Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Hey, I'm back and I'm black.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I I listened to this podcast. Hi guys, it's Mandy around Ambition. I was listening to this because I I decided that it's been you know, I'm such a Broadway nerd, and I don't listen to any Broadway podcast and I've been meaning to sign up for some and I found I follow Broadway Black dot Com, which is which is basically a blog that was started to highlight you know, all twelve women people of color in Broadway.
Speaker 1: Which is highlights still Cynthia Erbia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean this was started. Broadway Black dot Com was started years like a few years ago. I want to say, at least I started following it a couple of years ago. The whole but the beauty of it is that Broadway has changed so much, like it is so much more diverse now. There's not just twelve people anymore. There's like entire shows. I saw a play last week with a black Joan of Arc. Hm Condola Rashad, Felicia Rashad's daughter played Joan of Arc and it was it was amazing and it wasn't like the hip hop version of Joan of Arc you know what I mean, it was like it was just a black story. Yeah, she just happened to be blackmcials.
Speaker 1: Where they're like.
Speaker 3: By Ford, You're like, you know, you could just say, you know, this is a great car. You don't you don't have to hip hip hop size it for black folks.
Speaker 1: We likely all other types of music, all of it.
Speaker 2: She was phenomenal. So Broadway is just becoming. So it's just such a you know, there's the same theater that premiered this Joan of Arc or it's called Saint Joan starring Condola Rashad. The same theater is doing a play this summer which I couldn't even get tickets to because it's already sold out called Oh Crap, Oh Sugar in My Wounds that takes place in the age of slavery between slaves who are gay. So an actual like, can you imagine this play getting made like five years ago. It's it's amazing. So theater is just like it's so I mean after not just I don't want to just credit Hamilton for it, but it just feels like in the years that I've lived here, in the past eight or nine years, going to see Broadway shows. Something has changed the past two years. Like I've never had so many options for to go see shows that are written by performed by people of color. And it is freaking fantastic.
Speaker 1: So happy.
Speaker 3: So I did something today. It was not cheap, but it was my first time doing it, and said, let me try I got let me know.
Speaker 1: I don't, well, Mandy, you have long lashes.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've got semi permanent lashes for the first time.
Speaker 1: And it was expensive, but I wanted to try it.
Speaker 3: And because the girl who does my makeup for events that if you have three or more events in a row, you should just do it because in the long run, it's it's less money.
Speaker 1: So not something I would you like to keep up with.
Speaker 3: But I have like four events in the next like week and a half, and so I said, let me try it.
Speaker 2: And I was like slash, like a lash extension, yeah, with they saw weave for your eyelashes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they well, you know how like you you've seen like that, you know, like there's actually like lashes that you could put on for the day. No, but they actually have one that they attached to your eyelash and they last for about two weeks or so like, so no, it's literally it's time consuming. Actually, I was like, wow, women are dedicated. It's like what literally one hair attached to one of your lashes and another hair attached to another.
Speaker 1: It actually looks so natural that.
Speaker 3: Like I came home and I said, hey, Subpan, like, you know, blinking profusely, see anything different, see anything different? And he's like, uh, literally, look at me from toad toad to head. Your eyebrows are dead. I'm like, sir, no, I was like, my lashes he looked. He was like, oh, yeah, I don't know if that's a good or bed thing. Because I told her I didn't want them to look I wanted them to look naturally. You know, men never noticed anything, but he would know if they looked crazy. So I didn't want them to look crazy, but I at least wanted them to look like I had lashes, because I have none.
Speaker 1: But it was so expensive, Mandy. There were ninety dollars. Ninety nine dollars.
Speaker 3: Someone told me that that's actually not that expensive for a full set, but whatever, I'm yes, and.
Speaker 1: Then to fill them in. So let's you say.
Speaker 3: I wanted to keep them, like, you know, keep it going to fill them in every two or three weeks.
Speaker 1: It's like forty bucks. I'm like, I'm not that committed.
Speaker 3: But if anybody familiar with Lamb Chops play along? Are you familiar with Mandy? I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't start it because it'll never end exactly.
Speaker 1: So that little puppet had like this super First of.
Speaker 2: All, why would you say you got something natural? And then you're like, you know, lamb Chop the puppet because instantly what I see is she had like four thick dark eyelashes on her.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I didn't get those, but it took. What she did tell me, which I knew, is that my lashes.
Speaker 2: Are hold on.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's your example of like over to an eyelashes. Yeah, lamp shop, not real Paul, not Wendy Williams, lamp stops. All right, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I'm on the journey, no way.
Speaker 3: So I was like really afraid that it was gonna look because everybody knows me. Then they're like, I'm you know, I'm slightly like a tomboy, so you know, off off stage or whatever, or I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't typically wear makeup.
Speaker 3: I usually like a lip gloss and mascara is more than enough, and so I was like, I don't want to look like, you know, basically a.
Speaker 1: Lambshop of lamp shops playing a long time.
Speaker 3: And so I think, I think, I mean, and you girls who get glashes let me know, but I think they kind of typically about one hundred and fifty dollars, I think.
Speaker 1: So I felt like it was a pretty good deal.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. I mean my guilty pleasure speaking of group, not a guilty pleasure. It's just like, wells, this is the way my body is. It just likes to grow hair in places where I do not want it.
Speaker 1: So what I did.
Speaker 2: I've been doing laser hair removal, which was always so expensive I never thought I could afford it. But you can get really good deals on group on for laser hair removal packages, like for one hundred bucks, you'll get six treatments. The only catch is that they only usually offer those deals to new customers. In a city like New York, there's literally a like a place I can get laser hair removal on every corner. So it's not hard for me to find new deals and go, you know, bop around from place to place. I probably do it once a year, I'll do like sub sessions. I'll be good for the year. I mean, but the thing is you'll do your six sessions or whatever. But it's really hard to permanently stop hair growth. So real talk, ladies. We're all friends here, right, So it's you know, it's like an investment that I make in my I put in myself like once a year to make to make me happy and you know, not self conscious about little fred and ginger on my chin. That's all.
Speaker 1: How much does it cost?
Speaker 2: Typically, God, like the actual sticker price for a treatment, I'll have to look it up. It can be several thousand dollars because each treatment, Yeah, because each treatment is like a few hundred dollars, if not more. It depends on where you're getting it, if you're gonna get your entire leg done, because you need to have it. Like I said, at least four to six sessions. They say sometimes eight sessions. Per session, you're paying a few hundred bucks. So like for a large area, for like a small chin area, then there's like the medium chin area, then the whole neck, and then there's like you know, the bikini area. I've never done that. I don't have a death wish. There's all there's all different grades of it, so that's why there's those groupon deals are clutch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can imagine, you know that. I don't know. I just feel like I don't know. I feel like Ebos or Nigerian's I don't know. We don't, I don't, we don't know how any hair do you see?
Speaker 2: Neither does any of my African room baits. I hated them. They were gonna canyon for real.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'm like when I say like I could probably go the whole summer and not maybe I'm I might if I really really wanted to. I guess I could shave my leg, but you wouldn't. The difference is you can't even see, so that's what. But the problem with that is that because of that, that also meant I didn't have long lashes. So it's like, eh, you know, so my my lack of hair like really kind of like goes all the way up to like my eyelashes and you know, so, I mean, I guess you.
Speaker 1: Know you win some clue though, but I don't think.
Speaker 2: That's a fair I mean, like I'd rather not have long lashes than have to go have someone shoot a laser at my face every year. So because that's what it is, y'all. I'm not gonna lie. Just imagine someone taking a rubber band, like your little brother, taking your rubber band and just smacking you in the face for fifteen minutes straight. But you know, it's worth it for for society to like depend.
Speaker 3: So right, like sitting and getting my eyelashes done where nobody can even notice.
Speaker 1: My husband was I mean Legit was like.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't know, I don't you have to tell me something, what what is it? And I was like, I don't know how I feel about not looking different for ninety nine dollars. I thought I should be looking like, I don't know, like for ninety nine dollars, I feel like it should be a transformation.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, well, you know, but you have to do it for your see, this is what you got to do it for you on the inside, to make you happy. Because if you're doing it for the man, who's never gonna notice. That's why I stopped buying lingerie.
Speaker 1: Oh that's well, that's true.
Speaker 2: Some men are into it, some men are not. I learned early on it's a bad investment for some people just making a sandwich, a nice sexy girl cheese sandwich. Now that it is a very cheap turn on.
Speaker 1: Right, Like are you hungry? Yes, yes, it's true.
Speaker 2: Some guys are just not you know, like and I'm telling you lingerie is not cheap. That's another like total ripoff. I don't know where these companies are getting off charging so much money for Like I went to a I had to buy a lingerie for a bachelorette recently, like where you do, Like at my bachelorette, for example, they all gave you like lingerie, and then you had to guess based on how trashy it was, like who gave it to you? You know, shout out to Jess for giving me a edible candy necklace gee string. I have never used that, but anyway, I couldn't. But when I went myself to go shopping, I couldn't believe like the actual of like a little like you know, neglige or whatever that you're probably gonna wear for like five seconds. It's it's it's insane. I think it's like someone needs to disrupt the lingerie. Is there, like a lingerie box?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or something.
Speaker 3: It's called Joyce Leslie Rainbow like those you know, like the little plastic like the little cheapy like stories that used to go to when you were in college it didn't have much money, oh like.
Speaker 2: Forever twenty one, like Real twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that kind of thing, Like that's I mean when I was like in my twenties, yep, I used to go there be like, huh this has laced in.
Speaker 2: It five for five songs from May twenty one. Yes, fifteen year old Nandy was really into that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, No, but I totally agree that.
Speaker 3: Some to me, I believe in the safe splurge method of you know, you say, if you do what you're supposed to do, but then because you know you are a good steward of your money, that it's time to kind of splurge, that you splurge without guilt.
Speaker 1: So I say, for my splurges basically.
Speaker 2: Yes as long but again like if you're doing it for yourself and you feel good, then yes, do it. That's that's that's why I get my because you know what, I love getting my hair lasered off. It is so self satisfying. What else happened this week? Oh shout out to my one of my credit card writers. She pointed out that the Supreme Court this week passed, uh, basically struck down this long standing federal law that made it illegal to bet across the country like in all these things.
Speaker 1: Yes, New Jersey was pushing for that.
Speaker 2: On sports, sorry, on sports, specifically sports betting. Yeah, so it was like it was a New Jersey case that went to the Supreme Court. So shout out to Chris Christy the last one of his last Oh.
Speaker 1: I don't know, only we recognized is.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, I mean I recognize him. He's cute anyway, So this means that you can doesn't mean it does not mean that. Okay, now it is totally the Supreme Court struck down this federal law that basically made it illegal to bet on sports any were but Las Vegas. But it doesn't mean that now you can just bet on sports wherever you are across the country. What the Supreme Court's ruling basically said was that it's not up to the government, the federal government to decide what states should do. So it's kicked back to the states to make a call. So check your state rules. I'm pretty sure this means in New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they were pushing for it specifically, and all of these betting companies were getting ready. I saw it on the news like maybe, like I don't know, a few days ago. So they were holding their breath hoping that it would be a go and I guess it is go Jersey.
Speaker 1: I guess I mean more destroyed families. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have the stomach for betting. I am stressed lottery tickets. I can't.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: I feel like I get stressed if I win, and I get stressed if I lose, because if I win, I'm like, wait, I.
Speaker 1: Could win again. Wait no, okay, wait no wait, so yeah, I'm not once I do my once I get one winning. I remember a woman when I used used to teach preschool.
Speaker 3: One of the teachers were like, do you want to scratch off? I was like, now, she's like, I'll get you one. I said, okay, it was a dollar, and I won too, two dollars. And then the next day she said, do you want to get a scratch, I'll give you two dollars from yesterday, And for like a week straight she went every day I won, I kept rewinning just two dollars, and then by the end, I was like, just give you mine. Then I think, like the last day you know she was it didn't win anything. So I was like, well, there you go. That and that, my friends, is how the lottery works.
Speaker 2: I think of how much my father, like my father's like part back to my dad again. God, I really need to like he needs to be on the show someday. But the amount of money he had stuffed into the side door of his Accura when I was a kid, just stuffed like old lottery tickets, a lot like scratch offs. Like all the money he just like shiffed into his you know, the inner console of his car over the years, I mean, probably amounted to like one hundred thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: It has to.
Speaker 2: He spends so much money on this crap. But he's still you know one day one day and maybe I'll like bite my you know, eat my words one day. But anyway, good for some people. Thank you for playing the lottery because it does pay for like school scholarships. So yeah, thank you Georgia citizens for putting me through school, getting my tuition paid with the Hope scholarship. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was gonna say so I don't know if you guys, like, you know, buy stocks, but so I got I had to.
Speaker 1: You know, did you?
Speaker 3: I think it was you that I when I got the robin Hood app. Was that like a couple of years ago when you were like, hey, it's free trades.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was you a couple.
Speaker 2: Of years ago. It was probably like three weeks ago when we talked about Robin up on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Right probably, And so I really enjoyed the app.
Speaker 3: But what I'm excited is because I bought a stock which I'm not going to say the name of, because you guys are going to rush and be like, oh my god, it went down and now I'm broke. But I bought a stock. The IPO was like, which is the initial public offering when the stock first goes live, was maybe like a week or so ago. It opened at twenty nine dollars and now it's have forty five dollars. I'm like, woohooky, So I'm feeling rich.
Speaker 2: How many well, I guess you won't share how many shares you bought mine.
Speaker 3: I bought twenty four shares honestly because it's it's a stock of something that I use all the time, and I'm seeing this shift to like every company that I interact with using this, and I was like, uh, this is a no brainer. Because my sister, who's really into stocks, kind of like emailed all the sisters and she's like, Hey, the stock is coming up. You guys should watch. I've been watching and waiting to see, like what's going to happen. She's like, it's opening at twenty nine dollars, but I feel like it's going to do much better. And sure enough, it's like, you know, it's doing great, honestly, and so I feel like, you know, I feel rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my husband really wants to buy Spotify when it goes public or no is it so and nose Spotify so and knows one of those that's going public. I actually bought my first stock on robin Hood too. This is not a plug for robin Hood, it's just it's free trade. So why not. I forgot I had like a hundred bucks on there, so I was like, what can I get for a hundred bucks? And I realized whenever I go to Charlotte, I eat at the same restaurant, this really delicious fast food restaurant, I mean, not Fat's like fast casual, but it's really healthy. The food is so good, and I'm like, man, why isn't there one in New York City? So I started researching it and I realized it's actually it's like a regional train chain in the Southeast, and it's a publicly traded company. So I ended up just buying the shares weren't that expensive. It was like, how much was it per share? Like thirteen dollars a share when I first bought it, and I was like, I love this food, you know, maybe it's an extrapot way. So I bought, like, I don't know, however many shares you can get for a hundred bucks, And I just checked it because you were talking about it, and now the shares are sixteen dollars.
Speaker 1: I had to see you, right, because we don't we don't give stock advice. We don't.
Speaker 2: No, no, this is literally play money, Like this is one hundred dollars. I forgot about because I don't need it right now, and if I lose it, you know, that would suck. But I'm just I'm just playing around with it. You know, it's fun. I still got my four to one k. I know you still have a million different you know.
Speaker 3: Not my account coin, but yes, I have my safety accounts, my retirement account. This is definitely money that I've literally set aside to do this. And my dad is so cute. He was like, because he invests like in this kind of more a more traditional way, and so when I told him about Robinhood, he was like, oh, you know what, let me do it. And so I went to the house and set him up and my mom up and they each put three hundred dollars in and my dad's I'm just gonna play around with this. So it's just something fun, kind of like outside of like, you know, because my dad has taken care of their finances, this is just something new and fun. And I'm like, yeah, look at Daddy on his cell phone looking at his robin Hood.
Speaker 2: You know what my strategy is? Maybe, you know, I think what I've I've sort of I'm finally investing. But it's like, after I have absorbed all of this information for so long, like talking to different investors and like reading different books about the psychology of investing and what goes into it and the whole by it's very simple like for me, I'm just following the whole Warren Buffett strategy, which is a bilow sell high. So when I bought that when I bought that stock last week on the robin Hood app it's basically it's a red line if it's been going down, and it's green if it's going up. And at the time it was read and for me, I'm only like, my whole thing is I want to invest in companies when they're low, like when they've kind of had a bad quarter or something. But you realize you do the research and you're saying, hey, this company has a good future ahead of it, or it's been solid for a long time. Like I look at those opportunities as like, oh, it's a clearance sale. It's like one day sale. I mean, let me holler at this. So because the the the alternative of that whole the psychology of investing is that, Okay, it's the same thing happened in the housing market, right everyone's buying a house and back and through in this in the subprime lending crisis, everyone's buying a house or you know, everyone's buying let's oh, use Chipotle as an example. Everyone bought Chipotle stock, and the stock just everyone flocked and the stock gets inflated and inflated and inflated, and then something happens and there has to be some sort of correction, like for example, for Chipotle, the Holy Coli scare. I mean, the share is like plummeted and having recovered that much since then that I know of. So it's you know, you have this herd mentality where everyone wants to get in a good deal. That's why it's smart for you not to be like telling everyone what you're investing in, because what if there's a budgetiza effect. It'd be good for you, but bad for the twenty the two hundredth person to hear this podcast and go buy it, because one hundred and ninety nine folks have gone and buy it, and the shares are now going up in value because there's this you know demand all of a sudden, and that two hundred person is buying the stock at a way higher price, and then what if it for all they I have more to lose.
Speaker 1: So interesting. I'm just because I want people to do their I always say I'm not trying to be someone's financial guru. I'm your financial girlfriend.
Speaker 3: And you know, like your girlfriend's is like, oh you like my hair. Well, girl, you know there's YouTube channel you can learn how to do it. She's not there to be like, come sit in my chair, I'll color your hair for you. So it's like, no, I'm hearing more show to like share my journey and kind of like to share what's happening, and then for you to take that information, do your.
Speaker 1: Due diligence, do the work.
Speaker 3: You really should not be following anyone blindly, but Jesus if you're into that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's why I don't share like those particulars.
Speaker 3: You know, like there might be companies I like that I share, but definitely not like hear my hot stock tips because I'm like, what do I know?
Speaker 2: That's this is a good chance to plug. One of our guests that's coming on in a couple of weeks. We're having an act investment guru. Well, I hate let's not call let's not say guru. We're having a fantastic guest joined us on the May twenty ninth show. Her name is Gail Jennings Oburn. She may may or may not share a publicist with someone that we both know, but she's the founder and CEO of an organization called Intent Manifesto and they're partnering with JP Morgan Chase right now to educate people about investing. But Intent Manifesto, which Gail runs, is an investment education platform, and it sort of is centered around a new approach to investing and trying to very much focus on women of color startups, so helping women of color startups get funding and help them make good investments in their companies. And so we're going to have Gail on the show and hopefully maybe she'll have some investment tips to share, some entrepreneurial tips to share. If you guys want to look into Intent Manifesto, look in to Gail. Maybe you have some questions around investing or starting your own business and we can ask Gale those on the show. That'd be awesome. Go ahead and send us an email at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com dot com.
Speaker 1: I think it's time to boost or break Boost or break Booster break.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you really want to go first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because people on the internet could be so mean. And I said, you know, I wasn't gonna I wasn't gonna say anything, But I'm like, you know what, I am gonna say anything because we have to do better, so I have like this. It's like, oh, I guess it's on Instagram. It's just the like an Instagram video of like when I was on the reel talking about credit blah blah blah, and then I'm like, hey, if you're having trouble with credit, everyone knows that I always do these free literature challenges.
Speaker 1: It's been like the last four years.
Speaker 3: So many people have been helped, right because ultimately I started the budgetiese to to be of.
Speaker 1: Service, right, so these videos are great. I never know.
Speaker 3: And then I started looking in the comments and like ninety nine percent of people are like, oh my gosh, thank you so much, or oh my gosh, you really helped me, or my I was able to buy a house. But then you get like probably like one percent that are literally telling me I should read one of the comments, but I'm not.
Speaker 1: You should you should budget for braces?
Speaker 2: Oh ye when makes celebrities read mean tweets. I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I mean that, I'm not gonna lie that will maybe kind of laugh a little bit, but the clever but honestly, like, so here's the thing. It just really blows my mind that you know, folks feel so free to like be It's one thing to think something mean, but I feel like it's like a whole other level to literally type it. One woman, her name was like a some Christian centric name, like like faithful to the Lord something like that, and she was just like going in on me and some and the like I said, I don't honestly, there's so many comments. I don't always get to read all them. And someone was like, how is your name faithful to the Lord?
Speaker 1: Very Christian?
Speaker 3: And she was like, no, I'm just trying to give her some advice so people could take her more seriously and she can be more successful. And they're like, more seriously, ma'am, you're watching her on National TV. I'm I think she's here her, I think she's here. So my break is just like, I mean, it doesn't that's honestly, this is the first time that it's happened like that. I think Instagram people feel a little bit more because I don't really get that on Facebook at all, but I think Instagram people feel a little bit more disconnected. I'm like, you as a human being, but yeah, well here's the thing, Like I've always considered I had braces when I was like normal teenager, but I also have this.
Speaker 1: Thing called tounuk thrust.
Speaker 3: So it's similar to have to having sucking your thumb when you're a kid, but with your thumb you can pull like a baby's thumb out of their mouth and be like, no, don't suck your thumb. But with tongue thrust, it's the same kind of motion, but it's just your tongue without the thumb, and so it's a soothing mechanism that baby like do, like my little niece has it. But it's very difficult to break the habit because you can't take a tongue out. And so even now to this day at thirty eight, like if I'm really stressed, I won't even notice that I'm like sucking my tongue. Or like if I go to sleep and I can't go to sleep, literally, I still will rock myself to sleep during that because it's something that I do up subconsciously and as a result, like it'll push your teeth out, there's nothing you could do about it. And even if I were to get braces again because my teeth were completely straight, then the tongue thrust, because your tongue is one of the strongest muscles in your body over time would migrate the teeth back. I mean, it's not in your business, but I just figured I would share that and say like, you just never know, and thank god, honestly that I'm in a space because if this would have caught me, I don't know in my twenties, you know what, this would have really rocked me and been like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But instead, like I screenshot and said that the dream or we were howling, like yo, she is so mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you have a quick boost? So my views this week it's going to be for the the secret binders groups on Facebook. Have you heard of these? Who you have it? Oh my god, Tiffany hasn't heard of something egg, So let me tell you. Do you remember, way way way back when two thousand was it two thousand and eight or two thousand and four election when Mitt and Romney was a candidate or he was at early he was like a candidate for the ticket, and at a debate, he he had this binder and he was talking about he was defending something about his stance of women's rights or something about women's healthcare, and he was like, I've got my binders full of women right here, and he just like it was like this iconicly stupid moment that that went, that went viral, and then it became like this thing binders full of women, Binders full of women. And in response to that or I don't know, I don't know when it all started, but these Facebook groups started to crop up. Binders full of women seeking financial jobs, Binders full of women seeking editorial jobs, bind Binders full of women seeking marketing jobs. All these kind of like secret Facebook groups where you could, based on like a good shared interest, gather together and to share sources, to share job leads, to share all kinds of stuff. And there are these specific Binders groups that I constantly use to recruit new writers and people for jobs, magnify money and it like just this week I found these three fabulous business writers through the Binders full of God, I'm going to mess it up. I use like three different groups. This is Binders full of finance and investing writers, and there's also Binders full of editors seeking freelance writers that I use sometimes, and there's there's all kinds. So if you just go to Facebook and search for Binders, if you're looking for a job, I'm sure there's other types of binders groups besides just you know, job groups. But it's it's really cool, and this is like, this is better in a lot of ways than like posting things on LinkedIn or sending out emails to my network, because you'll find people that you never would have found otherwise by going through these binds.
Speaker 3: I love that, honestly, I've never and you know, I'm like pop culture queen.
Speaker 1: Well you know it's between the two of us. Anyway, that's awesome. I mean, of course I've heard a binders full of women, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Think you know more about pop culture than me. You just made a little uh what you call it a lamb chop reference at the top of this here show.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: I'll take you on any day.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't. We should have a pop culture off millennial versus one of my am I generation ex is that's the one went right before millennial X.
Speaker 3: Yes, your ex you know me and while about pop culture and I'm like, wait.
Speaker 2: What again, contradicting yourself?
Speaker 1: Tis true? Is true?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: I'm a dialard all back. No, that's honestly, I think that's awesome. I love when one thing I really do. I mean, although Facebook sometimes you just like, Oh Facebook, I just love that people are able to gather around specific topics and and really help each other. There's so many dope amazing Facebook groups, and I'm a part of Like I'm literally a part of a four C group. So you know how like hair is like yeah, you know, and so like mine is like super super super tight tight tight curls like wild's kind of like ringlets, and so I guess it's considered for C. And so I'm a part of a group about how best to take care of that kind of hair. I'm also a part of a sister locks group because that's the kind of locks I have, and a travel group and a Black travel group and a Black women's travel group. So yeah, Facebook groups that kind of hone in on specific things and allow you to gather around that thing, you know. And I may or may not have joined that beard gang just for a moment, just to get my gig along, But I'm.
Speaker 1: Out now, Okay, you got your fix? Questions? Do we get any good questions this week?
Speaker 2: Got some great questions this week, you guys. If you want to send us some questions, you can hit us up at brandambispodcast dot com.
Speaker 1: So at Gmail.
Speaker 2: Well, first I was going to say the website, and then I was going to say the Gmail address. Thank you for reminding me. So if you want to skip ahead and to get directly to us, you can email us at Brandanmbispodcasts at gmail dot com. Thank you. So there's two ways to reach us, or hit us up on Facebook or Instagram anywhere else. I do read all of your questions and I like to pick once we haven't answered before. So if you have any interesting questions you haven't heard answer on the show before, send them on in. You never know. I love looking for questions that I think our listeners haven't heard from before. So without further ado, I'd like to take a question and do let me know if you prefer to go anonymous or buy your name, because otherwise I'll just use your name and call you out put you on blast like I'm about to put my listener Nicole on blast. Nicole says, I know both of you ladies recently purchase homes with your husband's congrats. What advice would you give to an unreari maried couple for purchasing property together? Good idea or bad idea. Would either of you have purchased a home with your significant other if you were not married to them? Thanks love the show.
Speaker 3: So my knee jerk reaction is, oh hellll no.
Speaker 2: So which question to buying with your to buying with someone you're not married to, or that.
Speaker 1: You would you have?
Speaker 2: Would you have? Okay?
Speaker 1: Fair enough?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, because I mean, well here's why. It's just because not to say that marriage is to end all be all, because it's not. But like I mean, once you take away the love part of marriage, at the end of the day, it's literally a contract. And so it's a contract that that that holds certain protection for both parties. And so buying a home, it's like that's a major Like you know, it's probably one of the most expensive during top three most expensive things you'll do in your lifetime. So doing so without like a contract, basically you put yourself at risk, you know. And so if you were going to do that, then I would put a contract in place of what happens if we're no longer together, I don't want this home, so I would enter into it. If I was going to buy a home with my non married to significant other with a literal contract in place, saying like.
Speaker 2: Well, those are called tenants in common I believe, Okay, that's the name of that joint contract. Like if you wanted to buy a property with a sibling or a friend or okay, other that type of arrangement, but not just what would happen if you know, you decided to move out or you guys broke up. Also, this just happened to someone that I know recently. She purchased a her name was on the mortgage. She was living with a significant other, they weren't married, and although he was putting money toward the mortgage payment while they were together, when they broke up, she is the only one on the mortgage, right, so she has to all of a sudden assume that responsibility of basically a mortgage payment doubled overnight, and she had factored in his income when she got the mortgage, and it became very difficult for her to keep up with it. And meanwhile, he's like, you know, skating away scot free because his name was not on the mortgage. So it can go either way, Like it could be a liability to put your you know, take out a mortgage with someone you're not married too. I mean, it's a liability either you're whether you're married or not. If you're if your name's on the mortgage together, Yeah, the same token. If you're the one living with someone and your name is not on the deed of the house and yet you're paying money toward their mortgage payment, then you're not actually gonna be owed anything. Like if they decide if you break up and they sell the house at a profit, although you've been helping them build equity in the home by making mortgage payments, they're not going to owe you anything. So I would say if you're if you're gonna do this, like do it the right way, get that tenants and tenants in common agreement, and make sure that you like your name's actually on the deed so that you actually own it. Like kicking in money, you know, for the mortgage payment does not mean that you have any right to the home, you know, if something, if things were to go set later on.
Speaker 3: Then I yeah, I just it's it's very because even before because me and Superman were living together before we got married, and so even then we didn't really cal mingle money that much. We had one joint savings account that started off as our vacation account and then was like then became our wedding account, and then because we didn't really have a big old wedding, then became our house account, which is what it is right now, like house like kind of like when we buy our next property investing account. So you know, you just have to be mindful that, like, because even in marriage, I mean, there's no guarantee when you're when it comes to money. You want to kind of begin with the end in mind, not when it comes to marriage, but when it comes to money. And so even when it comes to your spouse, So like, what would happen if you know, because even with like me and Superman we have a prenuptial agreement quite honestly, because I had the well, what would happen if what does that kind of look like? And it's fair. It's just like when you versus yours, mine's mine and what's ours? We split down the middle. So it's not some huge, you know thing, But I just wanted to just make sure that he was protected, I was protected, and so yeah, I would just be careful about it. And if you're going to do it, have a contract in place beforehand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting question. Thanks Nicole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 2: Okay, so next question comes from listener to Kia. Takia has a question about Tiffany's jump like Jordan method. Tiffany, what is the jump like Jordan method? First of all, before I read the question.
Speaker 3: So the jump like Jordan method is just a method that you can use to pay off your credit card every month quickly, so it can help to raise your credit score quickly. I say jump like Jordan because Jordan used to jump like it just used to look it looked unreal. And when you pay off a credit card or any really debt in full every single month, like literally, if you paid off your mortgage and full every single month, you know, that would be awesome. But obviously most people can't do that. But most people you know, are able to pay off five bucks a month on their credit card.
Speaker 1: And so doing that, not only are you showing, hey.
Speaker 3: I can't pay off for debt in full, but you're actively using your card so or your card doesn't close. But there's something about paying off a debt in full every month. My friend who's a bankruptcy lawyer, this is what she suggested to her clients who just had bankruptcy and they got their first card.
Speaker 1: She was like, there's something about paying off a debt and full.
Speaker 3: It didn't matter about the amount, it was more about the habit of paying off a debt and full that really had an effect on your score. And so yeah, it's just it's really critical though for the method that you let. If you're gonna charge your card, say like five bucks and automated. So let's just say the gym, and the gym is ten bucks a month planet fitness, So if you're going to charge your card and or Planet Fitness is going to charge it automatically, that you wait to pay it by the statement date, like or basically the date when you actually get your statements, say pay it now, because that means it's been recorded to the credit bureaus. Hey, this card was used and then you paid off in full. If you pay it off too quickly, it looks like you never had a balance.
Speaker 2: Okay, whoops, because I think it's about adding an authorized user to the card.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's just I just call that like piggybacking, that's what they call that.
Speaker 2: So this is the way to improve your credit score, though, typically is to add yourself as an authorized user, let me let me read Takiya's question real quick. So Takiya said, could okay, So she's talking about being added as an authorized user to boost your credit score. She says, could one person be added as an authorized user on a new credit card that the primary card holder just received to make the person who's been added as an authorized user's credit score jump, even if it's a new credit card.
Speaker 3: So typically the way, the best way that authories used to look up my little sister just text me and she's.
Speaker 1: Says, so what about that offer I use to hook up. I'm like, oh, whatever, girl.
Speaker 3: So typically it's in order for it to really work, you want them to inherit good behavior or you want to inherit good behavior previous good behavior, and so you're wanting a card that's been used. I mean, it's not it just doesn't make sense otherwise. I mean, yeah, you can add them to a new card and like, or you could be added to a new card and that person is going to pay it off regularly, so it'll look good for you. But if you want to see the biggest impact, and it's not a huge impact, but if you want to see the biggest impact, you really want to be added to a card that already has been used and has a good history of usage.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't realize that would be that you would be inheriting their good behavior on that card as well as Oh I thought I always thought it was. I mean, I just assumed I didn't actually research it, but assume that it was just you were getting credit for their behavior starting for when you or advocate authorized user.
Speaker 1: No, that's what that's what makes it so great. It's that you know and a lot of people use it.
Speaker 3: But a lot of people use that method, but it's not if you're looking for one hundred points that way, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Another thing about being an authorized user is that, yes, it can help you boost your credit, but you have to make sure that your credit that's actually being reported on your credit report, because not all credit card companies actually report the credit behavior of authorized users to the bureaus. So just double check that exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: No, that's you always want to make sure whatever the kind of tricks that you're using.
Speaker 1: But both of those work really well.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I used to jump like Jordan method when my credit score had went down to a five forty seven after my foreclosure. So one of the things that I did was before my credit score went down, Like I knew it was gonna go down. I was like, m you find to get this house for closed upon you're gonna lose all these points. Let me get two cards. I had one card that I already had at zero, and I got another one. So I did it with two cards and paid them off in full every single month. And it took a little over a year and some change, but I went from the five forty seven to like a seven fifty sixty something and now I'm at a an a oh two despite having a foreclosure still on my credit word because it hasn't been ten years yet.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, thank you guys for your excellent questions. Always appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, before we before we leave, we got to look. We forgot our Instagram peeps.
Speaker 2: Right, I didn't forget. That's the next segment.
Speaker 3: Okay, my bad time for my new part of the new Fab part of the show. That's when we shout you guys out and what you share with us via Instagram or Twitter. On Instagram we are Brown Ambition Podcast and on Twitter we.
Speaker 1: Are at grind of the BA podcast. Oh at the BA podcast. Look, I'm such a shame.
Speaker 2: Can you guys go find the people who are using these brown ambition Twitter and Instagram accounts and not using them at all because we need them?
Speaker 1: Yeah we do.
Speaker 2: We deserve them anyway. So over over the weekend, it was Mother's Day shout out to moms. So we asked you guys. We posted on Instagram and I asked you guys to share some lessons that your mom has taught you, whether financial or otherwise, over the years, that have really stuck with you. And I was really warmed my little my little cold heart on the cold right NY Mother's Day weekend in New York to read to read some of the stuff you guys said. So I'm going to read a couple Maybe, Tiff, you want to read a.
Speaker 1: Couple two yet.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read my favorite one. This one is from maybe all you guys got some weird Instagram names. This one's from instagrammer at our bun ur bona gem. Okay, I'm going to go with that has a Jamaican flag. Okay, hey Jamaica, she says or he says, quote who have rob meat seek fire, which I took to mean in all circumstances, work with what I have, seek help or other resources to accomplish my goals. I love that one because who have rob meat seek fire. It's like, if you have the raw materials, you can do anything. Just ask for help to coompisher goals. That's a wise mama right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'll we run. The baby can read the other one. So girly locks, girly underscore locks. She said, be kind of people no matter what.
Speaker 1: Trust God. Don't leet the house without earrings. Girl. You must know Sylvia because.
Speaker 3: That don't leave the house without earrings. That is her like gospel. Like if I left the house, you look like a boy.
Speaker 1: I'm like house. How do I love the boy? No, but I love this.
Speaker 3: Be kind to others no matter what. Trust God, and don't leave the house without earrings. You've made my day with that one.
Speaker 2: That's too funny. There was another one like that too natural. Nihila said, never leave the house in my pjs. I was eleven when she passed away, but I'm always presentable when I leave home.
Speaker 1: Oh. I love that one too. Let's do one. Oh no, mass see, I know. Let's see. Let's see, let's see, let's see. Okay, I like this dining diner.
Speaker 2: Oh diaries, you said.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the narrow Diaries. You've made a liar out of me. Okay, a liar the Narrow Diaries. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: She said, always have the means to provide for yourself, protect yourself financially. If you're in a relationship, make sure you're still prioritizing your independence.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: I love that too.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: So if you you know, we're gonna definitely chat you guys out every single week.
Speaker 1: So you can always.
Speaker 3: Find us on on Instagram and leave us a comment, of course, follow us Brown Ambition Podcast.
Speaker 1: On Instagram and on Twitter. The BA podcast excellent, you got them all right. My waiting, I was like and five.
Speaker 2: That was a real moment. It's okay, lengthy lashes. Yeah, going to back those eyes at the world for ninety nine dollars. You better be just blinking a storm, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, honestly. Meanwhile, looking exactly the same. But you know, whatever we live, we learn, all.
Speaker 1: Right, listeners, We will see you next week.
Speaker 2: Until next week, we have a good month of guests coming up. Like I mentioned, we have gail O Jennings of Intent Manifest Intent Manifesto coming on. We have Tanya my fab finance Rapley coming on the show to talk about her new book, which is really exciting old friends of how we've not had Tanya on the show in three years. That's gonna be a fun show in a couple of weeks. So stay telling you guys, and thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: See you next week, adios.
Speaker 2: You know that much.
Speaker 1: Just teasing, I'm not