Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode contains spoilers for Christopher Nolan's The Odyssey in Imax See It Now. Hello, my name is Jason kccepcion. Hell, I'm rosy Nate and welcome back to the Extra division of the podcast, where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies.
Speaker 2: Comics, and pop culture. Company from I Heart, we'll bring you three episodes a week.
Speaker 3: Lass.
Speaker 4: In today's episode, we are joined by super producers Aboo and Joel to talk about seeing the Odyssey the way Nolan intended.
Speaker 5: On a big, big screen. We will also be talking about.
Speaker 4: Box office review, audience theories, and what's that really athena question Mark and production notes. Guys, we will be at San Diego Comic Con on Sunday, July twenty sixth. We will have a special news episode where we react to all those trailers, announcements and reveals from Comic Con Week.
Speaker 2: And Okay, the honysty round to table.
Speaker 1: First, let's welcome super producers Aboo, Aboo, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm great, very excited to go on our own personal odyssey on this episode.
Speaker 2: And Joel to the podcast Joel, how are you hotty?
Speaker 6: Team, I'm elited. We saw a masterfiece and now we get to talk about it. It's like the best kind of podcasting.
Speaker 1: Let's let's quickly set the table with some numbers. So The Honesty opened last weekend. We were recording this Monday. It is a hit currently over just under four thousand theaters in the US one hundred and twenty four point five million, Nolan's biggest domestic debut since The Dark Night Rizzz one hundred and.
Speaker 2: Sixty million back in the day.
Speaker 1: International markets, that's one hundred and thirty nine point six million in seventy two different markets, so two hundred and sixty four point one million global. No one's biggest global opening ever, ahead of The Dark Knight Rises, which was two hundred and forty nine million adjusted Oppenheimer just one hundred and eighty million, so the third largest opening of twenty twenty six. Per available data, the weekly chart shows Odyssey at number one, one hundred and twenty four point five million, followed by The The.
Speaker 2: Bedraggled and Bemoaned Mowana.
Speaker 5: Live Actually yea Yeah Rock looking as bad as.
Speaker 1: The bomb is horrendous, The Rock, the Juiceless Rock failed.
Speaker 4: He changed the power power dynamics of the box office negatively.
Speaker 2: So huge, huge movie.
Speaker 1: And let's discuss our top line thoughts the Odyssey a Boo.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you.
Speaker 3: My top lane thoughts are that it's amazing, it's a near masterpiece. I hesitate to call it a masterpiece like many other folks out there are calling it. I think it is a great film. I think it is one of Nolan's best films. I would also argue not his best, but one of And I had a great time. I visually incredible story, incredible music, absolutely floored, like actually literally shook my seat because the theater was so loud. But the music just my heart was pounding at moments, and I like, I could feel my heart pounding along with the music. Really incredible. I think, just a true achievement. And I'm so glad that the box office is doing well. I think, obviously Nolan is a superstar director and he was going to get a good box office regardless. But to see it get a great box office makes me very happy because I want more movies like this in the future.
Speaker 6: Joelle, I stand by masterpiece in that a masterpiece for me, anyway, is sort of defined by an artist canon of work and where it stands amongst that can. This is everything Nolan has ever tried to do on film realized right, and women get to be a part of it. I have notes, I have notes. I have notes on how the women are a part of it and how much they get to be a part of it. But they're there. It's amazing and I think too, just from a growth perspective, like no one's doing real monster work. He went talked to Del Toro a lot. He's always been great with stunts, but whenever you add water, ask any production, that's like it's just risk incarnate. He's shooting on location, y'all, climbing mountains to make movies. Like if you're a lover of cinema, there's so much like Nolan gifts back like it's the best of the best in every category, like right down to your gaffers all the way up to like your producers and your actors. And like the close up of Anne Hathaway the rack Focus Puller Award. I don't know who did to do that, and not a ninety foot film. She's rocking back and forth and close up and that is never out of like focus. That's incredible. That is real, like a master at work, and I think to be able to see that in every single frame is incredibly rare, as this film feels like such a gift. I mean to the point that, like if you saw the Dune preview, like Denny writes a note to the audience, He's like, with so much respect to Christopher Nolan, I'm STI glad I get to present to you June three, and you're like, wait a minute.
Speaker 5: They're just such.
Speaker 6: Gravitas sprinkled over this film, and I think it's earned and then justified again and again throughout the film. I don't think it's perfect by any means. I have lots of notes, but I fucking loved this movie.
Speaker 2: What format? Discuss format? What format? Did we see it in? Rosie and I saw it in the Imax seventy mins.
Speaker 4: We saw it in the full Imax, which is like as big as you can get it? And that was Joel, you saw in the screening that was technically seven emilimis Imax, right.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, so I saw I seen it twice at two separate theaters. I saw it at the City Walk that's the tall one, and then I saw it in the TCL. I do hate it I don't think the room is the right size, but then I saw at the TCL, which is the right size. I room in old nine hundred people and it's got a wider screen than tall, but if you sit in the middle, you feel fully enveloped. And I loved it. I loved it. I've talked to several people who saw it in thirty five, and our experiences were really different coming out of the screen. I'm a believer that format matters. I do think it matters. How did you see it?
Speaker 3: I always saw it at the press screening, so I've only seen it once so far, and I believe the press screening here in New York was i'max, not seventy millimeters. I couldn't get into the seventy millimeter one. And I'm waiting to see it again because I want to see it in true seventy millimeters i'm ax, like at Lincoln Center here in New York, and that is like it's like sold out for weeks, so who knows when I will actually be able to snag a ticket and go see it. But I really want to see it again the second time, but I want to see it properly.
Speaker 1: Who is our MVP of this movie, non Odysseus version. Oh, I have I have thoughts, I have many thoughts. But I'm but I'm I'm here to hear as the round table stocks Rosie your MVP nan Odysseus.
Speaker 5: MVP of the movie.
Speaker 4: I think for me, I mean, this is not going to be a surprise one because I think this is a generally accepted answer, and too because I was already a fan of this person. But I do think it's the antinous performance. I think that.
Speaker 5: Is so funny. He's so weird.
Speaker 4: He encompasses what's great about the movie, which is this balance between that high camp of the fifties, golden era of kind of Hollywood, which is, you know, the moments where he's hiding behind the pillar, kind.
Speaker 5: Of screaming sword sword.
Speaker 4: You get him, but like not going himself, and but he also manages to be genuinely scary. The stuff with Telemachus doesn't or or how do they they be saying it funny?
Speaker 5: Yeah, hell Marcus, but they.
Speaker 4: All of us start vocal stemming that stuff doesn't work if you don't have rob as like a really good villain. And also, I think the other thing I love about him is he brings out greatness in other performances like his his co suitor, those were such petty haters, like they have that own following Toggins.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, so good.
Speaker 4: And then you know with Anne Hathaway as Penelope like this, she's so different when they're together, and obviously with Tom Holland so I think for me he's he really stood out. But there's I think you could really pick any of the cost from people who have two minutes to people who are on screen the whole time, and you could make an argument for a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Aboo, who is your MVP?
Speaker 3: Yeah, noan Odissey is. I mean, as a dog lover, my MVP is always going to be the dog shouts to my guy waiting twenty years to see his dad. That's gonna just I don't care how sappy that is. That's gonna get me every time. My real answer, though, is definitely who plays her. Samantha Morton as Circe. I love sequence just start to finish. She's so I couldn't look away, and it was also exactly what I wanted and at the same time totally surprising, and I everything she was bringing to the screen. I think I thought she brought the exact right kind of Circe to the screen. You know, I think you could have leaned to like hot babe Circe by casting someone like younger and hotter, and I think that would have been a weird take on it. But you also could have leaned too far into like old Crone, like ugly, gross old lady Circe, and that would have been the wrong take on it too. And this I think struck a really good balance. And the reason this was an MVP moment character for me is because I left the theater being like, I need a Surce movie. And if a few minutes Samantha Bordon had on screen convinced me that I need a whole two hour movie with her, she did it. Then she did a great jo.
Speaker 6: Yes, Chloe pick Malan Mill's book, Let's Go, Jason May.
Speaker 4: I just want to insulute with the nrty fact that I learned from watching a video that is relevant to that scene.
Speaker 5: Himesh Patel was talking with Waterstones.
Speaker 4: Or something I believe about the food eat ink scene right often how he was like, was it hard to eat?
Speaker 5: Was it not hard to eat?
Speaker 4: But what he revealed is that every most well, he said everything, but I'm sure that it's predominant. He said he saw all of the stuff of her transforming them. That was all practical. So when she was pulling the faces, when she was molding them, that was all done in front of him and he really saw it, which makes that sequence even more unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Of the Madeline Miller Sercey book too, And I feel like I got a little bit of that in this movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, d percent, Okay, this is like the hardest question to be honest, because there's so many people who.
Speaker 2: There's so many everybody is crushing it in this movie.
Speaker 6: So I speaking a genuine I think Himysh Mattel is a personal MVP. He is such a good counter to Odysseus, and then he's also so fine. I was just like the whole like, sorry to objectify that man, but what is that?
Speaker 3: For ten years? What's going on here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: The oil caid never ran out. He was fully prepared. But I think I think the movies MVP is John like Wizama. I think like Yumas is tricky right because he's gotta be a fierce warrior, but he's also somebody who's adjusting to a disability. He's also somebody who's like trying to train up this kid, but who doesn't have like a high status amongst the like royalty. Like it's it's a lot of layers to try to portray. And I think he's also the only person truly in the cast who exemplifies Zeus's law, Like if you look at everybody's like actions, he's really the only one who's consistently holding it up. Don't even get it out of Telemachus, you know, he's sort of there, but then he's fighting with his mom and like running off and not really thinking about the kingdom. Like mom's kind of their penelope. She's whole holding it down. But he's got her own like situation to figure out with all of these damn suitors and her son is an asshole. Uh, Like there's just a lot going on. He's the only one who's kind of anchoring this idea of like what does it mean to follow Zes's law? And then John plays him with such heart and such gravitas, and I really feel like he understood what movie he was in. Like to your point, what Robert Pattinson does so well is like the old Hollywood style of acting. I think John taps into that as well, and it's so, so, so excellent. What about you, Jason, Do you have an MVP?
Speaker 1: My MVP when I have a real MVP? That is like the version of my question that I asked, who I guess my MVP. I was also gonna play Samantha Morton. I think she's incredible.
Speaker 6: It's incredible just.
Speaker 2: Even the way she pitches her voice is so crone like, but also there's a warmth beneath the crone like manner.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna I was gonna go with I'm gonna go with Elliott Page as the Greek soldier who is tasked with telling the Trojans what the horse is and essentially being like the propaganda deliverer of this Greek psyop to deliver the secret like ambush weapon into the heart of the city, and obviously sinn on his lie to is not told the truth of what it is. Is also like kind of like not supposed to be there, like took the place of uh Antonius because Antonius is rich and paid another person to go his family's or but he wanted to go to be fair to him, he wanted he did want to go but zooming out.
Speaker 2: It's really.
Speaker 1: It's Nolan's like longtime casting director John pap Sidera and Nolan in general, because I think, and we talked about this in our original just Reaction to the Odyssey, I think Nolan is doing something really creative and fascinating in the way that he plays off of the audience's understanding of these people who are playing the characters. And I think we're doing it in a fascinating way and in a way that I don't think I've ever seen another director do it like this. And I understand that it seems like I'm reading a level of intentionality into it, but I don't think I am. And we talked about this, but like, just to go from the top, Matt Damon breaks out as a young whipper snapper boy genius in Goodwill Hunting, and this all culminates thirty plus years later in him playing the Elder Genius, an older, middle aged man genius within the Greek Army. Everybody says he was, you know, the cleverest of the generals, the most wily of the generals, and here he is playing on that earlier kind of explosion into the public mind and playing a more tortured genius, someone who is very clever but is now like bearing the weight of his own cleverness and what it is unleashed into the world. You have Charlie Stern, who's spoken a lot in many interviews recently about being single and being single by choice and not wanting to date and you know, certainly not being able to date within Hollywood and entertainment circles. And here she is playing a drop dead gorgeous single woman who ends up single at the end of it after having a Hollywood relationship, you know, with Matt.
Speaker 4: You know, like you know what I mean, like happily ever aft, like yes, you know stifashion.
Speaker 1: We have Tom Holland, who is most known in the public mind for playing a perpetual teenager in Peter Parker, who.
Speaker 2: In this movie struggles with being seen as a man.
Speaker 1: That's like his whole character's arc is like why people don't take me seriously like as an adult. You have John Berthall, who's I think it's undeniable in my opinion, his podcast persona and his real life persona really is he wants to tell the stories of veterans. He wants to platform veterans, on his podcast, he's always talking to like X Special Forces guys, former seals, former fucking Delta guys, and really like talking about what vets went through.
Speaker 2: And here he is in this.
Speaker 1: Movie as the most fervent king King of Vets, the most fervent promoter of veterans. He wants to meet veterans, he wants to meet the sons of veterans. He wants to talk about what the veterans went through. And he is the main proponent of.
Speaker 2: The fucking war was good because he actually.
Speaker 1: Can't look at he can't process being having gone through that experience and having it be a negative and just like it an absolutely incredible thing. This leg was Amo leg was Amo once again is like once again in a Shakespearean type role. Yeah, and in a I mean Nolan is a jokester too. Here he is once again in a movie that hinges on the death of a dog. I could play play the same kind of role in that as the person who explains.
Speaker 2: How bad ass the hero is John Wick, where the dog died.
Speaker 1: And set the whole thing off. And here he is in this movie You're Not My Master. When he gets back, he's gonna fucking whoop your ass, same character and then like here is the one that I think is actually Nolan at his funniest Okay, Colwan Marshall Green has been spoken of, has been spoken of for years as a as a.
Speaker 2: T Woo Tom Hardy.
Speaker 1: Yes, he took the Now the original person who is supposed to be in this movie I think was Cosmo Jarvis, who is another fake who has the new tim O Tom Hardy, who has actually taken the the he has moved Logan down a.
Speaker 2: Peg on the t Woo Tom Hardy hierarchy, and the and the fact that in.
Speaker 1: A Christopher Nolan movie he couldn't get Tom Hardy, so he gets t Tom Hardy and the second version Tim Tom Hardy. I'm sorry, but this man is operating on levels that we have never fucking sang before in a cat Yeah, casting perspective.
Speaker 2: And what's incredible.
Speaker 4: Jason, I'm glad you've been thinking about this more because just quickly before I thrit to Joel, I think this is also why it feels like an old school Hollywood movie, because when they cast Cleopatra and you have your Elizabeth Taylor or.
Speaker 5: Whatever, and her romance and her lover is she's a great lover.
Speaker 4: That makes it feel like she's the right casting choice, and that's what you're talking about now, Jason.
Speaker 1: And then you know, obviously there is the more direct and obvious versions. There's Travis Scott as the bard, you know, very in your face, like with the you know, the referencing rap as storytelling. And then there's like the one that for me, I think is the most affecting, which is Elliott Page who he puts Elliott right at the start of the mo like this movie starts with a black man in an ancient Greek story. First voice you hear is Travis Scott, and then it proceeds from that to Elliot Page being sacrificed on the beach as the soldier who the Greeks threw away. And I just think as a as a representative of the trans community.
Speaker 2: Like Christopher Nolan is doing deep work with this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that casting, to say nothing of the fact that like Synon's sacrifice is the emotional through line of them. Yes, Oassees wants to get home. He desperately wants to see his wife. He keeps the little token shout out to shout out to Christopher Nolan, loving little metal tooken.
Speaker 5: He loves that token. There's multiples in this movie, but that is.
Speaker 1: Like interwoven with delivering Synon's token back to Antinous and righting that wrong, which is like a I mean, it's it's very deep. None of this in the story, by the way, none of this in the Odyssey. So I think I just think for me, it's the casting and agree and what Nolan did with the casting and what he's saying with the roles m is.
Speaker 2: Is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 6: Can I cherry on top that?
Speaker 2: Yes? Too?
Speaker 6: Okay, So I've been watching a lot of the behind the scenes stuff. I tried to save it until after I saw the movie. And what's been really interesting to me is, you know, no one says famously no chairs, you must stand. No one will stand the whole time as well, everybody on your feet, you're ready to move. We're doing a lot, we don't have a lot of money, and now we're shooting with these giant, impossible cameras, so everybody always has to be ready. The other rule on this set was no phones. You have any phones on set. So they did an interesting thing in casting where they cast all of uh Odysseus's men there the whole time. So I think from from the beginning to the very end, it's the same group of men who's in that cast. Well, joe Banna depo will you it's there like this is a veteran like thirty five plus actors, actors who've been through the shit, who know how to play in the background but can give you that rich depth of texture in between the things that Joey, you care about these men, and I spent hardly anyone on one time with them.
Speaker 4: It's incredible, Joelle, You're so on point because also another thing I found out is the men.
Speaker 5: You don't know who you see in the boats. Those are the men who fucking built the boats, because.
Speaker 4: The boats came with their own rowers who were then dressed as part of the crew and became part of that veteran cost So when I heard that, I couldn't believe it. But you're right, Joelle, like every single part is so intentional.
Speaker 2: It really is. Joelle. Now that we've just go this film, yeah, you have notes, let's hear them.
Speaker 6: I have some thoughts, some thoughts. Okay, we can start with the women of to continue this line of how progressive this movie is and it really is. It is doing what I think every adaptation of the Odyssey tries to do, which is find a way to make it relevant to audiences today. That's beautiful. It's an anti war film. You guys spoke really eloquently on you know, comparing this to Oppenheimer and what the differences are there. Really appreciate Chris being like, I'm gonna write some women they're gonna live. Really, I just want to say, this is not a critique on that. That choice was a strong one, and we love it. I think perhaps a few more women might have helped you detail some things out a little bit in a meaningful way.
Speaker 2: Sirs.
Speaker 6: I have no notes, really, I don't know if that was just an actor to director thing or what was going on there or said the symbolism is so rich already in that text. But like, you do some interesting things with uh miss Helen of Troy, and you have Lapita. She's right there ready to act in this movie, and she's so pushed back and pushed under and pushed to the side. It's like to the point that it's almost maddening where you're like, because she I think because they wrote the character so that she seems not broken and and like ready to use her voice, and then they never give her the space to use it. She's clearly with the man. You know in the original text, we don't see sorry, her husband winds up a like disfiguring her lover. Right he gets her back, he's like, your lover's figured to dada, come back with me. It seems like in this text in the film, they're like, he did this to her face, which would have been a really great story point that I think a lot of people miss. I think it's subtly there. I think it's hinted at. I think it's kind of in the background, and it's I also think the film doesn't take enough time to be like, hey, that guy's kind of a dick. He seems like every other end to be fair, this thing is kind of saying men in war not great people. But I just like, maybe it's a little bit more light here. I also think that I love No One's heroes. Big fan of Batman. Really liked Inception and Interstellar is a beautiful film. All of his heroes have a very strong through line of being the most morally upstanding person who's just really struggling to figure out how do I do the job and make sure my family's good. How do I do both of those things at the same time. That's really hard, and that is a fine story a lot of people are going through. It is so divorced from the original text version of Odysseus that for me, I wanted and I think it then like kind of removes some of the responsibility for the actions he's supposed to be taking on so much at the end, if Odysseus is going through this journey, we need to see him make more decisions than just shoot the Cyclops monster. Again. I don't think that I need to see him get too into the battle. I need the innocence hurt. I need I purposely lead my men into a bad decision because of my arrogance. He makes some choice calls, but all the time, I think from an audience perspective, you're like, I get why he would have to be that, and you're always on his side, and it doesn't kind of put that distance between be like is this guy really the one you know? And I think that makes for a Richard text. I think technically this is perfect, and emotionally there's some deficits throughout the film, can.
Speaker 1: I lightly and this might I would file this under your mileage may vary.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why I so this is not a pushback.
Speaker 1: I think what Nolan was trying to do, or did with Lupita as Helen of Troy was do exactly what you said and show that she has deep thoughts and many objections to everything that's been happening in her name, and in fact, every time she tries to say something, James Burnt Doll's character is just like yay, and it leaves you being like, well, wait, what does she think?
Speaker 2: Wait? What does she think?
Speaker 1: Like there's even that moment where like she tries to say something about it and he just like comes over the top of her, And I think that's what he's trying to show, is this hell, Troy has deep objections and we will never know what they are because the.
Speaker 3: Fucking talking to Tom Holland and being like to you know, to tell your mom, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Like that part. I wish that had been a whole scene because I understand and I think that that works textually, But I think in the same way that I really really wanted Tom Holland's character to figure out how to be a different type of king. I wish his final like, oh, this is him stepping into his manhood. Wasn't a fight a physical fight, you know what I mean? The whole idea of him getting back. Don't get in the fight. You're gonna defend the gods. We don't need this kind of king. We need a different kind I feel like him at any point in time, being like I actually need to hear from her for a second, or differentialing or separating something more to allow for that, because yeah, I hear what you're saying, and it does work, it is effective. But I found myself really frustrated by it insane way. I found like, yeah, Tom's art a little lacking.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give I'm gonna give my tiny haircut because this is again the shocking before I throw to a book, because I really want to know your notes is are academic, Joelle. I have counted this already to you personally.
Speaker 5: I actually this.
Speaker 4: Is the perfect amount of women in a Christopher Nolan movie for me, because every other time he fucks it up, Like to me, I'm like, this is perfect. I'm like he didn't care. There's not any like horrible sexual assaults happening like on screen, you know my and that's like I was very I was like, you know what, if he can do like five minutes of each woman and it's like some of the best five minutes of women that we get like in his movies, I'll take it. My biggest issue again, Joell, I agree with basically everything you said, but also not gay enough, like just Cininically, these motherfuckers would have been fucking and it's R rated.
Speaker 5: But you know what, no strange sexy though, so that's okay. Aboo.
Speaker 4: What are your notes to Christopher Nolan and the Universal exec boards.
Speaker 5: On the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say my notes are not academic. They're purely vibe space, so I'm not bringing any sort of here's my thing. I appreciate all of you laying out why you love the casting so much, but I disagree. I do think we are reading into intentionality that is maybe not all the way there. Some of it feels like a bit of a stretch, Like I think we have to acknowledge that a lot of this cast are just like Nolan friends. They've been working with them for a long time. They're in his circle, and he likes to cast the same people over and over again in his films, and so like some of these people I'm sure have just sort of like ended up in a role because he wrote the screenplay thinking of them in mind and was.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, and Hathaway definitely.
Speaker 3: And Hathaway is like a prime sort of example, although I thought she was actually a really excellent and perfect Penelope.
Speaker 4: And does have fantastic meta context if you think about it, guys, misogyny going on.
Speaker 3: So you know, I think I had very minor issues with the cast, you know, And when I say that, it makes it sound like I agree with like.
Speaker 1: Wait, there's like one other than Anne Hathaway, who is the other regular Nolan Pattinson has.
Speaker 6: Worked with.
Speaker 3: Ash wasn't all the way back in the inception.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of these.
Speaker 3: Folks have been in like the Nolans of.
Speaker 1: Any of the You're not exactly like knocking down my theory. If you're not any of the people that I named, Jesus.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to knock down your theory. I just think we're reading a little too into meta commentary that's like very insider baseball l A, Like I don't know anything about Charliet Teron's love life and I have never cared to know, so if that is some commentary about calypso like that was utterly lost on me and I imagine lost on most people. Like a lot of the like meta meta meta commentary here, I don't know, Like it could be intentional. Maybe Nolan is doing that, but does it work for most people who like don't listen to John Brenthal's podcast. Probably not, you know, like.
Speaker 2: A huge podcast, massive, massive podcast.
Speaker 3: I still not massive enough. I think for the average person to know like.
Speaker 5: I am, we're gonna have to have Christopher Nolan on.
Speaker 3: Yes, And again like this is reading into his intentionality without like having talked to him or hearing him talk about it in an interview or something. So I don't know. You know, again, I'm not coming at this academically. I'm coming at this from a purely vibes perspective, and from a ViBe's perspective. There were some casting choices that took me utterly out of it, namely John Berenthal's Metal House like absolutely insane choice to cast him cast him as metal hows and to be walking around with Tom Holland in a forest like hunting birds or whatever and giving him fatherly like kingle advice. I would just not take anything in that scene seriously. And I just he didn't give king vibes. He didn't give mental aus vibes at all. Like I thought that was like a huge miscast And I thought he just kind of brought his punisher role to it. And I didn't think he did anything different than what I've seen him do in the roles he's known for him.
Speaker 1: I've heard I've heard people have the same have the same criticism of Travis Scott, like being like, well, he just did Travis Scott, which again is.
Speaker 3: My which could be the medical could be like my proof.
Speaker 1: That Nolan Nolan is leaning on our public perceptions of these characters in a significant degree.
Speaker 2: That was my point. Could yeah it.
Speaker 3: Made so Yeah. I think that was one casting choice that did one hundred pcent land with me. The other isn't a I'm going to get crucified for this, you are. But I also dropped in our signal chapter we all saw the movie that I didn't like Zandaa in this movie, like I'm sorry, like.
Speaker 5: Things you'll go get bullied like you're on this episode.
Speaker 3: I will say this is different from me saying I didn't like Athena's character and the big revealing I loved all of that. I loved, but I don't think Zendaia brought that to life in a way that I think like a more experienced actor, or in my opinion, a better actor could have. Uh, he's gonna get bing, like I'm sure does Look even even last night.
Speaker 5: How could you say that about Hnny? You love a booth?
Speaker 2: No, well, that's that's why. That's why it's too It's like a wrong desert, wrong sand, wrong road, that too, that too.
Speaker 3: Wrong road. That's that's absolutely true. Maybe there's a bit of dune there. But look like I I even last night, I was like, I put on Challengers and I watched Challengers because I was like, maybe I need to gut check myself about Zindia, like to like, am I just wrong about her?
Speaker 1: Watch a clearly clearly inferior movie and let's see if this does anything for me.
Speaker 3: The record, I love Challengers and I thought it was a spectacular movie, but.
Speaker 5: More gay for sure.
Speaker 3: But like I I was like, Okay, Zendeia is doing Athena in this movie as well, and like Athena and I just think like she kind of like delivers everything in the same way and says everything in the same way. And that's why.
Speaker 4: Your you like you just you just don't like his endaa before.
Speaker 3: I just don't like a Zendea performance. It all, it all kind of sounds the same to me.
Speaker 5: Apart from Achani.
Speaker 2: And so you're not you don't wait, you're just like a You're just let's.
Speaker 1: Baseline this because anyway we need to we need this context. You don't you're not a fan of Zendaia generally. Acting wise, I.
Speaker 4: Would say, so went uncovering, Okay, And it's not even that I think she's a salad actor.
Speaker 3: I think in roles where she where she like, it's a fit, she's good. But I thought this was a misfit and it and thus she stood out like sort of.
Speaker 6: Like at I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Be, how will be outside the Oscars with my cat like David Lynch trying to get her renomination.
Speaker 5: Before I know, I think I think it.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna no no notice. I did have some moments throughout there were a couple of moments where it was a bit perfume advert Zendaya for me, and I did think, But I felt like by the end, with the reveal and with that kind of moment, her final look at him, that to me sold it altogether and wrapped it up.
Speaker 5: But I understand that we've uncovered something here.
Speaker 2: About which is the the enemy's list grows. We've got you already, everyone and then all.
Speaker 5: Disagree.
Speaker 1: I think the difficult thing about Zendaya's role athena slash war Victim is that it needed to be a role that delivered a lot wordlessly, where you just look at this person and are and have a feeling, some sort of feeling about about just the image, the aesthetic, the strikingness of the guilt, the sadness, you know, just like she this needed to be a beautiful, striking person. And I think even within that, I don't know it worked for me, I guess, is all I'm trying to say. And I'm I'm interested why in a wordless role like it really is like she doesn't say anything, like hardly ever.
Speaker 2: She says a couple of things.
Speaker 1: When he's on the island, but really not much and not much throughout. She just kind of appears and is and looks forlorn and sad and then disappears.
Speaker 2: What was it that didn't hit? Like, what didn't she do?
Speaker 3: It was exactly, it was exactly those few It was those like two minutes of screen time, those few words she said. I was just hearing MJ. I was just hearing, you know, like I was just hearing her other characters. And I was like, Oh, I wish you had brought something more ethereal to this, something more godlike, because from the very start, I was like, Oh, are they doing it like an Athena thing?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: And I and all I was hearing was her other characters that I've seen her in and I was just like, Oh, I wanted you to push your range a little more here, And I personally didn't know, you know, And obviously I'm an outlier there.
Speaker 6: Oh, Because it's kind of like with the Agamemnon thing, like when he spoke, people have been talking about like how they felt that was confusing given the really intense armor situation, Like why God, he's like a regular guy, which is kind of the point is that he's just a man. He's as killable as any And I think that was sort of the thing with a lot of the rules. This makes me to a really interesting question I've had about the movie, which is are the gods real? And were they there? The film opens with this quote of in a time of apparent magic. The apparent is really strong to me in that like opening quote, and to me, I think he's sort of making this statement on like your belief systems and as in, these things are not real, but your belief in them makes them real. And then we sort of it here and hold ourselves to these things because aside from the hades of it all, and I guess you could say, like the cyclops and the monsters and stuff, it just seems like the magic feels not as Yeah.
Speaker 4: She's definitely magic. I think the question is where does the magic come from? Right? Like his just the weirdness of ancient times.
Speaker 5: I have to say, Joel, I did have the opposite reading.
Speaker 4: I feel like the reason I love this and I do think that apparent magic is an interesting choice, but I also think it's a very good get out so you can have these conversations.
Speaker 5: I love this because I.
Speaker 4: Feel like Troy and a lot of those other movies, they will never commit to the powers. They never commit to the magical heel or the crazy hair or the Cyclops or Medusa, and I think for me the fact that he went there.
Speaker 5: But I will say I have been thinking.
Speaker 4: About it more, and I do think that the argument you're making, because I'd been thinking a lot about how Odysseus is basically his own ruin, right, which we love a story like that.
Speaker 5: That's the version of this.
Speaker 4: So in that way, he feels like he's being punished by the gods, but really again it's just his own actions, right, And that kind of stuff I think is really fun. But I do think my reading is there are definitely true magical things in that space that are real, like the Cyclops, the giants, like those to.
Speaker 5: Me readers textually real. Yeah, Sacy, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, I've seen criticism that, oh, Nolan took all the magic out of the Odyssey, took the gods out of the Odyssey, and like it's not the Odyssey anymore. And I you know, I think for what Nolan was trying to achieve with changing Odysseus, changing the guilt that he carries, externalizing that as a thing that like, oh the gods did it to me kind of undercuts his Odysseus, his whole journey in this you know by the end he needs to be a changed man with the guilt of what he's done. And I think it's for example, like the cea people reveal is like less impactful if it's like, oh, well, Poseidon, it's because of Poseidon, or like, oh, Zeus did this thing and it happened to me. If you externalize the things that happened to you, then you can't be held accountable for them to some extent. And I think having the gods in this film would have undercut Nolan's like core message. I think he kept it internally. These are people, These are humans, and they made choices and now they have to live with those choices. You can't blame blame it on Zeus.
Speaker 1: I think everything My reading of it was that everything in the movie happened as we saw it. The gods exist within the reality of.
Speaker 2: This film, and that.
Speaker 1: If we're confused about the Zendaia part of it, whether she's Athena or not, recall that, like a big.
Speaker 2: Point of conversation throughout, particularly.
Speaker 1: At Odysseus's palace with the suitors, is be careful that gods can show up in forms that can at least be likely to expect. And I think Odysseus in a certain way is he feels that, you know, Athena had his you know, favored him.
Speaker 2: And I think he, I think, what.
Speaker 1: You know, other than an expression of his guilt, which is true and the impact of like, you know, his trickery on human lives in the city of Troy, I think there's also an aspect of you, you know, you like you fucked the game up by cheating like this was this was underhanded, you know, like the fairness that he shows the animals that he hunts, where he gives them a warning to let them know he's coming of strangers, and he holds himself to that, but he got impatient ten years on the beach and he unleashed this underhanded trick that didn't just kill everybody in Troy, but like cost the lives of one of his soldiers that volunteered for the honorable mission to tell the Trojans, like what this that this is a piece offering.
Speaker 2: And I think in his in I think Odysseus feels.
Speaker 1: That that woman that I saw might have been Athena and that I've insulted her by fucking the game up, you know, like doing this, like go doing this underhanded trick, which is against even the way that I hunt.
Speaker 2: Animals mm hmm. And so I think everything.
Speaker 1: I think everything that we saw happened as we saw it, you know, like all this stuff exists.
Speaker 6: I like that because she says that line where you know, he's like, why don't God speak in languages we understand? And she lists a bunch of very like simple, basic as shit, and it's like it's the statue falling behind me while this girl is sacrificed, not good Sarah, like I was trying to make it as simple.
Speaker 2: What we.
Speaker 6: This movie offered so much. I wonder, uh, just for you guys, is there a single best moment of the movie.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I do think I gotta go with a boo Like I picked Arpats because I do think he is like a standout throughout. But I think if there's I do think if there's one sequence that I like, if I had the DVD right now, I would watch that curse sequence like five times today Like that to me is and the cyclops. I think the fact they did prectical effects, it's it's like I grew up on Harry Housen. That for me, I saw that on the big screen and I was lost, like I am a Nolan Hayter. And my friend looked at me halfway through the movie and was like, oh shit, she had Nolan pilled because I was washed away.
Speaker 1: It felt like the Dark Crystal. It felt like however, it's like.
Speaker 2: Dark Ship, one of those movies that you would just would be on and you'd end up watching. I completely agree.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think thee get those Beckers out of here is a top like just straight like snarling, like it's my vocal stem. I'm just really about that moment.
Speaker 5: Liquors is so good. Yeah, And I agree.
Speaker 6: With you, like I think I was talking to you.
Speaker 5: I'm talking, yeah, snibbling, absolutely.
Speaker 6: Talking to my friend. And I do think agree with you, Rosie that the psyclop sequence, Like I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. When they start to run down the hill, I'm like, oh my god, what is happening? Like it's just it's so big and really good. But for me, nothing beats to Anne Hathaway close up. It's just such an iconic just from a diva standpoint, like I know the gay's love of monologue. This is the new one. Immediately I was like, all the games will have his memorized by the end of then, like she's on point cameras on point a ninety face of Anne Hathaway in your face, like it's just delightful. Looks so good, Earl.
Speaker 5: I also like the line, the line where she said, Tim, I would have.
Speaker 4: You locked them all in that room abu them, Oh yeah, bitch, feminine.
Speaker 2: Rage, Yeah, Rosie, what about you?
Speaker 4: For you?
Speaker 5: What was the you know, I'm a sassy a boo a boo Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think for me. We haven't talked too much about this in our conversation yet, but the sack of Troy sequence was just like chills, goosebumps, like shivers up and down my spine.
Speaker 5: Emotional faw of the movie.
Speaker 3: Ludwig is like cooking with the music in every single one of those flashback sequences yet again, yet again. I mean that Oscars in the bag undern I mean the just the Aura Farm as well, the gates opening for the first time, I audibly went, oh, because you just see you just see Agamemnon like Darth Vader standing alone in the darkness, and then the whole forward charges the gates. The sequence that they showed a couple of times in flashbacks, like him dropping the torch over the wall, and then in appear Darkness you see hundreds of great soldiers hiding waiting outside. Just chills every time we cut back to that. So I think like Sack of Troy was just next level Nolan.
Speaker 1: The sound, the lock mechanism that just goes on fucking ever.
Speaker 4: Trying to see. I also know, Joe you touched on this, but I also do. This is the kind of shit I love about the movie, right, It's like I read such a simple, but good, obviously correct read about that, which is like, the reason his voice is normal is because he is just a normal fucking guy, But the reason he looks like fucking devil batman is because to Odysseus, this is the guy who's the reason for his whole life being torn apart. He's a fucking monster. He's just a guy who didn't get his hands dirty and let so many men die like that kind of ship. Not only does it look cool, but there's emotional reasoning behind it. You know, there's there's fun reads. It's about perception.
Speaker 5: It's about his version of the story we're watching asolute.
Speaker 3: There was also equally like the fact that the guys are in there drowning. They're like, you know, all together this thing, Like I thought that was like as a kid in school, like you read the Odyssey and the the horse part is just like very normal. It's like, oh, duh, they hid in this little thing and then they popped out surprise.
Speaker 5: And the.
Speaker 3: Obviously, like I liked how this was, like, no, it was fucked up inside the horse, like all of these men are deeply traumatized from being inside this horse.
Speaker 6: I loved that it was not on wheels. They did have to stand it up, and they're shifting bodies. The geography of the landscape and side is still confusing to me, but I thought love the wise.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also want to say as well about the score, because Ian put in like that the pounding the entire time, and we shouted out Ludwig. I saw Chris Fan Nolan actually talking about this and he said, I can't remember the exact name for what he called the musical arrangement, but essentially it is that the way the score was written is once that it speeds up, it never speeds back down.
Speaker 5: So it's just.
Speaker 4: Continually always getting more and more stressful as you go through, and there's never a release, and obviously there's no orchestral, which is the biggest thing.
Speaker 5: He asked Ludwig, So here's some.
Speaker 6: Fun that's that's wishing about the music. They had to like craft deceased intruments that are no longer being made and we have no historical record of aside from like drawings and some like written things on slabs. They reconstructed a read. They didn't know, they're no reed survived, they're not meant to. So they had to reconstruct a read to play this instrument that hasn't been played in who many like we don't know how many thousands of years. And then also there was a liar.
Speaker 4: I had phil a Liah.
Speaker 6: That is the level of craft in detail into just getting the instruments right for the score mind blowing. And I believe I know he's going to get the fourth I think.
Speaker 1: The way there's gonna be, there's gonna be, there's gonna be many Oscars for this. There is no I mean, it's a stretch right now to imagine a picture that's not the Odyssey winning Best Picture.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm exciting, like I don't happens right now.
Speaker 6: Well, they tend to hold off on the trilogies.
Speaker 4: Not just I was Dune could do it, but also I do think, guys, just a big one is going to be the new Korean movie Hope, which is the sci fi movie We've been.
Speaker 6: Told every good things about the reason that.
Speaker 4: We can assume that that is going to be in the running is it was released in Korea this and they decided to delay the release until November in America. So they definitely think that there's potential for it to be in the running.
Speaker 5: So we might not have seen them, but Jason, I agree.
Speaker 4: I think this is going to be like a fifteen nomination sixteen nomination situation.
Speaker 1: My favorite moment from the Odyssey is Yes, Robert Pattinson's so all the suitors, you know, like Ohlbi is finally decided, Okay, that's it. Tomorrow I'm gonna come up with a test. Okay, and everybody who wants to marry me be there and let's figure it out. And then she sets it up and it's Odyssey's bow. You got to string it and you got to do like he did just at a casual dinner one a million times. He would just do this throughout dinner, string the bow and then shoot an arrow straight through like ten axes or whatever it is, and hits the target. And you know, the various guys are trying to do it, and it's it's, you know, very Excalibur coded moment, although obviously preceding it by thousands of years, and none of them can do it, and they're all getting mad. And then and then it finally comes down to uh, I forget what's his name, and finally comes down to Antonius, and he knows he can't do it, and instead of saying of chickening out or trying and failing, he takes this incredible high road where he.
Speaker 2: Gives this speech.
Speaker 1: Odysseus is a hero to us all, you know, the hero of Troy and many other battles. We none of us could ever take the place of Odysseus, and I won't try.
Speaker 2: I simply will not try to.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine trying to take his place. So just select the one who pleases you the most, and that will bring And it's this I said it when we do, when we at our initial reactions. He is so evil and so mushtas twirling, and so just like you want to punch him in the fucking face so hard a million times throughout this movie. And there's what this moment says is this wonderful thing of he understands also that he is disgusting and that his own vileness must be shrouded from people because his own instincts, that his own base psychology is so revolting to people.
Speaker 2: And he does it.
Speaker 1: With such precision and style that, as I said in the when I first watched the movie, I'm like, fuck, this would work on me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it would work on it.
Speaker 5: We would have picked him, and it.
Speaker 2: Just like has stuck with me. His ability to go from the most like.
Speaker 1: Cowardly evil, like kicking beggars in the fucking even their pants, terrible piece of ship person to.
Speaker 2: Like this high mind best of a bad bun. How did you know, like how none of us could a law to ever replace the hero Odysseus. It just was. It's incredible, it's amazing practice, it is so good, and he's getting nominated.
Speaker 4: This could be his first No, this could be his first norm for sure.
Speaker 6: Do you think it's rare that they do more than two from the same movie in the same category at the oscars. I think Best Supporting Actor could easily just be.
Speaker 5: They could do it in a little fashioned too.
Speaker 1: So as as we leave this movie, then let's go through it.
Speaker 2: Best Picture nomination.
Speaker 1: Yes no, yes, undeniable, yes, okay, Best Director no, undeniable.
Speaker 5: Yes he's a white man, he'll get the best.
Speaker 4: Okay, Best adapted yes, probably probably right to squeeze that one.
Speaker 5: And that's cheeky.
Speaker 1: Best score, Best Original I'll be best. Best Cinematography, I think, so competition here I need to think about I need to think about it.
Speaker 6: But too excited about these ticket sales to.
Speaker 2: The industry.
Speaker 4: Have a full Imax movie too, so I do think that will do. I think we could see best Cinematography this year, and maybe already have.
Speaker 5: Probably I will say on big screen amazing.
Speaker 2: Best Actor. Matt Damon. Does he get nominated?
Speaker 5: I don't, honestly like if I'm not that buff. But if he doesn't get nobodated, sorry to that.
Speaker 2: I could see him not being nominated, being like the one snub from this I could see.
Speaker 6: But if we look at Mammon's like history, he won an acting award, so he's just got the writing one for goodwill hunting a bunch.
Speaker 4: Of times beloved because of that good hunting stuff. So he could get a norm, but he might not win. It could be quite like a career, which they like to do.
Speaker 6: I will.
Speaker 1: That's why I think he is at this point the leader in the clubhouse, because they love they love when they love making people.
Speaker 2: Wait their turn.
Speaker 1: Yet this is the He probably won't get another opportunity like this unless you know, we bought a Zoo two comes out, all right?
Speaker 2: Best actress, I think I like it.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I think they might put her him for best supporting depending on what the.
Speaker 2: Because she's a.
Speaker 6: She's in a lot. But I also think they're not gonna hurt Samantha's chances of winning.
Speaker 5: Oh why I put them against should definitely win.
Speaker 1: Let's discuss now, best supporting actress, who gets the definitely got to go to Samantha.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, no, Charlie's definitely not.
Speaker 6: Charlie's did not choose to this role.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree. I don't disagree. Okay, Best supporting actor.
Speaker 6: I'll die before I.
Speaker 2: Know for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think Pats is going to be in.
Speaker 2: The Pats has got to be in there.
Speaker 6: I think John.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think both of them could get could be up against each.
Speaker 6: Other like it's it's it's impossible not to. But I think you have trouble okay because like the work Bill Irwin does. I know it's minimal, but it's so impactful to the entirety of the movie. It's that you would have unsung heroes Bill Irwin put in work Okay day.
Speaker 4: I think this could be a big year for this film in like secondary nominations and small like craft stuff too.
Speaker 2: I don't think, I think, I think, you know, like editing.
Speaker 4: Tomlin know he's sorry for him. I thought he had the juice, but it's not an oscar.
Speaker 6: But I do think Corey Hawkins death, he gets the arrow in the throat at the when Odysseus comes back, he's the first one killed. Uh applause breaking both of my screenings.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, people loved.
Speaker 6: It to be that evil and deceitful with the minimal amount of screen time he had. Like again, because Upper Patison is doing so much and because he has to be in best supporting category. It's really hard. But in in a week year where maybe other films don't quite show up.
Speaker 2: I'm.
Speaker 4: Well especially because the two of them are very much like part and parcel of the Rolls together.
Speaker 6: Feed off each other a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it could be a crazy year.
Speaker 1: I could see Holland not getting a nomination, and to be fair, I as so agree that it's not quite a nomination worthy performance, even though he is wonderful in the movie.
Speaker 4: He elevated himself to meet his other people that but he's not there yet, Like Anne Hathaway has been doing this a whole life.
Speaker 2: Though, I will say I think it will be.
Speaker 1: I think the narrative will be snub Town if he doesn't get one end day.
Speaker 5: I do think this movie don't do that to Tom.
Speaker 6: Come on, it will be, though, he because I think he elevated above what we're used to seeing, like he really pushed himself, delivered a fine performance. It's just even your voice.
Speaker 2: Going that high up tells me that you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It says it all when you're saying it was When you say it was fine.
Speaker 5: And your voice goes up an optive and a.
Speaker 2: Half, that tells me it's not a nomination worthy performance.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree, I think we all agree with that. But I think I think he I think you know, watch Nolan also say that it was a snub or.
Speaker 5: Oh, definitely he loves what Tom did for this role for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, folks, the movies are back.
Speaker 5: Oh Sam back, It's bad.
Speaker 1: On the next episodes of X ray Vision, we're diving into impending doomsday and comic Con news.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode. Bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 4: Our producers are Common Laurent, Dian Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi Our discorded moderate, though