Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway and Lexington welcomes Dustin Nickerson April seventeenth through the nineteenth Then catch the hilarious siblings Leah and Andrew Rudick April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth. And from Dublin, Ireland, It's David Nihil May second and third. Comedy Off Broadway opened and downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call E five nine two seven one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot.
Speaker 2: Com Coy off Bay.
Speaker 3: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Wednesday, April to twenty third. I'm Matt Jones here at the KS Bar in Grill on Wingsday Wednesday, Dollar Wings all day on a beautiful day, so you want to come out and have lunch with us. We got people here from We got Gainesville, Florida.
Speaker 2: Right there.
Speaker 5: We got Versales, Katis and tree Canny. Although she won't look this way, it's like she's embarrassed.
Speaker 2: And where are you from?
Speaker 5: Madison Madisonville, So already here this morning, Ryan Lemon, Drew Franklin. You can give a show on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line eight five nine two eight oh twenty.
Speaker 2: Two eighty seven.
Speaker 5: A Vision Auto Glass text machine is seven seven two seven seven four five two five four in this distion sponsored by the t J.
Speaker 2: Smith Lovas. If you called TJ, he'll make him pay.
Speaker 5: He was in Gainesville, said it was it was a great celebration when they won the title, but uh, you still can't be that happy because it's Florida fans. Hopefully we get to have one of those here in the next few years. It's also gonna be ask anything Wednesday. I be gone for three and a half weeks, so open up the phones. Whatever you want to ask. I'm not saying for certain I'll answer it. But you know, you can be exciting. You can ask about sports, but you can also ask about anything you want. Don't be afraid. Just don't call me and say, like, hey, Matt, who's gonna start at point guard, because like we can do that anytime. Make it kind of a more interesting question than that, Drew, Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's always fun when we get a little off script. And maybe even tell some alas from the past.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I also have something in the second hour where we're gonna play a little draft game, so just just be ready for that. But let's start with the big news of the day. Travis Perry enters the portal. I'll talk about an eleventh hour thing. It happened at like what nine to thirty last night, two and a half hours before the portal closed. He didn't didn't make an announcement. It just got I had a source tell me. But they must have had everybody on speed dial because everybody put it out. I thought, hey, I have some scoop, and then all of a sudden, everybody had it at the same time. It must have been a group text. But nevertheless, he is in the portal. Not a shock to me. I kind of wondered, you know, all these other people had put out their graphics that they were back and he hadn't, and I was kind of like, is it gonna happen?
Speaker 2: You know, there was a.
Speaker 5: There's a person who wrote the text machine who has written me about every two days for the last month saying Travis was gonna come back, And fifteen minutes before I got the text they were like, it's official now. I wanted to be like, you've been writing me this for two months. I guess what was it official then? But he decides to leave, let's just start Ryan before we What are your initial thoughts. I mean, this is the all time leading scorer in the history of Kentucky high school basketball.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the decision?
Speaker 7: You know, I'd heard there were some teams putting the full court press on him, but the fact that he had not made an announcement, I thought, well, he's probably gonna come back. And the fact that it lay waited until the eleventh hour, that just kind of tells me on the outside of looking in it might have been a struggle with him in the family trying to decide what to do. Should we look elsewhere or do we want to kind of stay in be Kentucky, be at Kentucky. I think we owe that kid a lot of gratitude. I mean, I'd hate to think where we would have been without him after all of our injuries at point guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we might have had Brandon Garrison bringing the ball before.
Speaker 6: What do you think true, I think he's got a tough decision. I've heard from the moment portal season started all the way through Monday that he didn't want to leave. He knew his spot. It's not a competition thing, a playing time thing. He's very aware of the situation in Kentucky, but there are some other places that have made significant offers and opportunities that are in front of him, and he has to decide, do I want to be a Kentucky knowing I'm the thirteenth guy and there's a lot in front of me and you know, live that dream, or do I want to take maybe even double the money and have a significant increase in playing time.
Speaker 5: So that's interesting. I heard the exact opposite, and I'm not saying you're wrong. This may just be in the portal era you hear different things. I heard the exact opposite.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: I think UK actually had kind of thought he was coming back and like had sort of the the nil agreement with him, but that ultimately it did come down to kind of a playing time thing that like, especially when they got Aberdeen, there was a sense of, well, Aberdeen will probably end up being the backup point guard when Lowe is out, and you're now at that point kind of third string for your second year. So I'm not saying you're wrong. You know, my source could be wrong, but I actually heard the exact opposite of that, So you know, I'm.
Speaker 6: Pretty confident he's got some strong offers out there. Oh, I'm sure there are much more than Kentucky's.
Speaker 2: I don't think that. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think the money was why he left. I think it, I mean there was. Well I won't go into all the details, but I I'm sure he'll get other offers. But but that would have been the case back two months ago, so a month and a half ago or whenever, whenever it ended.
Speaker 2: So either way, I guess it doesn't really matter. He's he's gone.
Speaker 5: You know, it was interesting looking at the fan reaction online. I think I think the general reaction is, well, I'm sorry it didn't work out because we want this Kentucky kid to play. But that but that people understand. I mean, he was gonna be the thirteenth.
Speaker 2: Man on the roster last next year.
Speaker 5: I mean Trent Noah kind of objectively fit in better in some ways last year. I mean, Travis, he's a great shooter, but he didn't shoot great last year, right, and he and he really struggles on defense, and I it's you know, I hate to see him go because I love having Kentucky kids play, especially one with this historic career he had.
Speaker 2: In high school. But I also think for him it's probably the right decision.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, he got thrust into a role he probably wasn't quite ready for. You know, he just just got to college. He's playing a major Division one ball, a lot of physical a lot of great point guards in his league, and then college.
Speaker 2: Could have been ready for it.
Speaker 5: Do you is there a world you could have seen Travis Perry starting point guard for Kentucky.
Speaker 7: Only if it's like on year three or four.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what about on year three or four?
Speaker 7: He's still not the kind of physical type point guard that we see even you know, Lamont Butler Sears fears. These guys are this dynamite point guards. I don't know if he was physically able to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Drew there's a worst league for him than the SEC. I mean like that, this is the worst league you could play in if you're a guy.
Speaker 5: That last year, I think I've said over and over, I think we had the least athletic team in the SEC.
Speaker 2: And it showcased itself.
Speaker 5: And I think that's part of the reason Mark Pope Witten got so many more athletes.
Speaker 6: And I don't think he would ever be the guy at point guard. Maybe get to where he's a solid backup playing a lot of minutes, but just defensively, he's just he's just not built with the athleticism that would take to play significant minutes in the SEC. But uh, you know, I wouldn't This isn't scoop or anything. This is just me breading tea leaves. I wouldn't rule out him sticking around coming back. I see it as he's maybe it got to the last minute and just wanted to buy himself some time.
Speaker 5: Well we'll see, but I don't think that's happening. I mean I think UK. I think UK is going to fill that spot. I think they might fill it with a developmental type player, like a guy who's the thirteenth guy and understands that and it's coming in and to maybe be a contributor in the second year or something like that.
Speaker 2: I could see them almost even.
Speaker 5: Doing like a reach a little bit and taking a guy that's a little bit you know, not necessarily ranked in the top because they just.
Speaker 2: Think can make it work.
Speaker 5: Maybe a guy like Tretanoa who wasn't ranked really high last year and they still brought in. But you know, I'd be very surprised if you hear the portal two hours before.
Speaker 2: I kind of think you're probably going.
Speaker 7: And you know, even though they brought in Aberdeen, you know, Colin Chandler when he got his chance, kind of leap frogged over Travis. Travis didn't play hardly at all in their last couple of games. Because Colin got a lot of all of his minutes. I'm sure he wants to go and play somewhere.
Speaker 5: He's a competitor as a Western Kentuckier Kentuckier Western Kentuckian.
Speaker 2: Are you are you bumped?
Speaker 6: I'm a little bummed, and I was surprised. Like I said, I've heard that both sides wanted to make it work. My assumption is he got a pretty good offer. So if that's the case, I'm happy for him. I know a lot of people mentioned like Bellerman, I just don't think places like that could afford him. I don't know nil At Yeah, I don't know even Western. I don't know if they have I don't even know if they could afford him. I wouldn't be shocked if he's still in the SEC. I know when he got recruit out of high school. Oh Miss loved him and Florida loved him. It'd be crazy if he went to one of those. But I wouldn't rule either one of those out. Joe Tipton from on three, he mentioned Cincinnati is an option. I think he's still going to be playing at a decently high level of basketball.
Speaker 2: Not a lot.
Speaker 5: Cincinna Army would make more sense to me. I just I don't see how an old Miss or Florida could could have watched those games and said this is and again this is not. I'm not being critical of him. I think he there is a place for him to be a really good college basketball player. I'm just not sure it's in the SEC. I think even in the Big East there's less less athleticism than there is here or the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: This league is just so athletic that I.
Speaker 5: Just don't know how it works since that he's not tall either. That's the other thing is he's sure in addition to the to the other.
Speaker 7: Thing, since they would be interested, he'd be Golden be Kirk Crease's back up up there.
Speaker 5: Two pair to get that wouldn't be kind of interesting to both Kerr and he went to Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: Went to Cincinnati offensively, not just the shooting. I think he can be really good running the show. It's just the defense. I don't know we'll ever get to what it needs to be to, you know, be a guy that's playing a ton of minutes at a place like Kentucky.
Speaker 2: So what about the people that are frustrated? Are they? You know? I'm confident Mark Pope didn't say I don't want you to be here. Mark Pope wanted him to be here.
Speaker 5: But there are people who say, you got to find a way to keep the Kentucky kid on the team. I think that was something Ryan maybe you could have said pre and I l but I don't know if you can say that now when you're actually talking about money, you know what I mean, Like when you're talking about money, like at some point you can't just say, well, you have to keep them. Because the thing is, when you set one cost of a player, you're not just setting the one, you're setting the whole roster. That's right, cause if you play pay your thirteenth player a ton of like the twelfth players will want more, the eleventh players don want more, you know what I mean? Like it's it has a it has a cascading defect.
Speaker 7: And you know, this is kind of a unique year where they've got Jasper Malachi, Trent, They've got three other Kentucky kids on the roster. So you know, I I gotta admit it, it kind of stung a little bit, and I just seem to think I feel bad for him and his family if they've waited til the last minute to try to do this, they probably really really wanted to stay here and just think it's the best opportunity that maybe he goes somewhere else and play.
Speaker 2: Favorite Travis Perry moment at Kentucky.
Speaker 7: Uh, how about was it?
Speaker 2: The Uh?
Speaker 7: Didn't Trent Noah throw like a over the shoulder and no look between the legs, pass or something to him in the corner and he nailed it. That was a big bucket. That's probably I don't one of his biggest bucket.
Speaker 2: Who was that against? Was that against Tennessee?
Speaker 6: Not sure the team?
Speaker 7: It wasn't a rough It was on the road somewhere, wasn't.
Speaker 6: It that was a big play. It came in a loss, but I thought he did about as good as he could at Alabama for most of the game been put in a horrible situation. There was even I rememberer. Uh you know, he just considered a guy that shoots. He cut back door and Amari found him on a give and go and he finished a tough lay up. So even though that wasn't a loss to be putting that spot, played thirty something minutes against an All American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you remember we started that game up like eleven. Yeah, you know, we we.
Speaker 5: Started in at Alabama and they you know, they they pulled away, they pulled away, but like we were, we started on a roll.
Speaker 2: And that was with him in that game.
Speaker 6: There was a moment where they called Mark Sears barely got tapped on a three and they called a foul and Travis gets hammered on the other end, doesn't get a foul. So he was just in a tough spot. But I thought he played well all things considered in that situation.
Speaker 7: I mean, like I said earlier, we owly even a lot of gratitude. Man, Well, I hate to think where we would have been without him. After we lost. You know, Labomp Butler, Kirk Crease to Jackson Robinson, our three point guards that he had got forced into play as a true freshman. That's a tough situation he got put in.
Speaker 2: Which brings me to the second point, which is.
Speaker 5: Well, I'd be careful I say this, Actually, Shitton, let's take an early break.
Speaker 2: So I, because I don't want to rush through this, all right, let's take an early break.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about there were some reports yesterday about Kentucky's nisle roster payment and I let's just say I'm in respectful disagreement with what with what was said, and we'll talk about when return. This is KSR, welcome back, and he is Kentucky Sports Radio. Just a little announcement, Shannon told me during the break. I guess on kr D in Louisville at ten thirty, they're switching to a Louisville Bats game.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, Shannon, that doesn't make me thrilled.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, they got to, you know, have the game so they can hand out the pickleball paddles to everybody coming in.
Speaker 5: So that's nice, but that's even more reason not to do it. But for those of you in Louisville. You can switch on listen online on w LAP. But you know who do the Bats play today? That it's so important that we that that we get preempted from.
Speaker 4: I don't have to look up and see who they play.
Speaker 2: I mean the one hundred and fifty games.
Speaker 4: And this is your Cincinnati Reds farm club.
Speaker 2: You should it's.
Speaker 5: Fine, but it's not the Reds. This is and I like the bad future. Okay, you hushed used to it.
Speaker 6: It happened several times while you were gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's happened seven Yeah, Drefaluza got interrupted twice. It happened to Ryan last week.
Speaker 2: Great Iowa Cubs.
Speaker 5: Well, of course it's the Iowa Cubs. Who would who wouldn't want to listen to that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: So anyway, there was a report yesterday that from from from David Sisk. He's a he's a he worked for Cats illustrated. I actually met him in Indianapolis, first time i'd met him. Uh, I don't really know him, but he came out and said that according to people he had talked to, UH, Kentucky was spending twenty million dollars on their nil for basketball this year and that seemed really hot to me. And and he even put how much he thought each player was was uh was it was, you know, making So let me be clear, this is nothing against him. I'm sure if he said that he has had someone tell me that. I can say fairly definitively. I rarely say definitively definitively, that is not true. It is a substantially less number. Now, it's a high number, it might be it. It may be the highest number in college basketball. It probably is, but it is nowhere near that number. So I mean, the idea that we were gonna have a twenty million dollar roster, which will be ten million dollars more than any other team is just is not the case. So I just want to be clear about that because I don't want people going in the season going, oh, this guy's making this, and this guy's making this.
Speaker 2: It's this isn't David's fault.
Speaker 5: But graphics were putting it out there, you know, Jasper Johnson's making this and all these people, and I just here's what happens with this stuff. The schools are not gonna tell people what they're making. I can just tell you, and I I've tried to find the information out. They're not telling the schools are not gonna tell you I spent with X amount of money.
Speaker 2: Let's play a little game, Ryan. Why would the schools not want to tell you?
Speaker 7: Well, because it gets out there. Then the other players trying to renegotiate their deal exactly.
Speaker 5: Who does have an incentive to tell you they're making a lot of money?
Speaker 7: The player the agent speaking.
Speaker 5: The agent wants to say, I got this kid this much money. Why so kids will go, oh, I need to go with him. He gets them this much money. So the agents, who are the only people talking about it, they are exploding the figures because they want to raise the market. If you find out that, you know, Aberdeen is worth two and a half million dollars, then this kid over here will go, well, wait a minute, then I'm not worth two and a half million dollars, and the market for everybody rises.
Speaker 2: So I've said this for three years. I don't believe the.
Speaker 5: Money that anyone says about any of this. I think the money is less than everyone says. I still I think it's a lot more than it was two years ago. But I think it's less than people realize. So you know, I just want. I don't want our team next year to have this burden of their twenty million dollar roster.
Speaker 2: I just don't think that's true, and I don't think it's close.
Speaker 6: To be honest, you also have when a school loses on a player, they will tell people that the other school overpaid X amount to not make it look like you just lost the recruitment straight up head to head. So if you miss out on a player, you also have an incentive to be like, well, they paid x amount to make it sound like you only lost because the other school was overpaying. So it's players and the losers in their recruitments. I think that inflated.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, Like that you're that's another person. So like if you're Kentucky and you lose out, or if you're you know, Florida and you lose out on Aberdeen, you want to you don't want to say it's because the kid wanted to play for Kentucky more than Florida. You go, well, he must have paid two million dollars or else they wouldn't have left. So I just don't believe any of the money. It's not It's not a criticism of anybody who reports it. You know, a lot of these national reporters have an incentive. They want to get information, and so the agent says, Okay, I'll tell you about my next scoop. But say he made this much money, right, Yeah, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: You know. Remember we always joke about the Shams guy.
Speaker 5: Yes, and how Shams always says this was negotiated by blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Why is he doing that because he wants scoop.
Speaker 7: Get that name out.
Speaker 2: I want scoop the next time, right.
Speaker 7: And you've been saying from the beginning that the numbers out there are overinflated. They're all inflated, and it's you know, it leads me to believe that this twenty million dollars is overinflated. But yet I still think Kentucky has offered a lot of money.
Speaker 5: I still think we will have one of the three highest quote unquote payroll. But it's not what what folks say. What is happening downtown? There are school children and buses and coyotes, and like coyotes, what is in downtown?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 6: It takes me fifteen minutes to get it from behind is it science and technology.
Speaker 2: That's why all those nerds are running.
Speaker 6: Okay, it takes me fifteen minutes. I'll even nine to thirty every day, never have an issue. I texted you all just kept sitting through the same light with zero cars moving. It was an absolute parking lot. I even I got here two seconds before the show. I had to pull a couple of Matt Joneses to even be here on time. I broke broke a few laws.
Speaker 2: So it's a science and technology what.
Speaker 7: It's like a big convention rough for the students where they come in and they all like, do egg drops? Yeah, do their science and do their technology.
Speaker 2: Did you all do the egg drop when you were in school? No?
Speaker 7: I think we did an egg into a pepsi glass pepsi bottle.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 7: Like you put a you peel a boiled egg and you put it on top of a pepsi bottle. But yet you stick a cigarette or burning paper.
Speaker 5: Paper you had you had a school project that involves cigarettes.
Speaker 7: You know, this is the eighties, you know it was going way back. And then they would suck the boiled egg through the top of a pepsi bottle.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 7: The you lit a cigarette, that's why you did it at home.
Speaker 2: But you do it at home. They encourage you to do that at home.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay. You know they used to have pepsis to come in those glass.
Speaker 2: Bottle They still have those in Europe. That's what they use.
Speaker 7: The yes, but go ahead, So you boil an egg, peel the skin off of it, the shell, and you get ready to put on top of the of the bottle, the last bottle. But first you put a piece of burning paper down in the bottle and you put that hard boiled egg on top of it, and it sucks the egg right down to the bottle.
Speaker 2: What's it supposed to teach you? Egg sucking? I don't know.
Speaker 4: You're egg sucking dog?
Speaker 2: Egg sucking. Yeah, that's a good scientific principle.
Speaker 7: That's probably what they're doing down at Reparena.
Speaker 6: They should use their science to figure out the traffic pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well a cigarette?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Who's up next?
Speaker 4: Shame from Grayson Shane?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Shane.
Speaker 8: How the gunpowers are they good? Hey? You're talking about the dark thing? You went too? How crazy it was? I just a little information here from Kentucky and Carter County. We had the at one time had the number one women's ranked dart thrower in the United States.
Speaker 5: So I'm not I'm not disputing that, shamee. But how do you know that? Like, like, where are the work? Where are the United States dart rankings?
Speaker 8: Well, there's actually a dart magazine. There's an Okay, And how I know this is because my grandmother's next door neighbor. She's that's her name is Sue Qualls. I talked to her. She said it was fine to tell her name. She was a professional dart thrower in back of the nineties and number one United States.
Speaker 2: Okay, but first of all, I'm sure Sue was a great dark player. Is this Sue that told you that? Or did you see it yourself?
Speaker 8: Well, it's in the magazine.
Speaker 2: Do you have the magazine?
Speaker 8: I mean, I've got a coffee with my I've got a coffee in the magazine and not in my hand. It's in my house.
Speaker 2: Here, Shane, Shane Shannon, are you there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm here, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 2: I got you. It looks like we lost every.
Speaker 4: No, I got you. No, You're good. I can hear you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, where why didn't you respond? I just said Oh well, we couldn't hear you for a minute, Shane.
Speaker 4: And Shane's still there too, he was still talking.
Speaker 2: So go ahead, Shane. Did you do have the magazine then?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I do have magazine in my house somewhere. And in ninety five she represented the United States on the World Cup team in Swortzerland.
Speaker 2: Look at that? About that?
Speaker 5: Who knew that Grayson Catty had that level of of of darts?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And then never dreamed it?
Speaker 2: Right? All right, I appreciate the call. Kentucky has a has a has a heavy dart.
Speaker 7: His sus a celebrity over there in Carter County.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I apparently, as always, Sue. As I get back, my heart just collapses. Apparently we fell off the air in Lexi Ton. There might be baseball in Louisville. I'm still doing this show and hopefully you'll be here when we return this place.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: TJ Smith, personal injury attorney called TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage.
Speaker 4: Here's Matt Jones, walk ame back.
Speaker 5: It is Kentucky Sports Radio eight five, nine two, eight twenty two eighty seven. The name of the thing downtown is the Student Technology Leadership Project.
Speaker 2: State Championship, OH State Championship.
Speaker 5: They certainly made that easy to say, the Student Technology Leadership Projects State Championship. Six words STLPSC and it means a lot of buses downtown and a lot of Uh. Well, I mean, I don't want to say nerds, but nerds one person rights, Matt. It takes a lot of golf for you to call kids nerds. You were dancing with Janet Reno. There's nothing nerdier than that.
Speaker 2: No, that was hot.
Speaker 7: Well, we've seen the photo. I don't know how the right word I would use.
Speaker 5: No, I mean that Janda Reno, she was the attorney general. You think about it. I mean you could have you could go and Alberta. I dance with all Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and you.
Speaker 6: And Alberto were dancing and Alberto electric slotting Pam Bondieu.
Speaker 2: Who was who was Biden's attorney general? Oh, Merrick Garland.
Speaker 5: I've I don't know if I've danced, but I've had a beer with Mary.
Speaker 2: Wow. You know I I do things with the attorney generals.
Speaker 7: And you are you have kind of self proclaimed king of the nerds. You know, you know, you know, you don't hide the factory nerd.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with being wrong with be like, don't let you know.
Speaker 5: You can't be made to feel bad Ryan unless you participate in it.
Speaker 7: Oh, I read that philosophy.
Speaker 5: You can't be made to feel lesser unless you participate in it. You can't feel lesser unless you actively allow that to happen.
Speaker 7: Which brings me up. You asking anything Wednesday? Can I ask you a question?
Speaker 2: Sure if you want?
Speaker 7: You're not You talked about what you did in after Dam. You don't talk about the fellowship and you know one time you do a play, did you what did you do in your fellowship this time?
Speaker 5: So we did a lot of read that. The topic of this was like it was a heavy set of stuff. It was actually about like when leadership can turn nasty. You know, we were there where the Holocaust is, so we sort of spent a lot of time studying like how did when Hitler was in charge, Like he didn't just start and just start killing the Jews. It was a process, like he got people to accept little things along the way that at the end almost everybody would have said, that's awful, but they slowly desensitized themselves by agreeing to stuff along the way, and then all of a sudden they were like, well, people are like, wait a minute, where's this going. So we were studying how that happens, not just in the Holocaust but throughout history. And uh, like, we read a book. Okay, this was an entry we had. We read a little book. Here was the story.
Speaker 2: It was called the Visit.
Speaker 5: And this woman she had been like, this man in town had gotten her pregnant and then disappeared. And when he disappeared, she became like a billionaire. Okay, and so this is an old book, so let's just say now she became like, we're twenty billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: She comes back to the town, the man is living in the town, and she says, dear town, I'm worth twenty billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Town. I will give you ten billion.
Speaker 5: Dollars five billion for year city to make it the nicest city in the world, because it had been like run down because coal had gone away. It was actually this is in Europe, but it was a cold town. And I'll take the other five billion and split it amongst the citizens.
Speaker 2: You each will get the five billion, and.
Speaker 5: They're all like, that's awesome, and she goes, but there's only one thing you have to do. We have to kill that guy.
Speaker 7: Oh my, we.
Speaker 2: Have to kill that guy.
Speaker 5: And he had done something wrong, he had gotten her pregnant and left and not supported the kid.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the book is about the town debates this ten billion dollars would change our town, it would change our lives, but we gotta kill them.
Speaker 2: Wow. And so that was the that's the play.
Speaker 5: And so then you sort of talk about he wasn't innocent and is it okay to make a thousand people's lives better and have one person?
Speaker 2: So like, that's what we did. So that's it's nerdy, but.
Speaker 7: I think it's interesting. So is it like an open discussion, y'all just take turns discussing it?
Speaker 2: Yes, you take away and everybody gives their opinion.
Speaker 6: And you know, did you want to off the guy? Were you in for the blood money?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I mean I'm the person who's like, what is the old Benjamin Franklin quote, It's better for one hundred guilty people to run free than for one person who is innocent to be locked up.
Speaker 2: Similarly, like, he messed up but that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Mean he deserves to die, right, and money is not everything you. I know Ryan would say kill the guy. I mean, I like for like. For Ryan, it would be easy. You give me my share of the five billion dollars and I'm good.
Speaker 6: He would have pulled the trigger before the debate started.
Speaker 9: There wasn't even been a debate. Of course, she got out of her mouth. So so that's so, no plays or anything like that. We had to put on. Then we had to put on each segment of the thing. We had to put on a little play, and I got the final segment. So I hosted a game show like American Idol, where they voted on whether or not to kill Oh.
Speaker 7: Oh, very good, you were Ryan Seacrest.
Speaker 2: Uh, I guess yeah, I mean I didn't call. I called myself Matt Jones. But yes, doing plays.
Speaker 6: So all of us are doing plays. Rhyme.
Speaker 2: Were you gonna do a play?
Speaker 7: You're gonna play this weekend?
Speaker 2: Aren't you? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Been Friday?
Speaker 7: Have you learned your lines yet?
Speaker 6: I went over my first line yesterday.
Speaker 2: What's the play?
Speaker 6: Romeo and Juliet?
Speaker 2: Are you Juliet?
Speaker 6: I'm not, but my first scene I'm hitting on Juliet. My first line is, baby, you must be a broom because you just swept me off my feet.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: So I was practicing my uh you know, I was workshopping different voices.
Speaker 2: Just what's your character?
Speaker 6: I'm Paris in the final scene. I know I'm not prepared.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that.
Speaker 6: Well, good luck is it with the children's It's for charity, so I will get prepared. I'm not going to let the children down, Okay, but I'm not quite there. Where is this if people want to go in an opera house, excuse me, les and children's theater across from the opera house A good deal?
Speaker 2: All right? Who's up next Wednesday? Jerry? Go ahead?
Speaker 10: Matt, yes, any man? Yeah, I was just wondering. John Haughty was on Fine Ball about two or three weeks ago, and they had an interesting conversation about stoops and I guess Halty is close to John somer All, and he was saying that, uh, somemer Aw's the top of the list of law schools this year, and he was shocked that he didn't take a major job last year and that he's probably gonna take one this year, and that he felt like that there would be a lot of pressure on this Barnhart to make a movie because the job that some are all covids is Kentucky and really wants to come here. And if there'll be a lo.
Speaker 2: We've had this conversation for two or three years, right about some raw. I mean, this is you know the I know how Mitch Barnhart works.
Speaker 5: He is going to make the decision about Mark Stoops pro or con about Mark Stoops.
Speaker 2: It will not be to get John Somemraw.
Speaker 5: And when you talk and when fine Baum and other people talk about boosters, you know, at Auburn and Alabama and some of those schools, there's a group of rich people who really pressure the school.
Speaker 2: We have one booster.
Speaker 5: That has the kind of impact to do that, and everybody knows who it is, and he loves Mark Stoops. So I don't I mean, fine Baum can say whatever he wants. Fine Baum doesn't know about what happens here. So I don't think. I'm not saying Stoops is like safe. But it will have nothing to do with John Somemraw. Whatever they decide to do one day.
Speaker 10: Well, it's just the points that talkers making. I you know, I actually I don't know he was in there there, but he was saying that there would be an enormous amount of pressure. But from who do something? But from who at the end, from fans and boosters.
Speaker 5: There are no boosters that have any ability to do anything like that except one, and he loves Mark Stoops. As far as fans, yeah, I mean fans. If we have another bad year, fans are going to make it awful. But let me and I appreciate the call. Let's go to when John cali Perry left. Most of the fan base when John Caliperi left, wanted him gone, right, true. I would say the boosters that matter didn't even particularly like Cal.
Speaker 6: Did Mitch let him go? No, they've held hands on TV.
Speaker 5: No, they went on television and he backed and then Cal left. Mitch didn't even like Cal. He likes Stoops. So I mean, you know, think about how we didn't let Cal go, And there were many more reasons to.
Speaker 2: Let Cal go.
Speaker 5: The administration didn't like him, the basketball office at the end didn't like him, the fans didn't like him. They were getting no denial money, and yet they were gonna keep him. Yes, So the idea that there's gonna be all this pressure to fire Stoops, I think is incorrect. If Stoops leaves at the end of this year, it will be because the situation is such he just can't do it anymore, which is kind of what happened with Cal. But Mitch doesn't fire people based.
Speaker 2: On booster pressure. Would you agree with that? Totally agree with that. Yep.
Speaker 7: You know I always felt like Cal stayed maybe a year or two too long. I hope we don't get to that point with coach Stoops. You know, we've struggled the last couple of years, and I hope we don't get to that point. When we look back five years now, I said, man, he also stayed one or two years too long.
Speaker 5: Well, if he's here five years, then he better have had some winnings.
Speaker 2: I don't think he could stay that long. This is good.
Speaker 5: You know, before the Reed Shepherd year drew you and I said this will be the year that decides Col's future, and when they lost to Oakland, as far as it was for the fans, it was over.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: This is the year for Stoops. It is this is the year. He can't have another terrible year.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I don't know what good is good? Could even be five and seven and your competitive in every game. But he cannot have the year he had last year, or the fans will be done. I mean they just will. You know, now what Mitch does is different, but the fans will be done now.
Speaker 6: Before Col's last year, I sudden July. I don't know that this at the end, but I'm gonna be watching each game like this is the last ride. And part of that was him having DJ. It just kind of would have been a great time if that had a good year to walk away.
Speaker 2: But I'm kind of.
Speaker 6: Going into next football season not knowing it's the last year, but I'm gonna be taking it in like it could be the last one.
Speaker 5: But the difference between us and a lot of SEC schools, we don't have this cabal of boosters that decide things. Our administration doesn't allow that. We do have one booster that has a very important voice, but he's not the kind of dude that fires people. No, he's not not. He's a very loyal guy. So I just don't think that will be uh the issue. Hey, bourbon lovers, just a reminder that the drawing for the next Ultimate Bourbon Collection is No, it's not November.
Speaker 7: Seventh be a long time now May seven.
Speaker 11: Maybe let's just say May seventh, because I can't imagine it's November seventh, right, Yeah, well, I'm gonna say it's quicker.
Speaker 2: But you can go to Commonwealth Causes dot org.
Speaker 5: A six bottle package includes blatant single barrel, an eight bottle package with the Weller Collection and more. Go to Commonwealth Causes dot org. Get your ticket for the Bourbon collection and remember it's worked with Club Blue, the Nile partner of UK. It's Commonwealth Causes dot org. We'll take a break and be right back here on Wednsday at ks Bars, Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. It is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 5: If I'm nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven, one person writes Matt, this is ask Anything Wednesday. Yes, do you think when Rick Patino retires he could come back and have a role at Kentucky in some sort of capacity?
Speaker 2: Good question. What do you think not a coach but like something in the deministration or.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think it's a I would never have said this, maybe even a year and a half ago, but yes, I think someday down the road I can see that happening.
Speaker 6: I think we're heading that way as long as Pope still run on the show. I mean the fact that Rick was at Big Blue Madness immediately when Pope got here, tells him he's already trying to get through that.
Speaker 2: Door, might do it.
Speaker 5: It's Saint John's. I mean they they're gonna be preseason top ten. I mean, he's the king of New York right now, like he's got all this money coming in. It might be that he's just like mister Saint John's for now.
Speaker 7: I can tell you one place. He's not gonna be invited back to Louisville. Louisville, but yeah, you start playing each other. Saint John's and.
Speaker 6: Louisville scheduled the game while you were away. Louisville and Saint John's. Where might be a home, a home he's gonna go to look it up. Yeah, wow, he scheduled a game. I think he's gonna move to a horse farm outside Lexington, because you got Richard just right up the road in Cincinnati. He's got his.
Speaker 7: Job all to play at Louisville.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the reaction will be for him there, you know, let me look that up.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: It was that interesting.
Speaker 4: It's home and home home.
Speaker 3: Wow, that first game at Madison Square Gardens. Second will be played in Louisville.
Speaker 5: So I guess his hope is that by that second year people are not as mad at him and so, no.
Speaker 7: That's not going to happen. That'll be their biggest crowd of the day, and they'll be there biggest crowd of the year. They'll be there just to boo him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting. I had no idea.
Speaker 5: Who's up next, Amanda, Amanda, go ahead, Amanda.
Speaker 12: Hello, Hi, Hi, this is a perfect time because you were hating on pickleball for the bathroom picking you all off.
Speaker 2: Then, yes, I hate pickleball. Yeah.
Speaker 12: I just want to have to ask you, as somebody that loves walking and hates traffic and hates pickleball virtual reac, what did you think about the sixty five million dollar plan for this three story pickleball, tennis and virtual reality center in the middle of the Joe Creasan Park not far from your house at Sellarman like in the wildlife reserve.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, I don't really know a lot about it.
Speaker 5: Somebody wrote me about it last night and said I should look into it, so I don't want to speak on.
Speaker 2: It without knowing about it.
Speaker 5: But I guess they're putting a pickleball facility in the middle of a park. One of the great things about Louisville is it's parks, Like they have an amazing.
Speaker 2: Array of parks.
Speaker 5: So my initial reaction is to hate it. But yeah, but to be fair, I don't know anything about it, so I can't. I don't think it would be right for me to take a stance, so I need to see it. Well.
Speaker 12: I don't know if it's Hooper Settle, but apparently the coach there at Bellerman for Tennis is really wanting this to be built to their campus and his dad is on the board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I don't want to I don't want to get if you don't know that, I don't want to get into.
Speaker 2: Like so, yeah.
Speaker 5: I appreciate the call, but I but I know that's a big controversial thing.
Speaker 2: They're putting this pickleball.
Speaker 5: In general, if you start the sentence with they're putting this pickleball, I'm against it. And then if you put it in the middle of a park, that kind of makes me, you know.
Speaker 6: Would you rather live by a dog park? Or a pickleball.
Speaker 5: I have to hear that stupid sound at my house then I personally will go impeach my friend Kraig.
Speaker 2: We don't I don't know. The may or may not even have anything to do with it.
Speaker 7: I have no idea that Exton built that indoor pickleball facility out there by Cayumet Farm right off New Circle. Do people go, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Country boys opening one by me. I'm gonna live the one. I mean country boys golf simulators, pickleball and country boy tap room. And I already asked for a bedroom in there somewhere.
Speaker 2: I like d H, but why is he getting into this?
Speaker 6: Just jump in, Just do it, man like he just just do it.
Speaker 2: Come on, d H. Who's up next?
Speaker 4: Let's go to Caleb.
Speaker 2: Caleb, go ahead, Caleb.
Speaker 13: Hey, guys, good morning.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 13: I just wanted to say they tell you to never meet your heroes, but Drew, I met you out front of the Tyler Child's concert over the weekend, and uh, I was the guy that threw up the heart symbol with my hands and you were gracious enough to stick your hand out and shake it. But I haven't heard the end of it from my wife even inself today.
Speaker 6: That don't be I was running back, but I think I had a beer. In the other hand, I didn't want to half heart.
Speaker 2: Don't feel embarrassed.
Speaker 13: Look it's good she's embarrassed. And I said, I listened to these guys every day for two and a half years, and do you feel like family to me? So I was just wondering, if it's asking think min today, what's the proper thing to do if we meet you guys the heart?
Speaker 2: What you want?
Speaker 4: I appreciate the call for a bowl, but it's up to you.
Speaker 5: Here's that's a very good question. The key when we meet with the key when you meet people, and this isn't just about us, This is about anybody you meet that you like.
Speaker 2: The key is be kind, be nice. I will.
Speaker 5: I love to have a quick initial conversation, but like be quick, especially if there's a lot of people, right, if there's a lot of people. Now, if it's just you're here in the restaurant, I love to talk to people, but like if you're at that concert. Here's a good question. Amongst the five of us, let's throw Mario and billion who is the nicest to meet? Who's the worst to meet. I'll give you the definitive ranking. Mario's the nicest to meet. Mario will literally stand with you for an hour.
Speaker 6: He'll take your phone number and call you the next day to follow up.
Speaker 5: No, Mario has multiple phone numbers from people he's just met here that he just talks to.
Speaker 2: I think Ryan is second. Ryan will be over.
Speaker 6: The top nice, especially if they're young. He does the handshake move where he doesn't let go and he just keeps shaking her arm.
Speaker 2: Drew is third.
Speaker 5: Drew will uh, you know, Drew's busy, but he'll still be like, hey, I'm Drew, good to see you.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm fourth because I love to meet everybody, but then like I want to get away after a little bit. Shannon is fifth because Shannon doesn't like people.
Speaker 4: That's not Drew.
Speaker 3: Ask anybody who's ever met me outside of OVW. They would tell you I was very nice to them.
Speaker 5: They would, but you also get the heck away within seconds. And then Billy I just sti't think anybody wants to meet Billy.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 7: Billy though, but Billy.
Speaker 5: Is amazingly when he meets someone, he's just as blunt as if you're his friend, Like he'll look at somebody and be like, you don't smell.
Speaker 3: Good's confluity to have, honest it is.
Speaker 5: So that's how I would rank them. I would go Mario, Ryan, Drew, Me, Shannon Billy.
Speaker 6: I just want to say that guy's wife, you don't know what we have going on. Me and your husband. We have a little heart thing going on. And I'm sorry if you were embarrassed, but let.
Speaker 7: Us be us.
Speaker 2: Do you like that ranking? Do you think that's a fair rank?
Speaker 7: I actually, and I'm being dead sincere, I think all of us do a really good job meeting people, talking to people. You do a good job after the show. Like you said, come to the restaurant. You go to like almost every table to say hey, thanks for coming in, appreciate you stopping by.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's probably a lot. All right, So when we come back, I have a draft that we're doing. Oh the four of us. I need you all to get your minds. Okay, this is gonna be one that's important. We'll take a break very back. It's KSR