Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh one, Episode three of Days Like I Stay, production of My Heart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It is Thursday, August twenty fourth, twenty twenty three. My name is Jack O'Brien aka the medbds are a secret device that will grow my arms back. Benjamin but and me med bets Baby. That is courtesy of Ax Hubs on the discord. Shout out to you, sir, Shout out to the q Andon conspiracy theory about medbeds. I can't wait to bring all of our new friends in to ask them if they know about med beds, if they're in proximity to any medbeds. At the moment, I am thrilled to be joined in my second seat by a very funny guest co host, an acclaimed stand up comedian and expert oscar picker. It's Nick Turner.
Speaker 2: I guess it's true. I'm not Miles.
Speaker 3: I'm a one night stand, but I still need love because I'm a different man. These pods never seemed to go to plan. I don't want you to leave, Miles. Hold my hand, Oh won't you?
Speaker 2: Gray with me.
Speaker 4: Wow ah, miss, there's more.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's not more than I planned.
Speaker 4: But it was beautiful. It's good to say with what joy? What a just the light of positive energy.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was wonderful to have you here, Nick turn And that was beautiful. I didn't know you had that in you know, your your vocal range, well you did, got that soulful.
Speaker 2: I think this is like my tenth time singing on this show. And if you don't know by now.
Speaker 1: But that was that was maybe a high point. I gotta say thank you, thank you, thank you. Anyways, Nick, we are fortunate, blessed, thrilled to be joined by two very funny writers. Season two of their adult swim show Teenage Youth in Asia is out now. Please welcome Melyssa Nutting and Allison Lena.
Speaker 2: What's up, guys, Thanks for having us?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yeah, we are.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: He didn't want, you know, two people usually, but he wanted someone to offset me today, so we needed to.
Speaker 6: I didn't write any songs. I didn't.
Speaker 1: That's okay, okay, it's not expected. It's just something that we like to do to express ourselves up top and let the guests know that we are not serious.
Speaker 2: As people.
Speaker 1: We are fools. How are you guys doing? How's uh where where are you coming to us from?
Speaker 6: We're by We're bi coastal.
Speaker 1: I'm in La Okay, I've heard of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in New York City.
Speaker 1: That's Alison in New York City.
Speaker 5: I'm in sort of Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: There you go, Sunset Park. I spent some time there. It's rough, rough in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Sunset Park.
Speaker 5: What time is the Oh it's it's forty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh no, there's a rap song that's Sunset Park.
Speaker 2: What time?
Speaker 5: Nope, Yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Actually, Sunset Park is the only place I ever called nine one one. I lived in a couple of apartments in Sunset Park.
Speaker 1: Hey, congratulations, thank.
Speaker 2: You, thank you.
Speaker 4: I was cornered in a in a bakery by uh by some youthes m you know.
Speaker 2: The young kids. You know, they figured it out.
Speaker 5: I assume once through kiwis at my at my friend and he was really he wanted to know how much they had paid for the kiwis. How could they afford to throw such expensive fruit? But it is work, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's been season the cheaper How did how do they do in terms of like I feel like the best projectile of throw at someone is an egg, right, but like that then you get you have the rotten tomatoes you could In terms of like burstability, how I feel like a kiwi would kind of retain its structural integrity a little too well.
Speaker 6: I find the exterior of the kiwi to be like the texture I find very unpleasant. Like if someone were to hold me down and forcibly rub a kiwi kind of across my arm, that would feel that would really be a way to punish me more than throwing it on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I prefer a nice, clean shaven fruit.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't need the whiskers.
Speaker 4: You can eat a kiwi outside though, did you know that you did? Have you ever seen anyone do that? I grew up like that.
Speaker 1: But you can like also eat a banana peel like you don't want to, but like, yeah that's amazing. Yeah yeah, people still love it grows. It reminds me of the people who eat the whole apple. And I'm just like I don't. All right, man, Like you got a thing, clearly that's a that's your thing, and that's good, good for you, But I don't. I don't need it all right, Melissa Allison, We're going to get to know you a little bit better at a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of things we're talking about. I want to talk about Bentonville, Arkansas. For some reason, there's like a Wall Street Journal article. I'll just read the headline from the Wall Street Journal article. This small Ozark's town, m dash home to Walmart headquarters, MDSH is becoming a new capital of cool. I just want to talk about this from a philosophical perspective. We'll talk about the fire festival and all of that plenty more. But my first, Allison and Alyssa, what is something from your search histories that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 6: Well? I just bought a Cooking with Colombo recipe book. Wow, I'm very excited about I just started rewatching Colombo from season one. It really holds up. It's a real sort of like tour Divorce of classism y. You know, you get to watch rich people go to jail. You know, he's like rumply and humble, and it just has a lot of characteristics I feel, you know, we could use right now.
Speaker 1: It's this is wild. Yesterday's Search History was also somebody talking about like searching for Colombo, like being obsessed with Colombo.
Speaker 6: It's in the zeitgeist, you know, really like Poker Race is like inspired by Colombo.
Speaker 1: We already had this conversation yesterday, so talked about poker Face. Also talked about how it's like the origin of like all really great TV writers, like The Family Tree can be traced back to Colombo. But I did not know that there was like a classist sort of rich people going to jail vibe to it.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, the murderers are so far I'm I'm you know, still still in season one, but they're all very wealthy, and they often say things like, you know, to Colombo, like uh, you know, I imagine this would be a bit out of your price range, you know like that. And the other day was calculating how he would have to work for like ninety years without eating just to live in you know, one guy's house for a year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, all right. You know what, after yesterday's Search History, I was like, I know what Colombo is. I've known what Colombo is, but now I think I'm going to start watching Colombo. So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Watching Colombo too.
Speaker 5: This is I have a bad theory on why that's what all the Colombo. I've never seen even an episode of Columbo, but I have a theory about why all the killers are rich people. It is because they only wanted to hire white people in all those parts, and then they were what could all these white people like they have to all be fancy to end be killers because otherwise it'd be too like damn typical or something.
Speaker 2: But that's right.
Speaker 1: I don't want to watch Colombo anymore.
Speaker 5: That is the kid.
Speaker 6: Be like, yeah, like, where is that on like the progressive scale? If you're hiring them because you're acknowledging.
Speaker 1: You know, like the white people are the worst evil, but.
Speaker 6: You're also restricting acting roles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well if all of the protagonists are white people as well, maybe not great.
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 4: You could have remember when like diversity was just making white gang members, right, that the diversity was that a gang a gang was like two white people do leattails.
Speaker 2: But that they're like, oh that's that wasn't it? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah the other way, Alison, what's something from your search history?
Speaker 5: Mine's also mine's a movie. But I so Joe Firestone, who's on our show and is a stand up comedian, Joe should know. So her and I I was we were trying to figure out what to do on Friday night. And I like to make people go to the movies. And because I like going to the movies, and I like to see like, you know, old movies in the theater. So I gave her a bunch of suggestions. So I did a big research and of all the like old movies and theaters in New York.
Speaker 1: And I like old movies that like came out two three weeks ago. Is that what you mean?
Speaker 5: No, like real, like I don't know what they call it.
Speaker 1: Four weeks ago. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And so one of my favorite movies is playing called Content. It's Bridget Bardow Godard movie. And so I said, Joe, do you want to see this? And she said is it scary? Which like just literally I said, Joe, you should watch what just watch the trailer and and so then I sent her that that was also in my search history and and we are going. I gave her a bunch of there was a there's a lot of really good revival movie theaters right now in the city playing all kinds of things. But I'm very excited. I haven't seen it in the theater in a long time, so I'm excited we're going Friday night.
Speaker 1: This is something I want to call out about Los Angeles. Is Los Angeles. I think we talked about this also on yesterday's episode that like, Los Angeles really prides itself on having like old movie theaters that show old movies, but like other cities have that too. I'm pretty sure New York City's got a lot of them. I think, Yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Sound like someone who's never lived in New York. Jack, everything's cooler in New York even somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know it's the best, Alison. What is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: I'm having a tough time deciding between two things. One is the summer. I really don't care for it, like start to finish, don't like probably our most common answer to overrated. And then the second then okay, you the duplas brothers an actually Elma expanded any brother related team interest always overrated, always more than you need. For some reason, people around the world love to see brothers doing things together. I guess that's cute form or something, but not me. I don't care for it.
Speaker 6: There's a whole other team twinsest thing with brothers that happens.
Speaker 1: About that.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, I have a brother. What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 6: She just said that people love to see brothers doing things, and no, no, no, I was just bringing up that, like there's a there's a pornographic contingent to the phenomenon al speaking of. I was just giving further supporting evidence. I thought I was being helpful.
Speaker 1: I think it's an interesting theory that the Cohen brothers are the result of everybody being I'm like, what if those two brothers had sex with each other, like the deep down, that's really what everyone's interested in.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think they just think it's so fun that these brothers like want to work together step brothers. Yeah, I don't know people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But uh.
Speaker 4: I also recently realized that Joel Cohen was one of the writers of Toy Story, as was Josh Whedon, and I just thought, wow, that was before.
Speaker 6: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joseph Whedon, Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, they're like writers of toy No.
Speaker 2: There's four Wow. But for like an animated movie, you know, that's that's.
Speaker 1: Not that anything. Coin went out on his own and directed Garfield.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, okay, but in a group of brothers, like when there's four or five brothers, you know, there was never more than too talented one. It's just like a gang mentality. You just see so many people coming. You're like, whoa, look at all this talent. But it's still just the one or two guys. It's still only Alec Baldwin and maybe a little Daniel Baldwin.
Speaker 5: It's still saddled with a lot of brothers out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Hughes brothers, the who made menace to society and then like immediately or and then they made dead presidents and then split up. Yeah, there's a lot of There is just something that people are like, God, it would be so fun if these brothers like kept doing stuff together. Yeah.
Speaker 5: People are said, there's new brothers. I didn't see the movie, but that it's not called Talk to the Hand, but whatever that movie's called. Those has Australian brothers behind it.
Speaker 1: Yes, and people really like that one.
Speaker 5: I couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could tell from the trailer the brothers had made it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they listed their names.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you meant like you saw the first James and you're like, wait, a second. Get No, probably.
Speaker 2: Brothers.
Speaker 5: They're rarely sexy.
Speaker 1: Rarely are the brothers.
Speaker 2: They're more often sexy, all right.
Speaker 5: But they don't. They don't work together that much those brothers, right, they happen to be brothers that both. I don't have a problem with that, Like if your brother is also out there, I don't. I don't enjoy the brothers that that have this, that work together as a team. I think I find that to be overrated. Yeah, what's the question.
Speaker 2: What about if they have different names like Estevez and Sheen, can they work together?
Speaker 5: I don't. I'm sure America wants them to and then it works. YEA.
Speaker 1: Beach Boys a fan. We don't like the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys, right, we can all agree on that.
Speaker 5: I like Brian Wilson, but I don't know if brothers seems to be a bit of a pill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alyssa, what is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not going to say New York. No, you just all clearly are big fans. I think showering. For me, showering it just feels very like punitive. It feels kind of like a there's no dignity in it, you know, it feels like a punishment.
Speaker 5: Cold, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't enjoy it. It's so boring. I mean it's it's mind numbing. That's a huge thing. It really like rips you out of your routine.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: It's it's hard to have a fluid thought, you know, coming from like the desk into the shower and back out. I mean it's just like this like assault of the senses.
Speaker 1: And I got a lot of fluid thoughts, like get this fluid off of me? Right, Yeah, I feel like showering there's too many thoughts. Like I don't know, you're like kind of alone with your thoughts, which can be a good thing and a bad thing.
Speaker 2: But like I and you're also like, oh right, this is my body, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a hard it's a moment. It's a time for a hard truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's a very corporeal experience. Yeah, it's like you're watching things like go down and drain, you know, like things like suddenly a metaphor truly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's also one of the last places you can't use your phone, and so that you know, that really irks me. It's like that, I think showering and getting your haircut. The only two places now you can't use your phone.
Speaker 1: You can't use your phone when you get your haircut.
Speaker 2: Do you use your phone? Do you like scroll through your phone when you're getting a haircut?
Speaker 1: I just hire someone to hold it in front of my face for me and scroll. Let's say, scroll.
Speaker 2: Yes, it reads my eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, it's rude, I guess.
Speaker 2: But if it's not rude, I'm doing it. I'm starting.
Speaker 1: No, No, I definitely don't unless like somebody, like there's something happening, like I'm getting messages or something. Otherwise, Yes, I find it rude, Like I am such a people pleaser that I like getting my hair cut as an intensely uncomfortable experience for me because I'm just like, oh God, what do I say? What do I do?
Speaker 2: What do I like?
Speaker 1: And yeah, I just like want whoever's cutting my hair to like me for some reason. It's bad scene. It's bad scene in there, all right. Should we take a quick break and come back and do underrated? Let's do that. Let's take a little break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back and Alyssa, Yeah, what's the thing that you think is underrated?
Speaker 6: I guess looking at your phone while you're getting your haircut.
Speaker 2: I think I can't believe you just said that, you know.
Speaker 6: Like I mean, women, it takes it like it takes about four to five hours. You know you can't talk.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you need to talk that, I think, just like also in general, Yeah, you know, if I'm like getting the legs waxed or whatever, you know, that can be me.
Speaker 1: Time for sure. I think maybe like if the haircut was less of a like if there if there was more downtime in between, but like for me, it's like a half hour constantly being worked on. Thing. Like if they were like come in they were like okay, I'm gonna cut and then like leave this, Like are they cutting your hair for four hours?
Speaker 6: When you get a haircut, they're doing a lot of the hair, doing a lot to it.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, I'm gonna start using my phone when.
Speaker 6: I try it.
Speaker 1: Just see.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean it probably works for Trump, you know, I bet he.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There's also probably like like a price of haircut, Like if you're spending three hundred dollars on a haircut, you look at your phone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do look at my phone that's fair. I mean, I don't. I don't want to, you know, I don't want it to seem like the like you know, my stylist would be like crying because she just lost custody of her children, and I'm like not now, you know, it's not that kind of vibe. It's like they have lives of their own. You know, they're talking to other stylists. You know that is happening. It's a real Yeah. I feel like we've all kind of agreed upon it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It seems like a community. Yeah, a community thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It sounds like maybe I'm wrong on this one, and I can. I could just start using my phone, which is great, Zichang. Let us know if if you have strong opinions one way or the other on using the phone when geting a haircut. Alison, do you have anything that you think is underrated?
Speaker 5: I do. It's I guess I really more than I thought, and probably more than some people. I really like watching a man sing a song and it can go a lot of ways. And I recently my friend suggested we go to this diner that was way out kind of in the rockaways in Brooklyn, and there was a man in this diner in their chandelier room that did a Elvis impersonation at like seven pm on Saturday, and there was people. He encouraged people to day ants and sing with him, and he just sung basically Elvis songs and other songs from long ago, and it was incredibly fun, just a very I had zero expectations and was actually sort of dreading it, and then it was. It was truly like a delightful evening. There were most of the people in there were around eighty years old, and then there was just some other completely rare. It was the most Brooklyn thing I'd done in a while, and like real Brooklyn, not gentrified Brooklyn. But yeah, it was I highly suggested, and it was incredibly underrated that it was at the new Floridian Diner out on Flatbush and anyone listening, I couldn't recommend it more.
Speaker 1: What is a chandelier?
Speaker 5: It was a part of this diner that had a chandelier in it, the light song the whole time, and they did have alcohol, which as soon as I was gone, that was my very first question. And then it was like two hours We're in there. There's like a special menu that was in the chandelier room. Anyway, Yeah, it was really fun.
Speaker 1: I think this works nicely to transition us into Bentonville, Arkansas, because Bentonville, Arkansas, as mentioned, this small Ozark's town happens to be hom a Walmart head quarters is becoming the new capital of cool. This is a Wall Street Journal article. Wall Street Journal, as we've frequently talked about on the show, is where we go to find out what is cool.
Speaker 2: Well, it's on the streets, you know, on the streets.
Speaker 1: They did they tell you what's happening in the streets, So I don't know it just it triggered a lot for me in just this idea because it seems like, Okay, they had a plan. This is where the Waltons live. They want people to forgive them for what they've done, you know, hoarding a immoral amount of wealth, and so they're going to turn their hometown into Brooklyn. Essentially like feels like what they're going for. They're like, we're going to do an art museum. We're gonna like lure all these Michelin star chefs down here. And this article just takes it at face value and is like, yes, let's do it. This place is great I'm just gonna read some direct quotes and then I just want to open it up, open the floor up. But the reason I think that the diner with the chandelier room transitions nicely is because it's it's a very Brooklyn thing that I feel like they wouldn't think, like the Waltons would not see the appeal of that in trying to create their cultural hot spot. But all right, this is from the Wall Street Journal author. I had my reasons to take a closer look. My husband James, and I live in the Denver suburbs and crave little culture. We also have a thing for visiting you there.
Speaker 5: So people from the Denver suburbs also wrote the article.
Speaker 1: Yes, the Denver suburbs.
Speaker 5: That's an very important thing.
Speaker 1: Her husband's name is James. Also we will find out their son's name is Guy. We also have a thing for visiting small towns because they tend to be more navigable for us parents of a toddler than a megalopolis. Bentonville, which celebrates its one hundred and fiftieth anniversary this year, seemed to fit the bill. It also happens to be where Sam Walton opened Walton's five and ten in nineteen fifty. Today it's home to Walmart's corporate headquarter. Yes, I wrote that by so I said, what a weird coincidence that it happens to be where Sam Waltson opened his store. So she also right, so off we went for a long weekend with our three old son. Guy, she really wants you to know the names of the people in our family. We flew in on Thursday afternoon during torrential rains to a rolling kelly green countryside that looked like the Rye grass fields of Ireland.
Speaker 2: Maybe she just really wanted to hit his gender.
Speaker 1: It's my son, this guy got Yes, what is that illegal?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: I just I love them trying to put like the grass in an Arkansas company town in the context of like the Irish countryside. Like it just like they just want to cram something like natural and unspoiled into Maybe.
Speaker 5: They did pay them to write this article.
Speaker 1: I'm very curious, but like it seems like it is part of a long standing, long term plan and buy them that has just been they've been beating people over the head with it. Like there's things on social media all about this town.
Speaker 5: They're flying people in from the Denver suburb from.
Speaker 1: The Denver suburbs, just piping people in. Let me continue. Bentonville, home to fifty seven and sixty eight people as of July twenty twenty two, continues to grow into what feels like a company town as envisioned by Norman Rockwell and the curators of MoMA, which a devastating sentence that I don't think they intended to be devastating. The second annual Format Festival, from September twenty second to twenty fourth, will mix art and music at the Momentary, a satellite venue to Crystal Bridges, which is like some brunch spot that they went too earlier. Scheduled acts include Leon Bridges, LCD sound System, and Alanis Morris. That Bentonville, it turns out, and this is the thesis statement, is a bit of a Coolsville. But so far as I could see without a whiff of pretension, Okay, yeah, this is right.
Speaker 5: Still want to take their three year old to look at fine art? I mean that that's that usual place you take your three year old, well on vacation. Must be super fun for them, But I just I have heard about I don't know much about this, but they've been collecting art a long time. The Waltons like other you know, wealthy people, and then they reach a point the wealthy where they just decide they need to like build their own museum. And I've been to a few of these around the world of just wealthy people who they usually are in kind of weird places, right, But I think I just I'm curious if they collect any art by people that are alive, the Waltons, or is it all because that could be kind of messy. You may get on the wrong side of what the Waltons are all about.
Speaker 2: But if they.
Speaker 5: Only collect dead artists, I guess it makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's the complication there?
Speaker 4: You know, I was thinking of the broad here in Los Angeles when you said, you know, just the wealthy guy has too much art and opens it up. But I know that he uh commissioned a lot of art from people who are alive. But why is that messy?
Speaker 5: Because like you're then making art for Walmart, and you may be an artist that has, you know, opinions that run south of the thousands of things that you could have a problem with Walmart about maybe you say those things out loud. I don't know, I would just assume they don't want too much dissension over at Walmart headquarters. But maybe I'm wrong, Maybe they love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would an artists care about Walmart? Like if anything, Like they probably aspire to like have their paintings put on trapper keepers and like you know these things like different school supplies. Like I feel like that would be cool.
Speaker 2: I want to get my art on an air fighter.
Speaker 5: Whoever owns the keep Hairing estate right now? Like the single place the.
Speaker 1: Road, Yeah, the broad is like currently, you know, it's the biggest la art museum and also has like has a Herring exhibit right now.
Speaker 2: It's certainly the hottest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so everything.
Speaker 7: Literally I'm just a little worried about going to Bentonville because there's not that many people in it, so you would assume there's like one percent of the place's Walton's and as we all know, Walton's are allowed to kill people while drunk driving and get.
Speaker 4: Away with it, And so I'm just really like nervous for my kids down there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I lived in Columbia, Missouri at a time when there was a local scandal because the basketball arena was named after one of their daughters who as they were doing the naming of the basketball arena, it was revealed that she had just like paid for her classmates to write all her papers for her in college. But that's like what they do is they just like taken all the money from any honest business around the country just like come through and like just sucked it up from like those communities, and then they've used it to rename things around the country after themselves. And that's kind of how the how the system works. And then they they've also like taken over their home city and they they claim to be the mountain bike capital of the United States. Bentonville, it is completely flat. There's like there's an article in uh on Reddit on Arkansas. They're like, it's kind of weird that they self claiming the mountain bike capital title is a bit laughable since Bentonville is as flat as the Arkansas Delta.
Speaker 2: We might have to rename the mountain bike the cool bike.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think so.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the Wall Street Journal says. It's cool, like it's got to be.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That is a large degree of culture today, or a large part of culture today is like people traveling and like going to art museums and like rich people can just like so and I guess this has always been true, but like it's like this just very specific example of like oh, but it's like it has so many cute brunch places and the like really cool art like you just trying to create like a cultural hotbed out of thin air while you are the worst fucking people.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 1: Just it's it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Also they're like, I don't know how much they're taking into account how much you need nightlife to get people to come to a place, and you need to like set up it's going to be bachelorette parties, and it's just like you can't have one without the other.
Speaker 1: Right right, I'm guessing there's not a thriving like underground comedy scene in Bentonville.
Speaker 2: There's only three mics.
Speaker 6: There's Bentonville like on the thunder Down under tour circuit or like a year a year, Okay.
Speaker 4: It feels like when you go to Palm Springs, you're driving like from LA You're driving the desert for an hour and then suddenly, for some reason, there's a jungle in the middle of the desert where they've just sucked up.
Speaker 2: All the water from everywhere.
Speaker 4: They have all the buddy and all the water, and you could have trees and all the brunch.
Speaker 6: There is a there's so much brunch there.
Speaker 2: The brunch.
Speaker 1: Yes. Anyways, guys, mark it down on your bucket list. Bentonville, Arkansas. I feel like an author needs to like go there for a week and just take acid and see see what is revealed about an.
Speaker 4: Author from like the suburbs of Boise or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like someone who's real, like from the suburbs of Boise. She could have just said Denver, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about real culture such as fire Festival too.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: Big news.
Speaker 1: Fire Festival two is tickets are on sale. This is from the same person, Billy McFarland who organized the first one and then subsequently went to jail for it, and this one will feature amenities such as it's not clear and musical acts that are as yet unspecified. The website has narrowed the dates down to sometime in twenty twenty four, probably end of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: He's got to talk to his po Yeah.
Speaker 1: The website just lists the location as the Caribbean, complete with a Google Maps link to the Caribbean. See like just that that's all way you click on it. It's just like, yeah, this is geographically this is what the Caribbean looks like. And the first hundred tickets have already sold out. This connects back to the previous stories like I feel like this Bentonville is going to fool a lot of people. If this is fulling people.
Speaker 4: I think it's like maybe the most genius marketing I've seen in a while, just like putting out one hundred tickets for five hundred dollars each that he could easily buy himself and then say, okay, we sold out the first round and then now there's articles in every paper in the country and it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Do they have any like wedding packages. I'm just wondering.
Speaker 5: They should do divorces quick ones, like how people would go to Reno and you could get a divorce like in twenty four hours. Could be a good destination thing they could have there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as part of the firefest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope that Tens set up.
Speaker 1: CBS News did some follow up work and interviewed some of the people who bought tickets, they said, if anything, it'll just be a really cool vacation. Our main concern is that we don't know if big headliners will be willing to, you know, take that risk to be in something so controversial. We're going to stay optimistic, like we're worried about them, like not, We're clear that we're good. We're not worried about, you know, whether this thing's going to actually happen or not. But what about the headliners. They might for some reason be skeptical that this thing might might not go off without.
Speaker 2: A head I think they're coming back. I do it. That's like the biggest thing they've had.
Speaker 6: While I just remember all that like were people like locked in an airport with no food, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the cheese sandwiches.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Like, I don't think the biggest problem was headliners not showing up, right, I think that was like somewhere down on the list, Yeah, of issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they almost had to suck a dick to get enough water so that people like didn't die on the island. I met that guy Andy King by the way.
Speaker 2: Public appearances afterwards. I saw him of the thing.
Speaker 6: Oh is he on cameo. I really like to be I would get a cameo.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He has signed up for another Firefast, claiming that it will be the ultimate redemption.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you do something that like shakes the world and it's there's nothing you're going to be a part of. That's going to be like such a fun thing, even though I mean in retrospect it has to. But like I'm glad I did I was part of that. That's really cool. Yeah, and I'm not Billy McFarlane. That's like the best part.
Speaker 6: I'd love that he can't stop, you know, I don't know. I just find that so interesting about people sometimes, how they really want to they just live to get money for selling experiences that aren't.
Speaker 1: Valid, aren't actually experienceable.
Speaker 4: He also started like a Ponzi scheme involving concert tickets and like tickets to like events that didn't even have like the oscars are doing this.
Speaker 2: Yes, he loved he would actually yeah, they would.
Speaker 4: He'd be like one hundred dollars to this, and then he would just go buy a ticket for five hundred dollars and do that and just to get it going so more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put money in and then you know, he would stop doing it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Conment like really can never stop. I mean, whatever their thing is, the convent of the world, cannot stop doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us it looks exhausting, but to them, it's like, no, that's just breathing. That's like how I get from one day to the next.
Speaker 5: Like, they have to be in prison or dead. There's no way the other way to make them stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then if you let them back out of prison, they are going to just be like, Okay, that was crazy, but right back at it. This isn't even the first like project he's touted. He also tried to launch a pirate themed treasure hunt in the Bahamas, first post prison project. Like since prison, he has tried to launch a pirate themed treasure hunt and the Bahamas a documentary about how that business. The Treasure Hunt would help him to pay back the twenty six million dollars he still owes, and then that like never happened. He also announced Firefest one point five, which was a Broadway musical that he planned to mount. That never happened. So he's he's just.
Speaker 5: A skincare line. So he got a skincare line.
Speaker 2: Oh that sets your skin on fire?
Speaker 1: That's obviously next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then and then diet supplements. You know, is there like the usual trajectory.
Speaker 1: He was running for president.
Speaker 4: Yeah, solitary for seven months and just laid there and just thought of ways to capitalize on the brand, and then did the ball.
Speaker 1: It's just mean numbers swirling around his head like in a beautiful mind. But it's all the way. The math was incorrect.
Speaker 5: What do you think that blood lady will think of when she comes out of jail? What's the Elizabeth Holmes. Yeah, she's she's got to be dreaming. She's going to spend like six years in jail or something.
Speaker 2: Right. I can't wait to see how high her voice is after a jail.
Speaker 5: I hope she comes up with a festival mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Kind of shocking that she hasn't already.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe if there's like mosquito born viruses that people get at the fire festival in the Caribbean Ocean, Elizabeth Holmes's company can test for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a whole vertically integrated suite of scam companies.
Speaker 2: Now, I have no opinion about this. I'm just asking you guys.
Speaker 1: You just suddenly turned into a Southern lawyer by the way, I have no thing about this, Yehanna, can.
Speaker 4: We get some ale conditions in this? No Elizabeth Holmes awaiting sentencing that she knew was going to be you know, ten twenty years whatever. She had two kids. Oh wait, what do you think about that?
Speaker 6: Sociopath? I think she's using them as pawns, you know, to try to get a reduced sentence or you know, delay her sentence or look sympathetic and human. You know, I think it's truly sick.
Speaker 2: She like moved to.
Speaker 4: A farm, Like look, how normal I am?
Speaker 6: Right, right, yeah, I mean she really benton Arkansas and her image, you know, Bentonville, Arkansas.
Speaker 1: All right, Allison Alyssa, thank you guys so much for being on Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 6: Well, they can tune into our animated show, Teenage Euthanasia. It is on every midnight on Wednesdays on Adult Swim and then it's available the next day by nine am on Max and after this week five episodes will be up and available. We're halfway through the season, and then we also have a Teenage Euthanasia Instagram where fans can follow check out merge by a sweatshirt with crotch beetles on.
Speaker 1: Them nice And do you guys have a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 5: Okay, I got one. I saw Sam Campbell last night, who's an Australian to meet at Para and Connor O'Malley show, and he was so funny. Anyway, Sam Campbell, I'm sure he'll if you haven't already heard of him. It was super, super great, bizarre and hilarious.
Speaker 2: I think everything's funnier in an Australian accent personally.
Speaker 1: What about you, Alyssa, what's a what's a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 6: Sorry? I think yeah, I'm really deep in the Columbo trenches.
Speaker 5: I apologize.
Speaker 6: There's not a not a lot of oxygen for other things.
Speaker 4: Really, would you recommend people started at episode one? Or is there one episode that that's the best out of the first season intro because it's you know, it's it's just a you know, crime of the week thing, you know you don't Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, that's true. It is just an episodic. There's there's an episode and they have really fun names, but there's an episode where a lady gets a makeover in season one and like like sometimes you kill somebody and then like you just want to like get a makeover is sort of like the theme of that episode, but it actually like kind of worked. You know, like it looks really good. You know, she looks like better after she became a murderer, like by about eight hundred percent then she looked before she became a murderer, Like suddenly she starts like caring about her appearance and like like bearing her midriff, and she gets kind of like this sassy haircut and you know really like steps up as girl boss of this company. And it was kind of invigorating to watch.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm into it all right, Nick, thank you so much for guest hosting. What's the work media you've been enjoying and where can people find and follow you? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been watching those untold documentaries on Netflix. They had like the Balco doping scandal and they had one about Jake Paul and uh I. They like take stories about things that you hate and tell you like maybe there that's not you know, the whole story, but that it's like really thirty for thirty level sports documentaries, those untolds on Netflix, and I really highly recommend them and my next stand update on October twentieth in Salem, Oregon at the Infinity Room.
Speaker 1: So check that out.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore Obrian. You can find us on Twitter at Daily zeike Guys read the Daily zei Geist on Instagram. We have Facebook fan page and website daily zeikeuis dot com where we post our episodes on our footnotes where we link off the information we talked about in today's episode as well as a song we think you might enjoy. Song I'm gonna recommend. I'm going to recommend one today is by No Name and No Name. The rapper has a new album out No Name, has like great political content to their music and is just a great rapper and has this song Rainforest that is a couple of years old, really good. She has a new album outs that is supposedly very good. I haven't listened to it yet, but just check out Rainforest and then if you like it, go check out her new album Sundial. So we will link off the Rainforest in the footnote. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then Bike