Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb. We've had a technical issue come up that disrupted our plans for this week, so Oil and Troubled Water Part two won't air until next Tuesday. Instead, today's episode is one from the vaults, but an ideal re listen given the recent release of Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer film, The Atomic Scar opens with discussion of Oppenheimer and his we knew the world would not be the same statement to NBC in nineteen sixty five. We'll be back with new content on Wednesday. As always, Thanks for your patience and your listenership.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Your Mind. My name is Robert.
Speaker 3: Lamb, and I'm Joe McCormick. And today we're going to be talking about nuclear weapons testing. Now, this is something that has come up on the show a good bit before. Obviously, we've had to talk many times about the very real, you know, danger, potential civilization level threat, and the real human costs of nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons testing. But today I wanted to focus on a couple of interesting and lesser known environmental effects of nuclear weapons testing, specifically something that I came across as it pertains to industrial metals, and then we're going to get into some other scientific territory as we go on, but quite apart from any straightforward chemical effects on the atmosphere, I think it is pretty fair to say that the human departure into the nuclear weapons testing era in nineteen forty five was really sort of a shift to moment for humankind as a species.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like there are very few things that have been said. There are very few audio samples, certainly that sum it up quite as well or are as haunting as those given by Jay Robert Oppenheimer in nineteen sixty five on the television documentary The Decision to Drop the Bomb, broadcast as an NBC white Paper. I imagine most of you heard this before. I've heard it's sampled and used in music, it shows up in comic books, literature. In it, the American theoretical physicist and father of the atomic bomb, as he sometimes referred shares the following regarding the first successful detonation of an atomic bomb at the Trinity Test in New Mexico on July sixteenth, nineteen forty five, he said, quote, we knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture the Bagavad gitaw is trying to persuade the prince that he should do his duty, and to impress him, takes on his multi armed form and says, now, I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that one way or another.
Speaker 3: It's a difficult thing to imagine working on that kind of research in a way, feeling that it is your duty or your necessity to aid the Allied cause in World War Two, but at the same time knowing that you were working on something that would unleash an age of terror in human history.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean absolutely, a weapon that would as of this recording, has only been used twice in war, which on one hand you can say, thankfully has only been used twice in war, but at the same hand you can say, tragically has been used twice in war. Yeah. We'll get into the just the destructive capabilities a bit of the bomb as we proceed here, and of course we've covered it on the show before. To varying degrees. But I want to come back to the quote that that Oppenheimer is is deploying here, So if you're not familiar with it, Basically, these are these are who the figures are in this. You've got Vishnu, one of the principal deities of Hinduism. Uh. The Blahabad Gita or the Gita as it's sometimes just shortened to, is part of the Hindu epic, the Mahabarata. Technically it's book six in that, and the prince in question is the hero Arjina, part of the Pandava family that wages war against the Kravas. That's the big struggle, that's that's key to the Mahabarata. Anyway, at the beginning of the Gita, which Oppenheimer is is quoting here, Arjina rides his chariot onto the field of forthcoming battle between these two families. But he suddenly overcome by doubt and depression, as he notes there there on the other side, within the ranks of the enemy, he recognizes friends, relatives, teachers, and therefore has this just immense weight descend upon him. This is a quote from it. This is as translated by Edwin Arnold in eighteen eighty five. And as as is always the case with translated works of literature and poetry, you know the English is going to be approximate, and certainly with Hinduism there are many cases where particular ideas and phrases don't really have a parallel word in English. Anyway, it goes as follows quote. Thus, if we slay kinsfolk and friends for love of earthly power, a vat, what an evil fault it were better? I deem it? If my kinsmen strike to face them, weaponless and bear my breast to shaft and spear, then answer blow with blow. So speaking in the face of those two hosts, Arginus sank upon his chariot seat and let fall bow and arrows. Sick at heart, so the prospect of the forthcoming bloodshed is just too much for him. But what does he do? He turns to his chariot tea for council, and luckily his charioteer is the blueskinned Krishna, the avatar of the mighty Vishnu, and he gives him his council. In fact, he gives him his council for eighteen chapters. That's what the Gita is is basically him providing all of this philosophical and spiritual advice on what it is to have to make these sorts of decisions and engage in war and duty and so forth.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of like something like the Book of Job in the form we have it now, which you have a sort of small framing narrative that mainly contains a didactic discourse on theological matters.
Speaker 1: Right now, if you want to like a really good breakdown of this episode in the Mahabarata of the Gita, and especially as it relates to Oppenheimer in his life, there's a wonderful paper that you can find out there in full on the Internet from James A. Heiji, a professor of history, University of Massachud's Dartmouth. This was a nice write up he did for the American Philosophical Society in two thousand and He goes into greater depth, but he also summarizes Krishna's counsel as follows. He says, look, you're a soldier, Argina. You have to fight. Fighting is your duty, so you need to do it. He also says, look, Krishna, you know this god who I also am is going to be the one to determine who lives and who dies. It's not your place to mourn or rejoice over human loss in this case, you should try to remain unattached from the outcome. And then also faith in Krishna is going to be what saves your soul, Argina, And this is the most important part of the whole scenario. But as Argina begins to metaphorically see the light or I suppose behold the true nature of the reality he's faced with, he asks if he can see Krishna's god like form, and this site ultimately seals Arjina's case commitment to do his duty. And this occurs in chapter eleven, verse thirty two, where where the now cosmically embodied Vishnu speaks to Arjina. And what he exactly says to English speaking years is going to depend on the translation, but for instance, the writer translation has him say death, am I a my present task destruction. There's a translation by Arnold that says, thou seest me as Time, who kills Time, who brings all to doom? The slayer Time, ancient of days, come hither to consume. And there's another one I came across that I thought was pretty good. I am mighty time, the source of destruction that comes forth to annihilate the worlds. And I've always loved this one by jab Van Bettinen quote, I am time grown old to destroy the world embarked on the course of world annihilation. I am time grown Old'll always find that kind of there's something kind of perplexing about that phrasing that seems to be fitting this all powerful being that is, you know, that has taken on his true form to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something that comes in the fullness of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting the way the personification as time further serves that purpose of the kind of depersonalization of one's role in history. You know, there is a kind of like a fate or world path that is executed through the passing of time, and what you are is someone who plays a role within it, not the shape or of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Again, it is even in translation as it's this really perplexing and beautiful passage. Now, I should stress that Oppenheimer was not religiously Hindu, but he was interested in Hindu scripture, and clearly he found an association here between his role and the creation of the bomb, and the idea of duty performed regardless of potential outcome. Now, he certainly is bending the text here because in the Gita Vishnu slash Krishna is saying, look, I'm the prime mover here, I'm the one who destroys you. Just do your duty. Oppenheimer seems to be implying the opposite, that there perhaps is no all powerful force that bears the burden of our deeds, that the burden is instead on the shoulders of those involved in the creation of such a weapon. You know, when he's saying, you know, now I am become death, and that we all felt that way one way way or another. I mean, I mean, he is, he is. He seems he's confronting the personal responsibility that seems to be there in the creation of such a weapon.
Speaker 3: But so it does seem that there's this this double terror in Oppenheimer's mind, like what if we fail? But also what if we succeed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, that's something that Heigea gets into. You know, this this idea that there's this immense fear of failure. You know, what if we don't develop the bomb as we've been tasked with and what will that mean for us? But then, yeah, how much mass human death will be brought into the world, even on the short term if this is successful, without even getting into the way that it will change the landscape of not only warfare and potential warfare in global security, but just human civilization itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so many ways you can track the impact of the invention of nuclear weapons. Clearly one of them is a sort of like world psychological impact. You know, there's bomb consciousness in the world now that that sort of will always be there unless nuclear weapons are entirely eliminated, But even then they would there'd probably still be the knowledge that they could be built again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this reminds me of one of Grant Morrison's creations for the Doom Patrol comic book, the idea of the candle Maker, this embodiment of all of our apprehension surrounding nuclear annihilation that takes on this kind of godlike, really almost kind of terrifying, Vishnu like appearance in the human psyche.
Speaker 3: Is this the guy who's made of wax?
Speaker 1: It is, and we'll have more to say about him in a forthcoming October episode of Stuff to Blow Your mind.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, it's almost October.
Speaker 1: It is. But to come back to the part of Oppenheimer's quote that is not part of the GETA, we knew the world would not be the same, and that that is true. It wasn't. It isn't, and you're probably aware of most of the reasons why. But in today's episode, we're going to look at some of the particular ways that it was changed, particularly regarding you know, a few environmental scenarios as well as the nature of steel.
Speaker 3: Yes, So getting into these lesser known environmental effects, I want to start with the fact that might seem extremely odd, which I was reading about in an article published in the journal Health Physics in two thousand and seven by a health physicist named Timothy P. Lynch, and the articles called a historically significant shield for in vivo measurements, And the fact goes like this. In Richland, Washington, there is a research facility called the in Vivo Radio bio Assay and Research Facility. And within this facility there is a special room that is surrounded on all sides by thick plates of steel that was once part of a World War Two era battleship called the USS Indiana. This was a battleship that served in the war. It was launched in nineteen forty one. It was in a number of battles It served extensively in the Pacific theater during the war, and then after it was decommissioned, they took steel out of the ship to build this room. Why would anybody do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't know the answer, it sounds a bit mysterious, right all. It sounds like the kind of thing Grant Morrison would make up where you're having to engage in some sort of magical ritual involving steel from old ships.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it totally sounds like something magical, either kind of magical or symbolic thinking of like, you know, I'm gonna melt down the statue of the Golden Calf for the false idol or king or whatever and turn it into something holy.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make a throne out of all the swords of those who once opposed my rule.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yes, it is the iron throne. So this is the iron throne of rooms. Now the room is again an in vivo radio bioassay detector, and Lynch tells us in the paper that quote the detection system is used to monitor workers for intakes of fission and activation products. So this means that it's used to check workers people to see if they have ingested tiny radioactive particles known as radionuclides. Radio nuclides consist of atoms that can decay into different isotopes and emit radiation as they do so. And if you take the into your body, say by swallowing them or breathing them in, they can do this inside your body and provide internal radiation sources which you do not want. They can pose a serious health risk. If enough of them accumulate in the body, a large dose could cause acute radiation syndrome. Prolonged exposure to even smaller doses over time could be a risk for damaging DNA and causing cancer. This is to use one example why you don't want to consume things that would come from a radioactively contaminated area, you know, somewhere around a nuclear meltdown. Why would you not want to, say, you know, roll around in the dirt near Chernobyl or drink the water there. It's because the environment is contaminated with radio nuclides, these little particles that you don't want anywhere near your body. You do not want them going inside you. So people who get tested regularly in this room would include Department of Energy workers. But Lynch also mentions that the room has been used to test a helicopter pilot and some other workers from Chernobyl, as well as children from Chernobyl I guess who lived nearby, So this has been in use for a long time and it's used to measure the radiation coming from living people. So somebody walks into the detector room, they get scanned for radio nuclides across the length of the body by a counting system that Lynch describes as comprised of five coaxial germanium detectors. And because the level of radiation emitted by these radio nuclides is usually very faint outside the body, you need an extremely sensitive detector. And here you hit another problem, which is interference from background levels of radiation coming from the rest of the world. So you've got cosmic sources, atmospheric sources, terrestrial sources. So in order to scan the body properly, you need a room with extremely tight radiation shielding and this is where the steel comes in. So the counting chain here is surrounded by a thin layer of lead and then cadmium and then copper. This is what's known together as a graded Z shield. And then outside that you have thirty solid centimeters of steel that's all pre war battleship steel, and this keeps the background radiation within the chamber within low minimum detectable activities. But the question remains, Okay, so you need thirty centimeters of steel, but why couldn't you just build your radiation shield out of any old steel, Like, if regular steel is good enough for your car and your appliances and your skyscrapers, why would you have to harvest the flesh of a decommissioned battleship in order to build this thick radiation shield.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, it's easy to sort of leap to magical conclusions. It's kind of like, well, we live in a we live in a sinful world. We have to build our sacred vessel out of wood from the garden of Eden, you know, you know, the atomic aid just so scarred our world that we have to we have to find artifacts from before that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it certainly does feel like that, but no, there is actually a very good physical, scientific reason for this, and maybe we should take a break and then get back into it when we come back.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back.
Speaker 3: So we've been talking about the idea of a radiation shielding around a very sensitive radiation detector room. And the shielding was made out of steel that was harvested from a decommissioned World War II battleship called the USS Indiana. So the question is, why would you need to get steel from a source like that, Why couldn't you just use regular steel. Well, so let's look at how you make steel. Steel is of course a mixture of iron and carbon and sometimes other additives to create alloys with special properties, and crucially for our purposes, the process for making steel involves the incorporation of atmospheric gas. I was reading about this in an article for Chemistry World by Kit Chapman. I think it was also a podcast episode of THEIRS talking about how there are two major industrial processes for making steel in the modern world. One is known as the Bessemer process, and this involves melting the iron in a furnace and then removing impurities by blowing air through the molten metal. The other is known as the Bos process, and this is similar but it uses pure oxygen instead of air, but that oxygen is still extracted from the atmosphere, and so the problem is that either way, the gas you're blowing through the molten iron to make your steel comes from the atmosphere, from the air. And ever since nuclear weapon tests began in nineteen forty five, that has not exactly been regular air.
Speaker 1: It is bomb air, yeah, the gasly truth of it is, we find ourselves saying, oh, we need to use air in this as like all that the air we breathe, that's where we set off a whole lot of nuclear weapons and therefore changed it.
Speaker 3: That air is not good enough for our steel, for the special steel, at least.
Speaker 1: Just for our breathing and our food and our children and so forth.
Speaker 3: Now we'll get a bit more into the history of the nuclear testing era in a second here, but in short, there was a period of time in the middle of the twentieth century when lots of nuclear weapons tests were conducted around the world, and these tests seeded the atmosphere with radioactive contamination. Now, the levels today are much lower than they were, say in the mid nineteen sixties, when these tests have been going on for a decade and a half, But even today the air still contains some radioactive isotopes such as cobalt sixty and others that is left over from the hundreds of nuclear detonations that characterize the post war period. Now this had many effects, of course, the most important of which are probaly like the health effects on humans and the effects on wildlife. But another one of the effects is that for a long time you couldn't make steel via normal processes without it being potentially contaminated with radioactive particles. Not so many radioactive particles that it would be unsafe for regular use, but enough that it would be unsuitable if you were trying to make a sensitive instrument. So if you needed to make a Geiger counter or shielding for a sensitive radio bioassay chamber, So what would you do. Well, it probably wasn't impossible to make steel without environmental contaminants from nuclear tests, but it would have been expensive and difficult. And another option presented itself, which was harvesting steel made before the Trinity test in nineteen forty five, and this precious material became known in the industry as low background steel. Low background because of its low background radiation, and what would be a great source of huge quantities of pre bombed steel old naval vessels. So, to come back to the Timothy Lynch article about the radio bio assay facility in Richland, the USS Indiana was again the battleship that was sourced was the source here. It was decommissioned on September eleventh, nineteen forty seven, and then sold for scrap after it was taken off the navy list in June first, nineteen sixty two. And as the ship was dismantled, some parts were kept for ceremonial purposes, like the main mast and a forty millimeter gun were put on display on the campus of India University, Bloomington. And I know some of its anchors were put on display at various museums and memorials. You know, its compasses, wheels and all that went to places where you can honor the fallen ships.
Speaker 1: Wow, this really drives home this metaphor of the ship is a fallen beast, like the warship is a thing that once dead. You know that certain parts are kept for like ceremonial purposes or display purposes, magical purposes, and yet other things are harvested for the raw meter bone of the.
Speaker 3: Creature right, and the raw meter bone would be the steel. Here the s made up the bulk of the ship was put to low background uses. So in Indiana, VA Hospital got sixty five tons of low background steel from the Indiana and that was used for their own background radiation counting facilities. But then lynch Write's quote. In addition to the VA Hospital facility, several large sections of the hull, weighing a total of two hundred and ten tons, were also fabricated into a room. These applications were probably never imagined by the original designers of the Indiana. These sections of the hull are still being used for the original purpose as a shield, but instead of protecting against artillery shells and torpedoes, the new purpose is to shield radiation detectors from the background radiations originating from cosmic, atmospheric, man made and terrestrial sources. So what was once armour again unitions is now armour against the entire universe and its radioactive contents. The room was first constructed at the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City, where it was used for many years in radio biology research, and then it was finally moved to the Richland facility in nineteen eighty eight, and the Indiana was not the only battleship that became a source of low background steel. So after the Armistice in nineteen eighteen, at the conclusion of World War One, the German High Seas Fleet was ordered to report to an Allied base known as the Scapa Flow, where the naval vessels were supposed to be handed over to the British Royal Navy. But the German officers did not like that. They had a different idea and they decided, sort of as a kind of last middle finger to the British, they scuttled their ships in the harbor. They sank their own ships on purpose so that the British couldn't have them. So now there are all those shipwrecks there. In fact, the Scapa Flow is well known for its World War One era shipwrecks and has been exploited extensively as a source of low background steel. And though it's not known for sure, I've read rumors, unconfirmed rumors that some early spacecraft may have used low background steel from the scap of Flow or other res in radiation detectors. Interesting now I mentioned this earlier, but it's worth pointing out again that the atmosphere is much less radioactive today than it was at the height of nuclear testing in the middle of the century. For example, cobalt sixty has a half life of about five point three years, and there has been a lot less nuclear testing since the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in nineteen sixty three, certainly a lot less atmospheric testing. So the atmosphere should be reduced to near pre war levels of background contamination within a reasonable amount of time, but it took decades. So Robert, when reading about this, I came across a comic strip I thought you might like. It's one of the XKCD comics, and in it they build a time machine. But it turns out the time machine requires lead from sunken Roman warships, and this is of course hard to come by, so they determined they have enough lead for one trip into the past, and in this way through time travel, Greek Fire is born. It's kind of like the the You know, if you could you only had one wish from a genie, what do you do, well? You wish for more wishes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, more wishes? Yeah. I love this little comic strip. I had not seen it before you shared it with me. But it's especially nice because I just started watching some nineties episodes of The Outer Limits, and this is the kind of sort of Outer limitsy sort of plot. Maybe skewed a little bit for comedic purposes, but you know, it's it's the kind of twist you expect in time travel fiction. I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if I wasn't totally clear and you didn't get they travel back in time and use their future weapons on Roman warships, and of course that was the legend of Greek Fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they take like a helicopter with a flamethrower back in time and set to light the Roman ships.
Speaker 3: Now, I guess we've made several references to this nuclear testing age in the middle of the twentieth century. Of course, this began in the nineteen forties. The first one was again the Trinity Test by the United States in July nineteen forty five. The Soviet Union first performed nuclear weapons tests in nineteen forty nine. Tests took place all over the place. They were in the upper atmosphere, underground, in the ocean, and once several other The majority of the tests were by the United States and the Soviet Union, but several other countries eventually got involved, and there were a lot of bomb tests in the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're probably wondering, well, just how many? So I looked around for a good total on this. I find that the estimates vary a little bit. I mean not a lot. But according to Darryl Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association, which is a great source for the sort of information, this is what they had to say in a July twenty twenty report. Quote. Since the first nuclear test explosion on July sixteenth, nineteen forty five, at least eight nations have detonated two thousand and fifty six nuclear test explosions at dozens of test sites, including Lopnor in China, the atolls of the Pacific, Nevada, Algeria, where France conducted its first nuclear device, Western Australia, where the UK exploded nuclear weapons, the South Atlantic Semipalitans in Kazakhstan, across Russia, and elsewhere.
Speaker 3: So that's over two thousand nuclear test explosions in total. And if you're looking specifically at atmospheric tests alone, which are often considered like the worst kind in terms of proliferating contaminants into the atmosphere. Of course those would be There were definitely more than five hundred atmospheric tests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you start breaking down the numbers, the US conducted most of these with let's see some two hundred and fifteen atmospheric tests and eight hundred and fifteen underground tests. The USSR slash Russia ranks second with two hundred and nineteen atmospheric tests and four hundred and ninety six underground test and the remaining ranking goes like this. You got France than the UK and China. They're tied UK and China with a total of forty five tests each. Then you have North Korea, India and Pakistan. The United States is of course responsible for the only wartime detonation of nuclear weapons as in utilized as weapons against another people. Two bombs deployed against the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, killing between one hundred and twenty nine thousand and two hundred and twenty six thousand people, mostly civilians. Needless to say, those were both atmospheric detonations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and of course with each of these tests there is going to be more radioactive contamination entering the atmosphere. Now, in nineteen sixty three, the Partial Nuclear Test Ban treaty to ban tests in the atmosphere and underwater, so basically it banned all except underground tests. It did not really stop nuclear proliferation, but it did massively decrease the dispersal of radionuclides into the atmosphere. Now, there's been another perhaps unexpected, interesting environmental side effect of the nuclear testing age, which is how it has affected atmospheric levels of carbon fourteen and the way that this has turned into an unexpected number of scientific tools that can be used to study the natural world. So, in nature, carbon fourteen is a radioactive isotope of carbon that is generated in Earth's atmosphere every minute of every day. The Earth is of course bombarded by cosmic rays, and cosmic rays are charged particles, usually protons and atomic nuclei, which are emitted from high energy sources, including the Sun, but also places far away, usually traveling near the speed of light. And when one of these high energy particles enters the atmosphere, it sometimes strikes atoms to generate free neutrons, and a free neutron then combines with a regular atom of nitrogen fourteen to produce an atom of carbon fourteen, and this carbon fourteen then pairs up with oxygen to create carbon fourteen CO two, So there's a lot of carbon fourteen in the atmosphere is just produced at a steady rate naturally as the cosmic rays are coming in, and this carbon fourteen CO two gets into everything that ingests atmospheric carbon. So plants suck in CO two with a predictable amount of carbon fourteen and they use that carbon to make their bodies, and then the trees and the grass and the corn are all made out of carbon content that is retrieved from the air and has a certain amount of carbon fourteen in it. So if you do a molecular analysis of a plant, you will have a certain proportion of carbon fourteen in there, because cause the atmosphere does, about one out of every trillion carbon atoms is a carbon fourteen atom. But of course it doesn't stop at plants, because we also exist in a carbon fourteen generating atmosphere. You know, all the chemistry on Earth is sort of interconnected. So we eat those plants, and we eat animals that eat those plants, so our bodies also have a predictable amount of carbon fourteen content. And as I said earlier, carbon fourteen is radioactive, which is another way of saying it's unstable. It has a known half life, so we know that it decays into other isotopes at a regular, predictable rate. So if you die and you stop breathing and stop eating, the amount of carbon fourteen in your body will steadily decrease over the years. And what scientists figured out in the twentieth century was that you could use the amount of carbon fourteen in a formerly living object or an object formerly incorporating a known percentage of atmospheric carbon, to see approximately how long it had been since that organism stopped ingesting carbon from the environment, in other words, when it died. And this has been amazingly useful to the historical sciences. This has created the era of carbon fourteen dating. It's been enormously useful to archaeologists and all kinds of other scientists to analyze and date organisms and substances from the past. But nuclear testing, beginning in the nineteen forties and especially since the nineteen fifties, has introduced new wrinkles into this. It has introduced new layers of radiocarbon science, both some complications to the existing radiocarbon science and new tools that scientists couldn't have predicted at first that they would have. And so next, I just wanted to talk a bit about a really, really excellent article in The Atlantic by Carl Zimmer. Can we say friend of the show? Carl Zimmer? He's a former guest of the show, Carl Zimmer.
Speaker 1: Well, let's see, we laid out specific rules for this in the past, right if you're on the show once, you're a former guest or a previous guest of the show. Okay, I think you have to be on two times to be a friend of the show, or is it three times? I can't remember how that status.
Speaker 3: Side delar, we break. We've been the rules all the time. Carl's one of my favorite science writers. He wrote an excellent book called She Has Her Mother's Laugh that we talked about on the show. And this article is just fantastic. But it's called nuclear Tests Marked Life on Earth with a radioactive Spike, And this article, of course is worth reading on its own. But I wanted to talk about a few things that Carl gets into here about some of the environmental effects of nuclear testing, specifically relating to carbon fourteen.
Speaker 1: So Carl Zimmer, in addition to having been a wonderful and just cheerful guest of the show, is just a wonderful writer. As always. I want to read just a little bit from this article here to set the stage. Quote. Carbon fourteen, produced by hydrogen bombs spread over the entire world. It worked itself into the atmosphere, the oceans, and practically every living thing. As it spread, it exposed secrets. It can reveal when we were born. It tracks hidden changes to our hearts and brains. It lights up the cryptic channels that join the entire biosphere into a single network of chemical flux. This man made burst of carbon fourteen has been such a revelation that scientists referred to it as quote the bomb spike. Only now is the bomb spike close to disappearing, But as it vanishes, scientists have found a new use for it to track global warming, the next self inflicted threat to our survival.
Speaker 3: The part of this that sticks with me the most is where he talks about how looking at carbon fourteen in the way it penetrates the whole biosphere. Really, it's one of those you know, like the brain lights up with the sudden realization that, to use a sort of stoner cliche, everything's connected. But it really is, like literally an scientific way is there is a single sort of chemical flux that takes place all throughout this planet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I keep coming back to this, this basic like this, this this sort of you know, arguably hippie notion, this everything's connected, We're all one world, one people, et cetera, which I know is something that everyone has heard so many times that even if you believe in it wholeheartedly, it can it can sound a little limp, you know, in your ears. And yet like that's I mean, that is the reality that drives through in all of this science, and it stands in such harsh contrast to the way certain individuals in like the political and the military sphere view nuclear weapons. The idea that like, you know, certainly we can say a head of state using a nuclear weapon against a city within their own nation, that would be that would be ridiculous, that would be monstrous. But it's but but then those you know, people will say, oh, but do you use it again to another nation and other people that's less monstrous. But no, no, it's all interconnected in a scientifically verifiable way. I mean, it's one atmosphere at the very base level, without getting into some of the other issues we're going to explore, and just the basic ethical framework of the choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it makes me think of that commonly sided thing about astronauts very often, you know, seeing the Earth from space and then suddenly feeling more of a kinship with all of humankind and not feeling nearly as much, not feeling the reality of national borders and things like that nearly as much anymore. It's funny how easily those illusions can be dissolved just by sort of a single visual impression or a single realization about, say, how chemistry works, that you're suddenly like, oh, wait a minute, you know, there's just sort of earth life, and we really need to make this work and not create problems that aren't necessary to begin with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those lines on those maps, they really do nothing against radioactive particles and certainly concepts such as nuclear fallout or a climate change.
Speaker 3: So going into Carl Zimmer's article, as I said, it's worth reading the article in full. It's really fantastic. He begins by telling the story of the castle Bravo test in nineteen fifty four, which is both awe inspiring and horrifying and heartbreaking. But later on, when he's getting into the scientific history of carbon fourteen, he talks about the Chicago physicist Willard Libby, who is a Nobel Prize winning or did I say physicist, I think he would be called a physical chemist. He was somebody who studied radioactive elements and was one of the major developers of carbon fourteen dating. And one of the really interesting things that Libby does is that Libby ends up comparing measurements of methane from say living current sources. Say methane comeing off of a sewage plant, so this is going to be sewage from things that are currently alive, versus methane coming off of fossil fuels like oil that has been there for millions of years. And what he showed was that, say, the methane coming off of the excrita produced by living humans is something close to about the atmospheric level. Meanwhile, what's coming the methane coming off of fossil fuels, coming off of say oil that's been there for millions of years, has essentially no carbon fourteen in it right, because it's been there for so long that all of the radioactive isotopes of carbon have decayed, so it's just got regular carbon in it. And there was some other really interesting experiments too, but one of the things I wanted to focus on was Carl's profiling of the New Zealand physicist Ethyl Rafter. So Rafter was picking up on Libby's research and he was interested in radiocarbon dating. In its early days, he used it to test the bones of extinct birds and ancient volcanic eruptions. But he also tried to help refine the technique itself by performing measurements of the radio carbon in the atmosphere. And he would do this by setting out a tray of lye on top of it on a hilltop, and the lye would capture CO two from the air, and then he would measure the atmospheric levels of carbon fourteen or the ratio. Of course, whenever we're talking about the levels of carbon fourteen, we're talking about the ratio of carbon fourteen to regular carbon. And so Rafter would have been doing his research in the nineteen fifties and what he expected was that levels of radio carbon in the atmosphere would sort of bounce up and down, there'd just be sort of a natural fluctuation around a baseline. But instead he found an extremely steady trend. The level of carbon fourteen was just continually going up. And what was the reason. Well, it was the nineteen fifties, So to quote from the article, the Castle Bravo test and the ones that followed had to be the source. They were turning the atmosphere upside down. Instead of cosmic rays falling from space, they were sending neutrons up to the sky, creating a huge new supply of radiocarbon. In nineteen fifty seven, Rafter published as results in the journal Science. The implications were immediately clear and astonishing. Man made carbon fourteen was spreading across the planet from test sites in the Pacific and the Arctic. It was even passing from the air into the oceans and trees. And when they checked, they found increasing levels of radiocarbon in everything, in tree rings in Texas, in snails in Holland, in the lungs of recently deceased people from New York, even in the blood of living people. There's just extra carbon fourteen in everything. And as bomb radiocarbon. So the bomb radiocarbon would be would be up in the upper atmosphere, and as it settles back down to Earth, it becomes a sort of tracerle that can be used as a scientific tool. So Carl quotes from somebody named Steve Beauprey, who's an oceanographer at Stonybrook University, and he's quoted in the article saying that carbon fourteen is inextricably linked to our understanding of how water moves. So I thought this was so interesting. So in the nineteen seventies, oceanographers found that there was bomb radiocarbon that was distributed throughout the top one thousand meters of the ocean's water column. So if you go down one thousand meters, you're going to find atmospheric radiocarbon the elevated levels that you'd get from a bomb. But then if you go down below that suddenly not so much anymore. And this became a really important piece of evidence in estimating the or in establishing that the ocean, like the atmosphere, had layers, and that water was primarily circulated within rather than between these layers. Carl writes, quote the warm relatively fresh water on the surface of the ocean glides over the cold, salty depths. These surface currents become saltier as they evaporate, and eventually, at a few crucial spots on the planet, these streams get so dense that they fall to the bottom of the ocean. The bomb radiocarbon from Castle Bravo didn't start plunging down into the depths of the North Atlantic until the nineteen eighties, when John Clark this character from the Castle Bravo test was two decades into retirement. It's still down there where it will be carried along the seafloor by bottom hugging ocean currents for hundreds of years before it rises to the light of day. And he points out also that lots of ocean life bears the seal of the bomb spike. Again, this is from atmospheric tests, so this is not even underwater test. This is atmospheric tests coming down into the ocean. Bomb radiocarbon falls into the ocean. It infiltrates everything from algae to the rings of calcium carbonate within coral growth, and then it forms this kind of slime so quote. The living things in the upper reaches of the ocean release organic carbon that falls gently to the seafloor, a jumble of protoplasmic goo, dolphin droppings, starfish eggs, and all manner of detritus that scientists call marine snow. In recent decades, that marine snow has become more radioactive. In the article, he also profiles a researcher named Mary Gaylord who works at the National Ocean Science's Accelerator Mass Spectrometry Facility, which is known as no SAMs for short, and that's at the woods Hull, which is where Hooper comes from in Jaws, Oh huh. And she measures radiocarbon and everything from bat guano to fish eyes. There's a lot about fish eyes in this article, which is more interesting than you'd think because surprisingly the study of radiocarbon and fish eye lenses can tell us a lot like the cores of fish eye land lenses have the same levels of carbon fourteen as the fish did when they were still egg So it's a really good age indicator. And this knowledge was used by Danish researchers in twenty sixteen to create an aging metric for these cold bottom dwelling animals, the greenland sharks, which you might have read about them because they grow so old. This helped confirm the discovery that these animals could live to be almost four hundred years old. So a lot of these are pre bomb sharks. And actually this also applies to humans. People born in the early nineteen sixties have more radiocarbon in the lenses in their eyes than people born before the nuclear testing age, and people born in the years since then have less and less as time passes since the Partial Test Ban Treaty. Bomb radiocarbon can also be used to date human teeth. But there's a very sobering fact that's discussed at the end of Zimmer's article, which is that the proportion of carbon fourteen currently in the atmosphere is actually a bit lower than would be predicted by the known nuclear tests and the known rate of decay and absorption by the Earth and seas. So what makes the difference, Like why is there less carbon fourteen than we think there should be? And it turns out there's an answer to that. The answer is fossil fuels. Remember how I mentioned earlier that the methane coming off of oil had basically no carbon fourteen in it because the oil is so old. All of the carbon fourteen has already decayed. It's gone. So as we release carbon from these ancient carbon sources into the atmosphere, we're putting a much higher percentage than normal of regular carbon up there, which actually dilutes what carbon fourteen there is. Carlzember points out that in nineteen fifty four, which was the year of the Castle Bravo test, humans emitted six billion tons of carbon dioxide that year. Quote, in twenty eighteen, humans emitted about thirty seven billion tons, which is more than six times more as Willard Libby first discovered. This fossil fuel has no radiocarbon left. By burning it, we are lowering the level of radiocarbon in the atmosphere like a bartender watering down the top shelf liquor, which is so strange. So the remaining signature of humanity's first great sort of civilization level threat technology is being diluted by the ever increasing mark of our other one, by the second one. Wow, all right, I guess we need to take a quick break, but we'll be right back with more.
Speaker 1: So I have another example of a specific resulting scientific discovery from a nuclear test that I ran across and it concerns the test known as Starfish Prime. So this was a one point for megaton thermonuclear device launched two hundred and fifty miles or four hundred kilometers into the sky near Johnston A Tall. So it is the largest outer space nuclear detonation ever committed. It occurred around eleven pm local time, this would be in that region, and the thermonuclear sphere burned like a new sun in the night sky. And if you look up Starfish Prime online you can see photos that were taken from Honolulu, Hawaii at the time, and it does look like a sun in the sky. Wow. Afterwards, an aura could be seen as well for thousands of kilometers. It also resulted, and this kind of comes down to one of the key findings. It resulted in an electromagnetic pulse or an EMP, something that had been suspected by scientists, but this was really the proof in the pudding. It ended up disrupting the flow of electricity for hundreds of kilometers around it, with its most of its disruptions felt in Hawaii itself. It also damaged six satellites which ultimately failed, and other failures might be link to Starfish Prime. As well, so this was ended up being an effect that was far stronger than anticipated. Now, now that's all interesting, but obviously a test like this expand is going to expand on our understanding of the weapon technology being tested. But the side effect here is that the CD one oh nine tracers released by the detonation allowed scientists to work out some of the seasonal mixing rate of polar and tropical air masses. So again comes down to the fluid dynamics of in our earlier example, the ocean, and here with atmospheric movement.
Speaker 3: This also touches on something that comes up with the Castle Bravo test and a number of other tests, you know, the Castle Bravo being the hydrogen bomb that turned out to be a much bigger explosive yield than was predicted. And this is not just a scientific curiosity, and this is something that had tragic consequences for real people like the people of the wrongolap Atoll, who were pretty nearby where the Castle Bravo test was conducted, were affected horribly with by like fallout from the test just because it was so much bigger than the scientists thought it was going to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see this trend with a number of the earlier tests where they don't get quite what they were expecting, or you know, it's larger, or it doesn't go off exactly the way it was planned. And and indeed, in many cases it means people were sickened, people's health suffered because of these tests. The environments were tainted by the radiation are still tainted in some cases the cases people have been dislocated and have not yet been able to return. You know, we believe we're calling this episode the atomic scar. But a scar, we tend to think of is something that is visible but is fully healed. And the thing about a lot of these tests is that it's it's not so much a scar, but it is like a thick scab, and if we are to pick at it again, we may bleed. In fact, we may bleed for the duration of our lives sort of situations. So so yeah, these kind of coming back to what we said earlier about, you know, about the world in which we conduct these tests. You know, we might think, oh, we're not setting this off in the house, We're setting it off in the backyard, you know, but but ultimately, you know, the wilds of Nevada or some islands you know off the coast of Australia. These are these are part of the world we live in and it's part of the atmosphere that we all breathe, part of the ocean that we all depend on.
Speaker 3: And even underground tests are not without some environmental consequences. I mean not nearly as much as say atmospheric or underwater test, but underground tests too can can produce leakages.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, on the subject of underwater tests, I was reading a little bit more about these and these were banned by the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in nineteen sixty three, but the US, the UK, and the USSR managed to conduct a total of nine before that that band came into place, and these included shallow detonations to see how the weapon would impact ships, as well as deep detonations to see how they might be used against submarines or how they would impact submarines. The deepest was the nineteen fifty five Wigwam test at a depth of two thousand feet six hundred and ten meters. Now, an author by the name of Sarah Lascal wrote a really good article about the US tests for Atlas Obscura pointing out that the water is what really made the tests more problematic, because instead of spreading radioactive particles through a wider atmospheric region, it instead released an immediate radioactive water cloud. So the ships used in these tests were highly radiated and impossible to clean, so they were just towed out to the deep and scuttled. Now Lascal writes that quote, the Atomic Energy Commission would not sign off on it until it was clear that no one in the United States or Mexico was at risk and that the test area was relatively free of marine life. But the test certainly killed fish in other organisms. I read an account by a UK veteran who was of course working with some of those UK tests, claims that men were sent out in boats to collect dead irradiated fish after the test was conducted. And this particular test would have been the nineteen fifty two Hurricane test in the Montebello Islands, as this was the only UK underwater nuclear test that was conducted.
Speaker 3: And of course in a lot of these tests in the Pacific Islands and stuff, even when the explosion was carried out in the atmosphere, it was still extremely damaging to marine life. Like yeah, there's a part in Carl Zimmer's article that we were talking about earlier where he talks about with the Castle Bravo test in fifty fourte within seconds, the fireball had lofted ten million tons of pulverized coral reef coated in radioactive material.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean these atmospheric tests were also devastating to these areas. One area that frequently comes up is Bikini Atoll. This is where the first underwater test was conducted Baker, but also you had many other atmospheric tests that took place there as well. And what's interesting here is that there have been some studies over the past decade or so that have really looked at how the local environment has bounced back, and indeed it does show that nature can be very resistant to even this kind of, you know, intense damage. That they say that corals have recolonized bomb craters. Other life forms are doing well, even if there are some curious mutations like sharks missing their second dorsal fin that sort of thing. The general belief is that at least with Bikini, that the worst affected fish died off decades ago, and today's fish populations are only exposed to low radiation levels as they frequently swim in and out. Plus, these are also areas that have been left alone by humans, they more so than other marine areas. Now one should also note that the occupants of the area around Bikini Atoll and the Marshall Islands were displaced by the test, some one hundred and sixty seven people, I believe, and they've never been able to return. Their dislocation was supposed to be temporary. But then on top of that, children in the Marshall Islands were observed to experience thyroid problems long after nuclear tests ended. Now we've thus far been talking about nuclear testing, and of course beyond that, I think we can hardly talk about nuclear testing without at least briefly discussing the prospect of nuclear war itself, because that is ultimately what the testing is all about. Now you can make the argument that ultimately it's about preventing that sort of warfare from taking place by making sure you have a terrifying number of nuclear weapons in your armament, or the reverse is true, that you were to developing these weapons which may potentially be used. Any nuclear weapon is a potential holocaust, you know, contained within the warhead, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess the advocates of the pro nuclear armament theory would say, well, what we did is that we did these tests so that we wouldn't have to have actual wars, and the tests discouraged, say the United States and the Soviet Union from actually ever initiating a real, you know, shooting war with each other. Of course, there were plenty of proxy conflicts and all that. I mean, in a way you can only you know, you can never know how sure to be about counterfactuals like that. People are saying, well, things would have been worse if we hadn't had the nuclear threat looming over us to discourage us from going to war. I guess it's hard to know whether that's true or not. But I guess it's also though, it's just hard to calculate costs and benefits when you're thinking about when you know, the potential cost is like a civilization ending worldwide calamity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that indeed, you know, to come back to the idea of the world changing forever, I mean that is one of the frequently touched upon aspects of the whole scenario is that it is humanity's ability to truly destroy itself and ultimately within a very short period of time. Now, I know that this kind of brings us to a kind of a dark corner for the end of the podcast, And I know a lot of you don't like considering such possibilities. I don't like considering such possibilities either. If you are troubled by such possibilities, I would urge you to consider following a group like the Arms Control Association at Armscontrol dot org or any number of other anti nuclear weapon or nuclear weapon control or disarmament groups. And if you're in a position to use your vote to favor candidates political candidates who take nuclear testing and nuclear war seriously and are committed to certainly not testing them, but even you know, not even raising the question of their deployment or questioning why they shouldn't be used and that sort of thing, then you should you should do so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the Cold War may be over, but there are still lots and lots of nuclear weapons out there, and and fantasizing about nuclear escalation is not a joke. It's not it's not something to play around with.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, especially since I think we've touched on some of this on the show before. Like the the the the barriers between our current world and one of nuclear warfare. Those those barriers are not as thick as as sometimes we might think they are. Like the safeguards in place are are not that robust. We need to do everything we can to to to to lessen the possibility that such a thing could come to pass, either in a large scale, certainly, but even at a quote unquote small scale. All right, on that note, we're going to go ahead and close it out. In the meantime, we'd of course love to hear from you your thoughts about nuclear testing, nuclear weaponry, et cetera, or just sort of the overall impact on all of this on our world and our culture in the many ways the world would not be the same. In the meantime, if you want to check out other episodes of our show, you can do so by finding us wherever you get your podcasts and wherever that happens to be. We just asked the U rate, review and subscribe.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Seth Nicholas Johnson. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other to suggest a topic for the future, just to say hello. You can email us at contact That's Stuff to Blow Your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: Rattator