Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast one to eleven productions. iHeartRadio, I Heart Podcast, I Heart Media. Pop Culture Season seven, Episode eleven, Santa's Secret Stuff. Laurel I makes a joke to Rory about driving on the other side and have I introduced our intrepid crew Danielle, Romo, Suzanne and French. Amy is incapacitated at the moment, but she will be joining us ly on the other side of the road. And Christopher claims that his joke, Christopher, that's my joke. If you just made it, you ripped me off. Laurel I, I ripped you. That's like saying Lenny Bruce rips off. Carrot Top or Woody Allen gets his material from what's his name the Guy with the Watermelons, which is Gallagher right. Lenny Bruce was a stand up comedian known for his opening critical style of comedy which contained satire, politics, religion, sects, and vulgarity. Carrat Top is also known as a comedian and actor known for his use of prop comedy. Woody Allen is an actor comedian, filmmaker, writer whose career spans more than six decades, going on to make some of the best comedy films of all time. The Guy with the Watermelons is comedian named Gallagher who in the eighties used a lot of sledgehammers demolishing watermelons that would spray onto the audience. What a concept, What a guy?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 1: Carratop is a nickname for Scott Thompson. He received the nickname from a local swimming coach as a reference to his red hair. That is about the least fascinating story I have ever heard. A side note, Lenny Bruce was an integral character in Amy and Dan's recent show The Marvels Missus masl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that was interesting that they included that Lenny Bruce later became I mean, they didn't write this episode, but I definitely thought about that.
Speaker 1: Well, Lenny, Lenny Bruce was a key figure in the history of modern culture and comedy. I mean he was put on trial, wasn't he. I mean, for God's sake, he was banned and prosecuted for his blue material and yeah stuff, Yeah, very interesting. He quite a tragic ending he had, but he you know he stood out, and you know he wouldn't back down anyway. Uh Amy, go ahead and take this one.
Speaker 4: Hem's to make her case that she did not celebrate Christmas in London without Lorilai. London as a city is very Christmas obsessed. Okay, I couldn't help what was going on around me, but inside, I assure you as devoid of the Christmas spirit, a complete Scrooge. I didn't let any Christmas happen. Lorla says, grinched it up so hard. I didn't even let it snow. Ebenezer Scrooge is a fictional character from Charles dickens eighteen forty three short novel of Christmas Carol. The Grinch is a fictional character from How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Doctor Seuss. Doctor Seuss based a Grinch on himself. I actually did not know that he wrote the book after feeling grouchy around Christmas time. It was due to his wife's ill health and the fact that he thought the holiday was becoming too much about presence.
Speaker 3: WHOA, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 5: Actually, Lorlai believes she needs a muse to write the letter for Luke. She says, maybe it would help if Sharon Stone would appear to me in an alarming caftin and coop inspirational Words in my Ear. Sharon Stone is an actress known for playing mysterious women in film and television. Sharon starred in a nineteen ninety film called The Meuse, where she played a muse for a Hollywood screenwriter played by Albert Brooks. Did you know Sharon was considered academically gifted as a child and entered the second grade when she was five years old?
Speaker 3: WHOA?
Speaker 1: I did not know that that was. That was a great film. That was a really great film, and I understand that it was based on a real life character that yeah, you know, there was somebody trapesing around Hollywood that was cueing inspirational words into the ears of screenwriters.
Speaker 6: Anyway, Danielle lor Lai has yet to tell Christopher she is writing a letter for Luke's custody battle. Rory says, you're you're intentionally not telling him. That's kind of a lie of a mission. Lauraai says, a lie of a mission? Isn't that? An Ashley Judd Morgan Freeman movie. Ashley Judd is an actress and the daughter of country music star Naomi jud Morgan Freeman is an actor, producer, and narrator. Ashley and Morgan have been in several movies together, including Olympus Has Fallen, Dolphin Tail one and two, Along Came a Spider, Kissed the Girls, and High Crimes. And did you know? One of Morgan Freeman's Oscar nominated roles was in Driving Miss Daisy, a movie that inspired the season six episode twenty one episode Driving Miss Gilmore.
Speaker 4: M hm, he's starting to get bothered by Loreleized decision not to tell Christopher Honey. Look, I've been around for a long time. I were leggings the last time they were trendy. I knew Tom Hanks when he was a Bosom Buddy. I have lived and I've learned. Okay, that's actually a very funny one. Tom Hanks is an actor whose films have girls more than four point nine billion in North America and more than nine point nine six billion worldwide. NASA named an asteroid after him, called one two eight one eight Tom Hanks. But we should really spend some time talking about Bosom Buddies, Which is the sitcom in the eighty Is it? Even when it premiered.
Speaker 1: Pierskull, I mean in the late seven Hanks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was thinking late seventies, early eighties. It had that Billy Joel song at the theme song. I don't think he's saying it, but that's a great That was a great show.
Speaker 1: It's a great.
Speaker 4: Time for comedy on television.
Speaker 1: Ry Baso off sharing her opinions to Laura I, but insists she has lived to Rory. Well, you know, mom, I've been around for a while too. I remember Tom Hanks from his Joe Versus the Volcano days. Yeah, you were like five. Joe Versus the Volcano is a nineteen ninety rom com written and directed by John Patrick Shanley, the famous playwright, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. This is first of three films they started together. Did you know that Meg Ryan took an eight year break from Hollywood? She said, I took a giant break because I felt like there was just so many other parts of my experience as a human being. I wanted to develop.
Speaker 5: Brian my my favorite scene. Brian admires Zaxson and asks what he has been working on baby, Oh gosh. Zach says, I wrote one song that was kind of white stripes Little Ghost meets The Decembrists meets gulog Orchestar meets like Losing My Religion meets Jethro Burns on that Steve Goodman album meets Battle of Evermore meets the smith meet Oh my Gosh meets the Smiths meets some other stuff all right. The White Stripes are a rock duo consisting of Jack and Meg White, and I'm going to point out here that Zach and Lane's wedding Cake was a White Stripes album cover. Little Ghost was a song on their fifth album, Get Behind Me Satan. The Decembrists are an indie rock band. Love them gulog Orchestar. I don't know if I'm saying that right is the debut album of the band bea Root. Losing My Religion is a song by Rim Jethro Burns was a mandolinist and one half of the comedy duo Homer and Jethrow. Steve Goodman was a folk and country singer songwriter from Chicago. Battle of Evermore is a folk duet sung by Robert Plant and Sandy Denny, included on led Zeppelin's untitled nineteen seventy one album. The Smiths were an English rock band, and did you know.
Speaker 1: Now the Smiths were one of the biggest English rock bands. One of they changed music they Oh yeah, just an English rock band. There's much more about the smith anyway.
Speaker 5: Did you know? The song Battle of Evermore has instrumentation that features acoustic guitar and amandolin playing, while the lyrics allude to the Lord of.
Speaker 1: The Rings Smiths Johnny Marr, Johnny Marr, Johnny Marr, that guitar sound.
Speaker 6: Oh my, Lane starts to fear that she lost her chance to be a person now that she is pregnant, and Zach says, having babies doesn't mean you can't rock and roll. Lane says, I don't know. Zach says, give me a break. Sonic Youth has a kid and they're still way cool. And McJagger that cat has like fifteen kids and he still goes out in rocks. Sonic Youth was a rock band based in New York City and they were featured in season six finale episode with All the Troubadours. Mick Jagger is an English singer and is the frontman of the rock band The Rolling Stones And did you know Mick Jagger loves ballet? Random He reportedly attends ballet classes and has been seen watching the ballet. He is currently dating former ballerina Melanie Hamrick.
Speaker 4: Laura I writes her letter for Luke as ill be Home for Christmas plays in the background. I'll be Home for Christmas is a Christmas song written by Kim Gannon and recorded in nineteen forty three by Bing Crosby.
Speaker 3: Did you Know?
Speaker 4: In the UK? The BBC banned the song from broadcast. The corporation's management felt the lyrics might lower morale among British troops.
Speaker 1: Oh what wow, Jesus that hard asses?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a whole new crop here. Laureli heads out with her letter as Rory, Christopher and GG decorated cookie. He's Ory, Okay, hurry back. Christmas in July screening in thirty minutes. Christopher, I thought we'd start a new tradition. Christmas in July is a nineteen forty comedy starring Kick Powell and Ellen True. Did you know? Christmas in July was shot in twenty eight days?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Interesting? And on that note, that is going to wrap this episode of Pop Culture. Next episode season seven, episode twelve, to whom it may concern and Thank you ladies, Susanne French, Danielle Romo, Amy Sugarman. We wish you all the best and Merry Christmas everybody and Mary. Merry Christmas everyone in May, at the end of May, going into June, Christmas in June, Christmas in July. What is just see we can celebrate it all year round, keep the cards and letters coming, and remember we and I am all In stay, save.
Speaker 3: Everyone, everybody to forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.