Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spotfer, joined as always by my trusted colleague west Hod Qoitts. We're coming to you here from our studios at lambeau Field to talk about Wes. The only thing there has been to talk about for the last few days, and that is the Packers twenty twenty sixth schedule. It came out last Thursday night accompanied by an absolutely fantastic video, and I'm just going to start by giving a shout out to everybody who is involved in that video production. I had nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with it.
Speaker 2: You're on the wheel, bro, I was on the wheel. Yeah, my name was on the wheel. And that wasn't even my idea? Was that your idea?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, you think I have any ideas? But that was That was a lot of fun, and uh, it was it was. It was a thing. It was fun. I love Mike on the scooter, like the.
Speaker 3: And then him coming out of the scooter. Dude, I gotta say really fast too. I know, you get these little rankings and you get all these people like this and that, and credit to every NFL social media department I just want to say that first and foremost, there's some that are ranked number one, there's some that are ranked thirty two. And it's really easy for people that don't have any skin in the game to throw pot shots at people and rip people. How hard watching how hard our social media department works at this and how long it lasts, it gives me a respect for all these teams around the National Football League. And then, you know, you get these pundits that sit there in front of their computers and watch these videos for two and a half minutes and rank them one to thirty two without any context or conjecture of what the market is. And I'll tell you this right now, it's kind of like watching an offensive lineman. I'm sure this is how they feel about when people talk about their performance. You have no idea even what you're watching or what it means to a fan base. I think if you're talking about real rankings, it's how does it resonate with your fan base? And in these last three years, you know, and I'm gonna say it with Duke and Duke bober Renee Gabriel, the direction we've headed with those departments I've been I've never been more proud of of what we put together. I said this, I think in inbox last week that I used to dread schedule release week just because I knew the strain and stress it caused on everybody and worrying about how reaction is going to be. I never was more pumped than this year because I just knew whether it was Packy Packers long awaited return, whether it was working with you know, Stupid Buddy Studios in you know, just the people behind the brainchild of Robot Chicken Harve his team, Michael. I just I left this building on Thursday night with a smile etched on my face. It was just so cool to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Well, the schedule release has become the social media.
Speaker 1: Super bowl of the whether we want it to be or not world, And that's just that's uh, that's how it's evolved. That's where we are.
Speaker 2: And and yeah, and I uh, I enjoyed this one a lot more than dressing up as a clown a couple of years ago, which was which was fun, but this was actually there was a time and place, Yeah, this was this was more fun. But let's get to the actual schedule itself, and you and I have gone back and forth, you know, Insider Inbox and our live Q and A with regard to the schedule and sort of what has caught our eye. So, now that you've had a few days to you know, let it sit marinate in the brain a little bit, what do you think is the most I guess interesting or eye catching aspect to this schedule.
Speaker 3: The fact that, other than a very strange buye, which was necessary because the Packers got put into that Thursday pre Thursday game, yeah, you know, the Thanksgiving Eve game, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, uh, it was gonna whire some different changes, whether it was playing Thursday night football the week before or just having the buye. Aside from that, I actually really like the layout of the season. If you're gonna start, if you're gonna have a stretch of three or four to start the year, it's a challenge, but as you and I have talked about some of our other content, it's also a huge opportunity. With how many home games the Packers have the rest of the way in contrast to how many road games they're gonna end up playing, the Packers' season can be whatever they make it. Now, you certainly got to hope that the injury bug doesn't bite as hard as it did last year, especially down the stretch. But you take care of business the first month of the season, regardless of whether or not Micah Parsons and Tucker Craft around the field, or if they're ramping up during that time to get back or they're on a pitch count at that time. But if you get through September playing good, winning games, you feel really good about where the Packers' chances are to be going into October. So and with four or five to close out the year at home, if you're an NFL team, if you're trying to get into the playoffs, you're trying to win a division, you're trying to get the first round by it's not set up any better than that. So in so many ways, I feel like it is. It's a good layout for Green Bay this year. And there's been plenty of times over the last ten years where you and I have talked about the challenges they're going to face with some of these layouts of schedules. This is not one of them in my.
Speaker 1: Book, Yeah, this one.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to me how there are parts of it that are sort of like classic Green Bay Packers schedule with you know, numerous primetime games, Packers being involved with the holidays, with the night before Thanksgiving, playing on Christmas, all of these things that we've seen before, but then other things that are unusual, you know, starting the season with back to back road games. It's become a little bit more common in recent years, but not something that we've seen a whole heck of a lot.
Speaker 1: The division games.
Speaker 2: I did a little bit of research when I realized, like, oh, the Packers don't have back to back division games at any point in the schedule. All six of them are spread out. You know, you have one in Week one, in Week eighteen, and then the other four are all spread out in between. No back to back division games. And that's the first time since the advent of the NFC North, the four team division back in two thousand and two, that there has not been any spot in the schedule where there are division games that are back to back. So that's kind of unusual, and frankly, in some ways, I think that's the way it should be. When we've seen some of these schedules where the Packers had, you know, you open the season with back to back division games, or you close with back to back division games, or you have three in a row or something like that. Just it seemed to me that's just too much imbalance with you know, regard to really the six games that should be the most important games on the schedule, playing your division rival, and the way they're spread out this year, I think that I feel like that's the way it should be, and I hope we get to see that maybe a little bit more often.
Speaker 3: You know. In the other aspect of this that I was looking at was the two Thursday night games are both home games in terms of the Atlanta game Week three and then also the Carolina one. So in contrast to that, it's not just the fact that Green Bay gets to wake up and roll out of their own beds on Thursday for that game. Always a challenge no matter what on a short week, no doubt. But you're gonna have Atlanta at home against Carolina, then on a Wednesday, making that cross country flight up north to come here, and then you go later in the season with Carolina and they're gonna be in a position where they're gonna be playing at home against Tampa Bay and then making that turnaround coming to Green Bay. That that matters. Now. The Packers, to their credit, these Thanksgiving matchups they've had recently with Detroit, they've won those. They've played really well in those games. And certainly just being having the home field of Aangel on Thursday night isn't a given. But if you're gonna have to play that twice in addition to having a Friday night football game later in the season in Chicago, in addition to having an away game on a Wednesday in Los Angeles, it was good to see that those Thursday night games sort of skewed more towards the Packers favor. And again, the schedule, we can talk about it more times than not, but to have a i that is going to be only nine days apart between games, that's going to be a challenge. But if you can get healthy and you're playing good football at that time of the season, and you come out of that and play well against two road opponents, then all the dominos are there for you to have success against Buffalo, against Miami, against the slew of teams they are going to see at home in that final stretch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's really interesting how this sets up with the back to back road games to start the year. So then you have nine of your last fifteen are at home, and then within that is for the last five being at home, with the only road trip in that stretch of the last five games being to Chicago, which is just the you know, the quick flight. This sets up for the Packers to kind of get rolling at the right time. But you've got to put yourself in position come mid November right to make what looks like a favorable finishing schedule with all the home games, You've got to put yourself in position to take advantage of that.
Speaker 3: You've got to make it mean something.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: But to close on that last point I made, it's just the fact that now that you're playing uncommon opponents. You're gonna play a Buffalo, You're gonna play a Houston Texans team on Monday Night football here as it's scheduled right now. You're gonna play Miami. We all know the track record there and the challenges that the Dolphins have faced in sub forty degree weather going back to twenty seventeen. That's a great chance to be able to build momentum. And I felt like the injuries we make a lot of the injuries and as there should be the season changed that the world turned on its axis. When Micah Parsons had the non contact injury in Denver, you could feel the air kind of go out of the stadium. You could feel the energy from the sideline gets zapped, and green Bay struggled down the stretch. They struggled to refine themselves. They struggle with the confidence to get back into a rhythm. And as much as we talk about Mike's injury, it's also about being able to pick yourself up off the dirt and push forward. I just think that this year, with the layout of it, it's gonna be a great opportunity for Green Bay to make a push because we've talked for years now. Everybody wants to see the Packers back in an NFC championship game. It's been sixteen years since they've been in a Super Bowl. They've had some really good moments under Jordan Love. Now can they put that next foot forward and make that leap. The way this roster's orientated right now, it's all right there for them. They are not going to be the youngest team in the football the National Football League this year. They will be an older, more veteran unit. Can you play like it now down the stretch? Can you have that composure in the fourth quarter? Those are all the questions green Bay has to answer, because as much as you and I can sit here and talk until you know all the cows from Subisky come home, it ultimately comes down to what we see on the grass in the summer and then obviously into the fall and finally the winter. And I just feel like when you're looking at it's like a race, right. You can have ideal conditions, run your best time. You can have ideal conditions and just not have your day. I think it's lined up to have a nice sixty degree day and the morning of the marathon here and now the rest of it's going to be up for green Bay to decide what they want to do with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Well, I got a few other things about the schedule. I want to bounce off you, but we do need to pay some bills. So first we'll hear a quick word from our sponsor. Serious XM. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted Wes and Mike talking about the Packers twenty twenty six schedule. All right, Wes, We've been asked this question, you know, every which way but Sunday with Larry on Three Things and our Live Q and a Insider Inbox and all that. But I'll throw at you, you know what, what's your favorite game here? What is the game that gets the biggest, darkest, boldest circle on the calendar from Wes Hodkowitz.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that answer is clearly going to be Christmas against Chicago. It just is. I can't shift my mindset from that. So let's just put that in And if you'd like to hear my explanation for that, you can watch the Packers live Q and a that I think is on our social media channels. You can watch Three Things or instant reacts. You can probably go down the street at Deerfield Diner and ask the wonderful ladies there. But what my thoughts are on I mean, I've talked about this ad nauseam at this point, so let's put a little pin in that one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The other one that I have not talked about at all that I am quietly excited for is New England. Because that is not an easy place to play in.
Speaker 1: Foxborough and defending champs.
Speaker 3: There is a lot of stuff going on. I'm not going to touch on it as far as what their offseason has looked like and some of maybe you want to call them distractions, sure, but it's kind of going over the fact that this was the AFC's representative last year in the Super Bowl. It's making you overlook the fact that they have one of the league's bright young stars in Drake May. And by the way, Elliott Wolf knows what he's doing. This guy has rebuilt this thing almost overnight. They had to take some lumps early on, but that wasn't just the New England Patriots beating a bunch of cupcakes. That was a very balanced roster that took advantage of what they had with their schedule. I think they're going to be back this year. I think they're going to be hungry in some ways. They got embarrassed in the Super Bowl. They're going to want to show that they are the the when you're talking about up and coming teams in the NFL, the Pats are going to want to put that flag in the ground. Yeah, and I think Green Bay in a lot of ways, they've not made a Super Bowl run. But I think in a lot of ways, there's a mirror match up there with teams that had to completely renovate themselves, completely change their personnel, get a new leader, get a new direction at quarterback, and now they're among the teams that you talk about now in May, in June, in July. Is who are going to be the front runners in the NFL in the upcoming season?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm with you too.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about a game that I haven't really talked about yet because my initial answer to this question when we did the video with Larry when we did our live Q and A has been the Buffalo Bills because I'm very excited for the first time health willing to see that quarterback matchup of Jordan Love against Josh Allen under the lights, you know, Sunday night football at Lambellfield late in the season. Very likely to have big implications for both teams.
Speaker 1: All of that.
Speaker 2: But with that one, we'll put a pin in that one because the other one that nobody's really talking about is a couple weeks after the Buffalo game, the Houston Texans early January, coming into lambeau Field. Now, I don't know where Houston season will be at that point, but the one thing that I'm anticipating is that Demiko Ryans is still going to have one of the best defenses in the NFL. And if you want a late season test as to just where you are offensively, potentially and hopefully going into the playoffs, going up against one of the best defenses, that is going to be a major ma test for Jordan Love and company at lambeau Field. And yes, we're gonna have to wait a while for it, but in some ways I can't wait for it because I'm excited about where this Green Bay offense potentially is going to be at that point in the season, and there's gonna be hardly any if.
Speaker 1: Any defense is better than the Houston Texas.
Speaker 3: It's an excellent point you raised, Mike, and I'll add too when you're I don't think Demiko Ryans gets nearly enough credit. I certainly the defense. Everybody talks about that, and they've won a lot of games, but there's a lot of when you talk about the Shanahan McVeigh and even to some extent because he's getting up there now in age in terms of his tenure, Matt Lafleur, those teams peak like they know how to peak, they know how to reach their their zenith. They're heading into plostseason play, and I feel like that's been one of the hallmarks of Ryan's teams, not just his defense. That nobody talks enough about is Houston didn't start last season great. The Texans struggled out of the game, and but by the end of the season, I mean they were reeling off win after win after win and made no bones about it that this is a legitimate playoff team from thinking the AFC South was just gonna be run away with with the Colts, and then suddenly it ends up being two different teams that end up making the postseason, right, and it was a credit to how they finished. Certainly Jacksonville falls in that same equation, So yeah, that is not gonna be a pushover. And I hope that everything shapes out well with the Texans in their season because that game is being in Week seventeen. That's what is looking to continue. This thirty four year streak of the Packers playing on Monday Night football, the longest streak in the NFL, and you can flex out of that now too, So that's the one where it's like, Okay, it's a little bit of asteris there. Make sure that history stays there, because yeah, it's probably one of the latest times the Packers have had a Monday night FOOTBA game, I would imagine at least, Yeah, this one that.
Speaker 2: Would be that would actually be interesting to look up in terms of because yeah, the Packers have you know, played on Monday Night for you know, more than three decades in a row at least, you know, at least one game. But you're right, I mean with the you know, kind of the advent of the seventeen game schedule now, so in week seventeen before the finale, there is you know, a Monday night game in early January. So I'm sure, I'm sure it's the latest Monday night game that that the Packers have had because the Packers are not played in the wild Card game on Monday night, which is another sort of new invention with h with Super wild Card weekend. But yeah, I'm I'm really looking forward to that one. I mean, the division game, the division games and as we've talked about a lot, you know, the two games against the Bears, you know, one in week five mid October, the other one on Christmas. Having the Bears games you know, spread out like that, I think is I think is good. You get the litmus test early against one of your biggest rivals, and then you know, most likely a ton of implications late in the year on Christmas down at Soldier Field. But but yeah, there there are some you know, there's some sort of sneaky games on this schedule that that are gonna be really big, I think when when the moment comes around. But but not a whole lot of people talking about necessarily right now.
Speaker 3: And the points of which these games are happening when you think about and again we've talked about numerous different content streams that we've done, whether it's opening against Minnesota after closing against them the year before, whether it is the Chicago Bears coming back in the Lambefield, the Packers and Dallas Cowboys again on Sunday Night Football. The Detroit Lions are not going anywhere. I mean, they're going to be a team that are going to give Green Bay everything they have, not only in that October matchup at Ford Field, but then again closing the regular season at Lambefield and the rivalry that that's become. The Packers are the bulls eye in everybody's dartboard right now, especially with these NFC North teams and especially with the Chicago land Bears. I mean, this is going to be a season in which I think the Packers really need to put their feet in the ground and show what they're about. And again, we have to see how it plays out. We can talk about this as much as we want, but the fact is is that the Packers and the season that they're going into six out of seven years with Mattle or in this franchise getting to the playoffs, catapulting themselves forward and using the schedule to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, one last thing before we go, I want to I want to end the show going back to the beginning of the show, the schedule release video. Yes, what was your favorite sort of moment or item or whatever you want to call it within the schedule release video?
Speaker 1: What did you like best?
Speaker 3: I am absolutely enamored by the acting chops of one Tucker Craft. In addition to the fact that I think Tucker was just over the moon in terms of his participation in this. Uh he that old phrase about he understood the assignment. Tucker Craft understood the assignment. I think he was sort of the the heartbeat of that video and being able to take it from point A to point B. Watching again our social media department get all these guys together at various times to shoot their parts, and Tucker to be able to, I mean, was so energetic and I feel like that enthusiasm and and just everything and the guy and he was a legitimate voice actor with how he how he participated in that thing, and he was living the dream. So I think basically anytime I think the number eighty five puppet was on the screen was sort of a highlight for me. Yea and my boy Grossi, Tom Grossy being a part of it was fun too.
Speaker 2: That was That was the one I was gonna mention because I mentioned earlier, you know, Micah Parsons on the scooter and all that, because I mean, the last we had seen Micah Parsons was you know, he's cruising around at the Pro Bowl games, you know, on the scooter and everything. Right, So then we come out with the schedule release video and there's Micah Parsons and he's on a scooter. I absolutely love that part of it. But also then hearing Tom Grossi's voice as the ticket counter guy at the arcade, because it was so recognizable, of course, at least to those of us in our shoes, and I and and I will say this because again I was not involved in this. So the first time I sort of got a preview of the video, I didn't know that Tom was Oh really yeah, And so then like hearing hearing his voice, I just about fell out of my chair, like it was.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 3: It was fun. And and by the way, one other thing, I don't know if people got a chance to play the game yet, but that Sausage Arcade game that the Packers social media department, all the people that were involved with that unbelievable. It was so much fun. I don't know if you played it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I played it.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say, like.
Speaker 1: I was not very good at it, but I.
Speaker 3: Got to I did finally beat it. It took forever, but I did finally beat it.
Speaker 2: I didn't stick with it long enough to beat it.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable. No, the whole thing was a lot of fun. And yeah, just gets you more excited for the next one. Yeah, always always fun when you get people together. In a teamwork, synergy, chemistry, and then adding all the creativity. Yeah that's how that's how greatness happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good times, and it helps it helps the off season go by, right, It gives us something to get fired, and.
Speaker 3: It gives the NFL something to fill its program.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So with that, we'll call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team on Packers dot com. We'll be back later this week with another episode, so until then, for Wes, I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody, and we will see you next time.