Speaker 1: Something strange is going on. Who is killing Russian billionaires? Another Russian oligarch has been found dead. Reports suggests that he hanged himself, fell out of.
Speaker 2: A window, slashed his wrists, was poisoned, murdered his whole family. Last year, more than a dozen Russian oligarchs died in the space of nine months. Many of the debts are suspicious with links to the Kremlin. This is sad Oligach, an investigation into these recently dead Russian billionaires. It's created by me Jake Hanrahan and my colleague Sergey Slipchenkov. Sad Oligarch is a H eleven production for Kulso Media and iHeartRadio. This case concerned someone a bit different. He died in Washington. He was anti Poutine, he had connections to both US political parties, and he's actually not e and Russian. He is, however, dead and the circumstances around his death are really strange. On August fourteenth, twenty twenty two, Latvian born Dan Rappaport, fifty two, was in his luxury apartment in Washington, DC. He lived in the city's West End, an upmarket area with the finest restaurants hotels and condos.
Speaker 1: Naturally, Rappaport was rich.
Speaker 2: He made his money in a number of different ways, including financial investments in which he oversaw large international projects concerning US Russian oil cooperation. That evening, police in DC got an alert on their patrol car radio.
Speaker 1: There's been a jumper in the West End.
Speaker 2: As they pulled up to the scene, a man was found lying in a heap on the floor. He'd fallen out of the window of his fancy apartment, plummeting nine stories onto the pavement.
Speaker 1: It was Dan Rappaport, of what was left.
Speaker 2: Of him, He'd fallen around ninety feet to the concrete. That's a serious fall. Around ninety nine percent of people who fall that distance don't survive. Dan Rappaport was no exception. He was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital and his pockets was two six hundred and ten dollars in cash, a broken phone, and the lanyard with a key attached. An autopsy report released in November twenty twenty two stated that Rappaport died from multiple blunt force trauma injuries as a result of the fall. However, his cause of death was ruled as undetermined. His wife said he showed no signs of depression and doesn't believe it was a suicide. They'd made plans for the following day and Rappaport had several business meetings scheduled. Police closed the case, but they said they're open to further investigate if any tips come in or further evidence appears. So, who was done, Rappaport and why would you have any connection to the dead Russians mentioned throughout this series. Let's start with the Soho Rooms Rappaport nightclub. The Soho Rooms was a high end nightclub in Moscow. It was opened by Rappaport in two thousand and seven. Within a few years of its launch, the club became somewhat of a mecca for Russia's rich, cosmopolitan party scene. Situated in a trendy building that's a mix of Art Deco and Soviet brutalism, the Soho Rooms was the place to be if you wanted to flow in your money and indulge in expensive taste. Reserving a single table cost one hundred thousand rubles, which is over one thousand US dollars. That's the average monthly wage for your everyday Muscovite. International musicians performed regularly the Soho Rooms, including Johnny Depp and his awful band Hollywood Vampires. It became the go to club for it girls, politicians, and businessmen. If you like fine dining, strong drugs, and expensive liquor, the Soho Rooms was the place to be. It became synonymous with Russia's party elite. It was very well known. If you weren't there on Friday or Saturday night, he didn't matter. Rappaport himself was by no means a silent partner in all of this. He loved the nightlife, the seeing the money. By all accounts, he basked in the glory of running a club for the elite. According to a Russian journalist familiar with the culture of the Soho Rooms, Rappaport knew everyone that mattered, and everyone that mattered knew him. It was a legend in Russia's party scene. The Soho Rooms expanded with franchises across Russia and won in Dubai. Naturally, the club turned over big profits. Rappaport lived a lavish lifestyle and apparently he owned several million dollar apartments around Moscow. Clearly life was good, or at least it was until Rappaport had to flee Russia due to his anti pootin activity. However, how serious him fleeing was at the time is up for debate, as Rappaport allegedly returned to Russia several times after being apparently forced to leave. He continued to build what was considered a cult following amongst the party scene until the Soho rooms was closed down in twenty eighteen. At this time, the Russian ruble was at one of its highest values. Rappaport was making a killing four years later, though he'd wind up dead on a DC pavement. Nightclubs is not how Dan Rappaport first got rich stock. He got his start in economics, as Me and Surgery discussed.
Speaker 3: He grew up in the US and he got his really from Houston, Texas. From there he went into an investing firm, Fibro. They focused like raw materials, so any kind of oil, just mining things like that. I think he graduated somewhere in the early nineties and he started working at Fibro and they were working on a project in Russia, one of the first like oil extraction projects. The company basically got three stakes in three different oil fields and they were trying to develop those.
Speaker 4: They were one of the.
Speaker 3: First companies to go in and they were one of the first companies to actually set up shop like they were I think by nineteen ninety one nineteen eighty two, they were already pumping oil and selling it.
Speaker 2: And so a familiar pattern emerges. This is yet another wealthy businessman with heavy ties to the Russian oil and gas industry who's died in mysterious circumstances. This guy even fell out of a window. When Rappaport first entered this industry in the nineties, big money was made immediately, and the Russian government quickly stepped in to increase their cut.
Speaker 3: I think it was around twenty k years dr day. It did slow down. That project kind of fizzled out. It was kind of killed off by the Russian government because they were they were really getting a hang out of the whole capitalism thing, and they were putting a bunch of taxes on from what it seems like everything you know, on the transport of oil, on companies operating in it, then forcing them to pay and extremely devalued ruble, which kind of just I guess, kind of killed that obviously, other companies to cover and you know, now oil is massive, but at that time, like that project called White Knights didn't exactly work out.
Speaker 2: The White Knights project was the first joint Russian American operation designed to open up more oil fields across Siberia. White Knights was actually conceived before the collapse of the Soviet Union, when the UA SSR was opening up to foreign investment in the late eighties. As Sergey said, White Knights began turning over twenty thousand dollars a day within just a few months of its launch. By nineteen ninety two, though the project collapsed. Rappaports stayed in Russia after White Knights ended. He had experience in both the USSR and the US, having grown up in Soviet Latvia but also getting educated in America, a very useful set of credentials in the banditry period of post Soviet Russia.
Speaker 4: From then on he stayed in Russia.
Speaker 3: And you know, being from a Russian family, they escaped from Latvia like Ussar Latvia to the US.
Speaker 4: He's like a US citizen. He can be the middleman.
Speaker 3: You know, he speaks Russian, of course, and he became this middleman for investors and the New Russia. That's kind of you know how they say selling out, They're kind of everything that was once government owned is now going to private owners. And he was this middleman looking for American European investors, helping them make these deals of purchasing these massive facilities, anything that can be sold, basically that was being sold any industry that the USSR had. He was kind of making those deals.
Speaker 2: After this, Rappaport went on to work at an investment firm Center Invest, essentially doing the same things he'd been doing before, working as a fixer or a middleman for Western companies looking to capitalize on the collapse of the Soviet Union. Bleed it dry, ignore the people profit. By the two thousands, Rappaport was the manager at sent To Invest, with offices in both Moscow and New York. Over the decade, he went from wealthy to very wealthy. This is when Rappaport made the bulk of his money, enabling him to invest in more exciting ventures like the Soho rooms in Moscow. Rappaport opened that in two thousand and seven, but then the following year he hit a roadblock. The US government puts sanctions on him.
Speaker 3: It seems like the charges were a securities fraud and even though he you know, is sanctioned, he was kind of.
Speaker 4: In trouble with the US government.
Speaker 3: Five years later, all the charges were dropped and he returned to the US.
Speaker 2: So Dan Rappaport was accused and charged with securities fraud.
Speaker 1: But what is that.
Speaker 2: Well, basically, it's high tier white collar lying. It's also referred to as stock fraud or investment fraud, and it's a serious crime. Basically, it involves misrepresenting a deal by either omitting certain details or just outright lying to urge investors to make decisions. Stockbrokers, brokerage corporations, and investment banks are often involved in securities fraud in some way, most of them get away with it. That Rapperport's charges were dropped after five years doesn't mean much in my opinion either way. He made his money capitalizing on the downfall of post Soviet Russia, skipping back and forth between New York and Moscow as your average Russian near staffed pretty much standard Oligach behavior.
Speaker 3: It seems like he has businesses all over Russia and like spread throughout the world. But there's nothing like one big business. That's kind of like pointed out, he just had multiple incomes from different things.
Speaker 2: Whilst we've seen Rappaports sometimes painted as a separate entity to the other oligachs we've looked into, probably because of his open anti Putinism, he very much came up in the same scene of the post Soviet free for all as they did.
Speaker 3: That would be the majority of his money from that ten year period, consulting and kind of directing investors into Russia and then the stock management. He was pretty much a fixer. He's I guess, like you know, he spoke Russian. He he got kind of an inn with the White Knights project. I'm assuming he built connections, kind of figured out how things work, and then he went from there and started, yeah, like being a fixer kind of finding Like somebody wants to sell something, He's like, okay, cool, I'll go find you know, a rich American, a rich European to come and buy it out.
Speaker 2: What was the story is spun that Rappaport had to flee Russia due to anti pootin activity. He first left because he owed the Russian government tax and they charged him for not paying it. It wasn't even that much money, not for him anyway. It was around forty thousand US dollars. But for whatever reasons he was charged, he left the country.
Speaker 3: It's pretty well documented that, first of all, in the nineties it was very like shady dealings anything that was being sold off. You know, we've covered previously how everything was being privatized and people kind of used different, maybe legal, but kind of underhanded ways of getting wealthy. I mean, some things are anecdotal, somethings are recorded where you know, a lot of crime organizations were in charge. And my guess would be as if he was doing any kind of like consulting that we talked about as finding businesses to sell to rich investors, I would assume he had to deal with the government and with people who were in this organized crime kind of figuring out who to talk to, who's selling, and where to find you know. So I'm guessing he was involved in this. I just think you can't avoid it. At that time period, it just so involved, you know, the government is kind of especially I mean maybe not at the time, it wasn't as involved with everything, but it all kind of led to the government taking over and they were still in charge, so like he absolutely had to be involved with the States too, for Saul work on oil and then from them to you know, sell off essentially state industry, like he'd have to be at least to some degree.
Speaker 2: It's clear that at one point Rappaport was cozied up to the Russian government enough to at least do business with them back and forth between the US, which would make both parties a lot of money. At some point he hit a snagdough, as we mentioned, with the tax problems. Before this, Rappaport had several companies in Russia, though his fingers were in many different pies. He was a human piroshki. He owned the Russian company selling and trading raw materials such as precious metals. He owned the Russian real estate company. He owned the Russian catering business. He was into all sorts until the Russian government shut him down citing various legal violations. They then took control of all his companies and liquidated them. The money was theirs. To suspect that this is what made Rappaport anti Putin as opposed to any specific humanitarian issues, but that's just a personal hunch. Sergio andmy tried to find more specific information on Rappaport's anti Putin activity, but there wasn't actually that much, not from the time when it apparently happened.
Speaker 3: I tried to look back at like more like articles at the time, you know, kind of what was going on at that time, instead of him saying recently, like in the last year, that he was a huge anti Putine critic.
Speaker 4: I couldn't find too much.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess the biggest thing is that he was working with Navalney, not the Valny, but like the opposition and then eventually Navalny, and that kind of that's pointed as the biggest like he was anti Putin, he was working with like the opposition, But I can't exactly find that he was such a huge, like outspoken person against Russia or Putin again until until he went back to the US.
Speaker 4: Then he was more kind of active, I guess in that.
Speaker 3: But at the time that he left, you know, the government was saying that it's because of the taxes. He claimed there was because he was being threatened for supporting the opposition. I mean, you can see both sides, like maybe he doesn't want to admit to you know, wrongdoing in terms of taxes, and the government doesn't want people to think that it's because they're, you know, threatening someone.
Speaker 2: But that said, it is actually a tried and tested method of Putin to create wrongdoing around political opponents in a bid to crush any opposition. I think it's likely this happened to Rappaport. Sure he did all the Kremlin tax but to a multimillionaire the equivalent of forty thousand dollars is hardly something he couldn't resolve. Maybe it's a case of two birds one stone. Rappaport is rich and influential, with strong ties to the US, and he's helping the Russian opposition parties. So let's get rid of him and just say it was because of this loose end of oad taxes. Let's not look too crazy, not yet anyway. Now, I'm not saying Rappaport didn't genuinely want a new Russia one without the iron fist of Putin and his squad, but he did also make a lot of money under it until the heat got too close.
Speaker 3: He was more than happy to work and Russia Putting was ready in power for at least a decade at that point. He was more than happy to be there throughout everything, you know, when they were kind of when all these aligars were making their money in the nineties, it wasn't through the most I don't know, not in the most honorable ways, not the most not the cleanest way, you know, So like he knew what he was doing. I think he was more than happy to profit while you know, while he was making money, while he wasn't kind of threatening anyway. I think it's like, I think maybe he definitely supported the opposition, you know, but I highly doubt he would have risked his wealth and his happy life for like to create a putting kind of thing. I think maybe he truly, you know, he did support like the opposition and stuff. But at the minute the US raised their sanctions from two thousand and eight, he was gone. He was back in the US, back in the US. Rappaport continued his pursuit of political influence. In twenty twelve, just as his US sanctions evaporated, Dan Rappaport began working with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney was running against Obama. Rapperport was an advisor, specifically working on parts of the campaign that focused on putting more US political pressure on Putin and Russia. Romney lost Obama one, and then fast forward to twenty sixteen, Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Arrived Gidbriyan jail. What was There are.
Speaker 2: Various nonsense conspiracy theories about Trump being a literal Russian agent. It's no secret that he often spoke fondly of Putin. Trump complimented Putin dozens of times before and after he was elected president in twenty sixteen. Who was particularly excited that Putin had said he was great and smart, going on about it several times.
Speaker 1: It got weird.
Speaker 2: It was like a child impressed that the teacher complimented its drawing.
Speaker 5: I think when it calls me brilliant, I'll take the compliment, Okay.
Speaker 2: Then it got really dark. After Putin launched the Russian invasion of Ukraine in twenty twenty two, which has so far led to the deaths of ten thousand civilians, including over five hundred children. Trump said Putin was a genius for doing this.
Speaker 5: I said, this is genius. Putin declares a big portion of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh that's wonderful. So Putin is now saying it's independent a large section of Ukraine. I said, how smart is that? And he's going to go in and be a peacekeeper. That's the strongest peace force we could use that on our southern border. That's the strongest peace force I've ever seen. There were more army tanks that I've ever seen. They going to keep peace? All right?
Speaker 2: But what does this all have to do with Dan Rappaport, the now dead American Russian citizen businessman who made his fortune jumping back and forth between New York and Moscow. Well, as you can probably guess, Rappaport was not a fan of Trump. With all the Putin PDA, Rappaport came out in criticism of Trump and his presidency. He didn't like that Trump was friendly with Putin, and he made that very clear publicly. Around this time, in twenty seventeen, Rappaport was living very nicely with his then wife. He owned a six bedroom mansion in Washington, DC. And guess who his neighbors happened to be? The Obamas. Yeah, Rappaport lived next door to the Obama family, or released as close as you can get to next door in such an area. The Obama house was eighty two hundred square foot. You're hardly sharing a war. Like Russian politicians, American politicians make themselves filthy rich throughout their careers. Take US Representative Nancy Pelosi, for example.
Speaker 5: Let us remember what President Reagan said, don't bother me with a question like that.
Speaker 2: She's worth an estimated one hundred and fourteen million dollars.
Speaker 3: When is this?
Speaker 5: When is this?
Speaker 2: Strangely enough, her husband, Paul Pelosi, has made several lucrative stock trades that coincide with the US government legislation in the technology sector, coincidentally, a sector Rappaport had a business in. Nancy says, all the lucky stocks of her husband is all just a coincidence. It's nothing to do with her. It's definitely not insider trading.
Speaker 3: Really really, okay.
Speaker 2: Politicians are politicians. They used their positions to do business to benefit themselves. Dan Rappaport knew this better than anyone. He'd been moving and shaking within the ven diagram of international politics and corporate profit for decades. Let's be honest, this is how we ended up with a six bedroom mansion in DC. The mansion in question was sold later in twenty seventeen, when Rappaport and his wife got a divorce. It sold for five point five million dollars and who was it sold to? The Trump family. Dan Rappaport, an outspoken critic of Trump and his friendliness towards Putin, sold his house to Donald Trump's daughter and her husband, Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner. Whilst this is notable, I don't think it's that unusual. People working in politics, in my experience as a journalist, often focused on international affairs at least, generally will fall down in the wind. That is, once money and power are involved, all bets are off. In politics, profits almost always comes above integrity. Now, to be fair to Dan Rapperport, he told a journalist at the time that the sale of the house was actually nothing to do with him. He said the money was split between him and his ex wife and she was the one selling it personally, though I find out hard to believe. They also owned a one point five million dollar apartment, a second three point five million dollar home, and Rappaport's parents live in a one million dollar Florida beach house. That Rappaport would just pay no attention to the sale of his most expensive property seems highly unlikely.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: After the divorce, Dan Rapperport moved to Ukraine. He lived in a fancy in Kiev. Now remember this was five years before the full scale invasion. I myself was in Kiev around this time, as was Sergy. The war was only in the east of the country then, which was very far away from Kiev. Everything was completely normal in the capitol. It's not unusual that someone might move to Kiev, not then, especially if they have a lot of money. You could live comfortably there on a normal Western wage, and if you were rich, you could live like a king. Rapaport, though, as we know, could live like a king anywhere. He was worth a fortune. So why are Ukraine well? It seems this was all part of another business venture. He set up a residential investment firm, putting money into new apartments in Kiev. You also got remarried and had a baby daughter. When Russia invaded Ukraine in February twenty twenty two, Rappaport's new equally comfortable life was upended. He took his family and flew back to the US, living once again in Washingrington, DC, where he'd later die after falling from the apartment window. Before his death, Rappaport was openly supportive of Ukraine's resistance to the invasion, and even donated himself to various Ukraine war efforts, as well as encouraging others to do so on his social media. So what do we think actually happened here? This is a tricky one. There are many potential leads that all end up merging together. So was Rappaport pushed out of a window by a political or business rival? Did he jump or did he just accidentally fall? Personally me at the start, I was beginning to think this might be the case where really a cigar is just a cigar. Okay, Rapperport was involved in all this politics and business, but maybe he did just fall. He didn't seem hard enough target to warrant killing. However, there's a lot more to this case than it first appears. Even now after all of this, as we know, Dan Rappaport died from falling out of a window. There are, however, several unusual details I'm yet to mention as I didn't want to bias the listener. From the start, Dan Rappaport owned the Soho Rooms club with a business partner named Sergei to Kachenko, also known in Russia as Sergei Jeff. Sergei Jeff died in January twenty seventeen. He died in Moscow after falling out of the window of his luxury apartment, the same way his business partner Dan Rappaport would die just five years later, an incredible coincidence. There were even more bizarre parts of this case we yet to look into. Rappaport's dog was allegedly found wandering around in a park near his apartment after he'd fallen out of the window and died. Strapped to the dog's collar was a supposed suicide note and for some reason cash. If that wasn't weird enough, there's even more. Rappaport is alleged to be the man behind a pretty popular but fake senior Pentagon Russian analyst known online as David Duberg. Du Berg was regularly quoted by the opposition in Russian and Ukrainian media, and he was cited as a professional analyst, but he didn't exist, and Rappaport is not an analyst. I believe Rappapault was behind a team that were actually the true identities of the people writing under the pseudonym David Duberg. The plot thickens. We'll be looking into all of this in depth in the next episode of sad Oligach. Sad Oliger is a H eleven production for Cool Zone Media and iHeartRadio, hosted, produced, researched, and edited by me Jake Hanrahan and Sergey Slipchenkok co produced by Sophie Lichtman. Music by Sam Black, artwork by Adam mcdoyle, soundmix.
Speaker 1: By Splicing Block.
Speaker 2: Go to Jakehanrahan dot com for more information.