Speaker 1: Hey there, folks. It is Tuesday, March twenty fourth, and a Marilyn man has been charged with murder. Is making headlines because this man is charged with shooting someone and he has no arms and no legs. With that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robes. That is without question a big part of the headlines and a lot of attention this story is getting because a lot of people up frankly, how is this possible?
Speaker 2: Well, and add to that, he was driving a vehicle at the time of the shooting reported least, so that also is puzzling to think, Wow, this man who has no arms, no legs is driving and is able to keep driving while witnesses claim he shot someone in the head. And on top of that, in terms of the headline making part of this story, he is also a professional corn hole player who has been featured by news outlets for years.
Speaker 1: I guess that's still would have made headlines. Professional cornhole player charged with murder? Right, They oftentimes lead with something that's correct. That kind of thing makes someone have an attention, have got them attention. This is still a bizarre story. This did happen?
Speaker 2: When was the date on this This happened I believe on Sunday, Sunday evening, and he.
Speaker 3: Was captured a few hours later.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's tell you what we're talking about. Twenty seven year old Dayton James Webber. Now, most folks robes wouldn't know that name, but he has become familiar to a certain degree, not just because robes he competes as a professional corn hole player. They're not necessarily big superstars. But he got attention because he was doing it and served as an inspiration quite frankly, in history.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was featured as, yes, someone who overcame his physical limitations and was able to do things that most people can't do with full arms and legs.
Speaker 3: He was a football player, a wrestler.
Speaker 2: He yeah, then decided to specifically get into cornhole and he's really good at it.
Speaker 3: He's a champion.
Speaker 2: And yes, people are looking to him and have been looking to him for years saying if he can do what I can do it, look at what Dayton James Webber is able to do. He absolutely has been an inspiration to many.
Speaker 1: And we can get more into what exactly happened with him medically if you will, but this has been something a condition when he was a child, and his right and left arm amputated, right and left leg amputate. It he doesn't have those limbs beyond the elbow, I guess you could say. And also it's above the knee is where his legs are arputated amputated. So this is who we're talking about with ropes. He found a way to manage doing corn hole, at least by being able to clasp that bag in some way and tossing it, and was effective in doing it. It's impressive when you watch it.
Speaker 3: It is, it really is.
Speaker 2: We've been watching some years of him doing his thing and it is very impressive. So it makes obviously what now he is accused of all the more horrific. He is facing first and second degree murder charges, two counts of assault in the first degree, and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. But when you hear the details about how this all went down, according to two passengers who were in the back seat, it's a head scratcher.
Speaker 1: So as simple as that, folks. Yes, there were, according to police, at least two witnesses to this who were sitting in the backseat of a car. While Weber was driving this vehicle and another passenger was in the passenger seat. Now, according to authorities, were olden. According to these passengers, whatever argument took place, Weber allegedly shoots the passenger and then kind of some confusing and chaotic scenes play out for the next couple hours.
Speaker 3: That's right, so he's driving.
Speaker 2: To the people in the back seat, he pulls out the firearm and shoots him twice in the head while driving, and then pulls over.
Speaker 3: According to the two folks in the back seat.
Speaker 2: And by the way, we don't know exactly what the relationships are between or among these four folks, but police say they were friendly with one another.
Speaker 3: They all knew each other.
Speaker 2: So reportedly, according to the two witnesses in the back seat, Weber then asks them to help him pull Wells's body out of the car. And we mentioned to the man who was killed, twenty seven year old Bradrick Michael Wells, Bradrick Wells. So he said, hey, guys, help me pull his body out of the vehicle. The two people in the back seat were like, ah, no, we're not doing that. Finally, someone doing something smart. We see too many movies where folks just kind of do things that they know they shouldn't do.
Speaker 3: These two folks were smart.
Speaker 2: They got out of the vehicle and they ran, they fled, and they eventually were able to flag down a police officer.
Speaker 1: They get an officer and start telling their story. Sure, and then they were able to fairly quickly track down Weber. But they also were able to find he had, apparently, according to authorities, dumped this man's body out in the middle of the wide open space for all the public to see. Essentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so apparently two hours after this all took place, please got a call of a body found in a yard, and yes, it was in fact Wells.
Speaker 3: And then yes, they found Weber by locating his vehicle.
Speaker 2: It's so incredible the way we now have our surveillance system set up in this country. So yes, they were able to locate his car one hundred and fifty miles away from where the body was found in Virginia. He actually ended up in a hospital he was being treated for an unknown medical issue. But as soon as he was released from the hospital, police arrested him and he is behind bars in Virginia right now waiting extradition to Maryland.
Speaker 1: And again, I guess it is wrote so much of this story and people will focus on again, if this wasn't a cornhole player, and this wasn't a quadruple amputee. Not sure how many of the headlines a story like this would make, but it is at least it makes you stop and wonder. But it also Rob said it's not a positive necessarily, but oftentimes we talk about folks being having not disabled, but differently able. Correct, And to hear that someone a quadruple amputee is living a full life to the point they're driving around in a car, competing in cornhole, doing all these things, and in fact even murdering somebody, it's an odd thing to look at like wow. Again, it seems odd to say that you look at it and say, wow, they're capable of anything anybody else is, but robes. It is a little fascinating, head scratching and hard for us to get our heads around. How he was able to drive the car, first of all, is incredible because we have seen, have we not, in various shows and things on TVs stories they're able to sometimes outfit a car for someone with a disability. So we don't know that for sure. I didn't see anywhere police describe that.
Speaker 2: No, because and to your point, there are several articles out there that exactly specify what you're saying. First of all, it's incredible that he's able to drive a car. Second, it's kind of remarkable that he's able to shoot a gun. Now, imagine being able to do both of those things while you have no arms and no legs. It really is one of those, as you pointed out, head scratchers. There's YouTube videos that he has touted and he's put on his social media. One of them is entitled no hands, No feet shooting nine millimeter handgun.
Speaker 3: You and I both watched it. He is proficient, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I still don't know how. I watched the video, and I'm still not sure how he does it right, because again he has I'm not sure digits. I guess at the end of his arm. There's a way he's able to pull that trigger on a vehicle, on the weapon and he's still kind of gripping it crazy. It sound almost the same way he was doing the bags and corn hole, using both to kind of squeeze and hold the weapon upright. How he did that and was driving the car eyes just and pulled a trigger like I don't. I really don't know how he did it, so no, and did this safely. Apparently was able to pull over.
Speaker 2: Yes, hey, hey, helped me get the body out, because obviously that would be I mean, look, this sounds crazy, but that would be a hard thing to do as well. With no hands, no legs, how do you get rid of a body. It's hard enough for people who have no limitations. So yeah, he was asking for help and his friends said no way. And by the way, he lost his limbs. We were talking early on ten months old. I believe he had a bacterial infection and was given about a three percent chance to live.
Speaker 3: So he really is a walking miracle. He's talked about it.
Speaker 2: He's inspired folks because of it, the fact that he was just able to survive that infection and then to thrive given his limitations. But yes, he is an official. He is a professional corn hole athlete, and I didn't know that was even a thing, but it is. And in fact, the whole Cornhole Association is trying to get this to become an event at the Olympics. That's how big of a deal it is in some circles. And certainly he was at the top of his game in Maryland.
Speaker 1: It looks if every once in a while, Look it's not appointment viewing, but every once in a while you're going through ESPN on a random day at a random time, and nothing else is on, and you see a corn hole championship place and we stop and check it out because it's impressive. So it's a thing. It hasn't gotten to where it needs to be, but still it's out there. But Robes no matter what I mean, I can't you give me a year to go out there and practice corn hole with two arms and hands. I'm not going to be at a championship level. That what he's doing is wildly it's weird to say, and so don't it. Don't take this the wrong way. But it's impressive, Yeah, what he did, it's not right. It seems weird to say, I'm impressive that he pulled off a murder. I'm impressive. It's impressive that he is able, Yeah, to do all this. That is impressive, awful that he used his ability to possibly take a life. But I am it is robe. It's the fascination and us not really understanding how he pulled this off.
Speaker 2: Yes, Fascination is a good word to describe because everyone's trying to imagine how it all happened, how it all worked. But obviously he has lived with this his entire life, so he knows how to successfully do whatever it is he puts his mind to.
Speaker 3: Is how many people have put it.
Speaker 2: So Yeah, by the way, he was named the best corn hole player in Maryland in twenty twenty signed a professional pro cornhole contract in twenty twenty one, and he had a six year contract, so he was in the middle of it. It's also fascinating and sad to think that he has just thrown all that hard work, all that determination, all that success, all that inspiration out the door, potentially with one angry moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Heah.
Speaker 1: We have to always watch a bunch of these cases and stories. I have to say he is an innocent man right now, innocent until proven otherwise. We don't know exactly what happened in that car, but police say there are two people who do know what happened in that car, saw it and have reported it now and say there is no doubt about what took place. But stay here, folks will get more into and robed. You were just saying Dayton James Webber. It's not somebody in the name people know, but he had had a hell of a run, a hell of a successful run, and a hell robes of a life to have such to be such a young man. He's twenty seven years old, and as crazy as it sounds, he had his whole life ahead of him. Stay here, we'll tell you more about the man who serves or has served as such an inspiration for so.
Speaker 2: Many Welcome back, everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are talking about a quadruple amputee professional cornhole player now charged with murder. Two witnesses in the back seat of his car say they saw him drive, pull out a handgun and shoot the front seat passenger twice in the head, killing him. There is a lot to unpack with this story. There's the fascination of how he did it. There's the question of why he did it. We know that there was some sort of argument according to the back seat passengers, and look, this is somebody. The why is a big, big issue here because of what he's accused of compared to who he's been known for and known as for so many years.
Speaker 3: He's been the spotlight since he was young. At eleven years.
Speaker 2: Old, he was profiled by the local NBC affiliate about his athletic prowess and what he was able to do with his body given.
Speaker 3: The fact that he had no arms and no legs. He was you know, the.
Speaker 2: End of the newscast where you have the inspirational story. He was that story for so many news outlets for so many years. He was the kid that made us all think we could do anything.
Speaker 1: Oh then he guess he could still be. Don't know again, don't have all the answers. He was just arrested yesterday, so always want to leave room for that. But Robes, Yeah, I mean he had many years or has many years left and many years potentially left of being an inspiration, of being more of a name that people were possibly going to know. What he did up until this other guy died has been inspirational.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And with the sport coming up the way it is now and there's a big push to make it be a bigger, more widely recognized and acknowledged sport, yeah, he was riding that wave. I don't know the ESPN features because I'm not a big ESPN watcher, but do you know ESPN's sc Features and ESPN Sports Center. They both profiled Weber and in the most recent years giving him accolades for overcoming But I thought this was really interesting. ESPN Sports Center gave gave him a spot on one of its Top ten plays segments.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with that? I know you're laughing at me, but I don't know what any of.
Speaker 1: This is familiar. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Everybody is except for a Wah, except for am Wah.
Speaker 2: So they show him this is just like three years ago, making four consecutive shots, and one of them, I guess was a really almost impossible shot to make until he did it. And the sportscaster or whoever was announcing who whatever anchor was, said this Dayton Weber, remember the name that is so ominous now given what's been happening.
Speaker 3: But he was the guy. He was the he was the inspirational name.
Speaker 2: He was. When you heard his name, you thought, man, if he can do what, I can do it. And this is just such an unbelievable fall from grace. And there are a lot of questions surrounding this case, but again I think the biggest one is why, why it's just so sad, and to your point, we still have to wait the details. We still have to let him have his day in court, and certainly we have not heard directly yet from Dayton wherever, but we will stay on top of this story. We appreciate you as always for listening to us. I'm Nami Robach alongside TJ. Holmes.
Speaker 3: We will talk to you soon