Speaker 1: Hello everyone, Welcome back to The Hammer's Territory podcast is episode four one six. My name is Brad Rowland. It is a Sunday here in mid July, and I'm joined as I almost always am, by Scott Coleman. Scott, the break is over and the Braves came out of the gate with a series victory. How are you.
Speaker 2: Hello, Brad? It seems like the boys used the most of their four days away and came back rejuvenated. The offense was really good, and to take two out of three against technically in first place Texas Rangers team was what everybody was hoping for. That now won three of their last four going back to the Sunday before the break, and even the New York Mets did us a big favor over the weekend and took a series against the Phillies. So the Braves did gain a game in the East. But yeah, there's you know, some good, some bad. We're gonna talk about it all on the show tonight, but overall, very much what the doctor ordered. A nice series win to begin the second half.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely right, and the vibe is better as a result of a serious victory and will waste no time now Scott, let us mix it up, engineered by our friends at fast at All. I think it is clear what the biggest story is of this weekend series victory for the Braves, and that was the offense coming alive. Quite frankly, the Braves score twenty nine runs in three games, and that is a very very welcome thing to see. The underlying numbers were really really good as well. Nine home runs at ops of almost eleven hundred as a team, forty two hits. I mean, you can't expect that every time, Scott, but I really enjoyed myself watching the offense the first time in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and not only did the offense it's come to life again twenty nine runs in three games, but they did it against some pretty good starting pitching too, you know, like Mackenzie Gore. We saw him of course with the Nationals, but Gore has been a good lefty for a while. Nathany Valdi is someone who once upon a time we talked about as a Braves offseason target and is having this nice season. And the Rangers bullpen, especially lately, has been pretty solid. So they did a nice job and to me, twenty nine runs, nine homers, is such a site for sorerise. We know this offense is at its very best when it is hitting the long ball, and it was really really encouraging. So good signs all the way around, and we'll just hope this is a sign of things to come for the next two months.
Speaker 1: I gotta be honest, I didn't realize this until today. Now this includes the numbers from the weekend. The Bridge are now fifth in Major League Baseball and home runs as a team. Does that surprise you? It's more than It's more than I thought they would have, honestly.
Speaker 2: Considering they hit so few homers for an entire month in June.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I mean not that that's outlier for the team, like historically and what the ross walks like, but with as little as run when as played, for example, like with as bad as Austin has been until hopefully recently. We'll see how that goes later on in the podcast. But like it's been Olsen and Harris and Baldwin and that's kind of it. And they still managed to be top five in the league and all the majors in home runs, which thought was pretty interesting. But anyway, we'll talk about individual players plenty later on, including a nice weekend that was well needed for Austin Riley, to be sure, but I wanted to get this out front on the podcast. You know, there was a little bit of concern in some circles about Drake Baldwin reminder that he had this terrible, like two week stretch in June when he first got back, when he went one for thirty eight and had like twenty strikeouts, and it was a kind of disastrous, right. We were never worry but it was like every day it's like, man, this is what's going to end. And then it ended. Honestly, it ended to kind of start the month of July. But I don't know if you'd noticed this weekend, Scott. There were signs before that he went pretty nuclear over the last few days to the point where I think we can pretty m assume that he's back at this stage absolutely.
Speaker 2: And you know, I noticed on Friday night in particular, Drake's exit velocities were superb across the board. I think he put five balls in play in all of them were ninety nine miles an hour or harder. And that's generally a sign that a struggling player is coming out of it. So really good signs from Drake. Had the two homers on Sunday and just such a complete hit or two, you know, like when he's going right, he uses the entire field, he gets for power, he gets on base. Also hasn't struck out now in like thirty five played appearances, which is obviously encouraging, because we did see Drake strike out quite a bit when he was really struggling. That is not really who Drake Baldwin has been in the majors, but just a I mean, in some ways his performance on Sunday was historic because he did things five hits as a catcher, two home runs. I think the great Sarah Langs had a note that since nineteen hundred, only like twenty five catchers have done something like that, and very clearly this was a game ch changing performance from Drake Baldwin.
Speaker 1: If you needed a little bit of a reminder, if you were maybe tapped out or doing World Cup stuff for traveling, I get it. Maybe you were like, hey, Drake's maybe still struggling. No, that's that's long over, which is the reason we're talking about this. He has an ops over twelve hundred over the last two weeks or so it's been full full star turn once again for Drake and for the season, even when you include that downturn in June, he has eighteen homers a one thirty two diversity, plus an ops of eight forty three. And again he's doing that all as a catcher. And if you're doing that as a catcher, you are a full blown star. That's there's not really any way around that. Maybe you aren't like twenty twenty five cal Rawley MVP level, but short of that, like you're pretty much a top you know, fifteen MVP guy in the National League if you're going to do this, And that's kind of where Dreik should be living at this point, especially if he stays healthy the rest of the way, like he's going to get some MVP votes. He won't win it obviously with these numbers, but I think he is a catcher. It cannot be understated or overstated. I should say how impressed that is for that position. I know dang sometimes, but still he's still a primary catcher. Doing this is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: He really does just transform the top of this whole lineup, and then you start to think about you're gonna get Ronald Acuna junior back at some point soon, and you're we'll see what if if Sunday is a sign of things to come for Austin Riley, who had two homers and probably his best day of the entire season on Sunday, If Riley's going to start hitting, Matt Olsen has been so good, Michael Harris continues to be a ridiculously good player, So you can see a way where in the second half, even though the offense was pretty Jekyll and Hyde in the early parts of the season, this is hopefully a lineup that's going to be able to carry them and kind of cover up some of the shortcomings they have, especially in the rotation, because, as we'll talk about a little later in the show, Chris Sale is great, and other than Chris Sale days, you kind of close your eyes and say a prayer and hope it's all going to work out.
Speaker 1: It was a very on brand weekend for the way the Braves are basically having to win games right now, which is Chris Sale was perfect, The offense was really good, and everything else in between was kind of messy. I mean, the bullpit's not a problem at this point. It's obviously quite good and we'll see what Robert Swaraz returns. But yeah, it was maybe the use case, you could say, affirmative case for how the Raves can still win with this current setup. But also, you don't what things goes about saying you're not going to score nine plus runs per game all the time, no matter who you are, So you got to pitch a little bit better at some point. But hey, look, we'll probably will on this later and get frustrated about it. They could have swept this weekend, like pretty easily. Probably should have.
Speaker 2: Swept this weekend, probably should have. Yeah, and Saturday's game is frustrating. We'll talk about it here in a minute. But yeah, you know what I guess if you want to be glass half full, it's hey, you had a real chance to sweep a again kind of first place team in the American League, even if that doesn't say a ton, But the Rangers aren't a bad team. They've got some dudes in that lineup, and they've got some talent at the top of their rotation. So yeah, if you want to be greedy, yes, the sweep would have been great. Well, they should have probably won on Saturday, especially with the early leads that they had but to take two out of three. I think you have to take it, and hopefully they can keep it rolling at home over the next four nights against the Padres, who are a team that's really come on hard times in the last couple of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beat a competent team, not a great team this weekend. No one's say they're great, but a competent and not terrible team. And you almost swept them. And that's a pretty good sign. So we've our teased it once. We'll do it again right now. We'll talk plenty about the rest of the weekend. We'll talk about the pending return of someone like I don't know ronic you and Junior. He's pretty important, the latest trade wins. All that and more is coming up in a second, But first one, I shout our friends at fasten All, fast and All Industrial Supplies Innovative Solutions. If you want to learn more, visit Fastenall dot com. Okay, Scott, let us dive into the weekend a little bit in more depth than our broad first segment would have. Friday's game was so much fun. You know, that's very simple. But when you win fifteen to one, there isn't all that much to say other than it was so much fun. We'll get into it in more detail than that, but kind of been a lot of like rocking chair wins in recent vintage for this Braves team. And for like two plus hours, it was like, Oh, this game is over. They're going to win it, win it by a lot, and that's always fun.
Speaker 2: It was, and it ultimately led to maybe one of the greatest moments of the season with Victor Madero's just launching a baseball one hundred and five miles an hour off the bat. It was a non pitcher, it was a position player who was out there, but really great moment for Victor Madero's And yeah, you said it. The offense, And not only was the offense great, but the offense took advantage of its early opportunities. They scored a couple of runs in the first and second, they put two runners on, and it was like, Okay, this is a game behind Chris Sale, you want to slam the door early and don't give the Rangers any kind of chance, and blowout wins are so valuable. They didn't have to pitch anybody out of the bullpen. Drake Baldwin homeward, which was a great sign of things to come. Matt Olsen, homerd Austin Reiley, even Homard again off a position player, but maybe that kind of is the leaping off point. But yeah, really fun, enjoyable game on Friday night, and just you can probably count on one hand the number of easy, no drama wins this team has had since the start of June.
Speaker 1: There's a chance people might have tapped out before the Maderos situation. So let's explain that real quick, because it's not often in the universal dh era that a pitcher actually goes to the plate. The picture madeos. You might even know who that is if you're not a die hard. He is a reliever for the Braves right now, and this is crazy. It's the first base hit by a non Showho Tani pitcher in baseball since the end of the twenty twenty one season. Because pitchers don't bat anymore, there's exceptions, and like, without explaining this, crazily, position player pitchers sometimes stay in bat and they get hits, but like an actual pitcher who is man Otani getting a hit has not happened for four and a half years, and it's a Braves reliever that happened to do it right after he came up with the Braves. It's because basically walt took Matt Olsen out because he never gets to sit out, so he got to sit for a while. It put Donald Smith at first, and suddenly Madaros is, yeah, facing a pitch player, but who cares. I mean, I'm not sure if he saw like Waltz quotes, he was like, I'll let you swing, just don't get hurt. Basically, it was like, we don't get hurt. You're allowed to swing. And it was a toier point. It was a rocket man. It was like a real nice wing. It's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you know Madero's obviously a reliever, but I'm sure as most guys do you know, they're two way players. Yes, exactly, And he looked like he knew what he was doing up there. In great moment, the dugout went crazy. I'm sure that the bullpen was going nuts in right field. I mean, just a really cool moment for Maderos and a guy who's thrown the ball well when he's gotten his name called covered. The final two winnings on Friday night gave up one run, but it was very much garbage time by that point. But you know, I trust Madero's and he's a player who has kind of made the most of its opportunity in the last couple of weeks when he's been able to go into a game, and if he keeps throwing the ball like that, then I think he has a way to carve out kind of a nice little spot for him in the middle of the bullpen, especially his guys like Tyler Kinley have come on pretty hard times the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: For sure. It was the second most runs scored by the Braves in a game this season at fifteen. You know, we shout lot Chris Sau earlier. It's almost like running it back like we always do. But it's worth just noting how absurd Grissel was in this game. He didn't need to be because they won by a million runs. But he had seven innings, two hits, no walks, and struck out six, allowed no runs and was absolutely dominating like there was no one even coming close to him in that outing on Friday. Not surprising, but his era is two point zero six for the season. And the crazy note that I have to get in here is that he became the first Brave starter to throw at least seven innings in a start in two full months. Seven innings not like mine.
Speaker 2: Innings.
Speaker 1: Seven innings not great. And by the way, the last one was himself, so he matched himself on that one, and he could have gone longer, like I think he had like eighty seven pitches, eight to nine pitches. He probably would have gone into the eighth of game mattered at all. At that point it was over. But I mean, the k was really helpful, especially because we didn't know the rest of the weekend was gonna be what it was. But the bull come is very well taxed on Saturday and Sunday, so getting an easy, breezy one on Friday was very helpful. And Sale was just he's so good man. I know, I saw you sharing stats about him this weekend, like it's kind of boring, but in the best. Let's not take this for granted. I don't want to take it for granted because he's been so preposterous since the moment he arrived.
Speaker 2: So in four hundred and eight innings now with the Atlanta Braves, since that trade, Chris Sale has a two point three six ERA, a two point four to three FIP and this is just maybe the most impressive part. A thirty one point three percent strikeout rate and a five point nine walk rate, good dude, is incredible. Yes, he is the fourth highest war in baseball in that span. And we know that sale missed a couple of months last year and the Braves have always given him extra rest. Just so good. I wake up in the morning on Chris sale days and say thank God because you know he's going to give the team a chance to win. That's a ridiculous stat I mean, it's it's a problematic at that it's the first time in two months a Brave starter covered seven innings. That's your real problem because that has kind of layers to it with the way it's going to impact the bullpen as well. Yeah, but Chris Sale Man, keep him healthy, keep him firing. He looked uber fresh. Maybe the you know, he only threw three innings against Saint Louis before the break, so he really hasn't thrown a lot of innings recently, which is so good. Absolutely diced up the Rangers lineup, but really had no chance against him, and I.
Speaker 1: Liked getting him out there right away. I mean, there's there was a school of thought to like protect him and it hasn't worked larger for the Braves, but having him pitch the first game after the break, when he was fresh, give yourself a chance to have him pitch as much as possible. You're in the middle of the playoff race. Get him out there. He was awesome, And you know, they kind of wasted it because they didn't need any runs, any any reprevention in that game because they scored so many runs. But it was still helpful to have Chris Sale dominating on Friday. We teased out this Saturday game was pretty baddening. The Braves led four to one and five to three, ended up losing seven to six in the end. You and I exchanged texts today during the game about how it felt like it might be a replay of Saturday. Fortunately that did not happen. The Braves were able to win today in a way that was kind of scary compared to the previous day. But you know, we could talk about Owen Murphy, who who made his first major week start, But what stood out to you from the what was definitely a frustrating loss on Saturday.
Speaker 2: So it's become a bit of a trend that the Braves have really struggled in one run games. So since June first, the Braves are three and nine in one run games, and that is obviously frustrating because those are the fifty to fifty games and you would like to think that good teams find ways to win those games. So just something to keep an eye on. You would like to see that correct itself. And you know, there's probably a deep philosophical conversation about one run games and is it luck? Is it baseball being baseball? Is it skill? Is it the talent of a team? I don't know. We could save that for yes all those yes is the answer all the above. Maybe we'll save that for January when there's a lockout. We're looking for segments to talk about. But Owen Murphy, I think there's a lot to dream on with Owen Murphy. I don't think he's ready to get big league hitters out multiple times at this point. The defense did not do him any favors. There was an egregious error by Dubon and Michael Harris where they ran into each other in the outfield, but even after the air, he gave up a ton of hard contact. It wasn't like three runs came into score on that run on that era alone, But psychologically maybe it threw Owen off a little bit. But yeah, I don't know. What do you think about Owen Murphy now that we've seen him out of the bullpen a couple times and now he's made his first big league start.
Speaker 1: I generally agree with you. I think that he's talented, for sure. I understood, I understand and understood giving him that start. I think it made total process since given what they don't have available, they're clearly searching for some answers. Look, I think we would have probably said something similar about Strollenbach when he came up to say, hey, we don't know what about this, like this is obviously the moving fast and that one worked out great for every Schwrollingboch, though you're probably gonna miss on three or four of these. You know, people forget this now maybe or may maybe I try to the diy or Fuenttes situation last year, got a lot of heat from a lot of people, and of course now he's back and been a dominant reliever this season. Gie Richie's not quite ready, as we've probably seen a few times so nothing wrong with it. It's not either right off about o' murphy. Wo's twenty two years old, like it's that's totally normal. But I'm also with you that I don't think he is quite ready to be a starter right now. I get that if he takes about the ball again in the next couple of weeks, I'll understand it. We'll talk about later. But it seems like number when he was already optioned back to when A immediately. And also it seems like he was only gonna go once from what they've been kind of messaging behind the scenes. Unless he blew everybody away, it was probably gonna be a one start thing. But well, can't. He doesn't pitched that much. He's twenty two and like first round pick, so it wasn't like he's coming out he's coming out of nowhere. But he was a high school kid, and I think that it's totally fine that he's not ready, would be what I would say.
Speaker 2: Even though he is not ready, he's not and that's not Owen Murphy's fault. He's only made sixteen starts above high A ball in the minor leagues, only sixteen starts between Double A and triple A this year, all of like sixty innings, and you know, we had elbow surgery a few years ago, so he's kind of, I don't want to say behind schedule, but you know, he's not had a linear progression from being drafted to the majors. So for me, maybe Murphy could give you something out of the Bullpen if you really need him late in the year, if you're looking for a live arm. But for me, I'd like to see Owen Murphy get the final two months in Gwinnett, learn to really continue attacking hitters, refine your command. That fastball is really good. But I do think he's going to need to really work on his secondary offerings if he's going to be, you know, a middle rotation starter, which I think is what his upside could be. But yeah, it just it did not go super well, and it was frustrating because the Braves did get Murphy and the bullpen a big lead multiple times and they weren't able to hold it down.
Speaker 1: We could see it again, like I will leave this here, but I think we could see Murphy again, maybe not desperation is too strong. Maybe out of some urgency they might call him back up in a month if they haven't added the way we want him to add, that would be frustrating. But actually the scenario when it's September tenth and like all right, oh, Murphy's gonna happen to start to see what they have. Maybe it'll be using the playoffs, that's fine, But right now I think he should being one and we'll see. The bullpen did him no favors. You know, it was a really really rough taber Kinley outing. I think he got one out. Yeah, he got one out. I think he faced five batters, got one out. That's not what you want give. I think he was credited with three earned runs and he earned them. He was not good. And then even Dylan Lee, who has been incredible this season, kind of got babboped like a bunch of like weird singles. Like Lee was fine, it just got he got unlucky. Kinley got hit hard. So that was concerning, and that he was the one that actually gave the lead up when they were in control of it.
Speaker 2: So Tyler Kinley is boy. He has kind of broken the bridge of trust with wall Weiss. Crazy stat here. Tyler Kinley has been totally fine against right handed pitching in all honesty, he's been really good again or right handed hitters, I should say, in all honesty, Kiley's been good against righty's, but against lefties. Get this, Kinley has faced seventy three left handed batters this year. He has given up seven home runs against seventy three left handed batters faced. That is nearly a ten percent home run rate. Extrapolate that out. A player who plays every day in baseball, like Matt Olsen, is going to end the year with about seven hundred played appearances. Ten percent of seven hundred is seventy home runs. So when Tyler Kinley faces a left handed hitter, he's giving up homers at a rate of a seventy home run a year. Guy. Obviously, that's not going to be good. I think, I mean, Kiley makes real money, He's a veteran. He's been good at times for this team. But I think Wall really needs to prioritize like not only facing righty's, but when he set to face three writings that you know are not going to be pinched hit for, like not coming out of the game because against left he did. Has been a disaster for Kinley, and once again he was kind of the culprit for things melting down on Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's well said. I don't think he's like unusable. I saw that being thrown around. It's part of the frustration of a blown lead. And I don't think he's unusable, but I think it is he is down in the pecking order now with guys you want to use in certain spots, and maybe some more targeted usage might be in order for Tyler Kinley at this stage. The last thing we wanted to make sure we got to about Saturday is that Jim Jarvis started on Saturday. Now that might not seem out of the ordinary because he's been playing a lot, but that was against a left handed starting pitcher. When he came up. The messaging to the beat guys from Walt, from everybody was like, Hey, he'll probably face a bunch of righties. That'll be fine, give it, give him a jolt him starting as the left. He was a oh okay, And I had no problem with it because he's been useful, solid good. I don't know how much of it I believe, but I just thought that was a pretty clear sign of affirmation on Jim Jarvis to at least let him go until he can't go anymore at the stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, three starts for Jim Jarvis, and it's hard to fault well Weiss for starting Jarvis every game, whether it's a righty or lefty. He has a one oh five WRC plus and forty five plaint appearances. I'm laughing at your note here in the document you compared him to a young Alex Rodriguez compared to what they have gotten at shortstop between Kim is what I said.
Speaker 1: Listen, uh, Jim Jarvis, I think people as usual with any Braves role player that has a good two weeks, give a go crazy, like remember the Juree material files like a month ago when he was supposed to be like the Savior and that didn't actually stay. But hey, for a while, it helped Dom Smith in April for a while, it helped write it. I'm fine writing it. I'm laughing about the A Rod comp because one of our WAC plus is not something terribly special, but boy would I take that and run with it? Give me that all day long?
Speaker 2: Signon and not only offensively is he given the team something, but defensively, Jim Jarvis has been really really strong. He did babble a ball on Sunday, but he kind of made up for it by doing a fantastic job. He basically saved a run on a stolen base attempt. Jarvis kind of deeked old friend Nicky Lopez was trying to steal second. Lopez instead of just kind of seeing where the ball was, slid headfirst into the base. Other old friend, Jock Peterson hit the ball into the gap. If Nicky Lopez doesn't slide, he very easily would have scored on this. So credit to Jarvis. Seems like he's just kind of a good toolsy and tangibles, you know, knows how to play shortstop. Yeah, please do keep running him out there against no matter who is on the mound that night, because I've seen just about all I need to see out of Jorge Manteo, who, like you said, had the great Lisanity run for a couple of weeks, but since then it's been very, very bad.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's okay. We'll take anything we can get in right now. The best option is Jim Jarvis evening as lefty as we saw on Saturday. All right, Scott, still one more day of game to talk about with Sunday plus a bunch of news. Alex I Thomas made some comments injury stuff, a preview of upcoming series. We'll get to all of that and more efter worth more partners on today's podcast.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, didn't required, bonus issued does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot Com gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Scott. It's fair to say that Sunday's results for the Braves do tend to impact the vibe of this podcast. Whether they should or not, whether we let it where we let it or not, it just it just happens.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If they had lost today and lost the series, it would have been a different podcast. But here we are. They won on Sunday eight to five, And as much as I'm a little bit afraid to talk about this, I think we have to start with Austin Riley. I think we have to Yeah, baby, So this is good news, unequivocally good news. Austin Riley had two home runs today off of a real starter in Nathan Ebaldi, and then he also had a crucial two run single later in the game. Look, we've talked about Austin plenty. I don't want to rehash all the strong I'm just simply noting that he has been quite bad this season until literally this weekend. And I saw some people talking about how he was better for the break. He was not better before the break. He had a fifty three to Arciplus in the one hundred and four played appearances over the month before the break, so there have been little bits and bobs of stuff, but like he's not been any better. But hey, he had a really good weekend with three home runs. I've look at this today. He raises ops forty points today in one game. Now, granted, two home runs will do that, But does this mean anything to you or are we just like gonna hold our breath and hope that it's going to be something. I'm kind of on that side of things. This is as a spoiler, but what do you think.
Speaker 2: I want to believe? I really do, and I sincerely hope this is the start of a Austin Riley just set in the world on fire for the next two and a half months and then deep into October, really good signs. And the first homer off Nathany Evaldi was on a hanging curve that Austin did not miss launch the ball. It was to the second deck, down the left field line. You don't see many balls get hit up there. But then the second homer was on a ninety five mile an hour fastball, which was really encouraging as well to dead center field. It was just a laser beam over the wall in center, and then he also had basically the game clinching two run hit, and I think it was the eighth inning when the Braves kind of put an exclamation point on the game. You know, at this point, I think it's fair to have your guard up with Austin until he does it for weeks on end. I don't blame anybody for being skeptical, but I mean, very clearly, this was his best game of the season, really encouraging signs. He looked pretty good on Friday and Saturday as well. Maybe the break gave him a chance to just hit the reset button, but we'll take it. And if there is one player who was not performing for this team in the first half that could give the Braves a big boost, it's Austin Riley. Let's just cross our fingers and hope, even if it's just one game, we'll continue to hope and hold out hope that this is going to work.
Speaker 1: I also would like to hope. I don't take any joy in like pouring a little cold water. I guess just I feel like I have to, just because the numbers point that way. I will say, even when he wasn't really the rules when the results were not great before the break. There have been little things of like he's hitting the ball harder at times, like lots of like one hundred and five exit velocities, and like things that do matter under the hood. And there's a second of our audists, I know, like glaze over. We talk about hard hit balls and ex velocity and all that stuff, but it does matter. It's process stuff that matters. His bat speed has been up to where you want it to be in recent days. Maybe he's better physically after four or five days off. That's that's just a total guess. I have no idea, but there's some stuff there if you want to find it. And the thing is, it's not a secret. This offense is capable of being good with Austin Rabby not being good. We've seen that this year their top whatever they are in offense with him not being very good. But for them to be their best self, like he has to be better than this. I mean even in you've even seen it in national stuff recently where it's like it's kind of a more of a side mention, but it's like, hey, the offense is doing this except for Austin r I was doing this and it's because Austin I was a famous player who's on a big contract and if he's not a great player or with a good player, it does limit what they can do. So somebody was it was a whole discussion. I'm not sure if you're part of this or not Scott over the weekend before his two home run game today about like what the Braves do with Austin Riley, like contractually in the future and stuff, And unfortunately the only answer is like, you can't do anything. You just have to hope that he's better, because if he's not better, you can't trade him and you can't DFA. So it's just like, hey, Austin, gotta hope you're better. That's basically the entire sentiment with the Braves. And he shows h stuff this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it is. I mean, you, unless Austin really turns it around, you have no chance of trading him, giving his contract. He's, you know, approaching his thirties, which is generally when you see decline in players with his power first profile. So yeah, it is very much just hold on for dear life and hope that Austin can hit. And you know what, even if Austin for the next two and a half months doesn't give us his prime a one self be where he was one of the better hitters in the National League, even average production from Austin Riley would be huge for the middle of this lineup. You know, hit for some power, drawn occasional walk hit when you have runners in front of you on base, Like sure, if Austin wants to be a superstar the rest away, that would be a massive development for the Braves and their hopes and prayers of going deep into October and winning the division and all that good stuff. But even just an average Austin Riley would make a big difference for the middle of this lineup.
Speaker 1: Huge, And we will definitely save the future stuff for the future because we're in the middle of the season and all the focuses on twenty twenty six, but him just showing something would be big for beyond twenty twenty six, like having some sort of idea what you're gonna get from third base in twenty seven and twenty eight for a long time in our contract. Yeah, it's one weekend, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna say it. It's kind of like Michael Harris this time a year ago where Mike was impossibly bad in the first half and then he got red hot for about a month and rode that. There were some ups and downs for for Michael Harris last year, and of course he's been so good this year. I think, even though it's been two years since Austin was his a oneself, I think you just have to hope, like again, there's no trading him in his current state, and the Braves are better when Austin Riley is going better and doing what we know he can do, and let's just hope again one more time. We're not anointing Austin Riley back. We're also not trying to poo poo a phenomenal day for him on Sunday, But one game a big step in the right direction. Now it's just a matter of continuing to take steps in the right direction and not be kind of one step forward one and a half steps back, which has been a lot of Austin's twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: He won them the game today. I made it. They won my three runs. He was responsible for more than that. He was vital in them winning a baseball game today. That's a great start and an important factor in the playoff for race and all that fun stuff. The Braves were up for nothing and control this game. Grant Holmes had a very great Holmes outing and extremely great Holmes outing in all of the ways. You might think he was effective through four, got through a fifth inning, but in the fifth allowed three runs. Look, this is very very reductive, and I don't mean it to be this simple, because it's not. If you told me every time Grant Holmes pitches he would throw exactly five innings and allow exactly three runs, I would take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 1: That's not good, by the way, That's not what you want out of a starter. But like, given where the Braves are, this exact outing is like a C plus. Like I'll just take it and move on. It's everything that we know with Grant though, Like he got a couple double plays that were helpful, but he just second time, third time with the order is just not the same guy, rids repeat. It's always the same thing. Sorry, Yeah, I'm not trying to be short about it, but every really is it's literally always the same. I don't know it is.
Speaker 2: It's it's who Grant Holmes is, and he's in the rotation. We would love Grant to be able to go to the bullpen. Maybe they can do that in a few weeks if they make some additions. But I mean, this was very much a Grant home start. I think we could probably recorded a two minute segment on Grant Holmes and just copy and paste it into most of his starts when we talk about it on the pod, because they're generally pretty similar. A lot of base runners, a lot of contact today. The strikeouts were not there, which is a cause for concern. Did get out of a couple of jams with those double plays, but I mean the fifth inning was the third time through the order. He only gave up three runs, and I was like literally pacing in my living room, like, oh boy, all right, keep it close. The offense has been good. It is who Grant Holmes is. He's a number five starter and on the days you can get a win, Thank goodness. The offense really came to life late once Holmes kind of made it interesting again. And it's just again, man, it's who Grant Holmes is. In the year twenty twenty six. The offense won this game.
Speaker 1: I mentioned obviously Riley, but Riley and Baldwin. They combined for four home runs and Austin had a two run single beyond that, so I think six of the eight runs were directly off the bat of Riley and Baldwin. It was kind of a two man show today. That's more than enough. They got the win. The bullpen held on. Oh one quick thing we didn't talk about on the doc. I saw lots of consternation about the use of Rice of Iglacias today up four in the ninth. Did you have an opinion on that?
Speaker 2: I hope we don't need him on Monday night because he's probably going to be down because he's pitched.
Speaker 1: That was the reason why I came up, was because people were like, well, now he's out for tomorrow. And I get it. I in the moment was not throwing things. If they have been up six and he came in, I would have been like, all right, that's that's that's insane. What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Four?
Speaker 1: It's like right on the line, I get it.
Speaker 2: And who would have come in? I mean, Tyler Kinley, Anthony Maderos. I mean, yeah, there's just no there's because Lee had pitched, and Diddier had pitched, and Dylan Dodd had pitched there just wasn't like there wasn't anyone else who And you know you can go both ways, right Like if you don't go to Aglacias up four and you bring in Tyler Kinley and he goes walk home or walk well, then you're slamming the table asking why the hell isn't Iglesias in the game. It's still close. It's kind of you damned if you do, damn if you don't. But I will say for Monday night's game, the bullpen is going to be pretty thin.
Speaker 1: We are not above criticizing bullpin usage. We do it all the time on this podcast. That was not one that I took particular offense to, but people were tagging us and mad about it, and I get it. I get the pushback. But I think the reason why I wasn't botherous because of the state of the bullpen. If they had Suarez, if they had they were okay back there, like, but anyway they got the win, they held it down. Monday will be interesting and we'll find out. Let me get to Monday, Scott. Let's talk about a couple of maybe not intel, well one thing's intel, but there's intel there's some out and topless discussion, some trade deadline stuff. Because we're two weeks away. People are gonna listen to this a lot of them on Monday, and I'd be exactly two weeks away from the deadline. We did a lot of deadline talk during the All Star break. You and I when we last talked, did a five Ways to Fix the Braves, which basically was a deadline preview of sorts just a few days ago. But our colleague on this network, Ken Rosenthal, things off on Friday by writing one sentence that sent a lot of us and I'll include myself in that into a bit of a tail spin on Friday, and Ken wrote the following Alex Nthopolis Comma. According to people briefed on his discussions, Comma currently is more focused on his offense while weighing multiple internal options for his rotation.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Now, there was more written than that, but that was the money sentence that people were watching on YouTube can see Scott's reaction. Notably, he didn't say Alex would not add pitching, but I think we all were like, we can't possibly be doing this again with the internal options that we heard about all winter long. But apparently that's going to be a topic. Alex did talk which I'll let you talk about because he talked on and I think it was LB Network Radio with Jim Bowden I believe was on that show. There's multiple hosts, but anyway, Yeah, thoughts on that and also what Alex had to say for himself into a microphone over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we know how secretive and kind of in the shadows Alex likes to work, so it's always interesting, you know. Obviously Ken is super plugged in. I'm sure he talked to executives who have talked to Alex in the early stages of trade conversations. But to me, man like there it's clear that they're going to need rotation help, They're going to need a bat, They're going to maybe even need a bullpen arm, depending on how they feel about a couple of guys internally. But you know, in addition to Rosenthals column you mentioned, Alex was on MLB Network Radio for about twenty minutes. Friend of the show, CJ. Nikkowski on Twitter posted the twenty minute interview and there was nothing earth shattering in there, but there were some interesting conversations that Alex had. It sounds like he over the last few days has had quite a few phone calls with some of the obvious sellers or teams who think they're going to sell short of going on a fifteen game winning streak, so we'll see there. And he said, basically, they're going to improve the team however they can, and sometimes things are available to you.
Speaker 1: Alex sentiments, I will say, he says that all the time, and I don't know. I almost didn't want to bring up the Rosenthal thing because it was that's I'm not thicking on a can who's doing his job. And this also was before the weekend, before we had seen Owen Murphy pitch and a start like his name was mentioned in that in that call in Ken's column. It was one of those like, hey, here's a bunch of names, and we've been making fun at least I've been making fun of that since January of like, let's list a bunch of names. Okay, you know what Jose Suarez on those lists in December and January, Scott, because I do, I yeah, but no, yeah, you know what Alex is gonna say exactly this, Like Alex is never gonna be like we are training for a starting pitture like that is not Alex's style. He's never going to do that, So I'm not terribly worried. I just wanted to least flag that because I was like, oh man, not like this, please not like this. Oh one more on this? Uh to Bowden today, I believe he said something about adding a high leverage reliever. And I swear to you, if they're spending seventy five million dollars in the bullpen by the end of season, I'm gonna lose my mind. They're already spending a lot on the bullpen as it is. I get it. You talk about the ledge. I want you to say what what you told me offline, because it's it was good. It was a good note by you. Go ahead, call me down.
Speaker 2: It about Robert Swarez making sure Robert Torres is good, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, if he's If he's not good, then okay if Roberts sware if there were not Robert Sworres at all, then then they could take on another reliever if they need to. I just was like, guys, they spent a lot on a bullpen already. If they go I mean, yeah, if you want to try for Mason Miller like, Okay, I won't stop you. I just don't think that's probably what the biggest need is.
Speaker 2: Oh I would stop them. I would. I would actively call Rob Manfred and say, Rob, you gotta block this deal. It's cheating, it's not fair. Don't let him do it.
Speaker 1: Bullpen games in every game, it's Chris Sale in a bullpen game, every series, every single game. It is not a Christ starts a bullpen game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah they would, They would change baseball forever with the number of bullpen games they'd be running. But yeah, you know what, Look, if there's a good reliever and there's an opportunity to acquire them, sure it should not be Mason Miller. And in my eyes, the bullpen is priority number three or four for this team. Behind find the rotation and adding a left handed DH or outfield type of bat. It seems like, you know, Mark Bowman also was talking today that while it's very much up in the air what Ronald Accunya Junior's future is going to be. You know, Ronald has been dhing quite a bit in his rehab assignment. It makes sense to give Ronald some reps at DH. Well, if you put Ronald a DH then you very likely need to add an outfielder in the next couple of weeks. So we'll see, well, you know, we'll see where it ultimately lies. But for me, you know, if folks miss that show where Brad and I kind of did the trade deadline priorities and kind of how to fix this roster or improve this roster at a starter, I would like to add two bats, a lefty and a arriety to really help with matchups in October. If you want to add another starter, I will not fight you at all, even if it's a boring inning Zeter type. We didn't really talk about the bullpen on that show. And again, if if they want to add like a third lefty specialist because they don't believe in Danny Young, or if they want to add another riety because they're getting worried about Tyler and being able to trust him in a playoff series, go for it. But the bullpen better be the last deal that you lock in because there are certainly higher items on the totem pole.
Speaker 1: Speaking a little bit about the injury related stuff, because Alex did talk about Schwellenbach and Strider, there was some confusion about Schwellenbach. There was some beat guys reporting that he hadn't gone to Florida, and apparently he did go to Florida in the All Star break. This is talking about special Swallenbax to begin throwing bullpens. Basically, they're gonna hope to ramp him up in the next couple of weeks. It seems like, according to what Alex was saying, what Weiss I think, either the day before or maybe the same day, was very noncommittal on either Strider or Schwellenbach pitching this season, which, by the way, is the right approach for Walt Weiss to be. I think at this point I would be as non committal as possible. I believe you said on Twitter that you're over under on spencer s starts was zero point five?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: Was that a correct savment? Yeah, I think I'm with you. By the way, that'd be that's the appropriate over run. I'm not sure if I go over under, but I'm expecting very little, and if one of the Spencers wants to get healthy and prove me wrong, I would be very happy about that. I just uh, that's the latest Spencer Strider is not throwing yet still so Schwallenbach might be a little bit ahead, but he had no spring training, so we just he has to really take a while at a ramp up, which we knew, and maybe he's going to floor as a good sign. But even now, I mean maybe like mid September would be the first time he could pitch in the major leagues. I mean maybe earthly September with the absolute most I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and how effective would would Schwellenbach or Strider be if if they are able to come all the way back? And I think that's still a very steep hill to climb. But let's say Schwellenbach is back. If you could get him a couple of starts in the middle of September, great, like you'd be an opportunity to kind of see what he has see if you can trust him, assuming that you're in a position where you can give Schwellenbach starts, you know, if you're tied with the Phillies for the division lead, I'm not sure you can just throw Spencer out there for the first time in fifteen months, but you know, it's something to keep an eye on. Well, we'll see kind of how Schwalenbach feels as he really rams things up. It sounds like at the end of July is when Alexanhoppolis said, Schwalenbach is really going to start to push it and maybe begin a rehab assignment, even if that would likely take a full month, basically the entire month of August. If all goes well, we'll be rehab assignment for Schwellenbach and see and then for Strider. I mean, I'm somehow even less optimistic on Strider. It's been six weeks since the injury. I think I'm trying to remember. Maybe you remember, with your incredible brain, Bradley, what how long they were going to shut Strider down for when he first got hurt, and it's been about six weeks since then. I want to say eight to ten was the number in my mind, but it's I set the over under at zero point five for starts made by a Spencer this year. I would lean towards the under on that. But maybe they'll they'll surprise us and make an impact in September and maybe October.
Speaker 1: I believe, and I looked at it. This is not my recall only in my notes. I believe they were going to say it was a four week shut down flat right away with Strider and then they were going to reassess where else beyond that. And as a reminder, he's almost sixty ail, so he can't even come back even if he was able to until, like you know, August twentieth. I want to say something like that. So it September. I think it's September tenth. He got hurt on like right, I thought it was like mid. I thought it was mid June.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I'm sorry he got hurt in June, not July. Ignored.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, yeah, sorry, it's fine, mid June. We're good. It's this is it's like we're podcasting, but no, the takeaway is surprised, if you want to. I think the Braves should operate as if neither one of them were wing to pitch, and if they are able to pitch, that's great, but they should be banking on them, not basically from a transactional standpoint. We'll be what I would say, So we'll see elsewhere. On the injury recovery front, you mentioned Ronal Cooton Junior earlier. He is spending whatett As has Hassan kim As has a J. Smith Shaver who pitched on Saturday and apparently looked pretty good in foign A third innings, looked better than his last start. Kim has shown a little bit of something. I'm not gonna get carried away. It's minor league pitching, but he's not been getting destroyed, which is what I was like, Hey, if he looks bad in the minors, it might be over over for Hassan Kim, and he hasn't, so at least that's the smallest possible hurdle cleared from him. And then Ronnie looks like Ronnie he had he had this, he had this majestic grand slam that made the rounds. I don't worry all about him over there, just health. Like if Ronnie's playing, I think he's gonna be good. We'll see what that is. Maybe he could be back as soon as like this week, maybe by the end of the series. What was kind of not by the end of this coming series, but maybe by the weekend. We'll find out. But right, he did't play right field today for the first time. That's a check mark, Like he was only dh un till today. So I think I've always kind of always not hard I shouldn't say always. The last couple of years, I've argued that rons are probably DH more than he has, but he's still he still used to play at the outfield some because Drake Ball has got a DH two, so nothing else. You gotta have a D. You gotta have an outfielder for what Drake DHS and Ronnie can do that gets split time. It's fine for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can bet even when Acuna gets activated, they're gonna be careful with him and maybe have him do like one in the outfield, one DH, one in the outfield, one DH and then have a day off or something like that. Yes, please, it's so much more important to keep him healthy for August and September and hopefully deep into October. So yes, be slow with Ronald. I'm glad they've been so cautious coming off basically your reaggravation of that hamstring injury from the first time. In terms of hass On Kim, I think he has another two full weeks that he can continue with his rehab assignment. Keep him down there, as Jim Jarvis has has solidified it. Let Kim get two more weeks of facing triple A pitching and see if he can get anything going. Maybe, just maybe he could give you something in the back novel this season.
Speaker 1: I just saw I think his uh it's been on include today, but he has a one coming into today at least has a one thirty five WRC plus in Gurnett or I guess in the minors. So hey, I'll say he's not bad.
Speaker 2: Well. Kim hit well in his rehab assignment the first time too, which is probably why they were so well.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's like, yeah, I'm not saying that's that's why I said. It really was only worrying if it was like really bad in the miners, it's already worrying anyway. We all know, Hassan Kim might just be at zero this season. That's very obviously the case. But yeah, give him all the time he needs if he figures it out. He figures it out, and ride Jim Jarvis until you can't anymore. Is the mindset there.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, Smiths Shaffer encouraging, you know, like he's it's been a steady build in his rehab assignments, but looked good. Fastball was between ninety six and ninety nine lost. He held around ninety seven four and a third innings seventy one pitches, So I would imagine at least one more rehab to start for Smith Shauber. Hopefully he could go five or six and get up to eighty eighty five pitches and then evaluate. And that's something that Alex and Topless talked about on the radio on Sunday. Really just keeping an eye on aj making sure he feels like he's fully built up and ready to go attack major league hiders, because I think of all the as the Braves continue to kind of cycle in and out their prospects, their pitching prospects. I mean, clearly, based on what we saw last year, I think Smith Shavor has the best chance of being immediately successful. And I think, I mean, if if he can give this team reliable starts every five or six days, it's only going to help. Especially if we're not the Lopez keeps throwing the ball. Well, let's hope they add one or two starters. You can squint and get an idea that maybe by early August this rotation will be in a much better place than where it currently is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will at least listen to optimistic cases for what Ronaldo can give them and for what Smith Shav can give them, those two, I understand those cases. You're gonna have a hard time selling me on Bryce Selder. You gonna have a hard time selling me on Martin Perez. We'll talk about in a second or even you know. I'll leave it there, But I'm just saying I understand the optimism on Ronaldo with what he's looked recently and Smishav because he at least has done it in the majors a little bit the way that Owen Murphy and jere Richie have not notable. Speaking at Martin Perez, people are gonna love this, Scott, I know, and you're included in this. Uh what Wise said this weekend that Martin Perez is quote on the radar, I could return from the IL soon. There's been widespread speculation that he might start on Wednesday when the preyce have a TVA TBD listed. Give me your excitement level one to ten from Martin Perez start after what we saw recently from Martin Perez.
Speaker 2: Four and a half.
Speaker 1: That sounds way that was way hard that I thought I thought you were gonna say like one and a half.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping. I'm hoping that after two three weeks away, that Perez is better than where he was. You know, he was such a godsend for about a month there, really reliable in the middle of this rotation, and then he came on hard times and regressed really hard and was giving up a bunch of hard contact and then got injured. So hopefully the last few weeks I have given him a chance to kind of reset get back out there. You know, maybe the reason it's a four and a half on my optimism scale is because the other starting pitcher options are so bleak right now.
Speaker 1: What he's replacing is not too good, right Like.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't love Martin Perez in its current form, but he's also probably like the fourth most trustworthy pitcher on this team right now in terms of rotation options. So we'll see. You know, San Diego hit Perez pretty well when he saw them about a month ago out West. It'll be if Perez can give this team a couple of good innings, I mean goodness, can you imagine if he can go six innings that would be huge for this team. And even if it's like six innings and it gives up four runs along the way. The Padre Star pitching staff is not very good, especially the starters. So this is a series. I think a lot of runs are going to be scored, assuming he makes that start on Wednesday night. And but at this point, man, like, what what are your other options? It's it's Sale, it's Rinaldo, who's been good, it's Grant Holmes, who we know, and then just a bunch of junk, to be honest with you, and they just hope that they can cover five.
Speaker 1: Right, I have no issue starting more team pres if he's healthy. He actually did get hurt. It was just a total shutdown when he was struggling a little bit, but he got he got hit with a bat of ball, so he went down for a reason. If he's healthy and good, I don't have high petitions for what's going to look like. But I also understand giving him a shot because he was effective, like even for the season. Right now, he is a three point five y r and anyone innings Fipp in the mid mid foards is probably more realistic. But like that's not that's not uncompetitive compared to the rest of the options. So if he looks terrible on Wednesday, maybe he gets DFA and I have no idea what they're gonna do there, but we'll keep an eye on it in the coming days. Last bit of news quickly is that Yaz appears to be a very likely minimum stay on the i L, which puts him back in the next couple of days. I know they've been getting by what they have in the outfield, and Yas is not always the most popular player, but he is better than what they've had, so I think he has being back would be helpful.
Speaker 2: Hey, shouts to Brewer Hicklin, Who's who's good?
Speaker 1: True, he's done a shot. Yes, he's done a job.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm guessing it's gonna be Brewer Hicklin who gets who gets booted off the roster when Yaz is ready to be activated but.
Speaker 1: Starting it's hilarious, but it's yeah, he's been starting games like and it kind of has to. I mean, he's hit the ball well. I think he has thirteen played appearances, but I think he's got five hits a couple doubles in there. Like, he's done his job really well. He's just like historically I believe he is thirty years old and only has a handful of major league games to his on four different teams. So like he's the definition of a kwana player. Like he's a thirty year old just trying to grind and make it. But hey, you can't say anything over that. He took advantage of his opportunity. He's do a really good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, whether fair or not, I'm guessing that's what the move will be. But it'll be good to get Yazz back. We talked about it when he got hurt. It was weird that he had the injury because he had been hitting the ball really well over the last ten or so days before the elbow injury popped up. But yeah, it'll be good to get Yazz out there another left handed option. Can't have enough of those, especially when they're going to see quite a few ridies this upcoming week. Yeah, looking forward to have Mikey Stremsky back for sure.
Speaker 1: And as noted before we get out of here, the deadline is two weeks away, so we are officially on watch. Deals can happen. There have been little little things that have happened around baseball. There was a trade I think yesterday or today, relatively minor trade, but something happened like We're in that window now where things can start happening more and more. The Braves have a four game series at home against the Padre that begins on Monday. Santae would beat the Braves in sweet fashion a month ago. That was maddening during the downturn in the month of June, but the pottery has not been very good this year. They did just score nineteen runs today, so maybe they got right at a bad time for the Braves, but before that they have been decidedly blow water for a good little while here. Unfortunately, the pidget situation until the finale with Chris Sales in the Mound is neutral at best. Bryce Elder on the Mound Baby on Monday Night. Bryce Elder of the eleven Era in his last four starts, so we'll see if it's good Bryce or bad. I'm joking to some degree. Bryce has been good a time this year. It just hasn't been for a while now. So maybe maybe he gets maybe he gets right on Minna Night at Hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hope. Yeah. Bryce Elder against lefty JP Sears. Sears is not very good so.
Speaker 1: Just a guy. Yeah, he's not impressive fiddle, So yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think Sears did pitch against the Braves in that series in San Diego and pitched well, although that was like that West Coast trip in June. For the Braves there was probably the worst of the season just in terms of performance and offense. It was hideous baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two thirds and give up two runs in a game that the Braves lost on June twenty fourth, rough week.
Speaker 2: But you know, Tuesday night, Ronaldo Lopez against Walker Bueller is a solid enough matchup. Probably Martine Perez on Wednesday Night against Michael King aka Greg Mannix himself whenever he sees the Braves. Michael King has just killed this team over the year. I mean, he's a good pitcher and he got paid well in the offseason. But and then Thursday is a gigantic lean towards the Braves. Chris Saale against Griffin Canning. Griffin Canning has been Braves, Braves legend, Griffin Canning as he is best known in these parties. Yes, that's Braves legend himself. Yeah, but Canning has been very bad this year. So at least Thursday Night you should keyword should win that game on Thursday. Hopefully you can take two out of those first three games, even if the pitching matchups are not ideal, and if you can take three to four against the Padres, it might also be like the nail on the coffin. For San Diego, there's a real chance they're selling at the deadline. They have a horrible run differential. They've been well below five hundred since late April. It's just not a great team. They do have some talented players Machado and Tatis and Merrill, but all those guys are underperforming this year. It is a series I would say at home that you would really like to take three out of four in But I mean, I guess if they go too and two, it's not the absolute end of the world. But you certainly do not want to lose this series at home, to say it kindly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just checked our friends at FanDuel. Actually the Brave. The Braves are favored on Monday Night with Bryce Elter on the mound, So that kind of tells you what this series should be on paper. Betty market Iever, you want to frame this not saying they should sweep them or anything like that, like that's obviously would be great, But I think I think a three to one series win is what you are hoping for projecting, et cetera. If they don't do that, yeah, if they if they go to and two, am I gonna yell on scream no. But if they lose, the series would not be ideal going into the break and not the break going into the deadline as we're talking about that. But yeah, we'll see a pretty roughitch matchup on both sides on Monday. The over under is nine, pretty high. We'll see what goes on with Bryce Elder and JPS. Here's anything the add Scott before we get out of here on a lengthy Sunday night podcast because it's you and me and that's what we do.
Speaker 2: That is indeed what we do on Sundays. Yeah, good series win for the Braves. Nice win over the Rangers. Took you out of three the very easily been a swept sweep, and you have an opportunity for games on the horizon against the Padres team you really should be able to beat up on. Just hopefully you just keep building off lists. We know how bad June was, or at least most of June. We know how frustrating parts of July have been. But good signs, especially offensively. Maybe just maybe the starting rotation can give this team some innings to help out the bullpen, because the bullpen is going to be very thin on Monday night. So one more time, if we're watching on Monday and it's like, wow, why is JR. Richie throwing a one inning game or a one run game of the eighth inning, It's because nobody else is available. So keep that in mind. But let's get back out there. Maybe Bryce Elder can find himself even even just be serviceable and give this team a few innings would really help this team as we as we approach the deadline, getting closer and closer to that very exciting time of the calendar.
Speaker 1: We are getting there two weeks from Monday, So stay tuned, lock in throughout this process, and please subscribe to Hammior Territory anywhere you find your podcast, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, etc. We have plenty of show those coming and play them shows that are still relevant in the podcast feed. Right now, I'm putting all the stuff in the brake is still really up to speed for the most part, hasn't much hasn't much change. If you missed anything last week, dive into that. Tell your friends about the podcast follows social media, Hammer Territory and we'll have much more coming up with this later this week. So for Scott's name's Brad Roland, let's get out of here. Scott, thank you for listening, everybody, and we'll see you all next time.