Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. This past weekend, Donald Trump finally hit the campaign trap. So I headed down to South Carolina for what was originally permitted as a buga rally but later downgraded to it intimate event.
Speaker 2: What is this event? It's a Trump rally. It is a rally, I'd say it was. It's not a rally.
Speaker 3: It's somewhat of a rally, but it's not a big rally.
Speaker 2: Now I thought it was a rally. It's not a rally. It's a bunch of people standing in line. It's an event. It's a list.
Speaker 3: It's invited list only.
Speaker 2: This is a private event that VIPs have been invited to.
Speaker 1: Yes, only, heavily vetted VIPs were invited. Like this guy, so Brero Trump, JMI no long South Caroline Sombrero Trump.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's not a rally, it's a leadership form formed the leadership teams.
Speaker 2: I see a guy like this.
Speaker 1: I think this guy has got two dates circled out his calendar, Zigo Demo and January sixth. This kid off was packed with classic style and classic takes. Donald Trump is president right now.
Speaker 2: He's currently the president.
Speaker 5: He is still president. There's a lot of things that this Biden person does not have, like the president your seal and things like that that are pretty obvious.
Speaker 1: Biden doesn't have the presidential seal. When he speaks, there's a presidential seal in front of him.
Speaker 5: It's not real.
Speaker 2: What is he doing as president? He is in charge of the military. Great, the military is in charge of this whole thing.
Speaker 5: The military would put in charge in twenty eighteen, when President Trump signed an executive order.
Speaker 1: The American military arms that are going to Ukraine.
Speaker 2: We have Donald Trump to think for that. No, that's.
Speaker 1: Two there's two militaries.
Speaker 2: There's the good and the bad.
Speaker 1: So there's two militaries. Donald Trump's in charge of the good one. Yes, Biden's in charge of the bad military.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, there were sub supporters who still believe in election cycle is actually necessary and we're serious about planning for a log campaign.
Speaker 2: He's just been doing a lot of preparations, a lot of tests in the waters and do you know just what's normal talking to advisors? Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: Nick Twente's Kanye West like the minds that are going to shape the point of view of.
Speaker 2: This whole campaign.
Speaker 1: The original Trump brand is still strong tween that guy, mister w the looting starts, that's when the shooting starts, exactly. But a new election cycle could be a different toe.
Speaker 2: What are you.
Speaker 1: Seeing that is different about Trump and his tone with this kind of an event.
Speaker 2: I think it's more elevated. He's at a more kind of a mature level. Howeverybody's got all their advisors.
Speaker 1: It's almost like he's finally listening to his a little bit as far as.
Speaker 2: Tone the comments down. Are you noticing even the MAGA community being.
Speaker 1: A great serious and respectable If you watch the conservative rhetoric, it looks like you still love America. Conservative rhetoric still respects positions of power in this country.
Speaker 2: Our police, our military, our executive branch. Exactly what's your hat?
Speaker 5: Sec?
Speaker 1: I don't remember?
Speaker 2: I could shit a better president.
Speaker 1: This campaign is already attacking Biden's approach to the war in Ukraine, while Lattie Trump's brilliant yet still theoretical approach Putin would have never ever gotten in and even now I could solve that in twenty four hours. Trump says he could pick up the phone and this thing in twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: What actually would he say? Knock it off. He'd kind of be that that kind of tone to him.
Speaker 1: You think, totally knock it off. Might cower Vladimir.
Speaker 4: Putin because he knows Trump stands up and says, hey, I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 2: Do you wish Biden would threaten nuclear war?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: No, no strong stance of hey stop doing this, okay, or.
Speaker 1: Got you gotta have a You got to have a rattle behind that.
Speaker 2: Saber, right, which is.
Speaker 1: Troops. But you don't want to do troops because then you have all that war, right.
Speaker 2: So what would it be?
Speaker 1: Threat of it, threat of troops? Correct? So you want Trump to get into office and must to put troops into that war.
Speaker 4: No, I wanted to stop it verbally because you don't want military into it because then it escalates.
Speaker 1: If he said verbally, you have to have some sort of backup, correct. So you want Trump to have that backup, which would be not troops. No, he has the troops, so you would support troops being sent in. You don't want to send troops in.
Speaker 2: It seems like a complicated situation. It is very complicated.
Speaker 1: Fortunately for some of these noun rally goers, it doesn't have to be that complicated.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen any any news reports about, you know, this terrible war in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Where do you get your news on Newsmax? And they haven't covered it at all.
Speaker 1: I think that there's no war to cover.
Speaker 2: I think the whole thing is fabricated. And I think that Zelenski, who's the president of Ukraine, I believe that this is all extortion money.
Speaker 1: I spent a little time at Hungary and I met people who were coming from Ukraine to try to find safe haven. They're actual refugees fleeing what they said was a war zone. Were they I just think they might be actors.
Speaker 2: As far as I know, I believe that they might be actors.
Speaker 1: All of those people I met at Hungary, those are refugees.
Speaker 2: I believe that the the government is paying them to do that. That's a lot of actors.
Speaker 1: If that's a sad gig, that's going to cost you billions. And if this is the Trump campaign's first round of invites, America is in for a sweet, sweet ride. Last week, Donald Trump declared his arrest was imminent and called for a protest to take our Nation back outside the Manhattan District Attorney's office. So yesterday, I ventured all the way downtown and joined the media circus to observe this crowd of MAGA protesters who were definitely around here somewhere. Yeah, this is the truth. Social here it says Tuesday protest, take our nation back? Is this the protest for Trump or the Trump protest or the supporting Are we taking our nation back?
Speaker 2: Is that today?
Speaker 1: I thought it was today, so I did have the day right. And then I found a proud and totally concealed Trump supporter. Why are you here because.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna support Trump?
Speaker 1: Because they want the Dina. So Trump went on his own social media and he called out people, his supporters to come out here and support him. And right now, that's just you.
Speaker 2: I'm here. I'm here, he he.
Speaker 1: As a crowd.
Speaker 2: I don't need you come on something.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not, okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Here to actually see what's going on.
Speaker 1: Everyone was talking about it, so I came here to check it out.
Speaker 2: You wanted to see it with your own eyes.
Speaker 1: It's right, because I don't believe what I'm hearing on the news.
Speaker 2: Meet So what have you seen so far? Absolutely was nothing?
Speaker 1: No, correct, This was an unusual magarell the numbers were low, and it was in my own city. However, the arguments over some basic facts were refreshingly familiar. Do you think it's fair for Trump to be indicted if that does happen this week? Listen? I don't know all the specific facts, but.
Speaker 2: What I do now is he's I'm my president.
Speaker 1: Right now, I think he's not president. You think he's serving the role as your president currently.
Speaker 2: Well, he's in my heart, he's he's my president.
Speaker 1: I just have to be clear sometimes for sure. Sure, you think Joe Biden is president?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: No, I think that man is escape.
Speaker 1: I just know that's a legendy he's there because that man doesn't.
Speaker 2: Make any sense.
Speaker 1: But technically he is there.
Speaker 2: He is serving the role of president. Maybe. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't been down.
Speaker 2: I've been watching the DC. I've not seen him walk in the White House. You don't think he actually spends time to the White House.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, there are videos of him in.
Speaker 1: The White House. He's can we just I just want to get beyond this fact.
Speaker 2: He is the president of the United States. Donald Trump was the president the United States.
Speaker 1: In fact, that's what some said, just right, never white here.
Speaker 3: Today, Joe Biden is going after him because I don't even know why he going after him, cause they're going to push him out to do and probably bring them Michelle Michael Obama.
Speaker 1: Okay, but Michael Obama, that's the rest.
Speaker 2: Okay, they maybe why do you call her? Michael bo's me that?
Speaker 3: What did Joan Rivers say?
Speaker 2: What did Joan Rivers?
Speaker 1: That's correct?
Speaker 3: If anybody remember what she said?
Speaker 1: Do you get most of your news from Joan Rivers?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I don't get none of my news from doing I'm just telling you what she said about Michael Obama.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Regardless of their sources. The MAGA crowd, which the police estimated to be between three and six people, believe these chargers were unworthy of a former president. I don't feel Trump should be in trouble.
Speaker 3: That's unconstitutional. I feel said president, this is.
Speaker 1: A political attack. Yes, they're not charging somebody else for this crime. Everything is political, right.
Speaker 2: They did charge somebody else with this exact crime.
Speaker 1: So was he he charged? Well, Michael Cohen was charged, played guilty, served time in jail. Disloyalcy if thelocy is nothing. This is about a man who cheated on his wife with a porn star while his wife was at a with their newborn son. But loyalty is a big issue for you. Listen, we may right, so we all know Trump doesn't understand how the law works. Turns out he doesn't know when it works either. But for Magas supporters feeling fomo about missing the Donald showdown with Justice, I'm confident you'll get another chance.
Speaker 2: How are you going to be here today? I don't know. Maybe a couple more hours, walk around and have.
Speaker 4: Something to eat.
Speaker 1: If Trump has indicted in Georgia, next you go in there, I don't know. Maybe I will. It's like a big old indictment tour, right, I'll see if Georgia and maybe we'll sweak by DC. Tuesday's arrangement of former President Donald Trump in New York was a first for the nation and brought out the passionate, the sensibly dressed, and the kind of men who really disappoint their mothers.
Speaker 5: BO.
Speaker 1: While I had fun getting into the scrum, I was surprised to find there were people who wanted to have meaningful conversations about the justice system.
Speaker 2: I don't believe we're what we're what you're seeing is justice.
Speaker 1: You don't believe in the grand jury process. I don't believe if this was a civilian it would. I mean, he is a civilian, he's a person, but New York address, so he shouldn't go through the grand jury process. I believe it should be dismissed because because I uh, I'm going by general gut feeling.
Speaker 4: The way I see it is, you know, if the government is stuffing over their bounds and doing.
Speaker 5: What they're doing here and dugging Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: This happens all the time. What stuff paid off a hoard star and then fudging business records.
Speaker 2: And I mean, come on, it's his own money for one thing.
Speaker 1: And out of all the cases up against Donald Trump, this is probably the weakest one and probably the weakest. There's no evidence to bringing about this prosecution, so we don't know that until there's a grand jury.
Speaker 2: Who can then see that evidence?
Speaker 3: You know, listen, I think that everyone should get a fair trial.
Speaker 1: So he would afford a grand jury looking at all of the evidence so that they decide to indict Donald Trump, Well, then we will let that happen. Sure, certainly if there's evidence, you know, every piece of evidence should be heard.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, that's what happened here.
Speaker 1: There's an excitement in the air. It feels almost like the American version of a royal event. At the King called to Bourne, star paid and then lied about it the best This record like an American coronation. And then the Donald arrived. The former leader of the Free world was now possibly in the same room as a group of recently busted subway master maners. I think he's got me.
Speaker 2: You think he organztrated all of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because his FLEs like DeSantis was sort of was risy. Now he's taking all the air out of the room.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Trump at twenty sixteen he had all the media, Fox News, CNN was carbed.
Speaker 1: Now they don't cover.
Speaker 2: But now they have to get it arrested. The smartest thing they could do.
Speaker 1: He's like one of the smartest guys. Said, I know that you're talking about the man who's getting a fingerbruted inside that building right now.
Speaker 4: I think they fingerprint on my right. They have they have his DNA.
Speaker 1: That guy's left his DNA in a lot of different places.
Speaker 2: This is at the seven times.
Speaker 1: Could Trump run his electric campaign from prison? You can do anything Trump, Yeah, that does wave you in any way, even if they give him thirty four Feladies, you know it's just like Trump is. He's untouchables except the person who's literally touching his fingerprints right back. Have you donated to the Trump campaign.
Speaker 2: Since he was I haven't thought about it up until now, but I guess I can tell you.
Speaker 1: Trump has fundraised like over five million dollars for this, So in some ways, it's almost like he's getting paid.
Speaker 2: To have sex. Is he a sex work?
Speaker 1: I mean it's cool, there's no judgment.
Speaker 2: Look, I think you guys are great.
Speaker 1: I love sensus a humor, But in many ways you should appreciate this is not funny because they're going after Trump today, they'll go.
Speaker 2: After me tomorrow, and then they'll go after you.
Speaker 1: Did you pay off a spoort star? And then live how don't you do your truner? Oh? I'm sorry, that's gotta be frightening. I guess he could comes for us and we've been involved in hutch money payments and then lying on our business records and then I mean using that when it comes to the campaign as well. Like, I guess that could happen anybody. Perhaps we don't need justice to be blast just friendly. I went downtown to watch Trump's historic arrest and the surrounding media circus. But I was curious how hometown boy Donald Trump would be greeted by regular New York Donald Trump Like Jesus Christ. What more is there to say?
Speaker 5: Trump?
Speaker 3: The Donald Trump up?
Speaker 2: Now the mother another world.
Speaker 1: Real guy Hard Maga Fook. But also appearing were some of the most respected and articulate members of the Republican Party Marjr. Trump will be fistrained.
Speaker 2: By the gust.
Speaker 1: Yes, the rising stars of the GOP came out in force. If anybody can get Donald Trump off today, it's America's lead depends Attorney George Santos, who at the Harvard and are you Are you finally breaking legitimacy to the Are you finally bringing legitimacy to the process?
Speaker 2: You guys? Can you, George?
Speaker 1: Can you talk to us about your volleyball test? Talk to me about your luck? Which lack of reasons have you gotten that you are bringing to this? I showed up as first president of the United States, so you want that you can actually handle the doors? Go George, George, talk to me about your George. After productive conversation like that, I feel good about our nation's future.
Speaker 4: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fair Amount Plus the This has been a Comedy Central podcast