosted the Daily Show from ninety nine to fifteen. Gosh, he did sixteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a long time. I didn't realize he was on there for so long.
Speaker 1: And then he grew a beard for a couple of years, and it aired on Comedy Central at eleven PM. Imagine getting those ratings at eleven PM for sixteen years. Pink Lady is a Vario show that aired for five weeks on NBC in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Starring I'd never heard of it, nor have I. That was one I was like, I've never heard of this.
Speaker 1: No No, the Japanese musical duo of the same name, and Jeff Altman. The series did poorly Shocker and was canceled after five episodes. The series rank number thirty five on TV Guides the fifty worst TV shows of all.
Speaker 4: It's got an honor for something like, if you're not it's better to be the worst than just forgotten.
Speaker 1: Hm uh list a laurale I is naming late night TV shows she would like to fall asleep two same scene, laurel I, does somebody want to know?
Speaker 2: You could do one more? Then I'll go thank you?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Laura and Luke discussing why Luke doesn't have a TV in his bedroom. Laurale Or mel Brooks is on and he's so funny, and you think, what a wonderful world we live in, And there's is a mel Brooks to go to sleep too. Luke mel Brooks is never on Charlie Rose. Mel Brooks is a legendary TV actor, director, and writer spanning over seven decades, and probably the best thing you ever did in his life was Marianne Bancroft.
Speaker 4: I was going to say spaceballs, but that's okay.
Speaker 5: We could.
Speaker 1: We could have done without that one.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 1: Okay. Maybe lolauralis referring to mel Brooks being on Charlie Rose, but Luke's mention is wrong. Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner appeared on tra Wow in nineteen.
Speaker 2: Do you think they intentionally got it wrong?
Speaker 4: Or do they want Luke to make a mistake and they you know, that's kind of interesting. Do you see what I'm saying? Like they messed it up, But maybe it was intentional because that.
Speaker 2: Would be a quick Google. I mean, you had Google in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Let's let's get the Luco on the show, ask.
Speaker 2: Lane.
Speaker 4: Brian and Zach are looking at photos of the band. Lane does not like the way she looks.
Speaker 2: I look like the.
Speaker 4: Korean Buddy Holly. We're not Maroon five or the g Whiz Slicky Boys. First of all, the Maroon five tickled me because it was actually kind of on point. Buddy Holly is a legendary musician who pioneered rock and roll in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 2: He had short black hair and square glasses.
Speaker 4: Did Buddy Holly die in the plane with with La Bamba?
Speaker 1: Uh, Richie Falls.
Speaker 2: Richie Vallens and the Big Bopper? I think, so, oh wow, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 4: I wanted to say Lou Diamond Phillips, which is just such a very strange way of blurred things. I don't think he was played Richie Vallins, and so I just saw Lou Diamond Phillips. Maroon five is a pop band with its lead singer Adam Levine. The Slicky Boys were a punk rock band. The group is named after a g I slang term for the rockabilly inspired Korean street tufts who sold black market goods to American soldiers. Lene is comparing herself to body Holly because they both wear glasses.
Speaker 2: Now, I did think it.
Speaker 4: Was funny this sort of it was a little bit of a dig on Maroon five.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit. It was funny, who's up.
Speaker 1: In sweating while Paris is fanning him with paper? You gotta jump in or I'll jump in after he met Logan, Dad, Mitchem Huntsburger Doyle, and he's going to New York to throw some party for Seymour Hirsh on Friday Night. Rory, seymour Hurst The New Yorker, Seymour Hirst, Wow Doyle. The man owns thirteen newspapers. He's my best contact in the business. I feel like a house of cards. I made a joke about Abu Garabe. God that was inappropriate. Seymour Hirsch is an award winning political writer for The New Yorker. He has covered Watergate, Operation Menu, and in two thousand and four, he detailed the US military's torture and abuse of prisoners at Abu Garabe in Iraq. Doyle is upset because he made an insensitive joke about one of the reports. Seymour Hirsch wrote.
Speaker 2: More, seymour Hurst, you keep.
Speaker 1: Going Rory at the pub with Logan. Seymore Hirsch is mentioned again because Logan's dad is throwing a party for him in New York City. Rory, how can meet seymour Hirsh be boring? I love him. I read me Lie four and I was twelve, and I'd been obsessed with him ever since.
Speaker 4: I had never heard of Seymour Hirsch before this.
Speaker 1: Really, maybe I'm an idiot.
Speaker 2: I'm just so I hadn't I heard an ether?
Speaker 1: Uh? Okay. Seymour reported and uncovered the Meli massacre during the Vietnam War for The New Yorker and wrote My Sorry Meli four about his reports. In nineteen seventy, he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting about his work on the me LII massacre. Rory is so impressed with Seymour Hirsch and was hoping her excitement would get her invited to the party Logan's dad is throwing, and she was denied.
Speaker 2: The next week.
Speaker 4: Patrick Swayze one, should we just skip it out of the okay?
Speaker 1: No, I'm going to read this, okay? Uh Suki and Laurlai joking with Michelle about the rooms being messed up by a ghost Lorelei or Patrick Swayze Suki in search of his lost career.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I do not like it all right.
Speaker 1: Patrick Swayze was one of the most outstanding human beings I have ever met, one of the most gracious gentlemen's gentlemen's gentlemen I have ever been lucky enough to spend time with a beautiful, beautiful guy who just radiated love, goodness, peace. That guy was at peace and if his soul was raging, you couldn't tell. But man still waters run deep, and that was a deep, deep guy and he had a depth of love for everybody.
Speaker 2: So I carried a watermelon.
Speaker 1: I mean, just wonderful guy, wonderful actor, and to watch him act, to watch him do his thing in front of the camera, and he was a method actor. He stayed in character the whole time, and it was just brilliant to watch, so so dedicated to the craft.
Speaker 4: So you've seen Dirty Dancing, right, Oh, sure, it's the best. He's so like Dirty Dancing and Ghost and we're not even mentioning Roadhouse or two Long Food with Julie newmart Well. I forget the exact title.
Speaker 1: Like Padrin, you know, the thing about him is his focus was so intense. He knew how to relax but remained really concentrated at the same time. He was just he was just brilliant to watch. I was so lucky to get to spend three months with that guy, just watching him from that.
Speaker 4: You know, gosh, I had watched Dirty dancing. Oh oh god, I mean you are lucky, Scott, you are.
Speaker 1: I really got lucky with that job, you know, I really really It was just like a masterclass and how to be in front of a camera. And I got to watch him and Mary Elizabeth master Antonio just both air masters in front of a camera, just brilliant. Sukin and Loralai are playing into the joke with Michelle that there is a ghost in the end and using the film as a reference.
Speaker 6: Rory and Logan flirting and chatting at the pub, and Rory says, I can't believe you've never seen The Office. The Office is a TV comedy starring Steve Carrell, but at the time of this episode, Rory is referring to the original The Office from the UK starring Ricky Gervais. The original series aired in the UK from two thousand and one to two thousand and three. In The Office, starring Steve Carell, didn't air on NBC until March twenty fifth, two thousand and five, and this Gilmore Girls episode aired on February first, two thousand and five.
Speaker 4: That was a good war then, was an I didn't know there was another office.
Speaker 1: What the original one was? UK Vase is so yeah, Richie is well known.
Speaker 2: So funny.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Anyone this very moment.
Speaker 1: But how would anybody know? We're not in UK.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows, every one knows.
Speaker 4: So Tara, you're saying you were today years old when you learned there was another office.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I always just think of the Steve Carell and oh, oh my gosh, wow, have you Amy?
Speaker 1: Have you seen the episodes of the Ricky Grace.
Speaker 4: I see a little bits of both of them. I have a hard time getting into the office. I'm going to give it another try. But I've always known there was the other office. I knew when the Office came here that it was based on the office over there.
Speaker 3: I feel like, because there's just so many like moments and like memes and stuff from the current one. I just never even bothered to look into, Like, I don't know, I never seen anything about the original. Wow does it air on American TV?
Speaker 1: Well? Obviously, what was it? NBC? NBC, NBC's her PR departments at the BBC. So what are you gonna do? You got your ass whooped to go?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 2: T you go? You read this?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 3: Laurla catches Suki in a room at the inn, eating Tobla rones and watching TV. Suki says, a few weeks ago, I read in the paper that there was going to be an episode of Dark Shadows on the one where Barnaba Barnabac Barnabas.
Speaker 1: Barnars Collins Barnabas Collins.
Speaker 2: Barnabas is released from his tomb.
Speaker 3: And I used to love Dark Shadows, and I just suddenly really wanted to see it. Dark Shadows was a gothic soap opera that aired weekdays on ABC from nineteen sixty six to seventy one. The series became popular when vampire Barnabas Collins played by Jonathan fred was introduced ten months into its run. And Suki is naming old TV show she used to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the country was riveted on that.
Speaker 4: I think Johnny Depp did like a bad version of Dark Shadows like a movie.
Speaker 1: Dark Shadows was a hugely popular TV series.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna watch it because I think I've watched bits of the movie the Johnny Depp thing.
Speaker 1: All right, Gil rockin' out with the band is excited after they finished the song. Gil Oh, yeah, awesome, you guys roll? Do you know Indiguttadavidavida line is a song recorded by Iron Butterfly, written by band member Doug Ingle, and released on their nineteen sixty eight album of the same name. At slightly over seventeen minutes, it occupies the entire second side of the album. Gil is excited to be playing along with the album and asked to play another long song into Gottadavita was a large part of people of my generation's childhood. Let me tell you something. We all listen to it in basements, in houses and the guided to Vita man.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that pop culture.
Speaker 4: I'm only mad that I didn't when we did the other episode this week. Do toblones as my meter like the boring stick Man.
Speaker 1: And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is another rollicking episode of pop culture. We thank you for joining us, best fans on the planet. Thank you Amy, Thank you Danielle, Thank you to her for participating. It's so great to be back.
Speaker 4: You thanked us for however many years now, and I don't think you've ever thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't expect it. It's nice to hear it. This is probably two hundred and fifty. I finally gotta thank you that was my goal. That's it, ladies and gentlemen, is over. I just wanted to thank you on Live something I consider that in Miami. Thank you. I gotta thank you anyway. All the best and we will see you next time. And always remember we and I am all in all the best.
Speaker 5: Stay safe, hey.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all in podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com. Oh you Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T T y P dot com, scottyp dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee