Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, those levels are at four year highs for oil as President Trump keeps his naval blockade on Iran's ports and reportedly considers new strikes. The President says a deal has to include Iron giving up its nuclear program.
Speaker 4: They've come a long way.
Speaker 5: The question is whether or not they're going to go far enough.
Speaker 6: So at this moment, there will never be a deal unless they agree that.
Speaker 4: There will be no no clear workers.
Speaker 3: President Trump spoke at the White House yesterday. This morning, Axios is reporting that the President will meet later today with the head of US Central Command to discuss potential new military options. We get more from Bloomberg's Jumana Bursecci in Duban.
Speaker 7: Those include targeted and limited operations. Could be limited attacks on infrastructure once again, it could be a Special Forces operation to go and extract highly enriched uranium that there's also talk about a specific operation that they would conduct to reopen a small part of the street to allow for commercial vessels to pass through.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Jumana BURSETCI reports those options had crude oil on the Brent trading as high as one hundred and twenty six dollars a barrel overnight. Right now, Brent is up two and a half percent at just about one hundred and twenty one dollars West Texas Intermediate. It's just shy of one hundred and eight, and the war is really adding to painted the pump. In California, Triple A says that state's average gas price topped six dollars a gallon for the first time since October of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: On Nithan, Defense Secretary Pete Haiks had faced questions about the war as he appeared before the House Armed Services Committee to defend the Pentagons proposed one point five trillion dollar budget. Bloomberg's Amy Morris supports from Washington.
Speaker 8: The budget request is on top of a trillion dollar appropriations from congressional lawmakers for this fiscal year. Lawmakers questioned hag Seth over the war's economic impact, noting that it's cost twenty five billion dollars so far. Ranking Member Adam Smith of Washington.
Speaker 9: We had to start this war, you just said, sixty days ago because the nuclear weapon was an imminent threat. Now you're saying that it was completely obliterate.
Speaker 4: Had not given up their nuclear ambitions.
Speaker 8: Hag Seth dismissed the criticism as political and rebuked lawmakers both Republicans and Democrats, who pushed him for answers in Washington. Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Amy, thanks, the latest war developments and surging oil prices maybe overshadowing the latest earnings from big tech. Let's start with Alphabet. Shares of the Google parent are up more than six percent in early trading. I get the details from Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 10: Google's cloud business, which only became profitable three years ago, continues to grow quickly, accelerated by demand for AI software and infrastructure. The Gemini chatbot app and enterprise tools are gaining in popularity. The company expects to spend up to one hundred ninety billion dollars this year on capital expenditures. That's up from a previous estimate of one hundred eighty five billion dollars, which was already double what it's spent in twenty twenty five. John Tucker, Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Radio, All right, John, thank you. Amazon shares they are up almost two percent. This morning, the company reported sales and profit that beat analyst estimates. Shar's got a boost in part by a Bloomberg report that Anthropic, one of Amazon's biggest AI investments, is weighing a funding round that may more than double its valuation to nine hundred billion dollars. CEO Andy jase He says Amazon is spending at a rapid rate to expand data center capacity to meet the intense demand for artificial intelligence computing power.
Speaker 6: I think it's no secret that you've got you know, the AI labs are spending an incredible amount of money on compute at this point, and you can compute both on the AI side as well as on the core side.
Speaker 2: CEO Andy Jassey says, sales at Amazon Web Services we're thirty seven point six billion dollars during the quarter. That's of twenty eight percent from a year ago.
Speaker 3: Well, on the flip side, care and shares of meta platforms are down about eight and a quarter percent in early trading. The Facebook parent is raising its spending out look for the year, now projecting full year capital expenditures of one hundred and twenty five to one hundred and forty five billion dollars driven by Meta's AI strategy and higher component pricing. Now that exceeds analyst estimates and marks the roughly seven point four percent increase from Meta's previous projections back in January.
Speaker 2: Hey then charees a Microsoft. They're down more than one and a half percent. The world's largest software company expects sales in its Azure cloud unit to increase about forty percent in the current quarter and anticipates modest acceleration in the second half of the calendar year. It did say capital expenditures, largely for data centers, will total about one hundred and ninety billion dollar to the end of December, and that's more than Wall Street had expected.
Speaker 3: Karen Shares of Qualcomm are surging ten and a half percent. The biggest maker of smartphone processor says it's making headway in the lucrative data center market and predicts the China phone industry will bounce back. Big tech earnings continue today. We hear from Apple this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Well. Nathan Shares at Belle Ackman's Pershing Square USA plunged eighteen percent in its small Street debut. The drop came after they combined initial public offering for the closed end fond and his alternative asset manager raised five billion dollars. Pershing was hoping to bring in twenty five billion. Ackman spoke with Bloomberg yesterday about his goal to build a long term diversified holdings company like Warren Buffett.
Speaker 11: Look at Berkshire for the last sixty years, it's built most of its value running becoming effectively an insurance holding company. That's what Buffett is built over time, and it was his successful management of the assets. When you hear Buffet buying Apple, it wasn't Buffet buying Apple. It wasn't even Berkshire buying Apple. The Berkshire insurance subsidiaries buying Apple. And we're going to do the same thing. We're going to manage A goal of how to use is to build a long term, diverse fight holding company akin to what Buffett has done.
Speaker 2: And Pershing Square founder Bill Lackman spoke with our Danny Berger on Bloomberg Deals.
Speaker 3: Well, first, Karen, let's turn to the economy. Now, the Federal Reserve is leaving interest rates unchanged, but that decision may have been overshadowed by a big announcement from current Fed chair Jay Powell.
Speaker 12: He's staying after my term as chair ends on May fifteen, I will continue to serve as a governor for a period of time to be determined. I plan to keep a low profile as a governor. There's only ever one chair of the Federal Reserve Board. When Kevin Worsh is confirmed and sworn.
Speaker 5: In, he will be that chair.
Speaker 3: Jay Powell's term as FED Chair ends two weeks from tomorrow, but his seat on the Board of Governors doesn't expire until twenty twenty eight. The announcement drew harsh criticism from Treasury Secretary Scott Bessant.
Speaker 13: I think it's highly unusual for someone who says he's an institutionalist and cares about norms at the FED. This is a violation of all Federal Reserved norms.
Speaker 5: And I've got to.
Speaker 13: Tell you also, Larry, I think it is an insult to Kevin Warsh, Mickey Bowman, and Chris Waller to think that these other Republican nominees do not care about the institution of the FED and that he alone can maintain the integrity of the FED.
Speaker 3: Treasury Secretary Scott bess And spoke with Larry Kudlow on Fox Business Now. Palell says he's concerned about a series of legal attacks on the FED and that he will leave once a probe into the fed's building renovation project is, in his words, truly over. Well back in Washington, Careen, the longest partial government shut down in history is a step closer to ending. The House has approved the first part of a two part plan to reopen the Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 14: On this vote, the eyes of two hundred and fifteen.
Speaker 4: The nays are two.
Speaker 5: Hundred and level of one member voting.
Speaker 15: Press listen the concurrent resolution is adopted.
Speaker 3: That resolution would funnel seventy billion dollars into immigration enforcement for the next three and a half years. Today, House Speaker Mike Johnson hopes to pass the second part of the plan to fund the rest of DHS outside ice and border patrol through September thirtieth. All this comes after the White House told Congress it will not be able to pay most DHS workers after today because the fund it tapped for April payments has run out.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan, former FBI Director James Comy, has made his first court appearance on a second criminal indictment under the Trump administration.
Speaker 5: He's facing two.
Speaker 2: Federal charges related to threatening President Trump's life. The case centers on a now deleted Instagram post or the numbers eighty six and forty seven were arranged with seashells.
Speaker 5: Critics say it could.
Speaker 2: Have been a reference to killing the president, but Komy says that was not his intent. Comy did not enter a plea and the government did not ask that he be detained. A plea hearing date has not been set.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Finally, Karen, Live Golf maybe coming to an end. Bloomberg News has learned Saudi A. Ray Baba's Public Investment Fund plans to stop financial support for the league after this season. The move would bring a jarring into the breakaway league that fractured pro golf and fundamentally altered the sports economics by luring stars away from the PGA Tour with giant contracts. Live cost the Saudi Public Investment Fund and estimated five billion dollars over just four years.
Speaker 2: Time now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomers Michael Barr, Michael, good Morning.
Speaker 16: Good morning. Karen King, Charles and Queen Camilla were in New York City as part of their historic state visit. The royal couple started the New York leg of their trip yesterday with a visit to the Nine to Eleven Memorial. Later, Charles attended the Greater Together Reception at Rockefeller Plaza to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the King's Trust. That's the charity that King Jeralds started to help people aged eleven to thirty to develop life skill, get ready for work, and access job opportunities.
Speaker 15: At this reception, we can celebrate both my King's Trust and the enduring cultural bond between the people in the United Kingdom and the United States, which causes a relationship route in shared creativity, enterprise, and values.
Speaker 16: King Charles also gathered with leaders of some of the world's biggest companies to encourage US UK investment and visited a Harlem urban farm program. The Trump administration is hailing the Supreme Court decision on the Voting Rights Act as a quote complete and total victory for American voters. The White House said in a statement, the color of one's skin should not dictate which congressional district you belong in. Congressman Rich McCormick was asked about fellow Republicans in Georgia calling for a special session to draw new maps in his state before.
Speaker 5: We started early voting. So I don't think we can do it in Georgia. I wouldn't be appropriate.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 16: Justice Selena Kagan called the ruling the LA chapter in the Conservative majorities now completed demolition of the Voting Rights Act. Police are calling a stabbing on a London street and act of terrorism. Two Jewish men were injured. The suspect was arrested after trying to attack the responding officers. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News. Now. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Heron.
Speaker 5: Thanks Michael all the time.
Speaker 2: Now for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for that we bring in John Stashauer.
Speaker 16: Thanks Darren.
Speaker 14: A couple of teams stayed alive in the NBA playoffs. Detroit beat Orlando. The Magic Steel lead three games to two. Houston beat the Lakers, who still have three two. Also, Cleveland beat Toronto and the Calves lead three to two overtime. In the Stanley Cup playoffs, Philadelphia a one nothing went over Pittsburgh. The Flyers win the series four games to two Vegas and double overtime over Utah. Also, Montreal won three to two at Tampa Bay. The Canadians and Golden Knights have three two series leads. That's a Bloomberg Sports Uptea.
Speaker 2: Cool. Stay with us more from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 11: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: The high seas standoff continues between the US and Iran with no led up to the naval blockade of Iran Sports, but now more than two months into the war, President Trump says a further military response is still an option.
Speaker 4: We've got an amazing military.
Speaker 16: Now.
Speaker 4: Now they have to cry uncle.
Speaker 5: That's all they have to do is just say we give up.
Speaker 4: I was President Trump at the White House yesterday.
Speaker 3: Joining us this morning from our European headquarters in London is Bloomberg Opinion columnist Mark Champion, covering the Middle East and international affairs. Great to have you with us, Mark, as we watched this pretty sharp reaction in the commodities markets to reports that President Trump may be getting a briefing at least on new military options. What are we hearing this morning? Could the possibilities be good morning.
Speaker 5: Yes, good morning.
Speaker 1: I mean essentially, what we know is that we have a continuing blockade, and then you know, what we don't know is whether President Trump will also now you know, restart the war. That would in a sense be an acknowledgment that he doesn't think that the blockade is going to work fast enough for him.
Speaker 5: So, you know, we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: It's you know that there's been so much said at various different times, you know, by the White House that turned out not to be you know, quite how things are quite accurate. So but you know, on the other side in Iran, you see, you know, this is really a sort of test of wills, tests of how much economic pain each side can take.
Speaker 5: So you see, you know, oil prices going up.
Speaker 1: On the other side, you see the real the anion currency weakening very sharply as a result of the blockade.
Speaker 5: Both sides that you know, are feeling the pain.
Speaker 1: The one thing you can be sure of is that the Iranians won't say we give up. But you know, they may want to come back to the table and to preempt either you know, either try and end the blockade, either do it by force, you know, by attacking the Gulf States again. Certainly they will do that if the Americans start restart the war or the Iranians, you know, may come back to the table and try and negotiate.
Speaker 4: Again. We've had our own reporting.
Speaker 3: The US Central Command has asked for permission to use a hypersonic missile in the in the conflict.
Speaker 4: What potential impact could that have?
Speaker 1: What depends on what they want to use it for, I mean, in in you know, in the round. I would say not much that sounds you know, you say these things much as you know President Putin has in Ukraine, we're going to is a hypersonic missile. It does, you know, kind of focus attention and it's useful in terms of psychological warfare. But you know, the munitions that the US has used until now have been extremely effective. What it is that they would want to do with a hypersonic missile that they couldn't do with, you know, with other kinds, not quite sure. You know, they are very good at evading air defenses. Sophisticated air defenses. Iran's air defenses are pretty much destroyed, so you know, not quite clear.
Speaker 3: Of course, all this is coming is Defense Secretary Pete Heggsat has faced some pretty tough questioning on Capitol Hill about how the war has been going, the idea of, particularly from Democrats, that the US may be heading into a quagmire in Iran. Does this look like a quagmire at this point to you? Mark not necessarily a quagmire. I would very much doubt that this turns into an extended war along the lines of Vietnamar again, Stan, even Iraq.
Speaker 5: You know, I think they will.
Speaker 1: Both sides actually do want to need an exit, but they also think that the other side is going to blink first.
Speaker 5: And that's the real problem here. I really don't see it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: First of all, you know, in order for there to be that kind of quagmire, you really need for boots to be on the ground, Americans to put troops in. And that's what really gets you sucked in, makes it difficult to get out. You know, I don't think we're going to see that, certainly, not at scale. But nevertheless, you know, they even months, you know, weeks or months is going to be very, very painful for the global economy, and possibly a lot more painful for Europe and Asia than it is for the United States.
Speaker 3: Appreciate your perspective this morning. Mark, Thanks so much for joining us on Daybreak That is Bloomberg opinion columnist Mark Champion covering the Middle East and international affairs from our European headquarters in London. You could read much more of Mark's thoughts on the conflict at Olpin go on the Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Terminal Karen Nathan.
Speaker 2: Another major story where following involves earnings from big tach We heard from four big ones after the bell and we want to break it all down with the Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Matt Bloxam. Matt, good morning. So Alphabet, Meta platforms, Amazon, and Microsoft. We're seeing investor reaction mixed. What was your big takeaway from the earnings?
Speaker 17: Yeah, so a few things. I'll see that there's another step up in capital spending by these big companies.
Speaker 5: So where we're already absorbing.
Speaker 17: A seventy percent year, and you increase twenty six versus twenty five, which would take this combined spending to six hundred and fifty billion dollars based on the overnight reporting that six point fifty has now increased to seven hundred and twenty three billion dollars, a big chunk of that coming from Microsoft and also for Meta, and I think some mixed reactions to kind of whether that increased investment makes sense, and certainly investors still trying to kind of understand when the payback is going to come from these investments and how big it's going to be.
Speaker 4: And we saw with.
Speaker 17: Alphabet the parent of Google, that you know, Google's businesses are firing on all cylinders, great growth in the kind of core ads business, but also really strong growth from their cloud business, which increases revenue sixty three percent year on year. And a similar story at Amazon where all of its different businesses, including cloud, are growing pretty well. But at the other end you had Meta, where you know, they're not exposed to as many of the kind of leavers that's AI's creating much more still focused on and ads based business, their large language models lagging behind rivals like Anthropic and Open Eye, but they were stepping up kapex, and I don't think investors were convinced that the management team they have the clarity of what the kind of revenue generating opportunity and the return profile looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when it comes to meta, it seemed like CEO Mark Zuckerberg was maybe a bit vague when it came to the analysts call, uh, do analysts.
Speaker 5: Really need to hear more from him?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 17: I think maybe not, maybe not so much. Hear more from him, but see more in the in the in the business and the numbers. And you actually see them kind of move forward with their large language model so that people feel they've got more bows to their they got the kind of opportunity, and also just kind of see them solidify the kind of active user basement. Also got they've got a huge active user base across their different products. But it did dip a little bit in the quarter, and I think, you know, there's these kind of lingering concerns that as the AI proposition evolves, that maybe some of these you know, big established social network business and mashing platforms could become more vulnerable and maybe the ad dollars will kind of shift elsewhere.
Speaker 2: And we did. We did talk about Amazon just a bit. Is cloud division another bright spot here? But we also get that report on anthropic can you walk us through that too? Is how did that help Amazon?
Speaker 17: There's been so many Anthropic reports.
Speaker 2: Which that Anthropic is wearing a funding round in Anthropy is one of Amazon's biggest AI investments.
Speaker 17: Yeah, you know, I think obviously there's a lot of focus on how much these businesses are worth, and I think that that particular funding ground could put an even bigger valuation on Anthropic. So that's kind of definitely a big positive carry for Amazon. I think obviously, you know, they're potentially kind of very complementary partners with your anthropics claud models being super popular with the enterprise community, and obviously tying that together with Amazon's market leading Amazon Web Services cloud business, You've potentially got a really winning combination. So in some ways they kind of win. One way, they get revenue coming in through Amazon Web Services, that also helps Anthropic, and the anthropic valuation goes up and that helps Amazon. So it's kind of a nice reinforcement circle they've got there.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 3: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 4: And I'm Nathan Hay.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg day Break