Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind Listener mail. My name's Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And it's Monday, the day of each week that we read back messages from the Stuff to Blow Your Mind email address. If you have never gotten in touch with us before, maybe you should give it a try. You can reach us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com. Whatever you want to send us fair game. But we of course always appreciate feedback to recent episodes, especially if you have something interesting you'd like to add to a topic we've talked about. Let's see, Rob if you don't mind, I'm going to kick things off with this message from Hannah in response to our series on Strange Ice. Yeah, let's have it, Hannah says, Hi, guys, I've been listening for years. I love your podcast stimulating conversations with people in my daily life that are inspired by your episodes regarding the Strange Ice. Have you guys covered super cool liquid water? Once my father took a water bottle from our home freezer. It was in liquid form inside the bottle as he opened it. And tilted it downward to poor We both watched as the water began freezing from the mouth of the bottle all the way to the end of the bottle. It's been many years since this happened, and I know the phenomenon exists, but I'm starting to doubt that I saw it in real life as opposed to a dream or something. Do you know anything about this and is it something that can happen in a conventional domestic freezer? Again, love your podcast, Keep up the good work, Robert, Joe and team. Sincerely, Hannah. Yes, Hannah, Yes, you are right. This is an example of what is called super cooling. It happens when water gets below the freezing point, below the temperature where it would normally freeze, while somehow still remain a liquid, and in this super cooled state, it can freeze very rapidly all of a sudden, and it's not even especially rare from what I can tell. You can look up tons of videos of this online. Often it seems to be happening with water inside smooth plastic bottles or water or just bottled water. You pre bottled water that's sold in stores when it is stored in the freezer or maybe outside in sub zero temperatures. And yeah, it seems that it can happen in a normal domestic freezer. And that's because from everything I've read, it doesn't really actually depend very much on the environment outside the container of water, apart from it being below the freezing temperature. It is more related to what's inside the container. It's related to the makeup of the water and the container in which it is stored. So the common explanation is that ice crystals need what are called nucleation points. So that's a place where where crystals of ice can begin to form within the mass of liquid water. And usually this is some kind of impurity in the water, maybe some kind of particle suspended within it or something dissolved in it, or it can be a rough place in the wall of the container in which the water is stored. But in a smooth container with very pure water, sometimes there isn't any nucleation point that would allow ice crystals to begin to form, and the water goes sub zero while remaining a liquid. This comes to an end when the liquid is disturbed or agitated in some ways. So if you bonk the bottle against something, or you shake it, or you tip it over to pour it. In all these cases, suddenly some kind of nucleation point is found and then the water freezes all at once. And really interesting thing I've noticed is that in all the videos I've seen of this, the ice forms from the top down rather than from the bottom up, so it forms away from the Earth center of gravity, moving toward the Earth center of gravity. I don't know exactly why that is, but that seems curious. Another interesting fact is that a similar thing can happen in the opposite direction as well, with the creation of super heated water, and this is one reason it can be hazardous to microwave plane water without anything in it. Sometimes water in the microwave can exceed the normal boiling point of water while still remaining a liquid if there is no nucleation point allowing steam bubbles to begin to form. So in the case of like a microwaved mug or bowl of water, this can mean the water gets above one hundred degree celsius or two twelve fahrenheit, and then you know, it just stays a liquid, sort of still liquid without bubbles in this superheated state. And then when you put something in it like you stick a spoon or a tea bag in it, or you add some ingredient to it. Suddenly it has nucleation points where it didn't have them before, and it sort of explodes, sending a splash of boiling water all over the place, and of course can burn people. In both cases. Superheating and super cooling seem to be more likely with very pure water, so I've read that the microwave thing is more likely to happen. It's more dangerous if you are using distilled water. Most of the time, tapwater has enough impurities that bubbles will form, but it's still better to exercise caution when microwaving water, even if it is tapwater.
Speaker 2: All right, This next one comes to us from Jeff with one f Jeff Rights, greeting Science Humans. I believe Imma Frost's diamond powers. This is a character in the X Men comics are supposed to make her essentially in vulnerable, but based on your diamond episodes, it seems as though her archinemy should be thor or at least anyone else with access to hammer technology.
Speaker 3: Very good, referring to the fact that you usually cannot dent or scratch a diamond but you can shatter one with a hammer.
Speaker 2: Right, And I believe that in that episode, I kind of just put the call out of there any other diamond related comic book things we should know about to write in, And so that's what Jeff gets to. Just as in the DC Comics universe, there's a character named Jeanette, a proper mythological banshee who kills one of her tormentors by repeatedly mixing not diamonds but ground glass into her daily meals. It did take years for the victim to die in prolonged agony of what was thought to be an undiagnosable disease, which is more plausible than death by a single hit of crushed diamond. I had to look this character up, and it looks like that at some point in the telling and creation of this character. She also ties into the household of Count Elizabeth Bathory. So it sounds like the creators had a lot of fun putting this character together.
Speaker 3: Yikes, And yeah, that does seem more plausible, I'd agree. Whatever the poisonous properties or lack thereof of a you know, single small amount of powdered diamond, I'd imagine if you just keep feeding it to people over and over for a long time. It's got to do something not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff continues on a completely different note, allow me a moment to proselytize the tuna crab. They are a most adorable, colorful and slightly nightmarriagh species, and I believe worthy of your attention. And at that point, I believe the author Jeff here included a bunch of links and Joe, you dragged in some images of these creatures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they looks kind of like cooked crayfish. They have crawd because you know with crawdads often they have a more kind of well, they can have different colors, but might have more like a bread appearance on the shell before cooking. After you cook them, the shell turns bright red. These in life appear bright red. And they are also kind of shaped like crayfish. And that they've got these curling tails with fins on them and claws in the front, so they're shaped kind of like crayfish, but they have these elongated front pincers.
Speaker 2: Jeff continues. They spend most of their lives swimming in the open ocean, migrating from the deep to the surface at will. While they are very different creatures, they look a bit like squid while swimming, traveling in a jerky, non fish like motion, with the hydrodynamic portion of the animal in the front in the limbs dangling behind, and then as an aside, snorkeling near squid can be quite disorienting after you've acclimatized or climated to normal fish behavior, when you see a squadron of them in the distance, they look like a bunch of deformed mutant fish with all the body parts in the wrong place, which may be an enormous jaw or possibly shredded body on the back of the animal. I have to throw in that I've only seen maybe one or two squid out while snorkeling, but and they're isolated, but are It's a really cool experience because they are so strange, especially if you have been looking at fish all day. Jeff continues. Tunicrabs are not actual crabs, but squat lobsters, which are also not actual lobsters. They are more closely related to hermit crabs. They are also related to the langstino red lobster that got in trouble for passing off as a real lobster. The tunicrabs been their early life floating around as plankton. Some crustaceans have an insane life cycle with around fifteen distinct larval stages, putting Pokemon evolutions to shame. Scientists have a lot of trouble distinguishing between different species and simply different forms of the same creature. One major complication of domesticating marine species for aquaculture is these microscopic stages of life, which would be inadvertently removed from any aquarium with a normal filter system. Imagine the difficulty of raising cows or pigs that have millions of offspring at once, all of whom are in great danger of being sucked into the ventilation system. Thanks for tolerating my meandering spam, and more importantly, thanks for presenting us all with so many varied and interesting topics to ponder.
Speaker 3: Jeff, Oh, thank you, Jeff, great email. You know, I don't think I knew that red lobster ever got in trouble for trying to sell langestines as real lobster, especially because I thought langestines were, like are a delicacy. I've had them before, and I thought they were considered good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I guess. You know, people want to know what they're buying, but they're supposed to be in the tank right with the rubber bands, so it should be a situation where you're maybe there were I have no idea about the details of the story, like were the langostino's in the tank with rubber bands on? Because if that's the case, it's like, as long as you get the one you point out, then what's the problem.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think they're typically smaller than lobsters, but they're good. I remember the langustines I have. It seemed like the sort of a cross between like lobster and shrimp somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 2: There the mention of the complex life cycles. This reminds me on the series Futurama, we of course have doctor John A. Zoidberg who is a decapodian, so he has this crustacean squid like alien species, and there's one episode in particular where they outline the life cycle of a decapodian and it has like all of these crazy life cycles, the stages of the life cycle that are based on what we actually see in the natural world, and it was quite clever.
Speaker 3: Nice all right, This next message touches on a variety of topics, including some stuff about diamonds and some stuff about weird house cinema. This is from Jeremy. Jeremy says, Hello, Robert and Joe. In your recent Nature of the Diamond Part four episode, the subject of body implants came up, in particular forehead implants. I was surprised that the epic webcomic Kill six Billion Demons wasn't mentioned here, as many of the characters, including the main protagonist, have embedded forehead gems as a source of power. I'm sure you've recommended Kill six Billion Demons on one of your reading list episodes. This is funny because I feel like this just came up recently that like somebody else was saying we had recommended this, but I don't. I'm not familiar with it.
Speaker 2: I think I think I recommended it oh so ago, But I okay, I'd forgotten a lot of the details about it. I haven't read it since then. It's tremendously enjoyable, beautiful art, but I had just honestly forgotten that they had forehead diamonds or gems or what have you.
Speaker 3: Shame on you, I know, I know, I love the failed to mention emails. But don't worry, Jeremy, it's fine, it's fine, Jeremy goes on. In your recent The Magic Sword Weird House episode, concern was expressed that there would be insufficient handy princesses available to keep the dragon healthy with a regular food supply. Oh yeah, this is because you got the impression once you got to Basil Rathbone's castle that he's just like churning through princesses about once or twice a week. He's got new princesses coming in all the time. The dragon obviously, you know, takes a lot of calories to feed a dragon. They'll only eat princesses, I guess. And so that really has to add up how many princesses are there? Well, Jeremy says, I suspect that you underestimate the number of quote kings and hence castles there used to be in Europe, as the number of castles runs into the tens of thousands. For example, there are estimates of Germany twenty five thousand, France ten thousand, Spain six thousand, UK fifteen hundred, which includes Wales which has six hundred, making it the country with the most castles per square mile in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: I don't know where Jeremy is going to these numbers from, but if that's true, that is that's a lot of kings and I guess maybe a lot of princesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it's any indication, then maybe it was a good racket for an evil wizard to have.
Speaker 3: Finally, Jeremy says, you often mentioned checking your podcast feed on Apple devices, and I've experienced this. I switched to the UK feed when it was released and it worked perfectly until the fifth of January when it stopped and I can't get it to reactivate. Thankfully, I was able to switch back to the original global version, which still works. Best regards Jeremy. Okay, Rob, is this a good point to do another explainer on this? Just briefly, We are very sorry for the inconvenience listeners. We love you, we appreciate the fact that you listen, and we're very sorry for the run around on this. But this was just a result of stuff. We were told by corporate that we were going to have to move UK listeners to a separate feed, and then that requirement went away. So if any UK listeners are still on that other feed, you can come back to this one.
Speaker 2: It's okay now, right, And yeah, the UK feed is I think at this point completely gone. If the emails that I've read are accurate. So this is the only feed. If there's another feed that says it stuff to blow your mind, that's not it. There can be only one that's right.
Speaker 3: We're extremely sorry for the inconvenience and confusion. It's out of our hands, but.
Speaker 2: You did the right thing by writing in and asking about it. Any kind of questions that come up about the podcast feed, be at the Apple feed or the iHeart main feed or any of the other feeds where you get the podcast, do bring it to our attention, because sometimes it's something that's out of our hands. Sometimes it's something that has to do with the platform. Sometimes it's something that has to do with publication of the podcast episode and alerting it to us. Very possibly there's something we can do to help, so we appreciate it. We're not always able to observe the podcast in the wild, at least not as quickly as you listeners.
Speaker 3: Do, right. We don't always know what you're seeing in the place and way you get the podcast. Yeah, all right, let's do a message or two about weird house cinema. This one comes from Maria Angela, who says, Hi, I am a faithful Italian listener and I love your podcast. I stumbled upon an old Hugh Grant movie, namely The Layer of the White Worm. I watched the trailer and I immediately thought of you. It seems quite ludicrous and hilarious, maybe not intentionally. I immensely enjoy your work, Maria Angela in Italy. Well, Maria Angela, thank you for bringing this to our attention. No, I am quite familiar with Layer of the White Worm, and I am quite certain it is intentional in its hilarity. That's a favorite of Rachel and I have watched that one many times. It's it's so I don't even know how to describe it. It's a hoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, it's a great director and Ken Russell based on brom Stoker Stokers work, and then you got a great cast, not only Hugh Grant, but you've got Peter Capaldi, You've got Katherine Oxenberg, Sammy Davis, a great cast.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wonder if it's scandalous in a way that we're not brave enough to do on Weird House. But it is great and there is a there was so many like great, just giffable moments and it I think of one where Amanda Donaho just like vomits acid on a crucifix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, yes, that's right, because she she plays the good can you remember Snake Woman, Vampire Lady Goddess.
Speaker 3: She's like a serpent sorceress. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it would be great to do a kN Russell film at some point or another in Weird House, but he's one of those directors where I'm not sure exactly which one would be the right Kim Russell film for us to discuss. Yeah, all right, this next one comes to us from Chris. Chris says Joe and Robert. Listener Roberta mentioned her viewing of the Magic Sword at a drive in as a young child. This incidentally was the listener mail that reminded us that, hey, we should just go ahead and do the Magic Sword for Weird House, and so we did, so, thank you, Roberta. Yeah, so Chris continues, She referred to a comment one of you made about attack of the puppet people, maybe wanting to hear from listeners who saw the movies during their original release. This prompted me to peruse the list of previous Weird House Cinema episodes. I noticed that I had watched a number of the films Gorgo, Doctor X, The Thing from Another World, and others. You two may have opened a bucket of blood oops, I mean can of worms. It would be an interesting project to have listeners write in about first seeing the movies, but you might want to widen your criteria. I can remember the theater and or other circumstances when I first saw some of them, but not the actual date, since I might have seen them as a second or third run. Movies were routinely part of second or later runs, including drive ins when I was growing up. I think such later distributions often produced pairings of double features different from their original ones. Some of us with a good number of birthdays might have seen older films primarily on television as part of local stations, late night chiller theater, etc. Fair rather than in a theater.
Speaker 3: Chris Well, this is a great point, Chris. So when it comes to listener mail for Weird House Cinema, Yeah, I don't want to limit anybody to writing in only about seeing a movie on the original run in the theater, if you saw something on what was it called Thriller with Boris Carloff or maybe I'm getting that name wrong, any of these shows that had like late night horror host shows on TV when you were a kid, or if it was a second run or whatever, that's fine too. We just want to hear your great stories about seeing these movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to hear about you discovering movies in the theater. I want to hear about you going to video rental stores. I want to hear about you discovering them in the depths of Amazon Prime, which, as I've mentioned before, for a good minute, there had a whole lot of like weird stuff just in the back catalog, and I think it's still there, but you have to find the right channels to subscribe to be it like like a full Moon you know, subscribe to the full Moon channel, or even like the MGM Plus channel. I've noticed I had to dip into a subscription there to watch something, and like, there's a whole bunch of fabulous looking garbage in there that I'm gonna have to sift through at some point or another. So, yeah, all of these stories of cinematic discovery or fair game.
Speaker 3: I also want to hear your plot summaries of movies that you haven't seen since you were like five years old, with no refreshing Sure, sure, how do you remember it? What do you think the magic Sword was about?
Speaker 2: All right, then we're gonna go ahead and close out this episode, but we'd love to hear from you again. Stuff to Blow Your Mind primarily a science podcast, core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and on Mondays we do a little listener mail. On Wednesdays we do a short form episode, and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. Yeah, we'd love to hear from all of you if you have any responses to past episodes, current episodes, or potential future episodes for any of these publication days.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.