Speaker 1: My name is Trim and this is Saigon, the story of my family and of the country that shaped us. The United States will not stand by and allow any power, however, great ape.
Speaker 2: Over another time.
Speaker 3: Oren't allow God, who from natural experigion have brought only community.
Speaker 4: Land a bad bady battle.
Speaker 5: Don't landed a by babble.
Speaker 2: That can be no peace without justice, and that can.
Speaker 3: Be no justice without peace.
Speaker 5: Chapter two, h h, my boy.
Speaker 3: Our things on the streets today.
Speaker 2: Mostly calm, father, But there is a mood in the air, a mood of anger that's dangerous.
Speaker 3: Who is fanning the flames. It's not just about a tennis mother.
Speaker 2: Match fired out the anger, but the Viet Mien and other radicals are feeding off the resentment.
Speaker 3: We must control it.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, father, the police are in control of civil order. But I do have something else to ask you. Yes, well, what we need is someone on the inside, on a Viet informer.
Speaker 3: That it won't be easy to find someone we can trust.
Speaker 2: No, but you remember my friend who Tran Van Kim.
Speaker 3: The tennis player, the one who caused the trouble, is just a playboy.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but he's got a problem and he wants to speak to you as commissioner of police. What about he came to see me. He was in a terrible state, crying. His father threw him out of the house, disowned him. And well on top of that, he's yes, he's also got himself into a situation.
Speaker 3: What sort of situation with a woman? Ah, well, that's his problem. I'm not surprised his father has thrown him out. Some boys have to learn how to grab the hard way. I can't help him with an angry girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Normally, no, of course, father, But when it's a French official's wife in the ministry, Kim knows everyone and he goes everywhere. So I thought, maybe if you rescue him from this particular situation, we will own him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I see that.
Speaker 2: He could be our spy with an ear on the street. Where's your meeting, yes, father.
Speaker 6: And Paul. Yes, good work son.
Speaker 1: While Paul and his father were planning to repress assent on the streets, the only thing Paul's friend Joseph could think about was meeting Lane again. He had been given an assignment by his newspaper to cover the unrest in the North, but had delayed his departure, and Lane had been given permission by her father to take in the fresh air of the early evening along the Mekong River bank, where Joseph joined her.
Speaker 5: I said I was meeting a friend. He assumed it was a girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Assumed, well, it's true.
Speaker 5: I did not correct the assumption.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sorry. I can't help on that score.
Speaker 5: I'm here because I want to be Joseph, thank you, and I'm sorry. Seeing me meant you had to postpone your trip to annoy.
Speaker 4: Seeing you was much more important, man, much more, I know. I can wait.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, well.
Speaker 7: I got you.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 4: Are you okay? Yes, I didn't mean to grab you like Joseph.
Speaker 5: It's nice. Joseph m in our garden after the tennis. My father came in before I could ask something, ask what why you came back? Losing your father must have been so painful, you know.
Speaker 4: Ever since he died, I've lived thinking anyone could die on any given day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So when opportunities present themselves, like returning here, I take them. But yeah, I did that without knowing. I mean, I had no idea that you and I would back then you were just a kid.
Speaker 5: You'll grow up.
Speaker 4: And yes, I can see that. I mean not that we I mean that didn't okay. I should stop talking so much, particularly when I can't even finish the sentence. I always I talk too much when I get nervous.
Speaker 5: I like hearing you talk.
Speaker 4: Now you're just being kind. No, I'm not even making sense.
Speaker 5: No, Joseph, you're making perfect sense. I know what you're saying. I should get back. Yes, of course, my father will be wondering.
Speaker 4: Let me escort you home.
Speaker 5: Maybe we should hire a sampan.
Speaker 4: Are you sure?
Speaker 5: I am, if you are.
Speaker 6: All right right?
Speaker 1: They needed no more words beyond those required to hire a sampan, of course. Inside unseen from the banks, Joseph rolled back the canvas roof, and the scent of Saigon's night markets spilled into the cabin. Even decades later, a mere hint of that scent would always turn memories across the city. At the Continental Palace hotel, Commissioner Jacques Devreaux was waiting for his new potential.
Speaker 7: Spy, Commissioner Monsieur king, thank you for agreeing to me.
Speaker 3: For members of the esteemed Tran family, it is always able castle.
Speaker 6: We must se what Champagne.
Speaker 7: That's very generous, Commissioner.
Speaker 3: Well before we discuss business. I must toast Saigon's newest tennis champion.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you consider my victory legitimate.
Speaker 6: It was a game, Kim.
Speaker 3: I'm a believer in keeping things in perspective.
Speaker 7: I couldn't agree more good.
Speaker 3: We have some common ground. Now I am told you have a situation. The situation I can help you resolve.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 8: Tomorrow morning, a prominent family is going to insist you arrest me on charges that come down to their word against.
Speaker 7: Mine over a woman.
Speaker 3: Why am I not surprised?
Speaker 8: The issue is she does not want to be named in public, and nor does she want to see me suffer an injustice. So she is aching for you to hear our side of the story secretly, to give you the information you need to calm everything down. And obviously I will be in your debt, Commissioner Devereaux, But I do not believe I'm asking you to break an oath or the law.
Speaker 7: It's just desperate times need desperate measures.
Speaker 8: As the old saying goes, where is this woman? She's waiting outside in a rickshaw. She can't be seen here in the terrace of the Hotel Continental. Too many people would know her.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, of course, of course, showing her face to the whole who cut in it at such a sensitive time? I understand still, like, if I do this for you, what can I expect in return?
Speaker 8: Anything, monsieur, anything you want, but we can discuss details later. Please, she's here now outside, yes, but you.
Speaker 7: Can't wait for long. She's expected home very soon.
Speaker 3: All right, continue, do you.
Speaker 6: Vera let.
Speaker 7: Please come on it after you?
Speaker 3: But we could be said no, no, no, not yet, Pierre, We'll be back in a while.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, enjoyed the night there?
Speaker 3: Now where is she.
Speaker 7: Around here? Mister huh?
Speaker 8: Down this way, the eli on the left, come come, come.
Speaker 6: See.
Speaker 7: Ah, she's at the end. Yes, in a sicklo Yes, I see.
Speaker 1: Jacques Devereux headed down the unlet alley towards the hooded rickshaw. In a few minutes, he would have Kim on his payroll and be one step ahead of all the major ringleaders in the Vietnamese nationalist movement. Then in the rickshaw was a man who is this with a knife?
Speaker 4: Kim him.
Speaker 1: As he turned, Kim drove his own knife deep into Jacques Debrou's chest. Forget It was over in seconds. Jacques Debeu's body was found an hour later.
Speaker 2: It's so peaceful here.
Speaker 4: It's like nothing else matters, just you and me.
Speaker 1: H m.
Speaker 4: M hmm.
Speaker 1: What that's it.
Speaker 5: Listen, Joseph, my father he wants me to marry.
Speaker 4: Ah okay, but what do you want?
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter, of course it does.
Speaker 4: He can't force you to if you don't want to.
Speaker 5: No, you don't understand. This isn't America for my father. Marriage isn't about love. It's about securing wealth and status for the family.
Speaker 4: That must be hard, having your life decided.
Speaker 1: For you like that.
Speaker 5: Just hold me again, please, I got you.
Speaker 2: That sounds ominous.
Speaker 5: All riots.
Speaker 4: Were your father's to worrying where you are?
Speaker 5: Yes, I should probably get home soon.
Speaker 6: None is that you, Oh father.
Speaker 5: I didn't think you would.
Speaker 2: I thought you were just meeting Jaretti.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 7: It's after ten.
Speaker 5: It was her birthday, so we she wanted to celebrate. But I'm safe. When we heard all the sirens, I said goodbye and came straight home. Here you are, Mama.
Speaker 9: I've been worried.
Speaker 5: It's all right. I'm fine, everything's fine.
Speaker 9: Did you know what's happened?
Speaker 1: The funeral was three days later, held at the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming.
Speaker 1: It attracted all the important office bearers.
Speaker 5: Of the colony.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Ah, Monsieur Hugh, my condolences, Captain Devereux.
Speaker 7: Your father was a fine, fine man.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I hope you catch and punish the offenders.
Speaker 4: Yes, they do not speak for the real Vietnam Captain, of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, please know that they are uncivilized gangsters.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Monsieur Hugh. Yeah, yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 5: I cannot imagine the grief you must be feeling. If there is anything I can do anyway I can help, please.
Speaker 2: Let me know, of course. Thank you, lad Well, minister, thank you for coming. Oh, Joseph, I can't believe it.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm still in shock.
Speaker 2: Look, I can't say much now, but I'll need a drink somewhere after this.
Speaker 4: Damn sure you will.
Speaker 1: And three hours later, emotionally exhausted, Paul Devereux slumped into an armchair at the Gendarmerie Officers Club opposite his boyhood friend.
Speaker 2: What an ordeal, What a turnout.
Speaker 4: Practically the entire French administration was there. Your father was highly respected, Paul. You should be proud.
Speaker 2: The Rebons are getting bolder. You'd think the Vietnamese might have some gratitude for what France has given them. We've civilized them, modernized them, made them economically competitive, broad peace and prosperity. And what do we get in return? These people are not ready for independence. If we left, they'd kill each other. And they're not even aware of the Japanese. The Japanese are just staring across the ocean with cannons and tanks, waiting to grab their chance. Without us here, there'd be a Japanese colony.
Speaker 4: A paste, missie, here, you need a drink, I do.
Speaker 2: Better, hm, hm, A drink and a good friend with whom I can say what I think. I'm glad you canceled that trip to Hanoi.
Speaker 4: Don't think twice about it, Santi Si. So any indication of who might have been responsible for your father's.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Nothing direct. He had the meeting with Tran Van Kim at the Continental, but that was earlier in the evening they left, long before his body was found.
Speaker 4: Tran then Kim Land's brother, Tran then Kim.
Speaker 2: Yes. In fact, Kim asked me to set up that meeting. It got himself in trouble with some girl and couldn't go to his father to sort it out, so he came to us instead. Oh, I have wondered. Kim's obviously sympathetic to the cause of nationalism, probably even knows some of the agitators. But then you think Kim might have No, not really, he's not a killer. There's such a respectable family. Yeah, and they've been so good to me, to all of us. It couldn't be Kim. Our families have been closed for so long.
Speaker 7: In fact, in fact, what.
Speaker 2: No, I shouldn't say. They have some news, but it's up to Kim's father, Monsieur here, to announce it. Oh, come on, No, I can't.
Speaker 4: Now, you're just being deliberately mysterious.
Speaker 10: You'll hear soon enough, Joseph, have another couple of drinks. No, it's about something else, nothing to do with what's just happened. Let's changed the subject.
Speaker 1: Paul Deveux pushed Kim from his thoughts, but he and Joseph had both hugely underestimated the fire that now burned.
Speaker 9: In Kim's soul.
Speaker 1: This way, Kim had left his birth family forever, and he had sought to be accepted by a new family, a family that initially doubted his sincerity.
Speaker 6: Sit down, wait, tryan van Kim. Yes, you made an impression.
Speaker 1: This was Ho Chi Minh, legendary leader of the Indo Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 11: I have wandered a tennis player, a womaniser, a boy from wealth and privilege. Why would you seek us out?
Speaker 8: Because I also know all the injustice and hypocrisy it takes to keep privilege alive.
Speaker 11: Privilege is hard to give up.
Speaker 8: I have no interest in that life any longer. I cannot return to it physically or emotionally. Physically, that's now impossible. I knew that women would always be a distraction, so I removed that option with the same knife with which I killed Commissioner de Roun. I'm now dedicated to the revolution, comrade, to freedom for Vietnam and its people.
Speaker 7: There will be no distractions.
Speaker 11: Welcome to the struggle, Comrade Kimen. I wish we had more of you.
Speaker 1: Kim would stay hidden for several weeks, grow a beard, lose weight. In time, he would be barely recognizable, and thoughts of his old family would fade to nothing. Even memories of his beloved sister Lan In Kim's heart land soon disappeared, but in Joseph Sherman's heart. Lan was everything, like a first true love. There was space for little else. She had left a message for him after the funeral, meet me midday at the Chillo Leo Cafe Monsieur that is here, But Midday had arrived and receded. By mid afternoon, Joseph had two options, return to his hotel and accept a puzzling rejection, or casually dropped by the Hugh villa and politely inquire if Lanne is receiving visitors.
Speaker 4: Ahn, Yes, Madame Hugh, I wonder if perhaps I might see your daughter.
Speaker 9: This isn't a very convenient time.
Speaker 4: Please, I'm going away, you see, and I'd like to say goodbye. That's all, Joseph Lane, I uh, I'm sorry. I went to the cafe.
Speaker 6: I waited.
Speaker 4: Oh you didn't come.
Speaker 5: I couldn't.
Speaker 4: You couldn't.
Speaker 5: I tried to send a message. I have not been left alone. I'm sorry. It's all happened so fast, and I can't It's not what I but I can't stop.
Speaker 4: It, stop what what's happened?
Speaker 5: Everything? I hate this. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 4: Lan Just tell me, hey, please.
Speaker 5: Since Commissioner de Vaux's murder, everything's changed. My father had to protect us, he had to prove our loyalty to the French. It was a matter of survival.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but how does that affect you and me?
Speaker 5: We live in different worlds, Joseph.
Speaker 4: No, no, we come from different worlds. But I thought we we can, we can live together.
Speaker 5: For a night, so did I. But we can't. I'm the only one who can save my family. What I owe it to my parents, Joseph, I owe them everything. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: What have they done to you? They have promised me, promised to who.
Speaker 5: Paul?
Speaker 4: Paul?
Speaker 6: Paul Paul?
Speaker 4: Yes, you're you're engaged?
Speaker 5: You and Paul? Yes? When yesterday?
Speaker 4: Do you love him?
Speaker 5: Joseph?
Speaker 2: Please, Joseph, Madame, you told me you were here. Has Lane told you the good news?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: How about it? How lucky am I?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Congratulations? Well I just came by to say farewell.
Speaker 2: So you're heading home or up to Hanoi home?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 2: Will you come back for the wedding?
Speaker 4: Well, look, I obviously love to, but you know America is a long way away, so.
Speaker 2: We'll do what you can.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: Please, Joseph, we would so love you that wouldn't we, my dear.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 4: I should get going.
Speaker 5: Can I see you out?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: No, it's fine Land, you stay here, see you Paul till next time.
Speaker 9: We fay well, Monsieurs Sheleman.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Madam Hugh.
Speaker 9: I hope you are happy for our data.
Speaker 4: I understand the situation perfectly, and I can only wish your daughter and Captain Devreaux every happiness.
Speaker 9: I'm pleased to hear it, Monsieurs Sherman Auvoir.
Speaker 1: Joseph packed that night and was at Saigon's major passenger port the following day. Joseph faced a twenty seven day voyage back to San Francisco, the four South Pacific stopovers. Such was the journey needed to cross the Pacific in nineteen thirty five. In his starboard cabin, as the ship pulled out to see Joseph unpacked his typewriter.
Speaker 5: It was time to write.
Speaker 4: As I watched Saigon's slip below the horizon with smoke and haze, heartbreak. I feel incomplete. I'm leaving the sound of her lap, the warmth of her hand, and I wonder if I'll ever feel whole again. But I know that one day, somehow, I will return and I will hold her in my arms once more. Saigon is a production of Thoroughbred Studios, GOLDHWG Productions and iHeart Podcasts, starring Kelly, Marie Trann and Rob Benedict.
Speaker 8: Based on the best selling novel Cigone by Anthony Gray, it is created for audio by Greg Hadrick and Jeremy Fox, written by Greg Hadrick and directed by John Scott Dryden. Original music is by Sasha Putnam, with additional performances by nor Mingnir and lettypic Cheer.
Speaker 4: Editing and sound design is by Elouise Whitmore.
Speaker 6: The series producer is Emma Hernan.
Speaker 3: The producer in Vietnam is Fatma Nihen.
Speaker 8: The executive producers are Jeremy Fox, Greg Hadrick, John Scott Dryden, Howard Stringer and Jason English