Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Get in on the action with the Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. New customers who deposit five dollars or more can get a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars back in bonus bets. How cool of a deal is that. All you have to do is download the Draft King sports Book app now takes ninety seconds, and use the code colin cli n This is the best deal you're going to find. New customers. It's a no sweat bet up to one thousand dollars if your first bet loses. How cool is that only at Draftking sports Book code is Colin. The crown is yours?
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six NINEY. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gamb called eighty eight seventy nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort KS licensee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus age varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Se Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot com, slash Basketball, Terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, Terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody, Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. Yesterday was my birthday, so we got some exciting news to announce for y'all. We are going to do a jersey Giveaway'll sign the jersey, it will be yours. Head to the Volumes Twitter or my Twitter to check out what we would do or what you would need to do.
Speaker 4: In order to get involved in the giveaway.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is enter reply to the giveaway tweet with a picture of your subscription to our YouTube channel and podcast feed, and we will announce the winner on an upcoming episode, and maybe we'll give two giveaways. I'll figure something else out, but make sure y'all go lock in check that out, and let's get into today's episode. Dove's last game was an absolute annihilation by the Celtics and it was a very odd game. We lost by fifty two points. Last game of a four game road trip, which felt more like a six game road trip. It's just so many games crammed in a short amount of days with crazy travel, and then that game being at three point thirty kind of made it get up on you really fast in today, because all of a sudden, you know, you're up at eleven o'clock essentially getting ready to leave. Like you know, usually you're up, you're doing different things, whether that is a flow session or bike ride or you know, going to the gym to get shots up. You're kind of getting up and leaving for the game. So I saw its a little weird. But in saying that, the Celtics gave us a pretty bad loss. The talk of that loss was Jayleen Brown and how we guarded Jaylen Brown. And you know, people are really quick to talk about things like that when they don't work.
Speaker 4: But when you do things like that and they do work, you're a genius. You know. When you do something like that and.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work, it's like, oh man, why would such and such do that? Like, and I'll be honest with you, it's not that you know, you don't We didn't implement that defensive game plan because we thought Jaylen Brown can't make shots. You implement that defensive game plan because you feel like on the fourth game of a road trip with all the circumstances I just named you, with the travel from Toronto, which was I mean into Toronto, which was absolutely crazy, getting in at seven thirty in the morning.
Speaker 4: By the way, on the day of a game coming off.
Speaker 1: Of back to back that you don't always catch you the night of it, sometimes catch you a couple of days later, and not making any excuses because it's no reason to make an excuse. We lost the regular season game, and whether you lose about fifty or one, a loss is a loss. So I'm not so this is not to sit here and make some excuse. But in saying that, so you going to the game and you're like, all right, and any just so you all know, by the way, in any defensive game plan, you're choosing to give something up, like you have to. Teams are too good, individual guys are too good to completely take everything away. So you have to essentially choose what it is that you're willing to give up that's going to beat you. And when making that decision, you choose things that gives you the best opportunity to win. So if we give this up, we think we can survive that. And so in looking at the Celtics offense the way they've been playing all those things, you're like, all right, you know, if like let's give this a try. Not that Jalen Brown can't shoot the ball, because we all know Jalen Brown can make shots, but you almost go with the idea of, like he's going to take it up on himself to shoot more and more and more and more and take their offense out of rhythm. Take their offense oide of rhythm makes it a lot easier to beat them, you you know. And yes, you usually employ that game playing with like guys who aren't as good as shooters as Jayleen Brown. But in saying that, like I said, Jaylen Brown is a thirty four three point shooter going into the game, So you're not overly worried that Jaylen Brown's going to start hitting threes and start hitting threes.
Speaker 4: And he did.
Speaker 1: He made them, you know, And so guess what, you go into that game three and on the road trip, you got a free swing. You know, if you come out of that road trip and you're like three and one with that road trip that we had. You feel pretty good about yourself. So you're going with this free swing. You implement this game plan and it didn't work. All right, Cool, your free swing didn't work. You had a fight a change by throwing one knockout blow that didn't.
Speaker 4: Quite work out. We move on.
Speaker 1: But what I will say is that Celtics team is they're they're really good. Uh they're there, they are really good.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: It did feel like they were playing with like finals level intensity out there. Just their reds were absolutely incredible. The force that they were playing with. I thought it was very interesting. I definitely had a finals level intensity feel on the Celtics park.
Speaker 4: But in saying that, very good ball club.
Speaker 1: And they're going to be they well, we know they are the force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference.
Speaker 4: Yes, obviously you had a Milwaukee Bucks the Knicks.
Speaker 1: If the Knicks can get healthy, which is not looking very good, and I'm not sure it's going to get much better, not from the standpoint of health. But the Knicks is just a grinded out team. Timbs is a grind it out coach. You're going to have long practice, You're going to have long shoot arounds. Sometimes those things can catch up to you. So the Knicks are a grinded out team. Who knows where that goes. I know they got Mitchell Robinson out for the year, kind of probably expecting jew back over the next couple of weeks. I don't think there's much word on Jalen Bronson although, and watching that injury. By the way, and I'm no doctor, so you can take this with a grain of salt. But I am pretty in tune with my body. And because I am pretty in tune with my body, I can kind of identify some things that I may think. Again, I am not a doctor, and this is not the podcast of a doctor. Jalen brunson injury was super weird. I'll tell you what it looked like to me. You have a nerve right on the side of your knee, but right under I'm trying not to get into all these terms because you're gonna have some doctor come on here, like, ah, I'm a doctor and that's not the correct term. But anyway, your phibila head right, which is the bone that sticks out kind of right on the side of your knee, right around that, it's a bunch of nerves and what it looked like to me is he had a little impact with that nerve, which is why it looked like he jumped crazy. But it doesn't look like the hit was that hard, and so everybody's looking like, oh man, that's weird, like that's a contactless injury, the knee injury block and that's not quite what I think it is. And the reason I think that is because when you look at him try to get up and walk a couple times, his ankle starts to roll. And with his ankle rolling like that, that is probably that nerve being hit, and that nerve just not sending the signal to his foot to stay strong his ankle slash foot to stay strong and stay in the right position, which is why it looked like his ankle kept rolling.
Speaker 4: Out to the left.
Speaker 1: That's just my opinion as someone who's dealt with nerve a nerve issue before. When I missed that time in twenty twenty two, it's almost like a spark plug. If you have a spark plug out in your car, it's not sending the signal. Well, that spark plug essentially isn't sending the signal to his ankle, and so his ankle looks weak and you kind of can't make out what.
Speaker 4: The injury is.
Speaker 1: So it's going to be hard to get a timeline for that because nerves do what nerves do. And if you remember when I had the issue, it was like, all right, we'll re evaluate in two weeks.
Speaker 4: Oh you go see the doctor. All right, we'll reevaluate in two weeks.
Speaker 1: And all that's simply saying is you're giving the nerve a chance to heal. So anyway, I probably got a little bit off topic there, but that's all gonna depend you know, the Eastern Conference race. That has a lot to do with it because Jalen Brunson is an all Star player and the Knicks goes, Jaylen Brunson goes, and so that was kind of my take on that. But anyway, getting back to the Celtics, very very very great team. Happy birthday to my little bro JT. Day before mine, day of the Celtics games. JT's birthday yesterday it was my birthday. The happy birthday to him, and you gotta get those guys a lot of credit. Interesting how they're defending. They're not really putting Drew on the best defender there, I mean, the best offensive player. They're kind of using Drew as a roamer, kind of putting Drew where he can mess up teams offense, you know, and kind of use his smarts. And then obviously you always had an option to put Drew on the ball if that's not working. But it's looked like they've been taking more of that approach, not only against us, but if you watch them, it look like they've been taking the approach a lot. And you usually see that with more shot blockers. You know, you like the shot blockers to roam so they can come weeks to protect the rim and not have to worry about shooters. But with Drew's defensive presence and how smart he is, he can read different plays, has good enough size to where if he is the backside help he knows how to get up and you know, being always going to be in the right position disrupt the offense.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: That was interesting with the Celtics, and I think it is one hundred percent of title or bust year for the Celtics. You can't you don't you don't get to continue being in the position that the Celtics are in and just get the opportunity after the opportunity, especially with Jalen Brown's contract kicking in, then you're gonna have j Tea coming up getting that same level of contract pretty soon, which lessens your resources.
Speaker 4: So you gotta strike when the iron is hiding.
Speaker 1: So that's why I say championship or bus for the Celtics, not for any other reason other than that new cap, that new salary cap and that new tax apron and second apron and all those things. Paris where you'll start to see the effects of those things, and it'll be with the team like the Celtics that have a Jaylen Brown on a huge contract. JT's on a huge contract, and now it'll get bigger Drew who's going to be coming up Perzingis contract. It's a lot of contracts, so we'll see what happens there. But that is why I would say it's a bus title or bus season for the Celtics. And moving on across the way from the Celtics is a huge rival, and I mean ray across the way the Los Angeles Lakers, and they had some news this weekend with bron scoring forty thousand points so acrossing first player in NBA history to cross forty thousand points versus the Nuggets on Saturday. Interestingly enough, everyone's saying, like, oh man, that record is way out of reach. But if you look, not too far behind Kevin Durantz right around thirty two thousand points. And Kevin Durant loves playing basketball, and I'm not sure when he's ever going to stop playing basketball, because dude, just like that's what he lives for.
Speaker 4: He lives to play basketball.
Speaker 1: And so I personally think there is pressure on Lebron to keep playing and as long as he can and keep pushing that record further and further out, because you have a Kevin Durant who's in year seventeen, if I'm not mistaken, and like Lebron who's in year twenty one, Kevin may be still playing scoring at a very high level in year twenty one. And so I think Bron needs to push this record out far as he can. And let's face it, Brian probably has another two or three years left playing. I don't know that to be certain, could be more, could be less. I don't think any of us know that. But if he plays another two three years, he's going to average lease twenty points. So you could figure in probably another five thousand points, so that pushes into forty five thousand. You got kd at roughly call it thirty two thousand, so he need another thirteen thousand over give it take the next.
Speaker 4: Seven years probably is out of reach.
Speaker 1: That's a very tall task, but man, it just keeps getting more and more incredible.
Speaker 4: The things that you see Briny that what he's able to do.
Speaker 1: The way he took over games over the course of this weekend was absolutely or coming into the weekend and over the course of the weekend was absolutely incredible. The fact that he can still do that got a tip your hat to him. Kudos on forty thousand points. First person. Ever, there aren't many first in the NBA. You're talking about an incredible league that's had great players for years, dating back years. There aren't still many first that can be done. And it'll be the first to cross forty thousand point mark. Still always talk about him being a guy that people don't say, oh, man, Bronz a score, which is crazy to think and this man is the first person to score forty thousand points. But you tip your hat to them. And they couldn't pull that game out against the Nuggets, which kind of sucks. You know, when you had those types of knights like that, you want them to end and to win, just so I feel as good as you wanted to feel. Needless to say, the Denver Nuggets are real. I think they're unbeatable coming out of the All Star breaks. Is another team and one in which we're facing tomorrow. The Milwaukee Bucks are also unbeatable. They beat The clip was last night at home No Johannis Bobby Porters got off, Dame went off, and that team looked like they're rallying around Dot. Interestingly enough, you know all the chatter going into All Star break with Doc and JJ and Austin Rivers and Patrick Beverley, all of the talk, the feuding, it looked like that team is like rallying, starting to rally around Doc, which I think is very commendable.
Speaker 4: I think it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: I also think that's what you are, that's what you're looking for when you when you bring in a coach like Doc. You know, essentially the thought behind that is, all right, well, we had a younger, younger and head coaching, Adrian Griffin. We need to someone that can get the locker room, and you know, that's what a lot of people are saying that Adrian Griffin no longer had the locker room.
Speaker 4: And if you don't have the locker room, you can't win in this league.
Speaker 1: And so what this five and oho start out of all Star breaking six and or whatever it is for the Milwaukee Bucks will say to me is that that team is rallying around the noise around their team, rallying around the noise around their coach uh and and they're and they're using that as motivation and they're playing well off of it.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 1: Got to get those guys some credit. Like I said, we got them coming in here tomorrow. It's a big game for us. Obviously, we know how crazy this race is in the West. Every night you're kind of looking at the stands like, oh man, this team lost all we can gain the game. We didn't move here, you know, or we didn't lose a game because that team lost. So you kind of got that thing going in the West, especially in the play in and right at the back half of the top six teams all kind of in a cluster right there in every game matter. And and so a big game for us, first game of a what three game homestand before we get back on the road, so I want to try to take care.
Speaker 4: Of all these before this Texas swing.
Speaker 1: Try to get them done, stay in that race, even move higher up in the race, as that is the goal for us before we get out of here.
Speaker 4: The basketball that Victor.
Speaker 1: Win Mayama has been playing, it's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I personally think Victor Win Miyama is pulling away with the Rookie of the Year race.
Speaker 4: He's kind of creating that separation.
Speaker 1: Sixty games into the season, only a quarter of the season left. It's time to start to create that separation if you can, and.
Speaker 4: I think he's doing that.
Speaker 1: And as you know, I'm not really one that's really big on one on one matchups, but sometimes they do matter based on when they are in the season. And there was just a one on one matchup between Chet Holmgren and to Win Miyama and Victor Win Miyama handled that. He handled that pretty handily, and some would say he was sending us making a statement and sending a statement around the league and to voters. As you know, that's probably one of those ones that matter a little more with where we are in the season with the Rookie of the year race. Quite frankly, by all means, I think Victor is pulling away his last twenty games. He's still averaging twenty nine minutes per game, twenty three points, ten point four rebounds, four and a half assists, almost two steals, and four blocks on forty nine percent from the field, forty from three and eighty three from the line. He's currently second in odds to win Defensive Player of the Year, although I can't quite agree with that because they have the twenty fourth best defense in the league. Now, that's where you kind of get into like his team is not that good, they're young and blah blah blah. But what he's doing is incredible. But you just can't move the line like that, like you're not allowed to just because he's young and the team is bad. A guy on the twenty fourth best defense in the league can win Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 4: I don't agree with that. That's moving the line too far.
Speaker 1: And if you're moving the line that far on Defensive Player of the Year like Rookie of the Year. Yes, I'm not worried about chet Holmgren's team being first in the West and the Spurs being fourteenth or fifteenth, whatever they are. I don't put much into that because you're a rookie. Like to come in and say, all, this rookie's gonna win a bunch of games. Especially a team that get the number one pick probably means that team's not very good. That shouldn't decide the Rookie of the year, and I don't and I don't think it will. Player of the Year is a different thing your team. That does require your team to have a great defense, and they just don't.
Speaker 4: With you know, like I said, with being he's.
Speaker 1: Whatever their record is, that and twenty fourth best defense, that just doesn't work. But you know, Winby is twelfth in the league and steels in first in blocks, and those are great numbers. And as he continue on in his career and that team gets better, I don't think those numbers are going anywhere. I don't think Weinby's going to block less shots. I don't think Wenby's going to get less stials with his lane, and so he'll have these numbers and he'll have opportunity to win defensive Player of the years. I personally don't think that is this year. Even if Rudy Gobert wasn't having a season that he's having and their team having the season that they're having. I still don't think you can give that award to somebody who's on the twenty fourth best defense in the league if you are doing that, But then you got to move the needle back for Jason tATu.
Speaker 4: It can't be all man.
Speaker 1: They gotta win a championship before Jason tATu can win the MVP.
Speaker 4: You gotta move that needle back because.
Speaker 1: Clearly we're just moving the needle whenever we may, whenever we feel like we can. If you're going to give Victor win Beinyama the Defensive Player of the Year award, however, I think he's definitely running away with the Rookie of the Year war. If I'm being quite honest, I want to see him run away with the Rookie of the Year ward. No disrespect to Chet Hunger, and I think Check Hungren is going to be a star in this league. But I just have an issue with second year guys, even if they missed the whole first year winning Rookie of the Year, because when you train with an NBA team, when you live in NBA life, when.
Speaker 4: You learn NBA defensive schemes.
Speaker 1: When you're practicing with an NBA team, you're traveling with an NBA team, You're doing all of these things the NBA players do for an entire year. That makes a difference, makes a difference in your body, makes a difference in your mind, makes a difference in this is how you see the game. It makes a difference.
Speaker 4: And so I just.
Speaker 1: Can't agree with second year guys winning Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 4: I would like to see what Victor w and Miyama win it.
Speaker 1: We had the same situation with Ben Simmons actually wanted, if I'm not mistaken, coming around his second year, which didn't quite feel that great. And then we also had the situation on joelmb that I think he was actually three years in and he was up in the race against Malcolm Brogden, didn't ultimately play enough games and still came in second place Malcolm Brocken that I'm taking it away, but it just don't feel right, because again, I know the benefits of living in NBA life, whether you're getting in the game. I didn't play a time my rookie year coming into my second year, even the little minutes I did played, but more importantly, the life that I was living and training that I was getting it makes a difference. And so I just can't agree. And I think that's a rule that been needed to should have been changed from the NBA. Rookies should be in line for Rookie out of Year and that's just my opinion.
Speaker 4: I'll leave that there.
Speaker 1: But it don't look like we're gonna have that issue because the way Victor win Beyond is playing, he's making a decision easy for everybody. So check being in first, Victor being in fourteen does not decide that award. The play of those players decide that a war, and Victor is making it very clear I deserve that award. That's gonna be a rap for this episode of The Draymond Green Show. Make sure you are tapping this week. We got an interview coming your way. Don't forget to check the Twitter of the Volume, check my personal Twitter for the giveaways. So just tweet us your subscript on our Twitter, well the Volume Twitter or my personal Twitter, and we'll get you locked in. Get your party to give away, and it will be a couple of items until next time. That's a wrap from this episode of The Draymond green show peace,