Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds. And on Monday night, Donald Trump shared over one hundred and fifty brain rot posts on truth social We have such a great show for you today, The Majority Report Sam Cedar stops by to talk about Donald Trump's North Korean style press conference. Then we'll talk to The New York Times his own Ryan Mack about David Sachs and his double dealing in the Trump white House. But first the news.
Speaker 2: My the Republicans are in disarray. Elise Stefanic, whose aspirations are very large, about as large as her mouth when she's saying really racist and as long as public things. I was very very mad at the speaker today. How are you feeling about this?
Speaker 1: It's been a tough road for at least Stephonic and I don't hate it. You'll remember that last week Democratic Mayor elect Zori and mom Donnie went to the White House and Donald Trump threw a last Dephonic right under the bus, saying that she had called him a geh hottist because that's what you do in a campaign, and not because she's legitimately racist, which I guess is better. I don't know anyway, at least demonic. She's posting through it, and she's posting through it against the Speaker of the House, Mike Johnson, a lawyer who is known best for holding the phone when Donald Trump doesn't tell a rally. I don't know what's going to happen here. Look, he's got a very small majority. He is trying to do everything he can to keep control of the House. You know, you really see how having Donald Trump pick leadership and just picking the people who will suck up to him the best is really not working out so great. And so here we have it. Chip Roy argued that Congress should fully intervene a wide swath of issues in college athletics. Maybe we should fix the mess. I mean, again, these guys can't fucking do anything, so why are they going to get involved with college sports? It doesn't even make any sense. It's just very, very stupid. I think that we're going to see a lot more of these kind of problems that are you don't even think that can go wrong when you have someone like Nancy Pelosi in the job, and now we have Stephonic blaming Johnson for delaying and ultimately killing her nomination to keep the House GOP majority from further dwindling. You'll remember Marjorie Taylor Green is resigning in January. They're just in every point different sort of stupid things happening here that have gotten us here, and Stephonic has more bills she wants to pass. On Monday, Stefanic accuse Johnson of getting rolled by Democrats after Jamie Raskin succeeded in stripping this provision she wants. I mean, this is just like little backbiting in fighting, but it wouldn't be coming out on Twitter were these guys not in real trouble keeping the majority trying to pass stuff, and I, for one love to see it. By the way, this is Johnson said to a journalist. I don't know why at least won't just call me. I do. I texted her last night and said I would help figure out what happened. Again, Stavonik, being you know, the ultimate Trumpian move, she quickly shot back, posting on X just more lies from the speaker. This is his preferred tactic to tell members when he gets caught torpedoing The Republican agenda. I mean, just wild way to behave and pretty unusual. It's trump Ism has got to Congress.
Speaker 2: Yep. So this is a really interesting one. Costco is suing the Trump administration for a full refund of the tariffs incurred at their stores, which is quite a hefty penny considering how much inventory Costco moves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is pretty nuts. There are a couple of other companies that have lined up for refunds that are suing the Trump administration. Trump unilaterally put together these tariffs. He did it as an emergency order, whatever that means. The Supreme Court may say he has no right to do any of this. That is very possible, slash likely. Yeah, this is such a good example of how these private companies can in fact push back. They just have so far chosen not to. And here we have a really good example of a private company that is a huge retailer. And you know, we're still waiting. There's going to be a Supreme Court decision on this emergency powers law and we'll see, and you know, it may be that this gets repealed, that he has to pay back all the tariffs. The problem with having a president who does lots of illegal stuff is that you really don't know what's going to get ruled illegal by this court, and that's where Costco finds itself. But it's good to see that they're doing this, and probably this is the only way to push back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's interesting too because Costco is one of the most different business models when it comes to employees, is that they pay their employees much better than their competitors at a bit of very lefty organization, as lefty as corporations get. So this is a very interesting way of fighting back against trump Ism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, it's probably the best way to do it.
Speaker 2: Agreed. So another interesting move that could really really change our politics. One hundred former wallmakers have called on the House to band stock trading by members of Congress.
Speaker 1: Don't get my hopes up. I love those dock trading bans. That's like my favorite. You know, we were talking about it earlier, Like I love a stock trading ban. So let's hope it happens again. It's wildly popular. There's no reason not to do it. It's called the Restore Trust in Congress Act. I have a lot of trouble imagining that Republicans will passet, but you know, the former lawmakers to sign the letter. By the way, Tom Dashell, did gepart Olivia Snow, Fred Upton, sixty Democrats, twenty eight Republicans, two independents. Yeah, and look at the polling on it is wildly popular. There had been some machinations to pass something like this, and Donald Trump had said he wanted to cut out for the president. I mean, we have a president and executive branch that is doing corrupt things at a scale we've probably never seen before. Makes Tibat Dome look like Lincoln. So I do think it makes sense that you would want to have broad, sweeping reforms. But I also think that you're going to have a lot of trouble passing that in Trump world right now because for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: So the entire chain of command under Pete's hexas Department of Work could be held liable for the boat strikes. I think this is pretty interesting. It seemed like in that press conference to a whiskey, Pete was trying to put on a smiley face as much as he could, but really wasn't giving a good acting job. To me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. Donald Trump hates firing people at least in two point zero. He hates firing people.
Speaker 2: I must say, very ironic for the year fire. Yess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does seem to not want to fire. Hegseet though ultimately, sooner or later, this whole thing is going to, you know, killing the fishermen. You know, there's only so many Laura Lumer Pedagon press conferences. There's only so many times you could have Matt Gates in there asking fake questions and pizza Jack. I'm talking about that incredible, incredible Pentagon press conference today where they called on an entire media made up of MAGA to tell them how great they are. But I think eventually the bill will come due on this, and it's hard for me to imagine that it's not going to end pretty terrible. Sam Cedar is the host of The Majority Report. Sam Cedar, Molly John Fast Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: I just figured out what fast politics meant.
Speaker 1: What does it mean?
Speaker 3: It's your last name? Yes, I had not put that together. I was like, why fast politics? And then I realized, like, oh, okay, oh got it.
Speaker 1: When I start my own school of political theory, it'll be called FasTIS Oh?
Speaker 3: I like that?
Speaker 1: Yes, just like Trump's razor is that the stupidest explanation is always the right one.
Speaker 3: It's also the easiest one for him to reach for.
Speaker 1: So I actually believe that his North Korean style cabinet meetings where every member of the cabinet goes around and praises him are appalling, hilarious and also actually quite smart, and the Democrats should do them.
Speaker 3: I mean, it creates the mess of He's it's sort of like, you know, what it does is it reprises his role in The Apprentice, where everybody goes around and sort of placates him and looks like they're supplicating themselves to him. And in The Apprentice, to be fair, he never fell asleep, and this time around he did on multiple occasions.
Speaker 1: You know, I was reading this book. It's a very smart book of political profiles by someone whose name I will not mention because they are a serial fabulous and I do not want to give them any attention. But the writing is very, very good, and that's why I was reading it. And what I found so interesting about it is that it talked about Donald Trump as a seventy year old, and it made me remember that we have been doing this for an entire decade.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean sort of more when it comes to Trump. But I mean, yes, we've been doing for a decade. It is exhausting. But you know, we had a problem with politics before and we were just saying, you know, before the show, like people forget that Mitt Romney made a big, big production of coming to New York to kiss Donald Trump's ring and get his permission in his impromatur. I mean then that was in twenty twelve, and so you know, Donald Trump was one of the intellectual pillars of the Republican Party. All of the birth certificate stuff, the brother stuff was he was the main tent pole for that, and people forget John Bayner wouldn't push back against it. This is well, you know what this is. This is a Republicanism that has been around, I would argue for close to two decades plus.
Speaker 1: And you know, if you want to go down that rabbit hole of the America First Movement, I mean you can you can parse it back Pat Nickson, Pat Buchan, Yeah, I mean, but even Nixon, I mean even you can go further and further back. I mean, you have Republicans supporting horrible dictators for you know, the.
Speaker 3: Last Democrats, Democrats too.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you're talking to someone who's the granddaughter of the last living recipient of the Stalin Peace Prize. So people make mistakes. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's true, people make mistakes. But also I mean I think, like you know, the we've had when it comes to foreign policy and being supportive of dictators, that has been largely a bipartisan project in many respects.
Speaker 1: But it stops today with Pete haig Seth bombing fishermen in the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: See here's what I find stunning about this story. This has been going on since September second, and we have heard virtually nothing, and now you know the issue is and I sort of, I mean, I sort of understand this dynamic. I don't want to be sort of Pollyannish about this, but the idea that it's only occurring to people now that this is a crime, like I don't even know if it's a war crime. People want to argue it's a war crime because once you attack vessel or the enemy, and if they're in a boat, and if there's any chance of them surviving, you're not supposed to double tap. But we're not at war with these people. We don't even know who they are, so it's not a war crime. It's a crime crime that is being committed on top of a crime.
Speaker 1: I laugh, to keep from crime, and.
Speaker 3: With alute no substantiation as to who they are, no authority even if they are who they say, who the administration says they are, and there's no reason to believe that. I mean, we were told they were going into that building in Chicago with the Blackhawk helicopters and they were basically putting Latino people in one moving truck and black people in another moving truck because that whole place was full of trend to Agua and there was none. And so there's only for us to believe them about this. But even if we were to believe that they were trend to Agua in these boats that were incidentally both on the Pacific and the Caribbean, there's no authority to you laterally bomb these people. Yet we haven't heard a word about it, and now it's just coming out as like, you know, because there are some Republicans who decide that they see this as an opportunity to get rid of HEG Sith, and of course heg sys is throwing his uh you know, is admiral under the bus. This is like three months overdue in my estimation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah. And also I mean they very likely are fishermen too. I mean there's there's the illegality of the war, which is maybe not a war because it has in Congress hasn't said it's a war. And then there's also just the fact that they're probably not even those people anyway, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, but who would you who would you declare war against boats? Like well, honestly, like like these are fish to not that there has any been any reporting on who they are, right, there's a lot of evidence that it was just uh, fisherman. But the United States is going to go to war with a gang. I mean, now there's no like, there's no authorization for this. It's absurd.
Speaker 1: You know what I think though, is the most interesting part of this is that in Trump one point, oh, we always see Trump is like a master of sequels, right, he cares a lot about So in Trump one point, h he had this idea that he was going to go to war with Mexico, remember that, And he wasn't going to go to war with Mexico. He's going to go to war with the cartels in Mexico. So I think this is a continuation of that. But it makes me wonder about the government in Mexico and how they managed to distract Trump with a new government, because like, do you remember all throughout one point, oh, he was like going to go to war with Mexico, And now Mexico has a woman president sort of she's kind of a cutout, but and she's sort of pretty, and now he's not going to go to war with Mexican.
Speaker 3: I think it's frankly, it's because I think they have stopped immigrants from traversing through Mexico. This is my guest, and I I've seen some reporting of about this, but not much that they've you know, essentially shut their borders to uh, Central America, at least for people, you know, for immigrants attempting to get to the US. And so I think he's happy with the amount of immigrants that are not coming into the border. And I think there's also like a I don't know who's driving this compulsion, if it's Rubio or what, but there's a serious compulsion within his administration to overthrow a Maduro in Venezuela. And I think there's probably you know, two projects, you know, only one project at a time in that region that he wants to pursue. I mean, that's why there, that's why he's bombing these boats. It has nothing to do with with drugs. And not even ten percent of drugs that enter into the United States are coming from Venezuela. I mean, there's just.
Speaker 1: Now that's just coming from China.
Speaker 3: It's a complete pretense. And when he brought Juan Guido to Congress, I can't remember what year it was, Guido got a standing ovation for both sides of the aisle and he clearly he was not the president of Venezuela and he's never has been since. So you know, Trump, I think has they want Venezuela and oil, and that's what I think a lot of this is all about. At the end of the day, I think he says as much, almost.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the Congress because Mike Johnson, I am really enjoying this, the misery that is Mike Johnson's life right now. He had he's fighting with a least aphonic on Twitter. He has got this special election in Tennessee. It's in R plus twenty two, it's happening. So when people listen to this tomorrow, they will be they will know if it Democrats probably will overperform. How much we don't know enough to make Donald Trump tweet about it and call in on the phone. And it just seems to me, you know, he has a four or five seat majority, he has all these specials coming up, he still has another year before the midterms.
Speaker 3: I think this race is going to have a lot more relevance as a special election than most because putting aside the first order issue of like this would flip another seat, and he has a dwindling majority in the in the House, and put aside you know, the sort of like the tea leaves that people read from a special election, it's a you know, it's a Trump plus twenty two district. You know, you account for some Democrats are going to be more motivated in a special election than Republicans. But that's also case on the on the midterm. But I'm convinced that if ban gets in there, like within like let's say four or five points, or wins for that matter. But if she gets within four or five points, I think you're gonna see another two or three resignations or retirements, I should say, maybe even a resignation of House members, because if she's gonna overperform by seventeen points, again Trump, this with with with all the deployment of all the money, all the Trump I mean, most Congress people are not gonna get that much attention in their midterm races, and from the national Party and from Donald Trump. You've got a lot of people who are gonna be like, I don't want to spend the next year fundraising or running against somebody in the primary who's gonna be a pain, then running in the general election. And even if I win, which means I have to overperform what I did in the twenty twenty four election by ten fifteen points, I'm gonna be in the minority. And so I think there's gonna be if this is even remotely close, I think they we're going to see more resignations.
Speaker 1: Frankly, yeah, And I mean we already saw Marjorie Taylor Green is out in January, which is like a huge fuck you when you have such a small majority, and then you have members of Congress using discharge petitions.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so let's talk about Jeffries has actually put together a discharge petition. I'm not sure about the Obamacare premiums, trying to sort of get that together. I mean, it seems unlikely that goes. But Republicans don't have some other healthcare idea.
Speaker 3: No, and you have you know, some Republicans like you know Lawler, and you know, like New York Republicans, probably some California Republicans to the extent that they're going to exist as exist the redistricting.
Speaker 1: Who darryl Isa, darryl.
Speaker 3: Isa suppose're gonna run in Texas. You know, it's possible you get a couple of Republicans to sign on to something like that because they know they're going to get destroyed, you know, as these healthcare premiums go through the roof. I mean, it's going to be really debilitating for millions of people. But it also speaks to, I think, in many respects, the failure of parts of the Affordable Care part of the Affordable Care Act, right, it was the Patient Patient Protection Affordable Care Act is what the official name was. And the patient protection's pretty good. You know, you have, health insurance is a better product now than it was in twenty thirteen. But the affordable part. No, not so much, and hopefully slowly the Democrats will get to the point where they realize, like, we need to have a fundamental shift in the way that we pay for health insurance in this country, and that it'll be a single payer system. It's just more efficient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm wondering if you think that, like there's any way in which like Trump clearly sees this coming. Members of the House understand, I mean, people see you know that we so Trump said We're gonna like, let's extend the premiums and basically let's do what Democrats wanted. That was last week's drama, and then members of the House were like, fuck, no, we're not doing that. But the but it is, if you wanted to not get completely creamed in the midterms, that would be really the only way to do it. Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think the problem is is that you have so many of the Republican lawmakers who are in such polarized and safe Republican seats. You know, we forget, this entire movement was built, you know, at least part of it on voting to repeal Obamacare, and the idea for them to like do a full one eighty one. I think it opens them up to primary challenges in their districts. And two it I think it you know, opens them up to charges of being you know, rhinos and the margins are so thin. I think it's wrong these days to look at at least the Republican Party and frankly on some level of the Democratic Party, to look at them as the first lens being their party affiliation on things like this, because I don't think there is a if they wanted to do something. I think it's a bunch of individuals who are making the assessment as to what helps them in their district first, and what their brand is, and you know, what their relationship with their voters are. So I think it's hard to you know, assess like if the Republicans were smart, they would have done that. If the Republicans were smart, they would have done this, they would have just brought it to open up the government. But you know, in those things, they don't function as a hive mind. They all, all of them as individuals know that. Like I made my bones on arguing against Obamacare, I can't fine off on Obamacare on anything. I can't validate it in that way. If the members of the Democratic Party were more aggressive, they would take any capitulation by Republicans on this and walk the other distance, you know, the other direction like the Republicans would.
Speaker 1: They don't do that, though, Yeah, if only they were more aggressive.
Speaker 3: I mean, just think there has been a significant portion of the Democratic Party which is vehemently against any type of expansion of Medicare. We could have done that during COVID, could have said, if you've lost your job and you need health insurance, we're going to expand Medicare temporarily. Nancy Pelosi fought that tooth and nail, and instead we subsidize Cobra, which possible efficient for a dollar for a dollar a way of providing health insurance to people. I mean, just incredibly, it's the most expensive way. But I think that was done as a way of maintaining the sort of fiction that we can't expand Medicare for people under the age of sixty five. I mean, that's absurd. It's the more you expand it going down in age.
Speaker 1: The cheaper against because those people don't need.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so, I mean everybody knows this, and but there's just too much. I don't know if it's there's a reason for ideological stuff. It's both.
Speaker 1: Probably there's a reason that Canada doesn't want old people coming there. It's because it's very expensive the healthcare, whereas if you're younger, it's cheaper because you don't have to And I think that's a really good point. And also I just want to add, if you were going to bring up Nancy Pelosi, who was in many ways a great fighter for the cause, the most important thing now is to ban congressional stock trading, because that is something that we opens the door to trump ism. Right, it's not as bad, but you get when you have members, you know, but when you have members of members trading stock, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, the only downside is is that, you know, those people who use an app to shadow Nancy Pelosi's stock trading and have made a killing off of it will feel bad. But yes, of course, I mean we're just watching the complete like sort of monetization of of our government. And you know, this is the thing if like you've ever been involved in like small town governance, it's it's the same dynamic. You know, people people become the city councilman or all the people or whatever, or sit on boards because it's an extension of their business. This is the way I network. I'm going to throw this county grant to my friend who does food distribution, and they're gonna give me a deal on this. And that's what Trump is doing, you know, but doing it on a national level. And the inside insider trading that takes place with congress people's is a perfect example of this. Yeah, it seems to be to be a no brainer, and I think when she's gone, it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Sam Cedar, will you come back, of course anytime. Ryan Mack is a journalist at the New York Times and the co author of Character Limit, How Elon Musk Destroyed Twitter. Welcome to Fast Politics.
Speaker 4: Ryan Mack, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about David sax in the micro and the macro right, because like David Sachs is both a guy who found himself in the Trump administration, but he's also like a larger example of things that the Trump administration is doing that are not subject to the normal ethical anything. So I want you to first talk about David Sachs, the investor Slash cryptos are slash ai.
Speaker 4: Zar, who is David Sachs. Basically, yeah, So David Sacks is a born in South Africa guy that came to the US as a child, went to Sanford University, linked up with Peter Teel at Stanford, worked for The Stanford Review, the libertarian newspaper that Peter Teel founded, and then was an early employee of what became PayPal. So he's part of the PayPal mafia, this famed group of entrepreneurs and investors in Silicon Valley that have gone on to create, you know, other companies, and you know, over the years, has just become a fixture in Silicon Valley. He's you know, founded companies. He has a venture firm called Craft Ventures. He's established himself as a podcaster as one of the four members of All In this podcast about tech and politics and culture that is very popular with you know, the tech crowd, and recently became a kind of close associated the Trump family. A recent Trump supporter. Eventually was named as the AI and cryptos are of the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: So historically in administrations you wouldn't have people like this because so David Zax besides being a podcaster, he's also an investor in many, many, many companies that actually will benefit from his job in the federal government.
Speaker 4: When you first asked a question, I was like imagining like Woodrow Wilson having a cryptosar.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, or even like having a railroad zar, right, or I mean who also was a Carnegie, which is basically what this is.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: There certainly have been people from the private sector that have gone into government to advise or lead cabinet positions what have you, Rex Hillerson for example, in the last Trump administration. But this is a very unique position for one. David's sex as a special government employee, which means he's not a full time employee of the US government, and he's not sent and approved in any way. There's no congressional approval. And it's really a new position, this position that the White House created to essentially what they call, you know, keep the US as the leader in AI and crypto globally. And so his job is to facilitate anything that will help, you know, the US artificial intelligence industry or the US cryptocurrency industry, while at the same time he still maintains a position as a venture capitalist, the leader of this venture fund that invests in crypto related companies, and invests in AI related companies and that is very unique.
Speaker 1: So he's advising on something and also investing on something, and he has portfolio companies that could be pipped as winners or losers by his job in AI and crypto right.
Speaker 4: I think he would argue he is not current investing, but he certainly holds hundreds of stakes in AI related companies and crypto companies. You know that we've gone through with his financial disclosures, and yes, so as he is helping to influence policy as it relates to AI in the White House or cryptocurrency, the very companies that could benefit from those policies are the ones in his portfolio or could you know? And that is typically been a no no in you precedented times.
Speaker 1: I guess it's technically an enormous conflict of interest to have somebody who's serving in the government while also owning parts of companies. He is perhaps dolling out, but I mean, again, nothing new for Trump world. We saw Trump the administration, the federal government took a share of Intel, and then right afterwards Donald Trump bought between one and three million dollars of debt he personally bought it in Intel. So we are seeing conflicts of interest every which way in this admin. But I'd love you to talk about what we're you were surprised about when you were reporting the story.
Speaker 4: App What I was surprised about was this was kind of all in plain sight. So basically, David Sachs received these two waivers, an AI waiver and a crypto waiver in March. That said, it was the White House that gave him these waivers and essentially acknowledge that there could be some conflict of interest, but his value as an advisor outweighed those potential conflicts, or you know, the things that he held were so small he couldn't be conflicted by them. So, you know, all we did was kind of go through these waivers and analyze what he continued to hold in terms of his his stockholdings and his private holdings. You know, he has he has shares in these private companies and some of these are clearly AI companies, are clearly companies that incorporate AI into their everyday business. For example, he is a shareholder and Palanteer, which is a major government contractor. He is Craft Ventures as an investor in and Erroll, one of the leading drone defense companies in AI companies led by Palmer Lucky that is, you know, signing government contracts and right. You know, all this was kind of just there to see, and it wasn't like he was necessarily hiding it. You know, It's just that no one had ever taken the time to go through these disclosures and analyze what was going on here, and some of it was just so again, I wouldn't say blatant, but like in his disclosures he designated somebody these companies as software companies or hardware companies, you know, in order to say, you know, these aren't AI companies, therefore I should be able to hold them. Some of those very software companies had AI literally in their names, like more than forty I think is the calculation we did. Something like Tesla was designated as a hardware company in these waivers, and Tesla, you know, has a self driving car AI. You know, it's central to the business. Elon Musk has described the company as an AI robotics company, and so in some ways it felt I don't know, disingenuous might be too far, but you know, there was you know a certain kind of smoke and mirrors to it in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you don't have journalism and you have such a small world of journalism versus Trump. One point out the world has gotten so small and there's so few outlets. There aren't that many people who have them wherewithal to be able to chase down just what the disclosures mean and what they look like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think having worked at various other places than The New York Times, it is discouraging to see, I guess, the lack of options when it comes to well financed and well resourced newsrooms. You know, this story took months for us to do. It has five people on the byline as well as a number of people that contributed reporting and research. You know, that's that's a big investment to do in a big investment by this newsroom to examine something like that. And I think if you'd ask anyone on the street, Democrat or Republican, you know, you probably you'd want the press to, you know, scrutinize this type of power, whether that you know who levers in the administration. So, you know, the New York Times has the ability to do it. And it's sad as an industry that we don't have other folks that have those kypts of resources.
Speaker 1: I guess one might argue that Bloomberg has the resources and that the Washington Post may or may not have the you know, there are a few other places, but not much. Right, Really, nobody has the kind of resources at the Times has.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess, you know, and that's kind of the stay of journalism today.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about what happened next, because David Sachs completely melted down and had all his friends circle the wagons talk to me about what happened next.
Speaker 4: So we published our story on Sunday morning, And to be honest, I didn't know what to expect in terms of the reaction to the story. I mean, he's certainly a big name in the White House, but he is not a household known by any means. But yeah, there's been a big reaction to the story in large part field by the reaction on X. And these tech folks are pretty big on X now that Elon is taken over, and they made their opinions very clear on the piece. You know, they've called this all sorts of names and attacked a reputation, but haven't been really able to dispute the merits of the story or the actual reporting in the story. But that cycle has gone on for the last couple of days, and it's I think draw more readers and attention to the story itself, which you know, something called the stress end effect. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's a great example of like the power of not posting through things, right that if you really have power, you probably want to not post. I just wonder his crew said, it's a hippiece. But ultimately, what you did was follow the disclosures, find the companies, match the companies. Obviously, Tesla is a company that uses AI. Like there wasn't like a huge amount of hiding going on here.
Speaker 4: That was certainly one part of the story, and it relies on those wave reforms, which are public documents for anyone to see. I think what's really interesting here that we really didn't go over is, you know, David Sachs, in taking this position, did somewhat say like, you know, look, I'm actually potentially conflicted here, and he did divest from certain shareholdings, divested from Meta Amazon, Taiwan Semiconductor, which is a mixed chips for AI companies, and he said he was going to divest from Xai Elon Musk Company. So there was almost an acknowledgment here that you know, I probably should do this because I'm taking this role. But he left hundreds of the other stakes on the table, and it was just you know, took a bit of organizing and spreadsheeting and going through that some of that stuff to realize that, you know, that that was kind of an incomplete picture of what he divests or probably you know, someone argues she should have divested.
Speaker 1: I'd love you to talk about sort of what you think is happening right now with this White House and AI and Crypto.
Speaker 4: At this point, it's I view it as in some ways a reaction to the Biden administration. And you know, the tech industry viewing the Biden administration is so antagonistic and so over regulatory to the point where they'd support anyone that had a lighter touch. And so when the Trump administration came in with David Sachs, the idea is, you know, we need someone who can remove the red tape, who can get out of the way, who can you know, create policies that encourage the A industry and help us build and help us grow, that can encourage things like the Genius Act, which you know, allow for stable coins to be sold in the crypt industry, that allow for easier trading of crypto assets, and so that's what they're essentially getting someone that is, you know, rubber stamping everything that these companies want. David Sachs's feelings on AIRE are pretty widely known. If you look at his x account, he's calling it, you know, the driver of the American economy. We can't you know, he said, like, we can't have the a industry fail. And his policies and his actions and his speech reflect that very much.
Speaker 1: So can we just have a real conversation about AI for two seconds? Can you explain to me just as someone who maybe I'm stupid, but AI has yet to do anything good for me.
Speaker 4: There's two camps I think on this. You know, some people that don't use AI at all in their daily lives, and millions of people around the world that do you use chat, GPT, or do use Claude or Gemini for drafting of emails or writing speeches or what have you. So there are seemingly real world applications for these things, and they help people in their everyday lives, whether or not they're these like insane valuations that we're seeing. They justify that is, you know, remains to be seen. But yeah, you don't use opening eye, or you don't use chat, GPT or anything, or you're not making memes or no fake images.
Speaker 1: I'm not making slop that I can you know, kill the planet with. And I mean I just I spend so much time trying to read out crap that wasn't written or drawn by a human that I've become very anti AI.
Speaker 4: Have you had AI slop made about you or like shay I trained against your voice or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I hope not.
Speaker 4: It's probably out there.
Speaker 1: I try very much to like keep my blinders on and not like Google myself and not I just because I don't think it does me any good. Elon Musk also took an interest in this story. He also was a special government employee who managed to do as much as it install. His people in the government do a lot of stuff that certainly seems on the boundaries of legality. What do you think of.
Speaker 4: That, Elon? So I'm going to cover regularly. You know, David Sachs is a close friend and associate of his who worked on the Twitter takeover with him, and so I felt like it was natural for him to weigh in and then defend his friend. He doesn't like critical reporting or pretty much any reporting at this point, so it's not surprising for him to join in the name calling and the mud slinging. I think it's very interesting to distinguish between the two of them, though, you know, you mentioned they're both special government employees. But Elon went in flamed out, really hard fought with Donald Trump, and he's sort of on the outs in some ways. You know, at least he's at arms distance now from the Trump administration. With David Sachs, he's been able to play in both worlds. You know, he's very close with Elon. He's obviously very close to Trump and Trump administration still in the administration, and he's been able to kind of play this very political role and please everyone in a way, and that may be you know, his best quality in some ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so interesting. Brian Mack please come back of course anytime. No, normlutely, Jesse Cannon my junk fast.
Speaker 2: So it seems we're going to go to war with Venezuela for oil, but in the meantime, we're gonna pardon former Honduran President Jan Orlando or Hernandez, who did a lot of the things that they're accusing Maduro of. What the hell's uppling here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to keep consistent when you have no ideology. But Donald Trump is doing it. Yeah. So here's the thing. He wants to stop drugs, but he also wants to pardon drug dealers. Make it makes sense, it doesn't. He formally pardoned former Honduran president. He did it. It's a full and complete pardon. This is a guy who is raising a major US drug trafficking conviction for a one time US ally. He was sentenced to forty five years in prison. I think that Trump is going a little pardon crazy. But you know, it's amazing any Republicans are still in jail at this point. I like that. Carolyn Levitt, whose job is basically to defend the Indiventivill said, it's a clear Biden over prosecution. I bet it's not. I'm gonna say it's not. Yeah, So killing Fisherman okay, Pardoning drug traffickers also, okay, make it make sense? It doesn't. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: M