Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Draft King sports Book, an official sports betting partner of the NFL, is bringing you yes an offer that will help you win money in the NFL playoffs. New customers, bet five bucks. That's it. Five bucks, that's it, five dollars any game and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets. Are you kidding me? I? Bet five that's it? Download the Draft Kings sports Book app now. It takes ninety seconds and put in colin c l I N. Easy paz. New Customers, five bucks. That's all you have to bet and get two hundred dollars instantly in bonus bets only on the DraftKings sports Book. The code is colin c l I N and the crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight Hope n Y or text Hope n Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eighty eight seventy eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort ks licenseee partner Golden Nugget Lake Charles twenty one plus. Age varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario. Bonus bets expired one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. S Sportsbook dot DraftKings dot Com, slash Basketball, terms for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources. Welcome in live on YouTube part of the volume. John Middlecoff, former NFL scout with the Philadelphia Eagles. He does the Three and Out podcast team joins me every Sunday night for an hour, and we just watched Michigan throttle Washington thirty four to thirteen. I was pulling, you know, for Washington for reasons because John had a lot of money on it and I am from the Pacific Northwest. But I had said with John and on FS one and Fox Sports Radio, I thought Michigan really matched up with Washington. Well, I thought their secondary would clamp down, they'd get a pass rush. You saw it tonight. Recruiting does matter, and Michigan recruits at a higher level.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the limitations for Washington has always been they are geographically jammed up in the corner Washington, Oregon, Idaho do not have a lot of Division one players. They have to convince kids to come up to the rainy weather. Michigan more centrally located, you know, and sometimes it's a little bit easier in the region they're into recruit I mean, Oregon and Washington play at a very high level and sort of overcomes some recruiting disadvantages. Nil certainly helps Oregon because of Phil Knight and his backing. But my takeaway to start this game was that listen, Michigan felt they could Obviously they're going to pound them a little bit on the run. Washington was aggressive defensively got burned, but I think in the end, Washington averaged four yards of play Michigan average seven point eight, and they just negated Washington's firepower. Washington has thrown the ball on everybody for two years, and Michigan's corners pass rush just took it away. And then you had a very limited Michael Pennix who doesn't move particularly well, and a run game that was never great all season. I just I kind of felt like I knew who was gonna win this thing. About eight minutes into it. I had like a feeling like, yeah, they're just gonna lean on Washington. That was my takeaway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was seventeen ten right at halftime, but it felt more like thirty to three. I mean it was the Washington was very, very lucky, which you felt like had some momentum because they were going in a half, they were getting the ball and then he immediately comes out and throws an interception. But in that third quarter, I mean, Michigan couldn't get anything going on offense. They only gave him three points. So it was it was twenty to ten going into the fourth quarter. But you know, Michigan is about to set the record many people believe for players drafted, and it's not super high in talent. It's fifteen to seventeen guys. They're gonna get drafted. You know, a lot of guys, third, fourth, fifth round. It showed the night right Washington's talent NFL wise, is all the skill guys on offense, the receivers a dudesay, the other two guys in the quarterback. Well, if I tell you the quarterback, I would say has one of the worst games you've ever seen him play. It mattered, you know, not some of the Stanford or the random games against Oregon, against the big time teams they've played Texas he had, I'd give him like a C minus. Today they have no chance. And then the other thing that really stood out is Washington's offensive line, you know, won the Joe More Award, was the best they got worked. I mean, that guard center combination was getting shoved around. The physicality you saw. Harbaugh's team look like the good NFL teams. They're just good at every position. They tackle well. And to me that the player of the game is Harbaugh's defensive coordinator Jesse Minner, which I'm sure would go with him. He's a raven guy to the NFL. What a performance by him, I mean, shutting down one of the more explosive offenses we've seen in recent memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, Pennis had an off game. I kind of look at it like it's it's not a random off game. He got pressure, not a lot of space to move. People weren't open, and so he was off because he was pressured. He was off because they're just there's one lot weren't a lot of openings. I mean, you and I both thought Washington matched up really well with Texas. I thought it was like that. That matches up Texas week in the secondary. Michigan's got NFL guys in the secondary, so everywhere Pennick, you know, Pennix was just throwing that ball. It was sort of jump ball situations. And I mean, Michael Penix is still going to get drafted very high. But you can see the concerns about him. He is sort of a statuesque thrower. He kind of lets it fly. Say he didn't like to get hit. You saw a couple of times when he had pressure. He he didn't want to get popped. And in the NFL, if you go to a bad team, you're gonna get popped. So you watch a Josh Allen on Sunday or Lamar and they can throw, they can pass. Michael's gonna sit in the pocket in the NFL like Tua, and he's gonna throw the football. I think he's a bigger, stronger to it, throws it up the sideline better than Tua. But that's sort of his comp he he's kind of a state thrower when he has time to throw. Does it hurt his draft stock? Certainly didn't help it. You're a former scout, I mean, you know, people are saying he'll drop out of the first round. I just I think there's so much desperation for a cornerback. He may go down to twenty twenty five. But it doesn't feel like he go mid second, does it.
Speaker 3: No. I mean maybe I'm a little biased, you know, living on the West Coast and rooting for him, and maybe I got a little over excited for the Texas game because I like to ask my friends that are on teams that don't need a quarterback, so when they go into these schools, they have no agenda in evaluating the guy. And a couple of guys that are you know, scouting directors had second round grades on the guy. And you know a lot of people were pushing back against this top ten talk after the Texas game because they go, he's an older player, he's been banged up. Look at tonight it looked a lot like some of those Oregon games where he's getting peppered and you go, God, is he gonna be able to get up? Well, what happens when that's TJ. Watt right or Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald, those guys leaning on them all game long. So I understand the concerns. I'm bullish on him. I like him. Tonight is rough because the way you evaluate a player is against the best competition. He plays right, so Oregon Texas defensively is not right. So tonight would be the game that if you were feeling pretty good about your second round grade, which I understand, Like, I understand the concerns, but I don't think you gotta be careful in scouting about overreacting to a performance like tonight because to me, he was really amped up early, he could never get into a rhythm and he was bad. I mean, guys have bad games, right, So I wouldn't write the guy off. But tonight is definitely gonna be of concern in these draft meetings for these teams. Like you said, I would be like, I don't see him falling out of the first round. All the character stuff, the medical is going to be a concern, and when he goes to the combine, if anything red flags with the knees, you know, just to wear and tear on the body. Because you draft a guy in the first round, it is about the second contract, Like can the guy be an eight to nine year player? Do we feel comfortable about giving the guy a second contract, and I do think tonight brought up some fair questions. I still like the player, but tonight was a rough performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it was. As I was watching the game, I said, you have two contrasting styles. A team that would prefer to throw, a team that would prefer to run, a West Coast Pac twelve team, a big ten team. Michigan made it look like a Big ten game. Michigan made that game look like they wanted to make it look McCarthy didn't have to throw much, couple of big throws to the tight end, take a lead, physically push Washington around. As Washington, you know, now heads into the conference. Michigan's like, Okay, this is what we do. This is sort of what the kind of brand of football. I mean, Michigan doesn't have an elite receiver, their tight ends one of their more consistent pass catchers. So I thought Michigan made it look like a big ten game. And you know, the other thing that jumped out to me and Michigan, for the record, is a very good tackling team. You pointed that out. You know, sometimes you have to watch the moment. You know, you can speculate and then you watch a moment and I was like, I don't I don't know. I think Harball's gonna come back to Michigan. As I watched that game and I watched the way Michigan played, I'm like, yeah, this would be the perfect time to leave. Like it was. I sat there and I'm like, he beat Washington, Alabama, Ohio State, Iowa, Penn State in a row. It's your last five games at Michigan. And you see his brother and you see the family, and I thought he's gonna take his DC. All these kids are leaving. And as I watched it, it's weird, but it felt like his last game at Michigan. Does that sound crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's gone. I mean I think he's definitely gone. And the one thing Jim Harbaugh has always done and was unfold displayed tonight is his coaching staffs for so good. I remember going to a night of practice when he was there and it was Vic Fangio's defensive coordinator who was with him at Stanford. Feels like he has a young superstar in this Jesse Minner guy that he got from his brother. Obviously he had McDonald that is now his brother's defensive coordinator. The Harbass skills of accumulating excellent assistance is an elite skill because Jim is a CEO head coach. He's not calling the plays. He's a motivator, he's a program guy. That that team felt like an NFL team today, the way they tackle, their physicality, their relentlessness and listen, Washington's like a really good college team that felt like, we're good at everywhere. Are really our only flaws are quarterback? How much can we rely on him? But he's clearly has NFL potential. We could talk about him from an NFL standpoint, But you know, Harbaugh's built teams like this when he's been at his best where he over he's a heavyweight fighter and he comes in. I mean when they have almost one hundred and eight yards rushing in the first quarter, they hit him like Mike Tyson right in the in the face and it felt like it really wobbled Washington and they were never the same after that. They were just holding on by a thread. And because Harbass teams, typically unless they're playing crappy opponents aren't gonna score sixty points, you're always going to be in the game. Especially they were bad on third down but the game was never close. The score was close, the game wasn't close.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, Michigan averaged eight yards of play Washington four, and the game looked like Michigan wanted it to look like it was a Big ten football game.
Speaker 3: One thing we were talking before you hopped on is I remember during the Super Bowl Jim was very uncomfortable playing his brother because Jim likes the opponent as an enemy. Yeah, you know, so it's going to the AFC. If he goes to the Chargers of the Raiders, you know his mindset is going to be a good playoff team. Well, he's gonna have to see the Ravens. Do you think that could maybe force him to be more interested in Washington Atlanta? Maybe take Tepper's call seriously to just avoid his brother because that family is a very tight knit group. It felt like a Harbo family reunion there tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, his brother coaches in Baltimore. I could see Jim taking the Washington job. I mean it's just right right across the river. Yeah, I mean, you know, there is a reality about the NFL. It's like you start looking at these playoff teams, there's just not a lot of bad quarterbacks. I mean it's Dak and Hurts. I mean a low end guy is Baker, and then it's Goff and then it's Stafford.
Speaker 3: You know c J.
Speaker 2: Strouts.
Speaker 3: Washington has the second pick, so he would be able to pick basically his quarterback beside Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: Well, you know he wouldn't take Pennix because he went against him in soft laws. He's not going to get Caleb. Although they may make a run and move up, depends on what you know. Chicago. You know, I don't trust their front office. They may may move down to second and take a boatload of picks. Yeah, I think that's an interesting point. I know the Chargers, Albert Breer has said this, and I've been told the same thing through my sources. The Chargers are varied. They realize what's happening in the Los Angeles market. McVeigh once again over delivers. Lincoln Riley is a name, Lebron. I mean the Clippers have four stars. Look at where the Dodgers are bringing in. It's a really distracted market. And if you're not you can't go with another coordinator. Dan Quinn's not going to move the interest meter in this town. Mike Rabel a little, Jim Harbaugh a lot so. But you have new owners in Washington, and they're wealthier than the Spanos family, who I don't think. I don't even think they're middle of the pack in NFL owner wealth. I think they're you know, as Mark Cubans has poor billionaire, poor billionaire's club in pro sports. So yeah, I mean the Washington one's very, very interesting. I like Washington's talent. I think Sam How's a backup, but you could certainly, you know, that's an advantage. Jim Harbaugh may see that as a Hey, I don't have an incumbent. Sam How can start, and by November first, we're bringing the kid in Drake May So I think it has to be considered. But I'll say it again, I really did feel watching this game in the second half, I'm like, yeah, this is this is it. This feels like it's it. I Jim has coached on the West Coast and likes it, but the hardballs they kind of feel Midwest. They kind of, you know, it kind of feels like they're part of the country. So we know he's probably not going to Chicago because of the President, and he don't get along and by the way, Kaylin de Boor for Washington will be at the top of Michigan's list. I mean that's the story that will develop three or four days from now. Michigan is going to go after Washington's coach.
Speaker 3: Well, I talked about on the podcast today, look at Washington and connect the dots their their owner. His last two coaches as a Sixer owner were Doc Rivers and Nick Nurse, two championship level, hot, big name, very expensive Bob Myers. When they had to go get a coach, what do you do? They went after Steve Kerr. What's he always done? Big game hunting in Golden State? Spielman Rick who I I think it's a pretty good gem. I think the guy should get a second chance to be a GM. What is he like? Physical football? Mike zimmer right, the way they played in Minnesota all those years, seems like Jim Harbaughs his type guy. So I think you start connecting the dots. I didn't even think about that. Right down the road from each other in Baltimore. He can bring his parents, You get to be around both families. Makes a lot of sense. But there was a lot of reporting today Arthur Blank's eighty one years old, He's got a ton of money. He's gonna go big game hunting. I think Harbaugh, you said it yesterday when we were talking that he's not gonna interview with ten jobs, but they are gonna be some of these owners. They're gonna be aggressive for him, are gonna be very aggressive, and the money is not going to be an issue for them. So these numbers are gonna be really high. They're gonna have no problem cutting an enormous check to just get the sit down. Like Jim, we're prepared. We just we just want to get a yes from you. So Arthur Blank, Josh Harris, I think these people, so when we talk about the spanos is for the first time, you know, really in the modern eight, they're gonna have to if they want to match these guys, because they do have the money if they want to match them, but their mentality is going to have to be aggression, which we could argue is not really ever been their thing. Where Josh Harris is used to that, right, He's been in the NBA a lot where you gotta go big game hunting clearly gets rid of Ron Rivera a lot brings in Bob Myers like, this guy's very forward thinking. Twenty twenty four can Dean And again, Mark Davis already has a relationship with Jim, and we talked about this. He's cut one hundred million dollar check six years ago to John Gruden. So they're gonna be four or five teams willing to cut enormous amounts of money towards Jim just gonna be his preference. And I think Washington definitely has a lot to offer when you factor in the draft capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Jim who is you know, it's a big advantage. Wherever Jim goes, he's going to want some, you know, some personnel power. He's probably recruited Drake May, so you know, for him it's like who do I like more, Drake May or Herbert. I mean he may look at that and think, well, Herbert's getting paid. I get four to five years of Drake Man. I could I could see absolutely him saying, listen, I'm the third coach for Herbert, Like the first two didn't work. If the kids special, some of these guys should work. So you know, I could The Washington one's really interesting. And you know, right now, Jim lives in an arbor and his you know, mom and dad live right next door. So I think that's bigger than people think. I think the ability to have the hardballs in d C And Baltimore, I think that's a real thing. I could see that family saying, we don't want to make mom and dad fly out west, get on a plane fly They can just drive back and forth. Get him a driver. They don't have to do all the DC driving. That's a real discussion. I could think that see that family having it again. I Washington has the most cap space, the number two pick a serviceable quarterback in Samuel. He's serviceable, no pressure to play him. And again I think their roster is pretty solid.
Speaker 3: When everyone thought Alex Smith those one of the biggest busts of all time, Jim Harbaugh during the lockout convinced him to come back and immediately won game for a year and a half with him before he got that concussion. What could he just won a national championship with I mean essentially a college game manager. Now, I know he has foot you know NFL prospects physical skills, but he doesn't play like that in college. So Jim doesn't look at it like I need Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen to win. That's not the way he's wired. The way he coaches football because his mentality is we're gonna build a dominant defense. Washington has some players on defense, and he knows, like you said, recruit all these guys. They're gonna have money to buy the guys and offensively, it's in modern times, a little bit of an archaic style, but it always works for Jim Right, It's worked for him for now fifteen years.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, McCarthy doesn't work for me. You know, you know how like Russell Wilson got smaller quarterbacks drafted, the opposite, the inverse could be true, where a smaller quarterback fails and people are like, whoa, whoa, whoa. When I watched McCarthy, he weighs about two hundred pounds, he feels yeah, Max, he just feels too slight. I watched Bryce Young, and I'm like, he just doesn't look the part. JJ. McCarthy looks like a little taller version of Bryce Young where he's just not thick through the hips. It's like he looks slight, like he's gonna have to really to get to two oh two you know, you start watching Josh Allen on Sunday night, and you start watching these star quarterbacks like they carry two thirty, two thirty five, Manning Brady, even Aaron Rodgers is like two twenty seven, and he looks slender. So if you're if you're battling to stay above two hundred, and he's athletic, but he's not hyper athletic. He's not Kyler Murray. He's not making people miss I don't think McCarthy to me, is like a third round quarterback. I don't really get.
Speaker 3: It, totally agree. I mean, all this hype about him being a top ten prospect is in sandity to me, insanity to me. To me, he looks like a second day player for sure, and a guy that can't play right away in the NFL. One he has asked to play like that in college. Well, in the NFL you have to make throws on third down, which they try to avoid at all costs. Look at the way they played tonight. They tried and they have and you can make the argument, well that's how they play. I think they're a little uncomfortable with having to lean on him, where Washington's the opposite. They have to lean on their quarterback and as he's off, they're screwed where they don't have to. But I'm with you. He obviously has a live arm and he's a good athlete. But to me, the frame very thin and under no circumstance is going to take him in the first round. Over what he's done in college doesn't mean he can't develop overtime. Ideally, to me, he's drafted on the second day, gets to kind of sit get bigger and kind of progress. You know, Jimmy Garoppa, A lot of players they get drafted on the second day don't have to play right away. Maybe you go to a better situation and you get behind, you know, a guy that's already a starter, and you kind of work your way in. But this talk about him being a high first round pick, I think that's a little bit of the media, you know, college football hype machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're gonna have Caleb Williams, Drake May, Jade and Daniels. Feel like top ten. Bow Nix will be somewhere like eleven to sixteen. I think I saw bow play twice live. There's a little Drew Brees high accuracy. He's athletic, he's pretty cut. He's more athletic than people think, but he doesn't feel like a top six seven pick. So okay, so we we both sort of agree. I think we both agree. Harbaugh's off to the NFL. I think you've convinced me Washington could have a slight edge, you know, in that division. It's interesting too. So in that division, I mean you got to think about everything. Although Harball wouldn't probably spend much time on this. Mike McCarthy, Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 3: Right defensive coordinator, just quit.
Speaker 2: I saw Waite Martindale.
Speaker 3: The Giants have a lot of issues, I was told and I said this on the pod a month and a half ago. The coaches didn't like him, and I thought Dave was really good last year, but they have had a lot of strife internally, and there was a lot of talk everything's fine, everything's fine. Well, one of the best assets on the coaching staff was like, I'm out Quit, which is not normal. I mean, that's a huge red flag. He wasn't fired. He said I want out, you know. So the day Ball situation, let's face it, offensively, they haven't really been explosive. Their tied to Daniel Jones, and now they lose their defensive coordinator. They've been excellent on defense. I mean last year they made the playoffs because it's not like they were scoring a lot of points. So I would say the Giants are very, very influx. The Eagles know, we've never seen a ten to one team leak oil like them and the Cowboys. You can feel the pressure building right every playoff game if something gets weird. Jerry's getting older, is liable to do something crazy, even he didn't really give him the ringing endorsement going into the playoffs, right, We'll see what happens. So I yeah, I think Washington. I still think the Raiders are You know, the history of football means something to Jim. You know, you get a a blank slate, like you said, the Chargers isn't necessarily a blank slate. You get Herbert, But there is a lot of other stuff going on.
Speaker 2: And they have some cap space issues. You've got to move off some people there. Washington has got the most cap space. There's a romance about the Raiders. I just seen so many coaches fail there after a while, it feels like there's a systemic problem beyond just like the helmet and the logo like Mark Davis is one of the poorest owners, and it's you know, they've made some bad decisions on personnel, head coaching GM. So I think i'd pass on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would too. I just think Jim's crazy enough to be to be connected there, which I believe, and I think it's fair to say it would shock me if he doesn't even pick up David Tepper's call at this point. That organization's got a lot of issues, a lot of questions, and it doesn't really feel like Bryce Young would be I mean, Jim would have him by about five inches and forty five pounds, so it doesn't seem like he'd be that interesting. Did in that quarterback?
Speaker 2: Let's spend five minutes on this. So the playoff bracket is out. I don't we don't need to go game by game, but I do think it's interesting. The game that really jumps out to me is the Rams against the Lions. Sam Laporta is hurt, the remarkable rookie tight end for Detroit. You know, I went through I went through coaching is so valuable. I went through the Rams and the Lions today on the show, and I kind of I wrote down things that matter head coach. RAMS advantage, quarterback RAMS advantage. I like their wide receivers, Pooka and Cooper. Wide receiver advantage. If Laporta is out, tight end advantage. O line advantage, especially left tackle. It's Detroit, but PFF has the Rams. It's like the tenth best offensive line and they're pretty good left guard over to the right tackle. The Jackson's an undrafted left tackle. He's serviceable, he's not great. They're going to draft to tackle very early. I've been told in the draft. You know, my gut feeling on that is the Lions should win the game. But you talked about the injury report. Dan Campbell said today there's an outside shot Laporta plays. I know tight ends don't drive lines in Vegas, but I felt like without Laporta, I I mean, here's the thing. The Rams weakness. They leak on the back end of the secondary. Well, nobody leaks like the Lions. So I just I don't know, I just I found myself today the more I looked at that injury report, I'm like, God's that could be a bit of a coaching mismatch.
Speaker 3: I also think these playoff games, you know the way the it's one and done. All of a sudden, the Rams you're up seventeen to ten. That place gets tight. Dan Campbell gets tighted, he gets a little over aggressive. Sometimes you can see that thing unraveling. The other thing what gets with Jared Goff pressure. Now he's a much better quarterback in a dome, in a controlled environment, no weather. But if they can hit him, and what are the Rams, you know Aaron Donald's gonna be bringing it. The young pass rusher they drafted in the mid rounds from Wake Forest is pretty good, so they can get Raheem Morris is you know a guy that's gonna be interviewing all over the league. He's a really good defensive coordinator. That Laporte injury, He's not Rob Gronkowski or he can play at seventy percent like as an inline blocker. He's an athletic at He's a Kelsey type. So that that is a devastating injury for them because to me, if they were fully healthy, you go listen, the Rams probably top to bottom have a little or excuse me, the Lions have more talent. Yeah, this guy is an elite player. I mean he is a premium tied end. That's a devastating injury. So I gotta go with McVeigh and the Rams, which is sad because the Lions have had a remarkable Season's only a second time in ninety years, Colin. They've won twelve games. I mean, Niners won twelve games like five times in the last decade. They've won it twice in ninety years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do think to your point. I mean McVeigh, I mean, the Packers in Houston are playing with house money because they got in. But I mean this was a rebuild year for McVeigh, so they're going to come in with a ton of energy. I mean, you know, it's interesting if you go look at the Rams season. The most impressive moment to me, Baltimore's off a buy early start East Coast. They go out there and outplay them and their leaky special teams lose the game. I watched Baltimore crush the Niners, crush Miami, crush Seattle, crush Detroit, and then I watch the Rams go out there and line up with them physically, and it's like, Okay, that's not an illusion that they're that lost to Baltimore. I remember after that game I'm thinking, oh, this is all real, this is absolutely real. And then you know, a couple of weeks later, Baltimore hammers the Niners. It happens occasionally where you'll playoff run and you'll go back and go, oh god, yeah, of course. And I look at that Rams lost to Baltimore and I think, just look who Baltimore has man handled in the last two months.
Speaker 3: Well, the Rams have a quarterback that, when he's on is can go toe to toe with Mahomes Josh Allen Lamar, Right, forty nine ers can't say that, right, that he's not that talented and Matt Stafford in that game the rain was pumping and it was pouring on and he was elite. The other thing is their wide receivers are really physical a lot like forty nine ers. They're willing to go over the middle, take hits, they break tackles, and it was on full display. I mean, Pooka is truly one of the better rookie stories in recent memory. I mean, he is a he's an elite player. So if they beat you know, the Lions, then they would play the forty nine Ers, assuming the Packers lose. Now I would take I would pick the forty nine ers going into that game. But the Rams are gonna feel comfortable a team that they've seen a lot, that they've beat before. In a massive game, there'd be a lot of pressure, you know, the Niners would be favor but they would have a ton of momentum going into that game because they've had to keep playing, right Hell, they just they rolled out Wentz, who the they resurrected from the dead so that they have. It's cool to see that Sean, you know, turned down that money he belongs in coaching. Clearly he's reinvigorated now saying I'm coming back for twenty four. He's on a year to year basis, but he's got to feel pretty good about his squad headed in the playoffs. And let's face it, if they just win a playoff game on the road, What a remarkable season from Sean McVay. Because we all define guys over their championship years, but really, you build a resume like Andy Reid build a resume for fifteen years every year going to the playoffs, winning games when guys were hurt, when he had to go with the backup quarterback. What Sean McVay has done this year with random young guys and some of his old core guys. Is one of the better stories of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think you know that's the thing as again Michigan Thump's Washington and I look at Harball who is and Jed Fish was on my show today, the Arizona coach, and he said, Yeah, the most competitive coach I've ever worked with. I think Jim. I think John Harbaugh he wants to face McVeigh, he wants to face Andy Reid. He may not want to face his brother, but I mean he's proven. Ryan Day is considered an elite college coach, and Jim's got his way with him right. Kaylin de Boor is considered the best young coach in college football. Jim completely stifled their game plan with an NFL receiver and three NFL NFL quarterback, three NFL receivers. I think Jim looks around college football and thinks, Okay, I've beat Saban this year. I own Ryan Day, Kaylin de Boor whatever. He's a competitive guy. John. I think he wants he wants to go after McVeigh. He proved he can beat Pete Carroll. He wants to go after Andy Reid. McVeigh and I if you're competitive, I think it's the next logical step. He's proved, I mean, God, and just what fitting way Saban check the rising star, Kailin de Board check, Ryan Day check. Like it's just perfect.
Speaker 3: And let's face it, in the Big Ten, even with these teams coming in half his games, he's the heavy favorite in him and it's just not the same. I mean, he's up twenty five to nothing and a half over the majority of the Big Ten opponents. In the NFL, I don't care who you're playing. You could play a random five win team on a given. You played the Arizona Cardinals this year down the stretch, you got a tough game. So the level of competition is clearly so much higher in the NFL, and the coaching from an intellectual level, it's less about the motivation and more outthinking you, more out scheming, you, more putting players, making personnel moves. And let's face it, Jim thrived at that with the forty nine ers, I mean really did. His disastrous year was eight and eight. You know, people like, oh, you got run out of town. It wasn't that bad. How many coaches this year would have died to go eight and eight. So Jim's ceiling, or excuse me, his floor is just so high. And I'm telling you his ability to build a coaching staff because he knows he's not mister scheme guy like his brother, and what do they hang their hat on having the best in the brightest and they do a good job. We talked about this with Belichick being so insulated with only the guys he's known from when they were twenty two. They will take young guys who maybe are thirty or thirty that have been somewhere else and then mold them. He did it with Jed Fish, He's done it with Sharon Moore. He's doing it now with Mentor Harbaugh's the same way, and they develop coaches really, really well. I think how many guys get jobs like this is the difference between like I've always said about Andy Reid, Belichick, all his assistants go on and have some semblance of a success. A lot of them have a lot of success, and it's because he's open minded to bringing guys on. Same thing with the Harbob brothers. They're willing to talk and meet with anyone, not just because well, you didn't work in this system. Well are you good coach? But do do you have qualities that I like? And I think Jim I would look for his coaching staff. Like if you told me next year, whatever job he has, that team's obviously had a bad year previously, they're immediately competitive. I believe I'd bet on it. I hammered the over of whoever he dakes. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well that so the parent, the parents issue the you know, close to John.
Speaker 3: And they're clearly getting older, right.
Speaker 2: Absolute getting older doesn't have to face his brother. And if you look at the NFC right now, there's not a lot of great young quarterbacks. I mean no, Jim. Jim looks out there and sees Josh Allen and Mahomes and Burrow and Lamar. You look over the NFC, I mean it's it's I mean, Stafford's great, but he's got probably two great years.
Speaker 3: Left after five years old.
Speaker 2: It's it's a lot of you know, it could be really I mean, if he gets one of the two, he gets Drake, may somebody else in the NFC gets Caleb Williams. For all we know, for the next five years, those are the two best young quarterbacks in the NFC next year, this year's draft, it's going to be a great class, or you know in twenty twenty four, the following year is not supposed to be as good. It's kind of a it's a bit of a dip yere So huh, I'm just congrass the Michigan.
Speaker 3: Who would you like more if I told you that Drake May go's a Hardbaugh in Washington and Caleb goes with eber Flus and Getze in Chicago. Who do you think is better? Right away? I'd probably bet on Drake May having more success immediately because.
Speaker 2: Certainly in year one, Yeah, yeah, I think, yeah, in year one it would be Drake May and I do I think. I don't think it could be. Underscore is that, you know, Sam Howe will lets you you're gonna be no pressure year one, right, You're gonna get to make any money, doesn't matter. But it also allows you to go into camp with a pro. And again, Sam Howe with Ron Rivera is not Sam Howe with Jim Hardbaugh. He's going to be a better version, the best version of himself. And you know, Jim, I could see him playing him till mid up mid November, around Thanksgiving and say, Okay, we're not gonna win the Super Bowl here, all right, kid, We've shored up the old line. You got some protection. Washington's got receivers, a couple backs.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 2: There's a lot about Washington. You know, I watched Washington a couple times earlier this year. I think they beat at Denver, They've played with Philadelphia, and I'm like, they just need a better quarterback and a better coach. Like I was talking on the Seattle radio station this morning, I said, if if you gave Pete Carroll right now, Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen with that roster, you're going to the super Bowl. It's like you get the quarterback right. It's amazing how it just it just erases your flaws. I mean, I still contend after Stefan Diggs, Buffalo's offense is not that talented. No, you watch it with Josh. You watch it with Josh there like, what a big play offense.
Speaker 3: This is totally I'm just glad. Jim. I remember as a kid, you know, I grew up around a lot of Joe Montana lifers, and they always kind of I felt had it out for Steve and you could feel it when they finally got the monkey off his back and Gary Plummer and he won that Super Bowl because he was a chainampionship level player and it just took him a little longer. To me, Jim Harbaugh has been a championship level coach, you know, just didn't happen at forty eight years old, but it happened at sixty. And I'm just glad people don't talk to him about him as a guy. Andy Reid was that way for a long time. It's like, do you watch this guy coach? I mean, he's better than ninety eight percent of coaches. Ever, it's like he's gonna be He's gonna get over the hump. And now Jim has a chance if he goes to the pros to you know, join a small company of guys that have won on both levels. Right, That's that's a pretty special group to be sitting at the table.
Speaker 2: With John Middlecow, former NFL scout. He's got a podcast three and out, so valuable to our podcast company, the volume which is just smoking. Shannon Sharp, John Jason Timp, Draymond Green. We've got just five twenties, a new one. Daniel Cormier, The Fantasy pros love where we're at.
Speaker 3: Just when are you gonna have Kat Williams on your podcast?
Speaker 2: Yeah know that thing?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I had people come up to me that I didn't even I didn't even I mean I got people that went to the Volume in the last week that I don't even think they knew what the Volume was like a week ago.
Speaker 3: It's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Shannon's been such a you know, we're very lucky. We just signed Raymond Green, and you know, it's it's we can talk about this because that's what the podcast is for. Social media has really created an environment. It's an avalanche and everybody wants to jump on the avalanche and bury people, but nobody wants to grab a shovel and help people that have been rolled over in the avalanche. And when Draymond Green it is He told the story today and it's absolutely true. We were in his house getting ready to sign the comp We were negotiating the contract for over a year. We were in his house. My staff was when Adam silvercalled and suspended him. We're in his house and we said, hey man, you want us to announce it today that you signed with the Volume. We're not going to we got our shovels here, man, don't worry. We got your back. And I'll get pushed back for that, which I could couldn't give a rip. But the point being is we live in this world now where if something goes sideway, somebody steps in it, you me, Draymond. And Draymond's the first to admit, I mean, I had to get some help. You know, I was really wrong. I did something really inappropriate that I'm this is a talent first company because I've been on the air for thirty years, and it's like we all step in it. I'm not we all step in it. Draymond's incredibly coachable, and he also acknowledges I'm made a huge mistake. I apologize. So I love having him. People wouldn't have believed. I'm glad Draymond told the story. People would not have believed that we were in his damn house and Adam calls and says, you're suspended, and he's like, oh brother, and we're like, we got your back, man, don't worry about it, we understand it. Listen. And the other thing I've always said, you know, this is a warrior guy. So in hockey, if you have a great player. Look at look at Gretzky. You have a you have a protector. You've got somebody that's on the ice. They're somewhere getting his getting on, maybe the beer or the sea line, but somebody around to protect him. Most great teams have a physical presence. The Pistons had several. If you took Draymon out of the Warriors, and Steve Kerr has told a friend of mine who had covered the team, Draymond's so elevated practice, Like this team got you know, baskets came so easy for the Warriors and the Dynasty. They could get a little, a little sloppy. You know, there's there was sort of a globe trotter element to this team behind the backs. You're like, when points come easy, it's different if you're a team that's built on defense, When you're a team built on threes, points come easy. That Draymond was such a catalystic practice to stay on guys ass that her. You know he was there. He's like I've been with Michael. Like Michael, when you start winning these titles one after another. Michael held everybody accountable on a Tuesday practice against the bad Denver team, and so you know, it's easy to dump on Draymond, but outside of staff, he's the soul of that franchise.
Speaker 1: Sports sometimes needs to have a little crazy, you know. You know this is not pee wee sports that this is not your typical office setting in an insurance company. I remember talking to John Lynch one time and I said, do you think they would have kicked you out of the NFL.
Speaker 3: This is a guy that's viewed as like super high character, mister president. Everyone loves him. He used to kill people. I mean he couldn't play today. And the sports that I grew up on fights left and right in baseball, I mean, it's just this isn't I think sometimes social media magnifies this stuff. Now, let's Draymond. The hit in the Phoenix game was obviously over the top, But like the NBA I grew up on, I mean, they were all out brawls all the time. Just google basket in the nineties, not that long ago, and that was celebrated. You needed those guys. Not everyone could be Michael Jordan. Not everyone can be Barry Sanders. That is part of the deal. I think sometimes a lot of people try to input their own situation in their own life in the sporting world, and it's just completely different. You don't get you don't get mf'd by your boss on a daily basis like you do from a coach in sports. So it's I like to have some crazy guys on my team, whether it's a podcast network or whether it's on my sport team.
Speaker 2: So good stuff. We knocked out about forty five minutes. John Middelcoff. Listen to him at the Volume three and out appreciate it. John Nick writes on the show, I'm talking to him tomorrow, so that'll be released Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. And thanks everybody for hanging with us. Michigan thirty four to thirteen earned earn that championship. Our guests Harbod Jettison's college off to the NFL if he comes back. Don't have a problem with that either. He's great for college football. John, we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Seek the volume