Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man hero.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the man Well, hell yeah, welcome back to the mail room.
Speaker 3: Me and Jordan Renta.
Speaker 2: I know that's not grammatically correct, hanging out and talking about all things men's health. Do you ever get a song just stuck in your head where you just can't get it out of men?
Speaker 3: I know this is a thing. Does this happened to you at all?
Speaker 4: Jordan's all the time as a former music journalist. This is definitely it's a hazard.
Speaker 2: Right, You just realize I got a little ditty there's a thing. Yeah, and me too as well. And sometimes they're good songs. And I don't want to mess anybody up because I think what I'm gonna say is a good song. So I don't want it to get in anybody's head in a way that they can't get it out and they're gonna curse me. But you remember this song by Nana in the eighties, the ninety nine Red Balloons. Oh yeah, you annoying, annoying? Yeah, And it's like you and I toy shop with a bag of balloons or the money we've got I don't know why, but that's such a little it's not even pentameter. Itau's but such a great little ditty. It's just that I can't get that out of my head. And and that song. I don't know if you know, because you were a little bit younger than I, but that came out in the sort of the very height of the Cold War, and it's basically about nuclear destruction and mutually assured destruction and war games with Matthew Broderick, and you know, messed me. That kept me up at night the day after that apocalyptic movie that came out on TV that was I guess supposed to scare us into uh into submission.
Speaker 3: Well, that kept me up at night. But do you know what else keeps me up at night? What's that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the worry about patients that have to get up to pee at times. I mean it's terrible getting up at night. Nocturnal urine agency. What I did there that was so smooth.
Speaker 4: As long as you need the erna's like atting you.
Speaker 3: Up in the middle of the night, That's that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a man of a certain age, but but I know, how often is okay? And how often is not okay when I should seek medical help? And I think that's going to be somewhere in there. You're gonna find a title and you're gonna make this clean and squeaky and ready for prime time. But but we're going to talk about yeah, just you know, when is your nation normal? In other words, like everybody got a pe uh, and when is it something that you should find a doctor for? And So what I thought we'd do today, if you're game for this, is I thought I would be your human AI medical source where you're going to ask the questions that that you're going to put into your search engine. And then instead of having somebody comb the literature and the popular media and then give you a sucact answer, now I'm gonna give you, you know, an actual human physician response from a board certified urologist. So I am your doctor Mills GPT, at your service.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, I have done a little bit of research academically, but also physically. I've got my giant thing of iceed coffee and my leader of water right here.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Yeah, so you're you're priming your kidneys for what they do best. We hope I love it well, So yeah, so let me let me give a guy a little bit of an understanding of how the whole process works. And it's a pretty amazing process. I mean it starts in the brain with a bunch of hormones that regulate the fluid.
Speaker 3: Balance in our entire system.
Speaker 2: And so basically, the kidneys are pretty amazing organs and we probably should dedicate in a whole episode to them because they keep the blood in acid base balance, so they have this perfect pH. I can tell you my thoughts on alkaline water because I don't think we have any sponsors of alkaline water. But spoiler alert doesn't really work. If you need alkaline water, it means your kidneys aren't doing their job. Because that's a beautiful thing about our kidneys is you can drink vinegar, which has a pH of two, and you could drink well, I wouldn't recommend it regularly, but you could drink baking soda, which has a much higher pH and still end up with a nice, verily well balanced urine that tends to be a little bit on the acidic side. So that's the first thing the kidneys do. But they also process fluid. You already have a question. I'm looking at you, so I do.
Speaker 3: This is me being a word.
Speaker 4: If you need alkaline water, it means your kidney's are doing their job. Conversely, if you drink a lot of alkaline water, does that have a harmful effect?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: No. And by the way, yeah, if you have if you have acid demi or an excess of acid in your bloodstream, drinking alkaline water is not gonna do anything. It doesn't work that way. An acid base balance is controlled both by our lungs, our respiratory system, and then also our kidneys. So no, The bottom line is that you can drink things, and you can eat things with an incredibly low pH or an incredibly high pH, and the kidneys have an amazing way of exchanging hydrogen ions across a very complex system within the meat or what we call the prank of of the kidneys to balance it. So by the time it gets to the bladder, your urinary pH is somewhere on a normal level between five point five, which is acidic up to it really doesn't get much above basic of seven point five because most of us carry an excess acid base or acid in our in our baseline diet, so In other words, if you eat kind of a normal American diet full of meat and protein, that tends to be a cidic and so you have to kind of get rid of that acid.
Speaker 3: And the way you do that is through the kidneys.
Speaker 2: Eventually, if you drink, if you have a very vegetarian diet, then actually that's one way that you can alkalinize your urine. We're gonna have an episode on kidney stones too, where we talk about how important it is to manage acid base balance. I'll bring in one of my expert guests and friends and colleagues for that sometime in the future. But the bottom line is that that you know, drink water and it doesn't have to be it doesn't have to be alkalin and the health benefits have never been shown in any clinical trials. To do anything other than I'll spend a lot of money and look cool at the gym, which again is totally fine, and you should do that, and I promise I won't I won't alkaline water shame you because you're doing what makes you feel good, and that's that's what.
Speaker 3: This is all about.
Speaker 5: Brother, I have another water based question.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry, man, this is fine no, no, no, none of these are ones that I prep but I'm addicted to seltzer water.
Speaker 5: I'm a New Yorker. It's kind of one of the things that we do.
Speaker 4: And I have heard mixed reports on what whether or not seltzer water is completely fine same as regular water or.
Speaker 3: The right a CO two.
Speaker 4: It could be bad for you either I've heard, either internally or for the teeth.
Speaker 5: Teeth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's kind of the same thing.
Speaker 2: And I love the whole teeth thing because you know, unless you're gargling it or switching it around, then then the amount of contact time your teeth has with anything, whether it's coffee or wine or seltzer water, it's probably not going to do that much. And so really the teeth should be pretty well excluded. It's a thing that I hear, you know, from some dentist all the time. Another Dannis say, Now, there's no absolutely no data to show that seltzer water erodes.
Speaker 3: You're enamel.
Speaker 2: It's acidic, sure, CO two, but again, your your body's able to handle that, and and it's probably better for you than say sugar sodas that that I have so much sugar in the that it is really going to be what hurts you. Though those also have seltzer water, they just also have sugar. So so no, I mean, I remember years ago people would pour coke onto car hoods and say, look how bad soda is for you because it erodes car enamel, Like, well, you're right, you know, reason why is that your car doesn't have kidneys. If your car had a kidney, it would say, hey, I'm going to look at this and I'm going to dialyze this off and.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, So so that that's the deal. So drink, drink whatever you want within reason, and celtzer water is probably a lot healthier for you than than sugar, sodas and other such things.
Speaker 3: So I'm cool with that. Totally cool with that. All right. So then you make urine and it stores in the bladder.
Speaker 2: So now we're just going to completely bypass hours of renal physiology and say your bladder is basically a storage muscle and that's really important because in a guy, and that's what really going to focus on today. Although a lot of this you can translate to women minus the prostate, which is really what we're building up to here. But the bladder is simply a muscle that it starts very small when it's when it's decompressed. In other words, that after you pee, it shrivels down to this tiny, little, maybe fist size organ that that's hollow in the middle. It just kind of collapses in on itself and waits for you to make more urine.
Speaker 3: And so as.
Speaker 2: We look at the pathology of urination, we break it down into two phases. We break it into storage problems, and then we break it down into elimination problems. And a storage problem means there's something wrong with a bladder where it doesn't it can't fill enough. And you hear this all the time, I have a shy bladder, or ever since I was you know, twelve, people made fun of me because I had to pee all the time. Some of that could be pathologic and that they truly have a storage problem where their bladder just never developed to the point where it can capacitate what we would consider.
Speaker 3: A normal amount of urine.
Speaker 2: And again there's really there's not really a set define urologic baseline for what is normal. But in general, most bladders should hold about two hundred and fifty mili liters, so a little bit, you know, less than a twelve ounce can of soda, So that's a about normal before you say you should go pee. Some bladders can hold leaders literally leaders of viurine before they have to go pee.
Speaker 3: That becomes pathologic.
Speaker 2: So somewhere between a can of soda and a leader of soda is where normal bladder capacitation should be for an adult. So that's a storage issue. If somebody is not able to expand the bladder muscle because there's something pathologic, either neurologically wrong or muscularly wrong, then that's a storage issue. And those people are going to present mostly with what we call frequency and urgency symptoms where they're peeing all the time and like they got to go, and there's a there's a classic classic diagnostic indicator we call the key in the door symptom when basically, if your brain, and this is where the brain takes over, knows that there's going to be a urinal around somewhere, then you have this little socially appropriate signal like, oh, it's go time and I got to pee. For older guys, this is one of those things where you will know exactly where every bathroom is in public places. If you're in the mall, you know, oh, it's on the first story in that department store behind shoes, and you almost have bladder maps that you've worked out, and God help you if it's closed for cleaning, right because you have that key in the door that I know, I'm aout right open the door and there's going to be urinal on the other side, and I got a peek. So those are mostly storage problems or frequency urgency, irritative voiding symptoms. That's the number one issue of what we look at. The second is voiding or elimination, where then you can have problems with when you actually start the flow of ur and it doesn't come out so well. And that's also what we call obstructive symptoms. So a little side note for bladder and prostate anatomy is that. And we've talked about prostate and a whole other series with prostate cancer, and so the side note here is that basically the prostate does two things to guys as we get older. It either gets bigger causes obstructive urinary symptoms, or it gets cancer. And that's about it other than still being an organ that makes semen and therefore.
Speaker 3: Part of sexual pleasure.
Speaker 2: So if you have the symptoms of where yeah, doc, I can hold my ear and just fine. I don't have frequency and urgency, but when I do find a good place to pee and I let her.
Speaker 3: Rip, it just trickles out.
Speaker 2: That means that you have a force differential between what's going on in the bladder where the bladder muscles contracting, but yet it's hitting what we call an obstructive process. And there's two kinds of obstructions. There's a fixed obstruction where it doesn't move at all, and then there's a more variable obstruction, which is the prostate land itself. So best definition, and this is something we don't see very much anymore. But the most common fixed obstruction and a guy is a urethral stricture. So urethral strictures were the bane of early urologists. Existence is because the most common cause of urethral stricture is really, up until the nineteen forties was on area and gonerhea was such an endemic condition globally than so many guys suffered from it women too. Obviously, it didn't affect the urethra as much in women, and it was.
Speaker 3: It was really the.
Speaker 2: Cause of a lot of medical innovations, which again I'm glad you're sitting down for, and I don't want to ruin your summer vacation with talking about these tools of the devil, as we say, but there are all kinds of strictural dilators that they really do look like torture devices of pewter made steel made straws basically that you grind into the urethra, which is as you know, since right there in heavy real estate, right in the penis to get that structure open so guys could bee. It was miserable and miserable and people would die from it there die from infections, they died from kidney failure, and so it was really a bad deal. And in fact, really the only treatment for that was to bypass that stricture surgically and do what's called a perineal urythrostomy, where again it would put a guy up in a frog leg position, get four of his best friends to hold him down, get him just absolutely shit face drunk, and then take a hot metal rod and stick it right behind the testicles through the paraneum into the bladder, and then just let it drain.
Speaker 3: And that was the that was what we made up.
Speaker 2: Then we called that term dorsal lithotomy because you were up on your back with your legs up in the air, kind of like a pelvic exam, and it was to get the stones out of the bladder, which can happen to the guys that have chronic emptying issues, and they would die if they didn't get it, and the unfortunately a lot of times they would die.
Speaker 3: If they did get that procedure.
Speaker 2: So it was a huge, huge issue in eighteenth century, all the way back to the times of Galen and Hippocrates actually that eurethral obstruction and death from bladderstones from urethral and prostate destruction was a thing. So we come a long way. But that's a fixed obstruction. So getting back to the prostate, as I said, it's not necessarily a fixed obstruction because the prostate is a muscle and a gland. And the best way that we look at at prostate as we age is that it almost everybody, it gets bigger, and it gets bigger and bigger as we age, and there are ways to treat it, which we had talked about episodes ago with doctor Wayne Brisbane in one of the most common ways is to shrink it through a hormone medication called detastoride or finasteride, And we talked about and a multiple.
Speaker 3: Episodes because a lot of side effects, a lot of benefits to.
Speaker 2: Those drugs, but the bottom line is that shrinks that glands. It's not fixed anymore, and it allows better emptying of the bladder because you've relieved some of that obstruction. The most common medication we use for BPH benign prosthetic hyperplasia, is something called an alpha blocker, and an alpha blocker just hits the muscle receptors in the prostate to open it up temporarily, and so you have to take that every day essentially forever, in order to keep that muscle relaxed so you can pee better.
Speaker 3: That's the non fit construction.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing that most people when a guy comes into the dock and says, hey, I'm getting up at night to pee one time, two times, four times, they say, Oh, it's probably your prostate. And if you don't ask the question, if your doctor doesn't ask the question about whether this is what we think of storage issue, meaning it may be a bladder problem or whether this is an outlet issue, meaning an obstructive or a avoiding problem. Then a lot of guys come in and they're on medications that don't work because they're treating a prostate issue, and in fact, a lot of guys have storage problems and they have a lot of intrinsic bladder issues frequency urgency that aren't really looked at. So that's the kind of the easy bladder physiology prosta physiology one O one. But the wheels come off in a lot of different ways. And one of the ways they come off is that if a bladder is chronically blocked over time from an enlarged prostate, then it can have problems with storage and it can either cause frequency and urgency because because the bladder is a muscle and the prostate, if it enlarges, causes a higher pressure or what we call an outflow pressure. It gets to the point where the bladder has to keep working out, it has to keep stronger and stronger, and at some point the bladder can wear out. And so that's why getting your prostate looked at and making sure that it's not getting too big and causing that obstruction is so important. Because there are guys that can end up with what we call an in stage bladder, and this is one of these warning signs that we worry about in medicine where you and it's happened actually twice in the last week to patients of mind that I was seeing for other issues that had been kind of doing just fine. They both ended up on a long plane ride to Europe. One was in London, one was in Paris and called the office saying, Hey, I can't pee, I'm in an er here and I need a catheter. And that's because they got out of their normal urinary habits and they weren't maybe getting up on a twelve hour flight to pee. And then some of them, you know, if you take a sleeping medicine to help you get across the Atlantic, that can make it worse. And then all of a sudden, you know, you need a cafe in order to avoid No. Thankfully, for the guys that I still see there, they don't have an in stage bladder. They're they're fine because we caught it early. But there are guys that ignore it to the point where even if we do do something to their prostate open it up. Either surgically, which again we're gonna have an amazing episode on or medically that bladder can just give out, and then those guys are gonna need to figure out how to drain their bladder with a catheter really for you know, potentially the rest of their lives. So so again a big, a big thing that that urination is normal, which is I'm sure one of the questions you're gonna ask me. Uh, you know, you should be peeing every few hours during there in the daytime and at night. You should be able to sleep through the night, you know, well into your fifties without getting up. We do have in our diagnostic codes actually where we where we try to say, here's a guy, he's coming in for nocturia, which is the fancy name for getting up a night to pee. If it is greater than once, then there's a separate code for that, and so so I guess that's normal. But again, if a guy's like Doc, I get at once, I can't get back to sleep, you know, then we have to start looking at sleep disorders as well as you know, at looking at the prostate. And still we're going to try to address the eurologic issues before we look at some of the other things that can get you up at night a lot to pee, Like diabetes is still one of the things that man that's a medicare as a disease. It gets involved in all parts of urology. But some guys pee so frequently because the sugar causes you to make more really poorly concentrated urine, and you got to pee all the time, you know, because you have diabetes. So you got to get that checked out. And then heart issues as we get older. The other amazing thing sometimes is a urologist that I get to diagnose is early stage heart failure because they come to me maybe they just they don't even see their primary doc, and like, oh, I got to see a urologists because I'm getting up a night to pee and I look at their ankles and they're they're not ankles anymore. They're cankles and they're these big, fat, swollen lower extremities. That means that they're not mobilized and they're fluid well during the day because they're up and walking and gravity is not being kind to them to get that fluid mobilize in the minute day live flat. Their heart doesn't have to work as hard, kidneys don't have to work as hard, and all of that fluid they make during the day that their heart isn't metabolizing ends up in their legs and then eventually gets to their kidney. Then all a sudden, they're getting up three or four times at night to pee. So we got to make sure they're cardiovascular systems okay as well.
Speaker 3: And there's a list of.
Speaker 2: Other things, but those are really the big the big things that I see eurologically on a day to day basis.
Speaker 3: So that's your lecture.
Speaker 2: We did it, and I don't know about eighteen minutes or less with some questions, but now, yeah, I want to be your engine. I want to be your search engine. Type in something and see what computer Jesse, doctor Jesse can do for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I hadn't written this one down, but just listening to you, I thought of it. We keep hearing and I believe we touched a little bit on this in the episode with Doctor Brisbane. The episodes, I should say, the Procett episodes. We need them, but we keep hearing about how you know you prostate and largest as you age?
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 4: Can you touch a little bit about why that happens?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I made the sad joke about the fact that it's you know that unfortunately our penis doesn't get bigger as we age, but our prostate does, and it's under the same hormonal control something called DHD or dihydrotestesterone, and and the receptors in our hair follicle for DHD and the receptors in our prostate for some reason, don't shut down as we age. If anything, they kind of ramp up, which is why the older we get, the thinner our hair gets, and the older we get, the larger prostate gets. But they do shut down in the penis somewhere, you know, post puberty, where all of a sudden that doesn't start growing, which I think is a good thing up to a certain extent, as you can imagine how fraud that would be.
Speaker 3: A thing's just getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
Speaker 2: And all of a sudden you have kind of a jack and the beanstalk phenomenon going on.
Speaker 3: You'd be careful what you wish for, right, But the.
Speaker 2: Truth is it is all hormonally mediated, Jordan, and we don't know exactly why it's important to keep those DHD receptors on as we age. Really no known understanding of that except for that, thankfully, we do have medications that can block that, albeit with side effects, but that is still considered A first line agent is blocking those receptors so that the testosterone that gets converted into the DHD and therefore the prostate growth, the magic dust that makes the prostate grow, you know, can stop turning off and then actually it does involute or it does actually shrink the prostate, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: That was a pretty amazing discovery thirty odd years ago.
Speaker 4: I mean, I keep thinking back what you're saying earlier about the key of the door phenomenon, which is something you know, all of a forty five minute commute or something, and I'll be completely fine until I'm walking up the stairs.
Speaker 5: It's in my apartment, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, commuters have this thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I when I ask the guys and I screened them, you know, about their urinary symptoms, I say, well, you know, how fuen are you driving? And you know, LA is famous for our freeways and famous for our congested freeways.
Speaker 3: On the west side of town where I live.
Speaker 2: In practice, it's the four oh five, which is obviously made it into Saturday Night Live lore is how to avoid the four oh five at certain times a day, Right, I take the ten to the one ten.
Speaker 3: The four oh five sign is also.
Speaker 2: A very hyper local way of saying, well, you know, when do you get that urge to pull off the four five because you just can't.
Speaker 3: Hold it anymore?
Speaker 2: Or have you ever pulled off and just you know, found an old gatorade bottle or something and just let her rip into that, and the guys will say, oh, yeah, that's happened, you know.
Speaker 3: And that to me is pathologic.
Speaker 2: Urgency, and to the point where there are guys that actually don't leave their their house or take surface treats because they don't want to get caught on the four oh five and or whatever.
Speaker 3: Your local event of the four h five is the l I E.
Speaker 2: And so I think that, I mean, it wasn't good for Harry Chapin, it's not good for the commuter.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it's too soon.
Speaker 4: Yeah said, that's a deep cut music lord reference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're coming home down no time soon?
Speaker 5: Oh god, I've last some taxi later for him.
Speaker 2: Oh god, man. We could go on and on. So uh yeah, but but that's it. You know that that's the Those are the signs that you're you're in trouble, and so those are pathological in themselves. But also, I mean, I have to say as we get older, and we talked a lot about frail tea, and we talked a lot about the importance of testosterone and men as we age, and we had that whole episode of Admiral Christine talking about the ports of testosterone and frail tea, which means, you know, when your muscles get weak and your bones get weak and you get a little unstable, that can kill you urologically as well. I mean, if you the number of guys that end up in the emergency room because they get up at night and they stub their toe and they fall over and they break a hip or they break a back or something like that is not zero. And once you break a bone and you're older and you're kind of frail, it did. It's a kind of a time clock in terms of the number of guys that recover, the number of guys that need long term rehabilitation, and then the number of people that I can actually die from complications from hip spine fracture. And so it does become more than a euro logic issue getting up at night to pee. So some of the pointers, especially for our guys or older guys out there, is, yes, make sure you have a little night light in your bathroom so it doesn't affect your sleep. But give yourself a little runway so that you know how to get to the restroom at night. Make sure that you don't have your clothes or your dog or something on the floor between you and the night room, and that you have a clear pathway, because that's the worst thing in the world. And I'll tell you one other crazy little pearl is that that the most common medicines that we prescribe for men to to help them pee is what I said. It is the alpha blockers, and there's non specific and there's specific alpha blockers, and then the specific alpha blockers or things like tam Saloson, who is kind of the most common solodosins, another one elf fuses And actually that's all three of them, not trying to show off or anything, and they all are a little bit less guilty of causing what we call orthostatic hypotension, where when you get up too fast, it can make you a little woozy, and you can fall. The non selective ones, which are old, old, old school, they all have a much higher rate of that where you know, can you imagine if your doctor gives you a drug says, hey, I want you to pee better, I want you to sleep through the night, and oh yeah. One of the side effects is it can make you kind of dizzy and make you kind of unstable when you first get up and in the middle of the night. The first time you're on it, you're like, oh, this is great. I only got up once tonight, not four times. But that one time you get up, you get dizzy, you fall over, you hit your head, you break your hip. You know, unfortunately that doctor didn't do you any good. And so it becomes its own side of fact. That is, you know that you're trying to you're treating something, but you could cause an entire additional pathologic process with that. So no free lunch, man, no free lunch in the pharmaceutical industry.
Speaker 4: Now this is kind of a broad question, but what are some everyday factors that can worsen urinary symptoms? Caffeine, alcohol consumption, any histamines, decongestion, Oh man, holding it too long, I mean, are there any things that you really want to give a general PSA about the warm people of Hell?
Speaker 3: Yeah. In fact, it was actually funny.
Speaker 2: The guy one of my one of my guys I was telling you about that I just saw again for totally different eurologic history, peronies of all things that we just talked about. He was a guy that got that got stuck somewhere between New York and Paris with with urinary retention. And it was I said, well, you dude, anything different, you know, I mean, we knew he had some prostate enlargement issues other than the whole plane ride. He said, no, I I this is the craziest little meta, whole you know, doctor house moment. But he changed underarm deodorant because he went to like a long acting when he's like, I'm going to be in Paris is going to be hot.
Speaker 3: So we went to this new deodorant and that.
Speaker 2: Set off allergies and cause all this rhinitis and stuff. He knows, and so he doubled his allergy medications to combat the deordorant that he changed to. So we could go to Paris and not stink up on Lemitroux with you know, with one hundred degree weather paris Is and that was probably enough to put him over the edge that in a long time flight. But yeah, antihistamines and especially the cold medication pseudofedrin, they're actually what we call alpha agonists, so they work exactly opposite of the alpha blockers we just talked about, tam solos and solidos and alfusis, and they can cause the muscles and the prostate to contract to basically cause those two big oak doors that the prostate act on your bladder to slam shut, and they work exactly opposite what happens in the nasal urban it. So you take those to open up the nasal turbatants and let more airflow in, and by letting more flow in the nose, the same receptors cause that prostate to contract to the point where it's harder to peete. And antihistamines have a little bit less of but still a known side effect of that, they can actually cause the bladder to have what we call an anti or a colinergic effect, where basically the bladder muscle doesn't contract as much, so you don't get that push you need. And so if you combine that with a little extra prostate tissue that causes a little extra outlet obstruction and the bladder's not working as hard. That can cause yourn air retention as well. So it's kind of nutty. It's really amazing how quickly the cascade can set off.
Speaker 3: Caffeine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can definitely increase temporarily you need to pee.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Caffeine in general has a half life of about six hours and for most people, and so so definitely, you know, you don't want to be drinking coffee too late in the day for both obviously the reasons you know, can affect your sleep, but it can cause you to pee a lot more frequently. In alcohol has that same it has that same hormone effect of or diuretic hormone effect of causing you to want to pee a little bit more, and so more than.
Speaker 3: Just the volume of alcohol.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, if you're drinking beer not whiskey, you know, one ounce to twelve ounces, then obviously there's going to be some volume effect of drinking a dilute source of alcohol. So so both of those very well known effect and so yeah, I mean again it's the same thing. You know, you want to limit your alcohol intake before bed is not good for your sleep. It messes up your sleep cycles, doctor Shgari told us a long time ago on our podcast. And it also can mess up your urinary habits just because it causes so much more urine to be made.
Speaker 3: So those are two things.
Speaker 2: And in general, yeah, the whole idea of sleep hygiene is important, meaning that if you have a problem getting up at night to pee, then trying to limit your fluid intake right before bed is important. And there's no good rule of thumb, but you know, generally, if you can, if you can really hold even if you have to take medicines right before bed, just a little sip of water. But if you can give yourself a couple of hours, you know, so you go to bed at ten, Yeah, just take that last slip of sip of water around eight. It's amazing how little things like that actually can help. And and then if that doesn't, then again go in and see your dog, because there there could be something else going on that that she could help you with.
Speaker 3: If you if you have sort of a good global.
Speaker 2: Perspective about what's going on, making sure you don't have diabetes, making sure your heart's ticking away just fine, and then getting into your logic sources.
Speaker 4: Now you talked earlier about incomplete voiding I think is the polite term.
Speaker 2: Yes, or incomplete emptying. Yeah, yeah, actually both. That could be front side backside of guest boat. So yeah, we'll start with the front side.
Speaker 4: What are some sort of hazards of that. What happens when you're in repeatedly remains in the bladder. Can that damage the ladder, the kidneys, increase risk of infection?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so that that's sort of we got back to what I got on that prehistoric almost tangent about Galen and Hippocrates, but the right I mean, so the most common thing that happens is that the bladder if it doesn't empty every time you pee. So say that you have two hundred and fifty milimeters in your bladder and every time you go you get down to fifty. That's pretty good, you know. That's what we call a post void residual of fifty mili laters. We don't get worried about it. But if that fifty turns into one hundred, at that hundred turns into two hundred, then two things are starting to happen. One is your bladder is insidiously capacitating more to the point where instead of getting that urge to pee when you have a can of soda in there so that you know, three hundred milli liters or so, then you will all of a sudden say, hey, you know what, my bladder's getting stronger. That's a good thing. I can hold it better. The most common professions I worry about are you know, Buckingham power guards or I mean, I don't know, but I imagine they stay standard, They stay straight for what eight hours at a time, you know, unless they have a catheter or a diaper.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I worry about those guys. Military policemen in our armed services generally, you know, just police detectives on stakeouts, firefighters, people that can't have immediate access to to restrooms because of occupational hazards. I mean, there's a term of almost respect and a thought of the of the term nurses bladder in veteran nurses where they're like, I can hold it for a whole shift, you know, that's almost like, yeah, I'm stronger than the other nurses.
Speaker 3: I like, no, you're not.
Speaker 2: That's really bad for you, Like, it's great that you're so dedicated to your patients or surgeons that do twelve hour cases. I mean there's sometimes we're scrubbed in for twelve hours without a break. You know, if you do that once a week and then the rest of the time you're you know, you're actually living a relatively normal urinary existence. Okay, you can get away with it, but other than that, it's not cool, you know, to not void on the regular. But so that's one thing is your bladder can go into what we call myotonic failure, where it capacitates to the point where those muscle fibers are so far apart that they can't contract. And I always use the analogy that if you try to do a bicep curl with your arms straight out, it's really really hard because your fibers are already at their most extended, and so any amount of weight is going to be tough to pull in.
Speaker 3: But if you pull that.
Speaker 2: Bicep closer into your closer into your body and you're at about ninety degrees instead of one to eighty am and then you can curl for days.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: If your bladder is so extended, then it's hard for those muscles to actually form the cross links they need to do their job, which is to contract and push urine out, and so that's myogenic failure. The second thing is that that concentrated urine will start to accumulate solids that normally you pee out calcium, magnesium or the two big ones, phosphate, oxalate, all of these things that can form bladder stones, and you will get a chemistry environment within the bladder where you will have more of the dissolved material than the bladder, the urinary or the water that is in the bladder, and that material will form into stones. And sometimes bladderstones can be as big as your bladder. They can completely cause the bladder to have no storage capacity and you're making the new urine that's coming in is just going to be surrounded as a shell around this giant, fist sized stone, and that's where you can get in trouble, and those stones can become infected. So yeah, basically those are the three horsemen of the bladder apocalypse, which is myotonic failure. Bladderstones and infection and myotonic and all three of those things can lead to the fourth horsemen, which will kill you and as renal failure and so.
Speaker 3: One of the ways that if your bladder.
Speaker 2: Has that myotonic failure, those pressures will get transmitted up to the kidney and the kidney doesn't really love high pressure systems, and high pressure systems it will cause me either from blood pressure problems, which is one of the biggest causes of need for dialysis, and can you failures high blood pressure. High bladder pressure also can kill the kidney and lead you to renal failure. And that's you know, that's ridiculous in this day and age. Unfortunately, it still happens with guys that have poor access to medical care that they can get to the point where they go into renal failure from bladder obstruction. But you know, I've seen it multiple times in my career. And again I'm not avoiding specialist anymore. Really, even though I'm a urologist, my career is so specialized, and yet I still see it on call. I still see it, and some of my guys are seeing that are coming for me for other things and so so yeah, that's a huge PSA right there. So yeah, you gotta go on the regular man.
Speaker 4: I imagine that's something we'll touch more on on the kidney stones episode too.
Speaker 2: M m, yeah, stones are fascinating, fascinating things that can happen in our bodies. We're like oysters, except for they're not quite as pretty when we pop out at pearl.
Speaker 4: But probably more expensive in the long run.
Speaker 2: Wow, well put, yes, thanks to the American healthcare system.
Speaker 5: Yes, my last question before we wrap up.
Speaker 4: I know on an earlier episode you very beautifully discussed the physiological ballet that occurs when men climax. I wanted to ask you a similar question for when we suddenly feel the urge to urinate. What is actually happening? What is the tipping point in the bladder?
Speaker 2: I love that actually, and there's a little bit of a correlation between in guys, between climax and urination, so we'll hit it.
Speaker 3: So, So there is this, this.
Speaker 2: Is cool part of the brain called the central pontine Pictorian complex. And I didn't even practice that. I just let her rip the first time since I took my boards twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: I came out all right.
Speaker 2: But that is that your urinary trigger where it sends a signal, it's probably pressure and hormonally based to the prefrontal cortex, which is the part of our brain that controls volitional behavior. And that's what potty training is right there, is that you get an internal signal and if you're party trained, then you know, you just let her rip in the diity, right, and then mom and dad clean it up. And that happens until you know, however old we are two three, and then that prefrontal cortex takes over to the point where then you understand people are telling you that this is a socially appropriate time to urinate. And it happens at all mammals, right, especially you know, house trained mammals. So we do the same thing with our animals. We developed that prefrontal cortex to say, yeah, you can't pee on the floor. We got to get you outside. And eventually that socially appropriate trigger happens in mammals as well, I mean in non human mammals. And so that's the first part is the brain says, hey, dude, it's time to go.
Speaker 3: So then you say, cool, I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: And then because I am potty trained, I'm going to unzip, pull down, take off my jog shorts, whatever I got on. That's blocking the socially appropriate flow of this golden liquid. And I'm gonna stand over the toilet, and then the relaxation phase happens. And so the first thing that should happen is your prefrontal cortec controls what we call your external urinary sphincter, which sits and guys just on the other side of the prostate. And when you let that skeletal muscle rip, which is down deep in the pelvis in the kind of the very back part of the front of the urethram, if that makes sense, at also right right there in front of the prostate, that says, okay, cool, I'm going to let this sphincter open, and then you start to get that the trucer contraction in the bladder, and the muscle just goes and if you have no blockages, no strictures, and no big prostate, then it just empties all the way to the point where the urine is fully empty, and that that sphincter you don't have to really think about it. We'll just kind of close on its own, because you know, you're potty trained. So that's the the urinary process in a in a nutshell.
Speaker 4: I really didn't consider the neurological or I guess I should have more or even just the psychological component urination too well.
Speaker 2: Right, and there is because a lot of times, I mean you know, there are there are pediatric problems that that called dysfunctional avoiding where some people will ignore that signal. But it's also kind of the same as you know as my truck drivers, my Buckingham Palace guards, of which I've seen zero in my practice, but obviously you know, don't spend a lot of time over there, but they they can figure out how to potty train to the point where they ignore that signal. And instead of that what we call first urge where you're like, you know what I got to and guess what, there's a restroom right here. I'm gonna let her rip to you get that first urge when you're on the four or five and you're in an hour's worth of traffic, you're like, you know what, I get a pee? I can't, so I'm gonna ignore that urge. And then you know, an hour later, you pull off and you find the nearest in and out and you go get a double double end. You let her rip, and then you get back in your car and you get back on the four or five and you're stuck in the traffic for another hour to the next in and out or wherever you want to stop. And in Buckingham Palace, you know you do that at two hours you think I just started my shift. I got six more hours of this, and you just let her ignore and you ignore and you ignore, so you can actually override to the point where you can go into your near retention and get to that myotonic failure part because you ignore that. So it's not really a psychology as much as it's.
Speaker 3: A trained behavior for sure.
Speaker 2: Back when I was in training, and I don't even know if I guess they have the switch these days, but we used to have a term called Nintendo bladder where kids were so fixed on playing their games that they absolutely would not pee until either they'd wet themselves or they'd get such bladder pain that they couldn't be because they had ignored that urge. You know that they learned so well when they were three and now they're seven or eight or twelve that that they wouldn't they wouldn't stop their game long enough to pee. So so yeah, there's a lot of conditioned responses in the urinary process that cause it. There's bashful voiding too, or stage fright as we call it. Where you're you know, you're at Dodger Stadium, you're at the Yankees game, you're at the World Cup and you're lined up for the trough and there's all these guys around you just let her rip and you're like, I don't have the way that translates audio wise, But that was me wincing and trying to pee and couldn't and and that happens too, you know where you can have bashful bladder And that's real.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is I never considered that aspect of all this.
Speaker 5: That's so fascinating.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a PhD worth of information in forty minutes. This is what we do here.
Speaker 4: No, the p how do you spell a P E E HD?
Speaker 3: Dude, you're the one with the jokes.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 3: I love this right to Jordan. I love this side of No, we're good. You know that was a primer.
Speaker 2: Maybe, you know, with audience feedback, we'll revisit this in a lot more detail, because I think we touched on a lot of things. But yeah, I think these are super important little tidbits that guy should know that. Yeah, you know, go on the regular, make it happen. If you're getting up too much at night to pee, go see somebody. Probably reasonable to start with your primary care doc, just for them to do the work up to make sure it's not something more systemic than just a urinary issue or just the fact that you know you're not thirty anymore. But then, but make sure you have at least an idea of who your good friendly neighborhood urologist is. To just take that diagnostic cascade home.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 4: And if you're in the LA area and you need to find a friendly neighborhood urologist, that's it.
Speaker 3: I think we know a guy.
Speaker 2: I know a guy. That's another whole tagline. Well, dude, that was fun. Thanks for hanging out with me. And a special shout out to Jordan. He really is literally calling in and we're doing this from his summer vacation. So God bless you, your dedication to the audience, to iHeart and all that you do. Man, I got no jokes. There are just there's nothing but love and admiration.
Speaker 5: Right back at you.
Speaker 4: You every day are helping men, saving lives. My admiration is tenfold towards you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, we can go on forever, all right, Long Transit, get us out of here and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the Maro. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about him, a ma hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: The Man.
Speaker 6: The mail Room with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtog. It was edited, mixed, and mastered bybby Heat, and the theme was provided by Long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast or those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Help