Speaker 1: This podcast. Can we start the episode now.
Speaker 2: In the last one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Randall, we've been rolling for five minutes.
Speaker 1: In that case, Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Randall Williams. Today we're joined by Spencer, Yiannis, Brody, cal Tresa, Alyssa and Hansey. This is a ten round quiz show with question I thought we were doing a new.
Speaker 3: Fingers slipped on the light control here continue.
Speaker 4: Gotta put that epilepsy warning on the top of it.
Speaker 1: This is a ten round quiz show with questions for meat eaters four verticals which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking. There is a prize. Meat eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing. Now for the stat of the week. This week, we're looking at player performance from previous episodes I've hosted. The average player score in those rounds was a four point eight, with the average winning score being an eight. That means Randall hosted episodes are slightly easier than Yannis hosted episodes. That's right, which is good because Janni's first two episodes were incredibly difficult, to the point that they weren't very fun to play.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, and no cooking questions.
Speaker 1: I just feel like the way this is written, Spencer, the way you wrote this made it sound like my episodes are bad.
Speaker 5: No, no, I.
Speaker 1: Think it should say that means randall hosted episodes are just right.
Speaker 5: Okay, there you go, They're just right.
Speaker 3: Goldiete.
Speaker 6: Yeah, are you gonna have all four verticals this time? Because Jannis barely.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm going to introduce a new vertical today.
Speaker 5: Actually, okay, good.
Speaker 1: Now for the I FAQ here's our Infrequently Asked Question segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the Meat Eater dot com with the subject line I FAQ. This one comes from Spencer Newhart says, what does it mean to be a randomal Now?
Speaker 5: Yanni thinks I'm always planning these questions, but here planting a question. Yanna, So what is a randomal Well?
Speaker 1: I asked Phil to contemplate this. I was going to reach out to the community. We're all in touch on Instagram. Uh, Phil, did you do you have an answer for us?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Sure, this is this is the first thing I wrote up here, I said, a randomal is an alpha who lives life not for the destination or the journey, for the complete but for the competition and hot dogs you crush along the way. Is also keen enough to distinguish that from the journey.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 1: I wrote a few notes. I said, they don't take themselves too seriously, but they don't like funny business when it comes to trivia. But I said, randamals likes spelling things correctly. It's another point of emphasis for us. But I think they come from all walks of life. I think regionally speaking, most of them live within one hundred to one hundred and fifty miles of the Ohio River. Yeah, just people who like case meat, professional basketball. There are a lot of a lot of folks up out there who like guns, like weird information about guns.
Speaker 5: So now we know there were people previously who didn't consider themselves randomals. Now that they just heard themselves described, it's.
Speaker 1: A growing moment. It's a real tribe. Yeah, we've had I've actually be.
Speaker 7: Honest, do you have something well so happy that you say, but you reminded me that randomals love case meat? You remember last week I mentioned that I hung out with Eli Cairo from Olympia Provisions. He sent me a box of meat. There's a lot of case meat in it. They make a product called that. I don't know if I'm gonna pronounce this properly, Hans he might be to be able to help me. But it's uh cossack kriner like k A with the umlau s e k r a I n e r. It's basically this lovely like very multified frankfurter thing. But it has Swiss cheese dotted in it. Not some high temp bullshit, the real deal. I'm telling you, set you free, buddy. I'm going to bring you a package. Yeah, let's do that.
Speaker 5: Why is Hansei a subject matter expert on that?
Speaker 7: Just pronunciation.
Speaker 1: O German derschermier Desmyer. Sorry, everyone loves to put the the rx R in there. That's okay, Alan, probably did you dirty?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will note that. Actually random's I found Alan Dershowitz. That's the only Sorry, that's the stuff that rand look for right there.
Speaker 4: But it's actually a real flavor.
Speaker 1: It's it's a real thing. Random is a term I found out that refers to it's a It's an abbreviation of random animal and when people are messing around with AI to generate strange creatures. Apparently, randomal is a term that they used to describe, like they'll tell AI to make up like a tiger with scale.
Speaker 6: I thought it was just a category of people you came up with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of started getting that the more he's like you it's a real thing, because I keep saying that.
Speaker 3: Over id an escape room this weekend and AI generated randomles were a part of the escape room.
Speaker 1: Really, WHOA Did you know that they were randomals at the time.
Speaker 3: No, I just learned this right now.
Speaker 1: I learned that this morning.
Speaker 3: Did you escape, Phill We escaped?
Speaker 4: Yes, I bet you escape room.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've got a one thousand average batting average on escape rooms.
Speaker 5: Are you like a team leader when that's happening.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's it's a competition between me and my wife Adrian about who's the leader.
Speaker 4: I just that you guys, you were taking the kids to an escape.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we shoved them aside and did it just panic.
Speaker 1: Inn escape rooms? I don't like it now for some housekeeping.
Speaker 5: That's the difference between a randomal and a philistine.
Speaker 1: This one is for the Randamals out there now for some housekeeping. On episode six fifteen, I asked a question about the fastest commercially produced rifle cartridge in the world, the two twenty Swift. It was a tiebreaker question. In the flavor text, I said the following a prototype quote. A prototype was developed in nineteen thirty four by a man named Grosvenora Watkins, who necked down the twenty five three thousand Savage. Many many people have written in to claim that I'm wrong in this assertion, instead claiming that the two twenty Swift is based on the six millimeter Lee Navy, and in fact, I'd like to let you know that both of us are correct. The version that was produced by Winchester for the commercial market was based on the six milimeter Lee Navy. And this comes from an article published by Paul Box on Accurate shooter dot com, which is a tremendous website. The carts were introduced by Winchester in nineteen thirty five for their Model fit fifty four rifle. A year later, it was added as a standard cartridge in the Model seventy. And here's where it gets interesting. What might not be common knowledge to some reloaders is that the prototype for the Swift was developed in nineteen thirty four to thirty five by Gross Venora Watkins by necking down the two fifty Savage case, but in the end Winchester chose the six milimeter Lee Navy. So I actually had more information about the development of this cartridge included in my flavor text, but I rushed through my reading after a particularly contentious game of trivia. Yeah, if you'll recall, Steve and cow were particularly upset about the confusing title of the film Lake Placid, so I rushed through what I had prepared just to end that episode.
Speaker 4: Good recall.
Speaker 1: So for you careful listening cartridge offiicionados out there, I apologize for my hasty summary.
Speaker 5: I like those people.
Speaker 1: No, they're gonna get you. Oh, they will get you.
Speaker 5: I like some housekeeping that's like six months old like that. Yeah, yeah, good throwback. I mean we're still getting emails about it. That's right now.
Speaker 1: The Sydney Index for today's episode is a three, meaning that our winner should get six correct answers. But I think we can do better than that. Gang, And now we're on to our game of trivia, Phil please play the drop.
Speaker 5: Please note that people write in with that that I don't say.
Speaker 3: Please shout, I try filling throats.
Speaker 1: Question one. This is our multiple choice question in the category of public lands. What river is the only major river system entirely contained within the state of Nevada and shares its name with the largest national forest outside of Alaska. Your options are A Elco be Humboldt, see Reno four, winn Amucca, and I'll read this once again for those out there playing it along. What river is the only major river system entirely contained within the state of Nevada and shares its name with the largest national forest outside of Alaska? We have an answer from Brody Let's folks still chew it on this one. You honest is writing something, cal Cal's contemplating Spencer's writing. Guys want to Guy's got any thoughts, any chit chat about this quest? Question?
Speaker 5: I don't know it, but I like this one.
Speaker 4: I think I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, Hanse, I thought you hadn't written something, but you have a double yeah. I've never realized how confusing that might be for a host.
Speaker 5: Lived in Nevada for a minute, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I worked in Nevada, but I lived in Trucky.
Speaker 6: So this this river starts and terminates in the state of Nevada river system.
Speaker 1: Yes, well it Brodie's correct. If you'll recall Nevada is part of the Great Basin.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: It's interesting that you can give us a tip within the question and it's still not a gimme.
Speaker 1: I liked this question, I do.
Speaker 2: I do say it was.
Speaker 1: It was a last minute. It was a last minute. I actually I was fact checking one of my questions earlier, and I thought it was too tricky to make a hard determination one way or the other. So I came up with this one and then decided it was too hard, made it multiple choice, and removed a clue as to a number of letters in the answer. And I didn't screw that up like I did when my first question was gallery for you.
Speaker 2: Did you follow that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just quite paying.
Speaker 6: That's what I meant.
Speaker 1: Oh, sourpus cat, it was pretty pleasant.
Speaker 4: I was still happy.
Speaker 1: Do we all have answers? Why don't we flip them over? Gang Yannas says Humboldt, cal says Alco, Alyssa says Alco. Trissa says Humboldt. Spencer says Winnemucca. Hondi says Humboldt. Brody says Humboldt. We have a handful of correct answers in the room. It's the Humboldt River. The Humboldt River originates in the Ruby Mountains of northeastern Nevada and flows westward for approximately three hundred miles before ending in the Humboldt Sink. It was an important water source for emigrants traveling in the California Trail during the nineteenth century. This river shares its name with the Humboldt Taiabi National Forest, which spans over six million acres across Nevada in eastern California. Both the river and the forest were named after Alexander von Humboldt, a Prussian nationalist and explorer who also has named after him a squid, a penguin, a glacier, a peak, and an ocean current. That is a hell of a collection. Yeah, across the gambit there's a wonderful book called The Humboldt Current, and it's a history of Alexander von Humboldt's life and his influence on natural thinking.
Speaker 5: Huh good for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, jealous, I learned something good, Randalls.
Speaker 7: You've already crushed my host thing from the last episode.
Speaker 4: One question is just very different styles.
Speaker 1: You haven't heard question two.
Speaker 4: I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Question two comes to us in the category of cooking. What dish created by an American physician to combat malnutrition during the Civil War consists of ground beef mixed with seasonings, formed into a patty and is typically served with gravy. I'll read that once again. We're looking for a dish that was created by an American physician to combat malnutrition during the Civil War, and it consists of ground beef mixed with seasonings, formed into a patty and is typically served with gravy.
Speaker 4: Oh listen, I literally just watched in real time inspiration strike.
Speaker 1: You ever you ever make one of these?
Speaker 4: Cow based off of that? Yes, some version of that.
Speaker 1: Do you know the answer?
Speaker 5: I have an answer Now that you said one of these, though, that changes my answer.
Speaker 1: I think, well, have you ever made this?
Speaker 5: Right, but you wouldn't say, like, have you ever made one of these? And the answer with spaghetti, So yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: You go down on Main Street, right, you go to the Cowboy Cafe down there, or the Western Cafe every single day on the special board, you're gonna see Hamburger steak for breakfast?
Speaker 5: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Would you like that?
Speaker 1: With gravy? Like, I mean, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: He's already cutting down your question before you've given the answer.
Speaker 1: Does anybody else have an answer.
Speaker 7: With what my gut? With what my gut's saying?
Speaker 2: Does anybody?
Speaker 5: I mean, damn, I saw Cow's board. I can't write that.
Speaker 1: What are you doing to my game?
Speaker 4: I'm a people pleaser.
Speaker 6: Fine, as long as you don't change your answer.
Speaker 1: The double sided whiteboards are getting a really spencer's Spencer's writing here, All right, let's flip them over. Gang chuck stick, Cal says Salisbury steak, says cube steaks, says burger, I like Spencer's. Spencer says sword on a shingle, But that's chip beef. Hansi says chip beef like with toast s word on a shingle, and Brody says salisbury steak. The correct answer is Salisbury steak or Hamburger steak steak.
Speaker 5: I well, well, gravy on top, like take.
Speaker 1: Your guns, randall, Phil, do you want to do a quick fact check?
Speaker 3: Okay? But but chuck and cube steak are there. That has nothing to do with the with the preparation right of putting gravy on it is far.
Speaker 4: No, you can you can deep fat fry a cube steak and then you got chicken fried steak.
Speaker 1: Cube steak is mechanically tenderized cuff of This is what AI says. It says, it's not the same thing.
Speaker 4: What about chuck.
Speaker 6: Chuck's just a steak from the chuck, ain't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, they're not the same. AI says once again, Yeah, chuck steak is just a cut of beef from the shoulder.
Speaker 3: You use cube steak to make chicken fried steak, or you can use it to make Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Made now. The Salisbury steak was created by doctor James Henry Salisbury. Oftentimes people think it's named after Salisbury, England, but Salisbury was an American physician who developed it during the Civil War as a remedy for soldiers suffering from chronic diarrhea and other ailments. Huh, doctor Salisbury, Because when I'm suffering from crime diarrhea, the first thing I do is patty with gravy. I believe that vegetables and starchy foods produced toxins in the digestive system and advocated for a meat centered diet. He referred to the ground beef patties as quote a muscle pulp of beef and advocated for a meat based Diari said that, and he suggested that it should be eaten three times a day. Whoa, yea the.
Speaker 5: First paleo trust your doctors.
Speaker 4: But like s O s is like a military food staple.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they got like a navy You may have said this was, Yeah, Sualisbury steak and Swiss steak always kind of go I feel like interchangeably to me too.
Speaker 1: I feel like Swiss steak is like I feel like Salisbury steak is typically with like a brown gravy, where Swiss steak is more of like a white.
Speaker 4: But then like enter schnitzel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean and hamburger hamburger steak.
Speaker 2: Really, is this going on long enough?
Speaker 1: I feel like we're on time right now.
Speaker 4: We're doing great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: World War One, the anti German sentiment led to a lot of people abandoning the term hamburger steak. So question three this is in the category of America. This question comes to us from Justin Faye of Cincinnati, Ohio. He knows how to get me to read his question, In what state do you find the northwest angle the northernmost in the lower forty eight? In what state do you find the northwest angle which is the northernmost spot in the lower forty eight?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Randall is someone who doesn't care about the NBA or, with all due respect, the state of Ohio. Can I still be considered a randomal?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is, people from all walks of life are joining the movement. It could be it could be you like movies. I mean, there's a lot of people that just enjoy movies.
Speaker 3: It's very it's very inclusive. But aren't you afraid that if you kind of expand the parameters too far, then it doesn't make it special or.
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I mean I think there's obviously certain types of people that could never be randomals.
Speaker 5: Like a racist?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, you heard it first, No racist aloud A.
Speaker 1: Moment, And I feel like you have to be you can't be in curious, you know. I feel like I feel like you just have to be open to the world.
Speaker 5: What about can you be Canadian?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Can you be a woman?
Speaker 1: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Okay? Is your wife a randomal?
Speaker 1: Not really?
Speaker 3: I think she's a horrific racist.
Speaker 1: No, she said to me the other day, she said, I'm the original random one. Oh is that sweet? Did that really happen? Leave that up to the viewers at home. I see we all have answers. Why don't we flip them over? Gang Giannis is Maine, cal says Washington, Alyssa's Maine, Tresis's Maine, Spencer Minnesota, Hansi Minnesota, Brody Maine. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Minnesota. This unique creature is actually separated from the rest of Minnesota by Lake of the Woods, and you can only reach it by boat or by traveling through Canada. The Northwest Angle extends into Canadian territory and as the result of a surveying error during border negotiations between the United States and Great Britain in the late eighteenth century. I don't think that's correct. It's early nineteenth century. The Northwest Angle reaches to about forty nine degrees twenty three minutes north latitude, making it the only part of the contiguous United States that extends north of the forty ninth parallel.
Speaker 5: Good for us. Glad we got that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interestingly enough, when we were working on the when we were working on the landlocked report for tierracpian Onyx, the algorithm flagged all of that as inaccessible landlocked public lands because you couldn't get there by the road system.
Speaker 6: Well, as soon as Canada becomes the fifty first state, that line's going to move on.
Speaker 1: Let's not get into politics on this episode of the program.
Speaker 4: Brody, shouldn't it be called the North Central Angle?
Speaker 1: Depends what you're talking about it being in relation.
Speaker 4: To well, yeah, exactly context, Come on northwest of.
Speaker 1: What question four fishing, Paul, What turquoise Blue River, which the Alaska Department of Fishing Game calls quote the most heavily fished river in the forty nine state, produced the world record angler caught king salmon in nineteen eighty five. Again, we're looking for a turquoise Blue river that Alaska Department of Fishing Game calls the most heavily fished river in the state, and it produced the world record angler caught king salmon in nineteen eighty five. Had quick answers from Brody. From Yannis Hansi's writing, Cal is in a deep meditative state.
Speaker 4: Oh, I fished the damn thing and I can't remember that. You sure?
Speaker 1: Where were you?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to stir up some put yourself back in your waiting boots for a moment.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 1: This river, Turquoise Blue, the most heavily fished river in Alaska, and it produced the world record angler caught king salmon in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 2: Got an answer, you honest, I do.
Speaker 5: Have you been there, Yannie?
Speaker 1: I have Spencer's got an answer, PONSI got an answer. Oh, I see you've added a star to I'm trying.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that give you. That does help? Thank you, Yeah, it DOESNA say, trust probably has an answer on this one.
Speaker 7: I've got a great little story, oh, Melissa about the the Old River.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is brutal.
Speaker 5: Randall was actually gonna throw it to you for the flavor text.
Speaker 1: I can, Yeah, why don't I do that? I don't have much to add, I was gonna, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I got some flavor text for you.
Speaker 1: Good. Oh this is lovely.
Speaker 4: From my angling day.
Speaker 1: Cal's got a mark or to a whiteboard here, always tapping it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, writing.
Speaker 6: I think you can just write in front of everyone.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh you're just messing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm just burning through mark like they're free ramble.
Speaker 1: We're going to cut back on the swearing. When I was looking for when I was looking for listener questions, I came across an email asking us not to swear so that the children can listen. And I think that's a fair point.
Speaker 4: Let's curb their growth by keeping them insulated from the real world good parenting.
Speaker 1: I'm a guilty party myself, So you know, cal, are we gonna get there? Are we gonna.
Speaker 6: There's only a few rivers in Alaska?
Speaker 4: Just go, just go.
Speaker 2: It's honest.
Speaker 1: Ke Jewel just says Coutiny, Spencer says Mackenzie, Hansi says Yukon, and Brodie says Keen.
Speaker 3: I wait was a wedding calsa.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is the keen.
Speaker 4: This record break, Yeah, I wrote nothing, Phil, thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah uh. This record breaking king salmon was caught by angler Les Anderson. It weighed ninety seven pounds four ounces and that's forty four point one kilograms for our international friends. The Kenai River is famous for its distinctive blue color, which comes from glacial silt and for its exceptional salmon runs. It's located on the Keenai Peninsula, and Yannis has something to add.
Speaker 7: We spent almost a year living in Fairbanks, and my in laws flew over to explore a little bit of Alaska. We did a trip down onto the Kenai Peninsula, did some backpacking, fished the Anchor River a little bit, and just sort of as a stopover, we said, oh, we'll rent a little cabin on the Keni.
Speaker 3: We relax a.
Speaker 7: Little bit, take showers after you know, our adventures, and then get up to the anchorage and get a flight out. Well, we get there and the dude that owns the cabin lives right next door. And when we get there, he's like, hey, you guys like to fish. And my brother and I.
Speaker 4: Are like, what else do we do in life?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: And he's like, well, the soak are just screaming right now. Come on, I've got rods and everything we need. And we're like oh, and we literally didn't even take gear into the cabin. We walk with this fella down to the river. The next thing I know, it's two o'clock in the morning and we've got a cooler full. My brother in law quit fishing. I was snagging and just throwing him to him. He was fullying them and just putting him into the cooler. And by I think we went to bat somewhere between three and four o'clock in the morning. It was a great fishing experience. So no rest, no, no. I might have got a quick shower, but it was quite fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: There are many people who feel that this record king salmon record world record will fall to a fisher, to a to a non native king salmon fishery in South America right now.
Speaker 5: Really interesting.
Speaker 1: Interesting, yep.
Speaker 6: You may have seen videos of like these eighty pounders that are being caught down there. They think the next world records coming from down there.
Speaker 1: Trusty, you were very close, but you had It's artificial.
Speaker 2: It's artificial.
Speaker 6: I think like probably derived from maybe from farming or just introduced fish.
Speaker 2: And I think I could be wrong on this.
Speaker 6: I think those fish are coming out of the Atlantic Ocean, not the Pacific.
Speaker 4: Interesting question five.
Speaker 1: This question is in the category of gear or maritime freight. What is the busiest port on the Great Lakes which shares its name with a square roll top backpack designed to fit in the bottom of canoes? What is the busiest port on the Great Lakes which shares its name with a square roll top backpack designed to fit in the bottom of canoes? Stumper Randall, anybody do some, if only some, backcountry canoe trips, real staple of the north Woods.
Speaker 4: What the hell are those things?
Speaker 1: Just think about your start going through your your Great Lakes ports, your major ports. That's a hint.
Speaker 4: I study those all the time.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I just threw that in because I thought it was a fun tidbit. The question is actually about the packs. Spencer's writing, HANSI, do you have an answer? Yeah, yeah, I'm not confident about it, But Spencer's got an answer.
Speaker 5: Not confident either. I don't know if this is a point many canoe trip h It's might be a zero percenter.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think someone's got it.
Speaker 5: In them all these Great Lakes boys in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, canoe packs, they fit right in the bottom of your canoe or all square well roll tops.
Speaker 5: Hm.
Speaker 1: And I'll read this again because I'm not sure if I read it again, What is the busiest port on the Great Lakes which shares its name with a square roll top backpack designed to fit in the bottom of canoes. There's some listeners right now.
Speaker 4: Oh, just jumping out of their pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, losing it.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: They would portage their way here and deliver the message if they could. Do you have an answer, Cal, It's the wrong answer, you know. It's like this goot, like we can't tell you how far it is. We have to tell you how far. And Rods that technic culture, you know, well is it a mile? Like, well, it's sixteen rods just drag me insane.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Oh, Brody suffering are waiting on me.
Speaker 1: No, I think Cal and Brody.
Speaker 2: I can just.
Speaker 4: Haven they ain't got it.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm gonna I'm gonna write something down.
Speaker 4: Once you three go flip them over.
Speaker 1: Gang Giannis says Detroit, Cal says Duluth, Melissa says Port. Dry, Bag says Dry, Spencer says Marias Hansi says Port Huron, and Brody says Milwaukee. We have a correct answer to the room. The answer is du Luth. Dang Trading Company.
Speaker 4: To Dluth is on fire. I didn't think it was a busy port.
Speaker 1: The Port of Duluth Superior located where Lake Superior meets the Saint Louis River at the western tip of the Great Lakes, handles more cargo by tonnage than any other Great Lakes by tonnage. Yeah, it's everything iron ore, attack pellets, Oh yeah, col grain and other.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 1: The Duluth Pack is a square roll top backpack or bag originally designed to fit in the bottom of canoes. It's a classic piece of outdoor equipment that dates back to eighteen eighty two when it was created by Camille Poier in Duluth, Minnesota. These packs are known for their durability and become iconic and canoe camping in wilderness exploration, particularly in the Boundary Waters region.
Speaker 4: There's a great, great restaurant next to the Duluth Pack Company in Duluth that has its own like smokehouse for Lake spear, whitefish.
Speaker 1: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a killer and lake trout.
Speaker 1: Oh man, well, gang, I thought we'd do better on that. I'm glad it wasn't a zero percenter. We're now halfway through our game of trivia, and that means it's time for a scoreboard update from Phil the engineer.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, oh if hold on one second on Duluth. Yeah, hey listeners, TBT. My cousin is going through med school. She's in Duluth. She needs a job. Just talking.
Speaker 1: So if you own a hospital, well.
Speaker 4: I mean she just needs to make money. So bakery just so happens. I mean, I was just talking to my uncle about this. She needs a job, isn't it isn't trampled by from Duluth. Yeah, I can get her concert tickets.
Speaker 5: Also, Frank Lloyd Wright like one of the most famous architects in the world. His only gas station, I think is located.
Speaker 4: We need to move it along.
Speaker 1: Spencer, I like better Phil up on this scoreboard.
Speaker 3: I'd love to LETSSA. You're on the board with zero points. Tresa and Spencer have one point apiece. Johannest Cal and HANSI are all tied up with two and the only person that's lining up with the Sydney Index so far is Brody Henderson. He has three points at halftime.
Speaker 1: Interesting, gang not remember the KENI it's competitive here, it's competitive game. I'm really excited for the second half. Question six comes to us in the category of hunting. What class hunting bullet first tested by John Nosler in nineteen forty seven, gets its name from the internal structure that divides its two lead cores. What classic hunting bullet, first tested by John Nosler in nineteen forty seven, gets its name from the internal structure that divides its two lead cores.
Speaker 6: Shot cup critters bullets still a great bullet?
Speaker 1: It is a great bullet, Cal, do you have an answer?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. Guys said great bullet.
Speaker 1: Don't besmirch John Nosler's legacy here, Cal, It's tried and true.
Speaker 7: I can, I think recount his story of what made him the hull that made him want to let this bullet.
Speaker 1: I'll let you do the flavor text and then I'll check it against my flavor text. Just a fun little game of having other people do the the flavor text.
Speaker 4: Why I having a hard time with that? An having annurinism or something.
Speaker 3: John Nosler would be a great name for like and that would have been in a seventies and.
Speaker 4: John Nossler? How do you think he got a seed money for the Bowler Company? Very money? M this is a good kid's episode. What were you saying, Melissa.
Speaker 3: I don't know this one.
Speaker 1: I tried to I tried to get Sydney. I tried to lead her into this one.
Speaker 7: I hope your son's not gonna say, Mom, this is what I shot my giant bowl with.
Speaker 1: No, but it's not, oh, you know, no. But I'm just thinking about how far away that bowl was.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't have been a good Joe, wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: A good choice. Although they are at the front, half is.
Speaker 2: Spencer is still right.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, I didn't mean to clear my throat into the microphone.
Speaker 3: Well, Steve really opened the damn on that one.
Speaker 4: In a New World.
Speaker 5: Game, Spencer, Yeah done.
Speaker 1: Are we ready to flip over? Flip over? Gang? Youre honest? Showed to me partition. Calus says partition. Alyssa no answer, trusted the Nozzler. Spencer no answer. Hansi says nozzler, partition. Brody says partition. The correct answer is partition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I believe John Nozzleer was shooting at a mud caked moose if I remember correctly, and was wailing away and nothing was dying. And I can't remember if he recovered that moose or not, but he came home and said, I got to make something better.
Speaker 1: Shot at seven times on a Mooselam in British Columbia with a three hundred h and h mind you. The partition gets its name from the unique internal copper partition that separates the front and rear lead cores of the bullet. This innovative design was revolutionary for hunting ammunition because it allowed for controlled expansion while maintaining weight retention. The front core is designed to expand upon impact for tissue damage, while the partition prevents the bullet from breaking apart completely. The rear core remains intact and ensures deep penetration and energy transfer.
Speaker 4: I would take the acubond over the partition one thousand percent of the time.
Speaker 1: I've killed a lot of stuff with acubonds. Killed my first elk with a partition. I killed one of my first partitions. Actually, it resembled John Nosler's scenario.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the fact that the bullet breaks apart was the thing that made me be like, I don't want to shoot, but it.
Speaker 6: Doesn't only the front end breaks apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I found a pedal that peeled off and literally like tumbled down the loin and I was like, oh, this defeated the purpose of killing this year.
Speaker 6: Oh no, bullet's been around for I shot my first along.
Speaker 4: I shot my first.
Speaker 1: One hundred and thirty grain partitions out of a two seventy shout it a lot of times.
Speaker 5: Salisbury Steak fans.
Speaker 1: South Very steak exactly pre ground Question seven. This is comes to us from the realm of woodsmanship, and I'm going to use the word realm again in this question. In the realm of wilderness medicine, what do the letters h A stand for in acronyms like the conditions haste and hate which occurred to travelers in mountainous terrain? What do the letters h A stand for in acronyms like h A ce and h a pe which occur to travelers in mountainous terrain? See some writing on the boards here. I can tell you the last two letters, can you really?
Speaker 5: But I can't remember the first two?
Speaker 3: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Well that doesn't get me any points, but you can do the flavor text. If you've maybe seen the movie K two with Chris O'Donnell, Oh, I gotcha, gotcha. This this condition plays a prominent role in the plot of that movie, along with the drug dexamethasone. Hmm, just a cordericow steroid.
Speaker 5: It would be the first time of confident. I'm not even that confident.
Speaker 1: I think do we all? Broody's writing no, cals Cal's reconsidering his answer this question seven, Phil, it is Chris O'Donnell in K two, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Oh, you're asking the wrong guy.
Speaker 5: I'd say, he's exactly the right guy.
Speaker 1: Why don't we? Are we ready to flip the boards over? Col? Flip him over?
Speaker 2: Gang?
Speaker 1: You're honest? Everybody except for Tresta says high altitude. I like, hasty, Bill, I like the correct answer is high altitude HANSI, what are the other two letters? Pulmonary edema and cerebral okay?
Speaker 2: Okay? Uh.
Speaker 1: High altitude cerebral edemon and high altitude pulmonary edema are serious medical conditions that can affect people traveling in mountainous regions. Both HASTE and HAPE are potentially life threatening and can develop when people ascend to high elevations too quickly without proper acclimization. HACE involves swelling of brain tissue due to fluid liquid leakage, while HAPE involves fluid accumulation in the lungs. Both require immediate medical attention and descent to lower elevations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's the beauty is like you get them to lower elevations. That's the first.
Speaker 1: First thing nature provides the cure.
Speaker 3: It looks like Chris o'donald is not in K two The Ultimate High Michael A bunch of people who are just not in the public consciousness anymore. But Michael Bean, Matt Craven.
Speaker 1: Is Chris o donald in any sort of mountain movie?
Speaker 3: You know, I'll do some more research check that.
Speaker 1: I can just picture Chris o'donald up in the mountains in any event. Question eight. In the realm of fishing, what is the common term for a four sided lead weight with a point at one end, often used by shore anglers for fishing stationary baits? What is the common term for a four sided lead weight with a point at one end, often used by shore anglers for fishing stationary baits? Quick answer out of Brody. I put this one for question eight instead of question ten. I see that to keep things interesting. The answer from Spencer.
Speaker 3: Here, Uh, randall, you were thinking of the film Vertical Limit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, embarrassing.
Speaker 4: We can't forget Cliffhanger amongst that genre. Yeah, that's a fantastic, is it is? And then what's the Clint Eastwood Mountain climbing a movie where the Eiger sanction?
Speaker 5: There is.
Speaker 2: One?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they made they made it. The more recent one is the movie of Everest, about the John Krack hour, about the ninety six Everest disaster. But I never saw it.
Speaker 3: I think I had a restack dah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's got in there.
Speaker 1: It's low.
Speaker 3: Benicio del Toro might be in it.
Speaker 1: I don't know who plays Beck Weathers is it?
Speaker 4: Is it j Jail Halls in there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Beck weathers Is. I don't think he plays oh Beck. But it's a good actor.
Speaker 5: Trust me, I trust you.
Speaker 1: Phill you on IMDb right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, why don't we flip over our boards? Gang Gianna says pyramid, Cal says pyramid, List says dead weight, Trust says crank, Spencer says pyramid, Hansi says pyramid, and Brodie says pyramid. The correct answer is pyramid. Sure. Anglers typically use pyramid sinkers because the pointed design helps anchor the weight in sand or mud, preventing it from rolling in surf or current. This allows for a more stationary bait presentation while fishing from beaches, piers or banks. I have lost a great number of pyramid sinkers by snagging them on the bottom of the Little Miami River. M guys, you guys ever use pyramid sinkers?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I feel like that's something the host does Little Miami.
Speaker 5: That's in Ohio, right, Yes, yes, we are you catching there? Catfish?
Speaker 1: Catfish? Oh? Anything you want? Catfish, carp drum.
Speaker 5: That's not quite anything I want?
Speaker 1: Phil, what are we doing on beck Weathers?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm looking up the cast for the twenty fifteen film Everest, just because I remember there have been a lot of it. Was Josh Brolin, I was, I was giving some Yeah, jast Night lost.
Speaker 1: No, Phil, We've got two questions left. How about a scoreboard update, as is customary and in fact required by Spencer's hosting guidelines.
Speaker 3: I would love to Randall, whoa look at this game. Everyone's on the board. Alyssa and Testa have one point. Damn Spencer falling from the last game. He's got three. But the players left in the game after question eight are Yannis cal and Hansei with five and Brody Henderson in first place with six.
Speaker 2: Points.
Speaker 1: Now, for those of you falling along at home, my average winning answer score is an eight. So if Brody gets the next two questions correct, we'll be hitting that right on the nose. That's what you look for in a host, Just solid, reliable. Question nine, yep, Spencer. Question nine. This is in the realm of public lands under the public Land Survey System? How many six hundred forty acre sections make up a township? Under the public Land Survey System? How many six hundred forty acre sections make up a township? A lot of stumped faces in the room. Phil, Who did Jillenhall play?
Speaker 3: He played Scott Fisher?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Under the public Lands Survey System, how many six h you know acre sections make up a township? No, guys, ever, you ever turned on the township the section township range filter on your.
Speaker 2: On X Yes.
Speaker 5: No, But before on X like got to the states that I really cared about, I owned a stock of a stack of plat books like that. Those were so valuable to me. That's what I'd asked for for Christmas, so that Santa usually did pretty good. There's still somewhere around. But then on X made them irrelevant.
Speaker 1: What did the Santa at the mall. Kind of look did he give you when you showed up with a list of quadrangle maps?
Speaker 5: You said, what's the plat book? So I'm guessing based on that, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Spencer, Hansei Brodie have answers. Oh, Hanse doesn't have an answer. God the reverse to the Whitebore got me again. Joannis is an answer. Cal I wrote something, He's got something down trust and Alyssa.
Speaker 5: I'm nostalgic for those play book days that made it a lot harder to track down the right person. But you can't beat on.
Speaker 1: X Well Gang Hansie. You know I'm not trying to pressure you. I just I feel like earlier, I feel like when we were two questions in this episode, people will giving me a hard time for taking too long. And now we're at question nine and I'm really feeling the heap. Well, I think this has gone.
Speaker 7: Well for the because I hosted so long. We're running into lunchtime and I think you're getting a little anger response.
Speaker 1: I've got some I've got some meatballs upstairs. I'm gonna dig into go to chain meatballs.
Speaker 7: I've got some Mallard duck legs.
Speaker 1: Why don't we flip them over. Gang honest says one hundred Cols is ten Alyssa one, Tresa one, Spencer thirty two, Hansey twenty four, Brody twenty five. Gang, that's a zero percenter real close. The answer is thirty six. The public land Survey system established by the Land Ordinance of seventeen eighty five, a township contains thirty six sections, with each section being one hundred or excuse me, six hundred and forty acres. The standard township is six miles by six miles square. It's divided into thirty cententy said that sections within a township are numbered in a specific pattern, starting with Section one in in the northeast corner, and then proceeding west to Section six, then south and east to Section twelve, then west to Section eighteen, and so on in alternating patterns, with Section thirty six being in the southeast corner. Now, what's interesting to know is that states received certain numbers of sections from each township as state trust lands to support public education and other designated beneficiaries.
Speaker 5: It was like sixteen and thirty two two.
Speaker 1: It's different between the states. The next sentence, these allotments varied and became increasingly more generous as new states were admitted to the Union. For instance, Congress granted on Tana and Idaho section sixteen and thirty six of each township. Will New Mexico and Arizona received two sixteen, thirty two and thirty six.
Speaker 5: So as the country grew west, I think Ohio was a bad example of like they sold all their school lands almost immediately, and so then they're like, all right, we got to make sure folks have these things and use them. And so that was how the school trust lands came about.
Speaker 1: And I would say some of us US meeting Americans are still trying to get rid of these school trust lands. As we speak.
Speaker 5: School trust and trust lands are a little weird and that I think their objective is to like make as much money as possible, which can lead to things like sales if they decide, like, our best use of this thing would be to sell it. I you know, certain states the way.
Speaker 1: They're they're yeah, they're a rid to manage them for maximum yield.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so's it's unique versus the other public lands we're familiar.
Speaker 4: Like if your brain functions in a way to where you're like land doesn't grow in value we're making more land. I'm sure somewhere. Sure, then it makes sense to sell m if you can wrap your head around that.
Speaker 7: I thought you didn't want to get political in this episode, Randall.
Speaker 1: This is in politics. Is just American? Oh, this is just America.
Speaker 4: For those of us at this table in the state of Montana, one point two five million acres? Ye, right now, what they're trying to sell right now? That quote unquote fair market value. Now, before we go, the same suns of guns. Like every time there's an easement bill in this state, groups show up and they say, hey, we can't give an easement in perpetuity because it's based on fair market value, and we can't see into the future. So how could you ever come up with what's fair right now for the future. Those same people right now are saying, hey, let's sell one point two five million acres based on fair market value. And it drives me insane. Now, before we go to our Oh no, we've got another question.
Speaker 7: I know, but I don't think anybody can. Somebody can, Yeah, yeah, let's all right, let's keep playing.
Speaker 1: Before we go to our final question, here's a quick rundown of the correct answers for you folks playing along number one, Humble number two, who for who could forget Salisbury Steak number three, Minnesota number four, keen I number five, Duluth number six, Partition number seven, High Altitude number eight, Pyramid number nine thirty six. Now the score at this point is Brody six, Hansi five, Cow five, Jannis five. So this last question really could send us six.
Speaker 5: And then you got that one wrong.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a zero percenter classic one.
Speaker 1: So this is a really important question, is my point for them? And I think you're gonna like it. This is our listener Question of the Week from Brian Green. For submitting this great question, Brian will receive a board game signed by the crew and if you want a chance to win Listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the meat Eater dot com. This last question comes to us in the realm of cooking, what nine letter side dish, which gets its name from the Algonquin tribes of New England, can be described as a medley of grains, legumes, vegetables, and sometimes meats. Most common ingredients include sweetcorn, beans, tomatoes, and peppers. Whatnot? We got a lot oh I didn't think that many people jump on their boards. What nine letters side gets its name from the Algonquin tribes of New England can be described as a medley of grains, legumes, vegetables, and sometimes meats. Most common ingredients include sweet corn, beans, tomatoes, and peppers. Hmmm, sounds good.
Speaker 5: You write the longest questions of any host, Randall. You've got you've cornered that market.
Speaker 1: Well, this was written by Brian Green, and that's why it's our listener question of the week. I just think, yeah, more.
Speaker 4: Bang for the buck for the listener. Longer the question, I believe.
Speaker 1: I added the most common ingredients at the end as a as a little I didn't think it would. I didn't think it was easy enough with it.
Speaker 6: It's a good idea to write the question so long that my time, Randall gets to the end of the question. You forgot what the beginning was about.
Speaker 1: How many sections are in a township?
Speaker 4: Thirty six?
Speaker 1: See variety. That's what you're looking for in a host. Variety and length of questions.
Speaker 5: Does anybody know this?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Brody knows it.
Speaker 5: Brody's gonna win if he thinks, you know.
Speaker 1: If he's wrong, though, maybe Yannis knows it.
Speaker 2: I think I got a feeling, honest knows.
Speaker 7: I had a word come into my brain and has nine letters in it. I think I'm going for it.
Speaker 1: I really liked Brian's question. He submitted too, and I forget what the other one was, but this one really stood out to me. It's a great question.
Speaker 7: I wish when they wrote in though, they provided a little flavor text too.
Speaker 1: Let me I was going to get to that. Brian provided me with some flavor.
Speaker 5: Text, like like a page and a half, three pages of flavor text. I'll have people send in entire scripts.
Speaker 2: Well, here you go, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don no, no, Brian, Brian sent him flavor text and even included a link to a recipe on the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 5: Wow, this one, right.
Speaker 1: You never know, do you know what every recipe on the media familiar?
Speaker 6: You didn't like this stuff when I was a little all right, I.
Speaker 4: Guess I don't know if I've ever had it.
Speaker 1: Why don't we flip them over? Yannis says sack attash, Cal says suck attash, Melissa says gulash tress cowboy Caviar, Spencer says cornucopia. Hansey says suck attash. Brody says suck attacks.
Speaker 5: Got who spelled it right?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: You you did? No one else didn't put that. Let's see, let's see what is What is that s u c C s U c C I had to suck Attash comes from the Narragansett word suck with tash, which was described by British explorer John Carver in seventeen eighty seven as quote, unripe corn and beans in the same state, boiled together with bear's flesh, the fat of which moistens the pulse and renders it beyond comparison delicious. I got that from Brian. This next bit, I added, I can't wait.
Speaker 4: To use that. You know that dinner was lovely. It really moistened my pulse.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Famously, the Looney Tunes and Mary Melodies character Sylvester J. Pussycat would often exclaim suffering suck atash when he was frustrated, especially during his failed attempts to catch Tweetybird. The phrase became one of his most recognizable catchphrases, along with his characteristic lisp. For a suck attash recipe, check out Wade Trong's recipe for miso butter based in Kobia with summer suck Atash on the meat eater dot.
Speaker 5: Com Good Flavor text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brian killed it.
Speaker 4: I thought suck Tash had squash are I think it can.
Speaker 5: Have whatever you want.
Speaker 1: You can have whatever you want, be corn I was.
Speaker 5: I liked that.
Speaker 1: I thought that was the big thing is you have some carbs and you have some whatever beans are you know? Yeah, there's some there's some magical combination of nutrition. Brody, if I'm not mistaken, you are the winner of this game of meat Eater Trivia to what worthy cause? Would you like to donate your w Did we.
Speaker 6: Deplete our l A L A I fund with the corner crossing?
Speaker 4: Well, no, we're I mean we're building it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I donated in part to that. I think when I won the championship, Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: I don't recall. Let's throw it in there.
Speaker 6: Mediator Land Access Initiative.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, fantastic, five hundred dollars to the Meat Eater Land Access Initiative. Well, gang, this was fun. Join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia only game show where conservation always wins. Tiebreaker. Yes, Spencer from South Dakota, He's the host.
Speaker 3: Using those smooth, mellow tones, he lays them questions down.
Speaker 1: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It's an avid amateur