Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Friday. It's a meat Friday. At that the triggers are fired up, flat tops, smashed cheeseburgers, French fries, It's National French Friday, and pecan pie.
Speaker 2: I think he nailed it, did I finallyed it? Pecan pecan not pecan pecan pie as well, not to be confused with pumpkin pie. I'm getting two of those at the end of the show because I lost the Ronnie James. All these gms let me down. They all made mistakes. They let Bronni go in the second round. I thought he would somehow sneak into the I thought the Phoenix Suns were going to take him. I'll be honest there. And I actually talked to somebody who did say I think they're considering it, and I thought, you know what, this is a good bet. I bet four pies. That way, I can give every one of the Dan Nutes a pine of the face instead, they all get a chance to blast me. Legends in the paints in the pocket, showing their skills on the green Stars are coming out Lake Tahoe. The American Century Championship NBC and Peacock this weekend. Good morning, if you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Coming up, we'll talk to Paul Schemes of the Pirates had a no hitter through seven and his manager pulled him. We'll talk to him coming up. He hadn't pitched into the eighth inning this season, and he's had three games where he's had one oh seven, one o two and one oh three as far as pitches now, when you go back to LSU, he had games at one twenty three, one twenty one, twenty four, one seventeen, a bunch in the one ten range. But if you leave him in for the eighth inning, then you're gonna have to leave him in for the ninth if he still has a no hitter. But I'm curious if he had any say in being able to go back out for the eighth inning. So he'll join us coming out a little bit. Here's his manager, Derek Shelton, on why he pulled Paul Schemes yesterday.
Speaker 3: He was tired.
Speaker 4: It really didn't have anything to do with the pitch count. Everybody makes it about pitch counts. It was about where he was at. It was about trusting your eyes, trusting him. When I went and talked to him after that, I mean he was tired. They did a good job of wearing him down, and I mean he gave us everything he had.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you take him out. I have no problem with it. I've said that all morning long. I know that baseball purist or the old school baseball fans going to say you got to leave him in. Now, if he had a perfect game, that might be a little bit different, or at least I would have had more of a pause with that to go. But I always want to check with the catcher. If I'm a manager, I don't ask the pitcher. I always asked my catcher, and I asked my catcher away from my pitcher, because you just don't want that conflict there. Hey, I thought you were going to have my back here. Why did you say that you know I'm tiring. I don't know if he was tiring. The Milwaukee Brewers probably didn't feel like he was tiring, but that was an impressive performance. He also looking at the odds for cy Young. I don't know if he could sneak in and steal the Cy Young. I think Zach Wheeler is the overwhelming favorite right now according to DraftKings. But could he have one of those twelve or thirteen win type seasons where the stats are just overwhelming. I mean, Jacob de gram won a couple of Cy youngs, and you know one was what COVID shortened. But still, you know, you're did he even get to ten wins one year? Did he win it with nine? I think I think it was like eleven and four eleven? Wait, he won two of them, didn't he? But I don't know. I mean, he was a dominating pitcher, he just didn't have, you know, a big win total that we normally equate. I thought Felix Hernandez for a starting pitcher, didn't he have thirteen wins one year? Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 5: Jacob mcgram was ten to nine one season, Nino one to cy Young eer a one point seven, oh, and then eleven and eight the following seas.
Speaker 2: All right, So Paul Skeins will join us. I don't know if he's going to start the All Star Game. Tory Lavello is the Arizona Diamondbacks manager. Now he's the guy who makes the call. He is the manager for the National League. I don't know when he'll make the call. Alan Atlanta called in earlier and said, Chris Sale is probably starting Sunday for the Braves. He would have been my choice with twelve wins. Great story, but Paul skeins, you want to get him out there. You want that build up for the All Star Game. Thirty two new players, first time players with becoming All Stars. NFL training camps will start later next week. You know, college football starts even earlier in August. You got the Olympics, you got golf British Open, like, there's things that are starting to heat up a little bit. This is usually the slowest time of the year. Therefore, if his story happens now, it might become bigger because it's now, as opposed to in a couple of weeks where that story wouldn't see the light of day. Dion Sanders was talking to the media Big twelve Media Day and he was talking about, you know, his team expectations, is he judged differently And here's the question, and then Deon Sanders answer, do you.
Speaker 1: Feel an obligation with whom you are to perform at a higher level or coach at higher level?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I yes.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm judged on a different scale. My wins are totally different than your wins. Your wins, you just judging football. That's why I have to start out and give you education and academics and so forth. I have to give you those things so you understand there's a greater scope. I can't win nine games, and we our GPA suffers. Our GPA can't be high, but we lose another eight games. We can't not go and grab high school players, and you got a bunch of guys in the portal, out of the portal that is getting concerated. My wins are different. We have to win in every area. That's the way we're judged. I'm cool with that because we we we come a little different.
Speaker 2: Okay. Is he judged differently, Yes, but then he's also judged favorably. Who was the you know college you know, the face of college football? Was he the sportsman of the year by Sports Illustrated? They won four games? So you tell me that you're treated differently. The expectations are different. You're also treated differently in a positive light. When's the last time a team said, hey, how about our GPA? Like stop, that's silly. I remember, was it Randy Shannon at the University of Miami. He had an unbelievable grade point average at the U. It doesn't matter. Stop sees get degrees. Dion, Yes, you're judged differently. You got more more positive media attention than any coach has gotten, probably in careers. Last year, Game Day, big noon kickoff, all former players out there, all your buddies in the media having you on first take and undisputed and stop. You're not a victim here. You wanted the spotlight. You got the spotlight, and with the spotlight comes expectations. You kept saying to people, you believe now. You believe now. Right, you called out ed Warder in front of everybody, the media. You believe now. And I said, they're not a good team. They have a couple of good players who will play in the NFL. They didn't have depth. So when they won, ah, we beat TCU, Oh my god, they were twenty point underdogs. They still weren't a good team. And then the Colorado State game, unbelievable. It's Colorado State. But people can buying into this. Dion knew that he didn't have a great team. He had the worst offensive line in football. You start out usually what games you can win. Then all of a sudden they got into games that they weren't going to win. And don't tell me about GPA. If you're taking transfer portal kids and nobody's worried about education, I mean, I hate saying it, but it's true. I've never and any time a coach says, yeah, you know what our GPA, and I go, I don't care. Nobody cares because you can have four oh students, but if you have three wins, you're going to get fired. You can have students who are all two point zero and go undefeated and you're going to get a raise. So let's not do that. You got a lot of attention, more attention than you deserved, and now we want to I said you better get him last year because if he gets the chance to get players and he gets to build a roster and he's got a better off, he has to have a better offensive line. His son got hit more than any other quarterback in football last year, got sacked more than any other quarterback. That's on Dion. You made all these changes, you you know, kick guys to the curb. You get hype. Kids want to play for you, you got attention, You're magnetic. Now we want to see can you coach, can you recruit? Can you do it year in and year out? But yes, are you judged differently? Yes, mostly in a positive way so far. And it wasn't one of those. And I think Dion probably feels this way that it was. People are waiting to say, ah see, I'm just trying to be realistic. He came on the show, he's a great interview. I didn't I didn't like how he ran off his players. I didn't think they were a very good team, even good team last year. His son can play in the NFL. Hunter can play in the NFL. He's probably got three or four players. Takes a whole lot more than that. And what did I point out yesterday? The great teams have great offensive lines. Can't go wrong. History shows great offensive line. Now you have a chance. Teams that compete for the national championship the last five years. Look at Georgia's offensive line, Alabama's offensive line, Michigan's offensive line. Got a good offensive line. You can compete. Colorado did not. So Yes, expectations, Yes, you got in the spotlight, Yes, but you wanted it. You asked for it, You needed it because you want to build a roster, and that was a bad, bad football team. That's why the job was open. So I want to see what he does now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauling, Like you said, though, everything's timing, and last year the college football season start out. There weren't a lot of good games to start the season. They had TCU, who was playing coming off being in the national title game down in Fort Worth on National TV on Fox forty five, forty two shootout. They won, and it just it greenlit the whole story Colorado way earlier than we expected, and Dion embraced it. Next week National TV, they take down Nebraska. Next week they take Vaska's not any good, No, but it just kept the story going.
Speaker 2: People wanted this was wishful reporting, Yeah, but they had people who loved Dion and wanted him to succeed. But instead of being honest with the situation, everybody rode that wave. Everybody did, and then they jumped off.
Speaker 1: Everybody those first four games like yeah, we're going out game days, going back out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, they're playing the hits. Until you realized music stopped, yes, see, well how do you do?
Speaker 7: You are?
Speaker 8: You playing the hits or are you following the story? And what's the difference. Are you riding the wave or are you just following what the story is. I think they were rooting for the story. If you looked at that team, they were a good team. People didn't want to believe in that.
Speaker 2: When you went and you started playing good teams, they were going to lose. They were going to get exposed. I don't think anybody looked at them. I don't think a lot of people looked at them logically. I think they looked at the story and they go, I love this story and it was great for football. I just don't I don't think the analysts were being fair with the talent or lack thereof the disparity between what Colorado had and the teams they were going to play. Yes, yeahm are, but.
Speaker 9: At the end of the at the end of the day, this is a TV show and so if it's bringing, you know, driving ratings and getting all this attention, best case scenario for everybody and ESPN and Fox. They were going to Boulder week in and week out until they weren't.
Speaker 2: I know, and I get it, I get it. It was a wonderful month of fun months for college football. But Dion can't feel like he's judged differently when he was judged differently in a positive light and he was the Sportsman of the Year. How can you be a victim? You were embraced and not rightfully. So you created a buzz for college football, You created storylines for college football. That doesn't mean that you were a great coach or that you had a great team, because they didn't. All right, we'll take a break. Uh, Paul's schemes will join us, The Pirates, Rookie Pitcher, and more phone calls coming up on this Meet Friday. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. PAULI Fools gohere with Tony Foodsco. Yeah.
Speaker 10: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foodsco Show.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 2: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 1: What are you doing interrupting our promo. Yeah, it wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 3: You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 2: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Pauli and Tony Fusco Show on Ieartradio Apple podcasts oherever you get your podcasts ying.
Speaker 2: Today's Mercedes Benz Interview of the Day brought to you by Mercedes Benz Dream Days. The Mercedes Benz Dream Days here with the exceptional offers the cle Coop E, class Sidan C, classid en Clcabriolet going on now through September third. Learn more at mbusa dot com slash Dream. There were six shutouts in baseball on Thursday, and that ties the most in one day this season. One of those shutouts the Pirates, led by Paul Skens over Milwaukee and Paul Joins is now struck out eleven and seven no hit innings. How's the arm today?
Speaker 3: Uh, a little sore. I' moved it around too much, but uh yeah, it's a little sore.
Speaker 2: But how normal is that?
Speaker 3: It's normal? Yeah, every every time I pitched, just you know, a little stiffness, little soreness, But I mean that's kind of how it goes.
Speaker 2: How is your bullpen session before you started yesterday?
Speaker 3: It was good. I had to it took a little bit to loosen up. I think the day games will get you sometimes so, but it was a good bullpen, probably one of the better better ones this year.
Speaker 2: Is that always an indicator because some pitchers will say I was terrible in the bullpen, and then I got on the mount and I was lights out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say having a terrible bullpen seems to be a good thing. Sometimes you get all the bad pitches out of the way before you then you go out there and just just pitch. But sometimes it's a good thing to have a good bullpen before the game too.
Speaker 2: All right, when did you realize you had something special yesterday?
Speaker 3: Probably after the game, to be honest, in the moment, it was just kind of going out there and competing and executing, executing the game plan. But it, Yeah, in the moment, I wasn't too caught up in it.
Speaker 2: When you go into the dugout, you just completed the seventh what's the conversation you're having or is there a conversation you're having with your manager.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was talking with with our pitching coach and our game planning coordinator more than more than a shelter, our manager, but just kind of telling them how I was feeling, and and you know what I thought about the hitters, you know, going to the next inning, and I wasn't really expecting to go back out for the eighth in general, So it wasn't at all a surprise when when they pulled me.
Speaker 2: You realized you had a no hitter.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you had a perfect game, poll, would you have fought to go back out?
Speaker 3: Probably? I think just just the way that I am. I think going all the way back to high school, and then in call too, like you don't if you get pulled, you get pulled, you're not you're not talking it in. You're not talking yourself back into the game. And so that's something that I think I'm getting used to a little bit, is, uh, we have a little bit more pull here than I've had in the past. So maybe going forward I will start to fight. But that's kind of just not how I not how I do it.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, I wondered about that because you're a rookie, So you got to be like, what am I allowed to do as a rookie and not allowed to do?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 2: Does my manager want me to fight to go back out there? Like, I don't know if you have those range of emotions thereof am I allowed to say anything here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And I think it's It's happened a couple of times already this year where you know, he tells me I'm out of the game, not not just here but also in ta A two. You know, he tells me I'm out of the game. And and then he comes up to me after the game and he's like, well, I was expecting you to fight a little bit more. And next time I think you should fight a little bit Like, well, you're my manager, You're you're not supposed to be advocating for me to fight against it, but uh, I mean it's a little different.
Speaker 2: How important is velocity when you're pitching? When you see something on the gun where I think you had to pitch one O two point six or your sinker was ninety seven? Like are those what kind of indicators are those for you that you can use in a game?
Speaker 3: If any it's it's really good and a lot of the stadiums have metrics on the scoreboard too now that show exactly how your pitches are moving, and and that that stuff can only help pitchers. I feel like, because it gives them a it gives us. It gives us a better indicator of where we are. You know, if our fast balls flatter, if our you know, my sinker running more, my slider has more more sweep on it than normal, then it gives gives me a better indication of how to use those pitches and where I need to throw them to get you know, takes and swing and miss and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: When did you know you were great?
Speaker 3: I don't know if I am yet.
Speaker 2: The potential for being great, Yeah, I don't know. It had to be one of those moments where you go, damn, I'm pretty good.
Speaker 3: Maybe, uh, I think I think we we kind of started to realize what we had a little bit in college last year, you know, because I went to to L s U from Air Force and I was I was a good pitcher at Air Force, but it wasn't it wasn't anything crazy, I don't think. And then got got to L s U and and kind of grew into my body and learned how to pitch a little bit, and then you know, started facing college hitters, SEC hitters and that kind of thing, and and there there was a little bit more noise around it too, so it changed, it changed. It changed quick for me really once once we got into the season at LSU. But that's you know, college college baseball and pro baseball are very very different things.
Speaker 2: Could you have stepped out of l a shoe right into the major leagues?
Speaker 3: I don't know, especially looking over the past year, because from LSU I only had one fastball. Now I now I have two fastballs, and just as a pitcher, it's a lot easier to pitch with two fastballs than it is one.
Speaker 2: Explain that. Explain the two fastballs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically, if they're if they're you know, if they're sitting on heater and they know that it's going to do this, and then they have to worry about the breaking balls and that kind of thing. Uh, those are very different things. But if you're throwing two, you know, fastballs with some villo and one of them does this and one of them does this, you it's it's hard to cover both of them. And so you know, swing and miss is one thing, but also getting early contact and and weak contact and ground balls and that kind of thing. That's what a sinker, uh specifically is good for. That's why a lot of guys throw sinkers and cutters and four teams. A lot of guys have three fastballs now. But I didn't have to fast balls when I was at LSU, So that was something that came along after that that I you know, started working on when I got to pro ball, and but that I think that's the one thing that has made the transition a lot easier for me, is just having too fast balls.
Speaker 2: He's Paul Schemes, the Pirates pitcher and on the All Star team. Did you know, like, are you pitching? Have you heard anything? If you're pitching in the All Star Game, that's the plan I'm lined up to do it. That The you know, the convenient thing about that as I pitched on a Thursday and the All Star Games on Tuesday, so that would be a you know, four days rest, which I haven't done in the big leagues this year, but I did it in Triple A a couple of times, so that that which is normal rest for a starting pitcher for the most part.
Speaker 3: So the plan. The plan is definitely to throw in the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Where's your power come from?
Speaker 3: Pro my lower half to but one thing on it? But I think, I think just being strong in the lower half.
Speaker 2: And then but explain that though to parents or younger kids who like growing up, I always thought, I mean, you're throwing with your arm. But you see some of these guys lower body, especially pitchers. You know Verlander and Nolan Ryan, and you know all of these guys who are power pitchers. But explain how you use your lower body to create that power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think having lower body strength is one thing, and lower body power is one thing. And you can lift a lot of weight and you can, you know, do all that, but then you know you have that, and then the sequencing comes into play about how your lower body is moving in comparison to your upper body, making sure that it's all timed up because they're you know, you can you look at bodybuilders and that kind of thing, and they can, you know, lift a lot of weight, but they can't sequence their body to throw a baseball, correct And that that's a that's an extreme example, but that's kind of the way I think about it. And then you look at guys that are, you know, super skinny, and if I had to guess, they probably can't put up four hundred pounds in a back squad, and they can still throw a hundred just because they they have good power output and they sequence their body up right and everything kind of falls into place.
Speaker 2: You're kind of like a scientist here. I try to be like, are you fascinated with the science of of all of this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I think you can run yourself into a hole with some of that, and and some guys do with like, you know, you just go down to too much of a rabbit hole thinking about that kind of thing. So I try to find the medium there of you know, the science of it and then actually going out there and competing. But everything matters, for sure, and I think the I've been I've been super blessed to have a lot of coaches over the past, you know, a few years who have helped me with my development and pitching and allowed me to figure it out a little bit on my own as well as you know, providing me some directions. So I think I know where to look and what to look at and what to not look at.
Speaker 2: Just as importantly, what was it like April eighth, twenty eighteen when you go watch Sho heyo Chani pitch.
Speaker 3: You got the actual date?
Speaker 13: Huh?
Speaker 3: Yeah that was what was that his first? Yeah, home start? Yeah, it was cool and so I think we got the tickets because Matt Chapman was on the A's and he was playing against him, and so we got him through our our high school coach.
Speaker 2: He struck out twelve in that game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I remember guys were, you know, swinging at splitters that are bouncing on the grass and he's throwing a hundred and and it was just it was it was cool and I'm it from the stands and but it is. It is cool to watch the games from the dotch Do.
Speaker 2: You want to be O Tawny? Do you want to? I mean, you're you how much do you miss hitting?
Speaker 3: I miss it, but I don't miss how my body felt when when I was hitting and pitching. And the amount of work that you have to do to to you know, stay on the field and stay healthy. It's a lot which you know, all the power to to show to do that every single day. That's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: He's Paul Skin's the fourth pitcher since eighteen ninety three to record zero hits and ten strikeouts and multiple outings in a single season. He's six and zero. ERA is one point nine to zero.
Speaker 14: Yes, Tom, We've just received a call from Arizona Diamondbacks manager Tory Lavello wanted to check in with you and Paul Night.
Speaker 2: Well, Tory's the National League All Star manager. Hey, what's up?
Speaker 12: What's up?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 13: How are you doing this morning?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 13: Good?
Speaker 2: And I'm conducting an interview here. What's going on?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I look at I thought it was my time to just butt in on a really special moment. I could see you guys were having your special time. But Paul, first of all, how are you doing. I just wanted to, uh, congratulate you. I've chosen you to be the starter for the Nationally and the twenty twenty four All Star Game. I'm really really excited for you. Unbelievable honor and one that's so well thank you.
Speaker 3: That's that's unbelievable. That's awesome.
Speaker 13: Yeah, like I said, so well deserved. And we're we're super excited to make this announcement. And uh, you know, you represent so many great things that this game, this game Craves. You know, it's it's such a great story. The way you've come on the scene scene, the way you've done done it with such humbleness. It's it's noticeable. And uh, you know, I'll be honored to uh be your manager, and I'm gonna be honored to be watching you for your first pitch. Super excited about that.
Speaker 2: Are you accepting this, Paul? Okay, I just wanted to make sure we got to get it official here, Tory is Paul on a pitch count?
Speaker 13: You know, Well, we'll see what's going on. Yeah, we gotta love the pitch to get through. So listen, dad, that's a tough question for me right now, but we got to love of guys get through. Paul's getting He's gonna throw up a big zero there the first day for us and we'll take it from there.
Speaker 2: It's awesome you called in. Thank you, toy, Thank you very much. You Well, how about that?
Speaker 3: That's cool, that's really cool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you ever get really excited, like crazy, like that's a big deal. You're you're starting the All Star game, Like you want to tell your parents? You want to call any money right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think my parents are watching the show right now. But so, but you know, I'll give him a call after. Yeah, that that's cool. Uh, And I'll tell get more excited leading up to the game, hopefully I have a full night sleep before. But yeah, I haven't. I haven't put much thought into it because I've been getting asked about it a little bit, you know, the past few days, and I haven't been given much much thought into it just because I had, you know, the game yesterday obviously too. So now I can focus my attention on that. And that's pretty dang cool.
Speaker 2: Who are you looking forward to facing that first hitting?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, I can't can't put one guy above the others because that you Uh yeah, I'm guessing it's gonna be Henderson, Soto and Judge. So I'm they're all pretty dang good players. So you know, there just.
Speaker 2: Folks on getting them out of you know what, You're not this flustered. You don't get flustered when you're on the mound. You're flustered right now.
Speaker 3: It's a Yeah, that was a surprise. Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 2: Well, we say all over to your parents and congratulations to them, because behind every great athlete great parents who helped you along the way. So congrats. It's a great moment here and hope many more for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you very much, really cool. Thanks for being able to share it with me.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll always have this, Paul, Yes, sir, Yes we did it. We got you on the All Star team. It's the starting pitcher. Thanks, thank you, Bud. Paul Skeans, all right, let's go. We'll always out of this. You know, that's one of those where somebody's out of their element when they're being interviewed. If he was on the mound and I'm at the plate, I would be acting, you know, probably like he was acting with I don't know. Yeah, it's awesome, Mom and dad, congratulations as well. That's that's a great, great honor and well deserving. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you couldn't see that the first ten minutes you and Paul Skeens, you're discussing baseball nuts and balls. He's like a scientist, walk can you throw it? And then when he sees that it's uh, the manager of the diamonbacks, he kind of has this what's going on here?
Speaker 3: Face?
Speaker 2: Is great? Uh, Todd, good job. Yeah, and thank you to MLB because I just said, you know, Todd asked them if they if they're going to announce it, do they have a press conference? If they don't, can they join us? And I'd love for Toy and Tory thank you Great Sport to be able to take time to join us, because I wasn't sure. And then Todd goes, uh, Tory Leavello's on the phone. He's got to get ready.
Speaker 14: They're hosting the Blue JAYSONID. That's not the All Star we just yet.
Speaker 11: He's got stuff to still do for the week.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then I put it together. It's like, oh, I National League goal star manager. Oh all right, so thank you. That's awesome. Yeah, I know we should single out just that. When I when I when I tell him, and then his reaction is that's awesome. I'm working on the shirt. That's awesome. Hey, oh it's yeah.
Speaker 15: Destroying the hotel room that he was in those I think Paul's still watching here. I can see him on zoom here. Call your mom, call your parents.
Speaker 2: Bring bring his audio back up, Bring his audio Paul, are you just hanging out with us?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Guys, I didn't. I didn't know if if you were done with.
Speaker 2: We're done with you yeah that was you went seven innings. All right, it's time to pull you. You're done. You're done with your interview. And by the way, we have our trigger grills fired up. I believe you're a trigger grill guy. Yeah. Yeah, so we got hamburgers there on the trigger grill. You're officially done. Okay, all right, the best man. I love that guy. He's hysterical. Case you want to go back, so sorry, I know, all right, yeah. All of a sudden I look over at the monitor. I go, wait, oh, he's listening, and then he was just laughing, and I go, oh, all right, we'll bring him back. That's great. The round of applause there for MLB for helping us, and Tom did a great job.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Last off, her phone calls what we learn what's in store tomorrow? And if you're watching on Peacock, we'll go out to the tragger grills. Also, I have two pies coming up at the end of the show because of my bet that I lost, you know, dealing with Bronnie James. So back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. And the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: What a great way close out the week all schemes name the National League Starter. Once again, my thanks to MLB because I was hoping that they would embrace this and uh, you know, it timed out perfectly with four days of rest for Paul Skeins to pitch an inning, Tory Leavello the Diamondbacks calling in, So thank you. That's a that's live radio and uh great to be part of it. Stat of the Day was brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Connecticut head coach Dan Hurley will join us on the program coming up on Monday. Busy weekend in sports. You got soccer, you got Wembledon, there's golf. Let's see anything else wnb A Wimbledon, soccer, golf. Yeah, so it's a it's an interesting weekend where some of these sports might normally get buried, but they're going to stand on their own. They're going to get headlines here. And if it's Alcarez and Djokovic, is that what the final is? Is that set?
Speaker 5: Alchaz just ear Muffett. If you're taping it, Alcarez just advanced.
Speaker 2: So okay, witness, Yeah, beat Medvedev? And then when is jokers Joker playing next? I'm not sure the schedule here, but it looks like they're on a collision course here. All right, findal results of the poll question if you can seek no connor right now.
Speaker 8: If Paul Skeins was throwing a no hitter, sixty five percent of the audience would leave him in. We also put up there how much blame does Jonah Hill deserve for Paul Skein's pitch count?
Speaker 2: Wait, moneyball, you're blaming that Jonah Hill.
Speaker 8: Yes, Jonah Hill personally, it's his fault.
Speaker 2: Does he play that? Yeah? Let me see. Let me get a couple of phone calls in here. People have been on hold for a while. Mow in Arizona, Hi, Mo, what's on your mind? Thanks for holding?
Speaker 11: MORI and Dan Dennett's Yeah, I'm with the sixty five percent. I can remember Clayton Cursaw a couple of years back. He's pitching a perfect game eighty pitches and they pull him just for his health, and then he winds up getting hurt anyway, So I didn't understand that, and then follow that up with him going to the playoffs. He's murdered and they leave them in the game. So you know, just if it was me, I don't really give a red ass about Paul's games because I'm a Dodger fans, but I would have left him in.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you mom. It should It'll be a Dodger soon, yeah, soon soon. Oh sorry, well she does enjoy this for now. Sorry. It is from California. So, uh, let me see Jeff in Detroit. Whoa Jeff is back?
Speaker 11: What up?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 16: One time for Chad Row got a new gig. Man. When you guys are waking up to do the show, I'm just going to bed. I got a gig working for a Sedan company here in Michigan, Number one Sadan Company. We uh basically do like high end clients. Aiden Hutchison, you know those type of gaps. I miss you, guys, I really do miss you guys. Two things, Dan number one, Bill Belichick. I'm one hundred percent with you on him not coaching. It seems like the league has gone towards the more player coaching. I'm thinking that we probably got more former NFL players that are coaches now than ever before. You asked fifty people, who's the most winning NFL coach. I guarantee you forty nine of them will say Bill Belichick. And with the Jalen Brown situation, quick questions, which one with a bigger snug Jalen Brown not making the Olympic team or Isaiah Thomas not making the Olympic team.
Speaker 2: I would say Isaiah Thomas. I would say Isaiah. But that's you knew that there was friction with Michael Jordan with that, I don't know if there's friction with anybody with Jalen Brown. I know people are trying to read into, well, maybe Jason Tatum didn't want Jalen Brown. I have no evidence of that, and it's dangerous to throw those things out there. Jalen Brown should have been on, you know, the Olympic team. I don't buy into you got to play that position or you play that kind of role. And Derek White is a wonderful choice there. Jalen Brown just had I mean, how good of all you know? Postseason? He was the Eastern Conference MVP, he was the Finals MVP. It just felt like that seemed like the next move. It was obvious that he was going to be on the Olympic team. Uh, Bryan or Ryan and Queens.
Speaker 7: Hey Ryan, Hey, DP, I got a soccer uh combell here one for Seaton who's on your short list right now to manage the US and HISS national team now that Jurgen Klopp has pulled his name out of the ring.
Speaker 2: And for you, DP, are you willing to put a cause.
Speaker 7: In your contract that states if the United United States men's national team win the World Cup?
Speaker 2: Will you stay on air for another year for US? Yes?
Speaker 5: That shows your level of confidence or lack of competence.
Speaker 2: I think the same kind of chance that Jurgen Klopp was going to UH coach the US then team.
Speaker 8: That was that it was unfair to even just present it as a serious topic by people.
Speaker 2: By the way, I have the odds to win the Nation League Cy Young right now according to DraftKings Zach Wheeler, followed by Chris Sayle Rangers Suarez, and then Paul's Skeens and then Logan web Fire. Yeah, Spain is a favorite over England, A decent sized favorite that'll be on Sunday. And in case you're wondering the Mercury Versus the fever over under for Caitlin Clark in that game is eighteen and a half points. She's started to play a whole lot better. As I said, they crammed in a lot of games early. They wanted to get as you know, much bang for their buck and TV exposure, and she was exhausted. So you just finish your college career, go you know, deep into the tournament, and then you got a couple of weeks. Next thing you know, you're playing in the WNBA against experienced players, and she was tired and then got a little bit of a break. Now playing against teams that aren't as good, and she's starting to play a whole lot better, which is exactly what I thought was going to happen. Justin and Idaho, Hi, Justin, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: You do it?
Speaker 2: Hey, Justin, just really quick.
Speaker 12: I wanted to throw a couple phrases in for Cooper flag. We got dragged for flag, and well, I think your first one went well enough, but you can go too far.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do in for Cooper ohlright, thank you?
Speaker 12: Justin?
Speaker 8: Yes, saying it doesn't rhyme, but capture the Flag is making a big run on social media. I think that's going to be the winner.
Speaker 2: Did you guys play Capture the Flag? When you were growing up a little bit that I did a little bit. I think I'm I'm a little bit older. We played Capture the Flag. Is that like kill the carrier?
Speaker 14: That's a totally separate.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, yeah, capture the kill the man with the ball? Yeah, that's true. Uh, this change for it's history, PAULI. By the way, the pies are coming up. If you're watching on Peacock, the bonus segment that we have, that's when I get the pies to the face. People are like, where when are you getting the pot of the fait. I don't know if that's what they sound like, but it sounded like that's how they would sound, okay, Paul.
Speaker 5: Nineteen oh one, Cy Young of the Red Sox got career victory three hundred over raided. He won five hundred eleven games in twenty two years, including seven hundred and forty nine complete games. In his career, he pitched over four hundred innings seven times. It's nuts, No, Tommy Johnson, do you that could find.
Speaker 2: Disco dent because Tommy john wasn't born. Disco Demolition Night nineteen seventy nine, Comisky, that's when you brought your disco records and then they exploded, and that's when it all went to hell in a hand basket. Alrighty uh, what did I learn today?
Speaker 14: Todd Diamondback's manager Tory Levello announced live on the show to Paul Skeins he'll be the starting pitcher for the National League in the All Star Game in Arlington Tuesday night.
Speaker 2: Hottest Rookies' Biggest Superstars all Time. Great's the only place to collect them all? Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, Instant classics, autograph cards, memorabilia cards, rare inserts, and more. Start a continue collection now Paniniamerica dot net. Have a great weekend, everybody. Thanks for joining us. Our pleasure to serve you. Talk to you Monday,