Speaker 1: It's so crazy because a lunch Mainstay films. And I was telling my partner the reason, like why the movies in Hollywood is so like in the space that it's in because they wasn't giving the youth or the people the ball. They wasn't giving them like the shot, like they want to do what they want to do or lean toward their people instead of like getting the culture or the youth involved fresh ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that people ain't never seen before, so they keep recycling the same ip, right, And it's.
Speaker 1: So crazy because like we just hit beer because I bought a script called Raven Valley, right, but it's just too it's like a duo, like a two brothers. But they they edited, they gonna they edited, they wrote it and they're gonna direct it. But you know, right now in the movie space, like that's what buy Buzzes says. So like I kind of really like got in early because I was just thinking that like six months before says came out and he bought the script. And it's so crazy because people had to double back because they had the script like two years and like people was passing on it. It's called Raven Valley Films. Is so crazy, Like once I really learned it, like how you can like come up with the idea, hire the writer and hire the director, attach the talent to the script and it could be halfway soul around the world before you even shut up first shoot and.
Speaker 2: Then when you realize how much how much it takes to do on you what am I waiting on?
Speaker 1: Right? And that's why my whole idea was to like not only produce the films and be in film space, but also the distribution. That's what Virgo the network, That's what that idea came in at, because like seventy five percent content won't be original, you know what I'm saying. From TV shows to movies, dramas, podcasts, stuff, stuff like that. Content won't be original.
Speaker 2: That should make sense, especially for somebody like you because you're a storyteller.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, are we good?
Speaker 2: You checked?
Speaker 1: Right? Check Broadway?
Speaker 2: How you doing? My brother?
Speaker 1: It's cool than that? Man.
Speaker 2: The new album Don't Look Down? So was this your seventh seventh studio album? Yeah, yeah, seventh studio album. What's that title meaning to you? Don't look down?
Speaker 1: I mean you get well me personally. Don't look Down means like like I get to I get in these moments while I can't even believe I'm here, And it's kind of like a metaphor, like you get so hot in the ground. It's not as scary as just don't if you don't look down, but looking down make the situation worse, you know what I'm saying, So I kind of used it metaphorically speaking like like the heights that I'm at, it's a lot of pressure, like you know, like you don't want to fail, you don't want to make the wrong moves. Like it's such a blessing and it's so rare, like with the hand that I was dealt to come as far as I came. Pause, you know what I'm saying, But just to be here in this space, it's like don't don't even like, don't look down, like just keep going, keep dreaming, don't let nobody, but don't nobody put no ceiling on you or what you can you can't do.
Speaker 2: I hear that in your music a lot. Man. That's why one of the things I wanted to talk to you about was just like fame and how fame might have might have changed things for you, right, Like like like we talk about money, Like what problem did money solve for you?
Speaker 1: Just like no limitations, like I got my own money cause I'm a I'm I don't I don't like to I don't like to take, like I don't like the negative, like no energy with like stuff or ideas that I have. You know what I'm saying, I don't want to wait on nobody or nobody that I don't want to play by nobody else rules. You know what I'm saying. Like I like to go, Like once I got something in my head, I want to do it, like that's what I want to do. And I feel like a lot of businesses a lot of stuff in today's time, like people use other people money and it's smart and it's okay to do. But like if I got something I'm passionate about, like I can just get up and push it. I can. I'm in control of my you know what I'm saying, destiny, How I feel like I'm financially you know what I'm saying stable, So all these ideas they can actually come to life, you know what I'm saying. And I feel like and I'm able to think clear, like I don't have to have the pressure or you know, what I'm saying, where it's gonna come from or what I'm gonna do for this. I can just think clear and see and you know what I'm saying, and just think at a different different level.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Oh, we know you're getting too the money, and we see the soul that shows of the arenas you got you got God like Todd mosk with showing up your interviews, heah, what problems did money create?
Speaker 1: Uh? It creates. I mean I feel like you always have problems, you know what I'm saying. Your problems just the problems just you know what I'm saying, became just different like they came, but they fit that suit. Like certain problems I could say, Like people, a lot of people feel entitled, you know what I'm saying, a lot of people feel like you know what I'm saying, like, oh, you got all that money, like you should be able to you know what I'm saying, People feeling title to it. You know what I'm saying. People people look at you when they see money, you know what I'm saying. So I feel like that's the number one problem with me with money. You know what I'm saying, It's just like that's all people's That's mostly what people see when they first see you. You know what I'm saying, They see money or you know what I'm saying, And it can ruin a lot of things, you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, that have success made trusting people easier or harder?
Speaker 1: I mean, success success doesn't didn't really like change the way I trust people. I mean, seeing I've always you know what I'm saying, felt like people got to earn trust, you know what I'm saying, no matter successful, you failing, poor, rich, trusts have to be earned, you know what I'm saying. So it didn't really like change their shift drastically. Like I saw a lot of things that I couldn't have imagined, you know what I'm saying when I got successful financially stable, But trust has to be earned. The where you're at, who you're talking about, where you go, Do.
Speaker 2: You feel successful? Do you still feel like you're surviving?
Speaker 1: I mean, hell yeah, Okay, I feel successful because I watched I watched me and my team put together a plan, study the plan, and execute it, and I feel successful And it got me ready for the world. Like I can look at anything and piece it together and deep like and break it down and put it back together. And now I feel like I can do whatever I put my mind to, Like it's actually possible to come up with a plan, come up with a blueprint, execute it and succeed.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what's the biggest misconception you think people have about about you?
Speaker 1: The biggest misconception people have about me is that I'm the biggest misconception that people have about me. I feel like people don't really understand, like my personality. I feel like I don't give give them as much of reality as I would, as as I as I wish, as much as I could. I don't give them enough reality to the point where they take whatever they see out in the world and they make that image of me because I give them so so little that they got to use, They got to work with what they got, you know what I'm saying. So the biggest misconception would be like my energy or my attitude towards like you know, I say life for people. You know what I'm saying. I feel like I'm like I'm the image that people got about me is totally different than you know. What I'm saying is.
Speaker 2: That by designs like you don't. You don't do a lot of interviews.
Speaker 1: Right, Nah, that's what I'm saying, Like, I I mean, I don't know, man, you know what I'm saying. I can't control with other people and what they put out in the world about me. I can't control that. I can only control what I put out in the world or what I do. And it's just not natural for me to push that on people or try to prove a point of who I am or you know what I'm saying, what I what I am, or how I just don't never feel the need to do that when I wake up in the morning. It's explaining that people prove to people who I am, Like, that's true. You want to take what you see online or you want to do that, Like, then that's your god given right. I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's dope though. That's like that's like old school star right, Like old school superstars, they had an era of mystery about them, you know what I mean, Like like you got their music and you had to hear what their life was like through their music. Every now and then you might get it and it'd be like rarely rarely. But I think that's dope, you know, move like Michael Jackson. And the one thing I like I like about you, man, it's like you're not out here doing no goofy shit, you know, like you ain't on the blogs and you know, all over social media doing dumbn shit like people know Broadway for being a dope artist telling out these shows and building a fan base through music, Like I think that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I think it's so crazy that you say that, because like he was just talking about that earlier, Like I feel like I'm roadway once out of the year, and when it's time to drop an album, do a tour, then I'm back to you know what I'm saying, normal living, And they really don't really hit me until it's time to drop albums or do tours or do press runs or I actually like remember who I remember who I am? You feel what I'm saying, because like, throughout the year, I'm just like normal, especially like this chapter that I'm on, chapter that I'm on, you know what I'm saying, like building businesses and getting deeper into the business and just like building companies and networking and building relationships. That's what I'm doing like three hundred days out of the year, you know what I'm saying that the other sixty five is like straight rock and roll, you know what I'm saying. But then it's back to the basics, and I feel like it's kind of like a good and a negative and a plus because negative, like I wish people didn't, you know what I'm saying, take my image and run with it. But it's a plus because that mysterious, like people some people understand that they only got what the Internet gave them and then make them want to dig a little deeper. You know.
Speaker 2: You know too, man, You know I always wonder about you, Like how does somebody who seems like they carry so much pain, at least in their music right become one of the biggest artists in America without letting that pain destroy them?
Speaker 1: Right? I mean it's bro I feel like everybody in the world, like people always taking that safe pain. Like I'm still not even like that word, you know what I'm saying, because it's not even just pain, like it's just testimony. It's just real life. Like if you get up in the morning and you late the word bad accident, fucking coffee spilled on you shit like whatever going on, right, and you come in the office and you talk about it like you not like crying or dwelling on it, or it wasn't painful, like it was just like something you went through and you found somebody express it to them and life went on. So like, I don't it can't destroy me because it's just it's I turned it just into a positive, right, And I feel like everybody in the world go through stuff, go through things, like everybody problems is you know what I'm saying, case by case, but it's all normal, Like it's not pain, it's not sad, it's it's normal. It's reality. Like the world is so stuck on the internet. Everybody's living these fake perfect lives. All these people living is fake fairy tale. You take sixty five pictures, but you only post three of them. You found the most perfect pictures. You see what I'm saying, You're gonna edit it and do all this and that, And I feel like that's not reality, you know what I'm saying. So I'm just living in reality. I'm just speaking. And that's why I say, like I'm on your way once a year because the rest of the year, I'm in reality, you know what I'm saying. Of course, I'm on social media and I'm watching and I'm laughing and joking and I'm watching this and watching TV. I know what's going on in the world, But I'm in reality, bro, and I try to keep that balance, you know what I'm saying, because the fake perfect and stuff like it's not real. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Are you aware that you give people, especially young men from the hood, permission to feel like they're not afraid to express their emotions and talk about what they're going through because of your music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's so crazy because I'm kind of like the sacrificial limb if you look at it, because men or young men, young black men, young men, black, green, orange, white, whatever color, like, it's not like if you talk about your problems or you get too vulnerable whatever, like, nobody want to hear it, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like the proof. I'm like the walking example that people, you know what I'm saying, don't care about what you go through. They don't care about how you feel. They don't And I feel like the people who feel how I feel, they connect with it. Right, like the young black men they see like them, I'm not tripping like it's just not me. Every is You can see that rock and all these fans and all these following and all these people who feel how he feel, how I feel, how you feel, you know what I'm saying. So I feel like it's it's cool that I was able to take reality right and turn it into a positive. And it's just like walking example of why men can't. Can't complain, You can't, you can't do nothing. You just got to shut up and deal with it because you is a man, right, and if you don't, people will polling at you and say, like, look at all your flaws and shit, while they while they got ten thousand more flaws than you, you know what I'm saying, but they just not talking about theirs are living in their truth, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That's right, But that's why you're used to connect with people the way that it does, because because because you live your truth. Is it a burden to be like everybody's therapists and you like the ghetto psychiatrists? Does it feel like a burden sometime?
Speaker 1: And not really, because I don't really look at it like that, like I'm making a song. I'm not looking at it like I gotta make it sure for these people. I'm not looking at it like I gotta do this for these people, like I'm just going in there having my own little therapy session, and I'm just going there talking, having and just having my own thing going on. My hobby, my therapy, my what I like to do, right, And it turned into what it is like as a young black man in America when I couldn't talk to nobody, or when I nobody wanted to hear what I was saying. And I go around my home boys and they understand how I feel. I get into So going to the studio made me like that was my hobby. I had a lot of built up anger. I had a lot of built up like I didn't know how to express it. And other people my age or with the hand that I was dealt that was similar to minds, they spread it, expressed it in different ways. Some people violently expressed it right, some people expressed it traumatically and couldn't get through it. And I just kind of expressed it through music, right, And it turned into what it is today and how successful it done became you know what I'm saying, Like, I was just trying to find a way to express what I was feeling on what I be feeling right and as a as a as a as a as an adolescent, I didn't know how to write, and I had a lot of built up anger and I just would express it and dangerous or ways that stuff put myself in stuff I probably couldn't get out of. So finding music was my way of escaping or expressing or letting it out because I don't want to like you, Like I said, nobody want to hear a man. Nobody want to hear that right, because that's just the rules, that's just how the world worked. So I found the way to express it right, and other people around the world felt it. So now my music whenever they feel how they feel, they don't got to express it bindingly or traumatically if they just listen to the music and they understand, like, it's okay for you to not understand why you feel how you feel. A lot of the world, it's okay, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, It's okay to not be okay.
Speaker 1: It's normal. This reality is ninety nine percent people are acting they faking like they that they perfect. Right, that don't you're not happy, or you don't love life, or you're not excited about today, or you don't love your family or your friends. Right, It's just reality. Though.
Speaker 2: You know, millions of people, as you just said, you know, say your music saved their lives, right, Who saves Broadway music?
Speaker 1: Music? Music? Music got me out of because you got to think about it. Not only did music help me express what I was feeling when all I knew was violence, right, and I found a different way to express it. It saved my life then, Right when I couldn't get nothing right. Right, when I couldn't get right, couldn't hustle and kept messing up the money, kept doing this and I was out in the world by myself, music came and saved me again. And it helped pay my bills. When I had kids and I was trying to figre out what I'm about to do, music helped feed them. Or my mama was tired of working and she was tired. Music helped retire. You see what I'm saying. So nobody, I mean, I love, I love my support system, like my family and my team, right, but music is a part of that my support system, Like it saved my life. You know what I'm saying, It changed my whole trajectory. On the path that I was at from seventeen to twenty seven, I probably would have just been coming home, you know what I'm saying, Like it changed my whole trajectory on what I was on, where I was going in life, and not just me, ten million young black, angry young men in the world was headed the same way, right, and music changed my whole trajectory. So whenever I you know what I'm saying, that's what even if you look at any other businesses that I'm starting, like my edge on it is what I did in music. My influence that I built doing music, audience, see what I'm saying. So like that's what I'm just thankful that I was able to find a hobby. And guess what My hobby probably was music. Some people hobby was basketball, football, film making. Like a great friend of mine, Ryan Cooler, you know what I'm saying, Like that's how people expressed. And I speak with people like Ryan and the Tip Bro the music and we have conversations that go deeper than the surface. You know, I have a conversations with people that people probably can't when they see me on the street, they talk to me. They probably never even told their wife how they feel what I help them through, you know what I'm saying, because they don't feel like they can.
Speaker 2: I told you you the ghetto psychia therapist bro, just real life. Who you're the go to guy?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: For so many people? And now you said music, But who does the go to person go to? You can't. You can't carry all this weight by yourself, man.
Speaker 1: I mean that's that's just that. Come with the territory, you know what I'm saying, Shit, Come with the territory, because if you really ask yourself, like, who can anybody go to? For real? It's not just me, Like I'm justm rod wave and everybody I fancy shit, But who can anybody go to? Like I really ask yourself that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there's there's there's only one you. Like, you can talk to other people who might have had similar experiences, but nobody has lived your life.
Speaker 1: Everything is casaby case, like who can you go to? Right? Because even when you go to somebody, they are problems of their own I don' want to hear that. It's not even a sad thing. It's not even about problems. It could be a happy I don't know how to explain it, but it's not. People try to make it be. It's just reality.
Speaker 2: The internet be acting like you just this sad depressed person.
Speaker 1: All A lot of that should be like proper ganda, Like if you really pay attention to it, like a lot that be a lot of campaign and pushing and angles and you know what I'm saying, a lot of it just be narratives. You know what I'm saying, the real what's going on in the reality? Come to a concert? Was going on in real life? Go and look at albums in seven platinum, I'm go and look at it six plant, Like, go look at reality you get on the internet. That's what I'm saying, Like you never know what's really behind that, what's controlling that. But if you just look at reality and what rod got going on?
Speaker 2: Is there a difference between being sad and uh and being depressed? Hell yeah, okay, what's the different?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: You can you could be like sad as a feeling, So sad and depressed is feelings and sad. Sad and depressed might be like sad feel like damn, like shiit sad is like to the point of that hurts my feelings or I feel a way about it, but I'm moving. Is depressed is more like defeated, like you just beat down. You know what I'm saying, Like do I look defeated? Nah? You know what I'm saying. I'm still going and I don't been through ship just like everybody else in the world. So depressed is like a word of like flat tied, can't go no more. I've been going. I've been going, and I've been going since I was fourteen. I've been I've been ready for the world. So I ain't depressed. I don't even like that word because I don't want to nothing get I don't even let nothing get to me for real, Like I don't even take nothing standing my way, Like I don't want to hear no nos what we can't do and how hard something is. I don't even like that's just always my attitude, like we can always get anything done, Like I don't. I don't even have a depressed attitude, right because even depressed even by me going in the studio and expressing my music and turn to turn what I'm going through to a positive that's not even a depressed action Like I'm I'm moving forward. I'm getting up, going to the studio and hobby and exercising my hobby and what I want to do in life. You know what I'm saying. So depressed is like depleted life black, can't go no more. It's sad. It's like that's how I feel. But sad happy can come ten minutes after side. The excitement can come ten minutes after sad, you know what I'm saying. Or sleepy it come five minutes before sad. So it's like I could be sad that it's raining and I wanted to drive and I just washed my car. I could be sad that fucking well. I could be happy. I could be sleepy. I could be funny. I can be depressed. Is like I can't do it no more. I don't want to wrap, I don't want to do nothing, can't take it no more, I don't want.
Speaker 2: To You know what I'm saying, You've never been there, I mean.
Speaker 1: Bro, I mean like in life, like I don't know. Yeah, i'd been there, right, but that's shit, not like every day the fact that I'm seeing with you, I had to get on a plane, get on the get it in. I had to cross the river and cross the lake to give so like that go to show you like that's not depressed. Like if that was the case, I would be up undertle rock, like don't even want to you know, push it no more. But this is my hobby. And if I were depressed, if depressed me depleted, can't take it am flat down to the ground. How the hell do we do six albums back to back to back to back to back to back.
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 1: Where was he depleted? Where did he get wet? Where did where did it get confused? With that?
Speaker 2: You know? One of your fellow floor to boys, one man Little Duvall, he said, you're not depressed, you just need some money.
Speaker 1: That I said real as real, because you like, if you go back through what I'm saying, like what the press really mean, Like if you got money, maybe you know what I'm saying, like, maybe you'll have more motivation, Like it gives you like that anything is possible, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Have you ever worried that, uh, that that healing might change the music like that people fell in love with a version of you? That that was I guess hurting.
Speaker 1: I do, but I used to think about that, right, But at some point it's like, these people been with me since I was nineteen twenty seven now, so these saying people right should be we together to together, should be healing. It shouldn't just be stuck. Now, that's the press. It's stuck. You can't get pad, you can't move through it. Right, So healing, right, is what we all should be working towards. Whether it's tonight, today, tomorrow, next week, next year, ten years from now, we all should be taking steps forward to healing whatever hurt us, because holding on to that shit is not that's not healthy. That's the press. That's when you're not trying to find ways to move forward in life. But the music, you know what I'm saying, it's gonna grow, because we're all growing. If I was nineteen then when you first listened to me, I'm twenty seven now, right, how many years is that? It's like eight years?
Speaker 2: Did a lot in the years, bro?
Speaker 1: Thank god? Well?
Speaker 2: And you know when I listened to the new album Don't Look Down, I do hear I hear a lot of happiness, but also hear a lot of grief as well, right, I feel like I hear a lot of heartbreak. Like when you perform songs that come from some of your darkest moments, does it help you here or does it make you just relive those emotions?
Speaker 1: I mean, even recording the song, it's like a form of like vent and getting it out your system. Like I could have been the song that I made, could have been an hour of my life, and I took this whatever I was going through in that hour, and then two days later I might have didn't even feel that way, right, But it's a great song, like we got something great from it. So even recording it made me feel better about the situation. Right. Getting on stage, of course might be a year later from the time I recorded it to then, so maybe I've already felt better. Maybe I'm in a whole nother space about what happened to me or whatever I feel or whatever I was going through, whether it's small, big, whatever the case may be. Regardless, Bro, I'm a soldier. I'm moving forward. I'm going forward. Ain't nothing stopping me. I ain't No, I'm not letting up for nobody. Now, Does that mean I'm way rapping? That's a whole nother conversation, but just in life. You know what I'm saying. I'm always working forward the healing, trying to grow, move forward, build businesses. But I feel like this chapter in my life and I found so much happiness with all the other things that I'm building, you know what I'm saying, Like I feel excited, wake up and go to the office and sit with the team, and surround myself with people who think like minded people, you know what I'm saying, People who want to grow, people who love creating and art.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, what's this chapter? What's this chapter of your life?
Speaker 1: Club?
Speaker 2: Don't look down, don't look down? What is this chapter mean? Because I hear you keep referencing this chapter and I know you know you got father going on the business side, going on, like what is it? What is it represented?
Speaker 1: Just going from like art artists to mogul you know what I'm saying, Just like I feel like at something like we all gotta grow, right, So by me just being on the stage and being the artist, being the talent or whatever, I feel like I wouldn't say I was in the words position, but maybe like I was like a pawn at the time. You know what I'm saying, So like being but I'm still in the game, right, So this child is like going from artists to mogil because like, I learned so much and I have seen how things operate, and I seen how think go, I got my money right, how I got my mind right. So it's like this chapter was like going from artists to mogul because you know, like at some point you gotta like, you know, let the kids have it. You know what I'm saying. I let the kids have it, like let me. You know what I'm saying, I'm always do this because it's my hobby, right, I can. I can make a hundred songs and nobody ever heard them or whatever, because it just gotta like to do it.
Speaker 2: What you mean, the kids, But you're twenty seven, like you a.
Speaker 1: Bab you know what I'm saying, I'm not something right now. Oh I don't want to be to that point where I'm not a fucking kid no more. You know what I'm saying. It's like, bro, like I should be getting behind the youth and because they the future, at some point in my life, I should be up in the youth and teaching them what I learned or helping them so they don't have to bump their head and go through an eight year roller coaster. You know what I'm saying, it should be an eight month roller coaster. That's how it should go, right, right, Like we should be teaching the youth or getting behind the youth. That's how that go. Even though now I'm twenty seven, Right, it's somebody who's seventeen, right, who probably might be better than me, you know what I'm saying, Quicker than me, faster than me, whatever the case may be, and I should be I should make an effort into being a part of that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well, what's something you think you've healed from that? Your fans probably don't even realize.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of a lot of things that I helped from, maybe like like childhood drama. Like I feel like when I was younger, I was so dramatic, you know what I'm saying, Like I felt like the world owed me something. I felt like all mad at these people, these people what they did to mean, how can they do that? I mean? I feel like as time as time went on, I got to help so much, Like about like my childhood or my earlier younger days, like nobody was out to get you, bro like his life. Everybody got their own problems. Everybody got their own life. And maybe because the music, like it's timeless, so people go back and revisit and they think, like, that's still how I feel about certain situations. But I healed from so many things like family relationships and stuff like that because I was young, right, you know, you seventeen sixteen, and you just you don't get it, you don't understand it, and you think everything's personal. You take everything personal, right, and they you get older and you have your own kids, and you have your own life, and you become an adult and it's just like, oh, I see, and you know what I'm saying, And you give certain people breaks like damn, you look at it a whole other way, and and that help you heal right, growth, just growing and having your own kids and family and businesses, and and you stop taking shit so personal. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's why I love talking to brothers like you, because when I was twenty seven, I didn't have that level of emotional intelligence. All I was still taking things first. That's twenty seven years old. And then the thing you're gonna realize is you get older, Like as you get older, everything is just about healing that inner child exactly, that that still exists with you. You that eight year old, that nine yearld that tenure, whatever trauma you was dealing with back then. I promise you gonna be in your thirties forties still trying to help that little boy.
Speaker 1: Oh God, but it's so crazy because but now I look at it and I remember myself like from a child to a grown man, right, and it's just like, what about the people who made us feel the way they was once children and they once they didn't have it figured out, and they once it was dramatic, and they once start the world wild around them. Maybe you know what I'm saying. And so now once you look back at it and you look at it from that angle, it's like, damn. Some of my parents is like kids who there was once kids and they just growed up and they didn't have a rule book up booker, and then their parents it was just revolving cycle. So when I once I turn around and I look at the world and from that angle, it is like, damn, Like maybe I was a little too hard or maybe I was a little dramatic or maybe I did.
Speaker 2: Did you ever have those conversations with your people, because that's one of the I tell you, that's the hard that's the hard thing knowing that your parents had a life before they was your parents and learning about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially especially when they feel that like they feel some sort of type of like guilt, like damn, I wish all you know what I'm saying, And then like now you gotta like try to make them understand that you understanding now right because they might have remembered when you was dramatic about it and they and they think you still feel that way about it, and it's like how do you tell them like it's okay, I understand.
Speaker 2: That's what they look at me, mama, record is you feel me?
Speaker 1: It's crazy yea.
Speaker 2: So the conversations you can't have to them yet you just you put it into music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever I think Wayne said that was like kind of hearts and to your face. So I do it little snails and face ship like that because like the music is like like vent like then you know what the music is. Like. How they express yourself is how I express myself. You know. But that's why I feel like this album is like so mature, because it used to be I don't want no more love. I feel it's poison. And then it turned into can I have a piece? Sir?
Speaker 2: I'll be fun, you know, and I'm alone.
Speaker 1: Tonight, but I'm okay, you feel me, I'm okay. Though it used to be how can I? How can I live? How can I?
Speaker 2: I don't want to be alone?
Speaker 1: And it turned into okay, if you getting lost tonight, you're fine your way? Well you do? You know what I'm saying. It's like you're older. It's like I'm like, you know, unless dramatic. It's like, I understand. I don't take shit so personal. I don't look at it to look at the world different.
Speaker 2: But she's still human, you know what I mean? So human long for connection right as you get older, like it's growth.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Do you ever feel guilty for making it out when people you loved it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I mean because like this sho didn't fall out of this guy you work for it, work so hard for this ship. Man. Nah. No, I feel I feel bad because I feel like I was so blessed to the point where like skated so many times, you know, and I got partners who didn't get second chances, who didn't get you know what I'm saying, older, older people to wrap their arms around him and teach him and guide them. But you know, I took the hand. I was there, and I played it, and I'm still playing it. You know, I feel sad for like a lot of my friends and peers who couldn't make it to him. But that's why I always like shout that out, like I made it where people couldn't, Like I'm a bottom bust surviv like I know niggas couldn't even make it past the first level. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You reference, you reference flip a lot on this project quite a few times, Like what did he mean to you?
Speaker 1: Flip flip? That's uh, that's like Uncle d Ulter Ego man, so like the last little child in his life, he flipped. He was total opposite, Like he was always like hiding cameras and bore the same thing he had ever, you know what I'm saying, never spent no money, never he was quiet, like the last last fucking chapter of his life. He kind of flipped like to the total opposite. But he talked. He taught me a lot though. Man, he meant a lot to me. He he helped mold this version of me today, like you know what I'm saying, And as a from that, you know, from as chapter changes, I'm different and I'm still growing, right, But I couldn't have got to this point without you know what I'm saying, that bridge that he built for us. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It was like he was like a mentor.
Speaker 1: Most definitely, most definitely.
Speaker 2: How important is mentorship?
Speaker 1: Mentorship is important because if a lot of things that not not having a mentor could like slow the process down, you know what I'm saying. So actually having somebody in your ear or your corner that you actually believe trust and that you know you can trust, you know they got your best interest, that you know they know what they talking about. It have been there before, right because a lot of us got goals and ship that were going towards and it might take you longer, or it might you might go further and I might get there faster. But a mentor can kind of like help you with out pumping your head. Like we tell you, bro, I went down at alley, I got full flat tied. Don't go down there. I'm not gonna go down there. You see what I'm saying. Saved me time, saved me money. I went around, I got He didn't give me the gas money, right, he didn't boy the comf for me, but he helped me. He told me, Bro, you go down that alley, you're gonna get full flat times and it's gonna show you down about four five hours. If you go around right, you're gonna get further, and you're gonna with daylight before it getting dark, You're gonna get way further if you don't go down to the alley. So mentorship ship is important, and that's why I said I want to be when I get to a point in my life, I want to be a part of the youth and the culture and helping them because like for example, Bro, at the Kanye concert. You know what I'm saying, My tour company built the soul Fly Stadium, right, and we had the highest grossing hip hop show a concert ever. You see what I'm saying. But the fact that I was able to learn that right, and it was people around me at the time before I became you know what I'm saying. The person I am today, or before I built soul flyop, I mean before I built Mainstay Torn, right, it was people who should have been mentoring me and helping me and helping me get on this level or rowing with me, right, But they were trying to run the game on me. You see what I'm saying, and that kind of just But we could have built We could have built this and did this together. We could have been doing this right. So where I'm at today with the Kanye concert and everything, imagine where we would have been, right if we would have started this process. Then when if the first step would have been mentorship and helping me and teaching me instead of trying to run the game on me. Right, So now once you run the game on me three times, now I learn it. Now you just wasted two years. You see what I'm saying. I got to go over here and now I'm at this point. Well, okay, I know how to build relationships, going to a leverage relationships, but the building can't. Nobody in America, God damn get coated back. You feel what I'm saying. At the soul Fly Stadium, soul if I Stadium. So it's like learning how to leverage relationship, learning how to do this by going through whatever I went through. You see what I'm saying. But that's why it's important, because now I could take what I know, I could pass it down, so now I can save you two years. I could save three years because I did it. I already did it. And I feel like it's my debt to the culture. It's my debt to society because what I'm I mean, I couldn't even see the world in it like right. I feel like that could make all the difference in the world because at some point I wasn't the most famous in my city, my state, my nothing. I was right there in the room and I was in last place. Right. Some of these, some of these right trophies was because of whoever could last the longest, right, whoever can make it to the last round. Right. And there's a lot of people who was better, quicker, faster, you know what I'm saying, biggest support. But it's structure and ship like that mentor.
Speaker 2: When said it's a marathon, real I want. I want to stay on the Kanye thing for a second because somebody's view. I was talking to Enview this morning because I told him I was gonna be sitting with you, and he was like, yo, you know he he's one of the promoters for the Kanye Show. And I said, oh, Rod out here moving different. I'm like, because you are you selling out your own should promoting shows for other artists?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's what That's what gave me the That's what gave me not only the leverage, but that's what gave me the the knowledge, right because I had to I had to tear my touring business down right and rebuild it right. And then I learned about touring. I was in room, I was meeting people in leveraging relationships. So now I was learning right. So now I got the confidence and I know, I know what I'm doing. We do this. We can do this for anybody smaller up big here. Right, it's a simple equation, right, one plus one plus one, it's three. So it was a simple break down and that's what gave me the confidence to do it. So learning from road Waves touring business made me ready for the world. Now I feel like I can throw a tour for the biggest artists in the world, right, because just because I can't do it, I mean I can't get it done. You see what I'm saying. And that's where the whole Kanye thing came from. And I just felt like, I want to test this theory because you had these you had these moments in your head where like, I try to be so humble to the point where I like I might have to question myself. So if I started getting too arrogant, I'm like, well, I got this ship down pack. I'm like, but do I really like it's people around me really just don't want to tell me. Like, I got to test this theory. And that's what the whole Kanye thing was about. Like, I feel like I got this ship down to a science and it's but maybe it's only freaking for me because I'm the wrong way. But what if I try nothing to do with me nothing and I just test this theory? Right? And that's what the Kanye thing was about. Right. I leveraged my relationship and I booked the venue right, and then I then then I found the talent right, and we show structure to influences and the finances and it worked.
Speaker 2: Why Kanye, I mean, I mean that's not why Kanye, because it's Kanye. But you know that could be risky.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and it wasn't nothing because I didn't bro I'm such a Kanye fan and I'm such so out of tune. I didn't even understand right the details, but the out the the equation was find a building right and do the marketing right, and then find the artist that has a cult life fan base like people who like like love you like even if you make mistakes right, you know, they understand you're not perfectly understand where you add in life mentally right or whatever you're going through physically emotionally right. But that was the equation, right, find the building, put the team together, and now we need talent that has a colt life following, that has a fan base that just loves you. Thinking through right. And that's why Kanye, because it was like my equation was, okay, it's just working for rod Wave. But I got a different kind of fan and that was people always people to excuse on why it was different. Oh, he got different kind of fans, right, So I was like, I want to try this and I take myself out the equation, but put something similar but bigger, right, try to put you know, we came up with Ya and it's crazy because he was the first idea, Like it wasn't even like we thought about it and we came up with nothing Like. It was like he was the first person that I thought of, and that's what we did. And I appreciate him and I wish him the most luck. You know what I'm saying. It was it was successful. It was the biggest selling hip hop concert in history.
Speaker 2: So he came to you, you came in, I went and got it right. See that's dope too, though, man, because it would take a black promoter to do that, because nobody else was going to give him a shot at a time.
Speaker 1: After Yeah, I feel like a lot of people just don't understand business, whether they fourteen or they forty or fifty, like because our mentors have to tell us and explain instead of trying to run the game. Like somebody got to be teaching us, what how does business work? You see what I'm saying. And maybe if people like you know, maybe people would understand. And that's why I wanted to kind of like for myself, like I felt like people wasn't really trying to help me. They was trying to run the game on me, you know what I'm saying. And that's what this whole Mainstay thing is about even my sport agency. Like you know, I want to help the kid. I want to help the youth, and so we're going after the youth. You know what I'm saying. My film company, I want to get the youth involved, the young writers and directors, and you know what I'm saying, cast the mainstay distribution and publishing. I want to sign the kids and actually help them build a fan base and build a touring a touring business. You know what I'm saying. I want to actually take what I know. You know what I'm saying in my edge in the game and build build something. But help the youth, help mentor help no matter no matter what you know, because no matter how old you is, how young you is, knowledge is power. You know what I'm saying. You got all the money in the world, you can have whatever, but knowledge is power. Like if you got a hundred million and I got a hundred million worth of game. You know what I'm saying, My hundred men worth a game might just hit that hundred mean about you, you see what I'm saying that, So your granddaddy could have gave you a hundred living right, but I got the game. In my head, he didn't give you the game. He just handed you down some money.
Speaker 2: And that game can flip that a hundred million, right, a couple of hundred million.
Speaker 1: Right, you see what I'm saying. So you got to come to me because I got the key, so I ain't get the money. I didn't get the I didn't get into the family of whatever the case may be. But you don't know nothing with the money. So you got to come here, right, And that's just how the world work, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot I want to talk about with that because mays stay, right, that's one of my favorite songs on the album. Why is that a thing? Why is it meanstay? Because that's your entertainment company now as well? Why is that word.
Speaker 1: Man it's a mainstay? Because I felt like it's symbolized like it's so many like people that be just like coming up in the round game. I feel like it's so many people that was just in the way what I'm saying, I just wasn't really trying to help or just trying to like stick their fans and people. And I feel like Mainstay was like or like whatever, whatever we can do whatever you're comfortable with, you know what I'm saying. And I feel like once you find a home like that, like you don't got to look nowhere else. And once you find a partner, no matter what you do, whether we're a sport agent, right, whether we distribute your music, you know what I'm saying, whether we distribute your content, whether we help manage you, whatever the case may be, I want to make it so suitable for you that you feel so at home. And this your findal this your mainstreak is where you This, where you laying at right, this where you like. You know what I'm saying, You're so comfortable. So that's that's that was, and that's the whole right angle for the whole company. Like I want to help, I want to you know what I'm saying, because I still got so I don't gotta make you, know what I'm saying, I don't got to make all the money. I don't got to teach you out of nothing, like you gonna know the deal from A to Z. You know what I'm saying. You, I don't want nobody gonna be feeling no kind of way because I mean, you're gonna learn everything and guess what, you can leave it anytime.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying about the toy. There was a time where you was on tour and you had Ari Lennox over and up. I think Ari is phenomenal, She's dope, but your crowd wasn't feeling all right?
Speaker 1: Do you do?
Speaker 2: Would you change that? In hindsight? Would you have made a different decision?
Speaker 1: I mean not really, because I felt like Ari it was dope. You know what I'm saying, Like you can't you can't control. It's some things I just don't got control over. You know what I'm saying already, So dope, you know what I'm saying. I thought she was just such a dope artist. I think she's such a dope artist. So I was happy that I got to work with her, you know what I'm saying. But it's demographics, you know what I'm saying. Like I just wanted to work with her, you know what I'm saying. And I was excited about working with her, right, And maybe you know what I'm saying, maybe if you got if you gotta understand how demographics were, Like I got my demographic, you got your demographic, right, we got different crowds. You know what I'm saying. Like I wasn't thinking about that at the time, right, But maybe that was like a management call or something like, you know what I'm saying, that she you know what I'm saying, But I was excited to work with. I'm glad I worked with. I want to work with again. Say I had a good experience, and I wish her experience would have been better, you know what I'm saying. And yeah, whatever, I don't, I don't, I don't. I don't regret that though.
Speaker 2: Did that make you realize your your taste maybe different than your fans?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean everybody tastes different, man, everybody tastes different. Because you got to think about that a rod way. You show like it's older people, it's you know what I'm saying, mid aged people is kids, is you know what I'm saying. And like we talked about as a kid, you don't you look at the world different, right, So maybe like some of these kids, it is too it's it's too shuffle, like it's all kinds of demographics in here, right, So it's hard to kind of like target your demographic in a group full of six demographs. You know what I'm saying, like six different types of people from no matter what color, different ages, different shape, different however, different attitudes, different backgrounds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, how as you know because because you mentioned Flip, but you're also missing you know your aunt on the album. You know, how have those losses changed the way you move through life today? I thought you said your aunt somebody on this album probably my fault Flip the same part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that last the last part of his life, like he flipped like another person.
Speaker 2: But the people they say grief comes in waves, right, have you found that to be true or does it show up?
Speaker 1: That's crazy? Like, but I feel like when I first when it first happened, when I first when he first passed, like I was so in shock. I was like I was in shot, Like I couldn't even like I can't wrap my head, Like it felt like a dream. Right, so they like a year later to me, like a year later, a couple of months later, like I find myself like damn, it is realized real life. They definitely come my waves.
Speaker 2: So man, as losing people change the way you change the way you approach your relationships with the people who are still here, Like do you love differently.
Speaker 1: Nothing, Yeah, bro, because like I want to like I want to have more fun, Like I want to be more positive, I want to be more into now you know what I'm saying, I don't want to be like you know what I'm saying, Tomorrow really not promised. I'm saying, could we get so comfortable, Like we get so comfortable in life? Right? We get so comfortable in our plans and not knowing any day any moment, like in the same way. So that really changed a lot though, like the way I look at like try to just make everything right.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, Yeah, we act like we got one one more day, when really we got one less day. Does does your own grief give you a deeper understanding of what your your fans feel when they press play on your music? Because a lot of your a lot of your fans lean on your music through some of their hardest moments.
Speaker 1: Right right. And I feel like, you know, people relate to the people relate to this stuff different, Like it's all different, like like it's the same like's it's hitting the same nerve, but it's all a case by case you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Do do you ever worry that fans only want like the broken version of the Broadway.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do, but like I used to worry about that, right, But it's like I want to be I want to be a part of the I want to be a part of the growth, Like I want to be a part of the healing process. So it's like I wouldn't be doing the justice like staying, you know, I should be walking by setting an example, right, I should be like trying to you know what I'm saying, help you know what I'm saying, heal or help you know what I'm saying, grow, you know what I'm saying. So even if they feel that way, it's like that that that that that shouldn't dictate like the the reality or the pure pureness of what I'm feeling or what I'm saying out my mouth, Like I can't like, you know what I'm saying, aim it or because then they won't be real, right, and then they probably won't even hit the same you know what I'm saying. I can't fake a emotion. I can't faker I feeling, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you say that because a lot of artists, you know, they wonder whether healing will will change the connection with their audience.
Speaker 1: Ye are other artists who just see, like see that it's working for some people, and they try to like do that. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Have you ever gone to therapy or anything? Just great music, great meal. Man, No, I hate the new album and sometimes, man, it sounds like betrayal from people affected you more than like poverty ever did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh god, yeah, don't got because it's like poverty was, like poverty was like I don't, I don't mean use that word. It's life, bro. This is how we like when we think it's normal. It's you don't look at it like poverty. It's normal real like it know you, it's normal, Like I didn't know that my mama, Like my mom worked our ass off. So like my whole family, that's all they did. They all hustled, like from my my now not to my grandma, to my mom and my dad, my cousin, my uncles, they all get up and hustle. So I never even looked at it that way until I got to I mat today and I'm like, damn, that's how you do that. That's the different way you're doing shit. You know what I'm saying. But betrayal was like betrail is deeper because poverty and I'm not speaking to myself, but this poverty is something like you're born into, Like you know, people try every day to change that. Betrayal is like a decision, like a like a you know, it's kind of like an action. It's like a damn, like all this over this, all that. Damn. It just hit different. You know, I never thought I'm like that, I can't blame nobody. You can't blame nobody for poverty, right because that's like like what about who they blame it? But betrayal, like you chose that, like you did that, like that was your move. You you chose that move, but it didn't choose poverty, you know, like you chose betrayal. Like it's so it hit different.
Speaker 2: You ever thought about that with so man, your people they waited to betray you when you got up, when y'all was poor, it probably was all good your father was in the hood. Yeah, your thought like why you wait till now to betray Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean some people gotta they gotta have a motor or they gotta have something to betrayal fold like but once you see that like they would betray you, portray you, right, and you realize that even in the beginning the relationship, like the friendship or the partnership or the relationship, it wasn't healthy because like you would have like you would have did this not now like you would have did it back then. Right, And maybe it was never healthy to be in a partner ship or friendship or et cetera.
Speaker 2: Right, that doesn't make you close yourself off to people, though.
Speaker 1: I mean not really bro Because as much as I complain about portrayal, like I can meet somebody in the hallway and ninety days from now here you be working for the company and they be gonna move to Georgia. It just be like that. So I let people hate, let people hanging themselves. Man, I try to like give people the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 2: How does it feel for rod Wave to open himself up the actual love?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: They're just really getting love from somebody or people in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel good. I love love, right, I love love like, I love being being, I love love. I feel feel good.
Speaker 2: But what is love thought to you about yourself?
Speaker 1: That that you gotta you gotta love yourself like but you even understand what love is. You have to love yourself because you might be looking at something as love, but you can't really recognize it because you never saw it before. So you got these things in your head that you think is love. But if you love yourself, then you will be able to recognize it. You know, I'm saying clear as day, That's what I learned about love, Like it's start within, you know, and you gotta love yourself, right, and whoever you're looking for, whoever trying to love you, they gotta love theirself. We gotta love you, gotta be mutual, and you gotta be with them, right.
Speaker 2: That has becoming the father changed the way you think about your own childhood?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Yeah for sure. I Like I said, like when I was young, I was so dramatic, but when I have my own kids, like understood my parents and shit, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: What's something you making sure your children never got to heal from.
Speaker 1: Just like like going without like I can't, I can't. I can only brace them for the world like the world is the world and their life gonna be their life, right, But just I never want them to be able to like I have to lean on nobody or like I have to lose theyself for like money off finances and stuff like I want them to be able to live they free life and do what they what they admire to do and not what the world I want them to do because of finance. So I never want I never want them to go through that. But besides, like life though, like they got to just go through it.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying that two more questions. Do you ever ask God?
Speaker 1: Why me?
Speaker 2: Not just for the blessings before the responsibility that comes with who you are?
Speaker 1: Oh no, I mean alright, I understand, Like man, God got a close relationship. Since I was young, I always talked about this always. It's like this made me, This made like how far came in life, made my faith so strong. So I gotta I got a real understanding on why me? You know what I'm saying, And I I accept, I accept every responsibility that come with it. Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: What does a peace look like for Rod wave.
Speaker 1: Piece look like Matt, Me and Georgia. You know what I'm saying. I'm in my big king bed, Me and I ran the big castle. Cleaning lady just cleaned the house up real good ac on sixty five. You know what I'm saying. We got a we got a nice little Apple TV show on. I mean, baby, just kick watch TV laughing. That's when I be at real peace, man, I'll be real happy. Then in the morning, I got a good motherfucking good day ahead of me, man, good meetings at the office, good productive conversations. Whenever I'm in that space, like whenever I'm like whenever I go home and I'm just in that world, like the space that I've been in lately. Bro, It's like it's so peaceful and happy, bro, Like just going home and watching TV, simple shit, waking up, going to the office and being productive with my time and building building my business. Like I'm just at peace with life, like I feel like i I'm here now, like like I'm happy, Like I don't feel like I'm running from nothing. I'm running for something, Like I feel at peace and just taking my time and building what I'm building, building my team, building my company, building my relationship. I just I feel so happy, bro, I ain't gonna I feel so peaceful life any space and life that I'm man, And that's what that's what this is what that's what it looked like for me though, it's at home freshot child, with the house that got cleaned up. You already be watching a good TV show. Good good day in the office, good day ahead of me tomorrow. That's that's when i'm man. Man, that's what I'm like, my most piece.
Speaker 2: Dam I'm happy for you, Rod. You represent us well. Man, don't look down, brother.
Speaker 1: Yes sir?
Speaker 2: How long was it an hour?
Speaker 1: What we got? An hour?
Speaker 2: Seven minutes out of wrong way. That's we got hold seven out of the wrong way. That's what's up. I appreciate you mane yes, sir, absolutely, Man, no number bro.
Speaker 1: So we want to I want to trumpet about you know what I'm saying, some show and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of ship in the in the can. I met that ship. What I told you to, Man, you're not a goofy like so you moved the right way like that. All of these young people can learn from how you out here moving. Sure you ain't horring yourself out on social media, you know, like you let it be about some music. That's that's that's that says a lot
Speaker 1: M